Wonderful Emotion by LeanneP
Summary: "Potter? Lily’s mind screamed. Why in Merlin’s name was he here? This was supposed to be a Head meeting! She turned to Dumbledore who motioned for both students to take a seat.



“Well,” Dumbledore started, “I see you are both thoroughly confused – chocolate frog? No?” His eyes twinkled as he put the chocolate back upon his desk. “Since our previous Head Boy was unable to accept his position-“



“What?” James interrupted, looking very confused. “Remus never said — Oh sorry Professor,” he said, for Dumbledore had raised an eyebrow to halt James.



“As I was saying,” a smiling Dumbledore continued “I am now in a situation that requires me to pick a new Head Boy. So, I have decided that you, James, would be the best choice.”
"




CHAPTER 3 IS ON ITS WAY!!!

Please leave a review!
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 4705 Read: 3855 Published: 07/04/06 Updated: 07/27/06

1. Chapter 1 by LeanneP

2. Chapter 2 by LeanneP

Chapter 1 by LeanneP
Wonderful Emotion
Chapter 1
The four Marauders, wearing black tuxedos, stood at the front of the church as the flower girls and maids of honour came down the centre isle. A young man with messy, raven black hair stood in the centre of the platform just in front of the priest. He nervously rubbed his sweaty palms together.

He felt a hand on his shoulder giving him an encouraging squeeze and heard a whisper in his ear. “Calm down James! You’re a bloody mess!”

James turned and gave Sirius, his best man, a weak smile.

Suddenly, a loud fart echoed around the building. Remus, a dirty-blonde boy on the other side of Sirius, quickly turned and slapped Peter, a small mousy looking boy with light brown hair, upside the head. Peter quickly mouthed “sorry” to James and looked down at his feet. James tried to laugh but found that his mouth was too dry.

The doors at the back of the church opened and out stepped the bride, with her father on her arm. James fell in love all over again as he awaited the arrival of his bride at the altar. He just wanted to run up to her, throw off her veil, see her beautiful face and then kiss her… He stopped himself; he had to be patient.

She gracefully stepped up and took his hand. Chills ran down his spine as she gave his hand a light squeeze. He just stared at her. He still could not see her face but was mesmerized by her beauty all the same.

The whole ceremony went by in a blur. Finally the priest said the phrase that James had been waiting for:

“You may now kiss the bride.”

James reached over and began to lift up the veil, desperate to see her stunning face; he saw one fiery-red curl...

“JAMES! YOU HAVE TO GET UP! THE TRAIN LEAVES IN TWENTY MINUTES! AND IF WE MISS THE TRAIN YOUR MOM IS GOING TO HAVE OUR HEADS!”

James rolled over, squinted, and then gave a loud groan. Of course, Sirius had to interrupt him just before he saw her face! He grabbed his pillow and threw it at his best friend, who was leaning over him, grinning.

Sirius easily dodged the pillow and in a high-pitched, mother-like voice, screamed “GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE!” He then grabbed the pillow and threw it right back at James, who got it square in the face.

James, remembering that he was going back to Hogwarts today, jumped out of bed, elbowed Sirius out of the way and then raced to the bathroom. He was just about there when Sirius, who was right behind him, muttered something under his breath. James fell face first into the cold hardwood floor, hit by Sirius’s Trip Jinx. James got up just in time to have the bathroom door slammed in the face and to hear Sirius yell out, “Prongs, you still haven’t beaten me. I’m disappointed.”

James laughed. “Next time, Padfoot, next time!”

Turning, he jogged back to his room. He hastily grabbed his trunk and stuffed all of his books and other school-supplies in it. He then went over to his bed, kneeled down, reached under his mattress and found what he was looking for. In his hand he held a small box, not much bigger than a ring case, with outlines of a dog, a stag, a rat, and a moon carved into the wood. He carefully placed it into his trunk knowing that he couldn’t afford to break any of the “special equipment” that was held in it.

After he was finished packing, he raced upstairs and jumped in the cold shower. He knew that he would miss the train if he spent the time trying to fix his hair; so, slightly unenthusiastically, James just put a pair of beige cords and a light blue t-shirt on, grabbed his trunk and ran downstairs.

Sirius was already in the kitchen, everything he could reach in his mouth. Since he obviously didn’t bother to dry his wavy black hair, the water was slowly dripping off the ends, landing onto his now soggy-looking toast.

“Padfoot, all you have to do is cast a simple drying spell. I still don’t understand why you always just ‘leave it to nature.’” James laughed and did an impression of Sirius.

“Prongs, ‘ole boy, it is something, I fear, you will never understand.” He paused and sighed for effect. “The ladies love it, and who am I but their humble servant?” Sirius grinned and went back to eating.

“You’re right. I will never understand how a wet-dog looks good.” They both started laughing and James grabbed two pieces of toast and put one in his pocket for later. “Mum!” he yelled out, “We’re about to leave!” He quickly inhaled his toast as his mom rushed into the room.

Cindy Potter was a tall, lean woman with curly brown hair and warm brown eyes. “OK, boys. Let’s be on our way, the train leaves in five minutes!”

CRACK! CRACK! CRACK!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Once on Platform 9 ¾, James and Sirius quickly said their good-byes to Mrs. Potter. As the train whistled loudly, they rushed onto the train to find Remus and Peter, wanting desperately to discuss their start-of-the-year prank.

After being attacked by the “fan club,” Sirius and James quickly found Remus and Peter in the self- proclaimed Marauder compartment near the back of the train. James sat down right next to Peter, who was staring out of the window and humming a song, and faced Remus and Sirius.

“They get worse every year!” James complained (he had never really liked having a fan club). “It’s like they don’t understand what ‘back off’ means!”

“Prongs, my poor fellow, you’re just complaining because you know that my fan club is bigger then yours… All because I’m the better-looking one,” Sirius stated.

James just rolled his eyes. It was somewhat true: Even though James, Sirius, and Remus were the most sought after and popular boys in the school, the girls always liked Sirius the best… it had something to do with the fact that he had ‘mysterious gray eyes’…

James’s thoughts were interrupted as the compartment door swung open and the one person the Marauders despised the most stepped in. A young man with greasy black hair and hooked nose stepped inside and looked around the compartment- Severus Snape. Snape shot James a dirty look, and then turned to Remus.

“You have a meeting in the heads compartment,” Snape said quickly, in a cold voice. Then he added to James, “Better not keep the Mud blood waiting.”


James found himself on his feet, growling dangerously. “How dare you “!” he snarled as he reached quickly for his wand.

“Jumping to the rescue of your little girlfriend?” Snape interrupted. “Oh, that’s right,” he continued, upon seeing the look in James eyes when he said ‘girlfriend’. “Even a Mudblood won’t go you with you. Filthy blood traitor.”

Remus quickly placed a firm hand on James’ shoulder. No good would come from hitting Snape (other than feeling a great deal better), and they all knew it.

When James didn’t reply, Snape smirked.

Sirius, who had been trying to find his wand on the floor, jumped up and started towards Snape, wand in hand. “Why you little gre “”

James put a hand in front of Sirius, pushed him back, and shook his head.

Snape glared malevolently at the Marauders once more before turning and slamming the door in their faces.

Remus quickly moved and blocked the doorway so that James couldn’t get out. Several things were obvious here. First, everyone in Hogwarts knew that James fancied Lily Evans; it was even clearer that a girl as smart as Lily Evans would become Head Girl, and was therefore understandable that James would react the way he did when Snape called Lily a ‘Mudblood’.

Remus pushed past and said, in a very calm voice, “Prongs, you did the right thing.” After an undying pause, James nodded “ albeit stiffly “ and Remus exited the compartment.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


James pretended to be watching Sirius and Peter play wizards’ chess, while imagining how he could murder Snape (in the slowest and most painful manor possible).

Bury him alive? Lock him in the astronomy tower? Feed him to Moony? James began to mutter to himself, cursing Snape. Eventually, after resting on dull hedge clippers James’s mind slowly but surely drifted to a more enjoyable topic… Lily Evans.

Lily was the smartest girl in their year, and, in James’ eyes, the prettiest too. James had always fancied her. He thought everything about her was attractive… right down to her fiery red hair (complete with matching temper) and sparkling emerald eyes that radiated with warmth, compassion, and knowledge, and that lit up when she was frustrated. Like every time she saw James…

James didn’t understand why Lily hated him. He was the second most popular guy in school (Sirius being the first). He was the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team! He was good looking, well built… Smart… though, admittedly, he didn’t share that quality with the greater student body. Why wasn’t all that enough? Every other girl in the school seemed to think that it was, but then again, Lily wasn’t every other girl.

If this was going to be his year, James realized, he would have to make some changes, especially if he was going to have a shot with Lily. Nothing was going to get in his way!

Pictures of Lily in his mind were abruptly ended as Sirius threw a box of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans at him.

“Oi, Prongs, quit day dreaming!” Sirius said jokingly.

“Shut up Padfoot! Can’t you give me a couple of minutes without your constant yapping?” James retorted, a grin creeping onto his lips.

“AHA!” Sirius screeched, “NEVER! Now, will you accept a Wizard’s Chess challenge form the Wise and Powerful Sirius Black?”

James lips curled into an all-out smirk. “Wise and powerful?” he repeated incredulously. “More like mad and pathetic.”

Sirius tried his best to look insulted as he replied in an indignant tone. “Sir, thou art a mad man, not I! Wilt thou accept my challenge, or art thou a spineless stag?”

“I accept thy challenge with pleasure,” James replied. “Prepare to feel the wrath of the Great and Mighty Potter!”

Sirius scoffed. “Is that all you could think of, Jamesy? ‘Great and Mighty’?”

James rolled his eyes, as Sirius continued.

“Fine then, young foe let us BEGIN!”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Outside the compartment yells of joy and anger, as well as the occasional bark-like laugh, could be heard. Halfway through the intense chess game, Remus re-entered the compartment and sat next to Sirius and watched the conclusion of this game.

“Please give it up for the exceedingly handsome and intelligent Wizard Chess Champion, Mr. Sirius Black!” Sirius yelled, a large grin plastered across his face. Peter was jumping up and down and clapping his small chubby hands together while staring up at Sirius in awe.

“Shut up Padfoot,” James said calmly. “You too, Wormtail. So, Moony,” he continued, eyes rolling, trying his best to change the subject from his embarrassing defeat, “how did the head meeting go?”

“Well, Lily did all the talking, and I just sat there while she talked to Professor McGonagall… duties, upcoming balls,” Remus replied, stuffing a spirited chocolate frog into his mouth and obviously not wanting to talk about it for some reason.

“Well, sounds rather boring! Glad I don’t have to do it!” James replied lightly, not wanting to press him. “Now, on to important Marauder business…”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lily Evans sat quietly in the head compartment thinking over what Remus had just told her and Professor McGonagall. What would the Headmaster do? Had this ever happened before?

She dismissed the questions as she realized that she would find out soon and that there was no point in guessing. She decided to stay in the compartment not wanting to be reminded that two of her best friends, Alice Carnahan and Frank Longbottom, had graduated the year before. Lily quickly changed into her school robes, picked up her book and started to read, while hoping that Amanda would understand why she wanted to be alone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The rest of the train ride went by quickly for the Marauders, and they soon found themselves entering the Great Hall. They quickly sat down at the end of the table “ where they always sat “ and watched the Sorting Hat sing. Watching the first years get sorted, the Marauders would clap and cheer when one was placed in Gryffindor.

As the last girl (“Zail, Carolyn!”) was sorted into Ravenclaw, James chanced a glance over at Lily. She smiling and clapping, looking gorgeous. She had grown even more beautiful over the summer it seemed. James quickly looked away, not wanting to get caught staring. What have I gotten myself into?







A/N: Thanks for reading! PLEASE Review!

Leanne


Chapter 2 by LeanneP
Wonderful Emotion

Chapter 2


Disclaimer: It’s all Jo’s!




”LILY! Over here!” Amanda yelled as she jumped up and down (while most of the people in the Great Hall stared at her), waving her arms excitedly. “I saved a seat for you!”


Lily, smiling, ran up to Amanda and pulled her into a tight embrace. Amanda looked gorgeous. Lily had always thought that she was pretty, but it looked like the summer had really transformed her. Her curly blonde hair had grown out and was now down to the top of her rib cage. She had grown a few inches, and had lost a bit of weight. Her eyes were still brown but they seemed to sparkled brighter.


“You have no idea how much I missed you this summer, Petunia’s been absolutely terrible!” Lily whispered dramatically. “We have so much to talk about!”


Amanda laughed. “I missed you too Lils! I was so disappointed when you had to cancel our shopping trip, but when you’re sick, you’re sick!”


“Sorry about not sitting with you on the train, I had Head duty’s and “” Her voice trailed off, and Amanda smiled knowingly.


“I know, Lils… it’s OK to miss them.”


Lily smiled at Amanda “Thanks.”


“HEY, EVANS!”


Lily turned around to find Sirius Black standing inches away from her face; he smiled roguishly. “You’re not the only one who wants a hug from Noble!”


Lily rolled her eyes as Sirius grabbed Amanda and spun her around.


“SIRIUS BLACK, YOU LET ME DOWN THIS INSTANT!”


Lily Evans smiled.



>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



A seventh year redhead lay quietly in her bed, staring at the ceiling. She smiled widely to herself. This was how things were supposed to be, she belonged at Hogwarts and was ecstatic to be back home. Of course she loved her parents more than anyone else in the world, but it wasn’t as if she would never see them again… besides, she needed a break from Petunia.


Lily burrowed deeper into her covers and looked over at the sleeping form of her only close friend left in Hogwarts.


Amanda Noble hadn’t even been slightly irritated with Lily when she hadn’t sat with her on the train. She had completely understood that Lily needed time to adjust to the lack of Alice and Frank.


Alice, Lily and Amanda had been best friends since they met, and had readily accepted Frank into their circle when he and Alice had started dating. They had all been heartbroken when Alice and Frank graduated, but Lily was slowly getting used to the idea.


“Lily?” Amanda whispered half-asleep, “are you still awake?”


Lily smiled to herself and pulled up her cover more as she watched her friend roll back over, and fall back asleep, drool running down the side of her mouth.


Lily’s thoughts shifted to Remus. Why hadn’t he told her about him being a werewolf before? She had been close with Remus since fifth year, when they were prefects together, but she had never guessed that he was a werewolf. She had, of course, noticed his repetitive absences, but Remus was a fragile looking person (though very good looking and very strong in spirit) so it was not so unbelievable that he was ill, or that he had an ill family member. But why did he give his badge back?


“Hello Lils,” said a quiet voice, as Lily lifted her head from her book to see who was entering the Head’s Compartment.


“Remus!” she beamed as she stood and pulled him into a friendly embrace. “I am so glad that you’re Head Boy! I was so nervous that I might have to work with someone hard to get along with!” Lily winked.


Remus just mumbled something into her shoulder, which was slightly muffled, considering the tight hold, and sat to next to her looking slightly nervous and pale.


After a few minutes of talk about summers the compartment door swung open and Professor McGonagall walked in and sat on the seat across from them.


“Dumbledore has chosen well this year, as he does every year.” The professor started out with only a hint of a smile on her lips as she looked at both students. “I am looking forward to seeing your work throughout the year on the balls and so forth. I am only here for a few minutes to remind you that this is a great honor you have both received, and that I will be expecting you to behave with the utmost responsibility. You are ambassadors and role models from Gryffindor--”


“Professor,” Remus interrupted softly “ I can’t,” and Remus put his badge in the professor’s hand



When Remus had given Professor McGonagall his Head Boy badge back, McGonagall had look unsurprised, and had simply asked him what his reasons were. His response was calm and regretful explaining that he did not feel capable of shouldering Head responsibility as well as having to worry about his condition.


“Condition?” Lily had asked, worried that Remus had contracted a strangely fatal disease, or else was under some sort of curse.


Professor McGonagall looked sadly at Lily, for Remus was looking forlornly at his trainers.


“Mr. Lupin has Lycanthropy.”


Lily had stared, something stirring in her memory. Then, as she looked at Professor McGonagall’s round glasses, it clicked. Lycanthropy.


“You… you’re a werewolf?”



Remus had left straight away, not giving Lily time enough to recover from shock. McGonagall had left shortly after that, saying to Lily only that she would find a suitable Head Boy replacement by tomorrow. She would be expected in the Headmaster’s office when a replacement had been chosen to go over Head responsibilities. The professor quietly added that Remus would most likely not want the state of his condition spread around the school, and that Lily should talk to him about it before speaking about it to anyone else.


During the feast Lily had tried to figure out whom she was most likely to be working with. She was hoping that it would be someone that she got along with, but when she finished the process of elimination of all 7th year boys, she found that the most likely to fill Remus’ position was Ferex House, a Hufflepuff, who also happened to be Lily’s ex-boyfriend.


Ferex and Lily had gone out for most of fifth year, but when Lily broke up with him they had become enemies.


Ferex had seemed like a sweet, intelligent, sensitive person when he had asked out Lily (plus it had really ticked off Potter), so Lily had immediately accepted. They had been the ‘perfect couple’ for the first 6 months of the relationship; but things steadily grew sour between the two. Lily had soon found out that Ferex was a jealous, protective, and competitive person who hated to lose. He became angry with Lily when she bested him in academics, which was often. He would yell at her when she talked to Potter (which she only ever did to tell him off) because she was ‘supposed to be his girlfriend’.


During one of their evening walks, an argument broke out; when Lily had called him an ‘arrogant pig’ Ferex had slapped her. She had screamed in anger and when he had raised his hand to strike her again she hexed him so with such force that he flew back eight feet and hit a wall, rendering him unconscious. Lily had left him there and when she re-entered the common room she discovered it to be completely emptied except for the Remus. He had quickly rushed over to her.


“Lily what happened? The side of your face is bleeding and red!” Remus had asked gently.


She had told them what happened and made him promise not to tell anyone.


The next day Lily made sure that the school knew that the relationship was over, though no one save, Lily, Remus, Alice, Amanda and Ferex knew the circumstances.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



James woke up the next day to the sound of Sirius shouting in his ear, “FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, PRONGS!”


To that James chuckled slightly, just as Sirius tackled him to the floor, as he had been stretching.


The Marauders were in the Great Hall early, and James quickly scanned the table for a sign of flaming red hair, but found none. He and the rest of the Marauders were soon eating every piece of food within reach while Professor McGonagall gave out the schedules. James quickly looked over his new classes: Double Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, and (amazingly) a free period. He shoved the piece of paper into his bag and continued to eat.


“Prongs, what’s this note about?” Sirius asked, looking slightly putout. “Did you pull something without telling us!”


James grabbed the small note from Sirius’s hand


Mr. Potter,
Go straight to the Head Masters office once you have finished breakfast, and bring your books with you.


Professor McGonagall



James had no idea what the note was about (and told Sirius so) but, he was curious, so he immediately told the rest of the marauders that he would meet up with him at lunch and walked out of the great hall, passing his favorite red-head as he did, and flashing her his most handsome smile. She glared at him and turned back to Amanda, who winked and smiled at him.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



Lily stood outside the door to the Head Masters office preparing herself for the meeting with Ferex. She had gotten a note at breakfast to go to the Head Masters office when she was done, and was preparing for the worst. She took a deep breath and was about to knock when she heard Dumbledore’s voice.


“Come in, Miss Evans.”


Lily stood breathless as she looked around the room she now stood in. With a flare of curiosity, she realized that she had never been in the Headmaster’s office before, but was glad that she eventually got that chance (especially in these circumstances). Her eyes slowly took in every detail, from the books, to the smiling portraits, each staring down with dignity and poorly disguised intrigue. She looked over at the Headmaster and smiled, and turned her head and saw the most beautiful bird “ crimson plumage with dots of gold upon the sleek tail feathers, and a grin of satisfaction and contentment “ she had ever seen being stroke and cooed to by another surprised, smiling person.


Potter? Her mind screamed. Why in Merlin’s name was he here? This was supposed to be a Head meeting! She turned to Dumbledore who motioned for both students to take a seat.


“Well,” Dumbledore started, “I see you are both thoroughly confused “ chocolate frog? No?” His eyes twinkled as he put the chocolate back upon his desk. “Since our previous Head Boy was unable to accept his position-“


“What?” James interrupted, looking very confused. “Remus never said ” Oh sorry Professor,” he said, for Dumbledore had raised an eyebrow to halt James.


“As I was saying,” a smiling Dumbledore continued “I am now in a situation that requires me to pick a new Head Boy. So, I have decided that you, James, would be the best choice.”


Lily’s mind screamed. She would be working with him?



Dumbledore continued to talk about their responsibilities as Heads, but Lily only half-listened. She sat glued in her seat, thinking of all the horrible things about Potter. This was worse than anything she could have imagined! Why would Dumbledore pick him? Did Dumbledore know that Potter was a well-known troublemaker, who found enjoyment in beating up other students? Lily shook her head and focused all of her attention on what the Headmaster was saying about the Head Office.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>




Once out of the Headmaster’s office Lily quickly walked to her next class, not wanting to lose her temper in front of the group of first years that were on their way to their second class, so she let her mind do the screaming instead.


What does Dumbledore think he’s doing! Everyone knows that I loathe James!


Would you Ferex House? The sensible part of her mind replied. At least Potter isn’t violent towards you


No, he just picks on every other person in the school besides his little friends! He disgusts me! In my mind he is just as bad as House! That…. stupid…. idiot…worthless….


“Lily?…Lily?….LILY!”


“Wh..what?”


“You know your muttering to yourself right?”


Lily looked over at Amanda as the Common Room came into focus and mumbled a quick explanation about being stressed and over tired.


“Lils, it’s the end of the first day of classes and you the smartest person in…the world, there is no way you can be stressed already!” Amanda pointed out and tried to change the subject. “What happened at that meeting with Dumbledore today?”


“Nothing,” Lily replied shortly.


“Come on, Lils! What aren't you telling me?" She seemed to ask this with a slight devilish grin.


Lily snapped.


“WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO NOSY? DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU EVERYTHING? I DON”T THINK SO! YOU’RE JUST LIKE POTTER! YOU THINK THE WHOLE BLOODY WORLD SHOULD BOW DOWN AND KISS THE HEM OF YOUR ROBES!” Lily screeched “WELL I WON”T!”


Amanda just sat on the armchair looking surprised, hurt and confused, as her fuming best friend stormed out of the Common Room, pushing people out of her way as she did.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



Amanda woke the next morning wondering about Lily, who hadn’t come back the night before. She turned on her side and found a note pinned (via a light sticking spell) to her pillow. She opened it carefully and smiled, recognizing the neat curly writing instantly.


Dearest Amanda,


I am so, so sorry for the way I treated you last night. I had no right to be angry with you. All you have ever done is be the best of friends to me, even when it was hard. I also had no right to compare you to Potter. You are a kind, caring, beautiful person ( in a few words), everything that he is not. I hope that in time you will be able to forgive my rude and appalling behavior but I will understand if you cannot.


You will always hold a special place in my heart even though you may find that hard to believe.

Lily



Amanda smiled and laughed as she read the ridiculously formal letter: every letter was an essay to Lily Evans. But Lily sure knew how to make her feel better, and Amanda knew that… that’s why they were best friends






A/N: I hope you liked it (although it was fairly short)! Please review with any comments and suggestions you may have (encouragement is always GREAT too! :D). Thanks to those of you that have waited for chapter two…chapter 3 should be arriving in a short while! And an even BIGGER thanks to those who helped out!

Leanne