Black Bloods by Sly Severus
Summary: Sirius has left his family, and now he's staying with James for the summer. He should be having the time of his life, but he's not. He's worrying about his brother, and reconsidering his choice to leave. A chance encounter with someone he hasn't seen in years helps him make up his mind, once and for all.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1456 Read: 1769 Published: 07/05/06 Updated: 07/07/06

1. Chapter 1 by Sly Severus

Chapter 1 by Sly Severus
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer:: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.


A sixteen year old Sirius Black lay on his bed, and stared at the ceiling. He was feeling sorry for himself, which was absolutely idiotic. He knew he should be grateful to have a bed to lie on. After leaving his family, the Potters welcomed him graciously into their home. If it weren’t for them, he could have ended up all alone.

He was thankful for all the Potters had done for him, but this was a hard night for him. It was Regulus’ birthday. It would be the first one his big brother wasn’t there for. He felt guilty. He hated the thought of his brother being alone, with their psychotic parents, in that huge house, especially on his birthday.

James came bounding into his room. “What are you doing, mate?” he demanded. “This is our first night of summer vacation. We have two months of freedom! No McGonagall, no detentions, no Filch, and no Snivellus. We should be celebrating. This is our last summer before graduation. I have some Dungbombs under my bed.”

“Not now, Prongs,” Sirius muttered, as he rolled over to face the wall.

“What’s wrong? I thought this was going to be the best summer ever. We’re going to be together the whole time. We can get into lots of trouble, and you can help me think of ways to make Evans love me.”

“Kill the giant squid.”

“Huh?”

“Lily told you that she would date the giant squid before you. If you kill it, her options will be limited.”

James threw a pillow at him. “You’re sick.”

Sirius rolled over, and grinned at him. James always had a way of lifting his spirits. Even when Sirius was at his lowest.

“Are you going to tell me what’s bothering you?” James asked.

“It’s Reg’s birthday,” he admitted. “I just wish I could be with him. I sent him a gift this morning. I hope Mom doesn’t find out, she’ll take it from him. She already forbid him to talk to me. He’s my brother!”

“What did you send him?”

Sirius grinned, his wicked grin. “I sent him ten Dungbombs and a Fanged Frisbee.”

“Even if you were there, your mother would have taken those away from him. You should have sent him our Snivellus Book, 101 Ways to Make Snivellus Cry. He’s in Slytherin; he’ll have more chances to try out our ideas.”

“He likes Snivellus.”

“Honestly, your brother has no class.”

“My parents would disagree with you.”

“Your parents and I disagree on a lot of things. You’re not having second thoughts about leaving, are you?”

“No, I just worry about him. Reg has always been a follower. I’m scared they’re going to push him into something he doesn’t want to do. I wish I could be there to help him, that’s all.” As soon as he finished speaking, Sirius wondered if he had told his friend the truth.

“He’ll be fine. After all, he’s your brother. Even if he does like Snivellus, he’s a pretty smart kid. I wouldn’t worry about him.”

Sirius nodded. “Thanks, James.”

Sirius waited a few seconds before he said anything more. He was debating rather or not it was a good idea. Finally, he concluded that he didn’t care rather or not it was a good idea. He felt that he had to do it.

“Prongs, do you think your parents would mind if I borrowed some Floo powder?”

“No, they wouldn’t mind, but what do you need it for? You’re not going back to your parents’ house, are you? I know you miss your brother, but going back there won’t make things any better.”

“I’m not going back there,” Sirius told him, firmly. “I just need some time alone.” He stood to leave.

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere secluded,” Sirius replied, as he left the room.

James stared after him, with a concerned expression on his face.

Sirius was relieved to reach the Potters’ living room, without running into either of James’ parents. He didn’t want to answer anymore questions. He didn’t have any answers. He didn’t know why he felt compelled to do this. It was stupid. He was just going to make himself more depressed. But somehow, he felt certain that he had to do it.

He threw a handful of Floo powder into the fireplace, and clearly said, “Black Family Cabin.”

A few seconds later, he appeared in a fireplace many miles away. He stepped into a living room that was as big as the Potter’s whole house. The Blacks never did anything halfway. Even a cabin, designed for camping, had to be luxurious for a Black.

To Sirius’ surprise someone was sitting on the black leather sofa, in the center of the room. He had not expected anyone to be there. His family only used this place late in August. It was vacant the rest of the year. But not that night.

The woman on the sofa turned to face him; her long blonde hair falling behind her. He recognized her, at once, although it had been several years since he had last seen his cousin, Andromeda. She had aged ten years. Her once sparkling eyes looked dull and tired. She had lost weight, and even her hair seemed limper.

“What are you doing here?” she asked him. “Shouldn’t you be at your brother’s birthday party?”

“I”I left home,” he stammered. “Mother would hardly welcome me at a party.”

Andromeda motioned for him to join her on the sofa. He did. It felt good to see her again. She had always been his favorite cousin.

“You look tired,” he said to her, in a gentle voice.

A smile spread across her face. “You try taking care of three year old, and see how you look.”

Sirius was relieved to see the sparkle return to her eyes. She was still his big cousin. The only one who had always been nice to him. He could still remember when she would sit and play Exploding Snap with him for hours.

“How is your daughter?” he asked her.

“Energetic. I think she may turn out to be a lot like her big cousin, in a few years. She gets the same mischievous glint in her eyes that you used to.”

“I wish I could meet her.”

“You can, if you like. My door is always opened to you, Sirius. What happened between you and your parents? Where are you staying?”

“I’m staying with my best mate, James Potter, and his parents. They’ve been really good to me. And I left home because I had to. I just couldn’t take anymore of their pureblood ideals. They talked about my friends like they were rubbish. I couldn’t live with them anymore.”

“I understand.”

“But then I start to wonder if I did the right thing. I’m worried about Regulus. He didn’t want me to leave, and I’m scared Mother will pressure him into joining the Death Eaters. And what about the Potters? They’ve been really great, but it’s not their responsibility to take care of me. Sometimes I think I should just suck it up, and go back.”

“You shouldn’t do that,” his cousin told him. “You did the right thing by getting out. We’re not children to our parents; we’re possessions. If you stayed, they would have used you. They would have done everything they could to get you to join the Dark Lord. That’s what being a Black is about.”

“But what about Regulus? Don’t you worry about Bella and Cissy?”

“I worry about them a lot, but they chose to stay. I don’t get to decide for my sisters. I only get to decide for myself. It’s the same for you. You can’t decide for Regulus. If he wants to go against our family he will, but it has to be his choice. You’ve already made your choice, and you shouldn’t go back on it. You can survive without your parents. You’re probably better off without them. You’re strong. You always have been. And if you need me, I’ll be there for you. You still have family.”

“Thanks,” Sirius told her. She had said exactly what he needed to hear.

“We Black-Bloods need to stick together, especially us outcasts.”

“You’re right,” he agreed.

They remained on the sofa for a long time. They sat in silence, simply being grateful that they had each other.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=53990