The Seduction of Hermione Granger by anAnachronism
Summary: A look at the one character we all like to argue about after HBP, Severus Snape and his own personal plans now that he's no longer employed at Hogwarts.
Categories: Hermione/Snape Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2460 Read: 5880 Published: 07/08/06 Updated: 07/14/06

1. The Seduction of Hermione Granger by anAnachronism

The Seduction of Hermione Granger by anAnachronism
Author's Notes:
My first fic, please be generous. And don't be afraid to comment, I'm told the bunnies love those sorts of things.
The Seduction of Hermione Granger


Unbeknownst to the rowdy crowd at The Bashful Banshee Tavern , they were harboring a murderer and a fugitive. Said offender was cloaked and secluded into a dark corner. This was not unusual though. The tavern had been specifically built (or bewitched) to have far more corners than would be considered architecturally possible and most of it’s customers wear cloaks. (At least, they enter wearing cloaks. If they have too many drinks they might be persuaded to remove their cloaks and then one realizes that they are really much preferable when cloaked.) However removing his cloak, interacting with others, was the last thing this particular man would imagine doing.

Severus Snape was a man following his own agenda.

The goal he had been striving for since born with an unseemly large nose that instantly ostracized him from his peers, acceptance, had long been forgotten as he grew increasingly obsessed with power. Fortunately, he had the opportunity to observe the two most powerful wizards of his time.

Most unfortunately, he had had to kill the more sensible one.

Regrettable though it was, the old man had been slipping. First he had somehow caught a curse that had begun eating away at his body (starting with his hand) and then he’d asked Severus to kill him. After much persuasion, Severus had acquiesced the request. (He was also saving his own neck in the process.)

Murdering a wizard as deeply loved as Albus Dumbledore did have its drawbacks. For one, Severus was forced to hide in pubs as seedy and suspicious as his current location. And for another, his link to the powerful wizards of “the good” side was cut off.

Currently, Severus was very interested in collecting talented individuals, who would help insure power. Like many before him, he saw the strategic position as a teacher observing young wizards growth. Unlike the “Dark Lord”, as he was so fond of calling himself, Severus realized that most purebloods were not very powerful magicians.

However, this famed Dark Lord was still in power so Severus had to move about discreetly. He realized that his plans would eventually call for an overthrow of the Dark Lord, but he would cross that bridge when he came to it. For now, Severus was busy recruiting.

Muggleborns sometimes made the best wizards, he reflected. One Lily Evans came to mind; she had been imperative to his extensive potions knowledge. Unfortunately, she’d displayed a shocking lack of common sense, wedded James Potter and then gotten herself killed to save her son.

The boy had all of James’s arrogance and none of Lily’s brains. All around quite a disappointment. However, the boy had led his attention to another Muggleborn, brightest in her class, powerful witch and charming to boot. Hermione Granger. Yes, Severus could see that she was a potentially extremely useful instrument. If he played his cards right, he was confidant he could woo her to his cause.

Smirking to himself, the Half Blood Prince refilled his glass of vodka and plotted his next move.

o o o o o o o


That very next morning, Hermione Granger was learning how to drive.

“Keep your hands steady on the wheel. Don’t press too hard on the gas! No, now you’re not using any gas at all, just a gentle constant pressure…” Mr. Granger coached his daughter as their bland sedan inched down the street in the early light of sunrise.

“Dad, look, this is completely unnecessary,” Hermione insisted. “I have my Apparition license, why do you insist I learn to drive?” Deep down, she was terrified of the vehicle. It was far too large and clumsy, and her father had not let her enchant it to avoid accidents. (“You should be able to drive without any help.”)

“Now, your Aspotation license is very nice and all, but I would like to see my daughter able to survive without a wand.”

Hermione rolled her eyes, she knew it was helpless, her parents were very accepting, and rather proud, of her witching ways, but could not accept that magic replaced most Muggle conveniences. She should be grateful that they allowed her to use her wand freely when home for the holidays, unlike Harry, whose relatives tried to lock him up at every chance possible.

Finally, after a lot of coaxing from Mr. Granger and anxiety from Hermione, they reached the dental office where Hermione’s parents practiced.

“See? It wasn’t that bad,” Mr. Granger insisted jovially. Hermione merely clutched the wheel and took deep breaths.

“I think I’ll apparate to my interview,” she stated weakly.

“That’s fine, take it one step at a time. And good luck,” Mr. Granger placed a light kiss on Hermione’s cheek and exited the car. She waited for him to dissapear from sight before reaching for her wand.

A soft noise behind her made her turn around. She could have sworn she’d seen the hem of a black cloak vanish behind a cement pillar. She crept over to the spot: nothing.

Sighing with relief, Hermione fixed the Leaky Cauldron in her mind and turned on the spot. Her interview at Flourish & Blotts was at 8:07 exactly and she didn’t want to be late.
o o o o o o o


Severus Snape emerged from the dark shadow in which he had been hiding and approached the spot from which Hermione had apparated. She had done it so subtly; there hadn’t even been a sound. Impressive indeed, Severus noted.

There was still a small thread of residue from her apparition. Severus concentrated upon and turn as well, feeling his way into space.

When he opened his eyes he saw to his surprise he was at the Leaky Cauldron. Throwing up the hood of his cloak to obscure his face he entered. Where had the blasted girl gone? Ah! He spotted a few locks of bushy hair as they swept out the back door of the pub. He waited a few minutes before exiting and opening up the entrance to Diagon Alley.

Once inside the rather empty shop lane, it was easy to follow Granger from a distance. She was entering the bookstore. Severus snorted to himself; she was terrifically over-qualified for the job. Still, he could understand the need to earn some money between school terms, having frequently done so himself after his second year. He began strolling along the streets, hopefully her interview wouldn’t take too long.

o o o o o o o


Hermione re-emerged from the shop, grinning triumphantly. She had successfully obtained the job and could now look forward to early mornings surrounded by books. Also, (and more importantly), she could receive the employee discount on her frequent purchases.

Elated, she strolled out of Diagon Alley, and the Leaky Cauldron and into London, deciding to treat herself to a nice cup of tea. She was in such a buoyant mood that she failed to notice the dark spectre trailing her. It followed down one block and up another until she reached a cozy little teashop. The shadow paused a few moments before entering after her. The eyes of the Muggle owners in the store slid over the figure as though he weren’t there.

The shadow then glided over to where Hermione had just sat down with her tea and was retrieving a small book from her bag. Severus thanked Hermione silently for having chosen a booth rather secluded from both the street and the counter. The shop, also, was mercifully empty.

“Good morning, Miss Granger.”

Hermione’s brown eyes snapped upwards, recognizing the voice instantly.

“You,” she hissed, rising from her seat.

“Please, there is no need to stand up on my account,” Severus Snape smirked and sat down.

Flustered, Hermione sat down again. On one hand, he was a professor, someone she had respected for many years. But on the other hand, he had murdered Dumbledore, constantly aggravated her at school and belittled her. Oh, and her best friend wanted to murder him, she probably shouldn’t forget that either. Not to mention that his presence always made her feel as though she were blundering blindly through whatever subject matter was at hand.

“What do you want?” she asked cautiously, her tone no more friendly than it had been when he’d first surprised her.

“I suppose you could say I want what you want,” Snape drawled idly. His beetle black eyes were fixed intently on her face. It unnerved her slightly that they didn’t blink. She blinked her own golden brown eyes and looked away.

“To be honest, Miss Granger, you were my brightest pupil.”

Hermione frowned. He wasn’t a teacher any more, so what was his purpose, coming to her like this? Hadn’t he already proved himself to be a traitor?

“Yes, I know you are no doubt wondering why I chose to visit you, and at such an inopportune moment. I was hoping, that as one of the more reasonable, I would be able to approach you without receiving numerous death threats in one sentence,” Snape continued.

“You killed Dumbledore,” she whispered venomously.

Did they really think it was as simple as that? Severus wondered to himself. “He was dying, Miss Granger. I would have thought, with all your extensive book knowledge, that you would have recognized La Mort Noire when you saw it.”

“The ancient Gall curse? But I had thought that was legend. How on earth could a wizard attempt to duplicate it?” Hermione leaned over her cup of tea, curious.

Ah ha, Severus thought, curiousity seems to be her weakness. Out loud, he spoke, “I do not attempt to imagine how or why Dumbledore stumbled upon such a curse. He did not see it important to share such information with me. Rather, he asked me if I could, when the time was right, finish the job quickly and spare him the agony of having his flesh slowly consumed.”

Hermione was silent for a few moments, digesting the information. “But couldn’t he have alerted others, or even just one other person, about his condition?”

“Think of the consequences,” Severus countered. “To admit that you will die inevitably makes you appear weak in the eyes of others. Or at the very least stirs a protective instinct. Dumbledore has long been a figurehead for security, if it were known that he was ill, people would no longer trust their children to be adequately protected.”

As Snape’s words washed over her, Hermione had to admit that everything he said made sense. Far more sense than Harry’s angry tirades dissecting Snape’s every single action and interpreting the motives behind them. She took a gentle sip of her tea.

“And I suppose you’d like me to explain your story to the others? Before they murder you?”

“What others, Miss Granger?” Snape waved a hand casually. Hermione’s eyes lingered on his outstretched fingers. “The Order? What can they do against Voldemort? They are simply a collection of people Dumbledore saw fit to take pity on. However, to defeat Voldemort, more is required than just loyalty and Dumbledore’s heralded emotion: love. You also need cunning, and power.”

“And you believe I can provide such things?” Hermione queried. She felt surprised. Flattered as well, that she should be selected about others for such a task. Normally Harry was the one that drew all the attention with his heroics. Or Ernie Macmillan with his pompous confidence.

“To put it frankly, yes,” Severus replied, relishing his first intelligent conversation in weeks. He appreciated that Granger did not need to be spoon-fed every single detail.

“What would you wish me to do,” Hermione asked wryly. “Provide you information on the Order that you can no longer obtain?”

“I am not seeking a replacement for my former position as double agent,” Snape smiled. (A most unnatural expression to witness. The idea that Professor Snape should possess the capability to be amused was not one Hermione had pondered.) “I am glad I no longer have to sneak around so much. My new assignments are far less…covert.”

Hermione frowned, she did not like to think about what these new assignments were. Nor, apparently, did Snape for he continued quickly.

“Actually, I would like to know as little about the Order as possible,” Severus spoke faster. He could see doubt encroaching in Granger’s large, expressive eyes. “Rather, I simply require your support. Later I would hope to use your brains and wand as well to bring about the Dark Lord’s demise.”

“And after this so-called ‘Dark Lord’ is finished?” Hermione quipped.

Severus smiled to himself. (He did it again! I wasn’t imagining the first smile! Hermione thought.) “Very astute, Miss Granger. After said event, I was planning on creating a group of talented individuals who would prevent other such tyrants from rising. And buffoons from allowing them to rise.”

“Who else have you approached?” Hermione inquired.

“Forgive me if I do not divulge that information until I am certain of your intentions.”

He had no one, Severus realized. All his plans, his years of plotting were now balanced on this moment. They sounded perfectly fine in his own head, but when presented to another? Would anyone agree that he had the right plans?

Hermione nodded thoughtfully and swirled her dwindling tea.

She doesn’t think it’s plausible, Severus realized sadly. “I’ll give you some time to consider,” he announced abruptly and stood up. Hermione nodded again, still looking at her cup. A small frown creased her forehead.

Feeling rather dejected, Severus exited the teashop and began to meander slowly down the street.

“Er, Professor! Wait!”

Severus swiveled on the spot. Hermione was running after him. He waited for her to catch up to him.

“If you do find that you need, as you put it, my ‘brains and wand’, I’ll be willing to help. Provided I approve of the actions and effect, of course,” she said it all rather breathlessly. She felt unsure about taking such a plunge, but after she’d said those words an air of confidence filled her. It was as though, by agreeing to do more than just sit as the Order wanted her to, she finally felt as though she was contributing.

“Thank you, Miss Granger. And you may call me Severus,” he answered. Her words had a profound effect on him, he felt himself stand taller as she spoke them.

“It’s Hermione.”

Severus smiled to himself for the third time that day. It would appear the seduction of Hermione Granger was complete.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=54119