A Multicolored Bloom of Possibility by self named harry potter freak
Summary: Starting from that dreadful day at Dumbledore's funeral, Ginny has been endlessly waiting to see Harry again. Two years pass without word and Ginny starts to lose faith that Harry will ever come back to her, since he has not done so since the fall of Voldemort. Then an unexpected visitor arrives at Ginny's new flat, causing all Ginny thought she knew to be put into question.

So Sorry about the huge and inexcuseable wait for chappie 5. It's in the queue now 8/19/07.
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 13292 Read: 15493 Published: 07/09/06 Updated: 08/25/07

1. Winter Ends by self named harry potter freak

2. A Sprout Wilted by self named harry potter freak

3. A Seedling Before Dawn by self named harry potter freak

4. The First Day of Spring by self named harry potter freak

5. The Flower’s Petals by self named harry potter freak

Winter Ends by self named harry potter freak
Disclaimer: I own nothing Harry Potter related in real life…only in my dreams am I in any way connected to JKR and the series.

A/N: OK, this plot bunny has been bouncing around my head forever and the style of writing was inspired by ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’. I use a lot of imagery here and I think this is one of the highest quality pieces I’ve written. I hope you enjoy!





Chapter One: Winter Ends


A hundred days have made me older
Since the last time that I saw your pretty face
A thousand lies have made me colder
And I don't think I can look at this the same
But all these miles that separate
Disappear now when I’m dreaming of your face

I'm here without you baby
But you're still on my lonely mind
I think about you baby
And I dream about you all the time
I'm here without you baby
But you're still with me in my dreams
And tonight it's only you and me

-Here Without You by 3 Doors Down

Tears. A raging river of tears streamed down Ginny’s face, pooling on and absorbing into her cloak as she watched Harry’s retreating back from her chair at Dumbledore’s funeral. The tears were certainly not of joy, but of sadness and heartbreak. She was sad for Harry and his quest for Voldemort, for the pain he was feeling, for Dumbledore, and lastly for herself. She now came to know the sheer torture of true love’s heartbreak.

Torn, shattered, numb and unfeeling, Ginny rose from her chair and went toward the lake. In its pristine depths, she saw her desperate, teary-eyed self looking hopelessly back at her, knowing that only one thing could heal her broken heart…Harry; the one person she couldn’t have because he didn’t want her.

It’s strange how these things turn out. She could have anyone, but wants the one and only who doesn’t feel the same. Like a flower in springtime, it was good while it lasted, but then winter came. Winter was Voldemort, cold, merciless and relentless. The only consolation was that maybe, just maybe, a seed from that flower had survived the winter, and when spring came again, it would be well ready to burst into a multicoloured bloom of possibility.

Ginny hoped that at the end of this war, with no winter, no Voldemort, she and Harry could start fresh and have a plain, simple relationship with no one out to kill them or tear them apart forever.


Two years later to the day, Ginny sat in the same spot, again staring at her teary reflection. Only three things had changed. The war was over, Ginny was dressed in graduation robes, and her tears were of joy, not sorrow. She had made it through her seven years of schooling, lived to tell the tale, and was ecstatic about it. She was going on to play Chaser for the Chudley Cannons after Hogwarts, a concept which thrilled and excited every molecule of her body at just the thought. She’d spend a few days at home before moving to the apartment complex near the field and starting her new life on her own. She often wondered about Harry, who of course would become an Auror along with Ron (Hermione had trained as a Healer) and if, at long last, the seeds of her flower were about to sprout.

This in mind, Ginny turned her fiery head back to the seating area in front of the small platform on the grounds. There sat Ron and Hermione, recently engaged and happily entangled in each other’s arms. Unconsciously, Ginny substituted them out for her and Harry. After almost two years not seeing him, Ginny could still remember every line on his face, ripple of muscle and part of his body that fit so perfectly against hers. The picture was almost palpable with the detail it held.

“Ginny,” said Ron who, with Hermione, had approached Ginny unnoticed as she was off in her own little world. “You ready to go?”

Ginny noticed Ron’s hand around Hermione’s waist and tried not to stare as she nodded yes and followed the happy couple out of the Hogwarts grounds.

The three then Apparated to the Burrow where a congratulatory party was to be held. Ginny arrived and went upstairs to change into her dress robes.

Harry hadn’t been at her graduation. She had been standing near the back of the line with the last name ‘Weasley’, and had had plenty of time to search the crowd for him. But not once did her eyes cross paths with his unmistakable green ones. She had a shadow of a hope that he would be there. But now that he was more famous than ever, and had probably been giving an interview or doing a photo shoot… something much more important.

Changed, Ginny made her way downstairs to meet her guests. All of her family had made it to the party. Her school friends Colin Creevey, Brittany and Kim were also in attendance along with many others. One person who should have been there was Luna Lovegood, but she was currently resting in a wooden box six feet underground. She had sadly been lost in the final battle. Another missing from their number was Dennis Creevey, who had been killed in an attack on his home not even a day after the fall of Voldemort. He died just when everyone thought they were safe.

Ginny beamed at all the happy, smiling faces around her, and felt lucky to have so many people who loved her unconditionally surrounding her. Ginny again searched the crowd, but her efforts were fruitless, as Harry hadn’t attended the party.

Ginny stepped off the last step of the staircase and mingled happily with her guests. She was slightly disappointed at Harry’s absence, even though she hadn’t really expected him to be there.

Try as she might, the past kept creeping up on Ginny, as did the memories she suddenly recalled.


Voldemort had just fallen, Dennis had just died, and Harry, Ron and Hermione had just spent the summer after they should have graduated bullying their brains to work in the sweltering heat and taking their N.E.W.T.s. They had all passed with flying colors and were being offered the most sought after jobs upfront. But, as a group, they decided to take a year off before starting their jobs. That way they knew that they were being hired for skill, not because they were the trio who had defeated Voldemort.

Ginny hadn’t seen hide nor hair of her brother, best friend or Ex since Bill and Fleur’s wedding, and was denied further chances to see them until Christmas Vacation during her seventh year.

The train ride home seemed to stretch on endlessly like writing an exceptionally long History of Magic essay. Ginny was also exceptionally hungry, but as she was sitting in the back of the train after calling in a favour with the Head Boy Michael Corner to get him to take over her Head Girl patrol duties for her, she would have to wait the longest for the food trolley to arrive and soothe the rumbling in her stomach. And to cap it all off, soon she would be seeing Harry and the excitement that was coursing through her body was exploding her senses.

She tried to pass the time with games of Gobstones and Exploding Snap, but her mind was still in a flurry of activity and anticipation, causing her eyebrows to become extremely singed.

Soon, the food trolley arrived and Ginny bought enough food to feed the entire Gryffindor table and have enough leftovers for the Giant Squid to have his fill. Kim and Brit watched in amazement as their friend devoured five pumpkin pasties, twelve chocolate frogs, and three boxes of Bertie Bott’s every flavor beans. They wondered in awe how she kept her perfect hourglass body that made men drool with meals like that. They then answered their own unasked question by reminding themselves that she was the captain of the Quidditch team.

Finally, the Hogwarts Express pulled into Platform 9¾ after what had felt like two weeks of travel. Ginny said quick goodbyes to Kim and Brit and rushed forward with her trunk to meet her welcoming party.

Harry wasn’t there.
Oh well Ginny thought to herself, he’s probably at the house.

But Harry wasn’t at the house. Nor was he there for the duration of the winter break, not even for the traditional Weasley Family Christmas. The then non-engaged Ron and Hermione had made it,
but not Harry, Ginny thought resentfully. The plus side of the visit, and it did have a plus side, was catching up with her best friend Hermione. They had been sending owls to each other, but seeing her in person was a refreshing change.

This, Ginny pinpointed, was when the ceaseless longing for Harry began. Day and night he filled her thoughts and dreams, and she realized Harry had stolen her heart and wasn’t giving it back. Even if he did return it, it would be torn, mangled and mutilated from the strain it had been through with their break-up and his absence in her life for so long.



Ginny decided in that moment that she was over Harry. He wasn’t there for her then, and he wasn’t there for her now. No one needed someone like that. She was moving on and never looking back… or so she thought.

Her parents had gone all out on the decorations for the party. Streamers of all colors adorned the walls and magically inflated balloons floated lazily near the ceiling and banners flashed congratulatory messages for all the new graduates of Hogwarts.

A few presents sat on the kitchen table, waiting patiently for Ginny to open them. She polished off her third slice of triple chocolate cake and made her way to the head of the table to open her gifts.

The first few were from her family, a new pair of Quidditch gloves, and her new Chudley Cannons jersey among them. One present stood out though. It was long like a pole, yet, oddly, slightly cone shaped at the end. Curious, Ginny ferociously tore at the paper to reveal a brand new broom. It was not just any broom though, it was the Nimbus Xcelerator, and it was just a rumor that they were even being developed; definitely not available to the general public.

Ginny frantically searched for a card from her mystery gift giver, but could find none.

“Well, are you going to stare at it all day, or are you going to give it a go?” came Ron’s voice from the back of the group.

Ginny grabbed her broom and went outside to the Burrow’s feild, around which she quickly took three exhilarating laps.

An hour later, when everyone had ridden the new broom and the guests had left, Ginny took her new broom up to her room where she propped it carefully up against the wall and wondered about her mystery gift giver. He/she had to be well connected to be able to get one of these before they came on the open market. Could it be…? Ginny pushed the thought from her mind. She was moving on.

Ginny pulled out her thoroughly non-magical diary; she had had enough of the magical kind for a lifetime and a half, and wrote the events of the day into it.

For old times sake, she flipped back to past entries and stopped on one at random. It was the entry for the day after Voldemort had died.

Dear Diary,
It has been a week since I’ve last written, which I’m usually very good at doing every day. I haven’t written for so long for the same reason I wasn’t fighting alongside my friends at the final battle; I was in a coma. It was mysterious circumstances in which I became incapacitated. I was eating dinner at home and my pumpkin juice tasted a little funny, but then again I had a cold and a stuffed nose, so everything tasted a little off, and I suddenly felt very sleepy. I went up to my room, and when I woke, I was told I had been asleep for a week and that Harry had defeated Voldemort just the day before. Curious timing isn’t it? I looked into it and couldn’t find anything of use on the subject, so I gave up and have resigned myself to the fact that I will never know what happened to myself. I’ll write again tomorrow.
-Ginny

To the present day Ginny still didn’t know what had happened to her.


Ginny’s last week at the Burrow passed in a flurry of happiness, sadness and a ceaseless flow of tears from Mrs. Weasley at the thought of her last child leaving the nest.

Not soon enough for Ginny, and all too soon for her mother, it was time for moving out. Around six last goodbye hugs were given along with useless advice like ‘don’t leave food cooking too long or you’ll burn it’, which Ginny had known practically her entire life.

“Don’t worry about me mum, I’ll be fine. I’ll send lots of owls to keep you posted,” Ginny reassured her frantic and worried mother. “Bye.”

With that, Ginny Apparated to her new dorm.

The building stood tall and gleaming in the afternoon sunlight. People loitered about the entrance with a distinctly fresh-out-of-Hogwarts look to them. Ginny spotted a cute blonde haired boy on her way in and waved. He waved back and seemed friendly enough. Maybe she would be able to find a guy here.

Ginny was halfway up her fifth flight of stairs (the elevator was broken) and was exhausted from dragging her trunk when she remembered she was a witch and levitated it the rest of the way. Relieved of her burden, she quickly made her way to the eighth floor where she would be staying.

“Room 210, room 210,” Ginny muttered to herself as she walked down the hall. “Room 210!” she announced loudly when she had finally found the right door.

Suddenly, the door to her right flew open, and in the entrance to the room stood Hermione.

“Hermione!” exclaimed Ginny, abandoning her trunk to give her best friend a hug. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m the team Healer.”

“Well that’s great, Hermione! Now I have someone I know here.”

“I’m not the only person you know here,” said Hermione as Ron stepped out of the room behind her.

“Ron!” Ginny said as she enveloped him in a hug too. “Why didn’t you tell me that you were the Keeper for the team?”

“Wanted to surprise you.”

“This is great! Now I know two people.”

“Three,” corrected Ron.

“Three? Who-”

“Hi, Ginny,” came a familiar voice from behind her. Ginny whipped around and her eyes met the unmistakable green ones that belonged to Harry Potter.

Ginny was rendered speechless.

Harry said, “Did you miss me?”

Maybe a seed from the flower had survived the winter after all.


Next chapter’s title: A Sprout Wilted
A Sprout Wilted by self named harry potter freak
Chapter 2: A Sprout Wilted









“Harry!” Ginny screamed and jumped into his arms. Harry was surprised at first, but pleasantly so.



“I take it that you did miss me,” Harry chuckled as he set Ginny down.



“We’ll leave you two alone,” said Hermione while leading Ron back to their room, 208.



“So you made Seeker, huh,” Ginny stated rather than questioned.



“Yep. I don’t know how this team got along without me,” said Harry with a playful, falsely cocky tone. Ginny gave him a playful punch in the arm. “Ouch.” Harry feigned pain, clutching his arm as thought he would have a bruise the size of California on it.



“Oh, stop being such a big baby,” chastised Ginny without meaning. “So, where are you staying?”



“Flat 211. You?”



“Right across the hall in 210.”



“Awesome,” Harry said in a distracted and slightly more serious tone. “Ginny, could I talk to you in private?”



“Sure,” Ginny said as she opened the door to her flat and dragged her trunk over the threshold.



You’re over him, you’re over him, you’re over him, Ginny kept repeating to herself, willing herself to believe it but failing miserably.



The room they entered was quaint. Maroon furniture of two couches and an overstuffed chair provided the focal point of the living room, and a bay window with maroon curtains adorned the wall directly across form the doorway.



”So much maroon,” Harry commented as he sat on the sofa.



Ginny threw her trunk in a corner and replied, “Hey, I didn’t decorate it. Though, I’d bet Ron would love it. You know how maroon is his favorite color and all.”



Harry laughed at the sarcastic tone to Ginny’s last statement before turning to face Ginny as she took a seat on the couch opposite him.



You’re over him. Ginny wanted to believe it, but knew that the seed inside her had already sprouted.



Harry’s face turned from playful to serious. “Ginny, there’s something about the final battle that I never told you.”



That’s not a good way to start off a conversation, thought Ginny.



“It specifically has to do with your coma.”



Wow. Are we going for the worst way in history to start off a conversation or what?



“When I tell you this, you have to promise not to be mad at me,” said Harry with that voice of a small child with his hand caught in the cookie jar.



“You know I can’t promise you that, Harry,” said Ginny with her arms crossed. “Just say it.”



Harry nodded and fidgeted with his hands. Ginny had never seen him more nervous.



“I got Dobby to go to your house and spike your evening pumpkin juice with a potion I made to put you in a coma until after Voldemort was dead.” Harry waited for the inevitable explosion to happen, but it didn’t come.



Ginny was still processing this newfound information. How could he do that to me? He had no right to stop me from doing whatever I wanted to do, whether my life was at risk or not, thought Ginny.



Harry, wrongly, thought it was safe to continue.



“I hope you understand why I did it. I couldn’t let you-”



“Couldn’t let me?” interrupted Ginny with deadly quietness. “Since when do you ‘let me’ do anything? Since when is anything I do any of your bloody business?” Her voice was getting steadily louder.



“I couldn’t stand to live without you! I had to keep you safe!”



“Well what if you’d never come back? What if you didn’t murder Voldemort?”



These last two words had a demoralizing effect on Harry. Now the explosion had begun.



“You said the potion would keep me in a coma until after Voldemort was dead. What if he didn’t die? What would have happened to me then? Stuck in a coma my entire life; what kind of an existence is that? And you risked leaving me like that, just to fulfill your own selfish wants.”



Harry sunk into his seat, looking as if all his will and determination had completely left him.



“I was just trying to keep you safe,” Harry mumbled almost incoherently.



“I wasn’t yours to keep safe,” Ginny spat venomously. “You assured that the second you turned your back on me at Dumbledore’s funeral.



Harry had no response for this. She was completely and totally right.



“As if I didn’t have enough misery that day and you go and increase it tenfold.” Ginny felt tears springing up into her eyes. “I waited for you.”



Harry turned quickly to gaze at Ginny.



“After the breakup, I was convinced that you’d come back for me after Voldemort was gone. I looked forward to all the breaks, just in case you would come and stay at the Burrow for a day or two… just to see your face.”



Ginny couldn’t stop the tears any longer, and they streamed down her face with the force of a raging river.



“Two years, Harry. Two agonizing years. And all that time I held out hope that you’d be back; just the next day, just the next break. Do you know how hard that was on my heart? It was like it kept getting broken and broken again with every expectation and every absence. Ron and Hermione made it, so why couldn’t you? I began to think that you hated me; that you never would return because you didn’t want me.”



Ginny paused again and conjured herself a handkercheif, ignoring the one that Harry held out for her. In that moment, she realized that the seed inside her had become unmistakably brown and wilted. She believed it now. She was over him.



Ginny walked over to her trunk and removed several old newspapers. She threw them violently onto the coffee table in front of the couch, though still holding onto one.



Harry gingerly picked them up and saw pictures of himself, Ron and Hermione a few days after Voldemort’s demise. Several others depicted the weeks following and all of his activities.



“You weren’t responding to my owls, so I relied on newspapers to assure me that you were indeed still alive. I remained loyal to you through all of it, and how do you repay me?”



She threw the paper she was holding into Harry’s lap. He gazed down at himself passionately kissing Susan Bones. On the next page, it showed the same, but with Romilda Vane. He knew it went on, but chose not to delve deeper into the paper’s contents.



“Looks to me like you could live without me, seeing as you didn’t remember that I existed.”



“Ginny, I… I’m sorry.”



“Well sorry isn’t good enough, Harry. This is the last straw. I was determined to forget you when I set out on my own, but you turn up at the one time I don’t want you to. I was almost ready to take you back, after all the absence, after all this,” she jabbed her finger at the pictures,” when I saw you again. But now, after the truth comes out…I don’t think I can take you back…ever.”



Harry looked desperate, but could come up with no argument to account for his actions, to justify them, because they simply couldn’t be justified.



“Get out, Harry,” said Ginny, her voice icier than ever before. “Get out now.”



“Ginny, let me try to make you see-”



“You just don’t have a way with words today. ‘Make me’ see? I’ve seen it all very clearly I’ll have you know, and even with the clarity, I still love you-”



Ginny clasped her hand to her mouth as if she had uttered a disgusting swear word. She turned suddenly and ran out of the flat, a fresh wave of tears pouring down her face.



Ron opened the door to his and Hermione’s flat just in time to see his little sister running from Harry, her face shining brightly with tears.



“Ginny!” Harry called after her, but she didn’t stop. He didn’t follow.



Ron stared after Ginny, then rounded on Harry. “What did you do to my sister?” he asked angrily.



Harry just stood there, starring hopelessly at the spot where Ginny had turned the corner, his eyes unfocused, his heart shattered. He now had a vague knowledge of what it felt like to be Ginny every time he wasn’t there. His emotions finally overwhelmed him, and he sank to his knees in the middle of the hall and cried.



************************************************************************



Ginny ran. She almost flew down the stairs in her attempt to put as much distance between her and Harry as possible. The front doors flew open even before she reached them, and she made her way to a bench beside a fountain of dolphins she had seen on her way into the building.



Ginny sat down on the stone bench, put her head in her hands and let the last of the tears flow until she could cry no more. She looked up at the fountain of happy dolphins, which seemed to be toying with her in her misery.



“Hey,” said an unfamiliar voice.



Ginny looked up and saw the cute blonde haired boy she had waved to earlier standing beside her.



“Are you okay?” he asked, concerned. I saw you running out of the building and thought something was wrong.”



“There is, but it can’t be fixed now. He’s just so lucky he’s not on an opposing team or I’d knock him off his broom with the Quaffle on purpose.”



“Wait; are you a Chaser for the Cannons too?” Mark asked.



“Yeah, it’s my first year. You?”



“Second. I came on fresh out of Hogwarts last year.”



“What’s your name?” asked Ginny.



He was comforting her significantly by making her forget the problems she’d left behind in the flat.



“Mark Matthews,” he said, extending his hand.



“Ginny Weasley,” she replied with a slight smile as she met him halfway in the handshake. “Which flat are you staying in?”



“209,” Mark answered.



“Awesome!” Ginny exclaimed. “I’m in 210. We’re diagonal from each other!”



“Cool. Is your room decorated with maroon everything?” asked Mark.



“Unfortunately,” complained Ginny, causing Mark to laugh.



“That’s what I thought when I saw it!”



The two laughed again, unaware of Harry, who was watching them with narrowed eyes full of jealousy. He saw this ‘new guy’ stand up and walk with Ginny back to the dorms, and decided it was time to make his exit.



But it was not before Ginny saw his brilliant green eyes staring at her and his head of unruly black hair turn away.



I’ll show him, thought Ginny as she started talking animatedly to Mark again.



When Mark and Ginny had finished climbing the stairs, they were well acquainted.



“Listen,” Mark said as they stopped in front of his door on the odd numbered side of the hall. “I know we just met, but would you like to go out with me sometime?”



“As a date or as friends?” Ginny asked, with a tone in her voice that said she preferred the former to the latter. She saw Harry peering out from his doorway and tried her best to ignore him.



“As a date,” Mark said anxiously.



“Absolutely,” Ginny said and gave him a small kiss on the cheek. “When and where?”



“How does 7:00 tomorrow night sound? I know this local little Italian place called Graziano’s that you’ll love.”



“Brilliant. Isn’t that right after the first Quidditch practice?”



“Yeah. That’s okay right?”



“Yes. It’s more than okay. See you then,” and with a flirtatious smile, Ginny headed for her room. On her way, she gave Harry a murderous stare and closed her door with a snap.



How dare Harry watch me! Ginny thought. My life is none of his business, and he has no right to be jealous of Mark. He screwed our relationship up, not me!



Ginny looked around at the horrid maroon everything of the living room and changed the color to a lived in, non-perfectionist, off white.



Much better, she thought and went over to the left well which had two doors in it. She opened the first door and discovered an office, complete with a desk, a fireplace big enough to Floo from, and more maroon.



Why is everything maroon? she thought as she changed the color to a comforting blue.



Ginny closed the door to the office and opened the next door on the wall. She peered inside and saw a marvelous kitchen with a window at the far end and, miraculously, no maroon. Although smaller, the kitchen reminded her of the kitchen at the Burrow.



Ginny shut the door with a sigh, turned around and saw a small hallway directly across the living room.



Puzzled, as she hadn’t noticed it before, she crossed the room to reach it.



In the hallway, there were two doors, one on each side of the hall. Choosing the left one first, Ginny opened it and revealed a deluxe bathroom with a maroon theme. But that was the only downside. It had a spacious bathtub that resembled a swimming pool, gigantic shower and luxurious sink. Ginny added the final touch, a color change to varying reds and pinks.



Ginny exited the room and opened the door directly across from it.



What Ginny saw took her breath away. Her bedroom had a canopy bed, the kind she had dreamed about since childhood. Against the wall were a squishy couch that looked very inviting and a beanbag chair; both of which were maroon. Ginny rushed over to her bed and, like a giddy second year, jumped on and sank into its squishy softness.



This is the life, thought Ginny once she had changed the maroon to four different shades of a pinkish purple. If only Harry weren’t such a prat.



That was her last thought before she fell asleep.



The sprout inside her was wilted and brown, but not dead. Not yet.





A/N: And here is where I tell you to review. I also want to thank all the ppl who edited this, and all you lovely people who have reviewed so far. Check my Author's page for news on what the chapters are doing. It will tell you which chapters are being written, which are typed, and which are edited. Thanks to you all again!



Next Chapter’s title: A Seedling Before Dawn

A Seedling Before Dawn by self named harry potter freak
Chapter Three: A Seedling before Dawn



“Ginny. Ginny!” came a loud voice that disturbed Ginny’s dream about drowning Harry in her cauldron. Groggily, she raised her head and glanced at her surroundings. At first she was startled. She was sleeping in an unfamiliar room with a couch and a canopy bed. But then she remembered that she had moved into her new flat.

“That’s it. I’m coming in there.” Ginny distinctly heard the front door lock on the front door click and someone rush to open her bedroom door.

“Ginny,” the figure in the doorway said with exasperation.

Ginny looked over and saw Ron clad in full Keeper attire and panting with the effort of yelling.

“Get up, Ginny. Practice starts in ten minutes!”

The sleepy redhead looked at her clock and with a start, realized that it was four o’clock in the afternoon. Her fight with Harry must have worn her out, because she had been sleeping for close to twenty four hours. With a newfound burst of energy, Ginny dressed in her Quidditch robes and brushed past Ron to enter her bathroom to freshen up.

Within minutes she was back in her room with a debate raging in her head.

The Xcelerator from Harry, or my Cleansweep, she argued with herself. In the end, just to stick it to Harry further, she snatched up her old Cleansweep and headed for her bedroom door..

“Ready,” she announced to Ron when she appeared in the doorway.

“’Bout time. Come on, Hermione’s waiting for us.”

The two left to pick up Hermione with completely different thoughts going through their heads. Ron was thinking about not screwing up on his first day. Ginny was thinking about how badly she wanted Harry to screw up, be it with her intervention or without. And when Hermione joined them, she was hoping that she wouldn’t have to patch up Harry’s face if Ginny punched him in the middle of practice. Only one person’s fears would not become reality.

************************************************************************

Ginny heard herself gasp as she looked around Cannon’s Stadium. The only pitch she’d seen that was bigger was at the Quidditch World Cup nearly five years ago. The walls of the pitch seemed to stretch on endlessly skyward, and Ginny was in complete awe.

“Gather ‘round, team,” said Captain and Chaser Nick Michaels.

As Ginny joined the circle, Mark ambled over, giving her a cheeky grin before standing at her side. Ginny glanced at Harry, who was scowling darkly, and turned her broom so he could read the name Cleansweep on the side.

Judging by the stunned look on his face, he had not expected this. Placing his jaw in an upright and locked position, he turned back to Nick who was giving instructions for introductions.

“Now, everyone go around in a circle, say your name, age and position. I’ll start. I’m Nick Michaels, twenty three, and I’m Captain and Chaser.

“I’m Anthony, twenty one, and I play Beater,” said a burly blonde from Nick’s right.

“I’m Daniel, twenty one, and I play the other Beater,” said a black haired man of the same build.

“I’m Mark, eighteen, and I play Chaser.” Harry again glared at Mark, especially when he heard that the ‘new’ guy would be playing Chaser alongside Ginny.

“I’m Ginny, seventeen, and I play Chaser as well.” She glanced at Harry, and saw a surprising amount of emotion behind his eyes. It was an odd mixture of insane jealousy, rage, helplessness and misery. But as soon as it registered, it was gone, lost behind the hard mask Harry had so flawlessly constructed for himself during the fight against Voldemort.

“I’m Ron, Ginny’s older brother, eighteen, and I play Keeper.” Ginny looked murderously at Ron for adding the ‘older brother’ bit and rolled her eyes. She would have to have a talk with him later.

“I’m Harry, eighteen, Seeker,” Harry said in a low, monotonous voice with only his eyes to betray his inner feelings.

“We are a very young and inexperienced team, men,” Nick started.

“And women,” Ginny added forcefully when Nick paused for breath.

“And women,” amended Nick. “Most of the teams that we’ll be playing, Puddlemere United, Holyhead Harpies and the Montrose Magpies, to name a few, have been playing for ages and will look on us as newcomers. They will underestimate us, and it will come back to bite them in the arse. We will use their cockiness against them by taking them by surprise with our speed and skill. They won’t know what’s hit them. Now, take to the skies. I want to see that speed and skill in action.”

The team swiftly mounted their brooms and the Chasers began throwing the Quaffle to each other with lots of complicated looking flips and turns.

Ginny furtively glanced at Harry, who she could tell from past games with was only pretending to look for the Snitch. He was instead watching her, and that would end up being his undoing.

A Bludger was being hit back and forth between the Beaters, and Harry had unknowingly flown directly in the Bludger’s flight path.

With a sickening crunch the ball rammed straight into Harry’s nose, shattering both it and his glasses.

Blindly, Harry flew to the ground where Hermione rushed to tend to him. The team flocked around to make sure their fallen member was all right.

“Are you okay, Harry?” asked Ginny as she knelt beside him.

“I didn’t know that you cared,” replied Harry in a muffled voice with an icy bite to it.

Episkey,” said Hermione, effectively ending Harry and Ginny’s conversation.

“Thanks, Hermione,” said Harry as Ron helped him to his feet.

“Well,” started Nick, “I think that we should call it a day before anyone else gets hurt.”

The team nodded and left the stadium. Ginny threw Harry a dirty look, linked arms with Mark, and almost dragged him from the pitch.

Just outside their rooms, Mark pulled Ginny aside. “Is there something going on between you and Harry?” he questioned.

“It’s complicated, but to put it simply, we dated, he dumped me, I waited for him and he did something so terrible that I can never take him back.”

Mark still looked skeptical, but didn’t press the matter. “Okay. See you in forty five minutes?”

“Sounds good. See you,” said Ginny as she unlocked her door and stepped into her flat.

************************************************************************

Forty five minutes later, Mark tentatively knocked on Ginny’s door.

Ginny opened her door and smiled at her slightly nervous date.

“Ready to go?” asked Mark.

“Absolutely,” she said, taking his hand.

The pair walked purposefully out to the front of the building where they got a magical taxi to drive them to the restaurant.

“After you,” said Mark while holding open the door for Ginny.

Ginny shot him a smile, walked through and immediately spotted a head of black and blonde hair that she would recognize anywhere.

“Kim?” Ginny asked.

“Ginny!” Kim exclaimed as she rose from her chair to greet her best friend from Hogwarts.

Mark came to stand beside Ginny as she asked, “So, what brings you here?”

“Well,” Kim replied, “I, like you I see, am on a date.” Kim gestured to the man sitting in the chair across from her, who was none other than Draco Malfoy. Draco had joined the Order before the fall of Voldemort, and had been one of the major factors for the war’s favorable outcome.

“Nice to see you again, Ginny,” he said and turned to look at her date. “Mark Matthews? Is that you, mate?”

Draco came around the table and shook Mark’s hand before embracing him like a long lost brother. Mark returned the gesture in the same fashion.

“How do you two know each other?” asked Ginny.

“Both our parents’ were up to their eyeballs in the pureblood crap and Dark Arts,” answered Mark.

“When our mums and dads went to the Death Eater meetings, we used to play together and hang out until they decided that we were old enough for them to force us to go to the meetings as well,” continued Draco bitingly.

“Well that’s great that you know each other,” said Kim. “Hey, why don’t we make this a double date? We could all catch up on each other’s lives.”

Everyone readily agreed and the guys pulled two more chairs over to the table.

“So, did you hear about Celestina Warbeck’s breakup with Kirley McCormack, the drummer of the Weird Sisters?” asked Kim with wide eyes and a scandalized expression and tone.

“Oh I know! And the custody battle over their two month old is going to be vicious. Allegations are already flying about affairs and how they’re both unfit to be parents,” Ginny replied, throwing herself into the gossip.

The boys just stared at them, dumbstruck.

“What?” asked Kim and Ginny simultaneously.

“Girls,” Draco remarked, and he engaged Mark in a conversation about the Cannons’ chances this year while the girls returned to their gossip.

************************************************************************

“Hey, Kim,” said Ginny. “Could I talk to you outside for a sec?”

“Sure,” said Kim. The girls left the boys at the table with the bill and went to talk outside the restaurant’s front doors.

“So, how are you and Draco doing?” Ginny asked.

“We’re doing okay,” said Kim. “We’re just friends right now, but we’re talking about taking our friendship to the next level.”

“That’s great, Kim.”

“What about you and Mark over there?”

“That’s why I wanted to talk to you. I need some advice.”

“I’m all ears,” Kim said.

“Well, it all started when I found out that Harry was on the Cannons.”

“I heard a rumor about that, but I wasn’t sure if it was true or not.”

“It is, unfortunately.”

“Unfortunately?” questioned Kim. “I thought you were head-over-heels for Harry.”

“I was, until he revealed the real reason for my coma.”

Ginny told Kim about the potion and she was outraged.

“That’s so selfish! I can’t believe that he would do that to you,” replied Kim.

“It gets worse,” started Ginny. “He tried to justify it by saying he was keeping me safe.”

“That’s just not right.”

“And then I let it slip that I still love him,” Ginny mumbled. Kim’s hand flew to her mouth in shock.

“But where does that leave Mark?”

“I don’t like him the way I like Harry, but I don’t want to like Harry anymore after what he did,” said Ginny dejectedly. “This is why I need your advice. I’m so confused.”

Kim thought for a second and formed a plan. “How about you give Harry a chance to win you back?”

“What?” Ginny exclaimed incredulously. She was now formulating a plan to have Kim carted off to St. Mungo’s.

“Okay, it is so not fair to Mark to keep going out with him if you have no interest. You’ll just be using him as a pawn to make Harry jealous and that’s not right. What you need to do is get Mark in on it.”

“Okay… Confused.”

“Make a contest to win you over between Mark and Harry, but get Mark in on it. Tell Mark you just want to be friends, and ask him to pretend that you’re still going out so you can see how bad Harry wants you back. After you get Mark to play along, tell Harry he has a chance to win you back, but he has to outdo Mark.”

“So, it’s a test for Harry, and Mark just plays along so that Harry will try harder because he thinks he can lose me to Mark. That’s very diabolical. It’s almost Slytherin.”

“Well, I have been spending a lot of time with Draco lately,” said Kim.

Ginny smiled. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

************************************************************************

“Hey, Mark,” said Ginny as she and Mark walked from the taxi to the apartment building.

“Yeah, Ginny?”

“I think we should just be friends.” Ginny waited anxiously for his response.

“I’ve been feeling the same way,” he responded.

“You have?”

“Yeah. But I really do want to be your friend. I want to get to know you better and hang out and stuff. Besides, I saw this coming. Anyone can tell you’re still hung up on Harry.”

“I am not!” Ginny exclaimed indignantly. “Okay, maybe I am,” she conceded. “Kim had this plan, and you have a key role if you’re interested.”

“I’m listening.”

“We’re supposed to pretend to still be going out, and then Harry has to try to outdo you in order to win me back,” said Ginny.

“So, we’re just acting?”

“That’s right.”

“I’ve always wanted to be an actor,” said Mark. “I took a few classes when I was young, but never got to be in a play or anything.”

“Well, consider this your debut performance.”

“Okay, I’ll do it,” agreed Mark.

************************************************************************

Harry heard a soft knock on his door and rose from his chair to answer it. He had been thinking a lot about Ginny. She was dating someone new. Does that mean she’s left me behind? he mused as he opened his door. He saw a flash of red hair and Ginny’s door closing before he noticed the letter on his doormat. Harry grabbed the letter, had one last longing look at Ginny’s door, and retreated into his flat.

Harry saw his name written on the letter in Ginny’s distinctive cursive writing, and hurried to open it.

Harry,

Now listen and listen well. I’m giving you the very generous offer of ONE change to redeem yourself. Over the course of the next week, you can attempt to win me back. Use any means necessary to impress me. Keep in mind that Mark will be doing the same. This is not me forgiving you. I may never be able to do that. This is just a way for you to balance the scales. For you, they are currently hanging way over to the bad side. You’re going to have to do a lot of good to balance it out. The challenge starts tomorrow. Good luck.

Ginny Weasley


Like a seedling before dawn, Ginny’s heart desperately waited for morning, when the first sun would help the little sprout grow up tall and strong.


A/N: All right you guys, I need suggestions. Harry is desperate and this is his one shot to win Ginny back. What should he do? The best suggestions will be put into the fic and your name will be mentioned as a contributor. Betas, that goes for you too. I need a lot of ideas… 7 for each Harry and Mark. I have it planned out mostly right now, but if you come up with a better idea than what I have planned, I’ll put yours in instead of mine. Actually, most of them are Mariams, but w/e. It will be interesting… I think so anyway.
The First Day of Spring by self named harry potter freak
Chapter four: The First Day of Spring

“I need to talk to Hermione,” said Harry when Ron answered the door.

“Harry, it’s late. Can’t you talk to her in the morning?”

Harry wordlessly handed Ron the note and watched his friend’s face dawn with comprehension.

“She’s asleep, but I don’t think she’ll mind being woken up.”

Ron beckoned Harry inside and into a chair, and then crossed to the bedroom to get Hermione.

Harry heard muffled yells of indignation and cries of wanting more sleep. Apparently Hermione did mind being woken up.

Grudgingly, Hermione stumbled half-asleep out of the bedroom. Her hair was a mess, and her eyes had huge bags under them, but otherwise Hermione was the same as ever. Pink bunny-slippered feet carried the sleep-deprived woman to a chair across from Harry, where she gladly accepted coffee from Ron.

“I read the letter,” said Hermione, now almost fully conscious, as she pulled a piece of parchment from her robe pocket and handed it to Harry.

“I need help. I need ideas.”

“Mate, I personally didn’t think that she was even going to give you a chance,” said Ron, pulling up a chair. “You need all the help you can get to win her over.”

“I know,” said Harry softly. “I didn’t think I’d get another chance either. I don’t want to mess this up. I can’t mess this up. I can’t lose her again.”

“Let’s get started then,” said Hermione, summoning a piece of parchment, quill and pot of ink. Only when Hermione refilled the half-empty pot all the way to the top did Harry realize how long of a night he was in for.

******************************************************************************

Harry sat with his chin in his hands staring at the foot long list Hermione had made. She had suggested that he start small and build up to the big finale at the end of the week, and he had taken that advice to heart. He had meticulously planned out events for every day, and only hoped that it would be enough.

Harry glanced at his watch. It was 9:30 am. Ginny should be up by now, he thought, and he began to prepare his first surprise.

Knock, Knock, Knock, he tapped on Ginny’s door. When no one answered, he pounded harder.

A beady-eyed Ginny opened the door and looked accusingly at Harry. “Waddya want?”

“Hi, Ginny,” said Harry uncertainly.

“What did you wake me up for?”

“I thought that you’d be awake by now.”

“I sleep ‘till eleven if I can on days without Quidditch practice.”

“Oh,” said Harry, feeling stupid for not asking Hermione what time she slept until and curious as to why she would need so much sleep. “Well, here. I brought you flowers.” He handed her a large bouquet of orange flowers and hoped it would be enough to make up for waking her up.

“Calendulas?” Ginny asked.

“I saw them in a patch by Hagrid’s hut while we were still at school, and thought they were pretty,” explained Harry.

“Did you think about the fact that they’re the Death Flower?” asked Ginny evenly.

Harry paled. “I didn’t know that.”

“Remember it for future reference.”

“I brought you some chocolate,” he said, giving her the box and hoping to make amends.

Ginny inspected the contents with a raised eyebrow. “Do you know how many calories are in chocolate?”

“No… I’m guessing that there’s a lot, though.”

“Good, Potter. Calories mean fat, and neither you nor I want me to get fat.”

“I’ll be right back,” said Harry. He turned around and ran straight into Mark.

“Excuse me,” said Mark as he sidestepped Harry’s glare and headed for Ginny. “I got you some flowers.”

“Lavenders,” said Ginny, embracing the purple bunch. “Purity, silence-“

“And luck,” Mark finished.

Ginny looked at him approvingly for knowing his flowers, and Harry rolled his eyes from his spot across the hall.

“I also got you these,” Mark said, producing perfectly ripe strawberries from behind his back.

“They’re perfect, Mark,” said Ginny. She enveloped Mark into a giant hug, causing him to flush with embarrassment and Harry to flush with anger. Harry turned on his heel and walked straight into Ron and Hermione’s room.

“You didn’t tell me that candelas were the death flower!” fired Harry at Hermione who was reading on the couch.

“Well, you didn’t tell me what kind of flowers you were getting her!” Hermione fired right back.

Harry thought about it for a second and blushed with realization.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you, Hermione. I’m mad at myself for botching this up, and I’m taking it out on you.”

“It’s all right. Have a seat and tell me about it.”

Harry recanted the flower fiasco, but when he got to Ginny’s reaction over the chocolate, Hermione began to wonder if Ginny was making things hard for Harry on purpose. She made a mental note to ask Ginny about it later.

“Wait,” said Harry, having a sudden brainwave. “I think I have an idea.”

Harry jumped over the back of the couch and was at the door before Hermione could even blink.

Will he ever learn? thought Hermione as the door closed behind Harry.

A few seconds later the door opened again. Ginny slowly peeked her head inside to gauge Hermione’s mood after Harry’s visit. Finding her friend exasperated, but not mad, she entered.

“Hey,” said Hermione with a searching gaze and tone.

“What?” asked Ginny, who was feeling very uncomfortable under Hermione’s unwavering gaze.

“Are you just playing with Harry? Is this all just a game to you?”

“Of course not!”

Hermione didn’t look convinced.

“Okay, I am stringing him along a bit,” admitted Ginny. “But I really want to know how far he’s willing to go to make up for his mistakes.”

“Mark is in on it, isn’t he?”

“Yes.”

Hermione let out a long breath. “It’s brilliant.”

Ginny looked up, shocked. She had expected Hermione to chastise her for this, not applaud her. “Seriously?”

“Seriously. It’s like something I would come up with: A true test of character.”

“Thanks,” said Ginny, standing up and taking her leave. Once she was inside her own flat, she sat down and waited for Harry to return.

Within a few moments there was a knock on her door. Ginny opened the door to reveal a smiling Harry.

“Here,” he said, handing her a box. She read the label and was appalled. He’d gotten her low-fat chocolate.

“Oh, so you think I’m fat now?” asked Ginny in a deadly low voice.

“That’s not what I-“

“You know what? You can take your low-fat chocolate and shove it, Potter!”

Ginny slammed the door in his face. Harry was speechless for a moment, but quickly recovered his voice. “Ginny, open the door. Please.”

Ginny was struggling to retain her laughter. He was so hopeless. Ginny thought that she should be up for a BAFTA award for her performance. Slowly, she creaked open the door.

“Ginny, come with me. I want to show you something.”

“Fine,” she replied unenthusiastically as she exited her flat.

Harry reached for her hand, but she pulled away. Harry frowned, but realized that it was too soon for that.

Ginny was in turmoil. She wanted to hold Harry’s hand so badly. She wanted to touch him again and to feel the pleasant jolt in her stomach. She wanted him to hold her and whisper scandalous innuendos in her ear like when they were playing around at Hogwarts. Then her brain would remind her of what he did, her resolve would strengthen, and she would pull away.

“Where are you taking me?”

“We’re almost there. Don’t be so impatient,” he joked.

Harry strode ahead and held the door open for her as they exited the building. Ginny nodded in thanks. She was surprised, however, when Harry didn’t call a magical taxi, but rather preceded around the back of the building.

Ginny followed and was caught off guard by the blinding flashes of light.

A mini-amusement park had been set up behind the building. Millions of colored lights blinked and flashed from everywhere, and the distant melody of a carousel could be heard.

“Harry…” Ginny trailed off, amazed at the sight.

“Have you ever been on a rollercoaster before?”

Ginny shook her head and Harry led the way to a giant steel structure in the center of the carnival. Ginny tilted her head up so that she could gaze at the monster before her.

“Are you coming?”

Ginny gingerly stepped into the car. Within seconds of her seatbelt being buckled the car started forward around a corner and slowly up a large hill.

“Put your hands up, Ginny,” prompted Harry as their car clicked up the hill.

“No! Are you insane?” she indignantly replied.

“I like to think that I’m not, but you may consider me otherwise.”

Ginny laughed and looked down at the ground below her. Everything was so tiny. “Wow.”

“We’re almost at the top. Put your hands up.”

“Fine,” Ginny said, lifting her hands into the air. “But if I fall out, it’s your fault, Potter.”

The car reached the top of the hill and slowly went over the side, gaining speed all the while. When the last car cleared the hump, the train was sent careening down the mountain of steel.

“Ahhhhh!” screamed Ginny, exhilarated.

The ride took a sharp right bank, sending Ginny barreling into Harry’s side. They both started laughing with joy and excitement. The car then took a left turn, throwing Harry on top of Ginny.

“Oof!” said Ginny as Harry’s weight shoved her into the side of the car. Harry pushed himself away, laughing at her indignant expression until she was again sent sliding into him. Their faces turned toward each other, and for a moment it appeared as if the force of the turn would make their lips accidentally touch.

Oh, Merlin. Help me. I want to kiss him, I want to hold him, I want him, Ginny thought within a few milliseconds.

At the last moment, Ginny focused all her energy on forcing herself away. With mere millimeters between their lips, Ginny pulled back.

I want him bad, but I’m not ready for him yet.

The ride slowly rolled into the station, and Harry climbed out of the car. He couldn’t pretend that he wasn’t disappointed, but in retrospect, he knew that it was better for the relationship this way.

Harry held his hand out to help Ginny out of the car. Ginny took it and was surprised by how warm his hand was… and how warm her face had become.

“Are you hungry?” Harry asked.

Ginny nodded and walked with Harry through the festival until they reached a small snack stand.

“What would you like, Miss,” said Harry, climbing behind the counter and playing the part of the vender.

“Surprise me.”

Harry winked at Ginny and went to the back of the stand. When he emerged, he was carrying a gigantic bag of pink sugar. Ginny watched, fascinated, as he poured the entire bag into a metal machine.

When pink fluff started to appear at the edges of the machine, Harry took a paper cone and twirled it until it looked like a pink ice cream cone.

“What is this?” asked Ginny when Harry handed her the cone.

“Cotton candy. The muggle version is full of calories, but with the chocolate incident I decided to go with zero calorie sugar and a few charms to make it not taste like chemicals.”

Ginny debated for a second whether or not to tell him that the chocolate thing was exaggerated, but in the end decided to keep that little secret to herself.

Ginny took a bite of the candy. Harry laughed when her eyes got as round as baseballs. “This is amazing! Pure sugar. Brilliant!”

“You think that that’s something, you should try funnel cake.”

“I have my doubts that anything could beat this. You give it your best shot, Potter.”

Harry began assembling the needed ingredients and putting them together. Harry took the cake out of the oil just as Ginny finished her last bit of fluff.

Harry prompted Ginny for a topping. “Whipped cream? Strawberries? Blueberries?”

“I really don’t know what’s good. How do you usually have it?”

Harry smiled and pulled out a gigantic can of whipped cream. Once the cake had disappeared beneath the cream, he added a light dusting of powdered sugar.

“Enjoy,” he said, passing the plate to her. Ginny took it to a table a short ways away near the carousel. Harry arrived with forks a few seconds later and sat across from Ginny.

“What do you think?”

“I didn’t think that anything could beat that pink-fluff stuff, but this does the trick.” Ginny took another bite and groaned happily. “Yummm…”

“I’m glad you approve,” said Harry, taking a bite of his own. He looked up and saw Ginny’s gaze fixed at a point just above his left shoulder. He turned and saw the many twinkling and flashing lights of the carousel.

“You really are Ron’s sister,” Harry joked. Seeing her eyes still glued to the glittery ride, he asked, “Do you want to ride on the carousel?”

Ginny nodded and ran for the ride. A few strides away she doubled back, grabbed the funnel cake, and raced for the ride.

Harry laughed at her antics and followed her to the ride. When he arrived, he saw Ginny trying to mount the tallest horse on the ride. Try as she might, her feisty nature couldn’t make up for her short stature.

Harry took pity on her after a minute of laughing silently and went to help her up. At the touch of his hands on her waist Ginny yelped, but quieted almost immediately once she realized that it was only Harry.

“Thanks,” she said as he gently placed her on her steed.

“No problem,” he said as he climbed onto his own, shorter, horse beside her and started the ride.

Ginny enjoyed the ride. First her horse was higher and then Harry’s would be taller, and on and on the cycle went with two people going in a circle, eating funnel cake without a care in the world.

Soon the ride came to an end.

Ginny slid off her horse and made short work of the last of the funnel cake, depositing the plate in the rubbish bin as Harry caught up to her.

“We’d better get back,” said Harry as the sun set. “We have Quidditch tomorrow.”

Ginny was about to protest, but with one last longing look at the carnival, she agreed with Harry.

The pair walked silently around the building, mounted the stairs, and before they knew it, they were in front of Ginny’s flat.

“Good night,” Ginny whispered as she closed her door, but not before she had one last look at Harry.

At the snap of the shutting door, Harry let out a long sigh. He felt as if he’d made some progress with Ginny, he could see it in her eyes, but things were still moving too slowly. Patience is a virtue, he reminded himself. His conscience was right. He needed to take things slow… for Ginny’s sake.

Sighing again Harry made his way, not to the room behind him, but to the plain wall to the left of Ginny’s door. With a sense of purpose a bystander might have taken for insanity, he closed his eyes and walked straight into the wall.

If anyone had been in that hall that night, they would have seen Harry, not rebound off the plaster, but disappear through the barrier.

Harry, on the other hand, had expected the easy access to his project. In front of him was not plumbing, but a cozy place one might mistake for the Gryffindor common room. Cushy couches created a cozy corner in front of the fireplace, and plump pillows and poufs littered the floor.

Harry looked proudly about the room. He had been slaving away on it for only a day, but already Ginny’s personal Room of Requirement was coming together nicely. Silently Harry thought about a nice glass of lemonade. On a table near him a glass appeared with the desired beverage.

Harry took a sip and spat out the drink with disgust. Much too sour, he thought, and settled in to make the needed adjustments. He wouldn’t be working for long, though. At ten that night, he retired to his room. He had Quidditch practice tomorrow and wanted to be well rested, so as to make it one of Ginny’s most memorable practices ever.

******************************************************************************

The first day of spring ended in a whirl of color, and the bloom was glad that it had arrived. Basking in its warm glow, the bloom stood up straighter, turned greener, and looked healthier than it had in two years. The first day of spring had been good for the bloom, and as Ginny lay wide awake in her bed, she anxiously wondered about what tomorrow would bring.


A/n: And all the people to than for this chapter! First off, crystal phoenix suggested that Harry turn to Hermione for advice, so let’s give a big thanks to her. Next Potcgirl_1337 from the forums gave me the flower mix-up and chocolate idea, which fit perfectly here: thanks! And the amusement park idea came from a reviewer named HP_POTC. Thanks to you all, and I hope I didn’t disappoint!

Next Chapter’s title: The flower’s petals
The Flower’s Petals by self named harry potter freak
Chapter Five: The Flower’s Petals

I smell bacon, thought Ginny as she roused herself from her slumber. Eggs, too.

Propping herself up on her elbows, she raised her head far enough above her blankets to see that the wondrous smells were coming from her slightly ajar door.

Donning a bathrobe, she made her way to the kitchen, where Mark, clad in an apron and chef’s hat, was making breakfast.

Mark, unaware that Ginny was awake, took his spatula and flipped the pancakes in the air, making them land on heir uncooked side back on the stove.

Ginny clapped lightly. Mark turned around quickly, highly surprised that he had and audience.

“Ginny,” he said. “What are you doing up this early?”

“The smell of your fabulous cooking woke me up,” she replied. “You know you only have to act like you are competing for me when Harry’s around.

“I know,” said Mark, scooping some bacon and eggs onto a plate. “I just wanted to make you breakfast, aside from the acting.” Mark levitated the food over to the table and pulled out a chair for Ginny.

“Wait ‘till Harry overhears me talking about this,” commented Ginny as she sat down.

“What I wouldn’t give to see the look on his face,” said Mark, sitting down opposite Ginny. “So how do you like your eggs?”

“They’re wonderful,” said Ginny, scooping a second helping onto her plate.

“Great they’re a new recipe I’m trying out. I added some milk in them to make them fluffier.”

“Well, it tastes like you’ve got a winner with that one.”

Mark starred out the window as he sipped his tea. His mind seemed to be elsewhere.

Ginny glanced at her watch. “I’ve got to et ready for Quidditch.”

Mark grabbed the last piece of toast and made his way to the door. “It shall be an interesting day.”

“Indeed it shall,” agreed Ginny. “See you at the pitch.”

Her door closed with a snap and she changed into her Quidditch attire. She knew that something big was happening at the Quidditch pitch today, and she knew it would be big…this was Harry, after all.

Ginny debated over her broom choice for only a second before grabbing her Xcelerator. After the wonderful carnival last night, she figured she should cut Harry some slack.

As she walked out her door, a rose petal shower encompassed her body. From seemingly nowhere, the dark petals rained down, and Ginny laughed aloud with delight.

Ron and Hermione emerged from their room, and laughed when they saw Ginny spinning around in the petals like a carefree five-year-old.

“Having fun?” asked Ron.

Ginny stopped spinning and glared at her brother for ruining the moment. She walked over toward him, and the petals followed her.

“Do you want me to stop it?” asked Hermione.

Ginny looked upward at the shower’s origin and then back at Hermione. “I think I’ll get rid of it later. I’m actually really enjoying it at the moment.”

Harry poked his head out of his door to see how his latest attempt at wooing Ginny had gone over. Certainly nothing could be wrong with rose petals, but Harry made sure Ginny wasn’t waiting outside his room to pummel him when he exited, just in case.

After hearing Ginny say that she was enjoying his gift, Harry cautiously made his way over to where she, Ron, and Hermione were standing.

“I’m glad to hear it,” said Harry. His smile reached his eyes when he saw she was carrying the Xcelerator.

“Let’s head down,” suggested Ron.

Ron and Hermione led the way while Harry and Ginny brought up the rear. Silently, Harry conjured a red, thornless rose and tucked it behind Ginny’s ear.

“You look like and angel.”

Ginny blushed and thanked him quietly. He had always loved how her face looked with a slight blush to it.

All too soon, for both Harry and Ginny, they arrived at the Quidditch pitch. Mark was laughing at a joke Captain Nick had just made, and when he looked up and saw Ginny, he smiled even wider.

As Ginny broke from the group to go join Mark, Harry slipped off to the side where a man was waiting in the shadows. Harry passed him a slip of paper and then left to rejoin his team.

The man got on his broom and shot toward the sky. Once he was high enough, he conjured a smoke stream behind him and began to spell out the words on the paper in the air.

“What’s that barmy bloke doing?” asked Mark.

Ginny turned around and looked up at the sky, where her name was being spelled out in an acrostic poem.

Gorgeous
Intelliegent
Natural
Nice
Youthful

“Your doing, I suppose?” asked Ginny of Harry. He nodded and waited for her reaction.

“You couldn’t think of something better than nice?”

“My brain ran out of ideas and my thesaurus quill wanted to put naughty nymph in for the two n’s.” Harry saw Ginny smirk slightly. “I didn’t think it was quite appropriate for the whole team to see.”

Ginny couldn’t help but nod, feeling the same way. She could find no other fault in Harry’s latest attempt to win her over, and flashed him a dazzling smile and a wink as a reward.

Butterflies erupted in Harry’s stomach, and he couldn’t help but do a silent cheer.

Nick ordered the team to huddle up and explained that they would be running a few agility drills first before starting tasks according to position. As the team lined up, Harry was sure Mark flew to Ginny’s other side while in conversation with her so that when they lined up he would be between her and Harry. Ginny canceled the rose petal shower in order to see while she flew albeit grudgingly.

“We’ll be doing wind sprints,” said Nick. “That way no matter which broom you have, the race will be almost even. We’ll fly one-fourth of the pitch, half, three-fourths, and then all the way. “Nick took a spot at the end of the line. Mark looked at Harry and Harry looked at Mark. Each of them saw the challenge in each other’s eyes. It was on.

“Go!”

Harry and Mark took off. They quickly came up to the flags that marked the one-fourth pitch line, but mark pulled slightly ahead at the turn. Harry saw Mark was ahead of him and put on a burst of speed. Mark slowed slightly where as Harry’s burst of speed made him overshoot the line, falling further behind.

Harry shot forward again, but took Mark’s strategy of slowing down for the turn. The men were now nearly neck-n-neck. As they headed back to the starting line, they were flying dangerously close. Mark bumped lightly into Harry. Harry lost his concentration abruptly, and veered slightly off course.

So he wants to play dirty, thought Harry as he turned at the line and headed for the three-fourths pitch flag. Two can play at that game.

Harry flattened himself to his broom and took off at top speed. He got half a broom’s length in front of Mark, and then cut downward right in his path. Mark pulled up haphazardly to avoid a collision and shook his fist in Harry’s direction.

Harry turned again and headed back for the starting line. He was almost there when Mark, who had been flying above him, came down on top of him. Harry veered to the side and fell behind as Mark headed for the end of the pitch.

They only had two more stretches left before the end. They had to fly to the other end of the pitch and back before someone was declared the winner. Harry was determined to make that person him.

Harry zoomed off. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears and feel his blood pumping through his veins. He pulled right up alongside Mark and stayed with him as they turned the corner.

It was down to the final stretch. Harry knew he had already won. His Xcelerator far outmatched Mark’s Nimbus 2000. That’s when Mark started bumping him. As soon as Harry would get ahead, Mark would bump Harry and force him to fall behind again. Soon Harry started pushing back. They bumped and pushed all the way across the finish line, and neither knew who had crossed first.

“What is your problem?” shouted Harry, walking over to Mark when they landed.

“I was just about to ask you the same thing,” said Mark. “I was only being a little competitive. You’re the one who took it way too far.”

“I only flew in front of you in retaliation. You started it. Then you tried to land on top of me!”

“You nearly knocked me off my broom!”

“You did too!”

“CHILDREN!” shouted Ginny over the boys’ screaming match. “Will you stop acting like two year olds and stop having a tantrum? You both LOST. To me. Nice way to make yourselves look all macho, lose to a girl and then throw a hissy fit. Bonus points for the first person to start hollering for their mummy.”

Both Harry and Mark had the decency to look ashamed of themselves.

Ginny crossed her arms and her eyes sparkled with contained rage. Nick landed by Mark and Harry. He wore and angrier expression than an enraged Veela.

“What the bloody hell was that?” he hollered. “We have a match against Puddlemere United this Saturday. Two bloody days away! And then you go and pull this shit! You could have injured both yourselves and each other! You flew off with reckless abandon, and didn’t care how the repercussions of your actions could have hugely hindered the rest of the team!”

Nick paused to let his words sink in.

“You owe each other, and the entire team, an apology.”

“Sorry,” they both said, their voices full of regret.

“We need to win to keep our sponsors,” started Nick. “Some of us need these jobs to support ourselves. We aren’t here just for fun and games. We don’t have old nest eggs to fall back on from family heritage like you two do. Consider that when you make your next reckless move.”

The rest of the team seemed too disgusted at Harry and Mark to do anything more than cross their arms and glare. Even Ron seemed shocked that Harry would do something so stupid.

Nick called practice off and let the team leave the pitch. He seemed too mad to be able to continue practice, and the team war in the same state.

Harry glared at Mark, and Mark glared right back. The team, save Ginny, left to change into their regular clothes and find something to do with their two unexpected hours of free time. Ginny stayed behind to watch Harry and Mark’s conversation.

“Look,” said Harry. “We may be fighting over the same girl, but we need to put that aside when we step onto the pitch.”

“Yeah,” agreed Mark. “But it’s going to be really hard. Right now I see you as the enemy.”

“Well, maybe we just need to find something that we have in common to focus on; a sort of temporary friendship during games. Nick said you came from old money?”

“Yeah. My parents are old, rich, and Slytherin. What more can I say?”

“You weren’t a Death Eater?”

“Hell no,” said Mark. “Those barmy codgers can go to St. Mungo’s mental ward for their insane beliefs.”

“Well then, we have that in common. We’re both fighting for good. During games, think of it as us versus them, good versus “evil”. Then we’re on the same side.”

“I can do that,” said Mark.

Harry turned around and stared to walk off the pitch. He wasn’t five steps away before he felt a spell graze his left shoulder.

Harry quickly put up a shield and faced his attacker Mark was twirling his wand between his fingers and looked pleased with himself. Harry looked trough the freshly torn hole in his uniform and saw his shoulder turning green.

“Never turn your back on your enemy,” said Mark. He raised his wand again, but dropped it when his hands turned into paws.

“Never…hex…anyone…when…their…back…is…turned…,” said Ginny as she bounced ferret-Mark up and down on the grass.

Harry laughed, and Ginny turned Mark back into a man. “Now cast the counter curse,” she commanded.

Harry’s shoulder returned to its normal color as Ginny began a trade on Mark’s behavior right after Nick’s speech about not being reckless.

“Honestly, I’m choosing between two infants for a boyfriend,” she sighed exasperatedly.

Harry and Mark both nodded meekly in response.

Ginny turned and headed for her flat. The boys followed after her, but Mark slipped around the back of the building so he wouldn’t have to walk up with Harry.

Harry stopped short of his room and knocked on Hermione and Ron’s door.

Hermione saw the ashamed and semi-defeated look on his face and invited him in at once.

“What did you do now?” she asked as she sat and summoned some tea and biscuits from the kitchen.

“After Mark and I kind of nearly killed each other during Quidditch drills, we got into another fight, and all of it was seen by Ginny.”

Hermione let out a slow sigh. “What pushed you into the fight?”

“He started it, but I had to prove that I was better than him to make a good impression with Ginny.”

“No.”

“What?” asked Harry.

“You’re not trying to prove that you’re better than him.”

“Why am I not supposed to prove that I’m better than Mark? Isn’t that the whole point of this?”

“You’re not supposed to prove you’re better than Mark. Ginny has more options available to her than just you and him.”

“Well then whom do I have to prove I am better than? Everyone?”

“You really are thick. You don’t prove that you are better than anyone. You prove that you are the best for Ginny. It’s not a contest against everyone, it’s a contest for someone: Ginny.”

Harry thought about it. It really did make sense.

“Do you realize how your fight in front of Ginny is immeasurably worse now? You weren’t supposed to respond to Mark’s taunts and jibes. You weren’t supposed to act all macho and tough to make yourself look better than Mark. Macho and tough is not what Ginny is looking for, and she may very well ditch you both and find someone else.”

Harry hit his head on the wall behind him.

“You need to show her that you are the one and only man for her. Start by making peace with her. You owe her a true and honest apology for the fight.”

Harry knew he had to do it, but it would immensely hurt his pride. Suddenly another thing he should apologize for struck him. The coma. All this time she’d been holding on to that, and he had never apologized. That was going to hurt him most of all, but he knew it was what he had to do to prove he was the right one for Ginny.

******************************************************************************

A flower’s petals, while vibrant and colourful in the spring months, wilt and turn brown when the sun’s rays focus elsewhere. Once the rays focus back on the flower with just the right amount of light, the bloom is spectacular.


A/N: Thanks to my beta Crystalphoenix for the rose petal shower idea, beta Polaris for the sky writing poem suggestion and Mark’s breakfast in bed for Ginny. Reviewer childofpotter13 suggested a duel, and I thought this would be an excellent chapter to use a mini-version of that… but don’t worry. More duels are due to come!

Next Chapter’s title: The Light Refocused
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=54183