Bittersweet Victory by hearyoume
Summary:
The final battle has ended, and Hermione wonders if it is possible to be victorious when one has suffered so much already. Yet even amongst the tragedy and the heartbreak, she and Harry take comfort in the fact that they at least have each other.
I wonder if he will ever be the same again... I doubt it. Silently, I reach out and touch his hand, which is still wrapped tightly around his wand. I want to remind him that he isn’t a murderer – he is a hero. From now on, the entire Wizarding World will forever know him as their savior. And so will I.
(One-shot, narrated by Hermione. It could be H/Hr... or maybe not. I'll let you decide.)

Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 848 Read: 1657 Published: 07/19/06 Updated: 07/26/06

1. Bittersweet Victory by hearyoume

Bittersweet Victory by hearyoume
Author's Notes:
I wrote this a long time ago and then ended up forgetting about it. Six months later, I find it again and wonder.. Should I submit it? Oh, what the heck. Various elements of this fic were very new to me, so I'd love to hear what you think. Enjoy!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.”
- Aristotle
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


We defeated them.

My body goes numb at this realization and I am suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling of fatigue. I feel completely drained. The arm that has been holding my wand out in front of me goes limp, finally falling to my side. My eyes slowly scan the scene around me, and I look around in wonder.

It’s hard to believe that only hours ago, this field had been empty. Serene. Filled with a stillness that did not leave me feeling haunted or unnerved, as it does now.

For this is the place that both sides gathered so that we could finish this ongoing war with one final battle. As the moon shone ominously in the sky, illuminating this battlefield in an ethereal glow, the fighting and the death and the tragedy began. Body after body fell, eyes open in looks of fury, shock, and hatred. I shiver as I remember all that we have done “ all that I have done.

I look up at the hill in front of me and see a figure standing alone. My breath catches in my throat as I realize who it is. Nothing around me seems to matter anymore as I slowly make my way up the hill. I hear no sound except the beating of my own heart as I approach the tall figure.

He is staring at a body laying at his feet, breathing heavily and clutching his wand so tightly that his knuckles are white. My heart aches for him as I inch closer, watching as my best friend struggles with the realization that he had taken someone’s life.

I pocket my wand, feeling relieved and slightly strange because I don’t need it anymore. I reach the top of the hill and stand beside him, not sure what to do. I study his face, which is flushed and sweaty. His expression is hard to read, despite the fact that I’ve known him for years. It is mostly blank, though I get the feeling that he is fighting to maintain his composure. I wish that I could ease his pain, even just a little bit.

“Harry…” I whisper, unsure of what his response will be.

He does not look up from the body. “It’s over,” he says hoarsely.

I nod my head, while I wonder if he will ever be the same again.

I doubt it.

Silently, I reach out and touch his hand, which is still wrapped tightly around his wand. I want to remind him that he isn’t a murderer “ he is a hero. From now on, the entire Wizarding World will forever know him as their savior. And so will I.

“You did it,” I say. “You won.”

Harry keeps staring at Voldemort’s body until his wand slips through his fingers and falls to the ground beside him. He drops to his knees, burying his face in his hands. He stays there for a moment, completely motionless, until he finally loses it, sobbing uncontrollably on the ground.

I immediately kneel down beside him, blinking rapidly as I try to fight the tears that are threatening to fall down my face at the sight of his anguish. I reach up and place my hand on his back, feeling it rise and fall as he cries.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper weakly, my voice shaking.

Harry removes his hands from his face and looks at me. I get a lump in my throat when I look into the saddest eyes I have ever seen.

“I didn’t win,” he murmurs. “I lost. I lost so much.”

I stare at him, my body aching with the sadness I feel for my best friend.

“But you’re not alone,” I reply, and I pull him into a tight hug.

We hold each other for a long time, his arms wrapped firmly around my waist as I finally allow the tears to escape my own eyes.

“Don’t ever leave me,” Harry whispers.

I will never fully understand just how greatly he has suffered, and I know that the person I cling to is deeply and utterly broken, consumed with unimaginable despair. Nothing I do will ever ease the pain entirely, but I can still try everything I can to lessen his grief. I hope that it will be enough.

“I won’t,” I tell him. “I promise."

He lets go of me, and my chest tightens at the sight of his tear-streaked face. I suddenly realize that I cannot remember the last time I saw him cry.

Harry reaches forward and grasps my shaking hands, holding them securely in his own.

“You’re my best friend,” he says softly.

“Forever,” I breathe.

A single tear slides down my cheek as he gives me a watery smile.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=54743