How He Knew by A House Elf
Summary: Lily makes a slip-of-the-tongue that causes James to wonder.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2096 Read: 3996 Published: 07/22/06 Updated: 07/30/06

1. How He Knew - An Encounter Between James and Lily by A House Elf

How He Knew - An Encounter Between James and Lily by A House Elf
Horribly bored, the Head Girl restrained herself from drumming her fingers, biting her nails, or playing with her hair. Prefect meetings were important, but she knew exactly what had been said, was being said, and would be said. This being her third year attending these meetings, she could have carried out the meeting all on her own with her eyes closed. Besides, how could she concentrate on with him in the room?

James Potter had surprisingly been made Head Boy. After the school had been informed of this unexpected event, rumors of bribing Dumbledore ran wild for a week. Everyone was surprised, but Lily Evans was shocked, angered, and irritated. Of every year she’d lived at Hogwarts, this was the year she most needed to be away from James, the world’s greatest distraction. Yet this whole year she’d been in close contact and residence with him. Twice, she begged to Dumbledore for a change of Head Boy, and twice, she was presented with the question, “Why?”

Last year, the answer would have been easy to present. “Why, sir, he’s irresponsible, a trouble-maker, rebellious, and irritating. His friends are a bad influence, and he cannot handle this position.” This year, that answer was invalid. He was no longer irresponsible; he dutifully carried out every requirement expected of the Head Boy. He was no longer a trouble-maker; he hadn’t hexed anyone, pulled a prank, or sabotaged a teacher in two months. He was no longer rebellious; Professor McGonagall hadn’t given him detention for late homework, witty replies, sarcastic remarks, or defiant rejections the whole year. He was no longer irritating; Lily was comfortable in his presence, and she was surprised at his lack of flirtatious banter.

His friends were a different matter. They still carried on with their pranks and trouble making, and James had to endure much persuasive peer-pressure whenever he refused to join in their fun. He was their leader along with Sirius Black. He had been the instigator of every prank, joke, or hex. He had been the mastermind behind every mischievous scandal they’d planned. Now, he’d turned coat and been made Head Boy.

Lily couldn’t rightfully say he was incapable of handling his position either. To be honest, he occasionally outshined her in their daily duties. Lily would never admit it to anyone, but she was struggling to keep up with him.

Sighing, Lily ran a hand through her hair, but froze as her hand reached her neck. Did she just copy James Potter and run her fingers through her hair to make it messy? With a moan, she put her face in her hands. What was this happening to her? Oh, Lily knew the answer. She missed James. She missed watching him show off for her. She missed watching him laugh when he successfully tricked one of his friends. She missed the glow in his eyes when he played Quidditch, a glow that was becoming rarer every game. When had it started?

If you wanted to pinpoint it to a day, Lily would have chosen James’ birthday that winter. She had given him the same present he had been giving her for years; a certificate. Since first year, Lily had received one every holiday and birthday, a red envelope with a slip of parchment inside. It read, “One free date with James Potter.” He had arrogantly assumed she’d keep them and eventually attempt to use them. He had been correct. She’d made the certificate a present and gave it to him. He’d accepted it so oddly, like it was a business proposal he couldn’t easily get excited about. Lily was put on the alert immediately. Did all this maturity and loss of his old ways cause him to loose his feelings for her as well? Their date had been awkward, since Lily was worried throughout and James was shy. Believing him to be indifferent, Lily shed a few tears before sleeping that night. When he didn’t offer to spend another Hogsmeade trip with her, she bit her lip and bore it without tears, except maybe one as a result of biting too hard.

Her friends suggested that James took her “present” as a token of simple gratitude or pity for his sad state. Lily found the idea ridiculous and didn’t think of it again. It never occurred to her that James’ feelings had been just that.

Bringing herself to the present, she tried to focus on the subject being brought up. Someone was suggesting a new rule.

“I just thinking dating would complicate things. If two prefects date and have to patrol together, they’ll work less efficiently since they’ll see each other as a distraction.”

Since she’d remained quiet throughout this meeting, Lily decided to voice her opinion now and show some authority. After a quick glance at James, she responded to the fifth-year’s idea, “I agree. If there were any tension between a couple, it definitely would be hard to focus. Things might slip their notice.”

A young, Hufflepuff girl with a dreamy expression sighed and objected, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why?” Lily ventured.

“Well, what if they’re in love?”

Lily tensed at the word. “What of it?”

“I don’t think we should keep too lovers apart merely because they’re work might suffer for it. They could honestly be in love. They could honestly need each other, and this rule would keep them apart. What if they’re soul mates?”

This girl had obviously read too many romance novels. “I highly doubt you’re going to find your soul mate at Hogwarts,” said Lily, almost bitterly. “Trust me. Dating is a distraction at best and a disaster at worst. I’ve gone through it twice. This new rule sounds great.”

“You’ve dated three times,” James inserted, as if he was talking of the weather, while his eyes remained locked in a study of his fingers. Lily looked at him oddly.

“No, I’ve only dated two people, James.”

His eyes lifted from his hand to her eyes. Her stomach jolted. He shook his head.

“Three. I counted, and I’m surprised you didn’t.” Where was he going with this? What made him think he knew her better?

“We’ll talk about it later, James,” she ordered quietly. He nodded and resumed his faithful study, leaving Lily shocked. After hearing the rule “set in stone,” Lily ignored the rest of the meeting.

Searching her mind, Lily still came up with only two boys. The first was Peyton Rigel, a transfer from Durmstrang. He’d fancied her all of fourth year and told her so at the beginning of her fifth. She’d agreed to date him for a while, and they ended up dating for the whole year. He’d gone back to Durmstrang during her sixth year, and they’d remained in touch over owl-post. She’d never really felt anything for him. He was just an excuse not go to out with James, her second date, for the heavens knew she wanted to. Ever since…

“That’s all.”

James’ voice startled her from her reverie. He was standing and dismissing the prefects to their duties. Lily stood and grabbed her bag, swinging it over her shoulder. She moved around a few chairs to stand next to James, who was picking up his dropped wand. When he returned to his full height, he nodded unsmilingly at Lily.

She prompted, “What makes you think I’ve dated three people?”

He blinked. “Well, haven’t you?”

“No! There was you and Peyton Rigel. I’ve never dated anyone else. You must have heard some boy lying about it to make himself sound better.”

James shook his head. “No, you told me you were dating him.”

Lily’s head tilted in confusion. “I did?”

“Yes, you told me all about him.” He grimaced and reluctantly choked out a name vulgar to his lips, “Ryan Chadron.”

Lily frowned. “That name rings a bell…” Searching her memory, she recalled a Ryan Chadron in her first year, only he hadn’t been exactly real. “James! Ryan Chadron?” Lily laughed.

Now it was his turn to frown. James answered, “Yes, that was his name.”

With a nostalgic giggle, Lily corrected, “No, I didn’t date him. He’s not real, James. I just pretended to date him so I could have a reason not to date you.”

“Why would you need another reason to say no to me? Isn’t a strong dislike enough?”

Lily’s smile was instantly removed from her pretty face. Did she just admit to James Potter that she liked him in first year? Checking her words, she breathed realizing she’d only implied she needed a reason not to date him. What would he think? “Uh… -I have to… -the prefects… -I-I got to go…”

With her bag on her shoulder, Lily left the room quickly and adopted a quick pace down a hall leading to nowhere in particular except further away from James. Turning around, she saw that wasn’t entirely true, as he was following her. She gasped and walked faster. Of course, his strong, athletic legs caught up to her quickly. Grabbing her arm, he quickly, and without her exactly realizing what he was doing, led her into a broom closet. He pushed her to the back and shut the door behind her, blocking her exit and trapping her in the small closet with only two lamps for illumination.

“Answer the question, Lily,” came the abrupt order.

Breathing fast from the walking and shoving, Lily gasped, “What?”

He narrowed those beautiful eyes of his. “Why would you need a reason other than hatred to reject me?”

Oh, why was he pushing this? Lily’s bag slid off her shoulder, but she didn’t bother to pick it up as she was pinned to her spot by his gaze. “I-I don’t hate you…-James.”

“Answer the question.”

She swallowed. “Why? It doesn’t matter. Let me go!”

He shook his head, his black hair waving everywhere in a way that made Lily’s stomach jolt again. “Tell me.”

Was she sweating? Her face was hot. She was in a room alone with James Potter. It was dimly lit, and he was glaring at her with an intensity that made her senses swim. “I…-I lied about Peyton…-I mean Ryan…-because…-because he was a reason to say no when I wanted to say…-yes…-very much…-because I liked you…”

The corners of his mouth slowly turned into a smile, a triumphant, but not too arrogant smile. He hadn’t smiled in so long. Lily’s hands shook as he leaned slightly nearer.

“You like me?”

“Past tense,” she gulped. “I liked you. I didn’t stay I still do.”
Moving closer with an almost predatory sway, the arrogant and rebellious James, the one Lily had been missing, was suddenly dug up from his grave and brought back to life.

“So, you think you’re over me?”

Shrinking against the wall, Lily meekly nodded.

“Well, what’s there to like? Why did you like me before? Was it because I’m the James Potter?”

Again a nod.

“Was it because I’m a famous Marauder?”

She made no response to this question. He was too close. His gaze dropped to her lips and Lily swallowed, trying to make it past the lump lodged in her throat. He ran a finger along her jaw, causing her to melt against the back wall.

“Was it because I’m such a bloody good Quidditch player?”

Possessively, he ran his fingers through her hair. She was sorely tempted to close her eyes and enjoy his hands on her. Giving into instinct, her eyelids fluttered and closed. She could smell him. He was so close. Breathing was not an option when Lily heard his voice again and opened her eyes to his lips barely inches from hers.

“Maybe because you heard that I’m a really good kisser?”

Her almond-shaped eyes turned largely oval at this statement. Her hands grasped the shelves until her knuckles turned white; her knees could no longer support her. Leaning back enough to let her breathe, James took in all he’d done to her. Smirking attractively, James placed his hands on her cheek and his mouth next to her ear while whispering, “Oh, but Lily, you do still like me.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=54940