Love In a Letter by fan4life06
Summary: As Hermione Granger takes you through the past memories of her and Harry together, she waits for the words she's needed to hear to free herself from the struggle of Harry Potter's death; A sense of peace and love she's afraid she'll never feel again.
Categories: Harry/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3443 Read: 1420 Published: 07/30/06 Updated: 08/07/06

1. Chapter 1 by fan4life06

Chapter 1 by fan4life06
**** Hello, this is my first one-shot fic. It's quite sad, but very romantic. A tissue may be in order. Please review if you can. note: I just realized the 'Dumbledore's wedding' mistake and have corrected it! I'm so sorry!****





The sky was a cold gray, the air was wispy with traces of hidden moist. Hermione Granger walked slowly along the embedded path, watching bird’s fly gracefully in the air, and the trees swing silently in the wind. A small tear slipped from her eye and ran down her cheek, dripping off her chin. How fast a life could change in only a moment.



Hermione Granger’s life had been good.



After 6th year, Harry and Hermione got very close, while Hermione stayed with Harry at the Dursley’s for three weeks before heading to the Burrow for Bill and Fleur’s wedding. Ron reluctantly had agreed to go home with his mother and family during this time. Hermione spoke to Harry about things she had scarcely told anyone before. Harry the same. She was his only source of support after poor Dumbledore's funeral. He, for the first time she thought, had brought out his complete true feelings about everything. It was more then she could have ever asked for.



After two weeks, Hermione realized she had fallen hopelessly in love with Harry Potter. Actually, she was pretty sure she had before, only was too oblivious to realize. He was really under her nose the whole time. She was too caught up in her books, and helping him with Voldemort to see him in his true light. Sure, she knew when he was lying, how he felt, thought he did not say it, but it was so much different when it was just him and her. Her one wish came true when Harry confessed his own love for her one night, two weeks into their happy stay, now that the Dursley's were too afraid to even bother them at all.



Flashback



“Hermione…can I talk to you about something?” Harry asked quietly. Hermione turned to Harry with wonder in her eyes and nodded.



“What is it, Harry?” Harry looked at her intently. Hermione wondered if someday she would be able to kiss those lips that looked so welcoming in her presence.



“I love you, Hermione. I have for a very long time. I only realized it after I had broken up with Ginny. Before, the feelings I had for you were pushed aside in my mind. It didnt seem right. I don’t know if you feel the same way, but I had to tell you. I can’t go another moment without telling you I love you.” Hermione stared at Harry in shock for a minute before breaking into a sweet smile.



“Oh, Harry. I feel… I feel the exact same way,” Hermione countered breathlessly. Her heart skipped a beat and lurched as Harry smiled.



“Really?”



“Yes, really.” Harry stepped a pace forward. Hermione could feel her breath stop as he began to lean into her. She closed her eyes and finally felt Harry’s beautiful lips on hers. Her knees weakened, and she melted into there very first kiss. The imaginary fireworks that she once had believed did not actually happen, fired colorfully in the back of her mind. Harry deepened the kiss, asking her mouth permission of his tongue to enter. Hermione obliged, as she ran a hand through Harry’s raven black hair. Finally, they broke apart, and Hermione stared at Harry.



“I love you,” he said clearly, but whispering. Hermione smiled and hugged him tightly. Whispering into his left ear, she said,



“I love you too, Harry.”



End Flashback




Hermione let a small smile form on her lips as she relived that moment in time. When they went to the burrow a week later, they told Ron. Hermione just had to let out a little giggle, while she walked, and again, thought back to that memorable time.



Flashback:



“Ron… Hermione and I need to tell you something,” Harry began hesitantly. Ron looked at him curiously.



“What? Is it something to do with…Voldemort?” Ron asked, suddenly becoming fearful. Harry shifted uncomfortably. Hermione bit back a smile. She wondered how Ron would take this. She knew that he had liked her for a long time… or so she thought. She had to admit she had had a bit of a crush on him in fourth year, but not much beyond that. The comfort she had with him was now merely out of best friend affection.



“Not exactly. Okay…well…you know how Hermione and I were together for awhile before coming here?” Harry asked quickly, waiting only until he got a nod before continuing. “Yes well… we got really close and… we’re together now. As in… boyfriend, girlfriend together.” Hermione was waiting patiently and rather anxiously for the predetermined blow. She glanced over at Harry to see him winding back, almost as if he was wincing, also waiting for Ron to explode. Suddenly, Ron began to throw his head back in laughter. Hermione momentarily wondered if he had gone insane. She gave Harry a very incredulous look. Ron finally calmed while Hermione and Harry waited nervously for him to speak.



“You both were convinced I was going to bloody blow, weren’t you?” He asked, with an amused smile plastered on his face.



“Well…yes,” Hermione confessed. Ron chuckled again.



“See, thing is, I was just waiting for this to happen. It was so bloody obvious at the end of this year. I mean, I know Hermione and I had a thing for each other in fourth yeah. I liked her longer than that, but by 6th year, I was over her. When you two decided to stay together I knew that during those three weeks you would end up a couple. I would have been flabbergasted if you weren’t,” he said smartly. Harry looked at him thickly. Hermione just giggled and hugged Ron tightly.



“Thanks, Ron,” she whispered. Ron grinned, and Hermione watched Harry give Ron a confused smile.



“You never cease to amaze me, mate,” he said finally. Ron gave a cocky smile.



“Caught you a bit off guard there, eh?” Harry laughed.



“Yeah, just a bit.”



End flashback




Things were wonderful for awhile after that. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had been accepted to become part of The Order. For months, instead of school, since it had been decided to not open for the next year, they trained and came up with strategies to get to Voldemort. Though Hermione knew she was in grave danger, and that soon Harry would have to go and fight, she did not care. She was happier more than any other time in her life. They worked closely together and then finally, there was news. The Order had found Snape. Hermione had never seen Harry so angry before. He was murderous, and left as soon as he knew Snape’s position. That was in November. Harry came back three days later and announced that Snape was gone. Hermione was, of course, shocked that Harry had actually gone through with the horrendous kill, but she also knew how much he hated Snape. Snape deserved to die any way. It was only a matter of time before somebody would have slaughtered him.



Hermione wound around a corner, reaching ever closer to her destination. She looked down at her tiny hand, looking closely at the ring that was around her ring finger. Another moment in time was brought back to her clear memory. On a December night. Actually, on a Christmas Eve night. That night would forever remain in her mind. Always and forever.



Flashback



Hermione stood on the back lawn of the Burrow. She watched as the moon stood silently in place. The stars above her twinkled. It was Christmas Eve night. The snow crunched from beneath her as she shifted her weight from her left foot to her right. The trees were flaked with light fluffy snow, and gifted with icicles. It was a beautiful sight. Tomorrow morning another Christmas would go by. At that moment, a sturdy pair of arms snaked around her small waist. She did not even hesitate to wonder who it was. Those arms gripped her tightly, and a chin found its place at the top of her head that was covered by a hat. Hermione leaned back into a comfortable embrace.



“How are you tonight, my dear?” Harry asked sweetly. Hermione could tell he was grinning, and she smiled.



“Very good. And you?” Harry shifted just slightly.



“Quite good. It’s quite warm for a December night, isn’t it?” Harry said, attempting a start of conversation. Odd, it was. Harry had never started a conversation about weather. Ever!



“Indeed. But since when have you talked about the weather?” Hermione asked, raising a brow, though Harry could not see it.



“Well, I- well,” Harry stuttered. Okay, now something was definitely up. What was he getting at? Hermione unlocked his fingers and turned around so she was facing him.



“Harry?” She asked quizzically. Harry smiled nervously at her.



“Hermione… do you love me?” He inquired. She thought this was rather a silly question, but he looked very serious, so she answered with seriousness.



“Of course, love, why do you ask such a question?” Harry seemed to ignore her question. He bit his lip and took her hands.



“Hermione… from the moment I met you, I knew we would some how become friends. You’ve been with me every step of the way since we met on the train in first year. Through the years, we only became closer,” Harry said, stopping a moment to take a breath. Hermione’s breathing became labored when Harry crouched on one knee in the snow. “When I asked you out, and we kissed, I felt like nothing could go wrong. Since then, I’ve never stopped feeling that way. And I wish to feel this way for the rest of my life. You’ve changed me in so many ways its hard to believe. With you, I feel like I can conquer anything I want. I love you with all my heart, my soul, my mind. Hermione Jane Granger, will you do me the honor of becoming my beautiful wife?” He asked slowly, opening a small box with a beautiful ring in it. In the middle were three diamond stones. Hermione’s happy tears dripped down her face as she smiled.



“Yes, Harry…yes. A thousand times yes,” she said breathlessly, bringing him up from the ground and hugging him tightly. She let go and kissed him. Harry wiped her tears with his thumbs and then slipped the ring on her finger. “It’s beautiful,” she whispered. Harry kissed her forehead, wiping his own few tears that had mysteriously appeared on his young face.



“Your beautiful,” he replied. Hermione smiled, then Harry added, “Look at the engraved part.” Hermione looked at him and then looked inside the ring. There, laid three words. ‘Forever, my love.’ She looked up again to find Harry smiling.



“Forever,” he whispered. Hermione nodded and hugged him again.



“Forever.”



End flashback




Less that two months later, Harry and Hermione, both at the age of 18, were married on February 13th. Everyone that mattered attended, and it had been the best day of Hermione’s entire life. Hermione and Harry moved to a small flat as close to the Burrow as they could get. As newlyweds, they barely fought at all, and were more in love then ever before, if that was possible. Life went on well, with Harry going through Auror training, and Hermione training to be a healer. In the beginning of June, Hermione announced she was a month pregnant. Harry was so overjoyed, he bawled with happiness. Harry had always wanted a family.



Then things began to get ultimately scary. July came, and the Order had finally gained Voldemort’s whereabouts. It was time for Harry to leave for the final battle, to win, to kill Voldemort. Hermione pleaded with him desperately not to go, but she knew in the end that it was his destiny; his fate, to go. July 15th was the last time Hermione ever saw Harry again.



Flashback



“Hermione…” Ron began quietly. Hermione feared the worst.



“What’s happened, Ron? Tell me,” she said hurriedly. Ron looked in a very bad state. Blood matted his hair and clothes, and he had scars and cuts all over him.



“It’s over,” Ron croaked. “Voldemort’s gone…but… Harry… Oh, Hermione, I’m so sorry,” Ron said, beginning to sob. Hermione already knew what that meant. She sat down, shocked, holding her belly with care.



“No…no it can’t be true,” she pleaded with him. Ron shook his head in sympathy.



“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “They both were killed instantly… he suffered no pain.” Hermione sat without a tear falling. She was in pure denial. Harry was not gone from her life. He had only been gone for three weeks… he told her he’d be back. He wasn’t gone… he couldn’t be.



“No…” she said hopelessly. And then, she broke.



End flashback




That had been four months ago. Hermione’s devastation could not be noted, as she had kept to herself much of the time. But she could tell you it had not been easy, with the ever-teetering thought of taking her own life. The thought that kept her alive most was the unborn baby. As Hermione quickly wiped her unwanted tears from the last memory she produced in her own gripped mind, she reached her destination.



Harry’s grave.



She visited it all the time. It was put alongside with his mum, his dad, Sirius and Dumbledore. It was a very private place, and not a lot of people knew where it was actually placed. For awhile, Hermione was very angry. She’d come to visit and end up kicking and punching the gravestone, or the ground, leaving her knuckles raw and in a lot of pain. But she had gotten over that. Now it was just tears. More and more tears. She knew that she had to stay strong for her and Harry’s baby. Harry wouldn’t have wanted her to give up. She wished she could see him one last time. She slowly dropped herself on the ground, now being very pregnant, at seven and a half months. Harry’s picture was on his gravestone, as well as the engraved part that said:



Harry Potter

A hero, a loving husband, and a soon-to-be father.

He gave the entire wizarding world peace, and will forever be remembered.




Hermione grazed her hand over the polished rock. If only… if only it had been different. She wondered how he was doing with him mum and dad, Sirius, Dumbledore, Ginny and so many others. Ron had still not found Harry’s will. Hermione knew very well that he had one, because he told her he’d written it before he left…but they could not find it.



Her tears began to splash down her aged face again.



“Oh, Harry…” she whispered somberly. “I miss you so badly, love.” Hermione’s tears thickened as she held her stomach tightly. “I hope your happy up there,” she said loudly. A branch snapped from behind, and Hermione swapped at her eyes before turning around and seeing Ron lean against a tree, with a sad smile.



“I thought I’d find you here,” he said. Hermione forced a smile.



“How are you, Ron?”



“Could be better, you?”



Hermione snorted. “I’ve had better, yes.” Ron’s smiled faded further.



“It’ll be okay, ‘Mione,” he said reassuringly. Hermione nodded her head a fraction of an inch.



“I know,” she whispered, losing all the sarcasm in her voice.



“We found the will, Hermione,” Ron said finally. Hermione’s mouth dropped open.



“Really?”



“Yes. They’re going through it at the bank right now.”



“When will we get to see it?” Ron shrugged accordingly.



“Soon, I assume.” Hermione nodded.



“There’s something else, isn’t there? I can tell,” she said curiously.



“Yes. There was a letter for you, for me, and for the child,” Ron said carefully. Hermione’s eyes widened.



“I thought he might have,” she said knowingly. Ron nodded.



“I knew he would have. He just seems like the kind of person that would. The letter for your guys' child is only to be opened by you our him/her when you figure they are old enough to understand.” Hermione nodded. She was very glad Harry had done that.



“When can I see mine?”



“Right now, if you’d like,” Ron said, pulling out an envelope from his jacket pocket. Hermione stood. She walked over to Ron and he placed it carefully in her hands. Hermione looked at the addressed letter in her name, and then at Ron. Tears had formed in the corner of his eyes, clinging to his long eyelashes. Hermione hugged him tightly.



“I’ll leave you alone to read it,” he said politely, and apparated with a wave and a small smile. Hermione waddled back over to Harry’s grave and sat. She fingered the envelope carefully, inspecting every piece of the outside before slitting it open. Hermione took the long piece of parchment out and unfolded it anxiously.



My dearest Hermione,



If you’re reading this, I very much wish you weren’t. I know that if you are, I have defeated Voldemort too. I can feel it in my bones that I will. I wish that I had never had this fate sometimes, for fear of leaving you. That above everything else is my worst fear. I hope you will not hate me for leaving this early into our life.



From the moment I met you, you changed my life. You showed me kindness and understanding even if I was ‘the boy who lived’. I don’t know where I would be now if you had not come into my life that day on the train.



When we started going out, I felt incandescently happy. Nothing could bring my mood down. And if it did, you were always there to lighten it. Just by being there. We only went out for four months before I asked you to marry me, but I would’ve asked you the night I told you I loved you. Nothing could ever part me from you, except death. You being in my life is the greatest miracle a man can ask for. And you carrying my child is the most beautiful thing on this earth; other than you, my darling. Being with you makes me okay with the fact that I am the boy who lived. I accept it because I know I will never have to be alone with just the title.



Every moment we’ve shared together, I’ve cherished like no other. Whether it was fighting, or just having a good laugh. You are my best friend, my true love, my soul mate, and my other half.



I don’t want you to always be sad, love. Be strong for our child, and tell him/her all the memories you have of me. Not just the heroic ones. Grieve, cry, be angry, but then be happy. I want you to move on, raise our child, find another love. Don’t stay in the same spot because I’m dead. When somebody says my name, I do not want your beautiful smile to fade. I want you to keep smiling, and to laugh. Always remember the good, Hermione. Always laugh.



I love you. I know I’ve said it so many times before, but I can never say it enough. I hold a love for you deeper than any other kind imaginable. I love you. I love you. I love you. Be happy, my dear. I’ll always be with you somehow. In heart, or in mind.



Forever, my love.



All my heart,

Harry.




Hermione folded the letter, and put it in its envelope. She cried silently, and let her tears drip onto the cold gravestone. He was free, and now she was too. She knew he would always be with her.



“I love you, Harry. I always will, my dear,” she prospered aloud. A strong wind came through her, leaving Hermione with a strange sense of peace. She knew it had been Harry. He was there with her now. She had his love. His love in a letter. She knew now, that she was going to be okay.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=55421