The Quidditch Captain by Weasel King Fan
Summary: Harry is back at Hogwarts for his sixth year and is the new captain of Gryffindor's Quidditch team. But, in his first season as captain, things don't exactly go according to plan...
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 2764 Read: 12489 Published: 12/07/04 Updated: 12/28/04

1. Chapter 1 by Weasel King Fan

2. Chapter 2 by Weasel King Fan

3. Chapter 3 by Weasel King Fan

4. Chapter 4 by Weasel King Fan

5. Chapter 5 by Weasel King Fan

Chapter 1 by Weasel King Fan
Harry and Ron were walking down to the Quidditch pitch for the first practice of the season.

"This new captain better be good," joked Ron. Harry grinned. He was the newly appointed captain of the Gryffindor team. As he walked, he imagined his new team's winning the Quidditch Cup under his leadership, and his grin widened.

Ron and Harry reached the locker room and started to change into their Quidditch robes. The rest of the team started to file in: chasers Katie, Ginny, and, in his Quidditch debet, Lee Jordan (Lee had always done the commentary for the matches but had proved surprisingly superior at the try-outs), and beaters Jack Sloper and Geoffrey Hooper. Ron remained the keeper and Harry was, of course, the reinstated seeker.

"Right," said Harry as everyone looked expectantly up at him, "as you know, I'm the new captain for Gryffindor. I know we'll have a great season if we just work hard and try our best. We've got a great team and, with some effort from everyone, we can win the Quidditch Cup this year."

Ron interjected an enthousiastic whoop, which set everyone off on a round of applause.

Harry continued, "Er, today I thought we'd just try some passing and shooting, just to see where we're at. So let's get started."

Harry lead his team out of the locker room and onto the pitch. His Firebolt vibrated beneath his fingers as though begging to be ridden once again.

"Let's just take a warm-up lap," said Harry. He mounted his broom, kicked off, and was off, soaring in the air, finally, again. Harry took in the feeling of being back in the air where he belonged as he whizzed around the goal posts. He went into a spectacular dive, pulling out just in time to tumble lightly onto the grass below. He heard clapping to his left and turned. Hermione and Proffessor McGonagall were sitting in the stands and had evidently come to watch the practice. Harry smiled at them before turning to him team, who had also all landed.

"Jack, Geoffrey, if you could get the balls and your clubs, we'll get started. "

Five minutes later, they were practicing in the air. Harry had set Jack and Geoffrey working with one Bludger, whacking it back and forth between them like some fom of mid-air pong. Ron was protecting the goal posts while Lee, Katie, and Ginny passed and shot. Harry just observed for a while.

He found that Jack and Geoffrey were a lot worse than he had expected. As for the chasers, well, Ginny and Katie were quite good, but Lee had a tendancy to intercept the Quaffle and try to shoot and do everything himself -- subsequently usually missing the posts all together. When a shot did get aimed at the posts, Ron only saved about one third of them.

This is pathetic, thought Harry. Feeling much less excited and happy than he had at the beginning of practice, Harry decided to call it a day. He and his team landed, his hopes of a cup victory dashed.
Chapter 2 by Weasel King Fan
Back in the common room, Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat discussing the practice.

"It wasn't that bad," said Hermione, "I mean it wasn't the best practice, but keep in mind, it was the first one." Ron had noticed how abysmal the prctice had been, too.

"Oh, come on, Hermione, we were terrible. The only way we'll have a chance to win the cup is if Harry catches the snitch in the first thirty seconds of every match."

At breakfast the next day, Proffessor McGonnagal approached Harry at the Gryffindor table.

"Well, Potter, that certainly was an, erm, interesting practice. Now, don't take it so hard, it was only the first one, but frankly I see no hope for Gryffindor unless I get you some assistance. You and the team be down at the pitch at 7:00 tonight." And she walked away. Slightly puzzled, Harry wondered what kind of assistance he would be receiving tonight.

At quarter to seven Harry, Ron and the rest of the team made their way down to the Quidditch pitch. They were all thouroughly baffled, but excited, at the prospect of some help. Just as Harry was imagining again the thought of winning the cup, a voice said, "Hussle up, team, we've got a lot of work to do!" Harry couldn't beleive his eyes: Oliver Wood was striding towards them, navy blue Puddlemere United robes and all. Katie shrieked with excitement and ran up to him to embrace him, while Harry shook his hand.

"Alright, Potter?" said Wood. "Captain, eh? I'm not surprised, you were an increadible player. Wow, it's great to be back here... Anyway, McGonnagal said you were having some trouble and asked me to help train you. I'm going to watch you first, then see what I can do. Well, off you go."

Harry set everyone doing the same as the day before. However, this practice was, if possible, worse than that of yeaterday. Oliver flew up to meet them with an utterly sickened look on his face.

"Okay, that was...er...not bad." He managed to choke out, "I think I'll work with the Keeper first...you, you're a Weasley, yeah?"

"Er, yeah," said Ron.

"Alright, you come with me, the rest of you, carry on."

Wood spent the rest of practice teaching Ron new moves and the like. By the end, Ron was much improved.

Although a Keeper himself, for the next week Wood instructed each member of the team individually, teaching Katie and Harry, the more advanced players, new moves he had learned on the Puddlemere United team. As he bid them all goodbye, promising to come see one of their matches, the whole team had a heightened sense of pride, and Gryffindor's chances were looking good.
Chapter 3 by Weasel King Fan
The day of the first match, conditions were perfect. There was just enough cloud coverage and the ground was soft. Harry led his team onto the pitch to tumultuous applause from half of the supporters: they were playing Ravenclaw, and Slytherin certainly wouldn't be cheering for Gryffindor.

"Captains, shake hands," commanded Mamadm Hooch. Harry shook with the Ravenclaw captain, his heart racing. He didn't know why he was so nervouse- he'd played plenty of Quidditch matches before. He supposed it was just the added pressure of being captain.

With a blast from Madam Hooch's whistle, the game began. Harry rose high above the rest of the game looking for the Snitch.

The game went smoothly for some time; the score was 40-40 after fifteen minutes, and Harry only had to remind Ron once to stay in the center of the hoops. But Harry still hadn't spotted the tiny fluttering Snitch.

Suddenly, Harry heard a scream. He looked down and, to his horror, saw Ginny falling fast towards the ground, her broom tumbling after her. He was flat on his Firebolt, urging it forward, diving to catch her. However, since he had been so high up looking for the Snitch, he was just too far away. Ginny hit the ground with a crack.

Harry landed next to her, perfectly aware that the match was still in progress above him. He knealt beside Ginny, who was crying and her leg was sticking out at an odd angle.

"Ginny, what happened?" asked Harry.

"I crashed with a Ravenclaw Chaser! My leg, I think it's broken!" cried Ginny. By this time Ron had appeared beside her as well, his face white with a look of fright. Harry signaled a time out, and the shrill blast of Madam Hooch's whistle could be heard.

When it was determined that Ginny could no longer continue playing, the game was postponed and Ginny was taken up to the hospital wing in a stretcher. The only one permitted to go along was Ron, who was shaking slightly and who was still pale. Ginny had also asked for Harry, but Madam Pomfrey would not allow it. She was only letting Ron because he was Ginny's brother.

An hour later, Ron reported back to the Gryffindor Coomon Room with news that Ginny would be in the hospital for a few days. According to Ron, her leg was broken in two places, and it would take Madam Pomfrey and a lot of potion a few days to heal it.

Ron sat down in an armchair by the fire looking miserable. Hermione went over to comfort him.

"She'll be alright, Ron, don't worry," she said, "Look, tomorrow's Hogsmeade, we could get her a get-well present." This seemed to cheer Ron up a bit, at least enough to beat Harry spectacualarly at Wizard chess.

A/N: I know it says in QTTA that if a player is injured, the game will continue, but I thought that they would be a bit more sympathetic at Hogwarts to injured students. ;)
Chapter 4 by Weasel King Fan
In Hogsmeade the next day, Harry, Ron, and Hermione all pitched in to buy a heaping bag of Honeydukes sweets for Ginny. When they returned, they went straight to the hospital wing to give it to her. They found her lying in bed stubbornly refusing a steaming potion from Madam Pomfrey. Their arrival seemed to brighten her up, however. She even took her potion.

"It's dead boring in here, I've got nothing to do," she complained while the four shared the Honeydukes candy. They were gathered around her bed, Ron strategically seated next to the sweets, Harry up near Ginny's head, stroking her soft ginger hair. "I've even done all my homework and counted all the stripes on these pajamas."

"Sorry I couldn’t catch you," said Harry. His hand moved to her cheek.

"Oh, it wasn't your fault, it was that bloody Ravenclaw Chaser. I think he did it on purpose."

"Well, at least you'll be well before the next match," said Hermione.

"Yeah, Madam Pomfrey's a miracle worker. Too bad she doesn't really like visitors," said Ginny, in an undertone because Madam Pomfrey was casting a suspicious eye in their direction.

Ron hadn't said anything the whole time. He was staring at Harry with an odd expression on his face.

"Ron, what's the matter?" asked Ginny, gripping Harry's hand.

Ron pulled his eyes away from Harry and said, "Nothing. Not a thing. We should go. Lots of homework, you know." And he got up and left the ward. Hermione stared worriedly after him.

"I should go see what's wrong." She, too, left.

"Maybe you should go to," said Ginny.

"Do you want me to?" said Harry.

"Well, no...." Her voice trailed off. "But I'm worried about Ron, and he's your best mate. Plus, I think I know what's the matter. You really should go talk to him, you know."

"Yeah, I've got a hunch myself." said Harry thoughtfully. "I'll see you tomorrow, Gin." He gave her hand one last squeeze and left.

***************************************************

When Harry got back to the common room, Ron was sitting talking to Hermione; Hermione was listening intently as Ron was apparently spilling his heart. As he talked, Hermione put a hand on his knee. Harry went over to them, which caused them to stop abruptly.

"Ron, I think you should talk to Harry," said Hermione gently. Ron sighed, then nodded and Hermione got up and headed towards the girls' dorms. Harry sat down opposite Ron.

"Is this about Ginny?" he asked. "Because we're not dating or anything."

"I know, I know," said Ron. "But I see you and Ginny together and you've got this sort of...I dunno, bond. Like and unspoken vow to be like that. And I'm just amazed, you're so good about it, so good with her, with girls. And I can't even figure out how to...how to even tell..." He trailed off.

"Who?” prompted Harry. "Go on!"

"How to even tell Hermione that I like her."

Harry was stunned. Ron liked Hermione? But they were always bickering. This was just too hard to believe. It had never even crossed Harry's mind.

"I suppose you just have to do it, mate. Just tell her."

"Yeah..." said Ron. "I'll just do it. I mean, how bad can it be? Yeah," he said again. "Well, night Harry."

"Er, night."
Chapter 5 by Weasel King Fan
The next day was Sunday, so Harry had a lie-in. When he woke up, the dormitory was empty except for Ron, who was sitting on the end of his bed, talking to himself.

"Hermione, I like you. No, no, no. Hermione, I think I really like you." He was apparantly practicing what he was going to say to Hermione.

"Whatever you say will be fine," said Harry, making Ron jump.

"Harry! Er, didn't see you mate," stammered Ron, embarassed. Harry just grinned and went downstairs into the Common Room.

"Harry! how's Ron? I figured he would react like that when he realized how you were with his little sister. But is he okay now?"
"Hermione, what are you talking about? "

"Didn't Ron tell you he was upset about you and Ginny?"

"Wh-Oh yeah. Yeah, we talked and it's all good now." said Harry, realizing what Ron had done.

"Oh, good, I was worrying." They stood in silence for a minute until Ron came down. The trio went down to breakfast together before heading back up to the Common Room to do their homework. They worked for awhile until Ron gave Harry a meaningful look.

"Er, I need to get my, er, History of Magic book." said Harry, heading upstairs. He waited ten minutes...

When he emerged at the top of the staircase again, it was to witness an amazing sight: Ron and Hermione were kissing!

"Do you mind not snogging in front of the first years? " said Harry sarcastically. They looked up and smiled. Harry ran downstairs and gave Ron a thump on the back. "C'mon, let's go visit Ginny."

This was Ginny's last day in the hospital wing, which made her very restless. Her leg was healed, but Madam Pomfrey wanted to be completley sure she was well. When Ron and Hermione walked in holding hands, Ginny jumped out of bed, causing Madam Pomfrey to emit a shreik. She walked back to her office, muttering something about "restless teenagers".

"Urrgh, I can't wait to get out of here," said Ginny.

"Yeah, Quidditch practice tomorrow." said Harry. They all laughed.

***
The day of the rematch against Ravenclaw was on Wednesday, so Gryffindor practiced hard for two days. The day of the match, Ginny looked rather miserable at breakfast.

"It'll be okay, Gin, you'll be fine," said Harry, patting her on the back.

"I dunno, I'm just scared of falling again." said Ginny.

"This isn't like you, Ginny, you usually bounce right back, get right back on that horse," observed Hermione. Ginny put down her fork, having eaten about one bite.

In the locker room, Harry gave his team a pep-talk; not nearly as long-winded as Oliver Wood's had been.

".....so don't worry, it's not a big match, but just play hard, not dirty, use the new moves, and we'll be fine" he finished. "alright, it's time," he said. They went onto the pitch to take their positions. A blast from the whistle, and they were off.

Again, Harry flew high above the rest of the match to search for the tiny Golden Snitch. He flew ever so slowly, circling the pitch. Then, he saw it- a glint of gold, a flutter of wings, the Snitch was hovering around the Ravwnclaw goalposts. With a burst of speed, Harry was off towards the opposite end, not turning to check if the other Seeker was following him. He reached out his hand...closer...closer... yes! His fingers closed around the tiny struggling ball. He heard someone curse behind him and saw the Ravenclaw Seeker descending slowly.

Harry landed and his team surrounded him, all grinning and laughing joyously. Harry heard the new commenator, Colin Creevey, yelling the results into a megaphone:

" The final score of 190 to 40 gives Gryffindor the first win of the season!"

Maybe it was going to be a good season after all.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5559