Roses Of Yesterday by Raven_Stag
Summary: In the three years since Harry left Hogwarts he secluded himself away from those he loves. Wrapped in his own depression he receives a phone call that promises to change his current fate forever. Not only is chapter seven up but EIGHT as well!
Categories: Harry/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 7235 Read: 24986 Published: 12/07/04 Updated: 09/05/05

1. Prologue by Raven_Stag

2. Call from the Past by Raven_Stag

3. The Leaky Cauldron by Raven_Stag

4. Abduction by Raven_Stag

5. For Always by Raven_Stag

6. Tea At the Weasley's by Raven_Stag

7. Betrayal by Raven_Stag

8. The Graveyard by Raven_Stag

Prologue by Raven_Stag
Disclaimer: For time's sake, I don't own Harry Potter.

Pictures played through his mind, of lost dreams and forgotten friends. Like a slide show with no end, it continued on, only to stop, some what unexpectedly, at a memory not exactly profound, nor terribly special, yet which managed to provoke a tear from the would be watcher.

It was seventh year, and he, Harry, had managed to lay himself up in hospital yet again, and within two days of Christmas break no less. As the Weasleys had planed a trip to visit Charlie in Romania, Hermione had invited him to her house for the holidays. Now, due to injury, Harry couldn’t travel. Hermione wrote her parents explaining the situation and requesting permission to stay at Hogwarts.

“But Hermione, you don’t see your parents enough as it is!”

“Harry Potter, I refuse to leave you all a lone in this castle for Christmas!”

“I can manage,” she gave him a look, “really I can.”

“I’m staying and that’s final!” It was final too, and though Harry didn’t like to admit it, he was glad to have her with him. Every day they ate breakfast together, then play a game or talk for a bit. By the third day, they were both bored out of their minds. It was then that Hermione decided to learn French, and since Harry was unable to leave the area in which she chose to study, namely his hospital bed, he, though somewhat grudgingly, learned to speak French as well.

On Christmas Eve Harry woke from a sound sleep. Wondering what had woken him, he opened his eyes to see the warm, caring eyes of Hermione Granger looking down at him.

“Hermione, what the”“

She put a finger to her lips, “Shhh…I just wanted to give you an early Christmas present.” From her robe, she pulled out a long thin package. “It’s not what you think.” She leaned down and kissed him. It lasted a second, no more, but it took his breath a way all the same. “Night Harry.” And she was gone, like waif in the night, leaving no trace of her former presence there but a long thin package on the nightstand.


It was four years later and neither had yet brought up the kiss, nor the package. In fact, it seemed as though the only time they had met in the years since leaving Hogwarts was Ron and Luna’s wedding and that was year ago at least. That couldn’t be right could it? Yet it was.

A/N: I relize how short this is, but it is only a prologue, so they'll be longer in future.
Call from the Past by Raven_Stag
**Dream**
He was there at the Final Battle once again, a sea of raging humanity surrounded him, engulfing him, but he took no notice. Dumbledore, he had to get to Dumbledore. He could see him up head, fighting Voldemort. Why, oh why was he fighting Voldemort? That was his, Harry’s burden and no one else’s.

Just as he reached them the area exploded in a violent orange light. Harry was thrown ten feet, landing on top of Lupin. The orange light faded like a sunset, still shining strong until suddenly it slips down beneath the horizon. When the dust had settled Harry could make out the form of Dumbledore lying crumpled on the ground, Lord Voldemort was nowhere to be seen. He rushed over to Dumbledore, Lupin following close behind. As he knelt in the dust and debris surrounding Dumbledore, his headmaster’s eyes flickered open. Even in the present circumstances his eyes still twinkled.

“Why? Why did you do it? It wasn’t your fight,” Harry sobbed.

“Harry, I don’t have much time now. Voldemort is still not finished, though he is rather weakened. You must prepare yourself now, for when the time comes it shall be you who faces him, you who finally defeats him. You will know when the time for your fight has come, trust me on that.”

“Why though?”

Dumbledore sighed and gave a shrug. “It just wasn’t your time, you weren’t ready.” Harry could see that Dumbledore had no more energy for talking and so he sat in silence through Dumbledore’s final moments, till the twinkle faded and all that was left were two somber gray eyes. Harry was in shock, this man, his Headmaster, his mentor, his friend, was gone, gone. Gone. It didn’t seem possible.


Brrring! Brrring!


Harry woke with a start. He’d been having that dream again, the one in which he was forced to relive the Final Battle in every detail, from the orange flash to Dumbledore’s death. Only this time the dream had been cut short, it had not gone on to Lupin and the others sympathy and the Death Eaters defeat.


Brrring! Brrring!


Oh yeah, he thought, that’s why. He put on his glasses and looked at the clock. It read 2:08 A.M.

“Who ever this is it better be good.” He muttered to himself. He picked up the phone, “Hello.”

“Harry! Oh thank God I got you!” Harry looked at the phone, was that who he thought it was?

“Hermione, is that you?”

“Yep. I know it's really late, or maybe really early, but could you meet me at the Leaky Cauldron in, say, half an hour?”

“Hermione, its two o’clock in the morning!”

“Please, it’s really important.”

“Oh alright.”

“See you there.”

“Bye.” He hung up and flicked on the light. Rubbing his eyes, he got dressed and sat on the bed, looking around the room. His gaze fell upon his wardrobe where the package Hermione had given him lay, still wrapped. He stared at it a second, debating silently whether or not he should open it. No, he decided, no I don’t think so. He didn’t know why but the thought made him uncomfortable, like didn’t know what he’d be getting into.

While he had inherited Grimmauld Place, he had long ago decided to let Tonks, Lupin and Dobby live there in peace with out his depressing presence. He instead rented a one bedroom flat in the midst of the hustle and bustle of London. Once a week Dobby dropped in to clean and check that Harry was more or less a live. But as Ginny had said when they broke up, “He may be breathing, but he’s not living.” Harry rarely got out. In fact, not counting going to work this would be his first time out since Christmas, when he, Lupin, Tonks and all the Weasleys had gathered at Molly's and Arthur's.

He got up and went through the living room into the kitchen to make coffee. Sipping it, he looked over his fridge. It was covered in pictures of everyone, from Ron to Lupin, but right at the center was the picture of his parents and Sirius on his parents' wedding day. Sirius, Lily, James, Cedric, Dumbledore, how many more would die before Voldemort was stopped? He sighed, put the coffee mug in the sink and got his coat. Locking the door behind him, he walked the couple of blocks to the Leaky Cauldron.
The Leaky Cauldron by Raven_Stag
Old Tom sat behind the bar of the Leaky Cauldron. It had been a long night, starting with that gang of goblins and continuing long into the wee hours of the morning with the two hags in the corner. He was ready to turn in. Just then, the door opened.

Tom sighed, not even looking up from his glass he said, “I’m sorry, sir we’re closed. Not even for the Minister himself would I stay open.”

“It’s very lucky then that I’m not the Minister himself, isn’t it Tom?”

Tom looked up, were his eyes deceiving him? “Mr. Potter, what a pleasant surprise.”

“Hello Tom. Its early I know, I was just woken by some one who insisted I meet her here. Do you mind if I wait?”

“Not all, not all, would you care for some milk, tea… perhaps a little brandy?”

“Some tea, please.”

“Certainly, sir.” Tom hurried off to the kitchen while Harry took a seat at a table. Not long after he’d done so, he heard a “pop!” from behind him.

“Hey Harry.” Harry turned in seat to look at his best friend. What he saw made his jaw drop. Hermione stood there in a full-length lavender ball gown, the gauzy material seemingly floating softly around her slim frame. Her hair glistened in the sparkling candle light of the pub and was twisted up in back, with lavender woven carefully into it. Gone was the girl of yesterday, here stood the woman of tomorrow.

“Hey, um…do you randomly wander around London in a ball gown a lot now, Hermione, or did you dress up just for me?”

She looked down at herself, “Ha, don’t flatter yourself Harry Potter. If you must know I just came from a ball””

“Naturally.”

“Given,” she said rather pointedly, “by our old friend Viktor Krum.”

“Out of curiosity, how’d you get invited to Krum’s ball?” Hermione looked rather uncomfortable.

“Ummm…”

“Hermione?”

“Well, it was sorta this thing to, kinda, well, enounce our…well…our””

“Spit it out.”

“Engagement.” It felt like some one had punched him in the stomach, completely winding him. Cold was spreading through his upper abdomen, his breathing was restricted. He hadn’t even seen it coming. True, just because he was probably going to be single his whole life didn’t mean Hermione was, still, he hadn’t been this shocked when Ron had enounced his engagement to Luna. Was it shock? Felt more like…no this was Hermione, his best friend…still.

Hermione shifted uncomfortably. She wished he’d stop looking at her like that, as if she’d just stuck a knife into his stomach. He must have guessed, must have known she wouldn’t wait forever for him to pull himself together and realize the obvious.

Tom walked in with a pot of tea and two cups. Quickly he assessed the situation and, upon seeing the look on Harry’s face, decided his was not a safe position to be in.

“I’ll be in the kitchen if you need any thing, Mr. Potter.” Hermione poured Harry a cup and shoved it into his hand. She watched to make sure he sipped it, then poured and sipped at her own.

She sat in the chair next to Harry and just waited. After five minutes of silence he spoke, “So why are you here and not with your fiancée?”

“That’s actually why I called. You see, just before our,” Harry cringed, “Ummm… new status was enounced, a Death Eater Apparated into the hall and”” She started sobbing. She had held off for too long. For the past two hours she had contacted any person she though might be able to help, not aided by the wailing of her future mother-in-law, and for both their sakes had managed to keep her composure. But now she sat staring into the emerald eyes of her last hope and she couldn’t help herself, she sobbed like the eight year old she felt like.

Harry continued to stare at her. Any dimwit, halfwit or no wit could have told him he should comfort her, but Harry was not just any dimwit, halfwit, or no wit, he was a very special one.

“Tom!”

“Yes, sir?”

“About that brandy?”

“Here.” Tom handed him a brown bottle and retreated once more to the kitchen. Harry poured Hermione another cup of tea, adding just a drop of brandy.

“Take this.” He said, placing the cup in her hand. She looked up at him. The tears had made her make up run, smudging eyeliner and foundation. He laughed; even in the worst circumstances, she was beautiful. He reached behind the bar and pulled out a tissue. She accepted it gratefully. “If I know you you’ve been up since 5:00 A.M. yesterday morning. Am I right?” She nodded. “I suggest you spend the night at my place, get a good nights sleep and tell me all about it in the morning. What do you say?”

“That sounds perfect. I feel like I’ve been thrown from a twenty-story building only to find myself surrounded by a group of red caps. I really should write Mrs. Krum though.”

“Hedwig can take your letter.”

“But where will I sleep?”

“In the bed, I’ll take the couch.”

“Alright, lead the way.” Hermione stood up and Harry had to catch her due to fact that her legs had suddenly gone on strike. “Ooops, thanks Harry.”

“No problem. I think I’ll do the Apparating, if you don’t mind.”

“Sounds good.” He put his arms around her waist and with a “pop”, they were gone.
Abduction by Raven_Stag
“Here we are,” Harry said unceremoniously, “Nothing special, but still home.” Hermione looked around at the red walls and leather couches, hard wood floors and dusky lighting.

“Wow, talk about a Bachelor Pad.” She smiled at him. “I’m guessing you don’t entertain many, ummm… female friends?”

“I don’t entertain many friends at all, male or female.” Hermione looked at him, but he stared straight a head.

Hermione decided to change the subject, “So, you want to show me the rest or what?” Harry took her on a tour, starting at the first door on the left, the kitchen, moving on to the bathroom and ending at the door on the wall opposite to where they had started.

“Oh the suspense is killing me,” said Hermione, “What’s behind door number three?” Harry laughed and opened the door. He motioned her in, and then followed behind. While Harry made an admiral attempt at finding the floor, Hermione walked passed the four-poster to get a better look.

“Ummm…Harry?” He looked up to find her holding the unopened package. He looked back down. “Why didn’t you open this?” He couldn’t meet her gaze. “That would explain a lot.” She sighed and changed the subject, “So, could I barrow some P.J.’s?”

“I don’t really wear P.J.’s,” he went over to the wardrobe and pulled out boxers and a t-shirt, “These work?”

“Fine. I’ll be in the bathroom.” She left and Harry found himself staring at the package yet again. He had hardly thought about it in three years, now in one night that was just about the only thing on his mind.

“Alright,” He muttered to himself, “Tomorrow.” To take his mind off it he grabbed an old Quidditch book and sat down on the bed.

****

“What are you reading?”

“Huh?” Harry had fallen a sleep.

“I said what are you reading?” Hermione stood in the door, her familiar bushy hair all over the place.

Harry looked at the book cover, “Champions of the 20th Century: An Inside Look at the Most Prominent Players of Our Time.” He smiled up at her, but she hardly noticed, she stood transfixed, staring at the cover. “Hermione, is everything ok?”

She pointed at the cover, “Viktor.” She burst into tears. It took Harry a moment to realize what was wrong. Looking at the cover, he saw Krum blinking back at him.

Harry cursed himself, how could he have been so stupid? He tossed the book under the bed and got up to comfort Hermione. Leading her back to the bed he said, “Why don’t you tell me what happened.” He handed her a box of tissues from the bedside table.

She blew her nose and started to tell her story. It was difficult in the beginning but soon the story came tumbling out. “We were at the ball and the Death Eater appeared. Viktor told him to leave but he just laughed. Viktor new about my former scrapes with the Death Eaters so he assumed they were after me, as did I. But instead of coming near me, the Death Eater threw something at Viktor. He caught it and disappeared, as did the Death Eater.”

“He just vanished?” asked Harry in disbelief.

“I guess whatever the Death Eater threw at him was a portkey.” She was still crying softly and Harry couldn’t help himself. He put his arms around her and pulled her close. Hermione relaxed in his arms and her crying soon stopped.

After a long space of time Harry pulled away, “You need to get some sleep. I’ll be on the couch.”

He got up to go but she stopped him, “Stay, please, I couldn’t possibly fall a sleep.” He looked into her pleading eyes and sighed. He sat down and soon they were talking about Hogwarts.

“Remember when you saved me from that troll?”

“Do I. And when Ron tried to curse Malfoy.”

“I wonder what happened to Malfoy?”

“Well he wasn’t coughing up slugs, oh you mean now? My bet is that he””

“Yes?”

“Ummm…dunno.” Harry had been about to say he thought Malfoy had abducted Krum, but he didn’t want to start the water works again. Changing the subject he said, “So what have you been up to?”

“Working for the Ministry. I’m the head of the Department for the Rights of Magical and Non-magical Creatures.”

Harry laughed, “And I suppose Dobby is your poster elf?”

“Of course,” said Hermione, with complete seriousness, “Who else? He actually works in the office with Lunna, Ginny and I. He loves it. What have you been doing?”

“I sorta entered into a partnership with Fred and George.”

“What happened to the Auror thing?”

“After Dumbledore…well…just didn’t fancy it anymore I guess.” Hermione looked into his eyes, there was still pain there.

She reached over and squeezed his hand. “Its ok. Forget I asked.” They lay in silence, holing hands and soon both fell a sleep.
For Always by Raven_Stag
For Always


“And what of the Mudblood?” a cold, cruel voice asked.

“She will be here within the next 24 hours,” replied a man with a drawling voice, “I guarantee it.”

“Good. Then it’s only a matter of time.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“You may go, and send Nagini in.”

“Yes, my lord.” The man smiled to himself as he left, it was only a matter of time, only a matter of time before the power held by that weak personage would be his, and he, as ruler of all, would not make the same stupid mistakes, he would not lose fights to babies only to have them become his worst enemy. No, he would do the job properly.

Lord Voldemort watched the man walk out from his chair in the middle of the room. He sneered, this would be traitor did not even have the brains to mask his thoughts in front of Lord Voldemort. He was of little threat. Still, he must be punished,

* * *


Harry woke to siring pain in his scar. Slowly it passed and he lay there catching his breath. Soon he became aware of someone lying next to him. This startled him a bit, even when there were together he and Ginny had never even shared a bed, so who was this? He looked over to find Hermione Granger fast a sleep and showing no signs of waking. He racked his brain, why were he and Hermione in the same bed, his bed? The events of the past night came back to him very slowly and he had a hard time believing he had not consumed any alcohol, yet that seemed to be the case, despite his apparent hang over.

As he lay there puzzling this out the word Nagini crossed his mind. Finding nothing to connect with it left, only to be replaced with Mudblood. This too went in and out, though it did sound as though it should ring a bell. Voldemort flashed in red letters before his eyes and he sat up so suddenly that he got dizzy. The dream came back so vididly he pinched himself to make sure he was awake.

“Ouch, crap!” He shook himself mentally and got out of bed. It was going to be a long day, he could feel it already. He looked down at Hermione and had to stop himself from leaning down to kiss her cheek. He headed out and at the doorway he looked back. He sighed, Kurm had her all to himself, the luck bugger.

* * *


Hermione woke to find herself alone. Quietly she made her way to the bathroom and then on to the kitchen where she found Harry cooking bacon and eggs.

“You can cook?” She was impressed, Viktor had never cooked for her. She reminded herself that he was in danger and needed her but she couldn’t help noticing how cute Harry looked when he was trying to take care of some one.

“Well, when you’re living on the Dudley Diet you tend to learn to fend for yourself.” He said with a rueful smile.

They ate breakfast in companionable silence, neither wanting to disturb the other’s thoughts. When they had finished Harry started to load the dishwasher and Hermione broke the silence.

“Ummm…Harry, I need some help.” He didn’t answer, nor did he look up from his task. “I need to go after Viktor, you know, like rescue him. Ummm…and I was wondering if you might…help?” She ended rather lamely and waited for a reply, she wasn’t all that sure how he’d take it.

For Harry time stopped, did she just ask what he thought she asked? “Sorry Hermione, it’s not my fight.”

“Not your fight,” her tone was icy, “Not your fight! Harry every fight against Voldemort is your fight!”

“Dumbledore said I would know when””

“Dumbledore’s last fight wasn’t his fight, it was yours!” Harry’s eyes flashed, she was on dangerous ground, but she continued regardless. “And where were you might I ask?”

“I” he said coldly, “Was saving your ungrateful life.” He said it calmly and softly, showing just how truly angry he was.

Hermione reared back as though she’d been slapped, “So you’re willing to just let my fiancée die at the hands of Lord Voldemort just because it’s not your fight or maybe you just don’t have the balls?”

“How would you know? You never bothered to check before you ran off to Krum. Never bothered to give us a chance!”

“US! Us! Harry there never was an us! You burned that bridge when you didn’t bother to open the damn package!”

Harry stood speechless while Hermione stomped off to the bedroom. She slammed the door, and then came back out, holding her ball dress and slammed the door again, just for kicks. She stormed to the front door and wrenched it open.

“Where are you going!?”

“To get Vicky!” she screamed as she stormed out.

“In my Irish boxers?” Harry yelled back. She glared at him and slammed the door in his face. He heard a “pop” from behind the door and knew she was gone.

* * *


Harry stared down at the package. What the hell was with this package? Because of “it” Hermione had stormed out. A little voice of reason in his head told him that the package was the least of the reasons why she’d left, but he didn’t feel like being reasonable.

He picked it up as though “it” was a bomb. He held it at arms length and shook it. He thought he heard a metallic clink but he couldn’t be sure. He brought it closer and shook it again, this time it rattled. He sighed, three, no four years he’d been avoiding this moment and now there was nowhere to run. He broke the tape on one end of the package. Taking off the paper, he found another layer of wrapping. He continued to take this off and found…even more wrapping paper.

“For god sake Hermione, give me the Fort Knox of presents why don’t you?” he mumbled to himself.

A voice form inside his head said, “First sign of insanity, talking to your self.” It sounded oddly like Hermione.

“Oh shut up!”

“There you go again.” He didn’t bother to answer. Harry went through five more layers of paper before he got to a box. It was white with a symbol of the cresent moon on the front. He lifted the cover to reveal a golden chain. Dangling from the chain was a golden ring. Holding the ring between his fingers, he saw words engraved along the band. He recognized them as French:

Pour Toujours
For always. For always. For always…until Krum.
Tea At the Weasley's by Raven_Stag
Luna Weasley, formerly Lovegood, sat at her desk in the front parlor. The room was fairly comfortable, carpeted in a creamy yellow that matched the walls. The drapes that hung at the full-length windows were light sky blue and rustled slightly with the breeze. The sofa and chairs sported a floral print and everything about the room suggested a cozy country cottage.

Luna, in her baggy jeans and t-shirt, seemed completely oblivious to her surroundings. Her hair was swept up in a clip with her wand sticking out of the whole ensemble at an awkward angle, from time to time a piece of hair would fall out and she would quickly brush it back behind her ear.

Presently she rose and began to pace. “Those jerks in accounting!” she fumed to herself, “Just because the idiots don’t agree with our aims does not give them the right to completely disregard our request for the funding of the next pamphlet. But just wait, we’ll get our due!” Luna smiled to herself, she couldn’t wait to see Hermione get on their ass, she had a knack of always getting the necessary funding, if not more. They wouldn’t know what hit them.

“Pop.” Luna looked up to see Harry Potter lounging on her sofa. They greeted each other. She had quite quickly become accustomed to Harry’s random and usually unexplained visits. She went to the doorway and yelled out “Ron, he’s here!”

From the hallway they heard a loud crash and a series of yelps. It sounded to Harry as though Ron had fallen down the stairs. Luna just rolled her eyes in an exasperated manor; he never seemed to take into account that there was still six months to go before the baby would be born.

Ron ran into the room, panting and heaving a large suitcase. He grabbed her arm and attempted to continue running, but Luna held her ground and pulled him to a stop. “Harry is here, Ron, not the baby, honestly.”

“Oh,” said Ron, rather embarrassed, “Ummm…’ello Harry.”

Harry had a hard time suppressing a grin, “Hello. Eager to be a father then, mate?”

“Don’t get me started.” Said Luna, “All he talks about. Oh, while you’re here Harry, we were wondering if you’d mind if we named him Sirius?”

“You might as well, doesn’t look like I’ll be having kids.”

“Oh, you never know.” Said Ron, “How ‘bout Hermione?” Luna looked like she’d love to hit him over the head with a bookend but managed to restrain herself. Ron could be so pig headed sometimes.

“Krum.” In one word Harry managed to suck all the warmth from the room.

“The b”” Ron started but was cut off by a “pop” as Ginny Apparated next to him.

Advancing on Harry she said “Don’t suppose you could explain why my roommate arrived this morning, in tears, wearing boxers and left as soon as she’d changed?!”

“You didn’t let her go?” Harry asked anxiously.

“It wasn’t like I was going to physically stop her!”

“What is going on?” Interjected Ron and Luna at the same. Immediately Harry and Ginny began talking at once, Ginny pointing threateningly at Harry.

“Quiet!” shouted Luna. Harry and Ginny fell silent. “Sit!” Everyone sat, “Harry why don’t you begin. I’m going to make some tea.”

She left and Harry began his tale, starting with the phone call and up to their fight. He didn’t not tell them about the ring, which happened to be hanging around his neck, covered by his shirt.

Luna came in with the tea and Ginny began her narrative. “I was working on the proposal for hypogriph rehabilitation, you know the one L?” Luna nodded and Ginny continued, “Well it was around noon and Mione hadn’t come in yet. Suddenly she Apparated right in front of me, wearing boxers.” Here she gave Harry a look, “Tears were streaming down her face and she stormed off to her room. She came back out dressed, grabbed her wand and before I could ask what was wrong she’d Disapparated.”

“Did she say where she was going?” asked Luna.

“Did she have to?” burst out Harry “Isn’t obvious she’s gone after Krum!”

“So” said Ron, “That means””

“That means if she gets hurt it’s all my bloody fault.” Interrupted Harry, getting up and heading for the door.

“Harry wait!”

“Shouldn’t we go to McGonagall?”

“Don’t be so rash!”

At this last statement Harry turned, his anger now in full swing. “Don’t be rash! Don’t be rash!” His voice squeaked. “Is it rash to save the woman you love?! Is it?”

“Love?” said three very shocked voices but he didn’t hear them, he’d already Disapparated.
Betrayal by Raven_Stag
A/N: Thanks everyone for your patience and support. Also, this story was writen way before HBP came out...so yeah.

“Lumos.” Hermione Granger found herself in a dank and dusty hallway. The floor was covered in an inch of dust, which revealed footprints and curiously enough hoof prints. On the cold stonewalls hung many moth eaten tapestries, a monument to past days when this manor was at the height of its splendor.

“Viktor where are you?” she muttered to herself and seemed as though she broken an age-old silence, the words floating away down the hall. She thought she heard something from behind and turned to peer into the gloom. From the darkness in front of her wand she heard a hiss. She recalled from conversations with Harry Voldemort’s resident reptile and extinguished her wand.

She looked around in the dark, felling with her hands for some door way or opening in the wall. Somehow, she didn’t think she’d like to be there when the snake came around the corner. Her hand fell on a tapestry and instead of hitting the wall behind it, it went right through. Not wasting time to figure this out she pulled back the tapestry and stepped into the opening.

It was just in time, for just as she pulled back the tapestry so that it covered where she hid, Nagini slithered passed. “Silly mudblood,” thought the snake to herself, “If my orders were to eat you, you would be dead and not wandering the corridors of my master’s domain.”

But Hermione, not being able to understand, thought it had been a narrow escape. Once the snake had passed, she lighted her wand and turned to look at the niche in which she’d sought refuge. To her surprise, it continued well beyond her wand’s beam. Moving along the passageway, she came to the end. Drawing back the tapestry she saw the one thing she’d hoped to see.

“Viktor!” She rushed out of the passage way and into Krum’s waiting arms. Grabbing his arm she attempted to drag him toward the door, “Come on! We’ve got to get out of here.”

But Krum stood his ground, “Sorry Mione, your not going any where, not till Potter comes any way.”

“What? What are you talking about? Harry’s not coming! We have to get out of here. Come on!” Again she pulled him toward the door and again he stopped her. “Why aren’t you coming, we’re in danger!”

“No Mione,” he said calmly, “Your in danger, I’m not.” He smirked down at her, but Hermione was still confused.

“What”” But she was stifled by rough hands covering her mouth. Two more hands grabbed her wrists and comprehension dawned on her. She’d been betrayed, by her own fiancée. Hermione chomped down hard on the hand covering her mouth. Its owner gave a yelp and allowed her just enough time to spit out “Bastard.”

*****

Krum watched them drag her off and smiled to himself.

“Crucio,” said a cold cruel voice from behind him and he fell writhing to the floor. “You know Krum, you were wrong when you said you were not in danger, quite wrong.” Death eaters entered and took hold of him. “Take him to the grave yard. You know what to do from then on.”

“Yes m’Lord.”

Lord Voldemort stood watching as they bore Krum away. Today was the day he’d settle all scores!
The Graveyard by Raven_Stag
A/N: this is why the last one was so short :manic laughter:: This one is for is for everyone who has reveiwed, particularly dreaming and who ever emailed me yesterday...

For the second time in his life Harry Potter found himself in the graveyard below the manor on the hill. He arrived on the edge of the graveyard, just as night was falling. From somewhere in front of him he heard voices. Creeping up, hiding behind headstones, he saw the following scene unfold.

Four Death Eaters stood towering over a crumpled figure. Harry craned his neck in an attempt to see who, but the Death Eaters were too closely packed. While two kept their wands on the person on the ground, the other two watched the Manor with trepidation, as though waiting for some signal.

Finally one of them broke the silence “Why are we waiting? Let’s just get this over with.”

“Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do and die.” Said what seemed to be the Death Eater in charge.

“And you ain’t just whistling Dixie,” muttered the Death Eater under his breath.

“Watch it…you don’t want Him to hear you say that.” They fell into silence, continuing to watch and guard. From a top floor window a light shone bright green in the dark. “Right, there we are. Keep your wands on ‘im men.” They shifted, revealing to Harry the identity of their ward. Harry reeled back in surprise, it was Krum! “Right, you little slimy Bulgarian git, its time to see what you’re made of, Nagini, he’s yours.”

Form the shadows beyond their wand light slithered the great serpent herself. Slowly she circled him, hissing softly, Krum, who had been lying on the ground, scrambled to his feet. He was unarmed, having been relieved of his wand earlier, and Harry could tell it was going to be a short fight.

As Krum watched the snake circle closer and closer Harry fought his own inner battle. How much easier it would be, he thought to himself, with Krum out of the way. He could have Hermione all to himself. Yet he couldn’t help but wondering how’d he feel, knowing she wasn’t actually his. That he was responsible for the death of her fiancée. And what if she asked him if he could have done anything? How could he face her, straight faced and lie out right that there was nothing he could have done. No, he had to intervene, if for nothing else then for his love for Hermione.

“Stubefy!” Harry cried out pointing his wand at Nagini. The snake stopped in her tracks, just as she was about strike Krum with her fangs. The Death Eaters turned to stare at Harry, mouths wide open. “Get out of it!” He yelled to Krum as he strode up to deal with the snake.

Krum backed off and Harry stooped and revived the snake. Holding her at bay with his wand he looked at her for a long moment. “Why’d you take up with him?”

“That’s none of your business, Potter.”

“Amuse me.” Said Harry. “Remember I’m the one with the wand.”

“And remember that you’re talking to two poisonous fangs. But I might as well tell you. It’s very simple really; he was my ticket to freedom. Before he showed up and offered me a position I’d been captive at the London zoo for several years. Surly you can understand the lengths I’d go to be free of that cage.”

Harry looked into the serpents eyes and nodded, “Yes, I can. But the fact of the matter is you’re no more free today then you were at the zoo.”

“True,” said the snake, full of remorse. “But what choice have I?”

“If you like,” said Harry, “I could send you to number 12 Grimmauld Place, there’s a lovely little garden out front, or perhaps you like the forbidden forest better?”

“Please.” Harry rose and did a rather complicated flick of his wand. As soon as Nagini disappeared he turned to face Krum.

“So… where’s Hermione?”

“Over there.” Said Krum, and pointed to a large tombstone, carved ornately with angles and engraved with the words:

Elena Slytherin
1816-1837
May her fall from grace prove warning to all
Who seek answers to life’s Mysteries:
You may receive them.
Daughter Genius Friend
May she rest in peace.


Underneath laid Hermione Granger. Harry could feel his heart sink as he ran towards her crumbled form, was she alive? Harry wasn’t to find out.

*****


Harry woke to a splintering headache. Opening his eyes he saw a fire burning about 20 yards away. In an attempt to rub his forehead he discovered that his hands were tied tight against his sides. Turning his head he realized that, yet again, he’d been tied to the tombstone marked Tom Riddle. He sighed to himself, why was it that he couldn’t seem to visit this spot with out getting himself affixed to this particular tombstone?

“Ah. This is familiar, isn’t it Harry?” said a voice that Harry had hoped he’d never have to hear again. “I suspect you’re wondering how you came to once again grace my father’s tombstone. Well perhaps there is one who could tell the tale even better than Lord Voldemort, one who’s loyalty I doubted till he delivered you right into my hands. Step forward.” From the shadows beyond the fire stepped Krum, as big as life and twice as unexpected. Realization dawned on Harry and his eyes blazed with cold fire. Seeing this Voldemort smiled, “I see you know each other.” Turning to Krum he said, “Perhaps you like to tell Mr. Potter how he came to be here?” Krum shook his head; he couldn’t face Harry’s frigid eyes, or his raw temper. “No? Well I suppose I could do the honors, if you’re quite sure?”

Krum nodded again. “Oh sure!” Burst forth Harry, “You can betray your fiancée, have her murdered in cold blood, but you don’t have the balls to tell her best friend why!”

“Well, well, we are feisty to day,” said Voldemort smoothly. He motioned to two Death Eaters, who took the hint and gagged Harry. “Now, then, why is a very simple matter, is it not?” the question was directed at Krum who nodded, “I told him to. The real story lies in the way in which it was carried out.”

Voldemort paused, savoring the moment. Harry was reminded of the time six years ago when Voldemort had told his tale to a crowd of Death Eaters, thoroughly enjoying the lime light. Harry concluded that he was extremely egotistical. Harry’s thoughts were broken by Voldemort taking up his story again, “I came up with my plan about two years ago. After I had defeated that fool Dumbledore the year before I knew my path to Harry Potter was clearer than ever before. Still, I needed the help of some one close to him. This left me with but two options, Mr. Ronald Weasley and Miss. Hermione Granger. Knowing neither would help me willingly I had to devise a way to get to one of them.

“Here is where Viktor Krum came in. I knew from my sources that Krum and Granger had been to a ball together. I knew also that being from Durmstrag he would be loyal to the cause. A little over a year ago Krum began his seduction of Miss. Granger. Last night, at the ball that would enounce their engagement, I arranged for him to be “abducted.” Here he did the quotations with his fingers, “Just as I suspected she would, Miss. Granger ran off to Harry Potter. And just as I expected he would, he refused to help here, out of jealousy. Even if he had agreed the outcome would have been the same, ultimately he and Miss. Granger arrived.

“Upon Mr. Potter’s arrival he was stunned by Krum and place in the position you see him now.” This seemed like the end of the long narrative but Voldemort continued on, “However, you were wrong when you said Miss. Granger was dead, Harry, but not for long.” He smirked and pointed in her direction with his wand, “Crucio.”

For Harry time stopped as he watched in horror as the spell traveled toward Hermione. He struggled against his bonds but the refused to give way. The curse hit her and she quivered but emitted no sound. Suddenly Harry found his hands free. Looking behind him he saw Peter Pettigrew stowing a knife back in his robes. He muttered something that sounded like, “There, my debt is paid.” and turned away.

Harry turned his attention back to Voldemort, who had yet to realize his new freedom. Voldemort was laughing like a mad man, “Are you enjoying this as much as I, Harry?” He didn’t even glance in Harry’s direction. Harry was watching Hermione with concern. She looked no worse for wear, lying in the same spot, but Harry couldn’t be sure from this distance. Voldemort broke through his thoughts, “Now, Harry, you get to watch her die, just as you watched your mother, father, Black, Digory and Dumbledore die! Avada Kedavra.” He flicked his wand lazily, as though this didn’t matter, as though Hermione didn’t matter.

Harry found himself on his feet and running, attempting to out run death, Voldemort’s wild laughter following after him. While his Quidditch days had since passed, he still managed to catch up with the speeding green light. Now matched in pace, the two sped on. Eight feet to go, seven, six, five, Harry could feel his feet slowing ever so slightly, four, three, two, one…
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5561