On My Own by Chili Pepper
Summary: He is the face of his family, the heir to their House, the handsome, intelligent boy who is seen and never heard.
But only on the outside.
Sirius Black ran away from home when he was sixteen. Songfic.

Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1004 Read: 1769 Published: 08/03/06 Updated: 08/08/06

1. On My Own by Chili Pepper

On My Own by Chili Pepper
Author's Notes:
My first fanfic, please review! Thanks to MsKrum for beta-ing and for spotting a canon mistake.
Disclaimer: I do not own the world of Harry Potter, that’s J.K. Rowling, nor do I own the song “On My Own” by Hedley.

On My Own

---o0( )0o---

Stayed awake all night toss and turnin’
now my blood shot eyes are burnin'
workin' out why this ain't workin'
fight after fight after fight
and now it's killin' me

---o0( )0o---

Sirius’ arms break out in angry red welts like a lash from a whip. It is his Mother’s favorite spell; he and his brother bear the marks of many, some for when they misbehaved as kids, Sirius for being a Gryffindor, both for too many detentions at school. A few from when the insane and sadistic woman was bored. Sirius had sometimes taken double so Regulus wouldn’t have to. But Sirius can handle pain. What he can’t handle is that this is his Mother, his family. The wand flashes red again…

---o0( )0o---

you were too busy to believe in
all the run away dreams I was dreamin'
time to pack up and go I’m leavin'
fight after fight after fight

--o0( )0o--

So many times he had dreamed of leaving, to get away from the torture that was his home. The house was huge, regal, finely furnished and impeccably clean. The protective wards and spells his paranoid Father placed on every inch of the building made it impossible to leave or enter without Orion Black wishing it so. It was like Azkaban, the insane screams of his Mother and cousin mimicking that of the prisoners, Kreacher patrolling the hallways, his Father the warden.

---o0( )0o---

and now I gotta be
on my own
and living in a world alone
gets better every day
that I don't have to say I’m sorry I’m coming home
I’m gonna make it on my own
I’ll always take the harder road
gets better every day
that I don't have to say I’m sorry I’m coming home

--o0( )0o--

Sirius Black was sixteen now, he was no longer that little boy who cried every night for a real family and helped his little brother soundproof his room. He had found real family in the Marauders and Lily, Regulus could charm his own room. Hogwarts was his home now; he could no longer see reason to come back to Grimmauld place for the summer. What was there to be gained by returning? A silent conversation between people who could not stand the sight of each other, sleepless nights, and disembodied house elves that seemed to follow you with sightless eyes.

---o0( )0o---

how’d you end up oh so jaded?
cynical and so sedated
can’t live in this world you created
day after day after day

--o0( )0o--

“Where are you going?” Regulus asks, it’s three in the morning, everyone’s asleep except them. Sirius is dressed in Muggle clothes, his father’s wand in one hand and the other on the handle of his packed truck, his broomstick tucked under his arm.

“I’m leaving. See you at school.” Sirius turns to leave.

“Why?” His brother asks.

“Because if you haven’t noticed we’re in the middle of a war, and our parents are defiantly on the
wrong side. I hate them and they hate me, I’ve had enough. Goodbye.” Sirius turns and this time doesn’t look back. He doesn’t see the hurt in Regulus’ eyes. He disables the wards with his father’s wand and leaves.

---o0( )0o---

and now I gotta be
on my own
and living in a world alone
gets better every day
that I don't have to say I'm sorry I'm coming home
I'm gonna make it on my own
I'll always take the harder road
gets better every day
that I don't have to say I'm sorry I’m coming home

---o0( )0o--

He was disowned that night. And although Sirius didn’t care about that, he did care that in that moment months something changed between him and his brother. Regulus was mad at him for leaving the house they both hated, the house he would never have the courage to leave. And it was his brother leaving that pushed Reg over the edge to join the Death Eaters.

---o0( )0o---

you will always be the lonely one
you will always try to swallow the sun
just remember you could never make it rain on everyone

---o0( )0o--

Sirius flies through the wet dark night, deciding where to go. If he flew all night he’d end up at Godric’s Hollow by morning. Yes, the Potter’s would take him in; he had been there for Christmas before. But Sirius wasn’t about to be a freeloader, he would stay with James for the rest of the summer. He would get his inheritance from Uncle Alphard late that spring, when he turned seventeen. Then he’d get his own place. Satisfied with his plan, Sirius bends farther over his broom, and turns in the right direction. He is cold and wet, but unbelievably happy. He is free.

Not as if the freedom lasted long, twenty-one year old Sirius Black mused, sitting in dull, grey cell in Azkaban.

Sirius is in a tropical region, on the run from the law. A stolen Hippogriff is eating some unidentifiable rodent beside him. The hot sun is blaring down, the water sparkling like jewels, as far from Azkaban as he could possibly be.

He’d escaped prison twice.

---o0( )0o--

on my own
and living in a world alone
gets better every day
that I don't have to say I’m sorry I’m coming home
I’m gonna make it on my own
I’ll always take the harder road
gets better every day
that I don't have to say I’m sorry I’m coming home
I’ll make it on my own
I’m sorry I won't be coming home

---o0( )0o---

Fin.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=55681