A Blue Marriage by FeatherTrader
Summary: Nothing warms the soul like two people getting married. Of course when the Marauders are involved, things might get a little chaotic. But the best man kissing the bride isn't that big of a deal. . . or is it?



This is Challenge One:Summer Weddings. I am Sour.Apple. from the Beta boards and a proud member of Slytherin.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1848 Read: 2075 Published: 08/12/06 Updated: 08/18/06

1. One-shot by FeatherTrader

One-shot by FeatherTrader
Author's Notes:
Thank you to my Beta, Suzie.
"This isn't very fair, Prongs," stated Sirius Black in a fake whiny voice. "If Lily gets a Bachelorette party, than we should be able to have a Bachelor party."

The four former Gryffindor boys sat around a small table in a pub in Hogsmeade. None of them were heavy drinkers, but seeing as it was James Potter's last night as being single, they didn't see what was wrong with having at least a little bit of fun.

"We've been over this, Padfoot-"

"At least four times," added Peter Pettigrew.

"I'd wager six," countered Remus Lupin sarcastically.

"-Lily doesn't want us -mainly you- doing anything stupid before the wedding," finished James with a joking laugh and a timid sigh.

"Nervous?" questioned Remus sympathetically.

"Excited, actually," responded James as he flashed his closest friends a mischievous grin.

"How much of a nervous wreck is Lily?" questioned Peter who, along with the rest of the group, was trying to ignore the persistent muttering of a drunk Sirius.

"I'm still debating whether or not I want to go home tonight," joking stated James, as he took a long sip from his Firewhiskey. "She made me try on my suit at least four times today.

"We met with the Ministry official today. He seems friendly enough. I think he said his name was Adam Kerr," continued James, searching for a conversation that didn't focus on exploring his or his fiance's current emotions.

"Is he related to that girl who was in fifth-year when we graduated?" questioned Remus curiously.

"Emily Kerr?" provided Peter.

"Dunno...I barely said two words to him. Actually, I think it might have been three; 'I'm the groom.' Lily took over the rest."

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!


“This is a death wish,” whispered Remus Lupin out of the corner of his mouth, so the assembled witches and wizards wouldn’t notice that the groomsmen were talking.

“No, Sirius kissing Lily is a death wish, me kissing Petunia. . . I’ll just tell Lily that it’s Sirius’ fault,” responded James Potter as the bridesmaids slowly began descending down the aisle.

“Remind us again why you want to ruin your own wedding?” questioned Peter Pettigrew sarcastically from Remus’ side.

“He’s not ruining the wedding, Wormtail, he’s simply adding something. . . interesting to it. And anyway, Prongs never backs down from a dare,” stated Sirius Black.

“Interesting as in his death, or interesting as in kissing his soon-to-be wife’s sister?” inquired Remus sarcastically.

“Both,” retorted Sirius, fighting to withhold a grin. Obviously the answer wasn’t what Remus had expected.

As the maid-of-honour, Jessica Ballette, took her position next to Petunia Evans she arched her eyebrows in curiosity towards the groomsmen. Each of the Marauders missed her look of speculation as they were too busy not making eye contact with any specific person. They were aware that if they did, they wouldn’t be able to retain from bursting out into laughter.

As the entire congregation stood and looked towards the door where the bride was to emerge expectantly, the wedding march began to play.

Lily Evans -soon-to-be Potter- walked down the aisle slowly on her fathers arm, taking small steps so her simple gown could be seen in all of its glory. The dress sparkled and shimmered in a way that only magic could make a gown glow. The wedding dress’ cut was simple, and the beads were also sparse.

James Potter's fiancé continued down the aisle with an excited smile, having no idea what awaited her at the end of the short walk.

Without sharing another word of their plan, the pair of boys jumped out at the Evans sisters. James at least had the sense to hug his sister-in-law and then playfully connect his lips with Petunia's cheek, before returning to his place at the alter.

If the occurrence had happened at any other location save for her wedding, Lily would have hit Sirius over the head with her shoe, continuously. Yet, considering Sirius had just snogged her in front of her closest family and friends, she was more than slightly embarrassed.

With speed gathered from the look Sirius received from Lily’s face, he quickly withdrew to his place behind James.

Silence seemed to fill the congregation, as everyone stared wide-eyed at the best man and groom.

“They. . . wanted to show their excitement?” tried Peter, trying to ease away the awkward silence. Gradually, the ceremony continued.

Clearing his throat, the official sent by the Ministry, Adam Kerr, began the ceremony in a traditional Muggle fashion, honouring the bride’s requests.

“We are gathered here today in the face of this company, to join together James Potter and Lily Evans in matrimony; which is an honourable and solemn estate and therefore is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently and soberly. Into this estate these two persons present come now to be joined. If anyone can show just cause why they may not be lawfully joined together, let them speak now or forever hold their peace. Who gives this woman to be married to this man?”

The church gathering was silent, waiting for any to dare object to the couple’s marriage.

“I do,” responded Lily’s father fondly. As the elderly man connected his daughter and son-in-law’s hands in a loose grasp, blue sparks flew into the air, startling the Muggle father considerably. The gathered guests (which consisted mostly of witches and wizards save for Lily’s immediate family members) applauded cheerfully as the ceremony continued.

“James Potter, do you take Lily Evans for your lawful wedded wife, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love, honour, comfort, and cherish her from this day forward, forsaking all others, keeping only unto her for as long as you both shall live?”

James stood solemnly, holding both of Lily’s hands and not removing his gaze from her eyes. “I do.” Sparks of a similar hue flew upward, arousing a soft blue dust to fall onto their bodies. Yet the blue dust left no visible mark on the pair’s clothing.

From behind the maid-of-honour Petunia Evans squealed childishly, looking as if she was about to drop to the floor to hide from the blue pixie dust.

“Lily Evans, do you take James Potter for your lawful wedded husband, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love, honour, comfort, and cherish him from this day forward, forsaking all others, keeping only unto him for as long as you both shall live?”

“I do,” the bride spoke without hesitation. Again, the electric blue paraded overtop of their head momentarily, before disappearing from their clothing.

“ I, James Potter, take thee, Lily Evans, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honour, and cherish, 'til death do us part, and thereto I plight thee my troth,” recited James eagerly when requested by the Ministry official.

“And I, Lily Evans, take thee, James Potter, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honour, and cherish, 'til death do us part, and thereto I plight thee my troth.” Cautious not to smear her carefully applied makeup, Lily hesitantly wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Now, may the best man hand the ring to the groom?” questioned Adam, looking up briefly from his outlined notes.

The church was silent as everyone waited for Sirius to hand the ring over. He seemed not to notice all the eyes on him as he walked slowly in front of the couple, his back towards the crowd.

James held out his hand with his palm up, expecting the gold ring to be handed over wordlessly. Instead, Sirius slapped his best mate's hand giving him a 'low five', recieving a death glare from Lily.

“You’re lucky,” he spoke simply, not directing it to either in particular before handing the single diamond ring over to James.

The ring was practical, with a small sized diamond as the centrepiece and a white gold band. It wasn’t anything extravagant, but it certainly showed its purpose.

“May this ring be blessed so he who gives it and she who wears it may abide in peace, and continue in love until life's end.”

“Forever is my love,” spoke James sincerely, his wand hovering several inches above the ring in the palm on his hand. From the tip of his wand, a translucent blue liquid poured onto the band of the ring, engraving the words into the gold. The ring glimmered blue briefly, before the ring returned to its normal colour.

“With this ring I thee wed. Wear it as a symbol of our love and commitment,” stated James firmly as he slid the ring onto Lily’s left hand. The hand that was closest to her heart.

“May this ring be blessed so that she who gives it and he who wears it may abide in peace, and continue in love until life's end.” Adam glanced upward as the blue sparks continued to fly, increasing in volume with each vow and promise spoken.

In the same motions James had previously made, Lily held the ring loosely between her fingertips. The blue liquid also poured from her wand as she spoke, “Forever may I cherish you.”

“With this ring I thee wed. Wear it as a symbol of our love and commitment.” Lily grinned slightly as she slid the matching white gold band onto James’ left hand.

“May this couple be prepared to continue to give, be able to forgive and experience more and more joy with each passing day, with each passing year. James Potter and Lily Evans Potter are now beginning their married life together, we hope that they may have loving assistance from their family, the constant support of friends, and a long life with good health and everlasting love. In so much as James Potter and Lily Evans Potter have consented to live forever together in wedlock, and have witnessed the same before this company, having given and pledged their troth, each to the other, and having declared same by the giving and receiving of a ring, I pronounce that they are husband and wife.” At the official’s words, the church rained blue dust and sparks, as the newlyweds grinned cheerfully.

“You may now seal the promises you-” Adam hesitated as he watched James take the initiative and leap onto his new wife, while the groomsmen cheered and laughed hysterically.

“- have made to each other with a kiss.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the loving couple Mr. and Mrs. Potter.”

Once the wedding party managed to escape the steady flow of congratulating guests, the bride looked expectantly towards James and Sirius.

“It was his idea!” exclaimed both automatically through lopsided grins, pointing towards eachother accusingly.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56147