Are You Brave Enough? by guiding ray of sunlight
Summary: When the Hogwarts Express is attacked Harry decides it's time to go now, alone.

A song-fic submittion to the Gryffindor July Challenge- A Banner For Thee.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 982 Read: 1364 Published: 08/20/06 Updated: 08/27/06

1. Are You Brave Enough? by guiding ray of sunlight

Are You Brave Enough? by guiding ray of sunlight
The lyrics are property of the writers of the Lion King Broadway play, and the Harry Potter Universe belongs to Jo Rowling.

Thanks to Oppugo for BETAing this for me.


Are You Brave Enough


Shadowland
The leaves have fallen
This shadowed land
This was our home


Harry looked around at the surrounding wreckage. It had all happened so fast. The rail in front of the Hogwarts Express had blown, forcing the great train to stop. And then they came. The Death Eaters. They entered the train and began killing students. The students, Professors and Aurors had fought back, forcing the Death Eaters away, but there had been casualties. Too many casualties. Fifty students had been killed. Harry looked around at the remainders of the train again. Without knowing it, Harry had loved the train. It had always led him away from the Dursleys to his real home, Hogwarts. And now it was gone, along with fifty brave students and any hope of Hogwarts re-opening.

The river's dry
The ground has broken
So I must go
Now I must go


Hogwarts would not re-open, so all of Harry's second thoughts about not going back for a seventh year vanished. He knew where he had to go, and that he had to leave now. The train of students would not have been targeted by Voldemort if it were not obvious that it would hurt Harry. He could not endanger anyone else. He had left Ginny for that reason, so now he would have to leave Hogwarts behind too.

And where the journey may lead me
Let your prayers be my guide
I cannot stay here, my family
But I'll remember my pride


Harry heard footsteps walk up behind him. He turned to see Ron and Hermione standing there. "I'm leaving now," Harry told them quietly.

"We know, we're ready to go," Hermione replied, pointing at their trunks.

Harry shook his head. "Not yet. You have to go to Bill and Fleur's wedding. If I go, there is more chance of it being targeted. I can't have that happen," Harry said. Hermione opened her mouth to object but Harry beat her to it. "No, Hermione. You go. Maybe Voldemort will think I don't care about you anymore. He doesn't understand what it's like to love someone." He turned to Ron. "Tell your Mum what I told you, tell her that I love her, and really wanted to be at the wedding, but I can't afford to have anyone else hurt."

Harry took a deep breath. "If you still want to join me after the wedding. You know where I'll wait for you, the day after the wedding." Ron had a puzzled look on his face, but Hermione nodded. Ginny, Tonks and Lupin walked over. Harry realized how much the Order was like a pride of lions. All brave, all willing to give their lives for everyone else. But when the young grew up, they had to leave, and go their own ways. But he still needed their guidance and approval. He still needed that.

"We'll be there," Hermione said, knowing that Ron would agree with her.

Prideland, I have no choice
My land. I will find my way.
Tear-stained,
Dry land.
Take this, Take this prayer
With you. What lies out there.


Harry looked around at the group around him, he was already holding his Firebolt in his hand, and his trunk was tied to its end. He saw the tears in Ginny's eyes, and knew how she felt. But he knew could not stay with her. He couldn't put the love of his life in danger. He took another deep breath and looked at them all again. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. You all know it, I'm sure you do. Please don't hate me for leaving." The last sentence was aimed at Ginny. He quickly turned to Ron and Hermione. "The day after the wedding," he said, before he jumped on his broom and flew away.

And where the journey may lead you
Let this prayer be your guide
Though it may take you so far away
Always remember your pride.


As he watched Harry fly away, Remus Lupin filled with pride. Harry had grown up, and was ready to face dangers on his own. He was sure Lily and James were smiling from where they watched him. Watch over him he thought, though he knew it was unnecessary. James had always looked over those he loved, and so had Lily. Lily and James had given their lives to save Harry, and now that they had nothing to lose, he knew they were watching him intently, full of pride. Be safe, he thought to Harry. Don't forget the guidance you were given, let it lead you to victory against Voldemort.

And where the journey may lead you
Let this prayer be your guide
Though it may take you so far away
Always remember your pride.


Hermione watched as Harry became smaller and smaller. Be strong, Harry, she silently prayed. We'll be with you soon enough. I'll be present at the wedding for both me and you, she thought.

And where the journey may lead you
Let this prayer be your guide.


As Ron saw Harry vanish, he suddenly felt alone. Harry had always been there. Suddenly he felt someone take his hand. He looked down to see Hermione. He smiled, and looked back at the spot where Harry had vanished. Be careful, Harry, Ron thought. You can't know who is and who isn't a servant of You-Know-Who. Watch your back til we'll be there to watch out for you.

Though it may take you so far away.

Ginny tore her eyes from the spot where Harry had disappeared. She now had tears running down her cheeks. Harry, she called out to him silently. Don't forget us. Don't forget me. I love you.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56536