Something Olde and Something New by anAnachronism
Summary: A perfect Pureblood wedding leads to a disastrous wedding night as Eugenia Zabini discovers truths about her fourth husband's past that she cannot tolerate.







Written for August '06 Wedding Challenge (#01). I am a member of cunning Slytherin House.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1809 Read: 1503 Published: 08/23/06 Updated: 08/25/06

1. One Shot by anAnachronism

One Shot by anAnachronism
Author's Notes:
Sadly, anything you recognize does not belong to me.
Something Olde and Something New


In fifteen minutes, she would be walking down the aisle. Most brides would have been a bundle of nerves at that moment.

Then again, Eugenia Zabini was not most brides.

This was her fourth marriage now. Just beyond the woods surrounding the sacred clearing, dozens of eager gossip columnists sat with quills poised. They were waiting for a glimpse of the new couple, a simple gesture that might explain the plight of her three previous husbands.

Eugenia smiled to herself; she could almost see the headlines now. Some would read a positive Happiness At Last For Thrice-Widowed Beauty? while nastier ones would bear The Next Victim?. There would be speculations of love potions, snide comments about her previous husbands’ fates, and theories for the speedy nuptials.

It had been a whirlwind romance. Less than a month ago, Archibald Morris had been on her doorstep with a list full of questions about her recently deceased husband. The Ministry of Magic had elected him to investigate any suspicious circumstances surrounding her spouses’ demises.

It had been his charming smile, so open and generous that attracted her at first. Her previous partners had all been severe men. Archie was thoughtful and considerate. If pouring wine, he would hand her a glass first. He’d been so gentle with little Blaise, a marvel in itself as Eugenia didn’t see much of interest in the introverted child.

His delightful mannerisms would have led to naught had Eugenia not bribed the Gringotts goblins to show her his bank account. The amount of wealth he had amassed, it was enough to make her dizzy. She then actively pursued him; dropping hints left and right. She played the part of unloved widow and paraded Blaise around as a fatherless child. And of course, her Enticement Charms had been of great use as well.

Her endeavors had succeeded, as they always did. Now they were to be married. Eugenia calmly surveyed herself in the full-length mirror erected in her champagne silk tent. Her reflection showed her a flawless woman of thirty-two swathed in lavender satin. She critically examined her reflectin, searching for blemishes. If there was one thing Eugenia could not stand, it was imperfection. Once something was imperfect it was useless, it needed to be discarded. Like her first three husbands.

The purple material proved spotless and her visage radiant, so she relaxed. Wistfully, she remembered her first marriage ceremony. She’d been so nervous, but she’d worn a lovely blue gown. Blue was ancient color of purity, she wouldn’t be able to wear it at a wedding ever again.

Still, while the gown had been ideal, Algernon Zabini had been far less so. Crass, coarse and secretive, he’d mistakenly assumed that Eugenia would submit to his every whim.

A dark smile crept onto her face as she remembered his shock when she’d turned her wand onto him. The bastard had got what he’d deserved, he was unworthy to be her husband.

This time, Eugenia hoped she would be making the perfect marriage. Her smile softened as she pictured how Archie must look in his dress robes, with his golden sun-bleached hair falling across his face…

“Madam,” the squeaky voice of a House Elf interrupted her reverie, “the ceremony is starting.”

Eugenia waved a careless hand in the creature’s direction and it departed. Squaring her shoulders, she threw the mirror one last look. Hopefully this time the marriage would work out just right.

o o o o o o o


There were very few virgin clearings left in England. All were magically warded against nastier creatures including werewolves, dementors, vampires, Muggles, etc. They were havens where the Druids of old had performed their ceremonies. In the center of the clearing sat a smooth stone. Eugenia approached the stone from the left of the field. Heads swiveled in her direction and she felt an inner glow of pride at the faces of stark admiration.

Archie exited his tent on the right of the field and made his way to the stone as well. Suddenly, Eugenia’s eyes were transfixed on him and he likewise gazed only at her. Still, he moved with natural grace over the sweet grass.

At the stone, wearing robes of deep red, stood old Rosier. He would be presiding over the ceremony today. On top of the stone sat a silver chalice. Eugenia stopped in front of the stone at the exact same moment that Archie did. Inwardly, she gloated at how perfectly matched they were for each other. Her with seductive beauty and him with sunny appeal; they fitted like yin and yang.

In the distance, hidden amongst the trees, wood nymphs wordlessly serenaded. Fairies fluttered about, giving the clearing a soft light. It was midnight, the witching hour, the time of hallowed ceremonies.

“Kinsman, brethren, we are gathered here today,” Rosier began. Eugenia silently chewed on her tongue in annoyance. She had heard this speech so many times, that she could hardly stand it. It was so long and dull. Not to mention the man was ancient and spoke slowly.

Her eyes moved to Archie. His blue eyes bore into her black ones and she was entranced. For the next hour of gaelic chanting she stood caught in his gaze.

Finally, Rosier reached the part where the binding was required. Eugenia held out her hand, wincing as she anticipated the damage soon to befall her smooth ebony palm. Holding the athame surprisingly steady, Rosier cut across her heart line. A line of blood bubbled to the surface of her skin. She waited as he cut Archie’s palm as well, glad that Archie did not recoil in disgust as her second husband had.

Taking both their hands, Rosier clasped them together, so that their blood mingled as he chanted the final words.

“Blood to blood, flesh to flesh.
Fuse your strengths and powers.
Ancestors, bless your descendants,
allow these two to become as one.”


Once the last syllable had escaped Rosier’s lips, a bubble of light began to glow between the couples clasped hands. Carefully, keeping fingers intertwined, Eugenia and Archie cupped their hands so that the light could escape and float upwards.

Soon it had shrunk from view so much that it resembled another star. Grinning from ear to ear, Archie gathered her up in his arms and planted a long, invigorating kiss on her lips. Eugenia felt as though she were floating, everything had gone wonderfully, maybe she had finally done it right.

o o o o o o o


At the reception, the guests were served expensive caviar and fine vintage wine. Fairies carried small baskets of sweets to the children. Exotic wood nymphs sang as the carried food platters around the tables. It was the most expensive ceremony most of the guests could remember.

Eugenia and Archie didn’t stay long to enjoy it however. After the necessary toasts were made, Archie had pulled her away to their personal tent. The bed was covered in sheets of the smoothest satin. The pillows were full of phoenix down. The bed itself was a hammock woven of pure gold.

The newly wed couple was basking in the luxury, but oblivious. They were absorbed in each other.

“Finally,” Archie murmured into her ear, “I have you alone to myself.”

He proceeded to kiss the soft skin behind her ear. Eugenia moaned softly, it was her weak spot. Archie proceeded to nibble down her neck. Eugenia showered his forehead with little kisses as her hands deftly unclasped his outer robe and let it fall to the floor.

His fingers wound around in her hair. He kissed her collarbone as he sought to undo the clasps at the back of her dress.

Happily, Eugenia began voicing her pleasure.

“This evening has been like a dream,” she murmured as Archie’s lips moved past her neck. Her hands explored the tight muscles of his chest. “Everything went perfectly. I don’t even mind that ugly little man who scowled the whole time in the back row.”

“Apologies, dearest, I’m afraid he’s my brother,” Archie laughed into her chest.

“He doesn’t look related to you,” Eugenia protested.

“Well, I’m afraid I got all the luck in the family,” Archie grinned. “First the looks, then the charm, then to Mum and Da’s surprise I turned out to be a wizard””

“Why wouldn’t they expect you to be a wizard? Don’t tell me your brother’s a Squib,” Eugenia protested, pulling Archie’s head up. A dark warning stirred in the pit of her stomach, maybe her hasty marriage had been a huge mistake.

“No,” Archie laughed. “He’s not a Squib. He’s a Muggle.”

Now Eugenia sat straight up in the hammock, throwing Archie off with astonishing force. She blinked at Archie as though seeing him for the first time. If his brother was a Muggle, then his parents must be Muggles. And that would mean he was Muggle-born…

“What was that all about?” Archie demanded, somewhat put off. He moved to embrace his new wife again, but Eugenia scooted away as fast as she could.

“Don’t touch me!” she shrieked shrilly. “You filthy Mudblood!”

Archie stopped in his tracks. At her words, his face turned from puzzled to stone. He visibly bristled under the name.

“What did you just call me?” he took another step towards her. Eugenia backed away again.

“I can’t believe it,” she muttered to herself. “Not even a simple check on his parents, how could I be so careless?”

“You love me,” Archie insisted. “Surely my lineage doesn’t affect that.”

Eugenia turned to face Archie. Suddenly he didn’t seem so handsome, the way his hair swept across his face looked sloppy, not dashing. His eyes were rather squinty, his lips asymmetrical. One of his teeth was crooked, he even sported a smudge of dirt on one cheek.

Eyes widening in horror, Eugenia suddenly understood that she had a disgusting monster attempting to share her marital bed. Archie continued to talk to her, trying to convince her that he was no different. She didn’t hear him.

Hand shaking, she reached for her wand.

“You wouldn’t,” Archie stated. “Eugenia””

“Don’t say my name,” she snarled. “Don’t befoul my name anymore than you already have.”

“Look, you’re being illogical,” Archie was visibly frustrated now. He took another step towards her causing her to brandish her wand at him.

“I’ll do it,” she snarled. “Don’t doubt it. You dirty creature, trying to corrupt me. You ugly, flawed being!”

Archie raised his hand to grab her. Before his hand could brush her skin, she had pointed the wand directly at his chest.

“Avada Kedavra!”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56690