Change by novella07
Summary: Lily Evans and James Potter hated each from the moment they met. Or so it seemed. This is their story.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 16645 Read: 21129 Published: 08/27/06 Updated: 10/18/07

1. The Letters by novella07

2. Diagon Alley by novella07

3. Platform 9 and 3/4 by novella07

4. Sorting Hat by novella07

5. The Marauders by novella07

6. We are the Marauders by novella07

7. Chapter 7: Payback is Sweet by novella07

The Letters by novella07
Chapter One: The Letters

Lily Evans wasn’t exactly a normal eleven-year-old girl in many aspects. She was normal in that she lived with her two parents and her annoying older sister who she bickered with about half the time and played with the other half of the time. She lived in a nice house and she wasn’t rich, but she wasn’t exactly poor. She lived in a normal neighborhood where her best friend, Rachel Mooney, lived next door. Those were the aspects in which her life was perfectly normal to the point that it was somewhat boring.

But, she sometimes made rather strange things happen. For instance, the last time that Petunia and Lily had a fight; Petunia had ended up with her hair a bright shade of purple (which happened to be Lily’s favorite color). And then there was the rare time that she failed the math test with a low grade, but when they were reviewing over the test, all the answers had somehow become correct. Lily had handed the teacher the test and had ended up with a low A.

Because of the strange things that happened, she sometimes felt as if she didn’t belong with the other kids at school. Except for with Rachel. Rachel made strange things happen to. Unexplainable things. They sometimes pretended to be good witches fighting the evil demons and saving lives. It was their favorite game as kids.

But Lily didn’t think she believed in witches. Her father, who was a scientist, had explained away any possibility of a magical world…although he couldn’t explain the strange things she made happen. Lily wished that witches existed. She had a feeling that if they did, she might find a world that she belonged to. She had never talked that over with Rachel, but she sometimes wondered after she did something strange and miraculous if any of it was possible.

Maybe she was like the good witch in The Wizard of Oz or something like that, but then reason would catch up with her impossible thoughts and she would decide that she was just a normal eleven-year-old girl who had the tendency to do strange things.

And then it happened. The letter came that changed everything. She sat at the table with her sister and her father while her mother set the bacon on the table.

“Lily, go get the mail,” Mr. Jason Evans said, setting his newspaper down.

“Okay,” the eleven-year-old climbed out of her chair, obediently and headed towards the door. She heard Petunia telling her father about the girl at school who had been expelled. Lily grinned. She was finally going to go to Petunia’s school where more interesting things happened. Elementary school was completely boring. She grabbed the mail and flipped through it absentmindedly and paused when she landed on a letter for herself.

Lily Evans
9 Mercy Street
Little Whinging
Surrey

Lily decided it must have been addressed to her by mistake. The letter looked almost business like. She never got mail except for rude library notes saying her books were overdue.

“Mum,” she handed the letter to her mom. “I think this was addressed to me by mistake.” Lily handed it to her mother and sat down again and handed the bills to her dad. Mrs. Gloria Evans ripped the letter open and began reading a loud.

“Dear, Ms. Evans, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at…” She paused. “This has to be a joke,” she breathed under her breath.

“Lily’s getting junk mail?” Mr. Evans asked, standing up and walked over to his wife’s side who handed it to him.

“What’s it say?” Lily asked, curiously as her father read silently.

“It’s impossible,” Mr. Evans said.

“But…it looks legit,” Mrs. Evans argued as she flipped the note over. “I mean look how detailed it is.”

“Can I see it?” Lily asked. “Please, Mum?”

Mrs. Evans read it out loud. “Dear, Ms. Evans, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.” Lily gasped as her mother continued. “Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31. Sincerely, Minerva McGonagall.” She turned the page as Mr. Evans sat down.

“What does it mean await your owl?” he asked.

“Look at the book titles: The Standard Book of Spells, A History of Magic, Magical Theory, the Beginners Guide to Transfiguration, One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, Magical Drafts and Potions, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection,” Lily listened in awe. She was a witch. A real live witch. It seemed almost too good to be true, yet it fit.

“Other equipment. A wand, a cauldron…,” Mr. Evans paused.

“Parents are reminded that first years are not allowed their own broomsticks,” Mrs. Evans said as the doorbell rang.

“Can I go, Daddy?” Lily asked.

“Get the door, honey,” Mrs. Evans said, not answering the question as Lily obeyed. She wanted to go. She had to go. She knew it sounded unreal, but somehow she knew it was real. She opened the door and started at the woman in her doorway. She wore her dark hair in a neat bun and her lips were pressed sternly together and she wore some kind of weird black dress that resembled a robe.

“Hello,” the woman said. “My name is Minerva McGonagall. Are your parents here?” she asked.

“Uh. Yeah. Daddy,” Lily turned and yelled. “Mum! There’s a lady at the door,” Lily turned back and smiled politely. “Would you like to come in?”

“Yes,” the woman nodded. Lily decided then that this was a strict woman as her parents came in with Petunia trailing behind them. Petunia was looking at Lily strangely.

“Hello,” the woman said, kindly. Lily’s parents glanced at the weird dress thing she wore. “My name is Minerva McGonagall. I teach Transfiguration at Hogwarts…”

“So, it is a real school, then?” Mr. Evans asked, unbelievingly.

“Yes, Mr. Evans.” McGonagall nodded turning to Lily. “I assume you are Lily Evans.”

Lily nodded. She couldn’t wait to tell Rachel…but, then it hit her. She couldn’t leave Rachel. Neither of them fit in with their class and they were always made fun of. The only way they got through school was because they were together.

“We normally have a teacher come and explain to those who don’t have wizarding family about the letter so that they can ask questions and things. Have you read the letter already?”

“Yes,” Mrs. Evans nodded. “Lily’s a witch?” she asked.

“Yes,” McGonagall nodded. “She is a Muggle-born witch. A Muggle is someone who doesn’t have any magical abilities. The school starts teaching around the age of eleven and prepares them for a life in the Wizarding World.”

Mr. Evans nodded. “Do you teach normal subjects like she would learn at school here?”

“No. They aren’t needed in our world. Lily would be able to come back to visit during Christmas, Easter, and summer vacations. She can owl you to keep in touch,” McGonagall continued telling her about the Platform that led to the Hogwarts terminal and the wall that led to where she could get her schools things and the money the Wizarding world used.

“Lily, what do you think?” Mr. Evans turned to his youngest daughter.

“It sounds…,” Lily began, trying to figure out how to word her thoughts. She wanted to go with everything in her. It sounded like a place where she would actually fit. Rachel would fit there too, but… She glanced over at where Rachel’s house was before asking McGonagall a question. Rachel managed to make strange things happen just like she did. “Are there any other witches around here?” she asked. Rachel had to be one too. How could she not be?

“I believe that Rachel Mooney probably just got her letter,” McGonagall smiled for the first time. It was a smile that seemed as if it was rarely given. Lily’s face broke into a smile as she turned to her dad.

“Dad, can I go?” Lily asked. She knew her mother would be fine with it, which left her father. The scientist. The one who was trying desperately to wrap his mind around the idea of magic.

Hogwarts sounded like a place where she would belong. Unlike the high school she was about to attend. “Please, Dad?” she begged.

“I don’t know,” He said, turning to his wife. “Gloria?” Lily knew what he was doing. He had done it many times before. He asked his wife to give himself time to think. She grinned inwardly. When he did that, his answer was almost always yes.

“I don’t have a problem with it, Jason,” Gloria said, looking at Professor McGonagall.

“Then I guess so,” He said, turning back to the strict Professor. “So, how do we get her books and things again?”

Lily bit her to lip to stop the grin that was begging to spread across her face as the professor told them about a pub called the Leaky Cauldron that led to Diagon Alley. “Just ask the bartender, Tom. He will show you,” McGonagall said handing Lily a ticket for the train. She explained about the hidden barrier and was gone in just a few minutes.

“I’m a witch,” she whispered, staring out the window until she saw McGonagall leave Rachel’s house. And then she ran outside, meeting her best friend on the grassy lawn.
~*~*~

James Potter wasn’t at all surprised when the letter came for him in the mail. He had been waiting for it all summer and could hardly believe that soon he would be going to Hogwarts. He read the letter at least a hundred times, folding it over and over until it looked as if it had survived almost everything. His mother, Olivia Potter, watched each time with a look of amusement on her face. His father, Harold, watched with a look of pride. His only son was about to go off to school.

Sirius Black was in the same boat. He had known that he was a wizard and hadn’t been surprised at all when the owl landed on his dinner table. He only hoped that he wouldn’t be in Slytherin like every other member of his family. He hated them and their pureblood mania even though he was only an eleven-year-old boy.

Remus Lupin meanwhile did not expect the letter to come. Each day that brought that day closer caused him to feel more and more aggravated. His parents noticed but felt powerless to do anything. Remus was a werewolf, and werewolves weren’t allowed at school. No werewolf had ever been admitted. He had been bitten when he was six, and his life had been terrible since. His parents were amazing. They had built a boarded up shack that he couldn’t get out of during his terrible transformations on the full moon. And they treated him the way they would have if he hadn’t been bitten. He knew they had given up so much. Mrs. Lupin had always wanted a large family, but they had decided they couldn’t have another child. Remus was too dangerous.

Remus hid in his room, the week that the letters were known to arrive until his mother called him downstairs on an extremely hot Friday night.

“Remus!” she yelled up the stairs.

“Coming, Mum,” he said, standing up and moving towards the stairs. He froze when he entered the small living area. (They weren’t rich and didn’t have a lot of money. Their house was extremely small, but as there were only three of them they didn’t need much more.) Professor Albus Dumbledore stood there. Remus would recognize him anywhere even though he had never met him. The professor had been a teacher at Hogwarts although and this was his first year as the Headmaster. Remus had heard that Professor McGonagall had taken his position as Transfiguration teacher.

“Professor?” he said, questioningly noticing the way that the elderly professor with the crooked nose studied him.

“Hello, Remus,” Dumbledore said, holding a letter in his hand. He handed it over to the boy who ripped it open, trying not to get his hope up. He read the first sentence silently. Dear, Mr. Lupin, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry”it said. Remus looked up, his eyes meeting the clear blue eyes of the professor.

“But…” he said, not sure how to word what he wanted to say. He was a werewolf. He was dangerous to the other students. How could he go to school there?

“I have made some safety precautions. There is a tree that was built called the Whomping Willow. The Whomping Willow will not allow anyone at all close to the tree,” Dumbledore said as Remus at down across from him on the couch. “At the bottom of the tree, there is a knot that only you and I know about. Oh, and Madam Pomfrey, the school nurse has agreed to help. By pressing the knot, the tree will be stilled. Under the tree, there is a path that leads to a boarded up house where you will stay during your transformations. You will not be able to hurt anyone, and you will be able to attend school.”

Remus felt like he was in a dream. Could this be possible? He was going to Hogwarts even though he was an eleven-year-old monster once a month. “Are you serious?” he had to ask. The professor nodded, and Remus’ face broke into a grin. He was going to Hogwarts.

Peter Pettigrew felt the same way. He had at times wondered if he wasn’t magic enough to come to the school. Sometimes, he wondered if he was a Squib. But the letter came.

Lily Evans, Rachel Mooney, James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew were going to Hogwarts where they would form an impenetrable bond that could not be broken. Or maybe it could. Who knew? All they knew was that this was the letter that would change their lives.
Diagon Alley by novella07
Author's Notes:
Hey. R/R. Tell me what I'm doing wrong or right or wutever.
Chapter Two: Diagon Alley

Lily waved her best friend over when she stepped onto the lawn with the letter held in her hand. “Can you believe it?” she asked at the same time as Rachel said, “Isn’t it amazing?”

They both burst out into insane laughter that only made sense to them. They had never fit into this world and now they knew why. They belonged to another.

The two collapsed onto the grass. Eleven-year-old Rachel was beautiful with blonde hair and baby blue eyes. It was obvious to everyone who knew her that someday she would be the envy of all other girls and the object of affection for many guys. Even at eleven, Rachel constantly thought about guys and snogging. Lily was just as beautiful, but in a different way. Her dark red hair fell in slight waves around her heart shaped face and her large almond green eyes were the first thing that a person noticed upon seeing her. Her fiery temper matched her hair, and she hated it when someone mentioned that.

The two best friends headed to Diagon Alley for the first time ever on August thirteenth. They found their way to the Leaky Cauldron with difficulty. Only Rachel and Lily could see it, and their mothers just had to follow them. Their fathers hadn’t bothered to come. All the Muggles around them didn’t actually see it. Their mothers gasped in astonishment when they ended up in a tiny, grubby-looking pub. They stepped in and the two girls stared around.

The Leaky Cauldron, which was supposedly a famous place, was dark and shabby. Many witches and wizards and hags and other strange looking creatures sat at tables drinking from tiny glasses. The bartender that they figured was the Tom that McGonagall had mentioned to them was bald and missing several teeth. Many eyes turned towards them with looks of curiosity on their faces.

“Hello,” Lily’s mom stepped forward followed by Mrs. Mooney. “Where is Diagon Alley?” she asked, nervously.

“Muggles?” the man asked, with a nod. “This way.” Tom led them to a brick wall and started counting the bricks above the trash can. “Remember to hit it with your wands three up and two across,” he said to the eleven-year-old girls. Rachel had a terrible memory so she decided to let Lily remember that.

The brick wall quivered and began to make a gap in the center that became larger and larger until it was large enough for them to walk through. Lily glanced back after they had stepped through as the wall became one again. She grinned at Rachel who laughed.

“This is absolutely amazing,” Rachel said, pulling on the Best necklace she wore around her neck. Lily had the other end that said Friends. They stepped onto a cobbled street that twisted and turned out of sight. The nearest shop had a stack of cauldrons with a sign hanging over them that read. Cauldrons”All Sizes”Copper, Brass, Pewter, Silver”Self-Stirring”Collapsible.

“That’s on the list, Mum,” Rachel said.

“Yeah, but the woman said we have to use different kind of money. She said to go to Gringotts. It’s supposed to be some kind of a bank,” Mrs. Mooney said. Lily looked around, trying to see everything. Her eyes landed on the Apothecary where she was to get her Potions ingredients. And then there was a sign that said Eeylops Owl Emporium. McGonagall had said that they used owls the same way that Muggles used the postal system.

“How about I get you an owl for your birthday, Lily?” Mrs. Evans said.

“My birthday is not until December,” Lily pointed out.

“It’s an early present. That way the two of you can write us often. Do you two understand me?” Mrs. Evans said.

“Got it,” Rachel and Lily said together. The other shops were just as interesting. There was a shop that had a sign mentioning something called Quidditch. A second glance into the store showed that they sold what looked like broomsticks. And then there were shops selling robes, telescopes, strange instruments, book stores and more.

“Look, Mum,” Lily pointed. “Is that it?” she pointed at a snowy white building that was twice as high as the other shops.

“Eww. What is that?” Rachel asked, pointing to a weird creature in a scarlet and gold uniform outside of the door.

“It looks like a goblin,” Lily said. Or at least what she would have imagined a goblin to look like. The goblin was at least a head shorter than the two girls with a swarthy, clever face, a pointed beard, and very long fingers and feet. He bowed to them as they walked inside through the bronze doors. And then they were facing a second pair of doors.

A pair of goblins bowed them through the silver doors and they were now in large marble hall. At least a hundred more goblins sat on high stools. There were too many doors to count leading off the hall, and even more goblins showed people in and out of those doors.

Mrs. Evans looked even more nervous than she had when approaching Tom as she stepped up to speak to one of the free goblins. “E-e-excuse me,” She said. “I’m here to exchange money.” The exchange was quick and the goblin explained impatiently what the coins were.

Mrs. Evans and Mrs. Mooney piled the money into money bags and followed their daughters out of the bank.

“That was an interesting enough bank,” Mrs. Mooney muttered to Mrs. Evans. They decided to get their robes first at a store called Madam Malkin’s Roves for All Occasions. The two girls stepped inside with their mothers to see a squat, smiling witch dressed in mauve robes.

“Hogwarts, dears?” she asked, upon seeing the two girls who nodded. “It’s all out here already. I’m fitting up another young man just now.”

She pointed to where a sickly looking boy stood. His hair was a light brown and his dark blue eyes had flecks of gray in them and his robes were almost falling off his body. His wizard parents watched the boy who glanced over at them.

“Remus. We’re going to go get your books,” his mother said and they left. Lily and Rachel’s own mothers sat in the corner not paying any attention to the three eleven-year-olds.

“Hi,” Rachel, always the outgoing one, said. “I’m Rachel Mooney. You go to Hogwarts too, I suppose?” she asked, with a smile as Madam Malkin stood her on the stool next to him. Lily stepped onto the next one.

“Yes,” He said, shyly. “I’m Remus Lupin.”

“This is my best friend, Lily Evans. What’s Quidditch?” she asked. “I saw a sign for it and it’s ever such a strange name. We’re both Muggle-borns, you see and… are you laughing at me, Lily?” Rachel said. Lily couldn’t help it. Remus Lupin looked so intimidated that it came off quite hilarious.

“Course not,” Lily lied. “Why ever would I laugh at you?”

“Ha ha. So, what is Quidditch?” she turned to the boy.

“It’s a sport played on broomsticks. I’m not very good at explaining it.”

“Do you know where they got the name Quidditch?” was Rachel’s next question.

“No. Not really,” Remus said, glancing at Lily who was turning red from trying not to laugh.

“Hold still, dear,” Madam Malkin sighed.

“Why are you laughing at me?” Rachel demanded.

“I am doing no such thing. Am I Remus?” she turned to the boy.

“Course not,” he said. And to Rachel’s annoyance, he ended up laughing as hard as Lily. By the time the boys parents returned, the two of them could hardly stand up straight to Madam Malkin’s annoyance. Rachel was confused and Lily and Remus had no idea why they were laughing. Mostly to incense her and it was working. Remus’ family stepped inside just as Madam Malkin finished him up. By that time, the three of them were talking like they had been friends forever (which were true with the exception of Remus).

“See you at Hogwarts,” Remus yelled. His parents grinned to each other; glad that for the first time Remus Lupin was making friends.

“Bye!” They waved as he left the store. Madam Malkin finished their robes and they left. Next, they found a store called Flourish and Blotts which was stacked to the ceiling with books. There were many strange books, and Lily kept begging her mom for more. She loved reading. Rachel’s mother bought her a book about Quidditch and the many teams in Britain and Lily bought a book called Hogwarts, a History in addition to their many school books. They also bought cauldrons, quills, parchment, and scales and many other interesting things. Both of their mothers bought them an owl. Lily’s was a beautiful snowy white owl, and Rachel’s was a tawny owl. They then headed to the last store. The store they were looking forwards to the most. They had to get their wands. A magic wand, Lily thought. What would it look like? What could she do with it?

They went to a store called Ollivanders, which they had heard someone say was the best place for wands. The shop was narrow and shabby with peeling gold letters that read Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C. A tinkling bell rang as they stepped inside. It was a tiny place that was almost as quiet as a library. Quieter, Lily decided as they waited

“Good afternoon,” said a soft voice. Lily and Rachel jumped. An old man was standing before them, his wide, pale eyes shining as he studied them.

“Hi,” Lily said awkwardly. Even Rachel seemed a bit nervous around this man.

“I am Mr. Ollivander. And you are?”

“Lily Evans. And this is Rachel Mooney.”

“Muggle-borns.”

It wasn’t a question. His silvery eyes were a bit creepy. “So, I’ll start with you, Ms. Evans. Which arm is your wand arm?”

“My wand arm?” she asked.

“Which hand do you write with?”

“Oh. The left,” she answered. The man measured her as he spoke. He talked on and on about how wands were filled with magical substances and how each one was unique and that no wizard would do as well using another wizard’s wand. Lily realized with a start that the tape measure was doing the measuring himself while Mr. Ollivander flitted around the shelves, taking down several boxes. It took several tries with her swinging each wand before one of them worked.

Mr. Ollivander handed it to her as he spoke of it. “Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Exceptional for charm work.”

Lily touched the wand and felt a strange sort of warmth in her fingers. She raised it above her head and brought it swishing down and a stream of sparks shot out of the end.

“Oh. Very good,” Mr. Ollivander said. “Wait over here while I work on Ms. Mooney.” Lily watched as Rachel went through the same steps ending up with a wand that was maple and unicorn hair, eight and a half inches, and apparently good for Transfiguration. They each paid seven gold Galleons for their wands and were bowed from the shop. Lily and Rachel both agreed that night that they didn’t like Mr. Ollivander much. He was a bit creepy. They walked back through the wall and the empty Leaky Cauldron and back into the midst of London and the underground talking excitedly about the world they had now become apart of.
Platform 9 and 3/4 by novella07
Author's Notes:
The third chapter is up! A million more to go. JK, there won't be a million chapters. That would be a tad long. Neways, no that I'm talking about nothing, R/R. Tell me wut u think and wut im doing wrong. Please?
Chapter Three: Platform 9 and 3/4

Lily fell asleep with her trunk packed on August thirty-first, excitement coursing through her entire body. She had ended up naming her white owl Arwin after an elf from her favorite Muggle trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. Rachel meanwhile was looking through her history books and had settled on Rowena.

Lily had read up on the four houses at Hogwarts. She hoped desperately that she would be in the same house as Rachel. Slytherin sounded terrible. She had read in a book about Dark Wizards that almost every Slytherin ended up turning towards Dark magic. They were supposed to be cunning and a bunch of other things Lily didn’t want to be. Hufflepuff sounded okay, but she wasn’t sure that she wanted to be in there either. Ravenclaw was for the brainy people, but she personally favored the idea of being a Gryffindor. Brave and loyal to the end. Rachel agreed with her one hundred percent.

She struggled to fall asleep and woke up at five o’ clock the next morning and couldn’t fall back asleep. She pulled on a pair of her favorite jeans and grabbed a black T-shirt. She assumed that they were supposed to change in their robes on the buses. It would attract too much attention at the train station if a bunch of kids came in weird robes. She checked her Hogwarts list and double checked it and then made sure Arwin was safely shut in her cage and then she found a Muggle novel and read for two hours until her father loaded her huge, heavy trunk into the back of his car. She saw Rachel’s mom coming over with Rachel’s trunk. They had decided to take one car. Rachel’s mom climbed into the back with the girls and they were off.

“What’s the Platform number again?” Mrs. Evans asked.

“”Platform 9 and ¾,” Rachel answered, trying to remember how they had said to get onto the platform. It was supposed to leave at eleven. “What did Professor McGonagall say about getting on the train?” she asked.

“She said we couldn’t come with you, but you’re supposed to walk through the dividing barrier between the two platforms,” Mr. Evans said. Lily and Rachel exchanged frightened looks.

“Are you sure?” Lily asked.

“Pretty sure,” Mr. Evans nodded.

“How?” Rachel asked, glancing around. Her eyes landed on a messy haired boy with his own owl. He just ran at the barrier as if it was nothing and disappeared.

“Like that, I guess,” Lily mumbled. “I’ll go first.”

She said goodbye to her family and then ran. Fear enveloped her as she ran. She was going to crash. She knew it. It wasn’t logical to walk through a solid wall, but then she didn’t crash. She kept running and opened here eyes. Rachel came up behind her and they took in the sight of the scarlet steam engine. The platform was packed with people. A sign overhead said Hogwarts Express.

“We did it,” Lily mumbled. Smoke from the engine drifted over the head of the chattering crowd. Young witches and wizards everywhere said goodbye to their parents and climbed on to the train. The boy they had seen cross the Platform was standing near them, his hazel colored eyes taking in the sight of everything as his mother stood next to him.

“I know you, James. Don’t get into too much trouble,” She said, pointedly.

“Trouble? Me?” the boy asked, innocently with a devilish smile that belied his tone. “Bye, Mum. Dad.”

“Let’s get on, shall we?” Rachel asked, not having noticed the exchange between mother and son.

“All right,” Lily followed her on and they found an empty compartment and tried fruitlessly to lift their trunk above them when Remus Lupin effortlessly took it from her hands and stuffed it right above her.

“Thanks,” Lily smiled as Rachel waved just as Remus took her trunk also.

“You are the best,” Rachel smiled at him.

Remus smiled back at her. “Do you mind if I sit with you?” he asked.

“If you explain to me about Quidditch,” Rachel replied as he followed her inside. Lily remembered meeting him in Diagon Alley and remembered how intimidated he had been. He wasn’t intimidated any more. That was Rachel’s affect on everyone no matter how shy they were. She had always been good at making people open up to her almost effortlessly.

“I’ll try, but it’s kind of complicated,” And with that he began the somewhat complicated explanation. “There are seven players on each team…”

“Sounds very complicated…” Rachel hissed to Lily who laughed.

“Do you want me to explain?” Remus asked, trying not to laugh also.

“I’m waiting…” she said as if she wasn’t the one who had interrupted. Remus rolled his eyes and continued.

“Three of them are called Chasers.”

“Chasers?” Rachel said, softly. “What do they chase?”

“The Quaffle. It’s a red ball about the size of a soccer ball,” Remus knew about some of the Muggle traditions, because his mother was a Muggle born witch and he had played with cousins who loved soccer.

“Quaffle?” Lily said, deciding she might as well join Rachel’s question.

“What is with all the strange names?” Rachel wondered, grinning at Lily deviously.

“Who comes up with them?”

“Shut it, you,” Remus pointed at both of them, patiently. “The Chasers throw the Quaffle to each other and try to get it through one of the hoops. There are three poles with hoops on the end about fifty feet high.”

“Wow! That’s high,” Lily remarked.

“So, it’s kind of like basketball?” Rachel asked. “…on broomsticks with six hoops instead of two?”

“And the hoops are rather high in the air,” Lily added.

“In that regard, yes, but there’s more,” Remus said, sounding more like a professor than an eleven-year-old boy in Lily’s opinion. He was one of the few wizards who would even understand what basketball was.

“So, there’s three Chasers who chase the Quaffle and try to get it in the little hoop thingies?” Rachel said.

“Yes,” Remus smirked at the way she referred to the hoops as little hoop thingies.

“Then there’s a Keeper who guards the hoops,” Remus said.

“Kind of like a goalie in soccer,” Both of the girls said at once causing Remus to laugh.

“Yeah. They fly around the hoops and try to stop the other team’s chasers from scoring.”

“So… There are three chasers…” Lily said.

“Who chase the Quaffle…” Rachel interrupted.

“And then there’s the Keeper…” Lily added.

“Who guards the hoops…” Rachel said.

“And this is difficult to understand, how?” Lily asked.

Remus rolled his eyes. “There are three other balls and three other players,” he sighed.

“Oh,” Rachel said.

“That explains it.”

“How long have you two known each other?” Remus wondered. “You sound like twins.”

“We’ve lived next door to each other for practically ever,” Rachel answered. “Now, don’t change the subject. Quidditch.”

“There is also the Bludger which is black and a bit smaller than the Quaffle. It hurts awful when you get hit. The Bludger’s purpose is to try and knock the players off their brooms.”

“Ouch,” Rachel muttered.

“This doesn’t sound like a very safe game,” Lily added.

“Has the Bludger ever killed anyone?” Rachel said in a completely offhand manner. Lily wanted to laugh. Only Rachel would sound as if the answer didn’t really matter.

“Not at Hogwarts,” Remus shrugged. “There are two Beaters who try and protect their side and knock the Bludgers towards the other team.”

“Okay,” Lily said.

“So there are seven players. Three Chasers, one Keeper, two Beaters, and…”

“The Seeker. The most important player on the team,” Remus explained. “The Seeker’s job is to catch the Snitch which is a tiny, gold ball about the size of a walnut. It’s practically impossible to catch. The Seeker has to weave through the other players and catch the Snitch before the other team’s Seeker. The Seeker who gets the Snitch wins his team one hundred and fifty points, which is why that team almost always wins. A game of Quidditch doesn’t end until the Snitch is caught.”

“I don’t think that was all that difficult to explain, Remus,” Rachel said. “I think you just didn’t want to explain it.”

“Although, it sounds dangerous,” Lily couldn’t help but put in.

“I want to play on the team,” Rachel decided, ignoring the fact that it sounded kind of dangerous.

“Good luck,” Remus snickered. “First years never make the house teams. Their not even allowed brooms.”

“That stinks,” Rachel frowned, and then broke into a grin. “Then I’ll make it next year.”

“Shouldn’t you see if you’re any good first?” Remus suggested.

“I can figure it out,” Rachel said, confidently. “So, what does a wizard do once there out of school?”

“Well, you can work for the Ministry. There are a lot of areas in the Ministry to work in. Or you can work for Gringotts. Or you can be a Healer…”

“A Healer?” Lily asked.

“Kind of like a doctor, I think that’s what Muggles call them,” Remus explained.

“It is,” Rachel answered.

“And then there’s Aurors…”

“Aurors?” They both said at once. Lily glanced at Rachel who looked like she was suppressing a laugh. What was with these strange names anyway?

“Dark wizard catchers.”

“Dark wizards? Like Grindewald…” Lily asked. “I read that Professor Dumbledore stopped Grindewald.”

“He did,” Remus answered.

“So, are all your family wizards?” Rachel asked.

“On my dad’s side, yes. But my mum was the first witch in her family. She’s a Muggle born.”

The conversation moved on constantly as the train moved closer and closer to the place that would change their lives forever.

~*~*~
At the same time that Rachel and Lily had run into Remus Lupin, James Potter found himself leaving his parents and climbing onto the train. He pushed his things up into the top corner and then took a seat next to two boys. One was a slightly overweight boy with watery blue eyes and a face that resembled a rat. The other boy was a boy whose black hair fell elegantly into his eyes (which to James annoyance his own hair would never do) and with dark steel gray eyes that had a mischievous twinkle in them.

“Mind if I sit here?” he asked.

“Go right ahead,” The black haired boy said. “This is Peter Pettigrew and I’m Sirius Black.” Black…James recognized the last name immediately. His family hated the Blacks. The majority of them were dark wizards.

“James Potter,” He said, deciding it would be rude to just leave. Judging by the look on Sirius’ face, he recognized James’ surname as well. “Any idea what house you want to be in?” he asked. He knew what he wanted to be in. Gryffindor. Just like his mum and dad. Gryffindor was the house of the brave.

“Anything but Slytherin,” Sirius Black said with a dark look in his eyes. The mischievous glint in his eye disappeared momentarily and then returned as he continued. “I think Gryffindor would annoy my mum and dad the most,” He said.

James grinned, suddenly glad that he had decided to stay put. “I want to be in Gryffindor too.”

“Same here,” Peter said, quietly. James had the impression that he had just agreed with James and Sirius, but shrugged inwardly.

“So?” Sirius bent over, his mischievous glint even more obvious. “Do you like trouble?” he asked. “Or are you a goody-two-shoes boy?”

James’ face broke into a grin. “Depends. What type of trouble?” Peter watched, noticing how the same mischievous glint had appeared in James’ eyes.

“Nothing serious, of course. At least not too serious. Pranks and the like,” Sirius answered, and they spent the better part of the train ride coming up with different pranks. And then it happened.
~*~*~

Lily had pulled out her Lord of the Rings book while Rachel questioned Remus even more about Quidditch. She couldn’t help but smile every time Rachel managed to stump him. She was entertained for quite awhile just listening until she heard a loud bang.

“What do you suppose that was?” she asked standing up. Remus and Rachel followed her outside and they glanced into the hallway. Lily gasped. A greasy haired boy with a hooked nose and sallow skin sat on the ground laughing hysterically while grimacing. Two black haired boys stood over him, their wands pointing at him while a fat boy stood directly behind them. Lily knew that the boy on the ground wasn’t laughing because he wanted to be. He had been hit with a laughing hex.

Lily sighed as she turned to see if she could find someone who could take that hex off of him. She definitely didn’t know how. She saw a boy with a prefect badge on his chest. She waved him over and pointed wordlessly at Snape.

“Finite Incantatum,” the prefect said, but to her annoyance, he didn’t yell at the two boys. He just walked away.

The boy on the ground stopped laughing and glanced up at her as if about to thank her for getting the prefect and then froze as his eyes landed on the book in her hand. The Muggle book.

“I don’t need your help, Mudblood.”

“How dare you?” one of the black haired boys said. Lily glanced up, having no idea what was going on. Her eyes landed on the one with messy black hair and hazel eyes hidden behind glasses. He held his wand up and muttered another curse that sent the boy on the ground sailing into the air.

“Stop!” Lily yelled, glaring at him. “What did he do to you?”

The other boy spoke up. “He called you a…Mudblood.” His hair fell into his eyes elegantly unlike his friend’s own hair.

“I don’t need your help,” She said deciding that Mudblood must not be a very good word. That was an understatement, judging by everyone’s reaction. She turned and saw Rachel hiding a laugh with her hand raised to her mouth. Lily glared at her, but knew what Rachel was laughing at. Lily’s fiery temper often got out of control. They followed Remus into the compartment and the two boys followed them.

“I’m James Potter,” The messy haired boy said as if she hadn’t just insulted him. “What are your names?”

“Remus Lupin.”

“Rachel Mooney.”

Lily pretended she didn’t hear him and held up her book to her face.

Rachel rolled her eyes and said. “And this is Lily.”

“Hey, that’s a flower,” James’ friend said.

“Oh, really? I hadn’t realized that,” Lily turned and said with perfect sarcasm.

“It’s all right, Lily Flower. Not everyone can be exceptionally bright,” He said. “I’m Sirius Black by the way.”

“Lily Flower?” Rachel asked, trying not to laugh.

“Don’t ever call me that got it?” Lily said, glaring at him.

“Sure, Lily Flower,” And the two boys turned and left.

“Oh, their insufferable,” Lily muttered, looking at Remus who had a strange expression on his face. “You all right?”

“Yeah. Just never thought I’d see a Black and a Potter hanging out,” Remus said.

“Why not?” Rachel asked.

“The Blacks and the Potters are prominent families in the wizarding world,” Remus explained. “The Potters are basically what the Black’s call ‘Muggle Lovers’. The Blacks are, well, practically evil. Never thought I’d see a Black getting upset over someone calling a Muggle born a Mudblood, either.”

“What is a Mudblood?” Lily asked.

“It’s a foul name for someone who was Muggle born. The Wizarding world can be very prejudiced. There are some who believe that Muggle borns aren’t equal to those who are what you called ‘Pure-Blood’.”

“That’s stupid,” The two girls said, not noticing that they had both reached up and pulled on their Best Friends necklaces at the exact same moment. Remus noticed the motion and forced himself not to laugh. He had never seen two girls act the way they did. As if they were sisters.

~*~*~
James and Sirius sat back down in their compartment, both looking exceptionally happy at having caused trouble on their first day. Severus Snape had caused it in their opinions, so they didn’t really care what the pretty redhead had thought. Well, James cared. He had noticed her immediately when she had stepped into the hall, her dark red hair falling onto her shoulders, her face turning just as red from anger, and her brilliant green eyes. But he didn’t like her. Or at least that’s what he told himself. She was a girl and he wasn’t ready to pay attention to the opposite sex.

“We’re almost there. We should be getting into out robes.” James glanced out the windows and with that the three boys changed as the bus slowed down and finally stopped. People pushed their way towards the door and out on to a tiny, dark platform. James shivered in the cold night air as he looked around for the pretty redhead. She was standing a few feet ahead of them with her red hair flying in the wind. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students, and they heard a voice yell.

“Firs’ yeas! Firs’ years over here! C’mon follow me- any more firs’ years? Mind yer step, now! Firs’ years follow me!” The voice belonged to a giant of a man whose face was almost completely hidden by a long, shaggy mane of hair, and a wild tangled beard, but you could make out his eyes, glinting like black beetles under all his hair.

Slipping and stumbling, they followed the giant down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark on either side of them, that James decided there must be trees around them. No one spoke much.

“Yeh’ll get yer fir’ sight o’ Hogwarts in a sec,” the giant yelled over his shoulder. “Jus’ round this bend here.” James wondered briefly if he should be scared of the giant. And then there was a loud “Oooh!” The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. The huge castle that was Hogwarts was perched on top of a high mountain.

“No more’n four to a boat!” the giant called as he pointed to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water. James, Sirius, and Peter climbed into one with a girl with black hair and blue eyes. They introduced themselves and heard her say quietly that her name was Emma Nagoya. James glanced around and saw Lily climb into a boat with the two students she had been with on the train. James couldn’t remember their names at all.

“Everyone in?” shouted the giant, who had his own boat due to his size. “Right then”Forward!” And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the smooth lake. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It was a bit daunting, to be honest. It was so huge. And they were getting closer and closer and closer.

They finally crowded around the huge, oak door.

“Everyone here?” the giant raised a gigantic fist and knocked once on the castle door.
Sorting Hat by novella07
Author's Notes:
Hey. Sorry it took so long to update. Tell me what you think. R/R.
Chapter Four: The Sorting Hat

The door swung open almost immediately, and Professor McGonagall stepped forward in black robes. She had a very stern face, even more stern than Lily had remembered.

“The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall,” the giant said. Lily studied the giant and decided that she liked him. He seemed almost gentle, even if he was really big.

“Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here,” McGonagall said without smiling. Her smiles seemed rare. She pulled the door open to show a huge entrance hall lit with flaming torches, a high ceiling, and a magnificent marble staircase that led to other floors.

McGonagall led them across the stone floor to the sound of hundreds of voices coming from a doorway to the right. The rest of the school was already in there. Professor McGonagall led them into a cramped room. They crowded together inside of the room and Lily, to her annoyance, found herself standing next to James Potter.

“Hey Lily Flower,” he and the other boy said at the same time.

“I told you not to call me that,” she hissed, looking away.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” McGonagall said, after glaring at James and Sirius who both smiled back at her. Lily had no idea how they managed not to cower in the wake of her glare as McGonagall continued. “The start-of-term banquet will begin soon, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your house. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because your house will be like your family while you’re here. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.”

Lily found herself hoping that James and Sirius wouldn’t be in her house. She couldn’t bear hearing ‘Lily Flower’ constantly.

“The four houses are called Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff and each of those houses has its own noble history along with outstanding witches and wizards. While you are here, your triumphs will lose house points and any rule breaking…” Lily noticed that James and Sirius grinned at that point. “…will lose you points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup.

“The Sorting Ceremony will begin in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all try to look the best you can,” her eyes lingered on James’ hair that stuck up everywhere to Peter’s cloak which wasn’t fastened correctly, “I will return when it is time. Please wait quietly.”

And McGonagall left. Lily glanced at her watch. She was starving. She hoped the Sorting Ceremony didn’t take long, and then she began to wonder how they sorted them into different houses. It was in front of the entire school. She hoped desperately that it wouldn’t be hard. She felt someone’s eyes on her and turned to see James watching her.

She glared at him and looked away just as about twenty ghosts streamed through the back wall. Lily jumped. Ghosts? She hadn’t even known that they actually existed. They were pearly white and slightly transparent. They glided across the room talking to each other and ignoring the first years. A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years.

“Welcome to Hogwarts. I am Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, the resident house ghost for Gryffindor.”

“Oh!” James Potter said. “You’re Nearly Headless Nick.”

“How can you be Nearly Headless?” Lily asked.

“I would prefer to be called Sir Nicholas…” But he didn’t get much further.

“Answer her question!” Rachel shouted, agreeing with Lily. The ghost looked a bit annoyed, but complied. He seized his left ear and pulled causing his whole head to swing off his neck and fall onto his shoulder as if it was on a hinge. Lily gasped. Looking pleased, Nearly Headless Nick flipped his head back onto his neck and floated through the opposite wall.

At that exact moment, McGonagall returned. “The Sorting Ceremony is ready to start. Now, form a line and follow me,” She turned and headed through the door. Lily got into line behind Rachel and found to her annoyance that James was directly behind her. He pulled on her red hair, and she turned and glared at him.

“Hey, Lily Flower,” he said, sending her an insufferable smile.

“Leave me alone,” Lily stated and turned as they walked out of the chamber, back across the hall, and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

Lily could never have imagined that such a place could have existed. It was lit by thousands and thousands of floating candles over four long tables where the rest of the students sat. At the top of the hall was another table where the teachers sat. McGonagall led the first years up the Great Hall so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. Lily suddenly felt the urge to run away, but she hid that and stood there yanking on her ‘Friends’ necklace. Lily glanced up at the ceiling and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. She grinned remembering that she had read about that in Hogwarts, A History. It was bewitched to look like the sky outside. Lily found it hard to believe that it didn’t just open to the heavens.

Lily looked down as Professor McGonagall set a four-legged stool in front of the first years and placed a dirty, patched hat on top of it. For a few seconds there was complete silence and then the hat broke into song. Lily’s nervousness caused her to miss most of the song, but she figured out what they were to do. They set it on their heads and it chose a house.

The whole school burst into applause at the end of the song as the hat bowed to each of the four tables and became still.

“When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted,” she said. “Black, Sirius,” The hall became silent as Sirius stepped forward and Lily heard some people murmur.

“Another Black?”

“He’ll be in Slytherin, of course.”

Lily found herself wondering where he would be put. The hat covered up almost his whole face as he listened to the voice in his head. “Another Black, eh? Hmm… All the other Black’s have been put in Slytherin. But you’re not a Slytherin, are you? Ahh…I know exactly where you belong… Gryffindor!” he shouted the last word to the entire hall. There was a moment of silence before everyone started clapping except for a select few in Slytherin, who looked confused. “Brendan, Jessica” was called up and became the first Hufflepuff. Lucy Caldwell then became a Ravenclaw and Jason Carter became the second Hufflepuff. Vincent Crabbe became the first Slytherin followed by Dale Edwards who became a Ravenclaw.

“Evans, Lily!”

“Go Lily Flower,” James hissed. Lily chose to ignore him, only because the entire school was watching her. “Lily Evans…hmm…I see courage…” Lily listened intently. She didn’t think of herself as courageous. “Don’t doubt yourself. You are the type who would lay her life down for someone she loved.” Lily wasn’t sure if that was true. “Don’t doubt yourself. Let’s see. You’re not a Slytherin or a Hufflepuff that much is obvious. Hmm…Difficult… Very Difficult. You’re smart and studious, but there’s more to you than a Ravenclaw… that leaves…Gryffindor!” Lily smiled to herself and set the hat back on the stool before taking her seat across from Sirius.

“Why, hello again Lily Flower,” Sirius grinned. She ignored him as Benjy Fenwick became a Hufflepuff followed by two Slytherins, Leah Franklin and Gregory Goyle. She waited, hoping that Rachel and Remus would be in Gryffindor. Ben Ians and Hilary Jean became Hufflepuff and then it was Remus’ turn.

“Remus Lupin…Hmm….Where to put you...A werewolf…Smart….Brave…Difficult…Very difficult…Gryffindor!” Lily was probably one of the ones who clapped the loudest as Remus sat down beside Sirius, and Matthew Markinson and Marlene McKinnon became Ravenclaws. Michael Mitchells became a Slytherin.

“Montgomery, Christina,” McGonagall called. No answer. “Montgomery, Christina.”

“Oh, that’s me. Sorry. Wasn’t paying attention,” A girl stepped forward, causing everyone to laugh. She grinned and waved at everyone as she tripped over the second step. She laughed to herself and took a seat. She was extremely pretty with dark brown hair, brown eyes, and a slim figure. “Gryffindor!” the hat shouted.

“Mooney, Rachel.”

Oh, please be a Gryffindor, Lily said, silently as Rachel placed the hat on her head. “Gryffindor!” the hat yelled. Lily clapped along with everyone else as Rachel sat down next to Remus. She would have sat by Lily, but Christina occupied that seat. Rickie Mullins became a Hufflepuff and then it was Emma Nagoya’s turn. A shy raven haired beauty with blue eyes stepped up and sat down. “Gryffindor!” the hat yelled, and Emma took a seat by Christina. Dale Parkinson then became a Slytherin and Lily recognized the fat boy that had trailed behind James and Sirius. “Pettigrew, Peter,” McGonagall called. “Gryffindor!” the hat yelled.

“Potter, James,” McGonagall called. Don’t be in Gryffindor, Lily said silently. Don’t be in Gryffindor. Don’t be in Gryffindor. “James Potter,” the hat said so that only the messy haired boy could hear.“ This isn’t too difficult. Gryffindor!” Lily groaned. Sirius grinned. And James sat down next to Peter. Edwina Rodgers became a Hufflepuff and her twin brother Ian became a Ravenclaw.

“Wouldn’t twins be in the same house?” Lily asked Remus who shook his head.

“Not always.”

“Snape, Severus.”

“Snivellus,” James said across the table to Sirius.

“Good one,” Sirius grinned. Lily immediately recognized the greasy haired boy who had called her a Mudblood on the train and decided she really didn’t like him.

“Would you leave him alone?” Lily hissed, surprising even herself. She thought that Snape was a jerk too, but that didn’t mean they should be cruel.

“Why?” James asked with a grin as Mia and Tia Spencer became Hufflepuffs and Phoebe Truns and Natalie Unrig became Slytherins. There were only two girls left. An Emmaline Vance who became a Ravenclaw and Amy Waters who became a Slytherin. “Earth to Evans?” he waved a hand in front of her face. Relieved to hear something other than Lily Flower, she turned to see him watching her.

“What?” she asked.

“You never answered my question. Why should I leave him alone?”

“Because it’s cruel, Potter,” Lily answered as the rest of the new Gryffindors watched the argument in amusement. Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet and was beaming at the students with his arm opened wide. Lily studied him interestedly. He looked like one of those fictional wizards you read about in books with his half-moon glasses, long crooked nose, and flowing silver hair, beard, and mustache. He looked wise, like someone you would follow to the end of the earth and back. Lily liked him immediately.

“Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Now is not the time for speech making. That can wait until after you eat as I am sure you are starving. So, do eat!” And then he sat down.

Lily looked away from Dumbledore and her mouth dropped. The dishes in front of them had become covered with all types of food that you could even imagine.

Nearly Headless Nick sat down next to Potter. “So-- New Gryffindors. I do hope you’ll help us win the house championship this year. The Gryffindors have won for the past six years. I love shoving it in the Bloody Baron’s face,” he said, “He’s the Slytherin ghost.” Lily looked over at the Slytherin table and saw a horrible ghost sitting there with blank staring eyes, a gaunt face, and robes stained with silver blood.

“How’d he get covered in blood?” Sirius asked.

“I’ve never asked,” the ghost said. “Goodness, all the first years say the same thing. Every year.”

The ghost moved to talk to the seventh years. When everyone had eaten as much as they could, the remains vanished, leaving the plates sparkling clean, and then the desserts appeared: Blocks of ice cream in every flavor, apple pies, treacle tarts, chocolate éclairs and jam doughnuts, trifle, strawberries, Jell-o, rode pudding…and the list went on and on. Lily helped herself to some strawberries as the conversation turned to the classes they were taking this year: Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Potions, History of Magic, and Herbology.

Lily was starting to feel warm and sleepy and couldn’t wait to find their dorm rooms. She looked up at the high table where the teachers sat as the desserts disappeared, and as Dumbledore got to his feet, the hall fell silent.

“Ahem”just a few start-of-term notices. First years should note that the forest on the grounds if forbidden to all students. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that,” He looked at certain Gryffindors as he said that. “I have also been asked by our new caretaker, Mr. Filch, that no magic be used between classes in the corridors. Finally, Quidditch trials will be held in the second term week. See Madam Hooch if you are interested in playing for the house teams. Now, off you trot!”

The Gryffindor first years stood up looking confused as two Gryffindor prefects raised their hands.

“First years over here!” a girl said. “I’m Jackie Marne and this is Kingsley Shacklebolt. We’re going to show you to the Gryffindor common room and your dorm rooms. Come with us please,” Jackie and Kingsley led them out of the Great Hall and up the marble staircase. Lily smiled when she noticed that the people in the portraits along the corridors whispered and pointed as they passed or when Kingsley led them through hidden doorways and hanging tapestries. They climbed more staircases, and Lily started wondering how long of a walk it was and how she would ever manage to find her way in this huge castle. Kingsley and Jackie stopped suddenly and a bundle of walking sticks threw themselves at Kingsley.

“Peeves,” Jackie told the first years. “A poltergeist.”

“Show yourself, Peeves,” Kingsley said, in an annoyed voice. A loud, rude sound answered. It reminded her of the air being let out of a balloon.

“We’ll go get the Bloody Baron!” Jackie yelled, and there was a loud pop and a little man with wicked, dark eyes and a wide mouth appeared, floating cross-legged in the air, holding the walking sticks.

“Ickle Firsties! What fun!” Peeves shouted.

“Go away or the Baron’ll hear about this!” Kingsley said, causing Peeves to stick out his tongue before he zoomed away.

“You want to be careful around Peeves,” Jackie suggested. “He only listens to the Bloody Barons and he’s a heck of a lot of trouble. Oh, here we are.”

They had reached an end of a corridor. Lily looked around for a door, but there was none. Instead, there was a portrait of a very fat woman in a pink silk dress.

“Password?” she said.

“Finite,” Kingsley said and the portrait swung forward revealing a round hole in the wall. They scrambled through it and found themselves in the Gryffindor common room. Lily looked around in awe at the red and gold furnishings. The room was cozy with squashy armchairs.

“This way, boys!” Kingsley shouted leading the boys to a spiral staircase on the left.

“Bye, Lily Flower!” James shouted causing Lily to roll her eyes. Jackie grinned.

“Don’t worry. They grow up eventually,” she said. “This way.”

She led them through a spiral staircase on the left. They went to the top of the staircase, and Lily realized that they were in one of the towers. Lily directed them into a room with the words First Years on it. Inside, there were four four-poster beds hung with deep red velvet curtains.

All four girls found that their trunks were already brought up. They found their trunks and chose a bed. Lily’s was next to Rachel’s with Christina and Emma across from them.

“What’s your name again?” Christina asked the two girls. “Well, I know, your name since the guys won’t stop calling you that name,” she said to Lily.

“Rachel Mooney,” Rachel supplied. “And you?”

“Christina Montgomery and this is Emma Nagoya,” Christina said. The four girls sat on the edge of their beds, pushing the curtains out of their faces, and found themselves talking a great part of the night away as young girls often do.

~*~*~

James and Sirius grinned when they saw the pretty redhead roll her eyes in annoyance at the nickname. They decided to call her that many times over the next seven years as Kingsley led them up to their room and they chose two of the four beds.

“Remus, right?” Sirius asked, pointing at Remus Lupin who nodded, “Nice to meet you.”

Peter had already kind of become their friend in the fact that he followed them everywhere, but they had yet to talk to the boy who had been with Lily and Rachel. It took a few minutes of peppering Remus with questions before Remus began to talk, and the four guys quickly became friends. Their friendship would be one that would last for ever, if it hadn’t been for the dreaded war that was only just beginning.

~*~*~

Lily found herself staring out the window of the Gryffindor Tower. Her eyes watching as two owls swooped off into the dark skies. She glanced at the lake, which rippled slightly but otherwise stayed still. She couldn’t wait for tomorrow. Even with those two annoying boys calling her “Lily Flower”, everything seemed to be going good. She had found a world which she truly belonged.
The Marauders by novella07
Chapter Five: The Marauders

The next week passed quickly, and Lily found herself happier than she had ever been. Hogwarts was an unusual castle, from its stairs to its doors, portraits, and armor. Everything was hard to find as everything moved.

Argus Filch, the new caretaker, owned a cat called Mrs. Norris, a scrawny, dust-colored creature with bulging lamp like eyes that matched Filch’s. Mrs. Norris patrolled the corridors alone, and if a student broke a rule in front of her, Mr. Filch would appear two seconds later. Filch was probably the only person in the castle who knew all the secret passageways.

And the classes themselves were absolutely amazing, Lily decided. She had always loved learning, and now she was learning about amazing things that were illogical and unexplainable. She had grown up in a home where her father had talked constantly about logic and reasoning.

The most boring class was History of Magic, taught by the only ghost teacher Professor Binns. Lily had thought that a ghost teacher would have been interesting, but Binns had a monotonous voice that guaranteed to put even the best of students asleep. He droned on and on while only a few students bothered to take notes. Basically Lily and Remus.

One of Lily’s favorite classes, Charms, was taught by Professor Flitwick, a tiny wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk. .

Lily’s second favorite class was Potions taught by Professor Slughorn who reminded her of a walrus. After she had found that she had an aptitude for his subject, she had become one of his favorites and he had quickly invited her to join the stupid “Slug Club”.

Defense against the Dark Arts was taught by Professor Parker. He was all right, Lily thought, but a bit paranoid.

And then there was Transfiguration, Lily’s worst class. Professor McGonagall was the teacher and she was extremely strict. Potter and Black had already managed to get on her bad side…or good side, depending on how you looked at it.

Lily remembered the first class. Lily, Christina, Emma, and Rachel had sat in the second row near some Ravenclaws as McGonagall began teaching. Lily glanced back to see where Potter and Black were to discover that they hadn’t made it to class yet. (She didn’t know why she even bothered to pay attention.) Neither had Remus or Peter, which wasn’t a surprise considering they had already started to become close friends with Potter and Black.

Lily hadn’t expected that to happen either. Remus was so different from them, but Black and Potter had immediately become best of friends with him. Lily and Rachel still talked to Remus sometimes, whenever he wasn’t with Black and Potter.

“Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous…” McGonagall began, but then she paused as a voice interrupted her.

“Professor! So sorry we’re late!” It was Potter’s voice. Lily turned as Potter took a seat in the very back followed by Black, Remus, and Peter.

“And why are you late?” McGonagall asked through thin lips.

“Lost,” Sirius said, but his tone of voice belied what he said. Christina snorted, glancing at Rachel who couldn’t help but laugh also.

“As I was saying, anyone messing around in my class will be asked to leave and not come back,” She looked directly at the four boys who all tried to have the most innocent looks possible on their faces. Truth was, McGonagall couldn’t tell them to never come back because this was a required course at least until sixth year. After she said that, she changed the desk into a pig and back.

Lily found herself looking forward to being able to do Transfiguration. To her disappointment, she was absolutely terrible at it. It easily became her worst class. And, to her annoyance, it became Potter and Black’s best class. Of course. She had no idea why they bothered her so much other than the fact that they still called her ‘Lily Flower’ or Evans. They loved to annoy her, but they also loved to annoy Rachel, Christina, and Emma.

The one thing that Lily hated about the Wizarding World was the prejudices that came with it. Severus Snape called her a Mudblood more times than she could possibly count. Lily responded by being kind. When his bag split in the middle of the hall, she bent down and helped him pick up his books. Lily had a pretty good idea that someone had split his bag for him. Like Potter and Black. When Potter and Black picked on him, Lily was one of the few who didn’t laugh, although sometimes she really wanted to.

She didn’t understand what the big deal was about Muggle-borns and Purebloods, but she didn’t let it get to her. Rachel found it hilarious that she didn’t mind being called a Mudblood, but the name “Lily Flower” caused her to turn red in the face and start screaming. Lily didn’t understand it either, but that was how it was.

To be truthful, she could kind of understand it. She had a crush on James Potter. There. She had admitted it. She didn’t know why. Well, he was very cute (for an eleven-year-old, at least) and funny. But she wished he would stop picking on the other kids and stop teasing her.

~*~*~

James Potter sat down next to Sirius at the lunch table after Transfiguration and automatically started piling food on his plate until Sirius was the only one who had more food. Remus watched them in amusement as they both shoved it down as if they hadn’t eaten in months.

“You’re going to get sick, eating like that.” Remus said logically, holding up his Charms book and laughing. Peter watched, wondering why he was the fat one. He didn’t eat nearly as much as James and Sirius. He shrugged, finding he didn’t care much. He could easily be jealous of his best friends, but he chose not to be.

“Course not,” Sirius said in-between bites. Sirius found it annoying, but he had been brought up with manners as he was from one of the wealthiest wizarding families.

“We’re very talented,” James nodded, slowing down only slightly so that they could talk.

“Sure,” Remus said with a tone that said clearly that he didn’t believe him. James looked up just as Lily came in with Rachel, Christina, and Emma.

“What is it with her? Did you see the way she helped Snivellus with his things? And he calls her Mudblood,” James said, annoyed.

“That’s how Evans is,” Sirius said. “She only hates us for some odd reason.”

“Actually, I doubt she hates anyone,” Remus spoke up. He was the only one who was on friendly speaking terms with Lily. James shrugged. It was only two weeks into the term, and Lily had already become known as one of the nicest girls in school (except when it came to James or Sirius), even among the seventh years that rarely paid attention to first years. James and Sirius had also become well known as the world’s biggest troublemakers, even if they were only first years.

They had spent their first two weeks at school pranking people. Especially Slytherins, much to Lily Evans’ annoyance. They had already died Snape’s hair purple, causing it to last for a day. They had also managed to rip Snape’s bag using a second year spell and poured black ink over his books using levitating charms (which they hadn’t been taught yet).They had caused many disruptions in McGonagall’s class and had not been kicked out as she had promised during first class, and Sirius and James had their snoring routine in Binn’s class down also.

“We should do a prank tomorrow,” James decided, but Remus shook his head.

“I have to go for a couple of days. My mum’s taken ill,” Remus said, looking down at his plate. “I’m leaving tonight.”

“And you’re just telling us now? How sick is she?” James asked.

“She’ll be fine,” Remus said and shrugged. “I have to head to the library. See you.” Remus stood up and left.

“Do you have a feeling he’s not telling us everything?” James asked, staring at the back of one of his best friends.

“Yeah,” Sirius said. “We’ll find out later. Don’t worry, James.” Then he grinned. “What do you say we prank the Gryffindor ladies?” He was only referring to the first year girls and James grinned.

“All right. What should we do?”

Sirius looked down, thoughtfully. “Hmm…”
~*~*~

“Lily Flower!” James called the next afternoon as three of the four Gryffindor first years ran up to the girls. Remus had left the night before (or so they thought). In truth he had been taken under the Whomping Willow for the night which led to the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade. Now, he was hiding in the Hospital Wing until he was better from the painful transformation. But they wouldn’t know that for about another year. “Lily Flower!”

Lily sighed as James came up from behind her. He stood directly behind her, reaching for his wand, when she whirled around. He took that same hand and ran it through his hair trying to hide the movement.

“What do you want, Potter?” she asked. Rachel turned around also and grinned as her eyes moved from one of them to the other.

“We decided to run something by you,” Sirius said, quickly. James glanced over, trying to figure out what he was talking about. “We came up with a nickname for ourselves and wanted to find out what the four of you charming ladies thought.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and ignored him. Lily started to follow suit, so James reached for his wand again and froze as Lily turned back again.

“Why don’t you leave us alone?” she asked. James moved his hand into his pocket and sent her a teasing grin.

“How could we leave our darling little flower alone?” he asked.

“And to the name!” Sirius said. “We are now officially…we as in James, Remus, Peter, and I…the Marauders.”

James glanced at him, noticing that he was pretending to check out a certain Ravenclaw first year while slowing down so he was directly behind James. James realized what he was doing and carefully ran a hand through his hair. He managed to distract Lily with the movement that annoyed her so much long enough for Sirius to hex two of the four girls. The two they had wanted to hex.

“Well, you see...” James began.

“That’s a stupid name!” Lily said. “And why do you always do that to your hair? It’s already messy enough…” her voice trailed off as the boys started running.

“Bye, girls!” James yelled.

“I thought it was a good name…” Sirius said as they ran, knowing in a second the girls would be furious. They had been hit with a tripping hex. Sure enough, they soon heard Lily’s rather shrill voice. “Potter!” she yelled.

James laughed as they slowed. “You know what? I think the Marauders is the perfect name for us.”
We are the Marauders by novella07
Author's Notes:
Personally, my favorite chapter. R/R. Tell me wut u think. Almsot finished with first year. Yay
Chapter Six: We are the Marauders

“I hate them! I hate them! I hate them!” Lily announced as she and Rachel tripped for the three hundred and forty sixth time that day.

“We’ll get them back, Lils. Don’t worry,” Emma announced. The past two weeks had been amazing for her. She had come out of her shy shell, as had Remus Lupin.

Lily tripped once more before pushing herself on the chair at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. “I can’t stand them!”

“Oh, dear. She hates us,” Sirius Black’s voice came from behind her. Sirius and James stood a foot away from her.

Lily whirled around but didn’t stand up knowing that she would only fall on the ground. “Yes, Black. I do hate you.”

“Oh, dear Lily Flower. We can’t have that. Poor Remus was wrong.”

“Where is Remus?” Emma asked, finally noticing that Remus was missing.

“His mother’s sick,” Sirius answered.

“Wrong about what?” Lily asked.

“Remus said that Lily Flower…” James began but was interrupted by Sirius.

“Except he didn’t say Lily Flower. Don’t worry, Evans.”

“…would never ever hate anyone,” James continued as if he hadn’t been interrupted. “I must tell him he how very wrong he was.”

Lily rolled her eyes and turned away from him.

“Go on and ignore us, Lily Flower,” James called, and they took their normal seat a few chairs down.

“Ahhhh!” Lily groaned, wanting to scream. But she didn’t, knowing that it would cause a scene. “I wish they would just shut up for once…”

Christina grinned. “I know what we should do to get them back,” she said. Lily, Rachel, and Emma all turned to her as Christina explained.

The four girls left the Great Hall early for once and hurried up to the common room. No one was there yet.

“This way.” Christina waved them over to the left staircase, which led to the boys dorms. They quickly found the first year dorms and grinned as Lily locked the door behind them.

“Remind me why we’re here again?” Emma asked. James Potter’s things were by far the only ones even close to clean, while Sirius’ things were completely the opposite.

“Okay. We have to find things that they’re bound to touch before tomorrow morning.” Christina spoke up.

“Potter’s chest,” Lily said, pointing. Emma pointed her wand and muttered the curse that could only be removed a week after the person was cursed.

“Remus’ book,” Christina pointed at the Transfiguration book.

“Do you think we should curse Remus?” Lily asked.

“We have to. He’s one of them,” Rachel said pointedly as she cursed Sirius Black’s mirror. It was well-known that he was probably the vainest eleven-year-old boy ever born.

“And Peter,” Lily said.

“His sweets,” Rachel agreed, pointing to the sweets next to his bed. And then the four girls left quickly.

~*~*~
The Marauders minus one hurried up to their room after dinner, laughing about their prank on the girls. They had decided to search for the kitchens, but they needed James’ invisibility cloak. Peter collapsed on his bed and reached for a chocolate frog while James moved to open his chest to find his cloak and Sirius grabbed the mirror like he always did first thing upon entering his room.

“Do you think we should wait until Remus is back?” James asked as the door opened and Remus walked through.

“Don’t worry. I’m back,” Remus said. “What terrible thing are we doing now?”

Sirius opened his mouth to answer, but nothing came out. Remus studied him curiously as Sirius tried to speak, but couldn’t. He pounded his own back as if to make a voice come out, but nothing happened. Peter decided to tell Remus instead, but when he opened his mouth, he found that he had the same problem as Sirius.

“Can’t tell me, eh?” Remus asked.

“We’re going to the…” James touched the chest and immediately his voice faltered. He touched his throat as if hoping the voice would come out.

Remus grinned. “Cat got your tongue?” James glared at him. “Right. Not funny. Sorry. Guess we should just stay here. I have plenty of studying to do.” And he reached for his Transfiguration book.

Sirius shook his head.

“I’m just study…”Remus picked the book up, and his voice was gone as well. He opened his mouth to speak, but of course, nothing came out. Sirius grabbed some parchment and wrote something on it and passed it to James.

It was them, wasn’t it?

James nodded, annoyed anew as he turned to run down the stairs as Sirius wrote something to Remus that told him about their prank on the girls. James found the girls sitting by the fire working on their essays. He yanked on a strand of red hair to get Lily’s attention.

Lily turned and smiled. “Why, hello Potter,” she smiled.

He pointed upstairs.

“What? The silent treatment. I thought I should be the one to give you the silent treatment. Not that I’m complaining.” Lily shrugged. His only response was to glare at her.

“James Potter. Speechless. Never thought I would see the day,” Rachel spoke up, earning a glare in her direction. James reached for Lily’s parchment and wrote on the top of it. Counter curse.

“What are you talking about, Potter?” Lily asked rather innocently. He could do nothing but glare at her. She laughed softly and to James’ annoyance, all he could think about was how great the sound of her laugh was. He groaned inwardly and pushed those thoughts away. He was still at the age where girls were gross. “Sorry, Potter. No counter curse. It’ll last for a week. Sorry. Wait. No. I’m not sorry at all.” She turned away from him. James yanked on her red hair and reached for her parchment.

The four of you are dead. Lily laughed as she turned to him. “What can you do to us? You don’t learn silent spells until sixth year, Potter.” James glared at her, turned, and stormed up the stairs leaving the four girls laughing hysterically.

No counter curse. He wrote down on a piece of parchment and handed it to Sirius. We have to wait it out.

Sirius stomped his foot like a two year old. It was Friday night, and they wouldn’t be able to talk until 7:00, the next Friday night.
~*~*~
Day One:

James Potter woke up Saturday morning when it was nearly eleven. He stood up and glanced at Sirius who was asleep. He opened his mouth to yell Sirius’ name when he remembered. His voice was gone. He groaned, but of course nothing came out. He glanced over at Remus, who was sitting at a desk studying. Peter was also asleep. This was torture, he decided. Not being able to speak had to be the worst thing that had ever happened. He didn’t even want to think about classes next week.

He poked Remus on the shoulder and grabbed a spare piece of parchment.

This is going to be the longest week ever… he wrote. Remus read it and nodded in agreement. It was definitely going to be a long week.

The four boys had fallen into a routine. It was as if they had known each other forever instead of two simple weeks. Remus was always the first one up followed by James then Peter then Sirius. They would head down to breakfast, eat together, hang out during breaks, and go to classes (of course, they were planning pranks almost the entire time). Every Saturday was the same (the two that they had had at least). Remus woke up first and studied. James woke up next and waited for Peter and Sirius to wake up.

James went down stairs and found Lily sitting there. He grinned. She had cursed him, and now she would have to face the consequences. He sat down across from her and stared. Lily was working on her Transfiguration essay. He had found out the hard way that Lily hated studying in groups. She looked up.

“What do you want, Potter?”

He pointed at his mouth.

“I’m working. Now go away,” But James wasn’t planning on leaving. The Marauders had decided the night before. The girls were going to regret cursing them. Sirius woke up an hour later and found Rachel at the lake, sat down, and stared. Remus and Peter didn’t come down the entire day except for meals. And so day one went by.


Day Two:

Lily groaned. The day before had been terrible. She hadn’t reckoned on how annoying James Potter could be. Even without his voice. She woke early deciding to leave the common room long before Potter would even be awake. How could he bother her if she couldn’t be found?

To her annoyance, Potter was already awake. He grinned when he saw her, and she knew that if he could talk he would have already shouted her name as loud as possible. He walked up to her and put an arm around her shoulders and handed her a note.

Where are we going today, Lily Flower?

“Go away, Potter,” She moaned.

He shook his head silently and pointed his wand at the paper causing more words to appear.

If I’m cursed then so are you. You chose to mess with the infamous Marauders.

Lily wanted to scream.



Day 3:


“This is terrible,” Lily moaned as she sat down by Rachel. Sirius had been doing the same annoying things to Rachel, but Rachel didn’t mind as much.

“They could do a lot worse,” Rachel shrugged. Those words had barely come out of her mouth when Sirius came up to them and squeezed in-between them. Rachel rolled her eyes.

Lily sighed. “You were saying?” James Potter came and sat on Lily’s other side. In front of them Emma sat next to Remus who sat next to Christina who sat next to Peter. Lily had to practically shout across the table if she wanted to talk to Christina, the way they were sitting, and vice-versa. Lily rolled her eyes.

“Go away!” she moaned to James, who grinned. Lily bent back and tapped Rachel’s shoulder.

“The old standby,” She said. “Ethan.” Only Rachel could possibly understand. At their old Muggle school, they had known this guy named Ethan Walls who was the most annoying prick ever to cross the planet and also had a major crush on Rachel. As major as a ten year old can have, of course. He had followed them everywhere, and when he had gotten particularly annoying, they started talking about girl stuff (like PMS, even though they were still waiting for their first period).

“Oh, gosh,” Rachel moaned, suddenly clutching her stomach. Sirius and James both looked over at them in worry.

“Oh, Rach. You all right?” Lily asked worriedly as Christina and Emma shot her confused looks.

“I…don’t know,” She moaned.

“Oh. Is it…you know?” she asked. They boys stared. James shot her a look as if to figure out what they were talking about.

“Yes. Cramps,” Rachel moaned and the guys’ eyes widened. Sirius clamped his hands over his ears as Lily tried not to laugh.

“Oh. It’s the time of the month, huh?” Emma said, comprehension gliding over her face. James’ mouth dropped in horror at the change in conversation. Lily noticed with immense satisfaction that Remus and Peter had already disappeared. Two more to go. Christina looked plain confused.

“Am I the only one who hasn’t started yet?” she asked with a disappointed frown. Sirius jumped up and ran to follow Remus and Peter. If James could have spoken, he would have been able to stop Sirius, but as it was he just sat there in pure torture.

“Do you have a pad with you?” Emma asked seriously.

“No.” Rachel groaned.

“Here.” Lily reached into her bag to pull one out that wasn’t there, and James was gone. They waited until he left, and then burst out laughing.



Day 4:


They had McGonagall’s class. James knew that they would end up in detention by the end of the period. They had agreed through passed notes that they would cease all disruptions in that class as to be less noticeable, which meant they had to be on time.

They came to class a minute before the bell and took their seats. McGonagall opened her mouth automatically to reprimand them at the beginning of the class, but paused when she realized that they weren’t doing anything. Sirius tossed a paper at James.

I HATE GIRLS!

I know. James wrote back, and then tossed a glare in Lily’s direction, his cheeks burning at the conversation they had started the day before. In a few years, it wouldn’t have bothered him as much, but as an eleven-year-old boy, it scared him to death. Lily glared back, but she looked like she was in pain. He wondered briefly why that was but was soon distracted.

“Potter?” McGonagall called. “Would you like to tell us the incantation?” James shrugged. “I’ll take that as a yes,” McGonagall said, coldly. James shook his head. “Do you know the answer?” she asked. He nodded. Remus elbowed him, and he shook his head again. McGonagall stared. “You seem to be having some confusion, Mr. Potter. Give me the incantation,” she commanded. James grabbed a piece of paper, wrote it down, stood up, and handed it to her. “Why won’t you say anything, Potter?” McGonagall asked. He shrugged. “Ten points from Gryffindor,” He turned to go back to his seat and tossed Lily the dirtiest look he could muster. She just smiled.

After class, Lily and Rachel ran to the restroom, and Lily collapsed next to the wall, clutching her stomach. “It’s payback. Retribution. Torture,” Lily moaned as she experienced her first ever period. She grabbed a Midol from her purse. Her mum had given her a stash of pads, tampons, and Midol to help her. Midol worked just as well as the potions that they used in the wizarding world. She conjured up a glass of water and swallowed the pill. “It’s because of what we said yesterday,” she groaned dramatically. “Never again.”


Day 5:


The fifth day went the same. Teachers became angry when the boys didn’t say anything and took of points. Sirius was the only one who managed to fake ill.


Day 6:


It was the sixth day. James grinned. Two more days and they would be free. He could speak again. Who would have ever known how much torture it would be to not be able to speak?


Day 7:


The final day had arrived. At 6:30, the Marauders positioned themselves around the girls and waited. 6:32…6:35…6:47…6:50…6:53…6:55…6:58…6:59…

“Guess what?” Sirius said in his annoying voice as the clock changed to seven. All four girls looked up at them.

“You messed with the wrong guys,” James said, relief washing through him at the ability to speak.

“We are the Marauders…” Sirius added.

“…and no one messes with the Marauders,” James finished. “Night.” And the four boys headed up to their room to plan their next prank.
Chapter 7: Payback is Sweet by novella07
Chapter Seven: Payback is Sweet

“It has to be good,” Sirius said.

“It has to cause lasting torture for at least a week,” James added.

“For once, I agree,” Remus said, nodding. Peter didn’t say a word. He hadn’t yet.

“Maybe we should let them be. They might do worse next time,” Peter said.

“Peter… Peter… Peter,” Sirius sighed. “We are the Marauders. Have you forgotten? We do not take pranks lying down. We prank back. We…”

“Okay, okay,” Peter mumbled.

“So, ideas?” Sirius said. Peter looked preoccupied. He wasn’t one to give suggestions in the first place, to be honest. He was a great friend, when it came down to it. At least he had been for the past few weeks. But, he was a bit shy and hard to get to know. He seemed pathetic at first glance, but the other Marauders knew there was something more to him than that.

Remus looked thoughtful as did Sirius and James.

“I can’t think!” Sirius moaned suddenly. “All of my ideas are gone! What will we do? We will die a painful death of non-ideas. People will torture us with pranks while we roll in the mud… We will…”

“Don’t be such a drama queen.” James rolled his eyes.

“Drama king, duh!” Sirius rolled his eyes too.

“Their girls…” Remus said.

“And we thought you were the smart Marauder,” James said, sarcastically.

“What is the thing that is most important to girls?” Remus asked.

“Are we supposed to know that?” James asked after thinking for a short moment.

“Their looks,” Remus said, as if it was obvious. It wasn’t quite as obvious as it should have been. “They way their hair is, their face, you know…”

Sirius and James gave identical evil grins.
~*~*~

“We are dead. We are dead. We are dead,” Christina moaned after the boys had disappeared up the stairs.

“That and PMS?” Lily groaned, clutching her stomach. “Great.”

Rachel smiled sympathetically and Emma sighed.

“What do you think their going to do to us?” she asked, softly.

“Who knows!” Lily said. “I think I’m going to leave my homework for tomorrow. Night.”

She stood up and headed up the stairs.

~*~*~
“They will never mess with us again,” James said confidently the next morning as they headed downstairs. The magic they would use was slightly higher than their level, but James and Sirius were confident that it would work. They were the Marauders, after all. The plan was to curse them until they agreed to not prank them back for the rest of the year. And the curse would be bad all right. James could hardly wait.

And then Lily came downstairs as he hid in the corner under his invisibility cloak. Sirius waited with him. Her red hair was tucked behind her ear as she read off of a piece of parchment and took a seat in front of the fire. Why was she up so early? James wondered. He knew why they were, but…

Lily smiled and started writing on the parchment. He wondered what she was writing. It looked like a letter of some type. He wondered if she would mention him. Wait. Why did he care if she mentioned him? He hated girls. Eww! Gross! But she looked so pretty today.

Sirius elbowed him bringing him out of his thoughts and he bit his lip to keep from groaning as he pointed his wand at her and muttered the curse. It would not show until they had cursed the fourth girl. Nearly twenty minutes later, Rachel came downstairs.

“Lily!” Rachel called her blonde hair flying behind her. “Are you writing a letter to Petunia?”

Petunia, James thought. Was that her sister? What, did Lily’s parents have an obsession with plants or something?

“Yes,” Lily nodded. “She finally wrote me back. She has a boyfriend.”

“A boyfriend?” Rachel grinned. “Oh my goodness. Who?”

“Remember Darren Mitchells.”

Rachel snorted. “The boy who always dressed up as Darth Vader for Halloween?”

“The same,” Lily nodded. James elbowed Sirius, waiting for Sirius to mutter the curse. Sirius smiled sheepishly and pointed his wand.

“Eww…”

“Pet says he’s not weird anymore,” Lily shrugged.

“I was starting to worry that he had a crush on Darth Vader. With all of those shirts and things. Oh my goodness…”

“Uhh…I know.”

“Darth Vader?” Christina came down the steps next. “Who is that?”

“He’s from a Muggle movie,” Rachel answered.

“A movie?”

“Don’t worry about it, Chris,” Lily said, signing her name at the bottom of the parchment as James pointed at the third girl and they backed up towards the door. Emma came down a second later.

“Hey! What do you think those idiot boys are going to do to us?” Emma asked, sitting down by Christina.

Sirius opened his mouth to argue with her, but James shot him a look. Sirius pointed his wand and murmured the curse and then the four boys ran for it as they heard the shrieks of the girls.

“Potter!” Lily yelled. James and Sirius turned at the top of the stairs and had to hold on to the banister to stop from falling. Their hair had been dyed a bright pink and their face was covered with large purple pimples. “Get back down here!” Not to mention that her face was almost as red as her hair normally was. She started heading up towards them. James pushed Sirius hard and they started to run.

“Where are you going?” they heard Rachel ask Lily.

“To kill them,” Lily said, as if it was obvious.

“We’re coming too!” Rachel added.

Sirius and James ran into their room, slammed it shut, and locked it while hiding the invisibility cloak.

“Alohamora,” They heard one of the girls say.

“Did it work?” Remus asked as the door swung open and four angry girls stepped inside. Peter couldn’t help it. He snorted. James bit his lip to keep from laughing. Remus smiled sheepishly and Sirius let out a bark like a dog.

“Fix it now, Potter,” Lily said. Her face had now reached a red that was far brighter than her own hair color normally was, but at the moment it was bright pink. Her green eyes were blazing in anger and her face was covered in large purple pimples. Her lips were pressed so close together that she looked reminiscent of McGonagall. Why did she always yell at him? James wondered. She never spoke to Sirius even when he referred to her as Lily Flower. She never yelled at Remus as he was her friend. And she barely even noticed Peter except to toss him pitying glances. But if he said a word to her, she would end up yelling at him.

A bright light and all eyes turned to Sirius who was holding a camera. “Sorry,” He shrugged, unapologetically. “You all look so funny. I couldn’t help it.”

“Change us back!” Emma said, her normally shy countenance completely gone. “Now!”

“Nagoya!” Sirius grinned. “Didn’t know you could yell like that?”

Christina was studying her hair with a bemused smile. “My hair looks all right pink,” She said. “Although I wouldn’t mind if you got rid of the pimples.”

Rachel looked as if she couldn’t decide whether to scream or laugh.

“Potter. I swear I will kill you if you don’t change me back now,” Lily said, her hands resting on her slim hips.

“No can do,” James said, sitting down on his bed. Sirius shivered under Lily’s angry glare. “The hex will stay until…” he paused.

“Until what?” Emma snapped. “Get rid of it. I don’t care how.”

“You have to swear that you won’t prank back for the rest of the year,” Remus said. “The moment you swear, we will lift the curse. And we’ll be even.”

Lily’s mouth dropped. “I don’t believe you,” she said.

“Fine,” Emma said at the exact same time. “I swear I won’t prank you back.” The moment the words left her mouth, James pointed his wand at her and her hair darkened and her pimples disappeared into nothingness.

“I swear I won’t prank you back,” Rachel mumbled and the process was repeated. Christina repeated the exact same words, but Lily just stood there, staring at James. He grinned. He loved having the upper hand.

“Fine,” she sighed in defeat. “I sweat I won’t prank you back.”

“Payback is sweet,” James said that night after bed as they taped up the pictures of the four girls on the walls in Gryffindor tower. They had already posted them all over the rest of the school.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56899