Safe Haven by NikkiSue
Summary: After a conflicting life as the son of a famous and feared Death Eater, Draco Malfoy has turned spy for the Order. After things go awry, his emergency portkey transports him to his Safe House which turns out to be quite the surprise! New bonds are formed and romance is in bloom. This all goes to show that war indeed brings out the best in people — and the worst.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 35039 Read: 72449 Published: 08/27/06 Updated: 06/26/10

1. Chapter 1- Taking the Bait by NikkiSue

2. Chapter 2 by NikkiSue

3. Chapter 3 - An Adjustment by NikkiSue

4. Chapter 4 - A Bit Awkward by NikkiSue

5. Chapter 5 - You Have My Attention by NikkiSue

6. Chapter 6 - Go Take A Walk, Hermione . . . NOW. by NikkiSue

7. Chapter 7 - Building Bridges by NikkiSue

8. Chapter 8 - Finishing Touches by NikkiSue

9. Chapter 9 - Organized Chaos by NikkiSue

10. Chapter 10 - You're Not Alone by NikkiSue

11. Chapter 11 - Getting Reaquainted by NikkiSue

12. Chapter 12 - Can We Talk? by NikkiSue

13. Chapter 13 - Twitterpated by NikkiSue

14. Chapter 14 - Busted! by NikkiSue

15. Chapter 15 - Just Act Normal . . . by NikkiSue

16. Chapter 16 - Confessions and Legillimens by NikkiSue

17. Chapter 17 - Through Draco's Eyes by NikkiSue

18. Chapter 18 - Shady Secrets and Yummy Desserts by NikkiSue

19. Chapter 19 - Fancy a Walk? by NikkiSue

20. Chapter 20 - Awkward Explanations by NikkiSue

21. Chapter 21 - Calm, Cool and Collected by NikkiSue

Chapter 1- Taking the Bait by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
Before I forget, I want to send a HUGE thank you to my favorite grammar goddess and beta, Rita! You rock my literary world, even though you are more than half my age... And, as they all say, everything but the plot belongs to JKR. If she chooses to share her wealth, however, she can find me at the beta boards.
Chapter 1- Taking the Bait

Hermione Granger awoke to the sound of a persistent tapping on her bedroom window. She moved the book she had been reading off of her chest and pulled the curtain away revealing a bird “ more specifically, Dumbledore’s phoenix, Fawkes.

Hermione quickly opened the window and eagerly took the scroll tied to Fawkes’ leg. Her eyebrows rose slowly as she read what her headmaster had written. She felt the phoenix watch, waiting for her reply.

Hermione’s fingers gripped the letter in her hands and skimmed the words aloud.

“A meeting regarding a certain student…” muttered Hermione softly. “Why is he requesting I attend? I’m not even a member of the Order!”

She put the letter down on her modest desk which was otherwise cluttered with notes and read it over slowly and deliberately:

Miss Granger,
Your presence is requested at a meeting regarding a certain student, scheduled for tomorrow evening at five o’clock. Someone will be at your home to take you there as we must keep the location a secret for reasons I am sure you will soon come to understand.

Kindly send your reply with Fawkes. Have a pleasant evening!

A. Dumbledore


Hermione hastily scribbled her reply and tied it securely on Fawkes’ extended leg. After watching him fly away, she walked over to her bed and patted a large mass of fur which was purring away in dreamland.

“Well, Crookshanks, the next twenty-four hours are not going to pass by quickly enough. The suspense is already killing me!”

No sooner had she turned around in the direction of a comfortable chair did she hear more tapping on the window.

Confused, she returned to find a snowy white barn owl “ Hedwig!

She approached Harry Potter’s owl and patted her head gently as she retrieved yet another small roll of parchment. She read it quickly:

Hermione,

I’ve just received a strange letter from Dumbledore ” did you get one too?

Please reply quickly
Harry


Hermione wrote him a brief note.

Harry:

I’ve gotten one as well. I wonder if Ron received one… I suppose I will be seeing you sooner rather than later! I can barely wait until we see each other tomorrow and find out what’s going on!

H.G.


She attached the letter to the owl’s leg and sent her on her way.

It will be good to see him again, she thought.




Ever since breakfast that morning at nine, Hermione had been watching her living room clock. Despite having the entire day ahead of her before her escort arrived, she couldn’t help be fear that she would miss something. She realized her lack of activity by the time lunch rolled around and decided to cozy up to a good book.

Hermione was on chapter fifty-two in a fascinating book discussing healing charms (complete with magical illustrations!) when she heard a distinct “pop!” coming from her living room, followed by a high pitched shriek.

She was able to piece it together when she looked at the time. The “pop!” was the sound of someone Apparating to into the room, as it was five o’clock and time for her escort to arrive. The second sound ” the shriek ” was that of her mother.

I suppose I should have mentioned something to my mother about my plans for the evening, reflected Hermione.

She was jerked out of her trance by a loud crash. She jumped and proceeded to the next room to learn the source of the sound.

Sprawled on the carpet of Hermione's living room was a woman. Among other things, her neon orange hair (which matched the belt she was wearing) stood out in particular. At her feet was what seemed to be, at one point in time, a set of champagne flutes.

The visitor looked devastated. “Oh no!” she groaned. “So sorry. Let me fix those for you. They look important. Reparo!”

Mrs. Granger’s heart seemed to skip a beat but then relaxed when the glasses were suddenly perfect once again.

Hermione flinched but relaxed when they were successfully salvaged. “Thanks. Those were my grandparent’s wedding flutes.”

The Auror carefully set them on the table where they had fallen from and nodded at her. “There we are ” all better!”

Hermione stepped forward. “Hello, Tonks,” Hermione greeted. “I see you’ve met my mother?”

Tonks looked at the young witch in front of her with one eyebrow raised. “Yes, it certainly looks that way. All right there, Hermione?”

Whispering an apology to her mother, who was looking from her daughter to the neon orange stranger in front of her, she nodded. “I'm great. Do I need to bring anything with me?”

Tonks shifted in the spot she was standing. “No, but if it’s okay with your mum, you might have a visitor on your return trip back in the form of a young Mr. Potter.”

Hermione looked expectantly at her mother. She knew after being scared in the manner that she had been ” witnessing a stranger Apparating into her family room ” that if it was for anyone but Harry, she might actually tell her no.

Mrs. Granger sighed. “It’s perfectly fine with me, dear. You know we love Harry. I’ll get his room ready after you leave.”

Tonks let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding. Looking at Hermione, she said, “Well, let’s get going then. Grab my arm and I’ll have you there in no time. We are going to use Side-Along Apparition.”

Hermione suddenly felt like a giddy school girl. She had never Apparated before and trying new things, especially new magical things, was always a thrill for her.

“Tonks? I have never… erm… done this before.”

The Auror looked down at the young witch and smiled.

“So, what you are telling me is I, Tonks, get to teach the smartest witch of her age something new? Can I tell Remus? He will be quite amused.”

Hermione rolled her eyes, “Can we just get to the meeting, please? I’m sure they are waiting.”

Sighing, Tonks instructed her, “Just hold on to my arm and let me take care of the rest.”

Hermione nodded and in a reassuring voice stated, “We’ll be back, Mum.”

Mrs. Granger wiped her brow with a handkerchief as she waved them away.

With a final glance at her living room, she took the arm of the Auror next to her.

A second later the only thing heard was a “pop!” signaling their exit.



The pressure was, in a word, unpleasant. Hermione could not see how this was a preferred method of travel. The pressure came at her in every direction and she felt as if her body would explode from it. Within seconds, however, it was over. When Tonks told her it was safe to open her eyes, she looked around. She knew immediately where she was.

Number Twelve Grimmauld Place: The Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix.

There were voices coming from the other room. She tried to recognize them one by one.

Lupin… Dumbledore… Mrs. Weasley…

She was so lost in thought she did not notice the person approaching her from behind.

“It took you guys long enough.”

Hermione jumped briefly but relaxed as she felt the hands of one of her best friends on her shoulders. She turned to face him, smiling.

“Harry, how are you?”

He gave her a lingering hug. “Better now. Another hour with the Dursley’s and one of us might have done bodily harm to the other. Dudley’s head may be filled with sawdust, but it hurts nonetheless when he lands on you.”

Hermione laughed. Harry smiled, which in itself was a first for quite some time. Yes, this time with his best friend would do the both of them some good.

“Care to venture a guess as to why we are here, Hermione?”

She shook her head. “Nope, but would you care to join me in finding an answer to that burning question?”

Harry answered her by taking her hand in his and leading her to the dining room where the meeting was about to start.
Chapter 2 by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
This took me a bit longer due to technical difficulties but here it is, Chapter 2! Thank you muchly to Rita, the beta of everyone's dreams for shaking me til I got it right. (kidding.) The next chapter is already written, I just need to submit the bugger. I hope this one is enjoyable enough to hold you over until then. I should add this story is *not* HBP compliant.
Chapter Two “ Doing Their Duty



As they walked into the dining room, Hermione and Harry found Professor Dumbledore waiting for them. They were expecting a large group and almost seemed disappointed at the lack of people attending this "important meeting".



A man with gray, long hair and a purple robe greeted them.



"Harry, Hermione, so wonderful to see you both again!" Looking at the pair of students, he gestured towards the table where a set of goblets waited. "Pumpkin juice?"



Hermione shook his hand but was not easily distracted. "Professor, what is going on here? Where is Ron?"



The headmaster reached for his cup and chuckled at their fierce devotion for their friend. "Mr. Weasley is enjoying a well deserved summer break at the Burrow, as this is not his concern. You will see him at a later time."



The two teenagers glanced at each other. Their nervousness was beginning to show.



Albus Dumbledore straightened his half moon spectacles. "Dark times are here, and we are enlisting your help if you agree to the terms that we are about to discuss."



They both straightened at the seriousness of his tone.



Harry leaned in. "I'll do anything, you know that sir."



Hermione added, "Professor, all you need to do is ask."



Dumbledore took a sip from the goblet in front of him and proceeded to explain everything.



"As you are both aware, Professor Snape works undercover for the Order appearing to be a loyal servant of Lord Voldemort. He has put his life on the line on a daily basis to get us valuable information so we can continue to have an upper hand in the inevitable war we are facing. It has been during this time that a second ally has come forth."



Hermione looked up. "And who would that be, sir?"



Dumbledore looked down at her with a twinkle in his eyes. She knew that look all too well; he had something up his sleeves.



"That would be our young Mr. Malfoy."



The two friends looked at their trusted headmaster with their mouths wide open in shock. They exchanged nervous glances and suddenly did not like where this conversation was headed.



Harry seemed to ask the question on both of their minds.



"With all due respect, sir… Is this some sort of a joke? Surely you're not serious!"



Hermione gave a slight shrug and added, "Professor, I have to agree with Harry on this one. Malfoy hasn't shown a single sign of decency his entire stay at Hogwarts. What has he done to convince you otherwise?"



Dumbledore let out a small sigh. He knew this would happen; they had a past that could not be ignored. He tried to continue in his efforts to soothe their nerves.



"I am unable to share that information at this time; however this is where the favor comes in."



Harry mumbled, "I'm almost afraid to ask."



The headmaster continued.



"We have a safe 'hiding place', if you will, for Professor Snape which he is able to arrive at by use of a special portkey. I am asking for your help to hide Mr. Malfoy if the need arises."



Hermione almost choked.



"Excuse me, sir? You want us to help hide Malfoy? Certainly there must be someone else more qualified!"



Nodding in her direction, he continued, "I understand your apprehension, Miss Granger, but look at it this way: Where is the last place that Voldemort would expect one of his people to be hiding?"



Beginning to understand where Professor Dumbledore was going with this particular line of thought, Harry nodded. "With is sworn enemy." Then, with a sudden need for clarification, he added, "I see where you are coming from, sir, but wouldn't Malfoy turn against us the second we were alone with him?"



Dumbledore lowered his goblet, suddenly looking serious.



"You're going to have to trust me, Harry. Draco Malfoy has had quite the rude awakening recently. He knows he was wrong."



Harry spoke up again. "Then why hasn't he told this to us himself? Why are we hearing this second hand? If he has changed as you are claiming he did, wouldn't he try a little bit of damage control, so to speak?"



Hermione looked at her friend and quirked a half-smile.



"That would be because we never would have believed him, let alone the fact that he probably would have been hexed to oblivion. Especially with Ronald's temper!"



"Ah, this brings me to the subject of your missing partner in crime ," Dumbledore said. "Can you now see why he was not included right away?"



Hermione smiled and thought to herself, You have quite the keen eye, professor. It almost scares me to wonder what you know about the students at Hogwarts.



She looked up. "Do you really think we can pull this off, sir?"



"Hermione," The headmaster seemed to be choosing his words carefully. "I believe the expression goes something like, 'It is so insane it might just be totally brilliant.' "



Harry laughed. "You made that up."



"Yes, I did. It makes my point, though. Any other concerns? Yes, Harry?"



"Where do you propose we hide him? I mean, not here, right? He would hear the Order's secrets!"



Hermione looked at the two of them as they spoke. She turned her attention to her mentor as he continued.



"I was actually thinking of somewhere a bit simpler “ Miss Granger's home."



Harry suddenly stood up, all manners out the window.



"Absolutely NOT! I refuse to allow that slimy git anywhere near Hermione without magic. She's still under aged, you know."



Hermione put her hand on his shoulder. "I appreciate your concern, Harry , but I can take care of myself when it comes to our favorite ferret."



Dumbledore raised his hand up in defeat.



"You can both relax. I would never put Hermione into this situation without magic being allowed. By all means, if you need to, please defend yourself! Please also know that I am not sending you into something like this alone, dear."



Hermione's eyes lit up and looked at her best friend. "Harry! That's right; Tonks said that Harry was returning with me. I forgot all about it!"



She breathed a loud sigh of relief.



The elder wizard smiled as he looked at the witch and wizard in front of him. He wouldn't regret this decision.



"So is it agreed? If “ and it may never even happen ” but if Draco Malfoy shows up at your house, you will put aside all differences and help him. Is this understood?"



"Yes, sir," they both answered solemnly.



Satisfied with their answer, he continued.



"Well, if there are no more questions or concerns, I think you may make it back in time for a lovely dinner. Hermione's mother is a delectable cook, Harry."



"Yes, sir. That sounds wonderful."



"Alright, well, each of you go ahead and grab one of my arms now and…"



Hermione's heart skipped a beat. She never thought she would be apparating twice in an evening. Wait until she told Ginny!



Feeling the need to explain, the headmaster smiled. "I have to speak to your parents so they understand what is happening. We don't want to have a reoccurrence of this afternoon, do we?"



His eyes were twinkling again.



Hermione took his arm as Harry looked at her with his eyebrow cocked.



Harry smiled, shaking his head. This was going to be a fun summer.
Chapter 3 - An Adjustment by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I am sooo sorry that this took so long to update! I submitted it and did not realize I needed to label it with with an "Alternative Unvierse" warning so here it is in all it's glory with its improved warning in place. My beta goddess, Rita Writer saved my hide once again so thank you to her as well as my cousin, Loralie who gave imput as well. Also, don't be afraid to comment, it's good for the soul!
Chapter 3 “ An Adjustment


Harry and Hermione looked around the room they were in and then at each other. They had just finished dinner and Dumbledore left soon after. They blinked as they took everything in from their conversation earlier.

Hermione was the first one to speak.

“Are you ready for this, Harry?”

Harry let out a forced breath and looked out the window. The full moon allowed a better view of the neighborhood.

“I’ll believe it when I see it with my own two eyes. What about you?”

She shrugged. “I trust Dumbledore. He hasn’t let us down yet. Anyways, it’s getting late. I should show you to your room. I am exhausted.”

Harry laughed. “’Hermione, go to bed. I know where my room is. You showed it to me earlier.”

He gave her a brief hug and they bid their goodnights. He walked into his bedroom, fully intending on simply grabbing a towel for his shower when something caught his eye.

It was green.

How “Slytherinny” of her. He snickered. He knocked on her door, hoping she wasn’t asleep yet. She answered, “It’s open.”

Harry had a green towel in his hand. “Did you do this on purpose?” He had a half smile on his face but she looked confused. “What did I do on purpose? I’m not sure I follow you.”

“The room and towels, they’re GREEN. Slytherin green, like Malfoy.”

Hermione covered her mouth in surprise. “Oh, I’m sorry, Harry! It was decorated long before the whole Malfoy thing came into play. I swear. Mom went shopping last week and just asked me for a color idea, that’s all. Forgive me”

She gave her biggest, most pathetic pout, batting her eyes with a whimper.

Harry rolled his eyes, “Night, Hermione.” and with that he closed the door lightly. A minute later she heard the shower and someone singing slightly off-key.




Over the next couple of weeks, Harry and Hermione grew closer. Harry came to know her exceptionably well, and began referring to how she liked to do things as “Hermione-isms.”

One night, Harry was attempting to help Mrs. Granger place silverware on the table when he noticed his friend walking a few paces behind him, flipping the knives in the opposite direction. He groaned and when Mrs. Granger left the room turned to face her.

“Hermione, would YOU rather set it?” he asked in an annoyed tone.

Hermione flinched. “Sorry, Harry. I was just trying to keep my mind occupied.”

THUD!

She stopped and looked at him, dropping the knife in her hand.

“H-Harry, did you hear that?”

Harry scanned the room, at the same time fumbling for his wand. “It sounded like it came from your back porch.”

She looked at him with wide eyes. Harry didn’t seem to want to move from where he was standing.

Hermione shook her head. “It couldn’t be… there’s no way…”

Both of them walked very slowly to the door, trying to convince themselves that their hunch was wrong. Harry consciously kept Hermione behind him in a protective gesture.

Harry let out a nervous laugh. “Surely Dumbledore would have given us some sort of warning or a sign.”

She added, while standing behind Harry, “Maybe it’s the neighbour’s dog or a stray animal.”

He wiped his now sweaty palms on his pants and slowly opened the door, revealing the sound of the noise.

“Well, Hermione, you were close.”

On the steps in front of them, in a tangled mass of blond hair and dried blood, was one Draco Malfoy.

Harry and Hermione took a step back when they saw their fellow student, former enemy and current assignment lying on the steps below.

Draco looked to be unconscious. Harry tapped him with his foot, not yet confident enough to touch him. Hermione shuddered, grabbing hold of her best friends’ arm.

“I think he is still breathing. Now what?”

He stood up a bit straighter and let a breath out that he was holding. “Now we do what we were asked, I suppose.”

Raising his wand in front of him, he let out a reluctant Levicorpus and led Malfoy’s unconscious body into the room designated for him.




Harry and Hermione stood outside of the bedroom which contained a sleeping Draco. The door was cracked open so they were able to keep an eye on him.

Harry ran his hand through his hair and glanced at the witch next to him.

“Okay, so now what?”

Hermione took another peek into the room and replied, “I suppose we should contact the headmaster, but how?”

Harry motioned towards the desk next to them. “You don’t happen to have a writing implement in that desk, do you?”

She nodded and he shook his head. “I know, I know… silly question. Look who’s house I am in.”

Opening the drawer, she produced a quill and some parchment. After a minute or so, she had a note scribbled and showed it to Harry.

Professor “
We are at a bit of a crossroad with the extra credit assignment you gave us for the summer. Would it be acceptable to ask for help? We don’t want to get a failing grade seeing as it is such a major project.

- Hermione and Harry


They agreed that if it were to be intercepted they would not be discovered. After Hedwig took the letter, they cautiously entered Malfoy’s room and sat on either side of him.

“He looks awful, Harry. I almost feel sorry for him.”

They spent the next hour discussing security issues and who would get first watch. Once everything was settled, they tried to relax with a Muggle card game called Cribbage. Hermione wasn’t paying much attention as Harry put the first of two pegs into the “home” area on the small wooden board. They both looked up when they heard a groan coming from the lump in the guest bed.

Both teenagers quickly took their wands out, ready if Draco tried to hurt them. Hermione cleared her throat.

“Malfoy,” She shook his arm and shoulder. “Malfoy, can you hear me?”

There was a slight grunt followed by a muffling sound as he tried to rub his eyes. He jerked his hand away at the feeling of pain that lifting his arm had caused. Both of his eyes were swollen. He tried to blink, looking around.

“Wha”? What the hell are you doing here, Granger?” After a moment, he mumbled, “Wherever here is.” He tried to find his wand in his robes but found himself too weak to even lift his arms much and lay back down.

Hermione flinched at his harshness and tried to retain some sort of composure as she spoke.

“You are at MY house, Malfoy.

“Yeah, and you look like you’ve been regurgitated by a Hippogriff,” added Harry, “It’s almost an improvement.”

Draco shook his head. “I should have figured if she was here, you or Weasel would be with her. Someone really needs to wean you guys off one another. It’s just not healthy.”

Hermione ignored the last comment.

“So what happened to you anyways? Where is Professor Snape?”

Draco ignored her right back and made no effort to answer her, and instead focused on his current situation.

“How is it I ended up here, I think is the more pressing question? The Order gave each of us a portkey which would deliver us to a safe house if things got bad.”

Harry couldn’t resist. “Malfoy?”

Draco looked up at him, “What?”

“Is this a house?”

“Yes.”

“Are you safe?”

“Ask me in an hour.”

Hermione leaned in close so that Draco could hear her whisper in his ear. “Welcome to your Safe House, Malfoy.”

He looked at her and gave an involuntary shiver, swallowing loudly. He was about to make a comment when they heard a voice.

“I see young Mr. Malfoy has arrived safe and sound? Thank you Hermione and of course, you too, Harry.”

The teens turned around and Draco craned his neck the best he could to greet the headmaster. Fawkes was perched on the window ledge. Dumbledore’s timing couldn’t have been better.

They were ready for answers.


Chapter 4 - A Bit Awkward by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I'm chuck out of creative author's notes at the moment... Thank you to my furiously quick beta, Rita Writer for getting this back to me. I remain in awe.Also, there will be some OOC scenes from here on out. Please remember the AU warning. Feel free to review as well as PM me on the beta boards with any questions as well.
Recap of Ch 3: Draco Malfoy arrives on Hermione's doorstep after escaping certain doom. He is taken in by Hermione and Harry. Draco awakens to see his new surroundings as well as the two people he least expected to find taking care of him. Their questions are about to be answered by Dumbledore here in Ch. 4.



Chapter 4 “ A Bit Awkward

When he was able to make eye contact with the professor, Draco had some questions.

“Sir, I have to question your choice of hosts. Why not just send me to stay with Professor Snape?”

The twinkle in Dumbledore’s eyes returned. Draco waited patiently for an answer.

“Ahh, Mr. Malfoy. Though I understand your apprehension in staying with your fellow classmates, you should consider this: Would Voldemort ever suspect you to get help from a Muggle-born such as Miss Granger?”

Draco looked thoughtful for a minute and seemed to ponder the question.

“Point taken “ but Sir, these two will probably curse me in my sleep!”

The headmaster smiled slightly, shaking his head. “Doubtful! Harry, how long was Mr. Malfoy unconscious?”

Harry looked at the Muggle watch he was wearing. “We found him around five forty-five this evening on the porch, Sir.”

Beaming, Dumbledore looked at Draco. “It’s almost ten minutes after seven and you are still alive!”

Draco gave a reproachful look to them. He did not expect Hermione to say what she was about to say.

“Sir “ can we do something about his wounds? They look infected.”

Draco glanced down at his arms but did not move his head too quickly in that direction because of the pain shooting through his neck. He assumed it was because of how abruptly he landed using the Portkey.

Those better not leave permanent marks, thought Draco. Potter’s scar is bad enough, and I don’t even have to look at it on a daily basis. I would rather not have that in common with him.

Dumbledore muttered an incantation and proceeded to hold his wand over Draco’s wounds. Most of them began to glow a blue color. A few areas showed a more orange color.

“Well, lucky for young Draco, most of these are not going to cause any long-term damage. I will, of course, send Poppy over here at once to take care of the damage caused by any curses.”

At the mention of that, Fawkes suddenly disappeared in a puff of smoke.

A few minutes later, Madam Pomfrey appeared and hurried over to Malfoy, muttering something about “kids these days.” She did what she could in the way of medical care and gave Draco a dreamless sleeping potion to get him through the night, which took effect quite rapidly.




As the headmaster walked the two teenagers out of the bedroom, they looked at him with anxiety in their eyes.

“Would it ease your fears if I left an Auror behind? I’m simply trying not to raise suspicion.” Dumbledore clasped his hands in front of him as he waited.

Harry asked him, “Do you believe we are safe, Professor?”

“Are referring to keeping him here with you?” Dumbledore asked. “Yes. I have no doubt that Draco Malfoy is a good but slightly misguided and misunderstood person.”

Hermione shuffled her feet; Harry stood up straight.

“Okay, Sir. That’s good enough for me.”




Draco awoke with a headache the size of Hogwarts. He had to lie in bed briefly before remembering where he was.

Granger.

Potter.

Why?

He rolled over, intending to try relaxing on his stomach, but on the way around, he saw a vial with a note. He blinked several times to get the sleep out of his eyes so he could view the words on the slip or parchment more clearly.

Malfoy “

Madam Pomfrey said you would wake up with a bit of a headache. This potion should help.

Hermione


Draco groaned. “A bit of a headache my arse…”

He flinched as he held the vial of purple liquid to his lips.

“Here goes nothing.”

Down it went.

It had a pleasant, sweet aftertaste once the initial shock wore off, as it tasted quite strong at first. He found that his headache had rapidly subsided and suddenly the sweet lingering smells from the potion gave way to new smells.… Breakfast?

He knew that smell anywhere. Eggs, bacon… Oh, he was starving! They would never share, though. They had hated him since first year at school. Should he go to the kitchen and risk being cursed to oblivion?

Before he could answer his own question, there was a light knock on the door.

Draco looked up, not sure who to expect on the other side. “Uh, come in?”

The door opened to reveal Hermione carrying a tray full of food. Draco’s eyes got huge.

Hermione cleared her throat, “I didn’t know how you were feeling or what you liked to eat so I brought I little bit of everything.” She glanced down onto the tray in the direction of the glass filled with an orange liquid. “Oh, and that’s orange juice, not pumpkin juice.”

Draco looked suspiciously at the plates in front of him and smelled the juice. It seemed to be harmless. Who knew Granger could cook.

She was full of surprises, as he was about to find out.

Looking at the nightstand next to his bed, she noticed the vial had been drained of the potion she had left him earlier. “I hope my headache reliever worked alright for you. I have only done those a few times for Professor Snape.”

Draco’s eyes grew huge. “You made that?”

“You’re welcome, Malfoy.”

“Uh, thanks, Granger. Now let me see how much of the food I can choke down!” He gave her a nervous smile and shrugged.

Unfortunately, Hermione took his remark literally and in a huff she stormed out of the room. He felt slightly guilty as he had not meant to say anything hurtful to the Gryffindor. Draco attempted to get up from his spot on the bed but found he was unable to due to pain in his back from the night before.

“Wait! Hermione?”

He gasped slightly at how easily the name was used by him. He began to think for a minute.

It’s quite pretty. Unusual, yes, but pretty. Much nicer than something like ‘Pansy’ He shuddered and quickly shut his former Slytherin friend out of his mind.




Harry sighed while walking towards Draco’s bedroom. Hermione had just come running to him in tears telling him about Malfoy’s “rude and insensitive” comment. Harry gave her the benefit of the doubt and allowed her to vent until she was worn out. When she was done, he took a deep breath and calmly but lovingly told her he thought she was overreacting.

Hermione once again stormed out of the room leaving Harry eating breakfast alone. Harry laughed as he entered Malfoy’s room.

Draco looked up at his guest.

“What’s so funny, Potter?” He noticed a visible grin on Harry’s face as well as the tray of food he was trying not to spill. “I have enough food by the way, thanks.”

Harry looked down at his own tray he was holding.

“This food is mine and I am laughing at the irony. Here I am bringing my breakfast in to join my childhood enemy and I’m about to discuss my best friend with him, no less.”

Draco laughed slightly. “Yeah, okay. That was funny. Have a seat.

Draco proceeded to conjure a chair with a slight wave of his hand. Harry’s jaw hit the floor in shock. “Malfoy, how long have you been able to use wandless magic?”

Smirking, he answered, “Professor Snape began teaching me when the Chamber of Secrets was opened. It was a good thing he started as early as he did, because I have only, in the last six months, really gotten the hang of it. I’m not supposed to flaunt that particular talent to just anyone.”

Harry shifted uncomfortably in his chair, not sure if he should speak his mind. He decided to swallow his pride and just go for it.

“So, you really have changed. If you have been able to leave without using a wand and you’re still here… wow. I guess I should also express appreciation for the fact that Hermione and I lived to see today while in a house with one who has made no secret of the hatred for us in the past.”

Draco cut him off.

“I don’t hate you guys, Potter. I used to, yes. My head has been fed nothing but hatred since I was young enough to understand. When my dad… did the unspeakable… my mom was the only person who ever showed any semblance of affection. Now she’s gone.”

He blinked hard once or twice before continuing, diverting his focus to a small window. Should I press further? Why was Malfoy talking about his mum in the past tense?

Swallowing loudly, Draco stated, “I do not want to be that person which Lucius has become.”

Harry interrupted. His curiosity had won over all thoughts of tact. “Is that why the headmaster took you in?”

Draco nodded. “After Mother… died… Dumbledore asked to speak with me. He asked how I was doing and if I had anything troubling me. After a bit of a breakdown on my part, I told him everything. I gave names and told secrets that, had Lucius found out, he would have finished me off without a care.”

Harry nodded. “So where does Professor Snape come into all of this? Did he know what had been happening to you?”

Draco took a bite of egg and washed it down with the remainder of his orange juice.

“After my confession, Dumbledore told me that there was a mole of sorts at Hogwarts who was helping the Order posing as a Death Eater. He told me what the person was responsible for and whatnot. He asked if I would like to be taken in to the safety of the Order on the Phoenix and that Father would never know. He offered me everything: Portkeys, Aurors, but I decided to raise the stakes and offered to be another spy for them.”

Harry suddenly looked at him with a knowing smile.

“So, how many times did he refuse the offer before giving in?”

Draco smirked. “It took me another two hours to break him, so to speak.”

He had a look of satisfaction radiating from him as he remembered the conversation he had with the old man. Dumbledore did not like to place his students in danger, but Draco was persistent.

Harry had one more question for him, “So what brought you to your safe house, Malfoy?”

Draco ran his hands through his greasy, unkempt hair.

“My dear Aunt Bellatrix.”

Chapter 5 - You Have My Attention by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
Let's try this again, shall we? I apologize for the length of time bewteen chapters. The waiting line at the queue rivals the wait to get into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and I also rewrote part of it to keep Draco more in canon. I want to extend a special thank you to Abbi for helping me by being my beta this time around. Thanks for your insight, dearie. As always, this all belongs to JKR. Maybe I'll be a rich billionnaire in my next life...
Previously:
Harry had one more question for him, “So what brought you to your safe house, Malfoy?”

Draco ran his hands through his greasy, unkempt hair.

“My dear Aunt Bellatrix.”



Ch. 5 “ You Have My Attention

Harry re-adjusted himself in his chair to where he would most benefit in the conversation to follow.

“Okay, you have my attention.” Draco knew that Harry would listen intently to anything having to do with the witch who had recently killed his godfather.

Draco began, “To be absolutely honest, she was cornering me in preparation of my Dark Mark. I told her no, which I could have done differently instead of spitting in her face or calling her a few choice names. She gave me an answer in the form of a powerful Cruciatus Curse. She didn’t let up for what seemed like forever and when she did, I reached into my inside pocket for my emergency Portkey. I barely escaped her.”

Harry studied Draco’s dramatic reenactment for a moment. “I’m curious, Malfoy. Did you have any clue where the Portkey would take you?”

Draco shook his head. “None. I’d be risking peoples’ lives. Imagine what would have happened if they slipped me a dose of Veritaserum? Besides, had I known I would end up here with Saint Potter and your harem, I may have fought off my aunt a bit longer before reaching for the Portkey.”

Harry moved as if he were thinking about causing bodily harm to the blonde in front of him but sat back down. It wouldn’t be a fair fight. He made a mental note to at least wait until the bruises were gone. Deciding to lighten the mood and be the bigger wizard, Harry looked at Draco.

“You know, between the two of us, Hermione is downstairs crying in her morning oatmeal. Can’t you just be nice to her for once?”

Draco rolled his eyes. “That girl is far too sensitive. It was a bloody joke! For being the so-called smartest witch of our age, she can be really scatterbrained. Oh, and what did you say to her? You implied we both upset her.”

Harry tried to choose his words carefully. “I let her explain to me what you had said to her about her cooking and I just kind of implied exactly what you just told me - that she was being overly sensitive.”

After seeing Draco raise his eyebrows in what looked to be shock, Harry quickly added, “Oh well, you learn to just ride out her moods over time. The only person she ever holds grudges against is Ron, and that’s because they fancy each other but are too stubborn to admit it.”

Draco shrugged. “I never really paid attention and I really could have gone without hearing that while I was eating. Where is the Weasel, anyways? You three are usually attached at the hip.”

“He does have a family, you know. They’re probably spending time together before school starts." Harry quietly added, "And honestly, if you want to know the truth, Malfoy, he doesn’t know about all of this.”

This got the blonde wizard’s attention. “And why would you keep him in the dark about me?” Malfoy was flabbergasted.

Harry straightened. “Dumbledore may have thought that Ron was too passionate when it came to Hermione or something. Forget I mentioned it.”

The last comment did not seem to faze Draco and he simply mumbled, “Whatever.”

Harry moved to get up, his breakfast long gone. He looked down at Malfoy’s tray. “You ate everything…. I’ll have to tell Hermione you kept it all down and didn’t complain once! That’s impressive.”

As Harry took the tray away, Draco answered back, “No, impressive is the fact that Granger can cook like that. My compliments to the chef.”

Hermione was standing in the doorway with her arms crossed in front of her chest. “Compliments taken and appreciated, Malfoy.”

Draco looked at her as a knowing smile crept slowly across his face. “I knew you were standing there, Hermione.”

She darted her eyes in the direction of the wizard addressing her.

What did you call me?”

Draco sighed and rolled his eyes. “That’s your name, right? Or are you about to drop some sort of bombshell on us about your identity? Besides, I knew that would get a rise out of you, and I couldn’t resist the opportunity.”

Harry stood back and watched the conversation.

Hermione stuttered, “Y… you’ve n… never called me that before. It just caught me off guard.”

He looked at Harry, motioning towards her. “I told you she’s too sensitive.”

Hermione glanced in the direction of her best friend. “Harry?”

Harry took this opportunity to speak. “If I may say so, it was your temper that allowed Malfoy and I ””

Hermione interrupted, “Draco.”

What?” Draco answered on instinct, almost looking irritated.

She ignored the Slytherin and looked at her best friend. “His name is Draco. He’s not the only one allowed to change around here. It’s time we address each other properly.”

Draco sat upright the best he could. “Well, aren’t you full of surprises? You can cook, and you know how to address someone the appropriate way. Not bad for a Mu ” Muggle-born.”

Hermione looked at him. “Please don’t make me regret this. I am feeling very vulnerable right now.”

Harry patted her shoulder in reassurance.

“Trust me, it will be fine. Let’s give Draco time to rest, and I will explain everything.” Feeling a bit more relaxed about the situation, Harry added, “Maybe if we drop enough hints about the smell, he might shower too, but don’t keep your hopes up. This is Malfoy we are talking about.”

Harry ducked as Malfoy made a snarling noise. He laughed as he closed the door behind him, locking it behind them, just in case. A minute later, a note was slipped under the door with a diagram of where to find the bathroom and its contents such as soap and shampoo labeled in bright red. Malfoy shook his head.

“Merlin help me, I am going to go crazy.”




Ron Weasley was lying on his bed, staring at his Chudley Cannon’s poster. The Quidditch players in the picture flew around, throwing the enchanted Bludger towards Ron before it would magically disappear.

He wasn’t really paying much attention to it because his mind was elsewhere. He was bored, plain and simple. He missed his two best friends, Harry and Hermione more than he thought possible and he was stuck at the Burrow.

Ron was the sixth of seven children and the youngest boy. Most of his family was out and about running errands so he opted to stay behind. He was at such a loss in finding something to do that he even resorted to starting his summer homework assignments!

He stared at his book and knew he could get his work done a lot faster if Hermione was there to help him. He thought of her and imagined how impressed she would be to know what he was doing on a beautiful summer day. Homework ! He tried to picture her at home as he lay on his own bed.

“I’ll bet she’s up to her neck in books at this exact moment!”

He was never so far from the truth.




Draco had been staying with Harry and Hermione for over a week. He had slowly begun to accept their hospitality and, in exchange, was not as much of a pain as he had been in years past. They had even learned to have civil conversations amongst each other at the headmaster’s urging.

One sunny afternoon, Hermione thought it would be fun to get some old Muggle games out to play. She knew she was going out on a limb with her suggestion but they needed to break the monotony. They had been trying to teach each other various defense techniques all morning and she felt as though they deserved a break.

She had been pleasantly surprised at Draco’s willingness to try the games, however they quickly learned that one thing about Malfoy had not changed “ He did not like to lose!

They had been nearing the end of the Game of Life and it was Draco and Hermione in a dead heat for the finish. She took her turn, and the spinner spun a five.

“Okay, Malfoy. Only one space left before I am declared winner!”

“Hell no, Granger. You’re going down.”

Draco turned the dial. It landed on ”

“A FOUR? Did you enchant the spinner? Admit it, you’re a bloody cheater! I knew I couldn’t trust you to play fair.”

Harry positioned himself for his turn. “Oh, just relax. She has to land by exact count so you still have a chance.”

Harry then spun and it landed on a ten, which was surprisingly enough to get him to the end of the game.

Draco and Hermione sat in shock.

Hermione spoke first. She pointed to Harry’s red car on the spot reserved for the winner with her mouth open in shock.

“Where did he come from?”

“No clue.” Draco shrugged after staring at the board in confusion. “It was a stupid game anyways. I’m going to go practice some more outside.” Hermione looked between her best friend and Draco. To Harry’s surprise, she opted to follow the Slytherin.

With that, they left Harry sitting, trying to figure out what had just transpired.

What have I gotten myself into this summer? he thought. Harry stood and picked up the scattered game pieces. He was eager to get himself outside and keep the peace in whatever dueling activity they were engaged in.

Chapter 6 - Go Take A Walk, Hermione . . . NOW. by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I'm sorry this took so long to update and I promise not to become one of those authors who update every 9 months! (I have since added 3 other stories though, so my time was not wasted.) I owe my sanity to my beta, Rita Writer who has manned this (except for 1 chap.) since the beginning. Thanks for your patience and without further ado, here it is.
Chapter 6 “ Passing Time


One evening after dinner, the three teenagers were sitting in the dining room working on their summer homework when Draco jumped. He suddenly got a sick feeling in his stomach and it suggested trouble.

“What’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

The blond wizard had his wand out before she could complete the question. Gut feeling or not, he was not going to risk anything.

“Hermione, where are your parents?” He asked the question quickly and placed a disillusionment charm on the books so they would appear nonexistent. The young witch watched him as he did this.

“Why are you asking, Draco? You’re starting to frighten me.”

“Just answer the question... please…” He said the last word gritting his teeth, trying to stay level headed.

Harry watched everything unfold in front of him, observing Draco trying to stay in control. He knew that Malfoy was usually the epitome of calm but he was beginning to slip.

Harry suddenly seemed to understand and spoke up. “Malfoy, get under my cloak. If it’s a dark wizard, you can’t be seen here with us!”

Malfoy tried to object but realized his point and obeyed. “I will help the best I can. Hermione, where are your parents, though?”

“They’re at a dinner party.”

Draco knew that if there were truly dark forces here at the Granger home of all places, it put Hermione in the most danger. He gently but firmly took hold of the witch’s arm and told her to go to them.

He needed her out of the house but she would never go for that reason alone. If it was her home they were specifically targeting, she needed not to be in it when and if they arrived. Additionally, the last thing they needed was to have her parents come through the door at just the right moment.

She looked at him in fear and he quickly explained to her, “You have to keep them out of danger and as long as they are not here, they are safe. Just stall them as long as you can. Harry and I will be fine, especially if no one knows we are here. We’ll either find you if it’s over quickly or we’ll meet back here in two hours.”

Harry gave her a sweet smile and with a hug said, “We’ll be fine under the cloak. Now go disappear for a while so we can as well.”

Draco raised the cloak over Harry so they were both hidden. Hermione quickly made her way to the back door and, when she thought it was safe, she walked briskly down the street to their neighbor’s house to find her parents.

No sooner did she slip out the door was there a crashing noise somewhere in the house. Harry and Draco quietly walked towards the front entryway, hidden under the invisibility cloak. Since they were hidden, they felt confident enough to stand slightly away from the wall for a better view.

There in front of them were two Death Eaters. The boys each took a sharp intake of breath at the sight of the hooded figures.

Draco watched them closely and whispered, “I think that’s Crabbe and Goyle Sr. They often work in pairs. Unless…”

Harry stopped breathing. “Unless what, Malfoy?” he whispered urgently. He could practically hear his heart beating outside of his chest from the adrenaline.

Draco was silent for a second. “The only other two people that work in pairs would be…”

A voice in the living room interrupted his thought. He extended his arm out enough to stop Harry from moving forward.

“I know you’re here, Mudblood.”

The cold cackling voice made Harry’s blood boil. It continued.

“You can’t hide from us forever! Why not just make it easier on everyone and come out so we can get this over with. I promise it won’t hurt but for a minute.” The evil witch spat out the last few words in a mocking tone that ended in almost a whisper.

Draco swallowed hard.

“Bellatrix. That was her voice which means the other one is… Lucius.”

Harry quietly backed them flat onto a wall where they could still see what was happening. “If you want, you can go. I’ll find you in, say, two hours at the park down the street.”

Draco whispered again more determined. “I am not leaving you alone with that bastard who dares to refer to himself as my father. Just don’t make a sound and they might just Apparate when they learn no one is here.”




Hermione was halfway to her parent’s dinner party when she saw two figures walking towards her holding hands lit from behind by the streetlamp above. When they came into focus, she recognized it as the two people she was on her way to stall. She took a deep breath.

“Mum! Dad! What are you doing? Is the party over?”

She kept looking around to make sure she wasn’t being followed.

They looked at each other. Her father stepped forward, letting go of his wife’s hand to get a better look at his daughter and spoke.

“More importantly, why are YOU walking outside in the middle of the night? Where are the boys - are you hurt?”

Hermione shook her head quickly. “No, no, no… I just fancied a walk, that’s all.” She averted their eye contact.

Her mother noticed this and not missing a beat asked her, “Dear, what are you pretending not to be hiding?”

“Nothing! Honestly, if you can’t trust your own daughter…”

Her dad touched her arm affectionately. “We trust that our daughter would never lie to us. Want to try one more time?”

Hermione hung her head and mumbled incoherently.

“What was that, sweetheart? We didn’t quite hear you.”

The young witch took a deep breath and looked at her parents.

“I said you are in danger and you can’t go home right now or you’ll get hurt.”

They froze.

“Excuse me?”

She took a deep breath. “The boys are making sure nothing happens to the house. I’m supposed to meet them there in about an hour.”

Her father looked towards the house with a look of worry.

“Are they safe?”

Hermione nodded. “Yes, they haven’t been seen. Can we go now? I hate feeling exposed like this out in the open.”

Her mother went to give Hermione a hug and asked, “So now what?”

At that precise moment, there was a loud “bang!” and the Granger family jumped in fear.

In front of them was the Knight Bus.

Hermione had her wand out before realizing where the noise had come from. She motioned for her parents to stay where they were as she proceeded to make her way towards the other side of the purple bus.

As she rounded the corner to face the door, she became a bit nervous to see who it was. Once convinced that Voldemort would never take the Knight Bus to her neighborhood, she allowed herself to advance towards the entrance. She stopped as the doors opened and looked up. She smiled as her gaze met with a pair of blue eyes and messy red hair.




Harry and Draco sat huddled in a corner of the front entry way. They were able to hear Lucius and Bellatrix quite clearly. The intruders decided not to make any effort in keeping their voices down because of the impression that they were alone. Harry clenched his fist around his wand when he heard Bellatrix speak.

Once realizing that there was no one home to torment, Bella’s voice dropped to a more sinister tone, “I say we destroy the house and send them a message!”

Harry was angry enough to spit fire and moved to get up. Malfoy glared at him through the slits of his eyelids with his silver-blue eyes glistening and whispered, “Don’t you dare.”

Draco watched as his father took hold of Bellatrix on the arm and tried to calm his aunt down.

Lucius kept his vocal tone at a very calm and almost eerily peaceful level as he spoke, “Not so fast, Bella dear. We’ll return at another time. They can’t hide forever.”

Upon seeing her obviously disappointed facial expression, he offered her an alternative idea, “I have a compromise for you, however, as I believe leaving a message would be the polite thing to do. A warning, if you will.”

Bellatrix smiled and with a curt nod pointed her wand up towards the heavens. Harry’s face fell as he realized what she was about to do. He cursed silently and Draco closed his eyes when she opened her mouth to speak.

Morsmordre!

Bella looked at Lucius with a very satisfied smile, unaware of the two teens mere feet from them who wanted nothing more than to hex them into oblivion.

They were gone with a “pop!”

Harry and Draco threw off the invisibility cloak and ran out the door to find Hermione before she saw the Dark Mark hovering above her house.
Chapter 7 - Building Bridges by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
This chapter never would have seen the light of day without the help of my fantastic beta, Rita Writer and my patient cousin, Loralie. We dissected a piece of this chapter for over an hour via a very long IM... This chapter is where things begin to get both interesting and sticky. I hope you enjoy it. (Updates shouldn't take long as I have written up to Ch. 21.)
Chapter 7 “ Building Bridges

Hermione stared with a look of shock at the sight of her best friend and momentarily forgot about her current situation with her parents and the boys.

“Ronald! What brings you here at this hour? Are you alright?” She looked at him with her eyes wide open in concern.

Ron looked perplexed. He looked over his friend’s shoulder and waved at Mr. and Mrs. Granger nervously. He walked down the steps and exited the bus. Ron leaned in close to Hermione’s ear. Something seemed to be a bit off.

“Did I interrupt something, Hermione? I can go…”

The doors to the Knight Bus remained open, unsure of the destination of the red headed wizard.

Hermione licked her lips. “Well, it’s a bit confusing, really. I don’t quite know how to begin.”

The Grangers tried to pretend there was something fascinating about a rose bush and Hermione shuffled her feet. Even in the dark, one could see the nervous looks being passed amongst one another.

Ron asked again, feeling the tension.

“Should I leave, Hermione? I don’t want to be in the way. I was just about to go completely nutters if I had to watch Bill and Fleur making kissing faces any more. Ugh! I had to get out!”

Hermione wasn’t sure how to respond to the situation. She crossed her arms in front of her and shook her finger at her friend in a condescending manner. “Ronald, does your mum even know you are here? You could have gotten hurt!”

Once she saw the pleading look on her friend’s face, she softened slightly. “I see your point and I’m sure it’s driving your family a little batty. How is your””

Hermione stopped mid-sentence when she noticed a faint light coming from somewhere off to her left. Curious, she slowly moved her attention towards her childhood home and realized that it was glowing an eerie green color.

As the color drained from her face, Hermione lost all thought. She couldn't move, couldn't breath. Her world spun. She began to scream but stopped as she remembered the two people standing behind her.

She heard her parents gasp at the sight of the Dark Mark above their home.

The young witch tried to be calm and suddenly realized that the Knight Bus hadn’t left. Hermione turned to the man she knew to be Stan Shunpike and sputtered her next words nervously, trying to stay level headed.

“Excuse me sir? Can you transport my parents to Mr. Weasley’s home at the Burrow? We’re in a bit of a bind.”

Stan tipped his conductor’s hat down and bowed regally. He obviously had not seen the Dark Mark hovering above.

“Anything for a friend of Harry Potter.”

Hermione thanked Stan and turned to her parents.

“Mum? Dad - do you remember Molly and Arthur Weasley? You’re going to their house, okay?”

“Hermione Jane Granger, what is that thing floating above our house?” her father demanded.

Hermione bit her lower lip, desperately trying to think her way through the situation. Ron, thankfully stepped in between her and her parents.

“Sir, I think you really need to just trust the both of us on this. Please just get inside the bus and we promise to explain everything very soon…”

As they continued to ask their daughter questions, she gently prodded them up into the bus, handing them the fare to pay for their travels.

“Up you go! Give the Weasleys a hug for me and let them know we are fine. We just need to clean up a bit… Bye Mum! Bye Dad!”

They looked at each other with confused looks as they proceeded towards a place to sit and heard Ron yell, “Hang on tight!” as it (quite literally) took off.

Hermione ignored Ron’s extended hand and began running towards her house, not caring about the possibility of Death Eaters still being inside.

She took in a breath and let it go when she saw Harry and Draco walking towards them. She and Ron slowed their pace down to a brisk walk. Ron tried to focus on who he saw walking towards them and reached for his wand when he realised who it was.

Hermione grabbed his arm. “I can explain, Ron, but please don’t be mad.”

Ron began turning multiple shades of red. Harry approached the two of them and had a look that could only be described as one between disbelief and confusion.

“Ron? What are you doing here, mate?”

Hermione gasped at Harry’s lack of concern over the current emergency. She walked past Ron and stood inches from Harry and Draco with her eyes ablaze.

“Why is the Dark Mark over my house, Harry? Surely you didn’t…” She motioned between the two of them.

Draco snorted and looked almost offended. “Don’t be ridiculous, Hermione. You should know we have more class than that.”

Seeing the look on her face, he explained, “The Dark Mark was their idea of a joke, so to speak.” He looked over to Harry for support and he nodded at Hermione.

“That,” she spat, “was the cruellest so-called joke I have ever heard of.” She almost growled the last few words. She proceeded to ask more questions but was interrupted by the almost frantic breathing coming from behind her.

Ron was still staring at the blond wizard in front of him. “Malfoy…?” He clenched his fists.

Draco simply glared right back at him, matching him look for look and finally asked, “What are you doing here, Weasley?”

Hermione gave Draco a somewhat dirty look and sighed. Turning towards Ron, she pleaded, “Please just try to calm down and hear us out.” She walked back over to him in hope of deterring him from approaching the Slytherin boy.

Ron looked between his two best friends. Harry didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. He knew why Ron felt distressed but realised that it was similar to how he too had felt before the meeting with Dumbledore when everything was explained.

“Why is Ferret Boy at your house?”

Harry stepped forward wanting to end any sort of confrontation before it started. “Ron, let’s go for a walk.”

Their confused friend stepped back and looked incredulously at the three of them. “And leave him here with Hermione? You’re insane!”

Draco raised his hand as if he were asking permission to speak. He glanced in the direction of the raven-haired wizard, almost looking bored.

Motioning to Ron he said in an annoyed tone, “Harry, please calm your girlfriend down before this gets ugly. I would hate for things to get any messier than they already have been this evening.”

The witch gasped. “Draco, you’re not helping by making comments like that!”

“I’m sorry, Hermione, but this needs to get cleared up sooner rather than later, don’t you agree?”

Allowing her curiosity to get ahead of her, she interrupted to ask, “And what did you mean by ‘messier than they have already been’?” This made Harry laugh.

“Lucius knocked down your mum’s fruit bowl in the kitchen when he was sneaking around.”

Draco rolled his eyes, “He’s rather clumsy, actually. Stealthy, but clumsy.” Hermione did not look amused.

Ron silently watched the playful banter between the three people in front of him with a look that varied somewhere between disbelief and nausea. Hermione was reminded why they were standing in the middle of the street when she caught another glimpse of the Dark Mark out of the corner of her eye. Even with the knowledge that the mark was not real, its presence still made her feel uneasy. She wanted the evening to be done with and only saw one way of achieving that goal.

Facing her two best friends she announced suddenly, “Ron, go with Harry. I’ll be fine.”

“But Hermione, he’s our enemy!” Ron looked as if he was preparing for another argument.

Harry looked at Hermione with a pleading look. He mouthed the words, “help me.”

Draco saw the exchange and turned so that Ron was looking right at him. “Ron, I give you my word that I will never “ not tonight and not ever “ allow harm to come to Hermione.” He kept fierce eye contact with Ron, determined to prove his point. Harry and Hermione’s attention was now focused on the scene unfolding in front of them.

Ron shook his head trying to remain calm. “Malfoy, your word means very little to me. You come from a family of Death Eaters. You’ll have to try harder than that.”

At that comment, Draco raised the cuff of his shirt to reveal clean skin where the Dark Mark would normally be in view. “This will have to do for now. Go with Harry and let him explain. I’ll take Granger back to her house, and we’ll set up protective wards the second we set foot in the door, okay?” He was determined to see the plans through. It was his belief that Ron needed to be brought into the loop of things or the present alliance would crumble between Harry, Hermione, and himself.

Ron looked the blonde wizard in the eye and approached him, standing inches from his face. He was shaking by this point. It almost scared him how much anger he had inside towards the boy in front of him.

Ron seemed to be overcome with sudden clarity and said with a calm but spiteful tone, “If you harm one hair on her head, my wand will be the last thing you see in your short worthless life.”

He and Harry walked away.

Hermione and Draco slowly made eye contact and Draco smiled at her. “That went a lot better than I had imagined it would.” She shrugged and they embarked on a slow walk back to her house.

Minutes later, as her house came into view, Draco explained to Hermione what had happened earlier that evening while he and Harry were under the cloak. When he mentioned the Death Eaters planned to return, Hermione went pale. She slowed her pace down as they approached the front door.

“So now what? Leave my mum and dad in a house full of Weasleys for goodness knows how long?”

Draco grinned, “No, I’m trying to think of another less traumatizing solution. Just give me a few minutes.”

She put her hands on her hips and gave him an expectant look. “Well, let’s head inside, and I’ll make us some tea so you can mull things over.”

Draco stepped in the doorway ahead of her and blocked her entrance with a sly smile creeping across his face.

“Actually… you know what sounds really good? Better than tea?”

She hung her head down and sighed. He gave her his best puppy dog face as she looked into his eyes. He could tell she was losing control and he would break her willpower in seconds at the rate he was going. At the same time he was hoping that there were no other people within eyeshot to see this pathetic display. It was not very aristocratic, that was for sure.

“Fine, Malfoy,” she sighed. “I think we still have marshmallows left.” Seeing the look of triumph he was displaying, she continued, “Honestly, for being the son of one of the most feared Death Eaters, your love of a Muggle treat such as s’mores boggles the mind!”

They walked inside and headed for the kitchen, Draco following with an air of utter satisfaction.
Chapter 8 - Finishing Touches by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I looked at my story here that I had typed so far and then cringed when I saw the *two notebooks* which still need to be typed out and thought to myself, "I think this could become the world's longest fanfic!" Many thanks to the greatest long term beta in the known free world, RitaWriter. (Eliza you are very much appreciated.)
Chapter 8 “ Finishing Touches

Ron stared at Harry with a look of absolute disbelief. They had been walking down one of the streets in Hermione’s neighbourhood for approximately a half hour. During that time Harry had been trying to fill his best friend in on Draco’s visit and the conversations he had been a witness to.

“Blimey, Harry. Malfoy told you ALL of that? No truth serum? I dunno, mate. It seems to me like he was a little too willing to share.” Ron stopped walking and looked at Harry with a look of utter disbelief.

Harry understood Ron’s frustration and was trying to be patient with him, but he was also exhausted after the night they had been through. He was beginning to get short tempered.

“Honestly, Ron. Do I need to owl Dumbledore to explain? Do you see now why you were kept in the dark? We were worried “ and rightfully so, I might add “ that you wouldn’t give him a chance. We’ve been living peacefully for weeks together. You’re just going to have to trust me. He’s not in this for the wrong reasons.”

Ron sighed. He had no other choice. Every question asked, every issue resolved with plausible explanations for each.

“Okay, Harry. I believe you; just don’t expect me to greet him with a hug or anything. This will take me some time.”

Harry nodded, “That’s fair enough.”

They continued their walk back to their best friend’s house. The street lamps gave off enough light to allow them a decent view in every direction. There were trees lined up down the middle of the street they were exiting which gave it a small town feeling.

Ron suddenly stepped on to the curb in front of Harry and held his wand out in front of him. Before Harry could react, the Knight Bus appeared, once again. The doors opened revealing a slightly confused Stan Shunpike.

“What are you doing Ron? Are you leaving? You don’t have to go!”

Ron smirked. “Don’t be daft. Care to join me in retrieving the Grangers from the Weasley clutches?”

Harry shook his head at the thought. “Oh, no ” picture your dad asking them question after question about life as a Muggle. We need to hurry.” He laughed and cringed at the same time as he imagined poor Mr. Granger trying to appease Arthur Weasley’s endless line of questions.

Nodding, Ron added, “I hope he hasn’t started on the subject of spark plugs…”

They stepped onto the platform of the Knight Bus. Stan looked forward.

Ron pointed ahead of them, holding tightly to the strap dangling in front of him. “One more time to the Burrow!”




Draco and Hermione were asleep on individual recliners when Ron and Harry returned. They had apparently fallen asleep watching the television because it continued to play in the background. Hermione was curled in a small ball and Draco was lying on his back reclined with his mouth open slightly.

Mr. and Mrs. Granger had a green hue to them as they walked in the door “ most likely the after effects of riding on the Knight Bus twice in one night. They looked around the front of the house in a daze.

Arthur Weasley joined them to assist in a small matter and whispered to Harry, “Do me a favour and divert their attention away from me.”

Harry nodded although he did not know why he was about to comply. He looked over to the Grangers and began asking them about an antique looking item on the mantelpiece.

When Hermione’s parents turned around, Arthur sprang into action.

Obliviate!

Mr. and Mrs. Granger looked at Harry and Ron after the memory moderation spell had been cast. The red-headed boy got a look of surprise from them.

“Ron, what a pleasant surprise!” Mrs. Granger gave him a quick hug, still obviously displaced. “ It is a bit late for a visit but I suppose you could share Harry’s room. Harry, you know where the inflatable mattress is, right dear?”

Harry mumbled in the affirmative, still amused at what a good job Arthur had done with the spell.

Her husband nodded, rubbing his eyes. “Yes. Why do I get the feeling that it has been a long night? I feel as if I have been running a marathon!”

Coming out of his daze, Harry placed his hand on Mr. Granger’s shoulder and led them down the hall towards the bedroom they shared. “You two sleep well. I’ve got everything covered out here.”

As they walked to their room looking slightly displaced, Arthur walked out of his hiding place. He looked slightly apologetic for what he had just done to the two Muggles.

“They won’t recall anything about their trip to our house,” he told Harry who had returned from escorting the two back to their bedroom. “They’ll think they took a nice long walk together. I hate to run but I didn’t really explain much to Molly when I left.”

He motioned to the sleeping teenagers. “I have to admit, I never thought I would see the day. I’m glad to see everything working out, Harry.”

With a Pop! he was gone.

Ron looked over at the sleeping forms of his friend and the Slytherin next to her. Despite what had been explained to him, he was still a little uneasy at the site in front of him. He looked over to his best friend for some guidance. “So do we leave them here?”

Harry nodded his head. “I am not lifting another finger. Come help me get your bed together. You’ll love it “ it’s full of air.”

That got his friend’s attention. “Seriously? Wow. I have to see this!”

Twenty minutes later, the house was completely dark with its occupants asleep.




Harry awoke to the sound of his bedroom door opening. At first he thought Ron went to satisfy his never ending need for food. He looked up and instead found a blonde wizard on his bed, or at least that’s what he thought he was looking at. He was too tired to put his glasses on to affirm his suspicion.

“Yes, Malfoy?”

“’Bout time, you lazy bum. We need to talk.” Harry felt the bed repress slightly as Draco whispered loud enough for him to hear.

Harry groaned. “Are you serious? Now? Ron kept me up all night with his snoring.” He pointed to his friend sleeping soundly on the floor.

Draco ignored him and proceeded with his line of thought, “Last night made me realize that Hermione’s parents are really no longer safe here.”

Sitting up, Harry gave a slight nod, “I agree, but what do you suggest we do about that? I assume you have some sort of brilliant plan or you wouldn’t have dared to wake me up this early on a Sunday.”

“Well, I might, but I feel odd talking about it or bringing it up. This was a lot less awkward when it was just a thought in my head.”

Harry put his glasses on. “Go on, spill it.”

“Godric’s Hollow.”

Harry flinched briefly but nodded. “It makes sense, but it’s a known residence of my family’s, and from what Lupin tells me, Voldemort sends his people out there fairly frequently. Is that how you knew about it?”

“Yeah,” Draco mumbled.

Watching the look of disappointment on Draco’s face, Harry found the need to elaborate on what he had just said.

“It was an excellent idea, Malfoy. I wish it was that easy to solve this problem but we’ll just have to brainstorm with the others and try to find something else that might work. Thanks, though, for telling me your idea. I’m glad that you are willing to help and happy to see you take the initiative of stepping up and introducing an idea. Hermione will be pleased and you may score some points with Ron.”

They both shook their head, smiling. Draco got up and as he closed the door to the bedroom, he looked down at Ron and whispered, “One step at a time, Potter. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”




The four teens sat in the kitchen trying to think of a way that they could convince Mr. and Mrs. Granger to leave their home and find a safe hideout until the danger has passed. As they sat talking amongst themselves, they heard a familiar tapping on the window.

They all snapped out of their conversation and waited as Hermione made her way to the window to retrieve the letter.

Ron groaned, “Probably an alert from the Ministry about an upcoming Death Eater attack on the house to rub in the fact that we are running out of time.”

Hermione bit her lip as she opened the envelope. Her facial features eased up tremendously.

“Oh, this is brilliant! Of course, I should have thought of it myself, it’s so obvious!”

She had everyone’s attention. Draco pushed through the crowd.

“Well, what does it say? It better contain good news…”

She smiled. “Dumbledore has, once again, come through for us. Listen to this:

Miss Granger and Friends:

It has come to my attention that there was an attempted Death Eater attack at your house. Thankfully your parents were not in the house and you had the support of each other. (I also hope everything came out fine with Mr. Weasley.) Please give the following letter to your parents as I believe we can lead them to a safe destination and keep it pleasant as well. Keep your heads up and your ears open.

A. Dumbledore


Draco bit into an apple as Hermione proceeded to read the attached letter to her friends. Draco looked intrigued after hearing what the headmaster had planned.

“Hmm… a vacation to the tropics? Original, I’ll give him that.” He turned to look at Hermione. “Do you think they’ll do it “ just pack up and go?”

Harry shrugged. “The way Dumbledore wrote it, he made clear the danger of staying here and offered them an alternative which would be pleasant and maybe give them some much needed time alone. They can think of it like a second honeymoon.”

Hermione cleared her throat. “Third.”

Harry slowly turned towards his best friend. “S’cuse me?”

Hermione gave him a casual grin and reiterated what she had said.

“They took a second honeymoon the year I started at Hogwarts. I still don’t know where they went.” She diverted her eyes in irritation. Ron laughed when he came into her line of sight and she blushed. Ron watched her for a lingering moment and reached into the fruit bowl, finding a banana.

Harry sighed. “Fine, a third honeymoon. The point is, it’s not written to look like they are being disposed of and it’s a pleasant trip to a nice place. Heck, I would go in their place if it weren’t for this bloody war!”

Draco looked over Harry’s shoulder at the letter, it’s edges curling slightly in the boy’s hands. “So now we wait?”

Harry sighed. “Now we wait.”
Chapter 9 - Organized Chaos by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I would like to thank my beta Rita Writer for not only pulling me out of the capitalization hell I was in but also for sticking it out through this entire story! The characters are JKR's but the plot is all mine - muHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Chapter 9: Organized Chaos

Approximately an hour and a half later, Hermione’s parents returned home to the faces of four suddenly quiet teenagers.

Her mother, always the astute one, spoke first. “Okay, where is the mess? What’s broken? Who got hurt?”

“Sorry, Mum, you’re not even close. We have good news, though.”

She looked perplexed. Taking his cue, Ron walked up to Mr. and Mrs. Granger. “You got mail while you were gone. It came by owl so we naturally thought they got the name wrong and we opened it. Sorry ” turns out it really was for you guys.”

Hermione’s father took the letter from a grinning Ron who then backed up into the ranks of fellow students along the counter. He cautiously opened it as if it was going to blow up in his hands.

He and his wife read the letter, their eyes widening as they made their way down the parchment. When finished reading, they looked up at the teens.

“Surely this is some sort of a joke?”

“No sir,” the boys answered. They looked at each other and Ron shrugged in agreement.

Hermione added, “It was written by the Headmaster himself.”

“Well, what about the practice? We can’t just close for goodness knows how long, can we?” Mr. Granger was almost incoherent as he spoke his concerns to his wife and anyone else who would listen.

Draco decided to try turning on the Malfoy charm. He stepped in front of Hermione, gently pushing her to the side as he spoke. She stayed close behind him, almost holding on to his black silk shirt.

“Sir, if you don’t mind me saying, from what Hermione has told us, your dentistry is thriving and there are several fully capable employees that can carry it for a while. You really do seem like generous people and should treat yourself to a vacation.”

He smirked as he watched the other three fellow students stare at him with their eyes coming out of their sockets in shock. Ron seemed to be stifling his laughter.

Hastily he added, “Honestly, it takes a true saint to deal with me as it is. Now you have Weasley here as well? Please, go relax for a while! You’ll thank me later.”

Ron stood there, nodding his head smiling, “Yeah, I’ll give him that.”

Mrs. Granger walked away with tears in her eyes and her cellular phone in her hands. Hermione ran up to her in concern. Harry followed, glancing back at Draco with a shocked look mouthing, What did you do?

“Mum, what are you doing?”

“Honey, I am calling the clinic and telling them that we are taking leave for a while. That speech was enough to convince anyone to take a vacation!”

Her father watched his wife leave the room and ran his fingers through his hair. “Well, I suppose that settles it. When do we leave?”




Hermione, Harry, Ron and Draco were back sitting at the kitchen table after bidding farewell to the Grangers. Now that her parents were gone, Hermione had asked what they would be doing next.

“Obviously we’re not safe here.”

Harry nodded, “That’s why we’re not staying.”

They all looked up from their cups of hot chocolate in question. Draco turned to face The-Boy-Who-Always-Seemed-to-Have-a-Plan.

“We’re listening, Potter. Go on…”

Harry stood up to face his friends. “Tonks and Professor Lupin are taking us to headquarters tomorrow.” He let out a breath that he was not aware of holding and looked at those seated around him.

Ron shifted. “So all we have to do now is get through the next twelve to twenty four hours and not get attacked by Death Eaters in the process, right? Yeah, okay. So who’s up for some Exploding Snap?”

Hermione ignored him and stood up next to Harry. “I’ll take first watch.”

“I’ll help you, then,” said another voice from behind her.

She shook her head, “No, Draco. I’ll use Harry’s cloak so I’m not seen. You’re so tall that with two of us under it, someone’s feet or head is bound to show.”

They agreed and then they were off to practice more aggressive duelling. Draco agreed to work with them on what he was taught as an up and coming Death Eater. After a few hours of work they retreated to the house for showers and cleaned up.

If an acquaintance of any of the four saw them make dinner that night, they would be beside themselves in shock:

Ron was cutting up the salad ingredients, albeit slowly since he had to do it the Muggle way.

Draco was in charge of preparing dessert, though he silently cursed when the mixer splattered chocolate on his new silk shirt.

Harry was cooking noodles for their spaghetti. Having lived as a Muggle all of his life, he took random noodles (when Hermione had her back turned, of course) and threw them on the ceiling to test if they were fully cooked.

Of course, in the middle of the mess that was her kitchen, there was Hermione dabbling in each person’s station making corrections and testing foods.

In the end, quite a feast was to be eaten. Manners were used at the table and conversations flowed steadily.

Draco leaned over for a second serving of spaghetti, cringed and looked at the person next to him.

“Merlin, Ron. My stomach still hurts from that disarming spell. I have to say I was impressed.”

Ron shrugged. “Hey, I said ‘please’, mate. You refused to cooperate!”

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, shaking their heads. They never imagined they would see the day there would be any sort of compliments between the two let alone hearing Ron call him, “mate.” War can indeed bring out the best in people.




The time finally came for them to try getting some rest. Hermione thanked Harry for the use of his invisibility cloak and bid the boys a pleasant evening. Little did she know that they were all worried sick about her and had no plans to sleep. As she got comfortable on the sofa, the three boys grabbed their bedding and moved closer to the bedroom door in the room they were sharing.

Hermione would be protected, if not anyone else.




In the early morning hours before the sun was on the horizon, there was a pop! heard, followed by a second one.

Hermione jumped, but she was aware enough to keep herself covered.

A certain blonde Slytherin heard it too. He woke the others, careful not to make a sound.

Hermione tried to keep her breathing steady so not to call attention to herself. She tried to listen for any signs as to where the unwanted visitors were. Something was dropped in the kitchen but she also heard what she knew to be the broken floor board in the entry way as well.

She gulped. Okay, they are both in different parts of the house, she thought.

Harry decided to try taking a peek into the hall. His wand raised, he glanced in both directions and returned to his position next to Ron and Draco. They placed a silencing spell on the door.

“I saw a shadow in the entryway, but weren’t there TWO arrivals?”

The two boys nodded in agreement. Draco whispered, “They must be separated ” smart on their part but scary for four underage wizards…” He held up his finger motioning for silence, “Hold on a minute… Accio Malfoy invisibility cloak!”

Ron shook his head at the blond. “You actually named it?”

Draco smacked him across the head, irritated. “No, you dolt. I didn’t want to accidentally summon Harry’s cloak off of Hermione so I was specific. I wasn’t sure it would even work.”

When he saw him put his cloak on, Harry went to join him.

“No, Harry. You need to stay with Ron.”

Harry’s mouth fell open in shock. “That’s insane, Malfoy! My best friend is in a room with possibly two Death Eaters who will kill her simply because she is not a Pureblood! Ron”” who Harry pointed to for emphasis “”doesn’t need a bloody babysitter either! I’m going.”

Harry stepped forward and Draco put his hand on Harry’s chest to, once again, stop him.

“Potter, think about it. If something happens, YOU know how to get to headquarters or you could at least summon someone with that Patronus that I have heard so much about it could drive me to vomit. If I get hurt and Granger is safe, Weasley can take her to the Burrow. We have to do this as a team or they”” he motioned to the door “”will win this, and I refuse to let him win!”

Draco’s face was red with the concentration of trying to stay calm. Harry sighed and dropped his head, “You’re right.” He looked directly into Malfoy’s eyes. “Be safe.”

Ron added, “Please keep Hermione safe. I... erm, we would be lost without her.”

“I won’t let either of them hurt her, Ron. Remember? I have already given my word.”

With that, Draco took a deep breath, covered himself with the cloak and quietly opened the door revealing an empty hallway.




Lucius silently cursed as he stepped over the bowl he had knocked over when he had arrived in the Granger’s kitchen.

If I was without class, I would simply blow the whole house up and be done with it, he thought. He walked towards the adjoining room which happened to be the living room where Hermione was hiding under the invisibility cloak.

Hermione’s eyes got to be as big as dinner plates when she saw the Death Eater walk into the room. Holding the cloak tightly around her, she wondered if it was the same two Death Eaters as the other night. She wondered also, if they were, which one she was looking at.




Bellatrix Lestrange took in her surroundings. She walked into the house a bit further. Lord Voldemort was not happy due to the recent disappearance of her nephew, Draco. She was about to fulfil her master’s wish of presenting the younger Malfoy with the Dark Mark. They had hopes for the boy, and with the Mark he could be summoned at a moment’s notice. The Dark Lord liked to be in control, and when Draco not only refused his Mark, but was transported away by an unknown Portkey or some sort, he because very angry.

In retaliation, he picked the names of a few families who were not pure blood, but Muggle-born, or “Mudbloods” which literally means “dirty blood”. He disbursed a handful of his Death Eater followers to those homes, ordering the families within to be destroyed, be as messy or as neat as they liked.

The most important name on that list was that of the Grangers. Harry Potter’s friend was a weakness to him and if his Mudblood friend was killed, Harry would become vulnerable and Voldemort himself would most certainly win the war. This particular family would be destroyed by his most trusted followers.

Bellatrix walked into the living room to join Lucius.

“We need to check every room. We will meet out here when finished,” she whispered harshly.

Harry had overheard what Bellatrix had said and tried to formulate a way out. An idea came to him and he raised his wand. Knowing that the silencing charm was activated in the room, he walked to the open window and said, “Expecto Patronum!

His silvery stag Patronus appeared. He commanded, “Find Dumbledore. Hurry!”

It took off quickly. Ron looked worried.

“So do we just wait here like a pair of sitting ducks?”

Harry shook his head. “No, this is for real. Be ready to strike, but keep it simple. You’d be surprised what a good jelly legs jinx can do!”

Ron nodded, his confidence building, “Yeah, we’ll watch each other’s backs in case they both show up.”

They heard footsteps. The red headed wizard nodded towards his best friend. “Show time.”

Watching the bedroom door, Harry replied confidently.

“Bring it on.”
Chapter 10 - You're Not Alone by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I'm not beating around the bush... This is my favorite chapter. I had a lot of fun writing it and I hope my loyal and faithful readers (you!) enjoy reading it as well.Thank you to Rita Writer, the world's greatest long term beta as well as babekitty_92 for helping look over this one. Thanks to my mentor, Keryn for her assistance with wording too! I promised MsRowling that I would only take the characters out to play for a bit so I should return them after you read this.
Chapter 10 “ You’re Not Alone


Draco tiptoed past his aunt and father towards what he knew to be Hermione’s chair. He knelt next to it and whispered just loud enough for her to hear.

“It’s me, Hermione. Don’t be afraid.”

Hermione, still completely covered by the cloak, reached out to touch him, finding him to the left.

Lucius and Bellatrix were in the hall having a heated discussion on whether or not they should bring back Hermione alive as a bargaining chip or just finish the family off as a whole. Draco took the opportunity to tell Hermione their plan.

“Look, we need to sneak you back into the bedroom. Ron is ready to take you to the Burrow.”

Hermione bit her tongue and tried to quietly express her frustration.

“Back to the Burrow? How does he plan on doing that? Sneak to a fireplace and floo back? Try Apparating on a whim?”

“The Knight Bus. It’s our only option. He will sneak you out the window, and Harry and I will use our invisibility cloaks to try to head my aunt and father out.

She shook her head even though he was unable to see it. “No, I’m not running away”you’ll be killed!”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Granger.”

“You know what I meant. You made Voldemort angry, not to mention your aunt and father. Forgiveness is not in their nature, especially for defending a Mudblood like me.”

“Hermione, you could bring us help if you were able to get to the Burrow.”

At that moment they heard silence. Draco moved stealthily towards the hall. When she noticed he was no longer there, she went towards the bedroom as she was asked to go, assuming that was the direction he was headed in.


The younger Malfoy stopped before turning the corner, and he reached out as he felt her sneak by. He silently cursed under his breath, as she was just out of his reach and proceeded to follow when he heard a gasp.

Draco’s heart fell.

As he turned the corner, he found himself face to (cloaked) face with a Death Eater holding a wand to Hermione’s throat, her back to her hooded enemy. Draco prepared to make himself known, watching the situation in front of him unfold quickly.

Harry and Ron listened carefully from behind the bedroom door.

Bellatrix quietly cackled at the situation.

“Well, well, well… I’ve caught myself a Mudblood witch! What do you think, my dear? Do we kill you quickly or let you die a slow, excruciatingly painful death?”

Lucius volunteered his opinion. “I’d say slowly is best.”

Draco jumped. His father was standing approximately five feet behind him! Draco slowly moved to the wall farthest from him and the one closest to Hermione.

Bellatrix nodded towards Lucius, encouraging him to begin his torture. He raised his wand.

“Cruc””

Draco threw his cloak off and yelled, “NO!” He held his wand to his father’s chest.

Lucius laughed but at the same time showed a look of shock and horror that his son was not only alive but he was defending a Mudblood.

“Draco,” he drawled, “What are you doing here? Why are you defending this worthless piece of filth?”

Draco stood up straight and walked a step closer. He took a quavering breath before speaking.

“Hermione is my friend and a better person than anyone in this room could ever dream of being.”

Hearing this, Harry and Ron walked out of the room they had been secluded in, both of their wands pointed at Bellatrix from behind. Lucius smirked.

“Oh, isn’t this a cozy picture… The-Boy-Who-Refuses-To-Die and his sidekick.”

Ron kept his wand aimed at the witch in front of him, and, without taking his eyes off of her said, “Let Hermione go, Bellatrix. She’s done nothing to you.” His hands were quivering from the adrenaline and the sight of Hermione so helpless in front of him.

Hermione was visibly shaking. It became very quiet for a few moments. Suddenly, they heard a series of pops and were surrounded by a witch and two wizards.

Tonks, Bill Weasley and Remus Lupin, sent by the Order, immediately rushed to help the teens.

Bellatrix pointed her wand at Remus Lupin, and in the process, threw Hermione to the floor. Draco pulled her to a safe corner. As Bellatrix tried to throw a curse at Lupin, three more came at her from Tonks, Harry and Ron.

Expelliarmus!”

“Incarcerous!”

“Furnunculus!


The combination of spells worked surprisingly well. Bill looked at them for a split moment and commented, “That last one was brilliant, Ron. Who taught you that?” Ron nodded towards his best friend sitting in the corner with the Slytherin.

Draco looked in the direction of his aunt. Her wand was down the hall due to the disarming spell. She was bound with ropes and covered in boils. Lucius sneered and raised his wand in the direction of Ron, who was turned towards his brother but was suddenly hit with a curse from behind.

Petrificus Totalus!

The elder Malfoy fell flat to the ground. Hermione smirked. Draco looked over to her.

“That smirk was worthy of a Malfoy, Granger. I’m rubbing off on you.”

Harry looked confused. “Who hit Lucius?”

Hermione pointed to the blonde wizard next to her. “You can thank this one here.”

Ron stepped over (“accidentally” stepping on) Bellatrix and extended his hand to Draco. Malfoy pulled himself up with Ron’s help and shook it. Hermione cleared her throat and Ron laughed as Harry helped her up as well.

“Sorry, Hermione.”

While the four students were cleaning themselves up and checked each other over, Bill and Tonks levitated the restrained Death Eaters off the floor. Lupin looked towards Harry.

“I’m not sure how safe you’ll be here now. You might think about getting a head start to headquarters tonight.”

Harry nodded. “I’ll run it by them.” He motioned with his hand in the direction of his friends.

Ron clapped Harry’s shoulder having overheard the conversation. “Too late, mate. We packed before dinner, remember? Let’s get out of here.”

Hermione joined them, cringing as she observed her childhood home. “I agree. I’d feel much safer away from here.”

Draco walked up towards the trio. “There’s no way I’m being left here, so I hope you’ve got some room for me as well.”

Tonks and Lupin Apparated with the Death Eaters and left. Fifteen minutes later, the teens made sure everything was cleaned up from the battle in the hall and furniture went back to their original spots. Bill locked up the house and did a final check of the Granger property. Everyone shrunk their things and walked to a quiet corner of the neighborhood, summoning the Knight Bus with their wands.




By the time Harry, Ron, Draco and Hermione walked in the door of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place, the sun was peeking over the horizon. Everyone was exhausted. Harry told them to keep their voices down so as to not wake the others who were already there. Stepping in front of his friends, Ron whispered loudly enough for everyone to hear, “And if anyone wakes that picture”” he pointed to an adjacent wall where a curtain was drawn “”I will hex you into next week, I will!”

Hermione motioned to Draco as if saying she would explain later.

Harry showed Malfoy to his room which was between his own and the bathroom. Hermione’s room was opposite of Harry’s, and Ron slept one floor higher because his snoring was so loud.

Once everyone was situated, Harry called for the house elf who appeared with a loud Crack!. Looking down, Harry greeted his loyal servant.

“Hello, Dobby. How are things?”

Looking at Harry, the house-elf seemed to suddenly realize who was speaking to him. “Oh, Harry Potter, sir! You has returned! His Dobby is so happy.” Bowing low, Dobby asked, “Would sir be wanting some breakfast?”

Harry shook his head, “No, Dobby, but I do have a favor to ask of you…”

Dobby interrupted, eager to please. “Anything, Harry Potter, sir!”

Harry knelt down so he was eye to eye with the elf. Dobby gripped the glistening white tea cozy he wore with anticipation radiating from his eyes.

“I have guests here, Dobby. Do you remember Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger?” Dobby nodded again. Harry continued, “They are in their rooms but there is one other guest that I need you to help in feeling welcome here. Give him whatever he requests. He is a good person, I promise.”

His eyes wide with attentiveness, Dobby asked, “Who is this person, Harry Potter?”

Taking a deep breath, he responded, “Draco Malfoy.”

Dobby’s face fell and he disappeared with a snap of his fingers. Harry panicked, “Wait, Dobby! It’s okay…”, but Dobby had already gone.

The house elf appeared seconds later in Draco’s room. The sound of Dobby appearing caused the blonde to grab his wand in case it was an intruder.

Dobby gasped. “Don’t be angry, Master Malfoy! I is only wanting to see if it is really you, sir.”

Draco sat up a bit higher in his bed and rubbed his eyes. “Dobby?” They smiled awkwardly at each other.

“Dobby, I’m sure we have a lot to discuss but can we talk another time? We have all had a long night, and I am exhausted.”

The house-elf agreed and bowed at the younger Malfoy, disappearing once again. Within minutes Draco’s head hit the pillow and he slept soundly until lunchtime.
Chapter 11 - Getting Reaquainted by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
Not a whole lot to say here, really... I would like to pledge my undying love and gratefulness to my fantabulous beta, Rita Writer. I would also like to thank my friends in the Slytherin CR for their support. All characters belong to the amazing JKR. I'm just taking them out to play for a while.
Chapter 11

Harry was the first to wake up the next day. He went to his favourite spot by the window in the study and sat next to the window gazing aimlessly out the window. Mrs. Weasley was owled by Harry when they arrived early that morning to notify her as to where they would be and what had transpired that night at Hermione’s. She responded quickly, noting that she was pleased with their decision to move and thanked him for the update, hinting that she may Floo in and cook them breakfast.


Harry was looking through the book Hogwarts, A History when the sound of the door opening caused him to jump. He quickly put the book down. Hermione laughed.


“Too late, I already saw it. I knew you’d break down and read it someday.”


Harry walked towards her smiling. “The joke is on you, Hermione. I’ve read it twice.”


Looking around, Hermione asked, “So how long are we staying?”


Hermione sat down across from Harry in an armchair. He looked at her, ignoring the last question. “Professor Dumbledore is working on the wards around the school and would rather we didn’t return until it is finished. Sometime next week, he was guessing.” Hermione’s eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.


“We’re returning to Hogwarts? When?”


Draco walked in barefoot, wearing pajama bottoms and a button down sleep shirt. Harry and Hermione looked up at him. Harry answered, “Next week, maybe sooner.”


Looking unimpressed at his surroundings, Malfoy asked, “So what does one do for excitement around here?” He looked down at the chair below him before sitting down slowly as if checking for imperfections.


Ron walked in sleepily. “So Harry, Malfoy “ fancy a game of Quidditch after breakfast?” He let out a rather loud yawn as he made himself comfortable in an armchair.


Draco’s did a double take in Ron’s direction as if he was trying to comprehend what he had heard. “Seriously?” Hermione smiled in response. He nodded slowly as he took everything in. “This may be a better week than I thought it would be!”


Harry laughed. “Well Malfoy, I must say that if you think Quidditch is a highlight of staying here, wait until you have some of Mrs. Weasley’s cooking. You’ll never want to leave!”






Harry was right. By the time they were done eating, Draco had a very satisfied look on his face. Mrs. Weasley marvelled silently to herself about how handsome the boy could be when he wasn’t busy terrorizing other people.

While the boys got showered and dressed after a large meal cooked by Mrs. Weasley, Hermione took her time in a wonderfully fragrant bubble bath. She found her lavender scented soap in her trunk and put on her headphones while listening to her CD player that she had brought from home. Dumbledore allowed her to enchant it to work in the wizarding world.


Hermione was in the middle of one of her favourite songs when she thought she heard a heavy knocking sound at the door. Slightly irritated, she removed her headphones so she could address the noise.


“Can’t a girl get 30 minutes of rest without being disrupted?” she called out in a cross-sounding tone to whoever was at the door. She pictured

Ron trying to ask some silly question. How dare he intrude upon her peace!


It opened a crack. The voice of Molly Weasley was heard.


“Sorry, Hermione, dear. I don’t mean to interrupt but Ginny is waiting for you in your room when you are finished with your bath. I was on my way up here and offered to pass along the message.”


Hermione cringed after hearing who it was.


Oops. Wrong Weasley. She took a quick breath, cursing at herself for acting so thoughtlessly.


“Oh, sorry Mrs. Weasley. Thank you. I’ll be out in ten minutes. I suppose I am beginning to resemble a prune anyways.”


She heard Ron’s mother giggle quietly as she closed the door behind her. She was pleased that Ginny had arrived. Well, at least I will have a female to talk to while we’re here.


She grabbed her towel after putting her music player on a nearby shelf and began to drain the water after stepping out of the tub. She dried off and got dressed fairly quickly, grabbing her favourite pair of jeans, a nice camisole and button-down shirt. Finally, without much trouble, she contorted her hair into a decent looking French twist. She took one more look at herself and when she was satisfied she walked out to meet her good friend.


Hermione approached her bedroom door and saw that it was already open.


“Hey Ginny! I miss… Ginny? Are you hiding?” Hermione looked around her room and found no sign of the fiery redhead. Sighing, she headed for the kitchen.


When she walked in, she was greeted by Mrs. Weasley making what looked to be a platter full of sandwiches, presumably for the members of the Order who were due to come by that day. Hermione looked at her.


“Mrs. Weasley? I thought you said Ginny was waiting for me in my room. I couldn’t find her anywhere.”


“Oh yes, sorry dear. The boys needed one more person for Quidditch and she volunteered to help them out. She has become quite good, you know.”


Hermione groaned. So much for company, she thought. She decided she would take a few books with her to the makeshift pitch and watch her friends for a bit. She thought she might as well be sociable.


Hermione found her friends trying to show off to each other moves they had seen the professionals do. Hermione waved at them as she approached and made herself comfortable on a large blanket. The game broke for lunch a while later and continued until dinner, and that was their routine for the next several days. Hermione got a nice tan while watching them play (not to mention the hours of reading she got done!), and the others got fresh air while playing a sport they loved.


The teens were having dinner after one of the games when the fireplace blazed an amazing green color. Out walked Albus Dumbledore wearing beautiful robes of burgundy and orange. He approached the table while everyone was eating, and they invited him to take a seat.


“I cannot stay long as we are getting ready for the upcoming school year, but I wanted to let you all know that you can return to Hogwarts as soon as you would like to. Your rooms are ready, although Mr. Malfoy, you are welcome to stay with Harry and Ron in the Gryffindor Tower until the others arrive so you aren’t by yourself in the dungeon.”


Draco nodded his appreciation and suddenly everyone got a little jittery. They began to look at each other in anticipation, but surprisingly enough, it was Ron who spoke up first.


“Well, I don’t know about you guys, but I am on my way upstairs to pack. I’m ready for a change of scenery.” He looked at the table and his friends began to stand up one by one and follow his lead upstairs.


Harry looked at a somewhat shocked looking Mrs. Weasley. He shrugged his shoulders and gave her a half smile.


“Sorry, but I don’t see the point in him going by himself, do you?” He left the room before she could answer.


Ginny was in Hermione’s room while watching her pack.


“It’s not fair that I have to stay behind with Mum while you guys have fun by yourselves. It’s like you’re going on an adventure.”


Hermione gave her a sympathetic smile and a quick hug. “We’re only doing this to keep Draco safe. I would love to have a normal summer with my family.” She stood back and Ginny saw the slightest hint of sadness in her friend’s eyes.


With that final thought, Hermione and Ginny brought her trunk into the study by the fireplace and joined the boys. There was a special Portkey set up to transport the students to the platform at nine and three-quarters. (That decision was made when they concluded that Hogsmeade would be too public of a place so soon after the attack on Hermione’s house.)


They each said their goodbyes and thanked everyone for taking them in. After the farewells were said, everyone placed a finger on a wooden spoon and the sensation of being pulled by their belly buttons took over. Everything around them began to spin, and the next thing they knew they were facing the Hogwarts Express.
Chapter 12 - Can We Talk? by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
In all fairness, I *tried* to update this a couple of weeks ago but it was rejected. I have fixed what they said needed to be fixed and, if all goes well, I will receive a conirmation e-mail instead of one of those that make poor desperate authors cry... Thanks to my beta Rita Writer for her insight and my readers for their patience.


Chapter 12


Hermione, Harry, Draco and Ron were sitting in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express on their way back to school. It was an odd feeling for the four of them to be sitting together. A year ago they would have been trading nasty glances back and forth to one another from several hundred feet away. That wasn’t the case this day. They were sitting close, whispering and laughing about the past that they had recently come to terms with.


Draco raised his finger in the air, trying to make a point. “May I just say, Granger, that you have quite the wicked right hand. I avoided you for a week after that day because of the bloody bruise you gave me. I was too sore to even insult you!”


Hermione blushed but shrugged nonchalantly. “Well, I’m sorry, but laughing at the prospect of Buckbeak being killed was insensitive and heartless. That was downright rude and you needed to be put in your place.”


“I admit that I was a prat, but could you at least try to see it from my point of view?” Draco scooted away from her, suddenly feeling himself move to the defensive. “That horsey-bird almost killed me when we were in class. You can’t blame me for being a little eager to see the deed done, right?” He looked to Ron and Harry for support.


Harry couldn’t help but add, “See, now… if you had only bowed before approaching him, he may have simply allowed you to pet him and he might have even taken you for a ride. But noooooooo, you had to be your old pompous self and strut on up to him.” Harry ducked as Draco threw a licorice wand at him.


Harry, Hermione and Draco looked over and noticed that Ron was being unusually quiet in the corner. Hermione put her hand on his thigh in concern. “What’s wrong, Ron? You look almost sad.”


Ron sheepishly looked around and while looking down at the floor of the compartment and said, “I just got to thinking, that’s all.”


Draco raised one eyebrow and said, “Uh, oh. Stand clear everyone.”


Ron shook his head and focused his attention on the Slytherin next to him. “No. It’s just… well, look at us! We’re laughing together about events which, until not too long ago, we were still quite passionate about! I never cared to try looking at life from your point of view and I don’t envy your situation at all, Malfoy. On top of all of that - I mean seriously - you guys,” he said, pointing to Hermione and Harry, “had to keep him a secret because you were afraid of what I would do to him! What kind of person does that make me?”


Hermione patted his back as Harry tried to reassure him. “It’s okay, mate. After the last five years we have spent together in school, it’s a natural assumption for someone in our position to make!” He motioned to the witch next to him and explained, “Believe me, Hermione and I were not easily convinced about Draco changing his ways. Let’s face it - he has always been a royal pain.”


Malfoy was sitting across from Harry, nodding in agreement.


Harry continued. “Dumbledore had to reiterate many times how the good outweighed the bad. I think, in retrospect, we would have been more willing to take in Snape than Malfoy at first.”


Draco snickered upon hearing this. “I know… I didn’t make anything easy for you guys. I was being so stupid. But take a look at who I spent my time with “ Crabbe and Goyle? I had to stay entertained somehow! With them, it was like talking to a brick wall. Seeing the four of us today, I realize now how different it would have been if I had come from a different background or, at least, if my father was not an issue.”


Stopping, Malfoy pretended to stroke his chin. Raising an eyebrow, he continued. “There would have only been one problem that I could foresee.”


The witch across from him looked confused. “A problem? Where?”


He winked at her and said, “You wouldn’t catch me dead in the Gryffindor robes. I much prefer the Slytherin green.”


They all groaned and started throwing Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans at him.


Draco held his hands up in a defensive stance, “Hey! It was getting too mushy for my taste.”





After exiting the train, they met up with Hagrid, who would be escorting them back to the castle.


“Harry, how are ye doin’?” He walked over to the young wizard and clapped him on the back in an affectionate greeting. He almost knocked him down due to his large size and the force of his friendly gesture. “It’s nice ta see the three of ye back ‘ere!”


Ron stepped up to the half giant to shake his hand. “Actually, Hagrid… we’ve sort of become a quartet. Just don’t tell him I said that.” Ron motioned towards Draco. “He’ll think we are going soft.” He motioned in the direction of Malfoy who was walking towards them.


Hagrid looked at the blonde and back to Ron and Harry. Hermione affirmed everything after seeing Hagrid become tense.


“Its okay, Hagrid. He’s changed his ways.”


She glanced over her shoulder towards Draco who had approached her.



Hagrid looked between each of them and they all confirmed what Hermione had said. “I s’pose everyone deserves a second chance. Dumbledore seems ta think so, anyways. Well, welcome back to Hogwarts, Malfoy.” He extended his oversized hand out for him to shake. “If Hermione of all people can call you her friend, I can most certainly give you the benefit of the doubt.”


Draco took it and gave a tentative smile. “Thank you, er, uh… Professor.” He took the giant’s hand and shook it. “I do have a question, though.” He leaned in close to the giant but did not see the others do the same so they could listen in.


“Do the house elves work during the summer or will we be doing our own cooking and cleaning? ” OW! Hermione, what the hell was that for?”


Ron and Harry were trying hard not to laugh, as they knew to fear the wrath of Hermione when it comes to the defence of the house elves.





After a fulfilling dinner of roasted turkey with all the fixings, various desserts and many glasses of pumpkin juice, the four of them made their way to the Gryffindor common room. Draco stopped shy of the door.


“I’ll see you guys later.”


Hermione crossed her arms in front of her. “Oh please, Malfoy, just come in with us! It’s not like Filch is going to give you detention or anything. We’re the only people in the castle. Dumbledore said you could stay with us if you wanted to, remember?”


He gave her a look of appreciation but shook his head, looking past her down the hallway.


“I actually think it might be good for me to spend some time in my own common room. I can work out some of these inner demons.” Draco sounded as if he were trying to convince himself he would be okay. “It’s only me there, anyways. The castle is protected and I know about the passage ways around it. I’ll be fine.”


Harry shook his hand. “Well then, I suppose this is goodnight. We’ll see you for breakfast, right?”


The Slytherin gave a half smile. “As Weasley would say, I am always up for food. I’ll see you lot in the morning.” With that he walked down the corridor towards his common room.


The trio walked through the Fat Lady’s portrait (the password was Merlin’s Beard) and as the boys headed for the fireplace to warm up, Hermione went upstairs to organize her things.


Ron and Harry were gazing into the flames, both boys seeming to have something on their minds. Ron spoke up.


“Harry, I need to talk to you about something.”


Looking confused, Harry nodded and said, “Go on, what is it?”


Running his hands through his hair and glancing in the direction of the stairway to the dorms, Ron began to unload his thoughts upon his best friend. He went on for what seemed to him to be a lifetime, but was in reality only a few minutes.


Harry was smiling by the time he was finished. “So you’ve felt this way for how long now?”


Glancing in the direction of the staircase, Ron mumbled, “Since fourth year.”


Harry adjusted himself so he was facing Ron. He wanted to make sure he had his attention because he could tell that Ron was a nervous wreck deep inside.


“Ron, I really think you need to do something about this but I can’t tell you what or how. If you don’t, it will eat you up inside. That, and you will probably drive me crazy in the process.”


At that moment, Hermione made her way back down the stairs and as she did, Harry smirked at his distressed friend. They watched as she crossed the room now wearing a pair of track pants and a long sleeve T-shirt.


Hermione curled up on the couch intending to start on some books she had purchased earlier in the summer. Ron saw her open her bag and reach for the first book and dove to grab the book from her reach.


“There is absolutely NO way you are going to waste away our first night here at school on homework!”


He stood there for a minute, thinking about how crazy that statement sounded. Harry tried to contain a wide smile by coughing.


She slowly got up from the couch and took a step back. “But, I’m not doing homework, Ron. I’m only reading a new…”


Ron interrupted her explanation, “Seriously, though. There are so many more things we could be doing to have fun here, Hermione!”


Harry and Hermione both answered him at the same time.


“Like what- and at this hour, no less?”


“Let’s go for a walk,” Ron suggested with a shrug. “We could all do with some fresh air. We can go to the lake and watch for Merpeople or something. I need to get outside! We’ve been cooped up indoors since this whole thing started, and right now we have Hogwarts to ourselves.”


Harry saw his opportunity and yawned. “You two go. Have some fun and just don’t get caught by Filch. You can even take my invisibility cloak.”


He walked upstairs to retrieve it knowing full well that there was no one there to “catch” them.


Ron gave Hermione the most pathetic looking pout that he could muster. She looked over at him.


Merlin, he’s adorable, she thought.


“C’mon Hermione. We haven’t gotten to spend hardly any time together since I arrived. Just one night and then I promise you can read all the books you want until the others get here.”


He was now on his knees in front of her, begging with his hands clasped in front of him. She couldn’t take it anymore and let out a groan.


“Fine, Ronald. Just let me take my books to my room and find a warm jumper to wear.”


Harry ran into Hermione minutes later as they were both returning to the common room. He gently grabbed her arm and pulled her aside.


“Hey, be careful out there, okay?”


She looked at him with a look of disbelief. “Uh, sure, Harry. I’ll make sure Ron doesn’t hex some poor squirrel or rabbit.”


He let go of her arm quickly. “You’re right. I’m being silly. Have fun with Ron and be sure to keep him in line.” He gave her a brief hug.


They entered the common room and Ron jumped, not expecting them back so quickly. “You change your mind, Harry?”


“No. You two have fun and be safe. I’ll see you guys later.”
Chapter 13 - Twitterpated by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
Thank you for your patience... People who read this chapter will either like it or hate it and that makes me a bit nervous about any upcoming reviews. :-) That being said, please be gentle. Also a big thank you to Rita Writer for being the bestest long term beta in the free world.
Chapter 13

Hidden under the invisibility cloak, the two friends walked through the portrait hole. Ron seemed to be in no hurry, and Hermione even noticed his hands grazing hers every once in a while. She shrugged it off and took his hand in hers. Besides, it was easier to stay in step with him if they were side by side. Ron’s height, however, made it difficult to hide under the cloak, so he had to hunch down a bit. She sensed he was uncomfortable and mentally vowed to give him a backrub without question if he asked for one later.

The pair walked outside for awhile and eventually made it to the lake. Finding a large rock, they sat down. Hermione closed her eyes and took a deep breath, relishing the fresh air.

“Mmm, this was such a brilliant idea, Ron. Thank you for getting me out of the castle, even if it’s only for a bit. It’s simply beautiful out here.”

Beautiful… yes, you are. Ron thought, barely listening to his best friend. He was staring at her.

Ever since he began spending time with her at her house and at Headquarters, he began noticing little things that he had either not seen before or was too daft to notice.

Things like how her eyes glistened in the moonlight. The way her entire face would light up when she was truly happy and laughing. He noticed that although she was best friends with both he and Harry, her relationship with Harry was almost a more maternal one. She worried about him getting hurt, and she made sure he thought through decisions carefully. With him (Ron) she was more likely to move a stray hair out of his face or sit on the couch talking for hours about absolutely nothing.

He had learned more about Hermione in the last few weeks than he had ever taken the time to do with anyone else. He was beginning to like ” no love what he found. He found himself looking at her in an entirely different light and that scared him. What should he do about these newly realized feelings?

Hermione noticed that Ron had a far away look in his eyes and decided to call him on it.

“Hello, Ron? Are you in there?”

She laughed, watching Ron shake his head as if trying to clear it.

“Huh? Oh, sorry. I guess I was daydreaming or something. The silence got the best of me I suppose.”

Hermione looked over at the red-headed boy next to her and couldn’t help but think to herself, What if?

He was starting to grow on her, not so much like a fungus as much as a habit she didn’t want to break. He had finally begun to fit into his tall frame. It looked like he had started to take care of himself after school let out.

Quidditch with his brothers, maybe? Running or exercise?

She had never noticed how muscular his arms were and suddenly found herself staring at them. Every time he would grab a small stone or pebble to throw into the lake, his muscles in his arm would flex.

Very nice, she thought to herself.

She had really begun taking notice of Ron during their fourth year. She was truly jealous of his date for the Yule Ball and was very hurt that he hadn’t thought to ask her out, even as a friend before Viktor had. She knew they bickered all the time, and he knew exactly how to make her blood boil, but she also knew there was something else that was deeper. They would defend and protect each other to the end. She knew Harry would too, but it was different with him. Harry was more like a brother to her. The boys were both protective of her, but Ron was more of a safe shelter that she found herself seeking.

She was relieved that Harry had not joined them for their walk. They needed some time away, and she and Ron needed time alone. She watched him as he continued to stare across the lake.

Ron seemed to notice that he was being watched because he turned slowly and looked into her eyes. Hermione looked up towards him and gave a slight smile. He returned it and swallowed loudly.

“Hermione, I…I…”

“What is it, Ron? Is something wrong?” Hermione began looking around.

“No! I mean… no, nothing is wrong.”

He added in more of a mumble, “For once everything seems right.”

“Were you going to ask me something, Ron?” Hermione asked, ignorant of his muttered comment.

Rod inwardly grinned. Yes, he was actually going to ask permission to kiss her. Instead he decided to just go with his heart and simply do it.

“Close your eyes, Hermione.”

She looked at him with the slightest hint of doubt which caused him to roll his eyes at her in response.

“Please, just this once, trust me.”

She smiled, “I have always trusted you Ron… Fine, I’m closing my eyes.”

He looked at her and without thinking, leaned in for a gentle sweet kiss that had more meaning behind it than anything he had ever experienced. He had never felt more exposed in his life but had also never felt happier. He gently cupped her face with his right hand and placed his left hand on the small of her back. She inhaled as they made contact and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Ron was first to break the connection between them, afraid to overstep his bounds. He began stuttering, “I… I… I’m sorry about that. I shouldn’t have… Please don’t hate me.”

He tried to back away from her and she suddenly went from absolute bliss to looking hurt. In a quiet voice, she found herself getting defensive. “Did it seem like I was complaining, Ron? And don’t apologize unless you really regretted it.”

Ron quickly composed himself. “What? No, of course I didn’t regret kissing you - that’s insane. I’ve wanted to do that with you since fourth year! I just didn’t know how you felt about me and now here I am snogging you a few days after Death Eaters tried to kill you.”

“The attack is a distant memory, Ron. Everything turned out fine. I wouldn’t trade this moment for anything.”

Hermione took a leap of faith and continued, “Besides, I have been hoping you would do that to me since fourth year as well.”

It was Ron’s turn to be impressed. He had no idea that Hermione’s feelings for him were that strong.

“Well, why didn’t you say something? We’ve wasted so much time avoiding the matter, don’t you think? Look at the ground we could have covered by now!”

Hermione playfully swatted his arm. “Ronald, don’t be ridiculous! Everything happened on its own time. I believe everything happens for a reason and this was when we had the time to get together and, well, you know…”

Ron got a very serious look on his face. It made Hermione a little nervous at first, but she tried laughing it off. “What? Why are you looking at me that way, so serious-like?”

He took a shaky breath in. “You’re amazing, Hermione.” He took her hands in his and pulled her closer to him so he was able to whisper.

“I was so scared that you would turn me down. I “ I feel wonderful!”

He was stopped by her lips pressing on his again. She didn’t know where the courage to do these things was coming from, but it felt right, and that was good enough for her.

He used his right index finger to tilt her chin up so she was looking into his eyes. “You’re sure about this, Hermione? I mean, I’ve pictured you as my girlfriend for a long time in my head but this is real, you know? You say yes and you’re stuck with me.”

He gave her a shaky laugh. Even with his nerves as jittery as they were, he kept his sense of humor in check. She gave him a simple smile, tears now running silently and freely down her cheek.

He laughed again and then rolled his eyes. She scowled. “I can’t help it, Ron. These are happy tears, you know!” Giving her a hug, he pulled away and looked at her solemnly.

“You know what we have to do now, right?”

She nodded, “Yes, you need to kiss me again.”

He paused before answering, pondering which direction to go. “Well, aside from that… we have to break the news to Harry.”

Hermione cringed. “And Malfoy, ugh.”

Ron looked confused. “What’s wrong with telling Malfoy? He hasn’t tried anything with you, has he? If he did, I have no problem kicking him in the””

She placed a comforting hand on his arm to divert his thoughts. “No, Ron, but can you imagine how much grief they are going to give us when they find out? Malfoy is so cocky sometimes; I can only imagine what he’ll say.”

Ron’s face fell. “Oh no, I have one even better. My mum and dad! They’ll be making wedding plans before we start our first day of classes. That’s all my mom asked me about all summer; ‘Oh, how is Hermione, dear? You should try to contact her, maybe meet her in Diagon Alley over the summer. You know, just to spend some time with her.’” Ron raised the pitch of his voice to almost perfectly match his mother’s and said, “All summer, that’s what she was doing to me, every day!”

Hermione started laughing, loudly at that. “I can picture her saying it, too. Well, at least she already likes me and I don’t have to pretend to be something I’m not just to impress her and your family.”

Shaking his head he whispered, “No, my family already loves you. You should know that by now.”

With that final thought, he pulled her to him once more and kissed her soundly.
Chapter 14 - Busted! by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
*Is trying to update quicker*
Muchas Gracias to my tried and true beta, Rita Writer. (and happy belated 16th my dear!) This isn't the longest or most thought provoking chapter but it was fun regardless. I may edit the latter conversation between Draco/Hr/Ron but I just don't have the means to reword it at the moment. I apologize if the scene is awkward because of it.
Chapter 14

Malfoy was sitting in the Slytherin common room, wallowing in the peace and quiet of the late summer evening. The tranquillity of his surroundings made him think a lot. He had a lot on his mind since arriving in the company of the Golden Trio. So much had changed in such a short time frame.

Draco decided to take a walk to clear his head and try to sort through some issues. First and foremost on his mind were Lucius and the Dark Lord.

Over time, he began holding a conversation with himself out loud but did not seem to care. He needed to sort his thoughts.

“I am in this thing deeper than I thought possible, and now I have put my three new friends in more danger than they were before. Is that even possible? It’s like I approached my father and said, ‘Hey, by the way, I’ve been hanging out with a Muggle-born and the so-called Boy-Who-Lived! I just thought I would give you another reason to want them dead. Have a great day!’”

He leaned against the nearest wall and sighed, raising his hands up in defeat. “That’s just perfect, Draco… Gain their trust and serve them sunny side up to Lord Voldemort.”

He closed his mouth quickly. He was shocked how easily the name rolled off his tongue. He used to not feel worthy to speak it but this time he spat it out as if it were a poison.

While continuing to walk briskly down random corridors, Draco turned a corner and ran head-long into Harry. His busy friend was apparently not watching where he was going either because when the two of them collided, they each fell down in opposite directions. They saw one another and rolled their eyes in unison.

Harry looked over at Draco. “Deep in thought, I see?”

Raising his eyebrows up in mock shock, he replied, “Speak for yourself. I think I’m going to rechristen you ‘The-Boy-Who-Walks-With-His-Eyes-Closed.’”

Harry added, “-And-lived.”

He looked around and continued. “So do you make a habit out of roaming empty corridors at night or are we just starting a trend?”

Ignoring his comment, Draco spoke, “I needed some air- and I suppose the dungeon is not exactly accommodating in that respect. ‘Cold and desolate’ isn’t the same as a fresh breeze coming off of the lake.”

Remembering his friends who were spending quality time in that very spot, he attempted to reroute Malfoy. Waving his hand in the direction of the staircase near them, Harry responded, “Might I suggest a relaxing walk to the Astronomy Tower?”

Malfoy looked around as if he thought he was being followed, “Why? What or WHO are you hiding?” Draco raised his eyebrows. “Where is Ron, anyway? And… oh… tell me he didn’t.” Draco shook his head in his hands as if he already knew the answer to his very vague question.

Harry was confused. “Um, if you would be a bit more specific, I may be able to help.”

“He took Hermione to the lake, didn’t he?”

Harry took a step back, “You’re quite the observant one, aren’t you?”

“Get it right, Potter. The Slytherin are cunning. Everything we do and say has a purpose.”

Harry put up his hands in defeat. “So what has got your mind so clouded that you were forced into running into defenceless- cursed wizards?”

Malfoy shook his head in disagreement. “Oh, please. You are many things, but defenceless you are not. And not that it’s any of your business, but I was just realizing how much danger you all are since my position was made known to Lucius. I was walking around looking for answers, if you must know.”

“Join the club, Malfoy.” Harry gave him a stern look and Draco realized what he had just said and who it was directed at.

“Sorry, Harry. I keep forgetting you’ve had it a bit rough the past several years. You may be useful here. Go on, then.”

Harry looked at Draco for a second, and then seemed to brush the last comment off seeing as ‘a bit rough’ sounded like a day in the park compared to what he had been through. “One secret I find that works well is trying to keep as busy as I can. I’ve got the DA, Quidditch, and lessons with Snape outside of class.”

Malfoy raised a finger in the air as if he was beginning to understand what was being said. “Ah, Remedial Potions, right?”

Harry looked around and then back at Draco. “Not exactly. He’s been teaching me Occlumency.”

Draco nodded, not looking surprised at what had been revealed to him. “I wondered if you would ever go into that. My father made sure to teach me at a young age.”

Harry’s eyes lit up and Draco nodded his head, “I know what you are thinking by the look you are giving me, Potter. Yes, I’ll help you.”

Breathing a sigh of relief after hearing the answer to the question he hadn’t had the nerve to ask, he breathed out, “You’re a lifesaver.”

Malfoy shuddered and said, “Ugh, please don’t use that word. I am under enough pressure as it is.” He stopped at the window next to him and looked down.

“Well, well, well “ what, or should I say who do we have here?” Draco raised his eyebrows in curiosity and gave a slight cringe. “You might want to cover your virgin eyes there, Potter.”

Harry looked out the window towards the lake. He smiled. “It’s about time.” He followed the figures as they walked below. “Hey, they’re walking back to the castle. I’m going to head back to bed before they get to the common room.”

Draco nodded, “Fine, but tomorrow morning we take the Mickey out of them, agreed?”

Harry laughed, “Oh, most definitely. G’night.”

Malfoy turned towards the opposite direction. “See you in the morning.”




The morning after their arrival found a lighter atmosphere at Hogwarts. At least that was the case for its four student occupants.

Draco found himself wide awake as the sun peeked over the horizon. He enjoyed a hot shower, revelling in the fact that none of his fellow Slytherins were there to rush him. Once clean, he grabbed a pair of loose fitting blue jeans and a long sleeved black shirt, thankful that he allowed Hermione take him shopping while he stayed with her. These were so much more comfortable than what he usually wore! As soon as he was dressed, he crept to the Gryffindor common room using the password given to him by the headmaster. He walked in and made himself comfortable on a corner chair and waited for the others to wake up. He wouldn’t miss this for the world!

As if on cue, Harry tiptoed downstairs to the common room. He was almost to the couch when he heard someone clear their throat. He smiled and without even looking, said, “You just couldn’t resist, could you Malfoy?”

Grinning, he replied back. “I refuse to let either of them live that down. Care to join me in a game of wizard chess while we wait?”

They gathered the pieces on the board and took their turns. Approximately thirty minutes into their game, they heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Both boys looked towards the sound and found Ron yawning and rubbing his eyes.

Harry spoke up first. “Long night?”

Ron nodded. “I couldn’t sleep. Too much on my mind.”

Seeing this as the perfect opportunity to catch Ron off guard, Malfoy said, “So, can I be in your wedding?”

It worked.

The red-haired wizard jumped and spun in the direction of the voice. “Malfoy, what are you on about?”

Adjusting himself in the armchair he was in, Draco continued. “Well, honestly, Weasley, after a snog session like that I thought for sure that Ginny was gaining a sister-in-law!”

Harry couldn’t resist and piped in. “So, did you ever come up for air or did you just wait until the first person passed out and then stop?”

Ron’s face fell. “How did you know I kissed her? Did you follow me?”

“You know, Weasley, there are many windows in this castle that overlook the lake. You’d be surprised at the view from some of them”, said Draco.

Ron turned a few more shades of crimson. “You spied on me?”

Harry held his hands up. “No Ron, we didn’t spy on you. Malfoy and I ran into each other in the halls and we just so happened to look out the window in time to see you guys.”

Draco stood and added, “Yeah, thanks for ruining my night. I’m still queasy. My nightmares were filled with little bushy haired red-headed kids running around me.”

More footsteps were heard, announcing Hermione’s arrival. She stopped at the foot of the stairs and tried to turn around to head back to the girl’s dorms when she saw Ron standing between Draco and Harry looking very flushed and flustered. As she crept back upstairs, she heard a voice.

“Hold it right there, Granger. Where do you think you’re going?”

She turned around slowly. “I, uh, forgot to brush my teeth! Wait - did you just call me ‘Granger’, Harry?”

Draco beckoned her to the common room by crooking his finger, motioning for her to keep heading in their direction. “You can brush your teeth in a bit, witch. I doubt Ron would hesitate to kiss you even if your mouth was covered in spiders at this point in time.”

Harry interjected holding his finger up, “No, not spiders. Try something else. Troll bogeys perhaps?”

Ron wasn’t sure if he should be grateful for what his friend had said or if he should hex him for embarrassing him in front of his girlfriend.

Wow, he thought to himself. I really have a girlfriend!

Draco stood there with his arms crossed in front of him. “Yes, and her name is Hermione.”

Harry started to laugh. He had just watched Draco penetrate Ron’s thoughts and knew that no one else knew of the ability that he had.

Ron concentrated on the wizard in front of him, never taking his eyes off of him as he did so. Draco nodded. “Yes, I did, Weasley. Mind your thoughts.”

Hermione’s jaw dropped. “Oh, please show me how to do that!”

“I wish it was that easy, sometimes. Now, if we are done here, I for one am starving. Anyone care to join me in the Great Hall?”

Harry walked towards the portrait hall with the Slytherin. They looked back as they held the door open and saw Hermione and Ron looking back and forth between the hall and each other.

Draco rolled his eyes. “Look, just remember that we might want to use that couch later on, so please be mindful of how you spend your time in here.”

Ron glared over at them and clenched his fists, “Haha, laugh it up. You’re just jealous.”

Harry shrugged. “Jealous? Why should I be jealous? She’s your problem now, Ron. Good luck, mate. Just remember that the food won’t be waiting forever for you two so if you are going to snog, make it quick. We have plenty of time to spend on our own before the others arrive.”

The portrait closed and after a few minutes of silent kisses shared between the two, Hermione led her boyfriend to the Great Hall for breakfast. Besides, his stomach had been growling since the night before!
Chapter 15 - Just Act Normal . . . by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
This is a lighter chapter than others. The gang gets their supply letters for Diagon Alley and have an eventful beginning to their day. The trip is split into two chapters. Also, now that my saved (already typed and ready to be beta'd) chapters have been moved to this computer, I can update more frequently! Thanks for your patience during my eight month hiatus from posting updates. My inbox is empthy in case the howlers start coming . . .
Chapter 15

A few days later, Harry and Draco were sitting in the Great Hall playing another game of wizards chess after breakfast when they heard the fluttering sound of wings overhead. Both boys looked up to see Hedwig and a pure black owl flying towards them. When the birds landed, Harry noticed that they had letters attached to their legs. Draco reached over to his owl, Shadow, and untied the letter.

Speaking to no one in particular, he said, “It’s our Hogwarts letters. Do they think we are that desperate for mail? We’re already here!”

Harry sighed. “I guess this means we’ll be taking a trip to Diagon Alley.”

At that moment, Ron and Hermione walked in and sat down near their friends. Ron, who had overheard the last comments, said “At least we get to escape the castle for a day!”

The quartet turned when they heard the doors to the Great Hall open, revealing their Transfiguration professor. “Not so fast, I’m afraid." Looking at each of the students in front of her she added, "I was hoping to catch you before your letters arrived but I can see I am too late.”

Draco stood up and glared at the Deputy Headmistress. “Please tell me you are joking. You can’t seriously think we are going to stay here the rest of the summer. We deserve this break and it’s only for school supplies!”

Professor McGonagall pressed her lips tightly together. “You are going to make this difficult for me, aren’t you Mr. Malfoy?” She said it more as a statement than a question.

Ron looked up towards his Head of House. “Would it work, professor? Because if it would, I’ll start right in with Malfoy!”

She regarded the two of them hesitantly. “I am beginning to fear the repercussions of the two of you being on the same side these days. I have a feeling I may be seeing more of you boys than I would care to in detention this year.”

At that moment the two boys looked at each other and exchanged identical smirks. Hermione hid her face in her hands, groaning.

McGonagall nodded. “I rest my case. My only concern is for both Mr. Malfoy and Miss Granger’s safety after this summer’s attacks. Diagon Alley can be a dangerous place, and many questionable people may be out there looking for you because they know you will be due for school supplies.”

Hermione cleared her throat and made eye contact with the Deputy Headmistress.

“Miss Granger, school is not in session. You may speak at will.”

Hermione shifted uncomfortably. “Yes, professor,” she blushed and continued. “Well, I was thinking we could each take an Auror with us. Maybe we could each pair up and invite Lupin and Tonks?” She stood closer to Ron with that thought.

Professor McGonagall seemed to ponder the idea for a minute. “I’ll return shortly with my decision.”

Draco looked over at Harry, who had been unusually quiet. “Okay, Potter. I hope Tonks and Lupin like us after the fiasco at Hermione’s house . . . I need this trip out of the castle!”

An hour later they were in their respective dorm rooms getting changed for their trip to Diagon Alley.


Hermione, Harry and Tonks walked in one group followed by Draco, Ron and Lupin in another.

Tonks spoke up once they made it to the corner. “All right, so I think if we meet back here for lunch in two hours, it should be enough time for everyone to get their supplies.”

Ron spoke up. “Perhaps it would be acceptable for us to meet at Fred and George’s shop before heading to lunch?” He shuffled his feet but kept eye contact with the Aurors, determined to see this through.

Lupin and Tonks looked at each other hesitantly.

“The joke shop, Ron?” Remus seemed to be choosing his words carefully, knowing he was being entrusted to keep the group safe. “That goes against what we promised Professor McGonagall . . .” He couldn’t finish what he was about to say. As students, he, James, Sirius and Peter would have asked the same thing. “Well, I suppose a few minutes wouldn’t hurt.”

Hermione’s jaw fell to the floor in shock. Tonks had a similar reaction but smirked in pride. Harry clapped Ron on the back and Draco stood there, stroking his chin with a very impressed look on his face. With everything agreed upon, they split up.

As they walked their separate ways, Ron was venting to anyone who would listen.

“I still don’t understand why Hermione and I have to be separated. It’s not like we’re going to be snogging every chance we got! I just wanted to be with her out in public for the first time, that’s all.”

His former professor turned to look at him and tried to show he understood by patting his shoulder. “Ron, that would mean Draco and Harry would have to be paired up instead. Do you know how dangerous it would be to have the two most sought after teenage wizards walking together through Diagon Alley? It’s bad enough that I have a member of two wizarding families who until not too long ago hated each other!”

Draco was laughing quietly at that. “Yeah, the reactions we have been getting from the few students we have come across have been priceless. Where is everyone? I can’t wait to see the look on some of their . . .”

Noticing an abrupt silence, Ron and Lupin turned around and did not see Draco anywhere. Then, Ron heard a voice that almost made him turn several shades of white before realizing what was going on. It was Draco.

“Ron, just act normal and pretend I am not here.”

Gaping at what appeared to be no one, he answered loudly and somewhat irritated, “Well that shouldn’t be too difficult as you are suddenly nowhere to be seen.”

Lupin whispered in the general direction of the voice, “It’s kind of difficult when there is a shapeless voice telling us what we can and can’t do. Care to fill us in on what is going on?”

The voice of Draco spoke, “There are some people that I am not yet ready to face. I just saw Pansy standing on the corner where we meet every year. She’s looking for me.”

Ron gawked in the general direction of the voice. “And your point is . . ? Come on, Malfoy; your own dad - who is a Death Eater I might add - has seen you with us. It’s not like Pansy is going to give him some new bit of information regarding your whereabouts.”

Ron took a step back when Draco slipped off his invisibility cloak.

“Shut up, Ron.” He breathed in slowly, “Though I suppose I will have to face up to my so-called friends now that Father knows where my allegiance lies.”

He looked at the passing students walking around him. “Now I get to find out who my true friends are.”

Lupin watched everything unfold with mild amusement. “Now, if the two of you are finished with your little moment of truth, can we get some shopping done? I am eager to get it over with so we can go to your brother’s joke shop, Ron.”

With that being said, the three of them walked towards the nearest book store, the latest incident now behind them and almost forgotten.


Pansy Parkinson watched as Draco walked with the werewolf and the blood traitor.

“What do we have here?” she said just loud enough for her own ears to hear.

She turned to look around and when she looked back, he was gone.

Maybe I imagined it. It was an unbelievable sight! she thought.

Pansy walked towards the next shop shaking her head. Out of a nervous habit she glanced behind her as she turned into Flourish and Blotts. She had been raised to watch her back in a family full of Death Eaters.

As she checked her surroundings, Draco reappeared in the same spot he had been in moments earlier. She took a quick breath in. Alarmed, Pansy backed into a bush next to her and observed her friend.

Oh, Merlin. Tell me this is just a bad dream.

Her stomach became queasy as the scene in front of her unfolded. Draco… he was smiling at that red-haired weasel! They were laughing now, too ” but why? How?

He’s spying for the Dark Lord and his father. There could be no other logical way to explain this ghastly behaviour.

The three eventually left her line of sight, and she found herself staring at nothing and no one in particular. Pansy, disgusted at what she saw her best friend do, needed answers and quickly. Making an effort to collect what was remaining on her shopping list, she was determined to corner Draco before the day’s end.

With that in mind, she turned back towards the book store and shoved a lost looking first year out of her way as she entered.




Hermione and Tonks dragged Harry to each store that was on the supply lists in record time. Within the hour, their books and anything else needed for their classes was purchased and shrunk down for ease of storage.

In the end, Harry was quite impressed with the timing they made. “Well, now where are we going?” He cringed trying to imagine where the two females would drag him to next.

Hermione put her arm around her best friend and smiled. “The next hour is all yours, Harry. That is because you have been such a good sport so far, letting us take you from one place to another.”

A bit of color entered Harry’s cheeks and, to no one’s surprise, they headed for Quality Quidditch Supplies as it was the only shop he cared to visit. After that they made a joint decision to visit Fred and George’s joke shop.

Hermione was the first one in the door, and she found herself running right into Draco. “Oof! Sorry, Malfoy. I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

“As much as I would love to stay and chat with you, Granger, I think there is someone here who is dying to see his girlfriend.”

With that he walked her around the corner to where the Pygmy Puffs were. He had Hermione discreetly cover Ron’s eyes as they approached from behind. Draco then cleared his throat.

“Guess who.”

“Malfoy, get your sweaty . . . lavender? Since when do you wear lavender? Have you been into Hermione’s soap again?”

She couldn’t resist. “Again? Since when have you used my soap, Draco?” Ron laughed at them, pleased at the look of surprise on Hermione’s face once she realized he was joking.

Tonks and Lupin joined them with Harry in tow. He had been in the back room discussing how the shop was doing since, thanks to his Tri-Wizard winnings, he was the financial backer for it. “Fish and chips, anyone?”

Tonks lead the way to the door. Stomachs were heard growling in agreement. They quickly paid for whatever they were purchasing and hurried out the door towards the Leaky Cauldron.
Chapter 16 - Confessions and Legillimens by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
Holy bananas. I apologize for this dry spell I have been experiencing as far as writing ANYTHING. I hope to remedy this. This chapter has our gang of misfits revealing secrets and tampering with Harry's mind. It's been rewritten sveral times. Hopefully the final draft will suffice.
Chapter 16


‘Priceless’ was a perfect way to describe the looks that Harry, Draco, Ron and Hermione got while eating their lunch at the Three Broomsticks.


Since many of their friends had gotten their letters at the same time that they had, many familiar faces walked by. Ginny had been ‘released’ from the Burrow to join her brother and friends for lunch after shopping with her mother. She approached the table and gave each of them a hug as a greeting, including a very shocked Malfoy.


Scowling, Harry elbowed Draco and whispered, “You’d better watch out for that one.”


As he speared a lettuce leaf with his fork, Draco nodded and mumbled, “I know you fancy her, Potter.” Then in a bored voice he added, “Besides, she’s really not my type.”


Ron looked in the direction of the conversation which his best friend was a part of, eyes as large as saucers. He was sitting next to Harry with Hermione on his other side, half listening to what his best friend was telling the Slytherin.


“My sister?” His jaw fell in shock. “Please tell me I heard wrong.”


Hermione looked at Ron, patted his leg under the table and explained quietly enough so only they would hear, “Harry fancies Ginny, Ronald. She could have done a lot worse, don’t you think?”


Upon hearing this, Ron almost choked on his drink.


Looking around to assure herself there were no wandering ears, Hermione added, “At least, if they do get together, you’ll always know where she is.”


Ron continued to gape at his girlfriend with a look of utter astonishment. “How long have you known?”


Harry looked from Draco to Hermione and added in a fierce whisper, “Yeah, who told either of you I fancied her?”


She bit her lower lip, “Well, Harry, you have never told me outright but it’s been fairly obvious.”


Draco put his fork down and faced Ron. “Honestly, Weasley. I am in a completely different House at school and even I knew Harry liked Ginny! And that was before all of this,” he said, motioning to the group of them, “came about. Potter has always… ugh . . .” Draco made a few random gestures as if trying to explain something and not getting his point across, “what do they call that, Granger?”


Hermione quickly finished his thought. “Harry wears his heart on his sleeve. That’s why he had ‘Remedial Potions’ last year with Professor Snape.”


Harry looked up while Hermione continued to talk to Ron and noticed Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood walking towards their table. He waved them over, thankful for the distraction. Harry laughed silently when he saw the look of apprehension on Neville’s face upon seeing Draco Malfoy sitting with them.


“It’s all right, Neville,” Harry laughed politely as to not offend his friend. “Malfoy won’t bite; He’s with us.” Upon hearing his name, Draco looked up towards the commotion.


“I could always make an exception, Longbottom,” added Draco with a mischievous grin and a twinkle in his eyes.


Harry proceeded to hit Draco on the back of his head to prove his original point. Neville flinched, ready for a fight to ensue but opened his eyes wide when he heard Harry speak.


“Quit acting smart, Malfoy.” He looked over to Neville and said, “See? If he was the old Malfoy, he would have promptly hexed me right there, don’t you think?”


Luna’s eyes got wide and she quickly squealed, “Ooh! Can I be next? I’ve always wanted to take a whack at him!”


Neville smiled and started towards the door, taking Luna’s hand. “We just wanted to stop by and ask how your summer was but we really need to get going.” Glancing briefly at the table, he muttered, “Um, we’ll see you at school.” Luna was practically dragged out the door by her boyfriend.


Harry and Ron waved as they left. Ron grinned, leaning over to Draco, “Oh, this could be fun.”


They sat at their table for a while longer before paying for their meals, and were back within the safe walls of Hogwarts within the hour.






The Gryffindor common room was quiet with the four students reading their new textbooks. They had a handful of classes together. Harry and Ron had identical class lists and they shared Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Charms and Herbology with Hermione and Draco. Draco and Hermione also shared Ancient Runes and Muggle Studies.


Draco looked over to Hermione with a gleam of fascination in his eyes. Ron noticed this and was quick to make a comment.


“Hey ferret, care to share the reasons behind you staring at my girlfriend or do we have to take this outside?”


Malfoy weighed his options but decided to just tell the truth.


“I was just realizing that she would make an excellent study partner for Muggle Studies, that’s all.”


She nodded in agreement which shocked the Slytherin as well as her boyfriend. She spoke up quickly. “I have a proposition for you, though.”


Draco groaned, lifting a finger up as if he was about to object but he seemed to change his mind and motioned her to continue.


“I happen to know that you are not far behind me as far as grades go.”


Malfoy threw his head back, hitting the edge of the sofa in frustration. “Why, thanks for the reminder, Hermione!” he said sarcastically. “It’s not as if I wasn’t getting enough letters from my father about that fact.” Sensing something he didn’t think he would agree to he waved his hand at her. “Go on. What do you want?”


Hermione sat upright and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “I want you to help me tutor the younger students this year. I think you would be an asset. It would also be a way for them to see where you stand as far as not being such a pain in the…”


He interrupted her. “I think I get it, Granger! No need to get graphic. So what’s in it for me?”


Hermione looked at him thoughtfully. “If you lighten my tutoring load, you can pick my brain anytime you want to for Muggle Studies.”


He seemed to be putting a great deal of thought into his decision, never taking his eyes off of hers. He was never one to compromise, especially when it came to giving up his free time. After what seemed to be an eternity, he snapped out of his reverie and stood up.


“Deal.”


Harry and Ron looked up. They both looked at Draco and replied, “Seriously?”


Malfoy nodded and, after noticing the time said to Harry, “Come on, Potter. You’re my first victim. Start clearing your mind on the way to the dungeons.”


Ron looked a bit confused and realized what they were about to work on.


“Wait, Malfoy is teaching you Occlumency?” He followed them towards the Fat Lady’s portrait, still trying to grasp what they were about to do. “Are you insane?”


Draco laughed, having heard him and responded, “We established that years ago, Weasley. He survived Professor Snape. Surely I’m not that bad, am I? Tonight should be like a walk in the park.”


With that they walked out of the common room towards the Slytherin dungeons.





One of the first things Harry noticed about the room he and Draco had entered for his Occlumency lesson was how much warmer it was compared to the rest of the dungeons. The light from the candles had a softer glow than he was used to seeing in Snape’s classroom. Malfoy seemed to sense his uncertainty and commented on it.


“Professor Snape allowed me to design a room for myself and a few others which made studying and other activities a bit more comfortable.”


At the phrase “other activities”, Harry looked closely at him, trying to get a better idea of the implication but decided to just drop it for the moment.


The candlelight gave way to large plush cushions scattered on the floor “ their colours representing Slytherin; a deep hunter green, silver, black and also gray. Harry looked at Draco with a look of shock. Malfoy ignored it and continued.


“This place gives me a relaxed environment to clear my mind which is not easy to do when all of your classmates are worrying about their OWLS. Not many people know about the room so if you would keep this between us, I would appreciate it.”


Draco walked over to the pillows and arranged the room to better accommodate their needs. Harry nodded and placed his jumper in the corner as he sat across from the Slytherin.


“I don’t blame you for keeping this place quiet.” Harry seemed to debate his next question. “Oh, and I must ask . . . have you ever considered interior decorating?”


Draco glared at Harry and rolled his eyes. Instead of coming back with a sarcastic retort, however, he simply smirked with his wand raised.

“Legillimens!”
End Notes:
Things are about to get really complicated, but not in a confusing way. Lots of twists and turns in the upcoming chapters!
Chapter 17 - Through Draco's Eyes by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
A million thank you's to my newest beta Alyssa, She was a fresh set of eyes and it gave me insight that I would not have neccesarily seen otherwise. I did tweak a bit towards the end (post-beta) so hopefully I didn't botch things too much.-) This chapter has a little Occlumency and a nice moment between Draco and Hermione brought on by some not so nice news.
Ch. 17 “ Through Draco’s Eyes

Harry walked back towards the Gryffindor common room after his first Occlumency practice with Malfoy. He refused to refer to it as a lesson because that would be giving Draco far too much credit and power.

All things considered, the evening in the dungeons was productive. Harry had found that because Malfoy didn’t intimidate him like Professor Snape, he was more relaxed and, in turn, more successful. Harry, therefore, was able to block Draco’s “Legillimens” completely towards the end.

He knew that blocking Malfoy was different from a full grown dark or experienced wizard, but it felt like progress to Harry and that was always a welcomed change of pace.

One result that Harry did not count on was getting a glimpse into the young Slytherin’s mind.

*Begin flashback*

Draco sat in a small but well-lit corner of the library at Malfoy Manor. Lucius Malfoy was, as far as Harry could tell from the memory, entertaining guests. The adults were sitting on large sofas around the fire. Each of the guests were in what looked to be heated conversations. Though the words were not all clear, the younger Malfoy caught bits and pieces, but if he were to show any signs of eavesdropping, there would be serious repercussions.

At that moment, a person who looked to be the only female was standing next to Draco. She spoke:

“Do you see that group of people over there, Draco?”

He nodded, his face expressionless.

“That is a very strong assortment of witches and wizards. You too will join us when you are older “ does that excite you?”

Draco kept eye contact with his aunt as his father had taught him to always do when being spoken to. He did not show any other sign of listening.

His aunt continued with an eerie gleam in her eyes. “Pay close attention, my young nephew, because one day soon you will join our ranks amongst the other loyal followers of the Dark Lord. In due time we will have a world rid of Mudbloods and Half Bloods.”

Harry saw, in the memory, Draco nodding as if what his aunt had told him was more of a mantra with “ were Harry’s eyes playing tricks on him? “ a trace look of fear.


*End of flashback*




While Harry and Draco were somewhere in the castle practicing Occlumency, Hermione and Ron stayed in the Gryffindor common room trying to get a head start on their schoolwork. Actually, it was Hermione trying to work. Ron was just sitting in the oversized chair watching out the window, occasionally watching his girlfriend for minutes at a time. He figured Harry would be along shortly.

It was during this time that a tapping sound was heard at the window. Ron motioned for Hermione to stay seated and opened the window to receive the owl’s package. Hermione squeaked in excitement when she saw her copy of the latest edition of the Daily Prophet and stood to pay the owl for the paper. In a matter of moments, however, her face fell and Ron saw what he knew to be a look of fear. He stood closer to her.

“What is it, Hermione? Did something happen?”

Her face ashen, she handed Ron the newspaper. His face quickly changed to match the expression on her face as he read the headline:

Recently Apprehended Death Eaters Escape Without A Trace. Ministry Officials Baffled But Confident In Quick Recapture. (Names are being withheld at this time)

Hermione looked up at Ron. “What do we tell them, Ronald? How are we supposed to break this to Draco?”

Wrapping his arms in a protective manner around her, he shook his head and answered, “I don’t know, love… I don’t know.”

As if on cue, Harry walked through the portrait hole. He looked at his two best friends and saw right away that they were distressed about something. He was almost afraid to ask but found himself doing it anyway.

“All right you two… who died?” he asked sarcastically but hoping he was wrong.

When they didn’t jump up and yell, “Surprise!” he sat on the table in front of them with a somber look in his eyes. “I can take it. What happened, now?”

They seemed to have come to an unspoken agreement that simply allowing him to read it for himself will answer any and all questions that he may have. They handed him the Daily Prophet and watched as his face went through the same physical changes that theirs had. They did not, however, know he would run out of the common room as quickly as he did but they followed, knowing exactly where he was headed.

Draco needs his friends, thought Hermione as she ran down a corridor.

By the time they found him by the lake, they knew he had already read the article or received the news in a different manner. His hair was disheveled and he was holding a bottle of what looked to be firewhiskey. Ron looked at Harry with a look that asked, “What do we do?” and then glanced at Hermione. He frowned and gave her a pleading stare.

Harry finally spoke up in a little more than a whisper, “Hermione, he probably won’t listen to us. For some reason the two of you have that weird bond. Talk to him? Please?”

Nodding in their general direction, she turned and walked around the tree, taking the long way and found herself behind Malfoy. Knowing they would need time to talk, Ron and Harry made their way back to the castle.

He did not see or hear Hermione approach him from the opposite side of the tree until she was behind him rubbing his shoulder. Draco didn’t even jump at the feel of her touch, knowing exactly who it was.

“You know, Granger, had it been anyone else right now trying to touch me or make me feel better, they probably would have found themselves in the hospital wing, which would be a pity because I don’t think there is anyone up there to nurse them to health.”

He put his hand over hers, stopping the wonderful shoulder rub and let out a long sigh. She sat next to him, although she was unsure what he would be willing to talk about. She would just go with the flow of things.

Draco looked over to his friend, his eyes glistening from tears not yet spent.

“Am I a monster, Hermione? Will I turn into my father over time and be as hateful as he is?”

He picked at the nonexistent lint on his pant leg. After a moment he continued.

“I joined the Order to try and do the right thing and it only seems to have made things worse! I have successfully almost gotten your parents killed twice now. Father is not going to hide forever you know, and he doesn’t forgive or forget…”

On an impulse, Hermione pulled him into an embrace which he surprisingly accepted. It stopped him from continuing and he just held onto her as if she was his lifeline to sanity. She thought she would try talking to him while he was quiet.

“Malfoy, you are by no means a bad person, let alone something as ludicrous as a monster! Sure you had your temporary lapse of common decency, but we can just chalk it up to adolescence, right?” she asked, laughing nervously.

This almost got a smile out of him but he said, “See? That’s what I mean. I wanted you DEAD, Hermione.”

He held her at an arms length away from him with a serious look in his eyes. “Over the last few years when we were in school, it wasn’t just some childhood hormonal thing, I truly wanted you dead. I prayed for the troll to get you . . . the basilisk, the Death Eaters at the Quidditch World Cup -- I am a terrible person for those kinds of feelings! How can you be so nonchalant about all of that?” He dropped his arms to his lap and looked out towards the lake as one or two merpeople cleared the surface.

Hermione sat up. “Look at me, Draco. Look in my eyes.”

He did as he was asked and stared into her deep brown eyes, full of emotion.

“I have never been nonchalant about what happened between us in the past. I am a strong believer in the idea that you have seen the error of your ways and that there was no reason to drag out the past if it couldn’t be fixed.”

He opened his mouth to interrupt but she gave him a look that clearly said there would be no point in doing so.

“Draco, you saved my life at my house this summer, against your own flesh and blood! From that point on, I was convinced and so were Harry and Ron. Now stop doubting yourself. This new bit of news just means that we probably won’t be going to Hogsmead in the near future, but what else is new?”

Shaking his head he replied, “I just don’t want to go back on my word. I told Ron that nothing would happen to you. I can’t allow my father to take you away from me, Hermione!”

Draco looked at her and closed his mouth tightly for a moment and slowly tried speaking again. Hermione looked thoroughly confused.

“I’m sorry. That came out wrong.” he stuttered.

“Malfoy, we’ve discussed this. I’m with Ronald and I am completely happy. I only like you as a - ” she tried to say but was interrupted.

“I know, I know. I didn’t mean for it to come out that way, I swear. What I meant to say is,” Feeling the vulnerability taking over, he stood and faced a tree sitting behind them. Quiet enough for her to barely hear, he said, “You are the best friend I have ever had, Granger.”

He turned to face her. “Hell, come to think of it, you’re probably the only REAL friend I have ever had. You see though, Voldemort feeds off those kinds of weaknesses and doesn’t care who dies in the process.”

She smiled slightly and he continued. “Just please be careful. Keep one of them” he said, motioning towards the castle, “with you at all times, all right?” With that being said, he helped her stand up.

“Now let’s head back in before it gets dark and go pay a visit to Dumbledore after we eat. I’m sure we’ll get summoned by someone at any rate with this news in circulation.”

He smiled at her “ a real smile - and the two walked up the hill side by side. Once in the castle, they found their friends in the Great Hall waiting for dinner.

Business could wait for now.
Chapter 18 - Shady Secrets and Yummy Desserts by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
Alyssa (ron lover) has saved my story with her MAD beta skills so yay for her!

In this chapter we will be spending a bit of time with a different Slytherin - the nasty kind in the form of Pansy Parkinson. A cameo by You Know Who as well as big daddy Lucius and we shall conclude in the Great Hall with the good guys.
Chapter 18 - Shady Secrets and Yummy Desserts


Pansy was sitting at the desk in her dorm room with a roll of parchment in her hand. She had reread the note many times but insisted on forcing herself to read it once again.

Miss Parkinson “

It has come to my attention that you will be returning to Hogwarts this year and that you may also be of some assistance to the Dark Lord. I am unable and unwilling to go into detail at this time, but be alert for more owls from myself and others in the near future. Your discretion in this matter is appreciated and insisted upon.

L.M.


Pansy’s stomach was fluttering in excitement. At last she was being trusted by people in a position of power. Maybe one day she would walk in their ranks. Until then, she would wait for more instructions.



Lucius Malfoy approached the large wooden chair at the far corner of the room he was summoned to. Despite his own powerful position in the Dark Lord’s favor, meetings still made him slightly uneasy. There, sitting in front of him was the most powerful wizard alive. He nodded to himself; once Albus Dumbledore and that Potter brat were out of the picture, it would be a cake walk to convince the rest of wizard kind to join the ranks of Death Eaters as the Dark Lord’s followers.

He didn’t know if it was his imagination or if the room was actually getting cooler as he approached the large wooden chair in front of him. Lucius was close enough now to hear his Master breathing. As he approached, he could hear a low hissing sound. Nagini, he thought. Lucius swallowed hard as he imagined the secrets to be known if that snake could talk. Some things he would rather stay blissfully ignorant about but that was information he would love to know! Such a powerful wizard…

“Some things you should just leave alone, Lucius.”

As the chair slowly rotated and faced him, the elder Malfoy felt his mouth go dry, if only for a second. Suddenly he found himself on his knees bowing to his master.

“The letter has been sent, master. I will follow it up with instructions this weekend once she is back at Hogwarts.”

Without losing eye contact, Voldemort spoke to one of his most loyal servants. “Do not fail me Lucius. I am still highly disappointed that your traitor of a son discovered his new found loyalty. You let him slip through your fingers. Pathetic.” he spat.

Lucius cringed at the harsh words. “Parkinson will not let you down. My sources tell me she has been eager to prove her loyalty.”

“For your sake, pray that you are correct in your assumption. That is all for now.”

Lucius bowed towards the dark figure in front of him but Voldemort spoke once more.

“And Lucius?” The elder Malfoy made eye contact with his Master who almost seemed to be smiling.

“Impressive escape from Azkaban.”

With a very deep bow, Lucius Disapparated, feeling as if his day could not go wrong.




Harry and Ron were waiting impatiently in the Great Hall for Hermione. They had left her and Draco alone outside for privacy, but they were beginning to get anxious.

“Where is she?” whined Ron. “I’m starving!”

Harry agreed with a nod. “I think Dumbledore’s idea of withholding dinner until the others show up is a bit of a stretch, even in the name of inner-house unity.”

Ron added, “Honestly Harry, there are only five of us here and I think that we have proven that we can get along by now!”

Draco walked through the doors entering into the Great Hall in time to hear the last comment. “Can we try getting through at least one day where you don’t complain, Weasley? It makes one appear less confident.”

Hermione looked somewhat hurt by what he had said. “Draco! That wasn’t very nice.”

Shrugging his shoulders casually, he added, “It’s what Father always taught me.”

Hermione faced him. “That’s rich; Why don’t you think about what you just said, Malfoy?”

Draco ignored her he and went on. “Admit it “ he may have been an arse, but my father never lacked confidence.”

Ron approached his girlfriend and looked at Malfoy. “I’d look confident if it was the difference between You-Know-Who letting me see another day and me snuffing it.”

They all sat down at the table and at that moment, the food appeared. Ron dove right in to the steak and kidney pie but stopped when he saw the glare on Hermione’s face. Sighing, he lifted the tablecloth and called out, “Thanks for dinner, guys!”

Hermione looked satisfied and to top it off, a double chocolate fudge cake slice appeared in front of her boyfriend. His eyes about popped out of his head in amazement.

“Bloody brilliant!”

Everyone at the table stared wide-eyed at the individual dessert serving in silence. Harry spoke up first, doing as he had seen his best friend do moment before, “Hey, thanks for dinner guys!”

Draco rolled his eyes and stared at the others as if they were crazy. “No way “ NO way am I doing this. It’s ridiculous!”

Ron’s stomach growled and he glared at Draco.

“If I have to use the Imperious curse to make you do this, I will, Malfoy. Just get it over with,” he groaned in frustration.

Appearing to mull things over in his mind, Draco finally added, “This looks, um, delicious!”

Despite the false enthusiasm in his tone, Harry seemed pleased when two more slices of the same cake appeared in front of them. Seconds later, in front of Hermione, there appeared a single yellow rose in a vase. Ron laughed uneasily.

“Hey now, be careful. That’s my girlfriend there…”

They all shared a laugh and finished their desserts - followed by their main course.



Saturday came too soon. They had spent their final night alone on the Quidditch pitch trying to teach Hermione how to fly. It did not go over well and she ended up retiring to her dorms early in frustration.

The three boys flew to the stands and sat for a while, catching their breath. Harry spoke first. “So tomorrow will you be turning back into an insufferable git, Malfoy? We never did really discuss it.”

Ron looked at the Slytherin with a knowing look piercing his deep blue eyes. Draco nodded at Ron which caused Harry to misinterpret it as an answer to his question. Catching his error, Draco’s eyes got big and he put his hand up to stop Harry from the pending outburst.

“Before you snap Potter, I was directing my affirmation to Weasley. We already had this discussion in Diagon Alley and we both agreed after the incident at her (pointing in Hermione’s general direction) house that it would be pointless to pretend.”

Then, looking away from them, he added under his breath as an afterthought, “Less painful for me sometimes, but pointless.”

Harry nodded, understanding what he was hearing. “What can we do to make it easier? Ignore you for a bit and let you come to us?”

Ron couldn’t resist. “We could also come up to you while you are talking to Crabbe and Goyle or even Pansy and give you a massive group hug if you’d like!”

Draco’s eyes shot a fierce glare at the red haired wizard in front of him. Ron put his hands up in defeat. “I was joking. Relax.”

As the boys walked back up towards the castle, Draco was trying to clear his mind. Relaxation would not come unless he rid all negative thoughts and images before retiring to his dorm. He found it odd that more than anything he wished he could join Harry and Ron in their dorm room to keep talking and enjoying himself.

In the end, as they approached the Fat Lady’s portrait, Harry clapped him on the shoulder, followed by Ron half whispering, “See ya.”

Watching the portrait door close, Draco Malfoy prepared for his final night alone in the dungeons.
Chapter 19 - Fancy a Walk? by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I had apparently forgot what it was like to keep readers up to date with new chapters. I will try (again) to remedy that. Sorry everyone. This one is (literally) all over the place but it brings in various characters in the process. The gang picks up their supplies and tries to survive their first day back at Hogwarts with their classmates among them. Now where will allegiances lie?
Chapter 19 - Fancy a Walk?

Hermione, Ron, Harry and Draco followed Hagrid to the platform where the Hogwarts Express would be arriving with the rest of the students. The plan was to have Harry, Ron and Hermione in one of the waiting carriages and Draco would lay low in another until more students arrived.

As the train rounded the corner, everyone took their places. Before ducking into their carriages, Hermione grabbed Malfoy’s sleeve.

“Be careful.”

Were his eyes deceiving him or did she look truly worried? He winked at the bushy brunette and said, “You too,” before ducking into his seat.

After waiting for what seemed to be an eternity, the other students began sorting themselves either towards the carriages or, if they were first years, onto the boats with Hagrid.

The Golden Trio, as they were dubbed by friends, waited to see who they would be sharing their carriage with. To their disappointment, the Patil sisters climbed in. The two sisters discreetly tried to distance themselves from Harry and Ron who, in turn, did their best to avoid any eye contact with their former Yule Ball dates. Hermione simply gave them both an exaggerated greeting and took Ron’s hand in hers. This only caused Ron to look out the window and Harry to find sudden interest in the ceiling of their carriage.

Draco, meanwhile, was foolishly hoping to keep the carriage to himself. His hopes were dashed to pieces as his gray-blue eyes were met by Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood and Ginny Weasley. He laughed to himself as he realized, I suppose it could be a lot worse. At least it’s not…

Suddenly the three students entering were shoved out of the way. Draco stood up to see what had happened but when the door opened a second time it revealed the three people he least wanted to face.

Pansy Parkinson gave a very unladylike snort in amusement of who she was looking at. “You can thank us later, Draco.”

He looked perplexed.

“For what?”

Pansy rolled her eyes. “You’ve gotten a bit slower over the summer, eh Malfoy? We just got rid of the Gryffindor slime before they dared to sit in your carriage.”

Draco swallowed hard, trying to say something that would not be a lie or get him killed. Straightening up in his seat he said, “Wasn’t that a little harsh?”

Crabbe and Goyle looked at Pansy with confusion written all over their gargantuan faces. Pansy nodded as if solving a problem. “Draco, you’ve been cooped up at the Manor for too long. It’s time for you to rediscover your old self again. Having this,” she said, pointing to his prefect’s badge, “will simply make it more interesting.”

He shuddered at the thought. He gave a polite smile as Pansy took the seat next to him. He had a feeling that this was the start to a very long year, however, he was concerned first and foremost if he could survive the evening ahead of him.




Once everyone made it to the castle, the prefects were instructed to usher the first years to the grand staircase to await Professor McGonagall’s instructions. Hermione was trying her best to calm the nerves of a girl who seemed to be afraid of the Sorting Hat. She had just gotten poor Jennifer Brooks to stop hyperventilating when she felt someone standing behind her.

“Apologize to Ginny, Longbottom and Lovegood for me. I couldn’t stop them.”

Hermione spun around to glare at the Slytherin. “If they got hurt because of you, all bets are off, Malfoy.”

He put one hand up, shaking his head, “No, no, no. It was nothing like that. Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle pushed them away from my carriage so they couldn’t get in. I doubt it did more than ruffle their feathers.”

Calming down, Hermione looked at the disheveled Malfoy. “Well, then… if you don’t mind me saying, you look a bit shaken.”

He gave a half smirk. “Shaken? Well, I guess I haven’t completely lost my touch in hiding my true feelings because in reality I am about three seconds from losing my nerve completely!”

To their left they heard, “Come on, you midgets. We don’t have all day you know! It’s not like Voldemort “ oh quit your whining “ is waiting for you in the Great Hall!”

Draco and Hermione looked at each other and shook their heads. Hermione stormed off calling out, “Ronald Weasley, who do you think you are?”




The sorting was uneventful, unless you count poor Miss Brooks fainting as the Sorting Hat spoke once upon her head.

“Obviously not a Gryffindor, that one,” commented Ron as they waited for her fate.

The hat barely got the word “Huff” out as she slid off the stool, unconscious. The Hufflepuff table became quiet and sent a few students to collect their new classmate.

Following their meal and Professor Dumbledore’s speech, there was a loud scream heard from behind the doors of the Great Hall. Snapping himself out of a daydream, Draco looked down the Slytherin table. Pansy was gone.

Professor’s Snape and McGonagall looked down to their tables and saw their students leave the Great Hall in a panic. Before they could say anything, Professor Dumbledore spoke up loud enough for the students to hear.

Watching them head to the doors in the back of the Great hall, the headmaster stated, “Would all prefects assist the Head Boy and Head Girl in escorting the students to their dormitories? Tomorrow will be a busy day, indeed. Sleep well, everyone!”

“Minerva, Severus,” he continued, “Please make sure Peeves isn’t up to his usual mischief again. No sense in giving Mr. Filch an unpleasant beginning to a new school year, is there?”

As they left their seats at the staff table, they answered with a quick, “No, Headmaster.”

Harry, Ron and Hermione looked around. Where was Ginny? They all got up and met the Slytherin prefect at the door. Opening it, they followed the muffled screams to a broom cupboard. There inside was Ginny who was nursing her left leg and had a large goose egg on her forehead. Draco, surprisingly, was the first to speak up. “Where did she go, Ginny?”

The youngest Weasley pointed in the direction of the dungeons and he ran.

Harry looked confused. “Who did this to you?”

Ginny grimaced and looked into her friend’s eyes.

“Pansy.”




The doors to the Great Hall opened to find Harry, Ron and Hermione standing in front of a broom closet door. The trio watched as the heads of Slytherin and Gryffindor houses approached them. The three of them moved away from the closet door to reveal who was inside.

Professor McGonagall gasped, “Ginny Weasley, is that you?”

The potions professor looked at the other three Gryffindors. “Minerva, please fetch Madame Pomfrey. You three,” he motioned to the teens, “may begin explaining now. And where is Mr. Malfoy? I saw him exit the hall with you.”

Ginny coughed and groaned as she held her leg. “Pansy did this. Malfoy went after her.”

Professor Snape raised an eyebrow. “As in Parkinson? And why would she do this to you of all people, Miss Weasley?”

Harry offered an explanation. “I think it was subtle enough to be unexpected but blunt enough to force Malfoy to show where his allegiance lies, sir.”

Madame Pomfrey was heard approaching and muttering, “Starting early this year, I see. It couldn’t wait, could it?”

Ron got slightly miffed by her comment and turned towards the nurse. “Yeah, we just paid off Parkinson to have a go at my sister . . .”

Professor Snape stepped in. “Weasley, I will not have you using that tone of voice with any member of the staff here.”

Ron closed his mouth after mumbling, “Yes sir. Sorry Madame Pomfrey.”

The nurse nodded as she levitated Ginny. “If you would care to join us, I am taking Miss Weasley to the hospital wing.”

The three friends looked expectantly at the professors in front of them and noticed Professor McGonagall wave them away.

“That is all for now. I will speak with each of you later.”
Chapter 20 - Awkward Explanations by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
They knew their first night at Hogwarts with their classmates would not be easy but no one was expecting injuries. Things are starting to unfold and get messy . . . A huge thank you to Alyssa for a super quick beta job.
Chapter 20



Draco was trying to keep his voice calm as he called out into the deserted halls, “Pansy? Where are you? I know you’re here so just come out and talk to me.” He sighed, irritated. “I want an explanation.”


Pansy stepped out from behind a door frame with her wand raised. “I think if anyone here deserves answers Malfoy, it’s me and your true friends.”


He knew this time would come, he was just hoping to get one more good night of sleep in first. “Pansy, I think you need to sit down.”


Taking a step closer to him with her wand still drawn, she let out a shaky laugh. “I’ll stand, thanks.” She looked him up and down. “So it’s true? You really did turn traitor? Now instead of the Golden Trio, it’s the Golden Quartet. How quaint.”


Draco sat on a nearby bench and put his head in his hands in frustration. “It’s not that cut and dry, labeling me as such. I had a very difficult summer! Lucius . . . he . . . he . . .”


Pansy finished what she thought he was trying to say, “We know! He set you up to receive your Dark Mark, Draco. That should have been an honor! What happened . . . you ran? Are you insane?”


Draco interrupted her, “That’s not what I was getting at, Parkinson.”


She stopped and glared at the use of her last name. He continued.


“You don’t understand. Lucius killed my mother, Pansy. He did it in cold blood out of…”


Pansy stepped forward. “Don’t blame your father for what happened to Narcissa…”


“… Out of hate, Pansy! You’ve got to believe me!” Draco began to get a desperate edge to his voice that she was not used to but she stood her ground.


“She was weak, Draco. She was weak and so are you.”


His face fell. He looked at her cold dark eyes, lacking in any emotion but pity. Pansy stepped back.


“My dad, he can tell me what happened. I must owl him now.”


As she walked out the door, she glanced back at the blonde prefect. “I’ll deal with you later,” she said. “We’re not finished.”


He watched the door close and, a few minutes later, left to check on Ginny and tend to his prefect duties, determined to keep a level head.


As he turned the corner towards the hospital wing, Draco was met by a wide variety of expressions. Ginny was in bed staring off towards nothing in particular. Hermione appeared to be teetering between fury and helplessness. Harry and Ron, however, walked up to him in concern. He was approached first by Ron.


“Did you get everything squared away?”


Malfoy shrugged. “I tried to come clean to her about everything. It was all I could do when she asked me why I cared about your sister getting hurt. She didn’t believe me and now she’s going to owl her father.” Draco looked dumbfounded. “Ron, what have I gotten into?”


At that moment he received a sharp punch to his chin. He felt blood in his mouth. Harry stepped in.


“Ron, what was that for?”


The red haired wizard had tears in his eyes both from fury and despair. “Before you wallow in your self pity, Malfoy, take a look at my sister over there.”


Ron grabbed a submissive Draco by the face and turned him towards the bed where Ginny was laying. He continued.


“School hasn’t even begun and one of your so-called friends has Ginny laid up in the hospital with a broken leg and a slight concussion! Where is Pansy, by the way? Is she out torturing some poor Hufflepuff now?


Draco walked by Ron while he continued to yell and approached the injured Weasley. He looked at Hermione and she stepped away from the bed. He closed the curtain for privacy and sat on the edge of the bed, slowly bringing his gaze to Ginny.


“Could you ever forgive a Slytherin git such as myself for all of this?”


Just then she did something that he was not expecting. She reached out for his hand. Looking down with a hint of surprise in his eyes, he covered it with his.


He spoke softly, “She will not do this again, all right?” He began to move his hand off of hers but before he walked away he leaned in and whispered, “If you tell anyone about this,” motioning to their bonding moment, “I will vehemently deny it.”


Ginny laughed lightly as he swept through the curtains but she stopped when her brother and two friends came into view.


“He promised it would never happen again. Can I leave yet?”






Pansy made her way towards the owlery to send the letter to her father. She replayed the earlier conversation with Draco in her head and then tried to think of an explanation for the events which had plagued the youngest Malfoy.


Narcissa was weak. She must have done something to anger the Dark Lord; Lucius wouldn’t kill in cold blood, especially Narcissa. And Draco… ugh, he’s a true traitor! My oldest friend is now spending time with *them*.


Sitting on a large stone in the owlery, she prepared to send the letter. As she attached the parchment to a random barn owl she was surprised when a large black owl approached her with a letter in its beak. Glancing at it, she noticed her name on the envelope and removed it, curiosity taking over.


Could it be? She opened the letter and sat on a window ledge, ignoring the bird droppings beneath her.


Miss Parkinson “


The Dark Lord has determined that you have great promise in your future amongst the other dark wizards…



Pansy had a gleam in her eyes as she continued reading the letter from Lucius Malfoy.






Harry sat in the Gryffindor common room with Ginny while Ron and Hermione did their rounds together. Not many people were in there “ most were getting reacquainted with their dorm mates after the long summer break. This time around, however, Harry thought his time would be best spent with Ginny.


It had taken a lot of begging on Harry’s part, but Ginny was allowed to return to the dorms after her leg was mended. Thankfully it was a clean break and she had been given a potion for the pain in her head.


Ever since earlier that night in the hospital, he felt as if he needed to protect her. Ginny appeared to be perfectly content with her present company. She sat in the large chair with Harry at her feet. They silently read random school books while waiting for Ron and Hermione to return.


As if on command, the portrait hole opened to reveal the two giggling prefects. The two who had been waiting looked up. Ginny shook her head and rolled her eyes.


“Did you two actually patrol tonight or just take advantage of the dark hallways?”


Ron smacked his forehead in mock shock. “Did you hear that Hermione? We had empty school halls we could have taken advantage of! Quick “ do we have any time left?”


Hermione chided him. “Maybe these two would like a few more minutes to themselves.”


Harry and Ginny quickly stood up.


“Hermione!” they both shouted. Harry gave what could have been described as a nervous laugh.


It got quiet all of a sudden. Hermione made the first move.


“Goodnight Ronald.”


He kissed her gently in reply and said, “Night, love.”


Ginny looked over at her friend next to her and shrugged. “Night, Harry.”


Harry gave her a tight hug. “G’night, Ginny.”


Everyone made their way back to their dorms for the night.
Chapter 21 - Calm, Cool and Collected by NikkiSue
Author's Notes:
I'm getting a little better at this updating thing.

This chapter shows the first day of school in full swing. No romance in this one (sorry), but we get to see a little Pansy and Hermione chat and Draco giving Ron an ultimatum of sorts. Enjoy!

The characters and use of the Harry Potter world as a whole is borrowed temporarily from the genius that is JK Rowling.
Chapter 21 “ Calm, Cool and Collected


It had been a long and restless night. After many drawn out yawns and a few good stretches, Draco rolled out of his bed. He placed his bare feet on the cold stone floor of the Slytherin boy’s dormitory. A few muffled groans indicated his dorm mates were also trying to pull themselves away from dream land.


Standing up and allowing himself one final stretch, Draco tried to remember why he didn’t feel more refreshed. He heard Blaise in the bed next to him mutter, “Another year to torture first years, hey Draco?”


And then it dawned on him - It’s the first day of classes. His mind worked a hundred times a minute while his outer appearance showed nothing but the calm he would normally be feeling. Time for the truth to be seen by everyone . . . but how?


He rummaged through his wardrobe, looking for a watching pair of socks, losing his balance as he tried to put them on while still standing.


Do I enter each class greeting my fellow students or be a little more subtle?


He finished adjusting his Slytherin tie and made his way to the Great Hall for breakfast, Crabbe and Goyle not far behind him, per tradition. As he walked, he looked to his left and saw Ginny try to catch up. She was doing something between a jog and a trot as she approached him.


He sighed. At least it wasn’t Granger. It would be hard enough to let the new Draco out in the open as it was.


“Hey Draco, wait a second!”


Several students, mostly Slytherin, turned to look at Draco and the youngest Weasley with an expression of utter shock. They seemed to be watching in anticipation to see what Draco would do. How dare a Weasley “ not to mention a Gryffindor “ be so casual towards a Malfoy!


Draco glanced back at Ginny and slowed down so she could catch up. Crabbe and Goyle stayed behind with their friend but Malfoy brushed them off.


“Guys, I’ll just meet you at the table.”


Ginny smirked; Malfoy saw it and did the same after the boys walked away looking more than mildly confused. He turned to address Ginny.


“I’m rubbing off on you.” Draco pointed at her, barely making contact with her shoulder with his finger. She was still watching the rejected Slytherins walk into the Great Hall.


“Did you see the looks on their faces? It was priceless! I can get used to this.” Ginny’s face was flushed with amusement. She was practically glowing.


Following her gaze, Draco sobered a bit and gave a weak laugh. “I’m glad it amuses you, Weasley.” Eager to change the subject, he added in a low voice, “By the way, how is your leg?”


He was watching the two cronies with a look of apprehension, only half paying attention to the girl in front of him. Ginny seemed to understand his discomfort and put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “You know, there is a bright side to all of this madness.”


Draco huffed in disbelief, “Please enlighten me.”


Doing exactly that, she said, “You are, in all respects, one of us now. You’ll learn quickly that we stand behind our own no matter how sticky it gets.”


With a slight look that would have resembled confusion at best, he asked her, “And your point is?”


Ginny looked Draco square in the eye. “We’re not going anywhere. You’re about to learn what it’s like to have real friends.”


With that final thought, Ginny kissed him on the cheek and he saw her do the same thing to her close Gryffindor friends as she sat down for breakfast. Draco stood between the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables, briefly placing his hand over the spot where Ginny had just kissed him. He glanced in the direction of his roommates and saw Crabbe and Goyle looking at him in shock. He looked at the seat next to them and then looked directly at Pansy. He swore he saw fire in her eyes.


Draco, having suddenly lost his appetite, turned around and headed for Professor McGonagall’s room.






Harry’s cheek grew warm where Ginny had planted one of her famous morning kisses. He felt so giddy that morning that he was even able to ignore the fact that Malfoy had gotten one as well.


Harry felt slightly guilty at the reason behind his good mood. Although the blonde Slytherin had come far in righting his wrongs, he and Ron were eager to see the looks of shock from Draco’s house mates that morning. Besides, reasoned Harry, Malfoy made their lives hell for five years. A little drama wouldn’t hurt him.


Harry and Ron looked up as Draco jogged out of the breakfast hall. Hermione looked at the two boys in front of her and opened her mouth to say something but she was interrupted by Ginny.


“No, Hermione, just leave him alone for a few minutes. He probably needs time to sort through his thoughts.”


This put Hermione on the defensive. “I don’t care where the ferret goes; serves him right, missing breakfast.”


Ginny saw right through her best friend’s comments. “Please spare me the bitterness, Hermione. We all know you and Malfoy formed some sort of weird bond. Merlin knows how, seeing as he used to be especially hostel towards you.”


Watching the two girls bicker back and forth, Ron and Harry slowly and stealthily slid off the bench and disappeared out of the Great Hall.






Draco was pacing inside of the empty Transfiguration classroom. He spun around when he heard the door open but relaxed slightly when he noticed it was just Potter and Weasley.


Turning his back to them, he said, “Are you having fun yet? I’m sure what happened this morning was just the tip of the iceberg.”


Ron cleared his throat. “Malfoy, if you are done wallowing in self pity, we nicked you some food.”


Draco turned around and faced the two Gryffindors in front of him. This made Harry snicker. “I think we got his attention. Did you see how quickly he turned around when food was mentioned, Ron? You two have more in common every day!”


Without skipping a beat, Draco and Ron both replied, “Shut up, Harry!”


Laughing again, Harry commented quickly, “Just like an old married couple.”


At that moment their classmates began to file in and find their seats. Draco took one last bite of bacon and gracefully sat in the front row on the far left side. He did a poor job of hiding his shock when Hermione sat in the seat next to him leaving Harry and more importantly Ron to sit elsewhere.


He couldn’t help himself. “I’m not complaining, Granger, but shouldn’t you be sitting with your boyfriend?”


With an unattractive, “Hmph!” she scoffed at his question. “Those two can fend for themselves.”


Draco gave her a confused look. He looked back and forth between the three of them and saw the boys avoiding any eye contact with the girl.


“Trouble in the Golden Trio’s paradise? You and Weasley break up already? Wow, I had my galleons on at least a month or two into the relationship before you saw the light and came running to the handsome Slytherin… Ow! What was that for?”


Hermione rolled her eyes. “Do I honestly have to sit you down and explain to you that I care for Ron very much and you will never be more than a friend? I thought that point was already clear.”


Standing up, Draco put his hands in front of him effectively pushing Hermione away from him. “Whoa, relax! A girl is the very last thing that I want complicating my life right now, Hermione. I’ve just found myself in more of a big brother position with you, that’s all. I watch out for my own.”


He looked down at her when he was finished speaking, internally questioning what her reaction might be.

“Oh.” She looked up to her friend and then over his shoulder to the door.


At that time, Professor McGonagall walked to the front of the room commanding the attention of the students.


“Good morning, everyone. I trust you got some well-deserved rest during your holiday and if not, well, this year will be a draining one to say the least.”


There was a collective groan and some awkward shifting. Professor McGonagall tapped her wand on the chalkboard.


“We will be working in pairs this morning. I decided it might be beneficial to review last term’s materials. The pairs are listed on the board.” She held up a sheet of parchment. “I have summaries of what has been covered so far and I will pass them out as well. You may begin.”


There was a second or two of silence as the students appeared to be gathering their thoughts. A quick dash to their respective partners followed.


Harry and Ron looked at the board.


Potter “ Patil
Malfoy “ Parkinson
Weasley “ Granger
Goyle “ Finnegan
Crabbe “ Brown



The list went on but they saw what they were trying to find. Pansy Parkinson snickered in satisfaction. No one else had quite the same reaction, however Ron and Hermione acted cool and collected when they met at their table. Ron’s face turned red when he heard Malfoy whisper, “Don’t blow anything up, Weasley.”


That only made Pansy laugh harder.


Professor McGonagall looked in the direction of the laughter and cleared her throat. “I apologise class, but I seem to have slipped when I organised today’s pairings. Please note a couple of changes.”


Two pairs appeared on the board:


Malfoy “ Weasley
Granger “ Parkinson



Ron and Hermione cringed and glanced in Harry and Padma’s direction for pity. Draco shrugged at Pansy who suppressed a look of disgust and walked with poise to Hermione’s table.


Looking at Ron, Draco said, “My comment I made earlier still stands “ Don’t blow anything up because this time instead of just worrying about embarrassing yourself in front of your girlfriend, it’s my grade on the line.”


Ron groaned and spoke his mind. “This isn’t potions, Malfoy. We’re not likely to be playing with fire.”


Draco leaned in and commented under his breath, “You’d think that was obvious but I know from your sister that you already destroyed one wand. I’m not taking any chances and I’m also keeping my distance.” He began taking notes on what was on the summaries before Ron could say anything more.


On the other side of the room, Pansy was trying her best, it seemed, to keep polite conversation flowing.


“Did you have a nice summer, Grang “ erm, Hermione?” The words looked to be like poison to her and she turned red in the face as she spoke them.


The Gryffindor looked at the Slytherin with an expression of shock. “Er, uh, sure, I guess?”


Pansy smiled (almost too wide) so Hermione continued the politeness. She was on her guard but knew harm could not come to her by simply speaking words to one another.


“And how was your summer, Pansy?” She gave a dazzling smile that just spilled out sarcasm and hatred. “Did you spend a lot of time with your family?”


Pansy looked up and Hermione cringed. “I’m sorry, that came out wrong.” She wanted to do some damage control before things got too hectic.


Pansy did an outstanding job of covering up any sort of emotion and answered quickly, “No, it’s quite all right. Actually, my parents and I spent some time in France.” She was gathering notes and checking her wand for blemishes as she spoke.


Hermione tried to hide her interest. Harry and Padma watched in shock as the conversation unfolded in front of them. Harry shrugged. “Maybe this was all part of McGonagall’s plan.”


Padma almost snorted and said, “Plan or not, Harry, you just transfigured your quill into a turtle.” She grabbed his wand from his hand and placed it flat on the desk. “Pay attention, will you?”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56903