It Had to Happen on Friday by invisiblenudnik
Summary: Matai was expecting to have a semi-calm Shabbat visit with an old friend. However, when he tails his friend to her job so she can take care of something before sundown, he ends up taking her on a cross-country trip to a hospital he doesn’t even think is all that great. Of course, he should have known that the worst things always happen on your day off.

This is the Gauntlet: Second Run submission from invisiblenudnik of Ravenclaw House.


Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 12377 Read: 3087 Published: 08/29/06 Updated: 09/02/06

1. Part 1 by invisiblenudnik

2. Part 2 by invisiblenudnik

Part 1 by invisiblenudnik
As always, nothing you recognize belongs to me. Matai’s grammar mistakes are deliberate, since Matai’s first language is not English. Also, idyot is idiot and ima is Mom/Mum. Enjoy!

~*~*~Part 1~*~*~


Matilda Ochanon had gone off to do her job as a dragon handler, and that suited Matai just fine. While Matilda was a fun person to be around, her attitude hadn’t changed much from when he knew her in school. She could be so happy-go-lucky that it set him on edge. People like that, while in no way the worst type of people, made him want to smoke more than usual.

So, when Matilda had offered to let him accompany her and her partner to administer the dragons some medicine, he declined. Accepting the invitation to spend a Shabbat in Romania was one thing. But spending more time than he needed to with her was another. While he had come to her place of work in boredom and with some prodding, he didn’t want to be working on his day off. Even if it was someone else’s job.

Matai flicked the end of his fag and leaned against the fence separating the actual dragon preserve from the administrative and residential areas. From here, he could see a few of the beasts. They glittered majestically in the waning sun of the lush green landscape. It was a far cry from the desert he lived in back home.

In many ways, Matai had to admit it was rather beautiful.

However, as soon as he had squished his fag dead, a shout and a roar echoed through the landscape. Matai looked up to see where the noise had come from. No one was visible, and the only things in his line of sight were a couple of lazy dragons.

Then he heard another shout, and this time he recognized it. It wasn’t her usual happy shout, but it was Matilda’s all the same.

Curious as to what was going on, Matai picked up the broomstick that Matilda had originally brought to tempt him into going with her, and took off over the fence. He was a somewhat decent flyer, due to the fact that his job required him to fly around the Negev a lot of the time, so it didn’t take him long to spot Matilda or the reason she was shouting.

Matilda was standing on the ground, beadily watching a very mad dragon advance on her. Her broomstick was smashed to pieces not far away and it seemed like she had lost her wand. After analyzing the situation within seconds, Matai impulsively dived in.

Before the dragon knew what he was doing, Matai swooped to ground level and grabbed Matilda by the back of her robes. However, she didn’t respond to him like he thought she would, and instead she became a dead weight that almost slipped out of his grip. He had to set her down again to grab her around her waist and pulled her onto his broom.

The slight delay, however, caused the dragon to spot him and start to react.

Matai pulled up high into the air as fast as he could and then tried to gun it. However, before he got very far, Matilda finally reacted by nudging him in the ribs.

“Isn’t going to work,” she muttered.

“What isn’t?” Matai replied as she turned her head to look behind him.

“Flying away. Dragons fly, idiot.”

Matai quickly took a glance behind him and saw that she was right. The dragon was now airborne and hightailing it toward them. He knew he had to think of something, and fast. Unfortunately, though, dragons weren’t something he knew much about.

“Do something,” he told Matilda, but she shook her head.

“No wand.”

“I have one…here.” Matai quickly stuck his hand into his cloak and shoved his wand into Matilda’s hand. However, she didn’t grab it and he almost dropped it.

“Come on, I don’t know what to do. Take it!” he stated, quickly diving as the dragon shot fire at them.

“Distract it,” was Matilda’s reply. Matai grumbled in frustration and shot back up again as the dragon almost got them. He didn’t have time to think, so he shot the first spell that came to mind.

Aguamenti!” he shouted, pointing his wand behind him. The water hit him in the mouth “ exactly where he was aiming for “ but all it did was distract the dragon for a few seconds. Matai just managed to grab the broom with both hands, circling Matilda, and shoot upward as the dragon spit fire at him again. Matilda laughed weakly.

“Idiot, that doesn’t work.”

Matai ignored her and started racking his brain for something else that would distract a rather mad dragon enough for them to fly away. Maybe if he was able to confuse it into thinking they were something else, then maybe they would have a chance…

A spell finally popped into Matai’s head, and before he gave a thought to it, he cast it.

Avis!

A bunch of birds fired out of his wand, but instead of going toward the dragon, they stated chirping loudly around his head. Matai swatted one with his wand.

“No, go over there. There, idyot,” he said loudly, firing a loud blast in the direction of the dragon. The dragon, who didn’t like the noise, started charging ever faster towards them, but the birds met up with it a few seconds later. Matai didn’t stick around to watch. He instead shot out of the whole mess as fast as he could. When he couldn’t hear the birds’ twittering racket anymore, he chanced a look back. Nothing was behind them.

Matai sighed and stared jetting full speed again towards the camp. He didn’t know if dragons could pick up scents, but he didn’t want to bet on it.

*****************


Instead of flying her back to where he had originally been, Matai flew into the heart of the camp. However, what Matai didn’t expect was to be met with this much hocus pocus. There were people running around everywhere, carrying varieties of stuff. Matai pulled the broom level with the ground in a somewhat empty area and pulled Matilda off of it. However, he quickly realised that she didn’t want to support her own weight.

“Stand up,” he told her, but she shook her head. He let the broom fall to the ground and set her on the ground next to it.

“What’s the matter?” he asked.

“Twisted my knee,” Matilda replied, laughing weakly. “Me and my bad knees…”

However, she was cut off by a shadow falling over them.

“What happened?” the newcomer asked, for some reason speaking English. At first Matai thought he was a stranger, but then he realised that he was the partner that should have been out with Matilda.

“Wait, were you not with her before?” Matai stated. The man nodded.

“Yes, yes, I came back to get more vaccine…Matilda, you didn’t try to vaccinate one of the dragons, did you?”

Matilda nodded and Matai stated: “She said she hurt her knee.”

“I doubt that’s the only thing she hurt…come on,” the man said, pulling Matilda up and helping her walk. Matai picked up the broom and followed them.

Matilda’s partner led them to a rather large tent, where they were stopped at the entrance by a short woman with a white cloak on. As Matai got close enough to hear what was being said, the woman took Matilda from her partner and brought her inside. However, the man didn’t follow.

“What wrong?” Matai asked when he drew level with Matilda’s partner. The man turned to look at him.

“I don’t know. Charlene said she’d come back out and tell us.”

“Why not go in?” Matai stated matter-of-factly.

“No, no, no. You don’t want to go in there, unless you want to get sick. We’ve had some crazy flu bug going around for a week, and who knows if the dragons can give their dragon pox to us.”

“Oh.”

So they waited, watching people come in and out of the temporary dwellings around them.

Finally, after what seemed like an hour, the woman named Charlene came back out.

“You know, she’s very lucky she’s not dead, taking on a dragon like that,” Charlene stated. “But, unfortunately, we have a problem.”

“What? What’s wrong?” Matilda’s partner stated. Matai just looked at her.

“Well, I can’t tell for sure…I mean, other than that nasty burn she has on her arm and the sprained knee…it could just be that flu going around…”

“Where I come from, we speak to the point,” Matai stated matter-of-factly. Charlene looked at him like she was shocked he was there, but then she sighed.

“Fine. The point is that she might have that new version of Dragon Pox I keep seeing people come in with. Due to her injured state, I can’t really tell. This also means I can’t really treat it at the moment, and I don’t want to leave her here around all these sick people. She could just get something else, being in the state she’s in.”

“So what do you want to do?” Matilda’s partner asked.

“I need to get her to a good hospital, and I don’t me that shabby one in the town nearest here,” Charlene replied. Matai just folded his arms at this. “However, I don’t know how I’m going to get that done. After all, we’ve been losing too many people to these damn illnesses already; all I need is to get told off for sending someone away.”

Matilda’s partner threw his hands up into the air.

“I don’t care! If you need someone to go somewhere, just tell me where!”

Charlene just looked at him.

“I was thinking St. Mungo’s,” she quietly stated. “It’s the best, but it’s rather far from here…”

“It is in England, no?” Matai now asked and Charlene focused her attention on him.

“Yes, it’s in England. Say, who are you anyway?”

Before Matai could answer, Matilda’s partner jumped in.

“He’s the guy who rescued Matilda.”

“Matai Malev. I am a friend of hers,” Matai added. “Visiting. But I can go, though I can think of better place closer…”

“Oh, nothing’s better than St. Mungo’s,” Charlene stated. Matai knew this wasn’t true. After all, he’d been to St. Mungo’s before. But he decided not to argue.

“So, you’ll bring her there? Really?” Charlene asked, and Matai shook his head.

“Perfect. I’ll just get some stuff ready and send an owl to St. Mungo’s. So they know you’re coming. Don’t go anywhere.” Charlene then disappeared back into the tent.

Matai didn’t want to go all the way to St. Mungo’s, but if that woman sent that owl, they would be expecting him. And, now he thought about it for a bit, would going back home actually take less time? After all, they would have to go through security point after security point, even if they came in via Haifa. Matai knew also that England was very easy to get into, since there was almost no security. Then maybe it was a better idea to go to St. Mungo’s after all?

Matilda’s partner’s pacing brought Matai’s attention back to reality.

“What is closer, Haifa or London?” Matai asked Matilda’s partner. He stopped pacing.

“I wouldn’t have a clue,” he replied. “London?”

Matai realised that Matilda’s partner knew nothing about geography. Picturing a map in his head, he drew the conclusion that it would depend on where in Romania they were. If they were in the south, it would be better to go to Haifa. If they were in the north, it would be better to go to London. He knew for a fact that they were in the north.

So, it looked like he was heading to London after all.

A few minutes later, Charlene popped back out.

“Ok, take this bag; you might need some of the stuff in it. Now, I wouldn’t recommend Apparating, since it would be difficult for you and very hard on her. I would suggest…”

“Broom?” Matai interrupted. “I know flying carpet is not allowed in England.”

“She’s not going to be able to fly a broom, Mr…”

“No, she would ride with me,” Matai stated. Charlene gave him an agitated look, but didn’t explain it.

“That might just work…do you have a good broom? That’ll work,” she stated when Matai held up the broom in his hand. “Ok, you come with me; we’ll get this figured out. You,” she said, motioning to Matilda’s partner, “need to get to work.”

“Nice meeting you…Malev, was it?” Matilda’s partner said, holding his hand out for Matai.

“Call me Matai,” Matai stated, shaking his hand.

“Take care of Matilda for me,” he said, and then he walked away.

Charlene leaned over into his ear and whispered: “I think he likes her.”

“I noticed,” Matai replied, and he let Charlene led him into the tent.

********************


Night was falling as Matai helped Matilda out of the medical tent and to the middle of the camp. On any other Friday, it would be the start of Shabbat, but now it just felt like the start of any other day of the week. At least, Matai thought, Matilda’s knee had been fixed, and so she was not limping like last time, even though for some reason she was still a bit dazed. After getting her to more or less stand on her own, Matai pulled out his wand and muttered: “Point me.

The wand rotated and then pointed towards his right. Matilda, who was holding his other arm, looked around him.

“What you doing?” she asked.

“Figuring out where north is,” Matai replied.

“Why? Where’re we going?”

“St. Mungo’s. It’s a hospital in England,” Matai stated, and then picked up his broom. He turned himself and Matilda so they faced the direction his wand was pointing in, and then straddled his broom. After he had gotten the broom to float just above ground level, he stuck his wand back into his pocket and helped Matilda straddle the broom in front of him. Grabbing the handle so his arms wrapped around Matilda, he then took off into the sky.

Matilda laughed for some reason, but Matai ignored her.

They flew out of the camp and over the preserve. Matai took them higher so they were far from the ground and the dragons on it, not wanting to have to deal with another dragon. Matilda, however, was looking into the sky.

“The stars are coming out,” she stated.

“Yes. That’s good,” Matai replied.

“Why? Where’re we going?”

“England. North of Romania,” Matai stated again. Actually, he mused to himself, it was very lucky that it was night. Unlike a few people he knew, he liked flying at night. Not only was it very hard to be seen, it was much easier to navigate at night, if you knew the trick. One of his co-workers had taught him this when he started his job, since he usually assigned to scout south of Beersheba.

“Matilda, can you find the Big Dipper?” Matai asked.

“No,” she replied after a second of looking. “Why?”

“Don’t worry about it.” Matai sighed, steadied the broom, and looked up. He had to scan the sky for a bit, but soon enough he had found the handle of the Big Dipper. Adjusting the broom slightly to align with it, he located the two end stars of the dipper part. Matai then mentally drew a line from those two stars out, turning his broom ever so slightly until he spotted the most important star in the sky, Polaris. Gripping the broom tighter, he then picked up a bit of speed. Matilda giggled again.

“What’s funny?” Matai asked, hoping he wouldn’t regret it.

“Flying. It feels funny when you pick up speed.”

“Ok. If it’s too fast, tell me.”

“Ok. Say, where’re we going that we have to go so fast?”

Matai sighed. This was going to be one long journey.

Matai continued on the path he had currently set himself too, making sure every now and then that he was still lined up with Polaris. Matilda, it seemed, had finally stopped asking where they were going and had dozed off. Matai made sure to check that she was alive every once and awhile, but otherwise he let her be. He could concentrate better that way anyway.

However, after some time, Matai began to grow tired himself. After all, he had gotten up relatively early that morning, since he had to go into work before heading to Romania. So, Matai then scoured the ground for a good place to land. For at least twenty minuets, all he could see was trees, but soon enough a clearing came into view.

Matai descended into the clearing, and trying his hardest not to arouse Matilda, he pulled the broom level with the ground. However, Matilda must have noticed the drop, and snapped her head up as he touched his feet to the ground.

“Where are we?” she asked.

“I don’t know. But we’re going to take a break,” Matai replied, helping her off the broom. He then got off himself and surveyed the area.

At first there seemed to be nothing, but a second look around the area reveled a small wooden house nestled on the edge of the clearing. Picking up his broom, Matai guided Matilda toward the house. However, once they got within a couple of feet of the building, the smell of decay hit them hard.

“This place stinks,” Matilda stated, covering her nose with her good arm.

“Well noted.”

“Well, I’m not going in there,” she replied and went to step back. However, it seemed that she was still unsteady, and therefore almost tripped. Matai steadied her and then sat her on the ground. He then placed the broom and bag next to her.

“Stay here. I will be back,” Matai stated. “Stay awake.”

“Why? Where’re you going?” Matilda asked.

“To check out the house. I won’t be long.” Matai made sure she was secure, safely away from the candle he had lit and within sight of the house, and then headed off towards it. In reality, he was very curious why a house was in the middle of nowhere, and, more importantly, why it stunk so badly. You never knew what could be around things like this. And, sometimes, you could find things that were useful.

Matai covered his face with his cloak as he drew nearer to the house. After making sure Matilda was still sitting where he left her, he approached the door. But before he had a chance to open it, he became aware of someone watching him.

A quick examination, however, reveled that it wasn’t someone, but some thing was watching him. A green, fungus like thing was eyeing him with its oddly placed eyes from the wall. For some reason, that bugged him, and so he pulled out his wand and sent a spark at the thing. It immediately scurried from the spark, only to implant itself five inches away.

For the life of him, he had never seen anything like it.

Attempting to get out of the thing’s eyesight, Matai went to the other side of the building. It was empty save for one very dirty window, so Matai wiped a spot clean with his sleeve to peer through.

Lumos,” he muttered, and Matai shined the light into the house.

The first thing he saw was many pairs of eyes blink. The inside was covered with these eyed fungus things, and now they were all staring at him and his wand light.

Matai immediately un-lit his wand and headed back to where Matilda was sitting. She had her eyes closed, but she opened them as he came up.

“I thought I told you to stay awake,” Matai stated.

“I was awake,” Matilda replied. “Where’d you go?”

“That house. It’s infested with some fungus thing with eyeballs.”

“Oh.”

Matai then sat down across from Matilda, grabbing the bag and looking for something that might keep him awake all night. After finding nothing of the sort, he took a candy bar out of his pocket and started eating it. Matilda seemed lost in thought.

“Hungry?” Matai asked, but Matilda shook her head. Matai shrugged and took another bite out of his candy bar.

All of the sudden, Matilda laughed.

“What’s funny?” Matai stated.

“You know, those eyeballs are really fun to play with. I remember, my ima used to have to kill these green things with eyeballs all the time, she said they ate the house with liquid! Yeah…but…where was I going with this?”

“You played with eyeballs?” Matai asked, a little confused. He couldn’t picture Matilda at any stage of her life playing with eyeballs.

“Yes, Bundimun eyeballs. My ima used to get them from somewhere, put them in a jar…”

“What’s a Bundimun?” Matai interrupted.

“I don’t know. Why are you asking me?” Matilda replied, making a face.

“Ok, ok. Where were the eyeballs from?”

“Those green fungus things my ima used to kill all the time. She put the eyeballs in a jar, I used to take them and bounce them around...she used to always yell at me: ‘Put those Bundimun eyeballs back!’ He he, she didn’t like me playing with the eyeballs.”

Matai watched Matilda laugh with her memory. So, if what Matilda was remembering was correct, those green fungus things with eyes were called Bundimun, and they ate at houses with liquid. Matai was now very glad he never walked through that door.

Matai sat in the clearing for a few more minutes, and then got up, blowing out the candle in the process.

“Come on, we have to get going,” he told Matilda, grabbing her good arm and pulling her up.

“Why? Where’re we going?”

Matai ignored her, and instead just picked up the bag and slung it over his head. He then picked up the broom, got himself and Matilda on it, and took off.

Matai flew on until he felt that he couldn’t keep his eyes open. Normally, that wouldn’t have stopped him, but with Matilda in tow, he really didn’t want to take a nosedive due to a micronap.

After all, who knew what would cause her to get worse?

So, Matai scoured the ground once again. However, this time he had a feeling he had been here before. The layout of the woods below looked too familiar.

A minute later, he knew why.

Below him lay a little village, and on the outskirts stood a building known for its shady and non-human clientele -- the Stoker's Den. Unfortunately, he had had the opportunity of staying there once before, and it wasn’t a fun experience. However, if he remembered correctly, it was the only place to stay for awhile.

Unless, of course, he wanted to risk nose-diving on the way to the next Wizard-friendly town.

Matai gradually dropped altitude, and a few minutes later he was in front of the pub’s door. Hovering near the building, he gently shook Matilda to a semi-state of coherence. After blinking for a few seconds, she stated: “Where are we?”

“The Stoker’s Den,” Matai stated, speaking in a whisper. “But first listen to me. I need to be quiet and be alert until we get into our room. You got it? This isn’t a place I would go to unless I had no choice.”

“Why? What’s the matter?”

“This is a place filled with low-lives. Be alert and keep your mouth shut, ok?”

Matilda nodded her head and locked her jaw. Satisfied, Matai got off the broom, helped her off of it, and grabbed the broom in his free hand. Making sure he had Matilda’s waist in a good grip, Matai lead Matilda into the pub.

As soon as they had walked in, everyone looked at them. Matai scanned the room beadily, making sure he made eye contact with each pair of eyes looking at them. A few immediately shied away, but others kept staring.

They’re eyeing Matilda, Matai thought, but his appeared confidence didn’t falter. He just made sure Matilda appeared as steady as she could and that he was just holding her waist as a sign of affection. Seconds later, they were approached by the landlady, a pale woman with straight black hair. She eyed him and Matilda with her equally pale eyes.

“You’ve been here before,” she stated. “But not the woman, I remember. Will you be joining our guests at the bar again?”

“No, a room is all I need.”

“But I believe there is someone here that would recognize you too. Aren’t you meeting him here?”

Matai shifted his eyes around the room, where he spotted a familiar face. It was a well known crook and trafficker who had a morbid fascination with the vampires that haunted this joint. Matai had once had a chat with him in order to find out where a loot of missing items had gone, though since he was not one of the people that actually had handled the loot in that case, he didn’t get arrested for any part in it. That was the reason he was here the first time.

“No. I need a room,” Matai replied, making sure to meet the woman’s eyes. The lady smiled and he felt Matilda shiver. Matai kept his face straight.

“Why don’t you have a drink anyway? It is on the house for repeat clientele, and it looks like your lady friend could use one.” The landlady went to pat Matilda’s shoulder, but Matai jerked her away and gave the woman a look.

“I said no. Can you listen?” Matai said, letting a bitter tone come into his voice. “I need a room, for I will not be staying long.”

The woman’s expression didn’t change, but she went off to a nearby cabinet to retrieve a key. A very pale man who was standing close by now smiled.

“Why don’t you stay…Matan, was it?” the man looked to the crook for confirmation, and the crook nodded.

“Yes, Matan Binedi, I remember. You were the one very interested in the Dimona heist…yes…” The crook also smiled and most of the clientele turned to look. Matilda went to open her mouth but Matai stepped on her foot and she stopped.

“Well, I just noticed your friend reeks of death, I did,” the pale man said. “If you stay, we could help her…it would be my pleasure…”

“If I need your services, I will ask you. Now,” Matai paused as the woman came back and handed him a silver key, “I will be going to my room. Goodnight.”

As Matai lead Matilda out of the room and up a pair of stairs, he could hear the vampire go: “As you wish, Mr. Binedi.”

After climbing the staircase, they ended up in a dingy hallway. Quickly scanning the area for any body, Matai almost dragged Matilda at a quick pace to their room. He then unlocked the door and hurried inside.

Once they were in, Matai quickly locked the door and cast a spell that let no sound escape the room. He then led Matilda to the bed and lit a light.

Matilda just looked at him.

“You can talk now,” he stated. Matilda was silent for a few more minutes, but then she spoke.

“You…you’re name isn’t Matan Dinibi, is it?”

Matai laughed dryly.

“No. That is a name I use in my line of work. Though, my given name should have been Matan.”

“Really?”

“Yes, but my ima misspelled it. Now, lay down and go to sleep. I will wake you when we need to leave.”

“But how do you misspell Matan to be Matai? It makes no sense,” Matilda persisted. Matai gave her a look and she laid down on the bed.

“She didn’t write out the nun completely. In script, that makes it a yud. Now, go to sleep.”

“But what if those…things…come in here?”

Matai went over to the bed, pulled out the covers, and then sat down on it.

“They will not come in here; I will make sure. Now, sleep.”

“But…”

“Sleep. Go to sleep, and I will deal with it. This is my job, after all.”

“Ok, ok…” Matilda trailed off as she curled up under the covers. Matai quickly got up, and then turned his attention to the door. Vampires might be tricky creatures, but they weren’t wizards. Most probably had no clue what to do with a wand, nor were allowed one, though that probably wouldn’t stop anyone here from giving them one.

No, his main problem was the crook, but the vampires still needed to be kept at bay. He didn’t know enough about them and the crook did. However, he knew that they liked the dark…no, they needed the dark. The crook he could stop by charming the door and window shut, putting up an anti-Apparition jinx, and setting an alarm if the door or the window was uncharmed. He’ll stop the vampires from wanting to come in here by keeping a light on. A really bright light, something as strong as the sun. The only flaw would be if Matilda woke up once he set it up.

Matai thought the plan over again, and figured it would work. He had a feeling, though, that the crook wouldn’t care about his presence, and if the vampires didn’t want to come in here anymore, he wouldn’t care about trying to get in. But if his job taught him something, it was to assume the worst.

So he assumed the worst and set all the spells to keep any human out of the room. Then, he thought about how to create the light.

He would need to light a magical fire, but it would have to be big but not destructive. He couldn’t be setting the whole place on fire. That would defeat the purpose.

Matai looked around the room for something to use as the base of the fire. The windows, he found, were easy. All he had to do was light the curtains on fire. So he did, lighting the inside of it with a bright blue flame and then, once the curtain caught fire, cast a Flame-Freezing charm on it. Now, it gave off light and seemed to flicker, but didn’t release any heat or burn the curtains to smithereens. To contain the fire, he conjured a thin coating of glass around the curtains. They couldn’t spread through the glass, so they would stay at the window. Moving to the door, Matai took a few moldy blankets out of a cupboard, hung them over the door, and did the same thing. That way, if the vampires got the crook to open the door or window for them, they would be blinded by the light and the crook would think the room was on fire. Perfect.

Double checking to make sure everything was in place, Matai then sat himself in a chair and quickly fell asleep.

Part 2 by invisiblenudnik
Again, nothing you know is mine. Ditto the first chapter disclaimer. Also, the first portrat's song and the riddles are not mine, they were part of the promps for the Gauntlet. So, credit belongs to whoever wrote the prompts.

~*~*~Part 2~*~*~


It was still early in the morning, but a distrust for the clientele here lead Matai to get up earlier than usual. Anyway, he knew he could make a quick exit while the vampires were hiding from the rising sun.

He quickly disabled the spells he had cast the night before and then shook Matilda until she was as conscious as he could hope. Matai then quickly pulled her onto her feet and lead her back to the foyer. They then made a left into a deserted lounge.

“We’re going to take a Floo trip, ok? Here…ok, you’ll go with me,” Matai stated as Matilda remained relatively unresponsive and didn’t grab the bag he was trying to give her. He then lead her to the fireplace in the room, got some Floo powder from the jar on the mantel, and made sure it was Floo powder before throwing it into the fire. Once the fire turned green, Matai secured his broom to the bag, slung the bag over his shoulder, and pushed Matilda into the fire with him. He then grabbed Matilda’s waist from behind and shouted “St. Mungo’s!” Matilda shrieked as they started spinning around and around and around…

Finally, they both crash landed on the floor of one of St. Mungo’s fireplaces. Matai quickly pulled Matilda to her feet and out of the fireplace. He then walked out of the Floo area and down a short hallway to the reception desk. The blond witch sitting at the desk looked up at them.

“What seems to be the problem?” she asked, looking at Matilda pointedly. Matai wondered if she really looked that sick now. He hadn’t noticed much of a change.

“I was directed to bring her here,” Matai stated. “From the Dragomirna Dragon Preserve.”

“By who?” the witch asked in a confused tone.
“The nurse there. Charlene is her name. I do not know what her surname is.”

“Er…ok. So, what’s the problem?” the witch asked in a bored voice. Matai had a feeling that if there were many other people around at this hour, she wouldn’t be so patient with him.

“Do not know. She is ill, sick with something.”

“Well…write the patient’s name here, and go sit over there and wait. You, sir, what seems to be the problem?” the witch called out to a man wondering aimlessly behind them. Matai wrote down Matilda’s name and then lead her to the rickety chairs the blond witch had pointed out. For awhile, they just sat there. Matilda seemed to dose off again and Matai spent his time scanning the area, which was starting to become more and more crowded with patients. Just as he had started to study one of the new entries, a woman with a child that was bouncing off the walls literally, a woman wearing a lime green cloak came up to them.

“Matilda Ok-ay-non?” she stated, looking at him. “I assume that’s not you.”

“No, that is her.” Matai pointed to the zoned out Matilda, not bothering to correct the Healer’s pronunciation of her surname.

“So, what seems to be the problem?” the Healer asked, bending down and tapping Matilda on the shoulder. She opened her eyes and muttered: “When are we going to get there, Matai?”

However, Matai was the only one who could understand her.

“How long has she been babbling nonsense?” the Healer now asked, trying to look into Matilda’s eyes.

“It was not nonsense. She say: When are we going to get there?” Matai replied, ignoring the use of his name in that sentence.

“I’m assuming you are not from England, then?” the Healer stated. “Though, that comment still makes no sense.”

“At least she knows we are going somewhere.”

“She didn’t before?”

“No,” Matai stated matter-of-factly.

The Healer noted this on her clipboard and then continued to look Matilda over.

“Ok then, do you know what caused the state she’s in? Did she eat anything, take any potions…”

“The nurse at the preserve said that she is ill with something. She did get attached by a dragon before, but Charlene took care of the injuries from that.”

The Healer now looked back at him.

“What preserve?”

“Dragomirna Dragon Preserve.”

The Healer smiled.

“Ahh…yes, in Romania, right? I know this Charlene. Well, then, I happen to agree with her. Now, I’m going to get someone to take Miss Ok-ay-non…”

“Och-ah-noon. With a hard ‘ch’,” Matai finally corrected.

“Ok, Ms Och-ah-noon up to the second floor? Is she able to walk?”

Matai didn’t answer, but pulled Matilda to her feet. The Healer folded up her notes and called a young man over to her. She then handed him the paper.

“Take this young lady to the second floor, have Cummings look over her,” the Healer told the man. The man gently took a hold of Matilda’s arm and led her off.

“Now, Mr… ”

“Matai. Matai Malev.”

“Mr. Malev,” she repeated. “You should go up to the fifth floor and wait until one of our helpers contacts you. It’s best not to be underfoot as the Healers look over her, ok?”

“Sure,” Matai muttered as the Healer now scurried off to some other poor bloke. He then wondered in the direction he had seen the young man lead Matilda off too. However, he was stopped by the blond witch.

“And where do you think you’re going?” she called to him as he went to walk through a set of doors.

“The second floor,” Matai stated matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, ok. You don’t think I know what the Healer said, do you? Off to the fifth floor with you. Come on now, it’s through this door.” The witch pointed at a door off to the side of her floor sign. If he wasn’t so wiped out by the cross country trip, Matai would have argued with the witch, or with the Healer for that matter. However, Matai was beyond caring where he was at this point, as long as Matilda was where she needed to be. So, he went through the door the witch pointed out and climbed the stairs to the fifth floor.

**********************


Matai was doing his usual boredom time activity of people watching when a young woman in a lime green cloak approached him.

“Sir, are you Mr. Malev?” she asked nervously.

“Yes.”

“You can follow me,” she stated.

“Where?” Matai replied.

“The second floor. Healer Cummings wants to talk to you, I don’t know why, si…”

“Ok, I come,” Matai interrupted and got up. The young woman looked relived, and promptly turned around and led him out of the tea room. Matai followed her to another staircase and to the second floor. They then walked through the corridor of doors up to another desk, where an older man sat.

“Um...Mr. Cummings, Julian, sir? I got Mr. Malev for you,” the young woman mumbled. The man looked up at them.

“Oh, yes, thank you, Ann.”

The young woman stood there for a few seconds, and then scurried off. The man then came from behind the desk and up to Matai.

“So, Mr. Malev, are you a relative of Miss Ochanon?”

“No, friend of hers,” Matai replied. “Why?”

“Well, I’m not supposed to release this information to anyone but her family, but…” The man looked around. “…but since I’ve been told you’ve come from Romania, it would be a waste of time trying to find her family, let alone have them come all the way up here. I’m assuming you know her family?”

“A bit, though you assume a lot here, I notice.”

The man chuckled.

“Well, not all assumptions are bad; they just have to be back up with facts sooner or later. They know you enough to tell you what was wrong if they came up here and found out first, at least?”

“Yes, why not?”

“Well, then I might as well tell you and then contact the family after. After all, there really isn’t much we can do now.”

“For Matilda?” Matai asked, confused.

“Yes, for Matilda. You see, she has this new illness that’s been popping up everywhere…we haven’t named it yet, but we’ve seen it before…and unfortunately, we have no clue where it came from so…”

“Get to the point,” Matai interrupted.

“Excuse me?” the man replied. Matai shrugged his shoulders.

“You English, you always talking and talking on about nonsense so you avoid the point. What is the point?”

“Well…yes…I guess that’s true,” the man stated. “Well, the point is that your friend here has some disease that we don’t know about and can’t cure. Unfortunately, it also deadly, and our experience has been that after two weeks…well, there’s nothing to be done.”

The man paused and Matai gave him a studying stare.

“You say, she is dead?” he asked.

“No, no, she’s not dead now…”

“I know,” Matai interrupted. “You say, she is dead in two weeks?”

“Well, give or take…”

Matai shot him a look.

“Ok, probably,” the man said. “It is probable that in two weeks, your friend could be dead.”

“Thank you. Now, you need to contact her family, no?” Matai grabbed a piece of paper and a quill off of the desk and wrote Matilda’s old address on it.

“Here, this is where they live.”

The man looked at it.

“Israel? I thought you two came from Romania?”

“No, she works in Romania and lives there now. We are from Israel.”

“Well, ok then…thank you…” the man trailed off, going back behind the desk and messing with something. Matai then went to walk off.

“You know, you can go in and see here…it’s the third door on your right…”

Matai heard him, just kept walking in that general direction. When he came to the door the Healer had indicated, he decided against going in for now. After all, she would probably be in la-la land again, and he had just spent a whole night with her.

What he needed was a break. He could visit her in an hour or two.

Matai kept walking until he reached the staircase, but this time he just wondered onto the first floor. He didn’t know what to make of this situation. An innocent trip to spend Shabbat with a friend ended them up here in a foreign hospital with a Healer saying that his friend was terminally ill.

What a way to spend a Shabbat. He should have gone to Haifa, damn rambling Brits.

Sticking his hands in his pockets, he wondered around the first floor until a Healer stopped him and re-directed him back to the staircase. Mumbling under his breath at her, he turned around and went down to the ground floor again.

He had nothing else to do for the day, so might as well wonder around this hospital.

Making sure he didn’t pass by the blond witch at the reception desk, Matai now wandered the ground floor, not really noticing where he was going. However, a voice brought him back to earth once again.

“Lost?”

Matai turned around and found himself facing a portrait of a wizard, dressed like he was from the dark ages or something. He knew portraits could be annoying, so he just looked at it.

“You know, you seem like you’re in quite a jam. Yes, I heard what Healer Cummings told you,” the portrait stated, reading the look of confusion on Matai’s face. Matai shrugged.

“So?”

“So, my fine young man, you seem like you’re in need of some direction. You see, there was once this great Healer, Hippocrates, who was the master of all medical wizardry…”

“Ok, I don’t want to listen to this anymore,” Matai interrupted and started walking away, but the man jumped into the next portrait he passed.

“No, no, listen! This man can help your friend!”

“How can a dead man help my friend?” Matai stated.

“You see, his portrait also resides in this place, and being the great Healer he was, he probably could help you figure something out that none of these future fools can.”

Matai thought for a moment. Sure, he was listening to a portrait of all things, but what else did he have to do? Wait around for Matilda’s family to show up? He might as well have a goal if he was going to keep wandering.

“Ok. Where can I find this portrait?”

“Wonderful! Now, listen, and I will tell you a story!”

Matai groaned, but he wouldn’t have expected different. So he folded his arms and watched the man as he began to sing,

I sing of a tale worthy of myth and legend,
Few who doubted were later enlightened.
I tell the story of how St. Mungo came to be,
An apparition that Bonham had come to see.

Grecian wizard of the past was this great man,
Through him Mungo Bonham's vision hath began.
When the hospital was built, Hippocrates' ghost was at peace.
Bondage upon his soul, this world hath finally release.

A portrait of this ghost is all we have now,
One summer night is all that nature would allow.
A night he'll come to share his boundless knowledge,
The only time when this ghostly portrait gain earthly passage.

Alas, we know the time but ne'er the place ...
Place whence the Healer's presence be grace.
Many-a-claim from those who saw and were helped,
Many-a-patients his healing presence hath been felt
,”

“And how will this help me?” Matai replied.

“It will, trust me! Goodbye, my friend.” And without another word, the medieval man disappeared out of the second portrait.

Matai kept staring at the portrait until its rightful owner quipped: “You know, if you want to find him you better start looking!”

Matai sighed. He wasn’t a fan of riddles or fairy tales, but what else did he have to do? Might as well try to help his friend. After all, he’d helped her so far.

With a little more brisk in his step, Matai started looking, making sure to take in all detail around him now. While he could only hope this would lead to something and not be a general waste of his time, he knew he couldn’t assume anything.

That was the one thing that got him about this place. Everyone assumed things, and he knew from experience that you will just end up in trouble if you assume anything about a situation. Damn nutters.

Matai searched the ground floor carefully, but after seeing nothing that would resemble some old famous healer named Hippocrates, he made his way to the first floor.

Unfortunately, the same Healer that had stopped him the first time was standing right outside of the stairway door. Instead of trying to sneak around her, Matai decided to just continue his search on the second floor, and come back to the first later.
Hopefully, by then the Healer would have gone home.

Sighing, Matai trudged up the stairs to the second floor and started looking. However, as Matai passed the door to the ward Matilda was in, he stopped. He had noticed that Matilda was somewhat awake.

Well, he was here and she was sentient. He might as well go in to tell her that her family was coming.

Matai opened the door and made his way to Matilda. She looked in his direction as he conjured a chair and sat down next to her bed.

Shalom Matai, why are you still here?” Matilda stated, giggling. Matai shrugged.

“No reason. You seem to be a little more like yourself.”

Matilda giggled again.

“I wish. They gave me something out of some bottle, and I thought everything was going to disappear. But I still got the marks, look.”

Matai looked at Matilda’s now outstretched arm and realised that it was still covered with nasty burn marks.

“I thought Charlene took care of the burns,” Matai said.
Matilda shook her head.

“Well, she did something but I don’t remember what she did. She might have done something…”

“Whatever she did, it didn’t do anything. Now, I know there’s a paste for burns.” Matai got up and searched around the room, looking for a bottle of orange paste. With burns like that, Matai figured that they would have left a bottle of it somewhere.

However, all he found were a few potion ingredients, as small tabletop cauldron, and a glass mixer on Matilda’s bedside table. Matai looked at the stuff.

“What’d you doing?” Matilda asked, cocking her head and looking at Matai.

“Figuring out why a bunch of potion ingredients are on your bedside table.”

“Maybe I’m supposed to eat them!” Matilda stated and reached out for one of the ingredients. Matai blocked her hand from getting to the table.

“No! You don’t eat potion ingredients,” Matai said, gently pushing her hand away. Talking to Matilda now was like talking to his three-year old, and it was starting to annoy him.

Then again, he had to remember that she was terminally ill. Matai quickly started searching the table with the potion ingredients, trying to find what he was supposed to do with this stuff.

“Oye,” Matai finally said. “It’s like they left the parts of a broom and no directions on how to put it together.”

“Broom? But you have your broom,” Matilda replied, pointing to his bag. Matai turned around to face her.

“It was…never you mind. I was looking for directions on what to do with this stuff.”

“Directions…” Matilda stated, and then trailed off. She looked lost in thought, and Matai had a feeling that she had a clue on what to do.

“A piece of parchment, a book on how to put the things together?” Matai tried. Matilda finally smiled and grabbed something that was half buried by her sheet covers.

“You mean like this?” she said, holding the piece of paper out. Matai took it and looked at it. It was the recipe for the burn paste.

“Yes. Thank you,” Matai muttered and turned back to the ingredients. Taking the tabletop cauldron, he went to the sink on the far side of the room, put the amount of water the directions called for, and came back to the table. Matilda was looking at him with interest.

“What’d you doing?” she asked.

“Making burn paste. For your burns.”

“Oh…will it make them go away?”

“Eventually, yes,” Matai replied. He lit the little tray that was suspended under the cauldron and started uncorking some of the bottles.

“Then will we go back to Romania?” Matilda now asked. Matai paused in the middle of uncorking a bottle and looked at her.

“No. We can’t,” he replied, and for the first time in awhile his voice was hesitant.

“Why not?”

Matai decided to ignore her, and instead turned his attention to measuring out the ingredients. However, Matilda wasn’t going to give up that easily.

“Come on, Matai, why not? Come on, you can’t lie, tell me!”

Matai at first kept measuring out the ingredients, but then slowly turned back to Matilda.

“Because, this won’t get rid of everything that’s wrong with you,” he said. “And your family is coming to visit. You have to be here when your family comes.”

“Oh, great! I haven’t seen my family in ages!” Matilda said happily, and Matai knew he had gotten her off topic. Sighing, he turned back to the elaborate set up of stuff and started adding the ingredients to the cauldron. After a few minutes, it turned orange.

Just at the point where the paste was all ready, Healer Cummings came threw the door. He eyed Matai beadily.

“Um…what are you doing?”

“Making paste,” Matai replied, and Matilda giggled.

“Why are you making the paste?” the Healer now asked.

“Because she needs it, and you were not doing it.”

Healer Cummings first looked like he was going to tell Matai off, but a good look in the tabletop cauldron must have convinced him otherwise. Instead, he scurried to the door and shouted: “Ann? Ann! Get back in here and finish the job you should have done before!”

Figuring the hospital had it under control, Matai got up as the Healer came back over to the bed.

“You, out. You’ve had time with your friend, now out!” The Healer went to grab Matai’s arm to drag him out of the ward, but Matai moved himself out of reach and turned to Matilda.

“This idyot gives you any trouble, you send someone else to find me. I’ll come back later,” Matai said, knowing that the Healer couldn’t understand him. The Healer now got a hold of Matai’s arm.

“Come on now, out! To the lobby with you.”

Wrenching his arm out of the Healer’s grasp again, Matai led himself out of the ward, making sure he was two steps ahead of the Healer. On the way out, the same young woman who had found him came rushing in. The Healer immediately started yelling at her, giving Matai the opportunity to turn the opposite way from the staircase unnoticed.

*************************


Matai finished searching the second floor and found nothing. He knew there were five floors to this place. However, after searching three floors, finding nothing was starting to bug him.

But he knew there was nothing better to do but look, so he started back towards the staircase. He was halfway there, however, when he heard someone mutter behind him.

Thinking that, worst case scenario, it was the Healer who wanted him out, he didn’t turn around but instead picked up his pace a bit. However, that proved to be a really bad choice.

All of the sudden, Matai felt his mind go blank and he heard a male voice say: “Stay put. Don’t move or turn around.”

For two seconds, that’s what Matai did, though there was a slight feeling of deja vu. Then, his own voice echoed back to him.

Move, you idyot. Someone behind you just cast a spell on you.

“Don’t move,” the intruder’s voice said again.

You better move, his own voice replied. Someone just cast a spell on you, you better see who it is.

“Stay there. Stay!” the other voice cried, but without thinking about it Matai spun himself around. The voices disappeared, and Matai was left facing the last face he wanted to see right now.

“You nutter, what was that for?” Matai stated, pulling out his wand. The Stoker’s Den crook laughed.

“Ah, you thought you could blow me off like that, huh? You need to be more careful protecting your exits. We could hear you shout your location from across the lobby. Ha!”

“But why do you cast the Imperius Curse on me?” Matai replied. “What good would that do you? I don’t have anything you want.”

“Ah, but I’m sure you do. After all, why were you at the Stoker’s Den of all places last night? There had to be something in it for you. I know you, Matan. You only talk to us when something’s in it for you.”

Matai just looked at the man.

“Normally, that would be true, but it is not now. And I could say the same for you.”

“Well, yes, I guess that would be true,” the crook leaned closer to Matai, but Matai didn’t do anything to him. Face to face, this crook wasn’t much of a threat. Anyway, he wanted something, though Matai didn’t know what.

“But, come on. You were looking for something, I know it,” the crook stated.

Matai couldn’t believe it. The crook had tailed him all the way to England to try to get business out of him? If he didn’t know better, he would think the guy was stupid. Matai looked around; making sure no one was watching them talk.

“Even if I was looking for something, I would not tell you here,” Matai whispered.

“You want to meet up somewhere else? I can cut you a deal, though…”

“It is very obvious you need money right now,” Matai said in a forced whisper. “But I have no business for you. You are an idiot to follow me all the way here.”

“Well, I was going to England anyway. But, come on; let’s go get a drink later, shall we?”

“I say no, and it mean no. Now go, or else you will not be the one casting the Imperius Curse.”

“Oh, Matan, can’t you take a joke? Fine, fine. But you know where to find me if you need my services…”

The crook winked at him and passed him. Matai turned around and made sure he went down the stairs. Then, after glancing behind him and making sure the crook didn’t bring anyone else with him, Matai headed off in the same direction.

He arrived on the third floor, and immediately started searching the walls for the portrait, keeping an eye out for Healers and crooks. However, not far into the floor, Matai heard a door open and close and a man giggling.

Checking out where the noise was coming from, Matai was relived to find that it was just one of the patients seemly crazy with laughter. He studied the man and realised that he was just probably out of his mind with some problem that had landed him here.

Shrugging, Matai went to walk away, but the man then scurried closer to him and shouted: “You’re not supposed to be here! You’re not supposed to be here! I’m going to tell on you, oooo.”

Great, another five-year-old, Matai thought, but he then turned around to face the man again. The crazy man was laughing and pointing at him. Figuring the man didn’t know left from right, Matai just stated: “No, I am allowed here.”

“Oh, no you’re not! Oh, no you’re not! Liar, liar, pants on fire!”

This man had the mental capacity of a three-year-old. Matai thought about just leaving, but if he really did have the mental capacity of a three year old, he wasn’t going to forget his presence easily and he would surly tattle on him. The last thing he needed was that Healer to find out he was still around, though Matai wasn’t sure if he was that angry with him anymore. Matai decided he rather not chance it, so he thought how he would deal with his son in this situation.

“Tattle-telling is not nice,” Matai stated, and the man giggled again.

“I don’t care! You don’t belong here!” the man replied and stuck out his tongue.

“But I do belong here,” Matai countered. “Now, go back to bed.”
“No! I’m going to tell on you!”

Matai folded his arms. Noting, it seemed, would persuade this bloke to just go back to his ward and forget about him. He needed the man to forget about him and just leave him alone.
There was only one thing to do. He had to distract him.

“You cannot tell on me. You will blow my cover.”

“I don’t ca…”

“Listen, and you will care. Come here.” Matai came over to the bloke and leaned over like he had done with the crook. “You see, I am doing a job. It top secret.”

“Really?”

“Shh! You must be quiet. I will tell, but only if you don’t tell.”

“But…”

“You cannot tell. See, I am undercover.”

The man’s eyes got round, and he giggled again.

“But you must not tell. You see, if you tell, the Ministry will not be very happy with me. You must not tell. Promise?” Matai whispered.

“I promise! I promise! I’m sorry, I don’t mean to blow your cover, super secret sp…”

“Shh! I told you, you must be quiet.”

“Right,” the man whispered. “I promise to be quiet.”

“Good. Now, go back to your ward and pretend you did not meet me.”

“Ok!” And with that, the man scurried back into a door on the right. Matai sighed.

It was funny, actually, because what he had told the man wasn’t too far off of what he actually did.

**********************


Matai quickly finished covering the third floor, and then continued to the fourth. When he couldn’t find the portrait, he went back up to the fifth floor.

He couldn’t see how it would be here; after all if everyone with a hospitalized friend and their families came up here, this Healer bloke would always be bombarded with questions. However, Matai decided to look anyway.

After passing the tea place and the gift shop without being seen, he came across a portrait of the founder of St. Mungo’s. Matai studied it for two seconds, and the peered around the bend just beyond it. There was nothing but a door to a storage closet there, so Matai came back around to the Mungo Bonham’s portrait.

He had searched every floor for this Hippocrates’ portrait and had not found it. But maybe this bloke might know where it was. After all, he founded the hospital.

“Hello,” Matai stated, tapping the picture frame. Mungo Bonham woke up and looked at him.

“Ah, hello there! What can I do for you?” the portrait said.

“I am looking for the portrait of Hippocrates. Do you know where it is?”

Mungo suddenly looked pitifully at him.

“Did that portrait on the ground floor send you here with that song of his?”

“No…oh, no, I forgot about the song,” Matai replied, realizing who Mungo was talking about. “But he did tell me about Hippocrates.”

“Ah, I see. Yes, he tends to do that,” Mungo said sadly. “However, I have made an oath with Hippocrates that I wouldn’t reveal his position to anyone. You see, if I told everyone who asked me for help, everyone would bother him like they bother me, and he doesn’t want that.”

“So you cannot help?” Matai asked.

“Well…ok, ok, I will help you, just not directly. If you answer my question right, I will point you in the right direction. But first, you must choose what question you will like to be asked: a chance-game question or a mind-game question?”

Matai didn’t have to think much about this. Chance was untrustworthy, it was just like assuming. If you left things to chance, you let things happen to you and got yourself walked all over. So, Matai replied: “Mind-game.”

“Ok then, here is your riddle:

I start somewhere,
and end nowhere
I hold anything magical together
but I can't last forever
.”

Matai just looked at the portrait.

“Say it again, please?” he asked.

Mungo said the riddle again.

Matai thought for a moment, and realised that the riddle made no sense to him. How could something have no end but not last forever?

He thought about it for some more, but couldn’t come up with an answer that fit everything to a tee due to the logic conflict. Well, he might as well just go find that portrait himself.

“No clue,” Matai responded. “Is that all you’re going to give me?”

“Oh, come on, at least guess,” Mungo replied.

Guessing meant saying something random and unplanned, but if that is what it was going to take him to get away from this portrait, he might as well do it.

“A Permanent Sticking Charm,” he stated, saying the first binding magical item that came to his head.

“Well, at least you tried,” Mungo stated and Matai went to leave. However, as soon as he took two steps away, Mungo cried: “Wait! Since you’re in such a bind, I’ll give you another one.”

Matai turned back around. Well, he didn’t have anything to lose on this, so he went back to the portrait.

“Ok, what is it?”

Mungo cleared his throat.

Red eyes hath shone.
Valuable is my egg,
I have plenty of backbone,
but lack a good leg,
” he said twice. Matai thought about it.

It was definitely an animal, since it had eggs. And if it doesn’t have legs but it has a long backbone, it must be a snake. It was the only logical deduction from it.

Now, the trick was figuring out what kind of snake had red eyes and valuable eggs. Matai pondered this, trying to think of what snakes he remembered.

There was always the basilisk, but they didn’t have eggs per se. He knew this because the crooks always talked about stuff like that. And, if he remembered correctly, they didn’t have red eyes either. So that was out.

So, then, what snake had valuable eggs?
Well, he also knew that runespoor eggs were traded on the black market, since it wasn’t uncommon for African ‘traders’ to make their way across the Negev with these things. It wasn’t his job to track things that came into the country, but since he worked closely with the bloke who did, he knew about them.

However, he had seen a runespoor too, and as far as he remembered, they didn’t have red eyes.

The third thing that came to mind was those eggs that burned houses down…what was the snake called? Yes, an ashwinder. He had heard a funny story while on the job about some nutter’s house getting burned down because they hadn’t noticed that an ashwinder had laid eggs in it. And now he thought about it, the eggs were common potion ingredients. His wife had some in the cabinet.

He didn’t know the ashwinder’s eye color, but their eggs were red so why couldn’t their eyes be?

“So, do you have an answer or are you going to give up on this one too?” Mungo stated and Matai took himself out of his thoughts.

“No, I guess. Ashwinder.”

“Very good,” Mungo replied, smiling. “See, I knew you’d get there. Now, if you still want to see Hippocrates, you need to go down to the ground floor, and instead of walking straight, you need to make a left. Then, you make the next left, and then go through the door on the right. I think you can find your way from there. Goodbye, and good luck!”

And before Matai could do or say anything, Mungo disappeared from the portrait.

Matai stood looking at the portrait for a few more seconds, and then walked off feeling a little defeated. He had searched the ground floor before he came here, why didn’t he think to go around the staircase? That was probably the point. No one would think about going around the staircase unless they knew something was there. At least he wouldn’t have to go near the reception desk to find this bloke.

Matai descended the staircase to the ground floor, making sure nobody he passed had the desire to kick him out, though he was sure that incident was semi-forgiven and forgotten. Those Healers had better things to do than to hunt down a man who had tried to make a potion with stuff they shouldn’t have left out.

Reaching the ground floor, Matai quickly left the staircase and made the left Mungo told him to make. As he thought, the next left was just after that, and it put him in a little enclave.

There was a door to his left which had to be a storage space, for that would logically take him under the stairs, and there was a door to his right. If he remembered correctly he had to take the one on the right.

Hopefully, there wouldn’t be an ambush waiting for him or anything.

Matai opened the right door and found himself in a small white room. It definitely seemed like a storage closet, yet it had to be for sterile items. The room was too clean for it to be anything but. Matai went to check out the shelf on the left hand side, but then a male voice said: “I wouldn’t touch anything, or you shall not get what you are looking for.”

Matai turned around to find the portrait of Hippocrates staring back at him through an empty shelf.

“I was not going to touch,” Matai replied.

“Well, how am I supposed to know that? I don’t search minds, I heal bodies. Now, Mr. Bonham has told me that he informed you of my whereabouts.”

“Yes,” Matai stated. “But why in a storage closet?”

“If you were annoyed a thousand times a day, you would find a storage closet a much better home yourself,” Hippocrates replied. “My main portrait is in the reception area, along with Mr. Bonham’s. However, most people would find that neither of us spend much time there…”

“Because people annoy you for cures,” Matai interrupted.

“Yes, though I think Mr. Bonham is a little more willing to help than myself. Riddles and games of chance, humf. Might as well tell half the world where I am.”

Matai folded his arms.

“You are going to help me, no?”

Hippocrates studied Matai for a moment, then sighed.

“Might as well, since Mr. Bonham made it his business to send you here. What is your problem?”

Matai told him everything that he knew about Matilda’s condition. Hippocrates stared at him for a moment, then sighed again.

“Well, it seems like your friend has the curse of ignavus, but I cannot decided by you’re description alone. Tell me, who is the Healer in charge of her?”

“Healer Cummings.”

“Thank you. I will deal with this from now on. Go back to the fifth floor, and wait there.”

“Thank you,” Matai replied and walked out of the room, making sure not to be seen by anyone. He had no intention of going back to the fifth floor again to wait. There was no point. He might as well make sure this Hippocrates bloke did what he said he would.

Once Matai reached the staircase, he quickly slipped up to the second floor. Stepping onto the floor, he noticed that Matilda’s Healer was too busy talking to a nearby portrait to notice Matai’s presence. He took advantage of that fact, and slipped quietly into Matilda’s ward to await the portrait’s verdict.

************************


Matai didn’t last long in the ward, for as soon as Healer Cummings came in to show Hippocrates Matilda, he kicked Matai out and made the young woman escort him to the fifth floor.

Damn Healers. At least they didn’t make him leave the hospital.

The tea place was as boring as usual, and after looking around the gift shop to waste some time, Matai ended up falling asleep at one of the lounge seats in the shop.

The next thing he knew, he was being tapped on the shoulder by someone.

“Taking your Shabbat nap?”

Matai would have grabbed his wand, but the person talking to him was speaking Hebrew, so he knew it could only be one of few people. He looked up and realised it was Matilda’s mother, looking down on him with a small but rather sad smile on her face. Matai motioned her to sit down.

“No. Bored out of my mind. I forgot it was Shabbat.”

Matilda’s mother, now seated across from him, smiled a little wider.

“How can you forget it’s Shabbat?”

“Doesn’t feel like it. Didn’t break bread, light candles, nothing.”

“But you didn’t forget it was Shabbat, no?”

Matai folded his arms.

“No, Mrs. Ochanon, I did not forget. It was in the back of my head. It wondered off when I was dealing with this disaster and got lost. It came back up asking for directions and I sent it away.”

“Be serious,” Matilda’s mother teased.

“I am seri…”

“Ok, you are,” Matilda’s mother stated sarcastically. “Well, I have some good news, which is why I woke you up in the first place. That portrait you found figured it all out, and…”

“She’s ok?” Matai interrupted.

“She’ll be fine in a few days.”

“That’s good. At least this hospital did something right.”

“You should have gone to Haifa,” Matilda’s mother stated.

Matai sighed.

“I know, I know. What time is it?” Matai looked at his watch for the first time since he got up this morning. The watch stated: “four-forty-nine.”

“It’s still not sundown. You want to find some food to sneak down on the second floor? The food here is horrible and you all need to eat,” Matilda’s mother said.

Matai got up and Matilda’s mother followed.

“Sounds like a plan. Is Matilda awake? Is she acting her age?”

“She should be when we get back, and no. You will have to deal. Now, come on, you know England better than I do.” Matilda’s mother grabbed Matai’s arm, and guided him out of the tea shop. But, unlike normal, he didn’t try to wrench it out of her grip.

None of this might be normal, but, hey, it was still Shabbat. And while he might have forgotten the universal rule that the worst things have to happen on Friday, it was still Shabbat.

Though, Matai had to admit, it was one crazy way to spend everyone’s supposed day off.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56990