The Final Goodbye by Sly Severus
Summary: James and Lily have just gotten married, but James must say goodbye to someone from his past before he can truly begin his life with his new wife.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 970 Read: 1134 Published: 09/01/06 Updated: 09/06/06

1. Chapter 1 by Sly Severus

Chapter 1 by Sly Severus
Author's Notes:
This was originally written as a gift fic for Valentina during an in-house challenge on the fourms.

I would also like to thank Sour.Apple. for betaing this fic for me.
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




She stood by the lake, watching her reflection in the water. Tears streamed down her face. Why had she come? She knew it would end like this. She knew she wouldn’t be able to handle it. It would have been better for everyone if she had just stayed home, watching T.V. with her overweight, obnoxious husband. At least then she wouldn’t be crying. She hated to cry. It was so weak, so pointless.

She sank to the ground and buried her head in her hands. She was getting dirt all over her gown, but for the first time in her life, she didn’t care. What was a little dirt when you had just lost everything you ever wanted? She felt no desire to be a neat freak, as her sister called her, when her heart was breaking.

“Petunia,” said a soft male voice behind her.

She recognized it at once. She would recognize that voice anywhere. It was him! But what was he doing there? He had no right to be there. He had just pledged his heart to another woman. Did he follow her only to taunt her? He should have been inside celebrating his new life with his new wife”her sister.

“Go away,” she snarled.

He sat down beside her, but she refused to look at him. Why did he have to be so persistent? Couldn’t he take a hint? Hadn’t he hurt her enough?

“You don’t really want me to do that.”

“Yes, I do. Go inside with your wife. That’s where you belong.”

“I love Lily,” he told her softly.

She whipped her head up to glare at him. He looked like his typical self. His glasses, which were too big face, his deep eyes, and that unruly hair. She would have expected him to tame it for his wedding day. But that was just not James Potter’s style. She doubted that Lily cared. If she had been his bride, she wouldn’t have cared.

“So that’s what you came out here to tell me?” she snapped.

“No, I came out here to thank you. I didn’t think you would come to the wedding. You and Lily have always had your problems, but I know how much it meant to her that you came. I also know how hard it was on you to be there. I hurt you, and for that, I am truly sorry.”

“You have one oversized ego there, Mr. Potter,” she growled. “Who says that you’re the reason I’m out here? What would I want with you? In case you’ve forgotten, I’m a married woman.”

He was not put off by her rant. He seemed to understand why she said it. He always had understood her better than most.

“And I am a married man,” he told her. “That doesn’t change what we shared. That night was special to me too. I know you don’t believe that, but it’s the truth. I was with you that night because I wanted to be. It had nothing to do with your sister. I wasn’t trying to make her jealous. For once, I wasn’t thinking about Lily Evans; I was thinking about Petunia Evans. She was a really great girl, and I wouldn’t change the time I had with her for anything. But we were never meant to be.”

“Because you were in love with my sister,” she snapped.

“Yes, I always loved her, but that doesn’t mean I never cared about you. You were a surprise. I was mad that night. Sirius and I probably shouldn’t have shown up at your house unannounced, but Lily was a bit harsh. I really didn’t expect to get a plate of spaghetti dumped on my head. I also didn’t expect to meet you when I was trekking through the woods to calm down. I didn’t plan to make love to you. I didn’t think you were Lily’s sister. Nothing that night was what I expected, but it was wonderful. It was a night that I will never forget. And maybe if things had been different it could have been more.”

“But they weren’t different,” she said, feeling fresh tears well in her eyes.

“No, they weren’t.”

“I should have known better than to sleep with some strange boy in the middle of the woods.”

“Everyone needs some excitement in their life,” James replied, with a slight smirk.

She looked up at him and grinned. She knew she wasn’t fooling him. Her sadness would show in her eyes, but it didn’t matter. It was all right if he knew she was sad. As long as he knew that she still felt something for him. As long as he knew that she would one day find a way to forgive him for loving her sister.

His eyes told her that he understood.

He moved close to her, lowering his lips to hers. He kissed her lightly on the lips. There was no passion, but she could feel love just the same, even if it was only from her own desire for it to be there.

“I guess this is goodbye,” she told him, when he pulled away.

He nodded, as he stood up.

“Goodbye, Petunia. I hope that you find happiness, and I’m truly sorry that happiness wasn’t meant to be with me.”

With that he left to return to his new wife, and Petunia continued to cry for the only man who ever made her feel special.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=57123