My Cuddling Catnip Needs Some Attention by HermioneDancr
Summary: Luna’s not feeling well, but she’s having a bit of trouble figuring out why. Could it be from doxy droppings? The dusk-blooming sun rose? Or is it something even more bizarre? This story was written for expecto_patronum_this for the SPEW Secret Summer Story Swap. Post-Hogwarts, fluffy Harry/Luna.
Categories: Harry/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1063 Read: 2107 Published: 09/03/06 Updated: 09/03/06

1. My Cuddling Catnip Needs Some Attention (oneshot) by HermioneDancr

My Cuddling Catnip Needs Some Attention (oneshot) by HermioneDancr
“Luna?” Harry called down the hall, hurrying after his wife of two years. “Luna, are you all right?” Jogging to catch up, he got to the bathroom just in time to hold her head.

When she finally finished and sat back, Harry took the cup from next to her toothbrush and filled it with water from the tap. Steadying it for her as she rinsed her mouth, he gave her a concerned look.

“You okay?”

She smiled wearily in response. “I’m fine, Harry. I probably swallowed some Doxy droppings earlier when I was rummaging for those invisibility-seeing glasses, that’s all.”

“Okay,” he said, smoothing her hair down with one hand. “You look exhausted ““ let’s get you to bed.”

# # #

The morning proved to be more of the same, except that this time Harry thought to bring a glass of water with him from the dining table.

“Luna-love, are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine, Harry, really. I don’t feel all that sick, just nauseous and a bit tired. You know, I think it might be that dusk-blooming sun rose which Neville got for me in Syria. I’ve heard they can sometimes project feelings. Maybe it’s not reacting well to this heat we’re having.”

“If you say so, Luna-love. But how about you take it easy today anyway, just in case?”

“That sounds nice.” So they walked back down the hall together and got her settled on the couch, propped up against a pile of squashy cushions and lying under an afghan which was charmed to be as warm or as cool as was comfortable to the user““a wedding present from Molly Weasley.

Luna settled down comfortably and immersed herself in a book, or to be precise a treatise speculating on how fertilizer magics might be harmful to gnome populations. Harry, however, was restless. He spent an hour hovering in the living room ““ luckily his wife was caught up in her book and blissfully oblivious ““ before disappearing into the kitchen to make toast and weak broth.

He returned fifteen minutes later with the broth and toast, which he set on a small table next to her. After she had eaten a bit, Harry removed the tray to the kitchen and returned to hover some more, the crease in his forehead deepening every time Luna got up and went to the bathroom.

Around three in the afternoon she gently placed the book on the table and fell into a nap. Once certain that she really was asleep, Harry slipped out into the hall and began pacing. Luna might be unconcerned, but this did not particularly reassure him. Through all the years he had known her, he had never known her to be sick. By now he knew that his wife’s instincts, strange as they might seem, were usually correct. But her idea of “fine” was not always the same as his, and it was this that worried him.

By the time Luna woke up at half-past six, Harry had conjured a small ottoman beside the couch and was sitting upon it, holding a cup of tea (kept hot with a warming charm) and staring anxiously into her face.

She smiled dreamily at him, causing him to grin sheepishly back.

“Hello there, Luna-love. I have some tea for you, if you’d like it.”

“That would be nice.”

His face relaxed slightly as he watched her sip the tea, but Harry was too worried to just let it go. “Are you sure you’re okay, Luna-love? You were sick this morning, and you seem awfully tired. I can tell by your face that you’re still nauseous, and you’ve been going to the bathroom an awful lot.”

“I’m fine, Harry. Really. I feel more rested now. I am still a bit nauseous, but as I told you, I think the dusk-blooming sun rose is projecting. And I have had to go to the bathroom a lot, but I think that’s because I was watering it so much these last few days. Maybe it’s feeling over-watered.”

“Okay. But if there’s anything I can do for you “““

“Harry, you’ve been hovering all day. I’m perfectly fine. Why don’t you go out to the greenhouse and tend the plants? I think my cuddling catnip needs some attention.”

“Oh, er, alright. I’ll just… go see to that catnip.” Harry found himself flushing. He hadn’t been that transparent, had he? Oh well, better go out to the greenhouse and water the plants. Though he had to admit, nothing short of love for his wife could bring him to cuddle that catnip. It tickled.

# # #

Breakfast the next morning consisted of pancakes and fruit salad. Harry laughed as Luna sprinkled powdered sugar on her fruit salad and ate it all while she smiled airily at her more relaxed spouse.

But half an hour after they had finished, Luna was once again kneeling before the toilet and Harry was nearly beside himself with worry.

“What’s the matter, Luna-love? I’m worried.”

“I don’t know, Harry. Maybe Crumble-Horned Snorkacks have this effect on women? It could be that… will you fetch my book on them so I can check?”

Twenty minutes later, having skimmed the relevant section of her book, Luna frowned and shook her head. “No, it’s definitely not the presence of a crumple-horned snorkack. They’re rumored to cause nausea in very young children, but older people are too insensitive to be effected. So unless…

“Oh! That would be bizarre…” And with that she pointed her wand at herself and murmured a short incantation. The tip of Luna’s wand glowed a bright, steady white. Clearly surprised, her eyes bulged slightly and her mouth formed a small ‘O.’

Harry was lost.

Slowly, Luna regained control of her face and closed her mouth. “Harry,” she said, looking nervously into his face. “Harry, I’m not sure how to tell you this. We’re… we’re…” She paused, gulping for air. “Harry, we’re going to have a family.”

Harry felt his chest tighten. He reached out and put his hands behind her shoulders, supporting her, and looked into her face. “You’re““you’re pregnant? We’re going to have a child?”

“Yes,” she said, looking back at him. “We are.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=57215