Under a Crimson Sky by Crysta_bell
Summary: The final battle has passed, and the war has ended, but what is the outcome? How do you deal with losing a loved one? This one-shot centres around Ginny and Harry's relationship.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1597 Read: 1116 Published: 09/08/06 Updated: 09/08/06

1. Chapter 1 by Crysta_bell

Chapter 1 by Crysta_bell
Author's Notes:
This is my first story and i would really like to know what you think. PLEASE REVIEW!!!
The crimson sun set behind a large mountain, casting a faint orange glow across the tall, stone castle that had just played host to a fierce battle. It stood hard like a guardian looking out over the grounds, yet it was the one that had just been saved. The flashes of coloured light had now come to an end, leaving behind the injured, captured and dead. And although this day would be remembered by history as a great victory of good over evil, for the victors it was also a great loss.

A cool breeze played gently through the trees and made the people beneath shiver. Yet few realised it. All were preoccupied by the pair of bodies lying in the centre of the makeshift battlefield. A feeling of relief, even joy swept over those who looked upon the lifeless, shrivelled, chalk-like body that had moments earlier threatened their very existence. But it was soon over-shadowed by an extreme sense of grief, as they looked at the motionless body of a 17-yr-old boy with messy black hair and lop-sided glasses lying not 20 feet from the once powerful dark wizard.

The people that gathered around willed him to move with all their might, but he remained unmoving on the cold hard ground, wand still held by the tips of his fingers and a triumphant smile still plastered to his face. This sight was met with wails and tears. People were now involved in tight embraces by friends and family as they came to terms with the losing the hero, saviour and friend that was Harry Potter.

There were no members of The Order that felt the need to hide their grief. It was impossible for anyone who knew Harry not to care about him. No one knew this more than the brown eyed, red headed girl that stood alone on the outer edge of the battlefield.

Unnoticed, she stood under a large beech tree watching a few aurors contain the last of the captured Death Eaters. The rest of the triumphant Order of the Phoenix were crowding in the place she had minutes before seen her victorious Harry standing. She had seen it all happen, but wouldn’t believe it. Yet, as she watched her friends and family falling into each other’s arms, a slow realization dawned on her.

Ginny Weasley began to shake, trembling so much that her wand slipped from her fingers. She took two slow steps backward before collapsing to the ground. She looked around and could tell that speech and cries were coming from the people in front of her, yet she couldn’t hear a thing. The overwhelming and absolute silence rang out in her ears as the tears began to fall. She let out a howl of pain, as she felt her heart tear at the loss of her dearest love.

She brushed her trembling hand over her lips. They burned as she remembered the kiss he had given her before leaving to join the final battle.

“Stay here! Keep safe! Remember I love you. I always will…”

But she couldn’t stay behind when everyone she loved had gone to fight.

Ginny had waited for nearly a year for Harry. Waiting for him to complete the mission he had been sent on by Dumbledore, waiting for him to come home and waiting for him to concede that he needed her as much as she needed him. This moment finally arrived last week. The last few days had been spent in a state of nervous bliss, both knowing what lay ahead, yet each thankful that they had the other. And with the inside knowledge that Lord Voldemort would attempt to seize the recently closed, Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, they spent their last night alone together. Now after just getting him back, he was gone for good, and she knew that she’d never get over him.

None of her family had noticed her yet, all too focused on mourning their adopted son to notice their daughter lying crumpled on the soft grass at the base of a an old beech tree. After all she wasn’t supposed to be there. Though at the moment she hoped no one would find her. She let the tears fall, silence deafening her ears as she relived the last few hours in her mind. She remembered that kiss that last goodbye, the fleeting moment in which she considered listening to his advice before quickly following. She ran across the grounds to join the battle, the only ones who had seen her arrival were Harry who flashed her a concerned yet understanding glance and auror, Kingsley Shacklebolt, who now lay critically injured on the ground.

She hexed and cursed any Death Eater that took her on. After a long and difficult fight with Bellatrix Lestrange that left her covered in gashes and Bella lying unconscious and immobilised, she looked up in time to see the final show down between Harry and Lord Voldemort. Harry look illuminated. A growing wind seemed to surround him, he seemed possessed of some great power as he muttered the words he knew would finish Lord Voldemort. A look of success spread across Harry’s face; he knew that his curse would hit him square in the chest. Unfortunately, a green flash of light had left Voldemort’s wand before he was struck. Voldemort fell to the ground dead. Harry had no time to react and was directly hit by the killing curse. The smile still held on his face as he turned his head to throw Ginny a look of absolute fulfilment, before falling to the ground.

Ginny couldn’t believe the sight; she stood there staring blankly at his body, convincing herself that the indestructible Harry Potter who survived so much wouldn’t fall to a mumbled word. Now with the realisation that he was gone, in a field of over 20 friends and family members, she felt completely alone.

The light was fading fast, the first star had appeared shining brightly overhead, and soon night would be upon them. Ginny took some comfort in the fact that Harry would have passed happy with the knowledge that his friends, who were his family, were now safe to live their lives without the threat of Lord Voldemort. She tried to use this thought to force her to her feet, only to find that she barely had the strength to push herself into a sitting position. She buried her face into her hands remembering the thoughts and fears he had confided in her during their previous night of intimacy.

He was not afraid to die, only to fail in his mission to kill Voldemort. He had held her close as he lay beside her, and vowed to do anything to help ensure her a long and happy life, and she knew he would. But now she felt as though she would never be happy again. Lying on the ground, all she wished for was that the earth would open up and swallow her whole. She was sure that the world would stop turning, she would stop breathing, her heart would stop beating and her life would cease. She couldn’t imagine her life without Harry. But it didn’t, she was shocked to find that it just continued as it had done earlier.

She felt her brother’s strong arms enclose around her, as she lifted her head to stare at George.

“Fred, you take care of that one,” he said gesturing to the paralysed body of Bellatrix, “ I’ve got Ginny.” he said returning his gaze to his sister’s limp form.

Fred nodded, and with a flick of his wand Bellatrix rose in to the air. She floated after Fred as he walked towards some ministry officials who had recently arrived, taking notes, making charges and sending Death Eaters to Azkaban to await trial.

Tears still streaking her face, she looked into George’s eyes to find that his too were watery. She was sure that it was the most sombre and serious she had ever seen him. It wasn’t till he opened his mouth that sound came flooding back to her. There were screams of pain coming from the injured, shouts of protests from the few left over Death Eaters, and a great amount of conversation as details of the battle were shared.

“Are you alright? Do you want to see mum?” George asked.

Ginny tried to talk but when no sound came from her mouth, she instead, gently shook her head.

“Well I guess these cuts don’t look to serious…” He helped her to her feet holding her steady to keep her from falling.

“Accio wand” he said summoning Ginny’s wand to his hand.

She looked over to an area now filled with illuminated wands. Their owners looking at the spot on the ground where the body of Harry Potter lay. George followed her gaze, gripping her around the shoulders.

“It’s hard for all of us, it will be for a while, but it won’t hurt this bad forever-” George stopped as Ginny shook her head fervently.

“I loved him…” she whispered, wiping her tears on her sleeve.

George nodded, “Lets go home.”

“I loved him” was only three words, but it was the only thing anyone was able to get out of her for four weeks. The next three words she said gave her family quite a shock, her mother nearly had a heart attack,

“Mum… I’m pregnant”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=57481