Honeymoon in Australia by Khrys
Summary: Charlie Weasley goes to Romania to work with Dragons. How will he survive being so far away from home, not knowing a single witch or wizard? This is the second half of the Wedding/Honeymoon story.


Please note, this story is set in my universe from The Boy Who Lived and is the fifth in what is a planned six story series.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6782 Read: 1361 Published: 09/09/06 Updated: 09/13/06

1. Honeymoon in Australia by Khrys

Honeymoon in Australia by Khrys
Author's Notes:
Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.
Trying not to draw any more attention to the spectacular row that had just occurred, Luna did a quick repair job on Cordi’s makeup.

Surrounded by those who had stood by her side as she faced her deepest fear, Cordi stepped onto the wooden platform; her hand securely clasped in Charlie’s. They made their way to the center and stood behind a tall, ornate table. The guests had all gathered in a semicircle around the small table and seemed to be waiting patiently for something to occur.

Charlie, who wasn’t entirely sure what they were waiting for, was pleasantly surprised when Cordi pulled him into a deep kiss. When they broke apart, everyone was clapping loudly. Wolf whistles came from Fred, George, Harry, and Ron. Neville looked as if he had been on the verge of whistling when Luna firmly put a hand on his arm.

“I love you, Mr. Weasley,” Cordi whispered, sealing her pact and completing the ancient and binding magic that had made them husband and wife.

“I love you, Mrs. Weasley,” Charlie echoed.

With a loud ‘snap’, a goblet appeared on the table in front of them. Made of hammered copper, it barely fit on the table and took up virtually the entire surface. Golden flames crackled merrily from its wide mouth.

Chattering amongst themselves, the guests queued up and formed a long line with Molly and Arthur at the head.

As was custom, the guests had brought no gifts. Instead, everyone had come bearing a small piece of wisdom.

Traditionally, each guest would step up to the goblet and offer the newly wedded couple their piece of advice. As they finished speaking, a sheet of parchment bearing their ‘gift’ would appear. As the couple accepted the ‘gift’, the parchment would drop into the goblet and seal the blessing.

Arthur stepped up to the table first, as the patriarch of the family, and nervously smiled at his second eldest son. Arthur turned to Cordi, the smile strengthening as he finally decided on his advice. “May every day bring you closer in your shared love,” he announced.

“We accept this blessing,” Charlie and Cordi replied in unison.

The flames leaped out of the goblet to engulf the piece of parchment that had appeared out of thin air. When the flames were safely back in the goblet, Arthur stepped aside to watch the presentations of the rest of the gifts.

Molly stepped up to the table next, looking completely sure of the advice she was about to give. “Never go to bed mad,” she instructed loudly. “Stay up all night and fight if you need to,” she added in a quiet undertone so that only the couple could hear, “or make him sleep on the sofa.”

Charlie looked at his mum aghast while Cordi chuckled. “We accept this blessing.” Cordi’s voice was notably louder than Charlie’s this time.

Again, the flames leapt out of the goblet to accept the blessing. Molly stepped aside and Harry took his place in front of the couple. “May each moment be filled with the happiness you have dreamed of.” Harry waited for the goblet, smiling proudly at his accomplishment.

As Harry moved out of the way, Ginny walked up to face the couple. A brilliant smile graced her face, but both Charlie and Cordi could see the pain in her eyes. “Always fight fair,” she puffed. “And, if you can’t win with logic, win by volume.”

Everyone in hearing distance chuckled at Ginny’s advice, but Cordi looked at Ginny with concern. “Are you alright?” she asked worriedly.

“Harry,” Ginny called frantically. “I think we need to go. I love you guys, but we have to go. I think I’m having labor pains.”

“The baby isn’t sure for a couple of months,” Harry stuttered, looking slightly green.

“Harry,” Molly commanded. “Take her to St. Mungo’s. We’ll join you there after the reception.”

“Everything will be fine, son,” Arthur added.

“Wait,” Charlie protested, before hurriedly adding, “We accept your blessing,” along with Cordi.
The parchment appeared and was engulfed by the fire. Harry and Ginny both smiled, bade them goodbye, and Disapparated.

Charlie and Cordi both wanted to stop the ceremony and go to St. Mungo’s to be with Ginny, but Molly and Arthur wouldn’t hear of it.

“She’s fine,” Molly insisted. “False labor is usual in our family. Stress brings it on, and with everything that has happened recently, you can’t be too surprised.”

After arguing with Molly unsuccessfully, Cordi gave in and motioned to Ron to approach the table.

“May your house be your home, your family be your lifeblood, and your friends be your support,” he said mechanically. He turned to Hermione, checking to make sure that he had gotten it right, before turning back to Charlie and Cordi and smiling triumphantly.

After the blessing was accepted, Hermione waddled up to the table. “Never forget, men are from Mars and women are from Venus.” She watched in satisfied amazement as the flames swallowed her parchment.

Neville stepped up to the table next; his hands shaking slightly as he tried to steady himself. “May you have the courage to work through adversity together,” he remarked clearly.

After his blessing was accepted, Luna glided toward the table, and spoke softly. “Always beware the green eyed monster.”

Bill took Luna’s place and let his breath out slowly before speaking. “May your love last until death parts you.”

He quickly moved to the side as soon as the parchment was accepted, making room for George.

“Never play a joke that you wouldn’t want played on you,” he cracked.

Fred was next and his advice was just as serious. “May every day bring you a new joke,” he chirped.

Remus was next and he was much more serious that Fred and George, which was no large feat. “Always give second chances. Believe in third chances, and be prepared to allow for fourth chances.”

Tonks was next, and she followed in her love’s footsteps. “May your love remain steady despite the changing world around you.”

Tonks moved aside. Moody’s wooden leg clunked loudly on the wood as he limped to the table. He stopped in front of Charlie and Cordi and gave them both a once over with his magical eye. Apparently accepting that they were not imposters, he nodded. “Always protect yourselves, your home, and your family. Constant Vigilance,” he growled.

Molly looked horrified at Moody’s advice, but Charlie and Cordi were both laughing as they accepted his blessing. Hagrid was next, and he needed to take only half a step to reach the table from his place in line.

“May yer dedication be unwaverin’ in the face o’ danger,” he boomed.

Minerva followed Hagrid, looking quite small in his shadow, and assumed her place in front of the couple. She looked as if she were giving a lecture as she started her speech. “Never jump to conclusions. Take the time to discover the true form of what you face, as sometimes things are not what they seem.”

She blessed Charlie and Cordi with a rare smile before moving out of Professor Flitwick’s way.

“May your life be charmed, without the aid of magic,” he squeaked.

After accepting his blessing, there were only two people left in the line. The first was a Dragon Tamer Charlie and Cordi had worked with over the past year. Corinne stepped forward to present them with her blessing.

“Follow you heart, for it will never lead you astray,” she giggled, remembering the first time she had met Charlie and Cordi.

Liziana was the last one in line. She barely knew Charlie, and had known Cordi only as a pen pal while they were growing up. She was feeling the weight of having the last blessing for the entire ceremony. “Have fun,” she finally said, her voice full of passion and enthusiasm.

As the last blessing was given and the last piece of parchment was engulfed in flames, the goblet disappeared. With a wave of his wand, Charlie sent the table back to their cottage.

With the table gone, the guests were crowded in the center of the wooden platform. Molly herded them to the edges of the dance floor, leaving Charlie and Cordi alone for their first dance.

The first strains of the music started and Charlie and Cordi started a slow, romantic waltz. Dancing together, their lips locked in a passionate kiss, they were completely lost in their thoughts. After a few moments, they were drawn from their dream world when the song ended. The tempo of the new song was much faster, and they were joined on the dance floor by the other couples. Charlie held fast to Cordi and they kept swaying slowly, her head resting on his chest, moving in small circles while everyone around them danced vigorously.

The song ended, and once again the tempo changed. The new song was decidedly slower than both the first or second song, and many of the couple took advantage of the music to join Charlie and Cordi in their style of dancing. Fred and George sat down at a small table off the dance floor to wait out the music since Katie and Angelina could not make it.

Bill, who was sitting to the left of Fred, grinned wolfishly at them. “Someone had to watch the store, eh?” he asked, chuckling as the twins flushed.

“Katie volunteered,” George retorted.

“And Angelina wouldn’t leave without her,” Fred finished.

“Sure,” Bill replied, winking at the two women on the other side of Fred and George. “Do you believe them for an instant?” he asked reasonably, addressing Corinne and Liziana.

“Absolutely not,” Liziana responded instantly, having taken a great interest in the scarred gentleman who seemed so incredibly lost and lonely.

“While they are cute,” Corinne began, causing Fred and George to puff out their chests. “They do have that sneaky sparkle in their eyes. It’s almost as if they were planning something.”

“How…” George began, his face a mask of confusion.

“Could you have possibly known?” Fred finished with an identical look in his face.

“You’re not the only set of twins in the world,” Corinne remarked offhandedly.

“You’re a twin?” they thundered.

“Yup,” Corinne replied proudly. “I have a twin sister, Emily; she’s three minutes younger than I am.”

Fred and George turned their backs on Bill and began to chatter with Corinne in earnest. Liziana, feeling completely left out of the twin speak, wandered over and sat with Bill.

“I’m Liziana,” she offered, holding her hand out to Bill.

“Bill,” he replied plainly.

They sat together, listening to the banter going on between Corinne, Fred, and George without speaking a word. Finally, once he had built up the courage, Bill turned to Liziana and asked, “Would you care to dance?”

Fortunately, the last song had just ended and a new song started. Liziana, who had flushed deeply at his request, nodded in agreement. They joined the others on the dance floor, where even Charlie and Cordi had joined in the fast paced dancing.

After a few more songs, Molly and Arthur were dancing next to Charlie and Cordi. Molly took it upon herself to try to apologize for the scene that she and Ginny had created earlier.

“I’m truly sorry, dear,” she began apologetically. “I can’t believe that we made such a scene.”

“Really Molly,” Cordi began, only to be cut off before she could finish her sentence.

“You must call me mum,” Molly demanded.

“Mum,” Cordi tried again, only to be cut off by Charlie this time.

“Dear,” Charlie murmured in her ear. “Let her have her say, and I promise we’ll leave shortly.”

Charlie bounded away, heading toward the table where Fred, George, and Corinne had congregated after the start of the last slow song.

“Promises, promises,” Cordi grumbled, turning back to Molly. “Really Mum, it wasn’t a big deal.”

“I just simply can’t believe that Ginny and I caused such a scene.”

“The blame lies with my parents,” Cordi contradicted. “They were the ones who caused the scene. You and Ginny were just standing up for me. I appreciate that more than you know.” Cordi trailed off, wondering if she would ever hear from her parents again.

Molly looked at her sympathetically. “I’m sure they’ll come around, dear.”

Molly noticed that Cordi was on the verge of tears and pulled her into a tight hug. Suddenly, the entire area shook with, what Cordi assumed, was a mild earthquake.

“Merlin!” Molly exclaimed fearfully. She started looking about for Arthur, who had wandered off about the same time as Charlie. When she happened across Fred and George, deep in conversation with the cute young witch from the Romanian Outpost gabbing as if nothing had happened, her eyes narrowed considerably.

“Fred Weasley. George Weasley. What have you done?” she thundered.

Fred and George turned to her, looking thunderstruck at her accusations. Charlie, who appeared out of nowhere, swept a grateful Cordi out of Molly’s reach. Molly turned to Charlie in confusion.

“We have to go, Mum,” Charlie called over his shoulder. “Love you.”

“Thank you, Molly,” Cordi struggled to get out before Charlie Apparated them to their honeymoon destination.

The ‘pop’ that echoed as they left was unusually loud, as Cordi had been unprepared to Apparate.

Startled, Molly turned back to Fred and George, and continued her rant.

“The two of you,” she threatened, as she puffed up in anger.

“Honestly, Mum,” George protested.

“Mum, it wasn’t us,” Fred squawked.

“Will someone tell me what in the ruddy hell just happened,” Ron thundered, supporting Hermione carefully. “That “ blast knocked Hermione to the ground. We have to go to St. Mungo’s.”

Molly started to object, but quieted when she saw the look on Hermione’s face. “Do you want me to come with you?” she offered quietly.

“No, Mum,” Hermione gasped out. “We’ll owl you when we know more.”

Hermione and Ron Disapparated. Fred and George, who were outraged at the accusations, bombarded Molly with angry retorts.

Corrine had watched Charlie as he subtly waved his wand behind Fred and George. He summoned two small boxes out of their back pockets and levitated them into his outstretched hand. Although she was pretending to listen intently to Fred and George talk about their joke shop, she was actually keeping a watchful eye on Charlie. When the explosion occurred, Corinne had seen a few sparks fly out of the Earth near where Charlie had been standing.

“Mrs. Weasley,” Corinne began quietly. “It wasn’t Fred or George.”

“What?” Molly blurted, turning around to face the unknown witch.

“I’m Corinne,” she said, offering her hand.

“Molly Weasley,” Molly replied. “Do you know Cordi?”

“And Charlie,” Corinne confirmed. “We work together in Romania.” She scratched her chin thoughtfully, ”Although, I don’t think they’ll be there too much longer.”

“What? Why?” Molly exclaimed, looking back and forth between Fred and George wildly. “What do the two of you know about this?”

“Nothing,” George and Fred responded, taking a few large steps backwards from the impending explosion they sensed was about to take place.

“They’re honeymooning in Australia,” Corinne explained matter-of-factly. “With all the Dragons there, they’ll probably decide to stay.”

“Stay,” Molly asked weakly. She squared her shoulders and took a deep breath in through her nostrils before expelling it slowly from between her pursed lips. “Australia is safer than Romania,” she reasoned.

Suddenly, Bill and Liziana were thrown from their chairs. A blinding explosion, the second one that Charlie had set in motion before disappearing with his bride, detonated from deep within the earth.

Several people screamed as everyone was knocked to the ground with the second blast. From deep within the Earth, a fountain of brilliantly colored sparks erupted. The pillar of light seemed to reach the through the sky and into the heavens, coloring everything in its shadow.

“Those weren’t ready,” George squawked.

Fred clapped his hand over George’s mouth, cutting off anything else he was about to say as Molly rounded on them.

“The two of you lied to me,” she thundered. “You looked me in the eye and lied to me!”

“No, Mum,” Fred protested.

“We didn’t,” George mumbled through Fred’s hand.

“We brought them,” Fred admitted.

George managed to pry Fred’s fingers away from his skin long enough to explain himself.

“Mum,” he began. “We brought them, but they weren’t ready for production. We were going to test them here at the wedding, since there is loads of open space. We decided against it when we saw how distressed Ginny was during the ceremony. Someone else must have set them off.” George finished up, breathing heavily.

Fred nodded, shaking his head so vigorously that his head collided painfully with Corinne’s. She cried out in surprise and reeled from the impact.

Molly grabbed George’s face in her hand and held it fast in her hand. She stared into his eyes, searching for any trace of deception. Grudgingly she released his chin and kissed him soundly on the cheek.

“I’m sorry,” Molly apologized. “You have to give me a little credit, though; it usually is the two of you when something goes wrong.”

Fred and George managed a weak, accepting chuckle before grabbing Corinne and hurrying her over to the table area. They righted the tables and chairs and took their seats, resuming their conversation as if nothing had happened.

***

Meanwhile, in Australia, Charlie and Cordi had checked in and were lounging comfortably in their room.

“What do you want to do first?” Charlie asked softly, conveying his desires.

“Shall we stay in?” Cordi whispered seductively. “Ginny told me about this trick with chocolate…”

Cordi didn’t get her sentence finished because Charlie had pulled her into a dizzying kiss. She gave herself to him, meeting his level of passion. He broke the kiss, pulled her over on top of him and looked directly into her eyes.

“Don’t ever mention my sister and sex in the same sentence again, please,” Charlie commanded.

“Not to put too fine a point on it,” Cordi retorted, “but I didn’t.”

“You did too,” Charlie insisted.

“I merely mentioned Ginny and her incredibly sexy chocolate game,” Cordi teased.

Charlie groaned and pulled away.

“What’s wrong?” Cordi asked coyly.

“Let’s go explore the island,” Charlie offered. “I’m suddenly in the mood to be adventurous.”

“Exploration it is,” Cordi agreed happily.

“Where do you want to go?” Charlie asked, pointing at a map of Australia. “I’ve heard that there is a preserve in this area.” Charlie was pointing at an area on the magic map that looked like a giant field.

“Oooh. What species?”

“Antipodean Opaleye.”

“Those aren’t from Australia,” Cordi protested. “They’re native to New Zealand.”

“They have been known to migrate to Australia. There isn’t unlimited space on the island of New Zealand. When the valleys are full, they tend to fly over the ocean looking for a new home.”

“Really? I thought they were territorial.”

“They are. There are only so many sheep in New Zealand, though.” Charlie chuckled at Cordi’s disgusted expression. “It could be worse. They could eat humans for sport.”

“Charlie,” Cordi squealed, smacking him lightly on the arm. “Opaleyes are the exquisite ones.”

“I’ve never seen one,” Charlie admitted.

“They have iridescent scales that match their eyes. Their eyes don’t have any pupils, which is where they got their name.” Cordi’s eyes were glimmering with anticipation of seeing them up close.

“Let’s go,” Charlie chuckled, mirroring his new wife’s excitement.

Quickly, and rather haphazardly in Charlie’s opinion, Cordi threw some supplies and provisions into a knapsack and declared herself ready to leave.

“Let’s go,” she demanded enthusiastically.

Before Charlie realized it, they were out of the hotel and on the soft sand. Cordi was dragging him along the beach in her enthusiasm to see the rare dragons. She only stopped when he yelped in pain.

“What happened?” she gasped.

“I sliced my foot on a rock,” Charlie explained, wincing as the sand pressed against his fresh cut.

“I am so sorry,” Cordi whispered. “It’s entirely my fault. Let me fix that for you.”

She knelt down to dress his wound, still apologizing. When she had magically attached the gauze to protect his abrasion, Charlie pulled her into his arms and kissed her gently.

“Thank you,” he murmured into her hair.

“It was the least I could do,” Cordi replied anxiously. “Do you think you’ll be able to continue? Or, should we head back to the hotel?”

“I think I’ll live,” Charlie answered saucily.

“What are we waiting for, then?” Cordi asked.

Together, at a much slower pace, they crossed the vast sandy region and approached a valley filled with tall grasses. When they reached the area where sand met grass, they found a sign.

Beware: Dragons Ahead
Entrance Restricted
Shoot GREEN sparks for admission
Be prepared to prove qualification
If you are looking for a tour of our facilities, please step to the designated Floo Point and say clearly, “Dragon Preserve.”


Charlie motioned to a small fire pit buried in the sand. They had both stepped cleanly over it as they approached the sign. It was a wizard’s fire, as the flames were leaping from the sand with no visible source of fuel and they were brilliant hues of blue.

“Visitor or Professional?” Charlie asked.

“Let’s go behind the scenes,” Cordi replied. “We can always take the tour before we leave.”

“If you’re sure,” Charlie said, hesitating only briefly.

Cordi raised her wand and shot off a volley of green sparks. “I’m positive.”

“I hope so,” Charlie mumbled. “There’s no turning back now.”

A moment later, a familiar figure approached them.

“Hagrid?” Charlie called out across the remaining distance that separated them.

“Charlie?” Hagrid called back. “Wha’ are yeh doin’ here?”

“Honeymoon,” Charlie reminded Hagrid. “This is Cordi. You met her at the ceremony.”

“I remember,” Hagrid replied, looking mildly annoyed that Charlie would think he had forgotten, “I still ‘ave to test yeh.” The half giant looked only partially sorry that he would get to see the Dragon Tamer’s capabilities.

Charlie and Cordi were both required to perform several spells used in dealing with Dragons. When Hagrid was sufficiently impressed, he allowed the through the invisible barrier.

“Welcome teh the preserve,” he said grandly. “I’m staying here fer a while. It’s jus’ not the same at Hogwarts withou’ Dumbledore,” he added unnecessarily.

“I understand,” Charlie sighed, thinking of his old headmaster fondly.

“What work do you do here?” Cordi asked carefully.

“I’m in charge o’ the nursery,” Hagrid explained proudly.

“Opaleyes?” Charlie asked. “They’re breeding Opaleyes?”

“Not exactly,” Hagrid replied shiftily.

“Hagrid,” Charlie exclaimed. “What are you breeding?”

It wasn’ my fault,” Hagrid roared, immediately defending himself. “A Hebridean Black appeared out o’ nowhere. He wen’ gaga over the littles’ Opaleye an’ now they’ve bred.”

“You crossed an Antipodean Opaleye with a Hebridean Black?” Cordi choked.

“Yeh,” Hagrid said sheepishly. “I guess I did.”

“That’s…” Charlie began only to be interrupted by Cordi.

“Amazing.”

“That wasn’t what I was going to say,” Charlie scowled.

“I know,” Cordi smirked, “but it was the right response.”

Chatting happily about the new breed of Dragon, Charlie and Cordi struggled to keep up as they followed Hagrid through the preserve. Cordi’s feet had just begun to hurt when Hagrid stopped abruptly. He waved his hand at nothing and a door appeared in the middle of the grassy field. Hagrid stepped through the doorway with great difficulty, followed easily by Charlie and Cordi.

They gasped in astonishment and wonder as they saw the nursery. The walls were lined with crates; each holding a medium sized gray egg speckled with black splotches.

“There have to be fifty eggs,” Charlie remarked sharply, wondering how they had managed to get so many eggs from one breeding.

“Forty-eight,” Hagrid responded proudly.

“They look remarkably like an Opaleye egg, but what are those curious spots?” Cordi asked.

“Those mus’ have come from the proud papa,” Hagrid said quickly.

Cordi spent nearly an hour questioning Hagrid about the eggs. She pressed him for all of his knowledge on what the hatchlings would look like. Charlie, who was more interested in the actual Dragons, wandered away in the middle of their discussion. He had noticed a door on the other side of the nursery and he slipped through it quietly, being careful to keep the door from latching behind him.

“Crap,” Charlie exclaimed as quietly as possible for someone who has just stepped up to find himself face to face with a Hebridean Black.

Charlie gaped at the razor-sharp ridges and spikes for a second, before meeting the Dragon’s eyes. Charlie’s brown eyes stared into the Dragon’s purple ones and a silent understanding passed between them. The Hebridean Black turned around, showing Charlie his tail and lay down heavily.

“What in the name of Merlin?” Charlie muttered.

The Dragon swished his tail directly in front of Charlie, getting his attention and pointing out the problem. Charlie noticed the gash just above the spiked tip of the Dragon’s tail.

“How did that happen?” Charlie wondered aloud.

Turning his immense head to look over his shoulder, the Dragon gave him a look that plainly said that he didn’t care how it had happened.

“I’ll fix it,” Charlie said gently. “Just hold still for a tic.”

By the time Cordi and Hagrid had realized that Charlie was gone, he had bandaged the Dragon’s tail and was calmly petting his neck. Charlie stopped his petting when he saw Hagrid emerge from the small doorway looking furious.

“Wha’ are yeh doing with Spike?” Hagrid bellowed.

At that exact moment, Spike chose to ‘nudge’ Charlie. As Charlie stumbled forward, Spike nudged him again in an attempt to get him to resume his petting.

“I’ll be,” Hagrid mused. “He seems teh like yeh.”

“He does,” Charlie agreed, patting Spike’s neck.

“It looks like yeh fixed his tail righ’ up,” Hagrid complimented. “Yeh should think about staying here and helpin’ me ou’ wit’ Spike and Suzette.”

“Suzette?” Cordi exclaimed.

On cue, the Opaleye emerged from the lair and lumbered toward Hagrid. When she saw Charlie patting Spike, she changed directions mid-stride and came to an arduous stop directly in front of Cordi. As Suzette leaned down to peer into her eyes, Cordi tried not to blink. After a tense moment, Suzette nudged Cordi, just as gently as Spike had nudged Charlie.

Hagrid stood before the young couple, each patting an enormous Dragon fearlessly, thinking that they had to stay in Australia. However, before he could say anything, the Head DT of the Dragon Preserve arrived.

“What are they doing?” he bellowed.

“Sir,” Charlie said respectfully. “My name is Charlie Weasley. I am a DT, third class, and I work for the Ministry at the Romanian Outpost. This is my wife, Cordilia.” Charlie stopped the introduction there, sensing that Cordi wanted to be able to share her own achievements.

“I am also a DT, third class, and I work at the Romanian Outpost.”

“That doesn’t explain what they are doing here,” he bellowed at Hagrid a second time, rudely ignoring Charlie and Cordi.

“Spike had a gash on his tail,” Charlie explained amiably. “I dressed the wound and calmed him down just before you arrived.”

“Spike?” he screamed at Hagrid. “Why do you insist on calling the Dragon by that ridiculous name?”

Secretly, Charlie and Cordi both agreed that the names Hagrid had chosen were a little silly, but they both spoke up in his defense. They were all shouting; the words getting a little hostile, when a short witch appeared in the doorway to the nursery.

“Hagrid,” she called quietly. “Could I see you for a moment?”

“Madam Skalas,” Hagrid blushed. “O’ course.”

Hagrid hurried to the doorway and disappeared inside leaving Charlie and Cordi in a heated discussion with the disrespectful wizard. They both went silent when they realized that Hagrid had left. They stood there, patting the Dragons, trying to keep them calm while they waited for Hagrid to return.

“Charlie,” Hagrid called from the doorway. Can yeh come ‘ere? Cordi, yeh too.”

“Sure,” Charlie and Cordi replied in unison, grateful to be away from the ill-mannered wizard.

Charlie and Cordi crossed the short distance between them and the nursery, but before they could make it to the doorway, an intense burst of scarlet flames stopped them. A long black tail, complete with a fresh bandage and an intimidating arrow-shaped spike blocked the doorway. Charlie and Cordi both turned around in amazement, only to be met with two angry pair of Dragon eyes.

Hagrid whistled, distracting Spike and Suzette long enough for Charlie and Cordi to jump over Spike’s tail and close the door to the nursery behind them.

The petite witch, who was much shorter than Cordi, beckoned them to one of the incubator boxes.

“I’m Madam Skalas,” she said by way of an introduction. “You may call me Sabine, if you accept my offer of employment.”

“Your offer of what?” Cordi whispered.

Charlie was too busy picking his jaw up off the ground to be able to respond to the subtle job offer.

“Employment,” Sabine repeated. “Surely you’ve heard of such a thing?”

Charlie recovered enough to notice that Madam Sabine Skalas sounded remarkably like Professor Minerva McGonagall.

“You’re offering us jobs?” Charlie stuttered. “Here? At the Dragon Sanctuary? Without a resume?”

“Yes,” Sabine replied. “I saw you attend to the Male…” She paused when Charlie narrowed his eyes. “Spike, and I saw how protective they became after such a short while with you. Not to mention that you come highly recommended.”

“Hagrid?” Cordi inquired politely.

“Of course,” Sabine huffed. “Although, you’ll forgive me if I did take the word of Mr. Harry Potter a little more seriously.”

“Harry?” Charlie murmured incredulously.

“Harry Potter?” Cordi echoed.

“You do know him,” Sabine quipped. “Don’t you?”

“Of course we know him,” Cordi snapped. “Why did you talk to him?”

“Is there anyone else you would rather get a reference from?” Sabine smirked.

“Give us a second will you?” Cordi snarled.

“Cordi,” Charlie gasped.

“We have every right to be confused. We came here for our honeymoon. Neither one of us expected to be offered a job, right? I certainly didn’t expect them to check with Harry before offering us the job.”

“I hate to interrupt,” Sabine said, intruding on Charlie and Cordi’s whispered conversation, “but I must insist on your answer.”

“Why can’t we have more time?” Cordi demanded.

“If I’m not mistaken, Mrs. Weasley,” Sabine reasoned, making Cordi flush with the use of her married name. “There are two Dragons who are preparing to come through that door if we don’t join them outside.”

There was a loud crash, followed immediately by another burst of scarlet flames. They could hear Hagrid bellowing over the roaring. Suddenly, the entire building shook.

“We accept,” Charlie uttered quickly.

“Indeed,” Cordi added. “Thank you, Sabine.”

Charlie and Cordi made it through the door just in time to stop Spike from crashing against the building once more and leveling the nursery.

“I’ll give you another week off for your honeymoon,” Sabine yelled form the doorway. “Then I’ll give you a week to move and another week to get settled. I’ll expect you to start in three weeks. We’ll double your current salary, plus you’ll receive a bonus for each egg that survives to become a hatchling.”

Charlie turned to stare at Cordi in disbelief.

“Did you hear that?” Charlie barked.

“Yes,” Cordi shouted. “You don’t have to scream in my ear.”

Just then, then enclosure went silent.

Charlie and Cordi looked about in confusion. Just as the ominous feeling subsided, a voice emanated from the nursery causing chaos to erupt in the enclosure.

Hagrid grabbed Charlie by the back of his robes and pulled him out from under Spike’s tail just in time to keep him from getting skewered by the sharp appendage.

Cordi was not within reach, and Spike stood between her and her rescuers. Charlie summoned all of his strength and bellowed across the enclosure for Cordi to stay with Suzette. Just as he suspected, Suzette protected Cordi from Spike’s rampage.

Seeing that Cordi was safe, for the time being, Charlie turned back to the source of the noise.

“It looks like Madam Skalas has given him some bad news,” Charlie commented as casually as possible under the circumstances. After all, it’s rather hard for someone to maintain their composure when a panicked Dragon is charging around a tiny area, threatening to squash their new bride.

“He’s fired, he is,” Hagrid explained. “Not a day too soon, either.”

Charlie said nothing, but nodded his agreement.

“The nursery!” Hagrid bellowed, alerting Charlie to the danger to those trapped within.

Spike’s trampling had damaged the structural integrity of the nursery, causing it to collapse from within. Sabine was trapped inside, along with forty-eight precious Dragon eggs and one irritating Dragon Tamer. Charlie grabbed his wand from the holster inside his robes and scrambled closer to the nursery, shouting to Hagrid as he went.

“Get Sabine out,” Charlie bellowed. “And, get that git out too.”

Hagrid bravely pushed past Spike’s dangerous tail and barreled into the nursery. Charlie waited until he emerged with Sabine under one arm and the maddening Dragon tamer thrown over the opposite shoulder before channeling his magical stores into mending the cracks in the foundation of the nursery. After what seemed like an eternity, Charlie fell to the ground, exhausted to the point of fainting.

“Charlie!” Cordi screamed.

Hagrid set Sabine on the ground gently, tossed the no longer employed Dragon Tamer onto a large bush, and turned to attend to Charlie. He got within a few feet of Charlie when he was brutally rebuffed by Spike.

“Move, Spike,” Hagrid ordered.

But Spike wouldn’t budge out of his way. Instead, Spike positioned himself over Charlie’s crumpled body, settling him between his front legs protectively. Before Hagrid could react, Spike had lowered himself to the ground, laying his head on his foreleg. He shot a warning blast of fire in Hagrid’s general direction, defiantly challenging him to try and intrude.

“I’ll be,” Hagrid exclaimed. “Never in my life…”

“What’s happening, Hagrid?” Cordi questioned worriedly.

“It looks like Charlie’s made a new friend,” Hagrid answered quietly. “An’ from the looks of it, he’s not goin’ anywhere any time soon.”

Several hours later, when the sun was setting against the hills, Charlie woke up. It was only when he tried to struggle to his feet that Spike would allow Cordi to rush forward and help him.

“Did it work?” Charlie breathed.

“Yes,” Cordi replied. “Don’t do that to me,” she pleaded. “I thought I was going to lose you.”

“You couldn’t lose me if you tried,” Charlie joked, his eyes twinkling merrily. “I have an excellent sense of direction.”

“You wouldn’t know direction if you were staring at Jack’s compass,” she retorted.

Rather than point out the silliness of her comment, Charlie kissed her gently.

“Shall we go back to the hotel?” Charlie asked lovingly.

“You great…” Cordi hissed.

“Yes?” Charlie asked innocently.

“Yes,” Cordi whispered. “Let’s go.”

Sabine waited until their private exchange was finished to let them know how impressed she was with their quick reactions.

“You saved the nursery,” she announced. “And my life,” she added, as if it were an afterthought.

“We did,” Charlie confirmed.

“I’ve changed my mind,” Sabine announced.

“What?” Cordi gasped, shock and anger filling her lovely face. She pushed a strand of pale golden hair out of her eyes before continuing harshly, “You can’t do that.”

“Oh, I assure you, Mrs. Weasley, I can.”

“After everything we’ve been through-”

“I would like to double my previous offer,” Sabine said quietly, with a hint of a smile playing across her lips.

“You can’t do that,” Cordi fumed before she could comprehend what Sabine had said. “Double?” Cordi’s face paled as she realized that what was being offered was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

“Yes, double. We wouldn’t have a nursery if it weren’t for the two of you. I am convinced now, more than before, that you are the perfect people to run this sanctuary.”

“Run the sanctuary?” Charlie choked.

“We accept,” Cordi boomed over Charlie’s random mutterings.

“You should go back to your hotel room and get a good night’s sleep. I’m afraid you will have to start sooner than I had previously anticipated. How does Monday sound to you?”

“Monday?” Charlie speculated. “We could do that.”

“Charlie,” Cordi scolded. “We can’t finish our honeymoon, get to Romania to pack, and be back in two days ready to work.”

“We’ll cut our honeymoon short, use magic to pack, inform the Head DT by owl, and be back in time to start on Monday,” Charlie argued.

“You really want to cut the honeymoon short?” Cordi asked softly.

“No,” Charlie admitted reluctantly. “But what else can we do?”

“You’re right,” Cordi agreed. “This is the perfect opportunity for us. We can always have a second honeymoon later.”

“Too right,” Charlie agreed enthusiastically. “Let’s go.”

With a quick wave, Charlie and Cordi left Sabine to deal with the mess in the sanctuary.

“We’ll be back on Monday,” they called out over their shoulders simultaneously.

“Great,” Sabine said sarcastically, but with genuine warmth. “What am I supposed to do until then?” she murmured under her breath.

Charlie and Cordi reached their hotel quickly. Charlie was still groggy from his ordeal in the enclosure, and Cordi was wiped out from the tense situation.

They entered the hotel and took the stairs to their room. The room was enchanted with a one way window that looked out upon the serene water of the ocean.

Charlie conjured an overlarge chair for the two of them to sit in together while they watched the sunset. As they stared out the window, the sun dipped below the horizon. The evening was full of pale colors, perfectly blended together so that the layers morphed seamlessly from the blue of the ocean, to the pink, gray, and dark blue of the sky.

Cordi snuggled into the crook of Charlie’s arm, yawning loudly as she relaxed against her new husband. She giggled self consciously, covering her mouth after the fact.

As she nudged Charlie’s neck with her nose, she kissed his neck tenderly. She rested her forehead against his ear and ran her fingers across his chest. Absently, not noticing the effect she was having on Charlie, she tangled her fingers in his hair and rubbed his scalp.

“Mmm. Honey,” Charlie sighed. “That feels…”

“Do you want me to stop?” Cordi asked worriedly.

“NO,” Charlie thundered, much louder than he intended.

“Sorry,” Cordi yelped, thinking that she had done something horribly wrong.

Pulling her hand away, Cordi made to move to the bed to give Charlie his space. Cordi only got her body a fraction of the way off the chair when Charlie brought her full weight crashing down on him.

“I loved it,” Charlie whispered huskily. “I didn’t want you to stop.”

Looking thoroughly confused, Cordi replied, “I’ve never…”

“I know,” Charlie reassured her. “If you want to wait, I’ll understand. We’ve had a long day.”

“I don’t want to wait,” Cordi exploded.

Charlie carried Cordi to the bed and laid her down gently. He pressed his lips to her, setting her on fire each time he kissed her exposed skin.

Within minutes, they were fully undressed and exploring each other’s bodies. Despite her lack of experience, Cordi urged Charlie to match her frantic pace. Together they spurred each other to impossible heights.

Hours later, tired and spent, they lay together. With their bodies entwined, Charlie and Cordi planned the next few days as they drifted off to sleep.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=57572