Open Doors Closed by MidnightJewel by MidnightJewel
Summary: After the final war takes place, Harry and Hermione decide to return to Hogwarts for their seventh year. Hermione is selected as head girl, along with Draco Malfoy as head boy. What happens when one falls for the other and the only thing keeping them apart is a secret?
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8671 Read: 9802 Published: 09/17/06 Updated: 10/02/06

1. Chapter 1: A New Beginning by MidnightJewel

2. Chapter 2: Composure and Crying by MidnightJewel

4. Chapter 3: It’s a First by MidnightJewel

4. Chapter 4: Conversations by MidnightJewel

Chapter 1: A New Beginning by MidnightJewel
Author's Notes:
This is my first fanfic ever, and I’d really appreciate it if you left some reviews to tell me what you think. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the story.

Disclaimer: J.K Rowling is the creator and owner of the ingenious Harry Potter universe and everything within it.

Hermione woke up from another restless night of sleep. It was the same dream that caused her to be deprived of sleep each and every single night ever since the final war. The inevitable war had taken place three months ago, and Harry Potter had indeed succeeded in defeating Lord Voldemort for the last time. Although the wizarding world was now free from its fear of the Dark Lord, it was not a very joyful time. Thousands of lives had been lost including quite a few who were very close to Hermione. Both her mother and father had been murdered before the war had officially started. Ron and Ginny Weasley died in combat during the final moments of the war. Many other classmates and close friends died. The last three months after the light side’s victory had consisted of continuous funerals. Hermione had not known that it was possible for her to be able to grieve so much. Tears flowed from her eyes every single day as she thought about the people she and so many others had lost. Everyone had thought that the world would be a happier place after the Dark Lord’s fall. For Hermione, the world could not be a sadder and lonelier place.

Today, Hermione would be boarding the Hogwarts Express after an entire year. Everyone had taken a year off from school last year because of the war. Since the war was now over, a few students had decided to go back to school to finish their education. Hermione was going back to school so that she could finish her seventh year and get her N.E.W.T.s which she needed in order to become an Unspeakable at the Ministry of Magic.

Hermione started to get dressed in her own room at Grimmauld Place. Since neither of them had a family, she now lived there permanently with Harry. The Weasleys had offered their home to both Harry and Hermione, but they both refused, deciding that it would be too hard to reside in a house where both Ron and Ginny used to live. However, the Weasleys had helped Harry and Hermione turn Grimmauld Place into a charming home. The troll leg umbrella holder, Mrs. Black’s portrait, and anything else that had even a hint of darkness in it were disposed of.

Once Hermione finished dressing and made sure she had packed everything she needed for the following year, she headed downstairs to the kitchen. She started making breakfast for both Harry and herself.

“Morning, Hermione,” Harry said as he walked into the kitchen and took a seat.

“All ready, Harry?”

“Yup, everything packed and checked twice.” Hermione smiled at Harry’s reply; he knew her so well.

“Well, good then. Now eat up; we have to leave in twenty minutes.”

Once Harry and Hermione Apparated onto Platform 9 ¾, they quickly boarded the train and looked for empty carriages. They finally came across one that only had Neville and Luna in it. After a few minutes of dull conversation, Hermione made her way to the prefect carriage. She had been inevitably appointed the position of Head Girl. She did not know who Head Boy was, however, but she had a good idea who it could be.

Hermione opened the sliding door to the special compartment and saw none other than Draco Malfoy seated on the uncharacteristically plush looking couch. She was not surprised.

“Ah, Granger as Head Girl…sure wasn’t expecting that,” he said sarcastically.

“Same goes for you, Malfoy,” she replied.

Hermione took her seat opposite Draco on a red velvet armchair. The compartment was enlarged to at least five times its normal size and was furnished impeccably. She looked at Draco for a moment. He had not changed much from the last time she’d seen him. He was wearing a black button front shirt with a pair of black slacks. His hair hung loosely around his head and fell softly over his eyes, which were their usual gray in colour. The only physical difference in Draco Malfoy was that his face was not bleeding from various hexes as it was the last time Hermione Granger had seen him. Draco had in fact become a spy for the Order and had fought against Voldemort and the Death Eaters in the final battle. No one knew what had become of Draco after the war.

“No, Granger, I’m not a ghost,” Draco said after he noticed Hermione intently staring at him.

Hermione laughed lightly. “It’s just that no one knew what became of you. I’m just glad to see you’re alive and well.” Hermione didn’t feel the need to be hostile against Draco since he was no longer on the Dark side and because he had been a huge benefit to the Order.

Draco seemed slightly surprised by Hermione’s good natured answer. “Careful, you sound like you almost care.” He smiled slightly.

Hermione just looked back at Draco and didn’t reply. There was nothing more to say. Even though Draco did not have the same aversion to Muggle-borns that he did in the past, conversation was still not the most natural thing between the two of them. Hermione decided to take out her Arithmancy textbook and reread one of the chapters.
Draco took this opportunity to carefully inspect her. Hermione Granger had definitely grown into her looks. The days of her unruly, bushy hair were gone, only to be replaced by beautiful chocolate colored waves. Once the hair fell into place, it was easy to see that she really did have a pretty face. Her eyes were soulful and her lips were pouty. Hermione’s body had developed to that of a slim young woman. Draco thought her plain white t-shirt and boring blue jeans didn’t do her beauty justice. But then again, who was he to tell Hermione Granger of all people how she should dress?

Hermione noticed Draco looking her up and down and decided to say, “You could just ask whatever you’re curious about instead of just staring, Malfoy.”

Draco snapped out of his trance and looked at Hermione. “You’ve changed,” he said with a smirk.

“What exactly are you implying by that?”

“Physically, Granger. Do I have to spell it out for you?” replied Draco.

“And I actually half thought that you had changed.” Hermione spoke these words with a calm disbelief in her voice. She then got out of the chair and went to sit on the couch which was all the way at the other end of the compartment so that she would not have to endure Draco Malfoy anymore.

The rest of the trip to Hogwarts was relatively dull. After they called the prefects’ meeting, Hermione kept reading her textbook and Draco just sat on his couch and stared at the contents of his open trunk. Hermione did not know what he kept staring at, but surely enough, that’s all he did throughout the entire journey. Hermione and Draco changed into their robes in the attached bathrooms that came with the compartment and got off the train when they reached Hogwarts. Hermione was glad that she wouldn’t have to endure Draco’s uncomfortable company any longer. She hurriedly went off in search of her friends, leaving Draco behind. Unfortunately, it turned out that Harry and the others had already left, so Hermione was forced to share a carriage ride to the castle with Draco. After a few moments of awkward silence, Hermione decided to break it.

“Malfoy?”

“Yes?”

“Why did you come back here?”

“Why do you care?” Draco rudely answered Hermione’s question with a question.

Hermione could not wait for the thestrals to stop.

They finally arrived at the entrance hall, and Hermione quickly joined Harry and the others at the Gryffindor table.

“How bad was it?” Harry asked with a hint of laughter.

“Dobby will never be Winky,” was Hermione’s odd answer. Harry gave her a quizzical look.

“Apart from the Mudblood thing, he hasn’t changed a bit. Well, he didn’t insult me every second chance he got, but he’s still far from pleasant,” Hermione explained.

Just as Hermione finished her sentence, the Sorting Hat had sorted the unusually large number of students into the various houses. Professor McGonagall stood up from her seat and gave the annual beginning-of-term speech. Once she finished and the food appeared on the table, all that could be seen in the spacious Great Hall was hundreds of students stuffing their faces with delicious food. Once the feast was over, everyone headed to their dorms and the Head Boy and Girl were taken to their special dorm.

Professor McGonagall showed Draco and Hermione over to their own private quarters in a part of the school Hermione had never been in. The entrance to their dorm was a portrait of the Hogwarts crest and their password was ‘tout la monde’. Professor McGonagall showed them their colossal common room. It was a beautiful room with a fireplace against one wall that had portraits of all the former head boys and girls. The room was painted neutral beige with gold and silver trims in order to symbolize Slytherin and Gryffindor. There were several green and red velvet armchairs along with a green velvet couch that faced a red one right in front of the fireplace. An intricately designed coffee table was between the two couches. To the other side of the common room was a set of stairs. On each side of the stairs were two doors, one each for the Head Boy and Girl. Their rooms were connected to an attached bathroom.

Just as Professor McGonagall was about to leave, she pointed to the classic dining table that was at the corner of the common room. She explained that all they would have to do in order to get food in their rooms is speak into the table and ask for whatever they wanted. The food would appear right in front of them. It was the same concept that had been used for the Yule Ball. Upon hearing this, Hermione protested.

“Professor, why should house-elves have to wait on us day and night when Malfoy and I are perfectly capable of making our own food?” Draco shot Hermione a glare as she said this.

“Miss Granger, this is just one of the many privileges that you and Mr. Malfoy now have because of your positions. However, if you would prefer, I could transform the table into an entire kitchen where you would be able to cook your own food,” Professor McGonagall said.

Draco finally decided to have his say. “I don’t mean to interrupt, Professor, but I believe I have a right to this room as much as Miss Granger does. Having said that, I would like for the table to remain as it is.”

“Very well, I’ll leave it to you two to decide what happens with the table. But before I leave, let me tell you that there are many hidden characteristics in this room that you are encouraged to explore.” Finished, Professor McGonagall turned to leave.

Hermione walked into her room as soon as McGonagall left. She could not believe her eyes. The walls were painted a light pink with a golden trim. Against one wall, there was a magnificent king sized four poster bed in the centre of the room. On both sides of the bed were two floor length windows that lead to a beautiful balcony. On the wall, there was a large dresser and chest of drawers. To Hermione’s great surprise, she even had a walk in closet (she thought only Muggles cared for such features). The other wall was lined with built-in shelves and had a gigantic desk in the centre.

After taking a few moments to marvel at the beauty of her new bedroom, Hermione finally noticed a door beside one of the windows. She was pretty sure it was the bathroom. She opened the door, walked in, and was met with the sight of Draco Malfoy sitting in their pool sized tub, taking a bubble bath. Hermione immediately started to flush, but Draco seemed completely unfazed. All he said was, “It’s called knocking, Granger.”

“S-s-sorry,” Hermione stammered as she quickly shut the door. She was so embarrassed. Hermione didn’t dwell on it for too long though because she was too exhausted from the day’s events. She decided to undress; putting on a black tank top and black boy shorts, and lazily fell into her amazing bed. That night, for the first time in three months, Hermione Granger slept for an entire 8 hours without even a hint of a nightmare.
Chapter 2: Composure and Crying by MidnightJewel
Author's Notes:
I’d love it if you left a review.

Disclaimer: J.K Rowling owns everything and I do not.

The next morning, Hermione woke up from a wonderful night of sleep. She looked at her watch which indicated that it was 7:07 AM. She walked over to the bathroom door and remembered to knock this time. She didn’t want last night’s event to occur again. When there was no answer, Hermione walked into the bathroom and locked both doors. It was a beautiful bathroom. The toilet was in one corner and two sinks on a marble counter were lined against an entire wall with a mirror over the counter. A small glass standing shower stood in the other corner. In the centre of the bathroom was the enormous bathtub that Hermione had seen Draco Malfoy in last night. She could not wait to use it, but for the time being, she decided to take a shower instead.

Once Hermione finished getting dressed for her first day of school, she decided to head down to the Great Hall and join Harry for breakfast. By the time Hermione arrived, it was only 7:45 AM. Since classes started at 9 AM, most of the students were still in their rooms either getting dressed or still sleeping. Hermione was not surprised to see that the hall was almost empty. There were only three other people in the hall: a sixth year Ravenclaw student that Hermione did not recognize, Blaise Zabini and Draco Malfoy, who were both sitting at the Slytherin table. Hermione was quite surprised to see Malfoy of all people to be up this early. She had always imagined him to be the type to get up at the last minute and rush to his classes. Although Hermione did not realize it, she was staring at Malfoy who just happened to look up right that moment and see her gazing at him. Hermione snapped out of her gaze and decided she might as well continue reading her Arithmancy textbook since she only had one chapter to finish from yesterday.

Half an hour later, the hall began to fill up as more and more students came in for their first day back at school. Hermione greeted many of her past classmates who had also decided to return to Hogwarts. Not long afterwards, Harry arrived at the table looking as if he had not slept at all the night before.

“Good morning to you too, sleepy head. Didn’t you get any sleep last night?” Hermione said to Harry as he took his seat at the table, yawning.

“Not a lot. Neville and I stayed up talking until about four in the morning,” Harry answered.

Hermione gave Harry a knowing look. She knew that Harry and Neville had no doubt stayed up discussing Ginny. It was known all around the school that Neville had fancied her and that Harry and Ginny had been an official couple.

“So when am I going to get a tour of your new dorm?” Harry asked eagerly.

“I’m not exactly sure if I’m allowed to let you see it,” Hermione slowly responded. Upon seeing Harry’s disappointed look, however, she decided to say, “But then again, I am Head Girl and the least I can do is show you my room.”

“Thanks, Hermione,” Harry grinned.

Just as Hermione had given her consent, Professor McGonnagall handed Harry and Hermione their schedules.

“No problem. What’s your schedule like?”

“Transfiguration, then Potions, a spare period, and finally Defense Against the Dark Arts,” Harry said as he read his schedule.

“Yeah, I have the same, except that I have Arithmancy while you have a spare. How about I show you my dorm after Defense Against the Dark Arts?” Hermione asked. Harry nodded in agreement.

When Harry and Hermione had finished eating their hearty breakfast, they headed to the Transfiguration classroom. Once they arrived there, they noticed that there were more desks and chairs than usual. The classroom was only half full which allowed Harry and Hermione to take their seats in the front of the classroom. A few minutes later, the entire classroom had filled up and it turned out that the reason for the extra desks and tables appeared to be the fact that every single 7th year student who was taking Transfiguration was in the classroom.

As soon as the bell rang, an unfamiliar man walked into the classroom. Hermione assumed he was the new Transfiguration teacher because not only was he not wearing a uniform, but also because he was too old to be a student.

“Good morning, students. My name is Professor Guildwood and I will be your Transfiguration professor for this year. Please put away your wands and take out your quills and parchment as we will start off by taking notes today,” Professor Guildwood instructed.

The class silently did as they were told.

“This year, as you can see, there are going to be more students in the class. Since there weren’t enough students for two classes, we decided to put all the seventh years into one big class. Now, I know there is some rivalry between the different houses, like there always has been, but this year we are going to work hard to overcome that rivalry as much as possible.” He said this in a very cheerful yet serious voice. There was an uneasy silence in the class room because the students were all hoping that their new professor was not going to suggest what they were thinking he was going to suggest.

“I have decided to make a seating plan. Everyone is going to be sitting with someone from a different house because as I can see right now, if it were up to you, you would rather sit with your classmates from your own house.” Professor Guildwood waved his wand on the chalk board and a top view of the classroom started drawing itself on the board, the names of the students printing themselves on the seating chart.

He continued to say, “This will be your seat for the rest of the year. Do not even consider complaining; I am not going to change my mind because of anything you say.”

Once he noticed that the class had still remained motionless he said, “What are you waiting for? Please find your new seats. Thank you.”

After he said this, a murmur broke out throughout the students. They could not believe that they were being put through this in their seventh year. They could not believe that they may have to share desks with people they weren’t very fond of and that this would definitely affect their grades.

Hermione looked up at the board and saw her name printed on the right seat of the desk right in front of the teacher’s desk. She was not surprised to see that she had been assigned the exact desk that she was currently sitting at and was even less surprised when she saw who her seat mate would be for the rest of the year. She turned around to see none other than the Head Boy making his way over to her desk.

“Well then, now that we’re all settled, could I have my Head Boy and Girl stand up please?” Professor Guildwood requested.

Hermione reluctantly rose from her seat. Although she took pride in her position, she did not like the awkward attention it caused her to receive right at that moment. She glanced over at Draco who stood up in his seat without any hesitation and stood there in front of the entire class without any sign of embarrassment or any other sort of emotion. He just had a blank expression on his face. Hermione could not help but admire his ability to be composed at all times.

“These two are the students who will be setting the example of what to do in my class this year. If I am out of the classroom, you are instructed to turn to Miss Hermione Granger or Mr. Draco Malfoy for any sort of assistance. Are there any questions?” Professor Guildwood asked. The class was eerily silent again and Hermione could not help but blush at what the Professor had just said.

“Good then. Heads, I need you two to do a demonstration for the class,” the professor instructed.

After many chantings of various spells, the class had finally finished and Hermione could not be happier to get away. She had always wanted to be Head Girl, but that kind of attention was uncalled for. She hated the way all eyes were on her throughout the entire time she and Malfoy were performing various transfiguration spells. What she hated even more was the fact that she knew she was turning tomato red while Malfoy could not look any more confident and relaxed.

“If you had turned any redder, you’d have been rivaling Weasley,” Draco said to Hermione as they were leaving the classroom.

Hermione spun around. “How dare you talk about him like that? Is that all you can do, Malfoy? Insult people? Well, if that’s so, keep it to living people. The deceased don’t deserve to put up with your immaturity any more than they already had!” Hermione angrily hissed at Malfoy.

Malfoy saw the look in her eyes and knew he had gone too far. He tried so hard to change, but sometimes he just couldn’t help himself. Now that he thought about it, he knew he had been wrong to talk about Ron like that. The Weasley had died during the war after all, and every one knew that there had been something going on between him and Granger. Malfoy almost considered apologizing to Hermione, but seeing as she was no where to be seen, he decided to ignore it and walked to Potions.

Hermione could not believe that Malfoy had the nerve to talk about Ron in that way. After everything Ron had done during the war, he did not deserve to be mentioned in that ungrateful way. Also, no one had mentioned Ron around Hermione for the past month and for him to be remembered this way only brought back the harsh truth about him. Ron was dead, Hermione told herself. He was dead and he was never coming back and she knew it. Why was it so hard to get used to? Yes, Malfoy shouldn’t have talked about him like that, but she shouldn’t have let him get to her. Even though Hermione hated Malfoy for being so heartless, she hated herself for being so weak.

“Hermione! Wait up!” Harry yelled down the hall as he tried to catch up with her. “Hermione, what’s wrong?” Harry said as he noticed Hermione’s eyes were looking rather red.

“Nothing, Harry. I’m fine, really.”

“Malfoy said something didn’t he? I saw him talking to you,” Harry informed.

“It doesn’t matter, Harry. He’s just an ungrateful prat and he always will be. I shouldn’t have let him get to me.”

“Will you please tell me what happened? It’s not like you to break down this easily, especially over something Malfoy said,” Harry explained.

Hermione told Harry exactly what Malfoy had said. Harry’s reaction was anger at first, but then he turned to comfort his best friend. He knew how much it had hurt her that Ron had died during the war. Everyone had thought that Hermione and Ron would get married after the war, but ever since that very unfortunate event, people wondered if Hermione would ever be able to get past her grief. Harry hugged the sobbing Hermione as she cried into his shoulder. Her tears had leaked through his robes and he could now feel it on his skin. He could not express the amount of sadness he felt for Hermione and his deceased best friend. Once Hermione’s sobs slowly calmed down, they made their way to Potions, glad that Professor Merrybone, the new Potions professor, did not require the Head Boy and Girl to sit together.
Chapter 3: It’s a First by MidnightJewel
Author's Notes:
I would appreciate it if you left a review; it makes writing worthwhile.
Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling is the owner of Harry Potter and everything within that universe.











Hermione could not have been happier when Defense Against the Dark Arts ended. It had been a long day and she could not wait to get a head start on the enormous pile of homework that she had already been assigned. As Harry and Hermione walked out of the classroom, Hermione led Harry down the hallway in the direction of her dorm. Once she got to the entrance, she whispered the password to let Harry inside. Harry’s mouth fell wide open as soon as he walked in.



“Hermione…this is absolutely brilliant!” Harry exclaimed.



“I have to admit, I am rather glad I made Head Girl.”



“You say it like you weren’t expecting it. Come on, Hermione, you’ve been preparing for it since the day you got here and everyone knew you’d become Head Girl. I just wish I’d known that this would be the reward. I probably would have worked a little harder for my grades,” Harry joked.



Hermione was about to reply when Draco Malfoy walked down the stairs. He had heard Harry’s giddiness upon seeing the Head dorm and had a very hard time stopping himself from insulting Harry. Instead, he chose a more civil approach considering the fact that he had been very cruel to Hermione only that morning.



“Are you sure we’re even allowed to let others into the room, Granger?” Draco asked with his usual hint of arrogance.



“It’s not a rule that concerns you, Malfoy. It’s not like you’d care to show it to anyone; you’d need friends for that in the first place,” was Hermione’s cunning remark.



Draco did not reply and decided to go sit at the dining table instead. He ordered himself a plate of roast beef and mashed potatoes. Harry, who had been watching, looked up at Hermione questioningly.



“It’s like the Yule Ball, you just talk into the table and the house-elves send it up.” Hermione replied. “Let me show you my room,” she said as she walked Harry up the stairs and into her own personal quarters.



“This is marvelous, Hermione. You completely deserve this.” Harry smiled at Hermione and hugged his best friend.



After fifteen minutes of conversation, Harry decided to leave because Malfoy kept clearing his throat in the loudest way possible. Once Harry left, Hermione stormed out of her room and over to the dining table where Draco was now treating himself to chocolate éclairs and treacle tart.



“What is your problem, Malfoy? Is it your personal mission to annoy me as much as you possibly can?” Hermione fumed at him.



“I have no idea what you are talking about. Can’t a man eat his meal in peace?” Draco replied calmly.



“No, Malfoy. Peace doesn’t require you to clear your throat as loudly as Professor Umbridge.” Draco’s calm attitude only made Hermione angrier.



“Why are you getting so flustered, Granger? Angry that I interrupted your snog session with Potter?” Malfoy sneered.



“Harry and I are just friends. Normal people don’t just go around snogging their friends. Of course you wouldn’t know that since you don’t have any friends of your own in the first place,” Hermione retorted and started walking back to her room.



“Granger, wait,” Draco called after her.



“What? Have you come up with a decent retort for once? Or is it the usual rehearsed lines that you preach?” Hermione bitterly said as she spun around to face him.



“For once in your life Granger, you’re wrong,” Draco said quietly. “I didn’t call you to insult you. I…I want to say something else to you.”



Hermione did not see where Draco was taking this. She just stood there with one eyebrow arched and looked at Malfoy.



“I wanted to apologize to you…for what I said after Transfiguration today…and for what I just did now. I was wrong; I shouldn’t have said those things. I-I’m sorry.” The room was completely silent after Draco said those last few words.



It took a few seconds for Hermione to realize that Draco Malfoy had just properly apologized to her. She really didn’t know what to say. She knew that Draco Malfoy was an insufferable, arrogant git and she had never in a hundred years thought that he would ever apologize to her.



“Did you just apologize to me?” was all Hermione could say.



“Umm, yeah. I think I just did,” said Draco as if he could not believe he had just done that.



“Okay then. I forgive you.” It was more a question then a statement when it came out of Hermione’s mouth.



“Ahh, thanks?” Draco said rather unsurely.



“Don’t worry, there’s a first time for everything,” Hermione candidly replied.



“I’ve never apologized to anyone before, so this is kind of weird. I must be acting like a complete idiot right now,” said Draco honestly.



“Not really. You just lost your usual smug and proud attitude,” smiled Hermione.



“Yeah, well, don’t get used to it. I don’t want people to think that I’m a House traitor, too now. I have to keep up my Slytherin image, you know?” Draco jokingly replied back.



“I know. First you join the Order and next thing you know, you turn into an apologizing Gryffindor,” Hermione answered.



“Hey, it was just one apology. Just because I decided to do you the courtesy of being civil for once doesn’t mean we’re best friends. You Gryffindors, constantly looking for excuses to make friends,” Draco replied harshly. Hermione’s last sentence had knocked him out of his trance. What had he been thinking? Draco could not believe he had let his guard down around Granger of all people. He could not believe that she had the nerve to bring up the Order just because he had been candid with her for a few moments. Draco got out of his chair, glared at Hermione and stormed out of the common room and into his room.



Hermione stood rooted to her spot. What just happened? she thought to herself.



First, Draco apologized and then the moment Hermione thought that he really wasn’t that bad, his evil personality surfaced again. So maybe she shouldn’t have talked about the Order, but it had just slipped out of her mouth before she could stop herself. And besides, Malfoy had no right to talk to her like that just because she had mentioned the Order.



I was right from the beginning; he really can’t change, she thought to herself as she sat down at the table and heard her stomach grumble.



Hermione half considered going down to the Great Hall to grab something to eat, but decided against it. She was Head Girl after all and may as well use the privileges she had been given. After all, she had worked very hard to get here, so why not enjoy herself? She whispered, ”Pasta and meatballs” into the table and the food appeared instantly. Hermione felt guilty for a few seconds because some poor house elf had cooked her food, but once the delicious smell drifted into her nostrils, she could not restrain herself any longer. She dug into her delicious meal and was actually glad she had not asked Professor McGonagall to replace the table with a kitchen after all.





Chapter 4: Conversations by MidnightJewel
Author's Notes:
Please leave a review.
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.




Spells were flying in every direction around Hermione. The starless night sky created a stark contrast against the vibrant lights the spells would cast. Harsh voices were screaming for as far as Hermione’s ears could hear and curses were being thrown at Hermione herself. If she ceased to concentrate for even a second, it could cost her her life. She was desperately trying to block the curse that was being sent at her while she ran deeper and deeper into the forbidden forest. She kept tripping over the roots of several trees, but every time she fell, she was determined to get back up and keep dueling. He was catching up to her and this only made Hermione run faster. My life depends on it, Hermione thought to herself. Suddenly, Hermione’s knees collided with a boulder and she fell crashing to the ground. Her wand went flying in the air and landed 5 feet away from her. She was sure she had broken her leg from the impact of the crash. She was terrified at had just happened and what was going to happen. Is this the end? she asked herself. Right then, she heard footsteps nearing towards. Her heart jumped into her throat and without thinking she stood up on her feet.

“AHHHHH HHHHHHH!” she screamed in agony as she attempted to walk on her broken leg. She fell face down on the ground and right then, she knew that he was standing right behind her. She slowly turned around to confront her worst fear only to be confirmed that she was right. He stood there menacingly, his height towering over her quivering body. His sinister face twisted into a cruel smile once.

“Crucio!” he cried as he pointed his wand in Hermione’s direction.

Hermione woke up with a start. It had been the first time she had had a nightmare since she started attending Hogwarts again. Hermione lay in her bed for a few minutes. She tried to go back to sleep again but when she realized she couldn’t, she decided to go downstairs to the common room. Once she got there, she noticed Malfoy staring into the blazing fireplace while leaning on the mantle. Hermione decided to ignore him and went to sit at the dining table.

“Hot cocoa,” she said to the table.

“Bloody hell!” Malfoy yelled. He had literally jumped in his spot when he had heard Hermione speak. He had not seen Hermione enter the room, so he got startled when he heard her speak.

“I didn’t mean to startle you.” With that, Hermione took her cup of hot cocoa and started to walk back to her room without another word.

Malfoy wanted to ask Hermione to stay, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. He just didn’t have the courage to be nice again. He kept battling with himself whether he should say something or not until he heard Hermione’s door shut. It looked like Malfoy was alone to bask in his misery.

It had been a week since the apology incident, and she had done her best to have the least amount of contact with Malfoy as possible. She was intent on not being the one to initiate conversation with him ever since she had been candid with him that day. Hermione didn’t want to put up with Malfoy’s unexplained mood swings so she decided that not talking to him at all was the best alternative.

She sat down in her winged armchair and picked up her Herbology text book. They had been given an assignment which was due two weeks from now; Hermione decided she would start on it early. However, the more Hermione tried to read the book, the more she couldn’t concentrate. Her mind was just too weak after her nightmare. Hermione hated her nightmares and wondered how long she would have to live with this torture. It was the same dream over and over again. She would always relive the night of the war, which was also the most unpleasant, depressing, and morbid night of her life.

Hermione decided to give sleep another try. She got into bed and closed her eyes. As she tried to fall asleep, Hermione began to wonder what Malfoy had been doing up so late. Now that she thought about it, he had looked depressed. But then again, Hermione thought, who am I to judge how Malfoy feels? She hardly knew him and for all she knew, no one knew him. Hermione may have really disliked him, but she knew that Malfoy was exceptional at hiding his feelings. As Hermione’s thoughts stayed on Malfoy, she slowly drifted off to sleep.


“Morning, Hermione,” Harry said as he took his seat at the Gryffindor table.

“Morning, Harry,” Hermione said without looking up. She was making a list of all the books she would have to sign out from the library that evening for the Herbology project.

Harry looked over to see what Hermione was writing. “Seriously Hermione, we still have two weeks until that assignment’s due. Ever consider taking a break for once?”

“Of course I have. I’ll take a break after I finish this.” Hermione finally looked up and smiled at Harry. He would never understand that Hermione just didn’t feel free until she knew she had finished all the homework she could have possibly done. She felt rather guilty if she left something, even if there was two weeks left to complete it.

“What do we have first today?”

“Potions. Finish up your breakfast; we only have 15 minutes until class starts,” Hermione said as she started packing her quill and list into her book bag.

Once Harry finished his breakfast, they headed to the dungeons. Once everyone else filed into the classroom, Professor Merrybone came in. She flicked her wand at the chalkboard and words started to write themselves.

“Today I will be assigning you a new project. This assignment is a very important part of your N.E.W.T. Potions class and it will be affecting your marks, so it is in your own best interest to pay attention. You will be given a specific type of poison. Your job is to identify the potion and the ingredients used to brew it. Also, you will have to determine the effects it will have on a human being, a toad, a rat, and a cat. Finally, you will have to create the antidote to the potion and submit it to me on the due date. You will have exactly three months to work on this assignment and it is to be done on your own time. No, you may not choose who you will be doing this assignment with as I have already chosen for you.”

The class groaned in unison upon hearing their teacher say this. “You may use this class as an organization period to set up times for when you will be meeting with your partner to work on the assignment and what not. You and your partner’s names are written beside each other on the board. Please move to a seat beside your partner. Thank you.”

After Professor Merrybone finished her explanation, the class reluctantly did as they were told and sat beside their assigned partners. Hermione hoped against hope that her partner would not be the Head Boy, but once she looked up at the board her nightmare was confirmed.

“I’m sorry, Hermione,” said Harry, putting his hand on her shoulder as he knew who Hermione’s partner would be as well.

“It’s quite all right, Harry. Besides, it’s hardly your fault.” She gave him a weak smile.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t fair much better either.” He pointed to the board where his name was printed beside Blaise Zabini. “What is it with teachers constantly pairing Gryffindors with Slytherins? We won’t get along; why can’t they just give us a break and pair us with Hufflepuffs?”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Hermione replied.

“Mr. Potter, would you mind going to your seat, please?” Professor Merrybone said as the walked over to where Harry was seated.

Harry gave Hermione a gloomy look and reluctantly walked over to Zabini’s desk. Hermione looked around the class for her own partner who was no where to be seen. Hermione wondered where Malfoy could be, and if it had anything to do with what he had been doing last night.

After a half hour of partners collaborating with each other, Hermione decided she had had enough. She got up to go ask Professor Merrybone if she could leave the class and go to the library so she could do some of her own research, since Malfoy was nowhere to be seen. Right that moment, Draco Malfoy burst in through the dungeon doors. Everyone turned to look at Malfoy, who looked completely disheveled. His hair was a mess and his tie was askew. He also looked exhausted, but nevertheless, he strode over to the Professor’s desk with every ounce of his usual grace.

“I’m terribly sorry for being late, Professor. I must have overslept this morning,” Malfoy said as composedly as it is possible to do when one has no breath left from running to class.

“Don’t apologize to me, Mr. Malfoy. It’s Miss Granger’s time that you have wasted with your late arrival. I suggest you direct your apology to her,” Professor Merrybone said.

There was an awkward pause before Malfoy said, “I am sorry, Granger.”

“Miss Granger, if you could explain the assignment to Mr. Malfoy?” asked Professor Merrybone upon hearing Malfoy apologize to Hermione.

“Of course, Professor,” Hermione replied.

Malfoy looked around the class and didn’t know what was going on. Potter was sitting at his desk and the entire class was mixed up. He looked at the board and saw the names. Then he realized that he was supposed to go sit beside Granger. Hermione started to explain the assignment to him without once looking up at him. Malfoy was getting irritated with Hermione’s constant effort to distance herself from him.

“…once we figure out what the effects of the poison are on a human being, rat, cat, and toad, we have to find the antidote that””

“Honestly, Granger, don’t you know it’s rude to look elsewhere when you’re talking to someone?” Malfoy interrupted Hermione.

“The same could be said for you, Malfoy. Don’t you know it’s rude to just snap at someone when they’re trying to be nice?” Hermione glared at him.

“It’s not my fault that you were acting like we’re best friends! I say sorry to you once and you act like I’m the nicest person in the world!” Malfoy retorted.

“You couldn’t be further from being the nicest person in the world! When someone’s nice to you, you don’t even give them the courtesy of being civil towards them!” Hermione was getting very worked up.

“Maybe because they don’t deserve my civility!” Malfoy yelled. At this point, the entire class had stopped what they were doing and were watching Hermione and Malfoy’s row. Harry could not believe that he was watching Hermione yell in the middle of class. Professor Merrybone had gone to her office to get some more supplies.

“If you’re not going to be nice then why bother apologizing in the first place?!” Hermione shouted.

“Because I actually felt bad for once, all right?! I know I shouldn’t have said that about Weasley, and I know I shouldn’t have snapped at you.” The last sentence came out of Malfoy’s mouth considerably more quietly than the others.

The room was completely silent. Every single student was staring at Hermione and Malfoy. Their faces were both red and they were standing face to face. Hermione and Malfoy stood rooted to their spots. The bell rang a second later, and everyone except for Harry, Malfoy and Hermione slowly started leaving the classroom for their next class. Professor Merrybone walked into the classroom only moments later.

“Granger, Malfoy, Potter? What are you three still doing in here? You’re going to be late for your next class if you don’t hurry up.”

“Sorry, Professor, I was just about to leave.” Hermione was the first one to move and she hurriedly began to stuff her textbook and parchment into her cauldron. She stormed out of the classroom and bolted towards the greenhouses. Malfoy watched her as she left the classroom. Harry gave Malfoy a searching look before he left the classroom to follow Hermione.

Once Harry and Hermione had reached Greenhouse Four and had been given their assignments for the day, Harry decided to ask Hermione what the whole argument with Malfoy had been about.

“Hermione, what happened with you and Malfoy back in potions?” Harry asked concernedly.

“Oh, Harry, you know Malfoy. He’s such a worthless, arrogant, selfish, confusing, git!” Hermione stabbed the maggots that were in her flowering pot every time she paused.

“What did he do to you, Hermione? I swear, if he did anything to hurt you, I”” Harry began but was cut off by Hermione.

“You will do nothing of the sort, Harry James Potter. Besides, he didn’t do anything in the first place.”

“Come on, this is Malfoy we’re talking about. I don’t care if he joined Dumbledore’s side in the end. He’s always up to no good, Hermione, and from the looks of it, he must have done something in order to get you to yell in the middle of class for everyone to see,” Harry explained.

“That was more his loss anyways. He’s the one who’s known for his grace, and constantly composed nature. Not me,” Hermione said with slight happiness. It was a rare sight to see Malfoy lose his cool. This meant that she had actually gotten to him.

“Why are you smiling?” Harry asked confusedly.

“Just that I can actually get a rise out of Malfoy.”

“He does the same for you, Hermione. You both just lost it today. Now will you please tell me what you two were talking about?” Harry pleaded as he buried a bright green colored slimy creature with inch long fangs in the pot.

Hermione told Harry that Malfoy had apologized to her and how they had had a few candid moments until Malfoy decided to become himself again.

“But Hermione, that means that…that…Malfoy actually has feelings!” Harry could hardly believe what he was saying.

Hermione gave a dry laugh. “I’d rather him be a stone than have feelings like that. I mean, honestly, what is the point of apologizing to me, then being rude, and then confessing that he actually did feel bad for doing that? Seriously? He makes no sense, Harry. Now that I think about it, I’m starting to pity him actually. He’s such a confused, spoiled brat.” Hermione poked some twigs into her pot on top of the buried green creatures and started to hammer the twigs into the pot using a spell.

“I don’t think he even deserves your pity, but he most certainly is a brat,” replied Harry as he copied what Hermione was doing.

After Herbology ended, Hermione headed over to the Ancient Runes classroom as Harry went to the Gryffindor common room during his spare period. Hermione wasn’t looking forward to her next class at all because she knew Malfoy would be there. She thought about what he had said on her way to the classroom. He had admitted that he actually apologized to her because he felt bad and that he also felt bad for being rude to her afterwards. Hermione didn’t know what to think because Malfoy was impossible to analyze.

Hermione took her usual seat in the empty classroom. She took out her textbook, quills, ink and parchment and neatly prepared her desk for the class. She heard footsteps coming into the class and thought it was the professor. She looked up to greet the professor only to see Draco Malfoy walking determinedly towards her. Hermione quickly looked down at her desk and began to write the date on a piece of parchment.

“Granger, may I speak with you for a moment?” Malfoy asked rather politely.

“Well, if you plan on creating yet another scene later on the in the class, then yes, please proceed before anybody else comes in,” Hermione said, making sure she looked into Malfoy’s eyes as she said this.

Malfoy looked away. It felt odd to have someone look at him directly in the eye. “I want to apologize,” he said very quietly.

“You’re getting used to this whole apologizing thing, aren’t you? You’ve already done it three times today,” Hermione smugly replied.

“Well, if you’re going to be sarcastic, then I shouldn’t even bother.” Malfoy made to walk away.

“I wasn’t being sarcastic, just merely stating the truth. I think arguing makes you forget your definitions.” Malfoy spun around to give Hermione a piercing look.

“So tell me, Granger. Do you always try to take advantage of other people’s vulnerability?” Malfoy asked cunningly.

“That sounds more like what I would say to you, Malfoy. I’m just giving you a taste of your own medicine, that’s all. Do you understand how it feels now, Draco Malfoy? You try to be nice to someone and all they can do is throw it in your face. It’s not a very pleasant feeling is it? Well, I put up with six years of it from you, Malfoy. Six years. A few apologies are not going to change anything.” Hermione was now standing in front of her desk, about two feet away from Malfoy.

“I have clearly misjudged you. I thought you were capable of recognizing one person from another, but I guess that ability only applies for textbooks,” Malfoy said as he seethed.

“What are you trying to imply by that?” Hermione did not like the fact that Malfoy had just insulted her again.

“I have changed, Granger. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.” And with that, Malfoy took his place at his usual seat in the back of the class. Hermione stared at him as he took his seat. He sat down and looked right back at her. Hermione slowly turned around only to see that everyone else in the entire classroom was already seated in front of her. For the second time that day, Hermione felt all eyes on her once again. She quickly took her seat and pretended to take notes. She could not believe she had not noticed everyone else coming into the room. The class had been dead silent when she and Malfoy had been talking.

She really needed to put an end to this. She was Head Girl, after all; she had to have a certain amount of composure at least. She couldn’t let people keep catching her in situations like these. But then again, what kind of situations are these? Hermione thought to herself. They had just been talking this time. All right, so it was a more intense version of a regular conversation, but it was still only a conversation. So then why did she feel like people had intruded on something…private?


This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=57923