A Happy Hogwarts Hanukah by Darth Sirius
Summary: Why should Hogwarts celebrate Christmas every year?
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1009 Read: 2400 Published: 10/18/06 Updated: 10/25/06

1. A Happy Hogwarts Hanukah by Darth Sirius

A Happy Hogwarts Hanukah by Darth Sirius
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all his accompanying everythings are the creation and property of J.K. Rowling. All schedule changes, olive oils, and Easy Buttons are the creation and property of...somebody.
Albus Dumbledore looked thoughtfully at the letter in his hands. This was a very interesting idea that the writer had proposed. It had never been done before, but he saw no reason why not…Albus Dumbledore made his decision.

The student population of Hogwarts rushed into the Great Hall for lunch, all chattering loudly. The main topic for discussion: Christmas.

“Well, I won’t be getting anything from the Dursleys, that’s for sure,” remarked Harry Potter as he sat down.

“You never know, mate,” Ron Weasley contradicted. He helped himself to a large serving of stew. “They’ve sent you stuff in other years, right?”

“Yeah, toothpicks. Look, I’m definitely not going back to Privet Drive over the holiday.”

Just then Hermione Granger swung herself down next to them, almost breaking Harry’s nose when she swung her enormous schoolbag into his face.

“Hey, ‘Mione,” Harry said, eyes streaming.

“Hi,” she said briskly. “Look, seeing as you’ll probably be staying at Hogwarts over the holiday, you can go to the library-“

“NO,” Harry said firmly. “This is my vacation, and I’m not gonna waste it.”

Ron nodded enthusiastically. “He’s right. You can spend the entire time looking through stacks of musty, dusty old books, but I’m taking the time to relax. Besides, there’ll be presents!”

“Attention!” Dumbledore’s voice reverberated through the room.

Everybody fell silent.

“There is going to be a change this year. I have received a letter with a request that I find very logical. I see no reason why, this year, we should not celebrate…Hanukah!

Jaws dropped.

“Really, it’s very logical.” Hermione was the first to break the silence. “I mean, I have some Jewish friends, and from what I hear Hanukah is really quite fun!”

“Fun?” Ron stared at Hermione in shock. “Hermione, think of the food! The presents!”

She shrugged. “Why not? There are good Hanukah foods. And there is a custom to give out presents. Besides, Christmas is just for one day. Hanukah lastseight. Eight days, Ron. Eight days of food.”

He nodded slowly. “You’ve got a point there…”


A week later…

Harry surveyed the Great Hall, looking impressed. Although the usual decorations were absent, the Hall looked no less grand. In place of the dozen Christmas trees, there were twelve enormous silver menorahs. The walls boasted blue and white hangings, and the tables were loaded with trays of food.

Also, he noted, there were still the crackers. Harry glanced toward the front
of the room and was amused to see Dumbledore wearing a large kippah.

Ron sat down and looked at the unfamiliar foods. “Cool,” he said. He poked at one of the plates. “What are these?”

“Those are latkes,” Hermione informed him. “Potato pancakes. They’re quite good,” she added as she noted the expression on Ron’s face. “Especially with sour cream or applesauce.”

“I’ll take you word for it,” Ron said warily as he took a latke.

“And if you don’t like those, there are always the sufganyot.”

“Say that three times fast?”

“Jelly donuts.”

Ron looked far happier as he took six.

Hermione surveyed him disapprovingly.

Suddenly they heard a loud crash, and screams. Seconds later, the doors of the Great Hall flew open. In rushed a group of wizards, masked and hooded.

Death Eaters.

And at the front, accompanied by his loyal snake stood the most evil wizard of all time.

“I have waited a long time for this day,” Lord Voldemort said into the dead silence as he slowly walked toward the Gryffindor table. “At long last, I shall kill you, Harry Potter. Or…you could join me, and become more powerful than you have ever dreamed!”

“Never!” Harry cried. “You killed my father!”

Voldemort shook his head. “No,” he proclaimed. “I AM YOUR FATHER!”

“NO!” Harry screamed. “That’s impossible!”

Voldemort shook his head again. “Search your feelings, you know it to- wait. You’re right. I’m not your father. But now I will kill you!”

He raised his wand.

“AVADA KEDAAARRRRRGGGGH!”

Lord Voldemort had slipped in a puddle of olive oil left over from lighting the menorahs. As everybody watched, he slid on his belly straight into a wall, broke his neck, and died promptly.

Everybody was at a loss.

Finally, Harry dove into Hermione’s bag and pulled out a large red button. He pressed it.

“That was easy,” the button said.

Everybody seemed to awaken.

The Death Eaters, realizing that their leader was gone, turned to run.

Unfortunately, Nagini the snake was in their way,

The Death Eaters imitated the feat of their defunct master as they flew through the air into a wall.

There was more silence.

Harry pressed the Easy Button again.

“That was easy.”

Now everybody awakened for real.

As a troop of house-elves came to clear away the bodies, Dumbledore rose to speak.

“Many years ago, the Jews experienced a great miracle when the jug of oil that was only supposed to last for one night lasted for eight. Today, we have experienced a miracle of our own. Lord Voldemort has met his end at the hand of spilled oil, the Death Eaters are gone, and there’s plenty of food to go around! A Happy Hogwarts Hanukah to you all!”


Epilogue…

The Wizarding world took a turn for the better after Lord Voldemort’s demise (yes, the Prophet got it all wrong, and the Quibbler said that the Death Eaters had ingested explosive donuts, but what could you expect?).

Ron was thrilled with his presents.

Hermione shocked everybody by showing that she could spin a dreidel upside down.

Draco Malfoy enchanted his dreidel to always land on gimel, and was banned from any future dreidel playing.

Nagini became the official mascot of the Slytherin Quidditch team.

And the Hanukah celebration was so popular that it was unanimously decided to celebrate Passover instead of Easter.

A Happy Hogwarts Hanukah to you al! (Even if you’re reading this in May. And aren’t Jewish.)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=59066