Never Alone by ckwright51
Summary: Dumbledore’s gone and Harry, Ron and Hermione have returned to Privet Drive to start their search for the Horcruxes. Their plan not to return to Hogwarts is changed with the reading of Dumbledore’s will. Harry must discover that his friends are a greater help then he can imagine and how to use the “Power the Dark Lord knows not.” With a little romance, action, mystery and even Quidditch along the way, Harry will find out if he and his friends can defeat the greatest Dark Wizard of the age.



This story was completely written before the release of DH or the Order of the Phoenix movie. Any similarities are entirely coincidental.



All reviews will recieve a response!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 158268 Read: 141589 Published: 10/24/06 Updated: 11/28/07

1. Cupboards and Brothers by ckwright51

2. So Long and Thanks for Nothing by ckwright51

3. Final Thoughts by ckwright51

4. Moving On by ckwright51

5. And It Begins by ckwright51

6. Giant Disruptions by ckwright51

7. Till Death Do Us Part by ckwright51

8. Riddle's Graveyard by ckwright51

9. Revelations by ckwright51

10. Mum, Dad...I'm Home by ckwright51

11. Why Good WIll Defeat Evil by ckwright51

12. Trains, Dementors, and Bighead Boys by ckwright51

13. Dream A Little Dream by ckwright51

14. Life or Something Like It by ckwright51

15. Rumors and Rewards by ckwright51

16. Hufflepuff"s Cup by ckwright51

17. Singulus Substantia by ckwright51

18. It's Quidditch! by ckwright51

19. Home for the Holidays by ckwright51

20. Choices by ckwright51

21. I'll Be Home for Christmas by ckwright51

22. Lancaster by ckwright51

23. Changes by ckwright51

24. Worth It by ckwright51

25. Imperious by ckwright51

26. Krum's Return by ckwright51

27. Truth, Lies, and the Shrieking Shake by ckwright51

28. Consequences by ckwright51

29. Mind Trap by ckwright51

30. Awakening by ckwright51

31. Percy by ckwright51

32. Job Well Done? by ckwright51

33. Skiving Quidditch by ckwright51

34. Back to the Ministry by ckwright51

35. Life and Death by ckwright51

36. A Toast to our Friends by ckwright51

37. Chocolate Frogs by ckwright51

Cupboards and Brothers by ckwright51
Author's Notes:
I am making no money off this. I am only having fun with JKR's imagination.


Harry had no idea what he had just walked into. He’d had a bit of a lie-in that morning, after a terrible night of sleep. His dreams had been punctuated by images of Snape laughing at him, Malfoy sneering at him, and the sound of Professor Dumbledore’s pleas. Around two in the morning, he’d finally resorted to a Dreamless Sleep Potion that Madam Pomfrey had given him. It was now close to noon, and he had been awakened by angry shouts coming from downstairs. He had jumped out of bed and quickly come down to see what was going on. As he’d turned the corner into the hallway beside the stairs, he’d learned what the shouting was all about: Ron had discovered his old cupboard under the stairs.







Ron and Hermione had promised to come and stay with him during the summer. Uncle Vernon had nearly blown the roof off the house when Harry arrived at the front door with two of “those weirdos” in tow, but had given his permission for them to stay for a couple of weeks-- if they promised to stay away from him, his family, the windows, and anything that might give the impression that there was someone in the house other than the very respectable Dursleys and their crazy nephew. They had agreed and resigned themselves to working in Harry’s room as they began their search for the four remaining Horcruxes.









That had been a fortnight ago, and so far things had gone rather smoothly. Hermione was staying with Mrs. Figg at night and coming over around mid-morning during the day. She was able to Floo to Grimmauld Place for needed books and food, since the Dursleys staunchly refused to provide them with anything for their meals. They spent hours in Harry’s rather small bedroom. Avoiding the Dursleys was certainly a better option than attempting to make conversation. Their progress however was slow and by the end of two weeks they were becoming very frustrated.







Harry took in the scene and was absolutely astonished by what he saw. Ron, upon discovering the cupboard under the stairs which had been Harry’s home for almost eleven years, had gone mad. He’d turned a shade of red Harry had never seen before, making his hair seem pale by comparison, and he was shouting some of the coarsest profanity Harry had ever heard-- things he was sure even Sirius would have blushed over, and that most certainly would have had Mrs. Weasley diving for a wand with which to perform a thorough “Scouring Charm” on his mouth.







As Harry watched his friend fire insult after insult at his aunt and uncle, he waited for the inevitable sound of Hermione attempting to scold Ron into silence. He glanced around to see when she would intercede and try to restore order. He was doubtful that anyone could stop Ron at this point, but he knew that if anyone could, it was Hermione.







However, he was shocked to see Hermione, who had just come from behind the door of the old cupboard, looking even redder than Ron. Her eyes bulged as if they were about to explode out of her head, and she had her teeth bared in a snarl.







“How dare you!” she said in a voice that was so icy calm that even Ron stopped shouting and took a step back. This was not the Hermione Harry knew; this was some wild thing that seemed to drip with malice.







“I said, how dare you! How dare you treat another human being like this-- like some animal or slave!” She continued speaking with a calm voice, but it was easy to see the rage in her eyes. She had her wand out and was pointing it at each member of the family in turn. Red sparks were flying from the tip of the wand, causing Dudley to jump every time it was pointed in his direction. “We will be here for a couple more weeks, and if any of you three do a single thing to interfere with the work that Harry, Ron and I have to do, or so much as speak ill of Harry, you will most certainly pay. I am a fully qualified witch, so I can use all the magic I want and don’t you forget it.”





Uncle Vernon was completely at a loss. Ron’s shouting had made him turn a violent purple; shouting was something Vernon Dursley could relate to and handle. He’d been seething with rage, ready to explode at Ron and show him “exactly who is the boss in this house,” when Hermione had walked out of the cupboard. This small girl, whom he could have easily crushed if he wanted to, had managed to put the fear of all things holy in Vernon Dursley. He had gone from violet to ghostly white in seconds. “J-just s-stay away from us,” he stammered.







“We certainly shall, humph,” said Hermione, as she turned on her heel and quickly grabbed both of the now astonished young men and frog-marched them back upstairs.







They entered Harry’s room, and Hermione slammed the door shut behind them, turning her back to both of them. “That was bloody brilliant!” Ron exclaimed. “I didn’t know you had that in you. I mean, I know you have some temper and all, but the way you just shut that blustering old Muggle up down there, wow, that was really something. A bit scary-- you already knew that-- but really incredible.”









“Oh, Ron, please be quiet,” Hermione shouted, as she turned to face them. Harry and Ron were dumbstruck to see that she was crying. Her hands were shaking as if she had just been terribly frightened. Her breathing was ragged, and she seemed to be having great difficulty getting herself back under control. Just as Harry was about to ask if she needed to sit down, she ran at him, throwing her arms around him in a huge hug that Mrs. Weasley would have been proud of. Harry patted her back awkwardly, not really sure how to react.









“Harry, I’m so sorry. If I had known…if we could have done anything…why didn’t you tell anyone?” she sobbed at him, never letting him go.









Harry returned her embrace but said nothing for a time. Ron’s anger was beginning to grow again as he thought of all the time Harry had spent in this godforsaken place. “Yeah, why did you have to come back here all those summers? Why did Dumbledore put you through this torture anyway?”





"It had something to do with Aunt Petunia, and some blood protection that kept me safe while I was here. She’s my mum’s sister and since she is my only blood relative we had a connection. I don’t really understand it myself, but it was what Professor Dumbledore wanted,” Harry said, as tears started to form in his eyes. He had not allowed himself to cry for Dumbledore yet, and this was getting a little too close for him. He disentangled himself from Hermione, who seemed reluctant to let him go, but finally relented and ended her embrace. She sat down at Harry’s desk, conjured a box of tissues and began wiping her eyes. She seemed to have regained some of her composure and looked for a new book to begin working through.









Harry sat on his bed, the events of the last few minutes finally starting to become real to him. He felt drained already, and he had only been awake for a few minutes. “Guys, I am sorry you had to see that. I mean, it was a long time ago that I slept under the stairs and all. I really appreciate you both sticking up for me like that, though.” Harry looked away from his friends as he spoke.









“Harry, you need to know how much we care about you,” Hermione began, lowering the book and staring at him. “I’ve never really told you this, but before I got to Hogwarts, I did not have many friends. In fact, I don’t think I really had any friends.” Ron blanched at this last remark, thinking back to Halloween in their first year. “When I got to know you and Ron, it was the first time in my life that I felt like I belonged to a group. I really care about you, Harry; I guess you are like the little brother I never had or knew that I wanted. It breaks my heart to think of all that you have been through over the years.” By this time tears were again falling down her cheeks.









Harry, for the first time since the funeral, felt happy. He had always known that he and Hermione had a special bond. It was not a physical attraction, although many at school thought it must be. Even in their fourth year at the Yule Ball, when she had looked as beautiful as he had ever seen her, he had looked at her differently than he had looked at the rest of the girls, especially Cho. Harry blushed, remembering how much he’d liked Cho that year, and then the following year. Hermione had never caused the beast inside his chest to go wild or to purr or… Harry stopped that line of thought, knowing that it would lead to Ginny, who was certainly not a person he could safely think about.









No, Hermione was always just-- Hermione. They had a bond, but it was a bond of family. He got off the bed and walked over to the desk where Hermione was sitting. He looked down at her as she sat there wiping yet more tears from her eyes. “I love you, too, sis,” he said before bending over and picking her up in a hug.









This was so uncharacteristic for Harry that Hermione seemed more than a little shocked. “Although we do need to talk about who the big one is,” Harry grinned down at her, a full head taller than she. She kissed him on the cheek and proclaimed, “Well, of course, I am, Harry; I am almost a full year older than you are, and I am fully qualified, and I can Apparate--”









“And I’ve read Hogwarts, A History, and I got ten O.W.L.s, blah, blah, blah,” Ron said as he threw a pillow at his friends. “Have you guys finished gushing all over each other? We have work to do.”









“Ronald Weasley, don’t tell me that you don’t feel exactly the same way about Harry. Oh, wait, I know what it is-- you are just too macho to say anything like that. Oh, no, can’t say anything about how you feel, no matter what,” Hermione shot back, after taking a pillow full in the face.









“Of course not; Harry knows how I feel about him. He’s my best mate. I’ve got plenty of brothers, so he’s certainly not that. I’ve even got a little sibling so he can’t really be that either. That makes him, well, that makes him my best mate, with all that the lofty position entails,” Ron said, lifting his chin proudly in air and puffing his chest out. With that, Ron walked over to Harry and gave him the kind of hug only young male friends can give, awkward and one-armed.









After this very brief show of affection was completed, they all settled down to use the rest of the day to scour some of the books from the old Black family library for more information about Horcruxes and specifically how to destroy them. Just as they got comfortable, Ron looked up, startled.









“Hey, if Harry is like the brother you never wanted or something, then what does that make me?” Ron asked Hermione.









“Well, the boyfriend I never wanted, of ourse. I thought that would have been obvious by now,” she retorted with such candor that both Harry and Ron were stunned silent.









Harry looked at his two best friends with a knowing grin on his face. Just as Ron was about to attempt a reply, there was a soft tapping sound at the window. Harry quickly turned and saw Hedwig waiting patiently on the window sill. Harry got up and went to the window to let in his faithful owl. She swooped into the room and landed on the desk. Hermione gently stroked the bird’s back as Harry took the small piece of parchment from Hedwig’s outstretched leg. He looked at the parchment briefly before stumbling backwards, dropping it, and collapsing on the bed.









Ron moved quickly over to his friend. “What’s the matter, Harry; is it your scar or something?” The tension in Ron’s voice was palpable. Harry just gestured to the note lying on the floor. Immediately, Ron and Hermione both moved to pick up the note and read the message. Written in a very neat and familiar script were the words:









Harry, I will be arriving tonight to pick you and your friends up. Be packed and ready at 8:00 sharp. See you soon.



Sincerely,



A. Dumbledore



++++++



A/N I have to thank my Beta JenC, and prebetas Kerrbear, and Cableguysmom for there help. If not for them this story would be unreadable. Thanks ladies. This chapter is a bit short, future chapters will be longer. Please read and review.

So Long and Thanks for Nothing by ckwright51
I don't own this, this is completly the property of JKR.


+++++++





The afternoon was a flurry of activity for the three teens. Hermione helped the boys pack their belongings, after spending a good two hours searching the small room for their things.





“It never ceases to amaze me how you two can spread your stuff around so completely in such a short period of time,” Hermione proclaimed, doing a very good impression of Mrs. Weasley. “We’ve only been here for a couple of weeks, and you have managed to find every hiding place imaginable for your things. Harry, I found one of your socks behind the lamp on your desk. How in the world did that get there?”





“I dunno-- sock volleyball… or maybe Ron was using a Levitation Charm on my clothes again, behind my back,” Harry said, smiling at the agitated state Hermione was in. He was clearing up the last few books they had been using and stuffing them into Ron’s trunk.





“Argh! Well, if you don’t need me to help you, and since you find this whole thing so amusing, I will be going to Mrs. Figg’s to get my own things packed. It’s three now; I should be back in a couple of hours. Try not to get into trouble while I’m gone, and Harry, if those--Muggles say anything to you at all, let me know. Ginny was showing me some “adjustments” she made to her Bat-Bogey Hex, and I wouldn’t mind trying them out.” Then, with a pop she was gone.





“I don’t care what she says, she is trying rub that whole Apparition test thing in my face. Why didn’t she just walk down to Figg’s; it is only a couple of blocks,” Ron said, searching behind the desk for Harry’s other sock.





“Well, it may be because she didn’t want to see my aunt and uncle again. I have seen Hermione mad before-- I mean, I didn’t think anyone could make her as mad as you do-- but she was really livid down there. You are right, mate; she is a bit scary,” Harry replied, putting the last of his clothes-- with the exception of one sock-- into his trunk and closing the lid. “Hey, what did she mean about Ginny and her favorite hex?”





“Oh, that, don’t worry about it. She told me that Ginny has been really upset these last couple of weeks. She’s been really quiet since Dumbledore’s funeral and has been alternating between being on the verge of tears and screaming at everyone who looks at her funny. Hermione saw her do a Bat-Bogey Hex on Fred that was so intense it took Moody and Shacklebolt together to do the counter curse. See what you have to look forward to?” Ron said with a grin.





Harry did not respond, but instead sank onto his bed. He had reduced Ginny to crying or lashing out at everyone. How could he make this right? No, he had done the right thing. She could not follow him down this path. She was too special to go and risk everything for him. He was not going let her die like so many others he had cared for. She was not going to die for him. He was going to protect her.





“Harry, what’s wrong; why are you looking so upset all of a sudden? Don’t worry about Ginny, mate, she’s fine. She just needs some time to adjust to the situation with Dumbledore being gone and everything. It’s been difficult for all of us, although I didn’t think she was that close to him; I guess she is just taking it really hard,” Ron said with concern.



Harry was drawn out of his thoughts, realizing he had let his emotions show too much and that Ron had seen how upset he was. Fortunately, Ron had also provided a legitimate excuse for his reaction. “That’s not it,” Harry lied, “I was just thinking about the note. When I saw the name on it, my first reaction was to shout for joy. I thought maybe he had come back, somehow. Maybe I had not lost another person in my life. Maybe I hadn’t gotten someone else killed. Once I got over the initial shock and Hermione said she thought it must he his brother, well, it just hit me again that he is really gone.” Harry again sat back, now feeling awful for Ginny and for losing Dumbledore. His emotions were getting the best of him, and he needed a change in subject.





“So, what do the Cannons look like this year?” Harry asked.





Ron must have gotten the hint that Harry didn’t want to talk anymore about matters concerning Dumbledore. “Well, Quidditch Weekly says they’re going to be rubbish again, but I have hope. Their Seeker is getting older, but I think he still has a few good catches left in him.”





“That’s good, since he hasn’t actually made one since our first year, and that was in a loss anyway,” Harry replied, thankful for his friend’s willingness to let the subjects of Ginny and Dumbledore rest. He always thought Ron was much quicker on the uptake than people around him seemed to believe. Well, in all areas that didn’t have to do with girls-- in that area he was as dense as a peace of lead.





The rest of the afternoon passed with discussions of Quidditch, games of Muggle chess (since Harry still could not use magic away from school) and long conversations about nothing in particular.

+++++++





When Hermione hadn’t returned by seven in the evening, both young men started to become concerned.





“She said it would be a couple of hours, but it has been four; where could she be?” Ron asked. He was not the panicky type, except when it came to Hermione. “Should I go try to find her or something?”





“No, hold on a second; I’ll give her a call at Mrs. Figg’s,” Harry said, feeling uneasy about her delay, but not overly worried. He knew Hermione, and thought she may just have found a good book and become so engrossed in it that she forgot the time. She was probably just sitting by the fire reading.





“How are you going to call her? These crazy Muggles have blocked the fireplace, and you don’t have any Floo powder anyway,” Ron began, just as the answer struck him. “Oh, you are going to use a-- a fellytone thingy, aren’t you?”





Harry rolled his eyes at his friend’s utter lack of knowledge about the Muggle world. “It is called a telephone. You know, you should have taken Muggle Studies with Hermione in our third year.”





“Why would I do a thing like that, when I have you two to tell me all I need to know? It would be like reading Hogwarts, A History, when I have Hermione to tell me everything that’s in it,” Ron proclaimed, sounding very pleased with himself.





Harry grinned and started for the door. Just as he was about to grasp the doorknob, the door swung open, catching Harry in the shoulder and knocking him backwards.





“What are you doing sneaking up to doors like that? Trying to lock us out of a room in our own house are you?” Uncle Vernon blustered as he cautiously stepped into the room, followed by Dudley. They were both dressed in their best suits and looked quite pleased with themselves.





“We are going to dinner with the Mayor of Little Whinging,” he announced, as if he had been invited to visit the Queen herself. “I expect there to be no funny business while we are away, and mind you keep that little tart of a--”





He got no further, as Ron was on his feet in a second, wand raised, turning a rather impressive scarlet. “You’d better watch it, Dursley, or I may have to do some funny business on you right now!”





Harry was also on his feet, but he knew that showing his anger to Uncle Vernon was not the best way to handle the situation. He stepped between a bright red Ron, and a violently purple Uncle Vernon, arms outstretched to hold them apart.





“It’s all right, Uncle; we won’t be here when you get back. I am leaving tonight, and this will probably be the last time you will ever see me again. I would like to say thanks for all that you did for me, but in all honesty, you didn’t do much. I will say good“bye, and I hope that life treats you all well,” Harry said, feeling almost no emotion. He stepped back and sat down on his bed, looking around. He was puzzled by the way he felt, or rather the lack of feelings. Shouldn’t he be happy about leaving and never coming back? Shouldn’t he feel sad about leaving the place that he grew up in? There was nothing there at all-- no sadness or joy, just emptiness.





He was pulled from his thoughts by the voice of his Aunt Petunia. “Well, good riddance to you and your freak friends,” she huffed from the hallway, having just caught Harry’s words. Uncle Vernon growled at Ron and turned to march out of the room. “Come along, Dudley, the mayor awaits.”





Dudley, however, did not come along. He stood staring at Harry sitting on the bed. He had a very puzzled look on his face, as if he was trying to work something out in his head. He stepped forward tentatively, and motioned for Harry to come closer.





“What do you want you?” Ron spat, looking warily at the hefty young man in front of him.





Dudley looked at Ron, with some caution in his eyes, but continued to motion for Harry to come over to him. “Harry, I want to tell you something before you go. Something I should have told you a long time ago.” Dudley seemed to be pleading at this point for Harry to come to him.





Harry got up, wondering what could possibly be so important to Dudley. He had never shown the least bit of consideration over the years, so why now? Harry was hesitant, but the curiosity was becoming overwhelming, so he moved closer to Dudley, who was standing just inside the doorway. As he moved closer, Dudley took a step back, looking out of the door to see if his father was with in ear shot. When he turned back around, Harry was right in front of him, with Ron standing directly behind him, glaring.



Dudley flinched slightly at the sight of Ron staring down at him. Ron was 6’4” if he was an inch, and while he was not nearly as broad as Dudley, he still cut an imposing figure. Dudley quickly pulled Harry closer to him, as if he was going to share a secret. “Harry, I just wanted to say…,” he whispered.





Harry was burning with curiosity now. What on earth did his cousin have to say to him that he could not, or would not, allow his mother and father to hear? Perhaps at least one of his relations had actually changed his mind about him. Perhaps someone in his family, at least his biological family, was willing to accept him.





Dudley glanced back again, looking nervously over his shoulder. “I just wanted to tell you that…” He turned back to Harry and threw a wicked punch that caught Harry squarely in the face. “That you really are a freak and we are glad to be rid of you!” Dudley howled as he ran out of the room.





Harry toppled back into Ron, causing both of them to fall heavily on the floor between the bed and Ron’s cot. Blood started spilling out of Harry’s nose. He knew that it was broken; he recognized the sensation from the previous year. His eyes watered, and he was very dizzy as he sat there entangled with Ron on the floor.





Ron burst with rage and extricated himself from underneath Harry. He got to his feet and raced out of the room, leaving Harry sitting there, blood dripping from his nose, feeling consciousness slipping from his grasp. He heard a pop come from somewhere, but was too dazed to figure out from where.





“What happened?” Hermione exclaimed as she saw Harry lying there on the floor, covered with blood. “Where’s Ron? Harry, what happened?” She got to Harry’s side and started cleaning the blood off his face, only to find that his nose was still bleeding and looked to be sitting slightly to the right on his face. She realized that his nose was broken and set about trying to stem the blood flow as best she could. She noticed his glasses lying on the ground next to his head. “Reparo,” she said, flicking her wand at the glasses. She then picked them up and put them into the pocket of her jeans.





Ron reentered the bedroom breathing heavily, and redder than Hermione had ever seen him.





“Ron, what happened? Why is Harry’s nose broken; what is going on?” she asked, completely confused by the mess she had Apparated into.





“That no good, foul--” Ron stammered, trying desperately not to launch into another tirade of curses that would cause Hermione to yell at him, “--cousin of Harry’s punched him just before he left with his parents. I ran after him, but he was in the car and they were gone before I could get to him. Oh, if I ever see that big fat Muggle again, I am going rip his arms off and beat him to death with them,” Ron exploded, sitting down on the Harry’s bed and looking down at him. “How is he?” he asked in a much calmer voice, his concern for Harry outweighing his hatred of Dudley.





“Well, his nose is broken and I can’t fix that, but it looks like the bleeding has started to slow. The Order, or at least Mr. Dumbledore, will be here in an hour or so, and we can get him fixed up then. Harry, can you stand; are you all right?” she asked, taking his hand and lifting his head slightly.





“Yeah, I think I am all right; this is nothing I haven’t felt before anyway. Between Bludgers and Death Eaters, I have had worse.” He slowly got to his feet, Ron stepping in to give him a hand and leading him to a chair. “I can’t believe that git actually suckered me in. I should have known it was a something like that,” he said, slowly shaking his head.





“So, where have you been the last four hours? You said it would only take a couple to get yourself packed,” Ron said angrily, turning to Hermione as he remembered his feelings of panic over her delay.





“I was packing, and then I had a quick letter to write. I knew that you two would be here all afternoon discussing Quidditch or something, so I decided to get the letter done before I came back. Sorry if I don’t keep you updated on every second of my day, Ronald,” Hermione shot back, her anger beginning to rise.





“Enough, guys; I can’t take this right now,” Harry spoke up, stopping the impending row in its tracks. “Hermione, we were just concerned because, well, because we don’t want anything to happen to you and in these dark times… you know,” Harry interjected, speaking for his friend. “Ron, she is a big girl and can take care of herself,” he said, looking over to Ron.





Ron simply nodded, looking at Hermione. Hermione, however, was looking at Harry. “You would do well to remember that too, Harry,” she said matter-of-factly.





This struck Harry as a very odd thing for her to say, but before he could respond, his brain kicked in. She knows, he thought. Hermione sat looking at him, her eyebrows raised in an expression that clearly said, Yes, I do know, and we are going to be talking about some things. He quickly turned his head.





Before he could think of a subject change, there was a crashing sound in the kitchen, followed by muffled voices. Ron got to his feet, looked back at his two friends and said, “Stay here. If they are friends I’ll be right back; if they are enemies, then you will know pretty soon.” He walked out of the room.





A minute later Ron came back into the bedroom with Remus and a witch Harry didn’t recognize in tow. Harry noticed as they entered that Remus and the witch were holding hands, so he thought it safe to assume she was Tonks. Remus looked like he always did: old ragged robes, slightly graying hair that made him look older than he was, and very pale skin. The smile on his face, however, looked more natural than it used to. He had laugh wrinkles around his eyes-- something Harry had never seen before-- which took some of the age from them. Harry thought that Tonks was having a very good effect on his former professor.





Tonks, on the other hand, was unrecognizable. She had flaming red hair that she wore long, dark brown eyes and pale, freckled skin. If Harry didn’t know better, he would have been sure that she was Ginny’s older sister. She stood taller than Ginny by a couple of inches, but that was the main difference.





Remus was quick to notice the damage to Harry’s face. “What happened?” he asked with concern.





“Going away present from my cousin; I didn’t duck quickly enough,” Harry said with a mirthless laugh.



“Wotcher, Hermione, Ron,” Tonks said, grinning. She then turned to Harry. “Harry, I’ll take care of it,” she sighed. There was no warmth in her voice, and Harry began to wonder what he had done. As she walked towards him, he was struck again by just how much like Ginny she looked, and it hit him like a ton of bricks. She knew too.





Oh, this is just great, Harry thought. Is there a girl that doesn’t know that I broke up with Ginny? He sat up straighter as Tonks grabbed him under the chin and pulled his head up so that they were face to face. “We’ll talk later,” she whispered as she waved her wand and fixed his broken nose. She let his chin fall out of her hand and made no move to clean up the mass of blood around his face and on his clothes.





He pulled out his own wand to try to clean himself up, but realized he still wasn’t allowed to do magic. He looked at Hermione with pleading eyes. She took pity on him and cleaned up the blood, then handed him his glasses.





“Thanks,” he said sheepishly, and she turned and headed for the door.





“So where is Mr. Dumbledore?” Ron asked brightly, completely unaware of the distress that Harry found himself in.





“Just downstairs; I think he is looking for the Muggles’ alcohol to see if there is anything worth…um, borrowing,” Tonks declared as she led them back out of the room. Remus shrank their trunks and put them both in his pocket. Harry grabbed Hedwig’s cage and they started down the stairs.





“Wow, what sort of spell is that?” Ron exclaimed. “I didn’t know you could do that.”





“Oh, that is just a Reduction Transfiguration. I picked it up in my travels. Makes things much simpler when you have to make a fast get away,” Remus explained.





Downstairs, they were greeted by the sight of the bartender from the Hog’s Head standing before them. He was wearing a rough leather traveling cloak that seemed far too hot for a summer evening, a hat pulled low over his eyes, and what looked like cowboy boots.





Remus looked at the astonished faces around him, smiling as he said, “May I introduce Aberforth Dumbledore.” Harry, Ron, and Hermione were in shock; they had never imagined that the old, menacing-looking barkeeper from Hogsmeade was Professor Dumbledore’s brother. It was hard to see the resemblance with his hat pulled down so low, but the height was a pretty good match.





“Good evening all,” he growled. “It seems that you were not expecting me. Albus always spoke so highly about your ability to figure things out, but you never suspected that I was his brother. Stands to reason, I guess-- you have only been in my pub a couple of times. Nice to meet you all properly; now we must be off.”





“Where are we going, sir?” Harry asked, still astonished to see the man who had once, according to Dumbledore, been prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms on a goat.





“To Grimmauld Place, of course, we have some business to discuss.” He then waved his wand and the faux fireplace vanished, leaving the actual fireplace that was hidden behind it. “Okay, in you go.” Harry stepped forward and took some Floo powder. He tossed it into the fireplace and stepped in. “Number twelve, Grimmauld Place,” he shouted. He was immediately swept into the Floo Network, the familiar warm sensation of the green flames surrounding him. He spun towards his destination, elbows tucked in so as to avoid hitting anything.





He landed on his feet in the fireplace at number twelve, Grimmauld Place with a thump and fell forward, landing on his chest. He never was any good on the dismount.





“Still better then Apparating,” he said as he got to his feet and wiped himself off. He looked up and was so startled he almost fell backwards into the fireplace again. Ginny was right in front of him, staring at him with those beautiful brown eyes.





“Hmf,” was all she said as she turned and walked out of the room without so much as a backward glance.





“Well that can’t be good,” Harry said, just as Ron tumbled out of the fireplace, knocking him over once again.

+++++++++



A/N I have to thank my Beta JenC, and prebetas Kerrbear, and Cableguysmom for there help. If not for them this story would be unreadable. Thanks ladies. This chapter is a bit short, future chapters will be longer. Please read and review.





Final Thoughts by ckwright51
A/N I don’t own any of this.
++++++++


“Harry, dear, how are you? Feeling all right? Oh, you look as though you haven’t eaten in weeks,” cried Mrs. Weasley as she entered the study, where Harry and Ron had just managed to get to back to their feet. She wrapped Harry in a huge hug, smothering him as she held him close to herself. Harry tried to pull away as quickly as he could; the image of Ginny walking out without even speaking to him still hung in his mind. He felt unworthy of this sort of affection from the mother of the girl whose heart he seemed to have broken.


You did it for the right reasons, he told himself for the hundredth time that day.


“Hey, thanks for all the love, Mum. You know, if I didn’t know better, I’d think you liked Harry more than me,” Ron said, watching the loving embrace that Harry was receiving.


“Ron, don’t be ridiculous; I love all my boys the same,” Mrs. Weasley replied, leaving Harry to go and embrace Ron in yet another bone-crunching hug.


Did she just refer to me as one of her boys? Harry thought, as another crushing wave of guilt fell upon him. No, Mrs. Weasley would understand, would appreciate my desire to keep Ginny out of danger. Yes, she would be on my side,he thought, trying to rationalize his decision. He was not successful, however, as he thought of the look of pain on Ginny’s face as she left the room. He could imagine the tears in her eyes as she sat in her room upstairs, and he knew that the Weasleys, in no uncertain terms, would be ready to hang him for doing this to their only little girl.


“Okay, Mum, you proved you love me… now please get off; I can’t breathe,” Ron said, trying unsuccessfully to remove his mother’s arms from about his neck.


“Well, Ron, of course you can breathe; otherwise you wouldn’t be able to talk, now would you?” Hermione declared, stepping gracefully out of the fire and brushing ash from her hair.


“Shut it, Hermione!” Ron growled, although with a twinkle of mirth in his eyes. One of the great joys in life that they both shared was bickering at each other. It had become a wonderful way to pay attention to each other without expressing the real feelings behind the emotions. Of course, he didn’t actually realize this; he just happened to enjoy giving her a hard time when necessary.


“Oh, Hermione, you look wonderful, dear. It is so good to have you all back,” Mrs. Weasley proclaimed, as Tonks came stumbling out of the fire. She was quickly followed by Remus and Aberforth, who was in the process of pulling a small bowl from under his cloak.


“Dinner is ready, so let’s all go and eat, and then we can get down to the Order meeting,” Mrs. Weasley said, attempting to sound cheery. She was not entirely successful, and Harry noticed that she looked uncomfortably at Aberforth as she left the room.


“Great, I’m starved; I wonder what Mum has cooked up for us tonight!” Ron exclaimed as he made for the door.


“Ron, when are you not“” Hermione started, but paused, putting her hand to her mouth, her eyes widening in shock.


“Wh-what is it?” Ron stammered, real concern etched on his face.


“I forgot, I-- was supposed to ‘Shut it!’” Hermione glared back at Ron’s disbelieving face. Harry shook his head as Hermione pushed her way past a dumbstuck Ron. Harry saw the hint of a smile on her face as she glanced back at Ron on her way out.


“Can you believe her? I thought there was really something wrong,” Ron said, his ears turning red. Harry thought there was a note of pride in his voice, however.


“Well, you did tell her”” Harry began.


“Shut it, Harry!” Ron interrupted, failing miserably to hide his smile.


With that, they left for the kitchen.
+++++


Dinner with the Weasleys was never a quiet affair. The twins had arrived shortly before Harry and his gang, and had enchanted the seats in the kitchen to move out from under anyone who attempted to sit in them. Ron painfully discovered this as he attempted to sit and pull food onto his plate in the same motion. Finally, after Mrs. Weasley browbeat the twins into submission about the chairs, everyone was able to sit down to a proper meal. Aberforth had not followed them into the kitchen, and Harry had no idea where he had gone.


After an hour or so, Aberforth entered the kitchen with two more people in tow. Harry was quite surprised to see that Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood were following the old bartender into the room. Neville was looking back and forth, as if he had never seen a kitchen before. Luna, wand tucked behind her right ear, gazed at the surroundings, then eased into a spot next to Ginny and started chatting merrily with her classmate.


As Harry watched Luna walk over to take her seat, he caught Ginny’s eye for the first time. She had not glanced in his direction once since he entered the kitchen. She turned away quickly and smiled in response to something Luna had just said.


Harry looked back at Neville, who was talking happily with Lupin and awkwardly attempting to squeeze into a seat next to Tonks at the table.


“Nice look, Tonks; you could be Ron’s sister,” Neville declared as Tonks slid over to make room.


“Yeah, that was sort of the fun of it,” she replied, sending an angry look at Harry.


This was beginning to get under Harry’s skin, and his anger began to build. I did it to protect her, because I care about her. He was just about to get up and stomp out of the room when Aberforth stood up.


“Can I have your attention, please?” he announced. He had removed his traveling cloak and hat, revealing coarse black robes and a mop of long salt-and-pepper colored hair. Harry was amazed at the resemblance between Aberforth and his brother. They had the same blue eyes, long narrow nose, and seemed to be about the same height. The lines in this man’s face were not as pronounced as they had been in Dumbledore’s last year, but he had the look of a man who had seen a lot and carried the burden for it.


“We need to begin,” he declared, pulling the bowl off the counter and pouring a veil of silver liquid into it.


“Okay, children, off you go,” Molly said, as she attempted to herd the teens from the room.


“Actually, Molly, they have to stay,” Aberforth said matter-of-factly. “Harry, if you and your friends would kindly take your seats-- yes, Molly, Ginny and Luna as well,” he said, noticing Molly motioning towards the two younger girls at the table. “Albus was insistent that they be present for this.”


Mrs. Weasley was about to protest, when her husband placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. “They aren’t children anymore, Molly,” he said comfortingly. She retook her seat, her eyes shining with tears as she patted Ginny on the arm. She smiled a sad little smile, and for the first time, Ginny seemed to know that her mother saw her as a young woman and not just a little girl.


“Albus wanted me to present to you all, his will. Shortly before he died, he left me his Pensieve and memory for you all to witness.” He swirled the silver liquid in the Pensieve and the image of Albus Dumbledore rose out.


There were tears in the eyes of most at the table upon seeing the old headmaster again, even in this miniature form. The hand was blackened, confirming that this was certainly a recent memory. The image slowly turned around, seemingly looking around the room at each person in turn. It then stopped, looking directly at Arthur Weasley.


“Hello, Arthur, I hope all is well, although I imagine that everyone here is feeling a bit down tonight. I have died, and you all are wondering what the next step will be. Alas, I cannot tell you that, but I can tell you not to fear. I have every confidence in each and every one of you, and I know that the war will end well as long as you all stick together. Now, I suppose we should get down to business.”


“Arthur and Molly Weasley, to you I leave the contents of my four vaults at Gringotts-- the sum total of all the money I have there-- to be used as you see fit. I know that you don’t want charity, and that is not what this is. I could not make you any richer than you are at present, because you are so rich in the love you all share as a family. You may keep the money, pass it on to your children, or bury it behind the Burrow. Just know that your friendship over the years and your service to the Order have been an inspiration to me.”


Arthur smiled sadly and pulled Molly into a one-armed embrace as she swiped at the tears in her eyes. Harry watched, and understood that it was not the money that elicited this response-- it was the fact that Dumbledore had been inspired by their love and service.


The image of Professor Dumbledore slowly rotated until it was facing Fred and George.


“To Fred and George Wesley, I leave you all the stock I have in Zonko’s Joke Shop. I believe that makes you the controlling partner. In fact, that makes you the sole owners of all of the Zonko’s shops. I must say this would probably have happened anyway, but I thought I would make it official. This world needs all the laughs it can get, my friends, and you two are most talented at providing those laughs. You are doing the Marauders proud.”


Fred and George, pride etched on their faces, stood and saluted the image of Dumbledore. The image then turned to Remus, who was holding Tonks’s hand as she sat beside him with a tear in her eye.


“Remus, I leave you my beach house in Brazil-- you know, the one that Sirius stayed at for a while-- along with my estate in Scotland. It is the Manor, twenty-three miles north of Edinburgh. It has been a very long time since that house has been a real home, so I hope that you and some wonderful young lady will make it one.”


Remus smiled and squeezed Tonks’s hand. Harry watched as they looked at each other. Harry knew that he was no expert on relationships, but he could easily see the love that was present between them.


“Now, to everyone assembled, there are a few things more that I must say. First, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and Luna, it is time you all joined the Order.


This statement was met by a few gasps, Mrs. Weasley jumping to protest and being restrained by her husband, and Ron mouthing, “Finally,” to Harry.


Dumbledore waited patiently, knowing how this announcement would be received. Finally, he started again. “Molly, I am sorry, but these six young adults have proved beyond doubt that they are ready for the fight that lies ahead of them. In fact, each one of them will have a critical role to play in future events, if I am not terribly mistaken. Of course, with Ginny I cannot force you, and Luna will need her father’s consent as well, but it is time. They are ready.” Dumbledore’s image smiled at each of the teens in turn.


“Secondly, I propose that Professor McGonagall take my place as head of the Order. Of course, this is your decision, but she is the best placed, as headmistress of Hogwarts, to watch over Order concerns.”


“Now, I must ask all but the six teens to leave the room. There are matters that they alone must hear. Harry, as soon as everyone has left, tap the Pensieve twice with your wand.” The image of Dumbledore then melted back into the Pensieve.


A great commotion followed Dumbledore’s words, again protests from some quarters, especially Mrs. Weasley, but also from the twins. After about five minutes of argument, Remus raised his hand in an attempt to silence the protesters. “Everyone, please!” he shouted. Once the room was quiet again, he continued, “Over the years we have trusted Albus Dumbledore with our lives, and our greatest treasures.” He glanced at Harry for a brief instant. “We need to trust him now,” he stated simply and walked out of the room. Tonks looked admiringly after him and followed. The rest filed out of the room, Arthur being the last to leave.


“If you need anything, we will be in the library,” he said, smiling with pride at his children. He turned and walked out.


Everyone sat motionless for a few minutes. “What do you suppose this is all about?” Neville asked. He had a look on his face which showed his apprehension at being asked to join the Order of the Phoenix, and his pride in being asked as well. “And how does the image know who it is talking to?”


“It doesn’t; it is just enchanted to look at the correct person, but the image doesn’t really know who is present. That is why it doesn’t know when everyone who is not supposed to be here is gone,” Luna explained. Everyone in the room looked at her with surprised expressions. “What, I can’t come up with an answer once in a while? I’m in Ravenclaw after all. I don’t only think about finding animals that no one else believes exist.”


“So what is this all about?” Neville reiterated his first question.


Harry stood. “I think I know, but let’s find out from the source.” He took out his wand and tapped the Pensieve twice on the side. The liquid again began to swirl, and once more the image of Dumbledore appeared.


“Very good, Harry, I am assuming that they have all left the room. All right, first off, Harry,” The image turned and leaned closer to Harry, as if to see him better. “It is imperative that you go back to Hogwarts next year. I believe that it will provide you with a better base of operations to fulfill the task I have left with you to complete. Professor McGonagall has been instructed to help in any way she can, including allowing you to leave on weekends if you must, although I believe that at least one of the items you seek is still at the school. You will also be training-- along with these five friends of yours-- and the school, again, is a better place to do so than headquarters. I am also leaving you my Pensieve and all the memories we used during the school year. I think your friends would like to see them. It may help. Finally, you will need to finish your education, because, Harry, I truly believe that you are going to be victorious in this battle against Voldemort. To do this, however, you must not push your friends away. These five people sitting around you have helped you more than you know in the battles of your past, and will be vital to your success in the future. Keep them close, Harry.”


Harry felt tears beginning to sting his eyes as he thought about his friends around the table. Ron, who had been the first real friend in his life--sure, he was brash and dense at times, but you couldn’t ask for a more loyal friend. He showed Harry a passion and joy for living that he had never known before.


He looked at Hermione, the bushy-haired girl with big teeth… well, not so big now. She really was like a sister to him. She was always the conscience of the group; whenever he would think about breaking the rules, she was the voice inside his head. She was also the one who understood-- perhaps better than any of them-- that rules needed to be broken in times of need.


Neville and Luna, the two biggest misfits he had ever seen-- even bigger than himself-- and yet they both had a strength that was unbelievable. Luna’s ability to get straight to the heart of the matter, while embarrassing at times, was refreshing. With Luna you always knew exactly where you stood.


Neville had a courage that belied his frightened appearance. The boy, who was like Harry in so many ways, had grown a great deal over the years. His confidence had certainly grown, as had his ability, but it was his courage that still stood out the most to Harry. He remembered back to a frightened first year standing in the common room, attempting to keep them from getting out and getting into trouble.


Finally, his eyes rested upon Ginny. She had that same Weasley passion for living, but that was not what he thought about with her. She had brought him peace and hope-- something to live for. Peace when he had thought Voldemort had possessed him. Peace when he’d needed to talk to Sirius about the image of his father in Snape’s memory. Peace and hope when Dumbledore had been killed. Did he love her? He wasn’t sure, and now he was afraid he would never know.


He didn’t realize he was staring at her until he heard Dumbledore’s voice again. Fortunately, she was so intent on the image that she didn’t seem to notice.


The image then turned to Hermione. “Miss Granger, I am leaving you my library. I have not been able to look through many of the books in some time, and my hope is that you will be able to use them to aid you all in your search. Of course, the Hogwarts library is also open to you for research. Madam Pince will be as helpful as she can be. Once this is over, keep the books you would like to keep, and donate the rest to Hogwarts. You will find the books in the Room of Requirement when you need them.”


Hermione was stunned; someone could have left her all the Galleons in the world and not have shocked her more than that moment. She kept moving her mouth to speak, but nothing came out


The image turned once again to Harry. “Now, Harry, it is time for you to leave us. It will not take long, but there are some final thoughts that I must provide for your friends. I assure you that no confidences of ours will be exposed.” The image turned to Ginny. “Miss Weasley, if you would please tap the Pensieve three times with your wand once Harry has left.” Then the image faded and melted into the Pensieve.


It was Harry’s turn to be dumbstruck. He knew that Professor Dumbledore played his cards close to the vest, but this was getting ridiculous. He contemplated refusing to leave, but after looking to each of his friends, he simply couldn’t do it. “Well, see you guys later; I am going to bed,” he said, getting up from his seat and leaving the room.


Harry slowly walked up the stairs, wondering what on earth Dumbledore had to say that he, Harry, could not hear. His head hurt, and he felt exhausted, despite having slept until noon that day. He changed, took off his glasses, and got into bed. Ten minutes later, Harry heard Ron enter the room. Feeling too drained to talk, he pretended to be asleep. Several hours later, neither, were asleep. Each lost in their own thoughts, worries and roles to play in the war to defeat Voldemort.
+++++++


A/N I have to thank my Beta JenC, and prebetas Kerrbear, and Cableguysmom for there help. If not for them this story would be unreadable. Thanks ladies. This chapter is a bit short, future chapters will be longer. Please review. I want to know what you guys think. Good reviews are good, bad reviews are good. Let me know your reading. Thanks
Moving On by ckwright51
A/N I don’t own any of this.
++++++++


“Kill Me!” Dumbledore yelled


“This--this one will! Just drink this…It’ll be over…all over!”


There was a flash of green light. Harry watched as Dumbledore rose in the air, hung there as if suspended and then fell over the wall of the Astronomy Tower. He closed his eyes on the image. He opened them and found himself in the Department of Mysteries standing over Hermione’s broken body.


“Please don’t be dead!” Harry pleaded.


“I am Harry; you killed me,” Hermione responded, opening her eyes but staring sightlessly ahead.


Harry started to tremble and again closed his eyes. He opened them and saw Ron lying dead in the passageway to the Chamber of Secrets. Ron’s dead body then stirred; lifting his head, he looked at Harry through the same sightless, lifeless eyes as Hermione had.


“Why did you bring us, Harry; why didn’t you leave us alone? You killed us.”


Images of Sirius falling through the veil, Bill being attacked, Ginny lying in the Chamber all begin to swirl in front of Harry.

Then Draco Malfoy was laughing at him. “Some savior you turned out to be, couldn’t even save the people you love. Ha! I knew I picked the winning side in all of this”

++++


Harry was lying in his bed, drenched in sweat. He stared straight ahead, trembling, and whispered, “It was only a dream, only a dream.” He looked over to see Ron still snoring away. He must not have called out during the dream.


He sat, shaking his head and trying to get the trembling to stop. He couldn’t believe the intensity of the dream. He hadn’t had a dream like that in over a year. He knew that it wasn’t a vision, since Ron was obviously in the bed across the room. It didn’t really make sense though; he hadn’t even dreamed like that right after Dumbledore had died.


He sat for several minutes trying work out what the dream meant. Finally, he decided that the answer was still out of reach so he quietly got up and dressed. The room was still dark, although the first bits of dawn sunlight were beginning to streak the floor. Harry figured that he was probably the only one up so he left the room to go and find some breakfast. Perhaps something to eat and some time to just sit in the study and think would help him.


He closed the door softly behind him as he walked out. He went slowly to the kitchen, still feeling groggy and disturbed about the dream. He walked toward the kitchen door and was surprised to hear voices behind it. Then the door opened and Hermione walked out, bumping into Harry as she did.


“Morning, Harry,” she said, taking a sip of coffee. She tried to look cheerful, but the dark circles under her eyes told Harry that she hadn’t slept well. She looked at him, moving the cup from in front of her face, her brow furrowed. She seemed to be debating with herself about something.


“Morning, Hermione. What is everyone doing up already?” Harry asked, attempting to sound normal. He didn’t really feel like talking about anything, and he knew that Hermione would not give him any space if she suspected something was wrong.


“Oh, I think it was a pretty difficult night, with Dumbledore’s will and all. Um…you want to take a walk?” she asked.


Harry looked around the room for a second but was unable to come up with a reasonable excuse not to so he nodded, and she led him out a side door into the main hall. They walked down the hall, past the staircase and the painting of Mrs. Black, which was quietly sleeping, towards a door at the back of the hall.


“Where are we going?” Harry asked; he had not even realized there was a door out of the back of the hallway.


“Into the garden,” she stated, opening the door and stepping out. Harry followed her and found himself in an immense garden. There was a large rectangular courtyard surrounded by tall hedges. On the left, there was a circular stone fountain with the figure of a wizard standing in the middle on a raised podium. He had his hands outstretched and water was shooting from the tips of two wands, one in each hand. A house-elf was kneeling next to him, looking admiringly up at the dignified wizard.


To the right was a small gazebo with ivy vines covering the walls and benches in a circle around it. The benches had elaborate carvings of wizards and house-elves in them; the wizards all looked dignified, and the house-elves all appeared to be groveling at their feet. A birdbath was off in the corner, and down the center of the garden was a path lined with weeping willow trees, leading to a small pond tucked just inside the hedge wall.


“What is this place?” Harry wondered aloud. This garden just didn’t match the rest of the house.


“This is the garden, like I said, although Mrs. Weasley has made some changes since we started coming here. The fountain used to be filled with some red liquid. I think it was supposed to be blood.”


The walked down the path in silence for a few moments. When they reached the pond, Hermione turned to Harry with a questioning look in her eyes. “So, what happened?” she asked.


“What happened to…Oh,” Harry replied, comprehension dawning on his face. He was still thinking about the dream and hadn’t realized that Hermione wanted to talk about Ginny.


“Harry, you both seemed so happy. Even after…the fight at Hogwarts you guys seemed all right. Then she tells me yesterday that you broke up with her. Why?” she asked, shaking her head.


Harry looked at his friend who always seemed to have all the answers; she seemed completely mystified by his actions. “To protect her, Hermione,” he stated flatly.


“WHAT?” she bellowed. This was not the response that Harry had anticipated. He expected understanding, calm, logical thought from Hermione. She had to see the reasonableness of his thinking. She, however, obviously had not seen this as reasonable in the least.


“You mean that this is supposed to be a noble act in order to save Ginny from some unknown future? Harry, didn’t you learn anything last year? Didn’t you see how miserable Tonks was, because Remus was trying to be noble? They lost a whole year because of that silly male nobility thing,” she said, waving her arms while she was making her point.


“Hermione, everyone I care about, everyone that I get close to, ends up dead.”


“No, they don’t. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and realize that everyone around is around because they care about you. They WANT to be around you. I want to be around you, and I will stand beside you to the end. So will Ron, and Remus, and everyone else in the Order. So will Ginny, if you let her.


“I know that; that is exactly why I can’t have her around. Voldemort will kill her, use her to get to me. He has already done it once, and I don’t know what I would do if she got hurt or …” He couldn’t even bring himself to say the word.


Hermione started to calm down a bit, and began again, this time in a softer voice. “Do you remember first year when I told you that you were a great wizard? I meant it then, and it’s true now. Harry, the safest place for any of us is at your side. Voldemort can use any of us to try to get to you. If it were Ron, do you think you could leave him and let him die, or Mrs. Weasley or me? Harry, you can’t be the hero and try to protect us all from the future. It will come whether we like it or not.”


“I just can’t think about what would happen if she died, Hermione.” Harry’s emotions were starting to get the better of him.

“We all die; the question is how we are going to face it. Sirius faced it the way that he wanted to, standing for what he believed in. Dumbledore faced it trying to protect his students. We’ve all faced death before, Harry, and we will do it again whether we are with you or not. Ginny wants to be with you, Harry, to stand by you and give you the support you need. If you don’t let her, you are going the weaker for it.”


“I am with her on this, mate,” Ron said, walking up to them.


“When did you get here?” Harry asked, surprised by Ron’s untimely arrival. The last thing Harry wanted was to have an angry older brother to contend with along with Hermione.


“Just a minute ago; I heard Hermione scream at you. I must admit, I was a bit confused since it wasn’t me she was yelling at. I came down to see what was going on,” Ron said, smiling at Hermione.


Hermione blushed, and stared intently at a duck that had just landed in the pond.


“I just can’t risk it guys. I know what you’re saying sounds true, but I just can’t help feeling that as long as she is with me she is a bigger target,” he said, resolve entering his voice, if not his mind.


He turned and started walking back to the house. He had made the right decision, hadn’t he? He was doing this for her, to keep her safe. He didn’t want to put her in danger. He thought again about the dream, and what Hermione had said about how he would react if any of the others had been in trouble. He would want to save them, and yet he was letting them come along and take part in this fight, so why not Ginny? She knew the risks that standing with him would bring.


He walked into the house and towards the library. He needed to think about this in private. Yesterday he’d been so sure that his decision to protect Ginny was the right one; now he was not at all certain. He entered the library and found that it was not as empty as he had hoped. Remus was standing by the fireplace, drinking a cup of orange juice and reading the Daily Prophet. Tonks was seated across the room, going over notes of some kind; she still had the long, flaming red hair. Alastor Moody and Aberforth Dumbledore were talking in the corner. Harry turned to leave, but was halted by Remus’s voice.


“Harry, just the young man we needed to talk to,” he said brightly. “Come in so we can discuss some details with you.”


Details, Harry thought. Details about what? He walked into the library toward Remus, steadily avoiding Tonks’s gaze.


“Harry, we need to talk about your training,” Remus continued more seriously. “Starting tomorrow, we want you to train six days a week. Sundays you will have time to recover, and with what Aberforth and Alastor have in mind, you are going to need it. During the summer, we will work in the morning, either indoors or in the garden, whichever works best. Once school starts, we will work during your off periods and in the evening. I know this will be a lot on you with N.E.W.T.s and all, but we need to make preparations.” His voice was steady and normal, but as he spoke, Harry could see the concern in his eyes.


“That’s all right, Professor; I need to be ready when I face Voldemort, the sooner the better. I also have some other things--things Professor Dumbledore gave to me before he…died,” Harry stated. His voice trailed off, but he knew that he had to start saying it. Dumbledore was dead, and he had to keep moving forward.


Remus’s concern grew as Harry spoke. “Okay, Harry, if you have something that Albus wanted you to do, then by all means we will allow you to do it. We will help in any way possible.” He looked over at Tonks, who, glanced up from her notes and finally rose out of her chair.


“Of course; we are ALL here to help you, Harry,” she said, giving him just a touch of a grin.


“Point taken, Tonks. I don’t know what to do about that just yet, but I am thinking it through,” Harry said, red starting to color his cheeks.


“Then that is really all we can ask,” she said, putting her arm around him, feeling that he had been sufficiently rebuked. She then scrunched up her face, and before his eyes the red hair disappeared and the spiky pink returned.


Remus looked between them with a bemused expression on his face. “Do I know what you two are talking about?”


“No,” Tonks said simply. “Don’t you need to tell Harry what the training is going to be?”


Remus was still confused, but pressed on nonetheless. “Right. Harry, we will be spending the mornings working on physical training: Dueling and some other spell work. In the afternoons, we want to work on Occlumency.”


“Wait a second; who is going to teach me?” Harry eyed his former professor nervously, remembering the sessions he’d had with Snape.


“That would be me, Mr. Potter,” Aberforth answered from across the room. “We will be spending about an hour each afternoon working on clearing and focusing your mind.”


“Why? Voldemort hasn’t tried to mess with my head in over a year.”


“There are other advantages to Occlumency that we will discuss later,” Aberforth said, turning and resuming his conversation with Moody.


“One other thing, Harry: Dumbledore wanted us to include your friends in the training. Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny and Luna are all going to take part. You will work with a different person each day, sparring with one of us while they fight at your side,” Remus stated. “Every sixth session you will train alone.”


“Okay, so when do we begin?” Harry asked, excited at the prospect of doing something proactive. He felt that the search for the Horcruxes was going all right, but he didn’t feel he was much help. Research was Hermione’s thing.


“We start tomorrow morning at nine. You will be training with Ron, so let him know. Now, why don’t you go and relax? You won’t be getting many more chances this summer.


Harry was just about to go when a thought occurred to him. “What about the restriction for underage magic. Ginny and Luna are not of age yet? Won’t they get in trouble for doing magic?”


“That will be”um”taken care off Harry.” Tonks stated with a grin. “As we speak Arthur is getting a Ministry waiver allowing them to use magic outside of school as long as they are under the direct supervision of a qualified witch or wizard. Professor Dumbledore was working on it.”


Harry smiled a small sad smile as the thought about how Dumbledore always seemed to have his bases covered. He turned a left to go and try and find a place to relax and think.
++++++


The rest of the morning went by quietly. Harry found a place in the study to relax and practice emptying his mind. He practiced for an hour and finally nodded off. He slept peacefully until the creaking of the door woke him. He opened his eyes in time to a see the door close, but no one was there. They must have left, Harry thought. He got up and discovered that he was feeling hungry--really hungry--for the first time in weeks. He went to the kitchen to see if lunch was ready. He found Mrs. Weasley in an intense discussion with Hermione. Ron sat at the opposite end of the table happily eating a fish sandwich with chips. Harry sat beside him. “So, what are they talking about?”


Ron looked up, a little startled. “Oh, hi, Harry; didn’t see you there. They are discussing the wedding. Fleur and Mum have been working on it almost nonstop since the summer started. Hermione told me about it this morning. It is going to be at Beauxbatons in two weeks. I’m looking forward to it, never been to France before.” Ron started grinning. Harry suspected that his desire to go to France had more to do with the girls than the wedding.


“So, where is everyone?” Harry asked. He had never seen the house--or at least the kitchen--so empty, especially during lunchtime.


“This is it, mate; most everyone is at work or doing Order stuff. Fred and George popped by earlier but they went back to the shop. They are going to Hogsmeade tomorrow to start setting up the new store. Ginny is studying, been at it all day. She got an owl from the Wizarding Examinations Authority stating that she was to take her O.W.L.s (since they didn’t have them after Dumbledore’s funeral) during the week of August eleventh-- her birthday no less-- and she just freaked out. I think Hermione made out a study schedule for her, which means we won’t be seeing much of her,” Ron said.


Harry had just realized that Ron knew he had broken up with Ginny. He was surprised that Ron hadn’t tried to take his head off over it. “Ron, when did you know about Ginny and me?”


Ron gave Harry a serious look. “When Dumbledore died. I figured you would blame yourself and try to push her away, thinking that you would be protecting her. I was surprised that you waited as long as you did to do it, but I knew it was coming. I don’t agree with it, but it is your decision to make, and your heart is in the right place-- even if your head is a bit out of whack.” Ron then turned back to his sandwich.


Harry just gaped at his friend. Who had replaced his oblivious friend, who had the emotional range of a Flobberworm, with this person? He shook his head and was about to say something when Ron started again.


“What? I’m not allowed to be insightful or anything? I have lived with you for six years, mate; I know how you think.”


Ron finished speaking and reached for another sandwich as the kitchen door opened again. Ginny walked in, looked around and saw Harry. She seemed tired, but also had a determined look in her eye-- the same look she’d had when Harry had kissed her after the Quidditch match. She walked in and leaned down to speak in Harry’s ear. “Can we talk for a second?” she asked. Her breath in Harry’s ear and down his neck caused goose bumps to rise on his arms.


“Yeah,” he said and started to get up.


They walked back to the study where he had been napping before. Ginny stood in the middle of the room, which was quite warm; Harry actually started to sweat. He was not at all sure what he expected. Was she going to yell at him or tell him to just stay out of her life? He was ready, however, to accept the consequences, whatever they might be.


“Okay, Harry, here is the deal,” she started without preamble. “I have cared about you for a very long time. You think that breaking up with me is going to protect me, and I know that I won’t be able to convince you otherwise, so I accept it. I can accept not being your girlfriend, but we ARE going to remain friends. We ARE going to work together, play Quidditch together, and eventually defeat You-Know…V-Voldemort together. We all have a role to play in this war, and you not going to shut me out of your life.”


Harry stared at her, thinking about how beautiful she was, how amazing her determination to see him through all this was. “Okay, thanks, Gin,” he replied with a small grin.


“Good, now give me a hand will you? I need help with my Defense Against the Dark Arts notes. Did you hear I have to take O.W.L.s on my birthday?” she asked, softening her demeanor considerably.


“Yeah, sorry to hear that, but don’t worry, you will do outstanding,” Harry said, grinning. Ginny just rolled her eyes at the pun and walked over to where her books were already sitting on the desk.


They spent the rest of the day working, and by evening they felt as comfortable with each other as ever. As Harry went to bed, he was thinking about Ginny. Friends for now, maybe more later, he thought as he drifted off to the best night’s sleep he’d had in weeks.
++++++++


A/N I have to thank my Beta JenC, and prebetas Kerrbear, and Cableguysmom for there help. If not for them this story would be unreadable. Thanks ladies. We are now finished with introduction stuff so the story will start moving a faster now. As always reviews are greatly appreciated. I don’t know what you like or don’t like if you don’t let me know.
And It Begins by ckwright51
The morning sun streamed into Harry’s bedroom at number twelve, Grimmauld Place. Harry groggily sat up, wondering what time it was. He’d slept better than he had since Dumbledore’s death, including the times he’d taken a Dreamless Sleep Potion. He stiffly rolled out of bed, stretched, and reached for his glasses. Putting them on, he was surprised to see that the clock on the bedside table read 8:21. Wow, he had really slept late. The bed on the other side of the room was empty. Ron was up before him? It wasn’t Christmas Day, so this was a first.


Harry got up, grabbed his towel, put on his robe and walked toward the door, hoping to catch a shower before starting his training. Stepping out into the hall, he saw Ginny walking into the bathroom ahead of him, towel in hand. He would have to take a shower after training. Smiling to himself, he tossed the towel back onto his bed, got dressed and went downstairs.


The delicious fragrance of bacon being prepared and coffee being brewed enveloped him as he entered the kitchen. He had never really liked coffee--until O.W.L.s came along; then he found out just how wonderful a drink it was. He saw Hermione and a groggy-looking Ron sitting at the table, talking quietly to each other.


“Ron, you have to wake up; you said you wanted to go with me this morning, and you knew that we would have to be up early,” Hermione was saying.


“I know, but why did you need to wake me up so early? I mean, we’ve just been sitting here for half an hour; think of all the sleep I could have gotten,” Ron complained, dishing a spoonful of eggs onto his plate.


“I know, but you are always in such a bad mood when you don’t eat, and I didn’t know if your mum would be here to make breakfast or if I was going to have to.” Hermione smiled at Mrs. Weasley, who had indeed been present to provide breakfast that morning and was in the process of getting another batch of eggs going. “Thanks again, Mrs. Weasley, but you really should let me help you with that.”


“No, no, dear, I am happy to take care of it,” Mrs. Weasley proclaimed. She was not the type of woman who gave up space in her kitchen easily.


“So where are you two off to this morning?” Harry asked, smiling mischievously. He had been thinking that something was going on between his friends ever since the funeral, but they had yet to confide anything to him.


They both looked up, startled. “Oh, we--uh--we…we’re going to Hogwarts. I have to meet with Professor McGonagall,” Hermione stuttered.


“Yeah, and I thought since you were training all day that I would go with her. No point in just sitting around here with nothing to do,” Ron said calmly, although his ears had turned a bit pink while he was speaking.


“Well, sorry to disappoint you, mate, but you’re training with me today. Wait, how did you know that I was training all day?” Harry asked, wondering if everything about his life was open for all to know.


“Mum told me last night. She said you had to train with Mad-Eye in the morning and Dumbledore in the afternoon,” Ron said, looking from Harry to his mother. “So why do I have to train with you?”


“Don’t know; I suppose if you are going to be around me you need to know how to protect yourself. Moody told me yesterday that you, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and even Luna are each going to train with me once a week,” Harry said, as Hermione and Ron exchanged meaningful glances. “What?” he asked, feeling like he was the last one in on a joke.


Hermione quickly got to her feet. “Well, I guess I am going alone, so I will see you all later,” she said, walking over to the fireplace. “Hogwarts, Professor McGonagall’s office,” she announced as she tossed the Floo powder into the fire. In a flash of green flame she was gone.


“So when do we get started?” Ron asked, perking up at the thought of getting to train with Harry.


“At nine: we meet Moody in the library, but I don’t know where we are going to train,” Harry replied. He sat at the table and began loading a plate with bacon and eggs. Mrs. Weasley walked over with a cup of coffee and set it beside his plate. He took the cup gratefully and looked up at Mrs. Weasley. “Thanks,” he said smiling. He liked being mothered like this. When he was stressed or injured or had just lost someone important to him, Mrs. Weasley could be a bit overzealous, but at moments like these, she made him feel like part of the family; he felt normal when she did these little things, like fixing his breakfast or attempting to fix his hair. “So what are you up today, Mrs. Weasley?”


“Oh, my, Ginny and I are going to Diagon Alley to pick up her bridesmaid dress for the wedding,” Mrs. Weasley beamed. She had certainly made her peace with Fleur after Bill had been injured, and her face broke into a huge smile every time the wedding was mentioned.


“Bridesmaid dress?” Harry asked, slightly confused. “But Ginny doesn’t even really know Phle…Fleur,” he said, catching himself just before saying Phlegm.


“Yes, dear, but it is an old wizard tradition that the bride gets to pick one of the groomsmen and the groom gets to pick one of the bridesmaids. Bill wanted Ginny to be in the wedding, and Fleur wanted you to be in it,” she said, and noticing that Harry’s eyes had grown wide with shock, continued, “Harry, didn’t Ron tell you?”


Ron was biting his cheek to keep from laughing. “Oh, yeah, forgot about that; Bill sent me an owl a couple of days ago to tell you. Must have slipped my mind,” he said, failing miserably to hide his amusement at his friend’s embarrassment.


“Thanks a lot, mate; remind me to return the favor someday,” Harry spat. “So what do I wear; what do I do? I have never even been to a wedding, much less been in one.”


“Not to worry, dear, I will pick up the dress robes you will be wearing while I am in town. I’ve seen them already and they are wonderful. Just let me measure you quickly,” she said, beckoning Harry to stand up. “You, Ronald Weasley, should be ashamed of yourself for not mentioning it to Harry.”


“Not mentioning what to Harry?” Ginny asked as she walked into the kitchen. Her hair was tied back in a simple pony tail and she was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.


The beast in Harry’s chest began to stir again as he watched her sit at the table and begin to assemble her breakfast.


“Your brother failed to inform Harry that he was asked to be in the wedding,” Mrs. Weasley answered, glaring at an unrepentant Ron.


“Harry is going to be in the wedding?” A slight tinge of pink brushed Ginny’s cheeks. “I didn’t know Bill was going to ask him.”


“It wasn’t Bill; Fleur wants him to be in it,” Mrs. Weasley said, measuring Harry for his new robes.


Ginny scowled down at her breakfast and turned crimson.


“Harry, Madam Malkin can go from these measurements, but you may need to go to Diagon Alley at some point if the robes need to be altered,” Mrs. Weasley explained, returning the tape to its drawer.


“That’s fine, Mrs. Weasley… um, how much money do I need to give you for the robes?”


“Don’t worry about that, dear. Fleur pays for your robes. She has already taken care of it,” Mrs. Weasley assured him. “Now, you two had better head to the library; it is already past nine and Alastor will not want to be kept waiting.”


Both young men got up to leave. “Have fun you two,” Ginny called. The scowl was replaced by a small smile, but there was still a touch of red in her checks. Ron nodded and walked out. Harry blushed a bit at seeing her reaction to Fleur’s invitation, feeling the monster in his chest give a sort of growl, and then he quickly followed Ron out the door.


They walked into the library and found not only Alastor Moody, but the twins waiting for them as well. Fred and George were dressed in matching scarlet pants and shirts. They both wore burgundy wizard hats, which clashed horribly with their flame-red hair. “It is about time you two. Come on, let’s get to it. Today you will be dueling with Fred and George here. I warn you all now, take this seriously. A lot of lives are at stake in this war.


“We know that, Mad-Eye,” Fred said, taking out his wand and flexing it above his head.


“We just hope that little Ronniekins can handle himself properly,” George stated, looking at Ron with a grin.

Ron didn’t flinch. “All right you two, enough with the little Ronniekins stuff.” He pulled out his wand, as did Harry, and began walking around the room.


“Hold on a minute,” Moody called. He flicked his wand and muttered an incantation. The walls expanded until the room was more than three times its original size, providing ample space in which to maneuver. “That looks better,” he said. “Wands at the ready and off you go.”


“Expelliarmus!” Harry shouted as he moved towards Fred, who smiled as the spell bounced off his shield. He fired a Jelly-Legs Jinx at Harry. Harry launched himself behind a chair, avoiding the jinx and firing his own.


Ron was kneeling behind an armchair on the other side of the library, panting, and firing hex after hex at George, who stood there merrily as each curse simply bounced off his shield. “Where did they learn to conjure such strong shields, Harry? They aren’t even using their wands, and I can’t make a dent--” Both boys’ eyes widened in understanding.


“They’re wearing Shield Hats!” they exclaimed at the same time.


“Ah, it seems they are brighter than we gave them credit for,” one of the twins said.


“Only took them ten minutes to figure it out. I think you owe me five Galleons,” said the other.


Ron and Harry looked at each other and nodded. Together, they stood and fired Bludgeoning Curses at the twins--not at their chests, where they’d been aiming before and getting nowhere, but instead at their feet, where there was no shield protection. The twins immediately had their legs knocked from underneath them and toppled to the ground.


“Accio hat!” Ron and Harry yelled simultaneously. The hats sprung from the twins’ heads and flew into their waiting hands. They put them on and smiled at each other.


“Nice hat,” Harry said, looking at his friend.


“You too, Harry. Hey, how did you know to do that?” Ron asked. “I was thinking about it, and then we both just did it.”


“Don’t know… guess great minds think alike,” Harry replied, grinning at the twins as they gingerly got back to their feet.


“Play time’s over,” Fred declared, suddenly very serious.


“Yep, let’s go,” George agreed and the battle resumed in earnest.
+++++


Just before lunch, Mrs. Weasley, followed by Ginny, emerged from the fireplace, each with a package under her arm. As Mrs. Weasley set her package on the table, the door to the kitchen swung open. A battered Ron limped in, holding a towel on his left arm. Blood was dripping from a long gash on his forearm. Harry followed him, his t-shirt torn in several places and blood tricking out of a scrape on his chest. He too walked with a limp, albeit on the other leg. They were both laughing.


Mrs. Weasley screamed and her hand flew to her mouth as she took in the injuries. Ginny dropped the package she was carrying and quickly pulled her wand out, ready to fight, afraid that Death Eaters had found a way into the house. Harry and Ron were startled out of their laughter by the scream and were even more surprised to see Ginny with her wand drawn, pointing at each of them in turn.


“What happened?” Mrs. Weasley cried.


Ron again began to laugh, but Harry nodded reassuringly at Mrs. Weasley. “We’re all right; nothing is wrong,” he said, feeling bad for scaring them like this. “Ginny, put your wand away. There are no Death Eaters here; we just finished training and haven’t had a chance to get cleaned up, or have some of these looked at,” he explained, pointing at Ron’s arm.


“This is from training?” Mrs. Weasley asked incredulously. “What is Alastor thinking?” She immediately went to Ron and started healing the wounds on his arms.


“It’s okay, Mum; you should see the other guys,” he said, starting to laugh again. “Actually, you should probably go and check on them first. I don’t think Mad-Eye has much of a bedside manner.”


The kitchen door swung open and Moody came in with Fred and George in tow. The twins looked like they each had gone twelve rounds with a boxing champion. Fred could hardly stand and George was dragging his right leg behind him; it seemed that the leg simply did not want to move.


Mrs. Weasley screamed again and rushed to deal with the twins’ injuries.


After twenty minutes, all of the injuries were taken care of. While they looked pretty bad, they were all superficial, so Mrs. Weasley was able to quickly heal them.


“Harry, Ron, that was amazing,” Fred said, shaking his head.


“Yeah, I have never seen anything like that before. You two seemed to work as one in there. Did you use hand signals or something?” George asked, bending his right leg back and forth, happy to be able to move it again.


“No, we just work well together. Guess it is all those years of living and studying together,” Ron said, his chest swelling with pride at the praise coming from his older siblings.


Lunch was spent telling Ginny and Mrs. Weasley how the training had gone-- how at every turn Ron and Harry seemed to be one step ahead of the twins.


Soon lunch was over, and the twins prepared to head back to their shop. “Nice work today, Harry…you too, Ron.” They looked at their little brother with newfound respect, causing Ron’s chest to swell with pride once again.


“All right, Harry?” Aberforth asked, walking into the room for the first time. He wore his battered traveling cloak over jeans and a collared shirt. Harry still couldn’t believe that this bartender was Albus Dumbledore’s brother.


“Yes, sir,” he said as he got to his feet.


“Don’t ‘sir’ me, young man. I’m not one of your professors; I work for a living. You can call me Aberforth, or Abe if you like,” he said, gruffly.


Harry grinned. “Yes, sir. I mean yes, Aberforth.”


“Okay, let’s go to the study. It’ll be quieter in there.”


They walked to the study in silence. Harry dreaded facing Occlumency again, although he was heartened by the fact it was not Snape teaching him this time.


Dumbledore sat in one of the squishy armchairs beside the fireplace. He motioned Harry to the other one. “So, how much do you know about Occlumency?” he asked.


“Not much, I think. I mean, I tried to learn it with Snape two years ago, but that didn’t go very well. He said I didn’t have a talent for it,” Harry replied bitterly, remembering the horrible lessons he had had with Snape.


“Yes, well, we all know much more about Severus than we did then, so let’s just see for ourselves how you do. What I want you to do, Harry, is close your eyes, empty your mind and picture a room with solid brick walls around you. Picture the walls, smooth them out, be sure of every detail. Do you have your room?”


Harry nodded. “Yes, sir, I mean yes, Abe.”


“All right, here we go….Legilimens!”


Harry immediately felt pressure build on the walls he had constructed. After a couple of seconds the walls began to crumble and memories started to pass before his eyes.


Celebrating his eleventh birthday in the shack by the sea…Not getting through the barrier in second year… Hermione Petrified…Ginny lying in the Chamber.


As these last images came to mind, Harry pushed back against them. He finally pushed everything out of the room and was able to rebuild the walls.


Harry opened his eyes, panting, and found himself lying on the floor. His head was throbbing.


“Very good, Harry; that was really well done,” Abe said happily. This was the first time Harry had seen the man smile, and he decided that when Abe smiled he looked like a Dumbledore. “I am surprised you managed to push me out so easily. What was it that made you start to fight me?”


“I saw Hermione Petrified and Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets. I don’t know; when I saw them I just wanted you out of my head,” he stated, rubbing his temples.


“Great…okay, ready to try again?” Abe asked.


Harry nodded and got back into his seat. He wasn’t sure if he really was ready to try again, but he had to figure this out.


“Legilimens!”


Harry’s walls stayed up longer this time, but eventually the pressure was too great and the walls crumbled.


Mr. Weasley being attacked….Sirius falling through the veil….Ron being attacked by the brains…. Neville getting his nose broken.


Harry felt a renewed desire to push the presence from his mind. He pushed with all his will, finally managing to rebuild his walls and secure his mind.


Harry opened his eyes, panting once again. He held the arms of the chair he was sitting in so tightly that his knuckles were white. Harry was surprised to see that Abe was panting heavily as well. They looked at each other, trying to catch their breath.


Finally, Abe smiled broadly. “Harry, that was fantastic. You really are every bit as strong as Albus said you were.”


Harry blushed at the praise but was encouraged by it and was quickly ready for another try.


They worked for another hour. Exhaustion threatened to overtake Harry. His head continued to throb, but surprisingly, his scar didn’t hurt at all. He wearily got back to his feet for another go when the door to the study was slammed open.


“Hogwarts is under attack!” Ginny bellowed before running back towards the kitchen.
++++++++


A/N I hope you all enjoyed that one. The story is hopefully starting to pick up its pace. Please leave me a review and tell me what you think.


I have to thank my Beta JenC, and prebetas Kerrbear, and Cableguysmom for there help. If not for them this story would be unreadable. Thanks ladies
Giant Disruptions by ckwright51


Harry landed with a thump just inside the entrance to Hogwarts. He hadn’t expected to return to the school at all, much less this soon, but here he was. He looked at the group of men and women around him. Moody, Dumbledore, and Remus had already started out the door to see where the attack was coming from, with Tonks, Fred and George close on their heels. Ginny stood at Harry’s side, along with Bill and Fleur, who had been at headquarters talking to Mrs. Weasley when the message came through.





Mrs. Weasley had stayed behind to prepare for the wounded, and also to get word of the attack out to the rest of the Order. She had merely nodded at Ginny when Ginny went to grasp the Portkey they’d used to transport themselves to Hogwarts.





“Where do you think Ron and Hermione are?” Harry asked as he started for the door.





“Don’t know…Hermione Floo’d us about the attack, so I assume she is in the headmaster’s--I mean headmistress’s--office. Ron went by Floo, so he is probably there as well,” Ginny stated, following Harry out the front door.





Harry and Ron had entered the kitchen at the same time. Ron, upon hearing that Hogwarts was under attack--and that Hermione was still there--panicked. Before anyone could stop him, he had grabbed a fistful of Floo Powder and raced for the fireplace.





As Harry and Ginny made it out onto the grounds, they saw the bright colors of spells being fired towards the front gates. They ran in that direction and quickly caught up to Remus, who was standing about a hundred yards away from the gates, where no less than forty Death Eaters were attempting to enter.





“They can’t get through; the protective wards on the gates are too strong,” Remus said, smiling. “I thought Voldemort would try something like this. He wants to see if the magic protecting Hogwarts is still strong with Dumbledore de--gone.”





A loud bark sounded behind them and they all turned. Fang was barking at a small group of robed figures coming out of the Forbidden Forest: four Death Eaters had found a way onto the grounds. The ones at the gate also saw their comrades and quickly disappeared. The four Death Eaters who had managed to traverse part of the forest didn’t look like they were up for a fight, but as they saw the oncoming group of Order members; they regained some of their fighting strength and started hurling spells as fast as they could.





The battle began in earnest, with the small contingent of Death Eaters being met head-on by the larger group from the Order. Harry, initially tired from a day of training and Occlumency, felt his adrenaline begin to flow, and his desire to fight was renewed.





He sent a Blasting Curse at one of the Death Eaters, then searched for some cover. Finding very little on the open ground, he fired curse after curse as the Death Eaters took cover behind Hagrid’s hut.





The Order members were exposed, and although they had the numbers advantage, they quickly began to fall back. Remus was hit by a Cutting Curse and let out a howling yell before collapsing. The twins, Shield Hats firmly in place upon their heads, were having better luck, staying close enough to the hut to make effective attacks. The Death Eaters, however, were not pressing their advantage but only holding their ground. It finally occurred to Harry that they were waiting for the rest of their group”the ones who had been at the gate. When they arrived, the Order would be outnumbered four to one. This was not a good situation.





For several minutes the battle continued, the Death Eaters staying behind their cover and firing spells, the Order attempting to get a clear shot, but not having any real effect. Moody went down after being hit by a spell Harry hadn’t seen before. He was lifted into the air and then unceremoniously dropped to the earth. He didn’t stir. Ron and Hermione joined the battle, Ron positioning himself behind a hedge with Harry, while Hermione moved about fifty yards to the left with Ginny, behind one of the Herbology greenhouses. They found that they were no more effective than the rest. They just couldn’t get close enough to get a clear shot at the Death Eaters. Then, they saw movement in the foliage behind Hagrid’s cabin. Eighteen more Death Eaters appeared, taking up position around the hut. Harry was surprised that so few hooded figures emerged from the Forbidden Forest.





Emboldened by the arrival of some of their comrades, the Death Eaters began to advance. This allowed them to take better aim at the Order, but also allowed the Order a chance to get a clear shot at them.





“They should have stayed where they were; they could have taken us out one by one,” Ron whispered to Harry as they crouched behind the hedge.





“Yeah, I was just thinking that,” Harry responded before firing a Stunner at one of the Death Eaters. “It doesn’t matter though; there are too many of them for us to take out before they reach the school, even if they don’t have much cover.”





Harry was about to fire again when two large figures erupted from the forest behind the Death Eaters: it was Hagrid and Grawp, eyes blazing, ready to fight. Hagrid had blood dripping from several cuts on his face, and his moleskin coat was torn. Grawp too was bleeding, from his arm, but he continued to barrel towards the Death Eaters.





Now it was the Order’s turn to become emboldened by the arrival of allies. They quickly began attacking the remaining Death Eaters, taking down three before the Death Eaters realized that they were now being attacked on two fronts. A crossbow bolt struck the leg of one of the Death Eaters in the back of the formation. He yelped in pain and fell to the ground.





Grawp picked up another and was squeezing the life out of him. Harry watched as the Death Eaters were overwhelmed by his friend and Grawp. A loud scream brought his attention back to the other side of the battle; he turned and saw Hermione clutching at her eyes. Ginny was holding her and trying to get her to pull her hands away from her face.





Ron howled in rage at seeing Hermione injured and jumped up from his spot behind the hedge. Firing spell after spell, he slowly made his way towards the group of Death Eaters. He was hit by a Bludgeoning Curse and thrown off his feet, but got up quickly, panting as he continued forward.





Harry came up behind him, trying to cover his friend, who had now lost all sense of safety. He shot a Stunner at a Death Eater who was training his wand on Ron, hitting the hooded figure squarely in the chest.



The remaining three Death Eaters knew the battle was over and attempted to make a break for the forest. One made it, but the other two were caught, snatched up in Grawp’s firm grasp.





McGonagall raced down the front steps with Madam Pomfrey close on her heels. She quickly took in the situation.





“Poppy, go and check on Remus and Alastor,” McGonagall ordered, pointing towards Lupin, who was slowly starting to stir on the ground where he lay. Tonks was cradling his head in her hands. She wasn’t smiling, but she wasn’t sobbing hysterically either, so Harry thought Remus must be okay.





Harry needed to check on Hermione; he turned and started towards her. Ron was already there, standing over her and Ginny, who was smiling as Hermione lay on the ground, trying desperately to keep her hands at her sides. Ron was red in the face; his anger that someone had hurt Hermione was boiling over even now.





“All right there, Hermione?” Harry asked tentatively. He could tell by Ginny’s grin that whatever had happened was not life threatening, and he breathed a sigh of relief knowing that his friend was all right.





“Well, yes and no,” Hermione stated through gritted teeth, her eyes clamped shut. “I got hit with a Conjunctivitis Curse. Who uses one of those in a battle?”





“Ron, are you all right?” Harry asked Ron, who appeared ready to explode. He was trembling slightly as he looked from Hermione to the Death Eaters who were being rounded up by Ministry Aurors.





“No, I am not all right,” Ron growled. “Hermione got hurt, we all could have been killed and the stupid Ministry is just now showing up to clean up. I don’t even know which one hit her.”





Hermione reached up, eyes still closed, and patted him on the thigh just above the knee. “I’m fine, Ron. Everything is all right,” she said, smiling despite the discomfort she was feeling.





Madam Pomfrey finally made it over to check on Hermione, used the counter-curse and quickly bustled off to help get Moody, who was still unconscious, up to the hospital wing.

+++++++





Several hours later, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were sitting in comfortable armchairs in the study at headquarters, as relaxed as they could be after a battle with Death Eaters at their school.





“The Ministry took nine Death Eaters into custody, ten were killed, and the rest escaped,” Ginny said, breaking the silence. “Most of the dead Death Eaters were killed trying to get through the Forbidden Forest. Guess they won’t try that path again. Hermione, how are your eyes feeling?”





“The redness will go away in a couple of days, but the itching has stopped. I’m glad it was nothing worse, though. I still can’t believe that a Death Eater would waste time with such a stupid curse in a battle.





“Yeah, they’re supposed to be killers, not make you slightly uncomfortable--ers,” Ginny replied, smiling at the awkwardness of the sentence.





“It’s a good thing it wasn’t something worse; I thought Ron was going to start throwing Unforgivables at them when he saw you go down,” Harry said, smirking at Ron. Ron, however, was in no mood for this type of teasing; he just grumbled in his chair and stared at the fire. “Anyway, I don’t think those were Voldemort’s main Death Eaters. More likely they were some new recruits--people that he doesn’t mind throwing away.





Ginny shrugged her shoulders, glancing at Ron then back at Hermione. “So, do you think Malfoy was with them? I mean, he might be willing to use that silly curse in battle, don’t you think?”





“Maybe, but they didn’t identify him with the rest of the Death Eaters. If he was with them, he got away. Stupid git,” Harry said bitterly. The image of Snape and Malfoy disappearing just outside the Hogwarts gates flashed into this mind. “Well, that’s it for me; I am going to bed. Hermione, you’re training with me in the morning, if you feel up to it.”





“Oh, I’ll be fine, but I think I’ll be off to bed as well,” she said, shooting a quick glance at Ginny.





“Yeah, me too,” Ginny said, getting to her feet.





Hermione stretched and walked towards the door. “You going to bed anytime soon, Ron?” she called out.





“No, I’m too wound up to sleep. I think I will go and see if there is any food left,” he said with the first hint of a smile on his face. Food always did make Ron feel better.





“Goodnight then,” she said, smiling back at him as she left the room.





“Ron, when are you going to tell her how you feel?” Harry asked, giving his friend his best fatherly look.





“It’s not that easy,” Ron replied, sitting back down in the chair. “What if we don’t make it--what if we decide we don’t want to be together? I mean, if we started going out and then broke up, do you think we could still be friends?”





“Sure--well, ah, no, I guess that would probably be really hard,” Harry conceded, thinking of how well things had worked out being around Cho after their disastrous date. “But that doesn’t mean that you and Hermione won’t stay together. You guys are made for each other, aren’t you?”





“I don’t know, Harry. I don’t know if I can risk our friendship over it.”





“Well, I think you should…and if you don’t soon, someone else may come along and take her away from you,” Harry advised as he walked out the door.

++++++++



A/N: I hope you all liked this first taste of action in this story. More will certainly be coming. I am really hoping for more reviews then I have been getting. Remember, I love to hear what you think of the story and any ideas about what you think is going to happen will be wonderful. I have been and will be leaving little hints about future plot points, in the text, if you find them. Some are more obvious then others. Let me know what you think.





Once again I need to thank both my pre betas, Kerrbear and Cableguysmom. I huge major thanks goes to my beta, JenC, for getting chapter together. It was a mess until she worked with it. THANKS!!!





Up next, a wedding and another evil Cliffhanger bwahhh!!!


Till Death Do Us Part by ckwright51
Disclaimer: I don't own any of this.
+++++


Harry stepped into the study on Friday morning feeling very nervous. The “normalcy” that he had experienced with Ginny just a few days before had now become little more than awkward silences. Granted, they had not really seen much of each other--she was studying for her upcoming O.W.L.s, and he was spending most of his time either training or practicing Occlumency.


Ron and Hermione had started spending their afternoons in the garden. Neither was willing to tell him what they were up to; they only said they were exploring some possibilities for the upcoming year. Harry suspected that Ron had finally made his feelings known and that they were “exploring” other things, but he kept his opinion to himself.


Training had been going extremely well. He had now worked with Hermione, Neville, and Luna. Each time, the dueling practice had gone very well, with Harry and his partner winning far more times than they’d been defeated.


The odd thing to Harry was that the sessions were completely different each time. When he had worked with Hermione, he’d used an obscure spell--one that he hardly remembered ever reading about or even hearing in passing--to defeat Tonks and Shacklebolt.


In their duel against Remus and Bill, he and Neville had surprised their opponents by simply overpowering them with spells, never even seeking cover for protection. They certainly took their fair share of bumps and bruises in that particular duel, but they had come out on top.


“Sheer bravado you two, that was all that was,” Moody had growled when they defeated Bill and Remus for the third time in a row using the ‘charge down the canons approach.’ “Bravado is good, but if it is mindless then it can get you killed.”


“Bravado sound a lot like courage, Neville; you did great in there,” Harry had proclaimed as they walked towards the kitchen.


The duel with Luna was certainly the strangest of those he’d had that week. Harry had found it very hard to focus on what he was doing. Random thoughts about Ginny, or a Potions essay, kept leaping into his head, and just as quickly leapt back out. He’d found, however, that his moves were less predictable and although he was not as focused on the task at hand as when dueling with the others, he’d often been able to catch his opponents off guard by doing the unexpected.


Today, however, was a different day entirely. Today he would have to duel with Ginny as his partner. He felt more nervous than he had in a while.


This is stupid. I’ve faced Death Eaters and Voldemort himself. Why am I so nervous? he wondered.


The study was still magically expanded to make more room for dueling. The furniture, which had been repaired countless times, was still sitting in its usual places: four chairs by the fireplace, a couch against the far wall, and a desk in front of a window that had been enchanted not to break.


Tonks and Remus stood beside the desk talking quietly as they waited for Harry and Ginny to arrive.


“Wotcher, Harry,” Tonks said, smiling as Harry entered the room. “Where’s Ginny?”


“Right here…sorry I’m late…overslept,” came a voice from just outside the room. Ginny entered the study, stifling a yawn and shaking her head back and forth. “Didn’t sleep well last night.”


Harry caught the scent of fresh flowers, and his stomach did a flip. He watched her as she walked into the middle of the room and greeted Tonks and Remus warmly.


“Everything all right?” Remus asked, glancing quickly over to Harry.


“Oh yes, just too tired to sleep, I think. I have been studying so much I think my brain is going to explode,” she replied, catching the direction of the glance but not turning to look at Harry. “Are we ready?”


She walked back to stand at Harry’s side, drawing out her wand.


“Let’s go,” Tonks answered, drawing her wand and sending a Stunner at Harry.


Harry was quicker than Tonks had anticipated and easily blocked the spell.


The battle went on in earnest for the next hour. The duels were evenly split between Remus and Tonks winning and Harry and Ginny winning. This was very disconcerting to Harry, because in the other sessions, he and his partner had always had far more wins than losses.


The problem today was that Harry was again having trouble focusing on the duel. He was slow in his response to spells, made some dreadful tactical errors and found himself on the receiving end of more curses than he had in all of the previous training sessions combined. By the end of the first hour, he was exhausted, feeling the effects of multiple curses and hexes.


“Ahhh!” he yelled in exasperation after being Petrified for the third time in as many duels. “Why am I rubbish today?”


“Because you aren’t concentrating on what you are doing, Harry,” Ginny barked at him from behind one of the chairs. “You keep glancing over at me instead of focusing on your opponent! Stop trying to look out for me and just fight, okay.”


Her voice was hard, but Harry could see a bit of pleading in her eyes. He nodded, confused by the pleading look, and got ready to start again.

The duels began again, with Harry and Ginny winning more often now. Harry had finally relaxed somewhat, although he didn’t really know why, and his judgment and focus were better. He was still catching himself looking over at Ginny during the duels but seemed to be doing so less often than he had been.


Close to an hour later, the battles were still raging in the study. Harry sent a Jelly-Legs Jinx towards Tonks, causing her to loss her balance and fall behind the desk. He shot a quick glance over at Ginny and saw her dueling with Remus. Remus’ wand shot out purple smoke that was moving towards Ginny.


“PROTEGO!” Harry shouted wildly, attempting to shield Ginny from the smoke. The shield deflected the spell away from Ginny just after she had ducked safely behind the chair.


“Expelliarmus!” Tonks called out from the behind the desk. Harry was hit, knocked back into the wall; he collapsed on the floor, his wand flying out of his hand. He quickly started to get up, but a hand pushed him back down to the floor.


“STOP TRYING TO PROTECT ME, HARRY! YOU’LL END UP GETTING US BOTH KILLED!” Ginny yelled down at him before turning on her heel and storming out of the room.


Harry got to his feet, an angry reply forming in his mind.


“Silencio.”


He opened his mouth and nothing came out. He started to work his mouth up and down, trying to figure out why he couldn’t speak. Confused as to why someone had silenced him, and growing even angrier than before, he whirled around and glared at Remus and Tonks.


“Tonks did that so you wouldn’t say anything you might regret later, Harry,” Remus explained, stepping between Harry and Tonks. “You need to learn that she can take care of herself.”


Harry was furious, opening and closing his mouth but unable to make a sound.


“Calm down, Harry; I won’t remove the curse until you do,” Tonks growled at him.


After several minutes of Harry glaring at them both, he finally gave up and slumped into one of the armchairs.


Tonks walked over and performed the counter-curse on Harry. “There…now listen. I know you are trying to be noble and everything. I have seen it all before.” She glared over at Remus, who put his hands up in surrender. “But you have to understand, Harry, Ginny is part of this fight, whether you like it or not. She is with you to the end, just like we all are. You can’t shield her from every danger. Molly finally understands that, why can’t you?”


“I just saw that spell--it looked the one that got Hermione in the Ministry--and I panicked,” Harry explained, his anger deflating, replaced by anguish over having really fouled things up with Ginny.


Remus placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder in a fatherly way. “Harry, the best way to protect Ginny and all those that you care for is to defeat Voldemort. That means staying focused on the task at hand and letting us help you in any way we can. Ginny wants to help, and she doesn’t need you to watch out for her.”


“I’ve got to head to my room,” Harry declared, getting up from the chair. “I have to practice Occlumency for a while before Abe gets here. Thanks.” He started for the door, smiling weakly at Remus.


“Abe won’t be here today, Harry, remember? We have a wedding to go to,” Tonks reminded him.


“What? That is not ‘til tomorrow. Why do we need to be there today?” Harry asked, confused.


“For the rehearsal. You and Ginny are in the wedding, and Molly and Arthur have roles as well; we are all going to go today. We are staying at Beauxbatons tonight for the wedding in the morning,” Tonks said, smiling at the thought of the wedding.


Harry walked out of the room without reply. He was feeling miserable and had no desire to go to this wedding, much less be in it. He stalked up to his room.


“Like Dean?” came Hermione’s voice from inside Ginny’s room just as Harry walked by.



“I don’t know, but it was just so frustrating,” came Ginny’s voice from behind the closed door.
“When is he going to understand…” was all that Harry heard before he slammed his bedroom door behind him.

++++++

Saturday morning dawned bright and warm at the Beauxbatons Palace in southern France. They had arrived via Portkey late Friday afternoon and were quickly shown to their rooms inside the castle dormitories. Each dorm had its own name and significance, but the history behind Beauxbatons was a mystery to Harry, and he didn’t care to learn it now.


The Beauxbatons dining chamber was not as large as the Great Hall at Hogwarts. It had windows surrounding the room, with a large stonework fireplace built on the far end. Huge wooden beams supported the ceiling. It was a beautiful sight.


Hermione sat down beside Ron at the breakfast table, with Harry sitting opposite them. “This is incredible,” she proclaimed.


“Been reading Beauxbatons, A History, have we?” Ron smirked as he loaded more eggs onto his plate.


“No,” she replied smacking him on the arm. “I just realized I’ve been here before.”

Harry and Ron looked at each other in confusion.


“When my parents took me to France a couple of years ago, we came to this very palace. We took a tour and everything. It just looked like a ruin then. It must be enchanted to look like that to anyone who is not supposed to see what it really is,” she said in a rush.


“Well, it is a pretty nice place, if I do say so myself,” Ron intoned, grinning as he watched two very pretty blonde girls saunter into the hall. “Recon those are Fleur’s sisters?”


“Ronald, honestly, when are you going to stop looking at girls like they’re pieces of meat?” Hermione asked, glaring from the girls to Ron and back.


“Not pieces of meat, Hermione, just attractive. Right, Harry?” Ron retorted, smiling at Harry.


“Yeah, Ron, whatever you say,” Harry answered absently. He was not looking at the girls who had just entered the room. He had just noticed Ginny leaving and was watching her walk out the door.


“You two are unbelievable,” Hermione proclaimed in exasperation. She got up and left the table, hardly touching her breakfast. “Boys are stupid,” she mumbled as she walked out.


“What did we do?” Ron asked, going for a sixth slice of bacon.


“She’s right, you know; we are pretty stupid,” Harry said, ignoring Ron’s question.


“Yeah, well, if boys are stupid, then girls are just--just insane,” Ron spoke defiantly, taking another piece of toast.


Harry merely shrugged. He soon got up and left to get ready for the ceremony.

++++++


The wedding was held outside, on the grounds overlooking a beautiful lake. Harry discovered that Fleur’s family was very well-connected: most of the top members of French wizarding society were in attendance, as well as delegations from Belgium, Germany, England and even the United States. The French Minister of Magic was even on hand to perform the ceremony.


The music began and the attendants proceeded up the aisle. Harry walked with Cosette Delacour, Fleur’s older sister. She was just as beautiful as Fleur, and carried herself with an amazing amount of style and class. They walked arm in arm, stepping in rhythm to the music. Cosette had to lead, as Harry kept trying to walk either too fast or too slow. He was nervous and really just wanted this to be over with.


At the altar, Harry turned towards Cosette, his cheeks burning red, and kissed her hand before they parted, as each couple had been told to do. They went their separate ways and took their places for the wedding.


Harry turned just in time to see Ginny walking up the aisle with Adrian Gogan. Harry and Ginny had both been introduced to him the night before. He was a tall blond who was a direct descendant of Louis XI. He seemed quite pompous to Harry, but Ginny seemed to find him most interesting at the rehearsal.


Now she walked arm in arm with him, smiling as she came up the aisle. Harry’s cheeks burned even more as Adrian bent over and kissed Ginny’s hand, lingering longer over the gesture than Harry had. The beast in his chest began to growl as he noticed Ginny blushing and smiling at the handsome young man in front of her.


The rest of the wedding party came in, and the French Minister began the ceremony. He pulled out his wand and cast a charm over the entire crowd, which was very large. Then, to Harry’s amazement, he began to speak in perfectly understandable English. Harry had been expecting French, or at least the heavy French accent he had heard from Fleur so often.


As the ceremony progressed, Harry could not take his eyes off Ginny. If he didn’t know better, he would have been sure she was part veela. She wore the same dress that the other bridesmaids wore, but she stood out. Her flaming red hair, compared to all the blondes standing next to her, made her completely unique. The dress accentuated her petite body in ways that robes never could.


Here I am at a wedding with part veela standing everywhere, and I can’t take my eyes off the normal girl, Harry thought, smirking slightly. He couldn’t help staring; she was just so stunningly beautiful.


Harry saw her turn her head slightly, not making eye contact with him. She winked, and grinned. The monster in Harry’s chest began to purr contentedly, then growled as Ginny turned red and returned her eyes to the Minister. Harry glanced quickly and saw Adrian grinning, a tinge of red creeping into his cheeks.


She winked at him? Bitterness filled Harry’s heart. She winked at that pompous git. I must have really lost her. I am the new Dean Thomas.


The ceremony ended, and a very depressed Harry recessed down the aisle with Cosette on his arm. He hardly even noticed her presence. His heart was breaking and his stomach doing flips.

+++++


“Mr. Marius and Mrs. Eponine de Chagny,” announced the usher at the door. Each dignitary was announced as they entered the Great Hall for the reception.


“Mr. Hans and Mrs. Helga Knodal of Germany.”


The wedding party, all except the bride and groom, had been announced first and were now seated at the head table, men on the right, ladies on the left. They watched as the rest of the dignitaries made their entrances.


“Mr. Johan and Mrs. Elizabeth Dillahay of Belgium.”


Harry watched with little interest as the delegations and guests entered. He was never one for seeking the limelight, but didn’t care about how others felt about it. He figured each of the people being announced were important in their own ways but could not bring himself to find them interesting.


“Mr. William and Mrs. Carolyn Fagan of the United States of America.”


Harry glanced down the table. He could see Ginny watching the guests enter the dining chamber. She wore the same bored expression that he believed he had. She was not one to be impressed with the trappings of power and fame. That was one of the things that Harry liked about her. She never saw him as the Boy-Who-Lived. He was always just Harry. Well, for a few short weeks I was more to her, but that seems to be over now, he thought bitterly.


“Mr. Quinton and Mrs. Kristina White from the United States of America.”


There had been a faint smattering of applause with each new announcement of an incoming guest. However, as the Whites entered, followed by a young girl of perhaps fifteen or sixteen, there was a much larger round of applause.


“The delegation from England’s Ministry of Magic.”


Harry looked up and saw some familiar faces. Rufus Scrimgeour walked in next to a woman who must have been his wife. Percy was directly behind him, walking with a girl Harry didn’t recognize. Behind Percy and his date, walking alone, was Cho Chang. She caught sight of Harry and offered a huge smile. Harry turned pink and quickly looked away. He noticed that Ginny was glaring at Cho. Harry tried to look anywhere but towards the door.


“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to announce the arrival of Mr. William and Mrs. Fleur Weasley.”


The crowd broke into applause as Bill and Fleur walked into the reception. Fleur looked wonderful in her white wedding gown, with her long blonde hair pinned up on top of her head. Her veil was pulled back; it was fluttering in the air as she walked. She looked every bit the beautiful bride that she was.


Bill wore a black morning coat with white vest and tie, his red hair in its usual ponytail. The Dragon tooth earring had been replaced for the day with a diamond stud. The scars on his face gave him a rugged appearance that enhanced his looks rather than detracting from them. Harry thought he looked like a secret agent from a Muggle spy movie he had once seen.


The bride and groom walked in and the music began almost immediately. They danced the first dance, and then the wedding party was invited to join in. Harry would have preferred to remain seated, but he had been instructed in no uncertain terms that he was to dance with rest of the wedding party for the first dance.


All of the couples took their places on the dance floor and began to dance. Harry kept glancing over to see Ginny dancing with Adrian. She was smiling as they twirled around the dance floor. The beast in Harry’s chest was beginning to grow impatient. Finally the music stopped, and he headed for the sanctuary of Ron and Hermione’s table, leaving a somewhat confused Cosette standing alone on the dance floor.


Harry sat heavily into a chair beside Ron.


“Harry, wasn’t that an absolutely beautiful wedding?” Hermione gushed.


“Yeah, great,” he mumbled distractedly as he watched Ginny walk back over to the head table. Adrian was now dancing with Cosette.


“The ceremony was wonderful; who knew they would use an Evidentia charm? Harry, you looked wonderful in your robes and Bill looked amazing. Fleur was so beautiful. It was all just wonderful,” Hermione continued to gush, smiling broadly at the sight of Bill and Fleur dancing.


“The what charm?” Ron asked.


“The Evidentia charm,” came an American-accented voice from a behind him. “It’s like a universal translator.”


Ron, Harry, and Hermione all turned to see who was speaking to them. Harry recognized the girl who had followed the Whites into the dining chamber.


“A what?” Ron asked, seemingly more perplexed than before.


“A universal translator. It’s from a Muggle TV show that my dad watches. “Star Track or something,” she said, smiling at the trio. “The charm allows you to hear whatever is said in your own language. It usually only lasts twenty-four hours. I’m Jenny, by the way, Jenny White. My mom is a teacher at Salem Witches Academy in the U.S., and my dad was the Keeper’s coach for the U.S. Quidditch team.”


The trio began to introduce themselves, but they were cut off by a wave of Jenny’s hand. “I already know who you three are,” she declared. “You’re Hermione Granger. Mom has talked with your headmistress about you. Mom teaches Transfiguration, and Professor McGonagall says you are as good a student as she has ever seen.” Upon hearing this praise, Hermione blushed in a way that would have made a Weasley proud.


“And you are Ron Weasley. Dad has seen you play“he’s been over to watch a few matches. He says you are very good Keeper most of the time. He saw the match that won you your school championship last year; he was really impressed.” It was Ron’s turn to blush, and he smiled brightly and started to examine his shoes.


“And you are Harry Potter,” she said, smiling at him. Harry waited for her eyes to travel up to the scar, as always happened when people first met him. Her eyes, however, never left his. She just gave a friendly smile and continued, “Dad has seen you play as well. He said he hasn’t seen a Seeker your age fly so well in his life.”


Harry was stunned. Jenny was one of very few people in the wizarding world who hadn’t immediately mentioned his scar and how famous he was. She was impressed by his flying and not his fame.


“So what do you mean that your dad used to be the Keeper’s coach?” Ron asked, looking up again.


“I think he got a better job, but I can’t say where yet. He has to wait for some announcement,” she said with a grin.


The group talked for a few more minutes before Jenny left to go chat with a couple of Fleur’s siblings.


“Well, she was certainly nice. I wonder what living in the States is like,” Hermione said, getting up from her chair.


“Hermione, would you like to dance?” Ron asked, turning a new shade of pink.


Hermione was slightly taken aback, but smiled warmly at Ron. “Yes, I would love to dance.” The two got up and walked onto the dance floor. Harry watched as they embraced each other, swaying gently to the slow music. He then looked back over to the head table and noticed Ginny glaring at him. Surprised at the anger he saw in her eyes, he got up, intending to find out exactly what he had done to deserve that particular look.


“Hi, Harry,” came a sweet, girlish voice behind him. Harry froze. He had just figured out what Ginny was glaring at, and it wasn’t him.


“Ah”hi, Cho,” Harry turned to see a huge smile on Cho’s face. “So, how is Michael these days?” he asked, looking around for a means of escape.


Cho’s smile faltered. “Well, we broke up a few weeks ago. You know how school romances never work out,” she said, looking out at the dance floor as the music stopped.


Harry quickly turned and glanced pleadingly at the head table, but Ginny was gone. The music started again, another slow romantic tune. Harry turned back and saw a look of delight in Cho’s eyes.


“So, Harry, I hear that you and Ginny aren’t together anymore. What happened?” she beamed at him.


The words caught in Harry’s throat. Did everyone know about his love life? he wondered.


“We, ah--we sort of--” he stammered.


“We decided that with all that is going on with Vol-Voldemort, a relationship just wasn’t the best idea. We are still great friends though. Speaking of which, Harry, you promised me a dance,” Ginny stated, smiling broadly at him.


“I sure did. See you later, Cho,” Harry called as he was being ushered onto the dance floor. Cho looked furious and stalked off in the direction of the head table.


“Thanks,” Harry said, finally able to breathe again. “She just sort of popped up behind me.”


“You’re welcome. I didn’t know if you would want to dance with her or not, but I saw the look on your face and figured that you didn’t. I thought I could help,” she stated, smiling slightly up at him.


“You know, I don’t need you to protect me,” he replied with a wink.


“What!” Ginny exclaimed, anger beginning to fill her eyes.


“Kidding, just kidding,” Harry said apologetically. “I am sorry about training yesterday. I know that you can take care of yourself. I just sort of freaked out there for a minute. I don’t want to lose you.”


“Harry, you won’t lose me. We will always be friends.” She leaned her head against his chest while they swayed to the music.


“Friends?” he said just barely above a whisper. He wanted desperately to ask if it was still possible to be more, but the words never came out.


“Yeah, friends,” Ginny whispered back to him. She seemed to be unwilling to look into his eyes.


“So, how was Adrian?” Harry asked, trying to change the subject and lighten the mood. If they were only going to be friends, then he was going to at least enjoy it.


“He is a prat. Kept going on about his royal lineage and such. I thought he was going to soak my hand when he kissed it during the ceremony. Oh, and by the way, Harry, I was winking at you during the wedding. Adrian thought I was winking at him, but it was you. I think you look really dashing in your dress robes,” she explained.


“Thanks. I was hoping that you were winking at me, but things have been so weird between us that I wasn’t sure.” He looked down at the top of her head, taking in the scent of her hair.

“We just won’t let things be weird between us anymore, okay?” she demanded, squeezing him in a hug.


“Sure, we won’t. From now on, no more weirdness.” Harry returned the hug, relishing the feel of her body next to his. They just seemed to fit together so well.


“Speaking of weirdness, take a look.” Ginny released Harry and pointed to the fireplace in the far corner of the room.


Harry saw Ron talking with Hermione, gesturing nervously with his hands as he spoke. Hermione was listening intently, grinning from ear to ear. Finally, she spoke in response to Ron’s gesturing, and it looked to Harry like she said, “It’s about time.” Ron’s shoulders stiffened, and he began feverishly talking with his hands again.


After a few minutes of this, Ron grabbed Hermione’s hand and they walked towards the door of the dining chamber.


“Well, it looks like Ron finally made his move,” Harry said, smiling at the thought of his friends getting together.


“It’s about time,” Ginny declared, shaking her head.

++++++


The rest of the day was filled with dancing and merriment. Cho spent most of the evening dancing with Adrian and they seemed to hit it off quite well. Ron and Hermione reappeared after about half an hour, still holding hands, and they danced the night away.


Harry danced with Ginny several more times; he also danced with Fleur a couple of times, her little sister Gabrielle, who never would look him in the eyes, and even once with Jenny from America. He had a chance to speak with her dad about Quidditch, and Mr. White promised to try to make it to a game that year.


Finally, sometime well into the evening, it was time for the bride and groom to start their honeymoon and for the guests to leave. Once the final tune had been played and the party ended, everyone gathered around an old top hat and touched the Portkey that would take them back to Grimmauld Place.


They arrived in the kitchen, Harry stumbling slightly as he landed. Hermione and Ginny immediately ran giggling from the kitchen. Harry looked over to Ron, who was smiling and turning pink as the sound of giggles continued to carry into the kitchen from down the hall.


“So, you and Hermione?” Harry asked, smiling at his friend.


“Yeah,” Ron grinned back.

“Good, but ah--no great displays of snogging like with Lavender, all right? And she isn’t going to call you ‘Won“Won’ is she?” Harry asked, looking a little ill.


“Merlin, I hope not. I don’t think the snogging will be a problem either. Hermione has already said that we are going to keep the ‘public displays of affection’ to a minimum. We are Prefects, you know.” Ron admitted, turning pink again. “Up for a game of chess?”


“Ready to be humiliated?”


“You’ve got to be kidding me, Harry. You haven’t beaten me yet, and it has been six years.” Ron walked out of the kitchen with Harry following him.


“Well, today is going to be my day. You are distracted with your love life, so I have the advantage.”


“Whatever you say, Harry.”


They entered the study and began to play. They were joined by the girls about an hour later. Hermione grabbed a book on Transfiguration and plopped down in a chair beside Ron. Ginny, smiling gently at her brother, walked over and tousled his hair.


“Hey, what are you doing?” Ron shot at her as his knight pummeled Harry’s bishop into submission and tossed it off the board.


“It was just cute the way you asked Hermione out. A little lame, but cute nonetheless.”


Ron turned a bright scarlet and looked over at Hermione. She just looked up at him, grinned and went back to her book.


They whiled away the rest of the evening with chess and books and conversation. Finally, exhausted from the day’s activities, they went to bed for a well-deserved rest.

+++++


The following week, the routine began again. Harry trained in the morning and studied Occlumency
in the afternoon. This week, however, had the added activity of getting ready for his Apparition test. Thursday was his birthday, so he and Ron planned to go in the morning to take the test. Mrs. Weasley had a huge birthday bash planned, with all of Harry’s favorite foods and as many Order members as were available.


They arrived at the Ministry and walked through the main lobby to the lifts. Harry had not been in this building since the night that Sirius had died. He still struggled with those memories, although the guilt had receded with time.


Finally, Harry found himself in a small office without really knowing how he’d gotten there. He pushed down the feelings of loss, knowing that he needed to concentrate on the test.


An elderly witch with short graying hair looked up as the three men entered her office. “Name, please,” she stated without preamble.


“Ronald Bilius Weasley and Harry James Potter. Here for Apparition licensing,” Mr. Weasley declared in an official tone.


“Sit here and wait. The tester will be with you shortly,” the witch responded, looking back down at her desk, never even acknowledging the two boys.


Mr. Weasley bid farewell to the boys as they sat to wait for the tester to arrive. They sat there for what seemed like hours, until finally the door to the testing room opened. An extremely disgruntled looking young man walked out of the testing facility carrying a small box. Harry looked at him for second, trying to decide what was strange about this boy’s appearance. Finally, he realized the boy had no ears. He smirked, thinking that the missing ears must be in the box.


“That’s fine, Warren. Just head to the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes on the third level and they will put those ears right back,” instructed a short balding wizard stepping out from behind the door. “Well, he failed I’m afraid,” he told the witch sitting behind the desk. She didn’t look up from her paperwork but simply nodded with a “Hmpf.”


“Okay, who is next?” he asked, looking cheerily at the two boys sitting across the office. Harry and Ron looked at each other, Ron turning a deeper shade of green.

“I am, sir. Harry Potter,” Harry declared, standing. He looked at Ron who mouthed, “Thanks,” to him. Harry walked nervously across the office to the door that the testing wizard was standing in.

“Merlin’s Beard, the Harry Potter?” he remarked, taking a long look at Harry’s face before his eyes darted up to the scar.

Harry tried not to show his frustration with this but failed. “Yes, sir,” he sighed.

Realizing he was staring, the wizard quickly turned and walked back into the room. “Right then, here you go.” He led Harry into the room and the door closed behind them.

Fifteen minutes later, Harry emerged, completely intact and smiling happily.

“How was it?” Ron asked. He didn’t look as green as he had when Harry went in.

“No problem. Apparate into a couple of hoops and then through a wall. Piece of cake. You will do fine,” Harry ensured him. Ron seemed to take heart with what Harry said and quickly moved towards the door. The testing wizard came out to greet him.

“And you are?” he inquired, his eyebrows twitching up at Ron’s show of enthusiasm.

“Ron Weasley.”

“Very well, Mr. Weasley, in you go. This one passed fine, Helga,” he announced to the witch behind the desk. She merely nodded and started working on another bit of paperwork.


Twenty minutes later, Ron exited the testing room. He too was fully intact and smiling from ear to ear. “No problem,” he declared.


“Very well done, Mr. Weasley,” said the tester as he walked out of the testing room. “He passed, Helga… and smile, this is fun.” Then the tester walked through another door in the office.


Helga didn’t smile, however--she didn’t even look up. She simply filled out two pieces of parchment and handed them to the boys. “Take these to the Records Office, and they will provide you with copies of your licenses. Congratulations,” she said with absolutely no feeling behind it whatsoever.


Harry and Ron took the parchments, smiling widely, and headed for the lifts that would take them to the third floor. As they entered lift number six, they were greeted by a familiar voice.


“Hello Ronald, Harry,” Percy said as they entered the lift. “Here for your licenses, I presume.”


Both boys were caught off guard by Percy’s appearance. He had been around a couple of times in the last year--Christmas and Professor Dumbledore’s funeral--and he had spent some time with Ron’s mum and dad, but he had made no effort to reconcile with the rest of the family. They both remained silent, staring at him.


“Well, that is how it is going to be then,” Percy declared pompously. “I’m glad I ran into you both. I was just in the Records Office and saw the memos saying you both passed your tests. Congratulations. I have your licenses here so you won’t have to wait in line up there in the office. It is a mad house up there.”


“Oh, ah, thanks,” Harry mumbled, not really knowing what to do. Ron simply glared at his brother.


“Why don’t you both come to my office and I will give you the licenses. I would really like to show you around a bit. I have been moving up in the world since the last time we talked.” Percy motioned them out of the lift. They hadn’t even realized it was moving, so stunned were they by seeing Percy and by his desire to “show them around”.


They entered the office behind Percy. He was looking at his pocket watch as he walked over to his desk. He picked up two pieces of parchment from the desk and looked again at his watch.


“So, Harry, tell me, are you looking forward to Hogwarts this year?” he asked. This was not like Percy at all; he was not one for small talk and wasting time.


“Why didn’t you talk to mum or dad at the wedding?” Ron growled.

“Oh, well, I was very busy Saturday during the reception. You know, all those foreign dignitaries to talk with. We need to stand together if we are going to defeat the Dark Lord. We are at war and all. Speaking of the war…” Percy again looked at his watch, smiling a little. “Harry, are you getting ready for the role you are going to take in the war--'The Chosen One' and that sort of thing?”


“What are you talking about? I don’t know; why ask me?” Harry was dumbfounded by the way Percy was acting, and he was starting to feel nervous about the whole thing. “We need to go, Ron; your dad is waiting for us.” He looked at Ron meaningfully. Ron nodded.


Percy got up from behind his desk, glancing at the clock on the wall. “Very well, give my love to mum and dad.” He handed a parchment to each of them. He then walked back to sit behind his desk. As the boys walked to the door, he cleared his throat. They both turned at the sound.


“By the way, Harry, I wanted to tell you something. Ron, you should hear this too,” Percy called with a smile crossing his face. “Remember, there is no good or evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it.”


Harry’s eyes widened in shock at hearing those words. He had not heard them in a very long time, but the memory was seared in his mind forever. He looked at Ron, who was staring at his brother in disgust. Before he could say anything, they both felt the tug of a Portkey being activated, and they were gone.

++++++++

A/N: Another happy cliff hanger, hehehehehe! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. It is one of my favorites. Let me know what you think with a little review. Any suggestions will also be helpful.


As always, thanks to my pre-betas cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Thanks also to my wonderful beta JenC. Thanks again ladies for all your wonderful work and ideas.


Riddle's Graveyard by ckwright51
I don't own anything. JKR is the sole owner of Harry's world.
+++++++


“Harry, what just happened?” Ron, his eyes wide with shock, sounded panicked.


They had landed with a thud in the middle of a thick, grey, misty fog”a poor replacement for the bright summer day they had left behind. Although it was late July, the wind blew as though a January blizzard was coming.


Ron continued looking around in a vain effort to figure out where they had landed. Harry, however, knew exactly where they were; he had seen the grotesque headstone marking Tom Riddle Sr.’s grave the minute he landed. He could feel the evil presence of Dementors all around; however, the sound of his mother’s screams was faint, so he knew that the Dementors were still a little ways off.


“We’re in the graveyard,” Harry whispered through clenched teeth. “The one that Cedric died in. There are Dementors around, but they are not too close yet. I think Percy--he must have turned the licenses into Portkeys to send us here. Get your wand out and be ready for anything.” Harry was trying desperately to figure out how to get out of this. The last time he’d been in this graveyard someone had died, and he dearly hoped it would not be the same this time.


“You think we can just Apparate back?”


Harry didn’t hear the question, because just as Ron started speaking, his scar began to twitch painfully. He immediately put up the walls in his mind and concentrated on the protection they could provide. He was surprised to notice that with his walls firmly in place, the Dementors’ effect on him was lessened. The cold that had seemed to permeate his body was growing warmer and his mother’s screams had stopped all together. Through the fog and mist, he could see a line of light about a hundred yards to the left.


It was a violet, almost black, wall of light that flickered and pulsed as if it were alive. The wall stretched up over the graveyard, over the spot where they stood and on into the distance beyond the little church that stood several hundred yards to the right.


“I don’t think we can Apparate, Ron,” Harry declared, unknowingly answering Ron’s question. “You see the barrier that is stretching above us and goes all the way to the ground over there on the left? We are in some dome of energy or something. I doubt we can Apparate through that. We need to get to the other side of it.”


“Harry, what are you talking about? All I see is this bloody fog and some tombstones,” Ron replied, looking from Harry to the direction that Harry was pointing.


“You can’t see that energy--no black barrier or anything?” Harry was confused, since the barrier was clear to him, even through the fog. He did not receive an answer, however, as another voice became apparent in the cemetery.


“I likess Weasssley blood-sss.”


“Ron, did you hear that?” Harry whispered, instinctively crouching behind the nearest gravestone and looking in the direction of the voice.


Ron had ducked behind another gravestone a couple of feet away. “Yeah, sounded like hissing. You--you reckon Voldemort has a basilisk out here or something?”


Harry grinned despite himself when Ron used Voldemort’s name. He had always been so disturbed by it. “No, I think it’s Nagini, the snake that attacked your dad.” Harry shuddered at the memory of the attack. “But I can’t believe it’s here. Voldemort would be stupid to use it in an attack. Professor Dumbledore thought it was a Horcrux. I wonder what Voldemort is playing at?”


“Harry, if that thing is a Horcrux, this could be our chance to destroy it. One down, right?” Ron suggested.


Harry was about to respond when movement to his right caught his attention. He looked over, and a pair of glowing yellow eyes locked onto his. The snake was fully extended and unable to strike effectively from the ten feet away that it was. It started to coil its body, readying to attack its newfound prey.


Harry held its gaze. He noticed that the snake had a blood-red aura surrounding it. He could sense rather than hear Ron moving, slowly trying to get behind the snake. Harry could also feel the Dementors getting closer. The trap was tightening around them.


Nagini slithered forward, closing the distance between it and Harry. The beast was flicking its tongue up and down, tasting the air. Abruptly it stopped, turning and looking in the direction that Harry thought Ron had moved. It began tasting the air again.


“I’m over here,” Harry hissed in Parseltongue. “Come this way!”


The snake again looked towards Harry. It wavered, briefly tasting the air, and then continued its progress in Harry’s direction.


Harry held his ground until the last possible second. The snake raised its head to strike.


“Impedimenta,” Harry growled, not wanting to draw the approaching Dementors towards them by shouting the spell. The snake started to strike and stopped in mid-air.


“Flagrantia!” Ron shouted from the opposite side of the snake. Flames began crisscrossing the great snake as Ron literally drew lines of fire upon its body.


Nagini broke free from the Impediment Jinx and began to writhe on the ground, the fire burning in lines across its back. Striking randomly, it crashed into several tombstones, sending stone and marble in all directions.


Harry leapt out of the way of a piece of falling stone before sending a Bludgeoning Curse towards the burning snake. The curse caught it on the snout. Its head flew backward, exposing the scales of its underside.


Ron then fired a Slashing Hex at the exposed stomach, slicing it neatly for the length of several feet. Blood started to spill out of the wound. The snake was quickly losing energy.


“Wingardium Leviosa!” Ron yelled, levitating the snake in the air. It writhed, unable to control its body.


Harry launched a Severing Charm into the midsection of the snake, slicing it cleanly in two. The two separate pieces fell apart and a great red light shone from each end. There was an explosion of magical energy that consumed the body of the lifeless snake before dwindling again, leaving the charred remains of Voldemort’s pet, which landed on the ground with a thud.


Harry saw Ron running towards him just as the screaming in his head erupted again. The Dementors were closing in. He could still see the black line of energy in the distance. Fighting Nagini had moved them several more yards away from the barrier. Moving ever closer was a line of six Dementors.


“Harry, those Dementors--what are we going to do?”

Whipping around to look at Ron, who was bleeding from a gash on his left cheek, Harry asked, “Can you conjure a Patronus?”


“I haven’t yet.”


“Well, this would be a good time to start. I don’t think I can take all of them out. Think of something that makes you really happy!” Harry exclaimed, getting ready to face the oncoming Dementors. Three more had joined them. “We have to get through that barrier before we can Apparate out of here.”


“This way, they must have arrived in the graveyard! I am going to kill that Weasley idiot for fouling all this up!” The familiar voice of Severus Snape came from somewhere behind Harry and Ron.


“Oh, this just gets better. Now we have Death Eaters behind us and Dementors in front of us,” Ron complained.


Harry began to think about him and Ginny on the dance floor at the wedding. “Expecto Patronum!” he shouted with a slight smile on his face. The great silver stag came bounding out of the tip of his wand and raced towards the Dementors. Two were charged down immediately and fled. The others scattered. “Come on, we have to go now through the opening,” Harry shouted as he started to run. The great stag was charging to his right now. The opening, however, was getting smaller as the Dementors on the left began to close the line.


Ron was attempting to fire his Patronus, but nothing would work. “I can’t do it, Harry,” he said, slowing his pace, the effect of the Dementors clearly taking its toll.


“Just think of something!” Harry shouted, trying to steady his friend. Prongs was still clearing the path for them, but the Dementors were closing the gap in the line quickly. “Think of winning the Quidditch Cup, think of eating all you can eat at the start-of-term feast, think of snogging Hermione senseless…just do it now.”


Ron turned slightly pink as a new thought entered his head. He perked up and shouted the incantation. A small silver dog leapt out of the tip of his wand and headed straight towards the Dementors on the left. The scene was too incongruous to believe, as a little yelping dog charged down Dementor after Dementor. If the situation weren’t so dangerous, Harry thought it may actually be funny.


“Nice Patronus!” Harry yelled with a slight smile. Ron colored a bit more but did not respond. They both began running full speed again, and were mere feet from the barrier. They burst through just as Ron was hit in the leg with a curse fired by Death Eaters who were pursuing them. His right leg gave a sickening “crack” as the bone was snapped in two. He landed with a scream of pain, rolling on the ground, holding his leg above the knee. The lower part of his leg was bent at an odd angle.


Harry was quickly at his side. Grasping him, hard, by the arm, he lifted him to a sitting position. “Can you hold on to me so I can Apparate us back to headquarters?”


“I can do it myself,” Ron growled through clenched teeth. “I am not missing a chance to Apparate on the first day I can do it legally. Besides, what would Fred and George think?”


Harry continued to hold his arm. “All right, but let me hold your arm, and I’ll guide you, just in case.” Ron smiled weakly and with a pop they were gone.
++++++++


They arrived on the lawn of Grimmauld Place with a loud crack. Harry quickly jumped to his feet. “Ron, I’ll be right back; I have to go get Ginny and your Mum.”


The door to Grimmauld Place opened just as he was about to grasp the knob. Ginny and Mrs. Weasley came rushing out to meet them. Mrs. Weasley let out a quick scream and fell to her knees before her son. “Ginny, go Floo Madam Pomfrey. She will need to set his leg.” She then turned and levitated Ron, who was now groaning in pain, gently into the house. Ginny was already inside, running to the kitchen to contact Madam Pomfrey. Harry, feeling exhausted, followed her into the room.


Madam Pomfrey arrived several minutes later and quickly made her way up to the bedroom that Ron and Harry shared. She and Mrs. Weasley remained upstairs for over an hour, working on setting Ron’s leg and taking care of the gash on his face.


Ginny made Harry a cup of tea, and they sat at the kitchen table waiting for news of Ron.


“Harry, what happened?” Ginny asked, clearly confused.


Just as Harry was about to answer, his scar exploded in pain. He fell onto the floor, his hand clutching at his forehead. Ginny quickly knelt beside him. He forced the walls up in his mind, and almost immediately the pain began to subside. He began to relax and regain his composure.


“He is not happy about the day’s events,” Harry whispered. He was sure now that Nagini had indeed been a Horcrux, and whoever was responsible for the mistake in the trap was going to pay, probably with their life. He thought of Percy but refused to consider the consequences for him. Percy made his choice, he thought.


“Harry, are you all right?” Ginny inquired. He could hear the panic in her voice and looked up at her as she helped him into his chair.


“I’m all right,” he declared breathlessly. “Voldemort is just really angry.”


“Voldemort? What does he have to do with this? What happened out there?” Ginny repeated, taking a seat next to him. She still had her hand on his shoulder.


“We got sent to the graveyard in Little Hangleton. The one Voldemort…” Harry trailed off as the memory again swept over him. He shook his head, clearing the memory, and continued, “It was a trap, but I don’t think it went the way it was supposed to. Either we got there too soon or we were transported into the wrong place. Voldemort’s pet snake was there and we killed it.” A smile crossed his face but didn’t reach his eyes. “That’s one down,” he whispered to himself.


“One what?” Ginny asked, still looking at him with a confused expression on her face. “What is one down?”


“Oh, nothing, just thinking out loud,” Harry stammered. He was not ready to tell Ginny about the Horcruxes just then, although he knew he would eventually since she was bound and determined to fight with him. “Ginny, how did you know we were out there? We had only just arrived. Did you see us through the window or something?”


Ginny blushed slightly as she looked at Harry. “I don’t really know. A couple of minutes before you and Ron appeared, I got this sense that something was wrong. We weren’t expecting you for another hour or two, so we didn’t realize anything had happened. I walked around the house with this feeling that something had happened to you…to you both, and then I just knew that you were outside on the lawn.”


Harry contemplated this new bit of information but said nothing. The flames in the fireplace burst green, and a very harried-looking Hermione stepped out. “Where is Ron? Is he all right? Harry, what happened, are you okay?” she breathed, looking wildly around the room.


“Ron’s fine; he has a broken leg, but Madam Pomfrey is up with him,” Ginny said getting up and walking over to Hermione. She placed a comforting hand on the older girl’s arm and led her to the table. “Hermione, have some tea.”


“What happened? Minerva--I mean Professor McGonagall--said that Ron had been hurt at the Ministry. Harry, what happened? It wasn’t the test, was it? Oh, I told him to practice more,” Hermione said in agitation.


“No, Hermione, we sort of got sent away from the Ministry,” Harry replied. He could see Hermione was not really thinking clearly at the moment since broken legs were a rare occurrence in failed Apparition tests. Missing legs were frequent but not broken ones. He went on to explain the events leading up to and through the battle in the graveyard. He left out the part about Percy being the one who had given them the Portkeys and what he said right before they activated.


“He conjured a Patronus!” Hermione squealed with delight. “What was it? Did he tell you what he was thinking about? Oh, I’m so proud of him. He has been trying for weeks.” Hermione was bouncing in her chair with excitement.


Harry smiled at Hermione’s obvious joy over her boyfriend’s latest accomplishment. He was struck by just how excited she had become. He wondered if it was a little overboard, but just chalked it up to having been a very long day. “The Patronus was a small dog, smaller than Prongs but just as powerful. As for what he was thinking about, he didn’t tell me, but I have an idea.” He was smirking at her.


“What, what do you--Oh!” Hermione’s eyes got wide in recognition. She then blushed and started examining the dregs of her tea cup. Ginny was trying not to giggle but failed miserably.


“I need to go up and see him,” Hermione declared, getting up from the table. “Do you think Madam Pomfrey is finished yet?”


The door to the kitchen swung open and Mrs. Weasley stepped inside. She looked as white as Nearly Headless Nick as she walked in carrying a piece of parchment. She barely acknowledged the teens sitting at the table as she walked over to the teapot to pour herself a cup of tea.


“Mum, what’s wrong? Is Ron all right? What happened?” Ginny asked, fear crossing her face at the sight of her mother.


Mrs. Weasley stared at the table as if she didn’t know they were in the room. “Oh dear, I didn’t see--I don’t--Percy’s missing,” she finally said, breaking down into sobs and collapsing into a chair, spilling her tea onto the table. Ginny’s mouth dropped open in surprise. Harry’s face pinched up, his brow furrowed as if trying to work something out in his mind. He looked at Hermione, who was glancing from Mrs. Weasley to him. She was giving him one of those perceptive stares that always meant she knew that he knew more than he was telling. He quickly grabbed the parchment that apparently had been delivered earlier.


Dear Mrs. Weasley,
I was wondering if you could put me in touch with your son Percy. He left his office today around ten and has not returned. We fear that he has been involved with You-Know-Who in some way and would like to ask him some questions. If you have any information, please contact me immediately.


Sincerely,
Dolores Umbridge
Senior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic



Harry slammed the parchment down on the table, angered that Umbridge would make such a revelation in such an insensitive way. Hermione took the parchment, read it, then also slammed in down on the table. Mrs. Weasley was being consoled by Ginny, who still only knew that Percy was missing and didn’t really know how best to help her mother.


“Mrs. Weasley,” Harry began, “we can contact the rest of the Order, if you would like us to.” This was the only thing he could think to do. Mrs. Weasley raised her head and looked at Harry. She smiled weakly at him and attempted to pull herself together. “No, no dear. Arthur will be home in a couple of minutes and we can do that. You all go upstairs and check on Ron,” she said bravely. Harry had always believed that Ginny had a strength of spirit about her that was by far one of her most attractive qualities. Now he knew where she got it from. Mrs. Weasley got up, dried her tears, and although she continued to get choked up and had to dab at the tears in her eyes often, she began contacting Order members for a meeting to take place that evening.


Harry looked to Ginny, who was up and walking as if in a daze towards the door. Hermione was already out of the kitchen door. She was in a rush to see Ron and make sure he was all right. Harry gently wrapped his arm around Ginny’s shoulders and walked her upstairs. They would spend some time with Ron as he recovered from his injuries, or simply attempt to stay out of the way, before dealing with the meeting that night. Harry’s birthday had been completely forgotten.
+++++


Ron slept most of the afternoon. There was a flurry of activity as Order members arrived and then quickly left again to check on possibilities for Percy’s whereabouts. Harry and Ginny spent much of the day in the study. Ginny attempted to review for her upcoming week of O.W.L.s, and Harry tried to put some perspective on the day’s events. Hermione would spend short periods of time with them in the study and then wander back upstairs to check on Ron and see if he needed anything. Madam Pomfrey explained that his leg was mended and that he would be sore for a couple of days, but there was no permanent damage. The sight of Ron lying in the bed, however, had been too much for Hermione. She’d burst into tears upon seeing him and seemed strangely dazed the rest of the afternoon.


Just before the meeting, Remus stuck his head into the study. “Harry, Ginny, the meeting is going to start in about an hour. Ron and Hermione are coming down.”


“Thanks, Remus…um, could you, Ron, and Hermione come in here for a minute?” Harry asked. Remus nodded and went to get Ron. He came back in less than a minute. Ron, Hermione and Remus sat in chairs in front of the fireplace along with Ginny, who was placing a book on Herbology in a small stack next to her chair. Ron shifted in his chair, trying to find a more comfortable position for his completely healed and yet still sore leg. Harry paced the floor.


“Remus, I need your advice on something. Ron and I have some…information that we may need to share with the group, but I am not sure what it means,” Harry said. He glanced at Ginny, unsure if he really wanted to tell her about Percy’s apparent betrayal.


Stop trying to protect me! He heard the words in his head again. This was information that she was going to hear one way or another, so he may as well tell her now. It was better for her to hear it from him than from some stupid Ministry official or via owl.


“Why don’t you tell me and we can figure out what the next step will be,” Remus said.


“Okay, when we went to the Ministry today--we saw Percy,” Harry stated. He noticed Ron shift again. He hadn’t had a chance to talk with Ron about Percy since they got back. Ron looked very pale and had a sad look of disappointment on his face. He looked at the other faces in the room: Ginny looked surprised, Hermione nodded as if she already knew what had happened, and Remus looked at Harry stoically and simply said, “And?”


“He, that is, Percy, handed us our licenses and… they were the Portkeys that sent us to Riddle’s graveyard.”


Remus didn’t look surprised; rather, he looked somewhat angry as he contemplated this new information. During the day, the story of Harry and Ron being sent to the graveyard had filtered through the Order so most knew some of what happened.


“Should I tell Mr. and Mrs. Weasley? I mean, I don’t want them to find out with everyone there or anything,” Harry questioned.


Remus rose from his chair and patted Harry on the shoulder. “You are a pretty sensitive young man, Harry. Don’t worry. I will go and tell them before the meeting starts. I doubt Molly will be at the meeting when she learns this, but it is better for her to hear it in private.” Remus then left the room in search of Arthur and Molly.


Harry turned back to the group still sitting in front of the fireplace. Hermione was now sitting on the floor next to Ron’s chair. Ron was running his fingers through her hair and seemed to take some comfort in her presence. Ginny sat with her legs pulled up into her chest, arms wrapped around her knees. Her face was a mask of anger.


“Ginny, I’m sorry,” he said quietly, walking over to her and crouching down in front of her. She looked at him, the anger fading into sadness as tears built in her eyes.


“What do you have to be sorry for?” she asked as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Are you sorry that my brother betrayed us, that he is the biggest git in the world?” She broke off as more tears began to stream down her face.


“I’m sorry I can’t fix this. I’m sorry I have come between you and your brother--your family and your brother. I’m sorry I don’t know what to do to help you,” Harry sighed. He was at a loss as to how to comfort Ginny and feeling guilty because he was sure that if he had not entered their lives, Percy would still be part of the family.


Ron barked out a harsh laugh. “DON’T GIVE US THAT ‘IT’S ALL MY FAULT’ GARBAGE, HARRY!” he shouted. “This is not your fault and you know it. You didn’t make him do it. You didn’t drive him to betray us. Who knows why Percy ever did anything he did. Harry, you haven’t come between anything. We all make choices, and Percy has made his choice: Power before family or anything else.” Ron then got to his feet and limped towards the door. “We have a meeting to get to.”


Ron and Hermione walked out of study. Harry felt deeply moved by the show of support from his best friend. He again turned to Ginny, who was dabbing at the tears on her face.


“He’s right, you know. You didn’t do this and you can’t fix it. All you can do is keep fighting for what is right and the things and people you love,” she explained.


Harry stood up and grasped her hand, pulling her out of the chair. And the people, he thought as he followed her out of the room. I am going to finish this for the person that I love.
++++++++


A/N First, I really hope you liked this chapter and that it was worth the evil cliffhanger from last chapter. If you liked it review, if you didn’t like it review. If it made you fall asleep, WAKE UP, and review. I hope my point is clear here.


Second, Ron’s Patronus is a small dog. I found this out through my brilliant beta.

Finally, thanks to all who have reviewed so far. I love the comments and it makes me more excited to keep writing when I know that people are readying, and enjoying the story. Also I have to thank my pre-betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear for all their help and input. Big thanks as always to my beta JenC for making my third grader writing style sound like an adult. Thanks ladies.
Revelations by ckwright51
Disclaimer: I don’t own it. JKR owns the Potterverse. I just like to play in it from time to time.
+++++++


The Order meeting lasted a couple of hours. There was some discussion of recent Death Eater attacks on Muggles in Wales and of some of Minister Scrimgeour’s efforts. The main part of the meeting, however, was devoted to Harry and Ron’s kidnapping and escape. Harry recounted every detail, from the time they left the Apparition license office to when they stepped back through the door of Grimmauld Place. Opinion was split over Percy’s involvement. Some thought, or hoped, that Percy was acting under the Imperious Curse. Others, including Ron and Harry, believed he was acting of his own accord.


Mrs. Weasley looked numb as the discussion moved from Percy to how they would respond to this latest attempt on Harry’s life. She had spent most of the afternoon crying about Percy being missing and Ron being injured. Remus had told her before the meeting about Percy’s involvement in the day’s events. She again showed the inner strength that had impressed Harry earlier in the day: she refused to the miss the meeting and sat quietly during the proceedings. She took sips of tea and kept a tissue nearby as she was being comforted by her husband. Harry could tell the war was taking its toll on both of them.


After the meeting, a small, very subdued party was given for Harry’s birthday, and to celebrate both his and Ron’s receiving their Apparition licenses. Ginny and Hermione had enlisted Dobby’s help for preparation of the evening meal and the cake for Harry. Hermione insisted on giving Dobby some sort of payment for his efforts, but Dobby was thrilled to have a chance to see them all, especially Harry Potter, and claimed that was by far payment enough. Finally, after much debate and consternation on Hermione’s part, Dobby agreed to take a single Galleon for his work. He cleaned up and left after the party--if it could be called that--ended.


Harry hadn’t felt like opening his presents but had done so and was sincerely pleased with each one. Ron had given him a new set of goggles to use during Quidditch matches, and Harry couldn’t help but smile when he looked at them. The entire world is waiting on me to kill or be killed and Ron is thinking about school Quidditch, he thought.


Hermione had given him a book: Defeating the Dark, Powerful Spells to Defeat Powerful Dark Wizards. He’d glanced through a few pages, noting a couple of new spells that he would have to try in training.


The rest of the presents had been opened and examined, and by the end, the mood in the room had lifted somewhat. Harry was disappointed that Ginny hadn’t gotten him anything, but he reckoned that was to be expected. It did not take long for the events of the day to catch up with everyone, and soon they were all moving towards their bedrooms. Everyone except Harry.


Harry sat in front of the fire in the study, contemplating the events of the day. He had been trapped in Tom Riddle’s graveyard. He had managed to destroy a Horcrux, almost by accident. He found out that a member of the family that had taken him in and shown him love he had never known had betrayed them all. He was able to see the magic that could keep him from Apparating although Ron couldn’t, and he had also somehow managed to communicate to Ginny that something was wrong.


The door opened and Aberforth walked in. Harry, startled by the interruption, stood up.


“Harry, sit down; you don’t have to stand just because I walked into the room,” Abe said with a smirk. “You look like a young man who has some questions.”


Harry immediately built the walls in his mind; he had no desire to let anyone into his thoughts tonight. He stared at the bartender.


“Oh, Harry, I’m not entering your mind or anything like that. I am a bartender after all. I can tell when someone needs to talk, and you look like you need to talk.” He stepped towards the fire, then pulled out his wand and conjured an old, well-worn bar between himself and Harry. He pulled a bottle of firewhiskey from under the bar, poured a shot glass, and passed it over to Harry. “Happy Birthday, sir.”


Harry smiled and took the offered drink. The fumes rising from the glass met his nostrils, and his eyes began to water before he even managed a sip. “Cheers,” he said lightly before pouring the amber liquid into his mouth. It was a sensation unlike anything Harry had ever experienced. The liquid was sweet, yet seemed to burn all the way down his throat. He coughed several times, and his eyes continued to water as he slammed the glass down on the bar.


He tried to stand straight and stop coughing. Abe looked at him with a grin on his face. “I never get tired of seeing someone react to their first shot of firewhiskey,” he snorted. “So, what do you want to talk about?” He replaced the shot glass on the bar with a larger glass and filled it with mead. Harry gratefully took a sip of the less powerful drink and began to relax. After several minutes of drinking the mead, Harry was finally ready to talk.


“Well, sir--I mean Abe,” Harry started, “I was thinking about today, and I would like to ask you about some things that happened. When Ron and I got there--got to the Graveyard--I felt my scar start to twinge. I raised my mental walls, and all of a sudden I was able to see the magical barriers, and I knew that we wouldn’t be able to Apparate until we got beyond them. The Dementors didn’t affect me as much either. Then we got back here, and Ginny told me she knew something was wrong a few minutes before we arrived, like I had told her something was wrong.”


Harry was never one to trust easily or let people know what he was thinking, but he found it easy to ask the old barman about things that were confusing him. Perhaps it was a Dumbledore family trait or the combined effects of the firewhiskey and the mead, but Harry was ready to talk to him about most anything.


“I was wondering when that would happen,” Abe said in a friendly voice.


Harry’s confusion grew. “When what would happen?”


“Why, when you would be able to see dark magic when you were focused using the Occlumency techniques I was teaching you,” Abe explained. “I’m surprised it happened this quickly, but Albus always did say you were an exceptional young wizard.”


Harry grinned at the unexpected praise. His desire to please his former headmaster lived on even if the man had died. “So the Occlumency will allow me to see dark magic?”

“Not exactly. You see, as you do Occlumency, your mind focuses, closes out the world around you. The distractions are pushed away, and your own abilities become sharpened. You, Harry, can see dark magic because you are a powerful wizard, just like Albus. You were able to see it today because you were able to shield yourself from the distraction around you and focus your mind,” Abe explained, refilling Harry’s glass of mead.


“So that is how Professor Dumbledore was able to see all the dark magic, in the cave,” Harry said, understanding dawning in his eyes. “But in the cave he was muttering; I thought it was some spell that reveals the presence of dark magic.”


“It may have been, but he may have been using this technique. He was never as good at closing his mind to distraction and seeing the darkness around him. Well, I guess you would agree, he had a great deal on his mind,” Abe declared with a twinkle in his eye. “He always used a saying, to focus his thoughts.”


“Wait, if I was closed off to the distractions of the world and everything, then what happened with Ginny? She said she just knew something was wrong.” Harry’s brow was furrowed in thought, attempting to put the pieces together.


“Well now, that is something different, isn’t it?” Abe smirked. “That has to do with the people you feel connected to”the people you love.”


Harry stopped thinking and turned bright red, staring at the barman.


“No, not just that kind of love, although it would certainly include that.” Abe grinned broadly at the blushing young man in front of him. “No, this is not romantic love, but more the love that friends have for each other. The kind of love you have for Ron and Hermione. Because of that love, Harry, you have a connection to them. You probably have the same kind of feeling for Neville and Luna, if not to the same degree. That love you have for them provides you with a connection, a bond. When you fight together they give you some of their strength and you give them some of yours. That’s why you and Ron fight so well together.”


“But what about Ginny today?” Harry asked, still not fully understanding what the barman was talking about.


“When you were focused and all your abilities were sharpened, you were able to connect with her; I think I know why,” he stated, raising his eyebrows a little at Harry. “You connected with her and let her know you needed her. As you practice this you will be able to draw greater and greater strength from her and the rest of your friends.”


“Is that how Voldemort got be so powerful? Is he drawing on the power of the people around him?” Harry questioned, feeling a bit sick about being about to draw power from his friends, afraid that he could use them unwillingly.


“No, Harry--Voldemort does have a connection to those around him, but not the same as yours. He rules his followers by fear and manipulation. Those that follow you do so because they love and respect you. They would gladly sacrifice themselves to help you, whereas the Death Eaters would love to see Voldemort defeated so they might have a chance to take his place.” Abe was absentmindedly cleaning a glass as he spoke. “Albus was really good at the connection thing. He was able to form one with almost every student he ever had.”


“So that’s how he knew what was going in castle all the time.” Harry smiled, thinking of all the times Dumbledore had seemed omnipotent during his schooling.


“Yes, I believe so. He would sit in his office and just check up on the students, make sure they were feeling all right, and that everything was well. The connection doesn’t allow you see thoughts so much as to read emotions. Albus never sent messages through his connections, however. The fact that you sent Ginny a message of need speaks to how strongly you feel about her.”


Harry began to study the half-empty glass of mead. “I do feel strongly for her. I think I may even love her, but I don’t know if I should be with her. There is so much to do, and so much is uncertain. She deserves someone more…stable in her life,” Harry sighed.


“Back when Grindelwald was causing his mischief, Albus and I had the same conversation. Her name was Katrina. She was this beautiful French witch. Albus was completely in love with her, but the war was raging. I asked him once if she was worth the risks: the risk of losing her, the risk of something happening to her, and the pain that would cause. He decided she wasn’t and so they broke up before we went off to find Grindelwald.” Abe had a far away look on his face as if he was seeing the events that he was speaking about.


“So what happened?” Harry asked, hearing a creaking sound in the hall.


“She died while we were gone. She was killed during a battle on the Muggle side of the war,” Abe stated, the twinkle leaving his eyes. “Albus was trying to protect her, but he just couldn’t, you see. So, is Ginny worth it? Is she worth the pain that you would feel losing her? Is the joy of being with her worth the risk that comes from allowing yourself to love her?”


Harry thought about this for several minutes. He hadn’t been sure that what he was doing--not being with her, not allowing her too close--was the right thing. Now it seemed the absolute wrong thing. “I have really mucked this up,” he said, his face dropping into his hands. “Yes, she is worth it, but I don’t think she sees me as worth it. At least not anymore.”


“Well, time will tell, Harry,” Abe declared, the twinkle returning to his eyes. “Why don’t you go up to bed; it has been a long day, and you have to train in the morning.” Abe waved his wand again and the mead, the bar, and all the bottles disappeared.


Harry got up to leave, hearing the creaking noise again as he approached the door. “Night, Abe,” he said and walked out.
++++++


A/N: Hope you liked this one. If you did let me know, I love the encouragement. If you didn’t let me know, I can always improve the story and your suggestions can help me do that. In other words review and tell my you thought.

Big thanks to my pre-betas, cableguysmom and Kerrbear. And as always thanks to my incredibly patient beta, JenC for doing such a wonderful job making this story readable. Thanks ladies.

Next up; A trip to Godric’s Hollow.
Mum, Dad...I'm Home by ckwright51
A/N: I don't own any of the Potter universe.
++++++


Harry entered the library stifling a yawn. He had overslept this morning and was a few minutes late for his training session. Saturday was the day that he trained by himself, which he liked because it was the time he felt he could truly gage his growth in dueling. He could see if he could handle himself, without one of his friends fighting alongside him. It had only been a couple of days since the battle in Tom Riddle’s graveyard, but Harry felt invigorated by his and Ron’s victory there and ready to continue his work.


He noticed Remus sitting on the edge of the desk, a sad look in his eyes as he read a piece of parchment. Mad-Eye Moody was sitting behind the desk, scowling at the door. “You’re late, Potter.”


“Sorry, sir--I mean Professor--I mean…” Harry stammered. “I don’t really know what to call you.”


“Call me Mad-Eye,” Moody announced brusquely. “That’s what most of my friends call me. Most of my enemies too, for that matter.” He laughed, and his face twisted into a rather disturbing smile.


Remus looked up from the parchment and smiled at Harry. “Harry, I have some news for you,” he started, the smile fading slightly. “I just received a letter from the Ministry. Now that you are of age, you are the sole owner of Lion’s Watch.”


“Owner of what?” Harry stared at him in confusion. “What in the world is Lion’s Watch?”


“Lion’s Watch is the name of the estate that your parents owned before they died.” The sad expression returned to Remus’s face. “It is in Godric’s Hollow--well, on the outskirts at least. They lived in a small house on the property, but they owned the entire estate, including the main house that’s built there. Now that you’re seventeen, you have come into your full inheritance, so you get the estate.”


“So, can we go there?” Harry asked, not quite sure he understood all of this. He had been planning to go to Godric’s Hollow during the summer but had not had time yet.


“Yes, Harry, I thought we could go this afternoon after training,” Remus replied.


“Can Ron and Hermione go with us?” Harry asked, not really sure if he wanted them there or not. He didn’t know what his reaction to seeing the house that his mother and father had been killed in would be, and he wasn’t sure if he wanted them to see the reaction, whatever it might be.


“We’ll see to all that later,” Remus said, giving Harry’s shoulder a squeeze. “Right now I suggest you prepare to defend yourself.” Remus drew his wand, as did Moody.


“If you say so.” Harry brightened up and the duels began.


An hour and a half later, Remus was on the floor with a bit of blood trickling out of the back of his head. He had hit the corner of the desk when Harry stunned him. Moody was also on the floor, his peg leg lying several feet away from him. Harry had summoned it, and upon catching it, tossed the wooden leg to the side. He now levitated Moody’s wand just out of his reach.


“Are we finished here, Mad-Eye?” he asked with a grin. He was lowering the wand just close enough for Moody to try to grab it and then pulling it out of reach again.


“Yeah, you win, Potter,” Moody snarled. Harry released the wand and it fell into Moody’s hand. He quickly attempted to send a Stunner at Harry, but Harry was too quick for him and fired a Binding Spell at Moody. Black ropes shot from the end of his wand and Moody was bound tightly on the floor.


Harry walked over to Remus. “Enervate,” he whispered, and Remus opened his eyes. “That was cheating, Mad-Eye,” Harry barked at Moody.


“Well of course. You don’t think that Death Eaters will fight fair, do you?”


“No, I suppose not,” Harry replied with a smile. “Remus, let’s go get a cup of tea before we go, and Mrs. Weasley can look at your head.” Harry and Remus walked out of the room. Harry turned slightly at the doorway and gave his wand a subtle flick.


“Harry, wait, are you going to leave me here?” Moody shouted after them.


“Well, Mad-Eye, you wouldn’t expect me to just release a Death Eater, would you?” Harry smirked. Remus snorted as they walked out of the room.


Twenty minutes later, Harry, Remus, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were sitting in the kitchen, each enjoying separate conversations. The door opened, and Moody stomped into the room. Harry and Remus attempted to cover their smirks.


“What took you so long, Mad-Eye?” Harry chortled. “I didn’t leave the ropes too tight, did I?”


Remus was apparently finding it harder to suppress his laughter as he snorted into his cup. Moody simply glared at them.


“What happened?” Ron asked, and the look on his face clearly said he wanted in on the joke.


Harry related the story up to the point when he and Remus had left the room. “But I can’t for the life of me figure out why it took the great Mad-Eye Moody twenty minutes to get out of those ropes.” Harry again was smiling and trying not to burst out in laughter.


“You bloody well know why it took me so long to get out of that room, and it had nothing to do with the bloody ropes,” Moody exploded.


Harry and Remus both lost their battles with themselves and burst into laughter.


“Harry James Potter, if you ever do something like to me again, I’ll…I’ll turn you into something unnatural,” Moody declared, with a small smirk on his face. Harry and Remus laughed harder.


“What did he do to you, Professor Moody?” Hermione asked.


“That prat stuck my peg leg to the floor with a Sticking Charm. A damn strong one too.” Harry and Remus started to laugh again, along with Ron and Ginny. “I was out of the ropes in five minutes but the Sticking Charm was another thing all together. Finally just had to blast the thing out of the floor and then repair it and the floor.” Moody was shaking his head, but the mirth on his face was easy to see.


Finally the group settled down and the conversation could resume. “Harry, when did you do the Sticking Charm? I never heard you say the spell,” Remus questioned, pouring himself another cup of tea.


“When we were walking out,” Harry answered nonchalantly.


“You didn’t say the incantation though. You can do wordless spells now?” Remus inquired.


“Not many of them, but some of the simple things I can do. Abe said that I would be able to do more as my focus grows,” Harry replied, feeling very good about the state of things at the moment.


“Very nice, Harry, remind me not to make you mad, though,” Ginny exclaimed with a grin. Harry blushed slightly, and noticed that she began to blush as well.


“Ahem.” Remus cleared his throat. “Harry, we really should be going if we are going to get back before nightfall.”


“Where are you two off to this morning?” Ron inquired.


Harry felt uneasy. He was still unsure if he wanted his friends to come with him, but since Remus had mentioned it in front of them, he did not know how to tell them they couldn’t come without hurting their feelings. He looked at Remus, who had a small smirk on his face. He did that on purpose, Harry thought. “Remus and I are going to Godric’s Hollow today. He got an owl for me saying that since I’m of age, well, I’ve inherited my family’s house.” Harry trailed off, not knowing how to describe the estate he apparently now owned.


Ron and Hermione watched him expectantly. They seemed to be waiting for the invitation that they hoped would come. “I would like for you all to go with me, if that is all right,” Harry muttered.


“Of course we will, Harry,” Hermione declared, and she got up from the table. “Ron, let’s go get our cloaks.” Ron followed her out the door.


Remus and Moody started to leave the room. “Harry, we will leave in about five minutes. We’ll use a Portkey to get there, because none of you can Apparate to the village, since you have never been there or even seen a picture of it.” Remus declared as he walked out of the kitchen.


Harry stood up, still not really knowing if he wanted to share this return home with anyone else. He started for the door. “Aren’t you coming, Ginny?” He noticed that she had not moved from the table.


“Do you want me to, Harry?” Ginny questioned. “I mean, this is probably going to be pretty emotional for you, and I know that you don’t like showing your emotions in front of people. Remus sort of put you on the spot there when he mentioned it in front of us. My feelings won’t be hurt, though, if you don’t want us to come. Ron and Hermione’s won’t be either.”


How does she know what is in my head all the time? Harry wondered. “No, Ginny, I think I’d like you guys to come. I think this may be something I want to share with you all.” As he said the words, Harry was surprised to realize that he actually meant them. He did want Ginny, Ron and Hermione with him for this.


Ginny broke into a wide smile and walked past Harry, out of the kitchen. Harry caught the smell of fresh-cut flowers and grinned.
++++++


After arriving in Godric’s Hollow just before noon, they walked about a mile out of the village, along a road moving north. It was warm but overcast, and Harry could see the outline of mountains in the distance as they walked. Finally they reached a path that wound its way off to the right, off the main road. They followed the path for several more minutes, then came to a large, black, iron gate. The fence attached to the gate stretched on in both directions, finally being lost in the trees that surrounded the estate.


“Welcome to Lion’s Watch,” Remus said. He tapped the gate with his wand. “Chudley Cannons,” he said and the gate unlocked and swung open.


“Is that the password?” Ron asked in astonishment.


“Yep, has been since 1978,” Remus replied. “James believed that no one would guess that a person as good at Quidditch as he was would have a team as pitiful as the Canons as a password.”


“Oh,” Ron sighed. Everyone else gave short snort of laughter.


They walked into the grounds, down a tree-lined path. The path inside the gate was at least as long as the one outside it. Every few minutes they would pass a small path that led off the main one.


“What are these little paths for?” Ginny inquired.


“They lead to different buildings or houses on the grounds. This one that we are coming to, if I remember correctly, leads to a Quidditch pitch that James’s father had built for him. Your grandfather loved Quidditch probably more than you or James, Harry. He was a Beater for England in the fifties. That’s one of the reasons he and your grandmother didn’t have children until pretty late in life. They were in their late thirties when James was born.” Remus smiled, and Harry could see that he was reliving some very happy memories.


They walked along for a few more minutes, each person lost in their thoughts. Finally they came to a split in the path. “Okay, this way goes to the main house,” Remus indicated, pointing down the left path. “Moody, would you take Ron, Ginny, and Hermione up to the main house with you? I’ll take Harry to James and Lily’s house and then we will meet you there.”


“Wait, why can’t we go with you and Harry?” Ron inquired.


“Ron, we couldn’t see the house even if we went with them. Harry lived there, but the rest of us would have to be told its location by the Secret-Keeper, and we don’t exactly have access to him, now do we?” Hermione explained. There was a slight bitterness in her voice at the mention of the Secret-Keeper.


“Hermione, when did you figure that all out?” Remus asked.


“While we were walking, Professor,” Hermione declared.


“She really is the brightest witch I have ever met,” Moody said, clearly impressed. “You should be thinking of being an Auror; you’d be great to have on an investigation.”


Hermione turned pink and started examining a leaf that she had picked from a tree, before continuing, “But Professor, how is it that you can see the house?”


Remus’ faced darkened considerably as he replied, “I was the test, Hermione. Peter told me the secret to see if the charm had worked. I didn’t realize it at the time, but a few days before James and Lily were killed, Peter told me where the house was. He only mentioned it in passing, but he did tell me. I thought Sirius was the Secret-Keeper, so I didn’t think anything of it. When we realized it was Peter, I came to see if I could find the house. Sure enough, I could see it clear as day. Hagrid and I are the only people that can see the house now, except for Harry.


“We’ll see you in a bit then,” Harry spoke nervously. He and Remus turned to go.


They walked down the path for a few hundred feet and came to the ruins of a red brick house. It was two stories, larger than the house on Privet Drive, and while the first floor seemed mostly intact, the upper floor was almost completely destroyed. Bits of brick and wood were scattered throughout the yard, testament to the explosion that took place on that night sixteen years before. There was a small wood-frame shed just off the left side of the house.


“All right, Harry?” Remus asked. Harry nodded and they walked in.


Harry crossed the threshold and shuddered. He could see the scorch marks and gouges in the walls that indicated spells that had been fired and blocked. Pictures hung on some of the walls; they all looked faded from sixteen years of exposure to the weather. Broken furniture was scattered over most of the living room. Harry noticed a framed picture of his father, mother, Sirius, Remus and Peter all waving to him. It was their graduation photo.


He saw what must have been a bridal portrait of his mother. She was wearing a long white wedding gown and sitting on a chair that almost looked like a throne. He noticed that the portrait didn’t move.


“That portrait was done by a Muggle artist. Lily didn’t like the idea of her portrait having conversations with people. She said it ‘creeped her out,’ so James didn’t have it enchanted to move,” Remus explained, seemingly reading Harry’s thoughts.


They walked on through the house. They found James’s diploma from Hogwarts hanging in the den beside his desk. His broom was sitting in the corner, a pair of gloves and goggles on the table next to it. On the desk was a Golden Snitch. It sat in a box, so that only half of the little gold ball was visible. Harry assumed that would keep it from flying away, and he wondered if perhaps it was the Snitch he’d seen in Snape’s memory.


They moved upstairs, where there was not much to see. The rooms were all but destroyed, so it was impossible to find much of anything. “Remus, what’s in the shed?” Harry asked, seeing it again from the ruined second floor.


“That’s where James used to tinker with his broom. He loved to make little adjustments here and there with it. He always said that when he retired he wanted to build his own broom.”


“What did he do?” Harry questioned.


“Mostly he worked for the Order after we graduated. He kept a small business as a private flying instructor but that was just a cover. I don’t think he ever even had a client. He and Lily became very involved in the war, and being independently wealthy allowed them to do things that some of us weren’t able to do. They traveled a lot, both for pleasure and for the Order.”


They started back down the stairs. Harry caught his reflection in a mirror on the wall over the fireplace. He could see streaks from tears that he hadn’t realized had come and quickly swiped at his eyes to clear them away.


They walked out of the house and started down the path again. “Remus, are they buried here?” Harry inquired.


“Yes, Harry, there is a private cemetery along one of the other paths. Would you like to go visit them?”


“Let’s go the main house first. I think I would like them to meet my friends.”


They walked on in silence until they reached the main house. It was beyond anything Harry could have expected. Harry had seen Buckingham Palace once on a school trip to London, when he was nine; this place was almost as large. There was a fountain in front. “That’s the Gryffindor Lion in the fountain,” Harry commented.


“Yep, the Potters have been in Gryffindor for a very long time, Harry. This house is called Lion’s Keep. It has carried that name for close to 700 years. Of course it has changed a bit in that time. The building has been rebuilt four times over the years. This last version of Lion’s Keep was built in 1689. Your dad told me all about the history of the place when I stayed with him one summer. Bored me to death with the stories, but I acted like I listened. Most of it stuck anyway,” Remus grinned.


“Why didn’t they live here?” Harry asked as they walked up to the mansion.


“Oh, Lily hated this place. Actually, hated is too strong of a word. She loved the history behind it, but she didn’t want to live in it. She thought it was too big and old for her tastes. She had James, Sirius and I build their little brick house the summer they got married.”


Harry didn’t say anything while they walked inside. They entered a huge hall with large rooms off to each side. Harry noticed a piano in one of the rooms and a long, dark, cherry wood dining table in another.


“You know, I don’t think anyone has eaten at that table in thirty years,” Remus commented when Harry looked into the dining room. “We never ate at it, since it was so big and formal. James and Lily liked to eat in the little private dining room off the kitchen.” Remus pointed towards a door in the back of the room. “We spent a lot of nights shooting pool and talking about girls during the summers we spent here. Of course, Sirius spent most of the night talking about the girls. James was too hung up on Lily to have eyes for anyone else.”


As Harry and Remus wandered around the house, Harry could see why his mother had not wanted to live there. It was certainly too big for one couple and far too stuffy. “How did they finally get together?” Harry asked.


“Well, Harry, like I have told you before, James and Sirius both did a lot of growing up between the time you saw in that memory of Snape’s,” Remus spat the name out, “and our seventh year.” Remus closed his eyes as he thought back to those years so long ago. “I think what finally did it though was the Halloween Ball our seventh year. Dumbledore had not allowed a Hogsmead trip that year because Voldemort was gaining in power; instead, the Halloween feast was changed to a ball. James wanted to ask Lily more than I think he ever wanted anything in his life. They were both Head Boy and Girl, so they had gotten to know each other really well.


“Finally James worked up the nerve to ask her, and went to look for her. Sirius and I, being the supportive friends we were, sneaked down to watch him strike out, yet again. He found her in the common room, but she wasn’t alone. There was a small, and, I must admit, not very attractive fourth-year girl sitting on the couch with her. James walked up to them, ready to interrupt, when he noticed that the girl was crying and Lily was scowling.


“‘They said no one would ever want to go the Halloween Ball with me,’ the fourth year sobbed. ‘They said I was too ugly and that no one in their right mind would want to be seen with me.’


“Well, needless to say, Lily was fit to be tied. She was ready to have the entire group of fourth-year girls--that was who had been picking on this little girl--in detention for the rest of the year.


“So James, out of nowhere, stepped up to the couch with this terribly serious look on his face.


“‘All right, Evans?’ he asked.


“‘Not now, James, don’t you see I am trying to help this young lady?’ Lily responded in exasperation.


“‘I can see that. I was wondering if I might have a word?’ James queried. Lily rolled her eyes and grunted. ‘Not with you, Evans; I can talk with you most anytime. I was wondering if I could ask Lucy something.’


“Lily glanced up at James with a bewildered look in her eye, which quickly changed to suspicion. ‘Yes, you may, but I won’t go too far.’ She got up and leaned closer to James. ‘And if you upset her anymore, I will curse you into next year, Potter,’ she whispered.


“James just scowled at her. ‘Of course I won’t do anything to hurt her.’ He took a seat on the couch next to Lucy. ‘Lucy, I was wondering if you would go to the Halloween Ball with me.’


“The jaws of both Lucy the fourth year and Lily dropped.


“So your dad went to the Halloween Ball with Lucy, and Lily went with me. Sirius had two dates, who didn’t know about each other until halfway through the ball. Let’s just say that didn’t end very well. Lily finally saw the compassion in James that she had wanted to see. She’d liked him for a long time, she later admitted to me, but that night was when she fell in love with him. The funny thing was that at the end of the night, Lucy told James that he was just too old for her so they couldn’t see each other anymore. She started dating a fourth-year Ravenclaw boy, I think.”


Harry was stunned. He had always thought it was some grand heroic act that had changed his mum’s mind about his dad. It turned out to be a simple act of kindness. They walked on and finally ran into Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Moody on the third floor, standing in a ballroom.


“Harry, this place is amazing!” Hermione exclaimed. “It is just so big and beautiful. I wouldn’t want to live here, but wow, what a gorgeous house.”


“Yeah, you should rent this place out for parties or something,” Ron said.


The group continued to walk through the many rooms of the house. Remus would tell stories about him, James and Sirius in the various parts of the house they liked to hang out in. On the fourth floor they entered a parlor in which there was a large, tan tapestry hanging on the far wall. It looked very similar to the family tree tapestry in Grimmauld Place. In fact, it was the Potter family tree. Harry looked at it with disgust on his face. Moody must have caught the look.

“Not everyone who has a family tree in their house is into that pureblood nonsense, Harry. Just because a family is proud of its heritage doesn’t mean they think they are better than everyone else, and I’ll thank you to wipe that look off your face. I knew James and Lily, along with James’s mum and dad. No finer family could you find,” Moody stated with a glare.


Harry was stung by the rebuke and quickly blushed scarlet. He walked up to the tapestry and joined Hermione, who had already moved towards it. The family tree was massive, with far too many names to read all at once. He decided that at some point he would come and explore his family heritage, but now was not the time for it.


They spent another couple of hours wandering around the mansion. Harry was impressed that it was so well-kept and suspected that when he inherited the estate he also inherited a house elf or two. He decided to keep this information away from Hermione for as long as possible.


When they stepped out of the house it was nearly four in the afternoon. “Harry, do you still want to visit your parents’ graves?” Remus questioned.


“Yeah, I think so.”


They started walking back down the entry path. Halfway back to the gate, they turned right, down a long path that led into a small cemetery. There were only about a dozen gravestones. Harry shivered at the sight, remembering when he’d been back in the Riddle cemetery only a couple of days before. Remus pointed out which graves belonged to Harry’s parents, and Harry walked over while the others stayed back.


He stood before the gravestones and sank to his knees in front of them. Tears fell from his eyes as he read the markers. He just knelt there for a while, lost in the well of emotions he was feeling.


He didn’t know how long he was there before he spoke. “Hi, mum and dad, I’m home. Sorry I haven’t been here in so long, but life has been pretty crazy for me, though you probably already know that. I wanted to say thank you for taking such good care of me and loving me so much. I know about the prophecy now, and I promise I will do everything I can to beat him.”


“My friends are here. They really liked the big house, but I liked the smaller one. I think when I graduate I may try to fix it up and live there. It would be good to live at home for a while.


“I think you both would like my friends. Ron Weasley is the tall, gangly bloke with the red hair. We’ve been friends since the train ride to Hogwarts our first year. He’s great. Sort of like you and Sirius, dad. I think he reminds me of Sirius a little.


“The girl with the brown hair is my other best friend, Hermione Granger. Everyone says she’s the brightest witch of her age, but I don’t believe them. I think she is the brightest witch of most any age. Mum, I think you would like her because she tries to keep Ron and me out of trouble. She doesn’t always succeed, but she certainly does try. You know how most people have a voice in their heads--like their conscience, and that voice is usually their mothers--well, Hermione’s voice is the voice inside my head. I know it should be you, mum, but, well, I don’t really remember what you sound like. I hope that’s all right.


“The other girl, the one with the red hair, is Ginny. You can probably tell that she is Ron’s sister. I don’t really know what she is to me. I know she is my friend but…” His voice trailed off. “I don’t know. I guess, dad, you were my age when you decided that you loved mum. I wish you were here to tell me how I’m to know that. She’s great though. For some reason I think she and mum have very similar personalities. I think you both would like her a lot.” He fell silent again.


He sat there, tears falling down his cheeks for several more minutes. After a time, he felt a small hand slide onto his the back of his head and down to his right shoulder. He then felt a warm presence on his left. Ginny was kneeling beside him with her arm draped across his shoulders. He looked up quickly and saw her face. Her eyes were bright with unshed tears. When their eyes met, her tears began to fall.


Harry quickly moved to wipe his own tears away. He hated showing weakness like this, especially to Ginny.


His hand came to his face and he started to look away from her. She placed her free hand on his to stop him from swiping at the tears. He turned back to her.


“It’s okay, Harry, I won’t tell,” Ginny breathed.


They remained there, kneeling before the gravestones, Harry taking comfort in Ginny’s simple act of kindness. As the sun was setting, they knew they had to leave. They got up and walked back to the group.


“Thanks, Ginny,” Harry said as they walked back down the path.


“You’re welcome, Harry. That’s what I’m here for,” Ginny replied with a small smile.


They reached the gate to Lion’s Watch. Remus relocked it, and Moody took a stick from the ground. He turned it into a Portkey, and they left Godric’s Hollow just as the sun sank behind the mountains in the distance.
+++++++


Well I hope that was fun. This is one of my favorite chapters so far. It has also been one that has taken form work then most of the others because of some of the details with the Fidelus Charm. I hope you liked it


Gigantic thanks to my pre betas, cableguysmom and Kerrbear. And even bigger gigantic thanks to my tremendous beta Jenc. If you are looking for a great beta give her a chance, after I finish this story of course.


Coming next, a trip to Diagon Alley, and more Death Eater fun.

Why Good WIll Defeat Evil by ckwright51
I don't own any of this. JKR is the only owner of the Potter universe.
++++++


Harry stretched and enjoyed the comfort of his bed. He’d been training for three solid weeks and was exhausted. It seemed everyone in the house had spent the weeks since the incident in the graveyard killing themselves with work. Ron and Hermione would spend hours in the garden studying, but every time Harry asked about it, one or the other would change the subject. Ginny spent the weeks preparing for her O.W.L.s, which she took the week of her birthday.


“I only get to turn sixteen once and these stupid exams are mucking it all up,” she’d growled during the small after-dinner party that her mother had put on for her the Sunday before her birthday. Harry had noticed that she did perk up more when she received his gift, a gold locket that opened to reveal a picture of them both during the wedding.


Neville and Luna made regular appearances in the house as well”usually spending the day, sometimes staying the night. Order members were constantly in and out, but none of them had much to report; Voldemort was surprisingly quiet.


“Probably just got his nose bent over what happened at Hogwarts, and with Harry escaping and all. He’s up to something though,” Moody sneered.


“CONSTANT VIGILANCE!” chorused all those in the room.


“Exactly,” Moody replied, apparently not realizing he was being mocked.


Harry rolled over in his bed. He grabbed his glasses, put them on and checked the time on the clock on his nightstand. 8:45. He dropped his head back to his pillow and relaxed. I love Sundays, he thought blissfully to himself. He sniggered as he remembered Uncle Vernon saying the same thing when Harry was almost eleven.


He did love Sundays because that was his day to rest. He could have a lie-in, and relax. Harry closed his eyes and began building the walls in his mind. He had taken to doing this every morning since Aberforth had told him he could make connections to the people he cared for. He would close his mind off to the distractions around him and connect with each of his friends in turn.


Ron was still asleep, so there was not much going on there”just a feeling of contentment. Hermione was awake and there was feeling of concern coming from her. She was worried about something, but Harry could not gather what it was.


He reached out towards Ginny, placing a window in one of the walls that he’d worked so hard to build. He then pictured her there: her flaming red hair, her brown eyes that always sparkled with life and every freckle on her adorable face.


He felt the connection grow stronger and immediately felt the terror within her. His eyes sprang open; he knew something was wrong.


“Ron!” he shouted as he jumped out of bed.


“Wha--mum--no just five more--smgggh.” Ron was back to sleep.


Harry didn’t wait. He grabbed his wand and rushed out of the room, a sense of foreboding filling his mind. As he reached the bottom of the stairs, there was a shriek from the kitchen. He took the last couple of steps at a leap and tore off towards the kitchen door.


He slammed the door open and charged in, his wand in his outstretched right hand, ready to act. He was surprised to see three smiling faces looking at him in a perplexed manner. Ginny, Hermione and Mrs. Weasley were sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee. Ginny held a piece of parchment in her hands as she grinned widely at Harry.


“What’s happened?” Harry yelled. “Ginny, what’s wrong, why did you scream like that? What is so bloody funny?”


Ginny gave a short wolf whistle as she looked Harry up and down. Mrs. Weasley quickly smacked her on the back of the head.


“Ouch, mum, what was that for?” she asked, rubbing the back of her head but never taking her eyes off Harry.


“Ginevra Weasley, you know exactly what that was for,” Mrs. Weasley said, blushing slightly and grinning. “Harry, dear, why don’t you go and put a shirt on. There is nothing wrong. Ginny shouted because she just got her exam scores back. Nine O.W.L.s, isn’t that wonderful?” Mrs. Weasley could not contain her glee anymore and jumped up to hug Ginny.


Harry looked down at his bare chest and turned scarlet.


“Ginny, I thought you said he had a dragon tattoo?” Hermione questioned with a smirk.


“Oh, ah sorry, I didn’t--” Harry stammered as he crossed his chest with his arms and backed out of the room. As soon as the door closed, Harry heard the kitchen explode into laughter. He dropped his head, still blushing horribly, and stalked back upstairs.
+++++++


An hour later, a fully dressed Harry entered the kitchen. Giggles immediately began as Harry took up his normal place at the table. Ron entered behind him, looking bleary-eyed and yawning.


“Morning all. Hey, what is everyone giggling about?” Ron asked, looking at himself, trying to decide what he’d done.

“Oh, we were just were just thinking about Harry without his shirt,” commented Ginny as she reached for her glass of pumpkin juice.


Ron’s ears turned pink. “What is Harry doing without his shirt?” Ron began to look suspiciously between Harry and Ginny. “Why would you be thinking about Harry without a shirt?”


“It’s nothing, Ron, just sit down and have some breakfast,” Hermione said.


Ron sat and--much to Harry’s frustration--was told all about Harry’s sudden appearance in the kitchen that morning. Ron snorted at Hermione’s comment to Ginny about the tattoo.


Harry just sat listening in embarrassment. He did admit to himself that it was pretty funny now that it was all over.


“Guess I just got a little overly concerned, maybe my hero thing again,” he said, grinning at Hermione.


Hermione cocked an eyebrow up, surprised that Harry could make light of that particular conversation.


“So, Ginny, nine O.W.L.s, that is really impressive,” Harry proclaimed, changing the subject.


“Yeah, I was pretty surprised,” Ginny explained. “I didn’t think I did well on Potions at all and Ancient Runes seemed like a total mess, but I got E’s on them both. I got O’s in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, Herbology, and Care of Magical Creatures. Only got A’s in History and Astronomy, so I will probably drop them. Not the most interesting classes in the world anyway.”


The fire blazed green in the fireplace just as Ginny finished speaking. Professor McGonagall stepped out and dusted herself off.


“Good morning, Minerva, how are you today?” Mrs. Weasley asked.


“Very good considering the circumstances,” Professor McGonagall stated flatly. “It has been a very busy summer, with all the--changes and everything that has gone on. I don’t really think I am ready for the new term to begin, but the day is coming like it or not. Miss Granger, may I have a word?” McGonagall stepped out of the kitchen without waiting for a reply. Hermione quickly got up and followed.


“What is that all about do you think?” Ron asked no one in particular. “I wonder if she--oh never mind,” he said as he received a sharp look from Ginny.


Several minutes later, Professor McGonagall reappeared through the kitchen door, followed by a stunned-looking Hermione. “Well, we will see you all in a few days. Here are your letters, and Miss Weasley, congratulations on your O.W.L.s. I am most impressed and trust that you will continue in my class.” She handed a pack of Hogwarts letters to Hermione.


“Yes, of course, Professor, and thank you,” Ginny replied with a small grin.


McGonagall bid farewell and reentered the fire. Once she was gone, all eyes turned to Hermione, who had sat back in her spot beside Ron and looked pale and nervous.


“Hermione, what is it?” Ron asked suspiciously. “Is something wrong, your parents, what’s going on?”


Hermione took a deep breath and opened her mouth to speak. No words came out. She attempted again. “I--Professor McGonagall”she, ah, asked me to teach the first and second years of Transfiguration for her,” she finally managed.


There was silence for a few seconds as this news sunk in. Ron finally broke that silence. “WOW!” he shouted. “Hermione, that’s brilliant. You must be the youngest teacher they have ever had at Hogwarts.”


“Yeah, I am. Professor McGonagall told me that she needed someone to help her with classes since she has all the headmaster--I mean headmistress--responsibilities, so she decided to ask me to do it. She said the governors were all behind the idea.” Hermione still had a look of wonder on her face, but the joy at being asked to do this seemed to be overwhelming her shock. “Oh, let me give you your letters,” she said, remembering that she had them.


They all began to open their letters. To no one’s surprise, Hermione’s contained a red and gold badge with the initials HG on it. “Hermione, that’s great! I mean, everyone knew it would be you, but still, Head Girl, and a professor, that’s amazing,” Ron gushed. Harry saw the look of admiration in his eyes and knew that although Ron never worried much over academics, seeing Hermione receive this sort of honor made Ron very proud.


Ginny opened her letter and found her list of available classes. She also found a shining red and gold badge with a P stamped on it.


“Hey, Ginny, you made Prefect, that’s great,” Harry stated with a broad grin. Ginny looked doubtful. “What’s the matter, Ginny? You made prefect; that’s good news, isn’t it?”


Ginny brightened up. “Of course, but it probably means that our prefect from last year isn’t returning to Hogwarts.”


“Oh, another prefect in the family!” Mrs. Weasley shouted, and she ran over to give Ginny a hug. “I just have to go and tell your father. He will be so proud.” She quickly bustled out of the kitchen.


Ron opened his letter and found his Prefect badge, which he had turned in the previous year. “Well, guess I’m not Head Boy this year. Good thing--I don’t think Fred and George would ever let me live it down, and I don’t want to walk around with ‘Big Head Boy’ on my chest like Per--” Ron’s face fell at the thought of Percy. He was having a terribly difficult time with the fact that his brother had betrayed them to Voldemort.

Hermione, looking a little disappointed, walked over to Ron and gave him a hug. Harry could tell that she was concerned about Ron’s feelings about Percy and was disappointed that Ron had not been chosen as Head Boy. Ron started running his fingers through her hair.


Finally Harry opened his letter and found the gold C of the Quidditch captain there. His shoulders fell and he dropped the envelope on the table. “Ron, I have something to ask you,” he said flatly.


Ron, who seemed to be truly enjoying his time with Hermione’s hair, looked up. “Whatever you need, mate,” he declared.


“I--I want you to be the team captain this year,” Harry finally managed.


Ron was shocked back to reality and released Hermione. “What do you mean? I can’t be captain; you are the captain. Why should I be captain?”


“Well, I have been thinking about this since the wedding, when that girl, Jenny White, talked about her dad coming to watch a game. I just don’t think I will have time with the search for the Hor--” He stopped and swallowed, looking at Ginny, who was staring at him in confusion. Slowly her face changed from confusion to understanding, followed by anger at realizing that Harry hadn’t told her everything yet.


“What search for what Hor-somethings, Harry?” Ginny demanded.


“What does that have to do with it? We all are going to look for those bloody things, so why can’t you be captain?” Ron demanded at the same time. “What makes you think that I will have time?”


“Wait, one at a time!” Harry shouted over the oncoming questions. “First, Ron, I won’t have time to play at all this year, at least I don’t think I will. I have training and Occlumency, plus we have to look for the Horcruxes. You will be a better captain than I was anyway.”


Ron opened his mouth to protest, but Harry cut him off with a wave of his hand. “Ginny, I should have told you about this earlier. I should have told you about it when we talked the day after Dumbledore’s will was read. Before Dumbledore died, he gave me a mission. He told me that I could only tell Ron and Hermione, so they are all I have told. I will tell you now since it is clear that you are going to be part of this no matter what. If you want to back out of the fight, I will understand.”


Harry spent the next several minutes explaining about the search that he was going to have to go on for the Horcruxes”explaining why it was so significant that Nagini was there in the graveyard and what would probably lay ahead in the search. When he was finished, Ginny looked stunned.


“Harry, you should have told me. I wish you would have told me before Dumbledore died,” she remarked, giving him a stern look. “That was where you and Dumbledore went the night he died, isn’t it?” Harry nodded.


“Harry, I told you before, I am in this with you,” she said with a small smile. “You may not be my boyfriend, but that doesn’t change the fact that WE all have a job to do in this.


Harry gratefully returned the smile and got up to leave.


“Harry, we aren’t done talking about this!” Ron demanded, standing up.


“Yes we are, Ron,” Harry stated, pushing the captain’s badge across the table at him before walking out the door.
+++++++


Three days later, a trip to Diagon Alley was arranged. At first Mrs. Weasley said she would go and pick up the teens’ school things, but they were desperate to get out of the house. The garden was nice, but the lot of them were going stir-crazy stuck in the house.

“Besides, old Voldemort has been quiet,” Ron reasoned to his mother. After having faced the snake, Dementors and Death Eaters and come out on top, Ron’s concern over using Voldemort’s name had disappeared.

Mrs. Weasley finally relented and the Order arranged the trip. Several Order members would be on hand to provide protection, and several more would be undercover. Remus, Tonks, Bill, and Fleur would go with Harry and the others, along with Mr. Weasley. Most of the other Order members would be watching undercover. They arranged to Floo to Fred and George’s shop at ten in the morning.


The grouped finally reassembled in the back room of the shop around 10:15. Harry tripped on his way out of the fireplace and fell into a stack of Canary Cream boxes, knocking many onto the floor.


They walked out into the store front and found Fred and George talking with one of the few customers in the store.


“Wow, this place is empty,” Ron said looking around.


“The whole Alley is like this,” Fred explained, coming over. “Not many willing to come out and shop.”


“Hurts business a little, but the mail order stuff is going like crazy,” George continued.


“It doesn’t really matter anyway; most of our stock right now is going to the Ministry, if you know what I mean,” Fred declared, pointing towards the back room where the twins kept their more useful Shield Hats and other inventions.


“I see you still have the ‘U-No-Poo’ poster on the wall,” Mr. Weasley said with a grin.


“Yeah, those are big sellers,” Fred answered with a smile.

“Just our little way of taking the micky out of old Moldy Shorts,” George proclaimed. He looked at Harry, who nodded his agreement as most of the others shuddered at the thought of insulting the greatest dark wizard of the age.


The crowd left the store and started to meander through the Alley. They noticed that many of the shops were indeed simply closed and boarded up. The street was almost devoid of life, and it didn’t take Harry long to pick out most of the Order members in the area.


They made a quick stop at Gringotts to get money for the day, then walked from shop to shop, getting potion supplies from the apothecary, books for the new year, and fresh parchment and quills. Hermione also purchased a teacher’s planner and grade book. They then proceeded to Madam Malkin’s to find Ginny some new dress robes as her present for making prefect.


The guys were not terribly interested in clothes shopping, so while the girls looked for Ginny’s new robes, they went to check out Quidditch supplies. They all agreed to meet back at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes at 11:30.


At 11:15, Harry, Ron, Mr. Weasley, Bill and Remus stood in front of the twins’ shop. They had just arrived and were waiting for the girls to return when several loud “pops” were heard up and down the street. They all quickly dove into the shop as they saw a dozen Death Eaters appear in the street. The few people who were out scattered in all directions, but the Death Eaters didn’t seem to notice them.


“How did they know that I was here?” Harry questioned, looking around the shop. He didn’t receive an answer as spells started pouring into the shop, shattering glass and destroying merchandise.


The first volley of spells did not go unanswered as Order members opened fire from their hiding places. The Death Eaters, exposed in the center of the street, quickly backed away from the shop-front to seek cover on the opposite side of the street. There were more “popping” sounds, and when Harry looked up there seemed to be another dozen Death Eaters standing on the steps of Gringotts. They didn’t seem to be attempting to get into the bank but merely using the raised steps as the high ground from which to continue the attack.


Spells were flying in all directions as Death Eaters and Order members sought to gain the upper hand. No additional attempts were made to work towards the twins’ shop.


Harry fired a Cutting Curse at a hooded figure that raced in the direction of Knockturn Alley. The curse caught him on the side and he collapsed in a heap. As the Death Eater rose, he was hit by multiple Stunners, and his hood flew back off his head. Harry didn’t recognize him, but the man didn’t look much older than Harry himself. Harry ducked just as a Bludgeoning Curse flew towards his position, knocking him back several feet. He was quickly back on his feet, seeking a new target.


“Harry, what about the girls?” Ron called over the noise of people shouting curses at each other. “We need to get to them.”


Harry thought quickly, then raised the walls in his mind. He reached out to make contact with Ginny. Focusing on her, he found she was scared but determined and not panicking. “Ron, I think they’re all right at the moment and I don’t see how we are going to get to them.”


“What about the roof?” Ron said, his brow furrowed in thought. “If we can get up to the roof we may be able to get to Malkin’s.”


“No good, Ron, we don’t even know if they are still there. Going to the roof is a good idea though. We can get a better angle, maybe fire down on some of these guys.


Harry half-stooped, half-crawled towards the back of the shop. Fred and George saw him move and quickly moved towards him. “Where are you going?” they asked simultaneously.


“Roof--Ron and I think we can take advantage of that position,” Harry explained, still crawling towards the back.


“Good idea; we’ll go with you.” And with a “pop” they were gone.


“I keep forgetting we can Apparate,” Ron said, smiling despite the situation.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed, and they both Apparated to the roof.


From this position, Harry was able to see the action much more clearly. He stalked around the roof, keeping low so that no Death Eaters could see him. The twins started firing spells at the hooded figures in the street in front of their shop. Harry and Ron took positions with a clear view of Gringotts. The distance was too far to be very effective with their spells but they began firing nonetheless. Several Death Eaters were Stunned and down before they realized they were being attacked from above.


Behind them there were several popping sounds. Ron and Harry whirled around to see that six Death Eaters had appeared on the roof. Fred and George spun around as well and began firing. Two of the Death Eaters went down to Stunners, apparently not expecting their attackers to react so quickly.


Harry fired a Hurling Hex at one of the Death Eaters, but he blocked it then fired a Slicing Charm at Harry that caught him in the leg just below the knee. Harry gasped as his leg began to bleed, but the damage was minimal. He saw Ron levitate a piece of stone masonry that had been broken from the building’s façade. The stone was then hurled at a Death Eater, striking him on the forehead; he went down in a heap.


The twins were holding their own against two Death Eaters, leaving one for Ron and Harry. Harry fired a Stunner at the Death Eater before diving for cover as a Cruciatus Curse came flying back at him. They’re getting more serious, Harry thought.


“Diffindo!” he shouted and the curse struck the ground just in front of the Death Eater. Dust and concrete flew up into the man’s face.

“Silencio!” Ron yelled, hitting the Death Eater in the chest. The man quickly began waving his arm but no spell would come out.


“Expelliarmus!” Harry exclaimed. The spell found its mark and sent the Death Eater hurtling backwards onto the rooftop. “Accio wand,” he said and the Death Eater’s wand flew into his hand. Harry quickly scanned the rooftop. The twins were standing over the body of a Stunned woman with brown hair, placing a Binding Charm on her. Again, Harry didn’t recognize her. Voldemort must be recruiting, he thought. Ron had bound the other two and was moving towards the third. There was one missing.


“Where is the last one?” Harry asked, limping towards the twins.


“Oh him, well he sort of had an accident,” Fred explained with a grin.


“Yeah, while we were fighting the git decided that it would be a good idea to just charge at us.”


“So he charged, and we moved.”


“We moved and he fell.”


“He fell and now he doesn’t move anymore.”


Harry looked over the side of the wall. The spells had stopped flying. Aurors filled the streets, rounding up the Death Eaters that didn’t get away. Lying in the street, at the base of the building, was the broken form of a very large blond man in black robes. His mask lay several feet away from him. Once again Harry couldn’t tell who it was.


“And that, Harry, is why good will always prevail against evil.” George clapped Harry on the back.


“Because evil is clumsy,” Fred explained, clapping Ron on the back.


Harry and Ron both looked a little green, not really enjoying the twins’ morbid sense of humor.


“HARRY, RON!” came a shout from below.


“Up here,” Ron yelled as he looked over the edge. Harry looked with him and saw Hermione and Ginny standing below on the ground. He and Ron Apparated down to them.


“You all right?” Ron asked, looking at Hermione with deep concern. She had a large knot under her right eye and her left arm was limp.


“Nothing Madam Pomfrey can’t fix. How about you two?”


“Harry got hit but I am okay,” Ron explained.


“Harry, what happened?” Ginny asked in concern. Harry noticed that she didn’t appear injured.


“I’m fine. It’s just a scratch,” he replied.


“There you lot are. We need to get you all out of here,” Mr. Weasley ordered. “Go and Floo back to headquarters. Tell Molly that everyone is all right and that I’ll be home later.”


They arrived back at headquarters and found Molly Weasley in a state of panic. It took them several minutes to calm her down enough to tell her what happened. Finally, she realized that Harry and Hermione were injured and quickly set to work healing their wounds, which were minor, so Madam Pomfrey was not even called in.
++++++++

Hours later, Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione were sitting in the study discussing the battle.


“Harry, I can’t believe that you didn’t come charging after us when the attack started and we weren’t with you,” Ginny stated in a mock hurt voice.


“Oh, Ginny, I just thought, well I knew you could take care of yourself and--” Harry stammered, alarmed that he had done something wrong.


Ginny took pity on him and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I was joking.” She smiled and ruffled his black hair.


“So, what was the damage?” Hermione asked. “Do we know why they attacked today?”


“From what Moody said earlier, they were supposed to attack the twins’ shop,” Harry explained. “They didn’t like the poster in their window. He thinks that it was more than just that though. He thinks it was an announcement that Voldemort is going to be more active now.”


“It looks like all the injuries were minor. Tonks is going to be in St. Mungo’s for a few days but considering that we got attacked by two dozen Death Eaters and the only deaths were on their side, I’d say we did all right,” Hermione stated.


“Yeah, but this is only going to get worse. Voldemort isn’t going to be happy about this,” Harry replied. “Things are going to get much worse before they get better.”
+++++++


A/N: Well I hope that was fun. I really liked the humor of this chapter. Hope you did as well. If so let me know.

As Always major thanks have to go out to my pre-betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Major thanks to my extraordinary beta JenC for all her work and helpful hints. Thanks Ladies you’re the best.

Next we will take a ride on the Hogwarts Express and get to see Draco for the first time.
Trains, Dementors, and Bighead Boys by ckwright51
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of this. JKR is the sole owner of the Potter Universe.
++++++


Harry and Ron stalked into the kitchen early the morning of September first. It was time to go back to Hogwarts. The Ministry had provided them with transportation and protection for this trip to King’s Cross Station, and they were scheduled to leave at ten.


“Anyone we know die?” Ron asked sarcastically. In the week following the attack in Diagon Alley, he had taken to asking the question every day. He picked up a piece of toast, stifled a yawn and began eating.


Hermione looked up from her copy of the Daily Prophet and glared at him. “Ron, this is not something to joke about,” she hissed. “There was another attack last night. Five Muggles were killed in Blackpool. That makes six attacks in the last week. Moody was right”Voldemort is increasing his attacks.” She returned to her paper.


The group sat in silence for several more minutes, until Hermione shouted and slammed the paper down on the table. Her hand came down beside Ron’s cup of pumpkin juice with such force that the cup was launched into the air, spilling all over Ron’s plate.


“What the”Hermione, what is the matter with you?” Ron shouted, jumping up from the table.


“Oh, sorry, Ron,” Hermione said apologetically. She quickly removed her wand and began drawing the spilled juice into it.


Harry grabbed the paper and began scanning the articles, looking for one that would have caused Hermione to become angry. He found it on page two.


The Chosen One
What Is the Connection Between He Who Must Not Be Named and the Boy Who Lived?
Special Editorial by
Dolores Umbridge
Senior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic



Over the years, I have had many opportunities to witness the remarkable abilities of one Harry James Potter. He was by far the most accomplished Defense Against the Dark Arts student I had the privilege of teaching during my time as a professor at Hogwarts. In fact, the very idea that he was so accomplished in the Dark Arts has led some in the Ministry to speculate as to the source of his knowledge.


Is it not interesting that on the same day one of our most trusted Ministry employees is kidnapped, Harry Potter was at the Ministry? Harry Potter was even, perhaps, the last one to see poor Percy Weasley before his disappearance. We at the Ministry also find it disturbing that during the unfortunate attack on Diagon Alley several days ago, Mr. Potter was once again on the scene.


This information, combined with the fact that Mr. Potter has on countless occasions been connected with He Who Must Not Be Named and his activities in the past, leads some of us to question: Is Harry Potter “the Chosen One””as some have claimed”who will defeat the Dark Lord, or is he secretly in league with him?




Harry slammed the paper down on the table, spilling Ron’s juice again.


“That”idiot!” Harry exploded. “What does she think I was doing all those times? We were fighting Voldemort, not helping him.”


“She’s trying to turn public opinion against you, Harry. She knows that you have refused to help Minister Scrimgeour so she is trying to use that fact against you”to force you to make a public declaration of support for what the Ministry is doing,” Hermione explained. “I bet she thinks that either way it’s a plus for her. If you openly show your support for the Minister then she was the one to get you to do it. She looks good. If you don’t, then she can forge more support against you and when Scrimgeour goes, she can use this to help herself take power.”


“But the Ministry is giving us cars to get to the train station today. How does Umbridge explain that?” Ron inquired, after looking at the article.


“She doesn’t have to. Nobody knows about it,” Ginny stated. “Since it’s not a known fact, she doesn’t have to acknowledge it.”


“Is there anything we can do?” Ron asked.


“Not much to do. The Ministry is what it is. We can’t do anything about it. They aren’t going to defeat Voldemort anyway,” Harry declared. “That, I guess, is my job.” He gave a heavy sigh and walked out of the room.
+++++


At a quarter past ten, the group still had not left. The usual chaos of leaving for King’s Cross ensued.


“Hermione, have you seen my broom?” Ginny shouted from the hall.


“No, try Ron’s closet,” Hermione answered her.


“What would it be”oh never mind, I found it.”


“Crookshanks, get away from Hedwig,” Harry bellowed from his room. “Hermione, please come and take your cat somewhere.”


“Ronald Weasley, if you are not down here in one minute we are leaving without you!” Mrs. Weasley yelled.


“On my way, Mum! Harry, do you have my Transfiguration book?”


“I think it was on Hermione’s bed, Ron,” Ginny shouted. “What was it doing there do you suppose?” she questioned, drawing a withering glare from Ron while his ears turned a nice shade of pink.


Harry sniggered as he dragged his trunk down the stairs.


Finally, at half past ten, the group piled into the Ministry cars and they were on their way. It took them only twenty minutes to arrive at King’s Cross. Everyone got out and unloaded their trunks and other items. Just as the last of the trunks was removed, the boot was closed and the cars pulled into traffic; they were out of sight before the group made it into the station.


The teens arrived on platform nine and three-quarters and were greeted by Remus, Tonks, Bill, Fleur, and Charlie. Harry hadn’t seen Charlie in some time so he was surprised that he was there.


Hugs and handshakes were exchanged as quickly as possible before Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione, along with the five adults, were herded onto the train. Mrs. Weasley was out of breath with the effort, but was still able to crush each of the young people in turn with a bone-crunching hug. She had a small tear in her eye when she hugged Harry.


“Take care of yourself and don’t get into too much trouble,” she sniffled.


“I’ll do my best,” Harry smiled back at her.


The train pulled out of the station. Harry watched as Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all made for the Prefects’ car. He saw Ginny smile broadly at a group of Gryffindors from her year as she passed them. She seems happy enough. That’s good. He looked back at his trunk and Hedwig’s cage and frowned. Well, alone on the train again, he thought.


He grabbed his trunk, and Charlie took Hedwig’s cage. “I’ll get this, Harry. Remus and the others have to go up to the front of the train for the meeting. They are security for the train and will be helping with security for Hogwarts this year. I have to go as well, but I didn’t want to leave you here with all this by yourself.”


“Thanks, Charlie,” Harry said with little enthusiasm. “So what are you doing here? I didn’t think you would ever leave your dragons.”


“It seems Professor”no, make that Headmistress”McGonagall wanted someone to help with the groundskeeper duties,” Charlie declared with a wink. “I was looking for a reason to come back to help with the war, so I jumped at the chance.”


Harry knew that it was the war that brought Charlie home and nothing more. Hagrid didn’t need any help tending the animals of Hogwarts. “So you are going to be Hagrid’s assistant then?”


“Yep, you can call me Assistant Professor Weasley. Anyway Professor Grubbly-Plank is getting up there in years, so if Hagrid needs any time off I will be subbing for him.”


They continued to walk down the train and talk. Finally, towards the back, they saw Neville sitting in a compartment by himself.


“Hey, Neville, mind if I join you?” Harry said, already knowing the answer.


“Sure, hey, where’s Luna? I haven’t seen her yet this morning,” Neville inquired.


“Don’t know, maybe she’s with the rest of the Ravenclaws,” Harry replied, giving Neville a knowing look.


“What? It’s not like that,” Neville declared, blushing. “I just haven’t seen her yet today, and she usually rides with us.


“I have to get to the meeting, Harry, I’ll see you later.” Charlie exited the compartment.


“See you, Charlie,” Harry shouted at the closing door. “So, Neville, up for a game of Exploding Snap?” Harry smiled. He was feeling a bit better knowing that they were on the Hogwarts Express heading back to school.
++++++


Two hours later, Harry and Neville still had not seen Luna, Ron, Ginny or Hermione. They were beginning to get concerned when finally Ron exploded into the compartment.


“What a stupid, longwinded, pompous, know-it-all git,” Ron boomed, slamming himself into the seat beside Harry. “Oh, hi, Neville,” Ron said, noticing Neville for the first time.


“Afternoon, Ron,” Neville replied tentatively.


Hermione stepped into the compartment, followed by Luna, who had a shiny blue P on her shirt.


“Luna, you made Prefect!” Neville exclaimed, standing up and shaking her hand. “Congratulations.”


“Thanks, Neville, the girl who was supposed to be Prefect didn’t come back this year, so I was the second choice,” Luna explained.


Neville didn’t know how to respond to this, so after looking awkward for a few seconds, he simply sat down. Luna took up her normal spot by the window and began reading the latest edition of the Quibbler.

“Hi, Hermione, you got Head Girl, that’s really good. I knew it would be you,” Neville smiled.


Hermione blushed slightly. “Thanks, Neville. I was really excited about getting it. I think it is going to be a real challenge.”


“Yeah, with that prat as Head Boy,” Ron interjected. “I can’t believe he kept us there for two hours. The lunch cart is gone and I’m starving.”


“Ron, it wasn’t that bad.” Hermione attempted to placate him. “Yes, he was a bit long“winded, but things are going to be more dangerous this year and we have to set a good example and be prepared.”


“I know all that, but that’s not what he was talking about. He was going on and on about how great an honor it is to be a Prefect and Head Boy. It was like he had been elected Minister of Magic and this was his acceptance speech.”


“Well, he was a bit full of himself, but a lot of what he said was important,” Hermione argued.


“Yeah, and you could have said it in half the time if not less. He didn’t even let you talk.” Ron glared out the door of the compartment, as if daring someone to walk in.


“So who are we talking about then?” Harry finally asked. “Who is the new Head Boy?”


“Ernie Macmillan,” Hermione stated.


“Oh, Ernie’s all right. He is a bit pompous, but he isn’t that bad, Ron,” Harry responded.


“Harry, you weren’t there!” Ron exclaimed.


“Well be that as it may, Ron, he is Head Boy and you will have to follow his lead,” Hermione declared.


“I don’t have to like it though.”


“Hey, where's Ginny?” Harry asked in a would“be nonchalant voice.


“She’s with Ernie,” Luna said, not taking her eyes off her magazine. “Did you know that people are writing about you, Harry? Muggles are using computers to write stories about your life. My dad told me about it, and the article is in this issue.” Luna reached out to hand Harry the magazine.


Harry didn’t move to accept it”he hadn’t even heard the second statement Luna made. What is she doing with that git Macmillan? he thought. “Oh really, I wonder what they are up to,” he said, trying to sound casual.


“They are on patrol. Ernie set up the schedule. Ron and I have to go in about an hour,” Hermione informed Harry.


Luna realized that Harry was not going to be reading the article and shrugged. She leaned back and began reading again.


The rest of the train ride was quiet. Harry sat quietly in the corner, watching his friends. He had a vague feeling that something was missing. Ginny returned and began chatting merrily with the compartment’s occupants. Harry was in no mood to talk at that moment, so he closed his eyes and began practicing his Occlumency meditations. He vaguely heard Hermione and Ron come back from patrol. Finally he simply fell asleep.
++++++


The skyline was growing dark and Harry had just heard Hermione whisper something about waking him when his scar exploded in pain. He immediately put his walls up and reached for his head. He fell forward onto the floor of the compartment and retched.


“Harry,” someone screamed, although he could not tell who. He felt a soft hand on his shoulder and began to relax. The walls in his mind were holding, and the pain slowly subsided. Ron stepped over to him and grasped him under the arm to help him up as Hermione and Luna both quickly cleaned up the pool of sick from the compartment floor.


“Harry, are you all right?” Ron asked, his voice full of concern.


“Yeah, we need to get to the front of the train, something is going to happen in Hogsmeade,” he declared, shaking his head to clear the remaining cobwebs. “We need to tell Remus and the others.”


“They’re not on the train anymore, Harry,” Ginny said quietly. “They Apparated off a couple of hours ago”something about trouble at the Ministry.”


“Then we need to get Macmillan and get everybody ready. When we reach Hogsmeade, they are going to be waiting for us,” Harry remarked, getting to his feet.


Hermione looked like she was about to ask how he knew, but the look he fired at her was enough to quash her question. “I’ll go get Ernie,” she said and ran out of the compartment.


Several minutes later, she returned with Ernie Macmillan in tow. “Hello, Harry. How are you this evening?” Ernie asked, a shining HB on the chest of his school robes.


“Ernie, we have to figure out a way to get off the train before we get to Hogsmeade,” Harry stated, standing toe to toe with the Hufflepuff. “Death Eaters and Dementors are going to attack the students at the station.”


“Don’t be ridiculous, Harry,” Ernie replied. “There are Aurors there, along with Hagrid, and probably more security than we have seen in years. I don’t think even You-Know-Who would try and attack there.” Ernie started to turn as if to leave. Ron grabbed him and turned him around.


“Look, if Harry says something is up then we had better deal with it,” Ron said angrily.


“Ten points from Gryffindor,” Ernie declared. “Ron, please don’t grab me like that again. As for Harry’s intuition, I’m afraid that we just don’t have enough information to warrant something like stopping the train before we get to the station. Do you know what sort of trouble we would be in? Hermione and I would both lose our positions.” Ernie puffed out his chest as if to say that should cover the subject. He once again turned to go. His eyes met Hermione’s.


“Ernie, I think we should listen to Harry on this one. This would be a perfect way for Voldemort to show he is in control and that Hogwarts isn’t safe.” Hermione’s voice was calm but showed her determination.


Ernie blanched at the use of Voldemort’s name, but quickly pulled himself together. “I don’t think this is a good idea.”


Harry was just about to lose his battle with his anger. “Fine, Macmillan, you can explain to the parents of all these kids why their children are dead.” This seemed to sway Ernie a bit.


“All right, Harry; you had better be right. What do we do?” he asked.


“I hope I’m dead wrong, but I know that I’m not. Not this time,” Harry replied. “Luna, you and Ginny find all the DA members you can. We are going to need all the help we can get. How long before we reach Hogsmeade?”


“About an hour, I’d say,” Hermione answered.


“How do you always know that?” Ron asked, shaking his head.


“Okay, we need to stop the train in forty minutes. That will put us on the south end of Hogsmeade, a few miles from town. We need to get a message to McGonagall and let her know what’s happening. She needs to have the carriages or something there to get the students to Hogwarts as quickly as possible.”


“I can do that,” Hermione declared. “Tonks showed me how to use a Patronus to send messages.”


“Good, we can’t stop the train for too long or the Death Eaters may figure out that we know something is happening. Once the train stops, Hermione, you, Ginny, and Luna go with the younger students and make sure they get to Hogwarts safely.” Ginny and Hermione both glared at Harry and began to protest. Harry cut them off with a wave of his hand. “I am not trying to protect you. I need people I can trust to take care of the younger kids. The rest of the DA will ride the train into town and give you some cover. Once we know you all are safe, we can get back to Hogwarts.”


“Harry, why do any of us need to go into Hogsmeade?” Neville asked.


“Because,” Ron explained, “if the train shows up empty then the Death Eaters will simply Apparate to the road leading to Hogwarts and cut us off. We need some people at the station to keep them occupied.” Harry nodded in agreement with Ron.


“Ernie, you and Hermione, after she sends the message, go and round up all the younger students and anyone who doesn’t feel like they can fight. If they can’t form a Patronus, they need to go. That will eliminate most everyone except DA members. Tell them to leave their things on the train and get to Hogwarts as quickly as possible.”


“Everyone ready?” Harry asked. There were some nods of agreement. “Good, go.”


Hermione, Ginny, Ernie and Luna all left the compartment. Ron, Harry and Neville sat nervously waiting for the battle that was ahead of them.


Forty minutes later the train slowed to a stop. The younger students, and all those who didn’t wish to fight, left the train, along with Hermione, Ginny and Luna. Hermione gave Ron a quick kiss before she headed off to start moving the children up the road towards Hogwarts. The carriages weren’t there.


“Maybe they didn’t get the message,” Ron wondered.


“Doesn’t matter now, we need to get the train moving. If the carriages aren’t here then the Death Eaters will have more time to cut them off,” Harry declared. He waved at Ernie to tell the conductor to get the train going.


The train pulled out and Harry saw Ginny waving at them as it pulled away. He was struck by the memory of a small girl chasing after the train as it left King’s Cross so long ago. “The more things change”” Harry said under his breath.
+++++


The train, with about thirty DA members who were ready to fight, pulled into Hogsmeade station and stopped. “Remember, we are not here to win some battle; we are here to distract the Death Eaters from the others. Get off the train and find cover. Fire your Patronus as soon as you can because Dementors will probably be the first wave. They usually are,” Ron explained to the group of frightened teens.


The train stopped and the small group charged off, into the station. Harry could feel the unnatural cold of the Dementors all around him. The screams of his mother began to reverberate inside his head. He hesitated in bringing up his mental walls, however, waiting until he knew they were close.

He darted behind a bench and watched as other DA members took whatever cover they could find. Finally, after about two minutes, the screaming became so loud that Harry had no choice but to raise his walls. “They’re coming!” he shouted.


They came from both the left and the right”Dementors searching for all the students they could find. They were met, however, not by terrified first years but by several Patronuses, Harry’s stag leading the charge on the left and Ron’s little terrier on the right. Harry watched as a silvery frog, an eagle, and a dozen more animal shapes went hurtling down the tracks at the oncoming Dementors. Some of the Patronuses were stronger than others, but most were effective in stopping at least one or two Dementors.


Harry quickly glanced to the right and saw Ron’s dog grouped with other Patronuses, charging down several more Dementors. His attention was drawn back to the platform, however, by a series of popping sounds. The Death Eaters had arrived.


“Petrificus Totalus!” yelled a Death Eater, pointing his wand at Harry. Harry easily blocked the spell as Ron yelled, “Stupefy!” The Stunner hit the Death Eater in the arm, and he collapsed.


“Serpensortia!” yelled another Death Eater. Black smoke shot from the end of his wand, becoming a snake which landed on top of a barrel a couple of meters from Harry’s position, behind which Dennis Creevey was hiding. Dennis stumbled out from the protection of the barrel and was hit by a stream of grey light. He crumbled to the ground and didn’t move.


“Go get the man in the black robesss and hood!” Harry bellowed in Parseltongue. The snake immediately turned away from the prone Dennis and started to slither at the Death Eater who had conjured it. The Death Eater was struck before he knew that the snake was close.


“Nice trick,” Ron commented before firing a Stinging Hex at a hooded figure beside the train engine.


“Thanks,” Harry replied.


Spell battles were taking place all along the station platform. Harry could see that some of the Death Eaters were lying unconscious, but some of the DA were also not moving.


“Reducto!” someone shouted, and the bench that had been Harry and Ron’s cover exploded. They were both thrown backwards as bits of wood and concrete pelted them.


“Ha!” came a shout from a hooded figure about ten feet in front of them. “The great Harry Potter, look at you now. Crucio.


“Protego!” Harry shouted, blocking the spell. “Diffindo!”


Harry’s spell hit the Death Eater in the arm. He gasped in pain as a slice opened from his shoulder down to his elbow. He fell backwards and his mask slipped down from his face.


“Malfoy!” Harry spat. “I knew I was missing something on this trip. I didn’t get to see your ferret face once. Well at least we have done that now.”


“You can’t win, Potter. You have no idea how powerful the Dark Lord truly is,” Malfoy proclaimed. “Flagrantia.”


Fire came out of the end of Malfoy’s wand. Harry dove to the side as the flame hit the wall behind him, igniting it.


Harry fired a Stinging Hex, but Malfoy was able to block it.


“Is that all you have, Potter?” Malfoy sneered. He leveled his wand again but never fired the spell. From the side, Ron, who had just dispatched a Death Eater of his own, swung his right fist, letting out a mighty roar. His fist connected with Malfoy’s jaw. Malfoy’s head jerked to the side as his jaw snapped, and he tumbled off the platform.


“That was for calling Hermione names for all those years, you stupid ferret-faced, piece of””


“Ron, look out!” Harry yelled before firing a Stunner at a Death Eater who was taking aim at his friend. The spell found its mark and the Death Eater fell back unconscious.


“Thanks, guess I got a little carried away,” Ron said, coming over to Harry quickly. There was a lull in the fighting in their area of the station platform. Harry looked around and saw that Aurors and some Order Members had joined the fight. He also noticed that Dennis Creevey still had not moved.


Remus came running up to Harry and Ron. “You two all right?” he shouted over the screams of spells being cast.


“Just cuts and bruises,” Harry replied.


“My hand really hurts,” Ron grinned as he shook his hand.


With the arrival of reinforcements, the Death Eaters found themselves outnumbered and decided it was time to go. The popping started as they began to flee. Harry glanced around the platform and focused on a Death Eater that was fighting with Ernie Macmillan. Harry fired a Stunner as the new Head Boy was launched head over heels off the platform. The Stunner hit the Death Eater in the side of the head and he fell.


Harry and Ron raced over to check on Ernie, who was picking himself up off the ground, gingerly rubbing the back of his head. “You all right?” Ron asked with little feeling.


“Yes, thank you,” Ernie replied.


Harry gazed around and saw that the fighting was over. Neville was limping towards them, looking like he had been through a good fight, but upright and alive. Harry changed his mental focus from Ron and Neville to Ginny, Hermione and Luna.


He could feel a sense of apprehension in Ginny and Hermione, but he could not sense Luna at all. Harry’s heart sank. “We need to go, Luna’s hurt,” he declared.


Without another word, Harry, Ron and Neville Apparated to the Hogwarts gates.
+++++++


Several hours later, Harry and Neville sat in the hospital wing. Ron, Ginny and Hermione had to make sure the students got settled into their common rooms properly. Harry wasn’t even sure if they’d had the Sorting Ceremony and he thought the feast was probably cancelled as well. He vaguely wondered how they would know where to put the first years without doing the ceremony.


The battle had taken its toll. Hannah Abbott was taken to St. Mungo’s with severe burns on her chest and arms. Seamus Finnegan had a broken arm and three broken ribs. Padma Patil was in the hospital wing with several cuts to her upper legs and Terry Boot had been hit with the Cruciatus Curse. Neville had seen him get hit and was able to Stun the Death Eater”Alecto, who was one of the Death Eaters on the Astronomy Tower the night Dumbledore was killed”before she could do much damage with it. Hermione had a cut on her forehead, and Ginny had a sprained ankle and a world of bruises to contend with.


The worst news was that Dennis Creevey was dead. Harry didn’t know what spell had been used but it was enough to cause death although it wasn’t the Killing Curse.


Hermione walked into the hospital wing. She had a light pink scar across her forehead where Madam Pomfrey had healed a cut earlier. The nurse had assured her that the scar would be gone by the next morning. She looked as if she still had a headache. “How is she?” She pointed at Luna who was lying in the hospital bed.


“Madam Pomfrey said she will be all right. She has a concussion, but she doesn’t have any permanent damage,” Harry replied. “What about things downstairs?”


“The first years are all sorted and taken care of. Colin is in McGonagall’s office. His parents will be here tomorrow to pick up Dennis’s body and take them home.” Hermione had a tear running down her cheek. “Dennis was the only one from the school who was killed. I guess that is something.”


“Yeah, something,” Harry bit out, anger and sadness building over losing a schoolmate. “What happened to you all?” Harry asked.


“Well, Hagrid arrived with the carriages about five minutes after the train left. We just made it to within sight of the gate when about five Death Eaters Apparated behind us. Ginny, Luna, Hagrid and I jumped off the carriages to try and buy time for the others to make it into the gate. Hagrid did most of the actual fighting. I got caught by a Slashing Hex, but the distance was too great for it to really do any damage. A Blasting Charm hit directly in front of Ginny and Luna and sent them flying. That’s how Ginny got hurt, and Luna hit her head on a root or stone when she landed,” Hermione said. It was obvious to Harry that the events of the day had exhausted her.


“Okay, everyone out, it’s time for all those who are not injured to leave,” Madam Pomfrey announced as Ron entered the room. They all got up to leave.


“Are the boys all right in their dorms?” Hermione asked Ron.


“Yeah, they were pretty scared, but they calmed down after a while,” Ron said, flexing his right hand. He didn’t ask Madam Pomfrey to check it, since he knew that there were others who needed her help more.


“How’s your hand?” Hermione asked with a small smile. Harry had told her earlier how Ron hurt his hand and what he had said to Malfoy.


“It’s all right,” he commented. “I just wish the little ferret wouldn’t have escaped. I should have punched him harder.” He put his arm around her shoulders and gave a squeeze.


“So, where is Ginny this time?” Neville asked. Harry looked at him with a slight grin.


Ron rolled his eyes and Hermione sighed. “She is on patrol with Ernie again,” Hermione said.


“Stupid git should let her rest. She got beat up worse than Parkinson did. Why didn’t he ask her to patrol?” Ron said indignantly.


Great, she is patrolling with Macmillan again, Harry thought. Welcome home.


The group made their way to Gryffindor Tower and settled into bed. Classes were to start the next day.
+++++++


A/N So we have made it back to school. I hope you enjoyed the train ride and the return of young Mr. Malfoy. Let me know what you thought, good or bad, it’s always helpful to receive your feed back.


Once again I must think my Pre Betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Both of whom have been wonderfully help with story ideas. Major thanks as well to JenC who makes the story all nice and pretty for you all.

Coming next, dreams; very bad dreams.
Dream A Little Dream by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter world. It is all owned by JKR.
++++++++



The day after the battle in Hogsmeade, Harry spent the morning in McGonagall’s office, being interviewed by various Ministry officials. The head of the Aurors wanted to know details about the attack. The head of the Department of Mysteries wanted to know how Harry had known the attack was coming. The Minister of Magic’s office wanted to know if Harry was tipped off by Percy Weasley or if he was in league with Voldemort.


Around one in the afternoon, Colin and his mother came in to let Professor McGonagall know they were leaving. Harry shifted nervously in his chair, feeling responsible for the death of Mrs. Creevey’s son. Colin thanked Harry for trying to help Dennis, and Mrs. Creevey gave him a short hug. Neither looked him in the eyes, however, and this made Harry’s heart sink further. After the Creeveys left, Harry felt utterly exhausted; he chose not to go to his afternoon class and went upstairs to sleep instead.


At dinner, the Great Hall was draped with black banners instead of the usual house colors: the school was in mourning for Dennis Creevey. Harry walked in and looked around. He quickly spotted his friends at the Gryffindor table, Ron and Hermione on one side, with Ginny across from them.


“Harry, how are you?” Hermione asked. “We were so worried about you. Professor McGonagall wouldn’t tell us what the Ministry officials wanted with you all day. She told us that you were resting after the interviews were completed, but she didn’t say anything else. You missed classes; I got your homework assignments.”


“Hermione, let him breath,” Ron said, rising. “Harry, have seat and get something to eat before dinner is over.”


Harry gratefully sat on Ron’s other side.


“Harry, are you sure you are okay?” Ginny asked tentatively. “You’ve never had a good relationship with the Ministry, and after the story in the Daily Prophet and all, we thought you might be in trouble or something.” She looked pale, as if she had been worrying about him all day.


“Yeah, Ginny, I am fine. Thanks,” Harry replied. “So, Hermione, how was your first day teaching?” Harry asked, looking for a change in subject.


“Oh, it was great. I mean, I was really nervous about doing it, but once I got the roll called and the students got settled, it went really well. Of course, there were a few students who thought they could take advantage of me since I’m still a student and all. They’ll be spending some quality time with Filch, I’m afraid.”


“Wow, Professor Granger is a tough old bird, isn’t she?” Ron declared with a grin.


“And don’t you forget it, Mr. Weasley, or you may find yourself spending some quality time with Mr. Filch as well,” Hermione responded.


“Oh, good grief, would you two stop flirting already. I am getting sick to my stomach,” Ginny complained.


Hermione gave Ron a quick kiss on the cheek. “I’ve got some work to do in the library. Harry, when you want your assignments, let me know. Professor Slughorn gave us a foot and a half on the Draught of Living Death, due Friday,” she said as she left the table.


“So how was the first day?” Harry asked Ron.


“Not bad. We didn’t get much homework, and we found out who our new Defense teacher is,” Ron explained.


“Oh, who is it, someone we know?” Ginny asked. “I don’t have Defense Against the Dark Arts until Wednesday, so I haven’t met the new professor yet.”


“No, I’ve never heard of him before. Name’s Scurlock, Panther Scurlock. What a stupid name.” Ron nodded at the staff table.


Harry noticed for the first time that there was a middle-aged black man sitting in the normal Defense Against the Dark Arts chair. He looked well-built, with slightly graying hair.


“He doesn’t seem like a great duelist. In fact, he was a bit clumsy in class today. He tripped over his desk twice and knocked Neville’s wand out of his hand demonstrating a shield technique.”


“Hey, it’s good to disarm someone when you are shielding yourself. That is pretty impressive actually,” Harry argued.


“He was demonstrating the shield to Dean. He just swatted the wand out of Neville’s hand. Neville was standing behind him.”


“Oh,” Harry said, looking worriedly at the new teacher. He was certain that the school needed the best people teaching Defense this year because Voldemort would want to strike here again. “Looks like we may have to start the DA again.”


“Yeah, that may be a good idea,” Ginny agreed, stifling a laugh as Professor Scurlock dropped his fork on the floor and then hit his head on the table while trying to retrieve it. “Yeah, that may be exactly what you need to do.”
++++++


The weeks that followed witnessed the school slowly returning to some semblance of normalcy after the attack and the death of Dennis Creevey. The story of the attack in Hogsmeade had not been in the papers; Harry thought that the Ministry was trying to keep it quiet to prevent an uproar from occurring. The Ministry had had no success in tracking down the Death Eaters responsible for the attack. The few prisoners they did have in custody were not talking, and there was precious little information to be had.


Harry and Ron entered the Great Hall one evening in late September. As they walked to their table, there were many eyes following them. Harry was used to this, but for Ron it was still a new experience. The story of the attack had quickly made its way around the Hogwarts community. All the DA members were considered heroes for their efforts during the attack. Ron, Neville, Harry and Ernie Macmillan, however, had been raised to near-celebrity status.


“Harry, how do you deal with this every day?” Ron asked, looking around the Great Hall. “They all just keep staring at me like I am on parade or something.”


“Just be glad you have a girlfriend,” Harry responded with a grin. “Poor Neville has had a gaggle of fourth-year girls following him around for the past three days. Every time he turns a corner, Romilda Vane and her friends are there giggling at him.”


“Yeah,” Hermione said, coming up behind them. “I saw Neville in the greenhouses earlier today. He said he won’t come out until after dinner, when they’ve gone back to the common room. Poor guy, I think they planned on searching for him after dinner, and the greenhouse will be the first place they look.”


The trio sat down and enjoyed dinner. Luna wandered over a few minutes after pudding, with her normal dreamy expression. “Harry, are we training tomorrow?” she asked.


Since school had started, Harry was still training daily, spending an hour a day in the Room of Requirement dueling with a partner. The duels had become more intense, with Harry and his partner taking on three, and sometimes four, members of the Order at one time. Still, Harry and his partner were able to win more duels than they lost.


“Yeah, Luna, we are scheduled for tomorrow at seven. Remus told me last time that we we’ll be facing him, Bill and Tonks, so be ready for a challenge,” Harry said. He smiled, thinking about the last time he and Luna had partnered in a duel. She’d conjured a flock of pink flamingos to chase Kingsley Shacklebolt around the room, distracting him so that Harry could easily disarm him.


“I’ll be ready. I hope Tonks likes canaries,” Luna replied with a grin of her own and walked out of the Great Hall.


Harry and his friends studied late into the night. N.E.W.T.s were going to be twice as bad as O.W.L.s had been. It was past one in the morning when Harry, exhausted from studying and training, thankfully fell into his bed.
++++++


Harry stood in the middle of the Quidditch pitch. Ron, Ginny, and Hermione were standing in a semi-circle around him. Luna was about ten yards to the right and Neville about fifteen yards to his left.


Sweat ran down his face, as if he’d just finished running a great distance. He was bleeding from a cut over his left eye.


“You can’t win, Harry,” a familiar voice cackled in front of the group. “Lord Voldemort will always be victorious!”


Harry just stood there, rooted to the spot. He wanted to yell back, raise his wand, do something”but his body would not respond. He could only stand and watch Voldemort taunt him.


“Do you know why, Harry, why you can’t win?” Voldemort jeered. “Because you are weak. You care too much for those friends of yours. Even the ones that you don’t care for, you still grieve for.”


Dennis Creevey’s body was lying on the ground directly in front of Harry. He didn’t want to look, but again, his body would not answer his commands, and his vision was filled with the image of Dennis’s body, broken and bleeding, his legs and arms lying spread-eagled on the ground, a blank look in his open, unseeing eyes.


“His blood is on your hands, Harry,” Voldemort sneered.


Harry looked down at his hands. They began to drip with blood that seemed to come from nowhere. Harry tried to wipe them off on his robes. This time his hands would move, but as he wiped off some blood, more would take its place.


“It is no easy thing to kill a person, to be responsible for their death. Harry, how do you cope?” Voldemort asked in mock concern. He then broke out into a maniacal laugh. “You would think, Harry, that after all those people you have killed, you would learn about allowing people to be close to you. Take this sweet young lady.” Voldemort pointed his wand at Luna. A stream of green light fired out from the end. Luna was lifted into the air and the wind rushed across Harry’s face. She fell to the ground, lying exactly the way Dennis was lying.


“You see, Harry, you manage to kill everyone you care about: your pathetic parents, the foul dog you called a godfather, and that fool Dumbledore. Miss Lovegood will be no different. Nor will that Mudblood Granger.” Again, the green light came from his wand and Hermione was struck down.


Harry looked at the Quidditch pitch again. He could now see the dead bodies of Sirius, his parents, and Dumbledore on the ground. The blood on his hands had increased; he continued to try and wipe his hands clean, but they continued to be drenched.


“Longbottom will not survive either, I am afraid. I do believe that Bellatrix will have some fun with him beforehand, but the end will be the same.” Green light and Neville was dead. “The blood traitors will also die. The boy will most assuredly die quickly, probably in some foolhardy attempt to save someone else. You people are so predictable.”


Ron jumped in front of Harry just as the green light erupted from Voldemort’s wand. Ron collapsed. The blood on Harry’s hands amazingly grew in volume.


“Ah, and the little Weasley lady, she will die”although I am sure we can come up with something amusing to do with her before the end.” Voldemort again laughed and fired a final green stream of light. Ginny fell at Harry’s feet.


“All alone, Harry, no one to die for you now, is there? It is just you, with all these people’s blood on your hands.” The blood on Harry’s hands seemed again to grow in volume; Harry thought they must be encased with blood.


“Just all their blood on your hands and then, Harry, then you get to die, with their deaths as your final memory!” Voldemort sneered.


“Avada Kedavra!”



“NO!” Harry screamed.


“Harry, wake up, wake up!” Ron yelled.


Harry was lying in the fetal position, wrapped in his bed sheets, shaking violently. There was a trickle of blood oozing down his cheek from his scar and he was moaning slightly. His eyes were open, but he didn’t respond to Ron, nor seemed aware of the commotion he had caused in his room.


“Neville, go get McGonagall!” Ron spat. “Harry, what happened?”


Harry didn’t respond. “They’re all dead. They’re all dead,” he murmured as he continued to shake. His mind would not release the images of his friends dying. Over and over, in his mind’s eye, he watched as they perished at Voldemort’s hand.


“What is the meaning of this?” McGonagall exclaimed, entering the bedroom wearing a tartan dressing gown. “Mr. Weasley, why are you standing over Mr. Potter’s bed?” The moaning increased and McGonagall noticed Harry in the bed. Something was terribly wrong.


“He needs to go to the hospital wing,” she declared. She withdrew her wand and levitated Harry out of the room. Harry didn’t acknowledge the movement. Slowly he was lowered down the staircase into the common room.


Hermione and Ginny stood at the base of the stairs to the girls’ dorm. They both looked pale and frightened. Other students had noticed all the commotion and were beginning to exit their dorms.


“Go back to your beds this instant!” McGonagall cried.


As Harry’s levitated body reached the bottom of the stairs, his mind brushed across a presence in the room. It was soothing and he felt himself calming down. He latched onto the presence like a drowning man on a life preserver.


Slowly but surely his mind began to return to him. He recognized he was being levitated. He was moving slowly through the common room. Hermione was there; she looked pale and scared. Ron was by her side with his arm around her. Ginny was there too. Who was levitating him?


His full consciousness finally returned to him. He raised the walls in his mind and focused on Ginny. Peace flooded his mind and he relaxed.


“I’m all right,” he croaked. “I’m fine”really.”


McGonagall stopped his progress as she watched his body slowly unfurl from the fetal position. She moved him away from the portrait hole, gently placed him on a couch, and released the spell.


“Harry, what happened up there?” McGonagall asked gently.


Harry was startled by her use of his first name. “I don’t know,” he answered breathlessly. His mind was back, but his body was struggling to regain control. His breathing was ragged. The blood still oozed from his scar.


Ginny placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. He once again was flooded with a feeling of peace and inner strength. His breathing slowed and he regained more control over his body.


“I didn’t focus my mind tonight, and I think Voldemort got in,” he stated.


All the eyes in the room went wide. Fear again began to build in Hermione’s eyes, and Ron become as pale as one of the house ghosts.


“No one is hurt,” Harry quickly exclaimed. “I was the point of this attack. He showed me a bunch of images”my friends dying, Sirius, my parents, Dumbledore, Dennis”and told me it was all my fault. He said their blood was on my hands.” He shook his head to rid himself of the images once again filling his mind.


“That’s rubbish!” Ron exploded. “That sick bastard can’t say that. He’s the one killing people, not you. You are trying to save people.”


“Yeah,” Harry said, dejectedly. “I know. Look guys, I really am okay; I just need to go back to bed. We do have classes tomorrow.”


“No, Mr. Potter. I want you to go to the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey can check you out and we will see about classes in the morning. The rest of you off to bed.” The others began to protest. “I will see Mr. Potter to the hospital wing,” McGonagall cut in with a wave of her hand and a stern look that said the argument was over.


Harry stood up weakly, somewhat thankful for the trip to the hospital wing. He was glad to not have to talk about this anymore tonight. Hermione gave him a hug and Ron patted him on the back, giving his shoulder a quick squeeze. Neville simply waved, offering a weak smile. Ginny stood beside him awkwardly. “I’ll see you in the morning,” she said finally, before patting him on the back as Ron had done.


He and McGonagall left for the hospital wing.
++++++

Several hours later, Harry was still sitting on the bed in the hospital wing. His nerves had finally completely calmed since the vision or dream that he had. His mind, however, was racing. How do I protect them when Dumbledore said they have to be with me in this? he wondered.


Finally, as dawn broke over the lake, and ribbons of sunlight made their way through the window, he made his decision. Feeling more at ease, and exhausted, he rolled over and fell asleep.
++++++


A/N: So there you have it; Harry’s very bad dream. I certainly hoped you liked it. Let me know what you think, good or bad, it’s always fun to hear your views of this story.


I must say that the reference to Pink Flamingos chasing Kingsley around is a nod to an author named Hermione’s Revenge. She has some great humor fics up so if you are looking for a lighter read check her out.


Yet again I owe a big thanks to my pre betas Kerrbear and cableguysmom, also more thanks to my incredible beta JenC for all that she has endured while working on this chapter. Thanks ladies, I couldn’t do this with out you.

Up next, a little angst, a little Quidditch, and a little cat.
Life or Something Like It by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter universe.
+++++

“Aren’t you taking this seriously boy?” Abe fumed


“Of course I am”why do you think I am here every bloody day?” Harry shot back. “I made a mistake by not practicing that night and now I am paying for it.” Harry looked at the man in front of him, amazed at the change he saw. There were times when Aberforth Dumbledore could look like Albus Dumbledore’s twin. Abe often had the same twinkle in his eye that Professor Dumbledore had had, and he even talked in riddles some of the time. There were other times, however, that Abe looked and acted nothing like the late headmaster. This was one of those times.


It was their first lesson since Harry’s dream two days earlier. Abe’s anger seemed to be barely controlled: his face was red and his eyes blazed in fury. Harry thought he could see the hard edge on the man”the edge that showed he had spent his life working with much less savory members of society than his elder brother had.


“Too many men and women have sacrificed too much for you to throw it away because you aren’t doing what you need to do,” Abe continued with less anger after taking a deep calming breath.


“I know that; I made a mistake. I let my guard down. It won’t happen again.”


“Good, see that it doesn’t or we may have larger problems than you can even understand,” Abe declared. He paused, then continued, “Moody would be so disappointed in you, son.” The twinkle had returned to Abe’s eyes, and Harry knew that the lecture was over for the evening.


“Yeah, I suppose I wasn’t as vigilant as I should have been.” Harry smiled a humorless smile. He knew that Abe had made his point and would not be yelling at him anymore. That just left Harry to make himself feel guilty for his weakness.


“All right, Harry, I think we have dealt with that sufficiently. We need to get to work.”


They worked for an hour. Harry was now able to block Abe completely from his mind. He was also able to connect with Ginny, Ron, and Hermione no matter where in the castle they were. Neville and Luna had to be closer to the Room of Requirement for him to feel their emotions. He was not able to tell where any of his friends were when he was connected, but Abe had told him that eventually he probably would.


Finally they finished working, and Abe stepped into a corner of the room. He lifted a box marked “Cauldrons” off the floor.


“Harry, this is a box of things Mundungus Fletcher”erm”borrowed from the Blacks’ house,” Abe stated, holding the box out for Harry.


“You mean the things he nicked from the house while I was at school last year, don’t you?” Harry replied, glaring at Abe. “I was wondering when I would be getting that stuff back.” He took the box from the old barman.


“Don’t take that tone with me, young man. I paid good money for those things, so that Mundungus wouldn’t try and sell it to some other bloke. Albus seemed to think there may be something important in that junk.” Abe glared back at Harry.


Harry’s anger lessened slightly. “Sorry, Abe, I’m just really tired. Thanks for taking care of this stuff for me.”


“Not at all, Harry, good work this evening. Now go upstairs, and get some rest. I will see you in a couple of days.”


“Thank you, Abe, but aren’t you going to tell me not to forget to practice tonight?” Harry questioned.


“No, no, I think you have learned your lesson, and it was a mistake that you won’t be making again. Good evening,” Abe remarked as he walked out of the room.


Harry walked back into the common room and found it almost deserted. He went up to his dorm and placed the box of Black family trinkets in his trunk, then grabbed his pack and went back down into the common room. He still had a mountain of homework to do. He worked late into the night as the fire in Gryffindor Tower burned low. It was after two in the morning before he finally went to bed.
+++++++

September slowly gave way to October. The leaves on the trees of the Forbidden Forest were a brilliant display of color. Reds, oranges, greens, golds and yellows combined to form a fire burst of colors that dazzled the eyes. The overcast autumn sky enhanced the effect. The changing of the seasons, along with the welcome news that attacks had lessened of late, combined to bring an almost festive mood to the castle.


This mood was heightened by the announcement that Quidditch tryouts would be held the first Saturday of the month. The school soon began to buzz with excitement. Even with a war on, there seemed to be nothing of greater importance than who would be the second Beater for Ravenclaw or what the Gryffindor Chasers would be like without Katie Bell.


Harry woke Saturday morning later than the rest of his roommates. He had been up late the night before. Actually, he had been up late every night for a month. He refused to allow himself to go to bed until he was nearly dropping from fatigue, and forced himself to get up as soon as he woke, not letting himself go back to sleep. He had argued with himself that if he was exceptionally tired he wouldn’t dream. It had seemed to work well enough during his fifth year. He still practiced his Occlumency, but he refused to go to bed earlier than one or two in the morning. This new policy had its good points: he was currently completely up to date on his homework, except for a Transfiguration essay he had due Monday. The down side was that he always felt exhausted.


This morning his body refused to wake up before ten and by then everyone was already gone from the room. Harry knew why. I suppose Ron has them flying in circles getting warmed up,he thought.


Ron had continued to argue that Harry should be Captain and should play, but Harry would not be moved. He had too many other things to do. Ron had even gone so far as to talk to McGonagall about it. She also wanted Harry to play.


“But Professor, with N.E.W.T.s, training, and some other things that I can’t talk to you about, I just don’t have time to do it this year. Ron’ll be great”don’t worry, we won’t lose the cup.”


“I am not concerned about some silly trophy, Mr. Potter. One of the last things Albus said in the portion of the will that I saw was that you were to live your life,” McGonagall proclaimed, her eyes growing bright with unshed tears.


“I understand that, Professor, but Quidditch simply isn’t part of my life at the moment,” Harry argued back.


After several minutes of discussion, McGonagall finally relented and ordered Ron to take over as Captain.


Enjoying the comfortable warmth of his bed, Harry raised the walls of his mind and began to reach out to his friends. He could feel Ginny first. She felt nervous. Don’t be nervous, Ginny, you are the best Seeker in the school. You can do this, Harry thought. He almost instantly felt Ginny relax and the exhilaration of flying overwhelmed her. Harry could almost feel the smile that played across her mouth as she soared into the air and started circling the pitch.


Next he reached out to Ron, and tension flooded his mind. Ron seemed to be focusing on everything at once. Harry could feel frustration, then excitement, followed by more frustration. He knew those feelings well”they were his last year while trying out new players. Harry continued the connection for a while, feeling the happiness Ron felt and also the anger. He could not tell what was happening, but after several minutes he decided that the tryouts were not going much better than they had the year before.


Last year was a fiasco. There’d been so many students out there, some of whom weren’t even in Gryffindor”all just to see the famous Harry Potter. It had been a very long morning.


Harry didn’t know why Ron was feeling frustration like this, but he knew that it must not be much fun. He then reached out to Hermione. He could sense her boredom. He knew that she’d never liked Quidditch much, but she’d still been at every game Harry and Ron had ever played. (Well, except the day she and Harry were introduced to Grawp.) Harry marveled at her devotion to her friends. She would willingly sit through the tryouts of a sport she didn’t care about just to be supportive of the people she cared for.


Suddenly the boredom changed to anxiety. Harry felt waves of nervousness and then relief roll through her. Five times the nervous tension would grow and then a wave of relief would come crashing over her. Harry thought he had good idea what was going on. Ron must be trying out for Keeper.Harry smiled, thinking of Ron making himself try out when he was the Captain.


Harry broke the connection, feeling a wave of guilt come crashing down upon him. His friends had not asked him to come to the tryouts, but he knew they would have wanted him there. He just could not bring himself to go. He was growing more depressed over all that the war had taken from him: friends, family, a relationship with Ginny, and now he couldn’t even play Quidditch. Neither can live while the other survives.

He got up and dressed, deciding to go and study in the library for the rest of the morning. He thought he could finish the essay on human Transfiguration while he was there and maybe do some research on Hepzibah Smith and Hufflepuff’s cup.


Hermione had been searching for information on the different possible Horcruxes all summer. She and Harry agreed that if Hufflepuff’s cup was a Horcrux, it was most likely in Hepzibah Smith’s house. They’d found the location of the house during the summer but never had a chance to go search it. The summer had been too busy, and they still didn’t know how to destroy the Horcrux when they found it. Destroying the diary and the snake were really just luck, and Dumbledore had not explained how he’d destroyed the ring. Harry, Ron and Hermione had decided not to risk raising Voldemort’s suspicion until they could find a means of destroying them. Earlier that week, Hermione had stumbled on a possible solution but would not elaborate until she was more positive. This left Harry thinking it was probably time to find the cup.


He walked down the stairs to the common room. There was a commotion in the hall leading to the portrait hole. Several first and second years who had not wanted to attend the tryout were standing in front of the announcement board.


“Another decree from the High Inquisitor?” Harry attempted to joke. All the kids simply stared at him, and he realized that none of these students had been there during the Umbridge reign of stupidity two years earlier. Boy am I getting old.


“Harry, look, there’s going to be some big ceremony during the Halloween feast,” proclaimed a second year that Harry didn’t know. He was impressed that the boy used his first name. Some of the first years had taken to calling him Mr. Potter or simply turning and running away from him when they saw him. “The Ministry’s going to send some representatives, but it doesn’t say what the ceremony is for.”


“Wow, that sounds like fun,” Harry lied. Some ceremony with the Ministry involved was not something that Harry was looking forward to.


He passed the group of excited eleven and twelve year olds and started for the portrait hole. “Bye, Mr. Potter,” giggled a group of first-year girls who were watching him leave. Harry just rolled his eyes and crawled out.
+++++++


In conclusion, human Transfiguration, becoming an Animagus, is one of the most difficult of all spells. Not only must one have the ability to cast a Patronus Charm, in order to identify one’s Animagus form, but one must also have the magical ability necessary to fully make the transformation. Finally, one must also have enough concentration to focus wholly on the animal one is to become.


Harry put down his quill and reread his essay. That sounds pretty good to me. I’ll let Hermione look it over later. Harry felt his stomach growl. He looked at his watch and remembered for the thousandth time that it did not work and had not worked since the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. He didn’t wear it to tell time, but to remember his triumphs and failures of that day.


He looked at the clock on the wall. It was two in the afternoon. He had missed lunch. His stomach growled again. Terrific, I already slept through breakfast and now I missed lunch. Harry sat there for a few minutes contemplating what he would do.


“Dobby,” he whispered.


Crack.


“Harry Potter is wanting Dobby, sir?” the house-elf asked with a big grin. It never failed. Whenever Harry wanted or needed something from Dobby, the little house-elf was there, ready to deliver.


“Hi, Dobby, how are you this afternoon?” Harry asked, grinning at the mismatched socks and green sweater with a D sewn onto the chest. Mrs. Weasley had given it to Dobby as a thank you for the help he had provided in the garden at Grimmauld Place.


“Dobby is very well, Harry Potter, sir. Dobby is better than well because the great Harry Potter makes a request of Dobby. What can Dobby do for sir?”


“Dobby, I am going to my room in about twenty minutes. Could you bring me a sandwich or something? I haven’t eaten all day.”


“Harry Potter, sir, it would be my pleasure to bring you whatever you would like. Sir, is your Wheezy going to be there?” Dobby asked.


“I don’t know, Dobby, he should be back from the tryouts so he probably will.” Harry wondered why Dobby was interested in whether or not Ron was going to be in the room.


“Dobby will be bringing some extra sandwiches then, sir,” Dobby said with a smile. He snapped his fingers and Crack, he was gone. Harry smiled at how well Dobby knew Ron.


Harry got up to retrieve a book from the shelves of the library. It was a current events book, written five years previously and enchanted to continuously update itself, which focused on the last twenty years of wizarding history. It was a book that he and Hermione had looked at often, although Harry had avoided the pages dedicated to his first defeat of Voldemort and their subsequent confrontations. He was able to find out that Hepzibah Smith had had no living heirs when she died, and that her house had been purchased by another magical family.


He noticed for the first time that the current owners both worked at the Ministry of Magic. Earl Vanderschamp was currently the Undersecretary of International Magical Cooperation, and his wife Eileen was a member of the Committee for Awarding Orders of Merlin as well as being on the Reversal of Accidental Magic Squad.


He began to make notes on the Ministry officials. The announcement about the ceremony during the Halloween feast had given him an idea. He could go then, after classes. The school would all be occupied with the feast and he could slip away for a couple of hours. Perhaps the couple would be at the ceremony also, and he could get into the house while no one was home. If they were home, who would deny the famous Harry Potter a chance to come in and chat or something. Harry was not sure what he would actually do if they were home, but he figured he would cross that bridge when he came to it.


“What are you working on, Harry?” Hermione asked, sitting at the table.


Harry was startled out of his thoughts and quickly pushed the notes for Hepzibah Smith’s house under his books. “Oh, just finished my Transfiguration essay. Could you take a look at it for me?” he asked, trying to distract Hermione from what he had been working on.


“Yeah, whenever you would like, Harry. I must say that I wish you would have been at the tryouts, but at least you were working on something important and not sleeping all this time,” Hermione commented.


“Yeah, I wanted to come but I just couldn’t, you know,” Harry declared. He handed Hermione his essay and she began reading. Several minutes later she handed it back to him. Harry was surprised to see so few red marks on it.


“Just a couple of grammar issues, nothing major. That was really a good essay, although you may want to say something about what happens when an Animagus’s Patronus changes. It doesn’t happen often, but the Animagus does have to work on the new transformation. They don’t have to start from scratch though, so it’s easier for them to learn the new form,” Hermione explained to him. “But that is all just extra. What you have here would probably get you an E at least,” Hermione complimented him. This was a rare treat lately.


Since Hermione had begun teaching, her eye for detail had grown stronger. She was relentless in checking both Ron’s and his work. Ron didn’t seem to mind, however, since he was getting the best marks he had ever earned at Hogwarts.


“Professor Granger, um, Professor Granger?” a red-haired first-year Ravenclaw boy asked from behind Hermione. She didn’t seem to notice.


“Hermione, I think this young man would like a word,” Harry said, smiling at the thought of Hermione being called Professor.


“I’m sorry?” she replied to Harry in confusion.


“Professor Granger, can I ask you a question?” the boy requested, looking a bit embarrassed.


“Oh dear, yes, Mr. Vendsel.” Hermione turned, finally realizing that he was talking to her. “I told you that you don’t have to call me Professor. Miss Granger is perfectly acceptable.” She was blushing slightly now.


“Yes, Professor”I mean, Miss Granger,” the first year stuttered. “I was wondering if you had marked my essay on transforming small objects into larger objects.”


“Yes, Mr. Vendsel, although I would remind you that class is the time to ask those questions,” Hermione declared. Harry was stunned by the resemblance to Professor McGonagall he saw in her.


“Once again your essay is very good. I did have to take some points, however, because you wrote two feet when I only wanted six inches. Following all the directions is important,” she explained.


“Yes, ma’am,” the boy sighed and stalked away.


“I seem to recall another first year who had trouble keeping essays to their proper length,” Harry grinned at Hermione. She blushed slightly again.


“Yes, and my teacher told me the same thing our first year,” she smiled back. “That young man is going to be a very good wizard someday. He’s brilliant. He always seems to get the spell on the first or second try.”

“Sounds like a friend of mine.” Harry got up to leave. “You coming?”


“No, I have some papers to grade,” Hermione said with a sigh. “I’ll see you guys at dinner.”


Harry walked out of the library. He was halfway back to Gryffindor Tower when he realized he hadn’t put his library books away.
+++++++


Entering the common room, Harry once again found a commotion in front of the message board. This time, however, it was a group of fifth- and sixth-year girls reading the announcement about the Halloween feast. The talk amongst the girls quickly moved from speculation about the ceremony to a discussion of what they would wear and who they would go with.


Harry puzzled over this, since the announcement didn’t say anything about dress or dates. This wasn’t like the Yule Ball. It was just the Halloween Feast.


“Well, I know who I am going with,” Romilda Vane stated with confidence. “One way or another. Oh, Neville,” she yelled as Neville walked down the stairs. Harry watched as Neville was quickly surrounded by five girls all talking at once. He turned scarlet and rushed back up to his dorm room. Harry thought Neville had better watch out for Chocolate Cauldrons laced with Love Potions in the future.


Maneuvering around the group of girls, and hearing the now familiar, “Hi Harry,” from several of them, Harry started for the fireplace. Harry was still the most eligible bachelor in Gryffindor. The news that he and Ginny were no longer together had spread quickly once things settled down. Neither of them explained why they had broken up, so the rumors were running rampant about it.


Harry found Ron sitting in one of the squishy armchairs in front of the fire. He had a stack of parchment on his lap and seemed to be working over it feverishly.


“Hey, Ron, how did tryouts go?”


“Rubbish, Harry, it was all rubbish,” Ron replied. He leaned closer to Harry, who sat in the chair next to him. “Well, maybe it’s not that bad. Our Seeker is pretty good. Ginny outflew everyone, although I don’t think she was really happy about getting the position. She doesn’t really like Seeker. I’m still the Keeper and I did pretty well today. The Chasers are a mess though, and don’t get me started on the Beaters.” Ron flopped back in exasperation.


“So what is all this?” Harry inquired. He knew that things were not that bad with the team and that Ron was only stressing due to his new responsibilities.


“Oh, this is our new game plan for Ravenclaw and the training schedule. Between the DA and classes, I don’t think we can be ready for the game in a month,” Ron sighed.


“You’ll do fine, Ron. Don’t worry about it. Now let’s go upstairs. Dobby is bringing us some sandwiches,” Harry stated, getting up from his chair.


“Great, I’m starving,” Ron exclaimed as he followed Harry out of the common room.
+++++

At twelve thirty Harry sat alone in the common room pretending to read his Charms book. The book sat in front of him but the words didn’t meet his eyes. He had noticed that from this particular couch he could see the eternal blue flame that rose from Dumbledore’s tomb by the lake. Harry hadn’t noticed it during the funeral, but when the white fire erupted around Dumbledore’s body, this single flame remained after the rest had gone out. It was a single testament to the fact that Dumbledore would never really be gone from Hogwarts, as long as the people there stayed loyal to his vision. As Harry sat there staring at it, a flood of emotions came to him.


He thought of the night in the cave, watching Dumbledore drink that poison as he, Harry, had to feed it to him. He saw in his mind’s eye the body that lay on the ground at the base of the Astronomy Tower. He remembered Dumbledore eating an ear wax flavored Every Flavor Bean after Harry had saved the Philosopher’s Stone.


Harry was startled out of his reverie by the movement of a small animal coming down the stairs. It was a small, orange, tiger-striped cat, slightly smaller than Crookshanks and twice as attractive, which wasn’t saying much. The cat lazily walked down the stairs. It seemed to wander for about ten minutes before making its way to the only warm body in the room.


Harry sat on the couch and watched. This had become a nightly ritual for about a week and a half. He would sit and do his homework, or read, or just stare out a window. The cat would come down and wander for a while before finally deciding it would condescend to allow Harry to pet it.


The cat jumped onto the couch and meowed at Harry as it walked over to him. It stretched and then balled itself up on his lap. Harry began to scratch the cat behind its ears and felt a small purr in response.


“Here again?” Harry commented to the cat. “I wish I knew which first-year girl brought you here. She might like to know that you are seeing me on the side, or that you go wandering at night like this.” The cat continued to raise its neck into Harry’s hand as he absentmindedly stroked it, taking comfort in the warm ball of fur now resting on his lap.


Harry closed his eyes and built the walls in his mind. He reached out to each of his friends, who were all contentedly relaxed or dreaming away in sleep. I may have to tell Hermione about that dream Ron is having, Harry mused with a grin. He then laid his head back and relaxed, allowing the comfort and contentment of his friends wash over him. It was not long before he was asleep.
+++++


A/N: Well I certainly hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you did, let me know. If you didn’t, let me know what you didn’t like.


As always, thanks need to go out to Kerrbear and Cableguysmom for their help with prebeta stuff, and JenC for doing a wonderful job making the story read well. Thanks ladies.

Up Next, the Rumor Mill get cranked up and Harry announces his decision.
Rumors and Rewards by ckwright51
Author's Notes:
I don't own anything in the Potterverse. It is all JKR's.
+++++++


“Do you think he’s still sleeping?” Ron whispered.


“He must be, Ron, otherwise he would have gotten up already,” Hermione answered under her breath. “How many times has he been out here all night?”


“This is the fourth time in eight days,” Ron responded, shifting a little to see if he could tell if Harry’s eyes were open.


Harry was lying on the couch facing its back. He had indeed been spending nights in the common room; he slept better out there he told himself. Even when he woke at dawn, he would go upstairs and climb into his bed for a few minutes before making a show of getting up. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt more at ease when he fell asleep on the couch. The orange cat would always be with him when he fell asleep and would always be gone when he woke.


He rolled over. “I am awake, yes I slept here all night, and I could tell you were here before you said anything,” Harry remarked dryly as he stretched and yawned.


“Are you all right, Harry?” Hermione asked nervously. “Why do you keep sleeping out here?”


“I’m fine, Hermione. I have had a lot of homework to do and I just tend to fall asleep on the couch while reading. It’s all right, I’m not bothering anyone.” Harry didn’t know why but he did not want to let them know that he was having a hard time sleeping since the dream and that he was finding comfort in some first year’s pet. “So, are you off to breakfast?” he asked, changing the subject.


“Yeah, do you want us to wait?” Ron interjected before Hermione could answer.


“No, I’ll be down in a few minutes. Save me some toast, okay, Ron?” Harry said as he walked past them to the stairs up to the dorms. Hermione gave him a nervous look but let the questions lie for the time being.


Harry felt awful for not telling his friends what was going on, but he felt he needed to keep them at arm’s length as much as possible.


He took a quick shower and walked back into his dorm room. He was dressed and on his way out when he heard a faint tapping at his window. Hedwig was sitting on the windowsill, waiting patiently for her master.


Harry walked over and opened the window. Hedwig hopped through with a small hoot. She lifted her leg and Harry removed the attached roll of parchment. He then walked over to his trunk, pulled out a box of Owl Treats, and gave a couple to the snowy white owl, who in turn nipped at his finger, saying good bye. She then leapt out the window and Harry watched her fly towards the Owlery.


Harry opened the roll of parchment, which had a Ministry seal on it.


Dear Harry,

I can’t believe that the Ministry didn’t give you one. I heard the other day that the committee was planning on awarding them during the Halloween Feast, but I just can’t believe that you are not the one they are giving them to. I’ve read the reports so I know that Ernie and Hermione helped and all, but I can’t believe they are the only ones getting the awards. Oh, and I heard about poor little Dennis Creevey. His uncle works with me at the Ministry in the Department of International Magical Cooperation. It’s just so sad. I think Colin is going back to Hogwarts soon, but I don’t know when.


Well that’s all from here. If you need to talk about things, Harry, I am always here. Just owl me and I can come to the school. See you soon.


Hugs and Kisses,
Cho Chang
Department of International Magical Cooperation




Harry read the letter a second time. He couldn’t understand what Cho was talking about. Well, the last part he thought he understood, but what awards could they possibly be giving to Ernie Macmillan and Hermione?


He was still thinking about this as he reached the bottom of the staircase.


“Morning, Harry,” Ginny shouted down to him. He looked up and saw her yawning.


“Morning, Ginny, didn’t you sleep well?” he asked. He noticed she had dark circles under her eyes.


“Oh, no. Just lots of homework last night, and I had patrol so I was up later than usual. How about you, I saw you when I came back. Did you go to bed last night or did you sleep on the couch again?”


“On the couch, how did you know?” Harry questioned as they reached the portrait hole.


“Lavender told me she saw you when she and Seamus went for a late night ‘walk’ and they noticed you when they got back. They said you had some cat lying on the couch with you,” Ginny explained. She had a slight blush going and Harry thought she might feel embarrassed for him.


“Yeah, some first year’s cat likes to sit with me in the evenings,” he replied. He did feel a little embarrassed about it, but not enough to complain. The truth was that the little cat had provided a great deal of comfort for him during the last several days.


“So, you said you had patrol?” Harry inquired. This was the question that had been hanging in his mind since the conversation started.


“Yeah, Ernie and I had patrol last night. He kept me past eleven thirty. Stupid prat,” Ginny stated.


The beast in Harry’s chest gave small growl at the idea of Ginny being out with Ernie that late. Harry also thought he heard of touch playfulness when she called him a stupid prat”the kind of playfulness one hears when you call someone stupid because you actually like them.


“Who sent you the letter, Harry?” Ginny inquired happily as they walked down the hall towards the stairs that would take them to the first floor.


“Oh, it’s from Cho,” Harry replied, a little too brightly. “It didn’t make much sense though.”


“Oh,” Ginny grumbled. They walked on in silence down to the Great Hall, each lost in their own thoughts and jealousies.


By the time they reached the Great Hall, they were both frowning. They spotted Ron and Hermione and walked over to join their friends. Ron seemed to be attempting to calm Hermione down as she talked and motioned with her hands at the table.


“Hermione, is everything all right?” Ginny asked. She sat down across from Hermione and Ron while Harry sat next to them with Hermione in the middle.


“No, everything’s not all right. This is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard of,” Hermione spat, brushing Ron’s hand from her back.


“What’s going on?” Harry requested sternly. Hermione pushed a copy of the Daily Prophet at him to read.


Hogwarts Students to Receive Order of Merlin

The Ministry of Magic has decided that two students from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry will be awarded the Order of Merlin, Third Class for their heroic efforts during a battle that took place in Hogsmeade on the first of September. The Ministry is only now releasing information about this incident to the Prophet.


Hermione Jane Granger and Ernest Alexander Macmillan will be receiving these honors during a private ceremony at the school on Halloween night.



Harry folded the paper and placed it back on the table. He looked up and saw that Ginny had grabbed another copy of the paper from a fellow Gryffindor and was finishing the full article. “Hermione, that’s wonderful, this is a real honor,” Harry exclaimed. He was not sure why she was so upset about the whole thing.


“No it isn’t, Harry. I didn’t even do anything,” Hermione exploded. “It was you and Ron who planned it. It was the rest of the DA who fought. I went with the other students. Anyone from the DA deserves this more than me.”


“Hermione, congratulations,” Ernie said, stepping up next to the table. “Good morning, Ginny, I hope you slept well,” he said with a smile. Harry fought to suppress a snarl.


“Good morning, Ernie. Congratulations on this. I, however, cannot accept it. I didn’t do anything,” Hermione declared just above a whisper.


“Well of course you did, you’re Head Girl. You were a leader, and as such, you deserve this honor,” Ernie retorted. He seemed completely caught off guard by Hermione’s reluctance to accept the praise that was being offered to her.


Hermione just sighed, got up and walked out of the Great Hall. Ron followed suit, glaring at Ernie as he left.


“What did I say?” Ernie asked no one in particular. No one attempted to answer him. “Ginny, can I have a word?” Ernie asked after a few seconds of silence.


“Actually, Ernie, I have”” Ginny began but did not get a chance to finish.


“No problem, Ernie, I was just leaving,” Harry interrupted her. He got up and stalked out of the Great Hall. He looked back and saw Ginny glaring at him while Ernie took a seat across from her.
++++++


By dinner that evening, the Hogwarts rumor mill had gone into full swing. The news of Hermione and Ernie receiving the Order of Merlin spread like wildfire and the idea that the Halloween Feast was going to be a formal Ministry Gala had become the rage around campus.


The rumor mill was nothing new to Harry, having been a victim of it more times than he could remember. He recalled when he and Hermione were supposed to be a couple in fourth year. That rumor had actually been circulated off and on for the entire time he had been at Hogwarts. Then there were rumors about him and Luna, him and Parvati, him and the entire class of fifth-year girls. He thought Romilda probably started that one.


He also thought back to some of the more laughable relationship rumors he had heard: he and Millicent Bulstrode, he and Pansy Parkinson, Ginny and Crabbe, Hermione and Crabbe, Ginny and Draco, Hermione and Draco. These last couples had Harry completely dumbfounded. Who would believe that Hermione or Ginny could ever think of Draco Malfoy as anything but a world-class git”even before he went off to be a Death Eater.


The Hogwarts rumor mill, Harry knew, was something less than reliable. In fact, they got it right so infrequently, it was something of a blessing when your name ended up with someone you didn’t like, virtually ensuring you would never date them. Today, however, Harry was putting more stock in the mill. The latest rumor was that Ernie was taking Ginny to the Halloween Feast. Harry knew that he had no right to be upset by this news, but the beast in his chest would not let him alone. The idea of Ginny moving on hurt him, and it was all he could do not to let it show.
+++++

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were sitting in the Room of Requirement that evening. Colin Creevey had indeed returned to school that day and the DA decided it would meet to welcome him back. Harry didn’t think it was a good idea but was outvoted.


The group had arrived an hour early, at Hermione’s insistence, but they weren’t talking now. Ron and Hermione had had their first real row since they’d gotten together. Hermione was continuing to refuse to accept the Order of Merlin, and Ron had finally gotten irritated about it. The row happened earlier that day.


“Hermione, you are just being silly. Of course you should accept the award,” Ron argued


“No, Ron, I shouldn’t accept it and I won’t. I won’t accept recognition for something I didn’t do. I didn’t fight the Dementors or the Death Eaters. I was with the children,” Hermione countered.


“Exactly, Hermione, you were doing what was needed. You were leading the younger students to safety. You deserve the honor, and it honors all of us that you’re receiving it.


“I don’t care, Ron. I didn’t earn it. I’m getting it under false pretenses. If anyone deserves it, it’s you and Harry. You both came up with the plan and fought. I wasn’t with you, so I don’t deserve to be rewarded.” Hermione had finally burst into tears and run from the Great Hall.



That event took place at lunch, and for the rest of the day, both Ron and Hermione remained very quiet towards each other and Harry. Harry was more than a bit confused by their silence towards him, but since he was fuming over Ginny and Ernie, he didn’t mind much. Now, they sat in the Room of Requirement still not saying much to each other.


Ginny hadn’t spoken to Harry since glaring at him as he walked out of the Great Hall during breakfast. She was sitting at the table now looking everywhere but his direction.


Harry was also scowling around the room, feeling angry about the Ginny and Ernie rumor and the fact that Ginny was obviously mad at him for something. He could not understand what.


Finally, after fifteen minutes that seemed more like fifteen hours, Hermione broke the silence. “Harry, when are we going to Hepzibah’s house?” she asked just above a whisper.


Harry was not expecting this question, so it took him a second to register it and think of his response. “Oh, I don’t know yet. I still have some research to do,” he lied.


“That’s funny, I thought you had all your research done. It looked like it from the notes you left in the library the other day”the ones you were working on when I came in”which you tried to hide under your books,” Hermione declared with more boldness.


“Oh, we could go during the Halloween feast,” Ginny mentioned, her face brightening for the first time all day.


“Don’t you have a date?” Harry hissed. He regretted it the moment he said the words.


“No, we can’t go on Halloween because Hermione has an award to accept,” Ron stated.


“We can too go on Halloween, Ron, because I am not accepting that award,” Hermione exclaimed.


“What do you mean don’t I have a date? What are you getting at Harry?” Ginny demanded.


“Hermione, why won’t you understand?” Ron pleaded.


“THAT’S IT!” Harry shouted, drawing the attention of the other three away from their oncoming row. “I am planning on going to the Smith house on Halloween night. All right, Hermione? You and Ron can stay and go to the ceremony or not go the ceremony. Ginny, you can go with your date and have a wonderful time. I am going and I’m going alone.”


“You can’t, Harry, we have to go with you,” Ron interjected.


“You can’t shut us out,” Ginny said. Her eyes were pleading with Harry, and he almost broke. He closed his eyes and the images of them all dead on the Quidditch pitch once again rose before him.


“You lot can’t go. I know you want to help me, but this is something I have to do alone. I can’t lose anyone else.” Harry watched as the two Weasleys jumped up to protest. Hermione remained in her seat looking terribly sad. “I know what Dumbledore said, but he has been wrong before. I don’t want to risk any of you. I feel guilty enough about Dennis, and I was barely his acquaintance. What would I do if something happened to you, any of you?” Harry slumped back into his chair, waiting for the angry response that he knew would come from his friends.


“So what are we doing all this training for if not to help you find these bloody things?” Ron shouted, leaning on the table.


“To make me stronger, to help me feel better, I don’t know.” Harry was now on his feet. “I just know if any of you go with me and have to face Voldemort then you are going to die. I can’t live with that.”


“Okay, Harry,” Hermione whispered, tears running down her cheeks. “If you don’t want us to come, we won’t come.”


Ron seemed to deflate before Harry’s eyes. Ginny glared at Hermione but said nothing by way of protest. She slowly sat back in her chair. Harry was stunned. He had expected more of a fight. He thought they would never let him go alone, would never let him face finding the Horcruxes without them. He had really not wanted them to come, but now that they said they would let him go alone, he was frightened by the prospect. “Good”I mean, if I can, I’ll bring back whatever I find and we can figure out how to deal with it here.”


The group settled into a tense silence for a few minutes. Ron and Hermione had somehow repaired the damage to their relationship by silently agreeing that Harry could go alone. Ginny still looked terribly angry and glared between Harry and Hermione. Harry closed his eyes and tried to gather his thoughts. He raised his mental walls, but immediately dropped them again. He could feel the hurt and anger coming from his friends and he knew that there was nothing he could do about it.


“Is it time?” came the nervous voice of Padma Patil as she walked into the room.


“Yes, Padma, we need to get started,” Hermione said, getting to her feet. The others followed suit and the table and chairs in the room were replaced by cushions, while spell books appeared on the walls.


Ten minutes after Padma arrived, the rest of the DA came in. Colin entered with Neville and a sixth-year Ravenclaw girl with dark red hair whom Harry didn’t know. Colin marched up to Harry with a grim look on his face. Harry watched Colin’s eyes as they bore into him. The little starstruck boy with the Muggle camera was gone. This was a young man who knew loss and pain. He was yet another boy who had to become a man before his time. No hero worship in there. I hope he doesn’t try to kill me for getting his brother killed. Harry held his gaze. He would not refuse Colin’s chance to blame him, to rail away at him for allowing Dennis to die.


“All right, Harry?” Colin asked.


“Yeah, Colin, look I’m”” Harry began. Colin waved him off.


“If it weren’t for you, Harry, and Ron and the rest of the DA, a lot more people would have been killed that night. Dennis knew what he was fighting for, and so do I.” Tears began to streak down his face. Harry watched, willing the tears in his own eyes to hold off. “Harry, it seems that it is going to be you who leads us in fighting”Vol”Voldemort. I’m with you.” Colin held out his hand.


Harry took it, feeling a new upsurge of pride in this group of young people standing in front of him, and also guilt for pushing those closest to him away. “Let’s just get through tonight, Colin.”


Colin smiled a small smile and took his place with the rest of the group. Hermione had tear streaks on her cheeks. Ron swiped at his eyes which were red and shining. Ginny looked on with her eyes filled with compassion for Colin. She then looked to Harry; he thought he could see a glimpse of that same compassion, but just as he thought he could see it, the hard glare returned.


“Okay, let’s get started,” Harry announced. “Tonight we are going to work on some Shield Spells and casting the Patronus. Voldemort likes to use his Dementors as a first wave in his battles because there aren’t many wizards who can cast a Patronus. Most of you can, at least to some degree. The more of you there are who can cast a strong and sustained Patronus, the better.”
+++++

The meeting went fairly well. By the end of the night, most of the DA was able to cast a corporeal Patronus and control it. Harry was puzzled by the lack of success of some of the group, however. As the meeting was winding down, he walked over to Ginny, who was standing with Neville and Luna. The three of them had not managed to cast a Patronus all night.


“All right, everyone?” Harry questioned.


“Hi, Harry,” Neville replied. “Expecto Patronum.” A shot of silver mist came from Neville’s wand but nothing more.


“Luna, you and Ginny look like you both are struggling with your Patronuses as well,” Harry commented.


“Oh sorry, Harry, guess I was thinking of my upcoming date,” Ginny retorted. She turned red, her eyes went wide with surprise and her hand came to her mouth, as if she had not really intended to say that out loud. She then bolted from the meeting.


Harry blushed but said nothing as she left.


“Harry, you really ought to tell her that you love her. It’s pretty clear for all to see,” Luna commented. “Expecto Patronum.” More silver mist but nothing more. She tucked her wand behind her ear and looked at her watch. “Time to go, Harry.”


“What”oh yeah, right, time to go,” Harry stammered. He was stunned by what Luna had said. Can everyone tell I feel this way? Then why can’t she? Why does she like that prat Macmillan? Harry thought to himself. He looked at Ernie as he guided his silver horse around the room.


“Okay everyone, time to go,” Hermione shouted as her silver otter roamed around the room, followed closely by Ron’s dog.
++++++


Harry noticed it was quarter to one when the final group of Gryffindors went to bed. It was a group of fifth-year boys who were planning a prank to pull “right under the Head Girl’s nose.” Harry smiled to himself, thinking that Hermione would have it sniffed out and them in detention by lunch the next day.


Harry stretched and yawned. He opened his Defense book and began reading up on more advanced Shield Spells. The movement of his cat caught his eye. He had come to think of this little orange ball of fur as his”his friend and confidant. This cat had heard many of his greatest fears over the last couple of weeks: his fears about the future, about what he wanted to do after school; his fears that he would not live to see life after school. This cat was his friend. It didn’t judge him for feeling scared. It didn’t tell him he was being a prat for trying to push his friends away. It didn’t try to encourage or discourage him. It just listened.


The cat wandered around for a little longer than usual. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, it sauntered over to him, its tail raised and its head held high. It jumped onto the couch and walked over to Harry, allowing him to pet it.


“Well, at least you understand,” Harry stated as he gently scratched the cat behind its ear. “I know that my friends mean well and they really do have a role to play in all this, but I don’t think I could survive if I lost one of them.”


“Meow,” the cat announced.


“And the stuff with Ginny is driving me crazy. I don’t see what she sees in that pompous prat but she’s always with him. It’s probably better this way because with what I have to do, I don’t think I want her around me when it is all over.”


“Meow.”


“I mean if she knew what the prophecy said”that I would have to be killed by Voldemort or become a murderer by killing him”I can’t imagine her wanting to be around me after that, even if I do survive.” Harry’s voice cracked on the last couple of words. Harry looked at the cat and noticed it was looking directly into his eyes.


He pulled the cat close to him, feeling the warmth of its body on his chest. He leaned back on the couch, the cat still on his chest, and closed his eyes. He raised the walls of his mind and reached out to his friends. Ron was sleeping soundly; Hermione seemed anxious and also angry. Harry vaguely wondered if she had already found out about the prank the fifth years were planning. Neville was feeling nervous, either sleeping restlessly or still awake. He couldn’t reach Luna all the way in Ravenclaw tower. Ginny seemed very sad and angry, but Harry didn’t think it was directed at him at the moment. He felt the peace that always came to him when he focused on her flood through him. He relaxed and slept as the cat purred softly on his chest.
++++++

A/N: Well there you have it. Harry is being noble again and going it alone. I hope you liked this chapter. I enjoyed writing this one a lot. Let me know what you thought with a quick review or a long one. I love to hear your thoughts, even the criticism.


As always, a huge thanks to go my pre-betas cableguysmom and Kerrbear, who have been wonderful helping me with plot development and keeping the story going. Major wonderful thanks to my beta JenC who is doing a great job making this sound good. Thanks ladies.


Up Next, Hufflepuff’s cup.

Hufflepuff"s Cup by ckwright51
I don't anything in the Potterverse.
++++++


“Neville, hurry up. We were supposed to be there five minutes ago,” Harry called back as he and Neville raced down the long first floor corridor.


“I know, but Professor Scurlock will understand,” Neville panted, running behind Harry and losing ground.


“I don’t care. The Halloween Feast is tonight and I can’t afford a detention for being late,” Harry countered, as he rounded a suit of armor. The door to the Defense classroom was now within sight. Harry reached the door. Neville was panting as he came up behind him. Harry was gratified to notice that he didn’t even feel winded. Four months of constant training, at least I’m in better shape, Harry mused.


He opened the door and started to walk quietly into the room. He was surprised to see that the room was still rather noisy and that Professor Scurlock was not in front of the class. He and Neville quickly made for the seats that Hermione and Ron had been saving for them.


“Where have you two been?” Hermione questioned as they sat down. “Class was supposed to start eight minutes ago.”


“I know, we were training,” Harry whispered. His training was a closely guarded secret and for once it was a secret that had been kept at the school. “Neville and I against Remus and Tonks.” Harry grinned, thinking of the last disarming spell he had used on Tonks.


“Yeah, Hermione, you should have seen it,” Neville interjected with a grin. “He disarmed Tonks without saying a word. I was dueling with her and when Harry stunned Remus, he just looked at her and waved his wand. She went flying one way and her wand went the other.” Neville looked at Harry, a sense of awe crossing his face. Harry blushed slightly.


“Neville, you did really well too,” Harry stated encouragingly. “We didn’t lose a single duel today. Maybe the next time we work on Patronus Charms at the DA, you could remember how you bound Tonks and dodged Remus’s Stunner all in one motion. It was really good.” It was Neville’s turn to blush.


“Where on earth is Professor Scurlock? He has been late before, but this is ridiculous,” Ron mentioned. “How long do we wait before we just leave?”


Hermione looked scandalized by the very mention of leaving a class before the teacher arrived. Ron was saved from having to defend himself as the door of Scurlock’s office opened and a very harried looking professor stepped out.


“My apologies, class, for being late. I was held up with some important business,” Scurlock announced as he made his way towards the students. He stumbled as he reached the bottom step of the staircase leading to his office, and Harry was reminded of a conversation he had with Ginny the day before, regarding the strange behavior of their Defense teacher.

“Have you noticed anything unusual about Professor Scurlock?” Ginny had commented, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice. “I don’t know, something about him just doesn’t seem to fit, but I can’t put my finger on it.”


Hermione looked questioningly at her. “Well he does seem a bit awkward and clumsy at times, but other than that what is there?”


“I don’t know, sometimes when he looks at me in class, it’s like he’s watching me more closely than the others.” Harry pulled a wry face, raising his eyebrows. “Not like that, Harry.” Ginny slapped his arm. “Like he is making sure nothing happens to me. We have about twice as many Slytherins in Defense this year, so whenever we practice dueling, it is inevitable that I get paired with one of them. He always seems to be watching to make sure they don’t try anything funny.”

“Like he is making sure no one tries to actually hurt you?” Harry replied. “Isn’t that what the professor is supposed to do?”


“It just seems different somehow. That and he shows up late for class a lot. I don’t know, it just seems strange.”


Harry had not thought about it much, but now, as he watched the professor place his things on his desk in preparation for class, it seemed like there was something strange about him. Harry watched more intently as Scurlock began class.


“Today I want us to look at Patronus Charms. It is my understanding that many of you have already mastered the Patronus.” He gave Harry a knowing look. “But there are still some, I am sure, who need to practice.”


“You all know the incantation?” The students, all of whom were part of the DA, (except for those in Slytherin) nodded. Several from Slytherin did not nod, nor did they acknowledge the professor at all. “Well, for those who don’t know, the incantation is Expecto Patronum, and one must think of a very happy or positive thought in order to make the charm work. Now everyone.” Scurlock raised his hands to get everyone to stand.


Hermione quickly raised her hand. “Please, Professor, wouldn’t it be better to let us go one at a time? Otherwise you may have a lot of Patronuses running around.”


“Oh yes, very wise, Miss Granger. We wouldn’t want to make too much of a mess with all those Patronuses running back and forth. Perhaps you would like to try first?”


“Expecto Patronum,” Hermione shouted, and her silver otter came prancing out of the end of her wand. It scuttled around the room for a few seconds before evaporating.


“Very good, Miss Granger. Five points to Gryffindor,” Scurlock announced. “Mr. Longbottom, if you please.”


Neville looked nervous and Harry understood why. While Neville had made great strides in his magical abilities, he still had not been able to cast a Patronus. He had been working on it in the DA for weeks, but the best he could do was a thin silver mist.


“Expecto Patronum!” Silver mist shot from the wand but nothing more. Neville turned red and looked back to his friends at the table. Hermione gave him a reassuring nod as Harry mouthed the words “you can do it.”


“Give it another go, Mr. Longbottom?” Scurlock asked.


“Expecto Patronum,” Neville shouted. The silver mist came back but quickly formed into the image of a large bear, slightly larger than Harry’s stag. The bear stalked around the room for about thirty seconds before fading away.


“Great job, Neville. That was excellent.” Harry shouted. He was pleased with Neville for finally getting it. Ron clapped him on the back and Hermione smiled at him.


“Thanks, Harry, I used your advice and thought about the duel today,” he whispered so that no one else in the room would hear.


“Mr. Boot?” Scurlock went on.


The rest of the class was filled with every shape of silvery animal walking, flying and hopping through the classroom. By the end of the class, only two Slytherins were unable to cast a Patronus properly. Hermione had earned the Gryffindors fifteen more points for knowing how and why a person’s Patronus may change.


“Only on rare occasions. If the person deeply loves someone else, the Patronus may change, although that is not guaranteed. The witch or wizard has no control over the change. It is simply a manifestation of their love,” Hermione had explained.
+++++++


Ron, Hermione, Neville and Harry were walking back to Gryffindor tower. Harry’s good feelings from class and the dueling training were quickly being replaced by anxiety. It was Halloween night and that meant Harry was going to London, by himself, in search of Hufflepuff’s cup.


It had been three weeks since he announced to Ron, Ginny and Hermione that he would be going, alone, to find the cup. It was three weeks of tension. Ron and Hermione seemed to always be on the verge of arguing about something. Harry and Ron had come to a gentlemen’s agreement not to discuss the matter. Hermione attempted to act like nothing was wrong, but he could tell she was concerned about it.


The four entered the common room. Ginny was in the corner talking with another sixth-year girl. She looked up just as Harry entered through the portrait hole. She got up and started walking towards them. Harry’s heart gave a little leap, then sank.


“Hi you lot. Sorry, but I have to get ready for the feast,” she said brightly and went upstairs with a grin. This was how she had acted since he’d said she couldn’t come with him. She didn’t act angry or hurt. She didn’t seem upset. She acted as if nothing had happened. Harry thought she acted like she didn’t care anymore. That was far worse for Harry than if she would have been angry. If she didn’t care then maybe she really had moved on. Maybe she really did like Ernie.


“Bye, Ron, I will see you in an hour or so,” Hermione stated as she reached up to give him a kiss. She turned to Harry. “Be careful tonight, Harry,” she whispered and hugged him. She then made her way up to her dorm. Harry, Ron and Neville walked up to their room.


“So, Harry, you still haven’t said who you are going with tonight,” Neville inquired, making conversation as he started to get ready.


“Oh, yeah, well actually, I’m not going tonight. I’ve got too much homework to do,” Harry stammered. He knew that somehow Neville was supposed to help him, but he hadn’t even told him about the Horcruxes. Neville could help me by training and staying safely in the school, Harry thought.


“Really, I would have thought that you would’ve had your pick of dates, Harry,” Seamus remarked. “I mean, every girl I talk to says they would have loved to go with you.”


“It isn’t that I couldn’t get a date”I really do have homework,” Harry replied, starting to feel annoyed.


“Whatever you say, but I bet you could still find someone to go with you if you wanted. I bet Romilda would love to go with you,” Dean Thomas commented.


“I don’t want or need a date because I can’t go because I have too much work to do!” Harry was feeling very annoyed now”annoyed because his roommates were so interested in his love life and annoyed because Ron was not coming to his defense. “Tell ‘em, Ron. Tell them I have too much homework to do.”


“He has too much homework to do,” Ron declared with no real life to it.


“Thanks, mate.” Harry stormed out of the room. He walked along the stairs. The common room was empty. The younger students were at a smaller feast held just for them. McGonagall had decided that the first and second years should not come to the ceremony since it would be a very late night for them. The older ones were getting ready for the ceremony and the main feast that followed. Harry walked towards one of the armchairs. He sat down and closed his eyes. He felt terribly alone.


He heard footsteps coming from the girls’ stairwell. He then heard voices. “I don’t care if it’s killing you. You can’t say anything now. If he finds out, it will be worse,” one of the voices said. Harry could just make out the words, but because they were said in an undertone, he couldn’t figure out who was speaking. He was in a chair that faced away from the steps, so whoever was talking didn’t know he was down there.


“But if I tell him, at least he will know and then…” the second voice answered back.


“Then he will be hurt that we kept it from him. He’ll really not trust us and we won’t be able to help him at all.” Harry recognized the first voice now”it was Hermione.


“I just have to tell him,” Ginny said as she stepped off the final step.


“Tell me what?” Harry stood up so that Hermione and Ginny could see him. His heart was sinking even lower as he attempted to figure out what Ginny needed to tell him but Hermione wouldn’t let her. What would hurt him more and make him not trust them?


“Oh, Harry,” Hermione stammered. “I didn’t know you were still down here. We were just coming to grab a book she left.”


“What does Ginny need to tell me?” Harry glared at Hermione. Ginny turned pale and began looking around the room as if she was looking for an escape route.


“She didn’t want me to tell you”” Ginny started, still not looking at Harry.


“Tell you that she is going to the feast with Ernie Macmillan,” Hermione cut across her in a rush. “I didn’t want her to tell you because I thought it would really upset you and that it would make things more difficult.” Ginny stared in shock at Hermione and turned scarlet.


“Really, Ginny?” Harry asked. “You thought that would upset me. It’s all right. We aren’t together anymore so if you want to go with Ernie, I understand. I thought you guys were talking about something serious,” Harry announced with a grin that didn’t reach his eyes. His insides were twisting into painful knots, but he owed it to Ginny to not stand in her way. He didn’t want her to feel like she couldn’t have a life just because he couldn’t.


“You don’t care?” Ginny questioned, a bewildered look in her eye. “It’s not important to you if I go the feast with Ernie?”


“Well, no, I mean, Ernie is a bit pompous for my taste, but if you like him,” Harry stated flatly.


“Okay then, I guess I have to go and get ready for my date with Ernie,” Ginny commented. Harry was surprised to see the color had completely gone from her face. “Good luck tonight, Harry. Be careful.” She walked back up the stairs.


Harry’s heart felt like it was about to break into small pieces. Hermione came over to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She smiled at him and nodded encouragingly. Harry took a deep breath and sighed. “Well, I had better get going. Hermione, don’t do anything stupid tonight, like not accepting the award. You’ve earned it.” Hermione just smiled at him and shook her head slightly.


“Harry,” Ron called from the top of the stairs. “You aren’t going to leave yet, are you?” he questioned as he got to the bottom of the stairs.


“No, I think I will go the library first. Once everyone is at the feast, I can come back and get my pack. My Invisibility Cloak is in it and I’ll sneak out. McGonagall was not at all happy about my going, but since Dumbledore said I could go when I needed to, she didn’t really have much to say about it. She told me to be careful, told me how to unlock and lock the gates, and said that she would want to know the minute I got back.”


“When do you think it will be?” Hermione asked.


“I don’t know. McGonagall told me that the feast would be over by eleven and that the owners of the house, the Vanderschamps, would probably be here for the duration of the feast, since Mrs. Vanderschamp is on the Order of Merlin committee. That means I have until around quarter to eleven to find it and get out,” Harry explained.


Ron and Hermione were silent. They each sat with their own thoughts for several more minutes, until finally Hermione got up to leave. She gave Harry another quick hug and went to get ready for the feast.


“Ron, I am sorry about all this”” Harry started when Hermione had left.


“I know, Harry, you’re just doing what you think is best. I can’t say I would do it any differently. We all have to do what we have to do in this war.” Ron got up to leave. “I need to go and get ready. Be careful, mate.”
+++++++


An hour later, Harry was under the Invisibility Cloak, walking along a cement path leading to Hepzibah Smith’s former house. He was about halfway to the front door when he distinctly heard a pop. Instinctively he whirled around but saw only cars driving up the street. Stop being so jumpy, Harry. He took a deep breath and slowly turned to look at the house; he continued to take deep, calming breaths as he looked around.


It was dusk and Harry was having a difficult time seeing clearly in the small amount of light. He heard an owl hoot somewhere in the distance behind him. The house was large”larger than Harry had expected after seeing the photos. Hermione had found the pictures of the house, along with a wide shot of most of the street, in a guide book to the richest homes in Wizarding London. He was able to use the pictures as a point of reference to Apparate there. Now, as he stood in front of the old house, he was surprised by its size.


It was three stories, with large white columns on a porch that seemed to wrap around the entire house. The second floor windows all had small balconies with intricately carved, white wood railings. The third floor had five gabled windows, all painted green. Harry smirked, thinking about the book he had seen Ron reading in the dorms a few nights before. It was called Anne of Green Gables and he said it was one of Hermione’s favorite Muggle books. The other young men in the room had had a great laugh over it.


He started up the path towards the house again. There was a rustling in the shrubs off to his left, but Harry just chalked it up to the wind. He reached the front door. It was locked. He pulled out his wand and tapped the knob without saying a word. The lock clicked and Harry quietly opened the door.


He stepped inside and got his bearings. The first time he had seen the inside of the house was through the memory of Hokey, Hepzibah’s house-elf, and he had stayed in the sitting room where Hepzibah was seated waiting on her guest. Over the past several weeks, he had been entering the memory and following Hokey everywhere the little house-elf had gone that evening. By now he had a pretty good idea of the layout of the house.


The interior was very different. Hepzibah had been a pack rat, filling the house with trinkets of all sorts. The Vanderschamps, however, were much more fastidious in their decorating. Harry was glad for this since it made it easier to move through the house and find the room he was looking for.


He found the correct door off the main hall and slowly entered the room, still under the Invisibility Cloak. As he entered, there was a small creaking sound and Harry thought he must have found a loose floor board. He could tell this was the room he wanted. It was smaller than he remembered it, but this was definitely the correct room. Many of the cabinets remained, along with some of the lacquered boxes that were in them”the room was remarkably similar to how it had looked in Hokey’s memory. The boxes on the floor were gone, but the cabinets and cases on the walls remained”all except the wall on the right.


He removed the Cloak and stuffed it into his pack, closed his eyes and raised the walls in his mind. When he opened his eyes, he immediately saw a red glow coming from the one empty wall in the room. Harry walked over to it, and as he approached he felt the dark magic growing. The closer he got, the stronger it got.


He focused his mind on the wall in front of him, trying to see what was needed to get past it. After a couple of seconds the word “blood” came into his mind. “Again? You aren’t very creative are you, Tom,” Harry muttered to himself. He reached into his pack and found his silver potions blade. He sliced his hand, wincing at the sting, and placed his palm on the wall. Light began to form an archway on the wall, and after several seconds, an opening appeared, leading to a hallway. Harry quickly healed the wound on his hand using a spell that Hermione had showed him.


He walked for about twenty feet and found an arched doorway which was closed. He tried the handle and found it locked. He tapped the door with his wand, but nothing happened. He again focused his mind on the door. The word “blood” again went across his mind. “Bugger,” Harry spat as he again found his silver blade and sliced his hand.


He place his bloody hand on the doorknob, heard a click, and the door opened. The hall was flooded by firelight. He entered a small round room. The walls were brick and there was no furniture to be seen. In the center of the room, floating in midair was a Quaffle-sized ball of flames.


“Great, I suppose the cup is in there,” Harry stated. “Well, at least I know that something is here. I hope no one beat me to this one.” He focused his mind again, this time trying to find the answer to the fireball. As he focused, the answer didn’t come, but through the flames he was able to see the ornate gold cup he was there to retrieve. “Well, that looks like it,” he said under his breath. His heart, which had been racing, moved to a higher gear. He again attempted to slow his breathing and calm himself. His heart slowed a little and his adrenaline came under more control.


I still don’t know how to get to the cup, he thought. “Aguamenti,” he stated. Water shot from the end of his wand into the fire. Steam rose but nothing else happened”the fireball was still blazing away.


Harry wracked his brain, attempting to find the correct spell. He tried an Ice Charm that he had seen Ginny use during the summer to instantly cool a drink. It had no effect. He thought about simply blasting the fire away but decided that would not be a good idea considering he was in such a small room. He noticed that while the fireball seemed to burn with great intensity, it gave off very little heat.


He focused his mind again on the solution, and again he saw the cup clearly but didn’t have the foggiest idea of how to get to it. Finally, as he focused his mind, his thoughts turned to Hermione. She would have known what to do, he thought bitterly. His mind then quickly turned to a story he had heard about witches using a Flame Freezing Charm to be able to survive being burned at the stake. He smiled and realized he had found the answer. He was surprised to find that he actually knew the incantation for the spell. When did I learn this? he wondered.


He waved his wand at the fire. The spell hit the flame, but there was no visible change. Harry wondered if the spell had worked but remembered that when the medieval witches used it, the flames still appeared to be normal flames. He focused again on the fireball and got a mental image of the cup, with no flames around it. “Ha, it worked!” Harry exclaimed.


He reached into the flames; they felt warm but nothing more. He grasped the cup. Simultaneously he heard a creaking sound, as the door he had entered began to slowly swing shut. He also saw the image of the cup he had in his head flash with flame again. This is a trap, Harry thought. I can pull my hand out and probably burn it off or I can let the door close and be stuck here until Voldemort shows up.


Harry didn’t have time to ponder the situation; he had to get out of the room. He quickly pulled his hand out of the fire. Screaming in pain as the flesh on his left hand was severely burned, he dropped the cup on the floor, then grabbed it in his right hand and dove out of the nearly closed door. He was having a hard time breathing because of the pain in his hand and lower arm. He quickly moved through the corridor to the archway. It had sealed itself again. He noticed a blood smear on the cup and realized that he hadn’t healed his hand from before. He put the cup under his left arm, cringing at the pain involved in moving it. He placed his bloody hand on the wall and the archway appeared again.


Harry stepped through the arch, his head now swimming with the amount of pain that was radiating from his hand. He hurried through the house. He got to the door and simply kicked it open, not thinking about what the owners would think when they returned home and found their front door kicked off its hinges. Harry was starting to see stars and he was afraid he might pass out from the pain.


He stepped shakily onto the porch. He saw an animal diving off the porch, but didn’t take time to care. He raced down to the front street, knowing that he couldn’t Apparate inside the yard. He could see the Anti-Apparition barrier around the property. Thankfully, there were no cars or people in the street at that time of night. It was almost pitch black with only a crescent moon in the sky. He focused his mind again, this time on the front gates of Hogwarts, and felt the pinching sensation of Apparition.


He next found himself at the Hogwarts gates. They were locked. He tapped the lock but nothing happened. He was losing his battle to stay conscious. Finally, he pronounced the unlocking charm that McGonagall had told him; the lock opened and the chains snaked around, allowing the gate to be pushed open. He stepped through the gate, without locking it again and collapsed. The walls in his mind were crumbling and the pain in his arm intensifying. He was blacking out. The last thing he heard was the Crack of someone Apparating before he finally lost consciousness.
++++++

A/N: See what being noble gets you, unconscious with a charred hand. Will Harry ever learn? I hope you all liked this one, it was one of my favorites. If you liked it let me know. If you think you know what is going to happen next, let me know. I love to hear what you are thinking.


Thanks go out to my lovely and talented pre-betas, Cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Also big thanks for my wonderful and talented beta JenC. Thanks ladies, you take wonderful care of me.


Up next, we see the results of Harry’s nobility complex, and we answer the age old question, how do you destroy a Horcrux.
Singulus Substantia by ckwright51
I don’t own anything in the Potter Universe.
++++++


“What sort of mess has this young man gotten himself into now?” Madam Pomfrey exclaimed. Judging by the very close proximity of her voice, Harry thought that she must be examining him. His left arm was numb, but he could distinctly smell the odor of burnt flesh. His stomach turned over and he thought he might be sick. Finally, he opened his eyes.


“Oh, you’re awake. Mr. Potter, what on earth happened to your arm?” Madam Pomfrey questioned.


Harry just looked at her, not knowing how to explain what had happened without giving away too much about where he had been. His eyes went wide with shock. The cup, where is the cup? Harry thought.


“Mr. Potter, I can’t help you unless I know the source of these burns. They are not natural, and if I heal them without knowing more about them, you may lose that arm.”


“It was a magical ball of fire. I tried a Flame Freezing Charm on it, but I still got burned. I don’t know if the Charm worked or not,” Harry finally answered. “What about my pack?”


“Where in the…Oh, never mind. I don’t think I want to know,” Madam Pomfrey declared in exasperation. “Minerva told me to expect you. Your pack is in your room. I suppose it was Dark magic that caused this?”


“Yes, ma’am.”


Madam Pomfrey left the bedside, which had a curtain drawn around it, and was back again in a couple of minutes with three vials of potion.


“Mr. Potter, please drink this. It should stop the burning of your arm and it will probably make you a bit drowsy,” Madam Pomfrey commented, handing him a dull grey potion.


Harry drank it, made a disgusted face, and then looked back at the Hogwarts nurse questioningly. “What do you mean it will stop the burning? I can’t even feel my arm.”


“Of course you cannot feel it. I placed a Numbing Charm on it the moment you got here.” Madam Pomfrey handed him a vial of reddish liquid. “This will start the process of restoring the damaged nerve endings in your arm.”


Harry swallowed the potion, grimaced and put it aside. “How did I get here then?”


“A house-elf popped in and brought you with him. I have no idea where he found you.” She explained.


“Which house-elf was it?” Harry inquired. He had a feeling he knew but wanted to make sure.


“How should I know, Mr. Potter, the all look the same to me. He did keep muttering something about helping the great Harry Potter, but I didn’t ask for identity. I was too concerned with you taking care of your wounded arm.” Madam Pomfrey handed him the final vial of potion. This one was a light tan. “This potion will help to restore the lost skin and muscle.”


Harry cringed. The potions were doing nothing to help his nausea. He swallowed the last potion and gagged, but managed to keep the contents of his stomach in place. Madam Pomfrey bustled out of the enclosed space again, muttering under her breath. “First Miss Granger and now Mr. Potter. I guess Mr. Weasley will be in here soon as well.”


She returned several minutes later with five more vials of potion. They were a sickly green. “Mr. Potter, you must take one of these every four hours for the next day. It will keep infection from setting in.” She placed the vials on the nightstand.


“Thank you, Madam Pomfrey, for all you have done for me,” Harry remarked. Madam Pomfrey immediately softened.


“It is the least I can do, Mr. Potter.”


“You said a minute ago that Hermione was here?”


“Why yes, just before the Halloween Feast. The ceremony was about to start and she just fainted right there on the stage. Well, we got her up here just as quickly as we could. She was unconscious, and I went to see about getting some Pepperup Potion. She took it and half an hour later she was feeling up to leaving. She said she wanted to get back to the feast but I would not hear of it. Obviously, the excitement of the feast was just too much for the poor girl. I sent her back to the common room. Mr. Weasley said he would make sure she did not attempt to go down to the feast.” She handed him the first of the green potions.


He took the potion, wondering why Hermione had gotten so nervous and fainted. He did not think she had ever suffered from nervousness in front of people before. He could not wrap his brain around the inconsistency, however, because the effects of the first potion were making him a bit loopy. He swallowed the green potion and was amazed that this particular potion tasted nicely of fresh mint. He smiled in surprise.


Madam Pomfrey must have noticed the look, for she commented, “Well they can’t all taste horrible, now can they?” She smiled and stepped out of the enclosure.


Within minutes, Harry heard the Hospital Wing door open. “Madam Pomfrey,” came the quiet voice of Ginny. “Is Harry awake yet?”


“Yes, dear, but I am afraid you all must come back tomorrow. He has a lot of healing to do this evening,” the school nurse responded kindly.


“Madam Pomfrey, could I see them for a second?” Harry asked.


“Well, all right, just a couple of minutes. Probably save Mr. Weasley from sneaking down here in the night anyway,” she answered, as she pulled back the curtain from around Harry’s bed. Harry saw that Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and Luna all stood at the door. All of a sudden he felt very self-conscious about his blackened arm. He moved to hide it under the sheet, and in doing so noticed the charred part of his arm had grown, from just around his hand to just past his elbow. That was what she meant about the burning needing to be stopped, Harry thought.


His friends gathered around the bed. They looked very concerned for him. Even Luna had a serious, instead of dreamy, look in her eyes.


“Harry…,” Hermione started tentatively.


“I’m fine, Hermione. I just had a harder time with…things than I figured,” Harry expressed, attempting to avoid yawning, his eyes beginning to grow heavy. “How about you? Madam Pomfrey said you fainted?”


Hermione blushed, Ron scowled, and the others looked away. “Yeah, well, I guess my nerves must have gotten to me.”


“More likely those fifth years you caught trying to turn Filch’s cat into a duck a few weeks ago slipped you a Fainting Fancy, in your drink or something,” Ron growled, accusingly. “You know I saw them with a Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes catalogue the other day.”


“Well, that would explain it, Ron, but we don’t have any proof so just drop it, okay?” Hermione stated, testily. Harry could see her cheeks burning and thought that Hermione must be extremely embarrassed about the whole thing.


“What happened, Harry?” Neville asked. “How did you get hurt?”


“Did Dobby bring my pack into the common room?” Harry inquired, seemingly ignoring Neville.


“Yeah, he put it in our dorm room,” Ron answered. “Did you get it?”


“I did,” Harry smiled, more broadly than he intended. The potions’ effects were getting worse. “Although I don’t want to talk about it here. Neville, I will”what did you ask me?” Harry asked, his brow furrowed in concentration.


“I asked about what you did, how you got hurt,” Neville stated, looking agitated.


Harry eyes began to close and he leaned back on his pillow. “That’s what I thought you said.” His breathing slowed and it did not take long for everyone to see he was asleep.


“Everyone out, it has been more than just a couple of minutes,” Madam Pomfrey announced quietly. They all got up to leave and Harry changed positions on the bed. The sheet covering his arm pulled away and they saw for the first time how badly he had been hurt. They all quietly left the room, Hermione a little shaky at the sight of Harry’s arm.
+++++


The next day was Saturday. The vast majority of the school had ventured down to the Quidditch Pitch for a match between Slytherin and Hufflepuff, which wasn’t expected to be terribly close. Slytherin had most of its players back, although they had a new Seeker. Hufflepuff had lost a couple of good seventh-year players to graduation, and some who had been expected to help this year had not come back to school.


Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Neville and Luna all sat at a large round table in the Room of Requirement. The room was silent, as if they all were waiting for Harry to begin the discussion. Sitting in the middle of the table was an ornately carved golden goblet. It shined brightly, despite its age. A large “H” and a badger were engraved in three places on the side, with two handles on each side. Harry, his walls raised and his mind focused, could see the dark magic radiating from it, the blood-red light shimmering and pulsing in rhythm like a heart beat.


Harry was feeling uncomfortable. His arm, while doing a remarkable job of healing, was still very red, like a bad sunburn, and sensitive to the touch.


Along with the others, he sat, contemplating the cup. He thought back to the events of the previous night, wondering if he could draw any conclusion. On the one hand, he was successful. He had figured out how to retrieve the cup and had returned to Hogwarts without getting attacked by Death Eaters or Voldemort. On the other hand, it had been a failure. He was injured badly for his efforts, almost losing his arm, and if he had not made it to Hogwarts then the burning may have continued until it did cost him his life. He still did not know how Dobby had managed to find him and take him to the Hospital Wing but thought he must have called to him without realizing it. It was a success, but I could have used some more help, Harry finally thought. He caught sight of Neville shifting in his seat and decided it was time to talk.


“This was where I was last night,” Harry finally spoke, pointing at the cup. “I went to London to get this cup.”


“Why, what’s so special about the cup?” Neville asked.


“It’s not the cup so much as what the cup is,” Harry declared. He went on to explain about the Horcruxes, and the mission that Dumbledore had given him. He did not mention the prophecy. Harry watched as recognition revealed itself on Neville’s face. Luna, on the other hand looked to be just barely listening to the explanation.


“So, this cup has a bit of Voldemort in it. We have to destroy all the little bits before anyone can finally defeat him,” Harry finished.


“So that is what Dumbledore wanted us to help you with?” Neville questioned. “That night, with the will, he said he wanted us to help you get ready, to get ready for something really important. He said the mission he had sent you on was a secret mission and that you would tell us about it when you were ready, but that we should just help you get ready any way you wanted us to. So, he wanted us to help you destroy these Horcrux things?”


“I suppose so, Neville,” Harry answered. “I didn’t hear that part of the will.”


Neville was silent for a moment. Harry was glad he had not asked the next logical question: Why had Harry not let them go with him if that was what they were training to do?


“So how many of these things are there?” Neville inquired.


“It’s hard to say. Dumbledore believed there were seven in total. Six in objects and the one that is still in Voldemort,” Harry replied. He noticed with some satisfaction that no one at the table shuddered at the name anymore. “This cup is one, and Voldemort’s pet snake was one, but Ron and I took care of that,” Harry commented with a smile. He noticed Ron’s chest swell with pride, even as his ears turned slightly pink.


“Dumbledore destroyed a ring that belonged to Salazar Slytherin last year before he died, and there was a diary that I destroyed in the Chamber of Secrets in second year.” Harry saw Ginny shiver and knew she was remembering that horrible time in her first year.


“There is a locket, which also belonged to Slytherin, but we didn’t find it in the cave last year. We found a fake, and a note. That just leaves one last Horcrux and then Voldemort himself.”


“What if Dumbledore is wrong?” Luna commented. Everyone just stared at her. “How do we know there are only seven?”


“Dumbledore based that on a memory of Tom before he became Voldemort,” Hermione explained, seemingly annoyed. Harry had shown her and Ron all the memories when they were at Grimmauld Place during the summer.


“But why seven? Why not ten or something?” Neville put in.


“Two reasons,” Hermione answered. “First, every time you make a Horcrux it splits your soul. I imagine you can only do that so many times before you just stop existing. Secondly, seven is a very important number in Wizarding numerology. Voldemort would want the most powerful number for the number of Horcruxes he would want to create.”


This explanation seemed to satisfy Luna, who once again took on her normal dreamy expression. Harry knew it was a ruse. He had spent a lot of time with Luna during his training. He’d found out that her mind worked almost as quickly as Hermione’s but that she tended to think in a different way than others did. The dreamy expression was”at least in part”there to get people to think she wasn’t really paying attention.


“We still don’t know how to destroy the things,” Ron piped up. “Hermione, what do you think?”


Hermione sat there for a few minutes thinking. Harry raised the walls in his mind and focused on the cup, trying to raise the answer in his head. He could hear Hermione begin speaking again.


“A potion might work, something to dissolve the gold, but I’m not sure. When Harry destroyed the diary he poisoned it with the fang of the Basilisk.” Hermione shuddered. “Professor Dumbledore didn’t explain how he destroyed the ring, and the snake, well, you and Harry just killed it.”


Harry looked at Hermione. “I thought you had an idea about how to destroy the things.”


“I did, but I don’t know how to do the spell. I found a spell in one of Professor Dumbledore’s old books. The incantation is Singulus Substantia, but I can’t figure out how to cast the spell,” Hermione explained.


“How would you even practice that spell though?” Ron interjected. “You don’t have any Horcruxes lying around to practice on do you?”


“Of course not, Ron, but”I couldn’t even”well I tried it, but nothing ever happened. I just assumed I was doing something wrong.”


“Hermione, focus on the wand movements and the incantation. I want to try something,” Harry stated. He focused on Hermione again.


Singulus Substantia,” he heard her exclaim. He saw an image of gold light flash but then dissipate quickly. He opened his eyes and noticed Hermione grinning slightly but shaking her head.


“It didn’t work, did it?” Harry asked, feeling excited.


“No, but this time I did get a flash of gold and the cup moved. I think we may have the right spell,” Hermione announced.


“We do, Hermione. It is not a question of your doing right or not. I think it is a question of power.” The others looked at him, confused. “Okay, I’ll explain. Hermione is brilliant right?” Everyone nodded and Hermione blushed. “She had the brains to figure out how to do this, but I don’t think she has the magical power to do it.” Ron seemed like he was about to protest and defend the magical strength of his girlfriend.


Harry cut him off. “Ron, that isn’t an insult, but she just isn’t as strong as you or I are.”


“That makes sense,” Hermione interjected. Harry was relieved that she hadn’t been insulted. “I can do most of the spells in Defense Against the Dark Arts, but they are never as powerful as yours or Harry’s.”


“Right…so, Ron, give it a try.” Ron nodded


Harry focused his mind on Ron and again saw a flash of gold, stronger this time, but it still faded. Harry looked at Ron and saw he seemed very disgruntled. The cup was lying on its side but no other damage had been done.


“It’s all right, Ron, I don’t really think any of us, by ourselves, could destroy this thing,” Harry explained. “So here is what I want us to do. Everyone step behind me. Concentrate on the cup and destroying the Horcrux. I’ll try it.”


Harry focused on the Horcrux sitting in front of him. He allowed the image of each of his friends to enter his mind and felt their strengths enter his head.


Singulus Substantia! he shouted. The gold light erupted from his wand and encased the cup in a golden sphere. Bright white light began to erupt from the cup as large lightning-shaped cracks formed along the sides. The walls of the Room of Requirement shook and it seemed to Harry like a rushing wind began to blow.


The cup exploded, in the sphere, in a burst of white brilliance. The light faded and the golden sphere dissipated. The cup fell with a clatter back onto the table. It had broken into several pieces.


Harry was panting by the end of the spell. He dropped to his knees and his formerly burned arm ached. Ron and Neville quickly picked him up and helped him to a chair.


“It worked,” he croaked with a weary grin. “I think we went a bit overboard with it though”the ring only cracked when Dumbledore destroyed it. We broke the cup into pieces.”


The group took their respective seats around the table, staring at the remains of Hufflepuff’s cup.


“Harry, how did you know?” Ginny broke the silence.


“I don’t understand it all, but Abe told me that I have a connection to you all. Something that allows your various strengths to help me,” Harry explained. “That’s why when we duel, we fight so well together. I guess you are all helping me and I am helping you. We are strengthening each other.”


“So you do need our help,” Ginny stated with a glare.


“Ginny, I never said…,” Harry started, not wanting another argument. “Yeah, I suppose I do.”


“Well why don’t you ask for it then?” Ginny huffed. Harry could see the hurt in her eyes at not being allowed to come with him the night before. His heart gave a lurch, as if fighting with itself. He knew he needed them, especially at the end, but that would mean all of them facing Voldemort, and he didn’t even know how they would win that fight. He was torn from his musings when Neville spoke up.


“Hey, it is almost time for lunch,” Neville interjected. “I missed breakfast this morning. Let’s go eat.”


They left the Room of Requirement and started down to the first floor. They were met by a large group of Hufflepuffs, all of whom seemed to be in very high spirits.


“We won,” shouted a sixth-year girl as she caught sight of the group walking down the stairs.


“What was the final score?” Ron asked, seemingly much more interested anyone else.


“230 to 190!” exclaimed a third year. “Ernie got the snitch just before Zabini.”


The doors burst open and several more Hufflepuffs entered the castle, Ernie Macmillan being carried on the shoulders of five of his house mates. Harry watched as they let him down. Ernie made straight for Ginny who was heading for the door to the Great Hall.


“Ginny, a word, if you don’t mind?” Ernie shouted.


Harry watched her turn and walk slowly towards him. His shoulders slumped a bit as he walked into the Great Hall for lunch. He, Ron, Hermione, and Neville wandered past the other house tables and sat at the Gryffindor table.


The conversation during lunch was light for most of the Gryffindors and rambled from subject to subject. Hermione’s fainting spell was brought up as several people came to see how she was doing. There was a rumor going around that the next issue of the Quibbler was going to have photos of a black bear roaming the streets of London, but no one seemed to give it much notice. There had been another Death Eater attack, this time in Greenwich, which was discussed quickly, but most didn’t want to dwell on negative things. The following week’s match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw was also much discussed.


Finally Harry got up to leave, his heart still heavy since Ginny and Ernie had never made into the Great Hall. He turned to Hermione and Ron, who were discussing going for a walk. “Would you two come with me to my next Occlumency lesson?” Harry asked, trying to sound more cheerful than he felt.


“Of course,” Hermione answered. “Why?”


“I want to talk with Abe about the connections we have. I think there is more to it than what he is telling me,” Harry explained.


“What makes you say that?” Ron asked.


“Just a feeling. See you guys later, have fun on your walk.” Harry turned to go.


He went to the library. Just before he entered, he noticed Ernie and Ginny leaving an empty classroom. His beast snarled as he flung the door open and went to study. It’s your own fault, Potter. You pushed her away, he thought as he sat down and spent the rest of his Saturday working on various homework assignments.
++++++++


It was Wednesday before Harry, Ron and Hermione could meet together with Abe Dumbledore. They all had a free period that afternoon. The trio arrived at the Room of Requirement a few minutes early and found Abe talking to Charlie Weasley.


“Hi, you lot,” Charlie called merrily. “Haven’t seen any of you much this term.”


Harry and Hermione shifted uncomfortably. They hadn’t made it down to see Hagrid or Charlie during the year.


“Well I grew up with you, so I think I have seen enough of you,” Ron chided back at Charlie, his smirk showing the joking intent of his words. “So what are you doing here anyway…don’t you have fertilizer to shovel or something?”


“Ron, be nice!” Hermione scolded. “Charlie, it is nice to see you. Sorry we haven’t been down, how are you, and Hagrid?”


“Oh, fine”he shovels most of the fertilizer.” Charlie smiled back at Hermione and then shot a mock glare Ron. “He wanted me to tell you all that he’s coming to the Quidditch match Saturday if he is not…away.”


Harry knew that meant Hagrid may be going on a mission for the Order this week. His stomach twisted thinking of his friend being in danger.


“All right, now that the pleasantries are over, why don’t you tell me why you wanted to see me today with Ron and Hermione,” Abe cut in.


“Well, um, Abe, I wanted to ask about the connections.”


The “Dumbledore Twinkle””for that was now what Harry called it”danced in Abe’s eyes. “So, you have figured out how much help your friends can actually provide for you then.”


“Yeah, they helped me with a … a spell the other day. It was like I could feel their magic flowing through me,” Harry tried to explain. He was not entirely sure he was making sense. He noted the look of bewilderment on Charlie’s face and did not see this as a good sign.


“Harry, that is pretty much what happened. When you are connected, mentally, with your friends, when you focus on them through Occlumency, their strength becomes yours. Their love for you strengthens you and makes you much more powerful. Your love for them makes the connection stronger and intensifies the bond you share.”


“A power the Dark Lord knows not,” Harry muttered to himself.


“What was that?” Abe questioned. Harry was startled that he had said that out loud.


“Nothing, just talking to myself,” Harry answered quickly.


Abe gave a knowing grin but left it at that.


Ron’s brow was furrowed in thought. “So if Harry were to duel with someone while he was connected with us, then we could strengthen him and help him fight?” Ron asked very slowly, trying to put the pieces together.


“Yes, Ron, that would be the case, but remember that Harry is not the only one with this capability. Voldemort also has this power”he too has connections, and to far more people,” Abe responded. Harry thought the twinkle in his eyes grew as Ron was speaking.


Harry looked over at Charlie and saw a very confused look on the older Weasley. There was really nothing to be done about it. Charlie did not know what the prophecy was and Harry was beginning to wonder why he was even here.


“So Voldemort has the ability to connect with people too?” Ron exclaimed.


“Harry has to fight You-Know-Who?” Charlie coughed out. Harry, Ron, and Hermione rolled their eyes at the fact that Charlie didn’t use the real name.


“Yes, Charlie, it seems that Voldemort wants Harry dead, so he will probably have to face him,” Hermione explained, providing information without compromising the truth about the prophecy.


“But Voldemort doesn’t love anyone, does he?” Harry asked, frustration starting to creep into his mind. He thought they had found the way to defeat the Dark Lord.


“No, Harry, Voldemort doesn’t love anyone, except himself. He feeds off of their fear. Fear and love are two very powerful emotions, as you well know. Fear can make you do things that seem impossible. Fear can drive you to greater lengths than you dreamed possible. It is the fear that the Death Eaters have for Voldemort that gives him his greatest strength.”


“So I don’t have a greater power than he has. I only have five connections…he must have a hundred or more,” Harry stated dejectedly.


“Not exactly, Harry. Remember I said that both fear and love are powerful emotions. By far love is the greater of the two. Fear makes you do things you did not think possible. Love allows you to willingly do things that you do not believe are possible. Love allows people to give of themselves freely. Out of fear one may sacrifice himself, but out of love one will freely give himself up, as you have seen on numerous occasions. If you break the connections that Voldemort has with his Death Eaters, break his mind, and he will be utterly alone and not nearly as powerful as he seems,” Dumbledore explained.


“So how does Harry break his connection?” Hermione queried.


“Harry, tell me about the dream you had the night you forgot to practice your Occlumency,” Abe said.


Harry was caught off guard by this request. “Oh, well, I”I was on the Quidditch pitch,” he started. He hadn’t told the details of the dream to anyone since having it. “I saw Voldemort”I was standing directly in front of him. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna and Neville were all with me and he just started killing them. He showed me the people that he had killed”the ones who have died because of me”and then he started killing my friends.”


Harry was visibly shaken at the memory. Ron placed a bracing hand on his shoulder. Hermione seemed on the verge of tears.


“What happened when you woke up?” Abe questioned.


Harry shook his head. “I don’t remember much until I got to the common room. McGonagall was taking me to the hospital wing and I just came to.”


Ron turned to Harry. “You lost it, mate. You were crying and tucked into a ball. No one was able to get you to respond. You just kept shaking and muttering about how you killed them. Then all of sudden you snapped out of it.”


“It wasn’t all of a sudden,” Hermione proclaimed. “It was Ginny…when you looked at Ginny, you started to calm down. I didn’t really think about it, but she must have somehow calmed you down.” Hermione had that look in her eye that she always got when she figured out a particularly hard puzzle.


“It was her love, her ability to provide a safe and peaceful place for your mind, Harry, that probably saved you from a lifetime of insanity,” Abe declared.


“How do you mean?” Harry asked, surprised by the barman’s bluntness.


“Your mind probably reached out to her because of the exceptionally strong feelings you have for her. She provides comfort for you that none of your other friends provide, correct?” Harry nodded shyly.


“Voldemort, I believe, knows that you have gotten better at Occlumency so he knows that he may have a stronger opponent than he once thought. He was trying something that night, although I don’t know what. When he got in, however, he discovered the connections you had made with your friends. He tried to use that information to break your mind, to drive you insane so that you would no longer be a threat to him.”


“So why didn’t it work?” Hermione questioned. “Voldemort is a stronger Legilimens than Harry, so why didn’t Harry go insane?” He shuddered.


“Once again, Voldemort did not count on the love of Harry’s friends. He underestimated it in the Ministry, in the Potter’s house, and he did that night. He attacked Harry but failed because he simply doesn’t understand the power that love has to offer.”


“This is perfectly interesting but how does it help Harry destroy Voldemort?” Ron exclaimed.


“It makes sense now”Harry can do the same thing to Voldemort,” Hermione announced. “He can break the connections with his followers by using his mind, but how? Voldemort won’t care if his followers are killed. What sort of weapon can we use?”


“We use the love we all share,” Harry piped up. “I don’t attack him with images of hate or fear. I attack with images of hope, peace and love”things that he has never experienced and cannot possibly understand.”


“Then, once he is alone, and the connections are gone, then we can destroy him,” Ron finished Harry’s thought.


Harry was truly excited. “How?”


“That is where Charlie comes in.” The room was silent and all the occupants stared at Dumbledore, confused. “Harry, it is time for you to learn Legilimency. It will not be terribly difficult now that you know the basics. In fact, you have been doing it to a degree with your friends anyway.”


“What am I supposed to do, Abe?” Charlie questioned. He had been remarkably quiet during the entire meeting. Harry presumed that Charlie, unlike some of his younger brothers, spent more time listening than flying off the handle or reacting.


“Charlie, you are going to be a test subject.” Abe motioned him to a chair that had materialized in the center of the room. “Harry will not harm you in the least.”


Charlie sat in the chair. Harry sat across from him, with Ron and Hermione standing behind him.


“Okay, Harry, look directly into Charlie’s eyes and as you do so, I want you to think of the happiest moments of your life”the sort of things that you would think of while casting a Patronus. Then once you have, I want you to project them into Charlie’s mind. Charlie, since I am assuming you are capable of love and actually have loved at some point, this should not hurt you. In fact it may be quite pleasant.”


Harry and Charlie both swallowed hard, attempting to calm themselves. Harry closed his eyes for a few moments. He thought of flying and winning the Quidditch cup; those were safe thoughts that had nothing to do with Ginny. The thought of projecting something about her into her older brother’s mind made him very nervous indeed.

He opened his eyes and stared into the wide blue eyes of Charlie Weasley. “Legilimens,” he almost whispered pointing his wand at him.


He watched as Charlie’s face briefly took on a pained expression as if someone was trying to pry his hand away from something. Then as quickly as it appeared it vanished and was replaced by a look that Harry could only believe was euphoria. Charlie’s eyes widened as a large smile broke out on his face. He began to laugh a bit and squirm in his chair.


Finally, after about a minute, Harry broke the connection. He collapsed back into his chair, breathing heavily, exhaustion washing over him. Charlie had also collapsed into his chair, the smile having faded.


“Harry, that was really incredible. I could see you flying, but it was both of us, and I could feel the joy you have when you fly. Wow, that was just amazing!” Charlie exclaimed.


“Okay, is this creeping anyone else out?” Ron muttered. Hermione smacked him on the arm.


“Very good, Harry. That was better than I expected. I wanted it to be someone you didn’t have a connection with because that would make it more difficult to enter his mind. Voldemort will surely figure out what you are doing and try to push you out and enter your mind instead. You will need to build up your stamina if you are going to defeat him.”


“He isn’t going to be practicing on me anymore, is he? It was a little creepy,” Charlie remarked. “No offense, Harry.”


“No, we can find others that are willing to be practice partners for him,” Abe commented. “Oh, look at the time…if I don’t get back to the Hog’s Head, my wife will boil me in my own pudding.”
+++++++


A/N: Now things should be getting clearer. I truly hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thanks as always to my pre-betas cablebuysmom and Kerrbear. A huge thanks needs to go out to my beta JenC for helping make this chapter clearer and easier to understand. Thanks also to all of you who have been reviewing this story. Your reviews truly help me when I am fighting writer’s block or fatigue from watching my new daughter. Thanks for your thoughts and keep up the wonderful reviews.


Singulus Substania Roughly means Separate Substance.


Coming next, Quidditch and a message from a long lost character. Enjoy!




It's Quidditch! by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse!
++++++


Saturday morning dawned bright and crisp. The November weather had turned cold and dreary, but this day was going to be gorgeous. It was cold, but wonderfully sunny. The weather seemed to match Harry’s mood. He, while feeling that his newfound ability was certainly a bit creepy, was also thrilled that he now had a tangible weapon to fight with. He had had two more lessons”one with Remus, and one with Tonks”both of which were creepy, but he was getting stronger and he felt great.


He rose from bed thinking things could not be much better. He had seen Ernie talking on several occasions with Hannah Abbott and thought perhaps he had had a change of heart about Ginny. Ron and Hermione were in great spirits. They only “play argued” now, over things like art and music and even philosophy, which came as a huge surprise to Harry. Who would have believed Ron was into philosophy? he thought.


The first Gryffindor match of the season was today and although he was not going to be playing, he didn’t allow it to dampen his mood any. He could at least be supportive of his friends and he would get to watch some good Quidditch.


He quietly got dressed and walked down to the common room. He had not slept out there since the meeting with Dumbledore on Wednesday. He had stayed up to visit with his cat for a few minutes the first couple of nights, but Friday it did not make an appearance. He thought the cat must have found a new warm body to cuddle with, so he went up to bed and slept well.


He sat by the fire that was blazing in the hearth. No one else was up yet so he just sat there and relaxed. He had almost fallen asleep again when he heard a faint tapping on the window. He walked over and saw an owl he did not recognize. He opened the window and the owl perched itself just inside. It stuck out its leg and Harry removed a small letter. After the owl flew off, he looked at letter for a long while without opening it. It was in a handwriting he did not recognize. The script was very messy, worse even than Hagrid’s, and Harry had no idea who it was from.


Finally, after debating with himself about it for several minutes, he decided to open the letter, thinking if it was another Portkey it would have activated by now anyway. He tore the envelope and removed a small note.


Harry,
I don’t have much time. I have been under the Dark Lord’s control for I don’t know how long. I vaguely remember something happening at the Ministry but can’t remember details. I must have been under the Imperious Curse. I have broken free from it but am unable to escape at this time. I have been able to figure a way to send an owl, though, so I can send you information about the Dark Lord’s activities.

I know that you don’t trust me, but I need you to believe this. I can provide some useful information. There is going to be an attack on the Muggle Prime Minister within the next two weeks. Let whoever is in charge of the Order know but don’t mention me. There may be a spy in the Order working for the Death Eaters. They seem to know a lot of what the Order is doing.

I’m sorry for my attitude towards you and the rest of my family. I have been so wrong!

I will write again when I have more information. If something happens to me, tell my family I love them.

Sincerely, Percy.




Harry reread the note three times. He couldn’t believe what he was reading. Is this really from Percy? Could he have been under the Imperious Curse that day in the Ministry? If so, was the information reliable? His head swam with possibilities and doubts. Harry thought back to seeing Mr. Crouch and how his trying to break the Imperious Curse had affected him. Could that explain the handwriting? Harry wondered.


“Morning, Harry,” Ginny called brightly from the stairs. Harry quickly stuffed the note into his pocket.


“Morning, Ginny, did you sleep well?” Harry inquired.


“Not really,” she remarked, stepping off the last step. Harry noticed she looked very tired and a bit ill.


“Ginny, you look a little green,” he remarked. “You okay?”


“Thanks, Harry, you certainly have a way with women.” Ginny playfully punched his arm, a bit harder than seemed necessary.


“Sorry, just concerned,” he responded, rubbing his arm where she had hit him.


“Ooh, sorry, didn’t mean to get you that hard.” Ginny’s ears turned pink. “So why are you up so early?”


“Couldn’t sleep”I had a lot on my mind,” Harry replied. “You?”


“Isn’t it obvious”it’s Quidditch. I never sleep well on match days.” Ginny seemed annoyed that Harry didn’t realize her distress.


“You’ll be great, Ginny. Nothing to worry about,” Harry encouraged her.


“Easy for you to say,” she retorted with a little grin.


“Say, Ginny, do you know of any first-year girls who brought a cat as a pet?” Harry questioned, changing the subject. Ginny seemed to sit up a little straighter at this point.


“Why do you ask?” she questioned.


“Oh, no reason.” Harry began to brush the subject off but decided he wanted to talk with Ginny about it, although he didn’t know why. “Actually, since the night of the dream a couple months ago I have been staying down here at night a lot.”


“I know,” Ginny responded.


“Oh, right, you knew that. Anyway, this cat started coming down here in the middle of the night and sitting with me. I have yet to find out whose cat it is so I was just curious about it.” Harry continued, “So you haven’t seen an orange cat lately or know a first year who owns one, do you?”


“Actually, I did see Natalie McDonald with a cat at the start of term, but she’s a third year,” Ginny declared. “I think it was orange though.”


“Oh, that must be it then. Do you know her at all?” Harry asked.


“A little, she pretty much hangs out with girls in her year. Why?”


“Well, I just don’t know her at all and I was wondering if you would tell her thanks for the cat for me,” Harry replied shyly.


“Harry, ordinarily, I would tell you to do it yourself but since it is a special occasion, you asking for help and all, and I know that all the third-year girls are in love with you, I’ll tell her. Don’t want any of them getting their hopes up because,” she cleared her throat, “‘Mr. Potter’ talked to them.” Ginny grinned mischievously.


Harry blushed bright pink. “Thanks, Ginny. So you think it’s too early to go to breakfast?”


“No, but I need to get changed, so…Wait for me?” she inquired, getting up from her chair.


“Yeah, I’ll get Ron. He never eats on Quidditch match days, but he can watch while we eat at least.”


They both went up their respective dorm stairs. Harry entered the room quietly, grabbed a piece of parchment and quill, and stuffed the letter from Percy into the back of his Charms book. “Ron, time to get up, mate,” Harry announced once the note was hidden and he was back at the door. Ron stirred for a second and bolted upright.


“It’s Quidditch,” he spoke and immediately turned a deeper shade of green than Ginny had been earlier.


“Yes, it’s Quidditch”get up so we can go to breakfast,” Harry answered, then walked out of the room, sure that Ron would be down shortly.


Harry sat at the table and scribbled a quick note explaining that he had information about a possible attack on the Muggle Prime Minister. He didn’t reveal his source and he prayed no one would press him on it. He thought that the information would be wrong anyway and nothing would come of it. He wondered for a second about the best way to get the note to Professor McGonagall. Finally he touched on a solution.


“Dobby?” Harry whispered.


.Crack. Dobby appeared before him. “Oh, Harry Potter sir is all right. Dobby was so scared when he found Harry Potter lying on the ground at the front gate. Dobby took Harry Potter directly to the hospital wing like a good house-elf so that Harry Potter could be made well.”


“Great, Dobby, thanks for finding”how did you find me?” Harry inquired, narrowing his eyebrows and staring at the little house-elf.


Dobby seemed nervous under Harry’s gaze. “Well, sir, Dobby…erm…likes to take walks during the night to clear his head and get some fresh air.” He shuffled his feet back and forth. “Sir wanted Dobby?”


Harry was not entirely sure he believed him, but also knew that Dobby had never outright lied to him, so he let the question rest and moved on to more pressing matters. “Yes, Dobby, I need you to take this note to the Headmistress.” Harry handed the note to him.


“Is sir wanting a reply?”


“No, Dobby, just see that this note is delivered as soon as possible.”


“Yes, sir.”

Crack. Dobby was gone. Harry sat back in his chair, glad that he had done all he could with Percy’s letter. Now he had to just wait and see what happened. He decided to file Dobby’s nightly stroll away for further discussion but he didn’t want to dwell on it at the moment. It’s Quidditch, after all.
++++++


The Great Hall was a festive place this Saturday morning. The house ghosts were present for the first time all year. Harry hadn’t even realized they had not been around until he saw them there.


“Sir Nicholas, where have you all been?” Neville asked as Harry sat down with Ginny, Ron and Hermione.


“Oh, that is a sad affair. We house ghosts decided to honor the Headmaster by standing watch over his tomb, so we have been there these past months. The Baron decided today would be the last day, so here we are,” Sir Nicholas declared. “Even Peeves was there, and he even behaved himself.”


The conversation soon turned to who was going to win the Quidditch match. Gryffindor was the favorite, although there was speculation that they would be in trouble since they’d lost Harry as Seeker and Ginny”who was taking his place”as Chaser. The consensus, however, was that this would not be a problem against Ravenclaw, whose team had been decimated because so many of their players had not been allowed to return to school.


Around a quarter past eight, the owl post arrived. Harry didn’t even bother to notice anymore, since he never received mail.


A small barn owl winged its way in with a new copy of the Daily Prophet, and landed directly in Hermione’s bowl of porridge. “That silly owl gets my breakfast every time,” she fumed as she put five Knuts into the owl’s little sack. “All the other ones manage to land someplace safe, but that one”always right into the bowl.”


Ron was blowing bubbles into his orange juice, trying not to laugh, as Harry quickly turned to talk to Neville. Ginny giggled as she went back to her own bowl.


After a couple of minutes, Ron called the rest of the Gryffindor team up, to get to the field. He leaned down and gave Hermione a quick kiss and left. Harry was slightly embarrassed over the display of affection but had to admit it could have been a lot worse. His thoughts wandered to when Ron and Lavender were together. It could have been much, much worse.


“Harry, did you see this?” Hermione whispered, holding the Daily Prophet out to him.


“Of course not, Hermione, you are the only one who reads the Prophet,” Harry responded, taking the paper. He found the article on the bottom of the front page.


ENGLAND’S NEW QUIDDITCH COACH TO VISIT
HOGWARTS MATCH


Quinton White, the new manager of the England National Quidditch team, will be attending a match today at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The speculation is that he is scouting new talent for the upcoming World Cup Tournament to take place next year. Harry Potter”the Chosen One, as some have referred to him”will not be participating on his house team this year, according to sources close to the school. This begs the question: are there other talented students at Hogwarts who have been overshadowed by the Boy Who Lived, and only now are going to be discovered? Who is Coach White looking to find?
Story continued on page 6.



Harry folded the paper and handed it back to Hermione. He had mixed feelings about the whole thing. He was glad that someone from the school was being scouted by the English National Team, although skeptical about the chances of anyone making the team at such a young age. He was also bothered that in a story only vaguely related to Hogwarts, the paper still managed to get him into the middle of it.


“So, what do you think about Mr. White being here?” Hermione questioned, her excitement evident.


“Who, the new coach? I don’t know, I guess it’s interesting. Why does that name sound familiar?” Harry remarked, more to himself than to Hermione.


“That is the father of the girl we met at Bill and Fleur’s wedding. He’s the one from America,” Hermione explained, nearly bouncing off her seat with joy.


Harry noted that Hermione looked like she was about to burst so he gave in and asked, “Hermione, what has got you so wound up?”


“Oh, Harry, it’s incredible, but I didn’t want to say anything while Ron was here.” She leaned over towards him so that no one else could hear. “It just that, well, Jenny and I”that’s Mr. White’s daughter”have been Owling each other some during the school year. She wants to know about England, and the States are just fascinating.” Harry rolled his eyes. “Oh, yeah, sorry, well she Owled me a week ago and said her dad had been named the Quidditch coach for England and he was going to try and catch the game this week to scout Ron.” She was beaming by this time and Harry was somewhat concerned that her face was going to split in two.


Harry found himself extremely pleased that Ron was being noticed for his accomplishments on the Quidditch Pitch, even if he was a little jealous that he was not the one being scouted. “Hermione, that’s great news. It’s a good thing you didn’t tell Ron, though”he would have played terribly today if he knew someone was scouting him.”
++++++


Harry and Hermione made their way down to the Gryffindor section to watch the match. They were both wrapped in thick wool cloaks to hold off the chill. The teams were announced and Harry watched, sadness mixed with pride, as his best friend stepped out to shake the Ravenclaw captain’s hand.


He quickly scanned the stands and recognized, sitting in the professors box, the middle-aged wizard he’d spoken with at the wedding a few months before. He had short cropped hair and a thick goatee, and he wore red and pewter robes. Omnioculars were draped around his neck as he watched the action intently once the match began.


“A wonderful save by Weasley,” the announcer commented.


Harry went back to the match. He noticed that the Ravenclaw Seeker, a little third-year boy, was simply marking Ginny as she circled the pitch. He knew that this kid was no match for her, even with the old broom she was using.


“ROBBINS SCORES!!!”


Harry didn’t recognize the boy doing the announcing but decided he was certainly better than Luna had been.


An hour later, the match continued at a relentless pace. Harry could see that Ginny had spotted the Snitch on at least one occasion, but was unable to reach it before it dashed out of view. He had seen it on two other occasions and was feeling frustrated with himself and the situation. He could have gotten the Snitch, with the scout there, and Ginny could have been playing her normal Chaser position, with the scout there.


Ron, however, was having a splendid day. He had only allowed two goals: one on a penalty shot, the other on a turnover very close to the Gryffindor side of the pitch. He made a valiant effort on that one, but just didn’t have time to react. The rest of the day Ron was perfect.


The score was 170 to 20 and the action was growing intense. Harry saw that the Ravenclaw team raised the level of defense since they knew that one more goal would allow them to catch the Snitch and still lose. The Bludgers were rocketing to and fro over the pitch.


Harry watched the action with great interest. Ron was still a stone wall in goal, making save after save. “Weasley is our King,” chorused through the stands with every save. The Gryffindor Chasers were being pummeled with each possession of the Quaffle. Ginny and the Ravenclaw Seeker continued to search for the Snitch.


Finally, Ginny made a move. She dove towards the ground, angling at the first row of the stands, just left of the Ravenclaw goals. Harry saw the flash of gold fluttering there and thought Ginny had a very good chance of getting the Snitch. She was well ahead of the Ravenclaw Seeker and the Snitch had very little room to maneuver. Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw a Bludger screaming at her. It was directly behind her and she could never have seen it.


Harry’s pulse quickened as he watched the Bludger close in on Ginny. “DUCK!” Harry shouted in his mind just before he shouted it with his voice. Ginny slid off to the right of her broom and dropped her head low just as the Bludger flew past her and crashed into the ground. She reached out and grabbed the Snitch and pulled up just before colliding with the spectators in the first row. The crowed erupted in cheers and applause and Harry distinctly heard someone mutter something about a new song titled, “Weasley is our Queen.”


Harry looked up at Coach White”he seemed to be watching something in his Omnioculars. He had a broad grin on his face and simply shook his head.


The team raced down to meet Ginny, who, Harry had just noticed, was looking straight at him with a bewildered look in her eyes. Nice job, Ginny, Harry thought. He watched as the bewilderment changed to glee as she was then engulfed by her teammates. The celebration was in full swing on the pitch and the Gryffindor section was quickly emptying. Harry got up to leave but was blocked by a slightly overweight man in red and pewter robes.


“What did you think of the match, Mr. Potter?” Mr. White questioned.


“Great win, I thought Ron did really well too,” Harry commented. He wanted to get down to the celebration but he also wanted to see just what England’s new coach thought of his friend.

“Yes he did. I was particularly impressed on Ravenclaw’s second goal.” Harry blinked in confusion. “That would have been a tough save for anyone, but Weasley almost got it. World Class effort, if you catch my meaning,” Mr. White continued.


Harry broke into a large smile and was pleased to note that he did not have the jealous feelings he’d had before the match. He was tremendously proud of his friend.


“Harry, tell me what you think of England’s chances next year,” Mr. White inquired as they both moved towards the exit. By this time the team had gone to the locker room and the crowd was starting to move towards the school.


“Well, in the last World Cup they didn’t do very well. I guess that is why they hired you, right?”


Mr. White grinned. “They hired me because I was one of the few who would take the job. Most of the Quidditch coaches who take over for England end up not being wanted much anywhere else.” A rueful grin played at his lips.


“So why did you take the job then? Didn’t you like coaching in the States?”


“Oh yeah, but they have a coach in place, and I’ve always liked a challenge. The English Quidditch team has a great history but it’s been close to 200 years since they had a good team. I am hoping to change that.


“It won’t be easy, but like I say, if you are going to plow in concrete, don’t expect it be easy.” Mr. White smiled. “That’s where some of the young talent here comes in. I want to get a young team together, one that may take its lumps for a while, but can work together for several years and develop into a World Class unit and lay the foundation for a World Class program again. I was sorry to hear that you had given up Quidditch.”


“Yeah, I had some more important things to do this year.” They had reached the front entrance to the castle.


“Things more important than Quidditch. That’s refreshing to hear from a seventeen year old. I suppose there are, but if you get those things taken care of, let me know. I would love to see you play again.” Mr. White turned to go. Harry watched as he walked down the path, through the gates, and Apparated away. He smiled, thinking again of Ron possibly getting a tryout for the national team. He saw the Gryffindor team approaching, along with Fred and George, carrying a number of bags with them. This is going to be a nice victory party. Hermione’s going to have a cat.
+++++


The victory party was indeed a grand affair. The twins had attempted to smuggle in firewhisky, but Hermione flatly refused. No one seemed to mind, though, once all the food”provided by Dobby”was laid out. Hermione was about to object to this as well, but Fred and George cut her off by forcing five Galleons into Dobby’s pocket.


The stories of the victory went back and forth, everyone enjoying the retelling of this bit or that. Ginny’s near-miraculous move to avoid the Bludger was the topic of much talk and speculation.


“Harry himself wouldn’t have avoided that thing,” Dean shouted, the admiration clearly heard in his voice.


“Yeah, Harry would have let it hit him and then tried to swallow the Snitch again,” retorted Seamus.


The party wound down and the twins finally left, leaving an ample supply of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes catalogs in the common room. Ron and Hermione were nowhere to be seen, and Harry assumed they were off “discussing the match”. Neville and Parvati Patil were sitting on the couch discussing something with great fervor. Harry was drinking a Butterbeer, getting ready to head up to bed after a long, but very good, day. Ginny sauntered over to him before he could move. She had that fierce look in her eyes again.


She had spent most of the evening being pulled around the room to discuss the last move she’d used to avoid the Bludger, and Harry hadn’t had a chance to talk with her at all. Now she walked purposefully over to him. His cheeks started to burn and his heart gave a little leap.


“Nice match today, Ginny,” Harry stuttered. Why in the world am I nervous all of sudden?


“Thanks, Harry, I wish it would have been you out there as Seeker”I would have loved to play Chaser against their Keeper today.” Ginny smiled. She stepped closer to Harry. “You know there isn’t and never was anything going on with Ernie, right?” She grinned again and sat down on the arm of Harry’s chair.


“Yeah, erm, no, I don’t know,” Harry stuttered again. Merlin, she smells good.


“Well, I think he wanted something to happen, but I told him the other day in the classroom you saw us leaving that I wasn’t interested. He took it pretty well,” Ginny explained.


“Oh, so you aren’t interested then? Good.” Has that line of freckles always been there just below her neck?


“Harry, today at the Quidditch match,” she started, “I think I heard you, inside my head.”


Harry was startled out his contemplation of her freckles. “Oh, really, sorry about that. I didn’t know I could even do that…erm, what did you hear?” Harry had gone pale, at the thought of intruding, unwanted, into the mind of his friend. Ginny knew about the connections he had with them all and he had told her about what Dumbledore had said about her helping him the night of the dream.


“Duck, and great job,” Ginny replied. She leaned closer and was just inches from his face.


Harry could now smell the Butterbeer on her breath, mixed with the fresh cut flowers scent. He could feel the burning of his cheeks and noticed that Ginny’s too were a shade or two pinker than normal.


The noise in the room seemed to die away and all Harry could see, hear, or acknowledge was Ginny sitting on the arm of his chair, leaning towards him, only inches from his face.


“And Harry,” she said in a husky voice, barely above a whisper, that caused his heart to skip a beat and his palms to go all sweaty. “I don’t mind you being inside my head.” She leaned even closer, and their noses brushed lightly. Harry’s breathing had stopped, the intoxicating presence of Ginny overwhelming him. “’Night,” she whispered, and slowly walked to the stairs up to the girls’ dorms.


It took Harry a couple of minutes to bring himself back under control. Wow! was all he could think as he sat by the fire watching it burn low. What a good day! He smiled, raised his walls, and relaxed, feeling as contented and happy as he had in months.
++++++


A/N Well there you have it, nothing going on with Ginny and Ernie. I hope all the Ginny/Harry shippers are feeling better. I also hope you enjoyed the Quidditch match. It was fun to write, although, since my wife, and my beta both don’t enjoy the Quidditch, they didn’t enjoy it as much. I loved it.


Major thanks to my pre betas, Kerrbear and Cableguysmom for helping push the story along. I can’t say how much help my beta JenC has been either. If not for her this story would be a wondrous tell, that never left my head. Thanks ladies our hard work means a great deal to me.


Coming next, Harry and Ron, both make some decisions, and Malfoy shows up at the castle for some holiday fun, sort of.
Home for the Holidays by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe.
++++++


November gave way to December, and the weather seemed to grow colder. The first of December was the first major snowfall of the year. It began in the early morning hours and by the time the school was awake, a thick blanket of puffy white powder was covering the grounds of Hogwarts. It was a beautiful, majestic sight when the dawn broke that morning, revealing the carpet of pure white. There were no footprints marring the pristine snow, and Harry thought it looked like an image from an oil painting.


Classes that morning seemed terribly long, since all the students yearned to get out into the fresh snow and release some pent-up energy. As the bell for break sounded, one could almost feel the excitement.…A snowball fight was about to break loose.


The first and second years were out the front door, seemingly, before the bell stopped ringing. Before long there were multiple battles being waged in all directions. A group of fourth-year boys had begun a fight with some third-year girls. The boys had miscalculated, however; they were sorely outnumbered, and quickly found themselves being attacked on three sides by angry young ladies.


From their favorite spot just outside the castle, Harry, Ron, and Hermione watched the battles rage. They had wandered out after their final class to see the festivities, all deciding they were far too old to take part in such pursuits. They didn’t notice Luna until she started speaking.


“Did you know that fifteen percent of all witches have to go blind two days a week from the time they are forty to the time they turn fifty-seven?” Luna questioned as she walked behind Harry, Ron and Hermione.


“What?” Hermione inquired. “Luna, what are you on about?” She rolled her eyes upon seeing the probable source for Luna’s question.


“It says so right here,” Luna stated, holding the newest edition of the Quibbler. She handed the magazine to Hermione, who quickly scanned the contents, rolled her eyes again, and handed it back to Luna.


“So nothing in there about some rampaging bear roaming the streets of London, is there?” Harry asked, remembering the rumors he had heard a few weeks before.


“No, nothing like that,” Luna responded. “Harry, you really should check your facts and make sure of your sources. It does no one any good to just run about spouting senseless rumors.” Luna turned to go. “Afternoon all, see you later.”


“That girl is truly the strangest person I have ever met,” Ron declared. “She’s nice enough, but she is off-the-wall strange.”


Hermione remained strangely quiet as they went back inside and started down the hall. They made their way up towards Gryffindor Tower and approached the portrait hole, but before they could give the password, Headmistress McGonagall walked briskly up to them. She had an unhappy expression on her face and her lips were pressed tightly together. “Mr. Potter, would you come to my office after your final class today, please.”


“Of course, Professor,” replied Harry.


“Thank you. Good afternoon, Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley.” They both nodded.
She then turned and started walking towards her office.


Harry was not surprised by her briskness, but looked grim all the same as they went through their afternoon classes. No one talked about the upcoming meeting, but it was obviously on everyone’s minds.


Finally, after a particularly difficult Potions class, it was time for Harry to go see McGonagall. “See you after dinner, I guess. Tell Ginny I’ll see her at training tonight.”


Harry quickly made his way to the stone gargoyle that blocked the entrance to McGonagall’s office. “Bumblebee,” Harry said quietly. McGonagall had been using that as the password for her office all year”a fact known only to the faculty, and Harry. He hadn’t been there since the night that Dumbledore died, and his stomach gave a lurch when he stepped onto the moving staircase.


Harry reached the top of the staircase and was greeted by what sounded like frantic orchestra music. He had heard his Aunt Petunia listening to chamber music and orchestras on the wireless when he was younger, but he had never heard anything that sounded this clear. It was as if there was an orchestra in the next room. He stood listening for several seconds, trying to recognize the tune. It was fast paced and didn’t seem to match the reserved demeanor of his headmistress. Finally, unable to figure out the music, he knocked on the door. The music abruptly stopped and the door swung open.


He entered the office and looked around. The walls were still covered by portraits of former Hogwarts headmasters. On the end, closest to McGonagall’s desk, was the now wide awake form of Professor Dumbledore. He smiled warmly at Harry but did not speak. Harry quickly looked away, feeling the telltale stinging in his eyes. He had not been ready to see that portrait, nor the man in it smiling at him. He walked to the other side of the office and continued to look around.


Many of the little instruments that Harry remembered from his past moments in this office were gone. It seemed an entire new set of bookshelves had been added, loaded down with books on all sorts of subjects, some written in different languages. Harry noticed the Sorting Hat, still sitting in its normal place along with the Gryffindor’s sword. He noticed the perch that Fawkes used to call home in the corner behind the desk, and vaguely wondered why McGonagall had not gotten rid of it.


Harry swallowed hard, his emotions starting to get the better of him. His eyes stung and he kept choking slightly as he breathed in. In an attempt to keep his emotions in check, he closed his mind and raised his mental walls. He reached out to Ginny, and felt her soothing presence is his mind. He began to relax, and the lump that had formed in his throat became less severe.


“Mr. Potter, I suppose you know why I have asked you here?” McGonagall remarked, motioning for him to take a seat in one of the squishy armchairs in front of the desk. “I was wondering if you would mind telling me where your information about the recent attacks came from?” She was still frowning.


“Professor, you know I can’t tell you that…at least not yet. It may jeopardize the source,” Harry responded, his frustration already beginning to mount.


The Tuesday after he’d received the note from Percy, the Muggle Prime Minister had been attacked, but thanks to the warning, Kingsley Shacklebolt had been prepared and the attack had failed. On two other occasions, Percy had sent Harry notes warning of attacks, one on the Ministry of Magic and another on St. Mungo’s; both attacks had been thwarted because of the information.


“Mr. Potter, I don’t see how telling me will jeopardize anything,” McGonagall exclaimed.


“It’s not that, Professor. The informant has asked repeatedly that no one know who he is. If you were to be captured, Voldemort could get it out of you,” Harry explained.


“I realize that, Mr. Potter, but if we know who it is, we may be able to help”to provide him some cover or something.”


Harry let out a long breath; he had already had this conversation with her before, after each failed attack. This was not like Scrimgeour pestering him for information that Dumbledore had given him. This was a woman, a leader, who wanted as much information as possible, for the well-being of all she cared about. It pained him to have to hold out on her, but he truly thought it was for her own good, and Percy’s. He had almost decided to trust Percy, and he certainly didn’t want to do anything that would put him at greater risk than he already was.


“Well, in that case, I guess we are finished here, Mr. Potter. Please tell me when you can, and if you receive any more information, let me know. I just want to help you,” McGonagall said kindly.


“I know, Professor, and as soon as it’s safe for you to know then I will tell you.” Harry offered a little smile and walked out of the office.
++++++


By eleven thirty that evening, Harry was the only one in the common room. He and Ginny had endured two hours of training right after dinner”two hours in which they had defeated Remus, Tonks, Charlie, and Bill on several occasions. The duels were exhausting affairs, however, so Ginny had turned in much earlier. Since Ron and Hermione had not had training, they’d been able to finish their homework, do a patrol, and even take an evening walk. They had gone to their respective dorms shortly before eleven.


Harry’s eyes were getting very heavy and his mind was beginning to wander, so he started to pack it in for the night. He could always finish his essay tomorrow. He was still managing to stay ahead of his work so he did not feel the same pressure as others in their N.E.W.T. year.


He closed his pack and slung it over his shoulder. At that moment he heard a tapping sound from the window and looked over to see the familiar owl that meant that he had more information from Percy. Harry quickly moved to the window and let the bird in. He removed the envelope, and the owl immediately took off out the window again.


Harry slowly opened the note.


Harry,


The Dark Lord is growing concerned that there is a spy here, so I may not be able to send you much more information. I have just found out that there is to be an attack on the Order of the Phoenix Headquarters during the Christmas holiday. I guess they think you will be there. I know that its location is supposed to be secret but they must know where it is. I don’t know how. You and the rest of my family can’t go there or you will all be killed. I think the Death Eaters are getting desperate to find a way to draw you out. None of you are safe.


I hope and pray that you will stay at Hogwarts during the holiday. Take care of my family, Harry. I am counting on you.

Percy



Harry read the note through two more times, digesting the information, then tore the parchment up and tossed it into the fire. He had to figure out a way to keep the Weasleys and himself safe, without letting them know that Headquarters was going to be attacked.


He sat for another couple of hours thinking through what he needed to do. Finally he thought he had something. He would take them all to Lion’s Watch and host Christmas at Lion’s Keep this year. It would take some time to sort out the details, but with a little help he could get everything worked out. He went to bed excited about being able to host Christmas at his home for the first time.
+++++++


The next morning Harry walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast later than usual. First thing that morning he had gone the Owlery to invite the Weasleys and the Grangers to Lion’s Watch for Christmas. He had decided that having everyone there, instead of at Hogwarts, made more sense. He would be better able to explain why, without arousing suspicion that he knew more than he was telling. He also thought that if Percy was still not being completely upfront, then having the families in a place that he did not expect was better than having them all at Hogwarts.


He stepped into the Great Hall, and was quickly accosted by Ron. “Harry, I need to talk to you.” Ron looked slightly panicked and this worried Harry.


“What is it, Ron?”


“Not here, let’s go somewhere more private.” Ron quickly led Harry into an unused classroom.


Harry was perplexed by his friend’s behavior. “Ron, isn’t it supposed to be Hermione you are dragging into empty classrooms?”


“What”oh, shut it, Harry.” Ron was still looking rather green. “I need your help.”


“With what?” Harry asked, seeing the distress that Ron was in.


“I need to talk with Hermione’s parents but I don’t know when or how. I’ve barely ever even met them,” Ron stated dejectedly.


“Why do you need to talk with her parents, Ron?” Harry questioned, not really sure where this conversation was going.


“I need to talk to them”well, at least her dad”about, you know, the future,” Ron replied.


“Whose future?” Harry’s asked, still unsure what exactly was going on.


“My future, or I mean our future.” Ron was turning redder by the second.


“You want to be a dentist or something?”


“HARRY!


Understanding dawned on Harry’s face and he smiled brightly. “You mean you want to talk to them about your future with Hermione.”


“Yes, well, that’s it. I just don’t know how,” Ron grumbled.


“Perfect timing, mate. I just wrote a letter to your mum about having Christmas this year at Lion’s Watch in Godric’s Hollow. It would be sort of a present to her for all that she has done for me over the years. Let her have a Christmas that she doesn’t have to do all the work for. I was thinking about inviting the Grangers to stay as well. That’ll be a perfect time for you to talk with them.”


Ron perked up at this. “You’re going to have us come to Lion’s Watch for Christmas? That sounds great. Ginny told me a couple of days ago that mum is really upset about not being able to go to the Burrow for Christmas, since it still isn’t safe for us. I think she would love to spend Christmas somewhere other than Grimmauld Place. This is perfect.”


“That’s what I just said,” Harry commented. He was mulling over the implications of what Ron was going to discuss with Hermione’s parents. “Ron, how do you know that she’s the one? You know, the one that you want to spend the rest of your life with.”


Ron looked up quickly and then leaned back, contemplating the question. “Well, I guess, now that we have finally gotten together, I just can’t picture myself without her anymore.”


“But aren’t you a bit young for this?” Harry asked.


“Harry, you know that Hermione has never acted her age. She’s always been more mature than the other people in our year. I think maybe this war has made all of us grow up faster than we would have otherwise. If the war wasn’t going on, then I might think I was too young for this but, now, I just want to be with her.” Ron had a crooked smile on his face.


“All right, Ron, you had just better be right and take good care of her,” Harry said, slapping him on the back. “So have you got a ring yet?”


“Yeah, Charlie is going to pick it up for me.” Ron blushed brighter.


“Do your parents know?” Harry asked as they started out of the classroom.


“I Owled them a couple of days ago. They just said okay yesterday.”


They walked out just as Hermione was about to open the classroom door. “What are you two doing in here? We have to get to Potions; Slughorn isn’t going to be happy if we are late,” she growled.


Ron and Harry exchanged smirks but said nothing. Hermione must have noticed the looks because she rolled her eyes and huffed off. They quickly started to follow her.


“Good luck, mate,” Harry joked.


“Thanks.”


They made it to Potions on time, but by the end of class they all wished they hadn’t. Professor Slughorn was in rare form today. He had been after Harry and Hermione since the start of term to join one of his “Slug Club” meetings, but they had always found a way to avoid it. This time, however, Slughorn would not be put off.


“Harry, m’boy, you and Miss Granger simply must come to my Christmas party. I won’t take no for an answer this time. Miss Granger, I have already checked with Mr. Macmillan, and he has assured me that you will have no Head Girl duties that evening. Harry, I hope you will bring that lovely Miss Lovegood again. She was simply delightful last year. I do expect you will be coming.” He handed both of them an invitation.


Harry and Hermione took the rolled up parchment and sighed heavily. The last thing either of them wanted to do was attend one of Slughorn’s parties. They’d thought he would give up on them when they kept putting him off, but the more they avoided him, the more persistent he got.


“I don’t guess we have much choice, do we?” Hermione stated as they walked out of the class. “Ron, will you go with me?”


“Well, I was thinking of seeing if McLaggen would take me, but since you asked…,” Ron replied with a grin.


“Look, Ronald,” Hermione fired back, “unless you want another demonstration of how I can conjure birds and make them do nasty things, you had better watch it.” Her voice was hard but the twinkle in her eyes showed she was playing.


Harry rolled his eyes and groaned.


“What? Isn’t this is better then last year, Harry, m’boy?” Ron spoke, doing a passable imitation of Slughorn.


Harry had to admit, this was certainly better than last year when Ron and Hermione had really been at each others’ throats.


They were on the second floor when Ginny came walking down the hall towards them. “Morning, you lot. Oh, I see you have received your “Slug Club” invitations.”


“You too?” Hermione responded.


Ginny held up her roll of parchment. “Got it in class”delivered no less”just a few minutes ago. So how are we skiving off this thing?”


“I don’t think we can this time,” Harry answered. “You know we have been avoiding this all year. Maybe if we just go he’ll leave us alone.”


“Well, in that case, Hermione, be sure to wear your Order of Merlin badge; Slughorn will love that,” Ginny mentioned. “Well, I am off to class. See you at lunch.”


Harry watched as she left. He then turned back to his friends who were smirking at him. “What?” he cried indignantly.


“When are you two going to get back together?” Hermione continued to smirk.


“We’re just friends, Hermione. That is all I can give right now,” Harry replied.


Hermione looked like she wanted to respond but held her tongue. She gave Ron a quick kiss and then left to go to Ancient Runes. Harry and Ron had a free period so they went to the Room of Requirement for training.
+++++++


A week later, Harry was in his dorm room getting ready for Slughorn’s party. He and Ron were looking appraisingly at themselves in the mirror on the wall. Harry thought that this might not be a bad night after all. He, Ginny, and Luna had received invitations to the party, so he was acting as escort for both the young ladies. Ginny had to patrol, so she was going to meet them there a little after the party started. He had heard back from Mrs. Weasley that she and the rest of the family would love to spend Christmas with Harry at Lion’s Watch. He had also heard from the Grangers that while they would not be able to stay the entire time, they would love to come and spend Christmas Eve with them and then leave on Christmas day.


When Harry told Hermione about the plans, she squealed, turned red, and kissed him on the cheek. She had already explained to her parents that she would not be home for Christmas, and since she had not been home during the summer, it had been almost a year since she had seen them. Delight radiated from her at the prospect of spending some time with them, even if it was just a day.


Harry and Ron walked down to the common room where Hermione was supposed to meet them. They sat in their normal armchairs and waited for her. She came down in a very nice dark green dress. Harry thought she certainly looked nice, albeit a little overdressed. He noticed Ron smiling widely and figured she had not worn the dress for the guests at the party but for him.


“I love that dress,” Ron breathed. He got up and met her at the base of the steps with a kiss. It was longer than the normal little pecks they gave each other in public. Harry cleared his throat behind them.


“Give him a cough drop,” Hermione purred into Ron’s ear. Ron snorted, seemingly enjoying the hug.


Harry started for the portrait hole. “I’ll see you two love birds there,” he announced and slipped out of the common room.


He walked down to the entrance hall, where he was to meet Luna. Harry saw her quickly. She had on silver robes, with popcorn earrings dangling from each ear, and her wand still tucked behind her left ear. “Hi, Luna, you look nice,” Harry stated with a smile. He was really quite fond of Luna’s eccentric style now.


“Evening, Harry. Shall we be off to see what the evening has in store?” she replied, still looking dreamily around the room.


“I think we shall,” he declared. She linked her arm in his and they started walking towards Slughorn’s office for the party.


They arrived, walked in, and were immediately accosted by some mistletoe. Luna chuckled as the mistletoe started tapping Harry impatiently on his head. Finally, after several seconds of tapping, Harry took Luna’s hand and kissed it. The mistletoe actually seemed disappointed, but it did leave them alone. Harry watched it go and looked on in amusement when it found Ron and Hermione entering the room. Well, it certainly found better victims.


The party was in full swing, and Harry found himself having a horrible time. He was introduced to someone from the Ministry who had been a student of Slughorn’s fifteen years previously. Slughorn was now parading him around the room, showing him off to all those in attendance. To top it off, Ginny was half an hour late and Harry had an uncomfortable feeling about it. Finally he pawned Slughorn off on Luna, as she started talking about some mythical creature her father was after, and found a quiet place to stand and think. Ron and Hermione were dancing in a far corner, oblivious to the world and the party going on around them.


Harry closed his eyes and raised his mental walls. He reached out for Ginny and his eyes snapped open. She was scared. He tried to reach into her mind to tell what was going on. He didn’t know what was wrong but he could feel her presence and for the first time, he was startled to notice, could tell where in the castle she was. He ran out of the room.


He knew, although he wasn’t sure how, that she was being taken towards the secret passage that led to Honeydukes. He raced through the corridors, focusing on Ginny, Ron and Hermione in turn. He desperately wanted to make sure Ginny was all right, and every time he focused on her, he felt the same surge of fear, but no loss of consciousness. He would then focus on Ron and Hermione, praying that they would hear his thoughts and know where to find him.


He rounded a corner and heard hushed voices in front of him. He slowed and crept down the hall just out of sight.


“Great, now she’s fainted. What do you propose we do?” came a very angry female voice.


“Well, isn’t it obvious? We carry her,” snarled a male voice. “They will be waiting for us in town. Crabbe, grab her legs; Goyle, take her arms.”


Two grunts later and Harry knew they had her up. He was puzzled because he could still feel her consciousness. He could feel the fear in her, but one of the voices said she had fainted. He didn’t have time to ponder this, however. He had to make his move before they got her into the secret passage. He stepped out from behind the corner and silently flicked his wand.


“Ahh!” screamed the lone female as she was quickly bound in tight black ropes. She fell with a thud.


“He’s over there. Crabbe, drop the girl and get him,” Malfoy sneered. “Here to get your girlfriend, Potter?”


Crabbe dropped Ginny’s legs and started walking towards Harry, who almost chuckled wondering how dumb Crabbe could be. He isn’t going to use his wand.


“Petrificus Totalus!” Harry bellowed. Crabbe fell face first onto the cold stone floor. “Just two of you left, Malfoy. I can live with those odds.”


At that moment, Ginny, her legs now free, kicked at Malfoy, who had backed almost into her. She kicked hard, catching him just above the knee. He flinched and fell to the side. Goyle dropped her and went for his wand. He never reached it. From the other end of the hall, two red streams of light fired directly at him.


The Stunners hit Goyle in the back and he was launched forward five feet, landing almost on top of Crabbe. Malfoy had righted himself by this time and looked back to see Ginny starting to scramble to her feet.


“Blood traitor slut,” he sneered and unleashed a back hand, catching her just above the right cheek. Her head was flung backwards and connected with the stone floor, blood seeping from a gash under eye. Malfoy turned back to Harry.


Harry was radiating sheer power as he saw Malfoy hit Ginny. Malfoy turned with a look of contempt, which changed to one of desperation when he saw the power that seemed to ripple off of Harry’s body. The air around him almost crackled as he raised his wand.


“STUPEFY!” Harry shouted. Malfoy reacted quickly and raised a metal shield, with a green M on the front. The red beam made contact with the shield, which shattered and slammed into Malfoy’s chest. The Stunner knocked him off his feet, driving him through the air towards the other end of the hall. He landed with a resounding thud, his head slamming back with a sickening crack on the stone floor.


Harry slowly walked towards Malfoy as Ron and Hermione raced up to him. He didn’t acknowledge their presence; he continued on, feeling nothing but rage at the blond boy lying unconscious on the floor in front of him. Ron ran to Ginny who was beside the statue of the humpbacked witch, not moving. Hermione stopped and stood in front of Harry.


“Harry, he’s out, he isn’t hurting anyone. We stopped him,” Hermione pleaded. Harry had a maniacal look in his eye.


He pushed past her so that he was standing directly over Draco’s fallen form.


“Harry, you can’t do this. He isn’t going to hurt anyone.”


“No, he isn’t…not anymore.” He raised his wand. “Goodbye, Malfoy.”


“Harry, NO!”
+++++++


A/N: I would like to apologize for the cliffhanger ending, but I REALLY like them, so no apology is forth coming. I hope you like this chapter. There is a lot going on here let me know what you think.


Thanks as always go to my dear pre beta’s cableguysmom and Kerrbear and to my wonderful beta JenC. Great job ladies, as always.


Up next we find out if Harry what happens with Malfoy, and get ready for some holiday cheer, at Lion’s Watch.

Choices by ckwright51
I Don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe.
+++++


Harry felt the rage building in his mind. The image of Ginny lying on floor, bleeding from the cut over her eye, filled his head. There was pressure on his mental walls; his fear of losing Ginny, of someone he loved being hurt, now seemed to be driving his movements.


He raised his wand.


Harry could feel his heart pounding away in his chest. He was having trouble controlling his breathing, but he was intent on destroying this creature that had wanted to hurt the girl he loved. Part of his brain was yelling at him to stop; he ignored that part. He was going to do what was necessary. He had shown mercy once before, to Wormtail in the Shrieking Shack, but not this time. This piece of pureblood filth didn’t deserve mercy.


The words formed in his mind. Avada Kedavra. All he had to do was say those words and this evil would be destroyed.


Harry’s wand hand trembled as he stared at the body in front of him. He could hear voices telling him no, telling him to put his wand away, but they were only vague sounds in his ears. The rage was continuing unabated.


Killing is far more difficult than the innocent believe.


Harry heard Dumbledore’s voice in his head. His wand hand dropped slightly. His mind raced through the memory of that night on the Astronomy Tower, of the conversation Dumbledore had had with Draco, just before Snape appeared. Draco had been unwilling to kill the Headmaster that evening; Harry knew Malfoy never would have been able to do it.


His reason began to overpower the rage in his mind, and his breathing started coming easier. But he tried to kill your Ginny! raged the other part of Harry’s mind. He tried to take her to the Dark Lord. It would be easy to kill him here. No one would blame you. They would probably give you the Order of Merlin for it.


One must choose which path to take”the one that is easy or the one that is right. It was Dumbledore’s voice again.


“Harry, NO, put your wand down. Please don’t do this,” Hermione cried. Harry noticed her standing there for the first time. He could hear Ron shouting at him from behind. His brain finally started working properly again, and he dropped his hand. The pressure in his mind immediately went away and his breathing came under control again. He could still feel anger, but it was not the uncontrollable rage that he felt previously.


“Is Ginny all right?” he shouted, turning from Hermione and racing back towards Ginny and Ron.


“I think so, but we need to get her up to the Hospital Wing. You all right?” Ron asked tentatively as he picked Ginny up in his arms.


“Yeah, I just lost it there for a second, I’m okay now,” Harry replied, guilt making him unwilling to look into Ron’s or Hermione’s eyes.


“What is the meaning of this”oh my,” McGonagall declared as she stormed down the hall. “Mr. Potter, what has happened?”


“He attacked us!” Pansy Parkinson bellowed from the floor, still bound tightly in black ropes.


Harry shrank back towards the walls. The guilt of seriously considering killing Malfoy was beginning to overwhelm him.


Hermione stepped in front of Harry and began to speak. “They were trying to kidnap Ginny, Professor. Draco Malfoy is with them. He is on the floor over by the wall. Ginny’s hurt.”


Professor McGonagall took in the scene as more teachers made their way into the hall. “Professor Slughorn, please take charge of these three”members of your house,” she nearly spat. “Take them to your office and I will be there shortly to discuss what to do with them.” Slughorn quickly removed the ropes from Pansy and revived Crabbe and Goyle. He then marched them back towards his office.


“Mr. Weasley, please take Ginny up to the Hospital Wing. Miss Granger, go to my office and contact the Ministry”inform them that we have a Death Eater here who needs to be taken into custody.”


Hermione seemed reluctant to leave Harry alone. He was standing with his back against the wall and had paled considerably since the others had arrived. “Now, Miss Granger; I will have Professor Scurlock keep an eye on Mr. Malfoy. Mr. Potter, you may go to the Hospital Wing and check on Miss Weasley, but I will expect you in my office in one hour to give a complete explanation of what happened.”


During the time that McGonagall had been issuing orders, Harry had been moving closer and closer to the wall. It seemed that the building was closing in all around him and that he had no way of escaping. His mind raced with possibilities of what would have happened if he had pronounced the curse. He was feeling cornered and needed to escape and think.


Upon hearing he could leave, Harry bolted out of the hall. He wanted to see Ginny, but he needed to go and get his mind in order first. I almost killed Malfoy, he thought as he raced out of the castle. He ran through the snow, anger building again. The anger this time, however, was focused on himself.


He ran in no particular direction. He knew that he couldn’t leave the school grounds, and he didn’t want to; the last thing he needed was to risk encountering a Death Eater. His pace slowed and he walked for several minutes until finally reaching the lake.


He noticed the eternal blue flame of Dumbledore’s tomb glowing off to his left and was drawn to it. He stepped through the snow and stood before the tomb of his fallen mentor.

The ground and air around the tomb were strangely warm, as if someone had placed a Warming Charm on the entire area. Harry looked at the white tomb, which was currently bathed in blue light. He felt he needed to say something, but he didn’t know what. Finally, his emotions broke and tears formed in his eyes.


“I failed, Professor. I’m no better than they are. I almost killed Draco Malfoy tonight. He was unarmed and knocked out and I still almost killed him. I’m no better than Voldemort.” Harry put his head in his hands and sank to his knees.


Which path was chosen? Harry heard in his head. He looked up to see if anyone was with him. He was alone.


Which path was chosen? The easy path or the right path?


“I was going to kill him,” Harry answered out loud. “I was going to use the killing curse on another human being.” He shook his head again, trying to clear it. He kept hearing the questions in his mind. He raised his mental walls and an image of Dumbledore came into perfect view.


“Professor?” Harry whispered. “Professor, is that you?”


Yes and no, the image of Dumbledore responded. Which path did you choose tonight, Harry?


“I don’t understand, Professor?”


Did you chose the path that was easy, or did you chose the path that was right?


“I don’t know…I guess, eventually I chose that path that was right. I didn’t kill Malfoy. But, Professor, I really wanted to. I wanted to hurt him because of what he had done to Ginny and what he would have done if he succeeded. I wanted to kill him.”


What stayed your hand?


“I don’t really know. I just thought about how you had shown him mercy when he was there to kill you. I guess I decided that I wanted to show him mercy too.”



Then you are decidedly unlike Tom and his followers. The image of Dumbledore smiled. Harry could just make out the twinkle in his eyes. Tom does not believe in showing mercy and will not in any case. His followers also will not, for fear of him. You, Harry, showed mercy, when all of your emotions were telling you not to. You controlled yourself and chose the right path. That is why you are not like Tom and will never be like him.


“But I wanted to kill him.”


And you chose not to. That, Harry, is the point.

The image of Dumbledore faded from Harry’s mind, and he was left to wonder if it had all just been in his head or if he had really just spoken with his former Headmaster. He stood to go, wiped the tears he had shed from his face, and walked back to the castle.
++++++


Three hours later, he was in the common room with Hermione and Ron. Ginny was all right; she had regained consciousness before Ron got her to the Hospital Wing, but was required by Madam Pomfrey to stay overnight, for “observation.”


Harry had seen her and was relieved that there was no permanent damage done. He’d then gone to explain as much as he could about the events of the evening to Professor McGonagall. Now he was back in the common room discussing things with his friends.


“Ginny said they just jumped her during her patrol,” Ron explained. “They surprised her and got her wand before she could do anything. Then they started for the secret passage. She said that she felt you, Harry, in the hall, and decided to play the fainting damsel to try and stall for time.”


“It worked,” Harry interjected.


“Hermione and I were in the party and we both sort of heard you yelling, in our heads, to come to the humpbacked witch, and that Ginny was in trouble,” Ron continued. “We got there as quickly as we could, but we must have taken a different path than you did since we were on the other end of the hall. It worked well though.”


Hermione seemed to become nervous as she opened her mouth to speak again. “Harry, you really scared me there for a minute. I thought you really were going to kill Draco.”


“I think for a minute I was. I just felt all this rage and anger, more than I’ve ever felt before. I don’t really know how to explain it. I was ready to kill him, but I didn’t. Eventually my reason began to control my anger.”


“Harry, do you think it was more than just your anger?” Hermione questioned.


“What do you mean?” Harry responded, not knowing where this was going.


“Well, I have been thinking about the connections you have,” Hermione began. “You have a connection to all of us, and we help you, but you also have a connection to Voldemort. He used it during our fifth year with the dreams you were having. Do you think he was doing something to try and influence you tonight?”


“I don’t know. I remember there being some pressure on me, like something was driving me to hurt Malfoy, but I can’t believe it was Voldemort doing it.”


“Why not? Look, your fifth year you were almost never yourself,” Hermione explained. “Sorry, but it’s true. You were angry a lot and would just fly off the handle all the time. I was thinking about that, wondering if perhaps that was a result of Voldemort putting pressure on you. Maybe he was influencing you, in a way that none of us realized. If he did it then, perhaps he was doing it now. Maybe he was driving the angry feelings you had and trying to make you lose control.”


Harry thought about this for a second. “Why would he want to push me to kill Malfoy?”


“To get you out of the way,” Ron responded. “I bet he thought that if you killed Malfoy, you would be so bound up with guilt you would give up everything and just run somewhere…or else you would like it and it would make it easier to control you later.”


Hermione looked admiringly at Ron. Harry was surprised by the insight of both his friends. He thought that what they said made good sense and it made him feel better. “So Voldemort was using the anger I was feeling and trying amplify it, to make me kill Malfoy.”


“Precisely,” Hermione stated. “If that’s true, you are going to have to be really careful about your emotions”especially when you face Voldemort. If you are filled with rage and anger, he may be able to have some control over you. If you are focused on emotions he can’t understand, he has much less power over you. Dumbledore understood that; that must be why Voldemort feared him”he knew he had no power over Dumbledore’s emotions.”


Harry thought about this final bit of information. He remembered watching his former Headmaster duel with Voldemort. He thought of the taunts that Voldemort threw at him, but Dumbledore never replied in kind. He continued to exude the compassion and caring that marked his personality. He refused to hate Voldemort; he only pitied him, and wanted to see him turn from the dark to the light. He already knew that he would have to try and direct good thoughts of love and joy into Voldemort’s mind, but he would also have to make sure he didn’t allow his anger to come to the surface.


They continued to quietly contemplate the events of the evening as the fire in the common room burned low. “Well, I’m off to bed,” Hermione announced as she got up to leave. She gave Ron a kiss and headed for the stairs.


Ron and Harry watched her go. “By the way, Harry, that Stunner you hit Malfoy with”bloody brilliant.” Ron was now grinning at Harry.


“Thanks, Ron.” The two young men rose and went to get some sleep.
+++++++


The following two weeks went by slowly for Harry. He found out that Malfoy was being held at the Ministry, for further questioning. Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy were confined to the Slytherin common room at all times except during class. There was a thought of expelling them, but it was decided that if they were removed from school, they may simply join with the rest of Voldemort’s Death Eaters and increase his numbers. The three had claimed Malfoy used the Imperius Curse on them but McGonagall didn’t believe them.


Ginny was released from the Hospital Wing the day after the attack. She had no recollection of the events following Draco hitting her. Harry was glad she hadn’t seen him standing over his body. He thought he would need to tell her at some point, but since only Hermione and Ron knew what had transpired, he didn’t want to tell her just yet.


Other concerns had Harry’s focus at the moment. He had a Christmas party to deal with, and now he sat waiting for Dobby to arrive.


Crack.


“Dobby, you’re late,” Harry stated. He quickly smiled as the house-elf looked near to punishing himself. “It’s all right. I’m not mad so please don’t hurt yourself.”


Dobby relaxed. “Harry Potter, sir, the house is coming along wonderfully. The trees are up in the parlor, the dining room, the billiard room…” Dobby continued to list different rooms of the house.


“Wait, Dobby, what are you talking about? I didn’t ask for all those trees,” Harry questioned.


“No, sir, but you said you wanted it like when the Potters lived there. Tinky, Pinky, and Brian said that the Potters would have a tree in almost every room in the house. Is sir not wanting to have that many trees?” Dobby appeared on the verge of tears at disappointing Harry.


“No, that’s fine, Dobby. Erm, how many house-elves are there?”


“Six in total, sir. I told them that you would gladly pay them, but they have all refused. Miss Hermione will not be pleased, so they are going to stay out of the way. Just Dobby and Winky will be seen working during Christmas, sir.”


Dobby bowed, his ears touching the ground. “It is an honor to help the great and powerful Harry Potter, sir.” With a crack he was gone.


Harry shook his head and walked out of the classroom. One more week of work and then some time off. He smiled and walked into the Great Hall to catch the last few minutes of lunch.
++++++


Friday dawned bright and clear as the students got ready to leave for the Christmas holiday. The Ministry was providing Auror protection for the Hogwarts Express, along with security for both Hogsmeade Station and King’s Cross.


The others had gone to help ensure that the students arrived at the train station safely, which left Harry to contemplate his next move.


Harry waited in his room, thinking, and staring at the note he had found in the gold locket that night months ago. He had placed it in his trunk when he got to the Dursleys’ and had not thought of it much since the summer ended. Now his thoughts were firmly focused on the locket”he thought he had finally discovered the identity of R.A.B.


During breakfast that morning, he had been sitting in the Great Hall when the owl post came. Hermione received her normal morning edition of the Daily Prophet. For once, she never made it past the front page. The main story was about the discovery of the remains of Regulus Alphard Black, in a small house on the coast near Lancaster. The remains were badly decomposed”only a skeleton”but they had been positively identified as belonging to the youngest Black. It took Harry and Hermione almost no time to make the connection: R.A.B. was Regulus Black.




He was still wondering over the information when Neville walked in. “Hi, Harry, thanks for inviting me for Christmas. Gran says she will be there a couple of days after Christmas since she is visiting my uncle and aunt.”


“No problem, Neville. I was hoping that you and Luna could come and stay. You haven’t seen the size of this house, but we are going to need all the people we can get to fill it up.” Harry went back to contemplating the locket.


“Um, Harry, speaking of people in the house, could I invite someone to dinner Christmas day?” Neville seemed nervous about his request.


“Of course, Neville. Oh, it isn’t Romilda Vane, is it?”


Neville frowned. “Oh, no, I was just wondering if I could invite Parvati.” Neville broke into a furious blush.


Harry smiled, “Of course! So, you two?”


Neville continued to blush. “Yeah, for a couple of weeks now. We’ve kept it quiet though.”


“That’s great, Neville.” Harry smiled, genuinely pleased that his friend was dating one of the prettiest girls in the school.


“What’s great, Neville?” Ron asked, coming back into the dorm.


“I’m bringing Parvati to Christmas dinner at Harry’s,” Neville replied, filling with pride.


“Really? That’s great, Neville,” Ron commented. “So, Harry, you ready to get to out of here? McGonagall said that we can Floo from the common room. Mum and Dad should already be at Lion’s Watch.” Ron grabbed his pack.


“Yeah, let’s go. I think I am ready for some Yule Tide cheer,” Harry declared. He put the locket and note into his pocket. He intended to take a trip to Lancaster during the holiday, but he would think about it after Christmas.


They met Ginny and Hermione in the common room, ready for a Christmas holiday at Lion’s Watch.
+++++++
A/N: Well it is certainly good that Harry chose the correct path and didn’t kill Malfoy in cold blood. Did anyone really think he would? Thanks as always go out to my prebetas cableguysmom and Kerrbear, and to my wonderful beta, that is working diligently to try and help this story get finished BEFORE “Deathly Hollows” is published. Thanks ladies.


I am curious to know what you think about Ron and Hermione, as well as any other thoughts you have so far. Let me know what you think.

Up next a little Christmas Cheer, and the return of the fly motorcycle!
I'll Be Home for Christmas by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe.
+++++


Lion’s Keep was, in a word, incredible. As Harry walked from room to room, he was struck by just how much it had changed for the holiday season. Large Christmas trees decorated almost every room, and other Christmas knickknacks dotted every open space. Harry was thankful to see that there was no mistletoe in sight. This was a Christmas wonderland that Harry had never experienced before. The portraits on the walls had started singing Christmas carols to anyone walking by, and much to Harry’s surprise, broke out into a rousing rendition of “God Rest ye, Merry Hippogriffs” whenever Remus was within earshot.


There were two trees, however, that stood out in Harry’s mind, above all the wonderful decorations. First was the tree in the main entrance hall. It easily stood twenty feet, reminding Harry of the trees that Hagrid had always brought in for the Christmas festivities at Hogwarts. He loved the tree, but it also bothered him. Hagrid had left the school in November on Order business, and Harry had not heard from him since. Every time he asked about it, he was told that everything was fine and not to worry. Harry was still very concerned for his big friend.


The second tree was the centre piece of the main living room. This was the tree that had all the presents under it, but this was not why Harry thought fondly of it. Upon arriving at the house, he had discovered that this was the Weasley family tree he had seen in the Burrow the previous year. He even noticed a rather disgruntled looking garden gnome tied to the top, wearing angel’s wings and a dress.


On Christmas Eve, Harry woke early. He had his own room in the house, as did everyone else. Luna had arrived a couple of days into the holidays, and her father would be arriving sometime that afternoon. Hermione’s parents were going to arrive, via car, much to the joy of Mr. Weasley, in the afternoon. Bill, Fleur, the twins, Charlie, Remus and Tonks were all staying in the house as well.


Harry walked down to the large, formal dining table, since that was the only table in the house that could seat all the guests. He was surprised that, while the house was certainly immense, all the people staying there seemed to congregate in the same four or five rooms. No one ever went up past the third floor.

“Morning, Harry dear, did you sleep well?” Mrs. Weasley questioned as he took his seat at the table. She had finally stopped thanking him for having them all over during the holidays.


“Yes, ma’am,” he replied. “Is Ron down yet?” Harry had scanned the table but found that Ron was not present, nor were Ginny, Neville, Luna, or Hermione.


“Yes, dear, he came down a while ago. He seemed terribly nervous about something though. Hardly touched his breakfast,” Mrs. Weasley commented, looking a little worried.


“I’m sure he is fine,” Harry reassured her. “Probably just nervous about what he got Hermione for Christmas.”


Mrs. Weasley nodded with a slight grin. Harry had a feeling Ron’s “talk” with Hermione’s parents was the source of Ron’s consternation and lack of appetite.

Harry finished breakfast as Hermione walked into the dining room with the morning paper. She looked a little pale as she approached. She sat down beside him just as Remus entered for breakfast.


“Harry,” she whispered. “Take a look at this.” She handed Harry the paper.


He saw on the front page a picture of man, apparently dead, in black Death Eater robes. He had a silver hand attached to his right arm. Harry’s breath caught in his throat and he looked up at Remus. He noticed that Remus had a long newly healed cut on the side of his face. He looked much paler than usual, as if he hadn’t slept all night.


“Remus, what happened to your face?” Harry asked hesitantly.


Remus looked very sad as he lifted his head to face Harry. His eyes were bloodshot and his mouth drawn into a grim expression. “I’m the last of the Marauders,” he declared. “I killed Peter last night.”


“How?” Harry exclaimed, his eyes wide in surprise.


“I was at Headquarters last night with Nymphadora,” Remus began. “We had some things to pick up for tomorrow. When we arrived, there was a small group of Death Eaters trying to get in. They didn’t know exactly where the house was, and they couldn’t see it, so they were just firing spells in all directions, trying to damage the wards on number twelve. They were hitting the houses of the neighbouring Muggles, and when they came out, they were attacked as well. Nymphadora called in some Aurors and we helped them subdue the Death Eaters. In the process of fighting, I hit Peter with a Cutting Hex. I caught him in the neck, and he died before the fight was over.” Remus looked much paler now and tears began to well up in his eyes.


Harry didn’t know what to say to his former professor. He could tell that the idea that he had killed Wormtail was eating at Lupin, but he didn’t really know fully why. He himself felt no pain at the loss of that traitor. “Are you all right, Remus?” Harry questioned.


“Yes, Harry, I’ve never killed anyone before, and certainly not someone I once considered a friend. I guess there was a part of me that hoped he could still be redeemed, but that can’t be the case now. Excuse me.” Remus got up and quickly left the table, followed by Tonks, who had just entered the room.


“He was the last Marauder long before last night. Wormtail never deserved that honour,” Harry stated flatly. He was no longer hungry, so he and Hermione went to the billiard room to find the rest of the gang.
++++++


The festive spirit in the house was too great for even the sorrows of war to hold down, and by late afternoon Remus could be seen smiling and laughing along with the rest of family. Luna’s father arrived around two and regaled most of the adults with fantastic stories of mythical creatures he had “encountered” over the years. Luna was certainly cast in the same mould as her father. They both wore dreamy expressions on their faces for the majority of the time, but could also speak with surprising wisdom, candour, and intelligence when they wanted to. Harry was surprised to notice that even Hermione seemed to genuinely like the elder Lovegood.


At four thirty, a sound not heard at Lion’s Watch in many years, was heard: the sound of vehicle tires pulling into the drive. Dobby had extended and widened the foot path to make it useable for a car. The Grangers had arrived.


Harry watched as the reactions of his two best friends could not have been more different. As Mrs. Granger walked into the house, Hermione squealed with delight and ran to embrace her. Her father was met, too, by a squeal and a powerful hug. Her mother had tears in her eyes and her father laughed merrily, as he patted his only daughter on the back. They were both obviously thrilled to see Hermione, and it struck Harry just how alone Hermione must feel. Her parents had no contact with, nor real understanding of, the wizarding world. She, in some ways, was just as alone as he was. He smiled, thinking of how the Weasleys had accepted them both without hesitation into their already very large family.


Ron’s reaction to the arrival of the Grangers was much quieter. He just turned green. Harry watched with admiration, however, as he stood”still green, but his back straight”and marched over to greet the Grangers.


“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Granger,” he spoke, holding out his hand to shake Mr. Granger’s. “It’s nice to see you again.” Harry thought Ron sounded stiff, and a bit too much like Percy, but he understood just how nervous Ron must be at the moment.


Mr. Granger shook Ron’s hand with a wide smile. Mrs. Granger wrapped him in a hug, tears building in her eyes. She mumbled something that Harry couldn’t hear, but Ron seemed to visibly relax. Hermione stepped in as Ron was released and hugged her mother again.


Finally, the Grangers were allowed to move past the entrance hall and into the house. Mr. Weasley quickly cornered Mr. Granger, quizzing him on all things Muggle. Mr. Granger, however, did not seem at all put out by it. In fact, Harry distinctly heard him refer to all the wizarding world information Mr. Weasley offered as “simply fascinating,” and Harry knew where Hermione got her investigative nature from.


“Ron, what did Mrs. Granger say to you when she hugged you?” Ginny asked when she, Harry, and Ron had slipped into a quiet corner.


Ron blushed. “She thanked me for taking such good care of her daughter. She said Hermione has been talking about me for years”how I help her, and try to make her have a good time once in a while.” The blush deepened, but the pride in his voice was clear.


“Awww, little Ronniekins…” Fred intoned from behind them.


“It seems ickle Ronnie has impressed the fair Hermione’s parents,” George announced.


“Watch out, Ron, once the parents like you,” Fred continued.


“The girl won’t anymore,” George finished. Ron went pale again.


Ginny smacked Fred in the arm and kicked George in the shin. “You two, grow up! It’s no wonder neither of you have a girlfriend. You both obviously know nothing about women.”


“Oh, and how would wee little Ginny know about that?” Fred remarked mockingly.


“Yeah, you’re just a wee little girl, so how would you know about what women want?” George commented.


“Oh yeah, you may only see me that way, but some people here see me as all grown up,” she smiled, looking over at Harry, who felt his cheeks turn a blazing red.


“What do you mean by all that?” George exclaimed.


“Who thinks you’re all grown up?” Fred fired back, then turned to Harry, who looked as if he had a bad sunburn on his face. “He thinks you’re all grown up?”


Fred and George started to walk towards Harry, cracking their knuckles, glaring, doing a rather good impression of Crabbe and Goyle.


“Hey, guys, wait--” Harry stammered, backing into the wall.


“Dinner is ready,” Dobby announced from the hallway.


The twins looked at each other, slight grins playing at the corners of their mouths. “We’ll talk about this later, Harry,” they both stated before leaving the room.


“Thanks for that, Ginny,” Harry commented dryly.


“No problem, Harry, see you in there,” Ginny replied before sauntering out of the room. Harry shook his head, as if to clear it, and followed, her still blushing furiously.


The dinner was magnificent, with enough food to rival even the Hogwarts feasts. After everyone had eaten until they were completely full, Harry, Neville, Ginny and Luna got up to go to the game room and relax. Harry noticed that Ron had quietly left the room with Mr. Granger, while Hermione and her mother chatted merrily over tea.


An hour later, Ron walked slowly into the game room. “Where’s Hermione?” Ginny asked.


“She’s with her mum and dad. Since she hasn’t seen them in a while, she wants to spend as much time with them as she can. I think they went to her room to chat,” Ron explained.


Harry looked at Ron. Something didn’t seem quite right. He didn’t look pale, or green. He didn’t look happy or sad; he looked neutral, which for Ron was a rare thing. Harry caught his eye and raised his eyebrows, as if to say, “Did you talk to them and what did they say?”


Ron nodded back, and the faintest of grins broke across his face. “Well I am off to bed,” he declared, the smile growing by the second. He left the room and Harry could have sworn he heard a “Whoop” coming from behind the door as it closed.


“What was that all about?” Neville asked, confused.


“I think Ron is going to have a very happy Christmas this year,” Harry replied, a grin breaking out on his face as well.
+++++++++


“Harry, wake up, it’s Christmas!” Ginny shouted into his bedroom from the door. She then raced down the hall before Harry had even opened his eyes.


He groggily grabbed his glasses, went to check his watch, realized it still didn’t work and got out of bed. He put on his robe, and moved towards the door. They always wake up early on Christmas day, Harry thought as he stepped into the hall. He was greeted by a stream of ice cold water falling onto him from above.


“AHHHH!” he shouted, jumping back into his room. He heard the insane laughter of the twins in the hallway.


“Just thought you might need a cold shower this morning,” one of the twins shouted.


“Since you obviously see our little sister as all grown up,” the other finished.


“See you downstairs, Harry,” they chorused.


Harry glared at the door, feeling cold and wet, but not sleepy anymore. He dried himself off and put on clothes before making his way downstairs.


“What took you so long, mate?” Ron shouted as Harry descended the last steps.


Harry simply growled, glaring at the twins, who stood in the corner laughing. They caught his eye and immediately got serious and walked over to greet him.


“Sorry about that, Harry,” Fred declared.


“Yeah, just having some fun,” George stated sheepishly.


“No harm done,” Fred continued.


“Right, all’s well and that sort of thing. Here, have some breakfast.” George grabbed a tray of pasties from a nearby table. He took one for himself and offered the tray to Harry.


Harry looked suspiciously at the tray. “I think I’ll have this one.” He grabbed the one George was just about to take a bite out of. George looked like he was going to protest, but allowed Harry to take the pasty. Harry took a quick bite and POOF! he became a small pig running around the room.


The twins doubled over with laughter as they watched the little pink pig with glasses race from one person to the next. Finally, after a minute or so, Poof, Harry was himself again, beet red, on his hands and knees in front of a very amused Mrs. Granger.


“Piglet Pasties,” George shouted.


“They’ll be in the spring catalogue,” Fred announced between laughs.


The room broke into great peals of laughter. Harry, still mightily embarrassed, walked over to a chair and sat down with a huff. Fred and George were roaring with laughter, when Ginny shouted an incantation and waved her wand at them.


The twins stopped laughing as large slimy-winged bogies started attacking their heads from every direction.


“Get ’em off!” they both shouted, swatting at the black wings, trying to fend off the attack. The room erupted into laughter again at the sight of the twins. Ginny finally released the hex and the twins began laughing as well.


Once the theatrics of the twins and Harry were complete, it was time for serious present opening. Harry was surprised that almost all of his presents this year were articles of clothing, including his normal green jumper with the H sewn on the chest. He was happy that he would finally have some clothes of his own to wear instead of Dudley’s ill-fitting hand-me-downs. Hermione was the only member of the group to get him something other than clothing; as usual, she purchased Harry a book”this one on great wizards from the United States.


“Jenny Wright, from America, suggested it, and I thought it was fascinating,” Hermione explained, as he opened the book.


The morning wore on and the house slowly slowed down to a lazy, peaceful pace. Harry watched with a satisfied smile as Ginny looked admiringly at her new charm bracelet, a gift from him. It had two charms on it, a broomstick and a Quaffle.

Lunch was set for noon. Everyone was gathered in the main dinning room setting places and chatting happily. Parvati arrived around eleven, and she and Neville exchanged gifts and a few kisses, quietly in a corner.


They were all just about to find their places when a thunderous knock came from the door. The door opened and Hagrid made his way into the house. He was smiling from ear to ear and greeted everyone warmly.


Harry walked up to his friend. “Hagrid! Where have you been?”


“Never you mind that, Harry,” Hagrid replied. “You’ll find out soon enough. Let’s eat, I’m starved.”


Harry noticed Hagrid giving a short nod to Remus, but said nothing. Remus nodded back and went to take his seat beside Tonks.


Dinner ended and once again everyone was stuffed beyond anything they could believe. All the guests slowly found their way from the table to other parts of the house. Harry was on his way to the game room, but was stopped by Remus.


“Harry, could you come with me?”


“Sure, Remus,” Harry replied. They started for the door. Harry saw Ron and Hermione walk out just before him and Remus. All four walked down the path, although Ron and Hermione were in front of them and didn’t seem to notice they were there.


Ron and Hermione turned down a path that Harry knew led to a small pond surrounded by Weeping Willow trees, very similar to the pond in the garden behind Grimmauld Place. Harry and Remus kept walking down the main path, and Harry realized they were walking to his parents’ house.


He had no idea why Remus was taking him here; he really didn’t want to think about losing his parents on a day that had been so bright and happy. He walked around the corner and almost fainted on the spot.


Before him was a perfectly rebuilt two story brick house. All signs of damage and destruction had been removed; the house stood completely restored.


Harry couldn’t speak. He couldn’t move as he stood there looking at the home that he couldn’t remember. It was his home”the place where he had spent the first year of his life, not the demolished wreck he had seen during the summer. “How?”


“I have been working on it for the past couple of months. Remember I told you that Sirius, your dad and I built it years ago? Hagrid came to help me get the finishing touches on it before Christmas. This, Harry, is your Christmas present from Nymphadora and me. Happy Christmas!”


Harry felt like he couldn’t breathe. Tears began to build in his eyes and he didn’t know what to say. He was saved from the awkward silence by Hagrid, who walked up behind him. “All right, Harry?” he said with a smile as he gently placed his massive hand on Harry’s shoulder.


Harry eventually regained his ability to speak. “Hagrid, Remus, I really don’t know how to thank you for this.”


“Just live your life and enjoy it as much as you possibly can, Harry,” Remus replied with a sad smile.


They walked into the house. The furnishings downstairs were all in place and repaired. The upstairs, however, was completely devoid of furniture. Harry was puzzled over this as he and Remus walked down the upstairs hall.


“We didn’t put furniture up here, Harry, because we thought you might like to do that yourself. Most of what was up here was destroyed anyway. Once you graduate, Nymphadora and I will be more than happy to help you with it if you would like.”


“Yeah, that would be great.” Harry smiled. The smile faded, however, and he continued, “Remus, how would anyone but us see the place? The Fidelius Charm is still working although Peter is dead, right?”


A cloud of emotion seemed to descend upon Remus for an instant at the mention of the Charm and Wormtail’s death, but just as quickly as it appeared, it vanished. “I have been working on that, Harry. As it turns out, there is a way for you, as owner of the house, to reverse the spell, now that the Keeper is dead. The incantation is simple enough, although I didn’t expect for you to be able to use it so soon.”


“Why would reversing it be simple if the Fidelius Charm is so hard to perform?” Harry questioned. The Fidelius Charm was always very confusing for him.


Remus paused, thinking before he answered. “It often happens, Harry, that undoing a complicated spell is easier than doing it. Besides, if the Secret Keeper is dead, then only those who wanted to keep the secret in the first place would be able to undo the spell. Does that sort it out for you?”


Harry’s head was beginning to hurt as he tried to make sense of what Remus was telling him. Finally, still confused after several minutes, he gave up. “Just tell me what to do.”


“The incantation is Retego Pectusoris Dissimulo Custos.” Remus waved his wand, showing Harry the wand movement.


Harry imitated the move and the incantation and was surprised to see that nothing happened. “So, is the Charm lifted?”


“I guess we will have to get someone to come out and check,” Remus replied, with a slight grin.


“Harry, can I give you my present now?” Hagrid started, uncharacteristically shy.


“Isn’t this your present, Hagrid?” Harry replied. “You didn’t get me something along with doing all this?”


“Well, sort of…I just sort of thought you’d like this last gift. It’s outside.”


They stepped outside and walked around to the side of the house. Harry saw the shed that had been his dad’s old workshop. Hagrid opened the front door and walked inside. He came out a second later, pushing a beautiful Harley Davidson motorcycle. The chromium on the exhaust pipes and handle bars shined in the afternoon sun. The cowling over the engine was candy apple red, with a large black dog painted on either side.


“This, Harry, is Sirius’s old flying motorbike.”


Harry’s eyes went red again with tears as he tentatively reached out and touched the bike. He had a look of wonder on his face and began to imagine his godfather flying around on this machine. He then remembered Hagrid saying that he had picked Harry up and flew it to the Dursleys’ after that horrible Halloween night. “You can fly this,” Harry stated.

“Yeap. Would you like to go for a spin?” Hagrid asked, his eyes twinkling with glee.


“Oh yeah!” Harry smiled, the excitement of getting to fly on this magical motorcycle overpowering his memories about Sirius.


“Great, let’s go, it’s all filled up and ready to fly,” Hagrid said, smiling broadly.


Harry sat behind Hagrid as he started the motor. It roared to life, and before Harry knew it, he was flying around the grounds of Lion’s Watch on his godfather’s motorcycle. They flew over the Quidditch pitch Harry’s grandfather had built for his father. They flew over the pond, where Harry thought he saw Ron and Hermione in an embrace. They flew over the house just in time to see Neville and Parvati kissing on a second floor balcony. Harry also saw Ginny watching from the third floor window as they went flying by. Harry knew he had to take her for a ride when he learned how to fly it himself.
+++++++


Harry spent hours flying that afternoon. He was very wind blown and tired when he finally reentered the main house, but was thrilled about the time he’d had in the air over the afternoon. He walked into the house and was greeted by a scream.


“Harry, did you hear? Did you see?” Ginny bellowed from the main sitting room. Harry was fairly certain he knew what to expect when he walked in.


He stepped around the corner and saw Hermione, positively glowing, sitting across the room on a couch with Ron. Mr. and Mrs. Granger appeared to be in deep discussion with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Hermione looked up and smiled warmly at Harry. Harry smiled back, noticing the small pearl engagement ring on her left hand. He walked over and she stood so that he could hug her.


“Congratulations, Hermione, Ron,” he said, surprised by the amount of emotion in his voice. Ron got up and gave him a one-armed hug as Hermione walked over to show the ring off to Ginny once more.


“Why a pearl?” Harry asked.


“Remember the Muggle book you guys saw me reading a few weeks back?” Harry nodded. “Well the main character gets engaged and the bloke gives her a pearl instead of a diamond. I liked that, and Hermione doesn’t like diamonds anyway, so I thought it was a good idea.”


“And to think that someone once said that you have the emotional range of a knife and fork.” Harry smiled.


The rest of the evening was a dazzle of fun for the family. Harry watched from the sidelines as news of Hermione and Ron’s engagement was made known throughout the house. Fred and George, upon hearing the news, both flung themselves at Hermione’s feet, expressing their undying devotion to her and begging her to reconsider.


Bill simply slapped Ron on the back and welcomed Hermione into the family. Mrs. Weasley and Mrs. Granger sat at a small table discussing wedding plans.


Harry watched and enjoyed the happiness of his friends. He knew that the war would be back tomorrow, that he would have to leave them again and risk his life”but that would come tomorrow. He would enjoy this evening and file the memories away for his final duel with Voldemort.
+++++++


A/N: Sorry for the long wait on this one. I will try and submit faster in the future.


As always big, major thanks to my pre-betas Kerrbear and cableguysmom. Also I would like to welcome Ginny Guerra as one of my beta, she was a big help on this chapter, will be helping with the rest of the story along with my always wonderful beta JenC. Thanks ladies for all the hard work. It is good because you ladies make it good.


Coming up next a trip to Lancaster to search RAB’s house and some questions finally get answered.


Lancaster by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse.
++++++


The week between Christmas and New Year’s Day was a strained one for all those at Lion’s Watch. The news of the pre-Christmas attack on Headquarters was punctuated by news of attacks in Hogsmeade, and even in the small hamlet of Ottery St. Catchpole.


The Weasleys, at Harry’s request, were going to stay at Lion’s Watch for the duration of the war. It would become the new Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix, and home to Harry’s adopted family. With this decided, Harry had to disclose the fact that he “owned” four house-elves, since Mrs. Weasley had no way of keeping a house that large. Hermione was not pleased.


She attempted to have Harry give them clothes at once, but the house-elves staunchly refused. “Wez ‘ave been working for the Potters for five generations and wez ain’t stoppen now,” Pinky had remarked in a huff. It was finally agreed that Dobby would try and talk them into taking a regular salary, and Hermione eventually let the issue rest.


The attacks had unnerved Harry. He thought about the warnings from Percy about not going to Grimmauld Place or the Burrow. The attacks had been directed at to both houses,although the Fidelius Charm kept the Deaths Eaters from finding Number 12 and the wards around the Burrow held. The attack in Hogsmeade made less sense. Was Percy right and they were trying to attack him? If so, why the attack in Hogsmeade? Was Percy just uninformed? He’d certainly seemed to have a good bit of information in the past, but he must not know everything Voldemort was doing.


Harry was sitting on the balcony of his room contemplating these questions when he heard a small tap at the door. He raised his mental walls and felt the warm presence of Ginny waiting behind the door.


Come in, he thought. He felt Ginny’s pulse quicken, as he heard the door open behind him.


“Harry, you need to warn me before you do that,” she chided him.


“I thought you liked me being inside your head?” Harry replied, looking back at her. She wore a white turtleneck sweater and jeans. She had on almost no makeup, and the cold had caused her face to pale more than usual. This made her flaming red hair stand out even more brilliantly, and Harry thought for the hundredth time about just how beautiful she was.


“I said I don’t mind you being in my head. Just don’t surprise me like that,” she commented with a slight grin. “So, what are you doing, just hanging out up here?”


“Just thinking about things. I know you aren’t going to want to hear this, but I need to try and go to Lancaster before we get back to school. There may be something there that will help us find the locket,” Harry stated. He really had been thinking about going to Lancaster, and he had absolutely no intention of telling Ginny about Percy.


“Why wouldn’t I want to hear about that?” Ginny asked, her tone growing colder. “Oh, I see, you still aren’t going to let us help you, right?” She had her hands on her hips and seemed to be ready to argue.


Harry, however, was not going to be dissuaded. He had decided that he could do this on his own, the injuries suffered in obtaining Hufflepuff’s cup notwithstanding. “You know why I don’t want you all to come, Ginny. We have been through this argument before.”


“Harry, where are we going with this?” Ginny sighed, her demeanor softening.


Harry was caught completely off balance by the sudden change in topic and didn’t really understand what she was asking. “Where are we going with what?”


“With us,” she stated flatly, her cheeks flaming. “We flirt all the time. You know that I care about you, and I think you care about me”and not in the overly protective brotherly sense, either. Why aren’t we together?”


This was the conversation Harry had been hoping to avoid until the war was over. The truth was that he really believed he loved Ginny”loved her the same way that Ron loved Hermione”but he couldn’t be with her like that. Not until the war was over and they could be safe. “Nothing’s changed, Ginny. The same reasons I broke up with you in June hold true now.”


Ginny deflated and tears came to her eyes. “Nothing’s changed?”


“No, I promise when it does you will be the first to know,” Harry replied, desperately trying to find the words to comfort her.


“Okay, Harry,” was all Ginny said as she left the room. Harry felt awful, but he had to finish this before he could truly live, and that meant keeping Ginny at arm’s length. At least that is what he told himself. It was becoming more and more difficult for him to see the reasonableness of his position, but he clung stubbornly to it.
+++++++


January the second dawned bright but very cold. Harry sat by the fireplace in a small sitting room on the second floor. He and his friends had discovered that this room was the warmest in the house, so they often congregated there. Harry was seated in a squishy armchair that reminded him fondly of the common room chairs at Hogwarts. Hermione and Ron were snuggling on the couch, while Ginny sat in another armchair across from Harry. She had made no mention of their conversation the day before and seemed as at ease with him as ever. Neville and Luna were playing a game of Exploding Snap at a table in the middle of the room.


“So, Harry, when are you going to get to Lancaster?” Neville asked as the deck of cards exploded in Luna’s face.


“That’s a good question. I don’t know enough about the place to get there. I could fly, but I don’t know which house it is. I can’t Apparate since I don’t know the area. I don’t really know how to get there, but I think that finding the place will help me to find the locket.”


“Do you think that Tonks might know where it is since she was Regulus’s cousin?” Ron asked.


“I don’t know, but if I ask her about it, she’ll want to know why,” Harry replied.


“Do we know anyone who knew Regulus when he was alive?” Ginny interjected.


“Fifteen years is a long time, sixteen now. I don’t know, since most of the family is dead,” Hermione replied, grimacing when Harry pressed his lips together at the mention of the rest of the Black family being dead. “Sorry, Harry.”


“Is sir wanting anything before we tidy up the kitchen?” Pinky the house-elf asked, sticking his head into the room.


“No thanks, Pinky, thanks for the offer though,” Harry replied, smirking as Ron leaned back on the couch with a somewhat disappointed look on his face.


“Yes sir, anything for the great Harry Potter sir,” Pinky bowed, his nose and ears brushing the floor, and left the room.


“That elf has been talking to Dobby too much,” Harry commented. “I wonder why they are so loyal in the first place.” Harry had expected an explanation from Hermione or someone in the room, but his question was met with silence. He looked at Hermione, who had the look of someone just putting the last piece of a puzzle together.


“What about Kreacher?” she exclaimed.


“I don’t think he’s been talking to Dobby?” Ron said dryly.


“No, He may know about the house in Lancaster. He may be able to tell us what Harry needs to know,” Hermione explained, clearly getting overwhelmed with excitement.


“Hey! That makes sense. Kreacher always talked about how much he liked Regulus, so he might know something,” Ginny agreed.


“Harry, go ahead and call him. Maybe we can get the information and we can go…I mean you can go today or tomorrow,” Ron interjected.


Harry thought about this idea for a minute. He had used Kreacher before, to spy on Malfoy last year, so he knew that the house-elf would do what he was told and could not lie to him directly. “All right. Kreacher,” he announced.

Crack. Kreacher popped into the room.


“Oh look! The blood traitor and the Mudblood are entangled on the couch. That looks cosy, blah,” he muttered. Slowly, he turned and looked at Harry. He gave an exaggerated bow and said in a full sarcastic voice, “Harry Potter wished to see me?” He bowed again and began muttering about half-blood whelps and wasting his time.


Harry rolled his eyes as Kreacher performed his little show of being the good house-elf. “Yes, Kreacher, I want you to tell me what you know about Regulus Black’s house in Lancaster. You are not to lie.”


Kreacher immediately stopped muttering and looked directly at Harry. “Master Black, Master Black is dead. The Dark Lord killed him. The Dark Lord comes in the night to Master Black’s little house in Lancaster. Kreacher’s wanting to get Master Black out but it’s too late. Master Black is dead.” The house-elf seemed filled with sorrow as he talked about the death of the youngest Black son. His eyes filled with tears.


“It’s all right, Kreacher,” Hermione spoke gently.


“The Mudblood says it’s all right. She is having no idea how awful it is that Master Black is gone. She is having no idea how awful it is to have her talking to Kreacher.”


“Kreacher, that’s enough,” Harry declared angrily. “Where is the house?”


“1564 N Dowling Street,” Kreacher responded and began muttering again.


“Did he bring anything back there that you know of? Something he found very important?”


“No.”


“Is there a picture of the house or something I can see?”


Kreacher snapped his fingers and a small framed photo of Regulus and Sirius appeared in his hand. There was a two story house in the background. Harry took the photo as a surge of emotion pulsed through his body. Sirius seemed to be the same age he was in the wedding photo he had of him and Harry’s parents. Regulus looked like a smaller and slightly heavier copy of his older brother. Sirius’s eyes were filled with mirth and laughter. Regulus looked dark and sullen.


Hermione came over and looked at the picture along with Ron, Luna, and Neville. Ginny never took her eyes off Harry.


Hermione was the first to speak. “This should be enough.”


“Yeah, I think it is. I can go tomorrow. I’ll take the Invisibility Cloak and have a look around. Hopefully I can bring the locket back and it will be done with.” Harry looked back at Kreacher who was stalking around behind the group. “Kreacher, go and don’t talk to anyone at Hogwarts about this.”


Crack. Kreacher was gone.


“So that’s it then. I leave in the morning,” Harry remarked. Everyone in the room looked warily at him, not knowing what to expect when he went to Lancaster.
+++++


The next morning, under the guise of exploring the grounds, Harry left the house and started walking down the path to the main gate. He had his rucksack with him and the lunch Mrs. Weasley had prepared for him for his hike. He felt awful for lying to her, but the truth was impossible for a multitude of reasons.


The rest of his friends had been very reluctant to let him go; Hermione, surprisingly, being the worst among them. They finally relented and left the main house a little before he did, going to spend the morning at the Quidditch pitch.


As Harry made his way down the path, he caught sight of Ron and Hermione, arguing.


“What do you mean you can’t? This was your idea,” Ron whispered, obviously annoyed.


“I don’t know, Ron. I just can’t do it now. Something is different and has been for a few weeks,” Hermione replied, tears beginning to fill her eyes.


“What’s going on, you two?” Harry interrupted, feeling very nervous for his newly engaged friends. “Everything okay?”


Ron jumped as Harry’s words startled him and Hermione started shifting uneasily from foot to foot. “Harry,” Ron exclaimed a little too brightly. “Nothing to worry about. Hermione and I were just discussing…um…”


They looked at each other, but neither seemed able to say what exactly they were talking about. Hermione had turned red and Ron had paled considerably. “We were talking about…relationship stuff,” Hermione finally commented lamely.


Harry’s eyes widened as his head replayed the part of the conversation he had heard. “What can’t she do, Ron?! He stepped forward, fists clenched.


Ron stepped back, looking bewildered by Harry’s reaction, his facial expression clearly showing he had no clue what Harry was talking about. “We were just discussing some things in our relationship. They really don’t concern you, Harry.”


This was the wrong thing to say, as Harry’s protective nature had gone into full swing. “If you are trying to push Hermione into doing something she isn’t ready to do, then you damn well better believe it’s my concern!” Harry shouted, taking a second step towards Ron.


“Oh, Harry, no!” Hermione gasped. “You can’t think that Ron would ever do something like that. We were talking about what we would do for our honeymoon. That’s all; we weren’t discussing anything else.”


Harry continued to glare at Ron, and Ron, who was now openly offended by Harry’s assumptions, glared back. “You’re sure that’s all you were talking about?”


“Of course it is… mate,” Ron hissed sarcastically. “I wouldn’t do something like that to anyone, let alone Hermione.” Ron stalked off towards the Quidditch pitch, leaving Hermione and a very frustrated Harry on the path.


“Oh, bloody hell,” Harry spat. “I just thought… the part of the conversation I heard….” Harry threw his hands up in irritation.


“It’s all right, Harry. Don’t worry about Ron. He’ll be fine; you need to concentrate on getting to Lancaster and getting back safely. I still wish you would wait, or let us go with you.”


Harry sighed, not wanting to argue this over again. “I know, Hermione, but we’ve settled this. Go have fun with Ron and tell him I’m sorry for the misunderstanding.” Harry walked to the front gate as Hermione watched him go.


He was still feeling frustrated about the row with Ron as he exited the gates. He raised the walls in his mind and reached out to his best friend. He flinched as he felt Ron’s anger still very clear. He felt it almost as if Ron was very close to him, although he knew the pitch was almost a mile away. He must be really mad.


Harry put on the Invisibility Cloak and focused his mind on taking him to Lancaster. He felt the squeezing of Apparition and almost instantly arrived just outside Regulus Black’s old house. The house was far more rundown than what it looked like in the photo he’d seen. The windows were all broken. The yard was a mass of overgrown grass and weeds. The fence that marked off the perimeter of the yard was in shambles.


Harry, mental walls still in place, walked slowly up the path to the house. He stepped into the front door and removed the Invisibility Cloak. The house was in ruins and had the musty smell of not having been lived in for a very long time. Harry vaguely wondered why it had taken so long for anyone to find the body.


He began to focus on seeing dark magic around him and was immediately inundated by the objects in the room. As he looked around, he saw faint reds, dark greens, and glowing blacks, all seemingly indicating the presence of dark magic about him.


He walked through the mess of broken furniture, papers, and other assorted trash, inspecting the house. He found no evidence of the locket in the downstairs so he decided to explore the second floor.


This floor was also a wreck, although less so than the first. He checked the bedrooms to no avail. Each room had definite traces of dark magic, but nothing he could identify as the locket Horcrux. He felt sure he would recognize it when he saw it.


He checked the attic and found boxes of dark objects, but no locket. He was getting frustrated with his search and the feeling that he was wasting his time, but he continued nonetheless.


After about two hours of searching the house from top to bottom, he’d found nothing of use. He finally gave up and decided that the locket must not be there. He stepped onto the stairs heading towards the ground floor and heard hushed voices coming from the front door. His heart leaped into his throat as he recognized the distinct sneer of Lucius Malfoy.


“Come on, the disgusting little house-elf said he would be here today,” Malfoy hissed.


“Oh Harrykins,” Bellatrix Lestrange called out. “Can wittle baby Potter come out to play.”


“Hush, Bellatrix. We want to surprise him,” growled an obviously annoyed Malfoy.


“Yes, my dear, please don’t let the little brat know we are coming for him,” said a voice Harry thought must belong to Rodolphus Lestrange.


Harry heard the back door slam open. “He’s not in the back,” bellowed a male’s high-pitched nasal voice, which Harry didn’t recognize.


“Would you all please be quiet,” Malfoy snapped. “We are trying to sneak up on him.”


Harry stood frozen at the bottom of the stairs, only a wall hiding him from the view of the inner circle Death Eaters. He quickly threw on the Invisibility Cloak and started to inch his way back up the stairs. His mind was racing over possible escape plans. He couldn’t Apparate out. Like most wizard houses, there were Anti-Apparition charms around the perimeter. He had seen enough people make Portkeys; he vaguely wondered if he could do it, but rejected the idea as being far too dangerous to try. He was left with precious few options but to try and hide until they gave up and left.


He was still slowly backing up the stairs as the hall door opened and a tall blond head poked through. Harry froze, seeing Lucius Malfoy staring directly at him. Lucius gave no hint that he saw him, as Harry was still concealed by the Invisibility Cloak. The others joined Malfoy in the hall. Still unwilling to move, Harry stood two steps from the second floor landing.


“He’s not on the first floor either,” the man Harry thought was Rodolphus stated. “He must be upstairs.” He pointed at Bellatrix to start towards the staircase.


“That or the elf lied to us,” Malfoy retorted. “I have never trusted that creature.”


“You never trusted the creature Kreacher,” Bellatrix laughed. “Oh, Lucius you have such a way with words.” Malfoy rolled his eyes.


How did Kreacher tell them? Harry didn’t have time to ponder the question as Bellatrix and the man Harry didn’t recognize started to walk slowly towards the stairs. He carefully took a step back, trying to avoid pulling the bottom edge of the Cloak up to reveal his trainers.


It’d be nice to have Ron here to help me figure out a way to get out of this. He stepped on the landing.


CREAK.


To Harry it sounded as loud as a cannon being fired. He watched as four pairs of eyes looked directly at the place he stood. He held his breath, trying not to move. He waited for several very long seconds, watching the four black-robed figures just stare at the place where he stood.


“What do you think?” questioned the unknown Death Eater.


“One way to find out,” Bellatrix replied. “Stupefy!”


A red beam of light shot from the end of her wand. Bellatrix had moved slowly, however, and Harry was able to jump out of the way. He landed on the second floor landing and rolled as a second and third spell were fired at him.


“Remember, he is to be taken alive,” shouted Malfoy.


Harry, still somewhat entangled in the Cloak, was unable to get to his feet quickly. He fired a Stunner as he tried to get up, but missed badly. A Bludgeoning Hex hit him on the side and sent him flying into a wall. He landed with a thud and knew that at least one rib was broken.


He tried to crawl away, but was hit by a Cutting Curse that sliced down his back. He gasped in pain. He thought he heard a door slam downstairs. His vision was becoming blurred; the pain of breathing was overwhelming.


A hooded figure walked slowly up the staircase, smiling malevolently at him. “Petrificus Totalus!” Bellatrix exclaimed. Harry’s body instantly went rigid. Falling to the side, he landed on his right side, sending new waves of pain through his already broken rib, but allowing him a full view of the hall at the bottom of the stairs. He heard the bark of a small dog coming from downstairs and then the hallway door slowly opened.


The two Death Eaters at the bottom of the stairs whirled around, wands at the ready. However, they didn’t see a man stalk in; a white and auburn Jack Russell terrier came bounding through the door and began racing around the room.


The Death Eaters were frozen for a second, then started laughing as the terrier continued its run, darting from wall to wall and back again. The laughter soon stopped. From the opposite side of the hall, a great black bear stormed in, teeth bared and growling menacingly. It lunged at the closest person, Rodolphus Lestrange, picked the man up in its massive paws, and threw him into the wall, his head striking it with a sickening crack. He would not move again.


Shocked by the arrival of this terrifying creature, Lucius never realized that the dog had stopped darting to and fro. Instead, it stood directly behind him, transforming back into a tall and gangly red-headed boy.


“Stupefy,” Ron whispered, and Malfoy collapsed onto the floor.


Harry was dumbfounded by the sight of a wild bear entering the house, and then seeing his best friend appear and Stun Malfoy. He watched as Ron and the bear started to move for the stairs. Bellatrix and the unknown Death Eater began firing spells as they both leapt out of view.


Bellatrix seemed more confident now and started moving back towards the stairs. As she did, Harry caught sight of a large gray owl flying directly at her. The owl attacked the black haired woman with its talons, scratching and clawing. Lestrange screamed in pain as one of her eyes was gouged, blood starting to stream from the wound. She batted the bird, finally making contact and sending it hard into the railing.


By this time, the third Death Eater was lying, Stunned and bound, at the base of the staircase. Harry watched in amazement as a small red and orange cat quickly and agilely bounded up the stairs.


Bellatrix didn’t seem to notice as she attempted to fire hexes and curses at Ron and the bear, who again found cover. The little cat slipped past her and made straight for Harry. Harry recognized it as his cat from school. The cat ran up to him, licked his face gently and walked back behind his head.


Harry was quickly losing his battle to stay conscious, but he fought to try and get his brain to start working properly. The panic he felt had diminished considerably and now he just felt woozy.


He felt movement behind him and suddenly a small hand was placed on his shoulder. “Finite Incantatem,” was whispered and Harry felt himself able to move again.


He turned quickly, feeling his ribs protest painfully, and looked into a pair of determined brown eyes belonging to Ginny Weasley.


Bellatrix must have caught the movement behind her, because she turned at almost the same time as Harry. “Crucio!” she bellowed, and Ginny was hit by the curse. She fell back, screaming and writhing in pain.


Harry’s mind instantly snapped into action. He twisted, ignoring the pain of his ribs and shouted, “Stupefy!” The Stunner hit Lestrange with the force of a freight train, sending her careening over the railing of the stairwell; she nearly landed on top of her husband.


Ginny whimpered a bit and slowly began to move as Harry crawled over to her. She lay there for a few moments, seemingly gathering herself, shivering slightly, as the pain slowly subsided.


“Hermione, get in here. Ginny, Harry and Luna are hurt,” Ron shouted from the base of the stairs. He then raced up to check on his friends, Neville hot on his heels.


Hermione dashed up the stairs and saw Ron standing over Ginny and Harry, while Neville cradled the owl in his arms. Hermione went to Neville first. Neville laid the owl on the floor, and Hermione whispered an incantation which shot a blue-white light from the end of her wand. Before his eyes, Harry watched as the owl became Luna, lying motionless on the floor.


“She’s breathing, but unconscious. We need to get back and get some help,” Hermione exclaimed in a slightly panicked voice. “Neville, can you Apparate back to Lion’s Watch and get help? Tell them to get Madam Pomfrey. We will be along in a couple of minutes.”


Neville got up and ran out of the house. Ron came alongside Hermione as she knelt down next to Harry and Ginny. Ginny was pale but breathing easily; Harry was also pale, but was having trouble getting his wind.


“She hit Ginny with the Cruciatus,” Harry gasped. “Make sure she’s all right.”


“I’m fine, Harry,” Ginny breathed. “Just sore. What about you?”


“I’m fine,” Harry lied, trying to get to his feet. “How did you all get here?”


“Later! We need to get both of you back to the house,” Ron cut him off. “Harry, can you walk?”


“I think so.” He shakily got to his feet, as did Ginny. They both leaned heavily on Ron. Hermione gently levitated Luna in front of them, and they made their way back out of the house, leaving the crumpled forms of four Death Eaters behind. When they reached the street, Ron Side-Along-Apparated Ginny and Harry, while Hermione did so for Luna.
++++++


It was semi-controlled bedlam when they returned to the house. Madam Pomfrey, along with Professor McGonagall, was attempting to control the adults, who had no idea what was happening. The first sight of Ron helping Ginny and Harry into the house did nothing to assuage the chaos.


“Oh good heavens!” Mrs. Weasley shrieked. “What in the world is going on?” She raced over to help Ron with Ginny, while Mr. Weasley helped Harry. Ron, looking pale and tired from carrying most of Harry’s and Ginny’s weight, walked over to a chair and collapsed.


“There will be time enough for explanations later,” Madam Pomfrey declared. “Molly, take Ginny into the parlour. I will examine them in there.” Madam Pomfrey bustled off down the hall.
+++++++


It was after dinner before some sense of normalcy returned to the house. Madam Pomfrey had checked over the injuries of all the young people and helped what she could. Luna was the most badly injured. She had another concussion, a dislocated shoulder, and a broken leg, wrist, and upper arm. She was in her room resting comfortably now, but every couple of hours someone had to go in and wake her.


Harry had two broken ribs to go along with a fracture in his left ankle, and a long deep gash down his back. He too had a slight concussion”although not as bad as Luna’s”which left him with a lingering headache all afternoon.


Ginny was sore all over, but had no external damage. The Cruciatus Curse had been lifted quickly, so there was no risk of mental damage either. She was just extremely stiff, like she had just been through a strenuous workout without stretching first.


Ron and Neville both had numerous cuts and bruises, but nothing more substantial. Hermione was the only one totally unharmed.


Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville all sat quietly in the game room, waiting for Harry to react to what he had seen that day. Harry sat across the room pondering that very question. Finally, he rose and stood gingerly by the fireplace.


“So, how long have you all been Animagi?” Harry almost whispered.


Hermione spoke up, her head held in a dignified manner. “Since late September. At least that is when we all were able to complete the transformation. Ginny and I were able to do it first. Ron, Neville, and Luna managed right after that.”


“Who knows?”


“Just us. McGonagall and I talked about human transfiguration this summer, but she doesn’t know that I was trying to teach myself and the rest of us.” Hermione stood and walked over next to Harry.


He moved away from her. “Why didn’t you tell me?”


“You’re joking, right?” Ginny interjected. “Would you have let us come if you knew? You would have completely shut us out. We knew you would find some way to try and keep us out of this search so we found a way to make sure you couldn’t.”


“And almost got yourselves killed in the process!” Harry glared at Ginny.


“You’d be dead if we hadn’t done it!” Ginny glared back. “Who do you think called Dobby when you collapsed just inside the gates at Hogwarts? Who do you think was watching out for you when you went to get the cup? You aren’t alone in all this. You have never been alone, not since you entered our lives.”


“Harry, we did it to help you,” Neville stated timidly.


Harry was exasperated by all this new information. He couldn’t believe that his friends had managed to do this behind his back. He thought back to the night he went to get the cup. The owl he heard, the small animal that had scurried off the porch as he went out through the front door”he had been under the watchful eyes of his friends the whole time.


Harry stood in silence for several minutes. He wanted to be angry at his friends for deceiving him. He wanted to be angry about having “minders” like he had had during the summer before his fifth year. He wanted to scream and yell at them about trust and betrayal. The problem was that he didn’t feel like doing it. He was happy”happy that they cared enough about him to spend the time necessary to learn the Animagus transformation. He was happy that they didn’t leave him alone to fight this battle”that no matter how bad it got, or how stupid he was, they would always be at his side.


He felt the sting in his eyes that meant tears were trying to form. He quickly turned from his friends and swiped at his eyes. “So that was what you and Ron were doing in the garden all summer?” he asked, turning back around.


“Yeah, well, most of the time,” Hermione said, a slight blush forming on her cheeks.


“I thought you were just snogging the whole time,” Harry smirked. The tension in the room seemed to instantly fade, and everyone let out a breath they hadn’t realized they were holding.


“So you’re all right with this?” Hermione questioned, still looking apprehensive and slightly pink.


“Yeah, I think so. I need you all and it looks like you are going to help me no matter what I say. I won’t make you stay behind anymore.”


“Finally,” Ron sighed. “Glad that’s finally settled.”


“Ron, sorry about this morning. I shouldn’t have jumped to the wrong conclusion,” Harry apologized. Ron simply waved him off.


“If I would have walked up on the conversation, but it was between you and Ginny, I may have thought the same thing.”


Harry pondered the conversation again as Neville got up. “I’m going to go check on Luna. See you all in the morning.”


Hermione had returned to her seat next to Ron, where she was now leaning against him with his arm around her shoulder. Harry looked at her puzzled. “Hermione, why didn’t you transform today?”


Hermione sifted slightly on the couch. “Well, Harry, that was what Ron and I were discussing this morning. For the last couple of weeks I haven’t been able to make the transformation. I think today I figured out why.”


“Really?” Ron exclaimed.


“Yeah, while we were at Regulus’s house, I sent a message to Tonks telling her that she and some Aurors needed to come there right away. I was hoping that we could be gone by the time they got there, but I wasn’t sure we could handle the situation when we saw the Death Eaters. When I sent the message, I found out why I haven’t been able to transform. My Patronus has changed.”


Ron looked dumbstruck and Harry’s eyes were wide. Ginny, however, looked like she already knew the answer. Ron spoke first. “What is it?”


Hermione slowly withdrew her wand and conjured her new Patronus. The image of small silvery dog appeared and began prancing around the room. Ron smiled widely back at his fiancée.


Harry and Ginny quickly made eye contact, and mutually decided it was time to leave the two love birds. They walked out, seemingly unnoticed by the young couple sitting on the couch.
++++++


A/N: Well I hope that was a satisfying chapter, to reveal many of the secrets of this story. I hope you all were able to figure out that Ginny was an Animagus, but not they all were. Many of you speculated that Ginny was the cat, so to you, GREAT JOB! Let me know what you think.


A special thanks to cableguysmom and Kerrbear for all their work on this story. As always great thanks need to go to my two betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. I couldn’t do it with out you ladies.


Up next, Harry comes to a realization about Ginny and we go back to school. Wondering if Harry will ever clean out the box of junk Abe gave in several chapters ago?
Changes by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse.
+++++


Dawn broke over Lion’s Watch, and Harry knew it was time to face some difficult conversations. The night before, they had all left the game room in relative peace, the events and injuries of the day still fresh in everyone’s minds. Harry knew, however, that today would have to be a day of explanations. He wearily got dressed and went down to the dining room


The room was empty, as it usually was that early in the morning. Harry walked towards the kitchen door and went in. Sitting at the smaller, private dining table, were Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, along with Tonks and Remus. They seemed to be deep in a serious discussion, and Harry quickly made to exit the room.


“Oh, Harry, just the young man we needed to talk to,” Mr. Weasley said a little too brightly.


Harry cringed, knowing that they would want answers about the previous day’s exploits, but he was unsure how much he could tell them. He smiled shyly at the four adults and took a seat at the table. “Good morning.”


They sat there for a moment as Tinky silently placed a cup of coffee in front of Harry. Tonks was the first to speak. “Harry, I thought you may want to know this; um, we got to Lancaster a few minutes after you got back here, from what Remus has told me. The bodies of Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange were recovered. Lucius Malfoy and a bloke named Phil Farmer are in custody.”


Harry’s head began to spin. He was responsible for the death of Bellatrix Lestrange, and as far as he could tell, Neville had killed her husband.


“What were you doing there?” Mr. Weasley asked.


Harry noticed how pale and tired he looked; he could tell that the eldest Weasley was having difficulty with the war in general. He had lost Percy”or at least they didn’t know where he was”and then yesterday his son had been injured and his daughter had been hit with an Unforgivable Curse. Harry didn’t know what to say.


“We were doing what Dumbledore asked us to do,” he stated, unwilling to look either Mr. or Mrs. Weasley in the eyes. “He gave me a mission and I have to finish it before the war can end.”


“Harry, we want to help you. Why can’t you tell us what’s going on?” Remus questioned.


Harry found a spot on the table to stare at, refusing to look up. He could hear the emotion in the voice of his former professor but couldn’t break his promise to Dumbledore not to tell anyone. Dumbledore had involved his friends, but Harry had promised not to reveal the truth about the Horcruxes or the prophecy to anyone else, and he was going to honor that.


“Dumbledore told me not to tell. It would put you all in greater danger if you knew anything about it.”


“But you told Ron, Ginny, and the others,” Mr. Weasley replied. Harry could see the strain in his eyes. He thought that Mr. Weasley was trying desperately to hold it together and not lash out at him.


Shifting uncomfortably in his chair, Harry continued, “Dumbledore involved them. I tried to keep them out of it to protect them, and not let them be part of this, but they wouldn’t listen. Mr. Weasley, Mrs. Weasley, I am sorry. I didn’t want to put them in danger.”


Mrs. Weasley, who was strangely quiet and had refused to look at Harry, finally broke down. She started to cry. Mr. Weasley put a comforting hand on her shoulder, but Harry could see the tears building in his eyes as well.


Remus started again, “Harry, we trust you, we don’t want anything to happen to you or to the others”that’s why we need to know what’s going on.”


“Remus, I know.” Harry began to get frustrated at having to go over the same ground again. “I wish I could tell you, but I just can’t. I wish I could just do this by myself; I tried, but I can’t. I need them to help me, and I need you all to believe me that I won’t put them or myself in any unnecessary danger. But what we have to do is going to be dangerous.”


Harry continued to stare at the table as the oppressive silence began to weigh down everyone in the room. “Mrs. Weasley, I am truly sorry for doing this to your family.” Harry got up to leave.


He was surprised by the loud scraping of a chair behind him. He turned and was engulfed by a Weasley hug to rival any he had received before. Mrs. Weasley was still crying as she embraced Harry with all her might.


“Harry James Potter, I don’t ever want to hear you say that again. You have done nothing to this family except help, support and protect it. We love you as one of our own. Whatever you need to do, we’ll help you in anyway we can.”


She was joined by Mr. Weasley, who placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder and smiled.


“Oy, mum, you keep hugging him like that, people are going to start thinking you fancy him!” Ron announced as he walked into the kitchen. “Is breakfast ready?”


Harry blushed at the comment while Mr. Weasley, Remus, and Tonks all shared a brief chuckle. Mrs. Weasley, however, was not pleased. She turned, her eyes still bright from her tears, hands on her hips, red beginning to build in her face. “Well, Ronald, care to explain to me why you were up ‘til three in the morning with Hermione?” Harry knew that they hadn’t been up to anything and suspected that Mrs. Weasley knew that as well; she was just trying to take the mickey out of her youngest son.


It worked, as Ron turned bright red and began stammering something in the way of a reply.


Hermione walked into the kitchen just as it seemed Ron was going to explode. “We were just talking, Mrs. Weasley,” she declared confidently, taking a seat where Harry had been sitting and taking a drink of his coffee, which he hadn’t touched.


“Of course you were, dear, I was just checking with Ron,” Mrs. Weasley replied, smirking at her son, while she wiped a few stray tears from her eyes. She then walked over, gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and promptly sent them all out to the main dining room for a proper breakfast.


An hour later, everyone but Luna and Ginny were up and had finished eating. Harry left the house, wanting to go to his parents’ old home one last time before he returned to school. He wanted to look around a bit more, since he really hadn’t had a chance to yet.


He walked into the front room of the house and started looking around. He had seen the pictures before, had walked in all the rooms, and had looked at the furniture, but it didn’t lessen the emotion he felt being there. He simply walked from room to room, thinking of the memories he could have had growing up in this house. The emotions were not completely sad, nor were they completely happy; they were a mixture of joy at the love that was evident on his parents’ faces in each of the pictures, and sorrow for not having them to share his life with now.


In the den, sitting on his father’s desk was a small photo Harry hadn’t noticed before. It was of his father and mother. They were standing in front of the main house, the fountain with Gryffindor’s lion in the background. James was nearly glowing with pride as he stood there, one arm wrapped around Lily’s shoulder. His other was hand patting a very round belly. She was obviously well into her pregnancy with Harry.


Harry stared at the picture for a very long time, thinking of the love his parents must have had for each other, and for him. Once again, he felt his eyes welling up and growled in annoyance. After what seemed like hours, he left the house, taking the picture with him. He had a couple of things to take care of before they left for school that afternoon.


He walked quickly towards the main house, pushing the flying motorcycle along with him. He stopped in front of the fountain. Closing his mental walls and focusing his mind, he felt for Ginny’s presence. He smiled when he realized that not only could he feel her presence, but that he could pinpoint her in the house. She was on the third floor, in Luna’s bedroom.


He gently brushed her mind with his own. He felt the change in her emotional state, from one of calm to one of slight confusion. He allowed his mind to brush a little harder this time. She was aware something going on but she didn’t seem to be able to put her finger on it. Harry grinned to himself.


Morning Ginny, he thought.


Harry felt a burst of excitement working its way through her. He liked the feeling it gave her, and that excitement trickled down to him as well.


Come flying with me? The excitement level rose.


Harry waited for several minutes, sensing her movement through the house before she finally emerged through the front door.


“Harry, that’s just really cool!” she exclaimed as she approached him. She noticed the bike and had a look of both anticipation and apprehension on her face.


“So, you up to giving this thing a go?” Harry asked, smiling broadly.


She shifted from one foot the other, biting her bottom lip. “Harry, are you sure you know how to ride this thing?”


“Of course. Hagrid showed me a few days ago. Of course, if you’d rather not””


He didn’t get to finish the sentence as she jumped on the back of bike with a squeal. Harry got on in front of her and started the engine. Ginny wrapped her arms around his waist and as they started rolling slowly forward, he felt her arms tighten slightly. Suddenly he accelerated and took off, feeling the satisfying squeeze of Ginny’s arms around his chest.


He could tell, without touching her mind, that she was thrilled with the ride. They rose almost to the clouds and then dipped back down towards the main house. This was better than a broom, since the seat was softer, and it was probably faster. This would be his standard mode of transportation in the future, he decided.


They flew above the grounds of Lion’s Watch for an hour. They saw Ron and Hermione at their new favorite spot, by the pond. They watched as birds soared next to them over the tree tops. Harry took them to the very edge of the property, which was miles in every direction, showing her the different sights of his estate.


Finally, they landed on the path that led to his parents’ old house. They rolled to a stop, and Harry reluctantly allowed Ginny to step off the bike. She seemed a little uneasy on her feet, getting used to standing on the ground again.


Harry looked at her. Her cheeks were flushed, her hair extremely windswept and her eyes shone. Wow, he thought.


Ginny’s head snapped up with a smile. “What’s wow?” she questioned playfully.


Harry blushed a bit but didn’t take his eyes off her. “Ginny, I need to ask you something. Well, tell you something, really.” He began to blush even more.


Ginny stepped closer to him, taking on a very serious expression. “What is it, Harry?”


Harry felt his stomach flip and the beast in his chest roared. “Ginny, I just wanted to tell…”


“Harry, Ginny, hey, where have you two been?” Ron bellowed from behind them. “Mum has been looking all over the place for you two; we have to get going. The Portkey is set for ten minutes from now.”


Harry couldn’t have been more frustrated at that moment. He wanted to go throttle his best friend. Ginny seemed to find his consternation humorous and simply grinned at him. “My brother does have wonderful timing, doesn’t he?”


“Yeah,” Harry growled. “Look, I really need to talk to you.”


“Later; we need to get going, but trust me, later you can tell me whatever you want.” She turned to go, allowing her hand to brush his knee. She then started to jog back towards the main house. “Hurry up and put the bike away, Harry, we don’t want to miss the Portkey.”


Harry, grumbling the entire way, rode back to his parents’ house. He had wanted to show Ginny the house, if she could see it”if the Fidelius Charm had been undone. Unfortunately, he had only thought of that this morning.


He put the bike away and stalked back to the main house. He made it with about a minute to spare. Glaring at Ron, he placed his hand on an old picture frame and felt the tugging behind his navel as he and the others were whisked back to Hogwarts.
++++++


Harry’s day, which had started so wonderfully, had become maddeningly frustrating by that evening.


They arrived in Hogwarts, and Ginny, along with Hermione, Ron, and Luna, had been ordered away to help with the arrival of students back from the Christmas holiday. They were called upon to check the rolls of who had arrived, and who, if anyone, had not returned, and to make sure they were settled back into their common rooms before dinner. This took far longer than usual, since all the new security measures in place for the school had to be followed.


Harry spent the afternoon in the common room. Neville and Parvati chatted with him for a while but it was obvious they wanted some alone time. Harry contented himself with studying Transfiguration, waiting for a chance to get Ginny alone and discuss where their relationship was and where it was going. Every so often he would check his watch and grunt in frustration, since it still didn’t work. < Grrr, why didn’t anyone get me a watch for Christmas?


He tried to escape the common room when Romilda Vane arrived with her pack of boy-crazy fifth years. Since Neville and Parvati were now an item”although Harry didn’t know how Romilda knew, for neither Parvati nor Neville had made it public”Harry seemed to be back on her list of hopeful companions.


She sidled up next to his chair, doing her best to look attractive. “Hi, Harry, have a good Christmas?” She batted her eyes and placed her hand on his shoulder.


He fought to not reflexively brush the hand away, but instead got up and stepped back towards the staircase to the boy dorms. “Hi, Romilda, yeah, Christmas was great; erm, you?” He took another step back towards the stairs but Romilda continued her advance, smiling demurely.


“Yes, Harry, I had a wonderful holiday,” she purred. “Anything new happen while you were celebrating with Ron and Ginny?” Her eyebrows rose as she said Ginny’s name. She took another step closer to him.


“Oh no”well, actually, yes”I mean…well, I need to go get ready for dinner,” he stammered. “See you later, Romilda.” He turned and was up the stairs before she could respond.


He stepped into his room, heart racing, thankful to be out of that situation. She might even be pretty if she wasn’t so aggressive, but, “bwww,” he mumbled with a full body shiver. He stepped over to his bed and noted the time on his clock. 4:15. “Great, still forty-five minutes ‘til dinner, and now I’m stuck in this room.” He flung himself on his bed and tried to relax.


A few minutes later, a thought came to him. He sat up in his bed and raised his walls. He had intended to reach out to Ginny, but as his mental barriers rose and his focus sharpened, for the first time he noticed a faint red glow from the corner by his trunk.


He jumped off the bed and walked over to investigate. He found the box of Black family trinkets, which Aberforth had given him weeks ago. Harry knelt down and picked the box up. Walking over to the bed, he placed it gently on the mattress, as if there was something delicate in it that hadn’t been there before, when he had unceremoniously dropped it in his room.


He began sorting through the contents of the box. He found assorted bits of silver cutlery, golden goblets and plates, and a pewter picture frame, without a picture in it. He reverently placed each item on the bed as he removed it from the box. He wasn’t sure why he was being so gentle, but that just seemed to be what he needed to do.


It took only a few minutes to find the source of the red glow. He tentatively pulled out a heavy locket. It looked just like the one he had seen in the memories he and Dumbledore had witnessed the previous year. In his hand was Slytherin’s locket.


He stumbled back, still holding it in front of his eyes, before finally coming to rest on Ron’s bed. This was the Horcrux Dumbledore had died for. The emotion of that fact was threatening to overwhelm Harry as thoughts of that horrible night raced through his mind.


Neville walked into the room. “Hiya, Harry,” he announced amicably.


“Shhhh,” Harry responded, without looking away from the locket.


“Okay,” Neville replied in a whisper. “What’s that?”


“A Horcrux,” Harry whispered in response.


“Why are we whispering?” Neville questioned, still not daring speak at a normal voice.


“What? Oh sorry, Neville,” Harry said, shaking his head, as if to clear it. “Just sort of got caught up in the moment. This is the locket that Regulus Black took”the one I was hoping to find in Lancaster.”


“It was in our room the whole time?” Neville queried. “Why didn’t we know?”


Harry was beginning to feel very foolish over having not investigated the box sooner. He had had it for months and had simply forgotten it was there. He had risked his friends’ lives and his own on a useless trip to Lancaster when the answer was sitting in his room.


“Harry?” Neville whispered. “You okay? I mean, it’s good news that we found it, right?”


“Yeah, I was just thinking about how stupid I was for not having found it earlier,” Harry replied guiltily.


“Oh, don’t worry about that. I do stuff like that all the time. One time Gran sent me this Pumpkin Pasty and I didn’t””


“Thanks, Neville,” Harry cut in. “I appreciate your support.” He really did appreciate Neville trying to make him feel better, but was not interested in hearing about some pastry that went unfound for months, at least not right before dinner.


“So, what do we do? Do we destroy it like last time?”


“That seems like a good idea. We’ll meet in the Room of Requirement after dinner. You don’t have any plans with Parvati do you?”


“No, she needs to work on homework. I do too for that matter, but this is more important,” Neville stated, pride filling his eyes.


Harry waited another twenty minutes before Ron entered the room. He smiled tiredly at Harry. “Good grief! That was a pain. I’ve never seen such chaos in my life. Getting all of us to the train station was mild compared to that.”


Harry didn’t respond. He sat on his bed looking pleased.


“Harry, didn’t you hear me? I said that was really… Hey, listen…” Ron finally got fed up and threw a pillow at his friend. The pillow made contact with Harry’s head and he toppled over.


“Hey, what was that for?” he grumbled.


“Because you weren’t listening to me,” Ron growled back, a smirk beginning to break out on his face.


Harry threw the pillow back at Ron, but he easily ducked it. “Sorry I wasn’t listening; I was just talking to Hermione.” He smiled broadly at Ron’s reaction.


Ron’s eyes widened and he began to open his mouth and close it without sound coming out. Finally he was able to formulate words. “How were you talking with Hermione?”


“I can project words into her mind. At least I can now; this was the first time I’ve been able to do it. I told her I needed her to come up here as soon as she could, Ginny too.”


Ron looked extremely confused by all this. “So you can talk to people, in their heads?”


“Yeah, it’s worked only on Ginny, and now Hermione, but if I practice, I bet I could even talk to you, Neville and Luna.”


“Wicked,” Ron responded, his face changing from confusion to glee. “Try me.”


“Okay.” Harry focused on Ron. “You’re a git.”


“Am not,” Ron bellowed, grabbing another pillow.


Hermione and Ginny walked in just as Harry fired a pillow back towards Ron.


“Male bonding, how adorable!” Ginny proclaimed.


“Harry, how did you do that? I was just sitting in my room and all of a sudden I heard your voice in my head,” Hermione questioned, obviously impressed.


“It’s part of the connection I have with you all. I can sort of talk to you through my mind.”


“So, you have gotten that strong?” Hermione was looking at him in wonder. It made Harry feel a bit uneasy.


“Hey, Harry, this could really come in handy during Potions,” Ron announced.


“It most certainly will not, Ronald,” Hermione rebuked him. “Harry, you must not abuse this ability.”


“Hermione, you know that he would never do something like that,” Ginny interjected.


“Thanks, Ginny,” Harry smiled. “So, back to why I told you I needed to talk with you. I found Slytherin’s locket.” He pulled it out of his pocket and held it up for all to see.


Hermione quickly turned and locked the door, then placed a Silencing Charm on it. “Harry, don’t go announcing things like that without taking precautions.”


“Er, right, thanks,” Harry stammered. He hadn’t really thought he needed to take precautions like that at Hogwarts but he figured she was probably right. “So here it is. We didn’t need to go to Lancaster. It was in the box that Abe gave me a couple of months ago.” He held the locket out, but they all seemed unwilling to touch it.


“Harry, didn’t you mention that Professor Dumbledore had told Aberforth, he thought there was something important in that box?” Hermione asked.


Harry was once again astonished by the memory of his bushy-haired friend. “Yes, he did.”


Hermione seemed to ponder this for a few seconds. “Something about that is strange, but I just can’t put my finger on it.” She took a seat on Ron’s bed and seemed to be deep in thought.


Ginny took the locket, weighing it in her hand. She too seemed to be pondering something. This left Ron and Harry to just stand there feeling lost and out of the loop. After thirty seconds, Ginny finally spoke. “Do you remember when we were cleaning Headquarters a couple of summers ago?”


“You mean the summer when Harry was really moody and all filled with angst?” Ron answered.


“Thanks, Ron,” Harry responded dryly.


“That’s the one!” Ginny exclaimed. “I think we found this locket. It’s the one we couldn’t open.”


Harry and Ron looked stunned. Ginny looked extremely pleased with herself. Hermione looked as if she hadn’t even heard.


“What do we do with it?” Ron asked, coming back to the main subject.


“Tonight, in the Room of Requirement,” Harry responded. “We’ll take care of it then.”


“Great! Well, since we aren’t doing anything now, let’s get something to eat,” Ron announced, getting up.


“You two go ahead,” Harry remarked, suddenly feeling nervous. “Ginny, could you stay for a second?” Ginny nodded silently.


Ron looked like he was going to protest leaving Ginny in Harry’s room, but Hermione quickly marched him towards the door. “We’ll wait for you in the common room. Don’t take too long, though.”


She took the enchantment off the door and unlocked it. Once they had both gone, Harry turned back to Ginny, who was smiling at him. He blushed. Did it just get warm in here?


“Well, what would you like to talk about? I don’t think Hermione will let us stay in here more than a couple of minutes,” Ginny declared.


Harry was feeling much more nervous, now that he was alone with her. He went to his pack and took out the picture of his mother and father. He looked at it again. Why is this so bloody hard? He stepped back in front of her. “Ginny, I need to talk to you.”


Ginny shifted from one foot to another. She smiled gently at him. “You said that, Harry.”


Harry nervously grasped and regrasped the picture in his hand. “Right, um, I said that…I mean...” Have her eyes always been that brown? “I wanted to tell you something.”


Ginny stood, waiting patiently for him.


Harry had had an entire speech ready to go for this moment, and now the words simply would not come. He had thought for months about how he would ask her to rekindle their relationship. He had dared to imagine it being after the final confrontation with Voldemort, but here he was. He was going to try and start a relationship with her again and he had no idea what to say.


His mouth went dry and his brain seemed to have completely shut down. Finally, after what seemed like days, but was in truth only a few seconds, he grasped upon something that Abe had told him during the summer.


“I wanted to say that… you’re worth it.”


Harry had contemplated numerous responses that Ginny could have had when he told her he wanted them to get back together. Although he was vaguely aware that she probably didn’t know all that the words ‘you’re worth it’ meant to him, she could probably figure out that he wanted to go back out with her. He was not prepared for the reaction he got.


The color in Ginny’s cheeks went from a gentle, natural flushed pink, to a vibrant red. Tears leapt to her eyes as her hands came to her mouth, muffling a strangled squeal.


Harry panicked, thinking that somehow he had done something terribly wrong. He, however, did not have time to try and make amends. Before he could say another word, she raced through the door and down the stairs.
++++++++


A/N: I certainly hope you liked this one. Harry seems to have finally realized the being with Ginny is worth the risk of losing her in the war. Isn’t that sweet. I really enjoyed working on this one. Great thanks go out to Kerrbear and Cableguysmom for all their help, and to my wonderful betas Ginny Guerra and JenC for all the long hours they spend making this presentable. Thanks ladies, I couldn’t do it with out you.


Up next, we see why Ginny ran out of the room, a trip in another housed common room and a Weasley returns.
Worth It by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse.
++++++


To say that Harry was confused by Ginny’s response to his words would be the understatement of the year. He didn’t understand why she ran out of his room, why she had tears in her eyes, nor why she had blushed.


For Harry, the words wrapped up everything he felt for her: the love that had blossomed during the months since their breakup, and the longing he had to be with her, to stand with her to face the future. It didn’t matter to him what that future held as long as she was part of it. It meant that being with her, allowing himself to love her, was worth the risk of losing her in the war.


Months ago Abe had explained that Professor Dumbledore made a choice to not be in a relationship with a woman he loved because he wanted to protect her. He had decided that being with her was not worth the risk of having his heart broken if something happened to her. She had died while he was fighting Grindelwald.


Harry, after several long months of fighting it, had finally come to the realization that Ginny was indeed worth it. She was worth all the risks.


But she can’t know what that meant, can she? he wondered, his mind racing over the image of her running out of the room. His heart had plummeted into somewhere just below the floor, and he had no idea what he had done or what to do now.


Focusing his mind on Ginny, he instantly felt a well of emotion. The feelings, however, were jubilant, not upset or angry. This fact confused Harry even more. Ginny? He attempted to make contact with her. He could tell she was in her room now, her feelings of joy being replaced by a panicked feeling that Harry became concerned over.


Ginny, do you” His thought was cut off. He distinctly heard Ginny’s voice in his head.


Stay there! This statement was followed by another few seconds of frantic feelings. Suddenly, relief and happiness seemed to mix, and the joy that filled Ginny was greater than he could ever remember feeling in her before.


He kept up the link, focused on her, and felt her moving from the girls’ end of the tower to the boys’ end. He felt her rush up the steps and then she was just outside the door. The door burst open, and Ginny was in his arms. They hugged there for a few moments before she pulled away”reluctantly, it seemed to Harry. She handed him a small box wrapped in blue paper with a bow on top. It looked as if it had been opened before and then hastily rewrapped.


“Erm, Ginny, thanks?” Harry was bemused, but took the box and read the card. Happy Birthday, Harry. He was more confused than ever.


“Open it,” she urged.


Harry started unwrapping the present very carefully. He had still not quite got the hang of opening presents with the exuberance that the Weasleys always showed. Once the paper was cleared away, he found himself holding a small box. He lifted the lid and found a new watch. The band was leather, while the face was a deep violet. The housing was silver.


It was a beautiful watch, and Harry was highly appreciative, since his watch didn’t work, but he was still confused by all this. “Thanks, Ginny…um, can we finish what we were talking about?”


“Turn it over,” Ginny exclaimed excitedly.


He slowly turned the watch onto its face. There, etched into the silver back in a stylized script, were the words, You’re Worth It. Harry finally understood. He looked over at Ginny, a mixture of surprise and joy crossing his face.


“I heard you and Abe talking the night of your birthday. I had gotten you the watch, and I was going to surprise you with it before you went to bed. Then I heard what you said. I decided to magically engrave the watch that night,” Ginny explained as they moved to sit on Harry’s bed.


“Why didn’t you give it to me?”


“I needed you to tell me first,” Ginny confided, turning away from Harry for the first time. “I knew that if I told you that night, we probably would have gotten together, but you would have pushed me away again the next time something went wrong.”


Harry blushed, realizing that she was exactly right.


“So I decided to wait until you told me first. Until you made the first move.” She was smiling at him now, and Harry’s heart leapt.


They sat there for a few moments, just enjoying the feeling of being with each other. Harry had put his arm around Ginny holding her in a loose hug as they sat together. He slowly leaned towards her, nervously. Why am I nervous? We’ve kissed before, he thought.


Their lips met and it felt like something in each of them burst. Harry felt his heart rate increase dramatically and the heat build up in his cheeks. The intensity of the kiss was greater than any Harry had felt before. It was over much too quickly for his liking.


They broke apart, both attempting to catch their breath. “Wow,” was all Harry could say. Ginny nodded in agreement. Ron came bursting into the room as they started to get up.


“What in blazes is going on up here?” he bellowed. “Hermione and I have been waiting, then we see Ginny race back to her room and then back up here again. Now you two are just sitting up here?”


“Ron,” Hermione said, smacking his arm to get his attention. She pointed at Harry and Ginny’s interlaced fingers. Ron stared for a second and then recognition broke out on his face. “You two finally work it out?”


“Yeah, Harry finally made his move.” Ginny beamed.


Harry looked somewhat embarrassed by the “finally,” but decided to let it go. He was beyond happy to be holding hands with Ginny again. “Let’s go downstairs and eat.” He grabbed his new watch and put it on. He took the old one and placed it on the nightstand. Then, holding hands with Ginny, he walked out of the room with Ron and Hermione behind them. They just heard Ron from behind muttering something about “it’s about time”.


Yes it is, Harry mused, and the beast in his chest purred contentedly.
++++++


Dinner that evening was a festive affair as three couples sat around and chatted merrily. Neville and Parvati, Ron and Hermione, and Harry and Ginny all enjoyed a glorious meal.


Ron and Hermione spent the evening alternately discussing the merits of pursuing elf rights and the latest new broom that was supposed to replace the Firebolt as the fastest broom in the world. Harry was amazed at how well they did that now. Ron would listen attentively and even make comments about the views Hermione had concerning S.P.E.W.”although he still referred to it as Spew.


She would listen attentively as Ron went on and on about this broom fact or how that could be the broom to put the Canons over the top. The ability of his bickering friends to be able to enjoy a conversation like this still made Harry marvel.


Ginny spent the evening trying not to giggle as Harry continually made comments in her head. By the end of the evening, it had gotten to be too much and she nearly lost herself in a fit of laughter when Harry thought something about Ernie and Lavender as they walked hand in hand out of the Great Hall.


“It wasn’t that funny,” Harry thought. She simply nodded, made eye contact with him and burst into laughter again. The rest at the table had no idea what was going on and stared wonderingly at Ginny, which made her laugh all the more.


Finally, dinner was over, and they all agreed that they needed to go to the Room of Requirement and deal with the locket. Neville walked Parvati back to Gryffindor Tower and met them on the seventh floor. They entered and once again the room had a round table for them all to sit at. Luna was the last to arrive and take her seat.


“So this was what you and Professor Dumbledore were after in the cave that night?” Ron asked.


“This is it. I’m still confused about all this though. Professor Dumbledore thought there might be something important in the box of Black family stuff, but if he knew that the locket was in the box, why did we go to the cave?” Harry questioned.


“Do you think Dumbledore knew the cave had a fake in it?” Ginny inquired.


“I don’t think so. If he did, then why go?” Harry responded. “Why go through all that?” He shuddered, remembering the potion he had fed to his old mentor.


“Professor Dumbledore must have thought there was another Horcrux there then,” Hermione interjected.


“Speaking of other Horcruxes,” Neville intoned, “do we know anything about the last one?” This was a subject that Harry had not really wanted to think about. He knew that once the last Horcrux was destroyed he would finally have to deal with Voldemort himself.


Hermione again began to speak. “Dumbledore thought it was either something from Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. The only relics of Gryffindor are the Sorting Hat and the sword. Well, the only known relics, at least. I haven’t found anything that has survived from Ravenclaw.”


“Could it be the hat or the sword?” Neville questioned.


Ron sat up in his chair. “It wouldn’t make much sense to use either of those. They are too well-known; too many people have handled them, right?”


“Well, the hat is handled a lot, but no one has touched the sword since the Chamber of Secrets,” Harry explained. Ginny lost some of the color in her face. “As far as I know, since then it has been sitting in the glass case in Dumbledore’s…I mean McGonagall’s office.”


“You could go and check it, Harry,” Neville announced.


“I don’t think it’s one, Neville, but I’ll go to McGonagall’s office tomorrow and see,” Harry replied.


“Luna,” Hermione said, “do you know anything about Ravenclaw?”


Luna seemed to be barely paying attention to the conversation, but sat up when she heard her name. She still held the dreamy expression, and her voice matched her look when she spoke. “Not really, there is a portrait of her in our common room but it doesn’t talk or anything.”


“Hey, could we get in and see the painting? Maybe we could get a clue from that?” Ron suggested.


Hermione looked doubtful. “We aren’t allowed into the other common rooms.”


“It hasn’t stopped us before.” Harry gave Hermione a knowing look.


“That’s true.” Hermione blushed. Harry knew the memory of trying to get into the Slytherin common room was not one that Hermione enjoyed.


“What if during Ravenclaw’s next Quidditch match we tried to get in? Luna could let us in, and the common room will be empty,” Ginny explained.


“Too many people, if we all try and go,” Harry responded. “I could go in and check it out. I could use the Invisibility Cloak.”


“Trying to leave us behind again,” Ginny stated, raising her eyebrow.


“Never again,” Harry replied with a grin. Ron rolled his eyes.


Luna, still seemingly barely in the conversation spoke up, “So, Harry, I’ll tell you the password in a couple of weeks from now, and you can get into the common room and look at the portrait. I don’t think it will show you much, but that’s fine.”


They all agreed that this was probably the best plan. The focus of the conversation shifted back to the locket. “So, do we do the same thing to destroy it?” Ginny questioned.


“I think so,” Harry answered. They all got up and moved behind Harry again. Harry drew out his wand and pointed it at the locket that was lying on the table. He raised his mental walls and then connected with all his friends.


Harry felt the power begin to course through him as each of his friends strengthened his own magical abilities. The feeling was the same as it had been when they destroyed the cup, but much more so now. There was a crackle like electricity as he thought the words to the incantation.


Singulus Substantia!” A burst of gold light erupted from the end of his wand. The room was quickly flooded with an intense brilliant golden glow. The locket was lifted off the table in a sphere of magical energy. Bright white cracks formed along the edges, adding their light to the light already in the room. The locket hung there suspended briefly and then exploded into thousands of small pieces, all contained in the gold sphere.


Seconds ticked by as the remains of the magical energy in the room dissipated. Finally, the sphere dissolved and the shattered locket fell onto the table. The crackling electricity in the room faded and the light returned to normal.


Harry’s friends all stood panting behind him. Harry, feeling more drained then he could imagine, took a shaky step forward and collapsed. He was unconscious before he hit the floor.
+++++++


Harry seemed to be floating in darkness. He could hear voices around him, but try as he might, he simply could not focus on any of them. His mind was unable to focus on anything besides the floating sensation. He could feel his arms and legs, but they refused to move. He attempted to speak but nothing came out. It was the strangest sensation. Nothing hurt, he just floated in nothingness.


Harry, can you hear me? The voice sounded panicked, but Harry didn’t recognize it. He heard it again; this time he could tell it was a feminine voice but nothing further.


Wake up! Come on, Harry, wake up, mate. This voice was masculine, but he still didn’t know to whom it belonged. He wondered vaguely if he should just ignore the voices all together. The floating sensation was certainly very comfortable, and there didn’t seem to be any pressure on him to leave, or act, or save the world. He felt content floating in this black void.


More voices were added to Harry’s awareness, and he began to feel uneasy about his inability to respond. One voice in particular filled him with a sudden urgency to communicate. Again he attempted to vocalize a reply to the now frantic chorus of voices. Again, nothing happened. Harry grew more and more desperate. The void, which had been so comforting, now felt claustrophobic.


A new sensation began to build within Harry’s mind. He saw a pinprick of light, seemingly in the distance. He tried to move towards it but was unable to make his body work. The sensation in his mind began to grow stronger. A feeling of longing and concern washed over him. He now was desperate to move towards the small dot of white in the distance. The more he tried to move towards it, the greater the feeling of concern grew in his mind.


Then just as suddenly as it appeared, the small bit of white vanished. Harry could again hear clearly the voices in his mind that were calling to him. He could distinguish the voices of his friends. Ginny was urgent, Ron seemed scared, Hermione must have been crying, Neville was most certainly scared, and Luna had even lost her normal dreamy tone, as they all attempted to make Harry awaken.


Harry opened his eyes, the noise of his friends’ shouts ringing in his ears. “I’m all right,” he breathed. The voices instantly stopped. Harry saw Hermione break down as Ron grabbed her into a hug. Luna and Neville both seemed to breathe sighs of relief. Ginny pounced on Harry, hugging him fiercely, nearly lying on top of him. She was crying as well.


“How long was I out?” Harry whispered. He felt very drained.


“About five minutes,” Ron said through Hermione’s hair. “We didn’t want to move you until you woke up, but we were starting to get nervous.” Ron’s pale complexion announced that he and the others had moved well past nervous before Harry regained consciousness.


“We should take him to the Hospital Wing,” Neville declared. He moved to attempt to levitate Harry out of the room.


“No, Neville, I’m fine, really.” Harry waved his hand to stop him from trying the spell. He had no desire to spend the night under the care of Madam Pomfrey. “And besides, I don’t want to have to explain what happened.”


“What did happen?” Hermione spoke for the first time. Tear streaks were clearly visible on her cheeks. “You just collapsed and didn’t respond when we called to you. You were still breathing, and it looked like you may have tried to move a couple of times.” Hermione looked close to tears again.


Harry gingerly got to his feet, still feeling weak. He could tell that he was exhausted, magically and physically, but he could also feel himself getting some of his strength back. “I passed out. I could hear you guys yelling to me, and I did try and move, but I just couldn’t manage it.” He sat in a chair.


“Do you think it was the spell that did that?” Neville asked.


“It must have been, but I don’t understand it. I would think since I am sort of feeding off you all that it would be you that blacked out, not me.” Harry rested his head on the table. Ginny sat next to him, rubbing her hand on his back.


“Hey, we need to go. It’s almost curfew,” Ron announced. “Can you make it back to the tower?”


“I’m fine. Let’s get back before we get into trouble.”


They got up to leave, Harry leaning slightly on Ginny for support. He grinned down at her. She still looked pale and concerned, but there was an undeniable twinkle in her eyes. Harry leaned down closer. “So, do I get to see my cat this evening?”


The twinkle grew and Ginny simply nodded. They made their way quickly back to Gryffindor Tower. Luna said her good-byes and jogged towards her own tower.


Once inside, the group quickly dispersed. Neville, after asking Harry once more if he was okay, moved to the far corner of the common room to spend some time with Parvati. She looked somewhat put out with his lack of attention during the evening, but a quick kiss and smile from Neville and all seemed to be forgiven. Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione sat down to study. Harry forced himself to stay awake, wanting to talk with Ginny more after everyone had gone to bed.


After an hour or so, Ginny yawned loudly, stretched and announced she was off to bed. Harry walked with her over to the staircase and gave her a quick kiss before she went up.


Later? Harry thought, focusing his mind on her. She smiled and nodded but Harry didn’t hear anything in his head. She then turned and walked up the stairs.



Hermione must have gotten some hint from Ginny’s display of going to bed because she quickly put her books away, yawned loudly, stretched, and rose to leave as well.


Ron gave her kiss. “Night, Hermione, I love you.”


Harry did a double take as he heard the words come out of Ron’s mouth. He knew that Ron loved her”he must since they were getting married”but he was not used to hearing them.


Hermione smiled. “I love you too.” And she went up the stairs.


Ron sat back in his seat. “So, you really all right?”


“Feeling a little drained but otherwise I really am fine.” Harry looked at his watch and smiled, thinking about how it was a working watch and about the inscription on the back. “So, you off to bed as well?”


“Not just yet. I want to finish this Potions essay.” Ron leaned back over his parchment and began to scribble.


“Look at you, sitting there, working diligently,” Harry started, smirking. “Hermione would be so proud.” Ron said nothing but calmly reached over, crumpled up a piece of spare parchment and threw at Harry.


They both worked for another hour, while the common room slowly became deserted. Ron, putting the finishing touches on his essay, started to pack up. As he rose from the table, he turned to Harry. “You coming?”


“Not just yet; I want to look at my Defense notes before I go to bed. I think Scurlock may give us a quiz tomorrow.”


“Okay, see you in the morning. Oh, and erm, Harry, I’m glad you and Ginny are together,” he stammered, slapping Harry on the back. “Just don’t hurt her again.”


Harry smiled but noticed just the hint of a glare in Ron’s eyes that seemed to say he was only half joking. “I’ll do my best.” Ron went to bed.


Harry sat there working for another hour. He had actually done all the work he wanted to do, but Ginny had not made it downstairs yet and he wasn’t going to miss a chance to talk with her some more. He focused on her and knew she was awake and seemed to be enjoying herself, although he didn’t know what she was doing.


He sat back on the couch, grabbed his Transfiguration book and started to read. He didn’t realize he had dozed off until a warm presence came and curled up in his lap. He startled awake, noticed the little cat in his lap and leapt off the couch. The cat was tossed into the air but agilely landed on her feet on the floor.


Harry watched as the cat changed into Ginny, who was glaring at him. “What was that for?”


“Ginny, you can’t sit with me like that,” Harry answered, embarrassed. “What if Ron or Hermione or someone were to come down?”


Ginny’s glare softened and she must have noticed his embarrassment. “You never used to mind that, and besides, Ron doesn’t know about my coming down here and Hermione wouldn’t say anything.” She smiled mischievously, reached up to him and kissed him gently.


Harry’s anxiety melted away and he enjoyed the kiss. They broke apart a few minutes later.


They sat on the couch in silence for a while, simply enjoying each other’s presence. Harry ran his fingers through her long flame-red hair, while Ginny leaned against his chest.


Harry finally broke the silence. “All those nights, I sat down here telling you things”you know, I should be mad at you for not telling me.” Harry gave a mock hurt look.


“I wanted to tell you, but Hermione wouldn’t let me. She said you’d get all mad and defensive about it. That you would’ve figured out what we were doing.”


“How did you guys do this? It took the Marauders years to get it,” Harry asked.


“They didn’t have Hermione to teach them. She wrote me about it during the summer. When she suggested it, we all jumped on the idea. Then, when Dumbledore said in his will to make sure we did everything we could to help you, it just seemed to confirm what we had already started.”


“You know, all those times she and Ron were in the garden, I thought they were snogging.” Harry grinned.


“They both knew you would, but they didn’t mind. In fact, I think they were happy to let you think that, knowing you wouldn’t go wandering out there on them. Of course, once they got together for real they did spend some time in the garden snogging, but they still spent most of their time working on becoming Animagi.”


“What about Neville and Luna?” Harry questioned.


“They worked on it when they would come to train with you, and then Hermione would give them homework to do.” Ginny was smirking.


“She really is like a younger version of McGonagall,” Harry mused


“She’d take that as a compliment.”


“That’s how it was intended, for the most part.” They both chuckled.


Harry snuggled down further into the couch as they continued to talk. “So you know all my deep dark secrets now. You knew how I felt about Macmillan, and how much I missed you. You know that I don’t know if I want to be an Auror anymore, you know about the…” Harry’s eyes suddenly widened in surprise. He had just remembered the night he told her about the prophecy. He shifted uneasily on the couch.


Ginny must have noticed his change in demeanor. She turned and saw the anguish in his face. “Yes, Harry, I know about the prophecy, and I don’t care. You have to destroy that evil, and that doesn’t make you a murderer. You are defending the ones you love from evil. That makes you a hero.”


Harry shifted again. He wasn’t sure if he agreed with that assessment. He didn’t like the idea of killing anyone. He had struggled with the idea that he had killed Bellatrix Lestrange, but was able to move past it somewhat with the thought that he didn’t mean to do it. Killing Voldemort would be a premeditated act. He still wasn’t sure he could pull that off.


Ginny looked into his eyes and kissed him gently on the cheek. “So what changed?”


“Pardon?” Harry was snapped out of his thoughts.


“You said during Christmas nothing had changed”that the reasons for breaking up with me were still valid. So what changed?”


Harry smiled and moved to get off the couch. “Wait here.” He ran up the stairs and was back inside of a minute. He was holding a small picture frame.


“This.” He held out the picture of his mother and father he had taken from their home. “This is a picture of my dad and mum just before I was born. I was looking at it and I realized that they knew that Voldemort was after them. They had somehow faced him three times and defied him on each occasion. They knew the danger and yet they loved each other enough to have a child. They decided that I was worth the risks. I decided that being with you, even for a little while, is better than not being with you at all.”


Ginny had tears in her eyes as she turned away from the picture. Harry’s heart soared as he leaned over and kissed her gently. Harry felt sure that Ginny was indeed worth it.
+++++++


They sat on the couch for another half hour, enjoying each other’s company. Harry about to call it a night when a flicker of light, outside on the grounds, caught his attention. It looked like torch light, and it was moving from the area around Hagrid’s shack towards the castle. A sense of foreboding overtook Harry as he watched the light move, rapidly, towards the front door.


He quickly told Ginny what he saw, and they both headed downstairs to see what was happening. When they arrived, they were shocked. Standing in the entrance way, was a snow-covered Hagrid, holding the limp form of Percy Weasley.
+++++


A/N:Well they are now, officially, back together. By the way, you can thank Kerrbear for them not being together before now. She is the one the talked me out of getting them back together during the summer. I think she was spot on and it made for a much more interesting story. Let me know what you think.


Thanks as always go out to my prebetas Kerrbear and Cableguysmom. My betas Ginny Guerra and JenC both did a wonderful job on this one as well. Thanks for taking such good care of me ladies.


Up next, more on Percy and Moody starts casting unforgivables again.
Imperious by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse.
+++++


Percy was taken immediately to a “secure” area of the Hospital Wing, where he spent the rest of the night, before being moved to a room in the Astronomy Tower. With the exception of Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, no student knew that Percy was in Hogwarts. The Weasley family was told, of course, but was not allowed to see Percy. This was not McGonagall’s choice, but Percy’s. He staunchly refused to see anyone except Harry. His meals were delivered by a house-elf, and it was left to Harry to decide when the time was right to visit.


Harry had every intention of doing so, but nearly a week went by and he still had not gone to visit his onetime Prefect and Head Boy of Hogwarts. So Percy simply stayed in his room. Harry couldn’t decide if it was for Percy’s protection or for his own, but he chose instead to focus his attention on more pressing matters. He had training and studies to worry about. Percy would have to wait.
++++++

Harry and Ginny walked casually, hand in hand, down the seventh floor corridor, towards the Room of Requirement for a training session. Harry enjoyed fighting with Ginny as his partner; although he still tended to lose focus, watching out for her, he was getting better at letting her take care of herself”which was something she always seemed to do particularly well.


They approached the door to the room and walked in. Harry was surprised to see that the room did not have the same look it normally had for training sessions. It was much larger, closer to the size of a Quidditch pitch. Set randomly throughout the field were ditches that seemed to be cut about a metre into the ground and tall columns about two metres in diameter. The room was dimly lit by torches on the still visible walls surrounding the immense field.


Stunned by this new arrangement of the Room of Requirement, Harry didn’t notice the four figures moving up behind him. “Harry,” whispered the nearest figure. Harry whirled around, wand out, pointing directly at Ron’s chest.


“Oy, mate, settle down!” Ron yelped, backing away.


“What’s going on?” Ginny asked, stepping beside Harry, who was still feeling uneasy about this whole affair. Hermione, Luna and Neville were standing behind Ron. “What are all you doing here? I thought tonight was my night to train with Harry.”


“It was,” growled Moody, from closer to the centre of the room. “But, since you lot feel the need to go traipsing all over the place without backup, we decided it was time to make sure you were ready.” The group of teens shifted nervously, feeling somewhat guilty for having to keep information from the rest of the Order.


“There are at least as many members of the Order in here tonight as there are of you. Standard training rules apply. The team with any members left standing in the end wins. If Harry is knocked out, the match is over. If I get knocked out, since I represent Voldemort, the match continues as long as the rest want. We start in a minute, so I suggest you get ready.” Moody turned and disappeared into the darkness on the opposite end of the room.


“Well this sounds like fun,” Ron stated excitedly. “All right, let’s spread out.”

“Right, Ron, you and Hermione take the middle; Neville, you and Luna take the left; and Ginny and I’ll take the right side. We can’t let them encircle us,” Harry admonished.


“What about our transformations?” Neville questioned.


“Yeah, we could take them by surprise,” Ginny agreed. Even in the dim light, it was obvious that the blush in her face was growing with adrenaline.


“What if we sent Ginny and Luna to try and get in behind them?” Hermione interjected.


“That could be a good plan. They are the most agile of the group, but, let’s not do it unless we have to. I don’t want it known yet that you lot are Animagi,” Harry responded. He was still wondering if there was possibly a spy in the Order, as Percy had said there may be, in his first letter.


“Expelliarmus!” was shouted from somewhere and the spell sizzled over the heads of the six teens.


“Move!” Harry yelled as he and Ginny ran towards the left side of the room.


The spellwork came fast and furious for the next thirty-five minutes, as each side attempted to find a weakness and take advantage. Twice Ron Stunned a cloaked figure who approached from the centre of the room, and twice the figure was quickly revived and able to rejoin the battle.


On one occasion, Harry attempted to make a run along the wall, trying to sneak past the group and get in behind their attackers. He was greeted with a nasty Bludgeoning Hex that nearly knocked the wind out of him. Ginny retaliated with a Banishing Charm that sent his attacker flying into a ditch.


“Thanks, Ginny,” Harry panted as he crawled back into position behind his barrier. Harry, from his vantage point, could not see how Neville and Luna were doing. Through his mental link with them he could tell they were getting frustrated, but had yet to be hit with anything incapacitating.


“This is a standoff,” Harry shouted at Ginny. “We need to do something that will change the field.”


“Let Luna and I go and try to get in behind them,” Ginny urged him. Harry was reluctant. “We can surprise them and split their focus.”


“Let me try and get word to Luna,” Harry replied, finally deciding it was the only way. He focused his mind on Luna. He could tell she was in the same place she had been when they had started. She seemed tired, but more focused than normal. Try to get to the back, he thought. He instantly felt her attention shift, recognizing the voice in her head. We’ll cause a distraction. Let Neville know.


Harry sent a mental message to Ron and Hermione, telling them to help cause a distraction to allow Ginny and Luna to get in behind the opposing force. Harry was surprised to hear both Hermione and Ron’s voices in his head, agreeing with the plan.


“Okay, we’re all set. Ginny, be careful,” Harry said. She kissed him quickly on the cheek and then transformed into a cat.


“Now!” Harry shouted and began firing spells as quickly as he could. Some he spoke audibly, some he simply thought. To his left he could see the brilliant light of Ron, Hermione and Neville’s spells and figured that their distraction was working.


After several minutes, Harry decided it was time to once again go on the offensive. Jumping from one bit of cover to the next, he found that now he was able to start making some progress forward. He dove into a ditch, finding the Stunned form of Tonks lying in the bottom. He had taken her out several minutes ago, so her teammates must not be able to revive their comrades any longer. Harry imagined that Ginny and Luna were causing some trouble for the opposing force. He could feel, rather than see, Ron and Hermione making progress in the middle, although Neville was still pinned down on his side of the room.


He noticed in the far back of the room the flashes of spells being cast, and thought that Ginny and Luna must be making good progress. He started to move again, taking out another enemy figure before he leapt behind a column. He was just past the centre of the room. He felt Neville’s mind go blank and knew instantly that he had been Stunned. They got Neville, be careful on your left, Harry thought to Ron and Hermione.


He was still making progress, working slowly towards the end of the room. He stumbled past Charlie Weasley, black bonds wrapped tightly around his arms and legs. Harry smirked and then moved on to the next piece of cover he could get to.


Feeling his way with his mind, he could tell that he was coming up on Luna’s position. Hermione and Ron were stuck in the centre of the room and being attacked on two sides, but he could not help them”Harry needed to move on. He was hopeful that if he could take out Moody, the rest would quit.


Bodies littered the floor of the room. Harry counted at least seven along with the couple he had already come across. He knew they were not badly hurt, but the sight was still unnerving. He jumped behind a barrier just as a beam of white light shot past him.


There was a flash of red in front of him and he felt Luna go down to a Stunning Spell. He fired at a figure moving towards the centre of the room; the figure went down in a heap.


Harry felt he must be getting close. He was almost at the end of the room. He knew Ginny must be in this area, but for some reason he could no longer pinpoint her position. He felt she was just out of his reach mentally, and that started to bother him. He didn’t want to make the mistake of trying to protect her, but he was beginning to get worried.


Ron and Hermione came running up on his left and dove into a ditch a few feet away from Harry. Just as they began to gather themselves for another push, all the spells in the room stopped. Harry stuck his head up, just enough to see Ginny walking slowly towards him. Moody was nowhere to be seen.


Jumping from behind his barrier, Harry started moving towards Ginny. Ron shouted for him to stop. “We don’t know where Moody is!”


Ginny had a large smile on her face, but Harry could tell something wasn’t quite right. He still couldn’t connect with her mind. Every time he focused on her, he felt a sort of floating sensation. “Ginny, what are you doing? Get down!” Harry shouted.


She continued to walk towards him. Ron and Hermione both got up from the ditch they had dove into. They cautiously moved behind Harry.


“It’s okay, I got him,” Ginny announced. She had her wand gripped in her hand and a smile on her face, but the way she moved made Harry sense there was something seriously wrong.


“Ginny, stop. What’s going on?” Harry shouted, his wand raised a fraction of an inch.


She stopped and seemed puzzled for an instant, then the smile returned and she started to walk again. “Harry, everything’s fine. I got Moody, we won.”


Harry’s mind was racing. He could tell that she was not all right, but he couldn’t think of what was wrong with her. Would Moody have used the Imperius Curse on her? How would he know?


“Ginny, I said stop right there.” His wand came up, this time leveled at his girlfriend. She stopped again and her face twisted as if she were trying to think of something that her mind refused to focus on.


Harry caught the first brush of connection with her mind and latched on to it. Ginny, fight this. Whatever it is, fight it. He moved towards her. She raised her wand and pointed it at Harry.


The standoff did not last long. Harry could feel the connection he had with her wavering. Suddenly, he heard two shouts of “Stupefy!” from behind him and knew that Ron and Hermione were Stunned.


Ginny!? he thought and then fell unconscious as red light erupted from the end of her wand.
+++++++


Harry awoke with Remus Lupin kneeling beside him. He sat up and looked around. He saw Hermione being helped up by one of the twins while Ron was being revived by Bill Weasley. Fleur was standing beside them looking grim. Luna was standing beside Tonks, and Neville was tiredly leaning against a wall, by Abe Dumbledore. A small sob sounded from the wall on the other side of the room and Harry turned to see Ginny, tears streaming down her face, clutching her arms around her knees, rocking back and forth.


“You all right there, Harry?” Remus questioned.


It all came back to Harry. “Where’s Moody?” Harry hissed. He jumped to his feet, ignoring the pain in his head.


Moody stepped directly in front of Harry, glaring with his one good eye, his blue magical eye focused on Harry’s right hand. Harry’s wand was out and his hand twitched.


“What the bloody hell is going on, Moody?” Harry exploded. “You used the Imperius Curse on Ginny!”


If Harry thought that the former Auror would be intimidated, he was dreadfully mistaken. “Training you, Potter!” he barked back. “Do you think that a Death Eater or Voldemort would hesitate to use one of your friends against you like this?”


“YOU HAVE NO RIGHT”” Harry bellowed.


“I HAVE EVERY RIGHT, POTTER,” Moody cut in. “That bastard has to be stopped and if you’re the one to do it, then you have to be ready. You lost tonight, Potter, because you let your feelings get in the way of what you have to do.”


Harry was shaking with fury. He stood there, staring into the scarred face of the man in front of him. It didn’t seem like anyone was willing to breath. A snarl developed on Harry’s lips and he was just about to tell Moody which particular lake he could go jump in, when he felt a soft hand on his shoulder.


Ginny had moved and now stood between Moody and Harry. He noticed that she still had unshed tears in her eyes, but when she spoke, her voice was determined. “He’s right, Harry.” Harry opened his mouth to protest but she quickly placed her fingers over his lips. “They won tonight because we weren’t strong enough. We have to get stronger, and if that means Mad-Eye using the Imperius Curse on us so we can learn to throw it off, then that’s what we deal with.”


Mad-Eye smiled a small smile, as he patted Ginny on the back. “Keep this one, Potter, she’s got a good head on her shoulders.”


Harry just gazed at Ginny, astonished by her strength. He leaned down to kiss her but she pulled away.


“I’m sorry,” Ginny whispered, looking into his eyes.


Harry smiled warmly down at her. “There’s nothing to be sorry for. We just got caught off guard, so next time we’ll be prepared.”


Ginny wrapped her arms around Harry in a fierce hug and let out a long breath. They just stood there holding each other for a moment letting some of the emotions of the past several minutes recede.


The rest of the group seemed to move away from this private moment Harry and Ginny were sharing. After a couple of minutes, however, Moody coughed, and the moment was broken. “Starting next week, throwing off the Imperius will be part of your training, all of you.”


The teens all nodded, then silently made their way out of the Room of Requirement. It was a tense walk back to Gryffindor Tower for the six young people. No one spoke, as they all thought about the damage that could come about if one of them did fall prey to the Imperius Curse.


As they walked, Luna finally broke the silence. “Harry, tomorrow then, about half past nine?”


Harry was confused by the question for a second, but quickly remembered that he was going to enter the Ravenclaw common room the next day, in order to examine the portrait of Rowena Ravenclaw for clues as to what the final Horcrux may be. Earlier in the week he had gone to the Headmistress’s office to see if either Gryffindor’s sword or the Sorting Hat was a Horcrux. Both had been completely devoid of Dark Magic, much as Harry had suspected. “Sure, Luna, I’ll meet you at the entrance.”


Luna turned left and started for her tower. The rest of the group made it to the portrait hole and entered the common room. The room was filled with all the Gryffindors and Harry immediately felt claustrophobic. Ever since Colin Creevey had returned to Hogwarts, the Gryffindors held a Friday evening party. The first several were an attempt by his fellow sixth-year boys to cheer him up, and were fairly subdued. Before long, however, they had been transformed into very loud celebrations of the end of a long week. This particular one seemed to be in full swing.


“I don’t want to stay here right now. How long before curfew?” Harry shouted at Ginny. The noise in the room was overwhelming. Someone had enchanted a wireless to play music five times the normal maximum volume.


“It’s only seven, we still have some time,” Ginny nearly screamed back.


Ron grabbed Harry by the arm. “You two want to go?” Ron bellowed right into Harry’s face. He nodded. “Good, let’s go get our swimming things.” This last statement didn’t make much sense to Harry, but he was quickly dragged up the stairs and into the relative quiet of their dorm room. Ron picked up a pair of swimming trunks from inside his trunk. Harry didn’t have any, so he simply took a pair of shorts from his trunk. They each grabbed a towel and headed for the door.


“So, where are we going?” Harry questioned.


“Prefects’ bathroom. Hermione found out that she could allow the leader of a club or official school group access to the bathroom. Sort of like when you were Quidditch Captain and you could use it. Since you’re the leader of the DA, you get to have access. She checked it with McGonagall yesterday.”


Harry smiled and was greatly appreciative of his friend’s efforts.


They met Ginny and Hermione at the base of the steps and exited the common room. Harry thought it very odd that once the portrait swung closed there was silence in the hall. “Must have used a Silencing Spell.”


They entered the Prefects’ bathroom and moved to separate changing rooms. The bath was just as Harry remembered it”huge, more like a swimming pool with loads of taps on the far end.


When he stepped out into the main section of the bathroom, he was greeted with the sight of Ginny delicately stepping into the water. His mouth dropped open, this being the first time he had ever seen her in a bathing suit.


Ginny wore a blue one-piece suit that was modest and yet accentuated every curve. Harry simply stared as she lazily backstroked in the pool.


Thwack! He was smacked in the back of the head.


“That’s my sister you’re ogling there, Harry!” Ron stated with a mock look of anger. Harry started to reply but noticed Ron’s mouth open as his stare moved from Harry’s face towards the pool. He followed Ron’s eyes and noticed that Hermione had just exited her changing room. She had on a tasteful red two-piece”Harry later heard her refer to it as a tankini; she said that it was very popular in the Muggle world.


Harry noticed that Ron seemed to have stopped breathing, so he, not too gently, sent a backhand into his stomach.


“Ouff!” Ron gasped, finally tearing his eyes off Hermione. “What was that for?”


“Just trying to help you to breathe there, mate.”


Ron and Harry both started to laugh as they moved towards the pool. They dropped their dressing gowns and were greeted with wolf whistles from both their respective girlfriends. Ron turned red from head to foot and Harry backed away slightly and made to cover himself again. Both quickly realized how foolish their response must be, and jumped into the pool, sending a cascade of water down on the heads of Ginny and Hermione.


They splashed and played for several minutes, starting to relax from a very tense evening. After about twenty minutes, all four swam to the shallow end and sat down.


“So what happened to Neville? He was gone as soon as we got into the common room,” Harry asked no one in particular. He had his arm around Ginny’s shoulders and was playing with her wet and now tangled hair.


“He and Parvati met up and left before we even went upstairs. I think they had a date,” Hermione responded. “I hope they get back before curfew.” The others laughed, but they also knew that Hermione was serious.


They fell silent again, each enjoying the sensation of the water on their tense muscles. Harry was thinking back to the events of training. Ginny was lounging in Harry’s arms. “Ginny,” Harry shifted slightly.


“Hmm,” she had her eyes closed and looked to be almost asleep.


“When you were under the Imperius, I thought I felt you make contact with me. Did you feel anything?”


Ginny seemed reluctant to talk about this, but eventually began to speak. “I don’t really know. I felt this overwhelming sense of calm and peace, like everything was as good as it would ever be. Then I heard a voice in my head telling me to Stun you. It seemed like the perfectly right thing to do at the time, so I started to walk over to you. A couple of times I sort of argued with the voice, but in the end I just couldn’t help myself.” Her shoulders sagged and Harry could see how disappointed she was with her perceived failure.


Hermione perked up as Ginny was speaking. “Harry, do you think that our connection may help us throw off the curse? I mean, you did it in fourth year, but none of the rest of us managed well.”


“I hope so. We can start testing it Monday when we train again.” They fell silent again. Harry squeezed Ginny closer to himself, attempting to comfort her. After a couple of hours, they quietly made their way back to their common room.
+++++++


The next morning, at a quarter past nine, Harry crept along the corridor towards the Ravenclaw common room, the Invisibility Cloak hiding his movement, and the Marauder’s Map clutched in his left hand. He could tell that everyone but Luna was out of Ravenclaw Tower and that his path was clear.


He approached the portrait of an intelligent-looking wizard holding a very large book. The wizard appeared to reading and not paying any attention to the hallway. Harry stood in front of the portrait and waited. He did not have to wait long as the portrait swung open and Luna was standing in the dark hall.


“Harry?” she whispered.


“Right here,” Harry responded, moving towards the portrait hole. Luna moved backwards and allowed Harry to enter the common room. He removed the Invisibility Cloak and looked around. The room was very similar to his own common room, although the colours were bronze and black instead of red and gold. He noticed the same style of armchairs, looking just as old, and the couches looked just as frayed. There were large bookshelves in this room, however, which were not in the Gryffindor room. The fireplace crackled and the room was nicely warm. Above the fireplace was a very large portrait of Rowena Ravenclaw.


“So that’s her?” Harry questioned.


Luna nodded. “A bit overblown, if you ask me, but that’s her.”


Harry studied the portrait carefully. The founder of Ravenclaw was a beautiful witch with long jet-black hair. Harry wondered if perhaps Sirius was related to her, since they had many of the same facial features. On her head sat a delicate looking tiara of silver. In her right arm she held a book, although Harry couldn’t read the title. It was in an ancient runic language he did not recognize. He jotted down the runes, hoping Hermione would be able to translate it. She wore a flowing blue dress with black sequins along the top. In her left hand she held her wand, pointing straight down.


Harry stared at the painting for several minutes. He tried to imprint every detail on his mind but he didn’t see anything that was particularly interesting or that stood out. The tiara looked sort of familiar, but he couldn’t place it in his memory.


He was broken from his thoughts by Luna’s dreamy voice coming from behind him. “Harry, I think there is a bug on your parchment.”


Harry shook his head, confused by her statement. He looked down and noticed that the dots indicating all the people on the Hogwarts grounds were moving, “Oh, that’s my map; see, it shows where everyone at the school is located.” Luna didn’t look terribly impressed as she watched the dots move around.


“So these are all the students, then.”


“Yeah, they’re all moving out of the Quidditch pitch and coming into the school.” The realization that the match was over, and the students were coming back to the castle, hit Harry just as the words left his mouth. He quickly ran to the entrance and out of the portrait hole opening. He didn’t think anyone had seen him as he exited the Ravenclaw common room.


He slowly walked down to the Great Hall to meet up with Ginny, Ron and Hermione. As he reached the ground floor, he noticed the Slytherins were celebrating as they walked towards their common room entrance down in the dungeons.


Ron was the first to see Harry. He did not look happy. “Slytherin destroyed ‘em. 210 to 40 and it wasn’t even that close.”


Hermione and Ginny approached. “So, you find anything?” Hermione asked, taking Ron’s hand in her own.


“Not really, there was a tiara, her wand and a book that I couldn’t tell what the title was,” Harry responded a bit dejectedly. “I thought the tiara looked a little familiar, but I don’t know. I copied the name of the book, Hermione, so that you could see if you can translate it.” He handed her a small piece of parchment.


She looked at it for a couple of seconds, then shook her head. “I’ll have to work on it, but I don’t think it will help much.”


They moved into the Great Hall and sat down for lunch. “Well, it was a long shot anyway,” Harry stated, taking a helping of potatoes and putting them on his plate. But even as he ate, he had a nagging thought in the back of his mind. Where have I seen that tiara before?
+++++++


A/N: Well I hope you liked this one. I must admit this chapter fought me a bit but I think it turned out pretty well. Let me know what you think, and I will let you know what I think about what you think, and so on and so forth.


Thanks as always to my pre betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Huge happy thankyous to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. Both of whom are doing a wonderful job turning my forth grade grammar skills into sophisticated fanfiction art.


Up next, A little Quidditch and Krum steps duck footed and awkwardly onto the scene.
Krum's Return by ckwright51
I don't own anything from the Harry Potter universe.
+++++


The week following Harry’s sojourn into the Ravenclaw common room was one of the worst he could remember. Monday morning, the Prophet reported a series of Death Eater attacks throughout England. Most of the attacks were centred on Wizarding families, and nearly everyone in the school had been affected in some way or another.


Tuesday brought news from Mr. Weasley, which the Prophet didn’t include, that the Ministry of Magic had been attacked as well, and that both Lucius and Draco Malfoy had escaped.


Wednesday, Harry was training with Hermione. She was having no luck throwing off the Imperius Curse, and her frustration was beginning to show. Finally, after two hours of work with little actual success, they called it a night.


They walked back to the common room, and Harry could tell Hermione was in an extremely foul temper. She entered the room and sulkily plopped down at a table, pulling out her Arithmancy homework. Ron was playing a game of wizard chess with Seamus and didn’t immediately notice her sitting there.


“Ron, aren’t you going to study? Or are you just going to waste your time?” Hermione grumbled with a glare.


“I’m all finished, Hermione,” Ron responded, sending his knight to attack Seamus’s bishop. “I’m all caught up on everything that’s due for the rest of the week.” There was a faint gleam of pride in his eyes as he went back to his game. The truth was that both Ron and Harry had managed to stay caught up with the N.E.W.T. level work much better than they had during their O.W.L. year.


Hermione simply grunted and went back to her studying. After several more minutes, Ron had defeated Seamus soundly, and turned to Harry. “So, you want to go for a swim?”


Harry, who had been watching the chess match, thought this was a grand idea. Ginny was on patrol, and would be for the next couple of hours, and since he had no work to finish, a trip to the Prefects’ bathroom seemed perfectly sensible. “Great idea, let’s go.”


Both young men jumped up to leave. Harry heard a soft growl coming from behind him and immediately knew that Hermione was not pleased. A minute later, they came down from their dorm, dressing gowns on, with towels over their shoulders.


Ron stepped over to Hermione and moved to kiss her on top of her head. “We’ll be back in an hour or two.” She moved away from him. “Hey, what’s that for?”


“Just go, Ron, I have work to do,” she proclaimed and slammed her Transfiguration book open.


“What’s going on, Hermione?” Ron asked incredulously. He had started turning red, and Harry could see both his confusion and anger building at the same time.


“Nothing’s wrong. I’m fine, Ron. Just let me get to work.”


“No, you’re not fine. You’re mad about something. What’s the matter?” Ron’s voice was raised now, and the last question was said a little too harshly.


Hermione threw down her quill and sprang from her chair. “Ronald Weasley, if I say nothing is the matter, then nothing’s the matter. Why can’t you just go and have your fun and leave me alone? Go to your stupid bathroom and have a wonderful time.” She was standing toe to toe with him now, although he was a good head and a half taller than she was.


Ron was crimson; however, Harry could tell it was not anger but confusion that had brought colour to his face. “Okay, sorry,” he said, holding his hands up in surrender and backing away slightly.


She grunted again and quickly grabbed her books. “I’m going upstairs to get some work done.” She stormed towards the stairs.


Ron, it seemed to Harry, was finally fed up with this little show. “What, no good night kiss?” he bellowed cheekily after her.


“I’d rather kiss a Hippogriff,” she announced back, refusing to turn around.


“That can be arranged.” And with that, Ron stormed out of the common room. Hermione stormed upstairs and Harry simply stood there, not really sure what to do.


“You coming?” Ron shouted back at Harry through the open portrait hole.


Harry turned and followed Ron out. They walked in silence for a few minutes, making their way to the Prefects’ bathroom. Harry looked out one of the windows and noticed that the moon was almost full. Probably another day or two and Remus will be transforming again. I’m glad he has the potion from Slughorn now, he thought.


Ron finally broke the silence. “How was training?”


Harry was somewhat surprised by the question. “Not bad, but not really good either. The session throwing off the Imperius didn’t go well, which highly frustrated Hermione.”


“Yeah, I know.”


“Don’t you think you should talk to her?”


“No, she’ll calm down and we can talk later. If I try now, it will just make her angrier,” Ron answered.


Harry was stunned by the insight of his friend. He thought about it for a second and decided that Ron was a hundred percent right about letting Hermione cool down.
++++++


An hour and half later, they entered the common room. Harry noticed a contrite looking Hermione sitting in one of their usual chairs by the fire. Ron immediately walked over to her. “I’m sorry for blowing up at you like that,” Hermione stated meekly. “It’s just that I sort of thought you were rubbing it in, that you didn’t have any homework and I did.”


Ron picked her up in a hug and whispered in her ear something Harry didn’t quite catch. Hermione grinned, slapped him on the arm, and then kissed him soundly. This led to whistles and catcalls throughout the common room.


“Prefects should set a better example!” called a rather disgruntled Lavender Brown from the couch, where she was almost sitting on top of Dean Thomas.


“Head Girl’s prerogative,” Hermione announced after breaking the kiss. She placed her head on Ron’s chest. “You’ll do, I guess,” she remarked and then bid good night and walked up the stairs.


“What did you tell her?” Harry asked as Ron walked back towards their own stairs.


“Told her I couldn’t get hold of a Hippogriff, but that Grawp might be interested.” They both laughed and Ron headed upstairs while Harry settled down to wait for Ginny to get back from her patrol.
+++++++


Thursday morning dawned overcast and dreary. Harry and Ron went to breakfast and met Hermione and Ginny, who had already made it down. Ron sat next to Hermione, placing a kiss on top of her head as Harry sat next to Ginny. He leaned over and kissed her cheek.


“Hem hem,” Hermione coughed, doing a passable impression of Dolores Umbridge. “Prefects should set a better example,” she declared with a smile.


“You’re one to talk,” Ginny fired back in mock anger. “I heard you nearly sucked my brother’s face off last night.”


Hermione looked about ready for a snappy response, but the post owls had arrived and once again her copy of the Daily Prophet, along with the owl it was attached to, dropped directly into her porridge. “You silly bird!” she shouted, wiping her breakfast off her robes. “If I didn’t know better, I would say that Fred and George had got a hold of you or something.”


Harry, Ron and Ginny all stifled their sniggers as Hermione paid the owl. It flapped its wings, knocking over her orange juice, and took flight.


Moments later, a second, statelier looking, silver and brown Eagle owl swooped down and landed gracefully in front of Hermione. It stood there, waiting patiently for her to remove the small roll of parchment from its leg.


“Good morning, Sergei,” Hermione said, pulling the envelope from the owl’s leg. She then gave him a piece of toast, which the bird took gratefully, and he was off.


“Who’s Sergei?” Ginny asked.


“That’s Vicky’s owl,” Ron commented flatly.


“Ron, I asked you not to call him that,” Hermione admonished. She opened the note and began to read.


“So, Viktor Krum is writing you?” Harry questioned.


“Not very often; in fact, this is the first letter I’ve got from him since before Halloween,” Hermione explained looking at the letter. Her face seemed to cloud over in confusion the longer she read.


“And you’re okay with this, Ron?” Harry asked, somewhat surprised that Ron was acting so mature about this whole thing.


“Why shouldn’t I be?” Ron replied. “I won; she’s marrying me, not him.”


“Hmmm,” Hermione sounded, with a quizzical look on her face.


“What’s it say?” Ron asked nonchalantly.


“He is coming here this weekend and wants me to have dinner with him.”


“HE WHAT?!” Ron exclaimed, slamming his hand on the table and twisting violently in his seat to face Hermione.


“He said he had something important to discuss with me about the future,” Hermione stated, taking a sip of orange juice. “Wonder what he’s talking about?”


“Ron, so, you’re okay with this?” Ginny inquired tentatively.


“Yeah, sure,” Ron stated a little too quickly. “I mean, dinner here in the Great Hall, no problem.” He shifted in his seat and put his arm around Hermione. “Well, we had better get to class, don’t you think?”


As they got up to leave, Harry noticed that Ron’s ears were red and realized that he probably was not taking the news of Viktor Krum appearing in Hermione’s life again nearly as well as he wanted everyone to believe.


Harry thought Hermione felt the same way he did, but for the next day and a half, every time either of them attempted to talk about it with Ron, he would just dismiss them and quickly change the subject.
++++++


Saturday morning, Ron was up and out of the room before Harry. This was the day Krum was coming to visit Hermione and also the day of the Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff match.


When Harry got down to the Great Hall for breakfast, Ginny, Ron and the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team were almost finished eating. Ron looked paler than usual.


Harry actually felt glad he didn’t have to play. He was exhausted from training that week. The effort of trying to help his friends with the Imperius Curse, combined with all his other responsibilities, was really beginning to weigh him down. He felt glad that he had given up Quidditch at least for the time being.


“Morning, sleepy head,” Ginny smiled as he took a seat next to her. “I have to go and get ready for the match, and since you were late, you don’t get to have breakfast with me.” She got up to leave.


“Sorry, I overslept,” Harry apologized.


She bent down and kissed him. “That’s all right, you’ll make it up to me later,” she whispered in his ear.


Shivers went down Harry’s spine and his arms got goose bumps, which seemed to be exactly what Ginny had in mind. She smiled broadly and strode out along with the rest of the team.


Harry sat there for a moment, thinking about Ginny, when he noticed Hermione walking in with Krum in tow. Krum looked bigger and stronger than the last time Harry had seen him. He was still duck-footed and seemed a bit awkward as he walked next to Hermione.


For her part, Hermione looked distressed as they made their way over to Harry. “Did I miss Ron?”


“He just left a second ago. He didn’t look good, but that is probably just nerves before the match,” Harry replied coolly. He was a little put out with Hermione for not being there to see Ron off to the pitch.


“Harry Potter, it is a pleasure to see you again. I hope the you are vell” Krum said through his thick accent. “Herm-own-ninny tells me that you are not playing Quidditch this year.”


“No, I decided that I had more important things to do,” Harry remarked, getting up to leave. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get down to the pitch to support our team.” He shot a pointed looked at Hermione. She blushed but did not respond.


“Great, ve vill come too,” Krum announced.


They made their way to the pitch and took their usual seats in the top section of the stands. Harry scanned the crowd and noticed that once again Coach White, dressed in robes of green and orange, was sitting in the faculty box. He was talking earnestly with Professor McGonagall.


The match started and two things became very clear. First was that while Ernie Macmillan may have had the talent to become Head Boy, he was certainly nowhere near as good a flyer as Ginny. She literally was able to fly rings around him as they both searched for the Snitch.


The second thing to become clear was that Ron was not at all on his game. As he sat atop his broom, he seemed to drift to the left and then overcorrect and move too far to the right. His concentration was completely off.


After thirty minutes, Hufflepuff was ahead 40-20. Ron had allowed three easy goals and a penalty shot. The Gryffindor Chasers and Beaters were doing their best to keep pressure off of Ron, but they couldn’t intercept every pass. The longer the game went on, the more confidence Hufflepuff gained, and the lower Ron’s seemed to get.


Harry noticed Krum gesturing at Ron, and Hermione began talking, although he couldn’t hear over the noise of the crowd. He noticed Hermione holding her hand out and showing Krum the engagement ring on her finger. Krum smiled and gave the thumbs-up to Ron.


Ron must have missed the gesture, because his play did not improve. When the score reached 120-60, the Slytherins began a new rendition of “Weasley is our King.”


Harry had had enough. He raised his mental barriers and focused on Ron. He could immediately feel the tension and lack of confidence filling his best friend. Ron, snap out of it. You’re being stupid and childish. Hermione is in love with you. She just showed Krum her ring and he is happy for you both. Now, would you please get your head out of your”


“And a great save by Weasley,” came the announcer’s voice.


Thank you! Harry thought as he watched Ron visibly change in his attitude.


The rest of the match, Ron was much better. He was still not on his game like he had been in other matches, but he was playing more up to scratch than before. As the second hour of play began, the score was 160-150 and the momentum was clearly on the side of the Gryffindors, although they still trailed.


Harry had seen the Snitch on three occasions, but lost it before either Ginny or Macmillan had noticed it. Tempting as it was to point it out the last time, he did not allow himself to do so, as it would be cheating. The last time he helped Ginny in a match, it was completely by accident.


Ginny was circling on the Hufflepuff side of the pitch when Harry noticed a glint of gold, directly in front of the faculty box. Ernie was on the other side of the pitch, and they both were about the same distance from the Snitch.


Both Seekers saw it at the same time. They rocketed towards the little golden ball, and directly towards each other. Harry watched and knew they would collide if one of them didn’t pull up soon. The Snitch seemed unable to decide which direction to move and hung in the air, waiting for the Seekers to arrive.


Ginny was just ahead and reached out for the Snitch, grasping it firmly in her right hand. She then twisted her broom to the right, narrowly missing Macmillan’s broom, causing the crowd to gasp and then whoop in amazement.


Ginny extended her hand to present the Snitch to Madam Hooch, who seemed genuinely impressed by her flying. The crowd went wild, with even the Hufflepuffs clapping and cheering Ginny’s maneuver. Harry beamed as he raced down to the pitch to embrace Ginny and congratulate his housemates. Ron seemed happy about the win, but also disappointed about something.


The crowd began to disperse, and the Gryffindor team went to the locker room to change. Krum bid Hermione farewell until later. They planned on meeting in the Great Hall for dinner, along with Ron, Harry and Ginny that evening. Harry watched as Viktor walked over to Coach White and the two began talking.


Ron exited the locker room shortly, still looking pleased, but not as happy as he should have been.


“What’s up, Ron? Why aren’t you thrilled? We won!” Hermione asked, beaming at him and kissing him on the cheek.


“I know, I just didn’t play well today and the game was a lot closer than it should have been,” Ron explained.


“So you had a bad game, it isn’t the end of the world,” Hermione consoled him. “By the way, I’m sorry I wasn’t there this morning before the match. Viktor showed up and he had to go check in with Professor McGonagall and we just didn’t make it back before you left.”


“It’s all right, Hermione,” Ron said sincerely. “I owe you an apology too. I was really jealous about you seeing him today. I know that I shouldn’t have been, but I was. I’m sorry.”


Hermione smiled and kissed him again.


“Ugh, would you two stop that in public!” Ginny exclaimed, leaving the locker room with a smile.


Both Ron and Hermione made a show of kissing each other again, making loud slurping noises, which caused Harry and Ginny to turn red with embarrassment.


“SO, this is why you didn’t play well today, Mr. Weasley?” Coach White announced, walking up behind the group.


Hermione and Ron looked legitimately mortified as they broke apart. Harry and Ginny attempted to keep from erupting in laughter.


“No, sir, well actually, I guess I just had a bad day, sir,” Ron stammered.


“I see,” White stated with a grin. “So, are we going to be having any more bad days like today in the future, young man?”


“Sir?”


Coach White shook his head, the grin remaining in place. “First, don’t call me sir; it makes me feel old. All Jenny’s friends call me that and I hate it. Secondly, I said I hope you don’t have any more bad days like this in the future.”


Ron nodded, still not sure what the coach of the English National Quidditch team was getting at. Harry was trying to hide his smile, since he knew what was coming next.


Coach White pressed his lips together and ran his fingers through the little hair he had left. “Your friend,” he motioned to Ron, “not too quick on the uptake, is he?” he said with a grin to Harry.


“Bit dull, yes, sir”I mean, Coach,” Harry smiled back.


“Mr. Weasley, I am offering you a chance to try out this summer for the English Quidditch team. We have a test match set up with Bulgaria in early August, so if you make the team, that would be your first game. I would hate for Krum and his boys to beat us in my first match as coach.”


Hermione squealed and jumped into Ron’s arms, completely covering his head with her hair. Ginny bounced on the balls of her feet, the excitement for her brother clearly evident on her face. Harry smiled broadly and waited for the only answer he believed that Ron could give.


Hermione finally released her grip on her fiancé and allowed him to breathe and speak. The look on his face stunned Harry. It was not joy or happiness. It was disappointment.


“Coach White, that’s a real honour, but I’m afraid I have to say no.” Everyone was too surprised to speak. Hermione’s eyes were wide with shock. Ginny’s mouth gaped open. Harry held a very puzzled look, completely at a loss as to why Ron would turn down his dream offer.


“I’m sorry, Mr. Weasley, this is my trick ear,” White pointed at his right ear. “I thought you just said no.”


Ron slowly shook his head. “That’s what I said, sir. I have some--some more important things to be doing right now.”


Coach White looked dumbstruck. “That’s the same thing Mr. Potter said after the last match. I don’t know what’s going on with you folks here, but if that’s what you want…Tryouts aren’t until after the end of the school year, so if you change your mind, Mr. Weasley, let Madam Hooch know. She can contact me.” He turned and walked off shaking his head, muttering, “No wonder they haven’t had a winning team for so long.”


Harry quickly rounded on Ron, “What do you mean you have more important things to do?”


“I have to help you, Harry. More important than playing Quidditch, remember?” Ron retorted.


“Oh, Ron,” Hermione gasped and then flung herself into his arms again. Harry slapped him on the back and Ginny also hugged her brother. Then the four of them walked back to the castle to enjoy yet another Gryffindor victory party.
++++++


Hermione excused herself from the party around five in the afternoon. She had received a note asking her to meet Viktor early before dinner. Ron, still feeling guilty about his earlier jealousy, said he had no problem with her going early. They still planned on meeting at six in the Great Hall.


Harry relaxed on the couch as Ginny leaned against him. The party was in full swing, so talking was next to impossible. They just enjoyed being near each other. After about ten minutes, Harry closed his eyes and raised his mental walls. He felt a little sleepy despite the noise, so he had actually just raised them out of habit. As soon as the walls were in place, his eyes snapped back open. Hermione was terrified and was being taken out of the castle.
+++++++++


A/N: I hope you liked this one. Krum come back and Ron fall to pieces for a while at least. At least he comes off right in the end. Sorry for the cliff hanger but they are just so much fun.


Thanks as always to my darling pre betas Kerrbear and Cableguysmom, and to my wonderful betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. With out you ladies, this would a good story in my head but in reality.


Just to let everyone know, I am going to try and get chapter 27 up before the DH dead line. I was hoping to finish posting before it came out but just couldn’t pull it off.

Up next, we will see what has happened to Hermione, and someone requested a little more Snape, so here you go.
Truth, Lies, and the Shrieking Shake by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter universe.
+++++


Harry raced through the castle, followed closely by Ron, Ginny and Neville. After sensing that Hermione was leaving the castle, and that she was terrified, he had quickly sent mental word to the others, telling them to follow. Luna was sent to find Professor McGonagall and fill her in on the situation.


As they ran”using different shortcuts”Harry began to grow more and more concerned. He could still sense Hermione’s location, but could not sense her mind anymore. That probably meant she was Stunned or unconscious. They rounded a corner and sprinted down the final set of stairs, Ron and Neville directly behind Harry, with Ginny, who was shorter than the boys, a bit further back.


When they reached the ground floor, they all stopped so quickly in surprise that Ginny ran headlong into Neville. Standing next to one of the suits of armour beside the front doors was Hermione, looking rather disheveled, her cheeks blazing red. Viktor Krum was pinned against a far wall by one of the Weasley twins; Harry couldn’t tell which one, but one had his wand drawn, while the other held him in place.


Krum, also a brilliant shade of red, attempted to speak. “George, I did not--”


Fred cut him off with a growl. “I’m Fred, you sodding oaf.” He slammed Krum into the wall. “Just because we had a couple of Firewhiskys a couple of years ago, doesn’t mean we’re friends. What the bloody hell do you think you were doing with her!?”


“What is this rubbish?” George turned and was now yelling at Hermione, “Where do you get off snogging old Vicky here when you’re supposed to be engaged to our brother?”


“She WHAT!” Ron yelled, in absolute disbelief, stepping past Harry towards Hermione and George.


“He said I was snogging Viktor, Ron,” Hermione shouted back, to everyone’s surprise. She seemed to have regained her composure as she continued, “He’s three times the man you are, and I decided that it was time I spent some quality time with him.” She looked longingly over at Krum, who was beginning to turn a deeper red than before, rivaling any of the Weasleys in shade.


“I don’t know vat she is talking about,” he mumbled. “I jus come in see door and she grabs me and kisses me. There is nothing I can do.” Fred, apparently unimpressed with this answer, attempted to lift Viktor further off the ground.


“Don’t say that, Viktor,” Hermione purred. “I know you have always wanted to be with me. Now is your chance.” She pulled the diamond engagement ring from her hand and tossed it to Ron.


Ron had paled considerably at this point and didn’t seem to have any response to the situation. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but no words came out.


Harry watched in utter confusion. His eyes told him that he was seeing Hermione in front of him, but he knew she could never act this way. She wouldn’t treat Ron like this, nor would she have been so careless as to let the twins see her.


He focused his mind again on Hermione, trying to figure out what she was playing at. He was astonished to find that he could not connect with the girl in front of him. Despite what his eyes told him, this person was not Hermione Granger. He could tell that Hermione, though still unconscious, was not on the school grounds any longer, but moving towards Hogsmeade. He raised his wand and pointed it at the fake Hermione’s chest, preparing to ask who she really was.

“Petrificus Totalus!” Ginny shouted from beside him. “It’s not Hermione.”


All eyes shot to Ginny, as Hermione fell face first to the floor, unable to move. “She’s an impostor,” Ginny answered the stunned expressions now focused on her.


Harry was the first to speak. “We need to go; the real Hermione is being taken to Hogsmeade.” He then ran out the door, followed by Ron, who was too stunned to speak; Neville, who was very puzzled about the exchange he had just witnessed; and Ginny. Fred, George and Krum stayed in the doorway, unsure about what to do.


How did you know? Harry thought to Ginny


The ring was wrong! Ginny thought back. Harry smiled in spite of his desperation to help his friend.


The evening sky was already very pale as the four teens ran along the grounds. The sun was setting, providing an eerie twilight. As they raced for the front gate, Harry continued to reach out for Hermione’s mind. He could not make a connection, but he could still manage to track her. Suddenly, he changed directions and started running towards the Whomping Willow. “They’re in the Shrieking Shack,” he yelled as they ran.


They reached the tree and Ginny quickly transformed. In her cat form, she was easily able to avoid the flailing limbs of the tree and push the small knob at its base, rendering it immobile. She transformed back, and the four went down into the secret passage leading to the Shrieking Shack.


By the time they reached the trapdoor leading into the hallway of the old house, they were all out of breath. Ron tried to continue on, but Harry held him back. “She’s okay for now; we need to know what we are going up against.”


Ron relaxed slightly, understanding the logic of Harry’s words.


Attempting to recover from the long run, they edged closer to the trapdoor. They could hear voices from above.


“How do you know they will come?” spoke a deep male voice Harry didn’t recognize. “We don’t even know if they have realized the Mudblood’s missing.”


“They’ll come.” Harry stiffened as he heard that voice. It was all he could do to keep himself from barging in. Snape was just on the other side of the trapdoor. “Come along, Macnair, if I know Potter, he and his little band of stooges will be coming to the front door any moment now. I’m sure our little stand-in has been discovered by now and has told them where we have taken the Mudblood.”


“Lucius will be so excited to see Potter and Weasley again,” Macnair grunted.


“Indeed,” Snape replied, as their footsteps moved away from the trapdoor towards the front of the house.


Harry turned to the others. “Okay, here’s the plan. Ron and I will go in and distract Snape and his friends. Neville, you and Ginny get Hermione; revive her if you can, and get yourselves back to the castle. As soon as you’re safe, Ron and I will Apparate into Hogsmeade and try to get to Honeydukes and use that secret passage to get back to the school.”


“Why not just Apparate to the front gates?” Neville asked nervously.


“They’d be expecting us to do that. If we go to Honeydukes, we may be able to slip back without them being able to follow us,” Ron explained as Harry nodded in agreement. They always seemed to be on the exact same wavelength in times of stress.


Ginny looked like she was about to protest when Harry quietly turned and started to open the trapdoor. He poked his head up just enough to see what was around him. He could see in the front room a small group of four Death Eaters watching out the window. All were hooded and cloaked, with their backs to Harry, so he could not make out who was who.


“Muffliato,” Harry muttered. One Death Eater straightened slightly, as if seeing something in the distance as he looked out the window, but then moved back into his previous position. Harry raised the trapdoor and quietly moved out, followed by Ron. Ginny and Neville started to move through the door and walk quietly up the stairs.


By this time, moonlight was beginning to filter through the windows, providing meagre light for those in the house. Harry ducked behind the stairs as Ron moved around a corner. They fired Stunners at the same time, as Ginny and Neville raced up to the second floor. Two cloaked figures fell without realizing they were in danger.


The other two Death Eaters turned quickly, each raising a shield and deflecting the Stunners aimed at them. “It’s about time, Potter,” yelled Lucius Malfoy. “Is your friend Weasley with you? I have a debt to repay to that blood traitor.”


Ron fired another Stunner at him, but Malfoy easily blocked it. He fired a Cutting Curse of his own as Ron ducked back behind the wall.


Harry locked eyes with the other Death Eater and immediately felt the sledgehammer effect of Snape trying to break into his mind. Harry’s walls were immediately up as he fought to keep his former professor out of his head. He was vaguely aware of the duel taking place between Ron and Malfoy senior, but he couldn’t afford to shift his focus from protecting himself against Snape’s mental assault. He felt the pressure building in his mind as blow after blow came from the former Potions master.


After what felt like hours, but was in truth only seconds, a scream broke the concentration of both men. Malfoy stumbled back and collapsed onto the floor, clutching his stomach and moaning. There was a loud thud above them and all three looked up.


A howl made Harry’s skin turn clammy. “Greyback’s upstairs,” Harry said, dread washing over him, but unsure of what to do. Before he could move, however, there were several loud thuds from upstairs, the sound of furniture breaking, another loud howl and the roar of a bear. Then, just as Harry was about to make a break for the second floor, the body of a werewolf crashed down the staircase, followed closely by a large black bear. The werewolf landed a few feet beyond Harry. Neville, in bear form, moving more quickly than Harry could have imagined, was on top of the wolf, slashing and biting.


Harry was unable to fire a spell at the wolf, for fear of hitting Neville, and he wasn’t sure if the spell would do anything anyway. The battle between the two mammoth beasts continued until finally the werewolf caught Neville in the side with his claw. The bear yelped in pain and staggered back. The wolf seized his advantage and sank his teeth into Neville’s exposed shoulder. The bear let out a great growl, raised up on his hind legs, and with a mighty thrust, launched the werewolf down the hall. It landed with a thud, rolled over, and was then back on its feet.


Harry fired a Stunner at the werewolf; the spell merely bounced off, but had the effect of fixing the wolf’s attention squarely on him and it took a step forward towards its new prey.


Another loud growl, and the werewolf, seemingly having no desire to get into another battle with the bear and risk being mauled a second time, managed to escape out through a side window. Neville made to follow, but Harry stopped him with a shout.


“Impressive, Potter,” Snape sneered. “Not only do you seem to have learned to keep your mind closed, but you also have learned to keep your stupid friends in line. Most impressive indeed.”


“You’ll find I’m full of surprises… sir,” Harry said as he wordlessly fired a Stunner at Snape, who was barely able to block it, but did not return the fire. Harry fired again”a Bludgeoning Curse this time”and again Snape blocked it with difficulty, but did not fire back.


“Why won’t you fight me!” Harry shouted.


“Not today, Potter!” Snape yelled, and then clutched Malfoy by the shoulder and Apparated away.


“ARGGGGH!” Harry screamed in frustration as Snape disappeared. He walked to the spot where only a moment before Snape and Malfoy had been located. He was seething as he looked at the empty floor. His anger soon gave way to curiosity as he noticed for the first time, sitting on the table beside the front window, a vial of silvery liquid. From his previous experiences with Dumbledore’s Pensieve, he could tell it looked like someone’s memories. Moving swiftly, he picked up the vial and stuffed it into his pocket, just as the front door exploded open. Moody and Aberforth Dumbledore, along with many other members of the Order, had arrived.
++++++++


Two hours later, Harry sat in the Hospital Wing waiting for two of his friends to awake. Hermione was lying in one of the beds, seemingly asleep. Madam Pomfrey had been in to see her, and after an extensive examination, decided that Hermione had been given a Sleeping Potion, very much akin to Pomfrey’s own Dreamless Sleep brew. She would wake up in a few hours none the worse for wear.


Neville was a different case. He had transformed back into his normal self, but then immediately passed out from the blood loss he had endured in his battle with Greyback. After several vials of Blood Replenishing Potion, the colour had returned to Neville’s face and he seemed to be resting comfortably. Madam Pomfrey had been concerned about the fact that it had been a werewolf that had bitten Neville, but after consulting several sources, decided that since he had been in his Animagus form when bitten, he should not suffer any ill effects.


Ron sat next to Hermione’s bed, holding her hand and gently running his fingers through her hair. There was a thin scar running down Ron’s right forearm where he had been hit with a Cutting Curse during his duel with Malfoy.


Parvati sat next to Neville’s bed reading, with Luna on the opposite side. Both young ladies looked pale from concern and neither looked the other in the eye.


Harry and Ginny sat on chairs opposite of Ron. Ginny seemed to be dozing while Harry tried to make sense of what had just happened. He was thinking about the tactical mistake Snape had made, in not expecting them to use the secret passage. He knew it was there and yet he had expected them to come from Hogsmeade. Why not cover the passage, just in case?


The doors to the Hospital Wing opened and Professor McGonagall walked in, along with Moody and Abe Dumbledore. She looked kindly at the teens in the room and then moved to Harry’s side. She looked as if she was about to speak when Hermione started to stir.


“Where…what happened?” she asked groggily, then understanding and fear filled her eyes as she realized what she last remembered.


Ron was quickly up and by her side, gently stroking her back. “It’s all right. You’re safe.” She looked at him and then around the room and visibly relaxed.


McGonagall looked at Hermione. “What happened, dear?”


“I was walking towards the Entrance Hall to meet Viktor. I opened the door to check and see if he was outside, and I saw…myself standing there. Someone put me in a full Body-Bind Curse and then started carrying me away from the castle. When we reached the front gates, I just knew they were taking me away.” Tears filled her eyes, “I couldn’t move and then they forced a potion down my throat and I woke up here.”


Harry picked up the story from there. “Ron and I had a feeling something was wrong.” Harry looked significantly at Abe. “We went downstairs to look for Hermione and sent Luna to find you, Professor,” he motioned towards McGonagall. “Then we saw Hermione’s impersonator with Viktor Krum.”


“Yeah, and she snogged Vicky, right there in the middle of the Entrance Hall,” Ginny remarked, removing her head from Harry’s shoulder and joining the conversation.


“Oh dear; Ron, I’m so sorry,” Hermione stated, looking to Ron.


“It wasn’t you who did it, so there isn’t anything to be sorry for.” He planted a kiss on her forehead. “You should have seen Fred and George. They had Krum up against the wall and I thought for sure they were going to hex him into next year.” Ron couldn’t help but smile about his older brothers coming to his defense. “What happened to those three anyway?”


Dumbledore stepped forward. “The last time I checked, the three of them were in my bar, having a drink or two to sort out their differences.”


Hermione looked confused. “Why were the twins here?”


“Victory party, Hermione, you know that. They always come for the Gryffindor party,” Ron explained.


“So we figured out it wasn’t really Hermione because of the ring she tossed at Ron. It was a diamond instead of the pearl,” Harry continued. “Ginny hits her with a Body-Bind Curse before we could get any information out of her.” Harry smiled ruefully at Ginny. She blushed but held his gaze.


“So who was the impostor anyway?” Neville asked, sitting gingerly up in his bed. Parvati nearly burst into tears as she threw her arms around him. Luna smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder before moving towards the others.


“That would be Miss Parkinson,” McGonagall stated flatly, although Harry could see the colour in her face rise. “She will be turned over to the Ministry in the morning. Please continue, Mr. Potter.”


“We figured out that they were going to the Shrieking Shack and got there as quickly as we could.” He left out any mention of how they knew it was the Shrieking Shack or how they got there. “We sent Ginny and Neville upstairs to try and get Hermione while Ron and I distracted the Death Eaters.”


Ginny shifted uneasily in her chair. “We saw Hermione in the room, lying on the floor by herself. I tried to revive her, but she wouldn’t move. We could hear you talking downstairs and heard the spells, but we didn’t want to go down in the middle of it all. Then the door slammed open and the werewolf charged in. I don’t know where he came from, but he must have been waiting for someone to come up. That’s when Neville--erm--” Ginny hesitated, not wanting to reveal Neville’s Animagus form.


“It is all right, Miss Weasley. I am aware of how Mr. Longbottom was able to fight off the werewolf,” McGonagall remarked with a tight smile. Harry couldn’t decide if it was a smile of pride in Neville’s accomplishment or frustration over not knowing before this evening.


“What do you mean, was able to fight a werewolf,” Parvati shrieked. Neville placed a hand on hers and patted. Harry saw him mouth the word later to her, but he could tell she did not look pleased.


Ron took over the story. “I got Malfoy with a Bludgeoning Curse, just below the stomach.” The men in the room all seemed to cringe. “Then Neville and the werewolf came tumbling down the stairs.”


Harry told the rest of the story up to the point when the Order arrived.


Dumbledore picked up from that point. “The twins saw you four head for the Whomping Willow and the secret passage underneath it. Yes, Harry, we all know about it. That’s how we knew you were going to the Shrieking Shack. We got there as quickly as we could, but you seemed to have taken care of everything.”


McGonagall seemed to think about the report of the events of the evening for several minutes. She then turned to the others. “Very well, all of you; get to your common rooms before curfew. Miss Granger, we will have to talk about how you taught one of your friends the Animagus transformation without my knowledge… or approval.” Hermione turned white, but Harry noticed a glint of pride in McGonagall’s eyes as she turned to go and thought that Hermione was probably not in trouble, but was going to be congratulated for her accomplishment.


The adults left, giving the students a chance to say good night. Ron kissed Hermione, a little more passionately than usual, before he bid her farewell. Parvati pecked Neville on the cheek, but still looked displeased about his hiding his ability from her. The rest said good night and they made their way back to the common room.
+++++++


Harry lay in his bed, attempting to relax. He was wired from the evening’s events and didn’t feel like sleeping. He closed his mind and began to reach out to his friends. He felt Neville first, sensing a strange mix of pride and apprehension. He seemed to be just about to sleep, so Harry moved on.


Luna was in her common room. She was working on homework, but not really focused on it. She felt sad and lonely. Harry thought about this for a second as he remembered just how isolated she was from the rest of her house. He wondered why the Sorting Hat hadn’t put her in Gryffindor in the first place; she certainly would have fit in well in his house. The loneliness Harry felt from Luna was normal, but the sadness was something that he had never really experienced from her before. He didn’t really know what to make of it.


He moved on to Ron, and was only a little surprised to find that he was not in the common room, where Harry had last seen him, but back in the Hospital Wing. He seemed content and pleased with himself that he managed to get there without being caught. Behave yourself! Harry thought and was pleased to feel the instant tension his words brought to Ron’s mind.


Harry then felt Hermione, and discovered she was in a fitful sleep. He caught snippets of the dream she was having and he didn’t like what he saw: images of werewolves attacking her, and then being taken by Death Eaters. Harry felt the fear rising again in his friend and tried to filter some good thoughts into her mind. After a couple of minutes of him sending fond memories into her mind, she relaxed and was dreaming contentedly about she and Ron at Bill’s wedding. Harry decided it was time to move on.


He felt Ginny and sensed her sleeping contentedly. He caught a few shots of her dreams and was intrigued by what he saw: flashes of him in a tuxedo as she walked down an aisle on her father’s arm. Dancing with him at what was obviously their wedding. Harry broke the connection.


He was surprised by the fact that Ginny dreaming about their future didn’t bother him. He had never really thought much about their future, only that he hoped and prayed they would survive long enough to have one. He decided that he liked, very much, the idea of Ginny dreaming about them.


He was about to nod off when his scar began to prickle. He sat up in his bed, wondering why, since it hadn’t bothered him since the summer. Voldemort must be really angry with someone . He reinforced his mental walls but chose to focus on the mind that seemed to be pushing against them, instead of simply repelling it. He gently reached out to the mind of his enemy, hoping to catch a glimpse of what was going on.


Almost before he realized what was happening, he found himself looking into the faces of Snape and Lucius Malfoy as they stood before the Dark Lord. Harry was seeing through Voldemort’s eyes. He didn’t know if Voldemort knew he was there, but he was going to see all he could see while he could.


“Severus, report,” Voldemort hissed.


“We were unsuccessful, My Lord.” Snape bowed low before his master.


Harry could feel the anger seemingly dripping from Voldemort as he spoke, “And tell me, Lucius, why you have once again failed your master.”


Malfoy kneeled before the Dark Lord. “Master, we were overwhelmed by the Order of the Phoenix.”


“LIAR!” Voldemort shouted and Harry was surprised that he too could sense that Malfoy was lying. “You were defeated by Potter and his little friends, again!!”


Voldemort stood and Harry could feel the Dark Lord’s anger boil over. “Crucio!” Malfoy was struck by the spell and toppled over to his side, screaming in agony. Harry was repulsed by the image of Malfoy writhing in pain.


“Severus, bring the boy in.”


Snape left and returned almost immediately, the screams of Lucius Malfoy still ringing throughout the chamber. Draco Malfoy walked meekly into the room. To Harry, he looked much younger than his seventeen years. He stepped into the room and watched as his father was tortured in front of him.


“You see the price for failure, Draco,” Voldemort spoke, over the screaming.


Voldemort lifted his wand and Malfoy senior was released from the spell. He lay on the ground, convulsing from the trauma of the curse. Harry thought Draco looked like he might be sick, but he still tried to keep an arrogant sneer on his face.


“Yes, My Lord,” the younger Malfoy choked out.


“You have no choice, Draco”serve me well or suffer the consequences. You have failed me twice, and while I am understanding to a point, you must see that another failure would have to be punished most sternly.”


Draco blanched. “Ye”yes, My Lord.”


“Good, are you prepared to do ALL that your master commands?” Voldemort was beginning to brim with excitement, and the feeling nauseated Harry.


Draco brightened up somewhat in anticipation of his new assignment. “Of course, whatever my master commands of me.”


Voldemort laced his fingers together, leaning forward, elbows on his knees, studying the face of the young man before him. “Good, Draco, very good. In that case, your master commands you to kill that.” He glanced over to the prone body of Lucius Malfoy in the corner.


“What!?” Draco said in disbelief. “You want me to kill my father? Why?” Draco had reached a level of paleness that left him looking like a ghost.


“YOU DARE QUESTION MY ORDERS?!”


Snape stepped in front of Draco. “Master, if I may, the boy doesn’t have it in him to kill. Certainly not his own--”


“SILENCE, SEVERUS! Draco, you will do as I have commanded you or you will die yourself!”


Draco raised his wand in a trembling hand. He walked slowly over to his father, who did not seem to have the strength to move or defend himself. The wand’s tip shook as Draco continued to tremble.

Harry, through Voldemort’s eyes, watched as the words slowly started to form on Draco lips.


NO, Harry thought, but he heard the voice of Voldemort say the word. Draco’s head snapped towards the Dark Lord.


Harry knew he had gone too far, but something about watching Draco being forced to kill his own father was simply too much. He began to slowly back away from the mind.


“Leave me,” Voldemort snapped, “and take that miserable lump of filth with you.” Snape and Draco dragged Lucius’s body from the room. As they moved, his head lolled from one side to the other, but his eyes were open, and it was clear he knew that Draco had almost killed him.


When they left the room, Voldemort stood. Harry?


Harry was petrified, and what was worse, he couldn’t break contact with Voldemort’s mind. He raised his walls, but he simply could not break the connection.


My, Harry, you have certainly grown strong since our last little meeting. Too bad you are still no match for me.


All at once, Harry was back in the Department of Mysteries, watching as Hermione was struck down, Sirius fell through the veil and Ron was attacked by the brain.


You see, Harry, no matter how powerful you get, I will always be the stronger one; I will always be able to destroy you. The old fool knew that I would be victorious in this war; it is only a matter of time.


Harry could feel the anger and fear growing inside him and he struggled to clamp it down. He was determined to fight and win this battle. He would win, even if it cost him his life, for those that he loved. The image of Ginny entered his mind and Harry had an idea. He focused on the images of Ginny’s dream that he had seen earlier that evening. Her happiness and his as they danced as husband and wife, the joy they felt in each other’s arms and the satisfaction of finally being together. He focused his mind and poured all the joy and happiness he could into the connection he and Voldemort shared.


Suddenly, a searing pain was building in Harry’s mind, but it wasn’t his pain. It was the pain Voldemort was enduring as he was forced to witness the images Harry showed him. The Department of Mysteries faded and they were again in Voldemort’s study. Harry could tell, by the view he had, that Voldemort was on his hands and knees gasping for breath. He kept the images coming and Voldemort convulsed in pain. He retched on the floor.


And that was just a dream. Good bye, Tom. Harry slammed the mental connection closed. The last thing he felt from Voldemort was blind rage, with just a touch of fear.
+++++++


A/N: So there you go. Krum isn’t a bad guy after all. Loads of thanks go out to my pre-betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear and as always, huge thanks to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. Thanks ladies. I couldn’t do it with out you.


Up next, Harry finds out the consequences for his actions with Voldemort and we take a trip to Spinner’s End; sort of.
Consequences by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse.
I would like Andrea to Mod this please.
++++++

The next day was spent blissfully wandering the grounds and playing wizard chess in the common room. Hermione had been released earlier that morning, and Neville arrived by mid-afternoon. Harry was in high spirits after his mental encounter with Voldemort. It was the first time in a while that he felt truly relaxed, and his companions noticed the change. Finally, that evening, he decided it was time to share why he was in such a good mood.


“YOU WHAT?” Hermione bellowed, drawing several disgruntled looks from the surrounding Gryffindor fifth and seventh years, as they studied late into the evening for their O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s”either because they were behind or because they had left their work until the last minute of the weekend.


“I tapped into Voldemort’s mind and was able to affect him,” Harry declared with a slight grin.


“How did you affect him Harry?” Ron asked, looking a bit paler than usual.


“Well, I, erm,” Harry stammered, trying to decide on the best way of putting it. “I poured a really good, happy thought into him and it hurt him”the way he used to hurt me when he was attacking my mind.” Harry watched the reactions of his friends: Ron looked excited although pale, Ginny looked absolutely gleeful and Hermione looked torn.


“Harry,” Hermione began, “do you realize how dangerous that was? He could have taken control of you or hurt you.”


“I know that, Hermione, but we needed to see if I could do anything to him”you know, to hurt him, and this just seemed like the perfect time to do it. He seemed really emotional, so I thought it would work to my advantage, which it did. He didn’t know I was there until I told Malfoy to stop.”


“Why did you do that?” Ron exclaimed. “You could’ve let Malfoy finish off his dad, and that’d be one less Death Eater to deal with.”


Harry sat thinking for a moment. “I don’t really know,” he said finally. “I suppose, I didn’t want to see Malfoy become a killer if he didn’t have to. Professor Dumbledore said that killing is really hard for someone who has never done it before. That’s why Malfoy wouldn’t have killed him on the Astronomy Tower that night. I guess I sort of felt sorry for him.”


They all sat in silence for several minutes, thinking on what Harry had just said. Finally, it was Ginny who picked up the conversation again. “So, what did you think about?” she purred, tugging on his arm. She wore an impish grin as she looked at Harry.


Harry blushed slightly, wondering how much to reveal about his ability to see her dreams. “Well, I’m not sure I should tell you.”


Ron immediately perked up. “What were you thinking, Harry?”


“Well, it was more like what Ginny was…dreaming last night,” Harry declared, turning bright red. He watched as Ginny, thought back to the dream she had had the previous evening. Almost immediately she blushed a wonderful shade of crimson.


“What?” Ron yelped, “What were you dreaming about, Ginny?”


Hermione turned Ron’s face to hers. “It’s nothing, Ron. If it is the one that Ginny told me about, then it’s no big deal.” Ginny nodded to Hermione, who in turn lifted her left hand, showing off her engagement ring.


Ron looked confused for a second, but finally realized that Ginny had been dreaming of her and Harry getting married.


“What’s the difference? It’s only a dream, anyway,” Ginny declared. Harry thought that while her tone was confident, she looked a little sick.


The group grew silent again as each went back to their studies. Harry closed his mind and reached out for Ginny. He could feel the nervous tension in her mind”concern that she would scare him off and make him think she expected wedding bells or a ring like Hermione. He smiled and thought, I liked what I saw.


Ginny jerked her head up and stared at Harry. She smiled and then kissed him fiercely, drawing a warning look from Ron.


When the kiss concluded, and Harry had recovered, he slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled out the small vial he had taken from the Shrieking Shack the previous evening. “Hermione, what do you make of this?”


He passed the vial to Hermione, and she quickly looked deep in thought. After several minutes, she passed it back to Harry. “I don’t know. It looks like it may be memories, but I can’t be sure. Where did you get it?”


“Last night, in the Shrieking Shack.”


Hermione’s face clouded over, and Harry could tell she was having more difficulty with what had happened than she let on.


“I think Snape left it when he and Malfoy escaped,” Harry continued.


“Why would he do something like that?” Ginny inquired.


“I don’t really know; in fact, nothing he did last night makes any sense. He knew about the trap door to the Shack”he used it in my third year. Why not cover it?” Harry commented.


Ron, his arm moving instinctively around Hermione in silent comfort, snarled, “Well, he is just a stupid git after all.”


Harry looked displeased. “He’s certainly a git, but he isn’t stupid. He wouldn’t have made this kind of mistake unless there was a reason behind it. If those are memories, maybe he’s trying to get a message to me somehow.”


“Or this could be some elaborate trap!” Hermione declared, more forcefully than she needed to. “Harry, you can’t look at those memories alone, all right!?”


Ginny turned to Hermione, who had unshed tears in her eyes. “What’s wrong?”


Hermione angrily swiped at her eyes. “Nothing’s wrong, I’m just tired. Harry, promise you won’t look at those alone.” The fierceness of her look told Harry it was better to agree at this point.


“Okay, Hermione, I won’t.”
+++++


The following couple of days went smoothly and happily for Harry. His studies were going well, he had a little spare time to spend with Ginny, and even his training sessions were getting better. Ron had finally thrown off the Imperius Curse, although it did take him almost an hour of fighting it.

He was also quite enjoying the most recent story from the Hogwarts rumour mill. Neville had become the talk of the school, yet again. The details of Hermione’s abduction were not revealed, but that didn’t stop the rumours from flying fast and furious. Enough information had leaked out so a rather interesting tale had developed. By the time Neville was out of the Hospital Wing, it had been declared that he had single-handedly saved Hermione and Viktor Krum from a werewolf attack in the Forbidden Forest.


The school seemed shocked that Ron didn’t act adversely, affected by the fact that his fiancée had been in the forest with her former boyfriend, and since the story provided a reasonable cover for the actual events, Harry and his friends decided to ignore it. This proved more difficult for Neville than the others, but he was willing to put up with it if it helped Harry.


By Wednesday, Harry believed that he might be in his great mood forever and wondered if this was what life was like for normal people, not living out a prophetic destiny. That morning, however, his world came crashing back to reality.


“Have you seen the Prophet?” Hermione asked, looking pale.


Harry had just sat down for breakfast, so he hadn’t seen the morning paper yet. Hermione handed it to him, her hands shaking. As Harry read, he felt his appetite disappear, and then his bright mood collapsed in the details of the war.


Voldemort had responded. The night before, there had been no less than fifteen attacks throughout England and Scotland. London had been attacked by a giant, although the Muggle press called it a tornado. In Edinburgh, three Wizarding families had been murdered in their sleep. Glasgow reported multiple Dementor attacks. The total death toll reached nearly two hundred.


Harry was terror-struck as image after image of the Dark Mark was seen in the paper. His heart raced until he finally slammed the paper down. He looked up in time to see Neville walk in with Parvati, the boy looking haggard and upset, while Parvati looked sad and a little put out.


“Have you guys seen Luna?” Neville asked in a quite voice.


They all turned and noticed that she was not sitting at her usual spot at the Ravenclaw table. Ginny looked back at Neville. “What happened?”


Neville looked almost stricken. “Last night a group of Death Eaters killed her dad.” This was answered by shocked gasps from both Ginny and Hermione, while Ron turned red with anger and Harry’s shoulders slumped. “Professor Sprout and Professor Flitwick were talking about it in the greenhouses this morning, and I heard them. Flitwick had to tell Luna, since he’s the head of Ravenclaw.” Neville looked on the verge of breaking down at this point and Parvati placed a comforting hand on his arm. She then guided him back out of the Great Hall.


Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, virtually sleepwalked through the day. Their thoughts refused to focus on their classes; instead, they were thinking about Luna, and how they could help her. They didn’t see her the entire day, and when they went to check with Headmistress McGonagall about it, she simply said that Luna was being taken care of, and it was left at that.


That evening after training, which went terribly, Harry was extremely restless. Finally, after several failed attempts to focus on his studies, he got up and left the common room. By unspoken agreement, the others let him go, knowing that he needed some time alone to think.


Harry walked the castle, blaming himself for the events that had transpired. He thought about the death toll and believed it to be his fault. See what your arrogance has wrought, POTTER! rang in his ears, although the voice sounded remarkably like Snape’s.


Frustrated, he opened his eyes and shoved his hands into his pockets. I need to do something! he shouted at himself. His fingers brushed the glass vial in his pocket and a thought occurred to him. I still need to look at this memory; maybe then I’ll at least have some answers. Still angry and frustrated, he trudged back towards Gryffindor Tower.


Twenty minutes later, he and the others stood in the Room of Requirement, Dumbledore’s Pensieve sitting on a table in front of them. As if alive, the silver liquid was wafting gently in the bowl, as the boys began to lean over the table. They planned on entering the memory while Ginny and Hermione stood watch. If it was a trap, the girls could go for help.


“You sure you want to do this?” Ron asked, his nervousness evident.


“We need to. We need to know for sure what side Snape’s on,” Harry responded as he withdrew his wand. He tapped on the surface of the liquid and watched as the image of Snape standing in a shabby room came into focus.


Ron and Harry both leaned over the Pensieve, their faces almost touching the silvery surface, until the feeling of falling headfirst into the stone basin was evident.


Seconds later, Harry and Ron found themselves standing in a small sitting room, which had the feeling of a dank, dingy cell. From floor to ceiling were shelves bulging with brown and black leather volumes. The only bits of furniture were a tattered and worn sofa, an old armchair that didn’t look nearly as comfortable as the ones from the common room, and a spindly table with a candle upon it casting a dim light.


Standing behind the sofa was the menacing figure of Severus Snape, sneering in their general direction. Harry saw that Ron had drawn his wand and pointed it directly at the former Potions master. “It’s just a memory, remember?”


Ron slowly lowered his wand, and blushed slightly for his overreaction. Harry didn’t blame him, as he too had felt the urge to curse the man standing in front of him. Anger and resentment began to boil over in Harry’s mind and he wondered if this was such a good idea after all.


For a long minute, Snape merely stood there, a grim, angry expression on his face, his eyes nearly covered by his greasy black hair. Then finally, the silence was broken. “Well, Potter, I am assuming that you received my gift and are now very interested in finding out what this is a memory of.”


Revulsion began to rise in Harry as he stared at the man now speaking in front of him. He took a step to the side, to avoid having to look directly into the Snape’s snarling face.


Snape continued, “No doubt, you are trying to figure out just what is happening, but, I’m quite sure, having no success. Sorry, Potter, but celebrity only goes SO far.”


Harry’s rage grew to an almost incontrollable level. He glanced at Ron, and noticed him getting redder at the insults as well. Opening his mouth to respond, Harry was cut off as Snape resumed his discourse.


“There is no point to attempting a witty response since I can’t hear you anyway. Now is not the time for you to speak, but to listen. Something I hope for all our sakes you do better than you did in class.


“I have arranged this little meeting to provide you with some information that you may find useful. Believe me when I say that this is not out of some great loyalty to you or the band of fools in the Order, but out of respect for Dumbledore. He is the only one who ever really trusted me.”


“And you killed him for it,” murmured Ron, under his breath.


“Just in case you doubt my credibility, let me simply tell you that it was I who reset the Portkey when you were abducted from the Ministry. It was originally set to send you to a much more secure location”one in which Nagini was not located. I set it to have you arrive in the back garden, where Nagini was having a nap, allowing you to kill her and thus destroy a Horcrux. It was I who then slowed the progress of the other Death Eaters, and you may tell Weasley that he owes his life to me. If I had not stumbled into Nott when he fired his Bludgeoning Charm, then Mr. Weasley’s skull would have been broken, instead of his leg.


“I’m aware of the location of one of the Horcruxes. I know that Dumbledore had you searching for them, although I can’t imagine why he would trust you for such an important task. The Hufflepuff Horcrux”the golden goblet of Helga Hufflepuff”is in a house currently owned by Earl Vanderschamp. He lives in London with his wife. When you go, enter the first room on your right. There is a false wall there…”


Over the next ten minutes, Snape described the exact layout of the location for the Hufflepuff Horcrux. He even mentioned a counter-curse for the flaming sphere that surrounded the cup itself. Harry’s frustration grew more and more as he realized that the information was useless to him.


Finally, Snape concluded, “You can use this information or not; it makes very little difference to me. Just remember my help if you and the Order do manage to confront the Dark Lord.”


Snape turned as if he were leaving, then looked back. “I’m sure you are wondering about the Astronomy Tower. Rest assured that it was part of a plan that Dumbledore himself devised. That is all YOU have the right to know.”


Abruptly, the image and surroundings faded and Harry and Ron felt themselves land, once again, in the Room of Requirement. Hermione and Ginny were standing nervously in front of them.


Anger was evident on Harry’s face as he related the story and all they had seen. Ginny and Hermione both seemed deep in thought as he concluded.


After a couple of minutes of silence, Hermione finally spoke, “So the description of the Vanderschamp’s house was accurate?” Harry nodded. “Then it seems that Snape really is on our side.”


Ginny agreed and added, “And that Voldemort doesn’t know how far along we are. At least Snape doesn’t know that we are further along in our search, otherwise he wouldn’t have gone to all the trouble of getting this to us, right?”


“I suppose so, but it doesn’t really help much. It just means that I don’t get to fire curses at him the next time I see him,” Harry replied, looking at the ceiling. “I’m still not really convinced.”


Ron was quiet, and Harry was sure he was thinking about the implications of owing his life to Snape. Slowly, the group made their way back to the Gryffindor common room, not feeling any better about the situation, even with the information they had gained.
++++++

A/N: Welcome back to the story for all of us that have enjoyed the release of DH. I hope that this story will continue to be a fun alternate ending to Harry’s story for you all. Thanks again go out to my prebetas cableguysmom and Kerrbear and to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC, with out whom none of this story would be possible.


Up next, we find another Horcrux, but it isn’t what you think.
Mind Trap by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse.
I would like Andrea (ravensgryff) to moderate this please.
++++++


The rest of the week passed as the sadness of the attacks slowly began to diminish for most of the school. Luna had temporarily left school, and was staying with an aunt while arrangements were made for her father’s funeral. Harry and his friends remained subdued most of the week, although they too seemed to brighten by week’s end.


Sunday morning in the Great Hall found Harry, Hermione and Ginny sitting down for breakfast, feeling almost normal for the first time since the previous Wednesday. Harry was just reaching for some bacon when he noticed Professor Slughorn walking purposefully towards their table. Sighing quietly to himself, he looked at the ceiling, wishing that he could find a way to avoid this conversation. He noticed the owl post was arriving.


“Harry, my boy, how are you this glorious day?” Slughorn said with a wide grin.


“Fine, Professor, getting ready to go work on the essay you set for homework this weekend,” Harry replied and watched as the owls swooped around looking to make their deliveries.


“Oh, don’t concern yourself with that, my boy. That can wait until tomorrow. However, I do want to talk with you about class.”


Here it comes, Harry thought. He hadn’t done nearly as well in Potions this year as he had done the previous year. “About class, sir?” Harry saw two small brown owls begin to descend towards their table.


“Well yes, Harry, I’ve been concerned that you haven’t done as well in class this year,” Slughorn began.


PLOP.


“Oh, this stupid, foul creature,” Hermione shouted as once again she was covered in oatmeal, as the owl struggled to extricate himself from her bowl.


Slughorn seemed a bit distracted by the scene, but quickly ploughed ahead. “As I said, you haven’t done as well in class this year. Nothing like last year, anyway, so I would be willing to tutor you if you want.”


Harry barely heard what Slughorn was saying as he watched Hermione attempt to clean her robes. He then noticed Ginny folding a small piece of parchment that the second owl had delivered to her. She seemed to be fighting a laugh, and losing.


“Harry, it’s not that you aren’t doing well”certainly you are”but someone with your background should be top of your class.” Hermione hrrumphed. “So what do you say, my boy? Perhaps you could come by my office, say a couple evenings a week?”


Harry finally realized what Slughorn was saying and became mortified. He had been doing his best to avoid Slughorn all year and to avoid the “Slug Club,” and now he was being told he would need to meet with the man several times a week. “Professor, thank you, but I don’t really think that’s necessary. I don’t want to take up more of your time or anything. I’ll just work harder, and will be up to scratch in no time.”


Slughorn looked disappointed as he got up to leave. “Very well, Harry, but if your marks don’t improve, then I am afraid I’ll have to insist.” He walked away towards the staff table.


Harry noticed that Ginny was still fighting her losing battle with laughter as Hermione was attempting to remove her breakfast from her hair. By now, both her hands were engaged in pulling out sticky knots of oatmeal and untangling her unruly brown curls.


Hermione looked very displeased with the entire table and let them know. “Ginny, please don’t laugh at me like that. I have a hard enough time with my hair without having oatmeal splattered into it every other day. Harry, I know what you are thinking of for Potions, and let me just tell you it is a very bad idea.”


“I don’t really have a choice now, do I, Hermione?” Harry retorted.


“Choice in what?” Ron asked sleepily, sitting down next to Hermione at the table. He noticed her distress and continued, “Owl again?” Hermione simply nodded as she removed the last bit of goo from her hair.


“In using Snape’s Potions book for the rest of the year. Slughorn just told me he would tutor me if my marks didn’t improve. I didn’t realize they were that bad.”


“Ah, Harry,” Hermione sighed again. “They aren’t that bad; he just wants to spend time with you and have some influence over you when we leave school. You haven’t been going to his meetings, so he is trying to find a way to become your friend.” She got up to leave. “I have to go take another shower, otherwise my hair is going to be sticky all day.”


Ron watched her go, “So, Harry, when you get the book, you gonna let me work with you? I know that my marks aren’t as good as yours.”


Harry smiled, “Sure thing. I guess I will go ahead and get it.” He got up to leave and Ginny rose to go with him.


“Just leaving me here to eat all by myself?” Ron asked in mock dejection.


Ginny quickly scanned the Great Hall, nearly empty since breakfast was almost over. “No, Ron, look”Millicent Bulstrode is still eating. I’m sure she would love some company.” Ginny smiled and turned to leave as Ron made a face and returned to his breakfast.


Harry and Ginny walked down the hall towards the Room of Requirement holding hands. He loved the feeling of her hand entwined with his. It provided a sense of peace and purpose. It reminded him that he was fighting for something very dear to him. As they walked, Ginny looked at him, again fighting not to laugh. “You want to know why Hermione’s post owl always lands in her breakfast?”


Harry turned and she thrust a piece of parchment into his hand. He read as they walked.

Hi Sis,

Does Hermione like her post owl? We charmed it to land in the plate or bowl of food closest to her whenever that owl gets assigned to deliver her
Daily Prophet. Brilliant, huh?! Fred thinks we can market the idea but we don’t know how to do it in mass yet. Don’t tell her or Ronniekins though. It started out as a ‘why are you dating my prat of a brother present’ but now will be a pre-wedding present for them.


Tell Harry he had better be making us proud there, since he is the only one that we can still claim as our own, not being a prefect and all.

And tell him he had better be behaving himself with you, too.

Love, Gred and Forge,
Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, Inc.



Harry almost doubled over with laughter as he read the note. He was not terribly pleased with the warning about him and Ginny, but the idea of the twins managing to charm a post owl was incredible”the power and imagination of those two was amazing.


They both regained their composure and finally arrived at the entrance to the Room of Requirement. Harry marched back and forth in front of the tapestry of dancing trolls. I need the place where my book is hidden… I need the place where my book is hidden … I need the place where my book is hidden.


The door appeared and he and Ginny walked in, finding the old storage room in which Harry had hidden the book nearly a year before. Rows upon rows of discarded contraband items filled the room as far as Harry could see. It took several minutes for him to remember which row to travel down. Finally, after choosing incorrectly twice, he found the correct path.


He and Ginny walked slowly down the aisle, and Harry saw the bust he had used to mark the spot for his book. He then saw the old tarnished tiara sitting on top of the bust and a thought in his mind snapped into place. He stopped dead in his tracks, causing Ginny to be yanked backward by the arm.


“Harry, what are you…” she began.


“That’s the tiara I saw in the portrait of Rowena Ravenclaw. That could be the final Horcrux.” Harry took another step towards the bust, but just as he did so, he heard the door to the room open and close again.


Harry whirled around, listening, pulling Ginny next to him. He placed a finger to his lips to keep her from speaking. There was a soft click as the latch on the door caught and was locked.


Two sets of footsteps began down the hallway. It was surprising to Harry that the intruders seemed to make no effort to hide their presence in the room. How did they get in?


Harry and Ginny slowly started to inch their way towards the end of the row they had traveled down. Harry wanted to tell Ginny to wait but couldn’t risk the noise. After several halting steps he raised his mental walls to tell her to wait. He immediately felt the presence of Ron and Hermione walking towards them.


Harry visibly relaxed, something that Ginny noticed that Harry had relaxed. “What is it?” she whispered.


Smiling, Harry turned back to Ginny. “It’s Ron and Hermione,” Harry shouted. “Probably wanted to come in here for a snog; otherwise they would have let us know they were here.” He was disappointed to find they were not the least bit embarrassed.


Coming around the corner, Hermione proclaimed, “We intended nothing of the sort. Ron told me you two were coming up here to look for that stupid book, so I decided to come and try again to talk you out of it.”


“Besides, we have much better places to snog than this,” Ron announced, drawing a swat from Hermione.


“So, Harry, do you really think…what are you smiling at?” Hermione questioned, noticing for the first time the large grin spread across Harry’s face.


Harry motioned them all towards the bust with the tiara on its head. “This may be the last Horcrux. Dumbledore said he thought one of them was here. This looks just like the tiara that Ravenclaw is wearing in the portrait.


The four teens examined the tiara for a moment, in awe. “It sort of looks like Aunt Muriel’s, doesn’t it, Ron?” Ginny declared.


“How should I know?” Ron responded.


Ginny glared back at him. “Well, you certainly wore it often enough when we were kids.” Ron flushed pink, while Harry and Hermione stared wide-eyed at him.


Ron seemed to have a retort on his lips when Hermione cut him off. “As interesting as Ron’s childhood dressing habits are, we need to know if this really is a Horcrux.”


Harry again raised his mental walls and focused on the tiara. “Nothing,” he said flatly. “There isn’t the least bit of dark magic in this thing.” Disappointment settled over Harry like a wet towel. He had been sure this was it and that, perhaps, the war could end soon.


His despair was shared by the others, as they all let out a frustrated sigh. “Well, that puts us back to square one on this, doesn’t it?” Ron spoke up. “Harry, you may as well grab the book and let’s get out of here.”


Harry went to remove the book from the cupboard in which it was hidden. He moved the cage with the five-legged skeleton and went to place it on a nearby crate. He unceremoniously dropped the cage on top of the crate, as Ron and Hermione moved back toward the main corridor, and turned to retrieve the book. As he did so, the front of the crate fell away. He grabbed the book and turned, noticing for the first time that Ginny was crouching in front of the now open crate. With his mental walls up, he quickly saw the strong red glow coming from the book that had been hidden in the wooden box. He also saw that Ginny was reaching for it.


Harry moved quickly, reaching out and grabbing Ginny’s shoulder. “Ginny, no!” But it was too late. Ginny grasped the book just as Harry took her shoulder, and with a brief flash of light, they felt themselves being pulled from the Room of Requirement.
++++++


Harry didn’t know how long or how far they traveled. He also didn’t know what form of travel this had been. It hadn’t felt like Apparating or taking a Portkey, but they had certainly gone somewhere. He was still clutching Ginny’s shoulder as the feeling of movement finally subsided.


They found themselves standing in a field. It was dark, like night, though no stars were visible. A faint light in the distant seemed to grow and capture their focus. “Harry, where are we?” Ginny questioned, obviously scared.


“I don’t know; do you have your wand?” he asked, drawing his own. He watched as she reached for hers but found nothing.


“I had it at breakfast. I don’t leave my room without it, but it’s gone.”


“It’s okay, I’ve got mine. Whatever’s going on, we have to stick together and find a way back to Hogwarts,” Harry assured her. He began to concentrate on the area around them. As his eyes grew used to lack of light, he started to see his surroundings.


“I know this place,” Ginny announced. “It’s my backyard.” The confusion was evident in her words. “How did we get to the Burrow?”


Harry stared dumbly at her for a moment, then noticed the outline of the old bedraggled house in the distance. They both began walking towards it.


“What do you fear?”


Ginny jumped. “What was that?”


Harry stopped. “What was what?” he whispered.


“Someone just whispered, ‘What do you fear?’ You didn’t hear it?” Ginny said, panic beginning to show.


“No, I didn’t hear a thing,” Harry responded, taking her hand.


As he did so, light burst on the scene, as if noon had sprung from midnight. They both shielded their eyes from the new glare until they adjusted.


The backyard was full of Weasleys. Harry could see younger versions of Fred and George being chased by Percy. Charlie was flying his broom towards the field that had served as a Quidditch pitch for years. Ginny’s mum and dad sat watching the scene. Then what looked to be a much younger Ron and Ginny came tumbling from behind a tree on the edge of the yard. They were both laughing and giggling, as they got up and brushed themselves off.


Harry and Ginny were completely perplexed by the scene. Then, with a loud scream, Mrs. Weasley ran towards the makeshift Quidditch pitch. Mr. Weasley was right behind her. Within a minute or two, Mr. Weasley was rushing back up towards the house, carrying the still form of Bill.


Beside Harry, Ginny gasped, “I remember this. I was seven and Bill took a terrible fall from his broom. He was in St. Mungo’s for weeks. I was scared to death every time he flew for years after that.”


Harry pondered this for a moment before the scene changed before their eyes. This time they were standing at the train station, on platform nine and three quarters. Harry watched the familiar scene play out, as the train began to pull away.


“What do you fear?”


For the first time, Harry saw the conversation that had taken place after the train moved around the corner. He watched as Ginny disintegrated into tears. He heard her talking about being all alone, and never getting to do anything fun.


Ginny was looking embarrassed. “I really did think that Ron was never going to come back and even if he did, he would never want to play with his stupid little sister anymore. Especially with friends like…well like you.” Her cheeks grew even redder.


“Well, you know that didn’t happen.”


The scene changed again, and this time a palpable change occurred within Ginny. They were in the Chamber of Secrets. Ginny’s lifeless form was lying in front of Tom Riddle.


Ginny squeezed Harry’s hand so tight, it hurt, but he made no move to release her grasp. They watched as slowly but surely Tom became more distinct and real, until finally he was whole, and eleven-year-old Ginny was dead.


“That’s not what happened,” Harry shouted.


Tom looked up at the noise and smiled. He walked towards Harry and Ginny, who were stunned that he acknowledged them. No one else had.


Harry looked at Ginny, who had gone extremely pale and was beginning to tremble; he pointed his wand towards Riddle.


Tom approached to within a few feet, stopped, and smiled. “Did you miss me, Ginevra?”


Harry forcefully stepped in front of Tom, pushing Ginny behind, shielding her with his body. He could feel her trembling behind him. “What is this?”


“Who are you?” Tom asked, a curious look on his face.


“You know damn well who I am. I’m the one who destroyed you last time and I’ll do it again,” Harry shouted.


Tom stood motionless as Harry leveled his wand at him. “Curious, I know Ginevra”we have had many wonderful moments together”but you… I have no memory of you. Let’s see what we can see.” At that moment the look on Tom’s face changed from careless to acute concentration.


Harry felt the assault on his mind, but was able to block it with very little effort. After a moment or two, Tom stopped and his calm expression returned.


“My, you are the powerful one,” he said coolly. “No matter, we aren’t here to see what you fear. No, we are exploring dear Ginevra’s fears. I can tell that the first two were mere trifles, but this, this is something that she truly is afraid of. Tell me, Ginevra, how much do you fear this place?”


Ginny moved out from behind Harry, refusing to cower before Tom Riddle anymore. “I don’t. Harry saved me and defeated you. Why should I fear you?”


“Ohhh, so that is what happened. I see. Well, what you say is true; you don’t seem to fear me, although this place still holds a great deal of fear for you, so I think we’ll stay here; but what do you truly fear?” Again, the look of concentration was fixed upon Tom’s face.


Harry stepped in front of Tom and broke his concentration. “Stop this!”


Tom waved his hand and Harry was sent flying across the room, landing in a heap near the wall.


Ginny gasped and Harry knew that Tom was invading her mind.
“Stupefy!” he yelled. The spell never hit its mark. It was not deflected nor did he miss. It simply evaporated.


Ginny was growing paler; tears had formed in her eyes and her knees seemed to buckle. Harry fired another spell at Tom, but again the spell simply disappeared. Finally, desperate, Harry attempted to shield Ginny from the mental assault, using his own mind. He reached out to her and tried to envelope her mind with his.


He immediately felt the strain she was feeling. He could see the images that raced across her mind:
Images of her brothers dying, this way and that, images of Harry with other girls, images of Voldemort standing triumphant over Harry’s dead body. Then a final image, the probe stopped, and Harry understood what was happening.


This was the trap. The Horcrux would imprison whomever touched it in their own mind, making them face and fall to their worst fears. Finally, after a while, the person would be so exhausted from battling their own mental demons, they would certainly be no match for Voldemort.


“The enemy must weaken himself,” Harry whispered Dumbledore’s words.


Ginny collapsed on the floor, panting. Harry raced over to her, cradling her head in his hands. Her forehead was drenched in sweat and she was shaking all over.


Tom began to laugh. “See, that wasn’t so hard,” he said, a smile curling his lips. His face began to contort and change from that of sixteen-year-old Tom Riddle, to the red-eyed face of Voldemort. He laughed again, the high pitched, insane laugh of the most evil dark wizard of the age. “Now let’s see what we can make of this.



“Imperio!”


Ginny stiffened, stood and walked directly in front of Voldemort. The Dark Lord laughed again. “You see, Ginny, you fear that the Dark Lord will use you to destroy those you love. Especially young Harry Potter. Well, let me assure you that your weakness will be a great asset in the destruction of my enemies. Let’s see, whom shall we destroy first? Perhaps--”


The image of Voldemort snapped his fingers, and standing before them was Neville Longbottom. “Kill this fool!” Voldemort spat.


Ginny shuddered but raised her right hand, which was now holding a wand. The wand wavered for an instant.


Voldemort looked back at Ginny. “So weak, would you like me to show you?”



“Avada Kedavra!” Green light shot from the end of Ginny’s wand, striking Neville. “Now, Ginevra, you see how easy it is? Let’s try again.”


Snap!


Ron stood before Ginny. Harry watched as once again Ginny raised her wand, pointing it directly at Ron’s chest. A tear trickled down Ginny’s cheek as she fought for control of her own mind. Harry again reached out with his mind, only to be blocked.


Voldemort looked at Harry. “NO CHEATING!” he shouted. He turned back to Ginny. “Kill this fool, or are you still too weak?”


The wand trembled and shook in her hand, and Harry knew that if she actually allowed herself to fire, it would probably cost her her sanity.


After several moments, Voldemort again spoke. “Still not willing to do what is necessary. Don’t you see, Ginevra, that the only escape is to do what I say? Not ready yet? All right.” He again cast the killing curse from Ginny’s wand, and Ron slumped on the floor. “Let’s try someone you don’t like. Someone you have been jealous of for years.”



Snap.


Hermione stood before them. Harry was dumbfounded and desperate. He needed to find some way of helping Ginny out of this but he didn’t know how. “Ginny,” he shouted.


“Silencio!” Voldemort said without turning toward Harry. Harry was then unable to speak again.


“This one you have been so envious of, Ginevra. She’s smarter, older, gets to spend all sorts of time with Harry. In fact…” Voldemort snapped his fingers again.


Harry found himself standing in front of Ginny, holding Hermione’s hand. He tried to let go, but could not move.


“See, Ginevra, she has everything you don’t have. What are you prepared to do?”


Harry watched the look on Ginny’s face harden into a scowl. The wand stopped trembling and was leveled at his heart. He attempted to speak but no words would come.


“There we are. Conquer your weakness. Conquer your fear, by giving into it. It will be so much easier now.” Voldemort leaned into Ginny, whispering into her ear. “Give into that which you fear and it will be destroyed.”


Harry watched the words form on her lips. She made eye contact with him and began to speak
, “Avada--” then she stopped.


“Come, come, this has gone on long enough, Ginevra, prove to me that you are not weak. That you are not afraid to do what is necessary!” Voldemort exclaimed, seeming to lose patience. He waved his hand and Harry and Hermione were kissing.


Harry tried to break away, but again he could not control his own body.


“No,” Ginny whispered. Harry and Hermione stopped.


“What?” Voldemort stated.


“I said no,” Ginny responded in a stronger tone. “I won’t do it.”


“You have no choice in the matter. You aren’t strong enough to defy me!”


Ginny turned and pointed the wand at Voldemort’s chest. “I won’t hurt the people I love. Not for you, nor for anyone!” she shouted.


Voldemort then began to laugh. “Is that so? Perhaps then you choose to stay trapped in your own mind forever. The only way out is to kill them.”


“I could kill you,” Ginny replied, a maniacal gleam forming in her eyes.


Voldemort’s laughter stopped. “You kill me, Ginevra, you die as well. I am your mind. You can’t live without your mind. I die, you die.”


Ginny didn’t waver. “There are things worse than death, Tom.”



“Avada Kedavra!”


Before Harry could move to stop her, Ginny fired the killing curse directly into the chest of the image of Voldemort. When the spell made contact, the Dark Lord and Ginny both fell to the ground, and Harry’s world went black.
+++++


A/N: I hope you all enjoyed that little excursion into Ginny’s fears. Sorry the cliff hanger but they are just so much fun. Thanks as always go out to Cableguysmom and Kerrbear for their help in getting this chapter into decent shape. Thanks also to Ginny Guerra and JenC for polishing it up and making it easy to read. Thanks Ladies

Up Next, we see if Ginny survived and how Harry handles the aftermath.
Awakening by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe. I would like Andrea (Ravensgryff) to moderate this chapter, please.
++++++


Harry awoke feeling awful. His arms and legs felt as if they were encased in granite. His eyes refused to open and his head throbbed with every intake of breath. Slowly, his addled brain began to function. He concentrated on little things. He tried to move but nothing would respond. He attempted to reconstruct the events that had brought him to this place, but his mind was still too jumbled to make sense of anything yet, except the pain in his back and a desperate sense of loss that he couldn’t explain.


Voices broke the silence.


“I think he may be waking up.”


“How can you tell? He looks just the same as he has for the past four days.”


Four days? Have I been here that long? Harry wondered.


“His breathing is different; I don’t know, it seems like he’s breathing less deeply. Maybe that means he is waking up.” Harry recognized the voice to be male but couldn’t wrap his mind around whose it was.


“Any news on--”


“No,” came from a third voice. Harry thought this voice sounded angry but also dreadfully sad. “Sorry, it’s just been a terribly difficult few days.”


“That’s fine, Arthur,” a fourth male voice sounded.


Arthur? Do I know Arthur?


Harry listened as the conversation died away for several long minutes. Finally, he made another attempt to open his eyes. He was surprised that this time his eyelids obeyed the request, and his surroundings became visible to him”blurry, but visible nonetheless. As he opened his eyes, he also noticed his mind becoming clearer.


“What happened?” Harry groaned, gently turning his head to see the four men sitting around his bedside. He noticed a shock of blurry red hair, a man with a strange blue circle on his face, approximately where his eye should be. Two figures stood behind them and Harry couldn’t see anything distinctive about them.


“Harry, you’re awake,” Mr. Weasley said, rising from his seat.


“We were expecting you to sort that out for us there, Mr. Potter,” Moody’s gravely voice sounded from the other side of the bed.


Mr. Weasley stepped closer to the head of the bed and handed Harry his glasses. Grateful, Harry placed them on his nose and the world immediately cleared up for him. He noticed Remus and Abe standing behind Moody. All the adults wore sad, tired expressions. Then Harry noticed Mr. Weasley’s face. He had never seen it so haggard-looking. Days of stubble had formed on his chin; worry lines etched his normally jovial features. This was a shell of the man he had met years ago in the Burrow. Harry couldn’t look him in the eye.


“So, Potter, do you mind telling us what happened?” Moody interjected, as Arthur retook his seat.


“I don’t really know. I was in the Great Hall. We had been talking about …” Harry’s eyes began to rove the ceiling as he racked his brain for the information. “We were talking about Potions, and my marks not being good enough. I had to get my old Potions book.” As the memories began to come, Harry’s eyes grew wide in shock and fear. He finally remembered the last thing he’d seen: Ginny killing Tom Riddle, and collapsing herself. “Where’s Ginny?” he asked frantically.


It didn’t seem possible, but Arthur grew more sombre and pale at the mention of his daughter’s name. “She’s in another room, Harry. Please tell us what happened to you both.”


“Where did you find us?” Harry asked, his fear for Ginny growing by the moment.


“You were in the Room of Requirement. Ron said you and Ginny just fell unconscious in there. He didn’t know why. Tonks and I happened to be in the school and we found you both lying on the floor. You were clutching Ginny’s shoulder and she was holding this.” Remus produced a large leather-bound book from under his robes. “Where did you find this book, Harry?”


“I need to know if Ginny’s all right first!” Harry exclaimed.


Remus placed a comforting hand on Arthur’s arm and gave a weak smile. “She’s unconscious and has been for the last four days, just like you.”


Relief washed over Harry, but before he could speak, he heard a voice in his head.


Harry?


It was Ginny’s voice.


Ginny? You contact me? Are you awake”are you all right? Harry thought.


Yeah, I am really weak, though. I woke up a few minutes ago and I heard you. Are you all right?


I am now.


“Harry, are you all right? What’s going on?” Remus asked.


“Ginny’s awake,” Harry responded with a small grin. “She woke up at the same time I did.”


As Harry leaned back on his bed, feeling exhausted again, the door to the other part of the Hospital Wing slammed open. Ron rushed through smiling broadly. “Ginny’s awake!”


“We know,” Abe said with a slight smile.


Ron then looked over at the bed and noticed for the first time that Harry was awake as well. “Harry’s awake!”


“We know that too,” Remus interjected with a smile.


“I have to tell mum and Hermione and Ginny!” Ron shouted, already heading for the door.


“Should we tell him that they already know?” Abe asked Harry, with a knowing smile.


“No, he can use the run; it will be good for his conditioning for Quidditch.” Harry smiled at Abe, although he wasn’t sure what Abe was grinning for.


“Could we please get back to what in the bloody hell Harry and Ginny were doing unconscious in the Room of Requirement and what this book has to do with it?” Moody growled from his seat.


Harry stared at the book for several seconds, trying to decide how much to say. Finally, he decided that it was time to explain what he had been doing: The mission to find the Horcruxes and destroy them, so he could then defeat Voldemort.


“This is going to be a long story, and I don’t want to tell it twice. Could we talk about it with everyone gathered?” Harry questioned. “Could Bill check the book, and see if there are any curses left on it?”


Moody nodded in agreement, although he looked very put out by not finding out what was going on immediately.
+++++++


Two hours later, Harry and his five companions, along with Bill, Charlie, Moody, Abe, Remus, Tonks, Arthur and Molly all sat in a private section of the Hospital Wing. Professor McGonagall had arranged the private setting, Harry sat in one bed while Ginny sat in another.


Harry looked nervously around the room at all the adults waiting for him to explain what he had been doing for the past six months. Finally, after receiving an encouraging nod from Ron and thoughts from Ginny, Harry began.


“I really need to begin with the Prophecy,” he began, and proceeded to explain his role in the eventual destruction of Lord Voldemort. This revelation elicited tears from Mrs. Weasley, and a small smile from Remus, who seemed to have already guessed this much on his own.


Harry then told them about the cave and revealed the existence of the Horcruxes. The group of adults all seemed overwhelmed by this new piece of information. He told them about the goblet of Hufflepuff, although he didn’t explain how he had left school by himself to get it. The locket, the snake, the diary, the ring, and finally the book; he told them what they were and how he and the rest of his friends had destroyed them”all based on the orders Albus Dumbledore had left in his will.


“The book belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw. I saw it in a portrait of her that hangs in the Ravenclaw common room,” Harry finally concluded, after talking for nearly two hours. It was a testament to the seriousness of Harry’s mission that no one batted an eye when Harry said he had been in the Ravenclaw common room. “I don’t know what the book is about, but since Voldemort liked to use objects of significance to make his Horcruxes, I guess it doesn’t really matter.”


Hermione cleared her throat. “Actually, Harry, this book has more significance than you think. The runes on the front, the title of the book, are translated ‘Deathly Hallows’. That is a term for Horcruxes that was in use when Ravenclaw was alive. She and Slytherin worked on the book together, before he left the school.”


It never ceased to amaze Harry how much information his friend had at her fingertips.


“So Slytherin literally wrote the book on Horcruxes,” Neville commented from a chair next to Luna.


“It would appear so,” Hermione responded.


“But what happened when Ginny grabbed the book? Why were you two unconscious for so long?” Mrs. Weasley asked, looking pale.


“I think I can answer that for you, mum,” Bill responded, standing up. “I checked the book for curses, as Harry asked, and I found the remnants of a Mind-Trapping Curse. It was really well done, too. Basically, this curse traps whoever activates it in their own mind, holding them there until the curse is released. I ran across one in Egypt”killed one of my co-workers since we couldn’t figure out how to undo the curse.”


At these words, Mrs. Weasley’s eyes brimmed with tears as she moved to sit by Ginny, placing a protective arm around her shoulder.


Bill continued, “Actually, it’s amazing that you two woke up at all. I’ve never heard of someone managing to get themselves out of a Mind Trap Curse like that one. Harry, how did you manage it?”


Harry immediately flushed and looked down at his pillow. “It wasn’t me.”


“What do you mean, it wasn’t you?” Ron asked. “You had to have done something to break that curse. I mean, if you didn’t break it, then who did?”


Hermione emphatically cleared her throat at Ron, but he didn’t get the hint. It wasn’t until Ginny had smacked him on the head that he realized that he had completely discounted the idea of her breaking the curse.


“Ginny broke the curse,” Harry said, not smiling; the memory of how she had broken it was still fresh in his mind. He was overjoyed that she was alive and well, but furious that she would take such a risk.


“How did you manage it, Ginny?” Neville asked.


“I don’t know, I guess I just did what I had to do,” she replied cryptically.


The room stood in silence for a moment but when it was evident that Ginny would offer no more details, the conversation turned back to Harry.


“How did you end up in the curse as well, Harry?” Remus asked. “Ginny touched the book, correct?”


Abe stepped forward and began to speak. “I think I see how that happened. Those traps, they’re designed to respond to the magical energy of a witch or wizard and trap them in their own mind. It’s simple, really: Harry was grabbing Ginny’s shoulder when she touched the book; the spell activated and pulled them both into Ginny’s mind.”


The room seemed shocked by the level of intellect displayed by the Hog’s Head bartender. He must have noticed the surprised stares, for he angrily responded, “Just because Albus told anyone who would listen that I couldn’t read, doesn’t make it true.” He sat back in his chair with a huff. The room grew silent again for several seconds.


“So now you think all the Horcruxes are destroyed?” Bill asked.


Harry nodded. “Professor Dumbledore thought that Voldemort would only create six Horcruxes since seven is a very powerful magical number. We’ve destroyed the six Horcruxes; the piece of Voldemort’s soul that is still in him makes seven parts.”


“So where do we go from here?” Bill inquired.


“I have no idea, other than that I have to confront Voldemort.”


“We have to confront Voldemort!” Luna stated bitterly. The airiness was gone and her eyes blazed with a passion that Harry had never noticed before. He didn’t like the look.


Yet another life mangled by Voldemort, he thought.


Luna’s comment seemed to end that portion of the conversation. They all remained silent for a minute, a silence that was finally broken by the door clanging open and Madam Pomfrey bustling into the room. “Everyone out! I’ve been more than generous, but these two need their rest.”


Harry was grateful for the interruption. The truth was that he was still feeling the effects of his and Ginny’s ordeal, and some sleep would be very helpful. The adults bid their goodbyes, as well as Ron, Hermione, Neville and Luna. Ginny was taken to another part of the Hospital Wing, leaving Harry in bed alone in the dark room.


He raised his mental walls, expecting to talk to Ginny about a few things before they went to sleep. He noticed, however, that she was already asleep and dreaming a wonderful dream. He withdrew his focus, not wanting to impinge on her privacy any more than he already had, and quickly fell asleep.
++++++


More than a week passed before Harry, Ginny and the others had a chance to talk about the mind trap. Harry and Ginny had so much work to catch up on, that it seemed they would never have a chance to talk. It turned out to be one of the hardest weeks in Harry’s life. He was still angry at Ginny for her actions, but he also felt a wave of guilt every time he looked at Ron, and a wave of embarrassment whenever he saw Hermione. He noticed that Luna wasn’t speaking to anyone, but often looked pale and withdrawn. She looked as if she may never recover from the loss of her father.


Neville too was having a difficult week. He had taken it upon himself to help Luna through her time of mourning, and Parvati was having a hard time coping with his decision.


Ron, Hermione and Ginny could all tell something was wrong with Harry’s mood, but none were willing to broach the subject.


Finally, on Saturday evening, the group sat down in the Room of Requirement to discuss the previous week’s events. Moody, upon finding out what exactly Ravenclaw’s book was, wanted it placed at the Ministry for safekeeping, but Harry and the rest would have none of that. The book resided in McGonagall’s office until they were ready to deal with it. Now they thought they were ready; the book sat on the table in front of them, and they quickly destroyed the soul within it. Harry felt very weak afterward, but did not pass out like last time.


Once Harry had recovered, they retook their seats at the table. Everyone wanted to discuss the mind trap, but no one wanted to start the conversation. The tension in the room was thick, and after several minutes of silence, Hermione began, “So, Harry, are you going to tell us what happened when you two were …erm...trapped?”


Harry turned slightly red, and did not meet Hermione’s glance. Instead, he looked at Ron, and felt a new rush of guilt for his perceived betrayal. He quickly felt his anger begin to rise. “No, Hermione, I don’t think so.”


“But you have to tell us, it may help us to know what to expect if, I don’t know, if something like this happens again,” Hermione interjected.


“It’s all right, Harry, we can tell them,” Ginny urged him, sympathetically.


A week’s worth of bad feelings boiled over as Harry quickly stood, shouting, “Tell them what, Ginny? Tell them that you had to relive the terrifying experience in the Chamber, and I couldn’t do anything to help you?” He was pacing the floor at this point. “Or maybe I should start with how Riddle tried to manipulate you by making Hermione and me kiss.” His arms began to flail. “Perhaps I’ll tell them about how you fired the killing curse at Riddle, knowing that it could kill you too. So tell me, Ginny, what exactly I should start with?”


Harry’s outburst elicited varied responses from his friends. Ron had turned a deep shade of red, upon hearing that, somehow, Harry and Hermione had kissed. Neville was shocked into silence, while Luna seemed to have barely noticed. Ginny was on her feet now, glaring at her boyfriend, almost as red as Ron, but it was Hermione’s response that caught Harry’s attention. She didn’t seem embarrassed or even concerned. It was difficult to tell what exactly she was thinking. She looked neutral.


Pondering this, however, would have to wait for later, as Ginny unleashed a furious response. “Well, first, Harry, I would tell them that I wasn’t so terrified of the Chamber that Tom would able to win. Secondly, I would tell them that Tom failed to use past”DID YOU HEAR THAT, HARRY”past jealousies, to manipulate me, and I was able to break the Imperius Curse! Maybe I would explain to them that you don’t have to be the hero all the time, and that you can’t fix everything and take care of everyone.” She threw her hands up in exasperation, then looked at Hermione. “I told you he was upset about this.”


Hermione nodded, but didn’t speak. Ron still looked red as his gaze shifted from Harry to Ginny and back again. Harry wasn’t prepared for Ginny’s angry outburst, but this only fuelled his own anger as he said, “Do you have any idea what you almost did!?”


Harry was about to continue, but Ginny cut him off. “Of course I do, Harry. Why is it always acceptable for you to do great acts of noble sacrifice, but the minute I do it, you’re jumping down my throat!?”


“It’s not the same thing!”


“It is. You can sacrifice yourself and be the hero but I can’t. I can’t give up something to help you!”


“YOU COULD HAVE DIED!”


“THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAN DEATH!”


This last sentence echoed in Harry’s mind. They were Ginny’s words but they were also Dumbledore’s. Harry realized instantly he was wrong. He visibly deflated and retook his seat. “I’m sorry,” he barely whispered.


“You should be,” Ginny replied coolly. She sat down and folded her arms across her chest, refusing to look directly at Harry.


“What do you mean she could have been killed?” Ron finally managed.


“And you kissed Hermione?” Neville questioned.


Harry’s shoulders sagged from emotional fatigue, but he decided it was time to tell them the whole story. He told them what took place in the mind trap. When he was finished, everyone seemed to understand what Harry and Ginny were arguing about. Ron and Neville thought it was reckless for Ginny to take such a risk and said as much. Hermione agreed with Ginny, that she did what was needed. Luna seemed to not have an opinion on the subject. Harry sat quietly, watching Ginny, who was staunchly refusing to look at him.


After several seconds of silence, Luna spoke up. “Did you know that by killing him you would be released from the trap?” Everyone was a little surprised to hear her speak, since she had hardly done so since her return.


“I had an idea, I guess,” Ginny began. “I was pretty sure that Harry would be all right. That he would be removed from the trap, even if I wasn’t.”


“How did you know that?” Harry asked, tentatively.


Ginny, still not looking at Harry, shook her head. “Because I study. When you told us about the cup, and how Voldemort trapped you, I started owling Bill, about different ways of charming something and making it a trap. He told me about the Mind Trap Curse weeks ago.”


Harry simply nodded in understanding, her coolness towards him making him feel worse and worse. “How did you get over being in the Chamber? It was hard on me being in there again; I can’t imagine it didn’t affect you.”


At this, Ginny seemed to soften. She turned and looked at Harry. “It was Dumbledore.” This was not the answer the group expected. She continued, “The year after all that happened, Professor Dumbledore called me into his office. He said he wanted to talk to me about what had happened. I had basically just shut it all out, but he didn’t want me to do that. He said, ‘You need to deal with this, and putting it aside will not make it go away.’ So we talked a lot about what happened and what it meant. He made me realize that I wasn’t weak, and that it took great courage to fight against Tom, to throw the diary away the first time.


I didn’t really believe him, until I was standing there in the Chamber again. I realized that I was truly not afraid of that anymore, and so Tom had no real power over me. I guess that’s why the Imperius Curse didn’t work on me.”


The others nodded in agreement and seemed surprised to hear this bit of information about Ginny. None of them knew about her talks with Dumbledore or her struggle to get over the events of her first year. Harry felt a surge of pride in the strength of this girl he cared so much for.


Seemingly by unspoken agreement, the group began to leave. Hermione grabbed the book, which was charred around the edges and still smoking a little, as she left the table. Ron smiled and shook his head as he followed. “Leave no book behind, huh?” She smiled back but said nothing.


Harry and Ginny were the last at the table, and as they started to leave, Harry spoke, “So you were willing to die to help me?”


Ginny’s features softened and a smile broke across her face. “Dumbledore told me about a saying from a very wise man. ‘Greater love has no one than this: that someone lays down his life for his friends.’ I didn’t really understand it when he told me that, but when we were standing there, and you were kissing Hermione, I could almost hear him saying it again. So, I decided to do what I needed to do to save you.”


Harry was astonished. He had known for a long time that he may have to sacrifice himself to save the wizarding world from Voldemort. The idea, however, that Ginny would give up her life for his was more than he could grasp. “I love you, Ginny.”


Her eyes welled with tears as for the first time she said out loud, “I love you, Harry.”


They embraced and for a while, all was as it should have been in the world.
+++++++

A/N: No cliff hanger but some wonderful fluff for you as we close this chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it. Major thanks to cableguysmom and Kerrbear for their pre-beta work. Huge thanks to Ginny Guerra and JenC for there efforts making this chapter polished and ready. Thanks ladies, I could not do it without you.

Up next, we find out what is happening with Percy and Harry confronts his old enemy.
Percy by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter universe. I would like Andrea (Ravensgryff) to moderate this chapter, please.
++++++


Weeks had passed since Harry and Ginny’s experience in the Mind Trap and the destruction of the final Horcrux. Winter was slowly giving way to spring: the snow on the grounds began to melt, and the Forbidden Forest was once again beginning to sprout new life. By mid-April, spring was in full bloom.


The Order was busily attempting to formulate a possible plan of attack now that Voldemort was vulnerable, but so far had had no real success. The fact that Voldemort had again gone silent, and Death Eater attacks had almost completely stopped, did not help matters. Since he was not exposing himself, or his organization, it was that much harder to plan an assault.


During these weeks, Harry had settled back into his normal routine of schoolwork, training, spending as much time with Ginny as possible, and sleep. There was, however, one new addition to his already full schedule: Each week, usually after dinner on Sunday evening, he would trek up to the Astronomy Tower, and enter a small private room. There he would meet with Percy Weasley. They would spend about an hour playing chess and chatting, sometimes about unimportant matters, other times they would discuss the war, the events of the summer, and Percy’s imprisonment by the Death Eaters.


For Harry, these encounters were not about friendship. He had never been as close to Percy as he was to the other members of the family. Harry had never understood Percy very well, and his decision to side with the Ministry, over and against his family, had made any real friendship next to impossible.


Harry was here for information: information about Voldemort, information about the plans of the Death Eaters, and information about Percy himself. Harry needed to know if he could trust Percy at all. Certainly, Percy had provided sound information over the past few months, but he had also betrayed Harry and Ron during the summer. Harry was here to see if Percy was with them in the war or not.


The last Sunday in April, Harry sat in Percy’s small flat. He’d arrived shortly after dinner and Percy had quickly let him in. “Harry, it’s wonderful that you came tonight. I was really hoping that you would come. I’ve remembered something that I heard while I was a prisoner,” Percy announced.


Harry was somewhat taken aback by Percy’s enthusiasm. He had never heard Percy laugh quite like that”although he could not honestly ever remember hearing Percy laugh. The fact that he had learned something new, however, came as no real surprise. Periodically, Percy would remember some tidbit of information”a part of a plan here, a name there. It was usually nothing terribly helpful, but Harry would listen and then diligently relay the information to Moody or McGonagall.


Tonight seemed different though. Percy seemed almost giddy”a very unPercy-like state”so Harry was more than a little intrigued. “Really, Percy? That sounds great,” Harry answered as he walked into the room.


Percy smiled broadly and walked towards the chess set on the table. He arranged the pieces and began talking. “Harry, do you know what a, erm… Horcrux is?” Percy asked. He seemed to be calming down, and settling in for a long conversation.


Harry, on the other hand, had lost all interest in the game and was now wrestling with the idea that Percy knew something about Horcruxes. “What do you know about them, Percy?” Harry questioned, trying to sound noncommittal.


“I know that they house pieces of a soul, that they are very difficult to make, and that the Dark Lord”I mean, You Know Who”has at least one of them,” Percy replied.


Harry wasn’t sure, but he thought he noticed a strained look in Percy’s eyes at the mention of Voldemort. It stands to reason though, considering all he has been through, he thought.


“So, do you want to know what I know?” Percy inquired.


Harry’s mind was racing at this point. At first he was very skeptical, since he believed he had already destroyed all the Horcruxes, but then, Luna’s words from months ago came back to him. “What if he was wrong?” Meaning what if Dumbledore was wrong in assuming there were only six Horcruxes. Harry’s curiosity was now beginning to grow. “Sure, Percy, what do you want to tell me?” He nonchalantly moved a pawn and started the game of chess.


Percy was quiet for a second, looking at the chessboard. He then moved again, but made no effort to speak. Harry was used to this, however, since this was how serious conversations went with Percy. They would talk for a minute and then Percy would be silent for several moves. Then abruptly he would begin talking again. Moody thought it was a side effect of being under the Imperius Curse for so long.


“I’ve seen it before,” he’d growled when Harry told him about it the first time it happened.


Several moves passed before Percy again spoke. “I remember sitting in my room and hearing Professor Snape talking to Wormtail about a Horcrux.” Percy moved his knight, placing Harry’s bishop in jeopardy.


Harry’s expectations were dashed. They must have been talking about the cup, since that was the only Horcrux Snape mentioned in the memory he had left for Harry. Harry remained silent, however, as he moved his bishop out of harm’s way.


Several more moves later, Percy broke his silence again. “They were talking about a Horcrux that Wormtail was supposed to be watching. One that was ‘right under the Blood Traitors’ noses.’” He moved his rook, taking one of Harry’s knights.


Harry moved again, taking the rook and placing Percy in check. It was another four moves each before Percy spoke again. “I was really surprised when I heard where it was.” Percy’s queen moved to place Harry in check.


At this point, Harry was convinced that nothing was going to come from this conversation. He was also losing the chess game, which was nothing unusual. He moved his king out of danger, and merely nodded.


“They said it was at the Burrow.” Again Percy moved his queen, placing Harry in check.

Harry didn’t notice. His mind was stuck on the idea that a Horcrux was hidden at the Burrow. “What was that?” he asked, trying to sound calm.


Percy waited for Harry to move, and then spoke again. “I heard them say that there was a Horcrux at the Burrow. They said that Ravenclaw’s tiara was there. I guess they meant Aunt Muriel’s old tiara, but we always thought it was just a tiara that my great aunt had had made.” Percy moved again, this time his rook placed Harry’s king in peril.


Harry absentmindedly moved his king again. “Do you know where it is? Where your mum would have kept it?”


Percy looked up at Harry, a small smile forming on his face, “I don’t know exactly, but we could go and try to find it. It shouldn’t be too difficult to do.” He moved his queen again. “Checkmate!”


Harry turned his king over and got up to leave. “I don’t know, Percy. Let me think about it.” He moved to the door.


“Okay, Harry, but I don’t know how long they will leave it there, it may be gone already,” Percy announced as Harry exited the room.
++++++


Twenty minutes later, Harry was sitting in the Room of Requirement with his five friends, discussing what Percy had told him.


“I don’t believe him,” Ron announced, moodily. “If there were more Horcruxes, Dumbledore would have known about it.”


Hermione slowly shook her head. “How could he have known? We assumed that Voldemort would only make six Horcruxes, in order to have a seven-part soul. I suppose he could have made a lot more since he has killed so many people.”


“But how much dividing can a soul take?” Neville inquired. “Can someone cut their soul in half forever, or will there be a point when nothing is left?”


“My dad mentioned someone…” Luna began but trailed off. She had started to act more herself in the previous weeks, but whenever she thought of or mentioned her father, she was not able to finish her thought.


“I think we are missing the larger question here. Is Percy trustworthy?” Harry quickly chimed in.


“I think he is,” Ginny responded. Ron huffed in disagreement, but she continued, “He told you about the attack on the Prime Minister and the one that would happen at Grimmauld Place. If he was working for the Death Eaters, why tell you about those?”


Ron looked redder than usual. “Ginny, I can’t believe you are so naive. He was trying to gain our trust. He gave us information in order to trick us into believing him now. He wants Harry to go to the Burrow, probably alone, so that the Death Eaters can try and attack him there.” It was clear that Ron had no intention of forgiving his older brother or trusting him in the least.


“But don’t we owe it to Mum and Dad and Percy, to give him the benefit of the doubt?” Ginny pleaded.


“No,” Ron replied. He folded his arms as if to say that should settle the question.


“Ronald, aren’t you being a little harsh?” Luna interjected.


Ron looked exasperated. “Am I the only one who doesn’t trust that foul prat?”


“Well, I don’t trust him, but I don’t see how we can ignore what he’s saying,” Hermione stated, giving Ron a reassuring nod.


Harry continued to think for moment. The room was silent, Ginny and Ron both looking angrily towards each other. Finally, Harry spoke, “I think we should go to the Burrow. If it’s a trap, it may be a chance to confront Voldemort once and for all.”


“Are you sure you’re ready?” Ginny asked, her eyes growing wide at Harry’s words.


“No, but I think I am, and we have to find him before he starts attacking again. The sooner we end this, the better,” Harry responded, placing his hand on Ginny’s shoulder.


Hermione looked nervous as she spoke, “We should tell the Order. They can come and provide backup for us.”


Harry seemed to mull this over, but it was Ron who spoke first. “I think we should go by ourselves; we can make a search more effectively if we don’t have twenty people running around the house.”


Hermione began to protest but Harry cut her off. “We will tell them and we’ll have an open Floo to them here, in case of trouble. We need to talk to Bill anyway and find out if the Burrow’s wards are still functioning. If not, he will need to reset them so no one can Apparate in and surprise us.”


Ginny shifted uncomfortably in her seat. “What do we tell Percy?”


“Nothing!” Ron stated flatly.


Hermione then spoke up, “What if we told him that we are going on Sunday, then actually went on Saturday. If he isn’t to be trusted, that may throw off the plan, I think.”


“That makes sense,” Harry agreed.


The meeting broke up and they all rose to leave. Harry and Hermione left to talk with McGonagall, to tell her what they wanted to do. Ron and Ginny sulked all the way back to Gryffindor Tower, neither willing to speak to the other. Luna went to Ravenclaw Tower, and Neville headed to the library, where Parvati was waiting for him, for a date. Harry was certain Neville was very late, but he had refused to leave the meeting early, realizing this was more important.
++++++


Saturday morning, Harry and the others gathered in the Headmistress’s office. The plan was for them to Floo to the Burrow, search the house, and return. McGonagall and the rest of the Order had refused to allow them to go without some backup present, so it was agreed that Moody, Bill, Fleur and Hagrid would go before. Harry had been dubious of that idea, not willing to endanger more of his friends than he already had, but McGonagall was adamant.


At ten in the morning, they Flooed to the Burrow. The six young people gathered around the living room. Harry looked around and could tell that the house had not been lived in for some time: cobwebs had gathered in the corners and a thick layer of dust could be seen on all the surfaces. They heard a loud thud above them that made them all jump. “Must be the old ghoul in the attic,” Ron surmised.


“So, where do we start?” Neville inquired, clearly nervous.


“When I told Percy that I was going, he said that he thought Wormtail said something about it being on the ground floor,” Harry explained.


“How would Wormtail know anything about it?” Ron questioned.


“I think that he came here to keep an eye on the Horcrux,” Hermione explained. “That’s how he ended up with the family in the first place.”


“Let’s split up. Ron and Hermione take the second and third stories. Ginny and I will search the ground floor, and Neville, you and Luna take the attic and the fourth floor. If you find anything, don’t touch it,” Harry remarked, shooting a glance at Ginny. She smiled slightly in response.


The group split up and searched the house. An hour later, they met up in the living room, by the fireplace. “Nothing!” Ron huffed, disappointment evident on his face. “I was hoping that…” he fell silent in frustration.


Harry, too, was frustrated by the whole affair. “Do we search the grounds?” Just as he finished speaking, his scar felt as if a red-hot dagger had been thrust into it. He fell to his knees, reinforcing his already raised mental walls.


“Harry!” Ginny shouted, and was at his side at once. The rest of the group immediately grabbed their wands and formed a protective circle around their fallen friend.


“He’s here,” Harry croaked. “Open the Floo and get the Order here.” He stood again, his mental shield holding off any further attacks. He felt the combined mental and magical strength of his friends begin to surge through him, and he quickly recovered.


Luna moved to the fireplace while the others went to the front door. They opened it slightly, and noticed that what was once a bright and sunny day had become a thick-rolling foggy day. “Dementors?” Neville asked, a slight shake in his voice.


“I don’t think so,” Harry replied. “All of you transform and try to find a place to hide.”


“HARRY?” came a high-pitched shrill voice from just beyond Mr. Weasley’s shed. “Come out, come out wherever you are.”


“Go; this is it!” Harry barked and his friends all became their Animagus forms. They moved out of the house silently”all except Neville, who stayed in the house watching since he could not blend in as a bear. Harry then stepped out of the house. He walked towards the shed, wand at the ready, reinforcing his mental walls as much as he could. He could tell where all his friends were but he had no idea where the Order members had been hiding; he hoped they were all right.


He was halfway to the shed when Voldemort himself stepped out from behind it. “So nice of you to come, Harry. Did you miss me? I see that pitiful excuse for a wizard, Weasley, actually got it right this time.”


Harry’s eyes went wide as he realized that Percy had indeed betrayed them, but he couldn’t dwell on that; instead, he immediately attacked Voldemort’s mind. As he did so, he heard the front door of the Burrow slam open, announcing the arrival of the Order. He locked eyes with Voldemort and the war of wills between them was on.


Harry slammed away at Voldemort’s mental defenses, attempting to pour good memories and thoughts into his mind. Voldemort countered with images of death and destruction. An odd pair, they battled in the middle of the Weasleys’ front yard as a battle between a dozen members of the Order and more than fifty Death Eaters erupted all around them.


Harry was only vaguely aware of the spells that were hurtling back and forth on all sides. He could tell that none of his friends had been injured, but knew nothing of the others. However, he also realized that he could not allow anything to distract him from this final confrontation.


Images of Sirius falling through the veil filled his mind, and he felt his heart sink. He countered with the memory of Sirius suggesting Harry live with him, and the feelings that brought him. His strength returned somewhat and Voldemort seemed to waiver.


Harry’s mother lying dead on the floor.


Lily sacrificing herself for him out of love.


Dumbledore falling from the Astronomy Tower.


The pride that lighted Dumbledore’s face when Harry emerged from the lake with both Ron and Gabrielle.


On and on it went for what felt like hours. In truth it was only minutes. Image after image bombarded Harry’s mind, and with each new attack, an image of a happy memory would counter the blow.


A scream from Harry’s left caused him to let his guard down for a brief instant and Voldemort attempted to take advantage. He sent an image of Ginny lying dead in the chamber at Harry. Harry almost succumbed to the sorrow of that image, but it was a mistake on Voldemort’s part. He had used that image before, and Harry had countered it. Harry recovered and fired back with the image of Ginny telling him he was worth it, and all the joy that this thought brought.


Voldemort staggered backwards as if he had been hit in the chest. Harry pressed his advantage, sending images of Ron and Hermione after they had gotten engaged; the look on Ron’s face when he found out that Hermione’s Patronus had changed to match his; the feeling of pride that welled up in him when Ron refused an offer to try out for the English Quidditch team, choosing to help him instead.


Blow after blow came from Harry, striking at Voldemort’s mind. Harry could sense him weakening. Finally, as he remembered Ginny’s face the first time they kissed, he felt something snapping in Voldemort’s mind.


“ARRRGGHHHH!” Voldemort screamed and collapsed in the yard.


Harry nearly fell as well, feeling the weight of the energy he had just expended. He did not allow himself to collapse. He began to quickly scan the area for Death Eaters who would attack. He noticed something that he did not expect at all. Many of the Death Eaters had stopped fighting. Some, upon Voldemort’s collapse, simply threw down their wands. Others walked disoriented, staggering around, not knowing what to do.


Harry watched as four Death Eaters seemed unaffected by Voldemort’s fall. Three started to race away from the battle. They had their backs to Harry, so he couldn’t see their faces, but the long blond hair of Lucius Malfoy was unmistakable. The fourth Death Eater ran behind them. He fired a Stunner at the group of three, but missed, having been hit in the back by a Cutting Curse from an Order member several yards behind. The last Death Eater fell to the ground in pain, with a shout. His black hood and mask lost their place, exposing a mass of greasy black hair.


Lucius Malfoy quickly turned and looked at the fallen form of Severus Snape lying in the grass. He raised his wand and fired a stream of green light. Without checking to see if his spell had hit the target, he spun and ran to the point where the other two Death Eaters had already Disapparated, and he was gone.


Harry reacted instantly. “ACCIO SNAPE!” he shouted. Snape’s body immediately rose and flew toward Harry, as the curse struck the ground less than a second after he moved. Harry realized his problem instantly: He now had an adult hurtling at him from several metres away.


Snape collided with Harry and they both tumbled head over heels into the grass. Harry rose first, trying to catch his breath while Snape continued to lay there. Finally, Harry’s head cleared and he looked down at the former Potions master, who was beginning to stir.


Snape looked up and saw Harry standing over him. A great sneer of displeasure crossed his face. “I suppose you are waiting for my gratitude,” he growled as he hauled himself to a standing position.


Harry stood, defiantly smiling back at him. “No, Professor, I am not expecting a thank you. I just did what my Father would have done.”


Snape seemed to be repulsed by Harry’s words, and for a split second Harry thought he might lash out, but instead, he continued to sneer menacingly. “So, the Aurors believe me to be a murderer. You obviously got the memory I left so conveniently for you, and thus know that I am not.”


Harry’s smile broke and he glared at Snape. “Lots of bloody good that did. We had already found that Horcrux.” He turned to go and noticed a roll of parchment lying on the ground. He immediately recognized the handwriting on the seal to be Professor Dumbledore’s. He reached down and took it just as the Aurors began to arrive.


“What’s this, Snape!” Harry snapped as he turned back to the former professor.


Snape’s face remained unchanged, although Harry noticed him flush just a little. “That is a note, written by Albus Dumbledore, declaring my innocence in his murder. It explains that we had always planned the little show you witnessed on the Astronomy Tower, so that I could solidify my place at the Dark Lord’s side.”


Harry was dumbstruck by this news, and he made to open the letter.


“If you open that, Potter, it will no longer be any good to me. You see, if the seal is broken, then the Aurors will naturally assume I forged the letter using another correspondence that Dumbledore sent me.”


Harry stopped. “Tell me everything, and quickly,” he growled.


“Professor Dumbledore was dying from an injury he had sustained in collecting a certain ring. I was able to brew a potion that, for a time, delayed his death. The only side effect was the death of his right arm, which is why it was black and shriveled all last year. We both knew it was only a temporary solution, so we devised our little show, to make the Dark Lord think I was completely on his side.


The Aurors were now approaching, as were members of the Order, and Harry continued to finger the roll of parchment. He didn’t want to believe it was true. He wanted to hate Snape for killing Dumbledore, but in his heart he knew that everything Snape was telling him was true. He let out a long sigh as three Aurors grabbed Snape around the shoulders.


“It seems, Potter, that my life is in your hands.” Snape spoke with little emotion and simply glared at Harry.


Harry looked around him and then slowly handed the parchment to the Auror who was covering Snape with his wand. “Read this, it proves Snape is innocent.” He then turned away and began to walk slowly toward the others.


More Aurors arrived at the scene and began rounding up men and women in black hoods. No one gave any resistance. It seemed to Harry that with their connection to Voldemort severed, they had lost the will to fight; Abe’s words about the connection of fear that Voldemort had over his followers finally made sense. Harry understood that those who followed him”his friends and the Order”would have continued to fight, even if he had fallen, because of their love for him. Not so with the Death Eaters. They had given up.


There was no joy to fill Harry’s heart and mind as he walked over to where Voldemort lay. The snakelike eyes were closed, and his chest rose and fell, so Harry knew that he was not dead. He also knew that Tom was defeated, but something in the back of his mind would not let him enjoy it.


Members of the Order and Ministry Aurors began to gather around Harry, and jubilation broke out throughout the yard.


Ministry medical teams arrived at the scene and began to see to the wounded. Harry glanced around, looking for his friends and other Order members. He saw Neville sitting by a tree, a long gash on his right arm, gushing blood. Luna sat beside him, holding a piece of torn fabric against his bloodied arm. She had a black eye that was already swollen to almost closed.


Ginny raced up to Harry and engulfed him in a huge hug. “You did it!” she shouted, and then kissed him fiercely.


“We did it,” Harry responded, trying to match her enthusiasm, and failing. He looked around and noticed for the first time a frantic Ron running from the side of the house.


“HARRY!!” Ron shouted. “Come quick!”


Harry panicked as he ran to meet up with his friend. He realized that he had not seen Hermione. No, not now, not after all this!


They arrived at the side of the house, and Harry’s heart sank to below his knees. He saw Hermione, her arm twisted awkwardly at the elbow, leaning against the large unmoving form of Hagrid.
++++++

Within half an hour, the injured had been taken, either to St Mungo’s or back to Hogwarts for treatment. Hagrid was taken to Hogwarts for preparations for his burial, and the dead Death Eaters were removed as well. Harry didn’t know, nor did he care, where they were taken.


Arriving back at the school just after lunch, Harry, followed by Ron, Charlie, the twins and Ginny, marched up to Percy’s room. Harry, along with the others, was seething. He knew that Percy had sold them out to Voldemort, just has Wormtail had years ago.


Anger and hurt radiated from the Weasleys as they followed Harry down the halls. He had never felt such strong anger from Ron, not even towards Draco Malfoy. Ginny’s feelings, too, were filled with anger, but it was tempered somewhat by an overwhelming sense of hurt, that her older brother could do what he clearly had done.


Harry reached the door; it was locked. He pounded the door. “LET US IN, PERCY; YOUR LITTLE SCHEME DIDN’T WORK!”


There was still no answer. After several more attempts to elicit some response from Percy, Charlie had had enough. He pushed the others aside and, with all his might, kicked the door.


Harry couldn’t believe his eyes; Charlie literally kicked the heavy wooden door off its hinges, and it clattered to the floor, sliding several metres before coming to rest in the middle of the room.


They found Percy staring out the window, seemingly oblivious to their presence. Charlie, Fred and George charged in and Harry was quite sure they intended to beat a confession out of him. Harry, however, had no desire to see this. “STOP!” he shouted.


He had said it with such authority and command that all three Weasleys stopped in their tracks. They looked at Harry, bewilderment clear in their eyes. “We need to hear his side of this,” Harry said in a softer tone. He didn’t really understand why he was being so levelheaded about all this. He was ready to pound Percy too, but something inside him said that Dumbledore would want to hear from Percy, and so he wanted to hear why Percy did what he did.


The others stepped back and Harry approached Percy, who still had not responded to their appearance. “Percy,” Harry said in a clear voice that was neither hostile nor forgiving. “Why did you betray us?”


Percy finally turned, a small smile on his face. He looked deathly pale and it seemed all the life had been removed from his eyes. “Do you really need to ask me that, Harry? You of all people should be the last to have to ask that.” Percy stood and faced Harry for the first time.


Harry was confused by his response, but did not reply. He continued to stare, wand in hand, ready for anything.


“Well, perhaps you aren’t as brilliant as everyone seems to think you are. Let me explain,” continued Percy with an odd expression on his face. “All my life I have been searching for a way out of this life”this life of misery in a family with no money, no power, and a father who had no intention of changing that. He wanted to play with Muggle things and foster better respect for Muggles in our world while his family wallowed in the filth of poverty and disrespect.


“I began to see it even at Hogwarts, although I didn’t understand it at the time. I became a Prefect and finally earned some respect. Then I was Head Boy and my path was clear. I would pull my family out of the pitiful hole they had so nobly dug for themselves. I would be the Weasley who made something of himself.


“But as soon as I started at the Ministry, it was clear that no one in the family cared for what I was trying to do for them. They only wanted to continue on, living in squalor. All my attempts to raise the family out of the muck, to try and make us less of a laughingstock, were met with derision. Jokes from Fred and George, disrespect from Ron and Ginny…”


At this point, Percy began to pace the room and seemed to grow more agitated. “I guess it was at the World Cup that I first realized what was holding me back. Why I couldn’t get my family to see how much I was doing for them. That night, when I was doing my level best to present a positive image to the Ministry, so the name Weasley would no longer be laughed at, who got the Minister’s undivided attention? None other than Harry Potter”a boy who, just like my family, had no ambition; who had earned no respect; who had done nothing for his celebrity.


“All I wanted to do was to help my family, but when it came to a choice between me or you, Harry, you were the one they chose.”


Ron stepped up and started pointing his finger at Percy. “It was about you choosing to side with those liars at the Ministry over your family, not about us choosing Harry!”


Percy nodded towards Ron, but never took his eyes off of Harry. “You see, Harry. Even now when I have made it so clear, Ron still doesn’t understand. I realized, after I wrote Ron, trying to look out for his best interest, that my family was no longer mine, but yours; so yes, I sided with the Ministry.”


Ron growled in disgust. Ginny seemed on the edge of tears; Charlie and the twins looked ready to curse Percy through the window. Harry remained trying to hold a placid expression; his head was pounding, but he was determined to hear Percy out. He had seen Dumbledore do things like this and he wanted desperately to remain calm. He was hoping there may be a way to make Percy understand he was wrong.


Percy continued, “Then, when we got a new Minister, and a new idea about fighting the war and trying to get you on our side of things, I thought it was a brilliant plan. So I invited Minister Scrimgeour to Christmas dinner and he was able to talk to you. Of course, you had no time to help the Ministry.


“The longer I thought about it, the more I realized that the Ministry was mistaken to even invite you to its side. Then Dumbledore died, and instead of rallying around the Ministry, you still refused. ‘Dumbledore’s man through and through,’ I think Minister Scrimgeour said. I had advised him against that second encounter. I realized that you were far too arrogant to join forces with the Ministry.


“But I also realized that the Ministry was desperate to have you,” Percy sneered on the last word, “on board, and I finally understood. Not only had you taken away my family, but now the Ministry as well. There was only one place to turn. One place that I could find true respect and power, with no Harry Potter there to muck it all up.


“So I attempted to make contact with the Dark Lord. He accepted me, after a time. He sent me here, to gain your trust. After a time, I was to send you to the Burrow. Of course I had no means of contacting him so he placed watchmen there to inform him of your arrival. I assume that since you are still alive, that the Dark Lord is no more.” Percy stopped pacing and was again staring out the window. His speech was over.


Ginny gasped and even Ron blanched. Harry was stunned. He had believed, or hoped, that Percy was manipulated into all this. He couldn’t believe Percy would voluntarily do this, but he had.


Charlie was the first to speak. “Percy, you just confessed to being a supporter of You Know Who. They’ll put in you Azkaban for this.”


Percy let out a small strangled laugh, “Oh, I don’t think so. The Dark Lord didn’t trust me at first, so when he allowed me to join him, and we developed this plan, he placed a curse on me. If he was defeated, or if I betrayed him, then I would die. Obviously, the former has occurred or you would not be here, Harry. I imagine death will come soon. Now if you don’t mind, I will wait for my death. You may go.”


Harry turned to go and was met with the sight of Arthur Weasley standing in the doorway. Tears streamed down his face; it was clear he had heard the entire confession from Percy. Standing behind him were two men Harry didn’t recognize.


Mr. Weasley looked stricken as he whispered, “Okay.” The two men marched into the room and took Percy into custody. He would be sent to the Ministry of Magic and held with the rest of the Death Eaters pending his trial.


++++++
An hour later, Harry was sitting in the Hospital Wing, numb with grief over the loss of his oldest friend, and with a massive headache that no potion seemed to be able to cure.


Most of the injured had been taken to St Mungo’s for treatment, but Hermione, Luna, Harry and Neville were allowed to return to Hogwarts to be treated. Madam Pomfrey entered the wing, and walked over to Hermione’s bed. “Miss Granger, you had a dislocated shoulder and a compound fracture of your left arm. The damage was not so severe that I could not take care of it, but you will probably be sore for the next couple of days.”


“Thank you, Madam Pomfrey,” Hermione whispered. Harry could tell she was barely holding back her tears. She was leaning against Ron, who looked pale and exhausted.


“It is my pleasure, Miss Granger, now try and get some rest,” she replied sympathetically. She then scuttled off to Neville’s bed. “Mr. Longbottom, that was a deep gash you had. In fact, if Miss Lovegood hadn’t acted so quickly healing it, I’m afraid you could have ended up in much worse shape. As it is, you will have a nasty scar, but the damage has been repaired.”


Harry could hear soft sobs coming from Hermione’s bed as she and Ron held each other. Several minutes later, Remus came limping in.


“Remus, how’s Tonks?” Harry asked quietly. He noticed Ron and Hermione look up at the question.


“She is going to be all right. She got hit with a pretty powerful Bludgeoning Curse. The Healers didn’t know how long it would take her to regain consciousness, but she has already. She will be in the Hospital a few more days, but then she should be as good as new.


“Ginny asked me to tell you that she will be back as soon as she’s found out if Fleur will be all right,” Remus continued.


“What happened to her?” Ron questioned.


“You didn’t know?” Remus seemed surprised but went on, “Fenrir attacked her. Bill was able to pull him off, and eventually killed him, but he mauled her pretty good. The Healers weren’t sure if they could save her arm. When I left, however, they told me that it was not as bad as they had originally thought, and since she is part Veela, she’s a lot tougher then she looks.” Remus smiled at this last statement. “Other than you lot, Hagrid, everyone else came through the battle with only minor cuts and bruises. I was shocked when Severus started fighting on our side, but he did. He got five Death Eaters from behind just as we started fighting. He was a big help. He’s being held separately from the Death Eaters but it looks like the Ministry will release him.”


This fact was some consolation for Harry, but at the moment, not very much. He had yet another funeral, yet another loss to suffer. He wondered if it was all worth it. His thoughts then turned back to Ginny as he felt her reentering the school. The warmth of her mind comforted him, and his head began to stop hurting so much. He knew that there was still a great deal of mourning to do”the school would have to be told about Hagrid.


Remus got up to leave when Harry thought of a question he needed to ask. “Remus, what have they done with Voldemort?”


“Oh, he’s been taken to a secured wing of the Ministry of Magic. If he ever regains consciousness, he will be tried and probably sent through the veil,” Remus answered. “I’ll see you lot later.”
++++++


By that evening, everyone had been told about Percy and Hagrid. The Weasleys suffered greatly over the arrest of Percy; even the twins seemed out of sorts over it. The school was notified at dinner about Hagrid’s death. Harry had never heard the Great Hall so silent. This was the third time that a death was announced to the student body. Harry thought they might be getting used to it, but still a shocked silence rained that evening.


After dinner Hermione and Ron were walking in front of Harry and Ginny, when Hermione suddenly stopped and turned to Harry. “Harry, we have to tell Grawp!”


“Hermione, you need to rest, it can wait till morning, can’t it?” Ron said.


Hermione shook her head sadly. “No, Ron, if it were us, we would want to know as soon as possible. He deserves to know what happened.”


Harry could tell by Hermione’s look that she was not backing down. “All right, Hermione, let’s go.” Hermione hugged Ron and Harry kissed Ginny. Then they both left for the Forbidden Forest to see a small giant who lived there.


It took them the better part of an hour to find their way through the forest. Harry thought that the woods, normally teaming with life, seemed far too silent”almost as if the forest knew the great Hogwarts gamekeeper was gone. Finally, they found Grawp at the edge of the clearing he had created by uprooting trees. Cautiously they approached the giant, who was amusing himself by batting a large rock into the air with the trunk of a young, freshly uprooted pine. Although he now lived in the cave the Sirius had used as a hideout, whenever Hagrid left the school grounds, Grawp would stay in the clearing that used to be his home. Hagrid had always said it was so Grawp could see him as soon as he returned. Grawp turned at their approach.


“Hermy!” he shouted excitedly. “Hermy not come to see Grawp in long time. Hermy is good?”


Hermione instinctively stepped back but tried not to seem frightened as the twenty-foot-tall giant looked at her.


“Hermy seems sad,” Grawp announced. “What’s matter, Hermy?”


Hermione was unable to speak, as the emotions of the day again began to overwhelm her. Harry quickly stepped in. “Hi, Grawp, do you remember me? I am a friend of Hagrid’s.”


Grawp’s face contorted as if he was trying to think. After a few seconds, he spoke again, “Hagger not come to see Grawp today. Hermy, where Hagger?”


Hermione broke down at this point and Harry again spoke, “Hagrid is erm, gone, Grawp.” Tears now filled Harry’s eyes as well, although he refused to shed them.


“When he be back?”


“He won’t be, he’s”dead, Grawp. He died today.” A small tear trickled down Harry’s right cheek.


It took a minute for Grawp to figure out what Harry was saying. When he did he let out a yell that could be heard throughout the forest. Harry and Hermione both felt awful for Grawp. For their own safety, they moved back into the forest while Grawp mourned the loss of his Hagger.


An hour later, the sun was quickly beginning to set. Grawp finally expended all his energy and collapsed on the ground. Harry was certain the giant was sobbing. He and Hermione cautiously approached. “Grawp?” Hermione said.


Grawp looked up, tear streaks the width of car tires showing on his cheeks. “Hermy, what is Grawp going to do?”


“I don’t know, Grawp, but we’ll think of something,” Hermione responded.


As twilight turned to dusk, Grawp lay on his stomach, small sobs escaping from his massive body. Hermione on one side, and Harry on the other, each placed a comforting hand on his shoulders. We’ll think of something, Harry thought. We’ll take care of you.
++++++

A/N: I hope you all enjoyed this marathon chapter. Many thanks to my prebetas Kerry bear and Cableguysmom. A major thank you goes to Ginny Guerra and JenC for hacking their way through this and making look and sound good. Thanks ladies I couldn’t do this with out you!


Up next, we see the aftermath of this confrontation with Voldemort, and a long term relationship finally falls apart.
Job Well Done? by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse. I would like Ravensgryff to moderate this chapterplease.
++++++


Euphoria gripped the wizarding world upon the “Official Ministry Announcement” that Voldemort had, once again, been defeated. The proclamation came several days after the battle at the Burrow, and in the days that followed the announcement, the Daily Prophet ran multiple articles detailing how exactly Voldemort had met his demise.


The stories revealed that the Aurors had acted quickly to subdue the Dark Lord when it was discovered that he was engaged in a duel in Ottery St. Catchpole, and described how they had managed, led by an Auror called Dawlish, to apprehend Voldemort alive, and to either kill or capture the vast majority of his minions.


Strangely, there was very little mention of Harry’s involvement in the battle. It was clear from the reports that Harry had been present, and had had a hand in the battle, but little more was actually said. The Prophet focused, instead, on the “marvelous leadership of our beloved Minster of Magic,” and how he and his tireless staff had led the wizarding community through one of its darkest times.


Hogwarts was soon far too caught up in the excitement of the perceived end of the war to mourn over the loss of Hagrid. Only days after the announcement that he had been killed, the festive mood of celebration, combined with the beautiful spring weather, had completely erased the sadness of just a couple of days before. That is, of course, with the exception of Harry, his friends, and the rest of the Order of the Phoenix. For Harry, there had been just too many funerals and memorial services, too many deaths to deal with over the past several years, for him to believe it was over.


One must die at the hands of the other, kept running through his head, and he could not come to terms with the fact that Voldemort was still alive. He had not really completed the prophecy.


Wednesday morning dawned and Harry wearily arose after yet another dreadful night’s sleep. Classes that day had been cancelled for the memorial service for Hagrid. Harry, along with Ron and Neville, dressed in his best dress robes for the occasion. The school would have a service in the Great Hall, and then there would be a small service at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, where Hagrid’s ashes would be scattered later that day.


Harry had very little desire to attend the big service. He had been a much bigger object of comments among his fellow students since the fall of Voldemort. Although the Prophet didn’t seem to acknowledge his efforts, the student body had come to their own conclusions. They had decided that the “Chosen One” must have defeated Voldemort, and so, as Harry walked the halls, all eyes would turn to him. The constant staring was unbearable, even for him, used to it since his first year.


Instead of attending the public ceremony, he and the others would go to the private service. He, Ron and Neville quietly made their way down to the common room to wait for the girls. Neville looked pale.


“All right there, Neville?” Ron asked as they took their seats in front of the fire.


“Not really. Parvati and I had a big row last night. She doesn’t understand why I won’t go to the service with her in the Great Hall,” Neville responded. “I told her that I wanted to go with you guys to the private one, but she’d have none of that. She doesn’t want to spend all day, you know, feeling sad about Hagrid.”


“Humpff,” Harry intoned.


“Why can’t you do both?” Ron questioned.


Neville shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “Well, I would, but she was already so mad at that point…” he trailed off.


“So what, she thinks you are choosing Harry over her or something?” Ron questioned.


Neville turned slightly pink. “Actually, she thinks I’m choosing Luna over her.”


At this point, Ginny and Hermione made their entrance, both wearing black dress robes.


“Have you all seen the Prophet this morning?” Hermione inquired.


Neville, seemingly thankful for the change in subject, answered, “No, what’s it say?”


Taking her seat, Hermione began, “Well, the front page is just a big picture of Scrimgeour breaking Voldemort’s wand.” She showed them the paper, and indeed the Minister of Magic was standing upon a raised platform in the Atrium of the Ministry, smiling broadly and breaking the wand of the most feared Dark Wizard of the age.


“Seems like he’s going to try and milk this for all it’s worth, and the prat didn’t even help,” Ron spat.


“I think that public opinion is in agreement with you there, Ron,” Hermione announced, opening the paper and showing an article on page three.

The Chosen One, The Real Hero

The Ministry is being overrun with questions concerning why Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived twice, has not received his fair share of the accolades for the defeat of He Who Must Not Be Named. Over the past several days, reports have surfaced from Aurors who were on the scene, explaining that when they arrived, You Know Who was already unconscious. It was only left for them to bind him and take him into custody. Ministry officials, speaking anonymously, have reported that You Know Who’s condition is not the result of any spell they can determine, and certainly not one from the standard Aurors’ training handbook.

When asked about these reports, Dolores Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, remarked that she has “no knowledge of any of this and anyone looking to promote his own celebrity would do well to remember the danger of spreading lies.”

To a follow-up question about who might be looking to promote his own celebrity, Ms. Umbridge simply smiled and responded, “Well, who would have the most to gain from CLAIMING that he defeated He Who Must Not Be Named again?” This obvious reference to Harry Potter did not go unnoticed by the assembled media, although Ms. Umbridge refused to name names, or go into further detail.

Ms. Umbridge’s comments notwithstanding, the evidence clearly builds that Harry Potter is the true hero in the defeat of You Know Who and deserves to be honoured for his achievement. It is also clear that the public is beginning to clamour for him to be recognized as the hero he is.


This story continued on page twelve.


Harry was stunned as he sat on the couch, holding Ginny’s hand. Hermione folded the paper and tossed it into the fire before looking at Harry and starting to speak again. “Just wait, Harry, they are going to want to give you the Order of Merlin for this.”


All the colour drained from Harry’s face. He thought this was a possibility, but it was something he didn’t want. He was about to reply when a very gruff looking Parvati came around the corner.


“Neville, can I speak with you?” she said, although it didn’t sound like a request. She then seemed to notice the rest of the group, “Oh, good morning all,” she announced, fixing a smile on her face.


Neville got up and walked to other side of the room with Parvati in tow.


Harry went back to his reply. “I don’t want the Order of Merlin. I didn’t finish the job.” He had finally voiced his concern and with that, it all came rushing out. “The prophecy says that one of us has to kill the other. As far as I can tell, neither of us is dead, so I don’t really think this is over yet.”


Ron and Hermione sat with bemused looks on their faces. Ginny squeezed his hand as she began to speak. “Harry, you said yourself that you felt his mind break, that his connection to the Death Eaters was destroyed. Maybe he isn’t dead, but maybe, since he doesn’t have their strength, and his mind is…erm, well… maybe that is as good as dead.”


Harry could tell she was trying to convince herself of this as much as she was trying to convince him. “I know this isn’t over. I don’t know when I’ll have to face him again, but he isn’t dead, so the prophecy is not fulfilled yet.”


The others in the group all nodded in agreement. Harry could feel that, deep down, they all knew that the story wasn’t over and that the real final battle was still in the future. He smiled”the first smile in the last several days”when he realized once again how much his friends cared for him.


The loud crack of the portrait hole closing brought Harry out of his reverie. He noticed that Neville was standing by the fireplace, looking paler than he had earlier. Parvati was nowhere to be seen, so Harry assumed it was she who had slammed the portrait hole shut.


Hermione was the first to venture a question. “Are you two all right?”


Neville let out a long breath. “No, not really. She seems to think that I don’t want to be with her, and that you lot, more specifically Luna, are more important to me than she is.”


“So it’s over then?” Ginny inquired sympathetically.


“I don’t really know; she didn’t say one way or the other.”


They sat there for another ten minutes, each lost in their own thoughts, with Neville standing and staring into the fire.


Finally, Ron spoke up. “We need to go. The private service will start soon and we have to meet Luna downstairs.”


They all got up to leave, with Harry still wondering when the war would really come to an end.
++++++


Days turned into weeks and May slipped into June with no further stirrings from Voldemort. All but three of his Death Eaters had been accounted for, along with almost all of people who had been missing for so long. Unfortunately, most were found dead, with only Florean Fortescue being found alive.


He explained that he had been kidnapped by Death Eaters in an effort to get information about Hogwarts, since his great-grandfather had been a headmaster of the school. When it was finally determined that Fortescue truly had no information, Severus Snape had been ordered to kill him, but instead hid him in a secret room in his house at Spinner’s End for months.


The only person still missing was Mr. Ollivander, and no one seemed to have any knowledge of his whereabouts, or whether he was alive or dead. The worst was feared for the old wandmaker when it was learned that Voldemort himself was the last to see him alive.


The Weasleys seemed to be slowly”very slowly”recovering from the revelations of their third son. Percy was in the Ministry, along with several other captured Death Eaters. Harry had learned from Charlie that Mr. Weasley had attempted to visit him on several occasions, only to be rejected without so much as a word.


“Mum’s in a right state,” Charlie had explained. “She is putting up a strong front, but when I went to see her for dinner the other night, she seemed on the verge of tears constantly. I heard her and dad talking, and she is actually blaming herself for what he did.” Charlie’s face had turned red. Ron snapped his quill in two upon hearing this, and went on a several-minute-long rant about Percy, which culminated in a third year’s book being chucked out the window.


After this incident, however, the Weasleys began to show signs of improvement. By the first of June, they had almost recovered.


It seemed that the more time that passed without Voldemort awakening, the more confident Harry got that he may actually have finished with him. The final three weeks of school had finally arrived, and for Harry and his friends this meant a whirlwind of activity. N.E.W.T.s were scheduled for the next to last week of school, with the final Quidditch match of the year set for the Saturday of that week. It would be Slytherin against Gryffindors for the cup, as usual.


Added to the mix was a special Ministry ceremony, in which Harry was to receive the Order of Merlin, Second Class. Scrimgeour had finally succumbed to public pressure, and gave a full recounting of Voldemort’s defeat for the Prophet.


“It’s a bit odd, don’t you think?” Ron mentioned in a puzzled tone, as Hermione folded the paper. “I mean, the Ministry has been saying that you didn’t really do anything, and now they want to give you the Order of Merlin. What’s old Scrimgeour playing at?”


Hermione laid the paper on the table and began to explain, “I think they have realized that the public is not going to believe that Harry didn’t have anything to do with the battle with Voldemort. So they had to change their approach. Instead of downplaying Harry’s role, they are going to try and use him to make themselves look good. They will get pictures of him standing with the Minister of Magic and try to gain as much good will as possible.”


“No, they won’t,” Harry announced as he sat at the table, a large grin playing across his face. “I just owled the Ministry, informing them that I would not be able to attend their little ceremony and that they can keep their medal.”


Ron looked stunned by this revelation. “So you aren’t going to accept the Order of Merlin either?”


“Nope,” Harry replied. He then reached for a stack of bacon and began loading down his plate.
+++++++

N.E.W.T.s were scheduled to begin on Monday morning. They would consist of each seventh-year student sitting for a three-hour oral exam, with Ministry representatives asking questions. Each student would be questioned in the areas that they had focused on during their sixth and seventh years. More than one exam would take place at the same time, in order to accommodate all the seventh-year students.


Hermione was slated for Monday at nine in the morning. Harry’s had been set for one Tuesday afternoon and Ron’s was set for Thursday at three.


As Monday morning dawned, it was clear that Hermione was feeling the pressure of her impending exam. Ron and Harry entered the Great Hall to find her trying to eat breakfast. She did not seem to be having much success. Ron paused for a minute, noting the tension on Hermione’s face. Harry had seen it too, and he could feel it, even without making a connection to her.


Harry watched as Ron pulled out his wand, took a napkin from the table, and transfigured it into a beautiful red rose. He walked up to Hermione, and without saying a word, placed the rose on one of the many books she was reading. Harry stayed back, not wanting to intrude on this moment. Instead, he watched as his two closest friends embraced, a great smile filling Hermione’s face. She took the rose and smelled it, closed the book, and finished her breakfast, holding hands with Ron. How did they get to this point? Harry wondered. His mind went over memories of their rows in the common room, the classrooms, the Quidditch pitch, and truly everywhere else. Now Ron was a caring, thoughtful young man, and Hermione was closing books to talk with him. Harry shook his head and smiled as he approached the table.


“Morning, Harry, why didn’t you come down with Ron?” Hermione asked. The colour had returned to her face, but Harry could still feel the tension she harboured over the exam.


“I did, but I didn’t want to interrupt Mr. Romance here.”


Ron blushed slightly, but said nothing. He and Harry tucked in for breakfast, while Hermione, who had finished, began to study again. The table was quiet as most of the students had already rushed off to morning classes. Ginny barely made it down to breakfast before having to go to Potions.


The only students left in the Great Hall were seventh years. Harry was finishing his third plate when an all too familiar sound caught his attention.


“Hem, hem,” came a girlish little cough from just behind Harry. He slowly turned and found the toad-like form of Dolores Umbridge smiling sweetly down at him.


“Good morning, children,” she exclaimed in her sickeningly sweet voice.


“Good morning, Professor,” they replied out of habit from their fifth year. Harry felt revulsion as soon as he said it.


“You aren’t here for the N.E.W.T.s, are you?” Ron asked.


“Oh no, dear boy. I am here to speak with Harry about an urgent matter. Harry, we just received your owl informing us that you are not planning on attending your ceremony. We at the Ministry are most disturbed about that, and hope that you will reconsider.”


Her voice never changed from the girlish, friendly tone she almost always used. Harry could see, however, the hardness in her eyes. This was not a request to reconsider, but a demand to attend the event. He was about to reply, when the Great Hall’s doors slammed open.


“What in the bloody hell is this all about!” shouted Charlie Weasley as he stormed into the room.

McGonagall was right at his heels. “Professor Weasley, we cannot have you using that sort of language in this school.”


Charlie looked around the room for several seconds, and finally spotted his target. He marched over to Umbridge, rage evident on his face. “What is the meaning of this? Why do I have four goons from the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures taking custody of one of the school’s Hippogriffs?”


“Which Hippogriff, Charlie?” Harry inquired, a nervous tinge entering his voice.


“Witherwings,” Charlie responded, surprised by the question. “Why?


Umbridge, having observed Harry’s reaction, smiled. “The Ministry believes that Witherwings is in fact Buckbeak, a Hippogriff that has been declared too dangerous to live. He was scheduled to be destroyed some four years ago, but mysteriously disappeared just before his execution.”


“That’s ridiculous, you smarmy sack of””


“Professor Weasley!” McGonagall interrupted. “Dolores, why have I not been informed about this?”


“Why, Minerva, I sent you a copy of the order. It must not have been delivered yet. And I would appreciate you using my correct title in front of the children.” That voice was really beginning to make Harry nauseous.


McGonagall was showing signs of losing her temper at this point, while Charlie was barely keeping his anger in check. “In that case, I would appreciate being addressed as Headmistress McGonagall. And I can assure you that I have not received any such correspondence, Madam Undersecretary.


Harry thought he saw an actual snarl approaching the headmistress’s mouth. He was impressed, though, by the fact that she never lost her composure.


“Oh? Well, I have a copy here as well.” She handed a roll of parchment to McGonagall, grinning at Harry all the while. “You will see that all is in order.”


Pursing her lips, McGonagall read the notice. Charlie was more impatient. “So, what do we do now?”


“Well, that is quite simple. We will determine whether or not this creature is indeed Buckbeak. If he is, then we will fulfill the order to execute him. If not, he will be returned to Hogwarts, no harm done. I believe it will take just a few days to determine the creature’s true identity.” She looked meaningfully at Harry. “So, shall we say, Saturday? After the Ministry’s ceremony?”


Harry’s shoulders dropped as he realized that he would now have to go to the ceremony, in order for Buckbeak to live. “Fine,” he spat.


“Wonderful, the Minster will be so pleased!” she exclaimed. “Have a lovely day, children.” Harry watched as the toad-like woman marched out.


“What was that all about?” Charlie asked, still red and very angry.


“I have to go that stupid ceremony. If I go, then you will be able to take Witherwings back here. If I don’t, they are going to kill him.” Harry simply shook his head in dejection. “Will you two go with me?”


“Of course, we didn’t let you take on Voldemort alone; we won’t let you face this alone either,” Ron responded bracingly.


Hermione then jumped up. “Oh dear, I have to go to my exam!” She gave Ron a quick kiss and ran to the door.


Harry raised his mental walls as he focused on Hermione. All the tension had returned as she made her way to classroom number four on the second floor. You’ll do great, Hermione. You are the smartest witch of this age. Ravenclaw herself would have had a hard time matching you.


A rush of embarrassment came over Hermione as she entered the classroom and Harry knew that her cheeks must be flaming red at the compliment. It had served its purpose, however, because as she sat down in front of her examiners, the tension seemed to melt away from her and her confidence overflowed.


Thanks, was the last thing he heard before closing off the link.


“So, are we going to study?” Ron asked with a slight grin.


Harry chuckled. “We could, but I could also thrash you at chess, if you like.”


Ron laughed as they left for the common room to enjoy three hours of not studying.
+++++++


A/N: Well I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, as we work our way to the end. Harry still has some work trials to face. Thanks as always to my wonderful pre-betas, cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Also major thanks to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. I also need to start thanking Ravensgryff for moderating this story and giving lots a wonderful insights. Thanks ladies, I couldn’t do it without you.

Up Next, N.E.W.T.s , the Quidditch final and one of the six has to the Hospital Wing.
Skiving Quidditch by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potterverse. I would lke Andrea (Ravensgryff) to moderate this chapter, please.
+++++


The confidence that both Harry and Ron had had Monday morning, concerning their N.E.W.T.s, was fading quickly as students slowly started trickling out of their exams. All students were expressly forbidden to reveal anything about the questions or tasks required, but that didn’t stop them from expressing their thoughts on the difficulty of the exam.


“Most difficult thing I have ever had to do,” explained a very pale Seamus Finnigan in the Great Hall Monday afternoon.


“I just froze up,” Justin Finch-Fletchley was saying as he dashed towards his common room.


Lavender Brown, looking very haggard, noted that, “They made me Transfigure a paving stone into a butterfly. Have you ever tried to make a paving stone pretty, much less make it fly?”


“Lavender, you aren’t supposed to tell what the questions were like, but since I already took mine,” Parvati whispered, “did they make you conjure your own tea leaves, before having to read them?”


Lavender nodded vigorously, and both girls went to their room to console each other.


All Monday afternoon was the same: students in pure distress over the difficulty of their final Hogwarts exam. By mid afternoon, Harry and Ron decided it would be best to stop playing chess, and start revising for their respective turns. They also wondered where Hermione was. She was one of the first to sit for her exam, and yet at four in the afternoon she had still not returned.


“You think she’s all right?” Ron asked.


Harry had been diligent not to make mental contact with her, since he didn’t want to distract her, nor did he want to be cheating by knowing what may be coming for him through her. He had made enough contact, however, to know that she was still in the castle, so he was not concerned for her safety. “She may be sitting for more than the usual N.E.W.T.s,” Harry remarked.


Just then, the portrait hole opened, and Hermione came dashing into the room. Ron quickly rose to meet her. She flung herself in his arms, obviously crying. “Oh, Ron, it was horrible. I mean, they just kept me there and they “well, I can’t talk about it, but it was dreadful.”


Ron and Harry both looked extremely concerned. If N.E.W.T.s can do this to Hermione, we are in big trouble, Harry thought.


Hermione then went upstairs to change for supper, followed quickly by Ginny, who had arrived shortly after Hermione had. Ron and Harry both pulled out their books, and decided that they had better skip eating. “Better study now and eat later, don’t you think?” Ron asked. Harry nodded and they got to work.
+++++++


After a very long night, with almost no sleep, Harry was set to take his exam. He was to go to Classroom 4 on the ground floor at nine in the morning. He sat in the Great Hall not feeling up to eating anything. Hermione sat across from him, seemingly recovered from her ordeal of the previous day. Ron sat next to her, with a book propped up on a milk jug, revising for Transfiguration.


Ginny rose from the table, gave Harry quick kiss and rubbed his back. “You’ll be just fine, Harry.” She wore a slight grin that seemed to say that she knew more than she was telling. She then walked out for her last Potions class of the term.


Harry arrived at Classroom four, just five minutes before his exam. He entered and saw a long table with six chairs sitting behind it. A solitary chair stood in front of the table. Harry felt his stomach clench. He sat in the single chair and waited.


Precisely at nine, six Ministry officials entered the room, looking very sombre, and took their seats. None seemed to even notice that Harry was there.


The first to speak was a middle-aged witch, in burgundy robes. She had a stern face, which looked like it may crack if she smiled, which Harry didn’t think she ever did. His heart began to pound in his chest and he raised his mental walls in order to focus on the task at hand.


You’ll do great, Harry. I love you. Ginny’s voice ran through his head, and a feeling of warmth and peace flooded his body. He smiled for the first time since the previous afternoon.


“Let’s see here. Harry J. Potter,” the burgundy robed witch began, “Gryffindor Hou”” Suddenly, she stopped reading from her parchment, and looked at Harry, as did the rest of the panel. The slightest grin played across her lips, and Harry wondered if it hurt. “It can’t be, not The Harry Potter.”


The rest of the panel was now staring at him as if he were on display. “It must be; I would know that hair anywhere”just like his father’s,” declared a very old wizard who was wearing bright blue robes.


The panel degenerated into mumbles and whispers, “How impressive,” and “just like his father,” being the most notable statements. Harry sat embarrassed, and waited.


“Ehem,” chirped Burgundy Robes, and the panel settled down. “Well, let’s get started, shall we? My name is Matilda McGonagall, Mr. Potter, and I will be examining you in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Are you ready?”


Harry was startled by the name, but that certainly explained her demeanor. He nodded silently and the exam began.


Hours later, Harry finally completed his N.E.W.T.s by Transfiguring a wrist-watch into a wombat. He was exhausted and frustrated at the same time, because it seemed that with every exam question came a question about the battle that Harry had just fought with Voldemort.


“Oh very good, Mr. Potter, now tell us, did you use Occlumency to defeat You Know Who, or was it a type of potion that allowed you to damage his mind so badly?” a portly wizard, who reminded Harry greatly of a pig, asked during the exam.


Over and over again, details were requested, and Harry was compelled to respond. No one broached the subject of Horcruxes, as Harry, his friends, and the Order were the only ones who knew about it. His frustration level increased with each question, because it brought back the doubts he had had right after the confrontation. He had doubts about the war truly being over, and about the final condition of Voldemort; he had successfully taken his mind off of those doubts for a while, but now they were again front and centre in his life.


Harry stalked up to Gryffindor tower, ashen-faced and ready for sleep. Hermione met him at the door. “Care for a walk?” she asked. The pleading look on her face told him she needed him to agree.


“Sure, where’s Ron?”


“Still revising,” she answered with a small grin.


They walked in silence through the castle, each lost in their own thoughts. Harry was wondering what she needed to talk about with him, and he desperately hoped there wasn’t anything wrong between her and Ron.


“So, how was the exam?” Hermione inquired.


“Aggravating,” Harry replied. “All they wanted to know about was the fight with Voldemort.”


“I know,” Hermione responded.


Harry stopped walking. “You knew? Is that what they wanted to talk to you about too?”


Hermione again looked at the verge of tears. “Yes, they didn’t ask me anything that was terribly challenging”nothing that we didn’t cover for our O.W.L.s.”


Harry chuckled at this realization. “So it wasn’t that the exam was too hard that had you so upset yesterday; it was that it was too easy!”


“Well I had heard that N.E.W.T.s are the most difficult exams you can take at school and then, when it was that easy…” she trailed off, looking slightly embarrassed. Harry began to laugh. This proved infectious, because Hermione soon joined in.


“So, why did you want to talk? Is there something wrong…it’s not something between you and Ron is it?” Harry asked as they settled back down.


“Oh, no, I just wanted to see if they had done the same thing to you as they did to me on the exam. I wanted to make sure there wasn’t a mistake or something.”


Harry laughed again at his friend’s desire to take horribly difficult exams. “Well, at least they didn’t cancel them.”


Hermione smacked Harry on the arm, and then continued to walk.


Harry and Hermione were strolling through the castle, taking in the sights on each floor and it seemed to begin to sink in that they were almost finished with Hogwarts. They finally wound their way to the first floor.


“Who just went into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom?” Hermione questioned.


Harry hadn’t seen anyone go in. “Don’t know. Let’s go and find out. We can see if Professor Scurlock is coming back, and if the jinx is finally off the position.”


The walked to the door, knocked and waited. No one answered. Harry tried the knob and found it open. They entered the room, and were met with the sight of Tonks and Remus in a passionate embrace behind the desk.


“Oh, sorry.” They both backed out of the classroom.


Hermione, who was flaming red with embarrassment, looked at Harry. “What do you make of that? Why would they be in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom?”


Harry stood there for a moment wondering the same thing, then, as if a bolt had finally clicked, unlocking a door in their heads, they both had it.


“Tonks is Professor Scurlock,” they announced in unison.


At this moment, Remus opened the door, and ushered them inside. He too looked scarlet. Only Tonks looked normal”well, as normal as someone with spiky pink hair can look.


“Why?” Hermione asked.


Tonks grinned broadly. “I can’t believe that you lot never figured it out. All the times I was late right after Harry trained with me. I thought at least my clumsiness would give it away. Hermione, I think you’re losing your touch.”



Hermione seemed a bit put out by this last comment. “But that doesn’t answer my question,” she replied a bit more harshly than she meant to.


“Well, McGonagall figured you lot were up to something, so she thought she had better have a pair of eyes on you and to keep an eye on the Slytherins. Just in case they tried anything foolish. Harry here was always a step ahead of me, though, so I wasn’t really much help,” Tonks answered.


“Harry, Harry, guess what!?” Ginny shouted as she burst through the classroom door. “Oh hi, Tonks, Professor Lupin.”


“You aren’t surprised to see them here?” Harry asked, dumbfounded.


“Well, you know, I’ve known about Tonks for ages; since before Christmas, actually.”


Harry simply grinned. “What did you want to tell me?”


“Oh, I tracked you. I focused on you, and then I just knew you were here. Isn’t that incredible?” She threw her arms around him.


Harry was amazed, and didn’t know what to say. Remus stepped forward. “Looks like you have an Occlumens to train, Harry.”


Harry grinned again.
++++++


Friday morning dawned bright and warm. Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were all sitting at breakfast. N.E.W.T.s were over for the older ones, so they were simply full of merriment. Ginny, too, was in very high spirits, even though she had her own exams looming in front of her.


Hermione sat with a stack of parchment in front of her as she ate her toast. “Hermione, what are you working on? N.E.W.T.s are over,” Harry questioned.


“Just finishing up some grading for my classes,” she replied absentmindedly.


“I told her to just give them all eight out of ten and be done with it,” said Ron between mouthfuls of bacon.


Hermione pulled a face at Ron, and returned to her grading.


Harry was trying not to laugh, when he noticed Hedwig flying into the Great Hall. She circled for a moment then landed, a small package tied to her leg. Harry reached out to retrieve the package that was undoubtedly for him, when she nipped his finger.


“Hey, what was that for?” Harry exclaimed indignantly. He watched as Hedwig took two steps toward Ginny and lifted her leg. Ginny quickly untied the note, and put the package in her bag.


“Sorry, Harry, I sent Hedwig on an errand. Pig was too small for the package,” Ginny explained.


“So, what did you get?” Harry asked, still looking a little put out with his owl.


Ginny merely grinned, and got up to leave. “Got to get to class.” Ginny got up and, almost immediately, fell back to her seat holding her head.


Harry caught her. “Ginny, you all right?”


Ginny shook her head to clear it, and then stood again. “Yeah, just got up too fast or something. Bye.”


Harry watched her leave, concern etched on his face.


The rest of the day was spent outside, enjoying the summer sun. Ron was busy looking at Quidditch charts and developing their game plan for the final match, against Slytherin.


“Why did McGonagall push the final game so far back in the year?” Hermione asked.


“She said she likes to have the final after the final exams. Sort of makes it like a celebration,” Ron replied, as he manipulated the figures on his chart with his wand, “and she put the Slytherins on the schedule for us last. I think she wanted to see if Harry would be available to play against them if she made the match at the end of the year.”


Harry smiled. “Well, the way Ginny’s been playing, McGonagall needn’t have worried.”


Harry closed his eyes, and enjoyed the warm sunny day. He was almost asleep when he heard Colin Creevey’s voice, “Harry, Harry, come quick! Ginny’s had to go to the Hospital Wing.”


Harry was up in a flash, along with Ron and Hermione, and they sprinted back to the castle.
++++++


The next morning in the common room, Ron was in a dreadful state. “How can she have the stomach flu at a time like this?” he bellowed to no one in particular.


“Ron, she can’t help it if she is sick,” Hermione stated firmly. “People don’t decide when they get sick, now do they?”


“Hermione, you don’t understand; if she’s sick, that means we have to play a person down or find a new Seeker in two hours.” Ron looked over at Harry, who wasn’t paying the least bit of attention.


“Do you think a Slytherin tried to poison her or something?” Harry asked. “I mean, they are probably really mad about--


“Harry, don’t be ridiculous,” Hermione admonished. “It’s just the stomach flu, nothing that a day or two of rest won’t cure.”


“So what am I going to do for a Seeker,” Ron announced, again looking pointedly at Harry, who was again lost in his own world of thought. Ron shook his head. “Maybe Neville, then? Hermione?”


“Maybe Neville what?” Neville responded, entering the common room.


“Maybe you’d like to play Seeker,” Ron answered, his voice growing louder all the time.


Neville looked surprised, intrigued, and terrified all at the same time. “Me, Seeker? But I hate to fly. Why don’t you ask Harry?”


“What?” Harry was startled upon hearing his name. “Ask me what?”


Ron was now at the end of his rope. “Harry, would you play Seeker today for us?”


“Oh, Ron, that’s a wonderful idea,” Hermione piped up. “I bet I can even get a robe ready for you. It won’t be perfect, but my sewing is getting better.”


Before Harry had time to reply, the three of them had hoisted him out of his chair, and began frog-marching him out of the castle towards the Quidditch pitch. He was halfway to the locker room when he realized where they were taking him. “But what if Ginny needs me?” Harry questioned.


Ron was looking a bit aggravated now. “Harry, she’ll be fine. Now, would you please get into that locker room so Hermione can have your robe taken care of.”


Harry entered the locker room, and was greeted by thunderous applause. He looked around, and a giant banner with ‘Potter for President’ was floating in the air. A small figure, which looked very much like Harry, was sailing around it, a golden Snitch racing in front of him.


The twins were standing next to his former locker, beaming, as was Oliver Wood. Oliver limped over to him and shook his hand. “Harry, welcome back to the team.”


“Oliver, what happened?” Harry asked, noticing the limp.


“Took a nasty fall during practice last week. Coach says I’ll be out for a while, but should be back as good as new in a few months.” Wood smiled and stepped out of Harry’s way.


“What is all this?” Harry asked, astonished.


“Ginny’s idea,” Fred replied.


“Owled us last week, telling us that she wanted you to play,” George continued.


“Of course, if Ron had just added you to the team just for the last match…”


“Slytherin would have gone crazy…”


“So we sent her one of these.” Fred held out a Skiving Snackbox.


“Now she has a legitimate reason for not playing.”


“And you get to play the final match of your Hogwarts career.”


Hermione walked up to him and handed him his old Quidditch robes. “Here you go, Harry. Ginny found these in the locker room a couple of weeks ago. That’s when she started thinking about doing this.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Harry began.


“Don’t say anything; just win the Cup. GRYFFINDOR FOR THE CUP!” shouted Dean Thomas. This was followed by cheers from the assembled Gryffindors.


After several more cheers, Ron made all the non-players leave. He gave a brief pep talk, and the team marched out to the pitch.


As Harry shouldered his Firebolt to walk out with his team-mates, he noticed a small note pinned on the side of his robes. He pulled it free, and opened it. It had three words on it: “You’re Worth It.”
++++++


In the Hospital Wing, Ginny sat and listened to the commentary of the match. It was over within an hour, Gryffindor 220, Slytherin 30.


Harry had kept the connection open the entire match and now he was being hoisted on the shoulders of his team-mates, carrying the Quidditch Cup.


You didn’t have to do this, Ginny.


I know, that was what made it so much fun.



Harry was elated, and not even the thought of the Ministry ceremony that evening could dampen his spirits. He knew he had that final hurtle to jump before his life could be his own.
+++++


A/N: I hope you all liked that little bit of fluff. Harry gets to play in his final match at Hogwarts and Ginny gets to give him a wonderful gift. Thanks to my pre betas Kerrbear and Cableguysmom, and as always major thanks to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. Yet another wonderful job ladies.

Up next Harry and his friends make another trip to the Ministry of Magic.
Back to the Ministry by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter universe. I would like Adrea (ravensgryff) to moderate this chapter, please. Thank you.
+++++


The mood in the Gryffindor common room was exceptionally festive. Harry had been carried on the shoulders of his housemates from the pitch all the way to the portrait hole. As they entered, the celebration went into full swing. Butterbeer and loads of food were waiting for them.


“Well, we just knew you wouldn’t let us down,” Fred announced when Harry began to ask how they had gotten all the food arranged so quickly.


“Hermione had Dobby and Winky bring it all up during the match,” George continued.


Harry and Ron were both incredulous at in this announcement. Hermione was blushing slightly at the looks on their faces. “What? Dobby and Winky are being paid so it was perfectly appropriate for me to ask them to do this. Furthermore, since I am a professor here””


“Hermione, you could have jinxed the whole game,” Ron shouted. “You never plan the celebration before you play the game. You never assume a win is the bag””


Poof.


Ron did not get to finish his lecture on the inappropriateness of Hermione’s actions. Fred stuffed a Canary Cream into his brother’s mouth, and clamped it shut. Ron transformed into a small yellow bird. He flapped his wings angrily at the twins.


Fred looked at Hermione with a smile. “If you ever need him to shut up, just let us know.”


George winked at her as Ron molted and turned into himself again. He was red with embarrassment, but refrained from anymore tirades.


Around two, Ginny arrived for the party, having seemingly made a miraculous recovery. A great cheer erupted from everyone present as she entered. Harry marched over to her, a determined sort of look on his face, scooped her up in his arms and kissed her fiercely. Oohs and ahs broke out from the crowd but Harry didn’t care.


They broke apart and Ginny, a bit breathless, spoke. “Now that was nice way to come into the common room,” she purred, wrapping her arms around him.


“Where have you been?” Harry asked. “I thought you would have been here ages ago.”


Ginny frowned slightly at him. “Well, I couldn’t just leave right after the match was over, could I? That would have seemed awfully suspicious.”


Harry grinned, recognizing the truth of her statement.


The rest of the afternoon was spent merrily enjoying the celebration of Gryffindor’s fourth cup in five years. Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet, and Katie Bell had all returned for the festivities. It seemed that Katie and Oliver Wood were enjoying themselves quite well, as they sat very closely on one of the couches.


Far too soon it was time for Harry and his friends to get ready for the Ministry ceremony that evening. Harry, who had been blackmailed into going by Umbridge, had insisted that his five friends be allowed to attend. He originally wanted them to be awarded Orders of Merlin as well, but this request was flatly refused.


As he walked up to the dormitory to change, he kept telling himself this was for Buckbeak. That helped a little, but with every step, his dread about the ceremony grew.
+++++


At six that evening, Harry, Ron and Neville sat in their dormitory waiting. They had agreed to meet Ginny and Hermione in the common room in twenty minutes, but didn’t want to wait there. Dean had started leading some fifth years in a Muggle athletic celebration tradition: pouring champagne on each other. In the absence of champagne, Butterbeer was used, and soon all those left in the common room were wet and sticky.


Harry looked out the window at the setting sun. He watched as Charlie and Fang walked across the grounds towards Hagrid’s house, and a pang of sadness resonated in Harry’s heart. He dearly missed Hagrid, he thought. At least I can take care of Grawp. Which he had done: with Charlie’s and his friends’ help, Harry had Grawp taken to Lion’s Watch. The grounds of the massive estate were a perfect place for him. He could hunt, uproot trees or whatever he fancied without fear of detection.


Harry continued to watch Charlie as he made his way past Hagrid’s cabin towards the front gates. He knew that Charlie, who had not taken up residence in Hagrid’s old house, was heading home to change. He would be going to the Ministry to pick Buckbeak up and take him back to Hogwarts as soon as Harry fulfilled his end of the bargain.


Tap, tap.


At another window, a very strange-looking owl waited patiently on the ledge. Ron opened the window and the owl, whose head looked too big for his body, dropped an envelope on Ron’s bed and then fluttered off to Harry. The owl landed on Harry’s bedside table and stuck out his leg. Harry took the letter off, looking at Ron, who had a bemused expression on his face.


They looked at their envelopes, and noticed that both had the same terribly messy handwriting on the front. Harry tore open his letter and began to read.

Harry,
Sorry I didn’t get to see you after the final match; I had pressing matters to attend to. I am hoping that now, perhaps, things in your life have changed enough so that you will reconsider my offer and try out for the English team this year. Training camp begins on July the twentieth if you are interested.


Outstanding catch in the match today, by the way. I had forgotten how well you fly. You would be more than a match for Viktor Krum , I think. Hope we find out!


Sorry for the messy handwriting. I usually have my secretary write these things but I wanted to do it personally. Have a wonderful time at the Ministry tonight and think about trying out.


Sincerely,
Quinton White



Harry stood smiling at Ron, who had just finished reading his own letter. Harry guessed that his best friend’s was very similar to his own.


Ron spoke first. “The twentieth…you’d miss your birthday.”


“Well, I’ve never had a proper birthday anyway, have I?”


Ron’s smile grew. “So, do you think we should try out?”


Harry sat there for a moment, thinking. “Let’s see how things go. I am still not sure that Voldemort is gone, but I can’t just sit around and wait for him to wake up.” There was a moment of silence before Neville, not really knowing what they were talking about, told them it was time to head downstairs.


Harry, Ron and Neville went downstairs and found Ginny and Hermione waiting for them, wands drawn, threatening anyone who came near them with a bottle. The boys made quick dash to them and they all, thankfully, made it out of the portrait hole without being showered with Butterbeer.


They met Luna halfway to Ravenclaw Tower and made their way down to the entrance hall, where a Portkey was waiting to take them to the Ministry. They had chosen to wear their Hogwarts robes, instead of dress robes, as a silent protest for Harry being forced into this photo opportunity for the Minster. Luna even wore her radish earrings.

As they descended the marble steps to the ground floor, two things caught their attention. First was the menacing form of Kingsley Shacklebolt, waiting for them at the foot of the staircase. Second was Peeves floating happily over the steps brandishing several large water balloons.


“Oh, look it, Potty and his gang, and looking so nice in their robes.” Peeves made to start throwing balloons. Hermione and Ginny shrieked and began to cover their heads, in an attempt to protect their hair. Ron and Neville started shouting and brandishing their wands, and Luna looked, as usual, like she did not care in the least. Ron and Neville began to try and drag the girls from the top step, but stopped. Harry had stepped forward, staring at Peeves.


“Stop, Peeves, now’s not the time!” he exclaimed, a little above a normal speaking voice. Peeves stopped mid-throw, looking dumbfounded. The entrance hall was silent for a moment and then, to everyone’s surprise, Peeves turned and floated away without so much as a backward raspberry.


“Wow, Harry, that was cool,” Colin Creevey said, approaching them from the corridor. “I saw Dumbledore do that to Peeves one night, but he is the only one who could just make Peeves go away. Even the Bloody Baron can’t control Peeves that well.” There was a hint of awe in Colin’s voice, which had not been there in some time. Harry looked away, embarrassed.


“Anyway, Harry, I was thinking, well wondering actually, erm…could I get a picture of you six? You know for old times’ sake?”


Harry looked at the others, and all seemed to be agreeable to a picture. “You know, Colin,” Harry responded, turning back to Colin, “I think that is the first time you have asked to take my picture in all the years we have been here.”


Colin blushed as he raised his camera. The group formed into a tight group, with Ginny holding Harry’s hand. Ron’s arm was around Hermione. Colin took the picture, blinding them all with the flash. “Thanks, Harry. I will send you all a copy if you like?” Colin, for an instant, reverted back to the breathless eleven-year-old boy whom Harry had first met six years ago.


“That would be great,” Harry stated as the others nodded and smiled. “But don’t ask me to sign it or anything.”


“Oh no, Harry.” Colin blushed again and Harry thought just for a second that, while he was joking about it, Colin may have wanted a signed copy.


“Hey, you lot,” came a deep voice from the base of the steps. “You only have two minutes before you have to be there, so get a move on.”


“Let ‘em wait,” shouted Ron, but Hermione quickly started tugging him down the steps.


“Ron, we don’t want to give Umbridge any excuse to double-cross Harry and kill Buckbeak,” she explained.


They reached the bottom of the steps and each placed a finger on an old feather duster that Kingsley was holding. “Three-two-one.”


Harry felt the familiar tug behind his navel and they were whisked away to the Ministry of Magic.


“What took you so long?” came the sickly sweet voice of Dolores Umbridge as the six teens sorted themselves out after landing inside the Ministry. “You were to be here promptly and you were to wear formal dress robes.

“Sorry, this was all”” Harry began, but she cut across him.


“No matter.” Her smile was still plastered on like a simpering toad. Harry could tell, however, that being nice was costing her dearly. “What you have on will suffice.” Beckoning to the group, she continued, “You five may go and join the other guests, just through those doors, on the right side of the Atrium. Harry and I will be coming along in a moment.”


Ginny looked like she was not going to leave, until Harry nodded to her. “It’s all right.” She grudgingly walked with the others, shooting glances over her shoulder as she went.


The others walked through the doors and Umbridge rounded on Harry, dropping all pretence of sweetness. “All right, Potter, you listen to me. You are going to behave tonight. The Minister will get up and say a few words to the press. He will then give you the Order of Merlin medal. You will smile and shake his hand and be grateful for the honour.


“If the press wants to ask you questions, you will answer and tell them how much you appreciate the Order of Merlin and that you were happy to work alongside the Ministry of Magic to put an end to this war. Do I make myself clear?”


Harry was fuming at this point. He was prepared to graciously receive this medal”although he didn’t want to”because he wanted Buckbeak to be all right. Having to lie about the “helpfulness” of the Ministry was another thing altogether.


Umbridge must have seen the rebellious look in his eye, because she hastily continued, “If you step out of line tonight, or embarrass the Ministry in any way, not only will that foul beast be destroyed, but that red-headed character”Charlie Weasley is it?”will be arrested for harboring a fugitive creature.”


Harry had gone pale at this point, but understood he had no choice. “Fine,” he replied through gritted teeth.


The sweet little girl smile returned and Umbridge led Harry into the room where the ceremony would take place.


Harry had been expecting a small group of people, so he was astounded to see well over a hundred people sitting in the room. Scrimgeour was already standing at the podium in the front of the room, taking questions.


“Minister, do you have any news on the giant attack in Kent this afternoon?”


“Yes, that is being sorted out as we speak. It appears that a large group of giants were coming to help He Who Must Not Be Named, but when they found out that he was already defeated, they turned around and started for their homes in the mountains. The attack was apparently their way of blowing off steam. It took most of the Aurors on duty to take care of it, but it seems…



“Well, enough of that, the man of the hour has arrived.” Scrimgeour pointed at Harry and the entire room turned in unison to stare at him as he walked to the platform, with Umbridge beaming and walking beside him. He noticed her beginning to reach up to place a hand on his shoulder, as if they were good friends, and he picked up his pace, leaving her groping the air.


He reached the platform, walked right by Scrimgeour and sat in a chair behind him. Harry looked out into the crowd, searching for his friends. He found them in the far corner of the room, and was surprised to see that a good number of Order members had come as well.


All the Weasleys were there, Fred and George wearing outlandish lime-green robes. Remus and Tonks sat alongside Moody and Professor McGonagall. Bill and Fleur sat behind them, both looking extremely happy. Charlie sat next to them, beside Abe Dumbledore, who had his arm around the lunch trolley lady from the Hogwarts Express. They were all beaming at him.


Minister Scrimgeour still standing at the podium and began his formal remarks. Harry continued to sit behind and to the right, while Umbridge stood, smiling sweetly, behind and to the left.


“Ladies and gentlemen, we come here on a very auspicious evening. Tonight, the most evil Dark Wizard, possibly ever, will finally receive the end that he most surely deserves. For this very evening we will be sending what remains of He Who Must Not Be Named through the veil in the Department of Mysteries.”


This statement was greeted with many gasps, some oohs and ahs, a cry of “that’s never been done before,” and finally a great round of applause. Harry stood there feeling like a lead weight had been dropped into the pit of his stomach. He was completely taken off his guard by this pronouncement. His mind started to race, and he was no longer able to take in a word Scrimgeour said.


A thousand questions darted into Harry’s mind. Why tonight, why not last week or sooner? Do they want me to be some part of that too? Is that what the Prophecy meant? Perhaps I am going to push Voldemort through the veil.


As Harry’s mind battled with these and other questions, Scrimgeour droned on and on, with Harry only picking up an occasional word. Finally, after what seemed like hours to Harry, applause broke out again, and Scrimgeour turned towards him with a small box in his hand. Harry looked confusedly from the box to the Minister a couple of times before he realized what was going on.


Harry reached out, grasped the box in one hand and shook the Minister’s right hand. He tried to smile, but he was sure it came across as fake. Flashbulbs were now blinding him as photographers were snapping shots and yelling instructions. It was quite overwhelming.


Bang!


Harry thought he had heard a something that didn’t sound like a flashbulb, but he was too blinded to see into the crowd for the source of the sound. The pictures just kept coming. Scrimgeour and Umbridge now had Harry between them. Harry tried to pull away from the Minister, but he refused to let go of his grip on Harry’s hand. Harry gave a great yank and finally freed his hand just as a brilliant green flash filled the hall. There was a sound of rushing wind and Rufus Scrimgeour collapsed on the floor, clearly dead.


Screams crossed throughout the hall. The flashbulbs continued to burst on the stage, and chaos ensued in the crowd. Harry backed away from the body of the Minister of Magic and was grabbed from behind and spun around.


“WHAT DID YOU DO?” yelled Umbridge at Harry. Harry did not have time to answer. His eyes were finally back to normal, and from the way Umbridge had spun him around, he had a clear view of the doors leading into the press room. He watched as men and women in torn and shabby robes charged into the room.


He saw that two of the people now firing spells into the crowd had Death Eater attire on, while the others wore tattered and dirty robes and must have been the captured Death Eaters who had now been set free. And as if to prove the point, he saw Percy clamouring through one of the side doors.


Harry did not have time to think about this, however, because Umbridge was still screaming at him. The taller of the two remaining Death Eaters turned and fired yet another green beam of light directly at Harry and Umbridge.


Gathering all the strength he could muster, Harry pushed Umbridge off the stage, propelling himself in the opposite direction. The curse went between them, striking the wall and sending bits of masonry into the air.


With reflexes born out of years of Quidditch”and all the training throughout the last year”Harry landed on his back, rolled and was up, wand at the ready, before a second curse could be fired. He watched in stunned fascination as reality dawned on Umbridge’s toad-like face. Then something completely unexpected happened. She glanced at Harry and then disappeared, replaced by an actual toad, which hopped under the stage.


Flashbulbs continued to sound all around Harry. Most of the photographers were getting pictures of the fight, without actually joining in. From his position, Harry was able to observe the battle taking place, but was having difficulty getting to a place where he would be able to fight. He got up and crossed the stage to the place where Umbridge had transformed. Here he could crouch down, remain unseen and still fire at the group of rampaging escapees.


He raised his mental walls and felt the presence of all five of his friends. They seemed very frustrated, and a quick look at their positions told him why. All the Order members, including the teens, having been seated furthest away from the doors, were now unable to get into a position to fight around all the frightened spectators.


Harry started firing jinxes towards the escapees. He had Stunned three before they knew someone was firing from their flank. The shorter of the two Death Eaters turned and raised his wand, but was knocked over by a wizard seeking escape from the carnage. His mask knocked off, Harry’s suspicions were confirmed, Draco sneered at the old wizard before firing the Killing Curse at his defenseless victim.


Harry fired at Draco, but he rolled out of the way. Harry noticed a wild, insane look in Draco’s eyes that he had never seen before, as if something in Malfoy had snapped or a full year in the presence of Voldemort had finally removed any trace of innocence he ever had. It reminded Harry powerfully of the look on the younger Bellatrix Lestrange he had observed in Dumbledore’s Pensieve: the look of someone who would not be coming back to the light side.


A green beam flashed over Harry’s head. He ducked down again, firing a Stunner. It missed.


The crowd was now thinning, whether because they had escaped or because they had been killed, Harry did not know. The Order had finally started to engage the enemy, as Harry traded curses with Malfoy. He hit Draco with a Cutting Curse that opened a large gash across his head, knocking the blond boy back several steps. Just then, Moody broke free from the crowd and fired. For the second time that evening, Harry watched someone become an animal, but this time not voluntarily.


Draco, for the second time in his life, was transformed into a white ferret. It dashed, dodging curses, and escaped out of the hall. Harry didn’t think that was the best strategy, since now Malfoy had escaped, but he didn’t have time to ponder it; he had just noticed the other Death Eater streaking for the door.


Harry dashed to the doors as well, unwilling to allow anyone else to escape. He burst into the Atrium. Buckbeak was standing alone, pawing the ground, presumably left there by someone from the Ministry when the attack commenced. Desperate to track down the remaining unidentified Death Eater, Harry hardly registered the white furry creature the Hippogriff had just snatched from the floor.


Harry saw the tall Death Eater running away from the exit. He was making for the lifts and Harry knew immediately that he was trying to get to Voldemort. He bolted for the lifts as well. The Death Eater entered the first one and began to descend towards the ninth level, where the Department of Mysteries was located.


Harry slammed the call button and waited. He then realized that the others had no idea where he was. He focused his mind and began to think, I’m following a Death Eater to the Department of Mysteries. I think he is trying to revive Voldemort somehow.


The lift arrived and Harry sprang inside, viciously punching the button for level nine. He heard Ginny’s voice inside his head. What do you mean revive Voldemort? How can he…? Stay there, we will be there in a moment.


As the lift descended, Harry could tell his friends were trying to extricate themselves from the fight above. Don’t bother; I can still feel you lot with me down here, so I’m not alone.


That’s not good enough, Harry.Hermione’s voice echoed in his mind. If you just wait, we can be there and help you. If Voldemort is revived, you are going to need us.


“Level Nine, Department of Mysteries,” announced a female voice from the lift. Harry didn’t answer; instead, he began to sprint to the door leading to the Death Chamber. He crossed the hall and slammed open the door leading to the circular room. Two Aurors were lying on the floor beside the door. Neither of them seemed to be breathing.


To his right, a door was being slammed shut. Before he could reach the door, it closed and the room began to spin. Panic began to rise in Harry as he was now sure he would not be able to find the room before Voldemort was revived. He tried a door at random and found that it was locked. He tried another. This one opened and Harry looked inside; the room with the brains in a tank, which had been repaired, stood in front of him. He moved away from the door, hoping it would remain open for him so the room would not spin again. It closed without warning and once again the room swirled with only the glow of the blue candles to mark its movement.


Frustrated beyond sense, he yelled, “I need the Death Chamber!” and a door to his left opened. He ran through it and saw a man in black robes, with long silver-white hair, holding an empty phial in his left hand and a wand in his right.


“INCARCERUS!” shouted Lucius Malfoy.


Black ropes shot from his wand and wrapped themselves tightly around Harry at the ankle, waist and shoulders. Harry stumbled and fell to the side, hitting the ground and knocking the breath out of himself. He looked up quickly and saw Malfoy smiling down at him, as behind him, lying on a stone table, Voldemort began to stir.
++++++


A/N: Sorry for the evil cliff hanger. For all of you that figured out that Harry hadn’t completely defeated Voldemort at the Burrow great job keeping up. I hope you enjoyed it all. We are almost to the end now for real.


Thanks as always to my marvelous pre-betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear for their help with this chapter, And many thanks to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC for their work making it polished and looking good, also thanks to Ravensgryff for doing an outstanding job of moderating the story. Thanks ladies.


Up next the final battle!
Life and Death by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Potter universe. I would like Andrea to moderate this chapter, please. Thanks
+++++


For the second time in Harry’s young life, he watched as Lord Voldemort rose, seemingly from death. The first time, Harry had been tied to a gravestone, forced to endure the torment of seeing his worst nightmare realized. He had begged for someone, anyone, to make that babylike creature drown in the smoking cauldron. His fear and panic had seemed to be out of control that time.


This time was different. Even as he watched Voldemort shudder and then slowly begin to get to his feet, Harry knew that this time would be different. He would defeat this evil once and for all. His mind was sharp and focused as he connected with his friends. Voldemort is alive and beginning to move. I’m tied up with an Incarcerous Curse, he explained over the link.


Harry, we are still stuck up here. We can’t get to the doors yet, Ginny responded, and Harry could feel the panic starting to seep through her. This was something he didn’t need.


Ginny, don’t panic. I’m fine for the time being, and if I can get loose it’ll be all right. Just don’t panic, because I’ll feel it if you do.


Harry felt a steely resolve cascade over her and himself. He could feel the presence of his friends, although they were so far away. Hermione’s mind, Neville’s courage, Ron’s strategies, Luna’s creativity, and Ginny’s love and passion for him, all working together with his own formidable talent on getting him unbound and finishing this fight.


“Lucius,” rasped Voldemort, who was now in a sitting position, “my wand.” Malfoy pulled a long strip of wood from inside his black robe and handed it over to his master, bowing his head in the process.

“My Lord, I have come to revive you, just as you requested.” Malfoy inclined his head a bit more.


Voldemort grasped the wand and seemed to gain energy from it as he gingerly got to his feet. “You have done well, Lucius, far better than I have come to expect.” Malfoy looked up, startled by his master’s words, but Voldemort continued, seemingly getting stronger with each step. “Are there others who have come to help you?”


“My Lord, there was no one but my wife and son who was not captured. My son was with me, but I don’t know where he is now. As for my wife,” Malfoy hesitated, “she refused to come.”


Voldemort gave a derisive laugh. “Well I hope you put her in her place.”


“Yes, my lord,” Malfoy stated, bowing again. “My lord, Potter is here.”


Voldemort looked in Harry’s direction and his mirthless smile stretched across his face. “Harry, how nice of you to join us for yet another of my revivals. Do you like my new wand?”


Harry could not have cared less about Voldemort’s wand, but he knew he had to keep Voldemort talking until he could get himself free. He was trying over and over again to cast a Severing Charm on the ropes that bound him, but he could not get them loose enough for the wand movement.


“Yeah, nice, I guess you needed a new one since Scrimgeour snapped the old one.” Harry could feel his friends were still in the hall, unable to get out.


“Is that what happened?” Voldemort replied. “I thought as much since Lucius brought this new one. No matter, I rather like it. It’s a bit of old Ollivander’s best work. Took him months to find the right materials, but after a while he came through. In fact it is the last wand he ever made.” A high-pitched, insane laugh echoed through the chamber.


Harry’s heart sank. Ollivander was the only missing person still unaccounted for and now it was clear that he was dead.


“Would you like to see how it works?” Voldemort slowly raised his wand, but instead of pointing it at Harry, he brought it to bear on Malfoy.


“Master, what””


“Be quiet, Lucius,” Voldemort cut him off harshly. “You have done nothing but fail me for many years now. Did you think that I would allow you to destroy something as important as my diary without punishing you?”


This struck Harry as very odd since Dumbledore had said that Voldemort’s punishment for Malfoy over the diary was incredibly severe.


“Master.” Malfoy was on his knees.


“Did you really believe that a few bouts of the Cruciatus would be enough? Lord Voldemort does not forgive so easily. But I relented. I wanted to see if you could redeem yourself, and then, in this very room, you failed me. You did not recover the prophecy, and you got yourself captured.”


Malfoy began to shake. “Master, please, there was nothing I could have done. Dumbledore arrived…”


“SILENCE!” Voldemort shouted. “You dare speak that old fool’s name? You disappoint me, Lucius. Still I, perhaps foolishly, held out hope for you. I sent you and Snape to fetch Potter when that foul house-elf showed up with Bellatrix. Another fiasco, and two of my most faithful servants got killed. You were captured again, and yet I still refused to believe you were completely incompetent.


Malfoy was lying, almost prone, on the floor. Voldemort towered over him. “Finally you were sent on the simplest of tasks: Collect the Mudblood, and again you failed. Over and over again you have shown yourself to be nothing but a waste of my time and energy.”


Malfoy looked up, fear etched upon his face. “My Lord, I was the one who brought the potion, the one who revived you in your time of need.”


“One success cannot make up for a lifetime of failure, Lucius. You should have died long ago.” Without warning, Voldemort raised his wand. “Avada Kedavra.”


He shows as little mercy to his friends as he does to his enemies, Harry thought, remembering Dumbledore’s words.


Lucius Malfoy was struck in the face, lifted into the air backwards, and dropped upon the dais that held the veil. Harry watched, stunned, as grisly, black arms, very similar to the arms of a Dementor, reached out from beyond the veil and pulled Malfoy’s body through it.


Voldemort then turned slowly towards Harry. It seemed that the Killing Curse had taken something out of him, for his left arm hung limp at his side and his shoulders sagged. His face, however, wore the look of a snake about to strike a particularly juicy rat.


“So, Harry, now that you have seen that my power is not diminished, what do you say? Are you ready to join that foolish little mother of yours?”


Harry’s frustration began to mount. He had no way of breaking the ropes that had him bound. He could feel his friends”they had made it out of the hall and were moving towards the lifts”but he was not entirely sure they would get there in time, and even if they did, he wasn’t sure he wanted them with him to face this.


“What’s wrong, boy, cat got your tongue? Are you so afraid to die that you can’t speak?” Voldemort jeered.


Harry smiled back, thinking of his first year. “Death is only the next great adventure, to the uncluttered mind, that is. I don’t suppose that applies to maniacs.”


His friends were at the lifts.


Voldemort laughed. “Who told you that? The old fool Dumbledore? I wonder if he would say that now. Pity he is dead so we can’t ask him.” High-pitched, humourless laughter filled the room. “Don’t go spouting stupid platitudes to me, Harry. I am the greatest wizard in the world. I have conquered death, and you sit here all alone. Your protectors are all dead. Mummy and Daddy, the stupid dog, and now Dumbledore; so much for the power of love!”

His friends were in the circular room.


“Albus Dumbledore is still the greatest wizard in the world!” Harry spat angrily. “And those we love never leave us if we hold them in our hearts.” Harry didn’t know exactly why he said all that”perhaps to convince himself that his ‘protectors’ were still with him.


“Dumbledore was killed by one of my servants”” But the rest of Voldemort’s reply was cut off as three things happened in rapid succession. First there was a blinding flash of firelight that drew both Harry’s and Voldemort’s attention to the very centre of the room: Standing in the arch that held the veil, Fawkes began to sing.


Second, there was a soft click from inside the circular room.


Third, while both their attentions were drawn away, Harry felt a warm furry presence at his back. He could tell immediately that Ginny was working on chewing through the ropes.


Voldemort began to look warily around the room. The presence of Fawkes had unnerved him. “Where is he?!” he shouted. “I know he’s dead, so he can’t be”but if his song bird is”WHERE?!” He sent a purple flame at the place where Harry lay, tightly bound by ropes. However, Harry was no longer there.


A jet of red light fired from the far end of the room, where Ron had burst in through another door. Voldemort blocked it, sending it into a wall. He was about to fire back when he was forced to block a Cutting Curse from Luna. Hermione joined in with a Bludgeoning Hex, which Voldemort dodged while sending a Stunner at her. Neville had just fired a Banishing Charm and knocked Voldemort off balance, causing his Stunner to miss Hermione.


The battle seemed to take place at high speed. Voldemort was doing everything he could to block the fire of Harry and his friends and still attack as well. Each time Voldemort fired an offensive hex, he was forced to dodge three more curses. At this point, Voldemort had been unable to connect a single curse, but Harry and his friends had not landed one either. All the while Fawkes sang on.


“Incendio!” Hermione shouted, and flames erupted around Voldemort. He quickly pronounced a counter-curse, extinguishing the flames. He emerged from the smoke, robes charred, and fired a silver beam at Hermione.


Harry reacted at once, raising a shield in front of her. The spell bounced harmlessly into the wall. Ginny launched a Slicing Hex at Voldemort that connected, sending a long, deep gash down his left cheek.


Voldemort gasped in pain and, in a rage, fired the same silver beam that had killed Dennis Creevey at the first person he saw. Horrorstruck, Harry watched Luna being knocked into the wall and collapsing.


Neville gave a great bearlike roar and transformed. He darted down the steps to the place where Voldemort stood. He was there so quickly that Voldemort barely had time to react. A large black claw came crashing onto the side of the Dark Wizard knocking him off his feet onto the stone steps.


Neville moved to strike again, but was blown back by a curse from Voldemort’s wand. He landed halfway up the steps.


Harry saw Voldemort raise his wand and knew, not knowing how he knew, that Voldemort was going to try and knock them all out with one spell. Without thinking, Harry shouted the words he’d dreaded ever having to say: “AVADA KEDAVRA!”


Green light raced from the end of his wand and found its target. There was a great sound of rushing wind and Voldemort, who had returned to his feet, was knocked head over heels across the stone table where he had been lying before being revived by Lucius Malfoy; he toppled to the other side, lost from view.


Ron raced to Neville, who was just beginning to stir, and Hermione sprinted around to Luna. Harry, feeling sick, simply stared at the spot where Voldemort had stood seconds ago. He had become a murderer. Ginny engulfed him in a huge hug, obscuring his view of the stone table.


“Harry, you did it, he’s gone!” she shouted. Harry barely heard her. He felt numb, like all his senses were on overload and didn’t want to function. He tried to turn Ginny around so he could see Voldemort’s body, but she refused to let him go. Finally he looked into her eyes.


“Sectumsempra,” croaked a voice from the middle of the floor.


Harry watched as Ginny’s eyes widened in shock. He felt warm blood begin to flow over his hands, and could imagine the gaping slashes that must now crisscross her back. She slumped in his arms, turning white before his eyes.


“Ginny?” he whispered as she fell unconscious to the floor at his feet. He looked up and saw Voldemort standing shakily behind the stone table.


“You fool!” he breathed. “You have to want to be a killer to make that spell work! Righteous indignation won’t do it.” Harry could see how weak he was. “Didn’t anyone tell you?” A smile crossed Voldemort’s face.


All the air seemed to have been sucked out of the room. Hermione had gone pale standing over Luna. Ron and Neville looked too stunned to move as Voldemort slowly walked in front of the table. Harry’s mind refused to fathom what he had just heard. He had failed to kill him. He had used the Killing Curse and it didn’t work. What was he supposed to do now?


Voldemort began to raise his wand.


“NO!” Hermione screamed.


Voldemort turned quickly and released something that looked like a fire whip from the end of his wand. It caught Hermione across the shoulder, sending her careening over Luna into the wall. Ron fired a Reductor Curse as he bolted for Hermione’s side, but Voldemort didn’t care. The curse exploded several rows of benches behind him. Voldemort again turned his attention to Harry. He raised his wand, but Harry fired first.


Something in Hermione’s screaming caused Harry to come back to reality. He watched Voldemort raise his wand, and then the right spell popped into his mind. He jumped to his feet, made a mental connection with all his friends, and shouted, “Singulus Substantia!”


Golden light erupted from Harry’s wand, capturing Voldemort and encasing him in a glowing sphere almost as bright as the sun. Harry could feel power flowing through him”but not just that of his friends. He could feel the strength of other wizards and witches coursing through him as well. As the light in the room grew, he could feel the love that his parents had had for him, Sirius’ determination, Dumbledore’s wisdom, Hagrid’s courage and knowledge, Cedric’s loyalty…


More wizards were added to the power Harry was channeling. He didn’t even know them, but they seemed to infuse him with strength all the same. He could distinguish Luna’s dad, and Ginny’s uncles. More and more power flowed through Harry to his wand tip, until it seemed that every person that had ever stood up against Lord Voldemort, or had loved Harry, was present.


The light in the room was now so bright that everyone except Harry had turned away. Harry, however, watched as bright light began to pour from Voldemort’s eyes and mouth. He was writhing, unable to stop the spell that was literally tearing his soul from his body to destroy it. There was a great noise in the room, like a long rumble of thunder, although Fawkes could still be heard singing as well.


After what felt like hours, but was in truth only a few seconds, there was an explosion of light within the sphere. The power running through Harry felt like it was going to blow him apart, but he held the wand steady.


The light in the sphere exploded again and the sphere began to fade. The sphere dissipated and the rumble faded. Voldemort’s body fell and landed upon the dais that held the arch and veil.


Harry staggered, his knees very weak, unable to hold himself up any longer. He watched as once again, dark, menacing arms reached out of the veil and pulled Voldemort’s body through it. Harry felt something flutter past him, but could not figure out what it was, and collapsed, his head coming to rest next to Ginny, who was lying on her stomach in a puddle of her own blood.
++++++


Harry floated in a dark area, without a care in the world. He liked the feeling of weightlessness and wondered why he hadn’t ever done this before. He looked around, but found only an empty void. He didn’t really mind that, however, because this was certainly a comfortable place to be. He enjoyed the sensation for a long while. Then, so small it was almost unnoticeable, a pinprick of light appeared.


Harry was only vaguely curious about it, however. Why should I be worried about some little light while I can enjoy just floating here? he thought. The light, however, was getting bigger and bigger.


Harry’s sense of understanding, and foreboding, seemed to grow with the light. It seemed, as it got bigger, that his mind started to work again. Finally he understood he needed to move towards that light. He focused on it, expecting it to be difficult to move, but was surprised when he was swiftly caught up in the light. Then a sensation of falling overwhelmed him and his feet struck the ground.


He looked around and found himself in the Death Chamber in the Department of Mysteries. He saw Luna standing on the far end, looking confused. She seemed to be listening for something. Then, to Harry’s astonishment, a woman stepped from behind the veil and walked to Luna. She was rather thin and not very tall, with dirty blonde hair. Harry saw her face, and noticed the large, owl-like eyes and the blissful expression on her face.


Luna, having not acknowledged Harry at all, embraced the woman, and Harry could hear them both crying. “Mum, is it really…” Luna choked out. She then buried her head once again in her mother’s arms.


Harry felt like he was intruding, so he turned back to the veil. Looking around, he saw that a single door remained open. He was drawn to the door, but didn’t want to move. The thought of leaving Luna behind was unthinkable.


Harry looked back at Luna and her mother; he found that her father was with her too. They were joking and laughing and, for the first time in a very long while, Luna looked happy. In fact, this was as happy as Harry had ever seen the small blonde girl with eyes so much like her mothers. Tears were leaking from those eyes and running down her cheeks as she stood embraced by her parents, but Harry knew they were tears of sheer joy over their reunion.


As Harry stood watching, a thought began to materialize in his mind. He began to wonder if perhaps his parents were going to be coming soon to meet him. Perhaps he had died trying to destroy Voldemort and now he too would finally get to see and talk to his parents.


Head turning from side to side, Harry began scanning the room looking for any sign of his parents. He stepped towards the veil, heard the voices behind it and leaned closer. They were indistinct and scattered, but he could certainly hear people speaking beyond the veil. An overwhelming urge to step through the veil filled Harry and he climbed upon the dais.


“Harry,” came a dreamy voice from behind him. He turn, startled by the sudden clear word. “Harry, this isn’t your time to pass through the veil,” Luna said. She was smiling through her tears, and her parents stood on either side of her, both beaming at their daughter.


Harry frowned. He knew that just on the other side of the veil his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore and Hagrid all stood to explain everything to him; to tell him how proud they were of him; to tell him they loved him and that he was safe now. He could come home and rest. He didn’t have to be the savior of the world anymore. He could just be a teenager, a normal young man.


Luna’s smile broadened. “I know that you want to see them all again. You will; it just isn’t your time yet. You have a lot left to do.”


Luna’s mother took her eyes off of Luna and looked at him. “Harry, go and play Quidditch, rest; the burdens of the world are no longer on your shoulders.”

Harry turned his gaze to Luna again. “What about you? You’re only sixteen. You have your whole life ahead of you. You want to come back, don’t you?”


Luna’s smile seemed to fade, just slightly. “I’ve done my part. My adventure lies beyond the veil, Harry.”


Without realizing it, he and Luna with her parents had switched places. He was standing on the floor, while they were standing, still arm in arm, in front of the veil. “Go through the door and you will find the rest of your life,” Luna’s father continued. “And thank you for allowing our daughter to help you.”


Harry felt like his insides were being twisted. He had managed to destroy Voldemort, but it had cost Luna her life. His mind wandered back to the battle. Hermione was hurt, Neville was hurt, Ron was all right; GINNY.


Harry’s eyes widened as he realized that the last thing he knew was that Ginny had been lying on the floor bleeding terribly. “Luna,” Harry exclaimed frantically halfway from the stairs to open the door. He again didn’t know how he had got there. “Is Ginny all right?”


Luna turned. “I don’t know, Harry. Tell Neville and the others goodbye for me. Thank them for being so nice to me.” And with that she stepped through the veil, followed by her mother and father.


Harry’s mind began to race. She wasn’t here. If she were dead, she would have been in the room with us.

He was moving through the open door. I would have seen her. She would have been there.


He was floating again. The light coming from the Death Chamber was slowly getting smaller. She can’t be dead. I would know it. I would have felt it through our connection.


Voices were calling out, but he didn’t care what they said. What do I do if she’s gone?


“Harry, Harry, wake up.”


“Come on, mate.”


What do I do without her? Harry opened his eyes.
++++++


A/N: Yet another evil cliff hanger. I would love to say sorry but… I do enjoy them so. I hope you all enjoyed the final defeat of Voldemort. Thanks always to my wonderful prebetas cableguysmom and Kerrbear. And multiple thanks to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC. Thanks ladies I couldn’t do this without you.

Up next, we find out if Ginny survives and other important ends are tied up. Just one more chapter and an epilogue to go. Let me know what you think.
A Toast to our Friends by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe. I would like Andrea (ravensgryff) to moderate this chapter please.
++++++


“Wake up, mate!”


“Harry, oh, please wake up; we can’t lose you…not you too!”


Harry could hear voices, and could tell they were in great distress. He had been listening for a while, unable to conjure the strength to open his eyes. He could tell his breathing was shallow, which was not normal. His body felt like it was encased in lead and he could feel something warm and sticky on his face and down the front of his robes.


After several seconds of trying to open his eyes in response to the pleas of the voices, Harry heard another sound enter the room. It was beautiful music, from a bird, but it was all around him and even seemed to be coming from inside him.


Fawkes, Harry thought, and he felt a new strength building within him.


Harry opened his eyes. Hermione let out a shriek and dissolved into uncontrolled tears. She buried her head in Ron’s shoulder. Ron looked at Harry, tears welling in his eyes as well. “Good to have you back, Harry.”


Harry sat up slowly and made to wipe the sticky substance off his face. He noticed it was blood. It all came back: the battle, the Killing Curse that didn’t work, the spell that finally did work, Luna dead, Ginny seriously injured.


“Ron, where’s Ginny?” Harry asked desperately. “She was right here.” He looked around and did not see her body, but there was blood everywhere.


Ron seemed pale but smiled. “She’s going to be all right, Harry. Fawkes landed beside her and healed her wounds, then grabbed her and disappeared. I think he took her to get checked out.”


Hermione’s sobbing lessened somewhat and she looked at Harry. Her eyes were shining and puffy from crying. “Harry, Luna’s…er…”


“She died,” Harry completed her sentence.


A look of surprise crossed Hermione’s face. “Yeah, how did you know?”


Harry shook his head, unable to figure out what he was feeling. “I’ll tell you later. How is Neville?”


Ron pointed over to the other end of the room where Neville sat, holding Luna gently in his arms. He seemed uninjured, but Harry could see the loss etched upon his face. Ron spoke quietly, “He may have a couple of broken ribs, but I don’t think he’s hurt too badly. I tried””


Ron’s words were cut off by the door slamming open. Instinctively, Harry, Ron and Hermione whipped out their wands but there was no need. A great mane of red hair erupted from the doorway. Ginny dashed across the threshold, followed by all the members of the Order that had been present for the ceremony, except Mr. Weasley.


“HARRY!” Ginny yelled as she fell to her knees and embraced him in a painfully tight hug. “You’re awake! Why didn’t you contact me?!”


Harry felt peace rush through his body. Just being held by Ginny made everything all right for him. She was sobbing into his shoulder and he held her as tightly as she was holding him. “Sorry,” was all that he could get out.


Looking around, while Ginny continued to clutch him tightly, Harry noticed that Fawkes had flown to Neville’s side and was singing quietly to him. Remus and Abe Dumbledore approached as well. Neville looked up, and Harry saw how pale he was and knew that no matter how much they would all miss Luna, Neville had suffered the greatest loss that day.
+++++


Two days later, the attack at the Ministry was all anyone could talk about. Harry and his friends were back at school. They had all been ordered to stay in the Hospital Wing until Madam Pomfrey was completely convinced they were back in perfect health. They all sat in their beds talking.


All except Neville, who appeared to be asleep. Hermione, who still had an orange paste on her shoulder from the Fire Whip Spell that Voldemort had hit her with, spoke in quiet tones. “Harry, you still haven’t explained how you knew about Luna.” Her eyes filled with tears, just as they did every time Luna was mentioned.


Harry had spent a sleepless night trying to figure out how he felt about what he’d seen. He now thought he understood his feelings. “Well, when I was unconscious I sort of saw her.”


Surprise spread across the faces of all his friends and Neville turned over to face them, wide awake. Harry explained what he’d seen in the Death Chamber. He told them about the joy in Luna’s face as she saw her mum and dad again. He explained that she knew that her role in this life was completed and the next great adventure was ahead of her. He also told them what Dumbledore had said about death.


“So Luna said to tell you all thank you for being so nice to her, and she stepped through the veil,” Harry finished.


Neville looked pale, but a small smile was on his face. “So she was okay with it. Dying, I mean. She wasn’t scared or anything?”


“No, I don’t think so. She told me, after Sirius died, that I would see him again. Then I saw her with her parents, and it all sort of makes sense. I think that’s why I just can’t get too upset about it. I know she’s happy. It’s like she’s home now.”


The rest fell into silence as they thought about Harry’s last words, but Harry could feel the tension and sadness ease, especially in Neville. They would all miss Luna, but they would celebrate her life instead of mourning her death.


The morning sun rose as they sat quietly together in the Hospital Wing. The quiet was broken by the arrival of a brown owl swooping through the window. It circled for a few seconds, then dove straight into the water jug sitting beside Hermione’s bed, splashing water everywhere.


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake!” she fumed as she extricated the owl from the jug. She tore the Daily Prophet from the owl’s leg, stuffed money into its pouch and tossed it back into the air. She then grabbed her wand and began drying her sheets.


“So, Ron, how’s your mum doing?” Harry asked. He had not brought up the fact that Percy had died that night in the Ministry. The spell that Voldemort had performed to ensure Percy’s death if he, Voldemort, were defeated, had taken effect as Harry was separating Voldemort’s soul from his body in the Death Chamber.


Ron’s eyes took on a hard look. “She’s been crying a lot, dad said yesterday. Stands to reason I guess but…” his voice trailed off and Harry quickly realized this was not a safe subject yet for him. Ginny, too, seemed to be fighting her emotions.


A gasp from Hermione broke the uncomfortable silence. “Oh, Harry, you aren’t going to believe this.” She turned the Prophet around and showed them all the headline. They all gathered around to read.


Scandal in the Minister’s Office


Two days after the assassination of Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour, the Ministry is in an uproar, and chaos seems to be the order of the day. This situation was not helped by the recent resignation of Dolores Umbridge, former undersecretary to the Minister and former Hogwarts High Inquisitor and Headmistress.


It seems that during the battle at the award ceremony on behalf of Harry Potter, Ms. Umbridge was photographed transforming herself into a toad. There is no record of Ms. Umbridge registering as an Animagus, so her ability to transform into animal form came as quite a surprise to her co-workers.


“I was completely shocked that she was an Animagus,” says former Minister Cornelius Fudge. “I mean, I certainly would never have allowed her to hold such an important office if I had known she was unregistered.”


The resignation comes amid charges of corruption within the Ministry and rumours of medieval punishments used by Ms. Umbridge during her short stint as High Inquisitor and then Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.


Junior assistant in the Department of International Magical Cooperation, Cho Change, said, “I remember she used to make people do lines with a quill that cut into your hand and used your own blood for ink. A friend of mine still has the scars on his hand.”



“A friend, my left eye,” Ginny spat angrily. Everyone else laughed.


“So Umbridge is out of the Ministry for good, huh?” Ron stated. “Serves the foul woman right. I wonder if she’ll get into trouble.”


“Oh yes, being an unregistered Animagus is a serious breach of wizarding law,” Hermione answered, causing the room to break into laughter again, since it was she who had taught them all how to be Animagi in the first place. “Well, I had a good reason for doing it, didn’t I?” Hermione responded huffily.


Ron kissed her on the cheek and smiled widely at her.
+++++


By the morning of the End of Term Feast, the real story of Voldemort’s defeat had circulated around the school. The Prophet had reported that the giant attack and murder of the Minister were truly only diversions so that one of the Death Eaters could get to Voldemort and revive him. But Harry Potter and his friends, now being called the “Ministry Six”, had managed to defeat Voldemort, sending his body through the veil.


Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny walked into the Great Hall for breakfast. All those in the room, which was almost full, turned at once to see the new arrivals. Then they began staring and whispering, which was better than the first time the four of them had come down for dinner their first night out of the Hospital Wing. That evening the students had broken into thunderous applause.


Neville was already seated next to Seamus and Dean, both of whom were talking animatedly. Neville was sitting quietly, acting as if he could not hear them.


“So what are you going to do, Dean?” Seamus asked. “I think I’m going to take the summer off. Just be a lay about for a few weeks, then I’m off to Gringotts. I heard they are really hard up for curse-breakers, so even though I haven’t got Ancient Runes, I think I can get in.”


Dean looked skeptical at this, as well as Hermione as she took a seat next to Ron. Ginny sat next to Neville, with Harry on her other side. She patted Neville on the back and he seemed to brighten up almost immediately.


Harry had noticed that for that the last couple of days, Neville would go through spells of what looked like fits of depression, but as soon as someone began talking with him, he would snap out of it. Harry thought it would be some time before Neville was himself again, but in the last couple of days it had gotten easier for him.


“It’s not really fair,” Ginny began, turning to Harry. “You lot get to go off and start your lives, and I’m stuck here for another year. N.E.W.T.s are going to be dreadful.”


Harry smiled as she pouted. “I don’t think so, Ginny. And you’ll probably be Quidditch captain, so that’s something to look forward to.”


“Are you kidding? Trying to replace two players who were offered positions on the English team? You think that’s going to be easy?” Ginny was no longer pouting, but seemed genuinely mad.


Ron, ears turning slightly red, spoke. “Well, really, Ginny, it’s only one person. Harry wasn’t actually on the team all year, now was he?” Ginny threw her piece of toast at him.


Hermione continued their conversation. “Seamus has a point; what are you both doing? Are you going to try out for England or not?”


Harry and Ron exchanged grins and then nodded. In unison, Ginny and Hermione shrieked with joy and threw their arms around them. After causing a scene for several seconds, both young ladies got control of themselves.


Hermione, eyes bright with tears, was the first to speak. “Oh, Ron, that’s wonderful; I mean, I just couldn’t be prouder of you.” Harry thought Hermione may burst with pride.


The conversation continued about England’s team and their chances of making the first team for several more minutes. Students from other houses began to come over as they found out that Ron and Harry would be playing for England.


“Well if Harry Potter and Ron Weasley are playing for England, I think the Cup is a sure thing!” proclaimed Ernie Macmillan as he walked back to the Hufflepuff table.


Terry Boot inquired to Ginny, “Do you think Ron or Harry could get me tickets?” Harry and Ron were both more than a little embarrassed as two second-year Ravenclaw boys approached them and asked for their autographs.


Eventually, the chaos around them subsided and the post owls arrived. Hermione took her copy of the Daily Prophet and then set it aside without looking at it. “Say, Neville, what are you doing after we leave?”


Neville was holding a small bit of parchment in his hand, looking almost frightened by it. “I don’t really know yet. First I’ll go back to my Gran’s but I don’t really fancy being there long.” He lapsed back into silence, still absorbed in the parchment.


“Neville, what’s that?” Ginny inquired, leaning over to try and read the address.


“It’s from, erm, from the Spore Institute of Herbology.”

Hermione responded with an “ohh” but none of the others knew what the Spore Institute of Herbology was. “Neville, that’s a really prestigious school. Didn’t Professor Sprout go there?” asked Hermione.


Neville blushed. “Yeah she’s the one who told me about it. She said that I could get in, but…” He fell into silence.


“Go on then, open it,” Ron encouraged.


Neville opened the letter. He read it quickly, his eyes getting larger and larger. By the end, his mouth was hanging open and he looked shocked. “I got in. I begin on the first of August as a junior fellow in the College of Herbologists!”


For the second time in that breakfast, a loud cheer erupted in the Great Hall. Neville was inundated with slaps on the back from the boys and hugs from the girls seated at the Gryffindor table.


On that high note, breakfast ended and Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and Neville exited the Great Hall. Neville went down to the greenhouses to find Professor Sprout. The others walked out on the grounds. It was cloudy and windy, but they didn’t care. It was nice to just be out without the weight of the wizarding world hanging over them.


“Hermione, you haven’t told them what you’re doing this summer,” Ron said with a grin.


Hermione went pink around the cheeks. “Well,” she began as Harry and Ginny leaned against their favourite birch tree, “I will be getting ready to teach next year, won’t I?”


Ginny let out a little squeal of delight. “You’re coming back to Hogwarts to teach next year?”


Hermione smiled broadly. “Yes. McGonagall asked me to earlier this year. Of course I couldn’t commit to it until we took care of”well, you know”but now I’m all set. Of course, Ginny, I will expect top marks from you,” Hermione added, putting on her best McGonagall face.


Ginny laughed, but Harry was sure Hermione meant every word of what she said.


They sat in silence for several minutes, watching the clouds roll past. Harry was thinking about all the lives that had been put on hold that were now beginning afresh. He watched as Charlie walked across the ground with Buckbeak the Hippogriff, who had a bulging stomach as if he had eaten something very large all at once.


Harry reflected upon what they had lost, but also what they had gained in the war with Voldemort. He had to smile at everything this small group of misfits had accomplished over the course of the year. He was still contemplating this as Collin Creevey ran up to them. “Ginny, Ron, have you seen this?” He was shaking a copy of the Prophet violently as he approached them.


He handed the paper to Ginny, but they all could see the front page clearly: A moving picture of Mr. Weasley dueling with two wizards at once during the battle at the Ministry, but that was not the surprising part. As they examined the picture more closely, they discovered that none other than Rita Skeeter was being shielded by him as he dueled. They gathered around to read the article.


Our Next Minister?

Special to the
Daily Prophet by reporter Rita Skeeter.

During the night in which You Know Who was killed by the Ministry Six, personal friends of yours truly, another heroic deed was taking place in the Press room of the Ministry of Magic. Ministry official Arthur Weasley was single-handedly protecting, again yours truly, from the attack by the vicious former Death Eaters that had escaped confinement.


This daring man showed the kind of courage and fortitude that has been sorely lacking in the Ministry during the last several years, leaving this reporter to wonder: is it time to have a real man at the top in the Ministry of Magic?


“Blimey,” Ron whispered, “You don’t think dad would want this?” he asked no one in particular.


Ginny, whose eyes were so wide with shock she looked distinctly like Professor Trelawney, replied, “Surely not. Dad always wanted to just work with Muggles. He didn’t even want the promotion he got, except that he knew it was a good place to fight Voldemort.”


“Dad isn’t interested,” said Charlie flatly as he approached. “I talked to him this morning, popped in for breakfast before coming here this morning.” Fang bounded over to Harry and flopped down on the ground beside him, putting his head in Harry’s lap and proceeding to drool all over his robes. Ginny absentmindedly scratched Fang’s ear.


“Charlie, how’s Buckbeak?” Hermione asked.


Charlie stood there for a moment, a look of confusion marking his face. “Who? Oh yeah, you mean Witherwings. I forgot you lot know him by something different,” he finally replied, comprehension dawning on his face. “He’s doing well. Still not eating, but I guess he will when he’s hungry again. Have a good morning, you lot. Come on, Fang!”


Fang sprang to his feet and lumbered after Charlie towards the pumpkin patch. “I wonder why Buckbeak isn’t hungry,” Ginny mused aloud. “He always ate like mad when he was at Headquarters.”


Harry was feeling a little squeamish. He knew why the Hippogriff had suddenly gone off food. He had seen the beast snatch up a ferret that had only moments before been Draco Malfoy. When he told his friends this, the reaction was mixed.


“No more than he deserved,” Ron spat, but he looked a bit green.


“Does anyone deserve to be eaten by a…a Hippogriff?” Hermione added.


Ginny looked rather angry. “He did, Hermione!”


Harry sat there quietly for a moment, wondering if Malfoy had gotten what he deserved. He could not help but remember the insane look of delight on Malfoy’s face when he killed the old defenseless man in the Ministry, but he also remembered the boy who had been unwilling to kill Dumbledore.


He wondered if somehow, if Malfoy could have been removed from the influence of his father and Voldemort, then perhaps he could have been redeemed. “We’ll never know now,” and there was a small pang of regret.
++++++


That evening they walked down together to the Great Hall for the End of Term Feast. Harry was leading the way, holding Ginny’s hand. As they reached the top of the marble staircase, they saw a group of Hufflepuffs making their way up from their basement common room. Harry and the others reached the bottom just ahead of them.


“I reckon McGonagall’s going to say something about the fight at the Ministry tonight before we go,” Ernie Macmillan stated, smiling broadly at Harry and the others.


Hannah Abbot responded, “Good”they did something incredible and they should be honored for it. I think they all deserve the Order of Merlin, first class for fighting You Know Who like that.”


Harry noticed Ginny roll her eyes. Still can’t say his stupid name, can they!? she thought to Harry. He smiled and began thinking about how much fun they were going to have this summer before he and Ron had to report to training camp. He was barely listening to the conversation behind him.


“I wouldn’t say that, Hannah,” Zacharias Smith stated. “I mean, sure Potter deserves one and maybe Granger and the Weasleys, but what could Longbottom have done, and old Loony, what could she have done? Maybe attack with a””


Whatever creature Smith was going to say, no one would ever know. Before he could finish his sentence, Ginny had wrenched her hand out of Harry’s. He turned and was very surprised to see Zacharias Smith pinned against a stone wall. Neville and Ron had actually lifted him off the ground several inches, both of them growling menacingly. Ginny and Hermione had their wands drawn, pointed at his face.


“Don’t call her that,” Hermione said in the same dangerously calm voice she had used in front of the Dursleys eleven months ago.

“Ever again!” Neville growled.


“Move along now, everyone,” Professor Flitwick squeaked from the doorway to the Great Hall. “No sense in getting detention on the last night of term now, is there?” They released Smith from their grasp. He was panting and very pale, but tried to save face by approaching Flitwick. “Thank you, Professor. I don’t know what they would have done if you hadn’t come along and threatened them with detention.”


The tiny professor looked up, glowering at the much taller student. “Oh, don’t thank me, Mr. Smith; it was you who would have been in detention. You will not insult someone from my house in my presence again”especially not someone who has brought more honor to that house than anyone I can remember. Is that clear?”


Harry had never seen Professor Flitwick so angry” not the time Seamus blew up their feather in first year, or the time that Neville had banished him across the room in fifth year, or even the time Seamus got detention for spraying water all over the Charms classroom.


Smith lost all his arrogance and said, “Yes, Professor,” sulkily and walked, alone, to his table. Harry smiled widely at the little professor, who in turn smiled back and gave him a little pat on the arm.


The feast that evening was incredible. After everyone was finished, Professor McGonagall rose and stood in front of her seat. It was the first time that year that she had sat in the headmaster chair. She had intentionally left it unoccupied for a year, out of respect for Professor Dumbledore. “Students, another year as been completed and there are few things that I must announce. First, I would like all of us to raise a glass to Miss Luna Lovegood, who was killed attempting to help protect her friends, and all of us, from the destruction of all we hold dear.”


Almost as one, those in the Great Hall stood, even most of the Slytherins, and raised their glasses. Harry looked around at the others, and as McGonagall said loudly, “To Luna Lovegood,” Harry, Ron, Neville, Ginny and Hermione, all with shining eyes, said quietly, “To our friend.”


The room broke into applause for Luna. Harry wondered if, had she been there to experience this, Luna would have cared, or even noticed. She had never been one to put much store in what others thought. He smiled as the image of her talking about the Rotfang Conspiracy the night of Slughorn’s party flashed into his mind.


McGonagall continued, “Next I would like to congratulate a seventh year who has brought great honor to this school.”


Harry looked up quickly, startled. He had hoped that she wouldn’t make a big deal about his battle with Voldemort. The Prophet was already doing that enough for anyone. He looked around at the others, and all were beaming at him, but he felt like he may be a little sick.


“It has recently come to my attention that one of our number has been accepted into one of the most prestigious institutes in all the world.”


Harry was very confused for a moment, then realized that she wasn’t talking about him. She was speaking of Neville.


“Neville Longbottom, if you would please stand?” McGonagall requested. Neville rose, turning every bit as red as Ron had ever managed. “Neville, congratulations upon entering the Spore Institute of Herbology. Make us proud!” A very unMcGonagall-like grin crossed her face.


Neville had only once looked more surprised than he did at this moment. It had been their first year, when the House Cup was awarded to Gryffindor on the basis of the ten points he had won.


Again applause broke out around the table, but none applauded harder than Harry and the others.


“Finally, I would like to announce that beginning next year, on the twentieth of July, Hogwarts will be playing host to the English National Quidditch team as they prepare for the upcoming World Cup.”


All the students stood up and cheered at this announcement, but none more than Ginny, who was not going to be left alone for her final year. Or more importantly, she was not going to be left without Harry for her final year.
++++++


The next day, Harry decided to ride the train back to London with the others, although he was going out of his way. He planned on going back to Godric’s Hollow and had asked Dobby to take his trunk, Hedwig, and Fawkes back there for him. Dobby had enthusiastically agreed, but before he could move, Fawkes had vanished in a great ball of fire. Dobby gathered the rest of his belongings and with a loud Crack was gone.


Remus and Tonks, who had snuck off a couple of days after the final battle to be married, would be staying there as well, and he hoped that they could help him get some furniture for his parents’ old house. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to stay there, but it would at least be ready if he ever did.


Hermione was going to spend some time with her parents over the summer, and Ron was planning on going to visit them a few times as well. Hermione insisted that Ginny, who was still too young to Apparate, come too so they could make wedding plans. Ron and Hermione set a date for the tenth of Jun, 2000.


“At least you’ll always know how many years you’ve been married,” Harry had joked with Ron when they told him on the train.


Neville was headed back to his Gran’s but promised to see them all before he left for the Institute.


Harry figured he was going to be putting in a lot of time on the flying motorcycle before the end of the summer.


They reached King’s Cross station, and for the last time, Harry believed, he exited the red Hogwarts Express. All the Weasleys were there to greet them, as well as Remus and Tonks, who had not gone on a honeymoon yet. Harry greeted everyone enthusiastically but then separated himself from the crowd and watched.


Remus noticed him standing off to the side and walked over. “All right there, Harry?”


“Yeah,” Harry replied, a smile spreading across his face. “I was just thinking about the prophecy. ‘Neither can live while the other survives.’ I just think it’s a bit odd. It all seems to be over now.” His smile broke ever so slightly.


“But it’s not over, Harry. Now is the time for you to live. Voldemort’s gone, and you have earned that.” Lupin wrapped his arm around Harry and pulled him back to the group. They made their way out of the station towards a group of Ministry cars.


“Shacklebolt arranged these for us,” Arthur said as the whole group was herded across the street.


Harry turned to Ginny, to say good bye, but she met him with a long, passionate kiss. Harry could hear her brothers beginning to make angry noises behind him.


Ginny broke the kiss and began to make an angry response, but Harry grabbed her face and turned her head to meet his eyes. “You’re worth it,” he whispered with a soft smile.


She smiled back. “You’re worth it too.”


They kissed again.
+++++


A/N: And now Harry can get on with the living his life and enjoying himself. I hope you all enjoyed the chapter. For those that were concerned, I could never kill Ginny. Thanks go out to my pre-betas, Cableguymom and Kerrbear. Thanks also to my wonderful betas Ginny Guerra who started working with me about half way through, and JenC who has been diligently correcting me from the very beginning. If you enjoyed this story those four ladies deserve a lot of the credit.

Up next, a happy epilogue as we see what is happening 20 years or so in the future.

Chocolate Frogs by ckwright51
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe!

+++++

A light breeze passed over King’s Cross Station as an eleven-year-old boy, pushing a battered secondhand trunk, made his way towards the entrance. He was short for his age, skinny, with blond hair and a square jaw. However, none of these traits were what people noticed about this young man. It was his eyes that drew attention. They were brilliantly green, and carried in them a look of intelligence and compassion as clearly as if the words were written there.


He looked at his ticket again. September first, 2020, platform nine and three-quarters.


Little Vincent Dursley walked through the entrance to the station. Vincent was the oldest son of Dudley Dursley, who worked for his father selling drills. His mother, Millicent, had shocked her nonmagical husband on their wedding night by declaring herself to be a witch. Vincent was named for one of her old school chums that he had never met and knew nothing about.


After scanning the platform numbers, Vincent found the barrier between nine and ten. He had been told by his mother how to get onto the platform, so, pushing his trunk ahead of him, and clutching his ticket in his hand, he ran to the barrier. To his relief, he passed right through it, coming out beside a massive red steam engine.


A pang of sadness passed over him as he watched the happy families saying their goodbyes. He had never known why his mother seemed to merely tolerate him, and his father was almost afraid to touch him. He had never felt completely at home with his family. His younger brother, who was eight, had shown signs of magic too, but was always in trouble at school and seemed to enjoy bullying everyone he saw, and yet his parents seemed to love him so much. In fact, they had dropped Vincent off at the station on the way to take Dudley Jr to an amusement park that morning.


He sighed and began walking to the train. He noticed two identical red-haired men waving at a girl as she got on the train. They looked at him, smiled and then turned to go. Vincent followed the girl onto the train. She didn’t seem any older than he was.


He walked towards the back of the train, noticing for the first time that many of the students had animals with them, owls and cats mostly. He found an empty compartment towards the end of the train, put his trunk on the rack and sat down. He was feeling very lonely.


Just outside the window, he thought, just for a second, that someone was pointing at him. He turned, but saw only an older man talking quietly with a lady, with spiky pink hair, who seemed a good deal younger than he. They were holding hands. He wondered what his Granny Petunia would say to that hair. This thought made him smile briefly, but he again began wondering why he was so disliked in own family.


The train started to move and the door slid open; the girl he had followed into the train had opened it. She was taller than Vincent and had dirty blonde hair. “May I sit here? My cousins don’t want me with them,” she said, a frown forming on her face.


Vincent smiled warmly at her. “Oh, yes.”


She sat down across from him. “I’m Molly, by the way. Molly Weasley.”


“Vincent,” he said, blushing slightly, “Vincent Dursley. This is my first year at Hogwarts.”


“Mine too. I have several cousins there and I just couldn’t wait to come!” Molly exclaimed. “What about you, do you have any family at Hogwarts?”


“I don’t think so. My mum mentioned something about a second cousin once, but she didn’t ever mention it again.” Vincent had learned early on in life, not to ask questions. “Was that your dad with you at the station?”


“Well, one of them was. My dad and uncle are twins. My mum couldn’t be here, so Uncle Fred said he would come along and make sure dad didn’t get lost.”


Vincent, although he had a witch for a mother, had never known much about the magical world, and he had many questions. “So, what does your dad do?”


“Oh, he and Uncle Fred own a joke company: Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes International,” she said. Vincent did not get the impression she was bragging, but simply explaining the truth. “They own joke shops in London, Paris, Hogsmeade, and even in New York City.”


“Wow, you must be loaded!” Vincent exclaimed before he could stop himself.


Molly blushed slightly. “Well, I think we have a lot of money but dad doesn’t let us use much of it. It’s always going into our savings. ‘Have to think about the future,’ dad is always saying.”


“Still, it must be nice”you know, not having to worry about money and stuff,” Vincent responded.


Just as Molly was about to reply, the most beautiful girl Vincent had ever seen entered the compartment. She had flowing blonde hair that almost shimmered as she came in. She wore a red and gold “P” on her chest. “Molly, don’t let William get to you. Come back and sit with us,” the blonde said kindly, sitting beside Molly.


Molly scowled at her. “He doesn’t want his stupid cousin sitting in his compartment. He said so, so I am going to just stay here, thank you. Besides, Vincent and I are having a lovely conversation, so tell your brother he can just go and sit on a tack.”


Vincent was a little startled, in part by being brought into the conversation, but also because the beautiful girl had smiled at him. “Vincent, is it?”


He opened his mouth to respond, but nothing came out. Molly giggled. The older girl got up to leave, smiling pleasantly. “At least take some of these. William sent them as a peace offering.”


“Humph,” was Molly’s only response.


“Well, nice to meet you, Vincent. If you need anything, let me know.” She turned and left the compartment. Vincent suddenly had an urge to follow her, although he didn’t know why.


“Here, take one,” Molly stated, handing him a box.


Vincent seemed to come out of a daze as he took the box and opened it. A small Chocolate Frog wiggled around in the box. “Eww, what is it?”


“It’s a Chocolate Frog, silly. You’ve never had one?”


“No, is it a real frog?” muttered Vincent, looking warily at it.


Molly suppressed a giggle. “Of course not; you eat it.” With that, she popped one into her mouth, smiling as she chewed. She swallowed the frog and pulled out the card. “So you don’t know about the cards?” She held up the card in front of her.


Vincent watched as a man with bright blue eyes and a long flowing beard winked at him from behind half-moon spectacles. “No, what are they supposed to be?” He was not surprised by the moving picture, as he had seen some of his mother’s do that on occasion.


“Well, you collect them, of course,” Molly replied, tossing him the card. “That one is Albus Dumbledore. He was Headmaster at Hogwarts back when my dad and all my aunts and uncles went there. One of my uncles actually saw him die.”


Vincent was adequately impressed with this information and he looked at the card. He then grabbed the card from the box his frog had jumped out of. The frog now lay on the seat beside him. “This is Herm… Hermy…Hermio…”


“Oh, you got Aunt Hermione!” Molly squealed with excitement. “I heard they were putting her on one; read the back.”


Vincent looked at the witch smiling warmly back at him. She had bushy brown hair, with the lightest touches of grey. He turned the card over in his hands.



Hermione Weasley
Currently Deputy Headmistress and Transfiguration Professor of Hogwarts


Considered by many to be the brightest witch of her age, Hermione Weasley is particularly famous for her efforts in helping to defeat the Dark Wizard Voldemort, for which she received the Order of Merlin, Second Class. She was also pivotal in passing legislation extending new rights, pay and vacation time for house elves (if they request it), broader rights for werewolves, and for being the youngest full-time Hogwarts professor in history. She is also the head of the Wizengamot, and has four children.



“Wow, she’s your aunt?” Vincent said in a slightly awed voice.


Molly beamed at him as she opened another box. Vincent craned his neck, trying to see who was on the card. Molly noticed and held it up for him to see. A man with a round face, kind eyes and black hair smiled back at him. Molly turned the card and began to read.



Neville Longbottom
Currently senior research fellow at the French Institute of Herbology



A world renowned Herbologist, Neville Longbottom is well-known for his successful crossbreeding of Mandrakes with Screechsnap plant. The “Moon Mandrake” (Luna Mandragora) is a powerful restorative plant that, when browed properly, can reverse the effects of spell damage on the mind. It was used to restore celebrated author Gilderoy Lockhart to full health. He received the Order of Merlin, Second Class for his efforts in the defeat of the Dark Wizard Voldemort.



“My dad told me about him. He went to school with dad, a couple years behind him. It was sad about the plant; he worked on it for his parents, but they both died before he was successful. I heard he is thinking about coming and teaching at Hogwarts.”


Vincent sat up, reaching for another box. “Speaking of Hogwarts, is it true that there is a swamp that covers the second floor?”


Molly giggled. “No, where did you hear that?”


Vincent turned pink. “Oh, I heard someone mentioning it before I got on the train.” He began to open another box.


“My dad told me,” Molly responded as she swallowed another frog, “that there is a small patch of swamp under a window, and that a couple of brilliant students put it there during their school days. They didn’t say who.”


Vincent popped another frog into his mouth and drew out the card underneath. A red-haired wizard smiled and waved back at him. He was standing further back on the card than either of the first two, and Vincent could tell that he was tall, with a broad chest. He could also see a world of freckles on the wizard’s face. He flipped the card over and began to read.



Ronald Weasley
Currently head of the Auror office


Mostly known as the Keeper for England’s two Quidditch World Cup victories in 2002 and 2006, being named the Most Outstanding Player during the 2006 tournament. Ronald Weasley also received the Order of Merlin, Second Class for his efforts in the defeat of the Dark Wizard Voldemort. He was promoted to Head of the Auror office after his successful capture of notorious mass murderer Vincent Crabbe in 2012. He has also won Witch Weekly’s Most-Charming-Smile Award six years in a row from 2004 to 2010.



“He’s my uncle,” Molly stated simply.


Vincent goggled at her. “How many famous aunts and uncles do you have?”


“A fair few,” answered a boy with curly red hair, and rather large front teeth. He looked a couple of years older than Vincent. “Afternoon, Molly, I see you got my dad’s card. Who’s your friend?”


“Hi, James,” Molly answered with a wide smile. “This is Vincent. It’s his first year at Hogwarts too.”


James reached out and grasped Vincent’s hand. “Welcome to Hogwarts, Vincent. My mum teaches Transfiguration, so you’d better work hard.”


“That must be nice for you; does she give you an easier time?” Vincent asked, pulling another Chocolate Frog from the box.”


James nearly fell over laughing, and Vincent wasn’t sure what he had said. James pulled himself up and spoke. “Are you kidding? She is the worst with me. I mean, she’s tough on everyone, but I never get a rest. She’s head of my house too”Gryffindor. Best house in the school.” The pride James had in his house was evident.


Molly pulled out another card as James sat down. She looked quizzically at the picture on the front; it was of a very young witch with dirty blonde hair, protuberant eyes, and radish earrings. No older than her blond cousin, actually. “Why is she on a card? She looks so young.”


Vincent looked at the card. “I don’t know, what’s the back say?”


Molly flipped the card and began to read:



Luna Lovegood
Currently Deceased



Molly looked up. “That’s so sad.”


“Keep reading,” muttered Vincent.


One of the youngest witches ever to receive an Order of Merlin, Second Class, for her efforts in the defeat of the Dark Wizard Voldemort, she was killed during the final confrontation with him in the Death Chamber of the Department of Mysteries. She received the award posthumously. She was sixteen at the time of her death.


“I think I’ve heard of her. Mum and dad have talked about her,” James commented. “I think she was in Aunt Ginny’s class. Speaking of which,” he pulled out a card with a beautiful brown-eyed woman smiling serenely out at him, on it. “Look, it’s Auntie Ginny’s card.”


Vincent gaped, but Molly began looking suspicious. “Did William send these so that we could see all these cards?”


James looked only slightly abashed. “Well, he felt bad, so he thought it might be nice for you to see this batch of cards. Grandma and Granddad gave them to him last night at dinner. We got a whole set.”


Molly grinned. “So what does it say about Aunt Ginny?”


James looked at the back of the card.



Ginevra Potter



“Oh, they used her full first name, she’ll hate that,” Molly said, frowning slightly. Vincent shushed her.



Currently chief Potions Master and Researcher of St. Mungo’s


Mostly known for the development of the Aconite Werewolf Suppression Draught, a potion that, when taken monthly, disrupts the transformation process for werewolves, allowing them to lead normal lives. Received the Order of Merlin, Second Class for her efforts in defeating the Dark Wizard Voldemort. She is the mother of two.



Vincent was awestruck that the little blonde girl who had asked to sit with him was related to all these famous wizards and witches. His face must have given away his feelings.


“Oh, don’t make too much of all this, Vincent. That Voldemort stuff was ages ago. Mum and dad don’t even talk about it. Well, you two had better get your robes on, I suspect we’ll be there soon.” James stood up and left the cabin.


Vincent began to get up, but Molly grabbed his wrist. “Hold on, there are still a couple left. We won’t be there for a while yet, I think. Here.” She handed him a box.


Vincent opened it quickly, feeling a bit of time pressure. He gobbled down the squirming frog and pulled out the card. He almost choked as he saw his eyes staring back at him from the card. They were the same shape, size and brilliant green colour. The face belonged to a middle-aged wizard with very untidy hair flecked by specks of grey, wearing round wire glasses, and with a lighting bolt scar on his forehead.


“Blimey,” Vincent whispered. Molly looked up. “Who’s this bloke?”


Molly looked at the picture and smiled. “Oh, that’s Uncle Harry, he’s …” she looked shocked from the picture to Vincent and back again. “You’re Vincent Dursley.”


“Well, yes,” Vincent responded, surprised, since he had been sitting with her all afternoon, that she had just realized he was who he had said he was. He flipped the card over and began to read aloud:



Harry Potter
Currently Headmaster of Hogwarts


Widely considered the greatest wizard of the age, Harry Potter is most well-known for his defeat of the Dark Lord Voldemort in 1998, for which he received the Order of Merlin, First Class. Amongst his many accomplishments are his victories as Seeker, in the 2002 and 2006 Quidditch World Cups, being named Most Outstanding Player in 2002, his work alongside Ron Weasley in the capture of notorious mass murderer Vincent Crabbe and his victory in the Tri-Wizard Tournament in 1995. He spent several years as Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and, upon the retirement of Headmistress Minerva McGonagall, has been named Headmaster of Hogwarts”the youngest in the history of the school.



Vincent turned the card back over. The wizard still stared kindly at him, although he seemed just a little embarrassed to be there. Looking up, Vincent saw Molly gazing intently at him. “What?”


“You’re related to some pretty famous wizards too,” Molly explained.


“No I’m not, it’s just mum.”


“Vincent, your dad and Uncle Harry are first cousins. Didn’t your mum and dad ever tell you?” Molly inquired, exasperation spreading across her face.


“Well, no, not really.” Vincent was at a loss. He had never known about his extended family. “That means I’m sort of related to all those others that you’re related to and”I’m sort of related to you.” His eyes widened. This was the first time in his life that he thought he may have family who liked him.


Molly smiled. “Yeah, I suppose you are.” She began to giggle as she pulled out one last card. “Look at this. I’ve never seen a card like this one before.” She held the card up for Vincent to see, but instead of having one person on it, there were six people standing at the top of a staircase. They all looked to be in their teens. They smiled at each other and then at Vincent. The tallest, a boy with red hair, waved jovially.


“What’s on the back?” Vincent asked breathlessly.


Molly turned the card and read:



The Ministry Six
Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood.


This is the only known picture of the famous Ministry Six together. It was taken just hours before their confrontation with the Dark Wizard Voldemort.



Vincent stared at the picture, transfixed for some reason. The thought that these teenagers had had to face a dark wizard, that they had defeated someone dangerous enough to have earned them some big award was quite surprising, and a little unnerving.


The train lurched. Vincent pocketed the card and he and Molly sprang up quickly to pull down their robes. When the train finally stopped, they grabbed their trunks, Vincent helping Molly with hers, and joined the queue of students working their way off the train.


Once outside, they heard a loud booming voice shouting, “First years! This way, please. All first years.”


Molly grabbed Vincent by the hand and dragged him and his trunk towards the voice. Finally, they saw, along with gaggle of scared looking first years, yet another red-haired man.


“Uncle Charlie!” shouted Molly, pulling Vincent along behind her.


Charlie was holding a lantern and turned quickly. “Mollywobbles,” he said with a broad grin. He reached down and gave her a hug.


“Don’t call me that,” Molly said, looking scandalized. “I’m too old for that.”


Charlie smiled even more broadly. Then he caught sight of Molly holding Vincent’s hand and raised his eyebrows. “Something we should know about, Molly?”


Molly and Vincent looked at each other, then at their hands, blushed and took a giant step away from each other. Charlie grinned all the more and began surveying the group of first years.


Molly, still scarlet, grabbed his arm. “Uncle Charlie, this is Vincent Dursley.”


Charlie looked down at him. “So it is. Welcome, Vincent, it’s nice to have you at Hogwarts.”


“Thank you, sir.”


“Uncle Charlie teaches Care of Magical Creatures. We won’t have that until our third year, but I can’t wait. He knows all the animals and creatures in the Forbidden Forest,” Molly explained as they got into their boat, along with a mousy-haired boy who was smiling a little too enthusiastically at everyone and a small brunette who looked like she would rather be anywhere but there.


The boy introduced himself. “I’m Dennis Creevey,” he announced and shook Vincent’s hand so furiously that the boat almost tipped. “This is Katie Wood. She doesn’t like boats,” said Dennis, pointing to the girl next to him.


Molly and Dennis talked excitedly, and Katie looked like she would soon be sick. Vincent pulled out the picture of the Ministry Six again. He didn’t know why that photo had such a profound effect on him. It almost felt like the people in the photo were his true family, and the people he had grown up with were the strangers. He sat there and gazed at it. He vaguely heard Dennis mention that his father had taken the picture Vincent was looking at. He watched as the figures moved around each other, all of them smiling and happy.


Then he heard distinctly in his head, from a voice that was not his own, Welcome home, Vincent.
+++++


Across the lake, another pair of brilliantly green eyes was looking at the moving picture of the Ministry Six”the original one. He was standing behind his desk in the Headmaster’s office, getting ready for his first ever Welcome Feast as Headmaster. He was extremely nervous and excited at the same time.


There was a gentle song floating in the room, coming from a red and gold bird sitting on a gold stand. Harry looked up from the picture as Ginny walked into the office. “Hey, Ginny.” He smiled.


Ginny had entered with a six-year-old boy in tow, who looked very grumpy indeed. “Your son has been flying with Ron again.”


Harry looked down and noticed that the boy looked very windblown. “Uncle Ron’s fun,” said the boy, implying that his mother was the opposite of fun.


Harry allowed a slight grin, but quickly schooled his face at a glare from Ginny. “Ronnie, you aren’t to go flying, even if Uncle Ron takes you. You just aren’t old enough.”


Ronnie glowered at his father, causing him to smirk all the more. Ginny looked down at her son as the flame in the fireplace flared.


“Grandma!” shrieked Ronnie and raced at Molly. He wrapped his arms around her and she gently lifted him in the air.


“Hi, Mum,” Ginny said, going over and kissing her mother. “I’ll be along in few minutes.”


Molly smiled, still holding the boy, whose arms were wrapped tightly around her neck. “Take your time, Ginny dear. Janey is sleeping on your father’s chest again, so they won’t be awake for hours. Harry, dear, how are you? Don’t be nervous about tonight; I’m sure you’ll do fine.”


“Thanks, erm…Mum,” he blushed slightly as he got up.


Molly walked back to the fireplace. “Harry, it’s been seventeen years, you would think that you would have gotten used to calling me that,” she stated in mock annoyance.


Harry smiled again as she and Ronnie left to back to the Burrow, where Harry’s daughter and father-in-law were sleeping quietly. Harry walked around and stood in front of the mirror, trying to straighten his hair.


“It’s never going to work,” Ginny said, coming up behind him and wrapping her arms lovingly around his chest.


Harry breathed in and smelled the fresh-cut flower scent he had always loved so much. There was a knock on the door. It opened without a word from Harry.


“Harry, the students are here,” Hermione said as she stepped inside. “Charlie and the boats will be here any minute now.


“I’ll be down in a just a minute. Oh, and tell Ron that Ginny would like a word with him while they have dinner at the Burrow,” Harry replied, grinning at Ginny.


Hermione began to scowl. “He took Ronnie flying again, didn’t he?” She then took the Sorting Hat off the shelf and stormed out of the office.


Harry stood there fidgeting with his robes, tying to make them look right. Ginny grinned as she came around in front of him. “Ron’s not going to like you for that. Hermione’s twice as bad about it as I am.”


Harry winked at his wife and then kissed her on the forehead. She stepped aside and handed him his hat. “Why do you want that mirror in your office, Harry?”


“I like to know what I want out of life. The mirror makes the decision for me. It is a lot less confusing that way.” A smile showed that he really didn’t mean what he’d said. He took the hat and put it on.


Ginny came back over and kissed him. “So, what do you see now?”


He leaned down and whispered into her ear conspiratorially, “Me, holding a nice pair of woollen socks.” She punched him in the arm and they both laughed.


“I’ll make sure to let Dobby know. He’ll love to get them for you.” Ginny grinned back at him and disappeared through the grate.


Harry turned back to the Mirror of Erised. The Mirror had been in his possession since right after Voldemort was destroyed. A note attached had encouraged him to enjoy simpler dreams, but to remember to live as well.


Over the years he had seen many things in that mirror. He had seen himself holding the Quidditch World Cup the night before they defeated Bulgaria in the final. There had been the nine months during both of Ginny’s pregnancies when he saw himself and Ginny with a healthy baby in their arms. He had seen him and Ron completing Auror training, and Hermione having recovered after a very difficult delivery of her and Ron’s third child, Fred. He had even caught a glimpse of Neville’s parents healthy again, when Neville was close to developing the Moon Mandrake.


Over the years, the image had changed often and so, tonight, he looked into the mirror to see what he would find. There, standing before him was a tall wizard, with messy hair, in dark green robes, the office behind him. Dumbledore’s words about the mirror came, unbidden, into his mind.


“The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is.”


And that was all Harry saw. Just himself, the boy with the scar.
++++++


A/N: Well there it is ladies and gentlemen, my version of book 7. I hope this story was as much fun for you to read as it was for me to write and. Thanks to all who took the time to read this story. Many thanks to the faithful reviewers that kept encouraging me along, and finally, major thanks to my writing team, cableguysmom, kerrbear, Ginny Guerra, JenC, and Ravensgryff. See how many people it took to make this story readable for you all. THANKS LADIES. Take Care!