Dear Ron ... by Neli P
Summary: Dealing with girls had never been Ron Weasley's 'cup of tea'. So, he will seek and find some advices from his most reliable sources: his brothers (!) to solve his personal riddle, as known as 'Hermione Granger'.
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 8929 Read: 20862 Published: 12/10/04 Updated: 01/21/05

1. From Charlie. by Neli P

2. From Bill. by Neli P

3. From Percy. by Neli P

4. From Fred and George. by Neli P

5. From Ginny. by Neli P

6. Finale: Response from Hermione. by Neli P

From Charlie. by Neli P
- Author's Note: I love the Weasleys, and they belong to JKR! The following lines are not intended to be “Female Psychology 101”, or true, or false. I just want to share with you what I guess “they” 'd think about the matter. Please read and take a little time to Review ! Thanks a lot for all your comments :-) !! -


*********

It was 2:00AM, and Ron Weasley lay, wide awake, staring blankly at the dark ceiling of his room.


His day had, however, started quite pleasantly. He had been emerging from a good night sleep filled with glorious Quidditch games, when Hermione’s owl dropped her letter on his fuming bowl of porridge: She just came back from Venice, was still waiting impatiently for her OWLs results, and asked if she could spend the last month of vacation with the Weasleys. Hermione knew she was more than welcome at the Burrow! But, as far as Ron was concerned, August looked years away. Even though he would never admit it to himself, he missed her so much he could fly the old Ford Anglia over her house and pick her up right away.


And then, Ron sighed in frustration, all his problems would reappear on the spot! He and Hermione would start arguing again over silly things, making them both miserable afterwards. Why? He kept wondering. Maybe he had missed a point or two in his relationship with Hermione? But how to figure it out without looking foolish? And Ron hated ‘looking foolish’ even more than he loathed spiders. If only he could ask someone wiser and trustworthy about those matters! As he turned once more in his bed, his eyes fell on a tiny figure of the Welsh Green dragon, his 9th birthday gift from Charlie.


Charlie! The Dragon Chaser! A glare of hope flashed in Ron’s mind. Of course, he could ask Charlie! His brother tackled dragons for a living ... he would certainly know how to deal with girls, wouldn’t he?


Ron immediately jumped from his bed to his desk, reaching for quill and parchment, and began writing:


“Dear Charlie,

Too bad you can’t come home this summer.

Are you well? Is Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback giving you a hard time? It reminds me to send word from Hagrid, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher: he is planning a lesson on dragons for 6th grade students (it means us!). It would be awesome to have you as a speaker for the occasion! Think about that and let us know, will you?

Look, I have a complicated matter I can’t discuss with Dad, and even less with Fred or George. So I reckon you don’t mind giving me your opinion (!): I have a classmate at Hogwarts who puzzled me for some time now. She (yeah! You might have guessed, it is a girl ! ) is very special and quite a character, I can tell you! No matter how hard I tried to be nice, all I said or did came out wrong, and we ended up nagging at each other. This is getting annoying! Blimey, I am 16! How could I have guessed mad things girls expected from us, boys? What can I do to make the whole situation better?

I know you are busy, but I would appreciate an answer as soon as you can! Thanks a lot, and, please, don’t mention this to anyone, all right?
Take care,

Ron”


Ron read his letter carefully several times, and decided it sounded fine. As always, Pigwidgeon took on the delivery task with great enthusiasm. The tiny owl flew away and vanished on the horizon, leaving Ron standing at his window, still struggling with his thoughts.


Surprisingly, Pig came back 2 days later with Charlie’s reply. Ron unrolled eagerly his letter, which parchment was still damp with the Romanian mountain’s mist.


“Dear Ron,

First, congratulations for winning the Quidditch Cup! I heard you did a fine job as the new Griffindor Keeper, and young Ginny made quite an impression stepping in for Harry . I can’t wait to test your new blocking techniques! So much talent in our family! Needless to say, I am immensely proud of you all!


Norbert is fine, growing stronger and scarier everyday! Being a speaker at Hogwarts sounds indeed very appealing! If timing is good, maybe I will stop by Hogwarts on my way to the Highlands. I’ll let you know, of course!


Now, about your question, I wish you had asked me about the Hungarian Horntail! But, I’ll do my best and here is what I can think of:


Girls are the most unpredictable creatures on earth! Each of them is unique, thinking, acting on her own mind, and that precisely what confuses us, boys! In spite of their fragile appearance, most of them are strong and independent. They certainly own a high capacity to defend themselves, however I think they tend to reach a harmonious existence with their loved ones.


Therefore, I suggest you stop arguing with Hermione (I reckon she is 'the 'Girl you mentioned). Quarrelling might appear fun at first, but it will end up poisoning your relationship. From now on, try to pay attention to her, observe what she likes or dislikes. Be there for her, until she realizes you … well … belong to her world! I admit this can take some time. But you still have the next two years to achieve that, haven’t you ?


Good luck, then! And keep training Quidditch during summer, will you?

Your bother,

Charlie”


Ron tossed the letter, feeling more confused than ever. How did Charlie recognize Hermione between his lines, he asked himself, highly bothered. His brother also recommended patience and observation. Fine! But it could take years for him, Ron, to keep up at Hermione’s level. To be honest, he had to admit she had always been (slightly!) ahead of him on almost everything, not only homework. And, with Vicky Krum sticking around like an old jinx, Ron had to time to waste and decided to rule out Charlie’s game plan.


- “Let’s move to Plan B!” Ron stated aloud, “and see what Mister Hearthrob himself has to say about this” !.


He reached hopefully for his quill again, and began scribing a new letter to Bill Weasley.


*********
From Bill. by Neli P
Author’s Note: Again, what will follow is not intended to be “Female Psychology 101”, true or false. All Weasleys belong to JKR. Please, Read and Reviews ! Let me know what you think, OK ?? :-)

*********

Two weeks before Hermione’s arrival…

Ron turned his gaze from the window, back to his desk. The Burrow as bathing in an unusual silence, since all the other Weasleys had left early this morning. He was alone, still struggling with his feelings, trying to lye them down beneath his quill.

Ron just finished a new letter to his brother Bill, using a new strategy in his wording: he took great precaution not to reveal himself in the letter. This time, Ron felt more confident about getting some good advices on how to deal with some bushy head young witch, whose smiles and scowls had troubled his heart for quite some time now.

Carefully, Ron re-read his letter.

“Hi, Bill

How are you doing, old brother? I don’t know where you might be on assignment, so I rely on Gringotts’ mail services to forward this letter. Unless Pigwidgeon is stubborn enough to track you down himself!

We are all enjoying our first week of summer vacation! Fred and George are so overloaded with customers at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, that they have (so far) let Ginny and me alone, which suits us just fine. Of course, Mom still fusses about your ponytail and your ear-fang. But for the record, we all agree she should get off your back. You simply look cool!

Remember the time you were Head boy at Hogwarts? Professor McGonagall told us you helped her solve a lot of conflicts between students! Well, I need now your experience and opinion on one particular situation: two of my classmates, a Girl and a Boy, can’t help nagging constantly at each other. They are, otherwise, very close friends and hanging most of time together. I know the boy put in lots of good will to be nice to the girl, but nothing went the way he wanted. Do you think the girl is out of her mind, demanding so much, and not giving a clue about what she really expects? What a ridiculous behavior, considering they are both Prefects and ought to set good examples to the other students.

As a Weasley and a friend, I can not stand there and let them make a fool out of themselves, can I? I wish I could explain to that boy what girls really expect from us, but quite frankly, I don’t know much about the matter either! Help me out, will you? It would be a blast if I can improve that situation as soon as school starts!

Maybe you know some Softening Charm that would help them both back to their senses?

Thanks so much for your advices! See you soon!

Your brother,

Ron



Ron then addressed his letter to Gringotts Bank “ Department of Charms Administration, and went to find Pig. The tiny owl, already recovered from its last trip to Romania, left eagerly again for its next adventure.

Almost a week later, Pig came back, looking exhausted, though glowing with pride. Bill’s reply landed on Ron’s hand in a mist of golden sand. “Thanks, mate! You are the best!” whispered Ron. After pouring fresh water and a double ration of food to his owl, he opened hastily his brother’s letter.


“Dear Ron,

It is great to know you are all well!

Pig did track me down in the Tunisian desert (!). I have been sent here, on assignment for Gringotts, for the last two weeks. This place truly is a fascinating world of contradictions: fire at day, frost at night; you never meet a living soul, although millions of creatures, animals and plants, are struggling to survive. Wait to see my pictures! I will give you all the details next time, I promise!

About the matter that troubled you, there is no such thing as Softening Charm, sorry! However, I can tell you a true story you might find inspiring:

'I know a Young Wizard, at that time a 6th grade student at Hogwarts. He fell in love with one of his classmates, a Nice Witch, who was dating the Captain of their Quidditch team. The Young Wizard knew he had few virtues to compete with the Captain, actually one of the most handsome, successful and popular boy at school. But, he owned a talent the Captain did not: he was a wonderful stories teller. Thus, he began telling stories to the Nice Witch. Day after day, he told her adventures that made her dream, silly facts that made her laugh, and ordinary things that made her see her world as extraordinary. And through legends and tales, the Nice Witch’s feelings began to change. She slowly shifted from Quidditch games to moonlight-strolls, from the popular Captain to the boy who kept amazing her with his stories. Finally, the Young Wizard achieved what he wished for: the Nice Witch agreed to love and to share his dreams for the rest of their lives.
For all the fantasies he planted in her mind had grown into beautiful flowers in her heart …. '

Lovely story, wasn’t it? You see, girls are intelligent persons, filled with imagination. The path to their heart is indeed their mind! They are fond of mystery. They appreciate beauty and originality, because those notions challenge and enrich their mind. It is, somehow, their second nature to fancy a new and improved world.

I think that Hermione totally fits that portrait (she is the Prefect you wrote about, isn’t she?). She is smart, owns a particular talent to turn any dull homework into a masterpiece, and her intentions are no less than noble (Please, tell her I have received all nine copies of “SPEW - Application for membership”, thanks!).

As for you, Ron (unmistakably the “other Prefect” in your letter), it is your game now to make Hermione see the world as she never has before! I don’t mean you have to show yourself smarter than she is (girls hate that, by the way!), or even try to change her mind. The true challenge is to use your imagination, and your great sense of humor to show her the way YOU see things. I am confident she will look at you so differently afterwards!

Remember, a simple drop of milk can turn a whole cup of tea into the sweetest beverage on earth!

I am on your side 200%! Good luck! See you soon!

Bill

P.S.: Just in case you wonder, the real name of our “Young Wizard” is Arthur Weasley. And those wonderful fantasies he told Molly (as known as my “Nice Witch”) were all about Muggles! ”



Ron’s jaw dropped in awe, finding hard to picture his own parents as love struck teenagers. “ Mental, that one!” he uttered. “And how did he guess it was Hermione and me? I did not paint her between lines, didn’t I? ”. Though Ron had to admit, feeling both proud of his brother and annoyed to see his strategy fall flat, Bill did not fail his well-known reputation of charms breaker!.

But, Bill’s great plan would not apply to Hermione! Ron wondered miserably what could he possibly say to impress her? She was already a walking library, wasn’t she? And she certainly knew more about Muggles than “the Young Wizard” himself!

Ron paced his room, frowning and thinking hard. He knew Hermione would become one of the most gifted witches of their generation. She also loved house elves, homework, good marks and rules!

He suddenly stopped on his track. Of course, he knew someone who used to worship those last 3 words: Percy Weasley! And Ron immediately shuddered at the thought of asking his pompous brother about girls!

“Bad luck!” he decided. “I’d rather waltz with a spider, than have the ‘Ministry of Magic git’ pry into in my personal business!

*********

A/N: Thanks for reading, and now, see the blue “Add Reviews” just below ?? Please, click in and send me a word!! I can’t wait for your opinion on this chapter :-) !!
From Percy. by Neli P
Author's Note: Again, this is no "Female Psychology 101" or true or false, and all Weasleys belong to (lucky) JKR (!). Please, Read and Review ! THANKS a lot of all your cool comments so far! You, guys, are the BEST ! :) :) :)


*********


One week before Hermione’s arrival…


Ron sighed heavily, and gave himself another mental kick to write to Percy. Of course, he was more than reluctant to seek advice from his pompous brother. But what if Percy was the one who could give that simple, tiny clue Ron needed to get to Hermione’s heart?

“Blimey, I reckon that ‘Beggars can’t be Choosers’, can they!”, Ron said to himself, sitting in front of a blank piece of parchment. He remembered that, some time last summer, Hermione had spent her lunch hour explaining to him the sense of that Muggle proverb. And only now, he realized the full extent of that phrase, as his list of potential advisers grew seriously thin.


Ron began flattening a few pieces of parchment, still feeling amazed by his stroke of genius: he had gathered some wasted administrative correspondence from his father’s desk. He had to write in a style that Percy could understand. So, between frequent peeks at those official documents, Ron began scribing his own masterpiece.



“TO: Mister Percy Weasley
Mr. Crouch’s Substitute’s temporary Personal Assistant
Ministry of Magic


PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL


Dear Percy, Sir

First, congratulations for your appointment as the new spoke-person of the Cabinet. We were informed that you also maintain your responsibilities as personal assistant to the substitute of late Mr. Crouch. Huge responsibilities, indeed, since you have just entered the Ministry two years ago!

I, hereby, solicit your opinion on a particular matter, as you are a respected representative of the Ministry of Magic. Please, find below details and facts of the situation I wish to submit to your attention:

- SUBJECT: Young Witch, 16 years old, an honest and valuable citizen of the Witches and Wizards community.

- CHARACTERISTICS: very intelligent, generous, kind (although sometimes short-tempered), good-looking “ can turn strikingly gorgeous at will.

- SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS: a permanent recipient of top marks at any class attended at Hogwarts, from every teacher (with the exception of One).

- POINTS THAT (DEFINITELY) NEED IMPROVEMENT: owns a particular talent to keep her thoughts secret, and then blames her fellow students for not achieving what was really expected.

- MY PERSONAL STATEMENT: our relationship can not be qualified as an open conflict. However, if handled improperly, it would affect negatively our cooperation as long term friends.

Therefore, my main question to you is: WHAT DO WITCHES EXPECT FROM WIZARDS IN ORDER TO AGREE ON A BENEFICIAL AND HARMONIUOUS COEXISTENCE?

Your duties must monopolize most of your time. But I would highly appreciate an official and politically correct reply as soon as possible.

I thank you for your interest in my issue, and wish you success in your career at the Ministry.

Best regards, RONALD WEASLEY



Ron grimaced of disgust. His letter sounded so cold, as if the emptiness he felt in his heart had flown into his lines. He decided then to add his personal touch, a short note that might lighten this dull letter.

“P.S. : Hey, Perce! We attended astronomy class last year, so I know much more about Uranus now!”


There! Much better! Ron nodded approvingly and went to find Pigwidgeon. Unlike its other trips, Pig shuddered at the mention of the Ministry of Magic. Or was it the name of the addressee that caused that curious effect on the owl?
But Pig did not hesitate long. As always, his loyalty to Ron prevailed. And like a brave soldier, Pig took off for its next delivery mission.


Ron could hardly measure his owl’s indignation when Pig came back the day after … with NO reply from Percy. However, a few days later, just as Ron gave up hope on receiving an answer from “the Ministry of Magic official git”, he found Percy’s letter neatly placed on his desk by some invisible hand. Well, maybe Percy just wrote to blame him for his astronomy pun? He broke the blue Ministry seal and unfolded the letter.


“Dear Ron,

First, I must admit that your writing skills have improved tremendously! Well done!

You guessed right: I am indeed overloaded with work! I have so much to do, and so little time. So, the new Minister (my new boss) had kindly granted my request to stay at the office as long as I need to keep up with all my urgent reports and studies. Sleep is such a waste of time, don’t you agree? I do think that a good Ministry officer does not need rest, as long as his good work fills him with joy and contentment!

Now, to answer your question, I will get straight to the point: Girls like educated, well-established gentlemen, who can secure the high standard of living they rightfully deserve. I think it would not hurt to show that you have the ambition to go further in everything you have to accomplish, to aim higher goals instead of dwelling on the same spot all your life!

Therefore, I recommend a two-steps plan:

1) Study hard, get as many N.E.W.T. as you can. Moreover, being a Prefect (and later, a Head boy) will certainly sharpen your authority and strengthen your character.

2) Apply for a job at the Ministry. At that point, if you have successfully achieved Step One, I might be able to use my influence to help you into a strategic position that would 'elevate' your career. Of course, you will have to work hard, just like I did. You definitely should come to the Ministry, and visit our Public Library Information Site. I know by heart the exact code to access the precise parchment of information you need to enter a job at the Ministry (I have used it hundreds of time before my graduation):

WizardsWitchesWorld. Ministry of Magic/ Careers/ Requirements.Community.

By the way, I think you made a wise choice in Hermione Granger! I remember her as a brilliant person and definitely worth the efforts you need to accomplish!

Good luck!

Your brother, PERCY WEASLEY”.



Since the third paragraph of the letter, Ron had already decided he HATED Percy’s ideas. He felt sick, but certainly not as sick as his brother must be! He tore the letter in pieces, with the firm intention to burn them later. “I am not Draco Malfoy, remember?”, he scowled out loud, wondering how anger could make a person feel cold and hot at the same time. Of course, he did expect Percy’s point of view. So why did he feel so miserable now, blaming himself for even writing to Percy at the fist place?


Ron was so overwhelmed by his feelings, that he did not hear a muffled “POP” behind his back. And just as he shoved all the pieces of Percy’s torn letter in his pocket, Ron gazed with horror at two freckled, red-hair figures that had apparated in his room.


There stood Fred and George, frowning and looking absolutely up to no good, with an evil twinkle in their eyes …

*********

A/N: Thanks for reading! Now, please click in "Reviews" just below and tell me if you think that Percy is sick or not ?? :) :) Hurry up! I can't wait for your opinion !! :)
From Fred and George. by Neli P
Author's Note: Wow ... Over 1 000 reads already .... THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU ARE THE BEST :) :) :) !!!
Here come Fred and George's advices to Ron. Please, Read and Review ! Again, I regretfully own none of the Weasleys *sigh* and this is no "Female Psychology 101". Thanks again for all your comments ! :)



*********

Impedimenta !’ Fred and George shouted, their wands pointing at Ron.


A flash of green light knocked Ron off his feet. He landed heavily on his back, as the Impediment Jinx operated instantly, freezing his entire body.


‘AAWWW! What was that for?’ Ron yelled, struggling but remaining stone cold on the floor.


At least, his head was still in control ! In spite of all those invisible ropes wrapping tightly around him, he could talk, think … and his mind was actually speeding as Fred and George were zooming on him.

The twins grasped Ron and tossed him on his bed, as gently as they used to treat a sack of potatoes.


THAT, Ronniekins …’ answered Fred ‘… was for writing to that Humungus Bighead!’

‘And for reading the absolute rubbish he sent back!’ continued George. ‘Please, inform us: did you like the Git’s advice ?’


Ron felt the danger deep in his guts. How did the twins find out, and how long had they been there, Ron was wondering. He was quite sure he did not read Percy’s letter out loud…


‘You had no right to read my mail!’ Ron finally decided that attack was his best defense. ‘Don’t tell me you have invented some Extendable Eye to spy on people !’

‘He’s in deep trouble, but still kicking!’ George said, raising his eyes to the ceiling with exasperation. 'You should know that good old Percy never trusted any owl but his own! Great move, though, because Errol once more collapsed on duty, and dropped his letter on my poor head! By the way, please pay some respect to our future Extendable Eye! As soon as we find a way to hold the movable pupil inside its globe, it will be fully functional, thank you !'


Fred nodded approvingly to his twin.

‘We still wait for your answer, Ron!’ he reminded, rather impatient. ‘Did you like the Git’s opinion?’


In his present situation, Ron knew there was no use lying to the twins. So he silently shook his head.

‘HA ! We’re making some progress!’ George clapped in a mocked applause. ‘We reckon you asked Percy about girls! Blimey, you must be desperate!’

‘I might be desperate, but not stupid!’ Ron snapped back. ‘If I had ever asked you two about it, you would have laughed my head off !’


Fred and George exchanged a thoughtful look.

‘You may have a point, there!’ admitted George. ‘However, let’s get something straight: no one makes fun of a Weasley in front of us ! We’d rather laugh about you, with you … then someone else does !’

‘Still, all you can get from a rat is a headache and a pile of droppings !’ said Fred, mimicking their mother’s tone. ‘Did you seriously expect useful information from that Git? We are indeed very disappointed at you, young man! We do think you should have asked us first !’

‘Ask you ?’ Ron was truly astonished by this statement. ‘What do you two know about girls ?’


But Ron realized immediately his mistake when the twins frowned with indignation.

‘We do know ENOUGH to give you a hint or two about the matter !’ hissed George, looking totally offended. ‘Anyway, what do you think we are, clowns ?’


Ron prevented himself from replying. Nevertheless, picturing Fred and George wearing a red knob nose, colorful baggy clothes and oversized shoes was heavenly comforting! At least, Ron thought, the vision was a definite winner after the souvenir of Malfoy “ the Jumping Ferret!


‘All right !’ Ron said in a shaky voice, for his throat was tight with repressed giggles. ‘I did ask Percy’s opinion on how to deal with Girls ! I had … sort of … a hard time figuring out what they really expect from Boys !’


Again, the twins exchanged another look of mutual agreement. When they turned to him again, Ron could recognize that serious expression in their eyes, the same Madam Hooch used to show during a speech on broomsticks.


‘Ronnie, dearest!’ began George, ‘we thought it was obvious! Girls want ACTION !’

‘… FUN !’ added Fred.

‘… SURPRISES !’

‘They want someone who will cheer them with Filibuster Fireworks at good times’

‘… Someone who will warm them with Chocolate Frogs at bad times !’

‘They want a friend, a mate, a pal … name it as you wish !’

‘In three words: they want a “PARTNER IN CRIMES” …’

‘… Who can understand them …’

‘… Inspire them …’

‘… Never take anything for granted …’

‘… Stand by their side in this endless quest to bring on laughter …’

‘… And to shake this world’s eternal boredom !’

‘For the record, is it Hermione Granger we are talking about ?’ asked George, as a matter of fact.


Ron, whose gaze was bouncing from George to Fred during this overwhelming flow of information, was caught by surprise. During long seconds, he tried to weigh the pros and the cons, then simply nodded. A triumphant grin lightened the twins’ faces.

‘So it is Prefect Granger!' George confirmed, almost to himself.

‘Then, go on !’ urged Fred, looking at Ron. ‘You are already her “partner in crime” in many occasions, aren’t you ?’

‘Stop beating about the bush, doing nothing good!’ George continued. ‘All it takes now is to bring more FUN in the process ! Piece of cake, isn’t it ?’

‘Yeah! Piece of cake!’ admitted the youngest Weasley boy, less than convinced.


Ron was breathing more easily now. The Impediment Jinx was fading off. Fred and George slowly rose to their feet and headed to the door, almost strutting with pride.

‘ Uh … Thanks, I guess!’ Ron said from his bed.

‘You are welcome, Ronnie!’ Fred answered. ‘Go make us proud, will you? And remember our slogan: “Wheezes Do What Weasleys Are”, get it ?’


To Ron’s great relief, they finally opened the door and stepped out of his room. Then, something suddenly caught George’s attention. From his bed, Ron could only see his brother bend down and pick up some suspicious object from the floor.


‘Shame on you, Ginny Weasley!’ George bellowed, handling Fred what appeared to be the evidence of their young sister’s crime.

‘She used our Extendable Ear to pry on our business !’ squeaked Fred. ‘Oh Hooo … she will definitely pay for this !’


The twins sped out, in search of their little eavesdropper. And again Ron was left dealing alone with his thoughts and the last effects of the jinx …

*********

A/N: Thanks for reading ! :) ... Now, please take a few seconds to let me know what you think, OK ?? :) :) :).
From Ginny. by Neli P
Author’s Note: Wow, over 1500 reads !! You are GREAT and THANKS SO MUCH for all your COOL REVIEWS! I hope you will like this chapter, because Ginny is my favorite Weasley (well… slightly after Ron of course (!)). Please, Read and Review! Again, JKR is the real genius, and I only fancy her Weasleys! :) :)


*********


Ron opened his eyes, alerted by some strange noises coming from downstairs. A glance at the mural clock showed him it was only 9:12 PM, on a quiet summer evening. His parents had left earlier, just after a quick supper, for some meeting with other members of the Order. Molly had only asked him to keep an eye on his little sister until their return, and by the look in her eyes, Ron understood instantly that asking questions would have been highly risky.


He stirred in his bed, sending his volume of “Hogwarts: A history” fall down the floor. Ron reluctantly gathered the heavy book, and placed the red and gold ribbon to mark his page. "Page 2, Chapter One" he noted, frowning slightly, "only 1267 pages and 39 chapters to go through". Actually, Ron was amazed by his new personal record, he did read twelve glorious lines tonight before falling asleep!


The Burrow was only lit by moonlight as Ron came down the silent staircase. The strange noises he heard were coming from the kitchen, so was a nice smell of baking, as he pushed the door open.


A total mess was reigning in Molly’s usually spotless kitchen. And, among a confusion of bowls, spoons and scattered eggshells stood Ginny, holding a tray in her gloved hands.


"Oh, Hi, Ron!" she greeted him with a guilty smile, "sorry I woke you up!"


Ron shook his head, still gazing at his sister, while she began loading a new plate with her bakeries. She must have struggled awhile with 'whatever she was baking', judging by traces of flour on her flaming red hair and bits of uncooked dough on her oversized apron.


"Look, genuine Muggles Chocolate chips Cookies!" Ginny said eagerly, presenting the plate to Ron. "Go on, give it a try!"


"Uh … thanks, Gin! But I’m stuffed!" Ron lied, eying suspiciously at his sister’s cooking.

"Trust me!" she smiled again. "I was quite successful with this batch!"


Ron looked carefully at one flat, brown dotted cookie before taking a small bite. He was actually surprised to find it quite tasty. To Ginny’s great satisfaction, he shoved down the rest of it rapidly, before reaching for another one.


"I told you those are good, didn’t I!" Ginny said proudly. "How about some milk?"

"Mmm Hmm …" nodded Ron, his mouth full, while moving an empty baking tray from a chair before sitting.


Ginny poured him a glass of milk and took place at the messy kitchen table. She seized one cookie and nibbled it with a knowing look on her face.


"This is delicious!" Ron complimented after a third cookie. "How did you make it?"

"No magic was needed! Hermione gave me the recipe!" Ginny answered, with an odd glance at Ron. "And … speaking of Hermione" Ginny continued carefully, "you know she’s coming tomorrow? What are you intended to tell her then?"

"What?" Ron choked in his milk, his ears instantly turned red. "Does the whole world know about this? Oh, of course! The Extendable Ear!"


Ginny simply shrugged, ignoring her brother’s discomfort.


"I know you were writing to the big boys, asking for advices about Hermione!" she explained coolly. "I was the one sealing back Percy’s letter and placing it on your desk after Fred and George had read it. And if I was not mistaking, you only asked Percy as a last resort, so I figured out you had written to Charlie and Bill, but could not use their advices."


Ron’s jaw dropped in awe at Ginny’s flowing logic. This girl never ceased amazing him, as her mind just grew swifter everyday. Of course, he always knew she was smart. But hanging out with both Fred & George, and Hermione did seem to outrange her from the average girls. At this precise moment, Ron was not sure he could cope with the 'real-Weasley-wheeze-to-be' sitting across the table.


"You’re right!" Ron admitted miserably. "I did ask them!"

"What did they tell you?" Ginny asked.

"They said … Hey, but why am I talking about this with YOU?" Ron shrieked, feeling more and more nettled.

"Well, I reckon you should have asked me at the first place!"


Ron couldn’t believe his ears. That last statement did sound familiar to him.


"Ask you?" he repeated, "I can’t ask you! You’re my little sister!"

"AND a Girl, in case you have not noticed!"


Another familiar accusation! Ron remembered vividly that another girl had blamed him for the same crime two years ago, at the Yule Ball.


"Come on, Ron!" urged Ginny, "give me a try! What if I can help you with a clue or two?"


Ron sighed again before taking his decision. After all, every brother of his, including Percy, had guessed about Hermione. Besides, he had nothing to loose to tell Ginny, hadn’t he?


"Charlie recommended patience and observation, but I think he’d rather deal with dragons" Ron said, and Ginny’s giggles filled up the room. "Bill suggested I follow Dad’s example, tell Hermione stories to make her see the world the way I see it … And I guess you know about Percy’s, Fred and George’s opinion about the matter. The worst thing is, I reckon I can’t apply any of their plans!" he concluded, leaning back on his chair, a look of disgust on his face.


"Do you know why?" Ginny began, after listening patiently to him. "Because those plans are someone else’s, not yours! Those great advices might perform wonders with the girls Charlie or Bill, or Fred and George might fancy. But your instinct certainly told you it can’t help you with Hermione! You know, Ron, what a girl really wants, is that the boy she fancies can show her, in his own way, that he does care about her!"

"That is what I try to do!" Ron replied. "But why make things so complicated? Why don’t you just tell us straight what you expect from us, so there would be no misunderstanding, no waste of time, and no one would be disappointed?"

"And suck the whole fun out of the process?" Ginny snapped back, her mutinous grin was back on her lips. "What is the glory in catching the Snitch if you know in advance its exact position and timing? Can you imagine something like …" Ginny then curled her hands in front of her mouth, on an improvised megaphone "'Hullo, Snitch to Seeker! Please, freeze and raise your right hand! I start my landing in exactly 3 … 2 … 1 … seconds. Over!'"


Ginny knew she scored a point as Ron’s face lit up with a whole new reckoning. To her brother, anything related to Quiddicht would make sense, and she just had a new proof of it!


"The most important point is that you truly care for each other!" Ginny continued, inspired by Ron’s broad smile. "Do you think Hermione care about you?"

"I don’t know!" Ron hesitated "… I guess she might … sometimes …"

"Have you ever wondered why Hermione kept watching over you, urging you on homework, among other things? Why she spent her holiday here, at the Burrow, instead of traveling world wide with her parents? She had even refused Viktor Krum’s invitation to visit his castle in Bulgaria …"

"HA!" Ron interrupted hotly, just hating the mention of both Hermione and Krum’s name in one sentence. "Do you know she wrote novels to him all year long? And right under my freckled nose!"

"Is that what she told you? And you did actually believe it was true?"


Ginny shook her head at her brother’s puzzled expression. She fondly reached for Ron’s hand across the table. Dear Ron! How could he be such an unbeatable chess-player, and so clueless when feelings were concerned!


"Look, Hermione kept sending signs that she does care about you, and, please, stop bashing them right back at her, all right? I think it is high time you speak out your feelings for her! Believe me, Hermione would LOVE hearing it from you!"

"What … if she does not feel what I do?" Ron muttered. "What if I … make a … complete … fool out of myself?"

"You won’t!" Ginny declared. "Just be sincere, true to yourself. I know both of you enough to guarantee a sure win! And speaking as a girl myself, I say we know and treasure any gesture coming straight from the heart."

"How do you know?"


Ginny’s expression softened instantly. She turned her gaze away from Ron, drifting now in her own nostalgia. Ron was fascinated by the mixed feelings that were shining in her amber eyes. Was it longing, or hope, or courage? Ron could not make up his mind about his sister thoughts.


"I know, that’s all!" Ginny answered softly. "When I care about someone, I only know that my heart swells at the sight of him, at the sound of his voice. And when he looks at me, I can see my whole world in his eyes! He doesn’t need to tackle a dragon, or perform a Patronus to impress me … Watching him de-gnoming the backyard is adventure for me, as long as he is happy doing it! I imagine it must be … wonderful … to hear him telling me that he does care about me too…"


Then, with the same suddenness, Ginny appeared to snap out of her thoughts, realizing she probably had revealed too much.


"I can hear Fred and George! They’re still after me for the Extendable Ear!" she said, blushing furiously and hurried out of the kitchen without a look back.

"Ginny, who will clean all this mess?" Ron called after her.


No reply came back, nor did any sign of Fred and George’s presence!

Ron rose resolutely to his feet, and took on clearing Ginny’s abandoned battle field. She deserved this favour, he decided, as their conversation had undoubtedly lifted his spirits to a new level. He promised himself he would thank her later, whenever she’d decide to reappear.


Dear Ginny, Ron thought fondly, as he discovered dozens of wasted cookies hidden under the sink. She made it sound almost easy … A girl’s mind was obviously not so inscrutable, after all! As far as his little sister was concerned, all it took was sincerity, a bunch of untidy black hair, and a scar on the forehead!



*********

A/N: VOILÀ! Thanks again for reading! Please, let me know what you think, OK? If you are still with me, the next chapter will be Hermione’s response to Ron! :) :)
Finale: Response from Hermione. by Neli P
Author's Note: You are really AMAZING :) : Over 2000 reads and such NICE and SUPPORTIVE reviews!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! ... a thousand times! :) :) :)
Finally, here comes Hermione's response to Ron. Please Read and Review. I hope you will enjoy this chapter, as much as I had loved writing it ... :) Once again, thanks JKR for such wonderful and inspiring characters! Is there any charm to turn them mine? NO? OK! *lol*








“Dear Hermione,
I sometimes wish I was a talented story-teller, to write a poem or a book to tell you about my feelings for you. I am just an ordinary wizard-to-be, always a step behind in homework, and in other complicated matters such as what girls may expect from boys. But I know one thing for sure, that you are a wonderful person, and to me, you mean much more than a best friend to me. I care about you, as I never have about any other person in this whole world, and that will never change, whatever the future may plan for us!”



Ron knew those lines by heart, repeating them for, at least, the hundredth time. He was gazing now at his ‘target’ through the kitchen door and, again, he felt a familiar knot squeezing his throat.


It was a fuzzy summer evening, and Hermione Granger was sitting alone in the Burrow’s backyard, watching Crookshanks chase after gnomes. She had arrived two days ago, her trunk loaded with books and gifts for every Weasley living in the house. And still Ron had not found the right moment, or the courage to tell her what he had carefully planed.


In fact, what really made Ron proud these last days, was his great performance in ignoring Ginny’s pointed looks. Also, he had coolly swept away Fred and George’s threat; the twins had indeed cornered him, hissing through their baring teeth, “Go on, spill your guts! What are you waiting for? Puking Nougat?”

Ron had to do it, and no one knew it better than himself. So, gathering any bit of courage he had built as a Gryffindor Keeper, he stepped out to join Hermione in the garden.


“Hey, Hermione! Got a minute?” he asked, wondering if this high-pitched voice was really his.

“Ron!” Hermione startled, as if awaken from deep, secret thoughts.

“Well, uh…I can come back later…” Ron hesitated.

“No! I mean, of course we can talk! We’re on vacation aren’t we?”

“We are! Please, don’t tell me you already miss school and homework?”

“Not yet!” Hermione laughed, and Ron just loved the sound of it. “Don’t you think we had a hectic year; lessons, O.W.L.s, DA meetings? I am firmly intended to enjoy my summer for a change.”


And just as those last words were pronounced, a dark owl with long feathers materialized from nowhere, and dropped a powder-blue letter in Hermione’s hands. Ron immediately looked at the owl with an undisguised hatred. Something in the way it froze in mid air, then dived on Hermione’s shoulder reminded him of the 'Wronski Feint'.


“Thanks, Rostov!” said Hermione as a matter of fact, stroking its dark grey feathers. “Poor thing! You must be exhausted!”

“You know his name?”

“Yes … this is Rostov, Viktor’s owl! He was so brave traveling such a long way under this burning sun, wasn’t he?”

“It doesn’t look ‘roasted’ enough to me!” Ron said, perfectly unpleasant.

“Ron, what a terrible thing to say! Rostov just did his job!”


After a sharp look to Ron, Hermione took the owl inside. Ron suspected she also seized the opportunity to read Krum’s letter. Once again, Ron’s great plans were ruined! He understood now how the Bulgarian team must have felt at the Quiddicht World Cup two years ago. 'Vicky' just showed a natural talent to pick the worst moment either to catch the Snitch, or to owl his infamous blue letter! Damn Krum and his eternal bad timing! Ron thought furiously.

Ron was still cursing in his mind, when Hermione came back, a severe frown on her face, a sure sign that she had not finished with him. Well, if she wanted another taste of the 'Weasley-red-temper,' he would certainly not disappoint her!


“So, what did Vicky want?” he decided to attack up front. “I guess the Git fell off his broom, broke his neck, and summoned sweet Herm-own-ninny to his last moments?”

“You are doing an outstanding job acting stupid!” Hermione scowled, noticing the hopeful quaver in Ron’s voice. “Actually, it was very kind of him to invite me to Budapest. He offered to show me museums and ancient architectures.”

“Ancient architecture, my foot! You mean, the kind of old stuff like himself?”

“Ron, grow up!”

“You grow up, too! I just can’t stand it when you look at Krum like a…a ‘Shining Knight on his Noble Stick.’ What a shame you did not see him with his ugly shark-head on at the Triwizard Tournament!”

“You are unfair, and you know it! And by the way, you said it wrong! A Knight is ‘in Shining Armour’ or ‘on his Noble Steed’! Get it?”


They glared at each other, both trembling with anger. However, Hermione couldn’t help feeling her heart swell while gazing at Ron. His blue eyes were sparkling, showing a startling contrast with his face now as red as his hair. She had missed him so much during the last month.

Stop it, Hermione! Concentrate! she urged herself, resolute to stand her ground in the argument. She faced him again, ready for battle.


“So, you made your point, Ron! You loathe Viktor!” she said, and as Ron rolled his eyes, she continued “I don’t understand! You used to worship him once.”

“I changed my mind!” Ron replied curtly.

“Well, I didn’t!” Hermione stated, a note of defiance in her tone. “I still think he is a nice and more than decent person! So, why shouldn’t I befriend him?”

“Because…I…hate it!”

“OH, again? May I ask if there is anything on earth that you don’t hate, Ronald Weasley, Sir?”

“Yeah! YOU!” Ron snapped back.

“Me? You mean ‘YES, you hate me’?”

“I mean 'NO, Miss Distort-it-all, I LOVE YOU!’"


Hermione’s eyes widened with surprise. She took a step backwards, crossing her arms nervously on her chest. Their argument had definitely taken an unexpected twist.


“You don’t mean that!” she blamed in a shaky voice. “What can you possibly love about me?”


Ron repressed the urge to take her in his arms and stroke this painful uncertainty out of her. She was the only girl who could drag his emotions in such a restless roller-coaster ride. And he knew, deep in his soul, that she will always be the only one.

His anger and everything he had carefully planed to say vanished into thin air. He looked at her, finding her so stunningly beautiful that words came by themselves, true and gentle.


“I love how your idea of a cool book is a school book,” Ron said.

Hermione’s lips curled slightly, and Ron carried on.

“I love your impossible, stubborn devotion to ‘spew.’”

“It is ‘S.P.E.W.,’” she reminded in a breath.

“And, it always amazed me how you can walk out of a Quidditch game, just because you think you have better things to do.”

“That sounds like me!” Hermione whispered.

“Most of all, Hermione, I feel I can offer you the world, if you ask me to. For everything seems possible when we are together!”


Ron was panting, his face burning as blood rushed furiously against his temples. He glimpsed at Hermione, and realized he had never witnessed her in such a speechless state before. A vicious doubt started worming its way into his mind. Blimey, was she analyzing this? If she started laughing now, he would Disapparate right on the spot (he hadn’t learned how, but he’d manage). He would run away, leave the Burrow and Hogwarts. He would disappear where no living soul would suspect he once bared his soul in front of Hermione Granger.


But the laugh Ron dreaded never came. Hermione’s face simply glowed with a smile that showed nothing else than pure tenderness. The same tenderness Ron could see shining in her eyes. Beads of tears started tracing her cheeks, and Ron fondly grazed them with his thumb.


“You know the world means nothing to me if I don’t have you!” Hermione confided softly, her voice stranded with emotions. “I love you, Ron Weasley! And you took long enough to figure that one out, didn’t you?”


Ron’s heart started beating again as Hermione’s words sank in and when she braced her arms around his neck, rose on her tiptoes to press her lips against his, they could both swear that all the stars were falling from the sky and nettling them in their bright lights. They held on tight to each other, for the whole world was spinning in an endless dance, with no violin playing, but the summer breeze whispering music in their ears.


After what seemed like an eternity of happiness, their lips parted reluctantly. Hermione rested her head on Ron’s shoulder. They stayed in each other’s arms, oblivious to the silver moonlight, and to a few intrepid garden-gnomes sneaking in for the night. Finally, they could open their hearts, sharing those feelings they kept secret for all this time. They both agreed that their constant bickering was nothing more than one of their silly efforts to hide their love from each other.


“When exactly did you reckon you like me?” Hermione asked almost shyly, her cheeks turning pink. No matter what Ron might think about her question, she had to know, and wanted to hear the answer from him.

“Maybe…” Ron racked his mind, “since I saw you hiding in Moaning Myrtle’s toilet, with cat hair all over your face.”


Hermione smiled broadly, leaning to kiss him again. She touched his cheek, gazing at his adoring blue eyes.


“I’ll go write to Viktor to let him know I am not coming!” she added before Ron could utter a protest. “I will tell him I’d much rather spend my summer holiday with my boyfriend!”

“That sounds lovely!” Ron nodded approvingly, a mischievous smile back on his lips. “But before you go, tell me, when did you reckon you like me?”

“I think I fell for you the day I saw you in the Hogwarts Express, with dirt on your nose!”


And there she headed for the house, a smile pinned on her face. Ron was floating now in a blissful cloud. Who would have thought brainy, brilliant Hermione actually felt love at first sight? There were only two boys in the train compartment Hermione entered that day; The-Boy-Who-Lived and himself, Ron, the Lucky One. Of course, she had been impressed by Harry’s scar, but the trace of dirt on his nose definately won her heart!


Later that night, in the silence of his bedroom, Ron scribed a letter to his best friend:


Hi Harry,

I hope the Muggles remembered Mad-Eye’s warnings, and are treating you well!

Hold on, all right? We will get you out of there, as soon as we have the ‘green light from Mr. D.’ (See, I am getting quite good at Muggles’ figure of speech, aren’t I?).

Hermione is already here, at the Burrow. And we just can’t wait for you to join us…

By the way, I have finally told her, yesterday, about my feelings for her (you might have figured that out already, haven’t you). Well, words fail me to describe how amazing it felt when she said she does care about me too! Winning the Quidditch Cup would not even come close. All I can tell you, mate, that it was simply MAGIC!






A/N: Thanks for reading! :) Sorry if you think I was 'mean' to Krum! You see, I would definitely call him 'Vicky'... and yes, I hate him, OK?? :) :) :) Anyway, please let me know what you think about this chapter! I can't wait for your comments!! Bye Bye :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5942