Switching the Witch by nickynackyneevy38
Summary: It’s Parvati and Padma Patil’s last year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and their lives continue in school as normal...only they are living in each other’s shoes! After swapping places with each other at the beginning of the year, the sisters have to prove to the whole school that nothing has changed. Follow their many adventures and see what really happens when you switch a witch!
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 6855 Read: 12635 Published: 10/29/06 Updated: 07/19/07

1. To Hatch a Plan by nickynackyneevy38

2. Caught in the Act by nickynackyneevy38

3. Releasing the Jaybird by nickynackyneevy38

4. Chapter 4-Where Am I? by nickynackyneevy38

5. Confusion and Jealousy by nickynackyneevy38

To Hatch a Plan by nickynackyneevy38
Author's Notes:
This is my first go at writing a fanfic so don't judge too harshly please! I promise it will get funnier in later chapters, I'm just introducing the story in this one. R&R please!
It was the beginning of September, and students were getting off the Hogwarts Express and greeting each other enthusiastically. It was a beautiful day; the sky was clear and the sun shone down on the grounds of the castle in a way that even the Forbidden Forest didn’t look so forbidden. Parvati and Padma Patil were waiting patiently in the queue for a carriage to carry them to Hogwarts castle. The two twins spoke freely, chatting about their friends’ new hairstyles and their summer.

“Did you see Ron walk past on the Hogwarts Express? He must have grown at least three inches over the summer!” exclaimed Parvati while her sister looked at her confusedly. Parvati sighed and said in an exasperated voice, “The boy who took you to the Yule Ball? Who left you sitting by yourself? Who ignored you so completely and-”

“Yes, I know, I know!” her sister snapped. Padma had never quite forgiven Ron for leaving her alone at the Yule Ball, and still said it was the worst night of her life. Parvati brushed off her sister’s retort, used to the mood swings her sister often had. They walked in silence to their carriage, which, to their surprise, already held Hermione, Harry, and, to Padma’s distaste, Ron.

As soon as the Patil sisters had stepped into the carriage, Padma shot a disgusted look at Ron, who is return gulped audibly, obviously slightly uncomfortable around her.

“How was your summer, Parvati? Padma?” said Harry, trying to break the tension that was now filling the carriage.

“It was wonderful! We both went to the Netherlands and saw a gifted Seer. She said I possessed the Inner Eye and I would soon have control of it when I become of age!” Parvati said excitedly. Parvati had always been very interested in Divination and planned on studying it for her N.E.W.T.s this year. She and Lavender had a deep respect for their Divination teacher, Professor Trelawney, who Harry, Hermione, and Ron thought was an old fraud. Padma, who had stopped glaring at Ron, immediately snorted with derision at what her sister said and blurted out, “Parvati, that Seer was worse than Trelawney! She thought I was your spirit guide when we first entered the room and refused to believe I was real until I poked her! Or did you forget that little fact?”

Parvati scowled at Padma and did not speak to her for the rest of the carriage journey. Hermione tried sheepishly to start up a conversation with Harry and Ron, but Harry shook his head warningly when Hermione said anything and Ron was too busy trying to ignore Padma, who was now glaring at him once again. After three attempts of conversation, Hermione gave up and they all sat in silence until the carriage came to a slow stop. Ron jumped out of the carriage before it had even stopped, glad to get out of the range of Padma’s cruel glare, while Harry and Hermione weren’t far behind.

The two twins walked their separate ways once out of the carriage, still angry with each other. Parvati ran up to her best friend Lavender, who immediately began chatting to her as if she had never been away from her all summer, and both girls walked quickly over to the Gryffindor table to find a space close to Dean and Seamus . Padma walked into the Great Hall alone, but soon found who she was looking for. A tall, handsome seventh year named Andrew McAlister was walking over to her, a broad smile on his face. He had a mop of curly brown hair that fell into his green eyes, and his smile could melt butter. He swooped down on Padma and kissed her softly on the lips. The pair was a match made in heaven. Padma and Andrew had been going out now for three months, and Padma felt like the luckiest girl in the world. She was extremely surprised and happy when Andrew first came up to her in June of last year and meekly asked if she would go to Hogsmeade with him that weekend. Unfortunately, the couple’s endeavours had been cut short by the summer holiday, and they rarely got to see each other. They were both glad to get back to school so their time together would not be so limited.

Padma took Andrew’s warm hand and walked with him over to the Ravenclaw table, where she sat down beside her friend Amy Sexton. Everyone in the hall watched as a long line of nervous first years walked up to where Dumbledore was standing, each trying to push other first years to the front of the line. Dumbledore looked kindly down at them all while Professor McGonagall brought out the Sorting Hat. After each first year had been sorted into his or her house, Dumbledore stood up and silence fell upon the Great Hall.

“Welcome, old and new students! I hope your summer has left you well and ready to start a new year, but for now, eat up!” At once, the empty plates in front of everyone filled up with the most delicious food, and there was a loud cheer as everyone reached as many plates as they could. After both the feast and Dumbledore’s start of the year speech, the students got up and walked to their dormitories. Padma was one of the first to get up, as she was a prefect and had to lead the first years to their new living quarters. Andrew got up with her as he too was a prefect, and the both of them rounded up the first years and lead them up towards their common room. After kissing Andrew goodnight, Padma went up to her dormitory sleepily, got changed into her pyjamas, and got into her warm bed. She smiled happily at the thought of finally being reunited with her boyfriend, and at once fell into a dreamless sleep.

*****************

Parvati, on the other hand, was not as happy as Padma. Neither Dean nor Seamus had noticed her constant flirting all through the feast, and they had even started talking about her twin sister as if she was the new “it” girl. Fuming, Parvati half dragged Lavender up to their dormitory, nearly knocking down a small second year girl who was walking down the stairs.

“I can’t BELIEVE the nerve of those two! I mean, my sister is in a relationship, so now she is the perfect girl for them!” Parvati screamed into her pillow while Lavender sympathetically patted her arm. After Parvati had calmed down a bit, Lavender suggested they both get a good night’s sleep and try again in the morning with Dean and Seamus. Parvati agreed unwillingly, but was soon in her bed listening to the other students in the room falling asleep while she herself was completely awake.

I don’t see why Dean doesn’t like me, Parvati thought.It’s not like I’m ugly or anything! I know for a fact that he fancied me in fourth year; he wasn’t very good at hiding it, so why does he decide now that he’s not interested? Boys are so hard to understand! I know why Seamus isn’t interested; he’s practically head over heels in love with Lavender, but Dean? How can he like Padma but not me?

Parvati sat up in bed, wildly excited.

Of course! she thought. Why didn’t I think of this before? Immediately Parvati took a sheet of crumpled parchment out of her bag and wrote a letter to her sister hurriedly, as if afraid she would forget her idea if she didn’t write it down.

Folding the parchment up carefully and putting it in her pocket, Parvati hurried quietly down to the common room and pulled on her shoes, which she had tossed off in her anger earlier that evening. Quietly, Parvati opened the portrait hole, trying her best not to waken the Fat Lady, who was known to give severe telling off’s to anyone she caught sneaking out after dark.

After managing to get out of the portrait hole successfully, Parvati stole quickly away to the Owlery, hoping against hope that she wouldn’t be caught. Apart from a near run in with Mrs. Norris, Parvati managed to get to the Owlery unscathed, and after catching her breath quickly, Parvati chose a screech owl to carry her note to her sister.

Once she had sent the owl on its way, Parvati sat down on one of the few clean patches on the floor of the Owlery while owls swooped in and out of the window above her head.

“Please be up, Padma,” she whispered nervously to herself. “Please be up…”
Caught in the Act by nickynackyneevy38
Author's Notes:
please R and R! all comments are appreciated and replyed to :)

Padma woke with a start. A brown screech owl was circling her bed, a letter tied to its leg. Curiously, Padma reached up her arm for the owl to rest on and quickly tore off the letter. It read:

Padma, it’s me, Parvati. I don’t have time to explain why I’m writing to you at this time of night, but meet me in the Owlery NOW. It’s urgent and it can’t wait!

Parvati


Padma reread the letter, unsure of what to do.

I could just ignore the letter and go back to sleep, she thought, but shook this idea out of her head immediately. She was not at all tired and her curiosity about her sister was getting the better of her. Slowly, Padma got up and pulled her cloak around her. It was a cold night and she needed the warmth if it. Quickly tying up her shoes, Padma went down to her common room. Pushing open the door concealed in the wall, she exited the Ravenclaw common room.

Padma walked stealthily down the long corridor, hiding in the shadows. It seemed all was well until she heard shuffling footsteps walking quickly in her direction. A quick glance around the corner told Padma it was Filch, the school caretaker, on the prowl for rule-breaking students. Panicking, Padma looked wildly around for a means of escape. Unable to think of a safe place to run to, Padma was forced to jump into a disused classroom beside her to avoid Filch. Holding her breath, she eased the door shut so as not to draw to Filch’s attention her presence in the room.

“See anything, my sweet?” whispered Filch to his cat, Mrs. Norris, who was pawing the door of the classroom Padma had just jumped into.

Rats! though Padma, and she jumped under the teacher’s desk just as Filch pushed the door of the classroom open.

“I know you’re here; come out, come out wherever you are…” sang Filch, slowly walking around the room. Padma’s heart was racing as she heard Filch getting ever closer. She knew that she had nowhere to run to. But before Filch got to her, a loud crash sounded somewhere on the floor below Padma, causing Filch to stop suddenly and whip around.

“PEEVES!” he roared, racing down the hallway and stumbling down the stairs. Padma couldn’t believe her luck, but still waited silently until Filch’s footsteps died away into silence. Slowly, Padma got up from under the desk and walked cautiously to the door, checking that both Filch and Mrs. Norris were out of sight.

Running as fast and as silently as she could, Padma raced up the stairs to the Owlery, stopping just outside it to catch her breath. After a minute or so, Padma pushed open the Owlery door warily. She was immediately grabbed around the neck and forced to the ground.

“Parvati?” said Padma, choking.

“Shhh! Someone’s just below us!” And sure enough, the sisters heard footsteps echoing below them. They both sat as still as possible, hardly daring to breathe. Once the footsteps had died away, Padma immediately turned on her sister.

“What do you mean by dragging me out of bed in the middle of the night?” she snapped

“Well, I hardly dragged you-”

“Oh, you know what I mean!” she said angrily. “It’s about three in the morning and I get this scrawled letter sent to me ordering me to come straight to the Owlery!”

“Well, you could have stayed where you were,” said Parvati loftily.

“You know I’m extremely curious and would come as soon as you wrote that letter!”

“Why, of course! What’s a twin for?”

“Hitting with a stick,” retorted Padma. She was feeling calmer and was becoming steadily more curious about what Parvati called her here for.

“So what did you want to tell me so urgently?” Padma asked.

“I’ve got an idea” said Parvati excitedly.

“… AND?!”

“Oh! Well, I just thought you’d like to know I still have an imagination.”

“Parvati…”

“Yes?”

“GET TO THE POINT!”

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist!” Parvati whispered.

“If you don’t hurry up-” Padma threatened.

“Ok, ok! Well, I have this idea…”

“Don’t start this again.”

“What again?” Parvati asked in mock confusion.

“Parvati!” Padma was now intensely annoyed and Parvati was smirking at her, knowing she was incensing her. The ability to wind up Padma was what Parvati called her “gift”, while Padma said Parvati just liked getting duffed up.

“I think we should both switch places,” Parvati gushed out, grinning wickedly.

“You think what?”

“We should switch places!”

“No way, José.”

“Oh, come on, Padma! It would be a practical joke that would go down in Hogwarts history forever! Don’t you want to become the next Fred and George Weasley?”

“No,” said Padma flatly. Ever since the incident in Dover, when Parvati and Padma pretended to be the same person and dated the same guy for a week before telling him they were twins and earning a month long grounding, Padma hated the words “practical”, “joke”, and “Padma” being used in the same sentence.

“Padma! Please! Would you not do it for me?” Parvati whined, giving Padma her best puppy dog look. Padma merely glared at her sister. Padma was the only person able to stick to her convictions when Parvati gave that look; it came with living with her for seventeen years.

“No, I like my house and I don’t want to sacrifice the time I’m spending with Andrew just for a practical joke,” said Padma, her tone final.

“I think you’ll change your mind when I tell you this,” said Parvati knowingly, giving Padma a significant look. For the first time since she stepped foot in the Owlery, Padma’s certainty was ebbing. Parvati could be very persuasive when she wanted to be, and it seemed like this was going to be one of those times.

“If you help me snag Dean by pretending to be me, I’ll help you pass your Potions N.E.W.T.,” Parvati said while grinning. This deal seemed very much in Padma’s favour as she was falling behind in Potions and needed top grades to become a Healer. She was well known for unconsciously making boys fall head over heels in love with her, and even though Parvati was her identical twin sister, she had never mastered the ability to do that. The deal was good…too good.

“What if Dean doesn’t fall for me?” said Padma slowly, trying to hide the fact she was now very interested in the deal Parvati was laying in front of her.

“You and I BOTH know that no man can resist your charm, Padma,” said Parvati sweetly, nudging her sister in the ribs.

“Thanks for the compliment, but don’t think I don’t realise that you’re just buttering me up so I’ll agree.”

“You’ll agree? That’s great!” said Parvati, grabbing her sister’s hand and shaking it vigorously.

“I didn’t say tha-” started Padma, but she stopped when she saw Parvati’s face beaming with delight.

Well, it can’t hurt for just one week, thought Padma, trying to reassure herself. After dusting themselves off, the two sisters descended the Owlery stairs, linking arms and chatting without a thought to how much noise they were making.

That was until they walked headfirst into Professor McGonagall. They both gasped in terror and stared fearfully into her narrowed eyes.

“Follow me,” she said sharply, and then turned and walked quickly towards the staircase. The twins exchanged fearful glances with each other and then, staring at the ground, ran to catch up with McGonagall, unsure of what was to happen to them next.
Releasing the Jaybird by nickynackyneevy38
Author's Notes:
this chapter is a bit of a filler so sorry if it isn't very interesting. It will get better, scouts honour! Read and review please!:D


“In. Now.” Professor McGonagall’s voice cut through the silence like a steely knife. With a slight jump, the two girls hurriedly entered her office. After swiftly closing the door, Professor McGonagall turned to face the two girls whose heads were bowed to the ground.

“Just what do you have to say for yourselves?” said McGonagall in a steely whisper. Parvati wished her knees would stop knocking as she was sure it was audible in the choking silence that filled the room.

“Well?” exclaimed McGonagall after an awkward pause. Padma shot Parvati a warning look which said keep your mouth shut and we might get off lightly. Unfortunately, Parvati was not quite so blessed as Padma in the common sense area.

“Well, to tell you the truth, Professor, we were both on our way to the Hospital Wing to get salve to apply to Padma’s foot.”

“My foot…OUCH!” Professor McGonagall whipped around from looking for detention slips and stared at the sisters. Padma was hopping on one foot wincing in pain while Parvati patted her arm sympathetically.

“She hurt it just after dinner while walking up the stairs,” lied Parvati, who continued patting Padma on the arm until her hand was batted away angrily by her sister.

“I do not accept rule breaking whatever the reason happens to be,” snapped McGonagall through thin lips. Her patience was wearing thin due to lack of sleep, and it was clear she did not believe a word of Parvati’s story.

“Twenty points from Gryffindor and Ravenclaw for being out after hours and another ten points from Gryffindor for lying...”

Parvati stared at McGonagall, horror struck, while Padma looked at her feet hoping the punishment was over. However, they had no such luck.

“…and a detention each. I will not accept rule breaking no matter how old you are. You’re sixth years, start acting like it!” she snapped. Whipping open the door, McGonagall sent the girls to their dormitories, warning them that fifty points each were at stake if they weren’t in bed in ten minutes’ time. Hurrying down the corridor, the sisters turned around the corner silently before they could breathe freely again.

“Why did you have to go and make up one of your crazy stories again?” snapped Padma, her foot still throbbing where Parvati had stamped on it.

“Don’t go blaming me for trying; your lips were sealed the whole time! One of us had to say something!”

“We could have escaped with just a detention, but thanks to you McGonagall took twenty points from Ravenclaw!”

“Oh calm your knickers, I’m sure your precious points will be restored tomorrow by some overenthusiastic first year,” sneered Parvati.

“That’s beside the point!” Padma said, blushing from noticing how geeky her last comment sounded.

“I’ve half a mind to forget about the whole switching places thing…” she then threatened, turning away from Parvati.

“Ok, ok, I’m sorry! I won’t get you into trouble again; I’m sorry!” gushed Parvati, clutching onto Padma’s robes and half choking her with the strength of her grasp. Realising her sister needed to breathe, Parvati released her and started to dust off Padma’s robes.

“Stop it!” said Padma angrily at Parvati’s prolonged dusting action. Grinning sheepishly, Parvati desisted and stepped away. Sighing and rubbing her temples, Padma slowly counted to ten. She usually had a sweet temper, but Parvati always seemed to evoke a maniacal anger in her with the smallest action.

“So, when are we going to release the jaybird?” Padma whispered melodramatically after she’d calmed down.

“Release the what now?!” said Parvati, one eyebrow raised.

“The jaybird! It’s a code name!”

“For what? Your sanity?”

“No!” snarled Padma, blushing.

“Oh yeah, you lost that years ago…” stated Parvati matter-of-factly.

“Parvati! I mean when are we going to put the plan into action?”

“No time like the present,” whispered Parvati with a devilish grin

“You mean…right now?” Padma said warily.

“Of course, just tell me how to get to the Gryffindor common room and your password and I’ll tell you mine.”

Padma looked at Parvati hesitantly, suddenly wishing she hadn’t agreed to this practical joke. What if the school finds out and we’re kicked out? thought Padma suddenly, feeling very worried. Or what if Parvati decides she doesn’t want to switch back and I have to force her to by telling everyone what we did? Then Padma gasped, thinking of the worst possible outcome: What if Andrew finds out and dumps me because I lied? This last thought made Padma’s blood run cold and sent a shiver down her spine. Thinking about life without Andrew chilled Padma to the bone.

Padma looked fearfully at Parvati, on the verge of breaking her promise, but on seeing the excited glint in Parvati’s eye and the wide smile that had spread across her face, Padma couldn’t ring herself to ruin her sister’s plan.

“Ok,” she said resignedly, and after exchanging the information, Parvati set off to the Ravenclaw dormitories without a glance behind her. Padma stood in silence for a few seconds trying to see the enormity of what she had just agreed to, but her thoughts were interrupted by the unmistakeable sound of Professor McGonagall’s footsteps approaching. Ducking into the shadows, Padma ran to Gryffindor Tower, praying that the Fat Lady was still awake.

“Password?” said the Fat Lady languidly, looking down upon the panting figure of Padma.

“Err…wolfsbane!” yelped Padma after a momentary memory loss.

“Correct,” said the Fat Lady, swinging forward to admit her, “but don’t think I didn’t realise you’re ten minutes later turning up than what Professor McGonagall told you!” Stumbling through the portrait hole, Padma raced up the stairs to look for her dormitory. Several wrong doors later, Padma crept into her new bed silently so as not to wake the others in the room. Curling up into a ball, Padma fell into a doze.

What have I let myself in for? she thought fearfully, then gratefully let the much needed sleep consume her.
Chapter 4-Where Am I? by nickynackyneevy38
Author's Notes:
thanks for reading my fic everyone, i really appreciate it so much. I hope you don't mind having to wait for a while until the next chapter, doing a lot of exams so i'll need all the revision time i can get! Please R&R no matter what to say i always reply and take your comments on board! thanks! :)
Where am I?

Parvati swiftly sat up in her bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Only it wasn’t her bed she had been sleeping in… it was her sister’s. Suddenly, all of the previous night’s events flooded into Parvati’s mind and she clutched her mouth to stifle her gasp. Oh my goodness, what have I done?? she thought, and then quickly came to her senses when she saw a pillow being fired in her direction. Quick as lightening, she sprung from the bed, and with a deafening screech, Parvati karate-chopped the pillow away from her, sending clouds of feathers floating around the room. Heather, who had thrown the pillow, and Maria screamed and jumped onto Heather’s bed. Still in fighting stance, Parvati quickly assessed the situation. She was standing stock still, hand outstretched in a karate-chop, while her new roommates were staring at her, petrified, from on top of the bed. Quick! Think of something fast! Parvati said to herself, realising this could blow her cover instantly.

“Where did you learn to do that?” said Maria in a strained whisper.

“I thought it was Parvati who had taken the karate classes last summer, not you. Didn’t you take the flower arranging course? You know, so you could make beautiful bouquets?” said Heather, staring all the while at Parvati as if she was a ticking time bomb that might explode at any minute.

Padma took FLOWER ARRANGING classes?! thought Parvati incredulously, Oh wait until Andrew gets wind of this! Looks like I got some blackmail leverage here! . Grinning wickedly, Parvati rubbed her hands together, cackling all the while. That is, until she realised Heather and Maria were staring at her once again. Darn! I have to ensure I keep my scheming to when I’m alone. Coughing self consciously, Parvati flicked her hair and said in a voice quite unlike herself, “So girls, have any juicy gossip to tell me? I haven’t had a good gossip in, like, forever!”

What am I doing?! Parvati thought, stunned by how bad her acting was. Both Heather and Maria luckily didn’t seem to be listening to her, as they were busy whispering with their backs turned to Parvati. Hang on, thought Parvati, aware that she was being ignored, why aren’t they paying attention to me? I’m - well Padma is - supposed to be their friend! They are so rude! Angrily, Parvati got up, intend on giving the two girls a piece of her mind when suddenly they both whipped around and shouted, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PADMA!”

Parvati faltered, taking in the two party hats they sported and the rather large presents they held in their hands.

“We took the liberty of gathering all your presents from your friends and relatives so you could open them all here!” Heather said happily, dumping the large pile of presents of Padma’s bed.

Oh no! thought Parvati, throwing open her bedside drawer to find a pair of socks to put on, I didn’t get Padma a birthday present! She’s going to kill me! And just as Parvati went to close the drawer, a little box sitting in the corner caught her eye. Carefully taking out the box, Parvati saw the gift tag attached to it. It read, To Parvati, Happy Birthday! Love from Padma xo. For the first time since Parvati had woken up, she suddenly felt guilty for coming up with this plan. Here she was, holding her own present from her sister and she hadn’t even remembered to get one for Padma in return. Parvati’s expression turned from guilt to enlightenment.

I’ll tell Padma that my gift is hidden and she can’t retrieve it until we change places again because it’s hidden somewhere she can’t possibly get to! Amazed at her brilliance, Parvati beamed whilst pulling on her robes and running out of the dormitory.

“What do you suppose has gotten into her?” Heather asked Maria, one eyebrow raised. Maria shook her head staring out the doorway through which Parvati had just run.

“I’ve no idea, but I hope she realises she’s late for meeting Andrew; he won’t like that.” And with that, the two girls linked arms and walked out of the dormitory, closing the door behind them.

************************************************************************


Oh no, I’m late!! Andrew’s going to kill me! Padma threw off her bed covers and jumped out of bed, stumbling as she attempted to put a cardigan on as trousers.

“What ARE you doing, Parvati?!” asked Lavender sleepily, who’d been watching Padma’s efforts from her bed. She took pity on her when Padma tripped and fell over her chest at the bottom of the bed so only her legs were seen flying through the air.

“Are you ok? You seem a little…well, Confunded,” Lavender said as she helped Padma to her feet, sitting her on the bed to ensure she didn’t cause herself any more harm.
“I bet it was that Jake Underwood. He probably wanted revenge on you for breaking up with him. Who knew he was allergic to the bag of “’pollogy peanuts” you sent him?”

Padma choked on the glass of water she had picked up from her dresser and stared at Lavender open mouthed. Parvati had been going out with Jake? And SHE broke up with HIM? Why didn’t she tell me? she thought indignantly while Lavender stared at her warily.

“Parvati, are you ok? You really don’t seem like yourself today,” she said concernedly, feeling her head for a temperature.

“I’m fine, it’s ok, I was just a little confused, that’s all.”

“Well here’s my present for you! Don’t open it until you get to the Great Hall, you’ll see why later...” said Lavender mysteriously.

“Oh… thanks” said Padma, warily taking the gift handed to her, and with that, Padma pulled on her robes and went to walk out of the dormitory. That is, until Lavender called her back.

“What about your karate exercises? Are you not going to do them before you go?”

“Oh, yeah…right…eh…” Padma began hopping round the room making unusual war cries, occasionally firing out a hand or foot in a way she thought was menacing. At a look from Lavender she stopped what she was doing.

“What? What is it?”

“Oh, it’s nothing; it’s just that you don’t seem to have a clue what you’re doing. Are you not going to do your press ups and then your katas? Isn’t that what you usually do?” Padma’s eyes opened wide in horror. Press up?? Is Parvati KIDDING? Back in her old muggle school, Padma had always come last in her gym class, never managing to complete one full circuit in the circuit training. The thought of having to do press ups was like suggesting that she abseil down the North Tower. I have to do it if I want to make Lavender believe I’m Parvati, she thought, and so with great difficulty, Padma got down into the press up position and began the tiring work.

“…One,” she gasped, after slowly bending her arms and grunting in pain. She tried to do the same again but managed only to fall flat on her face.

“How many of these do I do again?” Padma asked, though her voice was slightly muffled from the carpet.

“Fifty. Same amount every day,” Lavender said, in a wary voice, slightly concerned about how Parvati was acting.

Fifty?! Forget this! Padma thought, her arms feeling like jelly. “I think I’ll just skip this workout for today, I think Jake must have Confunded me; see, I can’t even walk straight,” Padma said, purposefully walking into the doorframe to prove her point. That better not leave a bruise, she thought, rubbing her forehead were she had banged it.

“Here, let me help you down to the Great Hall; we don’t want you falling down all those stairs now do we?” And with that, Lavender hooked Padma’s elbow through her arm, and marched her down the stairs and out through the common room.

This undercover malarkey is harder than I expected, Padma thought whilst Lavender rambled on about Divination. I need to get out of here quick! she then thought and after uttering a hurried goodbye to Lavender, Padma sprinted down to the Great Hall in search of her sister. When she arrived, she was annoyed to see Parvati surrounded by gifts and sporting an elaborate party hat that flashed “PADMA’S NUMBER ONE” in different colours. Grabbing her sister by the scruff of the neck, Padma pulled Parvati out of the Great Hall.

“What’s all this?! Why are you showing off all these presents at the table? We’re supposed to be each other and in case you didn’t notice, I am not the type of person to display my presents for everyone to see!” she growled, hands on her hips. Parvati unwillingly removed her hat and grumbled under her breath.

“I’d also like to add that you did NOT warn me that I would have to work out every morning doing press ups and katas, whatever they are! I nearly blew our cover!” Padma hissed, glaring at Parvati, who was smirking.

“I must have forgotten to mention that detail. Oh, well, you just move around slowly breathing in and out in a controlled way; Lavender won’t know the difference. The press ups are your own problem. You’ll just have to get used to them!” Parvati gabbled, smiling mischievously at her sister. Padma glared at her whilst rubbing her arm which already ached from the single press up she’d done earlier.

“I hope this “practical joke” works out, because if it doesn’t, boy are you going to pay.” And with that last threat, Padma threw on an expression of nonchalance and walked back into the Great Hall, only changing her course to the Ravenclaw table at the last moment when she noticed the expressions of those seated.

Giggling, Parvati walked to her seat at the Ravenclaw table beside Heather. This is going to liven up life here to say the least! she thought, turning her attentions towards Andrew, who was smiling at her from across the way.
Confusion and Jealousy by nickynackyneevy38
Author's Notes:
next chapter finally up! sorry for the wait, it took a little longer than expected to write because of exams etc. please Read and Review! it's always appreciated! :)

“Are you coming down to the Quidditch pitch with me now, Padma?”

Parvati jumped out of her seat and, nervously flicking her hair, turned to face the green-eyed boy before her.

“Why yes, Andrew, of course!” she beamed, clasping his hand and drawing closer to him. A flash of uncertainty crossed Andrew’s eyes, but it was gone before Parvati noticed it. Smiling down at her, Andrew lead the way out of the Great Hall, not noticing the glare Padma was casting the pair from the Gryffindor table. Parvati glanced back at her and winked mischievously, relishing the power she had at this moment. Just to incense her sister, Parvati reached up and kissed Andrew on the cheek, much to his surprise.

“What was that for?” he asked, smiling down at Parvati.

“Oh nothing, I’m just happy to see you,” Parvati answered, grinning toothily back at him. “I’ve missed you, sweetie.” Andrew drew Parvati closer to him and squeezed her to him affectionately.

“I’ve missed you too, P,” he said, now clasping her hand in his. At this point they were outside in Hogwart’s grounds, steadily making their way towards the Quidditch pitch. Gosh, Padma is so lucky, thought Parvati, glancing up at Andrew’s handsome face. This guy is actually perfect; does he have no flaws? Suddenly, Andrew let out a ground-shaking belch, scaring off the birds in the tree closest to them.

“Sorry, P, I know how much you hate it when I do that. I ate too much at breakfast again; I never know when to stop!” said Andrew, embarrassed. Parvati stopped in her tracks and, closing her eyes tightly, she mustered up all of her energy and let out a belch to rival even that of Andrew’s. Alarmed, Andrew took a step back to ensure he wasn’t in any danger of being knocked over. After Parvati’s belch, there was an uneasy silence. Parvati and Andrew stared at each other, both unsure what to do. Suddenly, at the exact same moment, they both burst out laughing, clutching onto each other for support.

“The look on your face!” wheezed Parvati, trying to control herself while Andrew continued to howl with laughter.

“My face! I’ve never seen you concentrate so much in order to relieve yourself! You usually just hold it all in!”

“I’ve always let it all-” Parvati stopped, forgetting herself. Parvati, just give yourself a shake! You nearly blew the cover again! she thought, and stopped laughing. She watched Andrew uncertainly, unsure as to whether he noticed her slip up. The laughter had not quite died from Andrew’s face when a look of concern flitted across his chiselled features.

“Padma honey, is everything alright?” The concern in his voice nearly caused Parvati to tell him the truth. What am I doing? thought Parvati, uncertain again. Andrew is Padma’s boyfriend, not mine; I can’t just start falling for him now! It would be unfair to him.

“No, nothing’s wrong, I’m fine,” she lied, not quite meeting his eyes. Parvati felt Andrew’s warm hand upon her face as he turned her head towards him.

“You don’t have to lie to me, P, you know that,” he whispered, his sparkling eyes filled with concern. Oh Padma, you really have the most amazing boyfriend, Parvati thought sadly, staring up at Andrew. I wish Dean would look at me like that, or anyone else for that matter.

“Come here, Padma,” Andrew whispered. Parvati felt herself being pulled close to Andrew. Lifting up her head, she felt her face drawn towards his, their faces so close, their lips nearly touching…

*****************


“Go on, Parvati, open the present now!”

Lavender nudged Padma, knocking her out of her fantasy where she was beating Parvati round the head with her broomstick.

“What? Oh!” Realisation dawned on Padma’s face as she remembered, and she took the gift Lavender had given her earlier out of her pocket. Warily, she shook it, trying to guess what was inside. Despite herself, Padma was excited. She usually had to tell Heather and Maria exactly what she wanted for her birthday; it was surprising how much she enjoyed not knowing what she was going to get.

“You’ll never guess… you may as well open it!” Lavender urged her, excitedly watching Padma’s every move. With trembling fingers, Padma pulled at the wrapping paper, delicately removing it without tearing it. The box inside shivered as she held it as if it too was excited. Shakily, Padma took off the lid and peered inside. With a gasp, she took the present from the box and set it on the table in front of her.

“Oh thank you, Lavender! That was so lovely of you!” Padma beamed, pulling Lavender into a hug. The present Lavender had given Padma was a Pygmy Puff, which had already begun humming contentedly as Padma stroked it. She giggled as it moved toward her, affectionately nudging her arm.

“Why did you get me a Pygmy Puff?” she asked, smiling down at her new pet.

“I saw you staring at a fifth year’s one, so I just thought you might like to have one for yourself,” Lavender said, shrugging and smiling. Padma grinned back at her, happy in the realisation that Lavender wasn’t the rude, obnoxious person she previously thought her to be.

“Come on, best go back to the Common Room and get this summer homework started,” Lavender said, getting up from the table.

“Excuse me?” cried Padma indignantly, staring at Lavender as if she were mad. “I’ve done all my homework already!”

“What are you talking about, Parvati? You told me last week you hadn’t done a thing yet,” Lavender said, staring accusingly at Padma, trying to work out if she was joking around.

“Oh, right, yes, THAT homework!” Padma laughed breezily, trying to hide her anger at Parvati while joining Lavender as they walked towards the Gryffindor Tower. The little witch has left me to do all her work like a regular Cinderella! Well, I’ll show her; the wicked stepmother in the story didn’t turn into a toad by herself! she thought, remembering the altered Muggle fairytale.

Padma walked in silence beside her, letting Lavender’s chatter wash over her. When they reached the Gryffindor Common Room, Padma rushed to her dormitory, only once opening the wrong door, and collected the unfinished homework of her sister’s. Weighed down by the books, she waddled down the stairs and sat in one of the armchairs nearest the fire. Opening the first book on her lap, Padma looked upon the unfinished potions essay with a groan.

“I know, Snape wants it done for the next class. We better get it started or it’ll be detention for us again,” Lavender said, staring despairingly down at her own essay.

Padma was just about to dip her quill in her ink pot when a piece of parchment fluttered from the Potions book she’d been holding. Reaching down to pick it up, Padma noticed it was in Parvati’s handwriting and there appeared to be hearts decorating it. What’s this then? Padma thought, a cunning grin spreading across her features. A little love letter for a certain Dean? And indeed it was just that; a love letter that was obviously not sent for fear of an answer. However, Padma was listening to the little devil on her shoulder now, telling her to post it. Oh dear, looks like I’ll have to send this letter for my dear Parvati! With a hurried explanation to Lavender, Padma swooped out of the Common Room and walked briskly towards the Owlery, a wicked smile plastered across her features and a glint in her eye.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=59490