Can We Survive? by tonks_the_dreamer
Summary: Tonks and Remus love each other, but Remus has been afraid of hurting Tonks, so for a long time he denied his feelings for her. Now that they've put their issues aside, they're married and happy, but for how long? Voldemort is rising in power by the day, threatening to destroy good magic. Will Tonks and Remus be able to survive the battle?
Categories: Remus/Tonks Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 10723 Read: 32892 Published: 11/10/06 Updated: 02/07/08

1. Prologue by tonks_the_dreamer

2. Chapter 1 by tonks_the_dreamer

3. Chapter 2 by tonks_the_dreamer

4. Chapter 3 by tonks_the_dreamer

5. Chapter 4 by tonks_the_dreamer

6. Chapter 5 by tonks_the_dreamer

7. Chapter 6 by tonks_the_dreamer

8. Chapter 7 by tonks_the_dreamer

Prologue by tonks_the_dreamer
Prologue

“Tonks, I don’t want to hurt you!” he shouted.

“I know you don’t! But you won’t!” I shouted back.

“How do you know? How do you know that I won’t forget the potion one day and turn on you?”

“Because I know you, you don’t forget!”

“I forgot in Harry’s third year when we were with Sirius!”

“You had a lot on your mind then,” I muttered

“I have a lot on my mind now,” he countered.

“Remus, I love you,” I sighed.

He said nothing, turned and Apparated, leaving me behind, feeling rejected and depressed.

That day was the worst day of my life. I had told the man I loved my feelings for him, and he left me standing in the dust. That was the year all hell broke loose. Voldemort was rising in power, the Order was working harder than ever, and some of the Aurors, including myself, were called to guard Hogwarts.



The train pulled into Hogsmeade station, whistling and steaming. I watched all the students get off the train and into the carriages. I saw Hermione, Ron and Ginny, but never saw Harry get off. I figured he might be with Slughorn ” Molly said he always picked favorites and had meetings or what not with them and Harry was bound to be one of them ” but when I saw Slughorn get off, I began to worry. The Malfoy boy had come off long after all his friends, smirking, which was not a good sign. So, as soon as everyone was gone, I headed onto the train.

I came to a compartment with the blinds drawn down, which was odd. I opened the door, but nothing was there. Harry always had his Invisibility Cloak with him, so I guessed he was underneath it. I felt around the floor for a little while until I hit a body. The cloak came off and I muttered a spell to unbind his limbs.

“Wotcher, Harry,” I greeted.

Harry wiped the blood from his face and looked up at me.

“We’d better get out of here, quickly,” I said. The train was beginning to move again. “Come on, we’ll jump.”

I ran into the corridor, Harry following behind me, pulled open the train door and leapt onto the platform.

“Who did it?” I demanded.

“Draco Malfoy,” Harry replied coldly. “Thanks for... well...”

“No problem,” I replied. “I can fix your nose if you stand still.”

Harry stood still, and I said, “Episkey!”

“Thanks a lot!” Harry beamed at me.

“You’d better put that cloak back on, and we can walk up to the school,” I replied, unsmiling.

I waved my wand and my Patronus, a large misshapen dog, shot out of it, letting Hagrid know I had him.

“Was that a Patronus?” Harry asked.

“Yes, I’m sending work to the castle that I’ve got you, or they’ll worry. Come on, we’d better not dawdle.”

“How did you find me?”

“I noticed you hadn’t left the train, and I knew you had that cloak. I thought you might be hiding for some reason. When I saw the blinds drawn down on that compartment, I thought I’d check.”

“But what are you doing here, anyway?” Harry asked me.

“I’m stationed in Hogsmeade now, to give the school extra protection,” I replied.

“Is it just you who’s stationed up here, or-”

“No, Proudfoot, Savage, and Dawlish are here too.”

“Dawlish, that Auror Dumbledore attacked last year?”

“That’s right.”

We walked up the rest of the path in silence, following the tracks of the carriages. I could feel his eyes on me, he was wondering what happened to me. I could tell by the look he had given me back at the station. Of course, he hadn’t known that I was like this because of Remus, but I wasn’t in the mood to talk about it.

We reached the gates, which were closed. Harry pulled out his wand and said, “Alohomora!”

“That won’t work on these,” I informed him. “Dumbledore bewitched them himself.”

“I could climb a wall.”

“No, you couldn’t. Anti-intruder jinxes on all of them. Security’s been tightened a hundredfold this summer.”

“Well then,” Harry growled, “I suppose I’ll just have to sleep out here and wait for morning.”

“Someone’s coming down for you,” I pointed out. “Look.”

The figure came down, and soon I realized it was Snape coming. Ugh.

“Well, well, well,” Snape sneered. “Nice of you to turn up, Potter, although you have evidently decided that the wearing of the school robes would detract from your appearance.”

“I couldn’t change, I didn’t have my-”

“There is no need to wait, Nymphadora, Potter is quite- ah - safe in my hands,” Snape said.

I hated that guy. Couldn’t he just call me Tonks?

“I meant Hagrid to get the message,” I frowned.

“Hagrid was late for the start-of-term feast, just like Potter here, so I took it instead. And, incidently, I was interested to see your new Patronus. I think you were better off with the old one. The new on looks weak.”

Snape and Harry left for the feast and I went back to my job, ignoring Snape’s words.



The school term started, and before any of us knew it, it was close to the end of the year. But the final exams never came, due to Dumbledore’s death and Snape turning on us.

In the battle at the school, Bill had been hurt by Greyback and Fleur still wanted to marry him!

“You see!” I glared at Remus. “She still wants to marry him, even though he’s been bitten! She doesn’t care!”

“It’s different,” Remus muttered, “Bill will not be a full werewolf. The cases are completely-”

“But I don’t care either, I don’t care!” I yelled, grabbing Remus by the collar of his robes and shaking him. “I’ve told you a million times...”

“And I’ve told you a million times,” Remus avoided my eyes, “that I am too old for you, too poor... too dangerous...”

“I’ve said all along, you’re taking a ridiculous line on this, Remus,” Molly told him.

“I am not being ridiculous,” Remus replied. “Tonks deserves somebody young and whole.”

“But she wants you,” Arthur countered, “And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so.”

After Dumbledore’s funeral, Remus came and found me. I was a complete and total wreck, as was expected. He apologized for being a prat, and asked if I would forgive him. I told him I would.

Bill recovered nicely, and he and Fleur married a week later.

The wedding was beautiful and everyone was there. Molly was in tears, because her son was getting married or because he was marrying Fleur, I was not sure. My hair was once again pink and I was in a much better mood.

I think my face turned the same color as my hair when Remus got down on his knee and asked me to marry him.

And that brings me to today, the day before my wedding day. Everyone was here for the rehearsal dinner. It was great fun. Mum and Dad started crying near the end, but we were able to cheer them up.

I think Remus has gotten over his fear of hurting me. At least I hope he has. Well, I’d better get to bed, big day tomorrow. I can’t wait!
Chapter 1 by tonks_the_dreamer
Okay, yes, I know it’s been a few months since I last wrote, but things have been busy.
McGonagall offered me a job as Transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts, and asked Remus to come back and teach Defense Against the Dark Arts again.
The students’ Hogsmeade trips had been canceled, due to You-Know-Who’s rise in power.
Harry, Ron and Hermione decided not to come back to Hogwarts. They were out searching for the remaining Horcruxes (The rest of the Order was informed about them after Dumbledore’s funeral). Last I had heard, they hadn’t found any yet...
The school seemed so different without Dumbledore. At the start of term feast, when McGonagall went up to make an announcement, the students fell silent immediately. It was a grave silence, one you would expect to hear at a funeral. There were not very many first years coming in. Parents were probably worried and scared to send their children off.
Even the Sorting Hat seemed different than I remembered. This is what it said:
Much time has passed
Since I was made
A thousand years or more ago
When four wise ones
Built a school that’s standing to this day
Each taught students
All so different
But still so much alike
The cunning went to Slytherin
Who taught them all he knew
And the Brave to Gryffindor
Who built them strong and true
The cleverest belonged to Ravenclaw
Who kept them sharp and bright
And all the rest to Hufflepuff
Who showed them what was right.
I have said
One time before
That dividing you is wrong
When in this time you must be one
To become strong
Now that you’ve lost a wise old friend
It will take all you have
To gain victory in the end.

McGonagall said it was the shortest song the hat ever sang. It got the message across though. But apparently the seventh years weren’t listening.
My first class of the year, the next day, started off quite... interestingly.
My seventh year classes are doubled, and my first one was Gryffindor and Slytherin. When I got in the room, a few of them were fighting. The yelling grew louder as more and more people joined in the verbal fight.
“Oy!” I yelled over the noise when I walked into the room. “That’s enough! I’m talking now.”
“And you are?” a Slytherin girl shot back at me.
“Professor Tonks,’ I replied. I had decided to keep my maiden name so not to be confused with Remus. “Now, just to give a little background info, I’m an Auror and a metamorphmagus, which means I can change my appearance at will. Like this-” I morphed my face to look like the Slytherin girl who had snapped at me. There were a few “wow’s” and “oo’s”, then I put a giant wart on the tip of my nose, still keeping the girl’s appearance.
All the Gryffindors laughed, and some of the Slytherins sneered in the direction of the girl.
I morphed my face back to normal. “See?”
One of the students raised her hand. “Can you teach us to do that?”
“Sadly, no. Being a metamorphmagus is a gift you’re born with. You can’t learn it. But, I will be teaching you other ways to change the way you look.”
After that I seemed to grab the attention of most of the class. Except the girl I had morphed into.
“How’d your first day go?” Remus asked at dinner.
“Suddenly, I have a lot more respect for my old teachers,” I laughed.
He smiled. “Tough time?”
“No, just... well, yeah.”
“It gets better.”
“If you say so.”
The rest of the week crawled by, as the tension between the Slytherins and Gryffindors rose. It was getting ridiculous, I was sure that within two months, I would loose my voice from having to yell so much.
“How do I get control of them?” I asked Remus one day after a particularly nasty fight between Seamus Finnigan and Pansy Parkinson.
“Start threatening detentions,” he replied.
I sighed and put my head on my desk. I had a splitting headache.
“You need to relax,” he said, wrapping his arms around me from behind. “Come with me to Hogsmeade tomorrow. It’ll take your mind of all this.”
“Alright...” I sighed, I still had one last class to teach. Luckily it was first years, they were easy.
The next day, I met Remus after breakfast at the front doors, and we walked down to Hogsmeade together.
Even though it was only a few days into October, it was unusually cold out. The grounds were covered in dead leaves that crackled under out feet.
I pulled my cloak tighter around me, hoping it would help to warm me up. Remus opened his cloak and pulled me inside with him, keeping his arm around my shoulders lovingly. That, of course, did not last very long. I eventually tripped over his feet and the two of us fell onto the ground.
I turned a bright shade of pink and smiled apologetically.
“It’s fine, Tonks,” Remus laughed. He leaned in and kissed my cheek, then helped me up. “Are you okay?”
“Yeah.” I kissed him back.
He put his hands on my hips and I pressed mine against his neck as we stood, snogging, in the cold October weather. My eyes closed, and my mouth opened, inviting him to take a step further. He took the invitation and his tongue explored my mouth as my hands ran through his hair, down his neck and onto his back.
“Thanks...” I said, my eyes still closed.
“You’re welcome,” he whispered.
I smiled at him, and he took my hand, leading me Hogsmeade.
Once we got there, we sat in Three Broomsticks, talking and laughing over butterbeer. He was right. I did need to get out more.
BAM! An explosion went off down the street.
“Stay here,” Remus instructed.
“You’re delusional, Remus, if you think I’m going to stay here and wait for you to come back.”
He sighed and we ran out down the street to the source of the noise.
A crowd of panicked people ran past us as a group of Death Eaters, who were lead by Bellatrix Lestrange, sent spells flying at anyone they could see.
Aurors arrived on the scene soon after we got there.
Spells flew every which way, dust filled the air, and debris were spread on the ground around us. Through all that, I had lost Remus and began to panic, but not for long. Bellatrix had cornered me and was able to throw me back against the wall. But she didn’t do anything after that. Unless she used a non-verbal spell... She just stood there, looking at me.
After a while, there were too many Aurors, and the Death Eaters who hadn’t already been captured Apparated out.
Remus appeared somewhere among all the chaos.
“Are you okay?” he asked.
“Yeah... I think...” I said slowly. “It’s like she didn’t even want to do anything, she just stood there.”
“You still should go to the Hospital Wing, just in case.”
“Alright.”
He helped me up, but all of the sudden, when I stood up, my head started to spin and my legs felt like they had been put under a Jelly-Legs Jinx. Remus helped to support me, and brought me back to Hogwarts and into the Hospital Wing.
Madam Pomfrey looked over me, but couldn’t find any hex or jinx, so she just told me to rest a day or two.
“In a few days you should be back to normal,” she told me. “Just take it easy.”
I nodded.
But a voice in the back of my head told me I was in trouble. Big trouble.
Chapter 2 by tonks_the_dreamer
McGonagall called Remus and me into her office today. She said it was about the Order.

The Head’s office was so different. Dumbledore’s shelves with all the little instruments he used were all gone, Fawkes no longer sat next to his desk, everything was all in a different order, and there was a portrait of a sleeping Dumbledore on the wall with all the other Headmasters and Mistresses of the past.

“Nymphadora, Remus,” McGonagall greeted us as we walked in. “Have a seat.”

We sat, fearing the worst.

“I regret to tell you that we lost two Order members this week,” she started off.

“Who?” I asked.

“Shacklebolt and Doge,” she replied.

“What happened?” Remus asked.

“They were attacked by Death Eaters, taken captive, and we found their bodies yesterday near Grimmauld Place. The Killing Curse was their end.”

“That’s horrible...” I said quietly.

“And I’m sorry to tell you, Remus, that I do need you to go underground now... to recover any information you can...” she said sadly.

“What?” I gasped.

“I’m sorry,” she repeated, “but we need to find out anything we can.”

“What about here? We’ll be short one teacher!” I pointed out.

“I’ll take Transfiguration back over and you’ll move to Defense Against the Dark Arts,” she said calmly.

“But-”

“Nymphadora. You’re an Auror. I think you can handle it.”

I nodded. She either didn’t know what I was protesting about, or was ignoring it.

After that, we left for the Great Hall in silence.

I had no idea what to say. Remus had to go, but I didn’t want to let him. I was so afraid of losing him. But I knew I had to keep it together. At least for him.

I said nothing during dinner, afraid that if I opened my mouth to speak, I’d just start crying and attract attention to myself. I stared at my plate and picked at my food, only eating a few bites. The horrible feeling in my stomach was too much, I felt if I ate anything, I would end up in the bathroom vomiting a few minutes later.

“Tonks,” Remus said gently near the end of the feast, “c’mon.”

I looked up at him and he led me down the corridor into his office.

By the time we got into his office, I couldn’t hold it in any longer, the tears started pouring out of my eyes.

“Remus...” I managed through uncontrolled sobs. “You can’t leave...”

He wrapped his arms around me. “I have to.”

I buried my face in his robes, never wanting to let go. Never.

“Tonks,” he said after a moment.

I looked up into his prematurely aging face. His eyes were glistening with tears too. I couldn’t take it, everything was happening too fast. McGonagall told him he wouldn’t have to go underground because we had enough members working on information. Then we lost two of them, and Remus suddenly had to leave to go live with other werewolves working for Voldemort.

He leaned in closer to me until our lips met. He tasted like pumpkin juice, and smelled like the Great Hall. My mind went blank at that moment, and all that was running through my mind was how much I loved him.

I ran my fingers through his soft hair, and he wrapped his arms around my waist tighter, pulling me closer to him. My chest was pressed close to his, and I could feel his heartbeat. I wanted to freeze time, to make the moment last forever, so I would never have to see him leave.

Still kissing me, he picked me up and carried me into the bedroom where we spent our last night together.

______________________________________________________________________________

The next day, Remus started getting ready to leave. He planned on leaving that afternoon, and all I could do was help him pack.

“But... Remus, what if-”

“Tonks, please. Don’t make this any harder on us,” Remus mumbled.

“But-”

“Tonks.”

I sighed and closed his suitcase. “I’m just scared. I don’t want to lose you.”

“You’re not going to lose me,” he smiled wearily. “I’ll be back before you know it.”

He waved his wand and all his things shrank so he could fit them into his pocket.

I tried to swallow the lump forming in my throat. I couldn’t fall apart again. I had to let him leave. He had to go, for the Order.

I looked down at my feet as I realized this and softly said, “Goodbye...”

Remus tilted my chin to look up at him. “Bye, Tonks. I’ll see you soon.”

No he won’t. He’s leaving you, a voice said in the back of my head.

He kissed my cheek one more time, and left .

The voice in my head started talking again. It said, Forget him, Tonks. He’s not worth it. He’s leaving you. He won’t come back for you.

I shook my head and forced the voice, or thought, or whatever it was, out of my head.

“He’ll come back,” I said aloud to myself. “I know he will.”

For the next two weeks, the voice kept coming back, getting more negative every time. I started talking back to it. Telling it to stop, to go away, or to shut up, but it kept talking.

The third week of it came around and I started getting dizzy and cramps started up in my stomach. I dismissed it at first because I thought I was just nervous that what the voice was saying was true, that Remus was not coming back. I thought it was go away after a while, but then, when it didn’t I went to Madam Pomfrey.

“Alright, Tonks,” she said, “what seems to be the problem?”

“I just feel awful. I get dizzy spells and cramps all the time...” I told her.

She checked me out, and the next day called me down to the Hospital Wing.

“Tonks...” she started.

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong, dear. You’re pregnant.”
Chapter 3 by tonks_the_dreamer
“Tonks...” she started.

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong, dear. You’re pregnant.”


______________________________________________________________________________

Pregnant... Pregnant! I thought that night. This can’t be happening! Not that it was a bad thing or anything, but I was so worried about the possibility of me raising a child alone. It scared me to death.

I thought about this all day as I taught class. But when it came to last hour, which consisted of the seventh year Slytherins and Gryffindors, I couldn’t stand listening to them fight back and forth. So I gave them a silent study period. That didn’t last long.

“Ow! Bloody hell, Goyle , quit it!” Sean snapped.

“What? I didn’t do anything!” Goyle responded.

“Yeah, ya did! Ya threw something at me!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“Enough!” I shouted over them. “I said this is a silent study session.”

Goyle gave me a resentful look, but they both fell silent.

I slouched in my chair and put my head in my hands. I was exhausted and scared. I had no idea what would happen. I didn’t know if Remus would come back any time soon. I couldn’t tell him that I was expecting, even if I could write to him, it would make him feel bad, he’d feel like he would have to come back immediately.

“Professor?” someone said softly.

I looked up. “Yes?”

“What’s wrong with your hair?”

I looked in a mirror and noticed my hair was slowly fading back to my natural, ugly, mousy brown hair. It was also slowly losing it’s spike, as it began to sadly fall limp against my face. I was getting to stressed out, and my power was beginning to suffer.

It’s all his fault, the voice said. He left you like this. You know it. He did this to you. He left you, and now you’re going to have to raise his child all on your own, Nymphadora, and you know it.

“Professor?”

“I’m just a little stressed out, is all,” I told whoever was asking questions.

That night, at dinner, I asked McGonagall if I could speak to her in her office later.

“What’s going on, Nymphadora?” she asked once we were inside.

“I need to speak to Remus,” I blurted out.

“It’s a little dangerous to contact him right now,” she fixed me with the all too familiar stern stare I used to get as a student.

“I know... but it’s important.”

“What is that important?”

“I’m... I’m pregnant...” I said softly, looking at the floor.

“You’re acting as though this is a bad thing.”

“I just need to tell Remus.”

“This isn’t a bad thing, you know?”

“What if I have to raise the child on my own? Then it’s a bad thing.”

“But you won’t have to. Write a letter to Remus, I’ll send it out in the morning.”

“Thanks...”

I left the office and went back to my own room. I sat at the desk and pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill.

Dear Remus,
Something’s happened... Something good... I’m pregnant.


“No.” I crumpled up the paper and started a new letter.

Dear Remus,
Great news!


“No!” I crumpled that letter too.

Dear Remus,

I’m pregnant, it’s your fault and you’re probably not going to make it back to help me take care of it, thanks,
the voice said.

“No, no, no!”

Dear Remus,
I wish I could have told you this in person, but this will have to do. It’s nothing bad. In fact, it’s great! I’m going to have a baby! I just found out today, and wanted to let you know as soon as I could.
I hope everything is alright over there. Hope I see you soon!

Love,
Tonks


I didn’t put in the little bit about me having troubles morphing. I didn’t want him to get upset, so I tried to make the letter as light-hearted as possible. I knew he would feel guilty leaving me alone right now, and that the child might inherit Remus’s “curse” as he calls it.

We had talked about having children before. He told me he was worried about hurting a child. When I told him we would keep that from happening, he asked what would happen if the kid was a werewolf.

Remus hard time finding work and fitting in because of his... disability, and he didn’t want to make anyone else go through that. We had discussed adoption, but never decided on anything.

For a minute, I considered not sending him the letter at all, but I knew he needed to know, so I folded the letter and took it back to McGonagall’s office.

______________________________________________________________________________


Dear Remus,
I wish I could have told you this in person, but this will have to do. It’s nothing bad. In fact, it’s great! I’m going to have a baby! I just found out today, and wanted to let you know as soon as I could.
I hope everything is alright over there. Hope I see you soon!

Love,
Tonks

She’s pregnant. Tonks is pregnant.


I couldn’t get those words out of my head as I read that letter.

What if I didn’t get back? What if the child wass a werewolf too? What if I couldn’t keep a job? All these things were problems. I knew she wouldn’t want me to get upset or feel guilty, but I did.

I love her and I want her to be happy, and she wants to have children but...

“What’s that?”

My train of thought was interrupted by another werewolf, she was pointing at the letter from Tonks.

“Nothing, Kris.” I stowed the letter into my pocket and turned to look at her. “Don’t you have something else to do?”

“No. I’m kind of bored.”

“Well go find something else to do,” I told her firmly.

“There is nothing else to do,” she whined. “C’mon. Tell me, who’s the letter from?”

I didn’t exactly trust her. She was new around here, newer than I was, and she didn’t seem like the type of person who would keep a secret well. She hadn’t shown a side yet, but I didn’t think she was all that bad. If she was tortured though, I was certain she would give me away.

“I told you. It’s none of your business.”

“Aw, c’mon, Moony. Please?

I used to nick name underground, I was afraid if I gave away my real name, people would get suspicious.

“No, Kris.”

She pouted at me. “Fine.”

She reminded me of Tonks some times, especially because she was persistent as hell.

I pulled out the letter and read it again. I traced Tonks’ signature with my finger. She used pink ink. It looks like she was nervous. There are a few dots on the left side of the D in ‘Dear”, like she wasn’t sure how to tell me. Or if she should have told me at all.

“Love Tonks. Who’s Tonks?”

Kris hadn’t gone away, and she had scared the crap out of me.

“Damn it, Kris!” I shouted.

“What?” she asked, her eyes big and pleading.

“You scared me.”

“Oh... sorry. Who’s Tonks?”

There was no way around this one. “My... a friend of mine.”

If anyone found out we were married, they’d target her to get to me.

“A friend who you got pregnant?” She raised her eyebrows at me.

“What makes you think I got her pregnant?”

“They way she wrote to you. It’s not too hard to tell, Moony. Or should I call you Remus.”
Chapter 4 by tonks_the_dreamer
“A friend who you got pregnant?” She raised her eyebrows at me.

“What makes you think I got her pregnant?”

“They way she wrote to you. It’s not too hard to tell, Moony. Or should I call you Remus.”


______________________________________________________________________________

“So, your real name’s not Moony.”

It wasn’t a question. Now I’d done it. I thought she might tell, so I tried to cover.

“It’s just a nick name, you know, like the story of Rome? I had a twin, and he found me when I was in my werewolf form after we had a fight about who owned my dad’s place. But when he came to apologize, I killed him,” the words shot out of my mouth as fast as they came to my brain. Thank God for history classes.

“You’re a really bad liar, Remus,” Kris said, looking at me funny. “So why change your name? Hiding something?”

“N-no,” I stammered.

“Liar.”

I sighed. “Promise you won’t tell anyone. I could get in a lot of trouble if the others found out who I was.”

“Oh, I won’t tell anyone. What do you take me for? An idiot?”

Yeah, she reminded me a lot of Tonks.

“So do you have a last name, Remus?”

“Will you stop calling me that? I’m trying to keep my identity hidden. Just call me Moony,” I snapped.

“Ah, staying incognito, are we?” She winked at me.

“Yes. And I can’t tell you my last name, someone might hear.”

“So write it down.”

“What if I drop the paper and someone finds it? Then they’ll go after... her to get to me.”

“You’re paranoid...” She paused and thought a moment. “Wait... I know who you are. You’re the Remus who worked for Dumbledore. You were Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher a few years back! I remember the picture! I thought I recognized you! You’re Remus Lu-”

I slapped my hand over her mouth. Someone could be hiding nearby, listening in on our conversation.

Don’t say anything more about me,” I hissed. “I’m here to work, and I can’t afford my cover to be blown.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll keep quiet, Moony.” She winked again, and for some reason, that put me at ease.


______________________________________________________________________________

The voice grew louder. I couldn’t stand it anymore. The things it said scared me. Not just about Remus, but about the Order. Every time I had to go to a meeting, it would get excited that I might be going to an Order meeting. And when I would actually be going to an Order meeting...

I had to talk to someone. I hadn’t told anyone yet. Christmas holiday was coming up soon, and we were all meeting at the Weasleys. Remus would be there. I’d talk to him about it when I saw him.

Remus. Just the sound of his name made my stomach do flips. In a good way, of course. I missed him so much, and I hoped he would be excited about our baby. We would have to start thinking of names!

Maybe after my dad, if it was a boy. Ted. Teddy Lupin.

The day I arrived at the Burrow, I was surprised to find that Harry, Ron and Hermione would not be joining us. Molly was really torn up about that. But as people started arriving, her spirits brightened a bit.

When Remus showed up, though, it was a different story. Not for Molly, for me. Why? Because there was a girl with him!

Remus smiled and walked over to me.

“Hi.” He hugged me and kissed the top of my head.

“Hi...” I returned the hug. “Who... Who’s that with you?”

“Her name is Kris. She’s a werewolf too. She had no where to go, no family or anything, so I invited her along.”

“Oh... okay...”

“Tonks,” he looked at me, his eyes almost pleading. “It’s not like that. She’s just a girl. Plus, I love you, and the fact that we’re having a baby proves that.”

We’re having a baby. We’re having a baby? He’s not the one getting fat and eventually having to go through the pain of birthing! And “just a girl”? Tonks, he thought you were just a girl! The man’s cheating on you and you know it!

“Yeah, sure...”

I didn’t know what to think. He told me one story, but my head told me another.

“Tonks. Trust me.” And right then, he kissed me. He kissed me like I would have killed for before we got married. One that told me he had missed me, that he had waited for this moment since the day he left.

I drank him in. I loved the man. For once, the voice was silent. Sweet silence. I was me again. No confusing voices, no troubles or cares in the world. Just me and him, together.

After we broke apart he said, “Hey, your hair’s pink again.”

I smiled. Of course it was. I was with him, and I was happy, but all that came out of my mouth was, “Yeah.”

We sat down for our “Welcome Dinner”, as Molly called it, Remus introduced Kris to us all, and, as soon as he could, Arthur took Remus aside. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but from the expression on Arthur’s face, it wasn’t a happy conversation.

After dinner, Molly showed us all to our rooms, Remus and I were sleeping in Fred and George’s old room.

“What was that about?” I asked Remus.

“What was what about?”

“At dinner, with Arthur.”

“Oh, he didn’t think it was smart to bring Kris to an Order ‘meeting’.”

I hated to not take Remus’s side but, “He’s kind of got a point. I mean, we don’t really know her, much less trust her.”

“Don’t worry about it, Tonks. She’ll be fine. You won’t even notice she’s here.”

I shrugged. “Okay.”

“So? Got any name ideas?” Remus asked, breaking an uncomfortable silence.

“I thought maybe Ted. Teddy Lupin, if it was a boy,” I replied, smiling.

“And if it’s a girl?”

“Haven’t really thought about it...”

“What about Nymphadora.”

I rolled my eyes in an extremely exaggerated fashion. “Oh, God no. I would never give someone that name. It’s just cruel.”

He laughed. “I always thought it was a good name. All the women I’ve ever known who have that name are beautiful people.”

“Remus, I’m the only women you’ve ever met with that name.” I raised my eyebrows at him, still smiling.

We fell asleep that night, both of us happier than we had been in a long time.

The next morning, Remus shook me gently until I was awake.

“Tonks?” he asked.

“Hm?”

“We should get up. There’s a meeting this morning.”

A meeting? Get up girl! It could be important! We have to know important things!

“Can’t we be a little late?” I mumbled.

“We’re already a little late.”

“Ugh...” I sat up and ran a hand through my hair, then laughed when I saw Remus. He had the worst case of bed head I had seen since I moved out of my parents’ house.

We walked downstairs and sat at the kitchen table as Molly put huge plates in front of us.

“Eat up,” she said.

“Thanks, Molly,” Remus said.

The rest of the Order members missing filled in after us, and when everyone was seated, Kingsley started the meeting off by saying, “We have estimated that You-Know-Who has at least twenty spies in the Ministry right now.”

There were groans and sighs of frustration.

Arthur and Kingsley started telling us a plan, mostly to do with the people who worked in the Ministry. We were to watch for strange activity by people in our departments, and listen for odd orders from department heads. Arthur said there was a high chance You-Know-Who would try to take over department heads.

I was only half listening, because, again, I was getting a splitting headache. The voice was talking again too.

You don’t really think the Ministry would find out if they had spies coming in? Come ON, they’re not that stupid... Well, maybe they are...

“Tonks? Are you all right, dear?” Molly asked.

I had groaned, and my head was in my hands.

“What? Yeah... I’ve just got a headache,” I said slowly.

“Why don’t you go lay down and I’ll bring you some soup?” Molly offered.

“That’d be great.”

I made my way up to the twin’s room and sat down on the bed.

The voice was laughing. I had no idea what was so damn funny, but It had obviously found my pain hilarious.

Molly came up with soup a few minutes later, telling me not to worry, that it was common in pregnancy to get headaches like I was getting. I nodded, thanked her for the soup, and she left.

After I finished the soup, I layed down and closed my eyes. That was when I learned something was really wrong.

I drifted off to sleep, and instantly, I started dreaming. I was with Remus, and he was holding our baby. It was a boy, and he was so cute. His hair was changing colours too! Then, the sky turned black and a ring of fire surrounded us! We tried Apparating out, but couldn’t. We were trapped.
Bellatrix Lestrange and several other hooded Death Eaters walked through the fire towards us. The grabbed us, and began to torture Remus and the baby. They made me watch. I tried fighting against the arms that held me, tried to get to Remus and my child. I screamed, flailed my arms and legs, but the Death Eaters wouldn’t let go. They made me watch.

Then, Bellatrix laughed at me and said, “They’re not worth it,” and laughed.

It was Bellatrix. Her’s was the voice that had been tormenting me for so long.

I was being shaken awake. Different hands were holding me, I saw, when I opened my eyes. They were Remus’ hands.

“Tonks! What’s wrong?” he asked, worry framing his face.

“N-nothing... just a bad dream.” Lots of people were in the room, watching me. I realized I was shaking, and my face was wet with tears.

Remus looked at the others and asked for them to leave. They left, and he turned to me. “What happened in your dream? You were screaming.”

“You were there, and the baby too. Then fire... and Death Eaters... and... and...” I broke down. I couldn’t take it. The voice, headaches, dreams, him not being there all the time, it all came rushing out of me in the form of tears and shaking. I buried my head in Remus’ robes and he held me as I cried for almost an hour.

“Shhh,” he told me a few times. “It’s all going to be okay. It was just a dream.”

I don’t know exactly what happened next, but I’ll describe it as well as I can.

There was a flash of light, but Remus must not have seen it, because he didn’t flinch, he just held me, after that, I don’t know what happened, but I do know, I was not in the same room anymore. I wasn’t at the Burrow anymore.

I was in a huge bedroom, sitting on the largest bed I’ve ever seen in my life. The bedposts were made of a dark wood, and carved into four snakes. The bedspread was silk, and a deep shade of green, as were the floor length curtains. The walls were covered in shelves holding instruments that I had never seen before.

“Looks like the spell worked for Bella,” a woman with bleach blonde hair said. “Welcome.”
Chapter 5 by tonks_the_dreamer
“Looks like the spell worked for Bella,” a woman with bleach blonde hair said. “Welcome.”

______________________________________________________________________________

“Not that we’re entirely happy that our blood traitor sister’s daughter is here, but who would keep you from ruining our plan?” the blonde woman said.

“You don’t think the others would notice if someone who looks an awful lot like Lestrange tried to pass herself off as me?” I demanded.

“She doesn’t look like you. She used a spell that works like Polyjuice Potion, only more effective, and longer lasting.”

“So, what’s your plan? To impersonate me until you get what you want? They’ll figure it out eventually.” I tried to sound confident, but I was freaking out.

“Not until we have what we want.”

“Um... I’m pregnant, how’re you planning to pull that off?”

“That’s what magic’s for, dear.”

I shuddered. Suddenly I didn’t really want to know how they were going to do that.

“Narcissa!” a voice from another room called.

She left me alone in the strange room.

A long time went by before anyone came back. A house elf came in with food, but left right away.

A few days went by, all of them the same. The house elves came in and out with food, but never saying a word.

I was going insane! I tried every spell I knew that I thought could get me out of there, but nothing worked!

Why hadn’t they killed me? What use was I to them?

I had time to think, and I needed to know what was going on.

If my theory was right, then the path Bellatrix had opened between our minds would work both ways. I would be able to see what was going on there through her eyes!

I closed my eyes and concentrated and there I was, in her mind.

“I’m going to miss you,” she was saying.

It was the day Remus was leaving!

“I’ll see you again soon,” he said, turning from his open suit case sitting on the chair.

Then, they started kissing!

It was as if she didn’t know me at all. She kissed him hard and aggressively, opening her mouth and tangling her tongue with his, playing with the gum he had been chewing.

And, as though he was under her spell, Remus started acting the same way! His hands felt her down until they reacher her butt, then he pulled her close to him. Her hands had started feeling her all over and eventually ran under his shirt, rubbing his back. It was disgusting!

I could hardly stand it when Remus started moving her toward the bed as he continued to explore her.

Just as I was ready to break the connection, someone knocked on the door.

Thank God, I thought.

Remus broke away, fixed his hair a bit and answered the door.

I cannot say how happy I was to hear Arthur tell him it was time for him and Kris to leave.

He looked a little disturbed as he closed the door. As though I, or rather Bellatrix, had just done something completely out of character.

Ha! I thought. I snog differently!

Thinking that was a mistake, I realized, because Bellatrix replied, I’ll remember that next time.

Next time? I thought. There couldn’t be a next time! Remus knew something wasn’t right... And why would she even kiss him? I thought they were all disgusted with “our lot”.

Remus...

I wondered if I could open a connection with him, like Bellatrix had done with me.

______________________________________________________________________________

Something was different with Tonks over Christmas. She was acting strange and I had no idea why. Maybe it was because of Kris, or maybe it was hormones or something because of the baby. Whatever it was, she was not acting normal. Especially when she kissed me...

“Um...” Kris said, “I don’t think Tonks liked me much...”

“I don’t think Tonks was quite herself, Kris,” I told her.

“What do you mean?”

“She was acting odd...”

“So she normally doesn’t act like a bitch?”

I gave her a stern look. “No.”

“Sorry...” she said sheepishly.

“It’s alright.”

“Well, she didn’t seem to be feeling well, and the dream she had...”

“How do you know about the dream?” I demanded.

“I kind of overheard you two talking...” she mumbled.

I sighed. “I don’t know what’s wrong. I shouldn’t have left her. I should be with her. She needs me.”

“It sounds like you need to be here just as much.”

She had heard too much.

“How much did you ‘overhear’?” I asked.

She shrugged. “Not that much. Just some stuff about the Ministry. But you can trust me. I’ll keep your secret,” she added hastily after seeing the look on my face.

Remus, something is wrong. I need you... I heard Tonks’ voice say.

“Tonks?” I said aloud.

“What?” Kris looked confused.

“I heard her... or I thought I did...”

They kidnapped me. It’s not really me back at the Burrow. Remus you know me, I’m not like that...

“Where are you?” I asked.

Nothing answered.

“Moony, what’s going on?” Kris asked.

“Someone’s got Tonks... That wasn’t her back at the Burrow...”

I didn’t know where she was, and even if I did find out where she was, it was too late now, the full moon would be rising tonight, and I would be a danger to her now.

______________________________________________________________________________

I got to him! I opened a path between us! But I had to break before I could tell him where I was because one of the house elves had come in to bring me food. I couldn’t risk the Malfoys finding out what I was doing.

I would try again the next day. It was a full moon, so I would have to try during the day.

When I did get to him, he was talking with Kris. I guess she wasn’t so bad. She seemed to be only a friend, and she seemed to be the only thing really keeping Remus sane.

Remus?

“Tonks?” He was speaking, not thinking, that could be dangerous.

Just think, don’t talk. It could get us in trouble. Listen, I don’t have much time, but I’m at Malfoy Manner.

Tonks, I can’t get to you right now... It’s a full moon.

I understand that. But I had to tell you... before I couldn’t tell anyone...

I’ll try to get to you, I promise

Then, I had to break the connection again, because a house elf was coming in again. Their visits seemed more frequent now. The one probably reported what he had seen the day before.

______________________________________________________________________________

Tonks? Are you still there?

There was no response.

“Earth to Moony?” Kris waved her hand in front of my face. She giggled. “That sounds funny.”

I smiled a little.

“She contacted you again?”

I nodded. I was tired from last night. Some of the other werewolves had attacked us. We ended up fighting until we nearly killed one of them, then they went away. I don’t know what made them do that. They’ve left us alone this whole time. Maybe they noticed we were gone and wanted to make sure we knew what would happen if we did it again.

I knew where Tonks was, though. But if they found out what she was doing... I couldn’t risk it. I had to save her. I would have to do it fast and make sure I was back by nightfall.
Chapter 6 by tonks_the_dreamer
“Where are you going?” Kris demanded.
“I’ve already told you that it’s none of your concern,” I replied sternly.
“Moony, it’s a full moon, you can’t go anywhere! What if you don’t get back in time?” she asked.
I paused a moment. “That’s a risk I have to take.”
“It’s for her, isn’t it? You can’t put her in that kind of danger!” Kris said, on the verge of shouting.
“Kris, I’ll be back before night fall.”
Without another word, I Apparated out, ready to go on my search for the Malfoy Manner.
______________________________________________________________________________
The house elf told the Malfoys something strange was going on. They didn’t know what I was doing, but they obviously didn’t like it. So extra charms were placed on the house. They weren’t taking any chances.
I wished I could make contact with Remus again, but he’d been almost impossible to reach with all the new barriers. I doubted he would come that week; it was a full moon. I thought I had time to try breaking some of the spells for him. He wouldn’t risk coming here on a full moon.
______________________________________________________________________________
The place was heavily guarded and it took almost a full day just to plan how I would get in. I barely remember what happened. All I know is I got in undetected and started looking for Tonks.
Shockingly, they had very little means of protection inside the Manner. Cocky.
They had a dungeon, unsurprisingly, but she wasn’t down there. So I started looking in every room I found that I couldn’t hear people in. Finally, after what seemed like countless hours, I walked into a room where I woman with mousy brown hair sat, frowning in concentration, on the bed.
I closed the door quietly. “What’re you trying to do?”
She whipped around, her face ridden with fear.
“It’s alright, it’s just me.”
“R-Remus?” she stuttered. “What are you doing here?”
“I came to save you,” I said, opening my arms for her to hug me.
She almost knocked me over when she ran to hug me. Then she stepped back and smacked me across the face.
“What the bloody hell-” I stammered.
“You didn’t know it was me! How could you... with her... Remus!” She punched my arm.
“Um...” I had an idea what she was talking about, but I was hoping I was wrong. I decided to change the subject. “Listen, we should get going. I need to get you back before night fall.”
But she wasn’t looking at me. She was staring, horrified, over my shoulder.
“What’s this?” a sharp woman’s voice asked.
I turned slowly to face Narcissa Malfoy. I blew it! All my careful planing gone to waste...
______________________________________________________________________________
She locked us in a cell. A cold, damp, dark cell.
Remus was cursing softly.
“What?” I asked, moving closer to him.
“It’s a full moon tonight...” he breathed.
“Didn’t you take a potion?” I gaped at him.
“We don’t take them down there. Besides, I thought I’d be in and out before nightfall.”
We were trapped and in a few short hours, Remus would transform.
“I’m sorry, Tonks.”
“For what?” I looked at him sharply. “It’s not your fault, and don’t you dare blame yourself.”
He was sobbing silently. I knew exactly why, but I refused to think about that.
“Remus, we’ll be fine... I can...” I was always bad at morphing into animals, and I wasn’t sure what effects it would have on the baby. “I could try morphing into an animal, then you would leave me be...”
“I can’t be sure of that, if I get hungry or something...”
I shook my head, not able to think about it. “Remus, we can figure this out...”
“Try. Just to make sure.”
I concentrated on changing my form, but absolutely nothing happened...
“Tonks...” his voice was mournful.
“No, don’t,” I said severely. “I’ll get it. Don’t worry.”
We sat in silence for what seemed like hours while I tried to morph. Nothing happened at all. It was so frustrating! Each time I failed, I could tell Remus buried himself in more grief and misery.
Eventually, he started shaking.
“R-Remus?” I stammered.
His reply was a low growl. He was transforming!
______________________________________________________________________________
I woke up in a hospital room. I couldn’t remember a thing. How I’d gotten there, why I was there, what had happened before I blacked out.
I turned my head to look around, and my body screamed in pain. Everything hurt. Panic filled me. The baby! Was the baby okay?
Molly walked in and beamed when she saw I was awake. “Tonks! Thank goodness!”
“What-” I began, but even my throat hurt too much to talk.
“Remus transformed while you were too close...” she told me slowly.
It all came flooding back to me then. In Malfoy Manner, the dark cell, Remus changing... I was instantly filled with pity for him, I knew he must be feeling horrible. Then, a fresh wave of panic attacked. Was he going to feel so bad that he felt it would be better to leave me?
“Is...” I tried to speak.
“The baby is miraculously fine! The healers can’t explain it!” Molly explained excitedly.
“Remus?” I asked.
Her face fell. “He’s back at the Burrow. He’s been very depressed since... well...”
“How long?” I wondered aloud.
“It happened a week ago. He’s been afraid to come see you. He won’t even let me tell him the news that the baby’s fine.”
“I want to see him.”
______________________________________________________________________________
“Remus?” Molly came into the room, concern written all over her face.
I didn’t answer.
“Tonks is awake. And the healers say that the baby is perfectly alright. Nothing happened to it,” she said quickly, as if she was afraid I would interrupt her at any second.
“That’s good,” I said quietly.
“She wants to see you.”
I froze. I couldn’t face Tonks. Not after what I’d done to her. I wouldn’t be surprised if she asked for a divorce right there in the hospital.
“She needs to see you, Remus,” Molly told me sternly.
I sighed, stood up, thanked Molly for the news and Apparated to the hospital.
I walked in, and if she hadn’t been the only one in the room, I wouldn’t have recognized her. Three gashes ran diagonal across her face, her arms were bruised and scarred, and her hair was definitely not it’s normal pink. But she still smiled when she noticed I was in the room.
“Hi,” she greeted me weakly.
“Hi...” I replied quietly.
I was afraid to look any closer at her wounds... in the mad whirl of it all, I couldn’t remember if I bit her or not...
Chapter 7 by tonks_the_dreamer
I talked to the first Healer I could find to ask if she’d been bitten.

“We haven’t figured that out yet. Test results haven’t come back.” The Healer looked at me almost with disgust. I might have looked a wreck, or she might’ve known I was the one who did this to Tonks.

I nodded, thanked her, and went back to Tonks.

“Remus,” she said softly, “I’m fine, you don’t need to worry so much.”

I fought the unbelievably large lump in my throat and nodded a little. How could I have mistaken Bellatrix Lestrange for Tonks? Why didn’t I see there was something wrong? She had been acting strange, but I passed it off as pregnancy issues. For weeks, I had been tricked into believing my wife was that wretched woman!

“You’re positively horrible at faking cheerfulness,” she laughed lightly.

The sound of her laugh coming from the mangled body lying on the hospital bed was just wrong.

“I’m sorry...” I told her.

She sighed. “Remus, stop that.”

“What?”

“Stop blaming yourself. It is my fault for worrying you. I could have contacted anyone else.”

I shook my head. “Maybe I should never have-”
“Stop.”
______________________________________________________________________________
Remus has been avoiding me ever since I got out of the hospital two months ago. He seemed afraid of crossing me, even though he hadn’t bitten me. The Order didn’t send him back underground, either, and he didn’t seem happy about that. He wanted to go back. I knew he was only afraid of transforming on me again and he didn’t want to hurt me, but it still felt like a rejection. It still stung. The baby was due soon, Remus tried to act excited, but I knew he was terrified. He was afraid the baby would be like him.

I was helping Molly cook dinner for the Order meeting that night. Mum was there too. She was very excited that she was going to be a grandmother soon. Remus hadn’t been around all day though, so that might’ve had something to do with my mother being so chipper too.

Remus was the last to show up for dinner. Even though he hadn’t bitten me, Remus had been trying to be with me only when there was a large crowd around.

He sat down, kissed me and joined the conversation with the Order about our next move. It was almost as if I wasn’t even there... I knew he was afraid of hurting me, and I understood that, but this was just ridiculous. We were still working together at Hogwarts (McGonagall had switched things around and given Remus the Defense Against the Dark Arts post again), and he avoided me there, too.

“We just got an owl from Harry, Remus,” Kingsley informed him. “He says he thinks he’s figured out where the last horcrux is.”

“Where?” Remus asked.

“Hogwarts.”

“Are we going to meet him there? Voldemort will most likely be guarding it.”

“Yes.”

The rest of the meeting was spent discussing how we would get to Hogwarts, what we would do and how we would protect the students. And, after what seemed like hours, the meeting finally paused.

“Remus, can I talk to you? In the other room?” I asked.

He nodded and followed me out of the kitchen.

“What’s wrong? Are you in labor?” he was suddenly nervous.

“No. You’re acting like I don’t exist!”

“That’s ridiculous, Tonks.”

“No it’s not. Ever since I was brought back from the hospital, you won’t even stay in the same room with me unless the whole flipping Order is there!”

Right then, there was an explosion, and an army of black, hooded figures stormed the Burrow. Order members were lost in the rush. Smoke from the explosion filled the scene and red and green flashes could be seen through the haze, who they were heading for, though, I couldn’t tell. I pulled out my wand to fight, but, at that second, my water broke!

“Oh, my God...” I said, panicking. “Remus.”

Fear filled his eyes. He didn’t know what to do. People were shouting in the background. Two of the Death Eaters had spotted us, and started firing spells.

“Remus... hospital...” I was able to mutter to him as he blocked a few spells heading out way.

He nodded, almost as if he was coming out of a trance and Apparated us to the hospital right as one of the Death Eaters sent the killing curse at us.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Four hours later, four painful hours later, the healer said, “Congratulations, it’s a boy.”

A boy! We have a boy! I’m a father...

Tonks’s grip on my hand slackened, thankfully. I think I may not be able to use my hand properly for a few days. She kept holding my hand, though.

“Remus, we have a boy...” she said breathlessly.

I smiled at her. “I know.”

“What’s his name?” the Healer asked.

“Ted,” I said, looking at Tonks for confirmation.

She nodded. “Teddy Sirius Lupin.”

A few hours later, Tonks was starting to get worried. She hadn’t let go of my hand.

“What do you think happened? At the Burrow,” she asked.

“I don’t know,” I whispered.

We didn’t hear from anyone until later the next day, Molly sent us an owl. The letter was tear stained.

Remus,
I hope everything is alright with you and Tonks. I saw she went into labor. We lost Arthur while he was duelling Malfoy... Everyone else is fine, its safe now. We’ll come visit soon.
Molly


I had to read the letter three times over before it finally sank in. Arthur Weasley was dead. I couldn’t believe it.

“What’s going on?” Tonks asked.

“Arthur was killed...” I said in barely a whisper.

“What?”

“I just got an owl from Molly. Everyone else is fine, but Arthur is dead.”

She gawked at me and opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a whole gaggle of people walked in the door. It was the Weasleys and a number of other people we knew.

“Is it a boy or girl?” one voice said.

“What’s my grandchild’s name?” Tonks’s mother asked.

We weren’t quite sure how to react with Molly and her children were there, who were obviously grieving.

“It’s a boy,” Tonks finally said. “And his name is Ted Sirius Lupin.”

Right on cue, the nurse entered carrying Teddy. There were several awws and ooohs from the assembled visitors.

“Oh, let me see, let me see!” Andromeda pushed her way to the front of the crowd. “Oh, Nymphadora, he’s beautiful.”

Even as tired as she was, Tonks still managed to cringe when her mother addressed her by her first name.
______________________________________________________________________________

A few days later, I was let out of the hospital and Remus and I went back to the flat we bought before all this madness had started. The place was covered in dust!

“Wow...” I said.

“Yeah...” Remus replied. He pulled out his wand, though, and within a few seconds, it was all clean again.

“Oh no!” I suddenly remembered. “We never set anything up! No crib, no... nothing! I don’t think we even have diapers!”

“Its okay, Tonks. Don’t worry. I’ll take care of it. You just relax.”

I sighed. “This is not a great start...”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I go into labor as the Order is being attacked, then we come home and we don’t have anything set up for the baby... Ugh...”

“Tonks, everything will be fine. We will survive.” Remus smiled at me, kissed the top of my head then was off.

We will survive.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=59989