The Investigations of Luna Lovegood by TopToasterGryffies
Summary: What do you get when your challenge is to write a mystery/humor fic that must include the following:



A Crumple-Horned Snorkack


Ron and Dumbledore as suspects


Luna sneaking into the Gryffindor common room


A detention


Luna accidentally solving the mystery




Well, you get The Investigations of Luna Lovegood. Luna has finally acquired some kind of proof to prove that the Crumple-Horned Snorkack is real...but it goes missing. Now, poor Luna must fight and put on her detective hat to...well...not really. She just stumbles across clues to help her find the missing proof. But what she does during that time, is so Luna Lovegood.





Gryffindor In-House Challenge
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 6118 Read: 13840 Published: 11/14/06 Updated: 01/07/07

1. Proof by TopToasterGryffies

2. Stolen by TopToasterGryffies

3. Conversations and Confrontations by TopToasterGryffies

4. Caught by TopToasterGryffies

5. Mystery Solved...or is it?? by TopToasterGryffies

Proof by TopToasterGryffies
Author's Notes:
This chapter was written by hogwartsduchess of Gryffindor house.
A girl with slightly protuberant blue eyes and dishwater blonde hair aimlessly roamed the corridors of the Hogwarts Express, a picture clutched tightly in her left hand, her wand stuck behind her right ear. Her name was Luna Lovegood, and she was looking for the small group of people that she could actually call friends. She heard her name, and turned towards the sound. There, in a compartment on her right, were those people: Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, and Neville Longbottom. A smile lit her face. Finally, she had proof.

She joined her friends in the compartment and closed the door behind her. The others were deep in discussion, and Luna patiently waited for someone to ask her how her summer had been. She didn’t have to wait long. At the first break in conversation, Neville looked up.

“So, Luna, how was your summer? Did you and your father find anything?” he asked interestedly. Luna caught Hermione rolling her eyes before quickly pasting a pleasant, if strained, smile on her face. She’ll have to believe in it now; I’ve got pictures! Luna thought excitedly. While the others either pretended to believe her or just ignored her, Hermione had always argued with her about the existence of the more mysterious creatures in the Wizarding world.

It must be because she’s a Muggle, Luna decided graciously.

“It was wonderful,” she began, noting Hermione was rummaging in her bag. Luna was positive she was searching for a book. “We went to Sweden, searching for a Crumple-horned Snorkack.”

Hermione made an impatient noise, but the rest of them looked at her. Ron’s eyes were a bit glassy, it was true, but Luna didn’t mind. She’d always been rather fond of him, so he could get away with it.

“Look,” Luna crowed triumphantly, holding out the slightly sweaty picture. It was blurry, but repeatedly moving across the corner was clearly the creature she’d once described to them. Luna registered the shock crossing their faces as they passed the picture around. When it came to Hermione, she spared it nary a glance and returned it haughtily to Luna.

“How did you get it?” Ginny asked, excited.

“Well, Father and I were having lunch in a pub in Sweden. It was actually a bit discouraging. We’d been searching for several weeks, and we hadn’t found any clues to follow at all. The bartender stopped by to ask us if we needed anything else, and Father said, ‘Yes, we would like one Crumple-horned Snorkack.’ The man’s face lit up! It was wonderful. He told us that there was a place, not too far from the pub, where the creek forked. In the middle of the fork was a large blue tree. He said we could find one there.”

“Father and I were so excited! Father paid for our lunch and we set off,” she told them. Her bulging eyes were alight with glee. She noticed Hermione was only pretending to read.

“So, what happened?” Ron asked, clearly interested in the story, for once.

“We found the blue tree. It was exactly where the man said it would be. But there was no Crumple-horned Snorkack. Father and I waded through the creek and searched the ground for clues. At first, we didn’t see anything, and we were getting quite upset. Then Father saw them; there were footprints! The footprints were exactly like those our readers in Sweden had reported seeing in places where the animal had been spotted. Father and I were ecstatic.”

“Footprints?” Hermione mumbled. “You’re excited about a few footprints?”

Luna ignored her and continued the story, clearly growing more excited. Her usual air of dreaminess was gone, replaced by a mad fervor and an almost manic excitement. She knew they thought she was a bit dotty, but now she had the proof.

“Not too far from where Father found the footprints was a camera. We rushed back to the hotel and Father went out to find developing supplies. When he returned, we processed the photos, and this was what we found,” she finished, waving the picture triumphantly.

“Who would leave a camera with something that important just lying on the ground?” Neville questioned.

“I can’t imagine,” Luna replied. “He probably got so excited that he just dropped it on accident.”

“Did it occur to you that your Crumply-Snorky thing most likely ate the person who owned the camera?” Hermione asked with maddening superiority.

“So you admit that it exists?” Ginny teased.

“Well, why didn’t it eat Luna and her dad, then?” Harry asked her.

“Obviously, it was full,” Hermione responded. “If, in fact, it ever was there. It sounds to me like the bartender set you up. He probably planted the evidence himself.”

“You’re just angry that she proved you wrong,” Ginny accused. That began an argument between the two that lasted the rest of the journey. Ron and Harry tried to ignore them by playing Wizard’s Chess, while Neville stroked his Mimbulous Mimbletonia.

Luna slipped into her world of dreams, completely oblivious to those around her, fascinated by the photo she held.

I’ve finally got a real, live picture of it. It doesn’t matter if Hermione doesn’t believe me. It was the most exciting experience. Perhaps next summer, Father and I can find a Heliopath.

Luna dreamed of showing Hermione pictures of all the creatures she’d refused to believe in. As the train stopped, she slipped the photo into her trunk. She’d send it back to her father tomorrow morning before class started. He wanted to publish right away, but she’d begged to be able to show her friends.

Singing softly to herself, Luna exited the train. She caught pieces of the conversation going on behind her.

“…wish I had that picture. Then I’d be rich…”

“Honestly, it’s not real, just wait and see.”

“You’re just jealous.”

She wondered vaguely what they were talking about before she climbed into the carriage.
Stolen by TopToasterGryffies
Author's Notes:
This chapter was written by solemnlyswear_x of Gryffindor house.
For Luna Lovegood, it was a long thestral-ride to the castle.

The entire time she was in the carriage with her friends, she leaned against the window, her blue eyes trying to spot the castle in the distance. She desperately wanted to be in the Great Hall, so she could tell her fellow Ravenclaws the news about her picture; Luna knew that they would want to see the photograph of the Crumple-Horned Snorkack.

I know they’ll want to see it. It’s such a lovely picture.

After what seemed like ages, they arrived at Hogwarts. Checking that her picture was tucked safely in her robe pocket, Luna climbed down from the carriage. As the group of friends made their way through the wooden doors and into the Great Hall, Luna and Hermione accidentally collided, knocking Luna to the ground. After giving her friend a rushed apology, Hermione stood up and sped off towards the Gryffindor table, looking frazzled from the impact. Luna picked herself up off the floor, and began walking towards the Great hall, smoothing her robes down as she did so. She carefully tucked a strand of wayward, dirty blond hair behind her ear as she observed the room.

The Great Hall was bustling with activity. Students were chatting amiably amongst themselves, and Dumbledore looked to be having a lively conversation with Professor McGonagall. Luna made her way towards the Ravenclaw table as the other returning students were doing the same.

The first years however, were standing in a long line behind Professor McGonagall. The latter had a stool right in front of her, and on the stool was an old, ratty hat.

Luna sat down at the table and serenely watched the younger students. There was a rather pregnant paused where everyone locked their gaze onto the hat, waiting for it to initiate the Sorting Ceremony. And then…

“Beautiful I may not be,
But intelligence I contain,
I warn you when you put me on-
Don’t treat me with disdain.

For I am the Sorting Hat,
Dirty, worn, but smart,
I’ll look inside your brain and see,
What things set you apart.

The places I might put you,
Are the Houses four,
But no matter where you find yourself,
It most surely will not bore.

You might find your home in Gryffindor,
Where breathe the brave and strong.
Among these daring students,
You’ll find that you belong.

It may be you go to Hufflepuff,
Where the gentle and loyal reside,
For in no other house will you see,
The kindness by which they abide.

Ravenclaw is the place,
For those with brains and wit,
If learning is your favorite thing,
Then this house is a perfect fit.

Slytherin is the final of four,
For anyone with ambition,
Those with cunning and slyness,
Are put here by tradition.

So place my brim atop your head,
And I will find your place,
For the Sorting Hat knows where all belong,
And you’re no special case.”


As soon as the Sorting Hat finished its song, the Great Hall rang with applause, Luna clapping as loudly as she could.

Such a talented hat, she thought happily.

“The sorting will now begin. First years, please come forward once I call your name,” called Professor McGonagall, thoroughly used to the hat bursting out in song. The first years, however, were not quite used to singing hats, and all held identical looks of trepidation as they gazed at the item that would select their house.

Luna remembered the day that she had been sorted into Ravenclaw, wearing her Butterbeer-cork necklace, along with her radish earrings. She watched the eleven- year-olds as they were sorted into houses, with an expression of vague interest. Each time a student became a Ravenclaw, she couldn’t help but think that it was another person to show her picture to.

When the Sorting was finally over, a great hush fell over the Hall as Albus Dumbledore stood up. “Welcome, to a new year at Hogwarts. I hope everyone had an enjoyable summer. I certainly did, having found a picture I had lost some time ago. It was a-” Dumbledore abruptly came to a stop at a quelling glance from Professor McGonagall. He smiled slightly, and cleared his throat. “Perhaps now is not the time. Well, for some of you, this is your final Welcoming Feast, and for some of you it is your first. But no matter if you are old or new, I would think that you all have one thing on your mind. So please, dig in!”

The students applauded gratefully, as they watched the food appear on the plates.

Luna ate her meal with great gusto, pausing every once in a while to tell someone else about her summer.

“I had a wonderful time in Sweden,” she told Anna Zeller happily. “Dad and I found a picture of the Crumple-Horned Snorkack.”

Anna, having shared a dorm with Luna for a few years now, was apparently used to Luna’s obsession with absurd creatures, and told Luna she was very glad to hear that.

Everyone’s so excited already, Luna thought. Now, if only Hermione could be this happy about my proof. Maybe I should show her the picture again…

Luna decided that she would indeed show Hermione the picture as soon as the feast ended. Having already finished her dinner, she waited patiently for the meal to end, humming softly to herself to pass the time.

Finally, Dumbledore dismissed the students, suggesting merrily that they head off to bed. Instead of following the Headmaster’s advice, Luna set off to find Harry, Hermione, and Ron. She caught up with them right outside the Great Hall.

“Hi, Luna,” Harry called as she neared the trio.

“Hello,” she replied, not looking at Harry, but at Hermione. “I was wondering, Hermione, if you would like to see my picture again?”

“Okay, Luna,” Hermione said, a slightly strained smile appearing on her face.

Luna plunged her hand into her robe pocket looking extremely excited. “Harry, you and Ron are welcome to look a-.”

She stopped mid-sentence, her blue eyes widening.

“Something wrong?” Ron asked, eyeing Luna with a look of concern.

“I can’t find my picture!” she said, looking devastated.

“Do you know when you had it last?” Harry questioned.

“I know I had it when I got into the carriage, so maybe I left it in the Great Hall.” Not waiting for a reply, Luna turned on her heel, and hurried back into the hall.

She returned a few moments later, looking more upset than before. “I can’t find it anywhere.”

“I’m sure it will turn up soon,” Harry said bracingly. “It’s got to be around here somewhere.”

“I think someone took it,” Luna said suddenly, remembering what Dumbledore had said about finding a picture in his speech. She wondered if he had anything to do with her missing photo. “I need to go write to Dad and let him know it’s been stolen.”

Luna left her three friends standing outside the Great Hall, looking slightly confused.

“Who would want a picture of a Crumpled-Horned Snork-Thingy?” Ron wondered aloud.

“I’m not sure. It’s bound to turn up, though” Hermione said briskly. “I’m going to head off to my dormitory; I’m exhausted. Are you all coming?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah.” He began to walk away with Ron and Hermione before adding, “I hope Luna finds her picture.”
Conversations and Confrontations by TopToasterGryffies
Author's Notes:
This chapter was written by ms weasley of Gryffindor house.

Chapter Three “ Conversations and Confrontations

The sun’s first rays were streaming in through the window, casting patterns of light onto the five beds. It was still quite early, and it seemed unlikely that any of the five girls would awake for another couple of hours.

Well “ I say unlikely. Luna Lovegood was already awake.

She sat perched upon her own bed, fully-dressed, with her customary quill stuck behind one ear. Luna sighed. Why would anyone want to steal my picture? Daddy was so happy about it, too. She shuffled slightly on the edge of her bed. I’ll have to write and tell him.

She slipped off the bed, and sat down to open one of her drawers. Let’s see… Black sock, blue sock, Gurdyroot, white sock…

At the sound of her rummaging, one of her roommates stirred sleepily. Eleanor squinted in the direction of the noise.

“Luna,” she began, resignedly, “what are you doing?”

“I’m looking for my ink-bottle.”

Eleanor raised an eyebrow. “And you left it “ in your sock-drawer?”

“Well, I thought I did,” Luna continued her search. “Ah! Here it is.”

She turned to address Eleanor, only to find that her roommate had rolled over and gone back to sleep. Luna blinked for a moment at the girl’s sleeping form, before heading out of the dormitory, clutching ink and parchment.

It was slightly strange, seeing the corridors empty of the usual life and noise. Humming a little to herself, Luna walked dreamily up to the Owlery. As she approached the tower, she was surprised to hear hurried footsteps heading her way. She was even more surprised to see that they belonged to Ron Weasley.

“Good morning,” she said brightly. “Are you getting an early start?”

“Erm, yeah,” he replied, looking slightly shifty. “Getting an early start.”

Luna smiled. Not surprising, really. It takes a while to get used to rising before eight.

“You?” he asked.

“I still haven’t found my picture,” Luna sighed. “Nobody’s picked it up. I’m going up to the Owlery to send a letter to Daddy.”

“Oh, you can’t do that!” Ron went slightly pink.

Luna was surprised. “Why not?”

“Well…the owls have… rabies.” He nodded emphatically. “Highly contagious and very dangerous. They’ve been quarantined.”

“Oh. The poor things.” Luna’s eyes widened. “Why were you in there?”

“I’ve been… helping Hagrid with them.”

“That’s nice of you,” Luna told him. “Daddy was only saying, the other week, that we ought to be careful about Wrackspurts. There’s been new evidence suggesting that they infect animals, too.”

“Oh.”

“Yes. It’s quite shocking. Well, I’ll see you later.”

Luna smiled thoughtfully, and turned to head back down the corridor.

I’ll have to find the picture for myself.
***

“Hi Luna.” Harry looked up, half-way through applying marmalade to his toast, to find the fifth-year Ravenclaw smiling at them all. “Have you found your picture?”

“Not yet,” Luna told them matter-of-factly. “I’ve been back and had another look. I definitely didn’t drop it. I just can’t think who might have taken it.”

Ginny gave her a sympathetic look. “Maybe you should report it to a teacher. I’m sure they’d help you find it.”

But Luna was suddenly lost in thought. The teachers… She recalled quite clearly Professor Dumbledore’s mentioning a photo during the welcoming feast. Perhaps she knew where to find her picture after all!

“That’s it!” she exclaimed loudly, drawing curious glances from some nearby Gryffindors. “Professor Dumbledore stole it “ I’m sure of it. And Professor McGonagall is in on it too. I should have realized!”

“What?” Hermione spluttered, almost choking on her pumpkin-juice.

But Luna was already making plans. “I’d better be off, then.” She beamed at Ron. “Good luck with the rabies, Ronald!”

Several passing second-years gave Ron nervous glances.
***

However, getting her picture back was proving more difficult than Luna originally expected. Already, half of her lunch-time had been spent outside the stone gargoyle, attempting to get in. She smiled patiently, for the tenth time.

“Open up, please! I need to get my picture back,” she told the gargoyle solemnly.

“Alright, Luna?” A passing third-year gave her a thumbs-up. “Trying to get into the Headmaster’s office to see if you can set his bird on fire?”

Luna shook her head. “I’m trying to get in so that I can get a picture back.”

“Oh.” He looked momentarily disconcerted, and then brightened. “Stealing one of the portraits?”

“No. It’s my picture.”

He shrugged. “Alright then. Password’s Acid Pops “ I overheard McGonagall this morning.”

“Thank you, Mitchell.” Luna beamed at him.

“Not a problem.” He looked wistful. “It’s a pity McGonagall also caught me and said that this year I’m not to go just for the sweets.”

She nodded sympathetically. “That is a shame.”

Mitchell grinned. “Just bring me some sherbet lemons back, if you can.”

Luna smiled as he walked off, before giving the password and making her way up the spiral-staircase. She paused at the top, and then knocked determinedly on the oak door. A calm voice answered.

“Come in!”

Luna walked into the beautiful circular room, only pausing for a second to wave back at one of the portraits that adorned the walls. Albus Dumbledore sat behind his desk, his fingers tapping a light rhythm on its wooden surface.

“Ah, Ms. Lovegood. Is there anything particular I can help you with?”

Luna decided, on the spur of the moment, that honesty was the best policy.

“Actually, Professor, I was wondering if you had stolen my photograph of a Crumple-Horned Snorkack, and were planning to sell it so that you and Professor McGonagall have enough money to go on a nice holiday this year.”

Dumbledore scratched his chin. “No, I’m afraid I haven’t, Ms. Lovegood.”

“Oh. Well, that’s alright then.”

Dumbledore smiled. “Sherbet lemon?”
***

Luna watched distractedly, as a group of fourth-years came running past, holding what she could only assume was a rather disgruntled Bowtruckle. My only lead gone. This is going to be much harder than I thought it was…

“Hey, Loony!” She turned around, surprised, to see Adam Corner standing by a window. “Looking for something?”

Luna blinked. “Yes, actually. Daddy will be ever so disappointed.” She sighed sadly. “I was going to send it back to him today, too.”

Adam, who had seemed oddly pleased with himself, now gave her a very strange look. He suddenly looked uncomfortable.

“Er... Yeah, well. Good luck with that, then.”

He turned on his heel, and practically ran down the corridor, his backpack slung over one shoulder. Luna stared after him, bemused. What a strange boy…

She continued down the corridor, turning left and heading into the Ravenclaw Common Room. Luna smiled as she noticed Anna sitting nearby. The bespectacled girl looked up at her approach.

“Have you found your picture yet, Luna?”

“No.” Luna shook her head. “Professor Dumbledore says that he really doesn’t have time for a holiday at the moment.”

Clearly not sure how to respond, Anna compromised with a nod. “Oh. Do you want to come up to the owlery with me? You know, to take your mind off things?”

“Oh, no.” Luna’s eyes widened. “I wouldn’t do that. All the owls have rabies, you know. It’s very contagious.”

Anna looked extremely puzzled. “Owls can’t get rabies.”

“They can’t?”

“No “ rabies is a disease that only presents itself in mammals.”

Luna was suddenly silent. But… then… No “ surely not?

“Luna, are you alright?”

I’ll have to be cleverer about this one. Luna suddenly brightened.

“Anna, I need your help.”

“Do you want me to help you to look for your picture?”

“No,” Luna smiled brightly. “I was actually wondering if I could borrow your clothes.”
Caught by TopToasterGryffies
Author's Notes:
This chapter was written by HarryPotter is my LIFE of Gryffindor house.
Chapter Four - Caught

“I suppose so.” Anna seemed curious as to why Luna needed to borrow her clothing, but was obviously not anticipating what Luna was going to use them for.

The climbed the flight of stairs to their dormitory where Anna invited Luna to look through her truck.

“Oh, and I’ll need your glasses,” said Luna, as she rummaged through Anna’s clothing.

“Well, I need my glasses to see,” Anna pointed out, though she seemed quite uncomfortable turning Luna down. “Would you like me to ask James? He has them, but he doesn’t really need them.”

“Sure, sure.” Luna was rather distracted as she extracted a bright pink cloak and thirty-two centimeter red top hat that clashed terribly.

Anna dashed out of the room as Luna stood up and walked over to the mirror, dragging the cloak on the floor as she did.

She draped the cloak on her shoulders and put the hat atop her head. Luna frowned at her reflection in the slightly cloudy mirror. She looked around the room and spotted a short, jet black wig sitting on a styrofoam head.

At the moment, Anna burst back into the room clutching a pair of turquoise rimmed glasses in her hands.

Luna turned to her panting friend. “Do you think Alice would mind if I borrowed her wig?”

When Luna emerged in the Ravenclaw common room a few minutes later, most of its inhabitants burst into laughter. Some were too stunned to let their laugh loose, and others were just too kind. Luna skipped out into the corridor, her straggly blond hair tied up in a tight bun so that the long auburn wig that she kept handy in her trunk would fit under Alice’s short black one.

Rather than on her head, Anna’s red top hate had a string through it and was tied around her waist, which was hidden by the shapeless, wool, pink cloak that Luna had borrowed from her head. On her feet, the giant, rainbow-laced trainers squeaked as she excitedly skipped towards Gryffindor common room. Well, tried to skip, anyway. Luna kept tripping over the cloak.

To the skimming, non-critical eye, Luna was unrecognizable. Especially with her cloudy blue eyes obstructed by the attention grabbing glasses.

Luna came to a stop in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Password?”

Luna pondered for a moment, a quizzical expression on her face. “Wrackspurt?”

“No, I’m sorry.” The Fat Lady turned her attention away from Luna and back to her friend Violet who was getting quite impatient. Luna shrugged, not even slightly discouraged.

Luna shivered slightly a while later as the air inside the castle cooled. Luna was just about to give up, after having persisting in her quest for the password when Neville came walking towards his her.

Luna’s face brightened immediately. She knew she had a chance to get into Gryffindor common room.

Luna stepped into the Gryffindor common room ten minutes later, Neville walking shyly behind her. It had taken Luna a while to coax Neville into letting her in, but he caved in the end.

The previously booming room became dead silent. Everybody turned towards the person who had just stepped into the room. Most either could tell that it was silly, Loony Luna again, or at least speculated it. A few others were either ignorant, or really couldn’t tell who it was under all the hats.

“Neville, where are the boys dormitories? This is nothing like the Ravenclaw common room; for one, it’s much noisier. Though I rather like it like this.” Luna was full ready to explain, in detail, the Ravenclaw common room, but Neville seemed to sense it and quickly pointed to the staircase.

“Thank you very much.” As Luna clomped towards the staircase, she became full aware of the snickering throughout the room. But she took it that they were laughing at something else, possibly a poor little first year had just gotten bit by a Flying Wingding.

As she unsteadily climbed the spiral staircase to the boy’s dormitory, she became aware that they spilt off. Luna took a left, hoping that it would lead her to the boys. Though, if it didn’t she could always turn back. And, maybe she’d find a nest of the Flying Wingdings she was so sure had begun to breed in the Gryffindor common room.

She found the door that read, ‘Sixth Years,’ and barged in, not even thinking about what she could walk in to.

Luckily for Luna, only one person was in the dormitory, and it was Lavender.

Oh, wrackspurt! I’ve got the wrong dormitory. Luna cursed herself for picking the wrong staircase, and was just about the leave the dormitory when Lavender looked up from the book she was reading.

Upon first site of Luna, she let out a tiny girlish screech and scuttled backwards on her bed. “Who are you, and what do you want with me?!”

Luna wanted to chuckle, but she felt that it might embarrass Lavender a bit. “It’s Luna Lovegood, don’t you remember me?”

Lavender’s eyes widened for a moment, in shock, or possibly anger. “Yes, of course I do. How could someone ever forget you?”

Luna smiled calmly and took Lavender’s comment as a compliment, even though it hadn’t been intended as one.

Lavender’s eyes searched the room. “So, why is it exactly that you’re here?”

“Well, actually I was looking for Ronald’s room. Do you know where that is?”

“Er.” Lavender was speechless after Luna’s question. About a million things were running through her mind at the moment, but number one was, Why in the world does Luna want to see Ron’s room?

“Wrackspurt got your tongue?” Luna seemed very concerned about Lavender. “It ruined my chance to go on a quest with my father. He wanted to be sure I could resist all the different types of creatures, and at the last moment I got attacked by a Wrackspurt. It really wasn’t very good timing.”

All Lavender could do was stare; and when it appeared that she had no intent to do otherwise, Luna was ready to leave and go find Ron’s room. Abruptly, the door opened.

Luna turned her head violently and saw Hermione standing there. The wigs flew off her head and Hermione cried, “Luna!”

“Hello, Hermione, how are you? Are you well? Oh, do be careful, I think there are a few Wrackspurts floating around in here.”
Mystery Solved...or is it?? by TopToasterGryffies
Author's Notes:
This last chapter was written by sayiansirius of Gryffindor house. Thank you for reading
Hermione didn’t know what to do. She stared, wide eyed, at the sight. Luna Lovegood, member of Ravenclaw house, was in their common room, wearing numerous layers of clothes under her cloak and ridiculous shoes, Hermione might add. She looked Luna up and down twice before closing her mouth. She tried to speak once more but no words came out. Luna beamed at her, bent down, and picked up the wigs that fell.

As Luna turned back towards Hermione, her expression turned into amazement. She lunged towards Hermione, the wigs falling out of her hand. Hermione, startled, tried to move out of the way but tripped over her cloak, and landed on the floor with a loud thud. Luna also landed on the floor and let out a maniacal laugh. She stood up and raised her right hand, fist clenched tight.

“Just caught it! It was about to fly into your mouth. I told you to close it. They’re really dangerous, these Wrackspurts,” she smiled again and her dropped whatever she was holding, if there was something really there, into her pocket.

“Are you out of your mind?” Hermione finally let out the question she’d wanted to ask all along.

“Personally, I don’t think so. Although there’s been a few times when the Lackstealers father discovered this summer stole my mind. But they kindly returned it. Thanks for asking,” replied Luna.

Hermione let out a whimper as Lavender went into fits of laughter.

“How did you get in here?” asked Hermione.

“Neville Longbottom. Very nice boy. He let me in,” said Luna sitting down on Hermione’s bed. Hermione huffed. She closed her eyes, let out a calming breath, then continued.

“What are you doing in Gryffindor Tower anyway?”

“Going to get my picture from Ronald,” replied Luna jumping up immediately as if she forgot what she was there for.

“Picture?” asked Hermione confused. After a few seconds, her face lightened and she let out a nervous laugh. “That silly…I mean…the picture of the Wrinkle-toed Snorelax?”

Luna frowned a bit and she muttered, “Yea, the Crumple-Horned Snorkack. I think Ronald took it. Professor Dumbledore already said he didn’t.”

“You asked Dumbledore?!” Hermione shrieked. “This is getting out of hand, Luna. Can’t you just forget about the picture? Tell your dad to find another for you.”

“It’s not…” started Luna.

“I’m sorry, Luna but I must take action. Entering another house’s tower is strictly prohibited. I’m sorry but this means detention. I’ll let Mr. Filch know that you will be helping him clean the trophy room.”

Luna’s eyes widened and they showed sadness. Her head dropped and she muttered, “sorry.” Hermione and Lavender watched as she picked up the wigs and walked towards the door. As she was leaving the dormitory, she hit the wall really hard, causing the two other girls to jump. Luna let out a big smile.

“Just caught another one,” she said in a sing-song voice. “Wrackspurt, oh wrackspurt, you fly about…” she sang as she walked down the stairs.

“Don’t you think you were too hard on her, Hermione? I mean, she IS Luna,” said Lavender.

“No, as a matter in fact, I don’t,” retorted Hermione rather harshly.

Still singing her song and prancing, Luna made her way out of Gryffindor tower. Or well, at least tried to find the exit. She descended the stairs, opened a door, and walked in. Ron, who was had nothing on but boxers and was attempting to put on his trousers, stared wide-eyed at her. Luna smiled at him. Ron fumbled with his trousers and landed on the floor.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE, LUNA?!”

“I was looking for a way out,” she replied dreamily. “You most certainly have a nice room. No Wrackspurts floating around.” Ron started dumbstruck at her. She gave him a small wave and exited the dormitory, closing the door behind her.
*~*~*~*

Detention with Filch felt like a detention for him instead of for Luna. She was enjoying herself cleaning the trophy room. He watched her prance around the trophies, singing to the top of her lungs, with a disgusted look on his face.

“I said no singing!” he barked at her. She looked at him, shrugged, and started to whistle. Filch let out an irritated roar.

“Singing and humming makes the fuzzy little bunnies in the air leave, don’t you know that, Mr. Filch. Can I call you Filch instead, sir? Everyone else does,” asked Luna kindly. Filch’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

“I think that’s a yes,” replied Luna happily. She skipped over to the last set of trophies. She took the cloth that she was using off her head, blew on the trophy, and wiped it vigorously. “I have to make sure all the Wrackspurts and Lackstealers that hide on these are all gone.”

Filch paced as she finished the last table of trophies then she skipped over to him, tossing him the cloth.

“You don’t have to thank me. I rather enjoyed myself. Bye, Filchy!” she sang as she left the trophy room, dusting herself off and singing. Filch snarled as she left.

As Luna made her way to their common room, she figured that she should apologize to Hermione for helping herself into their dormitory. She should have asked first. So realizing that, she made her way to Gryffindor tower again. As she neared it, her eye caught a room whose door was slightly open, revealing a flickering flame.

Full of curiosity, Luna slowly pushed open the door. A bushy haired girl sat at a desk, her back to the door. She held up her wand, which had a bright flame at the tip, and held up what seemed to be a piece of paper in her other hand. As she brought the flame to the paper, Luna realized who it was.

“Hermione?” asked Luna. Startled, Hermione turned around, gasped, and nearly fell off the seat as she tried to hide the paper behind her. “Why has everyone been falling lately?”

“Maybe because you’ve been showing up unexpectedly,” snapped Hermione. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to find you so I could apologize for going into the Gryffindor tower without permission,” replied Luna smiling at her.

“Oh…” Hermione blinked. “Er, apology accepted. You can go now.” She smiled.
“What is that you're holding behind you?”

Luna laughed. “Well it has to be something if you’re hiding it. Let me see it,” she moved towards Hermione. Hermione stumbled backwards and the paper flew out of her hand. She made for it but Luna pulled out her wand, realizing what it was.

“Accio picture!” said Luna sharply. The picture soared out of the tips of Hermione’s finger and to Luna. “Why do you have this?”

“Er…I found it. I was coming to give it back,” replied Hermione blushing.

“No you weren’t,” snapped Luna coldly. Her dreamy voice was gone. “You were going to burn it. You were the one who stole it all along. Why?”

“Because I didn’t want to be wrong. Do you know how many people I told that the Short-Toed…”

“Crumple-Horned-Snorkack!”

“Yeah…that. I told everyone you were lying. I didn’t want to be proven wrong by you. Or simply by anyone else so I had to result to any measures. I’m sorry.”

“Even if it meant hurting someone?” Luna said sadly, her eyes tearing up.

“I’m really sorry, Luna,” said Hermione walking towards her. “I just didn’t believe you. I promise it won’t happen again.”

Luna’s face brightened.

“I love promises,” she said. Hermione chuckled.

“That’s good,” replied Hermione giving Luna a hug. “We should get going now. It’s almost dinner time. I’ll walk with you.”

They exited the room to see the corridor full of students. As they made their way down to the great hall, bumping into students, Luna saw Harry.

“Hermione, let’s show Harry!” cried Luna turning to her; Hermione was gone. Luna shrugged and called Harry’s name. Harry turned towards her and smiled.

“Hi, Luna,” said Harry.

“Look what I found!” cried Luna shoving her hands in her pockets. Her smile faded from her face as she searched all of her pockets for the picture. “Oh, no! I just had it.”

“Had what?” asked Harry.

“The picture. The picture of the Crumple-Horned-Snorkack. I found it,” Luna turned around and searched for a bushy head. When she didn’t see one, she groaned.

“That darn Hermione.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60154