Xanthe by Foxy Wolf
Summary: Ginny Weasley feels abandoned when her family dies. As she stands at their grave she promises to avenge their deaths. She leaves her former life as Ginny Weasley. She is now known as Xanthe Gwynne, a new prominent Death Eater.

Every tear has been shed. All that’s left is the bitter taste of vengeance.


Entry for the Gauntlet 3rd run.
Name: Foxy Wolf
House: Hufflepuff
Character: Ginny Weasley
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 2681 Read: 1615 Published: 11/18/06 Updated: 11/18/06

1. Amidst evil by Foxy Wolf

Amidst evil by Foxy Wolf
Her heart was thumping madly. It felt like it was digging its way further into her chest, making its way through her spine and out of the window escaping in the silent night. How she wanted to follow it. In an hour everything would change. In an hour she would be a Death Eater.

She looked at the piece of parchment she had been given a few days before. The handwriting was neat and written in golden ink. It looked like a perfectly normal letter, except for the fact that it was written on a black piece of parchment and was signed with a glowing skull with a snake coming out of its mouth. She had been told to destroy it after she had read it but she couldn’t. It meant too much for her to dispose of it. She couldn’t count the times she had read it over the last few days. It didn’t stop her from reading it again.

Dear Miss Gwynne,

Your interest for our organization has been well received. You are expected to appear in front of Lord Voldemort this Friday. An allied will come to collect you at your address during the evening.

The time has come for you to prove your worth.


She looked at the name she was known by to others. The name Ginny Weasley hadn’t been uttered by others in her near presence for a long time. The beginning of her new life stood clear in her mind. She remembered standing in front of her family’s grave reading the names of her parents and brothers in gold letters on the tall epitaph. She had no tears left to shed. All she had was the bitter taste of vengeance and she would get it. She looked at the tombstone of the poor soul that had been laid to rest next to her family:

Xanthe Gwynne

1898-1992

No one knew her
like she was supposed to be known.


Ginny laid down nine white lilies on the freshly turned earth in front of the epitaph. She drew her wand and engraved her own name. As she left the graveyard she took one last look at Xanthe Gwynne’s tombstone and promised her that she would be known.

Ginny couldn’t believe that she had gotten so far already. In less than an hour she would be standing in front of the creature responsible for her family’s death. She was one step closer to vengeance. She looked at herself in the mirror. Ginny Weasley was almost impossible to find in there. Her hair was short and blond. Her skin was pale and less freckled. She was Xanthe Gwynne now. She had no connections to her past any more. She didn’t even visit the family grave. She couldn’t risk getting caught. But she would never forget. Every night she sat in front of the mirror looking into her own fiery brown eyes and said “Ginny Weasley.” The name had been forgotten by others. It had no meaning to others but her. To her it was the only link to the past and the only promise to avenge her family.

She heard a soft knock on the door.

“Xanthe, are you ready?”

She put on her cloak and opened the door.

“I’m ready.”

Ginny felt the night air nipping at the root of her hair. The crisp coldness calmed her. She felt cleansed and ready. It was Caelan Carrows who had come to pick her up. Ginny didn’t know her that well. She hadn’t been her primary contact to the Death Eaters. Caelan was born into this and didn’t really know anything outside of this world making it easier for Ginny to disguise herself. She followed her slender body through the darkness not knowing where their destination was.

“We’re here.” Caelan’s soft voice interrupted the silence.

They had stopped in a murky alley. Ginny noticed that Caelan was holding a broken feeding bottle.

“We’ll be using this.” She held it out to Ginny. “We can’t Apparate there seeing as you don’t know the destination.”

Ginny touched the Portkey. She closed her eyes and after a few seconds it felt like her feet were being lifted from the ground. When she felt like they were standing still she opened her eyes. They found themselves at the fringe of a graveyard. A tall hooded figure approached them.

“Good evening, Caelan.”

She bowed her head. “Good evening, Father.”

“And this must be Miss Gwynne.”

Mr. Carrows held out his hand to Ginny. She curtsied in reply.

“What wonderful manners. The Dark Lord will appreciate that.”

He motioned her to follow him and so she did. Caelan walked up to her and squeezed her hand.

“Remember not to look into his eyes before he addresses you. That’s a sign of respect.” She let go of Ginny’s hand as a circle of people drew nearer. “Good luck, Xanthe.”

Ginny smiled at her and lowered her head as she stepped into the circle. She noticed the prominent figure of Lord Voldemort rising in front of her. At once she felt a presence inside her head. She knew enough about Legilimency to know what was going on. Ginny curtsied for the second time this evening but made an effort to do it much lower this time. She bent her knees and her cloak spread itself across the ground surrounding her like an impervious shield. She felt Lord Voldemort walking around her but she maintained her painful position. As she felt the acid surging through her legs he stopped in front of her.

“Good evening, Miss Gwynne.” He bowed to her. “It’s nice to see a young person with such wondrous manners.”

“My Lord.”

“Stand, child, and let me see your face.”

Ginny stood up and lowered her hood. She looked into his eyes and felt at once that he was looking beyond that. The Dark Lord did not see her light brown eyes. He saw what lay behind them.
Ginny was no where near a perfect Occlumens but she had trained herself to her best abilities. She had taught herself to remember things that had never been. A mother that had never existed kissing her on the forehead. A father only present in her mind teaching her how to ride a broom. She had taught herself joy and heartache she had never experienced; pushing away her own treasured memories of a family long gone.

“What is your full name?”

Ginny’s brain demanded her to look away under the pressure of Lord Voldemort’s penetrating eyes but she knew it was crucial to keep eye contact.

“Xanthe Gwynne.”

She felt a mental blow to the head.

“What an unusual name.”

Ginny tried to respond. His presence laid like a shadow over her memory.

“It’s Greek. My mother loved ancient mythology.”

She felt his suspicious mind roaming through hers. She shared her images of family bliss portraying a blond woman laughing and playing with her equally blond daughter.

Ginny spent the next hour being subdued to psychological torture. She answered every question spoken as well as mentally asked. A small amount of energy left her body for every time Lord Voldemort entered her thoughts. By the end she was laying on the ground. She felt her body tremble with exhaustion and she wanted to cry.

“Why do you wish to become one of my loyal followers, Miss Gwynne?”

Ginny, too weak to stand up, merely looked Lord Voldemort in the eyes.

“I wish to get dreams fulfilled. I wish to succeed, My Lord.”

He smiled. She felt a cloud lifting from her head. She was free.

“Congratulations, Miss Gwynne. You are now a Death Eater.”

Ginny felt the relieve spreading throughout her entire body.

“All you need is a mark to show it.”

She felt a slight tension again. She had felt her goal with her fingertips but somehow it slipped through her hands. A pair of rugged hands grabbed her shoulders and helped her up from the ground. Ginny thanked the person helping her without really noticing him. She tried standing on her own but found it rather difficult. Her legs were slightly trembling under the weight of her tired body. She noticed the other Death Eaters around her whispering and smirking. She knew they fed on others weakness and she wouldn’t give them that satisfaction. A deep breath helped her steady herself and as she exhaled she stood up straight. Ginny saw Lord Voldemort turning around to face her and she pulled up her sleeve to receive her marking. She made sure her face wasn’t showing any emotions as he approached her. She hadn’t come this far only to be discarded for being weak.

“You can safely put down your sleeve, Miss Gwynne. There’s one thing I need to know before I decorate your arm.”

“My Lord.”

She let go of her sleeve feeling the fabric caressing the delicate hairs on her arm. It sent shivers down her spine making it prickle on every inch of her scalp.

“What special knowledge or service do you hope to offer the Dark Lord for giving you the honour of being among his followers, Miss Gwynne?”

Ginny saw the Death Eaters out of the corner of her eyes. Their eyes expressed hunger and greed. She guessed that others had failed this question miserably before. A feeling that had become much too familiar crept over her mind again. She felt rock steady as she gave him her answer.

“I have connections to the Muggle world, my Lord. I can take you places you haven’t been.”

“Don’t flatter yourself, Miss Gwynne. I am well connected in the Muggle world.”

“I have connections in their Ministry, my Lord, and their law enforcements. I can get you as close as to standing in their Minister’s office.”

She could see from the look on his face that he was interested. She even felt that he was satisfied. He could see that she wasn’t lying. Nothing about her answer faltered. Her mind was as steady as her face and her hands.

“Excellent, Miss Gwynne. You may pull up your sleeve now.”

Ginny smirked and pulled up her sleeve revealing a soft alabaster arm. She took one last look at her unspoiled arm before seeing a pale yew wand drawing nearer. Her body went numb as she felt the wand humming against her skin. A sudden sharp pain spread itself from her arm through her body. She wanted to scream but no sound seemed to escape from her lips. Her forehead was damp with cold sweat. For a second she thought she was going to pass out but as sudden as the pain had come as sudden had it disappeared again. She grabbed her arm and gasped when she felt that her skin was burning hot. She looked down and saw the Dark Mark on her once innocent arm.

“Welcome to our midst, Miss Gwynne.”

Ginny Weasley looked as her new master disappeared behind her fellow Death Eaters.

Three days later she still felt the exhaustion after her meeting with the Dark Lord. She was sitting in her kitchen enjoying a cup of hot tea. Ginny watched as the steam lifted itself from the scalding surface and danced through the air. It made her think of the misty summer mornings at the Burrow. Melancholy swept over her as she sipped her tea blowing away the vapour of memories. She heard a tapping on the window and saw a large screech owl sitting outside. Ginny opened the window and took the note placed around the leg. The note was black like the one she had received before the meeting. Her heart skipped a beat as she read the piece of parchment.

To prove you can be trusted and that you are not lying you are to retrieve an item from the Muggle Minister’s office. The item is to be presented at our gathering by the end of the week.

Ginny destroyed the note and poured out the rest of the tea. She decided to leave right away.




“Stephanie?”

Ginny knocked on the door and waited. A few seconds after the door opened and a smiling young woman with brown waist length hair welcomed her.

“Xanthe, what a wonderful surprise. Would you like a cup of tea?”

“Yes please. That would be lovely.”

“I’m leaving for work in half an hour or so.”

Stephanie worked as the Muggle Minister’s assistant. She was a Squib and Ginny had known her from when she was still a Weasley. As far as Stephanie knew Xanthe was one of Ginny’s friends whom she had known for a few years. Ginny had modified Stephanie’s memory when she had taken the form of Xanthe Gwynne. She hated to do such a thing to one of her friends but she knew it was crucial for Xanthe’s survival.
The silence surrounding the kitchen fell heavy on Ginny’s shoulders.

“I need a favour.” Ginny played with her spoon avoiding Stephanie’s eyes.

“Sure, love. As long as you’ll help me with my hair. It’s a terrible pain for my arms when I braid it.” Stephanie smiled at her own joke and took a gulp of tea. “Let’s hear then, dear.”

“I need you to get me something from the Minister’s office. It’s very important.”

“You’re not in any trouble are you?” She said looking concerned.

“No. I just need you to trust me. It’s extremely important.”

Ginny felt the desperation scratching her throat and did her best to conceal it. Stephanie’s worrying stare pierced through her chest. Ginny sent her a reassuring smile.

“Sure I trust you, love.” She took Ginny’s hand. “If it’s so important to you it’s not a problem.”

In a second her mood turned for the better and she started laughing.

“I’ll give you a pair of his specs. He always throws them away.”

Ginny laughed along with her and they drank the rest of their tea.

“What about my hair then, love?”

She took out her wand, waved it and watched as Stephanie’s long hair laid itself in a beautiful French braid.

“I’ll have it for you by tomorrow.”

Ginny spent the rest of the day worrying about Stephanie’s success. She knew she put her through a terrible risk but Stephanie was a clever girl. She would know exactly what to say.
And she did. When Stephanie stopped by after work she handed over a pair of glasses, a ball pen and a tiny porcelain figurine. She assured Ginny that the figurine wouldn’t be missed. It was a present from the Minister’s mother-in-law. They both laughed and Ginny felt a knot untwisting in her stomach.




Friday came and Ginny found herself in front of the Dark Lord once again.

“Did you acquire an item, Miss Gwynne?”

She still felt Lord Voldemort’s presence intimidating and knew it would probably never go away. She took out the three items and placed them on the ground.

“As you commanded, my Lord.”

“Three items. I’m impressed, Miss Gwynne.” Lord Voldemort picked up the tiny figurine and looked at it. “They will be examined, off course.”

Ginny thanked him and stepped out of the circle. Lord Voldemort stood in the middle of the gathering knowing he had everyone’s attention.

“My loyal followers. We are one step closer to getting rid of the inferior race. Thanks to Miss Gwynne we have a direct connection to their so called leader. Soon the power will be mine.”

The Death Eaters cheered and Ginny felt the massive wave of sound grabbing her shoulders and pushing her backwards. Despair rushed over her as she realised what she had done. She had endangered every Muggle in England. She had let the way to their demise.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60319