Blood Ties by Sly Severus
Summary: A young woman feels as though she has lost it all, until she accidently runs into someone from her past.



For the December Challenge, The Winter Miracle Option. By Sly Severus of Slytherin House.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3197 Read: 1297 Published: 11/28/06 Updated: 12/07/06

1. Chapter 1 by Sly Severus

Chapter 1 by Sly Severus
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




Complete exhaustion and grief wracked her body. She could hear animal-like cries escaping her throat, but was barely aware that the sounds were truly coming from her. It didn’t matter. Only one thing mattered and she was helpless to do anything about it. Finally, she collapsed in a snow bank just outside of Hogsmeade, sobbing softly.

She had fought so hard to have her perfect little life. All she wanted was a happily ever after with her husband and daughter. She gave up everything to have it and she had never looked back. She had been happy with her family. Not once did she doubt her choice. But she was about to lose everything she fought for. The light of her life was slowly fading into oblivion.

Off in the distance, she could hear happy families singing Christmas carols. They were celebrating Christmas Eve. They were happy. Their families were intact. She hated each of them as she sobbed. What right did they have to be happy when such a horrible thing was happening to someone so innocent?

She had no idea how long she lay there. It really didn’t matter. She had only sadness, grief, and the taunts of death to return to. Her body didn’t even register the coldness of the snow. She was too lost in her pain to notice miniscule things like physical feelings.

Close by she heard a door creak opened. She didn’t raise her head. What difference did any of it make to her?

Then she heard a woman laugh. It was a familiar laugh.

“I can’t go home now,” the laughing woman said. “I have to get something. Call it last minute Christmas shopping.”

“But your sister will be there and whoever else you invited.”

The woman laughed again. She sounded so content”so care free. “You agreed to have a Christmas party. Now I’m sure you can entertain our guests for a half hour or so. I really need to pick something up. I assure you, it will be worth it if you let me go.”

The man chuckled. “All right, I’ll go back to the house and play host, but please don’t be long. I don’t wish to scare them all off.”

“I won’t.”

There was a loud pop and the man was gone.

The snow crunched under her feet as the woman began to walk down the street. She stopped abruptly and gasped. When she finally spoke all the warmth had left her voice. “What are you doing here, you filthy blood traitor?”

The sobbing woman looked up. It was dark and her vision was blurred from tears, but the figure standing above her was easily recognizable. The tall thin woman, with thick black hair, cold black eyes, and an evil smirk, glared down at her. Andromeda would have known her anywhere. She had known who she was when she first laughed.

“Please, leave me alone, Bellatrix. I’m sobbing on the ground, exactly where you think I belong. What more could you want?”

“Well, it is refreshing to see that you have learned where blood traitors belong,” Bella told her coldly. “And to imagine you started out with the purest of blood.”

Andromeda felt as though she had been slapped. Fresh tears came to her eyes.

“I have Black blood, Bellatrix, and I can tell you now that it is useless. It won’t even save my daughter.” When the words left her mouth, she buried her head in her hands, allowing herself to cry freely, hoping Bellatrix would have the good sense to leave her alone with her grief.

Of course, she didn’t. Bellatrix had never had the good sense to walk away from anything in her life.

However, when she spoke to Andromeda again, her voice had softened. She sounded more like the sister Andromeda had grown up with than the cold monster she had become.

“I didn’t even know you had a daughter. With the Mudblood, I suppose. What’s wrong with her?”

“Yes, she’s Ted’s daughter,” Andromeda snapped. “And why do you care what’s wrong with her? Do you want to go back to all your pureblood friends and tell them about her death and how glorious it will be to have one less half-blood in the world?”

Bellatrix looked slightly taken aback and then she did something truly shocking. She sat down beside her sister on the snow bank. “No, Andy, I do not wish to gloat about your child’s death. I asked because I’m concerned about my niece. She may be the daughter of a Mudblood but that’s not her fault. She’s still my niece.”

Andromeda looked at her as though she was trying to decide if her sister was speaking the truth. Everything she had just said went against every pureblood belief they had been taught.

“I mean it, Andy,” Bellatrix told her. “I know we’re not close anymore, and we never will be again. That doesn’t mean I want my niece to die or that I’m going to leave you alone to mourn on Christmas Eve. Please, tell me what’s happening.”

Andromeda started to cry again, but she managed to choke out a response. “Her blood is low. She needs a transfusion, it’s a Muggle procedure but there’s nothing else they can do for her. My blood doesn’t match hers and neither does Ted’s. Everyone we know has been tested but no one is a match. She inherited the rare strain that is in our family. No one can help her. Now there’s nothing left for me to do but watch my little girl die. I couldn’t even get her the Christmas present she wanted. I came down here tonight to get it and I don’t even have enough in the bank to buy it. Ted and I have been missing so much work to stay with Nympy that we’re broke.”

Bellartix reached out and pulled her sister into her arms. She cradled Andromeda back and forth like she used to when they were children. Bellatrix had always been able to calm her sister, but back then they had been dealing with trivial matters. It was a little harder to comfort someone who was going to lose a child.

“What about the Blood-Replenishing Potion?” Bellatrix asked as she stroked her sister’s hair.

“Her blood is so low that it doesn’t work. She needs a transfusion, Bella, and I can’t help her.”

“But I can,” Bellatrix whispered into her sister’s ear. “If your daughter has inherited the rare Black blood type, I can help her. I have it too.”

Andromeda sat up and stared into her sister’s eyes. “You would do that? You would help my daughter? You would give your blood to someone whom you consider unclean?”

“Andy, she’s my niece. Did you really think I would stand by and let her die if I could prevent it?”

Andromeda stared down at the snow. The honest answer was yes. She never thought her sister would agree to help her daughter. She had known there was a chance Bella or Narcissa would have the same blood type as Nymphadora, but she didn’t go to either of them for help. She never dreamed either of them would be willing to donate blood to a half-blood, especially Bellatrix.

If Bellatrix was offended by her lack of answer, she did not show it.

“What does she want for Christmas?” Bella asked.

“I’m sorry?” Andromeda asked, confused by the sudden change of subject.

“What does your daughter want for Christmas? What gift did you come here to get?”

“She wants a toy broom. You remember them; we had them when we were kids,” Andromeda replied.

Bellatrix smiled, remembering what it was like to be young and want such things. She squeezed her sister’s arm and rose from the ground. “Wait here,” she said simply. “I’ll be right back.”

“Where are you going?”

“To get my niece a Christmas present. Although, I’m assuming it will be a little while before she can play with that. I’ll pick her up a few other things as well.”

“You don’t have to do that. You’re already going to give her the best present there is.”

“How old is she?”

“Four.”

“I doubt very much she’ll think of blood as present. Let me give her a good Christmas.”

“Won’t Rodolphus be upset if you spend money on people like us?”

“Rodolphus wouldn’t notice if I purchased a small island. He’s not much of financial manager.”

“You really don’t have to do this.”

“I want to.”

“Thank you, Bella.”

“You’re welcome,” Bellatrix replied as she walked off to the nearest store to buy her niece’s presents.

Andromeda did not stand up. She was still in awe over all that had just happened. Bellatrix was going to help her daughter. The sister that had vowed to hate her for all eternity was going to save her only child. Maybe Christmas miracles really were possible.

She remained seated in the snow until her sister returned clutching a bag. Bellatrix extended her arm to Andromeda.

“Come on, Andy,” she said softly. “Let’s go take care of my little niece.”

Andromeda smiled as she accepted her sister’s hand.

Seconds later, they both disappeared with a loud pop. They reappeared in a crowded waiting room inside St Mungo’s.

Andromeda grabbed her sister’s hand and led her down the hall. “I’ll find Nymphadora’s Healer or would you like to meet your niece first?”

Bellatrix hesitated. “No,” she replied at last. “We should do the procedure first. The sooner we do it, the sooner she can start recovering.”

Andromeda nodded as they continued down the hall.

All the sudden, Andromeda’s eyes lit up and she took off at a run. Bellatrix nearly tripped over her feet trying to keep up with her.

“Velma,” she cried rushing towards a tired looking woman, with bright red hair. She looked only slightly older than Bellatrix.

“Andromeda,” the woman said warmly. “It’s nice to see you, dear. Is everything all right? How’s Nymphadora holding up?”

“She’s still holding on, but I have great news,” Andromeda spoke quickly, and gestured towards Bellatrix. “This is my sister. She has the same blood strain as Nymphy and she’s willing to do the transfusion.”

Velma turned her attention to Bellatrix, her eyes flashing with excitement. It appeared that she had grown rather attached to young Nymphadora Tonks. “Is this true?” she asked. “You’re willing to go through with a transfusion for your niece?”

Bellatrix looked stunned. Why did everyone think she would leave this child to die? She might not be the nicest person in the world, but she still clung to humanity.

“Yes, of course,” she replied.

“I’ll need to see you alone,” the Healer told Bellatrix.

“That’s fine.”

Andromeda threw her arms around her sister’s shoulders. “Thank you so much,” she whispered.

“You’re very welcome,” Bella replied as Andromeda released her. And then she followed the Healer through the crowded halls to an empty examination room.

Velma took a seat on a rather uncomfortable looking chair and motioned Bellatrix towards the examination table. Bellatrix obeyed without comment.

“Miss Black,” Velma began.

“It’s Mrs. Lestrange, but Bella is fine.”

The Healer smiled slightly. “All right, Bella. I don’t know how much your sister explained to you. But I do know how the Black family feels about Muggle interventions. I do need to tell you that that is exactly what this procedure is. However, all magical attempts to heal your niece have failed. This is her only chance.”

“I understand that and I am willing to go through with the procedure.”

“I’m very glad,” Velma replied as some of the tension left her shoulders. “First, we will need to test your blood to ensure that you are a match for your niece. We can do this the traditional way. After that we will have to switch to Muggle methods. I will need to draw blood from you using a needle. It will be a fair amount of blood and you will feel tired and weak afterwards. Then your blood will be injected into your niece using the same method. Once that is complete we will continue Nymphadora on a treatment of the Blood-Replenishing Potion. She should be back to herself within a week.”

“Are there any risks to her?”

“No,” Velma replied. “When we test your blood for a match, we also ensure that there is nothing that can harm her. There is no danger to either of you.”

Bellatrix nodded.

“Are you ready to begin?”

“Yes.”

*


An hour or so later, Bellatrix lay on the examination table feeling very ill. It felt as though she hadn’t slept in days and she wasn’t certain that she could stand up. She was starting to wonder what they had done to her.

Velma entered the room with a large smile on her face. “Not feeling to well?” she asked as she handed Bellatrix a small vial. “Drink this. It’s just Blood-Replenishing Potion. It will help you recover from the blood loss.”

She quickly downed the potion, anxious to get her strength back.

“How is Nymphadora?”

“She’s doing wonderfully,” Velma beamed. “We’ve already started her on the potion. She’s bright eyed and talking about Christmas. Her parents couldn’t be happier. You did a really wonderful thing for your sister and her family.”

Bellatrix could already feel her strength returning. She wished that it could have been this easy for her niece.

“Feeling better?” Velma asked her.

She nodded. “Why didn’t the potion work on my niece?”

“Her blood was unusually low. The potion wasn’t strong enough to help her, but now, because of you, her blood is higher and the potion will help.”

“I’m glad I could help her. Can I go now?”

“Yes, you’ll be fine.”

Bellatrix motioned to the bag of gifts she had purchased for her niece, which had been tossed on the floor near the examination table. “Can you take that to my sister, please?”

“Aren’t you going to see her yourself? I know she wants to thank you again. And I’m certain your niece will want to see you.”

“I”I can’t see them,” she stuttered. “I have to get home.”

“Surely, it can wait. You just save your niece’s life.”

“It really can’t wait,” Bellatrix replied harshly. “Can you please pass the bag along to my sister?”

Velma nodded, looking stunned. “Of course, dear,” she replied, retrieving the bag from the floor.

Quickly, Bellatrix got to her feet. She was relieved to find that she was not hit by another wave of fatigue. The potion had done its job and she was able to go.

She left the room without another word to Velma.

She knew that it would be smart to Apparate from the hospital to her home, but she didn’t want to. It had been a trying evening. All she really wanted was some fresh air. She wasn’t quite ready to go home and face a house full of drunken Death Eaters celebrating the holidays. It wasn’t as if Rodolphus would be missing her. By the time Lucius got a few firewhiskeys in him, he would forget who she was.

Her decision was made. She hurried through the halls of the hospital, pleased to see that they were no longer so full. Relief hit her when she reached the exit. She pushed open the door and was greeted by the crisp coldness that was December. It felt good. She walked into it, allowing the door to blow closed behind her.

She loved being outside. It gave her time to think. What she had done that night was crazy. It went against everything she had ever been taught. But how could she leave her niece to die? Andromeda may have been a traitor, but she was still Bella’s sister. Some things were just more important than family honor and pureblood beliefs.

The snow crunched beneath her feet as she walked. It was a peaceful night, perfect for Christmas Eve. She thought of all the families who would be celebrating together. She remembered when she used to celebrate with her family as a child. She would spend Christmas with her sisters and her two little cousins. That had been so long ago. So much had changed.

Bellatrix was so lost in her memories of Christmas past that she didn’t hear the hurried footsteps behind her.

“Bella,” Andromeda finally called out.

She turned to face her sister.

“Where are you going? How could you just leave like that? I want you to meet my daughter.”

“Andy, as much as I would love to, I cannot meet your daughter. I’m glad that I could help you. I will always be grateful that fate allowed us to cross paths tonight, but nothing has changed. We will both go back to our lives. Andy, I am still a Death Eater. I have no place in your life or in your daughter’s life. It will do her no good to meet me. She is better off not knowing that her Aunt Bella even exists. I would prefer that you never tell her what I did tonight. I do not want her to feel that she owes me anything.”

“My whole family owes you, Bella. You saved my daughter’s life.”

“I want nothing from any of you. Just go back to your family and enjoy Christmas.”

“You’re my family too,” tears glistened in her eyes as she spoke.

Bellatrix reached out and pulled her sister into a hug. “You will always be my sister and if you really need me, I’ll be there, but our lives aren’t intertwined anymore. We have chosen different paths and I need to get back to mine.”

Andromeda pulled away. “Are you going to be punished for what you did tonight?”

“No one is going to know other than you and me.”

Andromeda nodded. “Thank you, Bella.”

Bellatrix smiled at her sister as a clock began to chime in the distance. It was midnight, officially Christmas morning.

Again, Bellatrix hugged her sister, “Happy Christmas, Andy,” she whispered before hurrying off into the night.

Andromeda watched as her big sister disappeared into the darkness. A tear ran down her face”a tear of gratitude. She would never forget the gift that her sister had given her.

“Happy Christmas, Bella,” she whispered into the darkness, and then turned to go back into the hospital to be with her family.


This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60621