Conversation With An Angel by KASK
Summary: James needs a miracle to get Lily to give him a chance. Luckily, Christmas is the time of miracles. From a simple conversation with a mysterious woman in Hogsmeade, James finds the courage to tell Lily how he feels.

Winner of the the Winter Tales challenge 'A Winter Miracle'.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2073 Read: 2289 Published: 11/30/06 Updated: 12/07/06

1. Conversation With An Angel by KASK

Conversation With An Angel by KASK
Author's Notes:
It's all JK's. But I do hope you enjoy it. I love Christmas, so I had a really good time writing this. :)

Thanks to my Beta, Abigail. You helped so much!!
James Potter grinned as he entered his dorm. It was decorated, as the Marauders did every year. They had strung blinking Christmas lights across the walls, and a ten-foot shimmering Christmas tree stood in the corner. It was decked with strings of popcorn, tinsel, shining baubles and lights. A small music box played melodious Christmas tunes in the corner. Atop the tree was a beautiful angel. She had blonde hair so pale that it looked white, which was pulled back in a bun under her halo and olive-green eyes. Her hands were together, as if she were praying, and her heavenly face smiled serenely.



“I love Christmas!” exclaimed Sirius with a grin, as he walked in behind James and hummed along with the music. “No better time of year.”



“I know,” James replied in a trance-like state, standing admiringly at the twinkling tree.



“Are you finished shopping?” Remus asked from his bed, looking pleased at their hard work. It took them a long time to decorate the way they did, but with the help of magic and the enjoyment they got from it, none of the four boys considered it too rigorous.



“No, I need a few more things. I’ll finish up at Hogsmeade on Saturday,” answered James, his eyes still fixed on the tree.



“Still haven’t found the perfect gift for Evans?” asked Sirius, with a sympathetic glance.



James shook his head. “I need something that shows her how much I’ve changed. I need something to show her how much I care, so that she’ll see me differently.”



Sirius sighed. “What you need is a miracle, Prongs.”



James’ eye was caught by the angel on top of the tree, the way her light green eyes, almost yellow, seemed to be looking at him. They were full of hope; they were encouraging; they were rooting for him.



“Good thing it’s the season of miracles.”



**



After two hours of fruitlessly searching through Hogsmeade for a gift for Lily, James was on the verge of giving up. Two hours and he was still empty handed. He was ready to pull his hair out, and that was saying something because he was quite fond of his jet-black locks. It was just that nothing seemed to be the right present.



James took a seat outside an abandoned shop farther away from the heart of Hogsmeade. The shop had closed some twenty years ago, judging from the date on the sign that read CLOSED. He had never noticed the shop before, but he honestly wasn’t paying much attention to where he was sitting. He just needed a place to regroup, a place to gather his head and think, before he gave up completely.



There weren’t many people around, but there weren’t many stores either. Some people did walk by though. They were laughing merrily, their breath fogging the air and instantly disappearing, bundled tightly against the cold weather. Some moved quickly to escape the cold; others enjoyed the crisp December weather. James envied them “ they were so happy. They didn’t have to worry about buying a gift for the one girl that was a complete mystery to him.



He glanced next to him, more out of frustration than anything else. The seat that once was empty wasn’t anymore. Instead, a lady was sitting there. James hadn’t seen nor felt her sit next to him.



The lady wasn’t elderly, but she certainly wasn’t young either. Elderly was just the wrong word; she was in her early sixties, but elderly didn’t suit her. She had hair that had been blonde once “but was now the colour of ivory “ pulled back in a low bun. At first glance, her eyes seemed to shine like gold, but further examination revealed that they were really a pale, light green. Her skin was creamy and radiant. She wore a long cream-coloured cloak with violet trim. There was something eerily familiar about the woman, yet James couldn’t place her



“Merry Christmas,” she said, her voice pure and lyrical.



“Merry Christmas,” repeated James with reservation.



“No luck with shopping?” she asked conversationally, as if she and James were friends, not strangers sitting on a bench. He shook his head, still upset that he couldn’t find a present for Lily. “Someone important?”



James nodded, moving onto the stage of disappointment.



“You shan’t give up. It isn’t about the gift; it’s about what’s behind the gift. She’ll know how you feel, and it won’t be because of the present.



James laughed bitterly. “You don’t know this girl. Without some amazing gift, she won’t give me the time of day.”



The stranger looked at him knowingly. “I do know the girl and she will give you a chance, but I’m telling you, it won’t be because of the gift. Lily has more feelings than you know. She’s just waiting for you to prove that she is more to you than something to be won.”



James looked at the woman. Who was she? How did she know Lily?



“From the heart?” he asked. The cream-haired woman nodded. “She isn’t a trophy to me.” James decided to go along with what the woman was saying. Asking questions seemed pointless.



“I know,” answered the woman simply.



“She’s everything to me. She’s the one person I couldn’t live without. I see her everyday, for hours usually, but at the end of the day, I still miss her. I feel as though it hadn’t been enough. It’s never enough. I think she’s the only one I could ever be happy with, and I don’t even know why. I mean, I don’t know her that well. She’s never been too friendly to me, although we’ve been getting on better this year. It’s just a feeling I have. Something about her, I suppose. She’s my sky. I know we’d be great together. She just doesn’t believe me.”



“James,” interrupted the stranger. He looked at her, not realising that he had gone off. “I know. I know what you feel for her. It’s real. Lily needs to know, though.”



“You’re right,” admitted James. “Of course you’re right. I have to tell Lily how I feel.” The only question was how.



“You haven’t told her much of that, have you?” asked the woman, smiling. James shook his head guiltily.



The lady laughed. “She’ll have an earful.” James grinned, filled with a sudden hope. That was it. He hadn’t told Lily how he really felt “ not completely.



“In the meantime,” continued the woman, “try that shop.” She pointed behind them. James turned around to see where she was looking.



The abandoned shop had sprung to life. The windows were decorated for Christmas, and a tinkle of music penetrated the large front window. Inside, the shop was full of trinkets “ jewellery, hand-carved, exquisitely decorated music boxes and other things.



James stared at the quaint shop for a moment, before looking back to the woman. She was nowhere to be seen. With a gust of flurried snow, she was gone, just as she had appeared.



“I didn’t tell her my name,” whispered James, looking at the empty space where she had been.



**



James couldn’t stop thinking about the encounter with the woman. It was so strange, how she appeared and in an instant was gone. He could only call it an angel encounter. That’s what he figured the woman to be. There was no other explanation. It didn’t even occur to him that she was a witch, who could, therefore, do magic. She knew too much to be just that.



On Christmas Eve, James walked down to the common room with a small gift in hand. He wanted to give it to Lily privately, before the craziness of Christmas Day ensued, so that it would be more special.



She came into the common room just as James walked down the stairs nervously.



“Lily,” he called. “Can I have a word?” Lily walked over to him. She was wearing a red and green Christmas jumper with little Christmas tree studs in her ears. Her dark red hair was partially pulled back, and her green eyes were dancing.





“Hi James,” she said breathlessly. Her cheeks were pink from the cold outside air. The snowflakes caught in her hair and eyelashes sparkled like little jewels.



“I wanted to give you this,” James said awkwardly, holding out the square box for Lily to take.



Lily smiled graciously. “I have something for you too, but it’s in my dorm. I was going to give it to you tomorrow.”



“Really?” James asked with surprise, letting out the breath he had been holding. He hadn’t expected anything from Lily. She nodded.



“Go on and open this first,” he urged. Lily untied the bow and carefully unwrapped the silver paper. Under the wrapping was a white box, which she opened. Inside was a maroon and gold Christmas tree bauble.



A series of enchanting pictures surrounded the ornament. It was so ornate that it must have taken the creator weeks to complete it. There was a silver Christmas tree with gifts, snow and carollers, St. Nick and stockings hung by a fire with care. A fire that gingerly roasted chestnuts. The scene wrapped around the decoration and fit flawlessly. Although the pictures were different, they were all of Christmas, and they all went together perfectly.



On the bottom of it, the words “I love you” were inscribed.



“James,” she breathed. “It’s gorgeous.” James smiled.



“Really,” Lily said, looking into his eyes. “It’s lovely.”



“Lily,” James murmured. “I really do love you. I’m not pretending or joking around. You’re the one I want to be with. That’s the only way I can say it. I would do anything for you. Seventeen or not, you’re the one for me.” His voice and face were so full of truth that Lily couldn’t hide it anymore. It was real. What she felt was real.



“I know,” Lily looked down and then back up at James. “I know how you feel. I think we’re finally on the same page,” she said, unsure of what to say. It was hard, after such a long time of being so unrelenting, to give in, to admit how she felt. But she knew the feelings weren’t going to fade anytime soon.



James gave a small smile, full of relief. Lily felt the same way. And as if it were an instinct, both James and Lily looked up.



“Mistletoe,” she whispered as his face drew closer to hers.



“Mistletoe,” he answered, knowing very well that the mistletoe had not been there a minute ago.



His lips were about to meet hers, but suddenly he turned and kissed her cheek. Lily tilted her head quizzically.



“I want to start slow,” he said seriously. “Lily Evans,” he said, looking into her eyes. They were bright and merry, as were James’. “Will you go to Hogsmeade with me?” Lily simpered.



“Yes, I will. But I don’t like slow much,” she said with a sly look. She took his face in her hands and kissed him full on the lips.



“There are no kisses on the cheek under mistletoe,” Lily said matter-of-factly. James let out a laugh.



“I like that rule.”



**



“I saw the kiss. Are you and Lily together?” Sirius asked, surprised.



James grinned wildly. “Yes,” he answered happily. He was walking on air.



“How’d that happen?” Sirius enquired, happy for his friend, but also curious. He wanted to make sure Lily’s gift didn’t contain some sort of love potion. If that happened, he would be forced to intervene, if only to save his friend’s pride.



James thought for a moment, gazing at the tree. The angel’s hands were no longer in together in prayer, but clasped contently in front of her, a smile almost on her lips. James thought for a moment; the angel looked familiar…



“I think it was a miracle,” he said, remembering the stranger he had met. “Someone wanted us together.”



“Meant to be,” Remus said simply.



James gave a nod. “Meant to be,” he confirmed, almost to himself.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60703