You Said I Killed You - Haunt Me, Then! by just_the_contrary
Summary: Three years after Draco goes into hiding, Pansy pays him a visit that concludes with tears and promises. Pansy keeps her promise, as promised, in death. This is a two-chapter fic.



This is just_the_contrary of Ravenclaw House writing option two of the 'Things That Go Bump In the Night' prompt.
Categories: Draco/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1376 Read: 1665 Published: 11/30/06 Updated: 12/07/06

1. I Love My Murderer by just_the_contrary

I Love My Murderer by just_the_contrary
Author's Notes:
This story, as well as being written for the Winter Challenge, is based on the book Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. This chapter is based on my all-time favourite scene in literature, so I hope you like it!
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
The cold floors did not creak when he stepped on them, nor did they make any noise at all, even though the winter chill was enough to freeze a person to their very bones. The floor was enchanted, and for secrecy purposes, the young man stepping on it had enchanted it three years previously. Now he was hopeless, listless and maddeningly bored.

His door had not been opened for those same three years, and he heard the snow howl outdoors but never felt it; he heard the pitter-patter of the rain but never saw it soak his clothes. He was not trapped, however. He could leave the one-room flat if he pleased, but the consequence of this was not favourable. Death was not on his agenda.

So when he heard the twist of the doorknob, the one that had not been turned for three years, the young man’s ears perked up. He sat up straight and put down the quill he had been writing (long letters that would never be sent) with. The door didn’t creak, of course, but it opened. Behind the wooden door stood a young woman with dark brown hair and an upturned nose. She wore robes of purple so dark it was almost black.

She saw the young man, and he saw her, and he stood up; he couldn’t believe it, not after three years. He thought that if she hadn’t come within the first year she wouldn’t come at all. Nevertheless, there she was, standing in his doorway.

“Draco,” she said in a whisper.

Suddenly, the cold air that separated them vanished, and they were one in embrace. She gripped his hair as if to keep from falling over, for she was weak and he was strong.

“Pansy,” he rasped, leaning down and kissing her, not understanding what was happening. “Why? Why did you come?”

She moved her hands to his shoulders and steadied herself. “I needed to. I’ll tell you the story, I will.”

Draco hugged her fiercely, her arms locking around the back of his neck. “When?” he asked, not even caring about the answer, just wanting to speak to her.

“I fear…” she trailed off, and Draco searched her eyes for meaning. “What will you say?” she asked rhetorically.

“What is it?” Draco asked, wanting to know this time. There were so many things he wanted, all in that room.

“Oh, Draco,” Pansy whispered. She kissed him again. “It’s not that simple. It’s not something I want to tell, but I must, and that’s why I came.”

Draco led her over to the chair by his desk, and she sat. He kneeled in front of her so his head was slightly lower than hers. He watched her as she wiped a tear from her eye.

“I’m here for three years,” Draco said, almost not believing it. “Why didn’t you come before?”

“I couldn’t,” Pansy murmured, holding one of Draco’s hands. “I couldn’t just disappear to visit you. You’re a convict, Draco, and no one could know that I knew where you are. Can you image what they would think? Dear me, I couldn’t take that risk.”

“You’re here now,” Draco stated.

“Only because I needed to see you once more,” Pansy uttered almost inaudibly. “Once more, before I can never see you again.”

“Why?” Draco demanded. “What’s happening?”

“I’m terribly unwell, Draco,” Pansy replied, trailing her fingers along the veins of his hand. “Nothing can cure me.”

“Surely there’s something,” he said, his breathing quicker. “You’ve looked?”

Pansy looked up, a sweet bitterness in her eyes. “No, I haven’t,” she said, looking back down. “I don’t wish to. I’m happier just… leaving. Draco, I have nothing left to live for.”

“And I have?” Draco demanded. “Look at all I’ve got! A life of solitude? I’ve got no one, nothing, Pansy, and I’m still bloody living!”

“My heart is broken,” Pansy whispered, pressing Draco’s hand against her faintly beating heart. “Can’t you see?”

There was silence between them for a few moments until Pansy finally spoke again.

“Draco,” she said, looking into his eyes with a look of pure distress. “I couldn’t wait for you. Who knew how long you’d be hiding? And can you imagine the disgrace to my family if I had married you? A convict! Imagine! Pansy Parkinson, running off to marry her childhood sweetheart “ ”

“Childhood sweetheart?” Draco nearly spat. “We were much more than that, Pansy, and you know it. What are you trying to say?”

“I couldn’t!” Pansy cried, tears flowing from her sparkling eyes. “Draco, I couldn’t wait for you! I couldn’t disgrace my family! I couldn’t run away! I had to, Draco! Oh, my love, forgive me, please, I had to!” She dissolved in sobs, her face red and tear-stained, her eyes rimmed with streaks of black from her mascara.

“Pansy!” Draco cried.

“I married Blaise!” Pansy wailed, hiding her face behind her hands, for she did not want to be seen. “I had to, he is so esteemed, he has money “ so much money “ and it’s what my parents wanted! I’m not in love with him, Draco! I don’t love him!”

“Blaise?” Draco repeated, breathless and unbelieving. “You… forgot about me and married him?”

“Don’t be angry!” Pansy cried. “I don’t love him! I love you!”

“Don’t be angry?” Draco yelled, standing up. “How can I not be angry? I love you, Pansy! Here you are, surrendering yourself, killing yourself!”

“Me?” Pansy bawled, standing up to join her love. “I have not killed myself! You’ve killed me! If it wasn’t for you, I could happily live with Blaise!”

“I would never kill you! How dare you accuse me of such a crime? I could do other things, like the reason I am locked up in this hellhole in the first place, but kill my love? Never! You are the only one responsible for your death!”

“I couldn’t run off with you, Draco! Think of my family’s disgrace! I couldn’t, I just couldn’t!”

She ran into his arms and he held her brutally. She kissed him angrily, as if she was trying to give him her anger. He, too, was filled with the emotion and so they exchanged it over and over again, heatedly, passionately, until Pansy went limp in his arms.

“How can I love this?” Draco whispered roughly, tilting Pansy’s head up and looking furiously into her eyes. “How can I love the murderer of both of us?”

Pansy reached up and touched his face, and Draco didn’t respond. “I can’t keep living without you,” she murmured. “I must die. There’s nothing else to do.”

“You’ve killed yourself!” Draco cried, grasping Pansy’s hands harshly and squeezing them so hard she whimpered softly. “What makes you think I can live without you? Never leave me, Pansy! For if you do, I will die, too. Don’t leave me alone, ever, even in death “ in death you shall never leave me, because in life you’ve done just that!”

“What’s happened to you?” Pansy sobbed. “What’s happened? Where’s the Draco I knew, the one who didn’t cry, the one who’s so different than the one I see now?”

“What’s happened to you? The Pansy I used to know wouldn't blubber like this, quivering and crying hopelessly. When did you give up?”

“When I realized I lost you!” she cried, sobbing into his shoulder. “I can’t have you, so why am I here? If I cannot have you, I shan’t have anything!”

During a break in her fragmented sobs Draco kissed her again. Pansy’s tears dripped down her face, resting on their lips and dissolving within them.

"I must go," she nearly choked.

“Just promise,” Draco breathed heavily, “to never leave. Don’t leave me alone.”

Pansy broke out of the embrace and hurried to the door. “I promise,” she said, and she walked out the door.

It did not creak.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60721