Questioning the Freak and the Whale by Phenioxsong22
Summary: Lily has planned this meeting from the day she and James began dating. First, there would be the greetings between James and her parents. Then, dinner would come. This would be closely followed by a time to just chat and have her parents and boyfriend become acquainted with each other. Everything would be perfect. But this all changes after her sister’s insufferable boyfriend shows up, “Black” magic goes haywire, and her parents don’t return from ‘their honeymoon all over again’ until the next day. Couples battle it out, and it seems no one will make it out in one piece after three arm wrestling matches, a bounding black dog, and an angry exchange. This meeting is certainly not going as planned...

Chapter 7 Updated!!
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 22705 Read: 29878 Published: 12/04/06 Updated: 11/26/08

1. An Angry Exchange and Nervous Pacing by Phenioxsong22

2. Glares, Glares, and More Glares by Phenioxsong22

3. Threatening the Whale by Phenioxsong22

4. Vernon’s Long Lost Cousin by Phenioxsong22

5. What is Love? by Phenioxsong22

6. That Whole Stomping Foot Thing by Phenioxsong22

7. Worlds Forever Divided by Phenioxsong22

An Angry Exchange and Nervous Pacing by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: This world belongs to J.K. Rowling, not me.
A young woman sat in blissful happiness. Here she was, in complete silence, painting her toes a perfect pink color. The woman smiled, glad to shed off her worries for at least a few hours. She knew that in the evening however, the worries would, once again, spring into her mind. Vernon was coming over and everything had to be just right. Petunia Evans grinned once more; she couldn’t believe how relaxed she was. No concerns, no annoying sister, no noise”Tap. Petunia looked up and sighed; her ideal world just couldn’t last. She continued to listen closely, waiting for the door to open, but it stayed tightly shut. Huffing angrily, Petunia began to paint solid coats on her nails once more. Tap .

“Who is it?” Petunia yelled impatiently. Why did they have to interrupt her now? Another woman slid into the room at the sound of Petunia’s voice. The woman’s fiery red hair cascaded down her back, and her temper was, for once, in careful check. Petunia narrowed her eyes at the sight of the younger woman, asking herself what she could possibly want. Petunia watched how Lily Evans’s green eyes sparkled as they peered at Petunia. Those eyes were daring Petunia to throw their owner out of the room. But Petunia knew better”Lily could legally do magic now. No way was she stupid enough to give her sister an excuse to have that nonsense performed on her. Lily stood quietly, her arms crossed and her eyes still dancing. The luminous color of them had always made Petunia jealous. Of course, perfect Lily had to get the eyes that made boys feel lost in them. But not all boys, Petunia reminded herself. Vernon certainly could care less about them, and that was what mattered.

Petunia and Lily continued to wait in silence. Both were too stubborn to be the first one to speak. Petunia couldn’t help but peek at her sister’s eyes again. Those orbs were shining with something that hadn’t been there last summer. Petunia’s scrutiny moved to her sister’s entire face. Lily’s face was beaming; in fact it looked as if Lily had never been happier. What could be making Lily this delighted? It certainly wasn’t her.

“Petunia,” started Lily, “how are you?”

“What do you want?” snapped Petunia. Inside she smiled; she had always won this little silence game. Lily was too impatient.

Lily stared at her sister’s abrupt answer, but Petunia just rolled her eyes. What did Lily expect her to say? The two hadn’t been on speaking terms since Lily had gotten her letter. Why would anything have changed now

“What do you want, Lily?” Petunia asked again. Personally, she wanted to return to the silence and solitude she had previously obtained. But Lily was ruining it…like always.

“A favor…I need a favor,” Lily finally returned icily. Petunia laughed to herself; she could irritate Lily like no one else could.

But Lily’s words suddenly impacted Petunia. A favor…I need a favor What? Lily needs a favor? From me? She can’t be serious! But as Petunia looked at the expression on her sister’s face, she realized Lily was indeed so. Knowing this, Petunia erupted into laughter. “You want me to do something for you? Are you mental?"

“Petunia, for once in your pathetic life, help me out!” Lily snapped.

"No."

“This is important

“And I care why?” Petunia asked with a shrug.

Lily frowned at her before repeating, “I need a favor.”

“And what can I do?” drawled Petunia, screwing on the cap to the nail polish.

“I have a friend coming over and”” Lily started, trying to get right to the point.

“Which freak did you invite this time?” interrupted Petunia. “The fat one who was silent the entire time I was near her or the weirdo with rainbow hair that never shut-up?”

“At least Abrianna has more personality than you, and Alice is not fat!” Lily defended her friends furiously.

Petunia snorted.

“And you shouldn’t be talking!” continued Lily. “You’re dating a man who is as big as a walrus!”

“Vernon is big-boned!” said Petunia defensively.

“Yeah, so is a whale!”

The two sisters glared at each other before Petunia asked again, “So which one of the freaks is coming?”

“Neither,” Lily replied bitterly, “It’s a boy this time.” Lily’s face lifted into a small smile at the thought of her boyfriend, James Potter.

“A boy”Aww, has little Lily finally let someone into her heart?” taunted Petunia.


Lily flushed but stayed silent.

“So when is your boyfriend coming over?”

“Tonight,” answered Lily, ignoring the jibe.

Petunia suddenly went rigid, her face showing fear. “No,” she said, panicking.

“What do you mean ‘No’?” asked Lily, bewildered.

“Your boyfriend is not coming over tonight,” said Petunia quietly.

“WHAT?” exploded Lily, “Of course, James is coming! You have no right to make that call! I should have known you would do this to me! James is coming whether you like it or not!”

“No, he’s not!” Petunia yelled back, “Vernon is supposed to visit tonight; nothing can go wrong!”

“I don’t care about your precious whale !” shouted Lily.

“MY BOYFRIEND IS NOT A WHALE!” screeched Petunia,

“WHY ARE YOU SO OPPOSED TO MY BOYFRIEND?” screamed Lily.

“I will not have Vernon placed into any danger because of a freak!”

“JAMES IS NOT A FREAK!” shouted Lily, outraged.

“This is the first time Vernon will be meeting our father. It will not be ruined because of your so-called boyfriend!” insisted Petunia.

“Well, this is the first time James will be meeting dad. What’s the difference?” seethed Lily.

“Vernon is a real boyfriend,” retorted Petunia.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Lily said in a dangerously low voice.

“I mean he isn’t an alcoholic who will toss me away without a second thought. Vernon isn’t a freak,” replied Petunia nastily.

“DON’T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT JAMES LIKE THAT! YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW HIM!” bellowed Lily, pulling out her wand.

“Put that stick away!” Petunia cowered in fear.

“Then take it back!” Both sisters stared daggers at each other until, finally, Petunia relinquished.

“I-I take it back,” She said, her eyes never leaving her sister’s wand.

Lily slowly lowered her wand, her eyes still blazing.

“James loves me; no one can take that away,” Lily said, daring her sister to disagree.

“I’m sure he does,” Petunia replied sarcastically, her confidence returning now that the wand was nowhere in sight.

“You’ll see how much James and I love each other when he comes over tonight ,” Lily said confidently.

“I hope I won’t be seeing anything.”

“Then don’t open any bedroom doors.”

“Lily!” exclaimed Petunia aghast.

“I’m only joking,” Lily said with a laugh, her anger ebbing away slightly as thoughts of James filled her mind.

Petunia continued to look suspiciously at Lily but changed the subject.

“Now, what was this favor?”

“I want you to be nice to James,” replied Lily.

Petunia laughed dryly. “And why should I do that?”

“Because you’ll find your arse floating above a busy intersection if you don’t,” warned Lily.

Petunia narrowed her eyes before saying, “Fine. I’ll be civil to James , but only if you promise not to threaten Vernon.”

“I haven’t threatened him!” exclaimed Lily.

“What about last time he came over? You told him that you’d turn him into what he was, a pig.”

“That was only because he told me I ate too much for a lady…when he was shoveling in his fifth helping!” defended Lily.

“I really don’t care what Vernon was doing at the time, but tonight, if you terrorize Vernon, I swear I’ll make you regret it,” warned Petunia.

“What are you going to do? Gossip about me?”

“I’ll make sure James dumps you.”

“Like he would ever do that,” said Lily sarcastically though her face had paled the slightest bit.

“Compromise with me then.”

“Fine, but you’d better be polite, or I’ll make your own life miserable,” Lily threatened back.

“I’ll be civil as long as you are,” replied Petunia.

Lily nodded once and walked toward the door. She paused briefly, holding the doorknob, before adding, “Vernon would look better as a pig though.” Lily skidded out of the room as a pillow flew towards her head.

***

Miles and miles away, four young men lounged in a three story mansion. Everything should have been to their comfort seeing as six house elves bended to their every need, and other luxuries surrounded them. But even with all of this wealth, one man with messy dark hair and hazel eyes was frantically pacing back and forth. James Potter was nervous“more nervous than he had ever been in his entire life. So he continued to pace, trying to think of a way to greet her parents.

Three other men were also in the room, though unlike James, they were perfectly at ease. The first man also had black hair, but his hung in an elegant way down to his shoulders. The young man had been talking for almost an hour straight, and he had no intension of letting up. Sirius Black’s gray eyes were animated as he chattered, both with his mouth and his hands, about his latest date. Sirius was completely absorbed in his memories; therefore, he didn’t notice that no one was paying him the slightest bit of attention.

The third man in the room looked tired and ill. His sandy colored hair seemed to be tinted with gray, and his skin had an unhealthy hue to it. A book was in his hands and Remus Lupin’s eyes never left the pages, though he nodded absently every once and a while to Sirius’s jabber.

The last of the men was a rather chubby fellow. His watery eyes darted to James then Sirius then Remus. He was gnawing on a Sugar Quill and was also ignoring Sirius’s rather detailed date. And though Peter Pettigrew’s eyes were watching, his brain was buzzing with the latest news he had heard. Apparently, the Quidditch World Cup would be held soon, and Peter couldn’t wait for it to begin. All four boys were in their own world and only Sirius’s jabber surrounded them…

“Her blond hair reached down to her shoulders, but it could have gone with a brushing, in my opinion.”

Remus just nodded, reading his latest page

“…Then I told her my joke about the hag, the vampire, and the bartender…”

Everyone stayed as they were.

“And then, she giggled in the most annoying way, but I really didn’t care, seeing as we had just”” Sirius suddenly stopped, finally noticing James’s frenzied pacing. He grinned as he recognized his friend’s way of showing nerves.

“Not nervous are we, Prongs?” Sirius asked mockingly, leaning back on the hind legs of the chair he sat in.

James looked up at the sound of his nickname.

“Me? Nervous? Marauders are never nervous!” He declared, though the hand ruffling his hair contradicted his statement.

“Why is your voice higher than usual then?” asked Peter.

“…yeah, it sounds like a mouse’s,” provoked Sirius.

“And why are you pacing?” pointed out Peter again

“…continually,” said Sirius.

“And why are you ruffling your hair…” spotted Remus.

“…every five minutes,” added Sirius with a grin.

“Ok, so I’m a little nervous,” started James but when six raised eyebrows greeted his statement, he corrected himself. “Ok, so I’m really nervous. But why should I be? I mean I’m only going to be meeting Lily””

“A girl who has hated you with every fiber of her body for six whole years…” input Sirius.

“”and her parents,” continued James, ignoring Sirius.

“Who had Lily and must come from the same gene pool as Lily, so they will most likely hate you for six whole years…” said Sirius in a sing-song voice.

“…It should be no big deal!” finished James, though his face had paled noticeably.

“Prongs, don’t listen to the prat over here,” Remus said, pointing at Sirius, “He's just trying to get inside your head.”

“Well, it’s working,” muttered James, tousling his hair again,

“Besides, Sirius is just jealous of the fact he has never been brought home to meet the parents of his girlfriend,” added Peter.

“I have too!” protested Sirius.

“When?” asked Remus, putting down his book and raising one eyebrow at Sirius.

“That sixth year girl from Hufflepuff with the dark hair…she brought me home to meet her folks.”

“That was her older sister and brother, and you were at the Leaky Cauldron, not her house,” Remus said slowly.

“She doesn’t live in the Leaky Cauldron?” asked Sirius with wide eyes.

All three boys groaned.

“Has he always been this stupid?” asked Remus, smacking himself on the forehead.

“I’m afraid so,” answered Peter, shaking his head.

“Can we get back to my problem now?” said James impatiently. “We’ll be here for years if we try to get Sirius to understand that the girl does not live in the Leaky Cauldron.”

“Are you guys sure?” questioned Sirius suspiciously.

“YES!” The other Marauders responded exasperatedly.

“Now, what am I going to do?” James said, looking at Remus.

“Prongs, just be yourself,” Remus advised.

“That’s your advice?” said James.

"Yes."

“To be myself.”

“Yes.”

“That’s even worse than what Sirius said to do!”

“Hey! My advice was good!” exclaimed Sirius indignantly.

“When did Sirius give you advice?” questioned Peter.

“Yesterday, and let me tell you, it was something I did not want to hear,” said James.

Remus looked between the two and widened his eyes.

“Sirius! He can’t do that in front of her parents!” exclaimed Remus, scandalized.

“Well technically, it wouldn’t be in front of her parents, and I thought Prongs here would want to hear it from the best!” defended Sirius.

“You have a one-tracked mind that you need to get rid of Padfoot,” warned Remus.

“Guys, give me some helpful advice!” whined James.

“I just did!” said Remus.

“No, I need some advice that will actually work.”

“Why don’t we come with you?” suggested Peter.

James looked at him for a second before smiling broadly.

"That’s a great idea! Will you guys come with me?” James said, his color returning to normal.

“Can’t…full moon is in two days and according to the Ministry, I have to go to my ‘safe house’,” said Remus, his face darkening.

James looked at Remus, his own face now portraying anger. “I swear, once I’m a fully fledged Auror, I will get that law changed.”

“James”it’s really”,” started Remus.

“No. It’s not okay.”

Remus sighed before Peter began to talk, “I just remembered, I can’t either. I have to work later tonight.”

“I guess I’ll have to go alone then,” moaned James.

“What about me?!” exclaimed Sirius.

“No, you are not coming with me. You almost ruined my first date with Lily. Who knows what will happen this time!”

“How was I supposed to know you were the couple under the tree? I just wanted to try out my new water balloons!”

“Yeah, I had only talked about where I was taking her and what we were going to do on our date fifty billion times!”

“Pleeeeaaasssee let me go,” begged Sirius.

“No.”

“Fine. Just leave me here… all alone…with an ENTIRE mansion to myself. Where I can do whatever I want…” drew out Sirius.

“Prongs, remember what happened last time you left him alone,” warned Remus.

“Yeah, he almost burnt down the entire mansion!” squeaked Peter.

“Fine, you can go,” said James, defeated, “But if anything”I mean anything”goes wrong, I swear I will murder you."

“Deal!” said Sirius cheerfully.

James shook his head, hoping he wouldn’t regret his choice, although inside, he was happy to have his best mate come along.

“Well, let’s go!” cried Sirius, Apparating.

“You better go after him…who knows what he’ll say to Lily’s parents,” said Remus to James.

James paled yet again before he Apparated, leaving his two friends alone in the mansion.

“I bet five galleons James kills Sirius before two days is up,” Remus said with a grin.

“I bet Sirius is dead within two hours ," Peter countered.
Glares, Glares, and More Glares by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
It all belongs to Jo!
“Sirius? Sirius? Padfoot, where are you?” James searched fruitlessly. His best mate had been here for not even two minutes, and he was already causing trouble. James suddenly widened his eyes in alarm as new thoughts emerged in his head. What if Sirius was inside Lily’s house already? What if he blew something up? What if”
“I’m right here, Jamsie-Poo,” came Sirius’s voice after a while.

James whipped around to see Sirius leaning against a red-bricked house.

Sirius grinned at his best mate’s obvious relief as James quickly hurried over to him.

“Padfoot, now listen”” James started quickly, running a hand through his hair for what had to have been the millionth time that day

“I know. I know.” Sirius rolled his eyes. “Don’t blow anything up. Don’t think about blowing anything up, and don’t make someone else blow something up,” stated Sirius in a bored voice as if he had gone over this procedure many times before.

James nodded his head before adding, “Also, I need you to stay out here until I tell Lily that you are coming, too. Got it? Stay.”

“I will not be treated like a dog!” exclaimed Sirius, raising his arm in the air and pointing at the sky in order to make his point.

James smirked at the pun, and Sirius gave a small grin before continuing,

“Just because I’m Snuffles half of my life doesn’t mean I can be treated like him at every minute! I, Sirius Black”Hogwarts Number One Hottie”should be treated with respect!” finished Sirius dramatically.

“Padfoot, Padfoot. I think you might have hit your head recently. You know that you are Hogwarts Number Two Hottie; you can never live up to my standard,” said James, shaking his head in mock pity for his best mate.

“Prongs, my dear fellow, when will you learn? The girls like my gorgeous hair and mysterious eyes,” Sirius batted his eyelashes. “Plus, they like a rebel.”

“Well, Padfoot, old pal, you are the one mistaken. Girls like my mischievous manner and stunning good looks. And, they like a prankster.”

“You mean Lily likes your mischievous manner, stunning good looks, and prankster ways,” snorted Sirius.
“Hey, that’s what matters.” James shrugged.

“You do remember that Lily is waiting inside for you.”

James yelped, running a hand through his hair again before saying, “Padfoot, you stay out here until I tell you to come in, okay?”

“Prroonngsss…” whined Sirius.

“No! Stay out here! I need to prepare Lily for your arrival, and god knows what she’ll do. You two aren’t on the best of terms.”

“Was it my fault that she was thrown into the middle of the Slytherin table last year?” asked Sirius, throwing his hands into the air.

“Yes.”

“Well, she didn’t have to get into such a huff about it.”

“She landed into a pile of pudding,” remarked James.

“So,” argued Sirius, “I like pudding,”

“Well, Lily obviously didn’t.”

“Besides,” said Sirius, ignoring James’s last comment, “I was punished for my so-called crime most severely. Evans and I should be even.”

“I punished you; Lily has yet to. Besides, you know she keeps grudges for a long time.”

“But you made me bald! I had to walk around the school bald for a week!"

James snickered, remembering his payback.

“It wasn’t funny!” said Sirius, frustrated.

“You’re right. It wasn’t funny,” said James seriously.

Sirius nodded.

“It was hilarious!” James erupted into laughter.

“You prat! I lost half of my girlfriends that week! I was left with only six different girls. Six!” yelled Sirius, in a horrified voice, over James’s laughing.

“How truly dreadful,” mocked James, calming down enough to talk.

Sirius glared at him, and then smiled. “Prongs, you are the most forgetful person I know."

“What do you mean?” asked James, confused.

“One word,” said Sirius. “Lily.”

James yelped again before running to the door. “Padfoot, I’m begging you; stay out here!”

“Shouldn’t I be the one begging?” smirked Sirius.

James smiled briefly before turning toward the door. Here it goes. Then, he knocked.
**
Lily and Petunia were lounging in their family room, waiting for their guests. Neither was speaking to each other. There was dead silence except for the ticking of the clock and the hum of the washing machine. One sister had more to worry about than the other though. Petunia was doing all she could to stay composed, but this day was falling apart. Not only was this the first time Vernon would meet her father, but Lily’s freak-of-a-boyfriend was coming over. Petunia sighed. Why couldn’t Vernon have chosen any other day? He’d had many chances to meet her dad, but he always said he wanted to meet her father when the time was right. Why was now the right time? Petunia groaned to herself.

Lily shifted on the couch, causing Petunia to glance at her sister. Of course, Lily looked content. No signs of worry were etched on her face, and she was still beaming in that annoying way. Petunia frowned. Her sister’s life seemed so perfect…why did Lily have to be a one of them? Sisters were supposed to do everything together, but Petunia couldn’t do that with Lily. Lily was abnormal.

KNOCK! KNOCK! Both sisters jumped at the noise. Lily quickly slid off of the couch, almost bouncing as she flew towards the front door. Petunia narrowed her eyes. She wanted to meet the person who had succeeded in making Lily this happy.

At the sound of the door opening, Petunia sighed, closing her eyes briefly. It was going to be a long night.

**
Lily practically sprinted towards the door. The stillness was killing her. She had never been one who dealt well with silence. But then again, Petunia might as well have been yelling at her, the tension in the room was so thick.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

Lily slowed herself down enough to grab the doorknob. With no hesitation, she practically ripped the door open. Her sparkling green eyes met hazel ones. How she had missed those eyes! Lily noticed how James’s smile immediately broadened at the sight of her. It made her own smile even wider.

“Hey,” the messy haired boy said softly. Had James always looked this cute?

Lily quickly closed the space between them, touching her lips to his.

“Hey, yourself,” she answered as she pulled back. Then, she kissed him once more.

James laughed. “Did you miss me that much? I mean, I know I’m irresistible and all, but””

“Oh, just shut up and keep kissing me you prat!” interrupted Lily with her own laughter.

James quickly complied, but pulled back yet again as snickers emerged from the bushes behind him.

“Let’s go inside,” he suggested, glaring at what seemed like the empty space behind him.

Lily quickly let him in, closing the door behind them.

“I really have missed you,” she said, throwing her pony tail behind her shoulder.

“Me, too,” said James, smiling at Lily. “Are your parents here?”

“Not yet; they should be back in an about an hour.”

“Well, in that case……” replied James huskily.

The space between them was no more. Lily’s hand moved to James’s hair, reminding her how much she had missed this boy. James’s hand moved to the small of Lily’s back to bring her even closer when”

“Ahem!”

James backed off Lily so quickly it was as if a bomb had exploded between the two. Lily turned around, her lips slightly swollen, to see her sister glaring daggers at her.

Lily smoothed her clothes before returning the glare. “What do you want, Petunia?”

“I wanted to see what was taking you so long,” Petunia glowered, “But now, I see why.” A smirk appeared on her face.

“Well, now that your curiosity is settled, can I get back to James now?” Lily quickly touched her lips to James’s before James could refuse.

“Lily!” cried Petunia, scandalized.

“What?” Lily snapped back, whipping around to face her sister.

“Vernon will be here soon, and I will not have you and that freak snogging right in front of him!”

“STOP INSULTING JAMES!” snarled Lily, reaching for her wand and pointing it at her sister for the second time that day.

“She’s not worth it, Lily flower,” James murmured softly, coaxing Lily to lower her wand. “I’ve been called a lot worse. That isn’t even an insult compared to the words Snivellus uses.”

“Still, Petunia needs to get over her nasty habit of talking about people,” Lily said, trying to aim her wand.

“Lily, it’s fine,” reassured James.

Lily lowered her wand, though she threw her sister a dirty look.

“Petunia, is it? You’re Lily’s sister?” asked James, changing the subject.

“Yes,” Petunia answered stiffly, “And you must be James.”

“That’s me,” James smiled proudly. “Glad to meet you, Petunia.” He held out his hand.

“Well, it’s so nice to meet you, too,” said Petunia, sarcasm dripping off every word. She ignored the hand in front of her until James lowered it. Lily looked murderous.

James frowned for a moment before saying, “Well, like I said, I’m glad to meet my Lily flower’s sister.”

Petunia nodded briefly. There was an awkward silence until James suddenly spoke again.

“Lily, before I forget I have to-uh- tell you something.” James shifted uneasily from side to side, thinking, Lily’s gonna kill me.

“AHA! I told you,” sneered Petunia. “I told you he’d toss you away like a piece of meat. He’s going to break up with you, Lily. He’s”” Petunia stopped speaking at the terrible look on James face. His face had changed to utmost anger; he looked absolutely livid. Petunia trembled a bit.

“I would never do that to Lily,” he hissed, his face now just inches from Petunia’s cowering figure. “I would rather be thrown into the wizarding prison Azkaban and be guarded by dementors than betray Lily. Understand?”

Petunia gave a swift nod, terrified by the figure in front of her. He seemed to be giving off power. It was as if this force was full of lightening shooting throughout the room. It grew stronger whenever he said Lily’s name. Petunia just continued to nod, petrified, before watching James quickly turn back to Lily and kiss her fiercely as if to prove his point.

“Now what did you want to tell me?” murmured Lily, a bit dazed from the words and the kiss she had just received.

“Well,” James began, ruffling his hair, an action Lily quickly noticed.

“What did you do?” she asked sternly, crossing her arms. It was as if James’s outburst had never occurred.

“Nothing”honestly! It’s just I-uh- kind of invited someone over here, and I””

James never got to finish as a CRACK resounded through the room, causing Petunia to scream.

“Hey Evans, did you miss me?”

Lily groaned, muttering to herself, “Black? Black? Please let it be anyone but Black!” She slowly swiveled around to be looking into the gray eyes of Sirius Black while James yelled, “Padfoot! I told you to wait for me to come and get you!”

“Well, Prongs, you were taking an awfully long time, and I thought I should intervene before you and Lily got too cozy.” Sirius argued back, a sly smile on his face.

Petunia stood there, aghast, before saying to herself, “Not another one. Oh god, no. Not another freak!”

“Why did you have to come?” asked Lily in a hopeless voice.

“Glad to see you, too,” muttered Sirius.

Lily just glared at him while James rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Evans! It wasn’t my fault! James wouldn’t let me stay in the mansion by myself!” tried Sirius.

“You caught it on fire last time!”

“You did what?” screeched Lily, her eyes widening and her hands on her hips.

“How was I to know that muggle matches made fire?” defended Sirius. “Besides it was no big deal.”

“Yeah, we only had to repair half of the third floor,” remarked James sarcastically.

Lily threw her hands in the air. Some things would never change.

Sirius suddenly turned at the sound of a snicker behind him.

“And who are you, my fine maiden?” he asked in a suave voice.

“Lily’s sister, Petunia,” she snapped, all amusement gone. Her glower suddenly intensified at the tone of Sirius’s voice.

Sirius yelped, “Does everyone in your family glare like that, Lily?”

“Only at you,” she answered, smiling sweetly.

Sirius huffed, muttering to himself, “Well, aren’t we biased…”

“Black, you can go into the family room,” interrupted Lily, pointing to a room down the hallway.

“Whatever you say, Ma’am!” saluted Sirius. He started down the hall before adding slyly, “I realize that I am not wanted when you snog the life out of Prongs here.”

“Black, GO!” yelled Lily furiously.

“Still being treated like a dog. Some things never change…” Sirius shook his head good naturally before exiting the hallway.

The three watched his retreating form turn around the corner and disappear.

“Now where were we?” Lily asked James, forgetting about her sister for the time being.

Then the phone rang. Lily groaned. You just couldn’t kiss your boyfriend without any distractions anymore.

“Petunia, go answer it.”

“You answer it!” said Petunia stubbornly.

“Answer it or I’ll curse Vernon when he comes!” threatened Lily.

Both sisters glared at each other before Petunia turned on her heel and stomped towards the phone. It rang once more before Petunia answered it.

“Hello?”

“Petunia darling, is that you?” came the voice of their mother, Rosemary Evans.

“Yes, mum,” Petunia answered dully. “How was your trip?”

“Oh! It was so romantic; I had the best time!” gushed Mrs. Evans. “Your father””

“No details, please,” interrupted Petunia.

Her mother’s laughter rang out.

“Are you going to be home soon?” Petunia asked impatiently. She didn’t want to be alone with those freaks any longer than she had to.

“That’s actually why I’m calling, dear. You see, our flight got delayed, and we won’t be home until tomorrow afternoon. So, you just tell Vernon and James to stay the night.”

Petunia almost dropped the phone. She would have to stay an entire night with them? With those weirdoes? Wait”did her mother say James? She knew?

“Petunia, are you there?” came her mother’s voice worriedly.

“You knew?” Petunia almost shouted.

“Knew what?”

“You knew that Lily was bringing her boyfriend over here?”

“Yes, did you not?” her mother’s voice sounded confused.

“Lily told me today!”

“Well, she must have had her reasons…” Mrs. Evans’s voice trailed off.

Of course, Lily must have had her reasons. Petunia mocked in her head.

“Is James over there now?”

“Unfortunately,” Petunia muttered quietly.

“Sorry dear, I didn’t catch that last bit. What did you say?” questioned her mother.

“Yes, he is, Mother.”

“Do you like him? Tell me what you think,” urged Mrs. Evans eagerly.

“He’s”” Petunia stopped herself, smiling wickedly; she knew how to get Lily back. “He’s absolutely horrible, Mum. To be honest, this boy scares me. I mean, he was all over Lily when I walked in on the two of them, and he smells like he had been drinking seven days a week!”

“WHAT?”

“Oh yes, Mum. I think he needs to leave,” Petunia smiled nastily.

“Get Lily on the phone,” her mother said quietly.

“My pleasure,” announced Petunia. “LILY! MUM ON THE PHONE!”

Lily came running into view, but stopped dead at the look on Petunia’s face. Lily knew that look well; it was look they both wore when they knew the other was in trouble.

“What did you say to Mum?” Lily growled dangerously.

“Nothing at all,” Petunia smiled sweetly, “But you better talk to her soon or she’ll have a heart attack.”

Lily snatched the phone out of Petunia’s grasp, glaring at her sister’s retreating form. If Petunia had done anything then she was going to curse her.

“Mum?” Lily asked hesitantly

“LILY MARIE EVANS YOU TELL THAT BOY TO GO HOME THIS INSTANT!” yelled her mother.

“What?”

“Petunia told me all about him. I will not have a boy who is an alcoholic and never””

“SHE TOLD YOU WHAT?” screamed Lily.

Mrs. Evans quickly repeated herself.

“Mum, calm down. Petunia lied! The b””

“Stop right there young lady! I’m warning you. Get that boy out of here!” scolded her mother.

“MUM! Do you actually believe that I would date an alcoholic?”

“We all have a lack of judgment sometimes”” reasoned her mother.

“I WOULD NOT! PETUNIA IS LYING TO YOU MUM! SHE JUST DOESN’T WANT ME TO MESS UP HER PERFECT LIFE! I HATE HER!” Lily was near tears.

“Now, Lily””

“No! I’ll even prove it to you!” Lily cried. “James, come here!”

James appeared, concern written on his face when he saw Lily.

“Lils, what’s wrong”” he started.

“Just talk to my mum into this,” she held the phone to him.

James took it hesitantly. “Hello, Mrs. Evans. What””

Lily snatched it back, nearing screaming into it. “DOES THAT SOUND LIKE A DRUNKARD TO YOU?”

James’s eyes widened.

“It does to me,” Sirius said, poking his head into the hall.

Lily seized her wand from her back pocket and flicked it towards the Marauder. Sirius barely had time to duck.

“Mum, answer me!”

“No, it doesn’t Lily, but””

“You’ll see tonight how wonderful James is. You’ll see!”

“Honey, we won’t be home until tomorrow,” said her mother gently.

“Fine! Then I’ll prove it to you tomorrow! Good-bye mum!” Lily slammed the phone down onto the receiver.

James looked at her quizzically. “What was that about?”

Lily ignored him, shouting, “PETUNIA! I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!”

Lily sprinted towards her sister, ready to murder her.

Sirius and James watched the sisters raced around the house, both screaming.

Sirius chuckled as Petunia ducked, yelling at her sister to stop trying to curse her.

“Do you think we should stop them?” asked James.

“And ruin the entertainment?” said Sirius incredulously. “I think not! Besides, I’ve been hit with enough of Lily’s curses to know when to step in or not.”

James nodded his head, thinking that it was going to be a long two days.
Threatening the Whale by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
This all belongs to J.K. Rowling!
Petunia and Lily were glaring daggers at each other, both too furious to speak. Petunia, having sunk so low as to make up lies about James, had the hell cursed out of her by Lily until Sirius and James finally came to her rescue. Petunia had been hung upside down, unable to talk or scream due to fast swelling lips. Her blonde hair had been changed to a hideous shade of purple and then chopped off. Then, she was spun around and would have been thrown out of the window if Sirius hadn’t saved her and James hadn’t restrained a livid Lily from hexing both Sirius and Petunia.

Lily had eventually calmed down enough to just clench her wand tightly, (James hadn’t dared take it from her) but she wasn’t about to forgive her older sister. Petunia had been restored to her original state. She was more than a little shaken, but she wouldn’t let Lily have the satisfaction of knowing that. Petunia also decided right then and there that she not only hated magic, she despised it. She wanted nothing to do with it.

Now, both sisters were sitting stiffly on the couch. Lily kept fingering her wand but would stop at the warning look in James’s eyes. Petunia, meanwhile, was keeping her arms tightly to her sides because she felt that she would strangle Lily”wand or not”if her arms were lifted. The thought had actually gone through her mind many times in the past couple of minutes, but it was erased as soon as she saw the wand in Lily’s boyfriend’s pocket. She didn’t want to be cursed again. So, instead Lily and Petunia were content”for now”to just glower at the other.

“Having a staring contest, are we?” asked Sirius with an amused smile, while he watched the two Evans sisters glare unblinkingly at each other.

“Lily might actually get beat, Padfoot!” exclaimed James excitedly. He turned to Petunia to explain. “No one has been able to win a staring contest against her. Trust me; all of the Marauders have tried.”

“The what have tried?” Petunia asked, turning her head to speak to James.

“Lily still wins,” sighed Sirius dejectedly.

What tried to win against Lily?” Petunia repeated.

“Weren’t you listening?” snapped Lily, crossing her arms and finally putting her wand in her pocket.

“Sorry, I don’t speak freak.”

Lily quickly stood up, her hands in fists. Petunia copied the motion, though she was smirking. Lily really needs to tame that temper of hers. Sensing obvious danger, James put his hands around Lily’s waist, quickly pulling her onto his lap. Petunia narrowed her eyes as Lily, seeing her sister’s disgusted look, turned her head to kiss James lightly.

“I love you,” she whispered quietly, though loud enough for Petunia to hear.

“I love you more than there are stars in the sky,” James returned, kissing her once more.

“Would you guys stop acting like a married couple?” Sirius whined. He had experienced this sappy nonsense for far too long.

“Mrs. Potter and I can do whatever we wish,” stated James matter-of-factly.

Lily smiled shyly, a slight blush creeping along her neck. Mrs. Potter”that sounds nice, so right. She couldn’t help but think.

Petunia, however, went rigid. What did Lily’s boyfriend just say? They weren’t”he didn’t mean”Lily and James weren’t really married , were they?

“Hey, you two aren’t hitched yet, so stop acting like it!” Sirius’s voice interrupted Petunia’s thoughts.

Petunia felt relief seep through her. Her baby sister couldn’t get married before her! That would be an outrage, especially now that Vernon and she had big news… Petunia continued to be absorbed in her own thoughts while the two boys argued good-naturally.

“Oh, I said the Marauders, Petunia,” said James, turning away from Sirius and jerking Petunia out of her thoughts.

“What?” asked Petunia, confused. What was he babbling about now?

“The Marauders tried to beat Lily in staring contests,” said James, patiently.

“Who are the Marauders?” She scorned, now understanding what James was talking about. Lily made another move to get up, but James held her tightly.

Stupid Quidditch made him too bloody strong for his own good. Lily grumbled to herself while James continued to explain.

“You see, the Marauders are made up of me and my friends Sirius,” James pointed at him, “Remus, and Peter. We make up the infamous, legendary, charming””

“Most girl-chased,” added Sirius with a grin.

“”mischief making, pranking, most worshiped””

Lily snorted at the last adjective.

“Hard core note takers,” input Sirius

Lily burst out laughing at Sirius’s comment.

“…of girls,” continued Sirius

“”group of friends ever known to walk the planet.”

Petunia stared blankly.

“It’s what James and his friends call themselves.” Lily said, rolling her eyes at her sister’s stupidity.

“Oh. Well, how cute,” Petunia remarked sarcastically.

“Yes, James is cute,” Lily stated smugly. Petunia just rolled her eyes. Lily thinks she is so funny. A dog has more wit than she does.

There was an awkward silence until Sirius cleared his throat.

“Lily, I think you and Petunia need to settle your differences,” Sirius said abrubtly, pulling a clipboard out of thin air.

Lily and Petunia started at him in disbelief while James roared with laughter. He remembered a time when Sirius had decided to be a psychologist after Remus said he needed to see one.

-FLASHBACK-

It was fourth year. Sirius was formulating his newest prank and was explaining it to his fellow Marauders.

“Now we’ll need the House Elves’ help, but I think we can manage that””

“Padfoot, we probably shouldn’t get the house elves in trouble again,” said Remus, looking at Sirius sternly

“Never mind that, what are we going to do?” James said excitedly.

“But what if they stop giving us food?” asked Peter in a scared voice.

“They like us too much to stop giving out food. Now back to the prank,” Sirius said promptly.

“Who are we pranking this time?” asked Remus tiredly.

“Please tell me it’s on that Diggory guy because I think he was trying to flirt with my Lily!” said James angrily.

“James, how many times do I have to tell you?” Remus explained in an exasperated voice. “Lily is not yours. She doesn’t belong to you.”

“Yet. She isn’t mine yet. But no one can resist the Potter charm,” bragged James.

“Can we get back to the prank?” Sirius huffed grumpily.

The other Marauders nodded.

“Ok,” Sirius continued, “We are going to prank the Slytherins””

“Yes!” Peter and James yelled, giving each other a high-five.

“What’s the prank?” Remus asked, now interested.

“We are going to steal all of their pillows!” finished Sirius enthusiastically.

The other three Marauders just stared at him.

“That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life, Padfoot,” Remus said, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Did that last bludger hit you that hard?” Peter asked Sirius.

“Padfoot, what day are you thinking?” James asked, already thinking of the details of the prank.

“Why their pillows? That’s stupid!” Remus said, raising his eyebrows.

“Can you sleep without a pillow? I think not!” Sirius replied. “They’ll look like the walking dead the next morning!”

“You need to see a psychologist, Padfoot. A really really good psychologist,” Remus said seriously.

“What’s a pysco-whatever?” Sirius said, confused.

“I’ll show you,” Moony transformed his backpack into a clipboard and grabbed a quill.

“In the Muggle world, they ask questions to see if a person is sane or not. For example: How does this make you feel or what can you do about that?” Sirius nodded, a grin appearing on his face. Remus continued, “Then you write it on a clipboard, and check to see how sane a person is or help them with their emotions.”

“I want to try!” Sirius exclaimed eagerly.

He snatched the clipboard out of Remus’s hand before bolting out of the room.

“We better follow him,” Remus sighed.

The remaining Marauders hurried after Sirius. They caught him talking to a girl with curly black hair.

“I want to ask you something.” Sirius said, looking straight into her eyes.

“Yes?” she said flirtatiously, batting her eyelashes.

“How do you feel about pillows?”

“Pillows?” she asked in disbelief.

“Yes…Can you sleep without them?” James sniggered in the background.

The girl looked at him mouth opened slightly.

“Looks like a fish when asked questions,” Sirius muttered, writing his observation on the clipboard.

“I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A FISH!” she exclaimed angrily.

“Does not like fish,” Sirius wrote down.

“I thought you were going to ask me out!” She stomped her foot.

“Assumes things and acts like a troll squishing a bug,” Sirius continued, his notes getting longer.

“I DON’T KNOW WHY ANYONE WOULD GO OUT WITH AN UGLY PRAT LIKE YOU!”

“Is obviously blind…”

The girl screamed in frustration before stomping off to the girl dormitories.

Sirius turned towards his friends. “That was fun! I think we should open a business!”

Remus just shook his head, though he was smiling while James and Peter laughed.

-FLASHBACK ENDS-

“Sirius, we are not going back to your psychologist ways!” Lily said, finally remembering Sirius’s business.

“Is touchy on topics of her real feelings…” Sirius started to write.

“BLACK!” yelled Lily.

“Padfoot, she’s giving you the look…I’d stop while you’re in one piece,” James warned.

Sirius glanced up to see the murderous look on Lily’s face before agreeing. “Good idea, Prongs.”

He vanished the clipboard before continuing to talk.

“So, how about a game of”” He was cut off as the door bell rang.

“That would be for me!” Petunia said hastily, scurrying off to the door.

Lily groaned, muttering, “Why does he have to come?”

“What the matter, Love?” asked James, concerned. “No clipboard, Sirius!” He added to Sirius as the clipboard appeared in Sirius’s hands again.

“It’s Petunia’s boyfriend at the door,” Lily answered as if this was reason enough.

“And…?…” James motioned for her to continue while glaring at Sirius who was hastily taking notes.

“Well, he’s the biggest, most vile creature ever to walk the planet!” Lily cried.

“Lily, you must be confused. That would be Snivellus,” said Sirius, forgetting the clipboard and lounging on the now vacant couch.

“No, he’s worse.”

James and Sirius gasped, both clutching their hearts as if nothing could be more shocking.

“No one can beat Snivellus’s evil manner!” declared James.

“Or his unhygienic ways!” added Sirius

“Or his creepy creepiness!” continued James.

“Or his slimy, greasy, never washed, unshowered, soap resistant hair!” Sirius said in one breath.

“Well, you haven’t met Vernon obviously.”

“But, but”well, Snivellus still wins for the greasiest git title, right?” asked Sirius, his eyes almost pleading with Lily for it to be true.

“Yes, I suppose he does. Vernon does obviously shower, unlike Severus, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t the most wretched whale ever.”

“A whale did you say?” asked Sirius, a wicked grin spreading across his face.

“Does Vernon like whales?” James pressed, catching onto Sirius’s train of thought.

“Well, he is one, so I guess he does. Why do you want to know?” asked Lily suspiciously.

“No reason at all! We were just curious,” said Sirius though he kept catching James’s eye.

“Yep. We were just wondering.” James smiled innocently.

“I don’t even want to know what you two are up to,” Lily muttered.

“LILY COME SAY HELLO TO VERNON!” Petunia’s voice yelled.

“Can’t even walk into the next room, he’s so lazy,” Lily grumbled.

“LILY!”

“COMING!” Lily yelled. “Come on you two; let’s go meet the King of Blubber.” She turned out of the room.

“We’ll be right there Lils. Sirius and I just have to talk about something first,” James called.

“Yes,” Sirius snickered, “Then we’ll go meet the whale.”

**

Petunia was standing in the hall, taking Vernon’s coat from him.

“Was the drive alright?” she asked.

“Yes, it was fine, even more so since I knew I would be meeting you.”

Petunia blushed. Vernon wasn’t usually the most romantic of guys, but she loved when he was.

“LILY!” Petunia called again. Where was she? Lily should be here to greet Vernon. The nerve of her!

“COMING!” yelled Lily’s voice irritably.

“Sorry, she hasn’t had good manners since she started going to that school of hers,” Petunia apologized.

“Well, anyone like her probably doesn’t,” remarked Vernon.

He had been told about Lily’s abnormality last year, and he loathed the weirdness about her. It wasn’t normal, and he hated that. That was one reason why he and Petunia got along so well. Vernon looked down the hall to see his girlfriend’s sister. What a freak.

“Hello, Vernon,” Lily said dully before turning around as if to go back into the room she had just occupied.

“Lily…” Petunia warned, standing besides Vernon.

The red-headed girl turned back to face them.

“Hello, Lily,” Vernon replied curtly. “What have you been up to?”

“Oh the usual, turning people into toads, catching things on fire. You know, nothing out of the ordinary.” Lily shrugged.

Vernon narrowed his eyes.

“So, how’s your life?” Lily continued. “If it’s anything like mine then you must be heavily brewing the potions at this time of year. Or you could be flying on a broom with a black cat on the back of it. My personal favorite is the wart growing season.”

“Weirdo!” Vernon spat just as two boys entered the room.

“Whale!” Lily said back just as nastily.

“What did you just say to her?” James’s voice echoed angrily. His eyes were narrowed at Vernon in dislike. No one could talk to Lily like that when he was around.

“Who the hell are you?” Vernon bellowed back as he caught sight of the messy haired man.

“Vernon this is”” Petunia began nervously.

“Vernon, meet my boyfriend,” interrupted Lily, “James.”

“Boyfriend?” sputtered Vernon.

“Yes, and I’m very protective of Lily, understand?” James said threateningly, walking closer to the oversized man.

“You don’t scare me,” Vernon hissed, his face growing steadily redder.

“Oh you really shouldn’t be scared of me; you should be scared of Sirius over there.” James nodded his head toward his best mate.

“And who are you?” Vernon asked rudely to Sirius who just smiled.

“I’m a fisherman”I mean a friend of Lily and James’s,” Sirius said with a grin.

“Yeah, Sirius is planning to be a murderer when he grows up,” explained James.

Sirius cracked his knuckles threateningly. Vernon lost a little color but stood his ground, while Lily snickered behind James and Petunia went pale.

“And I’d gladly help him if it means getting rid of someone who threatens my Lily Flower. Got it?” James continued.

“What could you possibly do against a man like me?” Vernon mocked

“See this?” James took his wand out with a twirl. “It can kill a man with one wave or send him into a world of torture with a simple jab. It can do whatever I want it to do.”

Vernon stared at the wand while Petunia whimpered.

“Well, now that that’s done. Let me introduce myself properly. I’m James Potter.” James held out his hand after pocketing his wand and smiled broadly.

Vernon stared at the hand.

“You shake it, and say what your name is.” Sirius said with a snigger.

“Vernon Dursley,” the obese man said gruffly before shaking James’s hand. Both seemed to try to break the other’s hand before Sirius stuck out his own hand.

“Sirius Black,” he greeted cheerfully.

Vernon gripped Sirius’s hand just as tightly after releasing James’s.

“Nice hard grip,” Sirius said approvingly. “Have you been practicing?”

Vernon scowled before letting go of Sirius’s hand. Both hands were bright red.

“Why don’t we go into the family room?” Petunia said shakily.

Lily nodded before taking James’s hand and leading him to the room.

“After you my fine young pig”I mean person,” Sirius said with another wicked grin. Vernon stormed past him angrily.

“This is going to be two fun days,” Sirius said to himself before following the others into the family room.


A/N: This chapter is a bit pointless in my opinion; it’s more of a transition chapter. It’s the next chapter I think that Sirius and James really start to have some fun!
Vernon’s Long Lost Cousin by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: It's J.K.'s not mine
“549 bottles of butterbeer on the wall! 549 bottles of butterbeer. Take one down; pass it around…549 bottles of butterbeer on the wall!” Sirius was singing happily, oblivious to the growing irritation of a rather oversized man. “548 bottles of butterbeer on the wall! 548 bottles of butterbeer””

“Would you shut the bloody hell up already!” yelled Vernon, glaring daggers at Sirius. “I can’t take it anymore!”

Sirius stopped mid-verse at the sound of Vernon’s annoyed voice. “What’s the matter, Blubber? Don’t you like my song?”

Lily and James snickered at Sirius’s new nickname for Vernon while Petunia pursed her lips angrily. Vernon’s face, however, turned a shade that would put a plum to shame.

Sirius scrutinized the man’s angry features with interest before he continued, “You know Blubber, purple really isn’t your color. It just doesn’t match your eyes.” Vernon’s eyes bulged while Petunia gave a sound of outrage. James, however, had fallen off the couch laughing. After a few minutes, James settled down, and Sirius grinned at Vernon innocently.

“Vernon,” James asked suddenly, all seriousness now on his face, “Is your favorite color purple?”

Vernon’s mouth hung open while Sirius and Lily both burst into peals of laughter.

James nodded. “I thought so.” He turned towards Petunia. “Petunia, I’d advise you to find someone a little more”umm”masculine .”

Vernon jumped off of his chair, advancing on James, and looking as if he was capable of murder. James just shook his head as if in sorrow.

“I’m sorry, Vernon, I just don’t feel that way about you.”

Vernon looked at him in horror while Lily laughed uncontrollably, and Petunia shouted in anger.

“TELL YOUR BOYFRIEND TO SHUT UP!” Petunia screeched at Lily who just laughed harder.

“1,000 bottles of butterbeer on the wall”” Everyone suddenly went eerily quiet and looked at Sirius.

“What?” he asked innocently before explaining, “You see, I had to start all over again since Blubber Boy interrupted me. Plus, I’ve decided that I want to become a singing sensation, not a murderer, so I’ve got to practice.” Sirius then went right along singing while Vernon stomped from the room, Petunia running after him.

**

It had taken many minutes and much coaxing from Petunia for Vernon to finally return to the family room. Sirius was still singing; he only had five bottles left now, but Lily and James were talking quietly on the couch, laughing occasionally. They were used to Sirius’s random, irritating moments and had learned to handle them quite well for the most part.

Vernon shot Sirius a nasty look before settling on a chair; Petunia sat down on the arm of it. Lily glanced at the couple before turning back to James.

“One bottle of butterbeer on the wall! One bottle of butterbeer. Take one down; pass it around…No more bottles of butterbeer on the wall!” Sirius finished happily. “See, that wasn’t so bad, was it, Blubber?”

Vernon shot him another dirty look before Petunia enraptured him in a conversation. Sirius looked around the room, watching as everyone ignored him. The minutes ticked by.

“Ahem,” the now bored eighteen year-old coughed quietly.

No one made the slightest incantation that they were going to acknowledge him.

“Ahem!” Sirius repeated, trying to gain attention. Once again, he received no response.

“AHEM! AHEM! AHEM!”

“WHAT DO YOU WANT, BLACK?” Lily yelled, turning from her boyfriend to glare at the attention-seeking prat.

“I’m bored,” Sirius replied simply, though he looked at James pointedly. “I think it’s time to play a game.”

James looked at him perplexingly.

“Something that would really weigh in everyone’s mind for the rest of the night,” Sirius continued, raising his eyebrows as if in significance.

“Spit it out, Black! What do you want to play that will satisfy your pea-size attention span?” Lily snapped, tossing her hair behind her shoulder irritability.

“Oh!” Realization suddenly appeared on the messy-haired man’s face. “You want to play a big enough game for everyone!” James said excitedly.

Sirius nodded, smiling coyly. James smirked at his best mate who gave a slight nod. James mirrored the action before turning towards Vernon. Lily watched the silent exchange and gave a quiet groan. They were up to a prank, and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

“Vernon, do you want to participate in our game?” James asked innocently.

“Only real men do it though, Jamsie-poo. Do you think Blubber’s up to it?” Sirius asked James, contemplating James’s question.

“Of course I’m in!” bellowed Vernon, earning a quick smirk from both men. “What are we playing?”

Sirius and James gave each another quick grin before explaining.

“We’re going to arm wrestle.”

**

A coffee table had been placed in the middle of the room. The three men stood around it, rolling up their sleeves.

Petunia and Lily had taken to sitting on the couch, though both were muttering darkly under their breath.

“Of all the stupid things to do…”

“Just trying to prove which of the three is the most macho…”

“Men”you just can’t live with them,” both Petunia and Lily finished together. They gave each other a small smile before turning grumpily to watch the first contestants.

“Ok, so Vernon and you, James, will be first,” Sirius said. “Both of you know how to play obviously; first hand to touch the table loses.” Vernon and James nodded, glaring at each other. But, James’s eyes were sparkling with amusement, something Lily was quick to notice.

“You know the stakes, Vernon. If you beat every contestant then James and I have to wear these…” Sirius pulled out two old dresses of Petunia’s, complete with lace.

“YOU WILL NOT BE WEARING MY DRESSES!” screeched Petunia indignantly. “PICK SOMETHING OF LILY’S!”

“My stuff wasn’t geeky enough for them, Petunia,” Lily said, putting her feet up on the couch and lounging back contently. “Besides, it’s not like Vernon could actually win””

“Vernon will win, so””

“Ladies, please settle down and let me continue!” Sirius glared at them briefly before continuing. “Anyway, if you don’t beat every contestant, Blubber, then James and I win, and you have to wear this”” Sirius pulled out what looked like a bunny costume. “”and we get to take a picture of you in it!” Sirius smiled happily.

“Does everyone agree with the stakes? Now remember, in order to win, you have to beat the contestants I have already said the first time.” James and Vernon nodded again.

“Ok, you guys ready?” Vernon and James glared at each other, clasping the other’s hand. “On your mark, get set, GO!” Sirius yelled.

Both men struggled to push the other’s arm to the table. Lily huffed in annoyance while Petunia glared at the contestants. Out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw Sirius give the slightest of nods. Suddenly, Vernon was winning, pushing James’s hand closer to the table. With a thump, James’s calloused hand hit the wooden surface.

“HA!” said Vernon triumphantly. “I WIN!”

“Man, you were strong…I guess I’ll have to practice more,” said James regretfully though laughter clung to his voice. Lily narrowed her eyes at her boyfriend’s tone.

“MY TURN!” yelled Sirius excitedly, plopping down and grasping Vernon’s hand.

“GO!” James shouted.

Sirius and Vernon immediately started to struggle for the win. Once again, a nod appeared, this time from James, and Vernon won once more. Lily’s eyes were mere slits.

“I WIN AGAIN!” Vernon yelled with a smirk. Petunia was cheering from the background, resisting the childish urge to stick her tongue out at her sister.

“You did Vernon, but I have some real competition for you now,” Sirius suddenly smiled mischievously.

“What?” Vernon asked in a confused voice.

With a twirl of his wand, James transfigured the chair that Vernon had previously occupied. It grew ten times as big, though the room expanded as it did. Petunia shrieked as Lily shouted in rage. With another jab of his wand, James had a fully live, breathing whale”blubber and all”sitting in the family room. Vernon looked at it in horror.

“GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE!” Petunia screamed, cowering on the couch.

“JAMES POTTER, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING WITH THAT THING? IF YOU DON’T TRANSFIGURE THAT WHALE BACK INTO A CHAIR IN THE NEXT THREE SECONDS THEN YOU WILL WISH YOU HAD NEVER BEEN BORN!” Lily shouted with her face red with anger.

“James can’t do that, Evans,” Sirius said with a wide smile.

“Why not?” Lily hissed at Sirius, causing a quick look of fear to come across his face.

Petunia was still screaming while Vernon gaped at the whale, aghast.

“Only Vernon can get rid of it, Lily-flower,” James explained, his own mischievous smile plastered onto his face.

“And…why…is…that…?” Lily said through clenched teeth, her wand now in a death grip.

James’s smile quickly disappeared when Lily’s wand emitted red sparks.

“You see”he uh”” James stumbled over his words, trying to explain.

“He has to win an arm wrestling match against it for it to disappear,” Sirius cut in, his confidence returning.

“WHAT?” Vernon, Lily, and Petunia shouted. Lily closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath.

“Lily! Do something! You’re a w-witch, fix this!” cried Petunia desperately.

“I can’t”these two bozos are the top of the year at Transfiguration. If they say it won’t go away until Vernon wins, it won’t. Your boyfriend is just going to have to win.” She shot a death glare at her boyfriend and his mate.

“It’s a whale!” Petunia shouted, “It can’t arm wrestle!”

“Actually it can; James made sure to include a human arm instead of a fin,” input Sirius.

Everyone turned to look at the whale which was unusually quiet. Sure enough, an arm”though as thick and muscular as its regular fin”was protruding from the whale’s body.

“I AM NOT ARM WRESTLING A WHALE!” Vernon bellowed, though his widened eyes never left the huge mammal.

“Why not? You’d be right at home”” began James before Petunia gave him such a glower that if looks could indeed kill, there would be nothing left of James.

“You fix this now, Lily,” Petunia said in a low, menacing voice.

“I can’t; tell your boyfriend to get a move on,” Lily shot back.

“GET THAT WHALE OUT OF HERE!”

“Petunia, get this through that thick lump you call a head! I-can’t-do-anything.”

Sirius was sniggering in the background, leaning on the whale. James looked at him, and Sirius winked. James shot him his own grin and glanced at Vernon’s astonished face. It would seem he still couldn’t grasp the idea that a whale was in a house.

Petunia looked livid, her breath coming out in angry huffs.

“Are we ready then?” James asked excitedly.

“What?” Vernon turned to look at the other occupants in the house. “You really expect me to arm wrestle that thing?” he asked almost weakly.

“Yep,” chorused James and Sirius proudly.

“No! I’M NOT ARM WRESTLING SOMETHING AS BARBARIC AS THAT!” Vernon screamed, the vein in his neck pulsing dangerously.

“Well, we already arm-wrestled our own whale”coughyoucough” so it’s only fair,” reasoned James.

“Petunia?” Vernon asked desperately.

“Just get this over with,” she replied in an angry voice.

Vernon gawked at her while the whale automatically squirmed its way to the table, its arm resting on it.

Lily looked at it in shock.

“How is it doing that?” she hissed at James.

“Sorry Lils, I can’t reveal Marauder secrets,” he replied with a furtive smile.

“You do know that you are so dead when we get back to your place, right?” she said with an overly sweet smile.

“Yep,” James answered with a wry grin.

“Good,” She leaned closer to James to whisper in his ear, “But I can’t help but to see”I mean it’s so obvious, but, can you see the family resemblance between Vernon and that whale? I mean it’s so apparent to me, but what do you think?”

James choked back a laugh, his eyes dancing with mirth.

“Yes, Lily flower, I can definitely see it. Maybe it’s his long lost cousin!” Lily bit her lip to stop from chuckling.

“Are you ready, Vernon?” Sirius asked, laughter spiraling through his eyes.

“No!”

“Fine…then you can explain to Mr. Evans why there is a whale in his house,” James said, shrugging.

Vernon glared at him though grudgingly moved closer to the coffee table that was already straining against the whale’s weight. Hesitantly, he kneeled opposite of the whale and placed his elbow on the table.

Sirius and James suppressed laughter at the sight of Vernon’s horrified face as he grasped the arm protruding from the whale.

“Ready,” Sirius said, shaking with more laughter, “Set, go!”

Immediately, Vernon and the whale tried to touch the other’s hand to the table.

“How is it doing that?” Lily asked again. “It’s a whale…it’s not supposed to be able to do that!”

“Yeah and dragons, much less magic, isn’t supposed to be real either, Evans,” Sirius snorted, his eyes never leaving the arm wrestlers.

Petunia stared at the sight in front of her unbelievingly. Vernon was arm wrestling whale! How could this be happening?

A minute later, Vernon began to tire and before long, his arm hit the table with a thump.

Sirius and James high-fived each other, laughing hysterically. Vernon glowered at the two before backing away from the whale.

Lily smiled at her boyfriend and his mate’s delight over their latest prank.

“We so have to do this to Snivellus, Sirius!” James laughed, wiping tears from his eyes.

“Oh! He won’t know what hit him!” The boys laughed even harder at the image of Snape arm wrestling a whale.

Suddenly, Sirius looked up and grinned. “Here Vernon,” he grabbed the bunny costume from a nearby chair. “Remember to say cheese when you smile for the camera.”

“I don’t have to do that! I beat you two!”

“Not so fast…the deal was if you beat every contestant the first time, then Sirius and I would lose. The whale was a contestant so you lose. Oh, and you have to arm wrestle the whale again and win if you want it out of here,” James said with a wicked grin.

Vernon just stood there, his mouth moving wordlessly.

Lily glanced at her sister to see her gripping the side of the couch in a deathly clutch. It seemed as if she was refraining from killing the two wizards in front of her.

“James,” she walked up to him to whisper in his ear, “As much as I love to see Vernon totally humiliated, I think you’d better get rid of the whale.” She gave him a stern look. “And I know you can transfigure it back, so don’t even start with me. Petunia looks like she’s going to murder you, and remember you’re sleeping over. All it would take is a kitchen knife for Petunia to kill you in your sleep.” James glanced at Lily’s sister to see the murderous glower on her face.

“Ok, Lils,” he agreed but in a resigned voice, “I’ll get rid of it.”

With a single wave, the whale was back to being a perfectly normal sitting chair. Sirius gaped at his best mate.

“PRONGS! Why did””

“But Vernon still has to wear the bunny costume!” James said to Lily, cutting off Sirius.

Sirius threw the costume to Vernon with an angry glare.

“Go get changed, Blubber,” Sirius said, looking at James furiously.

“No, I’m not wearing this stupid costume and you can’t scare me into doing it!” exclaimed Vernon.

Sirius just smirked at him.

Vernon suddenly sneered as Sirius just stood there, “See, I knew you wouldn’t do anything. You’re good-for-nothing, do you know that? I bet your own family can’t even stand the likes of you””

In an instant, Sirius’s wand was at Vernon throat, pressing into it as Petunia shrieked. Sirius growled, “Go get changed, or I swear I will kill you right here and now.”

Vernon slowly backed off, his face pale. Then, trying to regain his dignity, the beefy man stomped from the room with the bunny costume in hand. There was a period of silence until Petunia suddenly stood up, marching over to Sirius.

“If you ever threaten Vernon again, I swear I will kill you whether you have a wand or not,” Her livid voice had a slight tremble, however, giving away the fear she held inside for the man in front of her. But, pushing aside that terror, Petunia slapped the angered man, with a resounding sound, before treading from the room.

Sirius stood there in shock until Lily walked over to him, her eyes narrowed.

“It was a stupid prank, Black! Why are you mad over a stupid prank of all things? So what if James ruined your fun? You have the worst temper I have ever seen”” she started to shout.

“Look who’s talking,” Sirius muttered, rubbing his cheek.

Lily suddenly swung her hand back and slapped Sirius’s other cheek. He yelped in pain.

“What was that for?”

“A, for not keeping your temper in check, and over the stupidest thing too! And B, for smart mouthing me, you prat.” Lily glared at him, her hands on her hips. “Sirius Black one day you’ll actually end up trying to kill someone with that temper of yours!” With that, she marched from the room to calm herself.

Sirius glared at her retreating form before turning to James who had folded his arms across his chest.

“Why does Evans care if that piece of blubber lives or not?” he asked angrily, trying to soothe his aching cheeks.

“She doesn’t, but she cares about you enough to keep you from being arrested.” James paused for a second. “Padfoot, you’re not worked up over Vernon’s refusal to wear that costume, are you? It was his second comment wasn’t it?

“Why would you think that?” Sirius asked crossly, a guarded expression on his face.

“Padfoot, I know you better than that. I’ve been living with you for what eight years now? Now answer me truthfully. Was it Vernon’s second comment that set you off?”

Sirius looked up at James’s concerned face before collapsing on the couch and putting his face in his hands.

“Yes,” he murmured so quietly James almost didn’t catch it.

James walked over and sat next to his best mate, though he kept quiet.

“You know, Prongs,” Sirius laughed bitterly. “I hate my family”hate them with a passion”but sometimes, I mean, I wish,” Sirius took a deep breath, “Sometimes, I wish that I didn’t hate them. Why did they have to be such a bunch of bastards, Prongs? Why couldn’t I have a normal family? I have no one, Prongs, no one.”

James was quiet for a moment as he contemplated Sirius’s words before he replied. “You know Padfoot, you’re wrong.”

Sirius looked up at him in surprise, his eyebrows furrowed.

James continued, “You have a real family. You have me and Remus and Peter. Plus you have my mum and dad who, I’m pretty sure, like you more than me,” The corners of Sirius’s mouth twitched.

“Plus you have Lily, who really does enjoy your presence, Alice, Adrianna, and Frank. Sirius, you have a real family. You are my brother and always will be.”

Sirius was silent as James stopped talking. Each just stayed still for a moment, letting an unspoken promise pass between them.

“Prongs, I finally know why Evans and her sister are related…they both slap as if their hands were made of rocks,” James let out a burst of laughter and Sirius soon joined in.

Unnoticed, Lily was hovering by the doorway of the family room, having heard every word passed between the boys. A silent tear ran down her cheek, but she swiped at it quickly. Lily looked at the laughing friends and vowed a silent oath. Sirius will be part of our family. I swear on my life, I will make sure Sirius is a part of James’s and my family. He will never be alone.

With that, she watched as both boys calmed down enough to stop their laughter. She almost didn’t catch the quiet words that passed from Sirius’s lips. “Thanks, James.” James gave a swift nod before cracking a grin. “Get the camera ready; Vernon should be here soon.”

Lily saw James catch her eye, signaling her to come in. With a deep breath she floated into the room to sit on James’s lap as Sirius jumped up from the couch to locate the camera. James moved his lips to Lily’s ear and, in an undertone, said, “Don’t tell Sirius that you heard him. He doesn’t want people to know. Ok?”

Lily gave a subtle nod before whispering, “I won’t tell him.”

James smiled as Sirius yelled triumphantly, “I FOUND IT!” Lily gave her own grin before speaking softly to James, “I promise.”

**

Three rooms away, Petunia was trying to coax a livid Vernon to come out.

“Come on, honey; just get this over with. I’m as mad as you are right now, but the sooner you come out, the sooner you can change out of that ridiculous attire.”

“Petunia, I am not changing into this!”

“Vernon, you listen to me! That bloke in there is unbalanced! He threatened to kill you for Pete’s sake.”

“I am not wearing this sodding bunny suit!”

“Vernon, you get out here right now, or I will force you into that suit myself!” Petunia threatened, exasperated at the immaturity of the three teenagers in the living room and wanting to end their ridiculing of her boyfriend as quickly as possible.

She heard Vernon mumble darkly before he emerged from the bathroom in a purple bunny costume.

“Happy, now?” he grumbled.

Petunia just looked at him before turning back towards the family room. Vernon hesitated, and then followed her.

After many tears of laughter and a multitude of flashes from the camera, Vernon was able to change back into his normal clothes. Sirius, James, and Lily were still clutching their sides in laughter as Vernon tromped back into the room. Glares were sent from Petunia and Vernon at the chortling teenagers, but they ignored it. Finally, it receded into soft chuckles before stopping all together. Lily grinned once more at Vernon before turning towards Petunia.

“It’s about six o’clock. Why don’t we start dinner?” Petunia gave a brief shake of her head before following Lily into the kitchen, leaving Vernon in the clutches of two maniacal, mischief makers.
What is Love? by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns everything Harry Potter related and Frankie Valli owns the lyrics.
A/N: I’m sorry for 1) the lateness of this chapter! It won’t happen again! 2) the shortness of this chapter and 3) for the cliffie at the end…insert evil laugh here!


Lily was working in silence, grabbing the silverware from the drawer on her left. Five forks. Five knives. She hesitated for a second, her hand hovering over the knives. Could she actually trust Sirius and James with sharp objects? They should be fine. Both used knives all the time at Hogwarts without any problems. Wait…had there ever been a problem? Lily suddenly gasped, skipping over the blades hastily, as she remembered…

-Flashback-

All four Marauders were glancing at each other eagerly; it was April 1st”what they thought of as their own national holiday. With exact opposite expressions, the teachers were looking at each others in uneasy dread. Having spent four April Fool’s Days beforehand with the Marauders, they knew something was up, and it was something big…it always was. With each teacher on edge, the air was alive with excitement; everyone could feel the anticipation building. The students had on a mixture of expressions. Most looked eager, others nervous, and some just downright scared. They knew what day it was, heck who could forget it?

James checked his watch and smiled almost manically. Sirius mirrored his expression and began tapping on the side of his glass with his knife. Every head turned towards the notorious pranksters. Dumbledore stood up, his head inclined towards Sirius politely.

“I believe Mr. Black has something to say,” he said, his blue eyes twinkling.

“Yes, I do,” Sirius began, a wide smile on his face. “I just wanted to remind everyone that today is April 1st. And you know what that means!” He grinned while Remus, Peter, and James sniggered in the background.

“Mr. Black! There is no need for another ridiculous prank!” Professor McGonagall began to scold, standing up quickly and almost losing her hat in the process.

“Actually, Minnie,” James was now talking, his eyes glinting mischievously. “We’ve decided not to do one big, April Fool’s prank this year.”

A snort came from down the Gryffindor table and every head now turned towards the red headed girl.

“The day you stop pranking on April Fool’s is the day I’ll go out with you, Potter. That means never in case that thick thing you call a head didn’t comprehend my use of sarcasm!” Lily Evans said, rolling her eyes at James in annoyance.

“Miss Evans, please refrain from showing your disdain for Mr. Potter in public!” Professor McGonagall reprimanded sharply.

Many students laughed quietly, sniggering things along the lines of “Like that will ever happen!” and “You’ll have to remind her again after she slaps him!”

“Evans, does that mean you’ll go to Hogsmeade with me since we really aren’t doing a prank”” James started excitedly; ignoring McGonagall’s warning and running his hand through his hair.

“NO!” Lily yelled.

“OY! Everyone, I believeI was the one talking until this git next to me interrupted my amazing speech!” Sirius jerked his head at James who was too busy staring at Lily to notice the insult. Sirius glared around at everyone before continuing.

“Now! Where was I? Oh yes, Prongs just told you we weren’t doing a prank this year, well, he is correct.”

Groans of disappointment, shouts of outrage, and cheers followed this statement.

James stood up next to Sirius, his eyes sparkling. “Padfoot here is correct. We aren’t doing one huge prank this year…” he paused dramatically, looking at each of the four House tables.

“WE’RE DOING PRANKS ALL WEEK!” Peter shouted happily, unable to stand the wait.

“PETER!” yelled the other Marauders in unison.

“What did I do?” Peter asked. The Marauders just groaned before Sirius suddenly grabbed his wand, waving it at all four tables.

“Wingardium Leviosa!”

People screamed as the knives soared from where they were resting on the table. With a flick of his wand, the blades were barreling towards the Slytherin table. The green robed students shrieked in horror as they dived from their seats. The knives struck the table with a thud, quivering as they came to a stop. The Slytherins cautiously picked themselves up from their position on the floor. The entire school could read the words formed by the knives.

HA! HA!

There was a bang, followed by more screams as a cloud of thick scarlet smoke flooded the Great Hall. As the smoked cleared, the students could see that the knives were no longer trembling on the table. Instead, each Slytherin had been pinned to the back wall by the knives. Peering closer, the students could just make out the words the students had formed.

LIONS FOREVER!

Even as Professor McGonagall and the other teachers cried out in anger, there was another explosion and soon, all the Slytherins were on the ground, each holding a knife. They glanced at the silverware in surprise as each knife seemed to melt before changing into a bouquet of flowers.

Suddenly every Slytherin was singing as James pretended to conduct them.

“You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.
You'd be like Heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much.”


A swarm of green had surrounded Lily Evans. She stared at them in horror.

“At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.”


“STOP!” Lily screeched, her cheeks becoming redder and redder with each word the Slytherins sang.

“Pardon the way that I stare.
There's nothing else to compare.
The sight of you leaves me weak.
There are no words left to speak,
But if you feel like I feel,
Please let me know that it's real.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.”


Abruptly, the lights went out before a single spotlight came down, resting on Severus Snape. He cleared his voice once before breaking out into a solo; the rest of his House swaying to the rhythm.

“I love you, baby,
And if it's quite alright,
I need you, baby,
To warm a lonely night.
I love you, baby.
Trust in me when I say:
Oh, pretty baby,
Don't bring me down, I pray.
Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay
And let me love you, baby.
Let me love you!”


He dragged out the note until James swiftly finished his role as conductor. The lights flashed back on. Lily continued to gape at Snape in horror until she snapped her head around to see Remus carrying a white card on a gold pillar. A small knife was holding it in place.

“For you, Miss Evans,” he said, projecting his voice throughout the Great Hall. He gave Lily the pillow before murmuring, “Sorry, Lily, but you know how James is.” Then with a bow, he marched back to his seat. Lily wrenched the knife out of the card, aware of the thousands of eyes watching her. Her eyes scanned the little piece of paper before narrowing in utter contempt at the words.

“Though your words always slice me like knives, I can’t take my eyes off of you. Let me love you…later tonight.”

James was grinning cheekily at her, his chest puffed out in pride. Lily took one deep breath as if she was just clearing her head. Then…she exploded.

“YOU ARE THE MOST EGOTISTIC PERSON IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! YOU WANT TO SEE ME REALLY SLICE YOU WITH SOMETHING OTHER THAN WORDS? HOW ABOUT I START WITH THIS KNIFE…MAYBE IT WILL FINALLY DEFLATE YOUR HEAD!” She was screaming uncontrollably. Red splotches had appeared on her cheeks and her eyes were blazing with a wild fire. James’s eyes widened, at first, with shock before a real fear seemed to fill them. The next second found James running as Lily chased after him, until with a simple flick of his wand, Dumbledore had both Lily and James sitting in detention, knifeless…

-Flashback Ends-

“Lily! Earth to Lily…LILY MARIE EVANS!” Petunia yelled, waving her hand back and forth in front of Lily’s face. Lily jerked back from the motion, surprised. She blinked a couple of times to see Petunia’s annoyed expression. How long had she just been zoning out for?

“Well now that little-miss-I’m-lazy-and-don’t-have-to-do-any-work is finally back to normal”” Petunia paused. “Oh wait, I forgot, you will never be back to normal because you’re a freak!”

Lily just ignored her before turning back to grab the napkins. Silence once again came over the two sisters until Lily began to hum, once again unable to take the quiet. Why did everything have to be so hushed around Petunia? The silence was killing her! She hummed louder, trying to bring some noise into the room. She went around the counter to the table, located to the left of the kitchen. It should be big enough for all of them, right? She did a mental count before setting the table. Yes, they would all fit. She placed the napkins down, positioning the forks on top of them. Petunia shot Lily an irritated glance as she checked on the chicken. Lily ignored her, increasing the volume of her humming again before suddenly pausing. Why was it so quiet? The Marauders, especially James and Sirius, were known for their love of noise. So why didn’t she hear anything when James and Sirius were just two rooms over?

“Would you shut up with the humming already? You’re driving me insane!” Petunia snapped, placing her hands on her hips.

“Umm…let me think.” Lily pretended to deliberate for a second. “No.”

“You are the most impossible being I have ever had the misfortune to meet!” Petunia yelled, throwing her hands into the air in exasperation.

Lily bowed, replying cheekily, “Why thank you!”

Petunia gave a sound of frustration before turning back to prepare the food. After a few more minutes, Lily finally stopped her song and instead cocked her head towards the family room. Still, nothing.

“I think I’d better go check on James,” Lily told her sister before turning to leave the room.

“Why? It’s not like he’d ever check up on you.”

Lily whipped back around, taking a deep breath in an attempt to reign in her temper.

“Petunia, think what you may,” Lily took another deep breath, “But James and I love each other.”

Petunia stared at her for a second before erupting into peals of laughter. “L-Love each other? You and J-James?” She cracked up again while Lily stared at her impassively. “You’re too young to know about love!”

“And you do?” Lily shot back angrily.

“I”uh”of course I do,” Petunia answered though a bit of hesitation followed the statement.

“Then tell me, Petunia. Explain to me how you know you’re in love because I know what I feel and it is love!”

“Vernon”I-I”uh”I just know!” Petunia finished defiantly.

“Really? Are you sure? Does your stomach turn flips at the slightest glance at him? Do pleasant shivers run down your spine at his smile? Does it feel like you could never be cold again because this warm feeling overwhelms you? Is that what you feel because that’s exactly what I’m like whenever I’m around James Potter!”

“I”well”yes,” Petunia was stammering.

Lily raged on. “Do you feel yourself smiling at his every movement? Feel like even a day away from him is killing you inside and out?" Lily pressed on, ignoring Petunia’s uncomfortable expression. “When he takes your hand, do you never want to let go? When he hugs you, do you feel perfectly safe, as if just being in his arms will protect you from all danger? Do you float into heaven as he kisses you? Feel like every inch of your skin is on fire with his slightest touch? Does your heart turn somersaults and pump faster when you and he are together? Tell me, Petunia. If that’s not love, then what is? Please, go right on ahead and explain to me what love feels like!” Lily finished, breathing hard as if she had just come back from a long run.

Petunia was silent, just staring at Lily, her mouth trying and failing to form words. Lily just nodded her head sadly, whispering so quietly, Petunia could barely make out the words. “You don’t love Vernon, Tuney…and you know it.” Lily began to turn out of the room, salt and pepper shakers in her hand, before she paused. “And don’t you ever doubt my love for James. Because there’s no way I could ever live without him.” And then she left the room, leaving Petunia alone.

Lily continued down the hall before entering the family room. She froze at the sight that met her eyes. The salt and pepper shakers hit the ground with a thud as Lily’s hands flew to her mouth. What had they done? What had James and Sirius done?

A/N: I know this wasn’t as funny as my other chapter but I’m saving it for the next one…oh will you be in for a surprise!
That Whole Stomping Foot Thing by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: It's all belongs to J.K. Rowling, of course! And the song belongs to Elvis Presley :)
Balloons and Firewhiskey and people, oh my! Why the trite saying popped into Lily’s head at that moment, she had no idea. She had never liked The Wizard of Oz as a little girl, though her family had adored it. Personally, the whole flying monkeys thing had scared her to death. However, her mum was always quoting the line “Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!” For every problem that occurred, Lily would hear her mum change the animals into whatever was causing the problem. So for Lily and her current predicament, it was balloons, Firewhiskey, and people…oh my god.

There was a party in her house…a room filled with what looked to be hundreds of people, and they were partying. This was a major problem.

Lily clutched at her heart, watching as the party blasted inside the once tiny room. Her eyes were bulging at the mere size of the event. She had never been one to break the rules, and this occurrence went against every rule her parents had laid down once she had become a teenager. She could hear her father’s voice echoing in her ears.

“Unless we, your parents, invited them, there will be no boys.” She didn’t even have to look around to know how many times that rule had been broken.

“No loud music.” The music was shaking the walls, it was so obnoxious. How had she not heard it before? There was a loud shout of “Silencio” before rambunctious laughter broke out. Lily hit herself on the forehead. A stupid Silencing Charm would work on any room, she realized.

“No beer.” She could practically taste the Firewhiskey from where she was standing.

“No throwing things.” She heard her father say, just as the antique lamp undeniably went flying across the room followed by hoots and hollers.

“Finally, NO PARTIES!”

Lily groaned to herself, feeling as if she wanted to cry. Why? Oh in Merlin’s name, why had she left James and Sirius by themselves in a room that could easily have a Silencing Charm placed over it? Was she really that much of a bloody idiot? A pig shot across the room followed by a red and blue firecracker and the sound of breaking glass. Yes, that just confirmed it. Lily Marie Evans was officially the stupidest person ever to walk the planet.

Suddenly, she was grabbed by the arms and pulled into the mass huddle in the middle of the room. She screeched in surprise. Sirius was looking at her with a big puppy dog grin spread across his face. A cup was in his hands.

“Evans! What ‘cho you doin’?” he babbled, before suddenly laughing hysterically.

“Sirius!” Lily cried. Just as quickly, she wrinkled her nose at the odor coming from Sirius’s mouth. “You’re drunk!”

“I’m no drunk! ‘Cho drunk. No, you’re a skunk! He He! Evans smells! Evans smells! Evans smells like a skunk!” He said this extremely fast before bursting into giggles. The contents of his drink were sloshing around dangerously. He was swaying back and forth, looking completely and utterly mad.

“Why can nothing go right tonight?” Lily moaned to herself, grabbing her hair and pulling it.

Sirius answered her. “‘Cause ‘cho not right in the head, Skunk. ‘Cho just like a…like a”what are ‘cho like, Skunk? I can’t think of the word!” Sirius scratched his head, thinking.

“Give me that!” Lily reached for his cup irritably. “You’ve had more than enough to drink tonight!”

Sirius pulled back from her, bumping into the people behind him. Firewhiskey bounced over the rim. “Don’t ‘cho you take my cup, Skunk! It won’t make ‘cho smell nice like a flower if that’s why ‘cho you want it. Hee Hee! ‘Cho name is Lily but ‘cho don’t smell like a flower!” Sirius cracked up, tears streaming from his eyes. “‘Cho smell like a skunk!” He was giggling like crazy. His entire face was lit up in entertainment.

“I do not smell! Now, give me your cup, Black!” She swiped at it again.

She jumped back in surprise as Sirius began shouting at the top of his lungs. “THIEF! THIEF! WATCH YOUR CUP! WATCH YOUR WHISKEY! THE SKUNK WANTS TO SMELL PRETTY! SHE’S TRYING TO BE A THIEF! AHHH!” Lily had tackled him. Firewhiskey went everywhere as she pinned Sirius’s hands down to the floor so that they were above his head. She succeeded in wrenched the now empty cup out from his fingers.

“Didn’t know ‘cho wanted to play dirty, Skunk.” Sirius grinned wickedly at her, looking more like his own self.

“UGH!” Lily yelled, disgusted. She hurriedly shrank back from Sirius, but he snatched her wrists, yanking them so that she was lying on top of him again. The other partiers barely spared them a second glance. They swayed to the beat, their cups reeking of alcohol and their eyes slightly dazed.

“BLACK! GET THE HELL OFF OF ME!” Lily shrieked; her face red with both anger and embarrassment.

“I believe ‘cho are the one on me, Skunk.”

“UGH!” Lily screamed again, before jerking her hands out of Sirius’s grasp and punching him on the nose.

“OWWWWW!” Sirius screeched, letting out a stream of curse words. Lily quickly jumped to her feet, smoothing her clothes as if she was dusting herself off.

“You and Potter better go into hiding after tonight, Black, because I am so going to murder you two!” She shot him a dirty look before pushing her way through the crowd, trying to spot James.

She heard shouts of her name and nodded at the familiar faces around her, but her mission was set. She was going to kill James. Abruptly, she was almost thrown to the ground as two of her very best friends leapt on her, screaming.

“We thought we’d never find you!” Adrianna exclaimed, her hair a bright blue today.

“Yeah! We’ve looked everywhere!” Alice added, throwing her arms around the room dramatically.

“This is the best party yet! I was so surprised when the invitation came”” started Adrianna.

“Invitation?” Lily said sharply. “What invitation?”

“This one,” Alice said, confused, and she pulled out the invite.

Lily snatched it from her and began to read.

Think Lily Evans is a stuffy, follow-the-rules-professor-pet? Or are you one of the jealous girls in theJames Potter is Mine Fan Club? Oops, I forgot to add boys in that club too. Or are you one of the ravishing ladies that want, with your very eyes, to see Hogwarts’ Number One Hottie, Sirius Black? Well, whoever you are”girl, boy, Professor Minnie (you know you love me)” and for whatever reason”to see the wild side of Miss Evans, kill Miss Evans, or see me”come to the BEST PARTY EVER. It is located at Lily Evan’s house (address included below). Have the time of your life! The more the merrier is my motto! Be sure to bring the Firewhiskey (especially you, Minnie!) See you there!

Hogwarts’ Number One Hottie (NOT JAMES!!)
Sirius Black


“I am not a stuffy, follow-the-rules-professor-pet!”

“Yeah, we disagreed with Black there””

“And with the fact that he invited Professor McGonagall,” Alice input, “well, I don’t think he actually invited her, but you never know with Sirius…” she trailed off, thinking.

“But still, it’s a party, and you know what that means!” Adrianna continued excitedly.

“BOYS!” yelled Mary, the last of Lily’s best friends. She came sauntering over; her black hair bouncing, though not one strand came out of its place.

“Well, I was going to say Firewhiskey, but yes, boys are definitely a close second!” Adrianna reasoned.

“What are you doing here?” Lily gaped, putting her hand on top of her forehead exasperatedly. She looked around her as if she was asking some unknown person for help. This party was definitely out of control if Mary was here.

“Well, hello to you, too!” snapped Mary defensively. She folded her arms and glared at the red-head.

Lily shook her head. “You know that’s not what I meant. I’m happy every time I see you, but if you’re here”” She looked Mary up and down, taking in her tight pants and sequenced party top.

“”then this party must be filled with boys, alcohol, and other unmentionable things,” Alice finished for Lily, smirking at Mary.

Mary sniffed, lifting her nose up. “So what if I only go to the good parties””

Lily groaned, putting her head in her hands.

“”that doesn’t mean anything about me except that I’m a wild thing!” Mary finished, throwing her hands up into the air and shaking her hips. “Besides, you’re the one who’s hosting it! Why shouldn’t I come to my best friend’s house?”

“WATCH IT!”

Another object”a vase this time”went shooting across the room. It would have hit the group of girls if they hadn’t ducked in time. Lily watched as it shattered on the ground, porcelain going everywhere. It was her mother’s favorite vase. Of course.

“THAT’S IT! PARTY’S OVER! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! NOW!” she screamed over the music. A few people glanced over but went back to dancing as soon as they saw who was shouting. Lily’s face was getting steadily redder and blotchier as her anger grew. “I SAID MM”” A hand had appeared over her mouth, muffling her yells.

“Do you want people to think you really are a quote stuffy, follow-the-rules-professor-pet unquote?” Mary fumed; her hands now on her hips after successfully shutting Lily up.

“I don’t e-ffing care!”

“Well, Skunk. It looks like your mouth is as dirty as your actions!” Sirius Black meandered over, pushing his way between a snogging couple. They shot him a dirty look but he just stumbled a bit, laughing to himself.

“Reparo,” Sirius whispered, pointing his wand at the broken vase on the ground. It immediately righted itself, but then someone stepped backwards, and it went crashing to the floor again.

“BLACK!” Lily lunged forward but was suddenly stopped by a very big stomach. She looked up and all she could focus on was the moustache and the quivering vein in Vernon’s forehead.

“You. Get. Me. Out. Of. Here.” He managed through clenched teeth. The bodies suddenly swarmed closer, making a tight circle around Vernon. Before Lily could speak, Vernon was whisked away as the circle of students moved to a brand new song. Lily just stared at the spot where Vernon had just been standing. Then, suddenly, a pair of hands covered her eyes.

She made to turn around but the hands tightened.

“Now before you kill me, Lils, my love, the only girl my heart beats for”” Lily tensed up, steam already building up inside of her, ready to explode at the last second. “”just know that this was not my idea. Kill Sirius, ok? Not me.” Lily’s jaw was working furiously.

James continued, “So, let’s just take a deep breath. Nice and steady now. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Now repeat after me. It was Sirius’s idea, not James’s idea. I’m going to murder Sirius. Not James. Ok, now let’s go back to out breathing exercises. Breathe in”” But James never got to finish. The group of girls in front of him was counting down on their hands. 5…4...3…2…One finger was left, but then it too vanished, and Lily flew into her infamous rages.

“JAMES POTTER OF ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE EVER DONE TO ME WHY IN MERLIN’S NAME DID YOU HAVE TO ADD THIS TO THE I HAVE TO MURDER JAMES LIST?!”

“It was Sirius’s idea, remember?” James tried weakly. Lily rounded on him and though James was almost a whole foot taller, he cowered at the red head’s intimidating form.

“I DON’T CARE WHOSE IDEA IT WAS YOU MORON! THERE IS A PARTY GOING ON IN MY HOUSE. MY HOUSE! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?”

The girls were sniggering at the two. James was cringing at each word while Lily was gesturing wildly.

Suddenly, Vernon reappeared back at Lily’s side, tapping her on the shoulder.

“WHAT?” she screamed at him, twisting around.

“Just get me out of here!” He was pulling at his moustache frantically.

But then another group of students appeared at his side, made a circle around him, and he was, once again, whisked away.

Lily turned back to James.

“AND WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING THAT!?” Lily yelled at James, demanding an explanation.

James’s chest swelled proudly. “Now that was my idea actually. You see, the whale was getting pretty annoying so when the people started showing up,” He paused, checking to make sure Lily wasn’t going to slap him before continuing. “Sirius and I said the only way they could get in was if they made sure Vernon didn’t get near you, me, or Sirius. They agreed of course.”

“WELL”” Lily began before suddenly a song stopped her dead in her upcoming rant. She turned towards James, her eyes wide. He hesitated for a couple of seconds, making sure once again that he wasn’t going to be injured by Lily, before smiling cautiously at her and taking her hand.

“It’s our song, James,” Lily whispered. She seemed to have forgotten that she had been furious just moments ago. Mary rolled her eyes at the other two girls, muttering something about “bipolar friends.”

“You bet, Love,” James answered. He grabbed her around the waist and she placed her hand on his shoulder and they began swaying to the music. She laid her head on his chest, sighing contently. James chuckled softly.

“What?” she asked, looking up at James.

“You have the most radical mood swings. One minute you’re about to become a murderer and the next you’re in love with me.” Lily hit him lightly on the chest before placing her hand back on his shoulder.

“Shh, you’re ruining the mood!” Lily tsked at him. “And just wait until this song is over! Then you’re dead meat!” James chuckled one more time before putting his head on top of Lily’s.

“Do you remember the day we heard this?” Lily asked softly, her eyes distant.

“Do I remember it?” James asked incredulously. “It was the first time you said yes to me! You agreed to go on a date with me! Of course I remember it!”

Lily laughed. “That was the worst day of my life.”

James made a small noise of disagreement. “It was the best day of my life…except for that whole stomping foot thing. I think my foot still has bruises on it.”

Lily laughed again. “I forgot about that. Why don’t you tell me about it so I can remember.”

“Well, I believe it started like this…” James leaned in so that his lips met Lily’s for a kiss.

-Flashback-

Lily was storming down the hallway. It was nine thirty in the morning, and she was already in a bad mood. She had known, from the moment she had woken up, that it would be one of those days. The kind of day that seemed like world was ending and hell was coming up to consume her. In general terms, Lily was having a bad day and it had all started with bloody James Potter as usual. She had woken up from a nightmare (well for some girls it would have been a great dream, but for her it was a regular nightmare.) James had been in it, like he had been for the last couple of weeks, and he had been protecting her. From what, she had no idea whatsoever. All Lily knew was that when she woke up, all she could remember was the feel of James Potter’s arms around her.

And it had felt good…right almost…that feeling all by itself had annoyed the crap out of her. The day had hardly had gotten better from there. She had missed breakfast because Mary had a dramatic breakdown, was late to her first class, and now had to go to another one of Slughorn’s stupid Slug Club parties.

“Stupid, fat man, with his stupid parties. Why did he have to pick me to be in his club? Because I have no luck at all. My life”” Lily’s muttering abruptly came to a complete halt because, as she turned the corner, Lily collided into something. She would have fallen backwards if someone’s hands hadn’t caught her. They were very familiar hands. In fact, she had just been dreaming about those same hands last night.

Why? Oh why did the gods or whoever was up there hate her so much?

“Lily, my love, how are you on this beautiful day?” James asked, his eyes twinkling. Lily straightened up but James did not let go of her.

“Oh, bugger off,” she muttered, trying to push James away. He just tightened his hold.

“Well Love, it looks like someone has a bit of a potty mouth. Do you need me to wash it for you?” Before Lily could refuse, before she could even comprehend what was happening, James had leaned down and kissed Lily straight on the lips. Lily’s eyes opened wide; her mind was strangely blank. James was kissing her. Kissing her and suddenly, she was kissing him back. Then, time caught up with her brain again, and she remembered where she was and what she was doing.

“OWWWW!” James yelped, pushing back from Lily in pain, and reaching down for his foot. He hopped up and down, his hand frantically clutching his right foot. “Why did you do that?” James panted, still hopping. Lily hastily leapt backwards. Yep, the whole stomping foot thing always worked.

“You are seriously asking me that?” Lily raised her eyebrows, her eyes narrowed in distain. James just glared back at her, massaging his foot. Lily harrumphed. “Are you mental? You kissed me! Kissed me! This day is definitely a day from hell.”

She was glaring at him angrily, her hands on her hips. She made to turn on her heel when suddenly, to top everything off, her bag split right down the side. Books, parchment, and ink went everywhere. She watched a bottle of scarlet ink roll down the hallway in shock. How could this day get any worse? She turned to look at James with an almost helpless expression printed on her face. He was ignoring her now, sitting on the floor with his shoe and sock off. His foot was bright red and a small bruise was already appearing. Lily was looking at her stuff, spread just about everywhere, and exhaustion overcame her. She shuffled over to where James was sitting and slouched down, putting her head in her hands. James looked up at her in surprise which quickly changed to concern.

“Are you ok?” he asked worriedly, still rubbing his foot.

“No.” Lily said; her voice muffled because of her arms.

“Well I’m not either so I guess that makes us two peas in a pod.”

Lily snorted. Snorting was good. No one could tell that you wanted to cry if you snorted. Lily kept her head in her arms with her knees curled up, fighting against tears. Everything was just too much to handle right now. Between the upcoming war Dumbledore kept talking about, her Head Girl Duties, and her conflicting love life, she was becoming drained.

“So, what are we going to do about it?” James asked.

Lily looked up at James. He looked so cute when he was hopeful. Lily eyes widened in alarm at the thought in her head. Stupid, influencing nightmares making her think crazy thoughts. Great, now she was losing her mind. This day really was the worst day ever.

“Lily?” James asked. She shook her head, focusing on the words coming out of James’s mouth and not on his actual mouth. “Lily?”

“What?” she snapped.

“What are we going to do about it?”

“Do about what?” Lily said testily, her patience had long since disappeared.

“How are we going to make each other ok?”

“I don’t know, James. Stop bothering me.” Lily glared at him before putting her head back into her hands. She wanted to go back to bed. Maybe she’d do a Mary and skip her next classes.

“Sorry,” James murmured submissively. Lily automatically felt guilty. He had just been trying to help.

Sighing, Lily turned to him. “Is”er”your foot okay?”

James looked at her, scanning her face, before answering. “Umm..kinda…but you really stomp hard.”

“It’s from footbol, I’d bet.”

“From what?” James asked, bemused.

“Footbol.”

“And what is…footbol?”

“You don’t know what footbol is?” Lily exclaimed. She was now sitting on her knees, her feet folded under her, and looking at James in shock.

“No?” James tried.

“Footbol, or soccer as it is called in the United States, is a muggle sport,” Lily began explaining fervently. “It’s like Quidditch, I guess, except you play it on the ground, can only use your feet, and there is only one goal on opposite sides to score in. Actually, it’s nothing like Quidditch,” Lily added as an after thought. “But the entire muggle world participates in it; it’s like the Quidditch of our world. So in that regard, it is like Quidditch.”

“So you played this footbol.”

“My dad was really into it. Both Tuney and I did it, though she hated it. I had to stop when I came here though…” Lily trailed off, her eyes distant.

“I see,” James lied. Lily opened her mouth to say something when, out of the blue, a voice came bouncing off the walls.

“Ladies and Gentlemen! I have an announcement to make!”

Lily stared at James who had begun to smile.

“Why can I hear Sirius’s voice?” Lily demanded.

James seemed to shrink into himself, looking at Lily hesitantly. “It’s our”umm”newest prank…”

“James Potter! You are Head Boy! You can’t keep these pranks up”” She was interrupted, however, by Sirius’s echoing voice.

“Now as we all know, Minnie, or as lots of you call her, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Dumbledore have always been madly in love. So here’s to you two. May you have a long and loving relationship.” Sirius’s voice stopped and instead was replaced by music.

“Elvis Presley?” Lily asked in awe. She had stood up, glancing around her as the music began playing.

“Is that who sings this? I don’t know; Moony found it.”

Lily smiled slightly as the words began.

Love me tender,
Love me sweet,
Never let me go.
You have made my life complete,
And I love you so.


“I take it you like this song?” James said, standing up and watching Lily.

Lily nodded yes. James had come over to Lily, holding out his hand.

“Well, may I have this dance then?” Lily hesitated before agreeing. What the heck? She hadn’t danced in a while and it was something she had always loved to do.

Love me tender,
Love me true,
All my dreams fulfilled.
For my darlin I love you,
And I always will.

Love me tender,
Love me long,
Take me to your heart.
For its there that I belong,
And well never part.


They swayed back and forth. Lily was singing the song softly. James was watching her, a small smile on his face. God did he love her…

Love me tender,
Love me dear,
Tell me you are mine.
Ill be yours through all the years,
Till the end of time.

When at last my dreams come true
Darling this I know
Happiness will follow you
Everywhere you go.


As the song ended, Lily and James just kept swaying, not wanting to leave their fantasy.

James reluctantly let go of her as the bell rang.

“We’re late for class,” he whispered to her.

“Well, I’ve already been late once; another time isn’t going to hurt me.” Lily sighed. She quickly mended her bag with a swish of her wand. James had collected her belongings.

“Thanks,” She said, her face red. She had just danced with James Potter! Was she losing her mind? She’d never live this down!

She began to walk away when suddenly James grabbed her arm.

“Hey Lily.” He sounded nervous. He cleared his throat twice before continuing. “I know that this is probably going to just mess everything up, but what the hell. Will you go out with me?”

Lily stared at him. He wasn’t looking at her. He shuffled his feet, his right one was bare. She stifled a laugh.

After what seemed like hours, Lily finally answered. “James, this has been probably this worst day of my life.”

James groaned softly, muttering to himself. “Why do I ruin everything?”

Lily ignored him, still talking. “But you kinda made it better. So I guess…Yeah…I mean yes, I’ll go out with you.” Lily eyes widened. She had said yes. Oh Merlin, she really had lost her mind!

“I know Lily, I’ll just go,” James had started talking but then he stopped. He looked at her in shock; it seemed that he had stopped breathing.

“What did you just say?”

“I said yes, James.”

“Huh?”

“YES! God, do I have to slap you to get this across? Yes, I’ll go out with you! YES!” Lily yelled exasperatedly.

James’s face now had a stupid looking grin on it. “Yes?”

“YES!” Lily yelled, annoyance for the boy now returning. “But only because of the whole foot stomping thing. I feel bad.” She lied. It wasn’t good to give him an even bigger head yet.

“HALLELUJAH!” James screamed, before lifting Lily off her feet and spinning her around. Lily laughed slightly as he put her down. “You said yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

“Yes,” Lily giggled.

When suddenly, a voice interrupted them.

“What are you two doing out of class? Detention!”

Lily twisted around to see the professor glaring at them. Yes, today was the worst day of her life.

-Flashback Ends-

The song ended but just like last time, James and Lily continued swaying. They would have stayed like that for a very long time if something hadn’t interrupted them.

“OH MY GOD! LILY!” A scream, so loud that it actually drowned out the music, had sounded by the door.

“Oh no,” Lily groaned. “Petunia.” Then she narrowed her eyes when she saw that James seemed to be trying to make himself disappear.

“LILY EVANS!” Petunia screeched again. “OH MY GOD!”

“Get back here,” Lily snapped at James. “If I’m going down, you’re going down with me.” She grabbed him by the arm before marching towards the door. After this was all over, she was officially going to murder James and Sirius, song or no song.
Worlds Forever Divided by Phenioxsong22
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling :)
“I’m already on your sister’s hate list. Won’t this just make it worse for you? I mean to see you and me together””

“You have exactly one second to shut up.”

James immediately clamped his mouth shut, but threw Lily’s friends one last, desperate look. They waved at him sympathetically until the crowd swallowed the couple up.

“LILY!”

The students, for one brief moment, paused and searched for the source of the noise. Lily finally broke through the mass of people enough to see Petunia. She was cowering, visibly cringing away from the crowd, as the stares pinpointed the noise and locked eyes with the woman.

“L-LI-LILY EVANS!”

Lily hurried up to her sister, literally dragging James by the hand. For one moment, Petunia looked relieved to see the familiar red head, but complete rage replaced the emotion as quickly as it came. Lily suddenly turned her head back to see the students still eyeing her warily.

“WELL?” she yelled at them. They jumped and instantly restarted their partying antics. Lily sighed heavily. When she returned her gaze to Petunia, it was Lily who shrank back. She collided slightly with James, who put his arms around her instinctively.

Petunia narrowed her eyes in disdain at the small gesture and James, getting the point, released his hold.

“Let’s go into the hall,” Lily said hurriedly and, before Petunia could protest, rushed into the small corridor.

Petunia stalked angrily after her and stopped inches from Lily. She shakily pointed towards the family room. “There is a party in there with m-magic!”

“Way to point out the obvious,” Lily said without thinking.

In a rash movement, Petunia swung her hand back and slapped her little sister. The sound echoed through the room and bounced off the walls, until finally creating an invisible barrier between the two sisters.

Lily and Petunia both gasped. Lily shakily lifted her hand to her cheek and then looked at it, as if expecting to see blood.

“I-I’m sorry.” Petunia’s eyes were fastened onto the quickly appearing hand print. “I’m sorry.”

While Lily stared at her in disbelief, James stepped between the two sisters. “Stay away from her. I don’t want you near her.” He was blazing with the same vivid anger that Petunia had caused once before.

“I”” she started, but another voice interrupted.

“I always knew you were the real witch.” Everyone turned towards the sneering tone. The teenager was wearing all black, his hair swinging around his face ungracefully. He stepped out of the small alcove hidden from where the three were standing.

Snivellus!” James snarled. He whipped his wand out and pushed Lily behind him all in one motion. Petunia’s face had turned white.

Severus rolled his eyes at the Gryffindor in front of him, but James continued, “Get out of here.”

Severus just smirked at the angered man. “I don’t believe I have ever taken orders from a prat before. Besides, I wasn’t talking to you but to Tuney here.” He sneered her name. “Tuney and I go way back. Remember the tree branch?” Petunia took a step back, but Lily wrenched herself away from James’s restraining hand. Snape’s eyes never left the imprint on her cheek.

“Leave, Severus.”

Hurt clouded the black eyes for a moment, but it was quickly hidden under an impassive expression. “Why should I? I’ve always been welcome in the Evans’ house.”

“Used to be,” Lily corrected. “But the Mudblood’s house isn’t good enough for you now, is it, Sev?”

“I never meant”” he started hurriedly, as if forgetting there were other people in the room.

“Save your breath. Go back to your little Death Eater friends. You can insult me all you want, but don’t you dare start anything in my house.”

“Actually, if you even think about insulting my girlfriend, that tongue of yours will go missing,” James growled. His hand was clenching his wand so tightly that sparks were flying out in small increments.

Snape’s eyes glittered oddly. “Fine,” he spat. “But know he won’t always be there to protect you. It’s a new world, Lily, and you have no idea what you’re up against.”

James lunged forward, but Snape had already gone with a small pop. The teenager cursed violently, his hands up as if he was strangling the air.

Lily closed her eyes and leaned against the wall. Inch by inch, she slid down the wall until her head was lying on her knees.

“I swear Lily, I’ll kill the””

“James,” Lily began tiredly. “Just get everyone out of here, alright?”

He hesitated for a long moment and glanced warily at Petunia as he spoke, “I’m not leaving you.”

Please. For once, please listen to me.” James stared at her small, fragile figure and, throwing Petunia a disgusted look, he ran into the adjoining room. The two sisters heard James’s voice magically magnified.

“OY! EVERYONE OUT! NOW!”

There was a mutual groan and complaint as the music came to a crashing stop, but James ignored it. “EVERYONE HAS FIVE SECONDS TO GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE! DO YOU WANT ME TO JINX YOU?” There was a mad rush and a sound like a bunch of bubbles being popped.

“You too, Mary, Adrianna, Alice.”

“Where’s Lily?” Mary’s demanding voice carried out to the hall.

“Go.”

“Excuse me! I don’t believe you have the right to keep me from seeing my best friend!”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

“Ever heard the saying witches before Snitches?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Girls before boys, you idiot!”

“And how the hell does that refer to a Snitch?”

“You’re a Quidditch player for Merlin’s sake! Everyone knows Snitches are boys.”

“Really, ‘cause I thought a Snitch was an it.”

“A Snitch is a he not an it! And you call yourself a captain.”

“Get out, Mary.”

She huffed angrily. “No.”

“Get out or I’ll make you get out.”

There was a tense silence in which Mary’s muttering could be heard. “Over-controlling boyfriend! You know that’s the first step of an abusive relationship”when the man tells his girlfriend who she can and cannot see. I will be speaking to Lily about this!” There was a whizzing sound, an OW! and then, three angry CRACKS filled the air. James hurried back to Lily and Petunia who were unmoving statues.

“Ok”” James started but another voice interrupted him.

“Where’d everybody go? I wanna…wanna…dance...like a leprechaun. Hee Hee!” Sirius stumbled out of the room, holding the wall for dear life. “You!” He pointed to Lily who just groaned. “You the leprechaun now! Not a skunk! You…you…red hair…” He hiccupped loudly before collapsing on the floor in little fits of giggles. James smacked himself on the forehead just as Vernon waddled into the room.

“H-Help. They had those…sparks everywhere …the boys had…sticks.”

“Yep, boys do have sticks.” Sirius grinned wickedly, acting almost like his old self, until he saw Lily again and started singing about gold.

“Things flying…and pigs! Pigs!” Vernon couldn’t put together a coherent sentence.

James cried out in exasperation, “Oh for Merlin’s sake!”

He pointed his wand at Vernon but Petunia yelled in alarm, “No!” James looked at her sideways.

“Vernon, go into the kitchen,” He pointed his wand at the doorway and then back at the huge man. “And Petunia just…just go.” She cast a worried glance at James and Lily before pulling on a still-muttering Vernon’s arm and leading him out of their sight.

“And Padfoot, go to bed or something.”

Sirius stopped singing for a moment and cocked his head towards James. “Bed? I lurve beds, especially when girls””

“NOW PADFOOT!”

“Okey dokey.” He looked at Lily still curled on the ground and waved. “Bye, Leprechaun.”

Then with a loud pop, he was gone.

“I didn’t mean Apparate, you idiot!” James shook his head and muttered to himself. “He’ll be back within the hour.”

Lily stayed silent, refusing to look James in the eye. He slouched to the floor next her and gently took her chin. He slowly turned it so that the handprint”still red and obvious”could be seen.

“If that bruises, I swear, I’ll””

“Stop,” Lily whispered. “Please stop.”

James glanced at her in concern. “Lily flower, is it the party? Because I promise I’ll punish Sirius for the rest of the year.”

She said nothing, however, just dropped her chin back onto her knees.

“Was it Petunia? Want me to hang her upside down? I”” He trailed off when Lily turned her head away from him.

“Lily, love, you’re scaring me!”

She moved her head, slowly, ever so slowly, until her watering eyes met James’s hazel ones. “What if he’s right?” she breathed.

“Lily?”

“Will you be…gone?”

“Lily, what are you talking about?”

She drew in a ragged breath as she whipped her face away from James again. “What if Severus is right? What if everything is changing and not for the better?”

James gave a quiet chuckle. “You’re worried about what Snivellus, of all people, said?” Lily glared at him.

“That’s my girl,” James said with a small smile. But the phrase seemed to flicker something on in Lily that caused her to close her eyes as if in pain.

“Do you really mean that?” She said in a tone so low, James barely caught it, and when the question finally registered with his brain, James heard himself gasp.

“Do I mean that?” James stuttered. “Lily, Lily, Lily.” He took her hands and squeezed them. “You really doubt me?”

She shrugged, not meeting his eyes.

James was quiet for a long moment and then he began to speak with conviction. “Lily, first year, I thought you were a know-it-all, goody-two-shoes, rule-abiding, should-have-been-a-Ravenclaw kind of girl. Then at the end of the year, I was teasing Snivellus, and you stood up to me. Yelled at me so loud, my eardrums still aren’t the way they used to me; slapped me across the face so hard, my teeth shook; and hexed me with so much power, I spent a night in the hospital wing. I respected you.

“Second year: you were no longer the quiet, studious girl. You were a true Gryffindor”a leader to follow, one to look to in times of trouble, a courageous girl that fights for her beliefs. You were the first person that made me stop and think of the consequences of my actions. I can still remember your words…

-Flashback-

He was on the third floor and in his element.

“Faster! Faster!” The students screamed before erupting into laughter.

James smirked as the Slytherin boy rose on his toes and pirouetted with an unnatural speed. The prank would have been better if the boy was Snape, but beggars can’t be choosers…

He flicked his wand, and the boy did a flying leap.

“Nice tights!” someone hollered and James stifled a laugh. Merlin, he was good.

The laughter in the room suddenly died and James looked over his shoulder, expecting a professor.

Instead, a girl, her red hair swinging around her head like a fiery halo, was slowly marching towards him. James sighed, already readying himself for a slap.

The students slowly moved and pressed against the wall as if Lily was parting the Red Sea.

“Come to ruin the fun, have you?” James called.

But Lily walked straight past him to the boy. He was sitting on the ground, his face bright red.

“I’m sorry. Go to your common room, get yourself changed, and go get a hot cocoa from the house elves. I’m so sorry…”

James waited, expecting an insult from the boy, but he was sorely surprised.

The Slytherin looked Lily in the eye, and whispered, “Thank you.” The two grasped hands and Lily pulled him up so that he was standing. With one more grateful glance toward Lily, he was running. No one laughed.

Lily turned and began walking the opposite direction.

“What, no scolding for James?” the messy haired boy called.

Lily paused and unhurriedly rotated so that it felt like years when the two were finally face to face. “I’m done wasting my breath on you. You don’t deserve to be in Gryffindor. Our founder would have been ashamed to have you in his noble house.”

James felt something creeping inside him. It was clawing around his stomach until he couldn’t breathe, because guilt had always been conveniently missing during his pranks. It wasn’t until now that it decided to show its face.

Lily was already walking away by the time James found his voice.

“He was a Slytherin!” One last defense to excuse his actions.

Lily stopped but didn’t turn around. “Really? Because the one I saw being a true, cruel Slytherin was not the boy wearing the serpent. It was the one holding the wand.”

-Flashback Ends-

“…I hated you that year because I hated myself. Here I was, a twelve year old boy, realizing life wasn’t black and white. Slytherins were not always Slytherins; Gryffindors not always Gryffindors. I eventually disregarded your statement, but it took me weeks to do another prank”something Sirius still says he’s going to kill you for. But eventually, I went back to my ways and it was like you hadn’t spoken…at least that’s what I told myself.

“Beginning of third year, I felt like we were forever in a never-ending cycle. I would mess up, you would a) scream at me b) slap me c) hex me or d) all of the above. Then the cycle would begin all over again. But it was that year that I grudgingly began to like you.

“Fourth year changed everything. You were beautiful, Lily. Emerald green eyes that sparkled with passion, gorgeous locks of red curls, and a fire that consumed you whenever you spoke. It was that year”as I’m sure you remember”that I began my chase to try and catch you. I liked you, wanted you, and was determined to hex everyone in my way.

“Fifth and six year was a continuation of fourth. You refused to acknowledge my feelings for you, and I was devastated every time. You were never a thing to win”and you must understand that!”you were everything I wanted in a girl.”

“Then this year, seventh year.” At this, Lily gave the smallest of smiles as James grinned wildly. “We were made Heads together, and I know you thought Dumbledore had gone insane. We worked together, and finally, finally you said yes! It was the year I fell in love with you.

“Lily, I love you. I can’t imagine life without you. You make me the man I should be, and you represent everything in the world that is good and pure and righteous. So please, Lily, I wear my heart on my sleeve just so you can grab it and never let it go. I know I sound corny and clichéd and cheesy, but Lily Flower, I love you!

“In fact…” James rummaged in his pocket for a second and pulled out a box. Lily’s eyes widened in fear and wonder. Her heart flew into her throat. “Now, before you start to freak out on me, listen.” He popped the box open and a ring caught the light.

“James”I””

“Shh! I said listen.”

“This is a Claddagh ring”cliché, I know”but the hands represent friendship, the crown loyalty, and the heart is for love. The emerald is for your eyes, of course. Lily, this is a promise ring…you know what that is, right?” She nodded and James cleared his throat and continued, “ I’ve had it for a while now, months actually, but there was never a right time to actually give it to you, and Sirius said that I was a girl for doing this because giving promise rings is a very girly thing to do, though I didn’t really understand because you like the ring, don’t you, and you will wear it, right, and promise that we will get married soon after school and have little green-eyed, red-haired children running around a white picket fence and brick house with a Quidditch field, of course? Not that you have to, say yes that is, I mean only if you want to, I mean wear it, and…”

Lily pressed her hand over his mouth. “You always ramble when you’re nervous.” She smiled at him and whispered. “Yes, James Potter, yes.” She held out her hand.

James had frozen. The box clenched tightly in his fingers.

“What did you say?”

Lily burst out laughing. “Are we always going to do this when my answer shocks you? But yes, James! Yes, I love you! Yes, I want to be with you! Yes! Yes! Yes!”

James shakily slid the ring on her left hand. And then he was whooping and hollering and swinging Lily around in his arms. He placed her on the ground and pressed his lips to hers. He pulled back the slightest amount just so that he could murmur one last promise to her.

“I do love you, and I always will. Snivellus was right; things are changing, wars are forming, but he was wrong, too. I will never leave you. Even if you can’t see me, I will always be there and my love for you will never fade. Now, have I been cheesy enough, yet?”

“Yes,” Lily laughed, tears sliding her face.

“I never tire of that word…”

She said nothing but kissed James with every ounce of strength she had. She should never have been scared; Severus was wrong”James loved her.


Petunia watched her sister and James kiss each other as if there was no tomorrow. But for once, it didn’t bother her. She felt numb, spent, exhausted. She had been so afraid tonight. Of the magic. Of Snape. Of love. She felt like darkness was overwhelming her until soon, nothing would be left. All because of this night.

Way to point out the obvious…

Petunia shivered. She had slapped her baby sister. Slapped her! Yes, both sisters couldn’t stand each other, but they had never gone to blows before. Sure, they had thrown things and spit words at each other. Lily had even hexed her! But that was in a sisterly anger that all families had.

But in that moment, in that rash second, Petunia had been scared of her sister and the world she lived in. The strike hadn’t been because of Lily’s sarcastic comment. That may be what James had thought set Petunia off, but the sisters knew better. Petunia had hit her because of who she was, what she was…because of magic and spells and a world Petunia was forbidden to have. And there was no going back. They had been treading on thin ice for awhile, but now they had broken through and drowned.

She would be invited to Lily’s wedding, but she wouldn’t go. She would be asked to attend her nieces and nephews’ parties, but she wouldn’t go. When the light finally left her sister’s eyes and she was buried in the ground, Petunia wouldn’t go to the funeral.

They were in different worlds now. Two worlds forever divided. All because of a single slap.

And now as she watched her sister, she was jealous. Jealous because Lily was a witch, because Lily was strong and willful and beautiful. Jealous because James loved Lily in a way Vernon didn’t love her. Jealous because Lily was happy.

And she hated Lily because she hated that she was envious.

From this moment on, life could never go back to the way it was. She stood watching until everything became too much and Petunia retreated to the night where it was only the stars, flowers, and her hatred for herself.
End Notes:
Ok, so after months and months of waiting (SORRY!) chapter seven has arrived. It is definitely darker than some of my other chapters, but things are always changing in the Evans's house. Thanks being the wonderful reviewers and readers that you are!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60918