Holly and Hope by Gmariam
Summary: Sirius and Remus join James, Lily, and Harry in decorating a special tree during Harry’s first Christmas. An unexpected visitor brings sad news, but leaves them with words of hope on the snowy night.

This story was written by Gmariam of Ravenclaw for the December Challenge, prompt four - Oh Christmas Tree.

Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2936 Read: 2048 Published: 12/08/06 Updated: 12/08/06

1. Holly and Hope by Gmariam

Holly and Hope by Gmariam
Bright winter stars shimmered in the clear sky, their sparkling light dripping like delicate diamonds onto the snowy ground below. A quiet wind blew silver eddies of frost through the streets of a sleepy Muggle village. Though the village was dark, one house shone with a warm glow, as those within celebrated the mid-winter holiday with friends and loved ones.

James Potter and Remus Lupin struggled to drag a large evergreen tree through the tiny front door of the small cottage. Their cheeks were red from the cold and their hair covered in white snow. They laughed as the tree stuck once more in the narrow doorway.

“Lily!” called James, doubled over with mirth behind the tree. “Can we please use magic? I see no reason to destroy a perfectly decent doorway just because you won’t let us use our wands.”

Remus snorted and James winked at him.

Lily Potter appeared from the kitchen carrying a tray of drinks, long red hair swinging behind her as she shook her head. Sirius Black followed behind her with several plates of cookies; his grey eyes were dancing as he grinned at his friends in the doorway.

“No magic - not here, not tonight,” Lily said firmly, putting down the tray and frowning at her husband. “I really don’t see why it’s so difficult, my family managed it without magic just fine.”

“A few splinters never hurt a man,” added Sirius. He set down the cookies and joined a dark haired baby burbling merrily on the floor. “Hurry up, Harry is cold,” he added with a wink at Lily, ruffling Harry’s messy hair.

James sighed in mock pain. “All right then, but don’t blame me if we lose half the tree, and possibly a limb of our own. On three, Remus.” He counted off, and with one last push they forced the tree through the doorway. A cascade of pine needles showered down on them and they both fell to the floor, consumed with fits of laughter.

“Oh, really,” said Lily, rolling her eyes as she helped Remus stand and shut the door to the cold night. “I knew I should have asked Sirius.”

There was more laughter all around as James and Remus shook off the pine needles and snow, and hung their coats near the door. James cleaned off his glasses, then bent down to pick up Harry. He spun the boy around in the air, and Harry giggled joyfully.

Sirius and Remus dragged the heavy tree to the corner Lily had prepared. They set it upright in a metal stand, but it leaned crookedly against the wall. Sirius discreetly waved his wand and straightened the sorry tree, setting its broken branches right.

Lily stepped into a back room and returned with a large box, which she set on the floor next to the tree before turning back to the others. “All right, let’s trim the tree,” she said brightly.

“Trim it?” muttered Sirius under his breath to Remus. “I just fixed it.” Remus laughed, and joined Lily in digging through the box. Together they began to hang various sizes of multicolored glass balls on the green branches, as James and Sirius played with Harry on the floor.

“It’s a bit dull without magic, isn’t it?” asked Sirius after a while, staring critically at the rather bland Christmas tree. Lily turned and gave him a huffy look. Sirius grinned at her and bounced Harry on his knee.

“Did you bring what I asked?” she asked pointedly, taking Harry from his godfather. He wrapped his tiny hands in her long hair, and she gently untangled his fingers as she kissed his chubby cheeks.

Sirius nodded and stood. “As a matter of fact, I did. Surprised?” He retrieved a small bag from the corner and returned to the tree, raising his eyebrows at Lily.

“Shocked,” she replied dryly. “Remus, did you remember?”

“Of course,” he answered, and took a small package from the pocket of his trousers. “I’m the responsible one.” Sirius pretended to look offended.

“You’re just as much a troublemaker as the rest of us,” he protested. “Especially during the full moon. Who’s responsible then, Moony?”

Remus simply inclined his head with a smile; he had managed to prickle his friend, and was happy to put up with the retorts.

“You too, James,” Lily finished. “And please bring mine as well.”

“Yes, dear,” he sighed as he went upstairs and returned with a small box. He joined the others around the tree.

“Sirius, would you start?” asked Lily. Harry nestled against her shoulder and she whispered softly to him as Sirius opened his bag and took out two small ornaments.

The first piece was a wooden rat, crudely carved with rough strokes. With a large grin, he placed the ornament on the tree. “For Wormtail, our absent but much missed friend. I hope he’s enjoying the coast.”

“He’s in Dover, then?” asked Remus curiously, and Sirius nodded.

“He’s the only one of us with family to visit,” he replied with a shrug.

“We’re family,” Remus said softly, and Sirius gave him a grateful smile.

“Yes, we are,” agreed Sirius. “And growing, too.” He took out the second ornament: it was a tiny broomstick made of polished oak, minute in its details. “For my godson, may he be as good a flyer as his father, but smarter and prettier.” James laughed, and Sirius grinned as they shook hands.

“Thank you, Sirius,” Lily said softly, as Harry began to doze in her arms. “Remus, would you like to go next?”

Remus unwrapped his small package, revealing a trio of ceramic figures painted lifelike with a soft glaze. He smiled as he hung the ornament on the tree.

“For my family, who stood by my side for so long,” he said, then took a second ceramic figure from the package. “And for my friends, who continue to stand by my side as my second family.” He hung the second ornament not far from the first; it was a setting of four young men, staring a full moon. Sirius gave a barking laugh and clapped Remus on the shoulder.

“It’s your turn, James,” said Lily, and with another sigh he reached into the small box he was holding and drew out an ornament in the shape of a sturdy wooden manor house. He placed the decoration on the tree, and stepped back, silent for a long moment.

“For my parents,” he said quietly. “I think I turned out okay, thanks to you.” Sirius snorted, and Lily punched his arm. “I’m sorry you couldn’t be here with us, with Harry, but I know you are watching, somewhere. I miss you.” James swallowed hard, his eyes bright and his jaw set. Lily shifted Harry in her arms and kissed her husband on the cheek. Then she traded Harry to James for the small box.

Reaching into the box, she pulled out two last ornaments before setting the box on a nearby table. “For my parents as well,” she said as she hung a pair of golden wedding bands on the tree, entwined together with silver ribbon. “We’ve lost so much this year. I love you.” She did not cry but took the second ornament and placed it next to the first. It was a tiny wicker bassinet; a simple blue blanket tucked in the small figure of a baby boy, fast asleep.

“For Harry,” said Lily, and she smiled even as her voice started to break. “For our beautiful son, may he grow into a strong man.” She put her head on James’s shoulder and sniffed. For a long moment the friends stood in silence, staring at the tree and the memories it reflected.

A soft rap at the door brought them out of their reverie. James handed Harry back to Lily, and went to see who was calling on them. He was surprised to see a tall, thin man wearing a purple cloak, wrapped tight to ward off the cold. His half-moon spectacles reflected the bright sheen the newly fallen snow.

“Professor Dumbledore!” James exclaimed, surprised to see the Hogwarts headmaster and leader of the Order of the Phoenix. “Please come in!” He took the headmaster’s hand and shook it warmly.

“Thank you, James,” said Dumbledore, a small smile lighting his tired face as he stepped inside. “I appreciate your hospitality. I will not burden your holiday for long.”

James took the headmaster’s cloak and hung it with the others. “You’re certainly no burden, Professor. You know you are welcome here anytime.” He led Dumbledore further into the warm cottage. The headmaster embraced Lily and tickled Harry under the chin; the young boy reached for the older man’s spectacles, and Dumbledore laughed merrily, then moved away to greet the others.

“What brings you out for a personal house call this late, Professor?” asked Sirius as he shook the headmaster’s hand.

“Actually, Sirius,” began Dumbledore, sounding grave, “I am here to see you.”

Sirius looked at him sharply. “You have news about Regulus?” he asked, his voice tight. His brother had been missing for several days, and Sirius had been waiting anxiously for word since. Though he had fallen out with Regulus several years ago, they were family, and he was worried for his younger brother, particularly given the circumstances of his disappearance.

Dumbledore nodded wearily. “I do, but perhaps you should sit down.”

“Tell me,” demanded Sirius, ignoring the suggestion. “Did you find him? Is he alive?”

“I’m sorry,” Dumbledore said softly, with a sad sigh. “He did not make it.”

Lily gasped, and James and Remus moved to Sirius’s side to support their friend. Sirius stood still as a statue, staring at the headmaster as if he hadn’t heard the terrible words, or simply refused to believe them.

“He’s dead?” whispered Sirius, and Dumbledore nodded once more. Sirius stumbled as he moved toward a chair; James and Remus caught him and helped him sit. He put his head in his hands, devastated.

“What happened?” asked Remus quietly.

Dumbledore was silent a moment as he watched Sirius with an expression of deepest sympathy. Finally he spoke quietly. “As you know, Regulus came to the Order several days ago and informed us of his intention to leave the Death Eaters.” When Remus nodded, Dumbledore continued. “Unfortunately, Regulus was not able to keep his defection secret. He was killed before he had a chance to finalize his plans. I was informed by my source that Voldemort himself went after Regulus for his betrayal.”

Sirius looked up, his eyes shocked and sad. “Who told you?”

Dumbledore shook his head this time. “You know I cannot tell you, Sirius.”

Sirius looked ready to retort, for a look of fast anger flashed across his face. It was quickly replaced by sorrow, as he indicated his understanding. “How did it happen? Did he suffer?”

“I do not know the details,” replied Dumbledore. “Yet he died for what he believed, Sirius. He made the choice to leave Voldemort’s service, and he died a free man.”

“I’m the last of the Blacks now,” Sirius said softly, looking blankly out the window. He closed his eyes, as he fought to control his ragged breathing.

Lily handed Harry to James once more, and knelt down next to the stricken man. “I’m so sorry, Sirius,” she whispered, and took him in her arms. He let himself be held, unashamed as he cried silently, and she stroked his back as she comforted him, tears running down her face as well.

James and Remus turned to Dumbledore. “Is there any other news?” asked James, a hint of anger touching the sorrow in his voice.

Dumbledore sighed as he took off his spectacles and rubbed at his eyes. “Thankfully, no. It has been a quiet holiday thus far. I did not wish to deliver such grim news on a night like this, but I thought Sirius would want to know.”

Sirius stood up, chasing away the lingering wetness in his eyes with the back of his hand. “I did want to know. Thank you.” He took Dumbledore’s arm and gazed deep into his clear blue eyes; the headmaster nodded in understanding. “If you don’t mind, I’m going to step outside for a moment.” He grabbed his cloak and stalked into the night. Lily looked alarmed.

“He’s not going to do something rash, is he?” she asked, her voice laced with concern. “Maybe you should go after him?”

“No,” said Remus softly, his eyes on the door. “He’s not leaving. He just needs to run it off.” Dumbledore raised his eyebrow, but no one offered an explanation.

“You have a lovely tree,” Dumbledore said, after a long moment of silence. “Might I add an ornament of my own?”

“Of course!” exclaimed Lily. “We’d be honored.”

Dumbledore took out his wand and conjured a small metal ornament. It was an intricate replica of the Black family crest. He made his way to the tree and added the golden ornament among the green branches. “For Regulus Black, may he rest in peace.”

As the others stood and gazed sadly at the new ornament, a soft sound reached their ears. It was coming from outside the cottage, the clear pure sound of singing. Curious, Remus made his way to the door and opened it to find a group of Muggle carolers serenading him from the stoop. He motioned the others to join him, and they gathered together to listen to the singers.

The holly and the ivy,
When they are both full grown,
Of all the trees that are in the wood,
The holly bears the crown.
O, the rising of the sun,
And the running of the deer,
The playing of the merry organ,
Sweet singing of the choir.


The Muggles were dressed warm against the cold night in festive scarves and hats. They smiled and waved as they moved on to the next house. As they walked away, a large black dog could be seen by the edge of the trees surrounding the tiny village. It sat on its haunches as if it had been listening, then raised its dark muzzle to the night sky and howled. James, Lily, and Remus exchanged a sad look, and Dumbledore raised his eyebrows again. The black dog leapt off through the trees, and James shut the door, knowing that Sirius was best left to his hunt, and would return in time, when he was ready.

The others returned to the living room and talked quietly around the tree. They remembered friends unable to join them, and loved ones lost to sickness, old age, and the long war with Voldemort. They recalled good times at Hogwarts and hard times with the Order. They reflected on the future, on their hopes and dreams for a world that was peaceful and safe.

After a while Sirius returned, his face flushed and his eyes bright. He shook the snow from dark his hair as he warmed his hands by the fire. Lily brought him a cup of hot cocoa, and he joined the others near the tree. He saw the crest that Dumbledore had added to the tree and smiled sadly. Then he took out his wand and conjured one last ornament: a golden phoenix carrying a sprig of red holly in its beak.

“For the Order,” he said simply. “And for all those who continue to fight, may we stand strong and see victory for those who have fallen.” Once more there was silence as everyone gazed silently at the evergreen, wrapped up in their own pensive thoughts.

With a sudden flourish of his wand, Dumbledore added a hundred twinkling fairy lights to the dark tree. Everyone gasped as the room shimmered brightly with a warm golden glow. Dumbledore smiled as Lily kissed his cheek. “The smallest spark of light will chase away even the darkest shadows of night,” he said. Remus nodded in understanding as James and Sirius exchanged a puzzled look. Dumbledore laughed.

“Have faith,” he said, moving to the door for his cloak. “The Muggles believe a special baby was born this night that brought salvation to them all.” He fastened his cloak and moved toward James and Harry. “A very special child,” he said softly, gently touching Harry’s cheek with a thoughtful look.

“Good night, Professor,” said Lily, embracing the older man. “Thank you for coming by.”

Dumbledore inclined his head to her, then moved to shake the others’ hands. He took Sirius’s hand last, and embraced him tightly. Finally he wrapped his cloak tight and stepped out into the cold night. Above him a single star shone brightly on the snow covered village. As he walked toward the edge of the small town, Dumbledore heard the sound of the Muggle carolers once more, and smiled to himself as he reflected on the many meanings of their beautiful song.

The holly and the ivy
Now both are full well grown.
Of all the trees that are in the wood,
The holly bears the crown.
O the rising of the sun,
And the running of the deer,
The playing of the merry organ
Sweet singing of the choir





A/N: This story was written for the December Challenge, Prompt 4 - Oh, Christmas Tree. The carol is The Holly and the Ivy. Somehow it seemed appropriate, I hope you can see why.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=61079