Lacrymosa by music_is_magic
Summary: Blame it on me
Set your guilt free
Nothing can hold you back now!


Hermione thought she loved John.

But then he changed, and became everything she hated. She copes with the harsh breakup, and finds that betrayal is too hard for her to deal with.
Categories: Hermione/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1481 Read: 1524 Published: 12/22/06 Updated: 12/29/06

1. Lacrymosa by music_is_magic

Lacrymosa by music_is_magic
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer- J.K Rowling owns most of this. She is the genius. I am just making her characters do things. She created this.

The Lyrics are from Lacrymosa, performed by Evanescense, written by Amy Lee and Terry Balsamo.

Thanks to LilithBoadecia for Beta Reading!
Out on your own
Cold and alone again
Can this be what you really wanted, baby?




Hermione stared out the window, watching the lone figure walking slowly through the snow, who occasionally glanced back at Hermione’s house.



She sighed. Walking away was the man she had thought she had loved, but who had broken her heart terribly. John Edwards. Cool, collected man whom she had dated for a year. They had met in the Ministry, on a cold winter evening such as this.


She had been leaving work when suddenly they had collided, causing both of them to drop their papers. She had been irritated at first, but when she saw his face, all she could think was that he was the most handsome man she had ever seen.



He had dark brown hair, which fell in his eyes attractively; his skin was a clean, fair colour and his eyes - his eyes were hypnotizing, an exquisite green.


But most of all Hermione had fallen for his perfect smile.



Within five minutes, they had exchanged numbers - he knew how to use a Muggle phone as well, which only added to his perfection - and arranged to meet at the Leaky Cauldron.


After a month, they were completely in love. John shared all of Hermione’s interests - he was extremely well read, his father was a Muggle dentist, he worked in the Ministry, and he also enjoyed Runes. He had gotten great marks at Hogwarts, where he was the year above her. She was surprised they had never met, but he was a Ravenclaw, so she figured it was possible.



Then it had all gone wrong. What began as gentle bickering became World Wars Three and Four. They could never see eye to eye on anything.



But Hermione never lost hope. That is, until she saw him kissing another woman in the park. Not on the cheeks. A full-on snog. She decided not to let him treat her like this. So as soon as he came home, she had his bags packed, and told him he had to leave.



She glanced out the window again, and saw, to her horror, that he was coming back.
“Oh no,” she whispered as he knocked on the door.



Blame it on me
Set your guilt free
Nothing can hold you back now




She walked slowly to the door and opened it a fraction. John was standing out there, trying to appear kind and innocent.


“Hermione, sweetie, please let me explain…”
“Don’t call me sweetie! And you don’t need to explain John. You cheated on me. End of discussion. Now just leave!” she said, trying to shut the door, but he pushed it open.


“You know it’s all your fault, don’t you?” he said, and Hermione paused. That had gotten her attention. She glanced up at him, and was enraged to see that he had a smirk on his face.


“How is this my fault, John?” she asked, letting him in reluctantly. He sat on her couch, calm and relaxed.


“You were acting too smart. Always had to be right. I needed someone - well, a little less argumentative. Less smart.”
“You mean the first bimbo you came across.” she said bitterly, and John raised his eyebrows.


“See? You always act smarter than me. The woman’s meant to be helpful and dumb-“
“You sexist pig!” Hermione exclaimed in disbelief. John glared at her, no longer calm. “Get out of my house!” she screamed, pulling out her wand. He left the house quickly, pausing at the door.


“I’ll be back Hermione,” was all he said before leaving the house. Hermione stared at the door hopelessly for a moment, before collapsing on the floor, tears cascading down her cheeks.


Now that you’re gone
I feel like myself again
Grieving the things I can’t repair and willing…




Hermione took a deep breath, before walking up to the front door of the Burrow. She knocked a few times, waiting patiently. She could see a red-haired figure coming towards her through the fly screen, but could not quite tell who it was.


“Hermione!” the Weasley exclaimed, opening the door. It turned out to be Ginny, who hugged Hermione fondly.
“I haven’t seen you in ages!” Ginny exclaimed, stepping back. Hermione felt guilty; it was true that when she was with John, she had not had time for visiting her old friends.


She looked closely at Ginny. Her friend had grown up a lot since they had met, around ten years ago. Ginny had grown into a beautiful young woman, tall and graceful.


“Why are you here? I thought you moved in with Harry,” she commented, after a long awkward silence. Ginny smiled. “Oh yeah. I came to see Mum and Dad and Ron-“
“Ron? Is he still living here?” Hermione asked, surprised. Ginny frowned. “Well, he kind of doesn’t have enough money for a place to live.” She lowered her voice, as if she was saying some dreadful secret.


“He failed his Auror test, so he has to try it again. That was months ago now though,” she said under her breath, and Hermione let out a cry of surprise.
“Harry didn’t fail, did he?” she asked, and Ginny shook her head, a smile on her face. “Nah, Harry passed with flying colours.”


They walked inside, and Hermione said a quick hello to Mrs. Weasley, before walking upstairs to Ginny’s old room. They entered, and Ginny closed the door, turning to Hermione.


“So, what has happened to you? I’m guessing some traumatic drama in your life recently?”
“How did you-“
“Hermione, it’s written all over your face. Was it your boyfriend, the Ministry guy?”


At Ginny’s words Hermione’s face fell. “We broke up. He- He said that he wanted me to be dumb!”


Ginny growled. “Sexist pig!” she muttered, and Hermione laughed sadly. “That’s what I said.”


They sat in silence for a moment, before Ginny spoke again.
“How are you?”


Hermione frowned, then sighed. “Well, I’m sad, and angry, and I’m happy at the same time. It’s like a great weight has been lifted from me, and I’m myself again!”


To let you blame it on me
And set your guilt free
I don’t want to hold you back now love



Hermione walked into the Ministry, fighting the urge to run out of there, and never return. But she knew she had to face her fears eventually.


She walked towards her office, slowly but with confidence. There it was on the door. “Elf Welfare Office”. It was not the best place to be working, but Hermione felt happy there, helping the house elves. But now she loathed it, because her office was right next to the Goblin Liaison Office. Where John worked, and he was walking towards her.


She could still hear his taunts in her head, that it was her fault they broke up, that it was all her fault.


“Hello, Hermione,” he said smoothly.


I can’t change who I am…
Not this time, I won’t lie to keep you near me
And in this short life,
There’s no time to waste on giving up
My love wasn’t enough!



Hermione stared, before replying timidly. “Hello- Hello John,” she said, and he smirked.
“Now, I have a proposition for you. We could get back together- if you begin to act dumber, and don’t argue with me. How about it, Hermione?”


Hermione’s mouth dropped open. “You jerk! You can’t just ask me to change to suit you! How do I know you won’t just cheat on me again? You are the most sexist, most pathetic man I have ever met!” She paused for a moment to savor the look of disbelief on his face as she pulled out her wand and steadily pointed it at him.


“I’m not afraid to curse you! You deceived me, you vulgar, thoughtless, argumentative, self-centered git! You cheated on me! Yeah, everyone listen. John Edwards cheated on me with a dumb, brainless bimbo! And he did it because he didn’t like having a girlfriend who was smarter than him!”


Several other employee’s had stopped to listen, and they gasped at her words, outraged. Hermione fought down tears, knowing it would only be a sign of weakness to him.


John had gone red with a mixture of rage and embarrassment. “You can’t say those things about me…You love me!”


Hermione smiled coldly at him, wiping her eye. “Correction. Did love you. Goodbye John,” she exclaimed, before walking away from him, a smile on her face.


And you can blame it on me
Just set your guilt free, honey
I don’t want to hold you back now love.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=61782