The Epilogue by Sparkling Star
Summary: What happened after Hogwarts for Melody Chancelle...
Categories: Various Pairings Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 20874 Read: 50031 Published: 01/02/07 Updated: 06/18/07

1. Whispers of the Past by Sparkling Star

2. Recognizing Devotion by Sparkling Star

3. Whimpering by Sparkling Star

4. Walking Through Memory by Sparkling Star

5. Protecting Infancy by Sparkling Star

6. Name Dropping by Sparkling Star

7. Furlough by Sparkling Star

8. Presence by Sparkling Star

9. Flash Forward by Sparkling Star

10. Glowing by Sparkling Star

11. Arrivals by Sparkling Star

12. Quicksilver by Sparkling Star

13. August Fools by Sparkling Star

14. Friendly Fire by Sparkling Star

15. Recollections by Sparkling Star

16. Another Cycle by Sparkling Star

Whispers of the Past by Sparkling Star
An explosion of anger and agony began the reenactment as the image of Dumbledore’s body lifeless on floor erupted. A sharp laugh pressed her against the wall as she fought desperately to reach him. Then, the most terrible, piercing eyes bore into hers as she fought to maintain her devilish appearance. The false words pouring from her mouth lingered in the air between them as she lowered herself to the ground beside Harry. One more mental image of Voldemort’s horrendous features and then there was darkness.


Melody Chancelle was awake.

Five years and the sight of Voldemort’s face moments before his death still haunted her dreams. Voldemort was dead, completely and finally, but somehow the fear he once instilled floated on the tension in the air. The paranoia was unfounded. Every last follower was put away, every one except Draco Malfoy who for the last five years had existed only in whispers.

Life had slowly moved on from Voldemort’s Reich.

Melody had tried desperately to detach herself from the memory of him, but it managed to follow her around constantly through her small band of fans and the students in her classes that recounted the tale inaccurately to one another.

The reporters started hovering the day after she left Hogwarts. They had followed her to the Swiss Alps where she studied defensive magic and right back to Hogwarts when she took the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

That is where she was that night “ shaken awake by the old nightmare “ in her teacher’s suite. Her elbows shook below her as she held herself up. She was slightly reassured as a familiar hand fell into the small of her back. Olton’s handsome black hair that had once attracted Melody to him now pushed her out of their bed and into a pair of sweats and running shoes.

The single most reason Melody enjoyed Olton Chevelle’s company so much was that he was nothing like Harry, but the black hair was too much. She needed to clear her mind…again.

These dawn runs always reassured her that she wasn’t headed down the path she tracked with Harry. Olton was no hero. No matter how troubled Melody was, he wasn’t coming after her like Harry would. Olton preferred to stay emotionally detached. Their relationship was not headed anywhere and that is exactly how Melody liked it.

Her life had never quite fallen back together after school. Her days were filled with the same old internal conflicts. Today, however, held even more opportunity for trouble as she would come face to face with her biggest disappointment upon arriving at the Burrow for Ron and Hermione’s wedding.

Six years after getting their act together and those two were finally getting married. Melody knew it would come. She had found time to practice avoiding Harry at other Weasley celebrations, but still, she had a bad feeling about this time.

The beat of her steps intensified as she thought about her eminent encounter with Harry. For anyone else, she would have refused to even show up, but this was Hermione. They had almost become sisters in the last couple of years as Hermione now lived in Hogsmeade. She had set up an extensive library as part of her career as head of the research department for the Ministry. Each night Melody escaped from the castle to meet her for a drink in the Three Broomsticks.

Melody was to be her maid of honor no matter how much she dreaded seeing Harry again, so when she had made it back to her living suite, she flicked her wand and her bags were instantly packed. She clarified to Olton when to arrive for the wedding and with a spin disappeared into the morning.



The Burrow looked as crookedly perfect as ever. Being at the Burrow was the absolute best feeling in the world, as Melody had learned through her summers there, but this particular visit threatened the opposite.

Less then three feet from the front door, Melody stood completely frozen. The instant she turned the knob, she ran the chance of coming face to face with the past she had run away from, unprotected by the assurance that she beat him there. She fought with herself to jump in, but nothing comforted her. Actually, she backed away from the door quite a ways.

She was nearly off the porch when Hermione burst out the door behind a chaos of white roses.

“Mel, are you going to come in and help me or just keep dancing, or whatever you are doing, out here?” she squeaked, “What are you doing?”

“Nothing…I thought I forgot my shoes for tomorrow.”

“He’s not going to be here until tonight,” Hermione said, knowingly.

Melody heaved a sigh of relief.

“Well, then what are we waiting for? It’s time to make a wedding.”

Melody gathered the flowers in one arm and Hermione in the other. Her luggage trailed after them.

Upon finally entering the house, Melody was smothered by the numerous bodies filling the kitchen. Sitting at the table was the disgustingly married Ginny and Collin Blake. That was the last wedding. Collin worked at the Ministry with Ginny and two months into their dating (and working) relationship, he proposed ensuring that Ginny would be the fourth Weasley married.

Bill has been first with Fleur. Mrs. Weasley had long ago expected a grandchild from them, but it was known in whispers that Fleur refused to sacrifice her figure to children. Every one saw how it broke Bill’s heart but tried to stay out of it.

Charlie, however, was up to two with his wife Gabby. Kevin and Kallista were clinging to their father’s every word as he told them yet another story from his once exciting career. Of course, he had placed himself at an office job now to be with his young family…and all his limbs.

Percy still hadn’t returned, but he had been married, breaking his mother’s heart.

Melody instantly smiled as Fred and George entered the kitchen followed by their howling girlfriends, Winni and Tori. Melody smirked at Fred (or George) and he responded to her obvious question by pointing at the ring finger on his left hand. Those two had been fighting marriage harder than they fought the rules in school.

Then, of course, there was Ron who was no where to be see. Never the confident type, Melody assumed he was off with Harry being told how much he loved Hermione.

With all the life changing landmarks, one would assume Melody had already came across Harry, but she had carefully ensured against it. By this time she had mastered such moves as disappearing from the Burrow just before he arrived and separating herself from him at every wedding and birthday.

Relieved to enjoy the Weasleys’ company without the burden of eluding Harry, she happily stole a seat next to Ginny who reluctantly tore herself away from Collin.
Recognizing Devotion by Sparkling Star
Amid the racing children and know-it-all Weasley siblings, Melody and Hermione managed to prepare the garden for a wedding over the course of a day.

Just as night was falling, Ginny joined them in admiring their work.

“It looks great, girls. Why don’t we go out and celebrate?”

Melody was immediately on board.

“It’ll be your last chance, Mione,” she encouraged.

The apprehension on Hermione’s face answered for her, but Ginny looped with one arm, cueing Melody to grab the other.

“You won’t regret it,” they said together.

After another short session of prodding, Hermione gave in. She and Ginny disappeared into the house to grab purses while Melody perfected the runner she customized for Ron and Hermione.

She was stepping back to admire her work when a familiar chill consumed her spine. There was no need to turn around when she was well aware that Harry was behind her. She took a deep breath and tried to pretend she was unaware.

“Melody,” she heard his voice pull out, “We both know that’s not working. Ignorance only goes so far.”

Melody offered no response. She simply brushed past him and closed the kitchen door behind her. Falling against the oak, she tried to calm the pounding in her chest. The world was suddenly suffocating as she covered her eyes with her tingling hands.

To her horror, when she removed them, the entire Weasley clan was staring at her including Hermione who was right in front of her.

“I see you noticed that Harry’s arrived.”


In the hustle of a popular pub in London, Hermione, Ginny and Melody sat surrounded by various bottles. Hermione in the center had long lost count of her intake. She was telling just about everyone how much she loved them when Melody caught sight of a face she really hadn’t wanted to see that night.

Olton was casually weaving though the crowd with one of his grotesque buddies. Melody thought she was fortunate enough that he hadn’t seen her, but she thought too soon.

“Mel!” he called over the crowd.

Not prepared for an explanation, Melody abandoned Hermione and Ginny to intercept the inevitable self-introduction Olton was probably planning.

“I’m surprised you saw me among all these people,” Melody laughed, secretly wishing he hadn’t.

“I have a knack for finding the most gorgeous girl in the room,” he smiled, leaning down for a kiss.

Melody stopped him with her hand to his lips.

“No, my friends are watching.”

Looking over her shoulder, Olton recognized Hermione and Ginny from the various pictures in Melody’s suite.

“Just Hemione. She must already know about me,” he said as he closed in once again.

“Not exactly,” Melody replied blocking another kiss.

“What? You talk about her all the time and for the last year, I never came up?”

“It never seemed necessary. I thought we agreed this wasn’t going to get serious,” Melody said, staring deeply into his eyes.

“I suppose you’re right,” he replied swiftly, “But its time I at least introduced myself, seeing as I’ll be at her wedding.”

He ignored Melody’s final objections and slipped past her toward the table of spectators.

“Hello, I’m Olton Chevelle, Melody’s boyfriend,” he beamed to the girls.

Their response was less than warm as Ginny’s face went completely rigid and Hermione’s jaw dumbly dropped. As Melody approached the table, she tried to remedy the situation.

“Olton teaches at the school “ potions.”

Ginny, being far more competent that Hermione, carried out the rest of the necessary motions before Olton was lost to the crowd.

Hermione allowed only a second to pass before exploding.

“Boyfriend, Mel?! How did that slip your mind ALL day?”

“Its nothing serious,” Melody said over her emptied glass.

“He’s the guest you are bringing tomorrow?”

Melody nodded. While silent, the other girls managed to make their concerns known by the expressions on their faces. What Melody expected to be anger from not being informed of him actually turned out to be worry. Ginny and Hermione looked at one another quickly before each finishing off their full drinks.


“Ginny,” Hermione began, completely inebriated, “you’re brother is the best friend I’ve ever had. No matter how many times I yelled at him, he never gave up on me. That’s why I love him. That’s why I’m marrying him.”

“We know,” Ginny responded to the speech for the third time.

Melody couldn’t help but laugh when Hermione started the same speech again only to be cut off by Ginny yelling for three waters.

After the waiter had left, Melody and Ginny were surprised how Hermione started her next Ron speech.

“We won’t always be so in love,” she slurred, “I mean, as much as we love each other now, the fire will go out. Ron isn’t the romantic type, so there can’t be too much to look forward to.”

“What are you talking about?” Melody comforted, “You and Ron are perfect for each other. You are best friends. What are you comparing that to?”

“You and Harry,” she replied simply.

The words were like fog around them. Completely gone, Hermione couldn’t recognize their severity.

“Ron and I will never be as passionate about each other as you and Harry are.”

Melody considered refuting the drunken bride, but instead rose from her seat and placed two Galleons on the table.

“Good night girls,” she snapped.


She didn’t go straight to the Burrow for a couple reasons. One being that she refused to see Harry after that comment and two being that she needed come time alone to clear her mind. This need brought her to a small cliff only a short walk from the Burrow.

The summer after graduation, Melody had almost lived here with Hermione talking about life and the coming years. It was the only place where she felt completely detached from the world closing in around her.

As much as she hated what Hermione said, what she hated more was how right she was. Part of the reason Melody had been running from relationships since Harry was the fact that she was certain she would never find anything close to it. She had always been scared, overwhelmed. Harry had brought something so full and passionate to her table that she didn’t even understand how to deal with it.

Harry was her weakness, but no matter how right they were for one another, Melody wasn’t going to let herself get hurt. Harry would always love Harry more than anything else, and Melody knew she couldn’t live as second best.

A light wind dancing on her arms reassured her that she just had to make it to the following night when she would return to Hogwarts. She only had to survive twenty four hours with Harry without giving into her temptation and she could be free of him again.

She was about to Disapparate straight to her bed at the Burrow when that old chill struck her again.

“How did you find me?” she asked sharply over her shoulder.

“Ginny,” Harry replied taking a step forward.

Melody turned to stop his advancement, but was, for a moment, distracted by Harry’s attractive features. Auror training had been good for him. The roundness in his arms begged Melody to jump into them and even in the darkness, his green eyes drilled into Melody’s heart. His black mop was still a mess, but it was a comfortable mess that Melody suddenly missed a great deal.

As much as she wanted to give up right there, Melody forced herself to turn and leave.
Whimpering by Sparkling Star
Melody woke the next morning to the comfort of a Burrow morning in fast forward. The house was in an uproar. Where she might have casually dressed, she was not afforded the luxury as Hermione was bouncing around her in a terrible fit. Therefore, she headed down for breakfast in nothing more than a small tank top and pajama pants. As she took her seat, the great breakfast offered her was pushed aside to make room for a sketch of the backyard. Hermione was running her through the ceremony for the third time when Harry took the seat across from her.

“What’s he doing here?” Melody exclaimed, pulling an unfolded napkin from the table to cover her revealing attire.

“Calm down,” he said from across the table, before moving his head closer to hers in a whisper, “It’s nothing I haven’t already seen.”

Melody lost all sympathy for the nervous bride as she cast Hermione aside.

“I see you still don’t have any discretion,” she snapped as the cupboards started to slap.

“Relax, Melly,” Mrs. Weasley said grasping her arm before turning to Harry, “Mind your mouth, Harry, or she’ll turn you into a toad half way down the aisle this afternoon.”

Harry smiled and returned to his breakfast, but Melody sharply pivoted in Hermione’s direction.

“Did I mention you would be walking down the aisle with Harry?” she asked timidly.

“No you neglected to remember that,” Melody snapped before returning to her room.


Melody subconsciously destroyed something every time she encountered Harry for the rest of the morning. At about eleven thirty Mrs. Weasley suggested her and Ginny leave to get ready and to save what dishes she had left.

Once securely upstairs, Ginny and Melody slipped into their lilac gowns. As Melody was fixing her hair magically, Ginny suddenly spun in her chair to face Melody.

“Hermione was right, you know,” a smaller voice than Ginny’s squeaked out.

The room was silent for a moment before Ginny broke into another thought.

“Did anyone tell you that before it was you and Harry, it was supposed to be me and Harry? Don’t get me wrong, you can keep all his drama, but for awhile there, it would have been me slapping the cupboards this morning. I was always waiting for the day when he would finally realize that he loved me. But after I got accustomed to the way he looked at you and the way he smiled when he talked about you, I realized that there was only one girl for Harry Potter, and it wasn’t me. Melody, you have to trust me when I say that I have never seen anything close to what Harry feels for you and you must feel for him.”

With her small speech through, she left the room to find the monstrous bride. Melody was still settling into the thought of Harry looking at her the way he used to. All she could think about was that moment many Christmases ago when Harry took her in his arms for the first time.

She was still lost in memories when Ginny returned to collect her for the ceremony.


Melody had never held such a fixed stare as she did moments before taking Harry’s arm. She stared as he admired the people and scenery of the garden as the wedding began. That same pull from within her was pushing her to say something, but she remained silent as she looped her arm with his to begin the procession.


The ceremony past and Ron and Hermione successfully joined, the celebration moved into the reception and the speeches that went along with it.

Melody rose from her seat and raised her glass to her best friends.

“Ron and Hermione are something untouchable. From the stories I have heard, I can tell this has been a long time coming. As much as I didn’t like the idea of them dating in the beginning, I must say that I have never been more excited for a couple to begin their life together. To Ron and Hermione “ the eternal example.”

With that, glasses sounded and Harry rose to do his best man duty.

“Up against five brothers, I was a little surprised when Ron chose me as the best man, but I think we all agree it was for the best,” he joked, “But seriously, Melody was right. Ron and Hermione were meant to be together. They are one of those couples that everyone knows will end up together, even if they don’t know it themselves.”

Harry looked at Melody, guiding his small audience to do the same.

“Ron and Hermione have been lucky,” he continued, “They have realized this and found each other. If only we all can be so fortunate.”

Melody had never been as embarrassed as when the audience bore into her with their stares. She couldn’t take it. As Ron was nervously rising to speak, Melody stood and escaped into the Burrow away from the party.

Her solitude was short lived as Harry entered the kitchen behind her. He opened his mouth to say something, but Melody didn’t allow him the privilege.

“How could you embarrass me like that? All those people “ all our friends “ know that we have a history. Why would you say those things knowing that? I can’t believe I thought you were at all different! Five years and your ego has only grown. You are the only person imaginable that would use a congratulatory speech for your best friend to get a girl.”

“No,” he said sharply coming closer, “I used it to get the only girl.”

Melody tried to walk away, but he had already managed to get a grip on her arm.

“Stop running away, Mel. You know you’re not mad at me. You never were. You’re just scared.”

“Scared, Harry?” she said, tearing her arm away, “What do you know about me?! It has been five years since I have even talked to you for this long. I’ve tried so hard to forget about you, and seeing you again is just bringing back all the bad memories.”

“Those bad memories are five years old. We’re different people now, and this is my last chance to make things right. I truly love you, Mel, and I don’t want to walk away from this weekend knowing you still don’t believe that.”

“You’re right. We are different people. How do you even know you still love me?”

“Seeing you standing in the garden yesterday, completely innocent, I knew you were still my Melody; the one that ran away five years ago. I haven’t forgiven myself for letting you doubt me. I didn’t black out that night because I didn’t love you. I blacked out because right before I killed him, Voldemort hit me with a particularly strong curse. Mel, you could have given me all the strength in the world and I would have blacked out. I just wish I would have known in time to tell you before you ran off.”

Melody was speechless. Every dark feeling she felt towards Harry was dissolving and she was again finding the love for him she had tried to hide.

“I have always loved you, Mel,” Harry said, cautiously grazing her elbow, “Since the first moment I saw you.”

His old vulnerability was back. Melody recognized it in a second as his eyes softened and he let her fall into the chair below her. He melted to his knees and pleadingly gathered her hands in his own.

“Please, Mel, listen to me.”

Melody carefully took in each word her had said and each breath that sporadically escaped him. There was no reason to run anymore. He was kneeling before her offering her the world, and still she felt a heaviness holding her back.

With each second she was silent, Melody watched as Harry crumbled within himself. This dejection was heart breaking. For the first time, Harry’s eyes filled with tears as he gazed into Melody’s.

“We were meant to be together,” he said fighting the shine in his eyes, “It has killed me every day to know that you didn’t see that.”

Melody took only another second of hesitation.

“I know, Harry.”

She left her chair as she wrapped her arms around his neck. All the fear and seclusion escaped Melody as Harry’s arms circled her. It was like two opposite ends of a magnet coming together with all the forces of attraction. She clung desperately to him as he lifted her to her feet.

When she managed to loosen her grip, she took his face in her hands and brought it down to hers. Pressing her lips to his, Melody kissed him with a passion reminiscent of their past reconciliations.

Once they finally pulled away, Harry wiped away the remnants of tears across his face.

“Looks like you still manage to make me a whimpering baby,” he laughed.

Melody only nodded before pulling him in for another kiss.
Walking Through Memory by Sparkling Star
Melody and Harry tried to reenter the party as casually as possible, but leaving in a huff always requires an explanations. Today was not the day to steal the spotlight, so Melody made up minor emergencies that would force her to run from the room.

When Hermione herself approached Melody about the incident, however, it wasn’t as simple to brush her off. Hermione wasn’t going to be fooled into thinking that Melody’s contact was suddenly enflamed. She tried to prod Melody for an explanation, but to no avail. It was Hermione’s wedding day, so there was no need for everyone to worry about Melody.

Melody was just sitting down to have a moment to herself when Ginny crossed the garden in search of her.

“Don’t even ask, Ginny. I’m not telling.”

Ginny looked at her for a moment, but ignored the questions brewing in her head.

“Well, that’s great, but I came over to tell you Olton is over by Ron. You might want to introduce him around before he does it himself.”

Melody was immediately on her feet making her way through the crowd toward him. He was getting dangerously close to Harry, but she stepped in just as Harry was turning around to acknowledge the stranger in the mass of Weasleys.

“Olton!” Melody smiled guiding him to the other end of the party.

“I’ve noticed that you are very forgetful when it comes to mentioning little details like your boyfriend,” he smirked as he moved in for a kiss.

Melody could feel Harry’s eyes hot on her neck, so she slapped Olton just to keep him away.

“What was that?!” he exclaimed.

“The reason I haven’t told anyone about you is because obviously I don’t want them to know about you.”

Olton was quiet, but Melody could tell that this wasn’t really phasing him.

“Oh. So this is over?”

Melody nodded, and he simply turned and found the arm of one of Ginny’s friends. Melody rejoiced in the easiest detachment of her life and enthusiastically returned to the party. For a moment she caught Harry’s confused eye, but with a smile reassured him of an explanation later.

Hermione, on the other hand, wanted answers now. She captured Melody among the guests seconds after Olton disappeared with his new gal pal.

“First you run out on my reception and now you just dismiss your surprise boyfriend. What is going on, Mel?”

“Nothing to be worried about today.”

Melody coyly disappeared into the crowd.


As the music filled the night air around the dance, Melody and Harry decided to take the party’s distraction as a chance to escape together. They met on the other side of the tall fence of the garden.

Harry’s hand slipped around her waist in the most natural motion imaginable. Melody fit just right into his arms like she always had. As they fell into step, they were washed back into the good memories that had escaped Melody in the last five years.

In a few hours, Melody would need to return to Hogwarts, but for now it was Harry and Melody again, getting lost in one another.

“So, how is this going to work?” Harry asked out of the blue as they past a small farmhouse.

Melody looped her second arm around his waist forcing him to stop in her embrace.

“Term is almost over. When the summer comes, I’ll have all the time in the world.”

Harry seemed to contemplate this for a moment as he slid his arm over the line of her shoulders.

“Well currently I am homeless with Hermione taking my place in the flat with Ron, so I suppose I’ll be living at the Burrow for awhile.”

“Just stay there,” Melody said resting her head in the crook of Harry’s arm, “That is where I stay through the summer break.”

“I know,” Harry said simply.

“Then what’s the question?” Melody laughed.

“Term won’t be over for another month. That’s too long to be away again.”

Melody smiled to herself, “Harry, you can visit me. It’ll work out.”

“You’re right,” Harry said stopping in his steps again to kiss Melody on her forehead.

They continued on their walk down memory lane only to come face to face with the most beautiful house Melody has ever seen. It was completely on its own, made of solid, brown brick. It had white framed windows that made Melody think of every happy home she had ever seen. It was surrounded by the most perfect family of trees and wildflowers. The sight of it almost brought tears to Melody’s eyes.

“It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen,” she said quietly.

Harry agreed, but his attention had long since moved from the house to Melody’s reaction to it.


After Melody pulled herself away from the house, the couple decided to make their way back to the party. They were a little unnerved as they approached the eerily quiet garden. In an attempt to avoid an obvious entrance together, they decided to round the house and come in from the Burrow.

Harry laced his fingers with Melody’s and led her through the thick grass off to the side of the house. When Melody tripped on an unexplained root, Harry was instantly there catching her. As she landed in his strong arms, she felt weightless. She didn’t even notice at first that Harry had gathered her in his arms. He carried her over the remainder of the grass.

When they reached the front yard of the house, he placed her on her feet but left an arm on the ridge of her back and pulled her in for a deep embrace.

“I see you two have made nice,” Fred called from the porch.

As Harry and Melody turned to face the music, they were surprised to see the entire Weasley symphony. Hermione stood in the center of them with her arms crossed over her white gown and a cocky grin on her face.

Knowing the jig was up, Melody buried her face in Harry’s chest. He laughed a little but leaned down so that his mouth was inches from her ear.

“We’re terrible with secrets.”
Protecting Infancy by Sparkling Star
*End of Summer*

The summer had been brief, lighter than a whisper. Melody wanted to cling to every last perfect sunset and each twilight walk, but the school year was fast approaching. She would have to move back into her suite at the school the next day. Packing up the few things she had brought from her suite to the Burrow, Melody tried to ignore Harry who was hovering over her.

“Come on, Mel, stop packing and enjoy your last day with me,” he pleaded as he moved up close behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I tried to do this yesterday, but someone kept throwing my trunk off the bed,” she replied, setting down the last of her textbooks and placing her arms over Harry’s.

From underneath her, she felt his arms moving for the trunk again, but she spun quickly and laid her body over the half-packed luggage. It seemed like a good idea to keep Harry from interrupting her by throwing it again, but instead he locked an arm on either side of her waist. His hands became buried in her layers of clothes as he pressed his body against hers and kissed her.

“Oh, alright,” Melody said letting him remove the trunk from underneath her.


That night, Mrs. Weasley prepared a huge meal to send off all of her children that had gathered at the Burrow in the last few days. Ginny was there with Collin and Ron and Hermione sat across from them as Mrs. Weasley placed a large bowl of boiled potatoes in front of Melody.

“All packed, dear,” Molly asked her as Arthur took a seat beside Harry.

Melody nodded despite the piles of references she still had sitting about the room she had secretly shared with Harry for the summer.

The group tore into the wonderful food in front of them and laughed and enjoyed yet another pleasant evening at the Burrow. Just as Molly was pulling out a divine looking cake, Ginny decided to stand and make an announcement.

“Mom, Dad, and everyone else “ I’m pregnant.”

Everyone was completely thrown for a loop, but the silence that caught the group only lasted for a second as Mrs. Weasley burst into hysterics, nearly dropping her cake.

A million words came out of her mouth as she latched on to her only daughter and wept. Mr. Weasley rose steadily from his chair and crossed to Collin. They exchanged the general congratulatory handshake and it was done. They both returned to their seats and watched as Molly spun a very overwhelmed Ginny in circles.


Out in the garden after the sun was completely gone, Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Melody lounged looking up at the night sky.

“I can’t believe Ginny is actually having a baby,” Ron said, breaking the long lived silence.

“What’s so hard to believe?” Hermione asked.

“That my little sister is going to be a mum.”

“Do you think she’s too young?” Melody asked, slipping in closer to Harry.

“No,” Ron replied immediately, “Mum already had Bill and Charlie by the time she was Ginny’s age.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Nothing. I can’t wait to have kids,” Ron said putting his around Hermione.

“You’re going to have to,” she snapped back, “I am too far into the research library right now to think about kids.”

“Always with the bloody research library, Hermione! What’s more important to you, me or it?!” Ron said, sharply removing his arm.

Harry and Melody sensed a good old Ron versus Hermione argument coming on, so they stole the opportunity to head out on one of their long walks.

As soon as the sound of Ron and Hermione yelling faded away, Harry acknowledged an immediate problem of their own.

“I have some good news,” he began slowly, “There have been sightings of Draco Malfoy, and Gryson thinks he has secured a spy into his inner circle to track him. We’ll be able to catch him.”

“That’s great!” Melody said grasping his hand.

“Yeah, but it also means that I am going to have to stick pretty close to the Ministry to be available at all times.”

“Oh,” Melody replied timidly.

She was thrilled to hear that Draco was going to be put behind bars where he should be, but a selfish monster inside of her hated to think about all the time lost with Harry.

“How is this going to work, Mel, with you at the school and me stuck in town?”

Melody had no idea, but she confidently gave him an option.

“You can visit me every chance you get. I used to see Hermione in Hogsmeade every night.”

“Why can’t you just live in town with me and Disapparate to Hogsmeade every morning for classes?” he asked, obviously not pleased with Melody’s plan.

“You know they don’t let teachers do that unless they’re married. I told you that.”

Harry was quiet for a long stretch of their walk before stopping Melody in her tracks. He placed a hand on either one of her elbows and held her very still.

“Then why don’t we get married?” he asked.

His face was glowing over his great idea, but Melody was far more cautious. As happy as they were right now, they had only been reunited for a short time. Everything was still very new again and Melody didn’t feel right jumping into something as serious as marriage when they had such a shaky history.

“Oh, Harry,” she began, “You know that wouldn’t be a good idea “ not now at least. I’ll come see you every night in town if I must, but I can’t marry you yet.”

“We’re adults now, Mel,” he replied, “We both know we are going to get married eventually, so why don’t we just do it now so that we can have this whole mess settled.”

“I’m sorry, Harry “ not yet.”

Melody could tell that this conversation just might have ruined his summer. As much as she hated to leave him the next morning, she had to, no matter how important it was that she was with him at that very moment.
Name Dropping by Sparkling Star
Her room felt cold as she moved around it replacing all her items to their old home. Everything that was once her life seemed unfamiliar now. In a few days, she would have to return to teaching her students and handing out homework. Hogwarts just felt strange.


The first day of classes arrived and Melody followed her usual routine of breakfast alone in her suite before heading to her classroom. First on the schedule for the day were Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw first years.

The first years were always a fun bunch on the first day. They were easily wowed by the simplest magic tricks and even more amazed that they were being taught by the famous Melody Chancelle that had once aided in the downfall of Voldemort.

But to be honest, she didn’t feel at all amazing knowing that Harry was somewhere convinced that she never wanted to marry him. Nevertheless, as she walked into the classroom and performed her annual patronus for the kids, she wore her classic smile.

“Good morning, first years,” she said sweetly over the vocalization, “I’m going to be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. You may call me Professor Chancelle.”

Those that had still been beaming over the now fading patronus turned their gawking towards her. Instantly, the room was filled with curious hands waving in the air.

“To answer the question I know you are all wondering “ yes, I am Melody Chancelle, and yes, I did help Harry Potter kill Voldemort.”

All of the hands but one fell as they continued to stare at her. Melody called on the one remaining hand attached to a small girl with wavy brown hair and eyes to match.

“What is that thing?” she asked simply pointing at the place the remains of the patronus hovered.

“That is a patronus. It is very advanced magic that is used to guard off dementors.”

Another feeble hand moved into the air. The very nervous looking red haired boy looked almost like a young Ron as he asked if they would be expected to do that on the first day.

“Heavens no! I don’t even expect most of you to master those before your graduate.”

The class fell into their seats relieved.


The first week past quickly, and Melody looked forward to the arrival of Celeste on Friday afternoon. Celeste had ended up pursuing the one thing she was good at “ looking pretty “ and now modeled dress robes all over the world, but she had remained one of Melody’s closest friends.

“Melody! Oh ‘ow I ‘ave missed you!” she called as Melody met her outside on the castle steps.

They embraced and Melody looped an arm with Celeste’s to lead her up to her suite. For many hours, her bags lay packed as they two filled each other in on their lives.

“Well, Milan was fun zis spring, but I must say, the wizards zere are by far my favorite.”

Melody laughed as Celeste told of her adventure with the Italians, but each story only made her think of Harry who she had called only an hour ago to cancel their date that weekend. His voice had seemed tense and heavy on the line.

Celeste noticed the distraction in Melody’s eyes and turned the tables on her and asked how things were with her.

She knew she shouldn’t tell anyone about Harry’s proposal quite yet, but something burst inside Melody as Celeste gazed intently upon her.

“Harry wants to marry me!” she nearly shouted through the tension.

Celeste’s mouth dropped clear from her face before she could manage to smile at Melody.

“Zat iz fantastic! When are you getting married?”

Melody paused at the image of her wedding, but she tore herself from the sweet illusions and let reality take its turn.

“I said no.”

Celeste manages a gentle ‘oh,’ but it was clear she was displeased with the news.

“It’s too soon. I’m right to think that we aren’t yet stable enough, right?”

“What do I know?” Celeste replied tenderly, “You are the one that has been in love with him since day one.”

Her words sat heavily with Melody as she moved to bring Celeste’s things over to her bed.


The weekend passed quickly and Celeste soon boarded a train to lead her to another exciting place. Melody was left alone with her problems and about a million essays on various defensive spells to grade.

As she was leafing through the paperwork at her desk one afternoon, she was alarmed to find Harry standing in the doorway of her classroom. Rising from her desk, she tried to read his face as she moved towards him. His expression was lifeless giving Melody cause for concern.

“Is everything alright, Harry?”

“It will be,” he replied as he pulled Melody into his arms.

For a moment, Melody enjoyed the way her body fit perfectly with his, but was quickly drawn back to the trouble in his voice. She attempted to form a question, but Harry answered it before she managed a thought.

“They found an elderly couple murdered up north,” he said intensely, “We think it’s the work of Malfoy and his followers.”

“Why would he kill them?” Melody asked pulling away so she could look Harry in the eyes.

Harry’s head fell as he replied, “That’s the sad part. He used them as target practice for himself and those other monsters.”

Melody hand immediately flew to her mouth. Never had she imagined such intentional cruelty from one of her old classmates. Killing for the sake of killing was something that even Voldemort had never done. Malfoy had killed without purpose, without reason, and that was scarier than any amount of people murdered to help the Dark Lord.

“What’s being done?” Melody finally whispered.

“Half the force is being sent out there to screen the area and question and get some answers.”

Melody knew where this was ultimately headed. Harry would be leaving her. She placed a hand on his cheek as she searched for confirmation in his raging green eyes.

“I leave tonight.”

Melody only nodded before Harry gathered her in his arms and kissed her goodbye. He turned and walked out, leaving Melody in a kaleidoscope of emotions. She survived a moment of shock before darting out into the hallway after Harry.

She yelled out to him just before he turned the corner and ran to catch up to him. When she reached him, she captured him in her arms and let her tears run freely onto his Auror uniform.

“Be careful, Harry,” she said through the little sobs, “I need you to come back and marry me.”

Harry’s grip on her tightened as she clung to him, but time was fading and he had to go. Melody watched as he disappeared down another hallway.


Melody sifted through papers the next morning to keep her mind of Harry’s mission, but nothing could tear the image of Malfoy standing over Dumbledore’s body from her mind. She had dreamed the night before that she had fallen upon that same scene but came to find Harry on the floor at Malfoy’s feet. It had forced her awake all night.

As her remaining first years filled the room, she began to raise her wand for another Patronus, but a sudden excitement at the door caused her to stop. Before she realized what was happening, her first years were gathering around the famous visitor to get a better look.

Harry fought through the anxious 11 year olds and made his way to Melody. She stood there dumbfounded as he simple placed himself on one knee before her. From his pocket he conjured a small glass case that Melody saw contained a shining ring.

“Before you say anything and before I leave, here is the ring and here is the promise. The only thing that can insure my safe return is knowing that you are here waiting for me. If you say yes, I swear to you I will be back by Christmas.”

Melody couldn’t have imagined it any more perfect. As he rose to his feet, she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Come back in a hundred years, and I’ll be waiting for you.”

Harry beamed down at her before locking her in a fervent kiss. The noises of the eager classroom faded until a sharp cough came from the back of the room.

“Why don’t you enjoy your news in private, Professor,” McGonogall called from the doorway, “I’ll take over in here.”

Melody and Harry burst into the hallway full of new energy, but it faded as the old clock’s chiming filled the castle.

“I’ve stalled too long already. I really have to go,” Harry said, letting go of her.

Again Melody answered him with a silent nod and watched as her future husband and hero walked off to save the world…again.
Furlough by Sparkling Star
Three Months Later

Night had long since fallen, but Kevin and Kallista were enthusiastically hovering over the gifts holding their names underneath the Weasley Christmas tree. Gabby had just risen from her seat to send them off to bed when Melody joined the group.

It had been three months “ long months. She had awaited the Ministry Report everyday to tell her where Harry might be, for he had, for the duration, been unable to write or contact her. She relied on the newsletter issued to family of Aurors and ministry employees for every ounce of information on his whereabouts. All she had to hope for was that he would keep his promise and be home by Christmas.

But it was already Christmas Eve and well into night. Melody’s hopes of his return had faded with each hour. She tenderly fell into a seat beside Ron who wrapped his available arm around her shoulder.

“He’s fine. He’ll be back soon,” he reassured.

Hermione turned under Ron’s other arm to face Melody and nod in agreement.

“You two are lucky. Ron didn’t have to go,” Melody said, slipping out from under Ron’s arm.

“Oh yeah,” Ron smirked, “It’s wonderful that Grayson didn’t think I could handle it. That’s really something to be proud of.”

Hermione affectionately laid her head on his chest to calm him, but he was already gone. He rose from his seat and made for the door. Hermione quickly stood to follow him out into the cold night.

“Merry Christmas,” Melody muttered to herself.

With another glance at the clock, it was 11:55. The remaining Weasleys were finally making their way to bed, but Melody didn’t expect sleep anytime soon. She settled into the deserted couch against a soft pillow and waited for Ron and Hermione to come back in.

When the clock reached one minute shy of midnight, Melody heard a strange noise from outside in the yard. She slowly rose from her lament on the sofa to make her way to the door. Her hand covered the wand awaiting use in her back pocket.

She cautiously placed her hand on the doorknob but allowed her hand to fall away from her wand. In a rush of excitement, she flung the door to the side and saw the sight she’d been longing for.

Harry’s green eyes tore through the night as she threw herself into his arms. He locked her in a bone crushing hug as he staggered up the steps. Placing her against the front door, he leaned in and kissed her so deeply that she felt her legs become weak.

Standing under a porch light, Melody got a better look of her returning hero. Scars and scratches covered his arms. A painful cut on his cheek horrified Melody as she forced him into the house to sit down.

He collapsed in a chair at the table just as Molly, Arthur and the remainder of their clan joined them in the kitchen.

“Harry!” Molly called, seeing the signs of battle on his face.

She hurried over to her unofficial son and ran her fingers over the marks. From her cupboard she pulled a small bottle and demanded that Harry hold out his arm.

Kneeling on the floor before him, Melody examined the wounds on the remaining arm. She muttered a couple words and the flesh instantly healed, but he still looked like he was in pain.

“What happened?” Melody asked cautiously.

“I chased Malfoy into some woods and that coward set some bewitched wolves on me.”

Melody placed a hand on his cheek as she saw the rage flaring in his eyes.

“When? Did you catch him?” Ron asked anxiously, coming from outside.

“Last night, but he got away again,” Harry said, wrapping Melody’s hand in his.

Once Molly had treated all the visible scratches, she began the process of ushering all the spectators back up the stairs. When they were alone, Melody let her head fall into a pile of her arms in his lap.

“I should have had him,” Harry said mostly to himself.

Rising to her feet, Melody pulled a chair and placed it opposite his. She pulled it close in front of his so that her legs filled the areas around his.

“I’m sure you did all that could be done,” she comforted, placing her hands on his neck, “You’ll get him.”

“We’ve lost all sign of him. I’m only back until someone picks up a lead.”

He looked disappointed, but he obviously needed time to recuperate.

“How do you feel?” she asked, pulling up his sleeve to check for any last marks.

Something suddenly changed in Harry as he captured her arm and pulled her into his lap. She immediately tried to stand to avoid irritating any scratches that may still hinder the flesh of his legs, but he only pulled her back.

“Fine, but I know what will make me feel a lot better,” he said slyly before pressing his lips against her neck.

He lifted her from the seat and began to move towards the stairs, but Melody refused to be responsible for any further injury. She jumped from his arms to the floor and instead latched her hand with his and led him up the stairs.

They crept as quietly as possible past the door to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s room, but the instant they reached the desired floor, Harry ignored Melody’s previous objection and elevated her into his arms. Caught in the moment and forgetful of all her prior concerns, Melody unreservedly slipped Harry’s shirt over his head.

As Harry crossed over to the bed, her hands fell upon an obstruction on his back. She tried to pull her head forward to see what it might be, but Harry was bluntly trying to keep her from doing so. He placed her on the side of the bed and slipped her sweater off. His hands were coarse as he placed them on her exposed waist. Melody took one of them in her own soft hands and nearly cried as she thought about what those hands had been through.

Harry saw the distress in her face as she looked down at his hands, and pulled her against his chest. Melody desperately wrapped her arms around his beat up skin and wept for him.

“You shouldn’t have to do these things anymore,” she whispered.

Harry kissed the top of her head.

“I’ve got to finish it for good.”

Melody nodded against his beating heart and lay down as he slipped in beside her.


The next morning, Melody woke with her face against Harry’s back. As her eyes adjusted to the light, she was reminded of the previous night and the abrasion she had felt there. She pulled away to see what it was and nearly fell of the bed when she actually saw it.

On the left side of his back, the other side of where his heart might be, an image had been scratched out in the shape of a snake. Just as she reached out to touch it, his voice meekly broke the silence.

“I blacked out one night when we were trailing him and when I woke up, there it was.”

“Oh, Harry,” Melody said hushed as she wrapped an arm around him and met his hand.
Presence by Sparkling Star
Harry turned on his back, hiding the menacing wound and kissed Melody on the tip of her cheek.

“I’m glad you’re home,” she replied affectionately before adding, “for now.”

Harry found her left hand and held his ring in between them.

“I don’t know when I’ll be going back, but I don’t want to jump up and go the day before our wedding.”

Melody nodded unaware of his direction, but it struck her as he gazed intently upon the ring. Time was precious and the only time they had for certain was the present.

“Before I return to classes,” she replied simply.


The remaining days before the wedding were a sudden blur of excitement and planning for it, so when the day finally came, everything seemed to be moving in slow motion by comparison.

Melody began her day but examining the enchanting atmosphere she had created in the Weasley’s garden under a charmed tent that allowed for a warm outdoor winter wedding. As she stood in the center of the space, she admired all the little things that Harry had worked so hard to get for her.

Most charming was in a little frame on the gift table. It was a picture taken when Harry had joined her, Celeste, and her family in Paris. They stood enthralled with Paris and each other with the Eiffel Tower in the background. Celeste had taken the picture with the intention of keeping herself and Melody’s parents out of it.

Melody took the photo in her hands and watched as a younger version of herself playfully wrapped her arms around Harry’s neck.


“How could you forget that I am pregnant, MELODY?!” Ginny howled, trying to pry her bridesmaid dress on.

“How could any of us?” Hermione whispered to Celeste who had just arrived for the wedding.

Melody crossed to the hectic hormonal mother-to-be and with a tap of her wand, Ginny’s pale pink dress reformed to fit her growing bump.

“Are you nervous, Melly?” Celeste asked, slipping into her own dress.

Melody thought about it for a moment only to realize that she hadn’t even thought of nerves.

“I guess not, Celeste,” she replied, “It’s all happening so fast.”

“Well, you shouldn’t be,” Hermione said crossing the room to stand over Melody’s shoulder, “No matter what you may have thought or even think, Harry is the only one for you.”

Melody nodded and stood from her seat to look at herself in the mirror. Her dress gracefully fell just off her shoulder with small, thin straps. The beaded bodice fit in all the right places and the A-line skirt was just the right length.

She turned to the girls to show them the dress, but they were already lost in emotions. Ginny, of course, was bawling from her imbalanced hormones, but Hermione and Celeste were casually looking away or rubbing their eyes as well.

They were very near a group breakdown when Melody’s father entered the room. The instant his eyes fell on his daughter, it took every muscle in his face to fight off the lurking tears.

“You look beautiful, sweetheart,” he said in almost a whisper.

Melody delicately maneuvered around her skirt and made her way to her dad. She tenderly wrapped her arms around him and cried into his shoulder.

“It’s time,” Hermione said quietly over the moment.


Behind her veil everything was misty, but as she looked down the aisle, Harry, standing at the front, was clear in her view. Ron was beside him with a huge grin slashed across his face and on the other side, Hermione, Ginny, and Celeste beamed at her.

She felt her father’s arm shake with each step, but the instant he placed her hand in Harry’s, his fears seemed to melt away. Just before he moved to take his seat, Melody grabbed his hand and kissed it.

She returned to Harry and he pulled the veil from her face and draped it over her head. For the first time Melody saw the perfect smile playing on his face. They took their spots and for once, actually did something right.



The ceremony progressed without special occurrence, but as they shared their first kiss as a married pair, a soft snow began to fall outside of the tent windows.

After the garden had been transformed into the reception area, Melody and Harry took their seats at a small table in front. As they were eating, Professor McGonogall made her way to them and kissed Melody on the cheek before hugging Harry.

“He longed for this day “ Dumbledore. Nothing would have brought him more joy than to see Harry at peace,” she said, placing a small package and letter on the table between them.

Harry immediately reached for the letter and read it to himself. Melody watched as the expression on his face turned from joy to pain to contentment before her. He handed her the letter and then she cried her final tears of the day as she read:

Harry,

I am certain that my lifetime will not see the day I planned on giving this to you, so I will attempt to explain it on parchment. On this day that you are finally completely happy, I want you to have this gem. It was my mother’s.

We are stricken with dark times, Harry, but I like to think this jewel will always represent hope. As my time with you, I am sure, is fleeting, I want you to take this and remember me by it. I can’t express how much I hope for you to have a normal life someday, but I’m afraid that day may never come.

You are as dear as a son to me, Harry. I only wish I could have gotten to hold you so dear under different circumstances. I will certainly make myself present to you on the day Minerva sees as the happiest of your life. That, you can be most sure of.

Albus Dumbledore

Within the package was a large heart shaped jewel that was half diamond. The remaining half was a strange gem that was black with the sheen of green just under the surface. Bands of silver shot through the stone, connecting the two sides.

Melody watched as Harry rose from his seat and made his way to a large window in the tent. He gazed out at the fresh fallen snow and reached a hand out for Melody to receive. Together they watched as the snow continued to fall on the happiest moment of their lives.
Flash Forward by Sparkling Star
The reception was just taking off when the door to the Burrow burst open and into the garden piled a relatively large group of reporters. Their camera bulbs flashed in every direction as Harry rose to see what was going on. Ron joined him on his feet and looked over the guests to the pushy photographers.

“Bloody hell!” he exclaimed, “Reporters!”

Generally, Melody had lived with a couple reporters following her about town, and Harry had told her that same had gone for him, but apparently it was a huge ordeal that they were married.

The menace closest to the lead table heard Ron and was instantly aware of Melody and Harry’s position in all this mess. With one yell and a flash in that direction, the disturbing party moved up to the head table and began flashing as many pictures as their cameras would allow.

Harry’s initial reaction was defensive and he began casting Sleeping Spells out into the group sending a couple down with each shot. Melody nearly reached for her wand to help him when she remembered that this would only bring more attention to their increasingly chaotic wedding. She tenderly placed a hand on Harry’s wand arm and he stopped.

“Excuse me, pressmen,” Melody said sweetly, “I do believe you have imposed enough and that you should indeed go. If you have further questions contact me at the school tomorrow.”

The reporters tried to object, but Harry conjured an electric orb that influenced them to make their way for the door. Once they were all safely stashed away, Molly appeared from the Burrow with a look of terror on her face. As she approached Harry and Melody the terror softened to exhaustion.

“They said they were old school friends. I didn’t know they were lousy media scum. I’m awfully sorry, dears.”

Harry and Melody brushed it off and fell into their awaiting chairs to finish their meals.


The final transformation of the garden was from the reception space to a dance floor. Once completed, Melody and Harry took their placed for the first dance and smiled at each other as the music started.

They floated around the floor for a long time in silence just enjoying each other’s company, before the inevitable discussion was given up.

“Who ever thought I would be such a big deal?” Melody laughed as she watched Ron knock a reporter out of a tent window, “I mean you had no chance, but I barely did anything and look how they flock to me.”

“Killing Voldemort is barely anything?” Harry asked pulling her in tighter.

“I suppose not.”

“Melody,” Harry began, “I know we never really talked about this, but two of the most powerful and famous modern wizards being married is going to be a big deal. The press is going to follow our lives for a long time, I think.”

Melody nodded, fully aware of their future.

“Sorry, dear, but I’m in it for the long haul,” she joked, “Besides, it was nice to see Dean and Luna again.”


The guests slowly thinned as the day pressed into night. When only the Weasleys and Chancelles remained, Harry and Melody slipped into the house and changed into more comfortable attire. Before returning to the remaining guests, Harry suggested they take a short walk.

They made their way down a common path for a long time hand in hand, occasionally saying something about the wedding, but when they came upon the usual crossroads, Harry pulled Melody in the opposite direction of the Weasley’s.

“Where are we going?” Melody asked looking back at the path.

“Let’s not go back just yet,” Harry replied simply, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

They continued walking for awhile before the sight of sleeping homes reminded Melody of an immediate problem.

“What will happen when I go back to classes tomorrow?”

Harry paused for a moment, but continued walking. Melody began to silently panic. Amidst all the hectic planning for the wedding, she had completely overlooked the minor detail of where they were going to live after. Not understanding how he could be so indifferent, Melody stopped, forcing him to do the same.

“After tonight, I have to go back to my suite and you have to go back to your ministry housing. Do you even have a plan?”

Harry approached her lightly and once again placed his arm around her shoulders.

“Don’t worry.”

With that he ended it and just continued walking. Melody was helpless to follow.

“We need somewhere to live, Mr. Potter,” she snapped.

“We need to enjoy our wedding day, Mrs. Potter,” he replied just as sharply.

Melody anger intensified as she watched the beautiful houses they passed. It hit her particularly hard as they approached the beautiful, brick home with white trim. She paused before the driveway and looked up at the home she had dreamed about. Everything from the frozen willow trees to the detailing on the mailbox made Melody’s heart melt for the house.

“It’s so perfect,” Melody said longingly.

“If it’s so perfect, why don’t we get a better look?” Harry said inching up to the front window.

Melody hissed at him to come back, but he was gone and peeking in the front window.

“Calm down, Melody,” Harry laughed from the window, “Use a Cloaking Spell if you are so scared.”

Melody crept up to him and tugged on his arm.

“Let’s go, Harry! I’m not getting arrested on my wedding day.”

“Just take a little look,” Harry responded pulling her up to the window.

Melody looked into the perfectly furnished dining room with all the slip covered chairs and each place setting perfectly aligned.

“Oh it’s beautiful,” she whispered against the glass.

“It’s yours.”

Melody instantly pulled away from the glass. Harry followed her into the center of the lawn, but they said nothing. Melody peered into his eyes searching for a laugh, something, but he was serious.

“It’s my wedding present to you,” he smiled.

Melody’s chest suddenly tightened as she stared at him. Fighting her urge to run up to the front door, she buried herself in Harry’s arms. He grasped her tightly and then whipped her up into his arms and carried her to the front of the house. The door slid open and he carried her into the entry way with its spiral staircase.

Melody immediately ran to it and hopped up a couple stairs and then back down. She returned to Harry and kissed him before tugging on his arm to explore more of the house.

She quickly peaked in on the dining room she had already admired before ripping across the entry way to the living room. Harry had picked out all the furniture and everything fit just as she had wanted.

Anxiously, she pulled Harry through two French doors that led them out onto a little patio. Beyond that was an immensely large backyard that Melody secretly anticipated their children running about someday.

Making her way back into the house, she opened and shut doors furiously throughout the first floor looking into an office, the bath, and her perfect kitchen. She delicately laced her hand upon the counter top before hopping on top to admire the room from a perch.

Harry placed himself in front of her and she enthusiastically kissed him.

Again, she was off, up the stairs to the second floor. The upper landing revealed two more French doors that alluded to a large balcony. Melody did a little dance in the brisk wind, but the shivers forced her back inside and into their master bedroom. A fireplace was roaring in the corner and the room felt instantly like home.

As she was admiring the bedding, Harry stole her attention to a wall of portraits. Melody crossed to him and endearingly looked upon the photos of their family and friends, but Harry’s true intention was to show her what lie behind them.

“Tap that picture of my mum and dad’s wedding,” he suggested.

Melody did so and instantly the wall faded to reveal and extension to the room that housed all their magical equipment. Particularly obvious spell books and tools filled shelves lining the room, and in the corner was a little bed alongside a little nightstand.

“You can come out Starla, it’s us,” Harry said over the room.

From behind a telescope the littlest house elf Melody had ever seen peaked out. She has a sweet little bow on her head and a pink burlap sack on. She blushed at the sight of Harry and Melody.

“Is there something Starla can get for Mr. Harry Potter?” she squeaked.

Melody giggled over the little thing and patiently introduced herself to the little elf that kept bowing and backing away with shyness.

Finally they made their way back out onto the landing, where Melody noticed for the first time three more doors. The first was nothing more that another bathroom, but the other two led to empty rooms painted in pastels.

“For the kids,” Harry began, “when they come.”

Melody spun around and struck Harry with a fiery kiss. She hated the idea of leaving the house to return to the party and even more, the idea of them returning to work the next day.
Glowing by Sparkling Star
Nearly One Year Later

Melody stepped lightly out into the soft snow. They had just finished spending Christmas Eve with her parents, but again she had failed to eat anything. She and Harry had now been married almost a year, but Melody could find little to celebrate with the frequent nausea she had been feeling.

Harry waved one last time to Melody’s parents as he wrapped an arm around his wife.

“Are you alright?” he asked as he kissed her on the cheek, “Is it your stomach?”

Melody only nodded as they simultaneously spun in a circle to reappear at the Burrow. They were pleasantly welcomed by little Connor, fully bundled, laughing merrily in Ginny’s arms. Kallista and Kevin were dancing about in the snow beyond them and from the porch Mrs. Weasley called out to the newest arrivals.

Harry made his way to the door, but Melody stopped and picked up Connor who had been reaching out for her. As she bounced the baby in her arms, a sudden thought hit her. A combination of seeing baby Connor and the illness she had been discomforted with led her to cautiously imagine that she might be pregnant herself.

So here she was, not even a year married and already there was a solid chance that she was pregnant. She carefully placed Connor back in his mother’s arms and jolted forward to catch up with Harry. Looping her arm with his as they stepped into the kitchen, she kind of hoped that she was right.


The group sat down to a splendid meal together and talked joyfully and ate heartily. The hum of a happy family was the sweetest sound Melody could imagine and in this case, it was a roar.

As the plates emptied and the roar died down, Hermione and Ron rose from their seats. It didn’t take much to alert the Weasley’s to big news anymore, so before she even opened her mouth, it was clear what Hermione intended to say. Therefore, it was no surprise that Fred and George said it for her.

“You’re pregnant!” they chimed in together.

Winni and Tori squealed beside them before latching on to their respective twins and before throwing the still stubborn set evil glares.

Mrs. Weasley threw herself from the table and toward Hermione. She danced around the table for another second before gathering her youngest grandchild in her arms.

“Another cousin for widdy Connor and another grandbaby for me!” she sang.

The family’s joy was obvious, but on one end of the table a sudden tension had struck. Bill was sitting next to Fleur tensely as she barely applauded the thought of another child running around.

“And she ‘ad finally grown into ‘er figure,” Melody heard Fleur say under her breath.

Melody wasn’t the only one as Bill rose from the table and violently exited out into the garden.

“Not zis again,” Fleur said as she rose from the table to follow him.

The family sat in silence as the yelling penetrated the walls. Mrs. Weasley tried to divert the ears to the fact that Connor was now spitting up on her, but it was futile. All thoughts were locked with the dispute going on beyond the door.

It continued for awhile, and ended with Fleur flooding into the room in hysterics and disappearing out the front door only to disappear with a Pop. Bill rigidly returned to the party and aware of their knowledge kept it simple.

“Fleur and I are getting a divorce.”

He again took his seat. Everyone knew that being a Weasley, Bill wanted a family, but Fleur had long ago informed Bill that this would never happen for them.

“Congratulations, Ronny,” he said tightly.


Melody moved in closer to Harry that night in front of their fire. The idea of her being pregnant was still eating away at her, but she didn’t know if or how she should bring it up to Harry.

“I’m so happy for Hermione,” she began simply.

“Hermione?!” Harry laughed, “Ron was glowing more than Hermione!”

They laughed for a bit remembering the stupid grin on Ron’s face.

“I’ve never seen him so excited,” Melody said with a smile.

“Well, it’s an exciting thing, fatherhood.”

“Are you excited to be a father, Harry?” Melody asked, feeling her chance quickly approaching.

He smiled down at her and kissed her forehead.

“Absolutely.”

With one big breath, Melody pulled herself up so that she was facing Harry with a very serious look upon her face.

“I might be pregnant.”

Harry’s jaw dropped as she stared intently upon him.

“What?!”

“We might have a baby of our own on the way,” Melody responded cautiously.

“We might?” Harry asked, hiding a smile, “Come with me.”

He pulled her gently to her feet and guided her into the kitchen. Tapping the last cupboard with his wand, he opened it to reveal their potion supplies.

“If we are going to be parents, we are going to find out right now,” he said pulling a patch of baby’s breath from a small jar of herbs.

He pulled a cauldron from a hidden compartment under the sink and began throwing ingredients into it. His concoction turned a light lavender hue when he had finished it and he poured it into a little glass.

“Okay, drink this and if your stomach glows, we’ll know there is a baby on the way,” he said handing her the potion.

With one sharp drink, Melody downed the potion that actually ended up tasting like sugar and milk. Quickly placing the glass on the counter, she pulled her sweater up to expose her stomach. They anxiously gazed down only to see her plain stomach.

Suddenly Melody realized just how much she had actually wanted a baby. The absence of the glow broke her heart and she could tell Harry was disappointed by the discovery as well.

They silently began to gather the items and put them away in their hidden homes. Melody grabbed the remaining baby’s breath and sadly returned it to its rightful home on a shelf that only magic people could see in the pantry. As she flicked off the light in the small space, she was alarmed to notice a light source coming from her.

She ran back into the kitchen and beckoned Harry to turn off the light. As he did, he yelled out to her.

“Of course, it needs to be dark to see a glow!”

He slapped his forehead stupidly before haphazardly racing to her in the darkness. Ignoring the fact that he slapped his leg against the corner of the counter, she reached Melody and gathered her in his arms. She pressed her lips against his face repeatedly as he muffled the glow by holding her so tightly.


The next morning Melody nervously knocked on the door to Ron and Hermione’s flat. Harry stood beside her, unwilling to let go of her hand. Hermione came to the door, but Ron was only a step behind.

Ushering them into the sitting room, Hermione spoke a mile a minute about the fact that her and Ron were going to be parents.

“There’s so much to do, so many books to read,” she said as she absently summoned a tea kettle from the kitchen.

Ron took a seat on the arm of her chair.

“Some things you can’t learn in a book, Mione,” he said simply.

Harry and Melody barely heard any of the dispute that followed. They were too much anticipating announcing their own happy news to them to pay attention.

When they had each said their piece, the room fell quiet. Hermione and Ron were looking intently at Harry and Melody who were completely ignoring that they were there.

“So,” Hermione began, “Any reason for a visit, or did you just want to stare at each other in a different setting?”

Melody and Harry quickly snapped out of it, and simultaneously announced, “We’re pregnant too!”

Hermione was instantly on her feet, pulling Melody to hers.

“Mel! How exciting!”

Ron crossed to Harry and gave him a paternal nudge before hugging Melody.

“Looks like you two really do have to do everything together,” Hermione laughed to Harry and Ron as she hugged Melody again.


Mrs. Chancelle squealed with delight before Melody even finished telling her the good news. Instantly, the French woman was up from her seat and showering her daughter and son-in-law with kisses. Melody’s father broke through the hysterics to shake Harry’s hand before stealing his daughter long enough to kiss her cheek.

“I must go send owls to all zee relatives!” Her mother exclaimed, running out of the room.

Melody’s father beckoned for Harry to follow him into the study for a game of wizarding chess and Melody was left on her own to find Anna.

Anna was wearily leaning against the kitchen counter when Melody arrived. At the sound of the door, the elderly woman jumped up in false health. She smiled at the sight of Melody, but something in her eyes had died. Where there was once an incredible spark, there was only a happy recognition.

“Guess what, Anna!” Melody said, smiling, despite seeing Anna in such a state.

“What dear?” she responded as she painfully made her way to Melody.

Melody grasped her out stretched hand and covered it in her own.

“I’m pregnant.”

Regardless of the pains of age, Anna looped Melody in her arms heartily. The small spark fell back into her eyes and for a moment, she looked young again.
Arrivals by Sparkling Star
Almost Nine Months Later

Melody forced herself to turn over. It took quite a bit of work with her now huge stomach, but she hadn’t been able to sleep the other way. In fact, there was something ticking in her mind, forcing her awake.

Finally, she gave up and sat up in the bed. Harry moved beside her, but didn’t rise. She looked down at him jealously as he rested comfortable with his still trim body. Stepping from the bed, she tried to slip on her little slippers, but it was pointless. It had been pointless for the last month.

She was nearing the dresser when something began to tap violently on the glass. She grabbed her wand from her nightstand, but Harry was already out of bed, pulling the curtains away from the window.

“Get back, Mel,” he demanded.

Melody glanced over his shoulder and laughed a little at what she saw. A large jet black owl was waiting for them to open the window. Recognizing it as an emergency owl, though, Harry thrust the window up quickly, allowing the frantic bird in.

A small note fell from its leg and Harry read it to himself.

“It’s from Ron,” he said shortly, “Hermione’s in labor!”

In the next second, they were both dressed and making their way down the stairs to Apparate from the front porch. In unison they both made a single spin, but Harry unlike Melody disappeared.

She panicked for a moment before she realized that a side-along was necessary with the baby almost fully developed. Again she tried, and this time she was successful.

Arriving in the lobby of St. Mungo’s, she looked around for Harry or any of the Weasleys.

“Are you alright?” Harry asked, grasping her head in his hands.

“Forgot about the little one,” Melody replied casually, before grabbing his hand that was leading up to the birthing floor.

In the waiting room a mob of red heads was crowded around one spot. Thinking Hermione might be in the center of them, Melody waddled over to them as quickly as possible in her condition.

Seeing her approaching, Mrs. Weasley called out to her.

“Slow down, dear. You shouldn’t be so nervous in your condition. Come sit.”

She motioned toward a chair off to the side, but Melody made her way straight into the pit of Weasleys. In the center was not Hermione but Ron. She was completely pale and shaking from head to toe.

“You’re here,” he said breathlessly.

Harry moved in beside Melody and pulled her from the excited bunch.

“Mel, you really should sit. It might be awhile,” he said, tenderly placing her in the chair before returning to Ron.

Melody could see nothing between the fidgeting Weasleys, so she rose to her feet when Harry returned to her.

“Sit, Mel!” he said sharply, taking the seat beside her.

“How is he?”

“He’ll be fine. He’s just nervous. Hermione is fine, they say.”

“Good,” Melody replied as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“We’re the godparents.”

Melody rose from her sleepy state and looked at him.

“He told you in that short time?” she asked with a laugh.

“He told me a lot of things just now, mostly in jibberish.”

Melody laughed and put herself to bed on his shoulder once more. They sat like this for at least an hour when a very thin nurse entered the waiting room.

“Mr. Weasley?”

A cacophony of responses came from Arthur, Charlie, Bill, Fred, George, Percy, but nothing came from Ron. He had passed out.

“Oh snap out of it, boy,” his father said with a sharp snap of his fingers.

Ron revived and was helped to his feet by his twin brothers. The nurse gently placed her hand on his shoulder before leading him away to see Hermione and their child.

The clock ticked louder now that they didn’t have Ron to worry about. They were all left to crowd the waiting room and make clumsy small talk. The strain was first apparent on Mrs. Weasley as she began to pace the entire width of the room mumbling about seeing her grandchild.

Melody was just drifting off on Harry’s shoulder when Ron reappeared with a dreamy look on his face with the skinny nurse just behind him.

“He’s perfect,” Ron said sheepishly.

The Weasley clan erupted in rejoicing over another Weasley man. Fred and George began listing off all this things they could pack away in the boys truck when he went off to Hogwarts and Mrs. Weasley turned the yarn she was knitting into a bright blue color.

Charlie pulled a petite stuffed dragon from Gabby’s bag and handed it to Ron. A little shaken still, Ron looked at the dragon and then back at his brother.

“It’s for your son, Ron,” he said amidst a laugh.

Holding the small stuffed animal, Ron fell into the seat below him.

“My son…bloody hell! I’m a dad!”

Again he fainted, but this time the family let him rest a moment while they all scurried into Hermione’s room to see that baby. It wasn’t a challenge to find the little thing in its bassinet, for he had the same distinctive hair of his father and the majority of the people in the room.

“There he is!” Mrs. Weasley sang as she picked up the baby.

“Do you have a name?” Harry asked as he took his turn poking at the infant.

“Davon,” Hermione said from the bed, “Davon Albus Weasley “ for Dumbledore.”

The room hummed around the child for as long as the nurse would allow it, but as the clock finally hit seven in the morning, the Weasleys and Potters were ushered out.

Melody stole away from Harry in the lobby long enough to pass the nurse and see Hermione one last time. She crossed the room toward the sleepy mother and placed herself right at her side.

“Did it hurt?” she asked childishly.

“Don’t tell me the most powerful witch of our time is afraid of a little childbirth,” she laughed taking a drink of water.

Melody laughed, but Hermione could still see the fear on her face.

“Don’t worry, Mel,” she reassured, “With all the advances in magical medicine, I barely felt a thing.”

Smiling at Hermione, Melody made her way to exit. She was just about to board the elevator when a sharp pain hit her. The room began to fade as she heard voices rushing around her.
Quicksilver by Sparkling Star
When the world reappeared to Melody, she was lying in a bed of a room identical to Hermione’s.

“Oh God!” she called out as another pain hit her.

“Looks like this one really wants to come out,” the Healer standing over her said, “Let’s begin.”

“No!” Melody said sharply, “Get Harry. He’s in the lobby.”

All the nurses froze in their places.

“GO!” Melody shouted sending two of them off to find Harry.

The Healer began to prepare himself for the birth, but Melody nearly kicked him.

“Don’t you dare start until Harry’s here,” she snapped as he backed away.

“Let me at least give you something for the pain,” he said, delicately reaching his wand forward.

In an instant, the pains were gone and as Hermione said, Melody felt nothing. The room was sent into a freeze frame as they waited for Harry. Melody felt the child’s movements, but still felt no pain.

“We really should begin, Mrs. Potter,” the Healer suggested.

She was about to tell him off when Harry ran into the room and grabbed at her hand. The instant she had the comfort of feeling him there, the Healer almost leapt forward to begin.

What Melody (and everyone else) expected to take at least an hour was finished in less than thirty seconds. Before she could even think, the Healer was walking away with something in his arms. The nurses furiously surrounded him.

“I can’t believe it,” Melody heard the Healer say to the crowd.

Melody was suddenly scared. She pulled Harry’s hand close to her heart for a moment before sending him over to see what was going on.

He ran over to the crowd of medical workers and fought his way to where the Healer was standing.

“What’s wrong?” Melody heard him yell at the Healer.

There was a long pause before it was as if the waters parted and the nurses stepped out of the Healers way. In his arms he held their baby, clean and ready for its mother.

“I’ve never seen such a fast birth. It is unbelievable that she is fine,” he said stepping toward Melody.

“She?” she asked as Harry returned to her side.

A nurse pulled in behind the Healer with a wide smile on her face.

“It looks like you have a little witch on your hands.”

“Who would have expected less from the daughter of you two?” the Healer beamed, placing the baby girl in Melody’s arms.

The proud parents looked down at the warm bundle just as she let out the softest yawn. Her head was covered with light fuzz that Melody affectionately grazed against her cheek. When she again looked down at the child, she was being stared at through two sharp green eyes.

“She’s flawless,” Melody said kissing the baby’s head before handing her to Harry.

He beckoned one of the nurses cleaning up to go out for the Weasleys, still in the lobby, awaiting word. Returning to Melody, he carefully pulled a stool up under himself and sat beside her bed.

Worn from excitement, the fleet of red heads entered the room in silence. Mrs. Weasley was the first to approach Harry.

“Oh, isn’t she a dear,” she sighed sweetly, warmly placing a hand on the newborn’s head, “You’re mother should be here. Why don’t I go for her.”

With that the exhausted woman exited the room. Harry tenderly leaned over so the Kevin and Kallista could see the baby. They poked lightly at her cheeks while Ginny allowed Connor to get a better look as well.

“Do you have a name?” Gabby asked from behind Charlie.

Melody and Harry looked at each other and realized they hadn’t even really thought about it.

“Today’s been crazy. We’ll sleep on it,” Harry said handing the baby off to Melody.

Just as the Weasleys were going to make their way home, their matriarch returned, only now she had a look of great anguish.

“Melly, dear, I have some bad news from your mother,” she said softly, “They’re on their way, but they were just upstairs. I’m afraid…Well, your parents were upstairs because Anna has been very ill and she just now…”

Mrs. Weasley was having trouble finding the words, but Melody had a terrible feeling that she already knew what they were.

“I’m sorry, dear, but she passed away.”

Melody’s body suddenly went rigid.

“Harry, take her,” she said stiffly.

Harry gathered the baby in her arms and had just placed her in her bassinet before he had to pin Melody against her bed.

“What are you doing?” Melody snapped, trying to get past him.

“Lie down,” he said sharply at her, “Where are you going?”

“I have to see Anna!” Melody shouted as the visitors slowly filtered out.

“Oh, she is already gone, dear,” Mrs. Weasley responded, “Your parents were just filling out the papers.”

Melody fought for only a moment longer before she let Harry fall on her in an embrace.

As Mrs. Weasley was exiting, another one of the Healer’s nurses entered holding some paper work.

“Have you thought of a name for the little angel?” the elderly Irish woman asked, her pen at the ready.

Harry began to say something, but Melody stopped him.

“Anna…” she forced herself to say, “Anna Lillian Potter.”

Harry looked down at her and then back at the nurse. He nodded and the name was set. He crossed the room and again took Anna in his arms.

A noise at the door alerted Melody to a new arrival as she looked up to see her parents. Her mother’s eyes were puffy from tears, but somehow she managed to find more as she looked upon her granddaughter.

Mr. Chancelle immediately went to Melody and wrapped his arms around her in comfort.

Aware of her worries, he simple said, “It was in her sleep. She was comfortable. She would have wanted to see this, though.”

Mrs. Chancelle crossed to her husband with Anna in her arms. She rested herself on the edge of the bed beside Melody and three generations sat enjoying the sugar of their most bittersweet day.
August Fools by Sparkling Star
Melody awoke well rested and ready to return home with Anna. Harry moved around her in the room gathering little things that had gathered for the child over the last day. As he dressed Anna in a little jumper, he looked over at his wife and smiled.

“Ready to be a mom?” he asked simply.

“We’ll see,” she replied, standing from her bed and putting her hair in a ponytail.

Harry tapped the pile of baby things with his wand and they were sent away to the house. He carried Anna over to Melody and wrapped a spare arm around her.

The little trio walked out of their room and slowly made their way to the hospital lobby. Melody was entranced by Anna’s smile as they stepped off the elevator and into the chaotic room. People shot from side to side in what Melody remembered as normal St. Mungo’s behavior.

When they stepped from behind an unpleasant indoor plant, they were swarmed by flashing bulbs and screeching questions.

Their shadows were back and this time they had nearly tripled in size as they completely surrounded the new family. Harry had lost his temper once with these prying fools, but that was an utter understatement to his reaction of their inquiry of his daughter.

With a forceful stab of his wand, all the reporters were thrown back at least three feet. Melody opened her mouth to say something, but Harry beat her.

“Stay back you low-lives,” he shouted into the face of a pale reporter trying to regain his footing, “Offer us the decency to take our daughter home in peace!”

He was about to direct his clan out of the hospital when a bold, yellow haired fool called out.

“It’s a girl, then?”

Harry immediately spun on his heels and shot the journalist with a stream of blue light that flattened him against the floor. The other reporters looked at the young man as he trembled on the marble.

“She is a girl that you have no right to bombard with your garbage and that will never find herself even remotely annoyed with any of you! Stay away from my daughter or you’ll all get the same thing,” he snapped before removing his family from the building.

They were out on the street in seconds, hailing a taxi.


After a night of occasional alarms, the parents woke to find little Anna sleeping peacefully in her crib. Melody was running her hand through the contents of her closet as Harry gazed upon the little bundle.

“I know why Ron fainted now. She’s beautiful,” he said, delicately brushed her head with his index finger.

Melody smiled as she slipped into a white summer dress. Harry left the room to start breakfast and in his absence Melody made her way to the crib and looked down at Anna for a long time.

She gathered the child in her arms and carried her down to the kitchen where Harry was placing some jam on his toast.

“Ah. My two girls at last join me,” he laughed.

Melody magically summoned a bottle and it levitated in the air above Anna. The three sat quietly enjoying the morning until there was a shout from the living room.

Harry was immediately on his feet and on the move to approach the frantic voice. Melody followed him at a good distance for a second, but he quickly demanded that she stay in the kitchen while he checked it out. Never one to sit it out, Melody paced the kitchen. She heard the murmurs of conversation from the living room, but respected Harry’s wishes and stayed still for Anna’s sake.

Harry returned to the kitchen with what appeared to be an invisible weight dragging down his shoulders. His face was grim, but Melody couldn’t wait another second to find out what had just happened.

“What was that?” she asked sharply, pulling Anna in closer to herself.

“I want you to take Anna to the Burrow. There you can stay with Molly and Bill.”

“Why?!” Melody objected.

“Malfoy…he’s back in the area. You will be safer there. You’re still weak from the birth.”

Harry had lost her at “Malfoy.” He was now summoning items from all over the house, mainly the hidden storeroom.

“What are you going to do?” Melody asked him after she regained her composure.

“I’m first going to the Ministry to meet with the other Aurors, and then we are going out to find him. With all of us focusing on this, it shouldn’t take long to pin him down.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“Malfoy is here for one of two reasons: one, he is coming after me, in which case he will come to me; or two, he is coming after both of us, and then he will stick to the area. I’ll be home in time to tuck Anna in for bed.”

He moved in and kissed Melody on the head before doing the same for Anna.

“Please. Go to the Burrow,” he said softly before running off to save his little family.

Melody sat in shock for a moment, before summoning a bag of Anna’s things.

The morning was warm and the walk was short, but Melody opted to use Side-Along to get to the Burrow. She arrived in the yard and anxiously glanced around her. Hurrying up the door, she was met by Mrs. Weasley as she headed out of the house.

“Oh Melody, dear. You really shouldn’t have Anna out too much yet,” she said before placing a hand on Anna’s face.

“Come inside with me, Molly. Something very serious is going on.”

Molly immediately set down the basket she was carrying and placed her arm over Melody’s shoulder.

“Is Anna okay?” Molly asked as they stepped into the house.

“She’s fine, but she might be in danger.”

As Melody readjusted the infant in her arms, Bill made his way down the stairs. He saw the distress on Melody’s face and pulled a seat up beside her.

“What’s going on?” he asked placing a hand on her back.

“Harry was called off this morning because Malfoy has been seen in the area. Alone I couldn’t fight him off after having Anna, so he told me to come here.”

“Stay all you like,” Molly said sweetly, “later tonight, Bill will walk you home and stay with you until Harry returns.”

Bill nodded and the group settled in for a tense day in a usually comforting home.


Night has long fallen and Harry had failed to return home before Anna was put to bed. Bill was upstairs in a guest bedroom while Melody sat with Anna in the living room.

Hours passed as Melody constantly scanned the windows surrounding her. Any small noise, she overreacted to and leapt up from her seat to run to them. Never was there anything suspicious on the other side.

As night grew older and older, Melody found her eyes drooping. She had finally calmed enough to sleep when a hiss in the air woke her around four in the morning. Slowly, she opened her eyes to see a shadow hovering over her with her daughter in its arms.


In a second her wand was out and pointed at the hidden face. With a brash movement, Harry removed his hood and pulled Melody’s wand from her hand. As she recognized him, Melody jumped to her feet and wrapped her arms around her family before gathering Anna from Harry’s arms and cuddling the child in her own.

“Thank goodness you’re back, Harry. What happened?” she asked as he guided her to the couch, where he sat down beside her.

Solemnly, Harry ran a finger through the light fuzz on Anna’s head.

“It’s worse than we thought. That rat isn’t just running around, hiding. He is about trying to make the old Death Eaters join him in avenging Voldemort’s death. Looks like I’m the target again.”

“Not again,” Melody sighed, placing her head on Harry’s shoulder.

They sat in silence for a moment while Melody recounted that fateful night in her head. She remembered vividly the hatred in Draco’s eyes as he stood over Dumbledore’s dead body.

“What scares me,” Harry began, “is that you were there with me and with both of us under the gun, it can’t mean anything good.”

Melody paused for a moment and followed Harry’s eyes to Anna, sleeping in her arms.

“They’ll come straight for Anna.”

Harry nodded with a great look of burden on his face.

“That was my first thought too. We need to come up with a way to protect her until this revolt is resolved.”

The silence that followed was filled with a collage of various images and ideas, none of which seemed to make a lot of sense to Melody.

“Have you thought of any ideas?” she asked.

“First and most certainly, I need to focus my efforts on finding Malfoy before he finds us. It will mean being away more, but it’ll be better in the long run.”

Melody wasn’t about to be selfish of his time when it came to Anna.

“If it means saving our daughter’s life, you have no choice.”

Again, Harry nodded.

“Exactly. She’ll also need to be watched constantly, so for the rest of the summer, she can’t leave your sight.

“Absolutely,” Melody asserted before coming across the same question that Harry had.

What would happen when term started again?

“But I run out of ideas when term starts and you have to start teaching again,” he reflected.

Melody thought for a second, but was certain what she would need to do.

“Anna comes first. I won’t return to teaching until Malfoy is caught.”

Harry shook his head.

“I don’t think that would be wise. First of all, it may be a long time before that happens. Second, it might be very crucial that we have a witch of your caliber at the school to protect the students if Malfoy takes an even more pitiful approach. Isn’t there some one we can trust to watch her during the day?”

Melody ran through the people they knew in her mind.

“Molly would be happy to take her,” she suggested.

Again, Harry’s head shook.

“Molly isn’t as young as she once was. She wouldn’t be able to fight off Malfoy.”

Melody agreed before falling on the obvious choice.

“Bill.”

Harry was not as clear on the simplicity of this.

“What about him? We can’t expect him to quit at Gringott’s to babysit our kid while you’re at work.”

“No, he is working from a home base right now,” Melody began to reason, “He has been staying at the Burrow, but he could do just as well, if not better, here. We have to at least give him a chance.”

Harry was quiet for a moment as he thought this new information out in his mind. After the long pause, he nodded and promised to see him with her the next morning before he headed out.

They placed Anna in her room with a strong force field around her that would alert them to unwelcome hands. Together they stood in the doorway gazing upon their child. A tear escaped Melody before she buried herself in Harry’s chest.
Friendly Fire by Sparkling Star
A year came and went filled with the intense tension of finding Malfoy to no success. It seemed certain that Malfoy had moved on, and they had even captured a good gathering of Death Eaters that claimed her had fled again. Still, the search continued.

In that year, Melody had seen Harry for an average of twenty minutes a week. He came home late, after she had gone to bed, and left early, before she was awake. Some nights she managed to keep herself awake long enough to listen for a couple minutes about his day and the recent developments, but many times they went an entire week without speaking.

The only occasion of change came on the first day of summer vacation. Melody was determined to be fully awake when Harry arrived home.

That night, he came dragging through the house and pulling himself up the stairs. As soon as she heard the sounds of a beaten man coming down the hall, she moved to the doorway of their bedroom. Harry stopped at the door to Anna’s room and smiled for a moment before seeing Melody across the hall.

“It’s late, Mel,” he said, smiling, “What are you still doing up?”

She smiled back at him.

“I thought you would like to see your wife at least once a year.”

“You have no idea how much I miss your pretty face,” he said, crossing the hall and placing a hand against her cheek.

His hands were rough, but Melody kissed them before wrapping her arms around his neck. He slipped his hands just under the edge of her tee shirt and she fell into his arms as he proceeded to rid her of the item.

As the summer progressed, these occasions faded just as the chance of finding Malfoy did. Growing more and more irritable, Melody became angry with Harry for not being there to see their daughter grow up.

When a familiar sickness began to take over her, she began to worry. After concocting that same potion with baby’s breath, Melody’s fears were confirmed. Another child was on the way, even if Harry refused to give up the fruitless plight to imprison Malfoy.


Anna playfully swung her picture book through the air as Melody turned the page in her own book. It was a hot August day, so the Potter girls had opted to read inside where it was cooler.

Melody was just summoning a new book for Anna when Bill walked in from the entry.

“Billy!” Anna called out to the common guest.

“There’s my girl,” Bill said blowing her a kiss.

Melody welcomed Bill and invited him to sit beside her on the couch. She offered him a magazine to leaf through and was about to leave to take a bath.

“Melody,” Bill said, stopping her, “I have some news.”

Melody took her place on the couch again and hoped for more updates about his blossoming relationship with a lovely lady named Catie.

“Catie and I are getting married,” he said plainly.

Melody wrapped her arms around him in a congratulatory hug before realizing what this would mean for her own situation.

“I know its short notice, but next month, after the wedding, I’m going back to work at Gringott’s. That and Catie are going to make it impossible for me to stay with Anna.”

Melody was quiet for a moment.

“I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but…”

“You are absolutely right in going, Bill. You have been more than a friend by watching Anna. Harry and I both appreciate it.”

“What will you do when term comes?”

“Don’t worry about that. We’ll think of something,” Melody reassured.

Bill rose to his feet and crossed to Anna to say goodbye.

“Goodbye, Sweetie,” he said before kissing her head.

Anna looked from Bill to Melody before looking back at Bill.

“Buh-Bye Dadda!”

Bill laughed the misunderstanding off, but Melody was less than thrilled. Her entire body went rigid as she rose and picked up Anna. They both waved bye to Bill and Melody brought Anna over to the wall of photos hanging in the entry way. She pointed to a picture of Harry and Anna only giggled.

“That is Daddy,” she instructed.

Anna only continued to laugh as Melody placed her on the floor near her books. She was just about to sit down herself when the front door opened and closed. Glancing at the clock, she was certain it was too early for Harry. Nervously, she pulled her wand from her pocket only to put it away as Harry walked into the living room. Melody was almost angry enough to keep the wand out, but instead she deafened Anna with a swipe of her hand.

Harry looked at her curiously, but continued to walk toward her.

“This is ridiculous!” she shouted, causing him to stop in his path.

Harry’s happiness from the comfort of being home faded from his face and he was thrown deeper into his confusion.

“What is?” he asked placing his bag next to the arm chair.

“Your job,” Melody remarked boldly, “It know its demanding, but honestly, would it kill you to make a moment for your daughter just once?”

“Anna? Why do you think I am going to work? I’ve been going out early and coming in late every day so that Anna can live a normal life without the fear I lived with all of mine! God Melody, I thought we were together on this one. You’re not yourself tonight.”

Melody ignored the guilt trip.

“Malfoy is long gone, Harry, and Anna doesn’t even know you! She thinks Bill is her father!”

Harry stared at her for a moment completely unbelieving of this ridiculous statement.

“No she doesn’t!” he stupidly yelled back.

“He stopped by today to tell me that he won’t be able to sit with her next term, and …she called him ‘Dadda.’”

Harry went rigid, but Melody clearly noticed how upset he was with her more than himself.

“I can’t help it, Melody,” he said through clenched teeth, “Was I supposed to let Malfoy come at me through Anna? God, Mel, you always do this. Even in school, there was so much more going on than you and me. When I wasn’t trying to keep you happy, I was at lessons with Dumbledore or off working with Aurors. It’s the same thing now. This is all for Anna in the long run and you are overreacting.”

“Of course I’m overreacting. My hormones are going mad! How are we supposed to bring another kid into this world if we can’t even keep it together with just the three of us!?”

Harry’s face completely softened. Melody hadn’t intended to tell him she was pregnant this way and for a second she had forgotten that she hadn’t told him.

“What?” Harry questioned.

“That’s right,” she responded, “I’m pregnant again.”

Harry stood in silence for a moment before stepping closer to Melody and embracing her. She melted in the warmth of his arms like so many times before.

“Mel, I know things haven’t been right since that first morning I left after Malfoy,” he began, “but that is why I am home early. We capture him this afternoon. He’s in prison.”

Melody’s heart leapt. She pulled herself away to look in Harry’s eyes. For a moment, she was certain she had never been as happy.

Laughing she asked, “Why are we fighting over good news, then?”

Harry laughed with her.

“I don’t know,” he chuckled, “Malfoy is behind bars and we have a baby on the way, but we still find something to argue about. Looks like things are back to normal.”

Harry moved toward Anna and picked her up. Melody waved her hand to reverse the deafening spell.

“And of course we have this little lady, who is obviously confused,” he said before tickling Anna.

Upon recognizing Harry’s voice, Anna wrapped her arms around Harry’s neck and nuzzled herself up against his chest before falling asleep.

Whispering, Harry asked, “When should I be expecting baby number two?”

Melody smiled as Anna gave out a little coo.

“March.”
Recollections by Sparkling Star
The Daily Prophet

Magic World’s First Family Receives Another Member
As of March 15, the magic world can look forward to another spectacular wizard. Harry and Melody Potter, infamous for the demise of the Dark Lord, have added another child to their family. Sirius James Potter might live up to his parent’s abilities as he was born in a record 15 seconds, beating the previous holder, his sister with 19 seconds. It looks like the famous parents will have their hands full with Anna, now 2, and little Sirius. Wizardkind is buzzing with the arrival of a male heir to Harry’s ability and legacy. Sirius is named…



Melody laughed as she set the paper down. Harry was across from her, holding little Sirius. Anna was happily enjoying grapes in the seat next to her.

“It’s silly, really,” she commented on the paper.

Harry nodded as Sirius, a carbon copy of his father except for the lightning scar, spit out a little of his formula. Melody pointed at the spot that appeared on his jumper and it was instantly gone. Motherhood suited her more than she had thought with Anna’s birth.

“I find it funny that he is going to carry on my legacy as if Voldemort is going to come back or something.”

Melody looked up from her coffee.

“I wouldn’t put it past the monster.”

Harry rose and kissed her on the forehead before making his way to the door.

“That mountain has been climbed and destroyed. Now we just have little wannabes to deal with.”

Melody thought about Malfoy for a second, but comforted herself with the fact that he was in prison. She gathered Anna in her arms and they made their way up the stairs. Placing her in her bedroom, Melody moved to the doorway of Sirius’ room.

“I think I’ll go see the twins today,” she said in reference to Ron and Hermione’s new bundles.

“Good,” Harry said, placing Sirius in his crib, “While your there, tell them to stop copying us.”

“Actually, Sirius was born after Julia and Garrett,” Melody corrected.

“Either way, it’s strange.”

Anne came around the corner in her little pink dress and raised her arms up in the air towards Harry in hopes of being picked up.

“Daddy! Let’s fly!” she begged.

Melody was cautious when it came to Anna going for rides on Harry’s broom. Harry noted this in her expression and looked at her in hopes of permission.

“Fine, but let me change her out of her nice dress first,” she compromised.

After she had changed Anna, Melody lifted her into her arms and then crossed to Sirius’ room. She magically placed him in his levitating bassinet. The trio made their way down the stairs and in the entryway were met with the common ring of the doorbell.

Harry quickly appeared around the corner and pointed his wand at the door. With a flick, the door became transparent and Melody could decipher if it was just another annoying reporter.

To her surprise, Professor Trelawny, her frazzled coworker, stood on the other side with an unexplainable expression on her face.

Melody opened the door, but before she could say anything Sybil began a drawn out speech in a fixed state.

” Two families marked by joined arrivals
In full, two girls and three boys
Have awaiting them a grand reward.
In the youngest of the team of five
There is a fire of victory.
In the oldest of the quintet
A passionate heart of love
To share with the next in line.
The final two, alike by design
Are and will be a loyal tribe
These five hold the fate of a kind
As the imminent battle looms
And will one day strike
Five small infants just for now
Will become heroes alike”


She broke from her zombie state and proceeded to inquire about the baby.

When she had gone, Melody and Harry took a moment to consider the prophecy that had spouted from the less than qualified teacher. Aware of the seriousness of her other prophecies, they wrote it down, but the woman’s mind had completely gone long ago and even her prophecies seemed to be falling apart as far as truthfulness.


When summer had begun to fade and Melody was nearing the day that she would have to return to class, Harry and Ron decided a double vacation might be a good idea.

Mrs. Weasley enthusiastically welcomed the five children into her home. Anne took her post as kitchen help by digging out her special made apron that Molly had made up for her. Davon went hunting for Kevin who had promised to teach him how to play wizarding chess. Gabby had been enlisted to provide for the three babies, so she now gathered her niece and nephew in her arms to take them off to the living room.

All that was left was Sirius who cried the instant he was more than a foot away from his parents. Melody slowly rocked him for a moment before handing him off to Molly who confidently reassured the parents that she knew how to handle a baby that misses his mum.

The two sets of parents left the house gingerly as they almost regretted leaving their little ones. The guilt didn’t subside until they were basking in the warm sun.

At night, they met for a nice meal where they would reminisce about their younger times and all the foolishness that old friends exchange. Most common of there transfers were stories from Auror training for Ron and Harry and laughter over the dramatic happenings from their days at Hogwarts.

Rarely did they talk about the darker time with Voldemort or more recently Malfoy. There was a certainty in the air that they had finally found a peaceful state away from the trauma that plagued their youth. It brought a strange insurance that their children would never face that same sadness and fear.

This hopefulness was particularly evident in Harry. For Anna and Sirius, he had made himself a promise to keep them away from the things he faced as a young man. They would not lose their innocence to forces beyond their control.
Another Cycle by Sparkling Star
The stores of Diagon Alley were completely blocked by the same old plague. Reporters and cameras refused to budge as Melody gripped tightly to the little hands of her children. What fame Melody thought would have faded seemed to grow over the years. Little acts or signs of magic from the Potter kids was an Earth shattering event “ to catch one being performed on camera was any reporter’s dream…

…which brought them to this scene. Melody stood in the center of the street with Anna’s hand in her right and Sirius’ in her left. She had brought them in close to her sides while the reporters formed an increasingly tight circle around them.

“You are all disgusting!” Melody called out at them, “I can’t believe you would hunt little children.”

The reporters ignored her and only stepped closer and closer to the children. One particularly irritating paparazzi reached out and tugged on Sirius’ sleeve to get his attention. Melody had enough.

“Did you just touch my son?!” she exploded.

The man backed away, but it was too late. She pulled her wand from her clothes and sent a shot of blue light in all directions. The reporters were cast back in all directions and Melody instructed Anna and Sirius to move quickly toward the broom shop as they regained their footing.

She violently closed the door to the shop behind her the instant they were all in.

“Do you mind if I lock this while we shop for a bit?” Melody asked as the shopkeeper came from the back.

“Absolutely. Anything for the Potters,” he said with a wide grin across his face.

Melody led Anna and Sirius around the store as she looked at the various makes and models. Little Anna was seven now and determined to learn how to fly her own broom. Harry had convinced Melody to let him teach her on the condition that she picked the broom.

“Looking for a new broom, Mrs. Potter,” the shopkeep asked.

Melody nodded.

“Anna will be learning to ride,” she said gesturing to her daughter.

The shop owner nodded and retreated to the back of the shop. When he returned he was holding many compact models.

“These are ideal for children riders,” he pitched, “The smaller size creates a safer ride for them that they can handle.”

Melody was instantly drawn to the safety strengths. After about half an hour of running through finishes and specific models, Melody selected a Stardust 400.

“Will Mr. Potter be teaching her?” the owner asked excitedly.

Melody again nodded.

“Could have played professionally that boy, spectacular rider. She’ll certainly be a natural with parents like you and Mr. Potter.”

Melody thanked him for the all too common flattery before setting up a time to pick up the finished broom.

“Don’t think on it. I’ll fly the broom out to your house myself,” the shopkeeper offered.

Melody jotted down their address before grasping the two little hands again to brace them for the awaiting mob.

As they made their way into the street, Melody was struck with a bad feeling. She glanced through the crowd for a cause and spotted it in a group of hooded men watching her and the children. She immediately recognized Goyle among them and forced her way through the crowd to make it back to the Leaky Cauldron.


Anna ran into her dad’s lap as soon as she spotted him in the living room scanning some paper work. Sirius trailed behind her and he too fell into Harry’s lap.

“Who are these tired people?” he asked, “These can’t be my smiley kids.”

The two little ones scooted over so that Melody could take a seat next to Harry. She pulled Sirius into her lap and kissed Harry on the cheek.

“They had a scary day at Diagon Alley. First there was the same old mean mob with cameras, but then something really got me.”

Harry sensed the concern in her voice and suggested that Anna take Sirius to look through her new flying books.

“What is it?” Harry asked as soon as they left the room.

“Goyle,” Melody said simply, “I saw him with a bunch of shady characters in town.”

Harry was immediately concerned. He rose to his feet and summoned his bag.

“I’ll go into the office and check on things. If something’s going on, we’re going to be the first to know.”

In the next second he was gone.


Melody was reassured by the way he confidently entered the kitchen upon his return.

“Malfoy and all his fools are still wasting away behind bars at Azkaban.”

Melody smiled and kissed Harry with relief.

“Nevertheless,” Harry continued, “I don’t think it would be a bad idea to get a group of people together to keep their eyes and ears open.”

“Like the Order?” Melody asked simply.

“I suppose, but I was thinking about gathering the members of the DA from my fifth year. The Order is past its prime and this is going to take good young men and women.”

Melody nodded and Harry left to make phone calls to people.


The meeting adjourned with nothing to show for the time. They had nothing to base their concerns on officially and therefore, no way to come up with methods of defense. Viligance was all that stepped forward.

Harry and Melody made their way out to the balcony of the house to call in all the kids to come meet their parents, but as they watched the youthful play and joyful laughter something tore at their hearts.

Harry leaned against the railing and broke down for the first time in a long time in front of Melody. She immediately rushed to his side and placed an arm across his back.

“It isn’t fair,” he said forcefully, “We already beat this once. We’ve already lost enough to this cause.”

Melody rested her head on his shaking shoulder. She couldn’t find the words to comfort him. All that ran through her head were the various faces of those that had fought and lost to protect the wizarding race.

“Dumbledore would have wanted us to keep fighting for what’s right,” she said in an attempt to motivate him.

Harry’s eyes again fell upon the children running around the vast backyard. Melody watched as his gaze followed Anna as she poured sand on Davon.

“She shouldn’t have to live the way I did. That’s the last thing I want for her…and him.”

His gaze was now glued to Sirius as he and the twins laughed at each other, not far from Anna and Davon.

“That’s why we’re going to beat it again,” Melody said plainly.

“Do you think we can?”

“We have to,” Melody said taking Harry’s hand, “for them.”

The parents returned to looking at the kids. They looked upon the fate of a people. They watched a little hero jump at a fire fly as his strongest allies fought over a swing. Their daughter slapped at her future as he dusted her with dirt, but all they felt was helplessness.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=61970