Here Without You by Sarakime
Summary: It was as if he was confined in a dark box, though a small stream of light illuminated his past. That light reminded him of how his old life was just beyond his reach. All he had to do is get over her to escape the depression. But trying was like grasping dark smoke with your fingertips; he couldn’t.

A story of heartbreak and a lonely soul. Songfic to Here Without You. One-shot.
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1205 Read: 1585 Published: 01/03/07 Updated: 01/07/07

1. The Rain by Sarakime

The Rain by Sarakime
Author's Notes:
Hello everyone! I really hope you enjoy this fic, it means a lot to me. Thanks so much to my wonderfully amazing beta, Ashley (Gryffinpuff) for betaing this, and also Bellamurte for looking it over... Enjoy!

Disclaimers: The song is called Here Without You, by 3 Doors Down. I don't own it, or Harry Potter.





One hundred days have made me older,
Since the last time I saw your pretty face.
One thousand lies made me colder,
And I don’t think I can look at this the same.
And all the miles that separate,
Disappear now when I’m dreaming of your face.


The rain, thrashing down from the heavenly sky, was a downpour on the city below. Cascading spikes of life, drenching the streets and filling eyes with tremendous power. The droplets splash the faces of children, and splatter on the harsh cement. To many, it’s just another shower. Just another wait for the sun. But to him, it was an escape. An escape from problems, from heartbreak, from life and its cruelties.

Lightning flashed, and thunder shook his small household items. Gathering his hot chocolate and slippers, he grabbed his wand and cut it through the air, suddenly silencing the radio. There was no use for him to try to distract himself with it, for the rain was distraction enough. He could stare into the raindrops for hours at a time, feeling completely calm and serene. The rain relaxed him. He didn’t know why or how, but he did know that just listening and seeing the tears of the sky, seeing the drops of the blue seas above, made him feel complete and empty at the same time. It was as if he had never loved before; never been hurt, never felt any emotion besides those of calmness. But it only happened when the drumming of water reached his eyes and ears.

He stood up and walked down the cold stairs of his empty house. He was alone, of course, save one or two house elves. But what good were they? None at all. They didn’t make for good company; they didn’t make for anything at all. Nothing did anymore. His life was a shell of what it used to be, a haunting shadow that was always attached to him. It was as if he was confined in a dark box, though a small stream of light illuminated his past. That light reminded him of how his old life was just beyond his reach. All he had to do is get over her to escape the depression. But trying was like grasping dark smoke with your fingertips; he couldn’t. He wouldn’t.

He finally arrived at the large window in the front of his house and sat down. He gazed outside, but then closed his eyes and let his mind rely upon the soft tapping against the glass. He thought of her, how she was just like the rain. She was beautiful, yet not many realized it. She was groundless, her personality and smile coming down from the heavens. And just like the rain, she was the only one ever capable of making him feel complete.

I'm here without you baby, but you're still on my lonely mind.
I think about you baby, and I dream about you all the time.
I'm here without you baby, but you're still with me in my dreams.
And tonight, there's only you and me.


She had left. Departed from him one day, leaving his soul to rot until death. The day she left was the day his heart lost its soul. It was the day that he was certain he would die of depression, but he didn’t. He couldn’t. He was still alive, and the hurt was just as fresh as ever.

Every waking moment, it seemed, he thought of her. When he slept, he dreamt of her. Of her beauty, of her laugh, and the golden days when she was his and no one else’s. While he roamed about his house, or the countless jobs he unable to maintain, he always found a way to tie something to her. To her memory. Merlin knows he had tried to stop the constant thoughts of her, but nothing worked. Her legacy was fated to stay within him no matter what. He’d even tried seeing other people, but that was pointless. They were nothing compared to her. He’d tried everything. Nothing ever worked. His every move was one with her laugher running through his veins. Every word was said with the hope of one day finding her again.

The miles just keep rolling, as the people leave their way to say hello.
I've heard this life is overrated, but I hope that it gets better as we go.


Nothing was helping. Every single day, he felt the pain and burn in his heart that she was no longer there. Every smile was fake, every laugh forced.

He stood up. As rain kept its steady falling, he opened his entrance door. Small sprinkles of mist sprayed his skin. Taking a deep breath, he took a step farther, no longer protected by the small roof. The rain immediately clung to his clothes, and his hair stuck to his forehead. The rain prickled his skin as he rolled up the sleeves of his white, button down shirt. Looking up to the dark sky, he closed his silver eyes. With his arms spread out wide, he began to turn.

The rain cleansed his soul. It helped to deteriorate the heavy walls around his heart, the ones that forbid him to tell anyone of his unending love for her. It blanketed him, giving him small feelings in his bitter heart.

Everything I know and anywhere I go,
It gets hard but it won't take away my love.
And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done,
It gets hard but it won't take away my love.


Draco knew he would always love her. No matter what happened to him for the rest of his life, she would still have the majority of his heart. She was his first love and his only love as far as he was concerned. He let the rain sting his skin and heal his wounds as he opened his eyes. He envisioned her being there, standing next to him, laughing as the rain surrounded them. Her brown curls lying wet and straight. Her clothes as damp as his. Yet her smile, it was the sun. It shone through him, and made his life worthwhile.

And then she was gone. He closed his eyes once more, and pictured her beautiful face perfectly. There she was, Hermione Granger, staring him in the eye.

I'm here without you baby, but you're still on my lonely mind.
I think about you baby, and I dream about you all the time.
I'm here without you baby, but you're still with me in my dreams.
And tonight girl, there's only you and me.


He took a deep breath. As his tears mingled with the raindrops, he opened his mouth. Then, in the most silent whisper, he muttered a few words. The few words he never got to tell her, and the words that were in his mind every second of every day…

“I love you, Hermione Granger.”


Fin

Wipe away your tears (if you had any, I'm not sure..), and write up a review! I'd really appreciate it. This fic means a lot. Thanks! :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=62041