Like Home by Sophie_McKinsley
Summary: It's the end of summer before their last year at Hogwarts. As the trio spends the last week of summer at the Burrow, Hermione tries to forget about the upcoming school year and the ever-present threat of the Dark Lord.
Categories: Various Pairings Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 5501 Read: 1429 Published: 01/08/07 Updated: 01/14/07

1. Last Week of Freedom by Sophie_McKinsley

Last Week of Freedom by Sophie_McKinsley
The rain pounded relentlessly on Hermione’s bedroom windows. It was a very gloomy Sunday afternoon which increased Hermione’s uneasy feelings. She would be leaving soon for her seventh and final year at Hogwarts. She gathered the pages of the Daily Prophet up off of her bed, which she had spread everywhere having been through it many times. Thinking of the three new disappearances and Voldemort’s increasing attacks, she wondered how many of her year would make it to the end. Putting the paper under her arm, she grabbed a brush from her dresser and an old textbook from her bedside table. She placed them neatly in the open trunk on the floor, along with the folded Daily Prophet. She closed and latched it, looking around the room searching for anything she missed. Seeing that she hadn’t, she turned off the light and dragged her trunk out the white oak door, looking back at her bedroom only once. Something was different about leaving this time, although she didn’t know what.

She pulled the trunk down the stairs, down the hall, and into the room where her parents waited. Hermione opened her mouth to speak but was cut short by the man stepping out of the fire.

“Hello, again,” Mr. Weasley greeted Hermione’s parents. “Come on Hermione, it’s not safe to be slow these days.”

His face looked worried and he didn’t even goggle at the plugs and other household appliances. He grabbed her trunk and stood by the fireplace.

“Bye, Mum. Bye, Dad,” Hermione said, hugging her parents. “I’ll miss you. If funny stuff starts happening let me know. You never know what is really going on.”

“Ok dear. Be safe, too!” her mother said, a tear rolling down her cheek.

“We love you, sweetheart,” her father added. “Don’t forget it.”

Mr. Weasley coughed, then said, “We really must go.”

Hermione threw the Floo powder into the fire, turned and said, “I love you, too.”

“The Burrow,” she shouted and her parents disappeared, an empty feeling filling her stomach.

Out she fell into the warm kitchen followed by Mr. Weasley. She was greeted by seven shining faces surrounding a table covered in food. Mrs. Weasley was bustling around the table trying to find room for a large tray of rolls on the table. Bill and Fleur, who were sitting close on one side of the table, smiled towards her, not bothering to take their eyes off of each other for more than a moment. Fred, George, and Ron seemed to be engaged in a heated argument over the Chudley Cannons new Beater. Another couple was sitting close and whispering, however it wasn't the sweet love whispers of newlyweds being exchanged between Harry and Ginny. But whatever their discussion was about, it quickly ended at the sight of Hermione as Ginny made more room for her between herself and Fred.

“Oi, we’re hungry. Both of you hurry and get over here,” said Fred, or it could have been George. She wasn’t sure. Hermione got up and went to join Harry and Ginny starting a new conversation of what all had happened over the break. They were soon joined by Ron, who had given up on arguing with the twins. When Mr. Weasley finally positioned himself at the head of the table, everyone dug in. They all ate, listening to Fred and George read Ministry quotes from the Daily Prophet and stories of people who had seen ‘He who must not be named’ in their back garden. Hermione laughed, but only half-heartedly. Surprisingly, the look she saw in the twins’ eye told her they weren’t completely in it either. The entire group sat around the table for hours just talking and laughing. By the time dinner was over it was so late Fred and George decided to stay the night. Everyone was tired and began to make there way to where-ever they would be sleeping. Hermione followed Ginny to her room, where Hermione would stay during the week.

“So…” said Ginny, rather intently, as if she had been waiting all summer to ask Hermione this one question.

“So… what?” Hermione asked, closing the bedroom door, not knowing what secret she was supposed to be divulging.

“How are things with you and Ron?” Ginny asked, stopping brushing her hair to watch Hermione for her answer.

“What things between me and Ron? We are just friends,” Hermione answered, “and that’s all.”

“Oh, come on. You know he likes you. Not that, by any means, I’m rooting for him, but there is no reason to be alone if you don’t have to you know. And I’m sure that if I weren’t his sister, he wouldn’t be completely repulsive.”

“I don‘t think he’s repulsive. But I’m just not sure I want more. He and Harry have just always been my best friends. You know.”

“Yeah, I know. THEY are your best friends. Hmm…” Ginny said, her temper rising.

“Ginny, you know I meant in my year. Besides, you aren’t really around us at school much. I really do consider you my best friend.”

At first Ginny didn’t say anything but after a few second she said, “I know.” She still looked a little off set, but at least, more cheerful.

“So who then, if it’s not definitely ‘Won Won’?” Ginny asked teasingly.

Hermione thought for a second. “Oh, I don’t know. No one right now, I guess.”

“Come on, there must be someone?”

Hermione thought again and then one face came to mind. But she couldn’t like him; it was just so not like her. “Really, no one,” she answered. “I need something to drink. I’ll go down and get something. Be right back.”

It was more of an excuse to escape the conversation than an actual need, but before Ginny could say anything, Hermione was already walking down the stairs to the kitchen. When she got to the bottom of the stairs and was about to jump down to the landing she heard something. She froze and just listened. She kept hearing the sound. She wasn’t sure what it was but slowly made her way toward it. It was very quiet and coming from just outside the back door. She pulled out her wand from her robe pocket, put her hand on the door knob, and swung the door open. She raised her wand and began to speak when…

“EXPELLIARMUS.”

Her eyes followed her wand as it flew up out of her hand and landed on the ground. With terror running down her spine, she turned to stare at the face of…

“FRED, what in the world do you think your doing?” Hermione yelled, relieved but still shaken. Then, she saw what the noise had been and asked softly, “Why have you been crying?”

She couldn’t remember ever seeing Fred cry. The sight was almost more shocking than finding him. He sat down on the step and Hermione sat down beside him.

“I haven’t. I’m testing this new thing for Weasley’s Wizardin…,” he started, staring down at the ground avoiding her gaze.

“Be serious, Fred,” she interrupted, pulling his face around so she could see his eyes. “I won’t tell your brothers… or Ginny… or anyone.”

He was slightly surprised at her nerve. He realized she wouldn’t fall for any story he could make up. Knowing the truth would be the only answer she would except, he said, “It’s just that everything’s changing. There was a girl in our year, a Hufflepuff I think, killed last week. I’m just…,” but he stopped and stared off again.

“Fred, are you ok?” Hermione prodded, she could let him keep this inside himself.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.” Fred lied, but knew Hermione would know.

Not sure how much pushing Fred would take, she decided to let him keep that answer.

“Really Fred,” she said reassuringly, “remember you can talk to me whenever you need to. Write me at Hogwarts if you want.”

“Yeah, I guess I will.”

Fred’s last words were followed by the ringing silence of a summer night. They sat there for a long time, not really looking at each other or anything else for that matter. After a while, Hermione couldn’t help herself and yawned.

“You better get to bed,” Fred said, a semi-smile returning to his face. “I’m sure you’ve got a lot of fun planned for tomorrow. And thanks for sitting with me.”

He turned to her, pushing her hair behind her ear.

“Yeah, I am pretty tired. Goodnight,” she said, standing up and stepping back in the door.

She stopped and turned back to him, and whispered, “It was no problem.”

As she walked up the stairs, she felt the sudden urge to cry herself. She walked into Ginny’s room and tried to put it from her mind as she and Ginny went to bed.

The next day everyone woke at different times and slowly made their way down to breakfast. By the time Hermione and Ginny got down stairs Mr. Weasley, Bill, Fleur, Fred and George had left for work and Harry and Ron were outside playing Quidditch. The girls ate some breakfast and made their way outside to join the boys. When they got outside Ron and Harry landed to greet them and invited them to join in. Ginny immediately joined, but Hermione refused, “I’ll just watch.”

They spent most of the morning outside. When they went in to lunch, Mrs. Weasley informed them that their Hogwarts letters had arrived.

“We’ll find a day to go to Diagon Alley in the next couple days,” she told them. “The letter says you need dress robes again this year. I wonder what the occasion will be.”

“Me too,” Ginny added to Hermione.

“I don’t know,” said Hermione, opening her own letter to check for anymore information. “I don’t see anything.”

“Does it say who the new headmaster is?” Ginny asked. “Is it McGonagall?”

“Yes, it is.”

“I wonder what happened to Snape?” Ginny mused. “I think Fred and George know. They’re in the Order now. It’s still pretty bad for the Order members, even though the Ministry is now on our side.”

“They are in the Order? I never thought Fred and George really wanted to join. I just thought they didn’t want to be kept out of the loop.”

“Well, I guess they really did. And they just love rubbing it in our faces.”

“You know how the letter said we would need dress robes. Well I’m going to buy a new one, and I want to get you one too, as a kind of late birthday present. I had no idea what to get you and it was only a few weeks ago. So, would you like one?”

“Yes, I’d love one. Oh, thank you. We can get it when we go to Diagon Alley.”

After lunch, they had a wizarding chess tournament in which Ron won with flying colors. The week passed uneventfully until Wednesday night when Mrs. Weasley announced over dinner that Mr. Weasley and Bill had got the day off and they would all be going to Diagon Alley to get their school things. After dinner, they all went into the living room where Ron took Harry into the corner. There they whispered back and forth for about half an hour. When Fred started a game of Exploding Snap, they both rejoined the group.

“What are you two up to?” Hermione asked promptly on their return.

“Nothing, why would you think that?” Ron asked, turning slightly red.

“Honestly Ron, do I look that dumb to you?”

“Yes… I mean no… I mean we aren’t up to anything,” Ron said quickly.

“Really, it’s nothing Hermione,” Harry added, trying to revive Ron’s failed attempt at subtleness.

“Alright,” said Hermione, resigned to not getting anything out of them, but not giving up on finding out whatever it was.

The next day, they all woke up early to get a start on shopping in order get home before night fell. Diagon Alley was busier than the year before, but not really all that crowded. The people were grim and unsmiling. They all rushed around avoiding conversation. It seemed as though they were all afraid that if they spoke too loudly someone would hear them and come after them. It reminded Hermione of the looming threat of Voldemort like an ice cold bath on a hot July day. It seemed that being at the Burrow had been like a buffer from the truth, like it had almost made her forget. Mrs. Weasley led them to Flourish and Blotts’ to buy their text books. The store offered no relief from the quiet hush that seemed to pervade every person. They quickly gathered the books from their lists and bustled off to get the rest of their supplies. The potions supply store was extremely busy, but if Hermione had closed her eyes she may have thought it to be empty. Every store they entered held the same uneasy mood. Everyone was glad when the lists had been finished and they could head over to Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. When they got there, Hermione and Ginny went to ask if Mrs. Weasley would take them to Madam Malkin’s to look at dress robes, but saw that Mr. Weasley and Bill were already on their way out followed by…

“Harry and Ron?”

“What about them?” asked Ginny, wondering why they had stopped.

“They just walked out the door,” Hermione continued.

“Why?”

“I don’t know. Mrs. Weasley, where are Ron and Harry going?”

“Oh, nowhere. They wanted to go to… umm… Quality Quidditch Supplies that’s all,” Mrs. Weasley answered. She continued, more trying to convince herself than Ginny and Hermione, “I didn’t really want to let them go, but we should be safe here and they do have two adult wizards.”

“But we were wondering if you could take us to Madam Malkin’s. We wanted to look at dress robes,“ Ginny asked in the most innocent, sweet voice she could.

“Not now, we’ll have to wait until your father and Bill get back.”

“Ahh, come on Mum.”

“No!”

“We can still go when they get back, I guess,” Ginny said, turning to Hermione. “I just wish they would have taken me with them. I’ve been meaning to look at some new brooms.”

“I’m not sure that’s where they went. Your mum had to think about it before she answered.”

“Well, I don’t know, but I hope they hurry.”

Ginny went off to look through the store, but Hermione went instead to look for Fred. Finally, she found him stacking a pile a Skiving Snackboxes.

“Hey there, Hermione.”

“Hi, I just came over to make sure you were doing ok. I haven’t really had a chance to talk to you since Sunday night.”

“Yeah, I’m fine. But don’t think I won’t still write you, because I will.”

“That’s good. I’ll expect it,” she said smiling as she wandered off to look for any new products that may have come out since she had last been here. She and Ginny continued to look through the shop until Mr. Weasley, Bill, Ron, and Harry finally got back.

“What took so long?” Ginny asked as she walked up to Ron. “What was so interesting that it took an hour to see it all? It was only Quidditch gear, even I wouldn’t be that interested.”

“What are you talking about… oww… what was that for?” Ron said thickly as Harry elbowed him in the side.

“Oh yeah, there was a lot of new stuff in there. We lost track of time,” he added.

“Yeah, ok,” Ginny said skeptically. Knowing she could grill them later, she led the way excitedly over to get Mrs. Weasley, who was already grabbing Mr. Weasley to go with them. The girls got her and they walked out the door and down the street to Madam Malkin’s.

When they walked in they were greeted immediately by Madam Malkin, who ushered them in graciously and led them to a room Hermione had never been to, having only come here for school robes and looked through the room of pre-made dress robes before. It was a big room with stacks of fabrics of all colors and patterns against the walls that reached all the way to the ceiling. In the middle of the room stood a round pedestal.

“Whichever of you wants to go first, please just step right up here and we’ll get started.” So, after some urging from Hermione, Ginny stepped up while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Hermione sat in three chairs Madam Malkin conjured for them.

“Let me see. Nice figure, beautiful red hair, brown eyes. Hmmm…” she said appraisingly. Then, she turned and flicked her wand a few times and fourteen or so fabrics flew down and stacked themselves up beside the pedestal.

“Do you like any of these, dear?”

Ginny picked them up and looked at them. There was satin red one, a velvet of deep purple, and a chenille of hunter green. But Ginny picked a light green and lilac, while Mrs. Weasley added a glittering gold one.

“Wonderful choices dear. Let me get a few measurements,” Madam Malkin said as she flicked her wand causing the fabrics to fly back to their places and a measuring tape to spring to life to take measurements as Madam Malkin asked Ginny some questions.

“So, do you have anyone in particular you’re wanting to impress with this dress?”

Ginny blushed and shook her head.

“Well, is it for night or day wear?”

“Night, I think,” said Ginny shrugging.

“And what about… oh stop,” she said, interrupting herself to stop her measuring tape. “Oh well, lets see what we can do.” Then, with a swish of her wand the fabrics flew up and arranged themselves in a rough form of a dress robe, but still clearly very beautiful.

“How’s this?” Madam Malkin asked inquisitively, flicking her wand to slide a tall golden scrolling mirror in front of Ginny.

“It’s beautiful, but I think it’s not quite there,” Ginny said, turning to look at all angles of the robe in the mirror.

“Let’s see then, are you sure there is no one who interests you at all? It makes a difference in what dress robe will best suit you. Really, it does,” Madam Malkin said with a slight twinkle in her eye. She swished her wand again and the fabrics flew up and rearranged themselves and formed a new and even more beautiful dress robe. It had a fluid skirt that fluttered out at the bottom as though blown by a slight breeze. The gold had become sheer and formed the top layer that came tight at her waist and followed the skirt down.

“What about now?” she asked.

“Yes, it’s gorgeous. I love it.”

“I thought so, and I will dare to guess that he has green eyes. Am I right?”

“Who has green eyes?”

“The young man whom you’d most like to impress with this dress.”

Ginny blushed as red as her hair as Madam Malkin began to pin the robe in place. After a while, it was pinned all in place and Ginny had switched spots with Hermione, who was now the one being appraised by Madam Malkin.

“Good figure, beautiful smile, brown hair and eyes. Yes, yes, lets see…” With a swish of her wand about twelve bolts came floating down from the walls. There were many different colors, like a maroon, navy, and a light pink fabric, but Hermione, Ginny, and Mrs. Weasley chose a red iridescent, a deep black, and a silver one. She inquired the same questions of Hermione as Ginny with the same results.

“Let’s get started.” She flicked her wand and the material came to life. It took several tries before Hermione had the one she really loved. It was red and gathered off center at the waist and then the red cloth tapered back where you could see the silver fabric shining magically underneath the red and the whole skirt draped down loosely around her legs, while the black was used as accents.

Soon, both dresses where finished and paid for, and the girls were walking back to Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. When they got there Ginny and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were still thanking Hermione profusely for her generous gift. The boys met them at the door complaining that if they didn’t eat soon they would surely die. So the troop went through to the shop’s fireplace back to the Burrow where Mrs. Weasley immediately began supper.

Once everyone got home from work, they all ate dinner and talked about all the shops they had been to, and although Ginny tried to look reluctant when Fleur insisted that Ginny and Hermione come show them their new dress robes, she couldn’t hide the fact that she had been waiting for someone to ask since she got home. Both girls got up and proceeded upstairs, followed closely by Fleur, who had volunteered to quickly fix their hair. In about five minutes, all three girls walked back into the living room to oohs and ahs from everyone. And though they tried, Harry and Ron couldn’t hide their sudden blank stares at seeing Hermione and Ginny like that. They looked like two boys taken off guard by a Veela.

“Stick you tongues back in your mouths boys,” George said, laughing.

“This happens to most girls their age. It’s not abnormal,” Fred continued.

“Now you on the other hand Ron, you could try a bit harder,” George finished.

Hermione couldn’t help noticing that Ron’s eyes never left her and found herself blushing, then realized Ron was blushing too.

“Well, since we’re staying tonight, I’m off to bed,” said Fred abruptly. “Work tomorrow, you know.”

“Yeah, I think I’ll turn in as well,” Hermione said. And soon everyone was headed up the stairs to their beds.

The next day everyone woke up near the same time, making breakfast rather chaotic. Everyone was in the kitchen eating and preparing to go to work. Soon, though, they were gone, leaving Mrs. Weasley, Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione in the kitchen.

“So, what are you lot planning on doing today?” Mrs. Weasley asked curiously.

“Well…” said Harry turning to look questioningly at Ron

“We’ll probably go out and play Quidditch in the garden.”

“And what about you two?” she said, switching over to Hermione and Ginny.

“We’ll just go out with them,” Ginny answered, while Hermione nodded in agreement.

“Excellent, well as long as you know what you’re doing, you better clear out while I clean the house.”

So, the foursome headed outside after grabbing some brooms. All four were soon in the air tossing a Quaffle among themselves. Soon though, Hermione and Ginny landed to drink some pumpkin juice Mrs. Weasley had brought out for them. As they sat there enjoying their drinks, they watched the boys becoming more daring as they made increasingly dangerous flips and dives. Seeing this, the girls decided not to rejoin them, but instead to watch from their seats. Before long, the tricks became so scary that Hermione and Ginny let out quiet shrieks as the tricks began and sighs of relief as they ended. Finally, after one death defying trick, Hermione became so scared she attempted to summon the boys brooms while the boys were still riding close to the ground. However the boys didn’t not fall to the ground, but both Harry and Ron came flying at Hermione and Ginny. Crash! All were lying in a heap on the ground. Ron next to Hermione, Ginny underneath, and Harry on her legs. Angry at them for holding on to their brooms, she yelled threats of disapproval and disembowelment as loud as she could at the boys. She quit yelling and stared at Ron with a very ‘Mrs. Weasley’-ish look. There was an explosion of laughter from Ginny, Harry, and Ron.

“What’s so funny?” she said, then realized what all had happened and joined the laughter. Soon her neck and sides began to ache and she rested her head on Ron’s shoulder. This surprised Ron so much that he jumped and kneed Harry in the ribs.

“Gerroff,” Harry yelled in a pained, but still amused voice. Still laughing, they got up brushing the dirt off themselves. Walking over to her seat, Ginny reached for the pumpkin juice and offered some to Harry and Ron. As they sat down to drink their pumpkin juice, Hermione leaned over to talk to Ron.

“Why did you start like that just then?”

“Start what, exactly?” Ron answered getting nervous.

“Ron, you know what I mean. Why did you get startled?”

“Oh, that yeah, I saw a… umm… spider,” said Ron before getting up.

Hermione gave him a skeptical look as he leaned over to grab his broom from the ground. He kicked up off the ground, followed closely by Harry.

At dinner that night, Hermione couldn’t help noticing that every time she looked at Ron he was staring at her. Apparently she wasn’t the only on who noticed though, as Ginny kept nudging her and whispering things like, “I wonder if he’s stuck like that” or “Are you sure you’re just friends?” And although she just kept pushing the comments aside, she hoped he was staring at her and not just dazing off.

The next day was pretty much the same, with Ron still acting very peculiar. Sunday morning everyone slept in. When everyone was finally up, it was half way through the morning. They spent the rest of the morning in a fiery game of Quidditch with the twins and Harry against Bill, Ron, and Ginny, as Fleur and Hermione watched from below. After the game, both sides had a rousing fight of who actually won, because, although she was supposed to be keeping score, Fleur lost count saying, in the airiest voice humanly possible, “I’m zorry, but zee Quidditch es zo boring.”

After lunch, Mrs. Weasley sent them up to pack and get any clothes that needed washed before they returned to Hogwarts. When Hermione was packed and was waiting on Ginny to finish, Ron and Harry came in and flopped themselves on to the bed.

“Well, it’s about time you actually talked to us,” Ginny said, “instead of wheezing at us with a dazed look. I was wondering when you’d pluck up the courage to speak to us again. You’re actually ahead of how long I thought it would take you.”

“Oh, Ginny stop being over dramatic,” Ron retorted. “We were just… umm… busy.”

“I’m sure Ron,” said Hermione. “Both of you just remember, Ginny and I are people whom you talk to, not things to be gawped at.”

“I don’t know what you mean, Hermione,” Harry interjected.

“Actually, Hermione, I was wondering if I could have a private word with you,” Ron stammered, beginning to turn red.

“Alright,” Hermione said casually as she followed Ron out of Ginny’s room. He led her down the stairs and out into the back garden.

“What is it, Ron?”

“Well, I wanted to explain the reason why I’ve been acting a little distant.”

“It’s ok, really, Ginny and I were just…”

“No, let me finish before I lose my nerve,” Ron said before gulping and turning an even deeper red. He breathed in deeply as he wrung his hands.

“Well, you know that you and I are mates right? Well, lately I been thinking and also feeling that maybe, if you wanted, you would maybe like to be my girlfriend,” he ended lamely.

Hermione was shocked. She had known Ron kind of liked her, but had no idea this was coming. She thought for a second, What if he finds out he doesn’t really like me? What if we break up and we aren’t friends anymore? She considered all the questions as quickly as she could and didn’t come to any conclusion. Then, she thought about how she felt, she decided to ignore her head for once and listen to her heart.

“Yes,” she said, maybe a little to enthusiastically because her voice cracked. “Yes, Ron I will,” she reiterated, to assure him. Then, she looked over at him, still surprised at her own nerve, and laughed at the equally gobsmacked look on Ron’s face.

“Really?” asked Ron, still questioning. But seeing the reassuring look in Hermione’s eye, he took her hand and said, “We better get back inside.” They walked back together to the house and upstairs to Ginny’s room.

“So, what did she say?” asked Ginny and Harry as they entered the room.

“She said yes,” Ron said, almost laughing at Hermione’s indignant look.

“You mean you both knew about this, Ginny? And you didn’t even warn me?”

“Warn you! Like I’m some kind of punishment inflicted on bad little children,” Ron observed, still amused at the look on Hermione’s face.

“Now that you put it that way, I should have warned her,” teased Ginny laughing.

They spent the rest of the afternoon in the living room using their last day of freedom to talk and play games. First, Fred played Ron at Gobstones and beat him viciously. Then, Bill played a game of wizarding chess against Harry, beating him, but the game was pretty close. There were a few more games and other mischief. After a while, they all went in to dinner, which was loud and cheerful. Fred and George were picking on Ron, and Mrs. Weasley yelled at them, “ Stop it. You’re just jealous. I don’t see either of you with a girl as nice as Hermione.”

Which to Hermione, was worse than Fred and George. Fleur was fawning over Hermione saying how she was so happy for her and such. Dinner only ended when Mrs. Weasley insisted that they go double check their trunks to make sure everything was packed.

The next morning was terribly hectic. All the Weasleys were escorting them to the Hogwarts express, so they had to have extra room. Breakfast was crowded and very quick. Everyone made last minute checks to make sure they had everything. The cars the Ministry was providing arrived, and the trunks were taken and loaded into the cars. Finally, when everyone was sure that they hadn’t forgotten anything, they all climbed in the cars and were off to King’s Cross.

The ride seemed to fly by as the car magically moved to the front of every line and they were there in no time. They unloaded their trunks and pushed their trolleys to Platforms Nine and Ten. They divided into pairs and moved through the wall to Platform 9 ¾. When everyone finally got on the platform they all said some last hurried goodbyes. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny went to board the train. Then, just as Hermione was about to board, she heard her name. She turned around to see who it was and saw Fred running toward her.

“Hermione!”

“Yes, what is it? Hurry, the train’s about to leave.”

“I… I…” he stuttered, “I was just making sure it was still ok to write you. I would have asked you earlier, but I didn’t want to in front of Ron and them. I don‘t want them to know about that incident, you know.”

“Yeah, you can still write me,” Hermione assured him. Why wouldn’t he be able to write her? She didn’t know why he didn’t ask in front of the others or want them to know that he would be writing her.

“Thanks, bye then. We’ll miss you,” he waved, smiling, but his smile faltered. He just hadn’t been acting normal lately. Hermione didn’t know why, but hoped that writing to her would help him.

“Miss you too. Bye.” And she stepped onto the train.

As it started to pull away, Hermione hung out the door and waved at the Weasleys until they disappeared around the corner. She turned and went to find the prefect compartment. She had a feeling this year would be like no other, and felt some part of her had left something behind on the platform with the smiling Weasleys and that last week of freedom.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=62339