We Need All the Allies We Can Get by Cinderella Angelina
Summary: When Susan Bones meets Percy Weasley, she is not impressed -- especially not by the way he tries to use her. However, she believes in second chances, and in this troubled time they need all the allies they can get -- especially their families. Can Susan convince Percy of this?
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 5853 Read: 13245 Published: 01/08/07 Updated: 01/19/07

1. A Little Too Familiar by Cinderella Angelina

2. Try Again by Cinderella Angelina

3. Persuasion by Cinderella Angelina

4. Stalling by Cinderella Angelina

5. The Best Christmas Present by Cinderella Angelina

A Little Too Familiar by Cinderella Angelina
Author's Notes:
Written for SPEW 007, prompt "Seven." It only took me 5 chapters to get to it...
*-*-*
The Ministry was unused to its employees dying off suddenly. Usually they gave their notice and oversaw the packing and cleaning of their offices themselves. So when Amelia Bones went and got herself murdered, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement found themselves without a head and an office that would need to be emptied when they did find a new leader.

Everyone was far too busy to clean the office themselves now that Lord Voldemort was back, so they sent a letter by owl post to the next-of-kin, requesting that they take care of their deceased relative’s belongings at the first convenient opportunity, please and thank you.

When the Bones family received the letter, it only took one look at her parents for Susan to see that she would be the one sent to take care of it “ she was out of school for the summer and had little better to do, while her mum and dad were at the end of their ropes at work. She didn’t mind, really “ she’d visited her auntie a few times at the Ministry and knew how it worked.

It was a little trickier than usual to get through the visitors’ entrance and security, but Susan supposed that was only natural. The suspicious glances directed at her as she stepped on the lift were to be expected too, though all those craning necks to see what purpose her visitor’s badge stated made her blush.

Amelia Bones’ office looked much the same as it always did “ perhaps a couple people had come in and riffled papers around, but it seemed to Susan that her aunt could walk in at any moment, sit down in that big leather chair, and offer her a peppermint.

Susan took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Where should I start?” she murmured. After a moment’s hesitation, she began with the bookcases, glad that her mum had at least been able to arrange for several boxes to be sent to the office.

An hour and a half later, Susan was distracted from sorting her papers by a knock on the open door. She looked up and saw a tall, red-haired, bespectacled young man walk in, nimbly avoiding the stacked boxes.

“Hello,” he said, extending his hand. Susan hurriedly stood up to shake it. “Just thought I’d stop by and tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Madam Bones was a great woman, and we will miss her greatly around here.”

“Thank you,” Susan replied automatically, trying not to think about how she looked. She’d cried a little at the start (especially when she found a picture of herself and her aunt together), but had since gotten engrossed in her work. Her nose might still be red, though, and she knew her hair was unsightly.

“I’m Percy Weasley,” the young man introduced himself, and Susan remembered why he looked so familiar.

“You were Head Boy,” she remarked, tucking a wayward strand of hair behind her ear. She didn’t say she also knew him in context of his brothers “ somehow, given events of the last year, she didn’t think he’d appreciate being reminded of his family.

He looked pleased that she remembered. “Ah, yes, good old Hogwarts. You’re next of kin, then?”

“Yes, I’m her niece, Susan,” she replied. “My parents couldn’t make it so I volunteered to help, since I have nothing to do with school not in session. It’s actually been quite interesting,” she added, gesturing to the four stacks of paper surrounding her.

“It’s good of you to come do this,” Percy said. “We’re all so busy here at the Ministry. You and your aunt were close?”

Her nose must still be red. “Yes, we were.”

Percy glanced at his watch then leaned casually against the desk. “So you’re still at Hogwarts?” he said. “What year are you?”

“I’ll be in my sixth year once school starts,” Susan replied.

“Ah! So you know Harry Potter?”

Susan noticed that he didn’t ask about his brother Ron. “Yes, we were “ ” she was about to say they were in the DA together, then remembered the rumors that Percy had actually been there at Dumbledore’s arrest “ “we were classmates. Are classmates, I suppose.”

“Excellent, excellent,” Percy said. “Well, I’ve got to run “ got a meeting with Scrimgeour at the moment “ but it was lovely to meet you, Susan. We shall have to keep in touch,” he said earnestly, shaking her hand once more.

“See you later,” Susan said inanely as he strode quickly out the door. She knelt back down inside her circle of papers and continued sorting, pondering on what a strange exchange that had been.

True to his word, Percy Weasley did try to keep in touch “ a few days later, Susan received a letter from him, saying how nice it had been to meet her and that he’d love to hear all the Hogwarts news if she ever got a chance.

Mindful of his role as Ministry lackey and Umbridge supporter the past year, Susan didn’t send a reply. She saw through his transparent friendliness and could tell that he was fishing for information about goings-on at Hogwarts. It annoyed her that he thought their one meeting gave him license to use her like this. She threw the letter in the fire.
Try Again by Cinderella Angelina
Author's Notes:
This chapter makes reference to another of my fics, "Aspiration," that I didn't notice until just now. It's only a glancing allusion, though. You shouldn't be too confused.
*~*
It was a solemn day. Susan didn’t suppose that Dumbledore’s funeral could be anything but solemn, but it oppressed her spirits. She didn’t want to think. Would the school close? Would Voldemort attack the rest of her family? Dumbledore’s death made the whole world feel so unsafe.

The year had been long and hard enough, Susan thought, without this. Even without N.E.W.T. Potions she had a full schedule of difficult classes and ever since Justin Finch-Fletchley and Sally-Anne Perks had started going out she’d not had much of a social life either. And now Dumbledore was dead.

Susan sat two rows behind the Ministry delegation during the funeral and was pleased to see that even if most of the important people present didn’t seem to be too terribly upset at Dumbledore’s demise, Percy Weasley’s face was set like a stone, still not hiding the occasional quiver of his chin. She’d thought once or twice about the letter he’d sent her, without regret that she’d burned it. Perhaps, though, things had changed. Susan determined to go up and speak with him after the funeral “ she didn’t know how polite she would manage to be, but Aunt Amelia had taught her some diplomacy tricks.

However, as soon as the funeral ended, Percy detached himself from his colleagues and approached her first.

“Hello Susan,” he said, and Susan thought irrationally how he kept meeting her when her nose was red from crying.

“Hello,” she replied, shaking his offered hand. “And how is work at the Ministry these days?”

“Much the same as ever,” Percy said. “Did you have a good school year?”

“N.E.W.T. classes,” she replied with a shrug. “Nothing much more exciting than that.”

“Oh, I see.” He adjusted his glasses. “Did you ever get my letter? I sent it almost a year ago.”

“Yes,” Susan said. This was the delicate part. “I...wasn’t amenable to being your informant within Hogwarts, you see. I didn’t want to spy on Harry or Dumbledore and I didn’t like that you thought I would.” She’d tried to keep her voice neutral, the way her auntie had taught her, but some of her annoyance crept through nonetheless.

“I see,” Percy said, flustered. “Well, I think you may not have understood me “ ”

“Do you?” Susan said. “Then I’m sorry that I so misjudged your character for a whole year. Why didn’t you just ask your brother for the information you wanted?”

Percy flushed.

“I thought so.” Susan sighed. She hadn’t wanted to get angry, not today on top of everything else. “Percy, my aunt once praised your work ethic and I was impressed with you as Head Boy. I wouldn’t mind getting to know you if you would please try not to take advantage of me.”

Percy took a deep breath, now clearly offended, but Susan overrode him again.

“This is a time when we need all the allies we can get,” she said, tears inexplicably pricking her eyes. “I’m willing to overlook your rudeness in writing me such a letter if you’re willing to overlook mine in ignoring it. I really must go now, but keep in touch!” She put out her hand to shake and Percy automatically shook it, even though when he realized what he was doing he quickly removed his hand from her grasp and stalked away.

Susan turned to Justin and Sally-Anne, who were staring at her from their seats in the next row over.

“Was that Percy Weasley?” Justin said, a look of distaste on his face. “I didn’t know you knew him.”

“Not really,” Susan admitted. The tears that had been pricking at her eyes threatened to fall any moment. “Oh, let’s go get a seat on the train. I can’t stand to be here another minute!”

And with that uncharacteristic outburst, she led her friends right past the Ministry delegation without looking at Percy “ she knew if she did, she would begin to cry.

The summer, which had started off to such a poor start, didn’t get any better. Susan’s parents were both working eighteen hours a day trying to keep their workplaces safe and functioning and they wouldn’t let her out of the house without a twenty-minute interrogation about where she was going, what route she was taking, what defensive spells she had ready, and how long, to the minute, until they could expect her back. She figured she might as well stay home and read the lessons she would have been taking if Hogwarts were still open.

“There’s still a chance, honey,” her mother would say every time she passed by to check on her wellbeing. “Hogwarts could still be open.”

“Then I’m just getting ahead,” Susan would reply absently, practicing the wand movements for difficult charms. “No harm in that.”

However, it seemed to Susan that she was in for the worst summer of her life. Then a letter came. After her parents (both of them, at different times) had performed all the curse-checks they could think of, she got hold of it. It was from Percy Weasley.

Dear Susan,

I was very angry about what you said to me at the funeral, but you were right. I was using you for inside information about Hogwarts. I’m impressed by your astute observation, though a little chagrined as well. I had thought I was being subtle.

I’ve had time to think about what you said, though, and I’ve decided you are also right that we need all the allies we can get. So, I’d like to begin again with you. How has your summer been? Have you been keeping up on your studies? Is there a chance I could meet you for lunch sometime in order to fully apologize? Perhaps at the Ministry café, where security is so stringent there’s no doubt we’re who we say we are?

I hope you can forgive my abominable behavior toward you. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Percy Weasley
Junior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic


Susan read the letter through three times in succession. He seemed honest enough, and she was flattered by his compliments. Perhaps things had changed like she’d hoped they would. She got out a fresh piece of parchment and wrote out a reply. Yes, she would love to meet him for lunch at his first convenient opportunity, please and thank you.
Persuasion by Cinderella Angelina
Author's Notes:
This is the chapter where I at least use the word "seven."
][][][][
Susan placed the latest letter from Percy on top of the ever-growing stack of their correspondence. He wasn’t immediately likable, she mused, but he was definitely starting to grow on her.

She grinned as she remembered that first lunch. It had been more awkward than Susan had expected, not least because he stared like an idiot when he saw her.

“You look nice,” he’d blurted before pushing in her chair for her. Susan realized he’d never seen her except when she’d been crying.

Conversation after that was stilted. Percy was proud, and admitting that he was at all in the wrong went against his nature. However, he choked out his apology and was solicitous in inquiring after Susan’s life after that, seemingly determined not to let an awkward silence fall. It was awkward enough despite his efforts, especially when he repeatedly blew off all of Susan’s attempts to make similar inquiries into his life. He did insist on paying for both of their meals, though, which Susan thought was a nice touch.

“I’m glad we have taken care of our disagreement,” Susan said as he walked her toward the exit. “Life is too short to hold a grudge.”

Percy had gone oddly red at that and Susan remembered the look on Ron’s face whenever he saw him. Apparently, he still hadn’t reconciled with his family.

“I shall speak to you again soon, Miss Bones,” Percy had said formally, and indeed a letter had arrived from him the very next day, full of amusing little anecdotes about Ministry life.

Several months had passed since then. Professor McGonagall had announced the reopening of Hogwarts and Susan had been studying for her N.E.W.T.s at the end of the year just like any normal seventh year. But this year was not in the least normal. Dour-faced guards stood in on every lesson and escorted them to their common rooms. It reminded Susan of that time in second year when the Chamber of Secrets monster was loose. It wasn’t a pleasant reminder.

However, the dreariness of the year was brightened by frequent correspondence with Percy. She regaled him with funny stories from her childhood, from her time at Hogwarts, and various musings she had about missing socks and perception of color. It took time, but eventually Percy began telling her about growing up in his family: all the scrapes they would get into, cute things his sister used to do, and how he used to look up to his big brothers; never, though, about what had happened. It was as if his family had disappeared two years ago. Susan could tell that he missed them terribly and, in seeing that, began to fall for the person he might be if he had his family back.

They’d met for lunch a few more times “ Susan had gotten permission from Professor Sprout (who had cleared it with McGonagall) to have him come over to Hogwarts some Saturdays like some parents had begun to do, since Hogsmeade visits had been canceled. The house-elves would set up a little room for just the two of them and they would talk “ mostly about Susan’s studies, for Percy still remembered his N.E.W.T. classes and was glad to give her hints. Sometimes they talked about other things, too, important things like the meaning of life, and Susan began falling for the person she sometimes saw behind his eyes.

“I really will pester him about his family today,” Susan told herself, checking her hair in the mirror. “It’s almost Christmas. He can’t go another Christmas without being part of them again.”

With that determination, she went to the entrance hall; it was almost lunchtime, and she had a stubborn git to persuade.

Percy was already waiting for her, standing uneasily by Filch, who had to escort all visitors personally (with a few guards along as well). “Hello, Miss Bones,” he said, his eyes lighting up when he saw her.

“Why hello, Mr. Weasley,” she replied, offering her hand to shake. “What a pleasure to have you join me.”

“The pleasure is all mine,” Percy replied gallantly, twirling his wand and Conjuring a bouquet of flowers. “For you, m-madam.”

It wasn’t like him to stutter, so Susan turned and caught the eye of Ginny Weasley, who looked shocked and not a little angry to see her brother standing in the entrance hall. She turned around sharply and ran back upstairs. Susan gave Percy a sharp stare.

“May we discuss something?” she said sweetly, her voice belying the look in her eye.

“Anything you like,” Percy said, suddenly a little nervous.

“Then let us proceed to our dining room,” Susan said, and Percy put out his arm for her to take.

“So,” Percy said once he’d deposited her in her chair with a rather businesslike flourish, “what did you want to talk about?”

Susan busied herself in arranging her bouquet, working up the courage to say what she needed to. Finally, she looked up at him. “Your family.”

It was discouraging to see the way his eyes hardened, but she pressed on.

“Look, you miss them, and they miss you! You’re doing no one any good being estranged like this!”

“If they miss me so much, how come last Christmas I left with mashed parsnip on my face?” Percy retorted, trying to keep his voice steady despite his reddening ears.

Susan blinked and tried not to smile at the image. “Perhaps things have changed,” she said quietly, remembering her thoughts at Dumbledore’s funeral. Impulsively, she grabbed Percy’s hand. “Oh, Percy, don’t you remember what I said? We need as many allies as we can get! Can’t you see that your family is the best ally you can have?”

Percy’s hand stiffened for a moment as if he were going to pull it away. He glowered at her. “You don’t understand,” he muttered.

“I think I understand very well, thank you,” Susan replied. “You’re going to reconcile with your family or I will refuse to speak to you!” Immature, yes, but it might work, she thought. She pulled her hand away.

“No!” Percy said, a little too quickly. “No, I’m not going to lose you as an ally.” He grabbed her hand back and squeezed it tight. “All right, I’ll do it. Just give me time.”

“By Christmas,” Susan told him. “It’s the best time to be with your family.”

“Last Christmas didn’t go so well,” he said, scowling.

“Were you trying?” Susan persisted.

“No,” Percy admitted, rubbing his nose. “I was there with Scrimgeour.”

“Tuh,” Susan said. She knew what that meant.

“Will you come with me?”

“What?”

“I can’t do this alone. Will you come with me?”

“So you’re saying I’m a better companion than the Minister of Magic,” Susan began wickedly, before the look in Percy’s eyes stopped her. “You really want me to come?”

“Yes, dash it!” He pounded his fist on the table.

“All right, all right!” Susan said before he got really angry. “I’ll come! Let me get permission from my parents first. I don’t know how they’ll feel about me being in a house with six Weasleys.”

“Six?” Percy said absently. “No, there are seven of us. Nine counting my parents, I suppose.”

“Seven? Really?” Susan was completely sidetracked. “I didn’t know there were that many of you.”

“Yes, really,” Percy said. “Bill, Charlie, me, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny. Surely you knew that.”

“I guess I never bothered to count before,” Susan mused. Percy laughed at her. “Well, it’s not like I have any siblings for you to keep track of! You have no right to make fun of me until you have to deal with it yourself.”

“All right, Susan, that’s fair,” Percy said, still chuckling. “Well, shall we eat?”
Stalling by Cinderella Angelina
Author's Notes:
Now might be a good time to mention that this story is slightly AU from my other Susan work. I also intended it to be just four chapters long, but Percy didn't want to hurry along to his family. Can you blame him?
***
The Hogwarts Express was a much less cheery place than it had been in the past. Every compartment had its own special bodyguard and their presence discouraged any chatting that might have taken place “ should have taken place, Susan thought. Coming home for Christmas had always been a signal for merry-making, catching the trolley lady under mistletoe, and laughter throughout the train.

Ginny Weasley passed by Susan’s compartment door and gave her a tight little smile through the glass. Susan sighed. It was hard to know what Ginny was thinking, especially after she’d approached Susan a few days after her lunch with Percy.

“Hello,” Ginny had said stiffly.

“Hi, Ginny,” Susan replied, her friendly smile faltering at Ginny’s stony expression. “How have your classes been going this term?”

“Well enough,” Ginny said. She twirled a piece of hair around her fingers. “Hey, Susan, you’re a nice girl,” she blurted, blushing.

“Why, thanks,” Susan began, surprised. “I’ve always rather liked you myse “ ”

“Which is why I thought I should warn you about my brother Percy,” Ginny interrupted.

Susan squared her shoulders. “You mean, how he’s a prat and stubborn and thinks rising through the ranks of the Ministry is the meaning of life at the expense of everyone, including his family “ and, you worry, me as well?”

Ginny looked very taken aback. “Something like that,” she said. “I “ I’m glad that you’re so aware of his faults.”

Susan smiled. “I paid attention. You see, Ginny, he tried to use me for inside information at Hogwarts. Didn’t take him long to realize he’d misjudged my character “ and I had his down too well. Confidentially, I think he’s a little scared of me now.”

Ginny grinned at the thought. “You’re just saying that so I don’t worry about you in the clutches of my evil brother.”

“Perhaps,” Susan allowed, “but we’ve both come to understand that this is a time when we need all the allies we can get. Don’t you agree?”

Strangely enough, Ginny’s eyes filled with tears. “Yes,” she said softly, and Susan saw how much she missed Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who hadn’t come back to Hogwarts this year. “Well, just thought I’d warn you.” She turned and left before Susan had a chance to say anything else.

The Hogwarts Express was nearing London now. Susan gathered her thoughts and her belongings and prepared to disembark. In his last letter, Percy had told her that he would come pick her up at Kings Cross, but hinted that he would be a little late. Susan had surmised that he didn’t want to risk meeting his family at the station before he was prepared.

After about half an hour, he finally showed up.

“You look cold,” he said, taking her traveling bag.

Susan glared at him. “Did you have to wait quite so long? Mr. Weasley picked Ginny up as soon as she got off the train. I’ve been waiting ages.”

“Dreadfully sorry, Miss Bones,” he said, not sounding sorry at all. “Would you care to stop for dinner? Whether you want to or not, you need the warming up.”

“Very well, then. And straight to the Burrow after that?”

Percy blushed and looked away. “I was thinking, maybe tomorrow...”

“Good heavens, what did Scrimgeour do to get you to come with him?” Susan exclaimed, exasperated. “Did it occur to you that I have nowhere to stay? Well, I can always go home, but frankly, Mr. Weasley, I don’t trust you to come pick me up when you are ready. No, we’re going directly after dinner.”

Percy huffed at her, then started to smile. “Susan, I cannot explain to you how happy I am to have you here with me. He shifted her bag to his other hand so he could grasp hers. “We’ll go after dinner.”

Susan had expected more of a fight, but was too pleased at the sensation of her hand in his to say anything. This was different from her impulsive grab at his hand at their lunch “ then she’d been so overcome with her determination she hadn’t felt any of these exciting sparks. She couldn’t quite catch her breath and she was not even cold anymore.

Dinner was interesting. Percy was too nervous to eat much, something that may not have been helped by Susan’s constant suggestions.

“You will probably get angry when you’re face-to-face with all of them again. You just have to keep in mind your goal here “ to become reunited with the family you love. Try not to get defensive “ you’re completely in the wrong here, and you should probably admit that. Look at them in the eye, that way they’ll know you’re sincere. For heaven’s sake, don’t stand there like a poker!”

“Susan!” Percy said finally, pinching his nose right above his glasses. “Please, let’s either talk about something else or not talk at all.”

Susan blinked, then realized that he was more nervous than she’d realized. “So Professor Flitwick did something really interesting in Charms the other day. He had two of us stand up and then made us switch voices. It was so funny when Lavender started speaking with Ernie’s voice!” While telling this anecdote, she watched him carefully and was glad to see some of the tension in his face ease; he even took a bite of his food.

“Are you ready?” she asked softly when her plate was clear and his food was thoroughly pushed around.

“No,” he said. “Are you sure we can’t wait till tomorrow?”

Susan stood up and put out her hand to pull him up. “We’re going now.” She threw a Galleon and some Sickles on the table and heaved at Percy. “Keep the change,” she told the waiter as she hustled Percy out of the room.

“You wouldn’t know, to look at you, that you were this bossy,” Percy muttered at Susan. “I thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to be nice and, you know, easily led.”

“You were misinformed,” Susan told him, squeezing his hand. “Can you Side-Along? I passed my Apparition test, but I have splinched myself before and would prefer not to if I don’t have to.”

“Sure,” Percy said. “It’ll work even better if you get closer to me.” Susan sidled nearer. “No, not like that.” He detached his hand from hers and drew her into his arms. “Hold tight.”

Susan hung on with all her might “ she’d Side-Alonged with her mum before and didn’t remember having to do this, but she didn’t mind. There was a squeeze and a pop and Percy slowly began to release her.

“I would have hugged you if you’d asked,” Susan informed him gently.

Percy half smiled and kept his arms around her for another moment before finally releasing her. “I prefer to do things more subtly than that, Miss Bones. Besides, I ... I needed the support. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”

“Then it is all the more important that you do it. I promise that, no matter what happens, I’ll still be your ally.”

“Your ally?” Percy snorted. “Yes, since that’s all I think of you as.” He leaned forward.

“Stop stalling,” Susan said, turning her face away quickly. “Come on, now. Look, all the lights are on!” She started off toward the Burrow and Percy quickly caught up and hung onto her hand like a vise.

There was a happy babble of voices coming from the other side of the door. Susan glanced at Percy and saw how pale he looked. She’d have squeezed his hand but her fingers were numb from how tightly he was holding her.

“Well?” she prompted. Percy gulped and knocked on the door.
The Best Christmas Present by Cinderella Angelina
“Remus said he might stop by,” Mrs. Weasley’s voice was heard to say as she approached the door. Susan thought her hand might fall off. The door opened.

“Percy?” Susan could see Mrs. Weasley’s lips form the words, but no sound came out. Through the open door, she could hear Harry saying, “So that’s one step closer to defeating Voldemort. It’s the best Christmas present I can think of.”

“Molly? What’s wrong?” Mr. Weasley came to the door, where his wife was standing stock still, staring at her son. He saw who was on the doorstep and his jaw dropped. “Percy!”

The room beyond hushed instantly. Susan was embarrassed because, unlike his wife, Mr. Weasley seemed more interested in her than in Percy. “Can we come in?” she said shyly.

“Oh! Oh, yes, please do come in!” Mrs. Weasley snapped out of her shock. “Everyone, Percy’s come home again!”

Susan hadn’t expected cheers, but the stony silence made her very uncomfortable. Everyone was staring at her to avoid looking at her companion.

“Is that Susan Bones?” she heard Ron mutter to Hermione, whose hair was much shorter than Susan remembered and rather looked as if it had been singed.

“Mother, I’d like you to meet Susan Bones,” Percy said belatedly. “I made her come with me.”

Susan blushed as everyone’s attention on her sharpened. Stop being so stiff! she wanted to shout. She resorted to quick flick of the hand he held. Percy glanced at her and she made an expressive face at him.

“I, er, made her come with me because I have something important to say,” he said, making an effort to look at all of his family members in the eye. He really did have a lot of brothers, Susan noted, and none of them were looking very friendly.

“Well, say it,” said one of the twins roughly. “We were having a bit of a celebration before you decided to barge in.”

Susan hadn’t thought she could blush more, but she felt heat flooding her face. “Maybe we should’ve waited until tomorrow,” she whispered to Percy.

“You’re not engaged, are you?” Mrs. Weasley said in a very shocked tone.

“No!” Percy said, and let go of Susan’s hand. She rubbed it “ it was white and bloodless. “I wanted to apologize!” he blurted. “I was wrong, I’ve been wrong, and I need to make it right.”

There was another silence, but this one was less unfriendly. Then Mrs. Weasley rushed at Percy with a sob and everyone surged up toward them. Percy was caught in several conversations at once, and Susan was happy to stand by and watch as he hugged his brothers where he would have preferred to shake their hands, trying to reply to all of them at once.

“You know, with all the pain you put your mother through, you’ll have to do a lot of penance. All sorts of cleaning, scrubbing, dusting, cooking “ without magic, of course.”

“How do we know you’re really back this time? Remember last Christmas...”

“I’ve half a mind to scar you to look like me.” (“Bill!” Fleur said disapprovingly.)

“I always hoped you’d come back sometime, son, and this is as good a time as any.”

“Is that all the apology we get? I was looking forward to some groveling.”

“Susan, did you make him come?” This from Ginny, who had sidled up to her unnoticed. “I know he said he made you come, but I can’t help but wonder if it was the other way around.”

“Um, I helped a little,” Susan said. “He was ready, he just needed a little convincing.”

Hermione came up to the two of them, gesturing for Ginny to go talk to Harry, who was hanging back from the crush of Weasleys. “How do you even know Percy, Susan?” she asked. “He’s a bit older than you and I wouldn’t have expected to see you two together.” She narrowed her eyes.

“Well, we met at the Ministry,” Susan said. “He wanted my help on something “ you can probably guess what, knowing him.”

“Inside information,” Hermione said, nodding. “What else?”

“After it became clear that I wasn’t going to give him what he wanted, we gained in mutual understanding, and...” Susan blushed. She thought the fact that Percy had been holding her hand was fairly explanatory of the way their relationship was heading.

“Right,” Hermione said, satisfied. She grabbed Ron, who was still reminding everyone what happened last Christmas, and dragged him away to discuss with him why he should accept Percy back a little less grudgingly.

Finally the crowd around Percy lessened and he approached Susan, happy in a way she’d never seen him.

“Look at you,” she said admiringly. “You did it. Although apparently there’s still a lot of work to do, if I heard Charlie correctly. What with all the scrubbing, dusting, and cleaning as penance.”

“I deserve it,” he said frankly, sliding his arm around her. “Come on, I’d like you to meet my family.”

Before they could do anything more, though, Mrs. Weasley began with a loud voice, “A few minutes ago, Harry was talking about defeating Voldemort, and how that’s the best Christmas present. I’d have to disagree.” She smiled, teary-eyed, at Percy, who smiled back with eyes that also glistened. “I’d have to say that having all seven of my children together again has to be the best Christmas present anyone could ever give me.”

“Hear, hear,” said Mr. Weasley, and all the Weasleys clapped “ a little less enthusisastically than they might have, to be sure, but they still clapped.

Susan felt her own eyes begin to water. This was so much better than she could have imagined it and she was so glad to be a part of it.

“Come along, ally,” Percy said suddenly, pulling her toward the door.

“I thought I was going to meet your family,” Susan said hesitantly.

“That can wait for a few minutes. I want to have a little talk with you.”

“What about?”

“Oh, perception of color and the meaning of life,” Percy said airily, leading her into the garden and looking back to make sure they were well away from the house. “Actually, I wanted to get you away from my family so I could do this.”

He kissed her.

When he finally pulled away “ Susan wasn’t sure she ever wanted it to end “ he smirked.

“You didn’t think you’d get out of this evening without that, did you?” he said, twirling a strand of her hair.

“Well, I don’t mind,” Susan said. “Except for when you’re trying to use it as a distraction.”

“Clearly, I can’t fool you,” Percy said heavily, as if the thought made him depressed.

“Nope, you really can’t,” Susan said. “Can I come meet your family now?”

“They can wait a few more minutes,” Percy replied, leaning forward again. This time, Susan didn’t complain that he was stalling.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=62349