The Cabaret Singer by timestep
Summary: What happens when Ron runs into a former classmate in the years after Hogwarts
Categories: Ron/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 2806 Read: 4695 Published: 01/21/07 Updated: 01/31/07

1. Celebration by timestep

2. The Date by timestep

Celebration by timestep
Author's Notes:
They aren't mine - I just borrow them.

Juliette Rhe is a combination of two Cabaret Singers Juliette Greco and Rhe De Ville.

I’d like to thank Sneaky Rhae, muse and beta extraordinaire. I’d also like to thank Poultrygeist99 and SeaIsleWitch for letting me know when my story was on and off track.
The Chudley Cannons Quidditch team had gathered to celebrate their victory. They had come to Paris for an exhibition game against the Quiberon Quafflepunchers. The team had been walking around wizarding Paris looking for a café. The team, wearing their orange and black casual team robes, stood out against the backdrop of fashionable wizarding Paris. As they walked down the sidewalk, the boisterous group heard the vocals of an amazing female singer waft out an open door. A glance at the woman pictured in the poster assured the team that this was just the place for them to celebrate.



At twenty-five, Ron Weasley was a bit wary of the group. He’d seen his team like this several times in the years he had been on the teams staff. Since taking over as manager at the start of the season, he had accompanied the team on many jaunts. Wins and losses were celebrated with the same zeal but he found that after a win he had to work harder and ensure the witch population was safe from the team who was just interested in finding willing groupies to shag.



The cafe was dark and smoky, just the type of environment one would expect to find a cabaret singer. Juliette Rhe was beautiful. She had long dark hair and smouldering brown eyes. Her voice was just husky enough to sound sexy and leave you longing for more. If her voice wasn’t enough to keep you longing, her burgundy dress was cut to show off her long, shapely legs.



As Ron leaned against the bar listening to Juliette, he couldn’t help thinking that she looked familiar. It was the combination of the dark hair and the cute pug nose that caught his notice. But even if he didn’t know her, Ron was drawn to this mysterious woman.



As she spoke to the audience, Ron could detect the undertone of an English accent. “I’d like to dedicate this song to the Chudley Cannons, who have joined us tonight.”



“Well, gentlemen,” Nathan Jones said as he looked at the group with a lascivious glint in his eyes, “the lady just gave us a gift. Now we just have to stand here and wait for the groupies to come to us.”



Ron rolled his eyes at the group. “Look, we are visitors in this country. Behave!”



After her set was over, Juliette walked over to the team.



“Do you mind if I join you for a drink?” she asked as she approached the group.



As the team shifted to make space for her, Nathan patted his lap. “I have space for you right here.”



Juliette looked at Nathan. “But sir, you wouldn’t want to make the entire café jealous, now would you?”



Juliette took a few minutes to study Ron. She had no problem recognizing him. She hadn’t seen him since their sixth year at Hogwarts, but his red hair was distinctive. In the last few years, Ron had grown a few inches, now over six feet tall. His face had filled out “ as had his chest, which she could not fail to notice was now very muscular. It seemed that working out with the Cannons had really helped.



She had never taken much notice of Ron while they were at Hogwarts. Juliette and her friends had never liked Ron or his friends ‘Boy Wonder’ and ‘The-know-it-all,’ otherwise known as Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. But she couldn’t help noticing that he now exuded a confidence that he had lacked while at school. Juliette was always attracted to confident men. When that confidence came with broad shoulders and a six pack of abs, well she couldn’t ignore the combination.



“Weasley,” Juliette nodded her greeting.



“So, I do know you,” he responded.



“Yes, we were at Hogwarts together.”



“What House were you in? I doubt it was Gryffindor as I don’t remember a Juliette in my House.”



Juliette wrinkled her nose. “No, I wasn’t a Gryffindor.”



“Hufflepuff?”



“Weasley, why would that be your first guess?” Juliette exclaimed with hands on her hips.



“Okay, sorry!” Ron said, staring at his feet. “Ravenclaw?”



“Well, my marks were high enough, but no.”



“I guess that would make you Slytherin.”



“You sound a bit disappointed.”



“No, just confused,” Ron covered. After all, even after being out of Hogwarts for more than five years, his first impulse upon hearing someone was a Slytherin was to cringe. “I just don’t remember a Juliette in any of my classes. We always had potions with the Slytherins.”



“Well,” Juliette smiled slyly, “that might be because Juliette is a stage name.”



Ron shook his head, thoroughly disgusted with himself. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t thought of that.



“So, do I get another clue?” Ron finally asked.



“Nope, I think I’ll leave you to think about it while I join the rest of your team for that promised drink.”



Juliette was having fun. She loved watching Ron struggle with this. She glanced over her shoulder and gave Ron a sweet smile as she walked over to the team. It was with great satisfaction that she noticed him watching her hips as she walked. Ron’s face turned as red as his hair as he realized he was caught looking. He gave Juliette a sheepish grin in return.



As Juliette flirted with the team, Ron kept watching her trying to figure out who she was. There was something in the way she said his name. He closed his eyes and tried to imagine himself in double potions with the Slytherins. She said she had had high marks, so that narrowed the list.



He opened his eyes just in time to see Pansy Parkinson slapping Nathan, who was pulling her towards him with one hand on her arse and one on her breast.



“Bugger! Nathan, leave Pansy alone!”



Pansy turned to look at him as he grabbed her arm to pull her away from the team.



“Thank you. I guess you do remember me.”



“I probably would have remembered more quickly if you had called me ‘Weasel.’ Are you all right?”



“Yeah. He’s not the first patron to try that move on me. I just didn’t expect it with my own countrymen.”



Ron looked at his team with disgust. “It’s time to get moving. I think we should head back to the hotel before they cause any real trouble.”



“Thanks for sticking up for me. I know this is going to sound strange, but do you want to meet me for a drink after I finish tonight?”



“I think I need to pass tonight. I should watch out for these thugs,” he indicated the team behind him. “They seem to be in rare form.”



“Oh, okay,” she said quietly. “Well, feel free to stop in the next time you are in Paris.”



“Look, I’m not leaving for a couple of days. Why don’t we meet for lunch tomorrow?”



“Okay, where shall we meet?”



“I don’t know Paris very well. I’m just staying next door.”



“Why don’t I just meet you in the lobby, say 12:30?”



“12:30 it is.”

The Date by timestep
Author's Notes:
They are not mine, I just get to borrow them.

I’d like to thank Sneaky Rhae, muse and beta extraordinaire.
I’d also like to thank Poultrygeist99 and SeaIsleWitch for letting me know when my story was on and off track.

Ron woke up the next morning and quickly showered. In the light of day, it still seemed unbelievable; he, Ronald Weasley, was going to have lunch with Pansy Parkinson. He wasn’t sure where they were going today, so he decided to dress in blue day robes. Somehow he didn’t think Pansy would want to be seen with him wearing team colours since the orange tended to clash with his hair. Pansy wasn’t the type to be impressed by his position with the Cannons “ was she? She might have been in school, but they weren’t in school anymore. He really didn’t know her anymore. Today promised to be interesting.

At 12:25 Pansy walked into the lobby of the hotel. She wasn’t sure what had enticed her to arrange this meeting. Being a true Slytherin, it didn’t take much for her to trick the team into a few inappropriate responses. She knew the Gryffindor in Ron would come to her rescue and she could ask him out. She was very disappointed he wouldn’t meet her last night; it seemed easier to hide in the shadows of the night rather than see him in the light of day. She just hoped he showed up soon before she changed her mind.

At promptly 12:30, Pansy heard the elevator bell ring and looked up as the doors opened. Ron looked very handsome in his blue robes. She was so grateful he didn’t wear something announcing the Cannons. Not only did it clash horribly with his hair, but it just seemed so pedestrian to announce his affiliation with the team.

Ron looked up as the elevator doors opened and saw Pansy watching him. Boy, she was beautiful in her pink robes. It really looked nice with her dark hair.

“Pansy, you look beautiful,” he said in greeting as he debated giving her kiss on the cheek. “I like your hair short. It seems more like the Pansy I knew.”

“Thanks, Ron. I can’t see myself in long hair any more than I can see Juliette in short. You look really nice too. Shall we go?” she added as she took his arm making his decision for him. “I know this lovely bistro.”

To their surprise, they found they had no problem finding things to talk about over lunch. The food was plentiful, a requirement of Ron’s, and the conversation flowed after a few moments of awkwardness.

When they finished eating, Ron and Pansy stepped from the darkened bistro back into the sunlight of a beautiful Paris day.

“Shall we go for a walk, Pansy? I have rarely seen more of Paris than could be found on either a Quidditch Pitch or in a café.”

“I happen to have the afternoon free.”

They walked around Paris with no real destination in mind as they chatted.

“If you don’t mind my asking, why did you become a cabaret singer?”

“I needed an escape. Seventh year was really hard. I didn’t understand what Draco had done, McGonagall was Headmistress, and so much of what I thought I believed had been shattered when the Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts. Watching my school being attacked by my classmates' parents just seemed so wrong. After I finished school and Voldemort was defeated, I just wanted to leave the country. I could sing, so I ended up here.”

“Did you ever hear from Draco again?”

“Yes. A couple of years ago we tried to pick up where we left off, but we had both changed so much. He will always have a piece of my heart, he was my first love after all, but we just are too different now. I was grateful to know he never truly became a Death Eater. I know you never liked him, but he really was a sweet guy. I just can’t imagine fearing for his family the way he did. We were just kids then. It just didn’t seem fair.”

“So much of our youth was stolen by that monster,” Ron said unable to keep the disgust out of his voice.

Pansy touched his hand in response. “But, without it, I wouldn’t be here. I’d probably be Lady Malfoy and would be wondering what I really should be doing with my life. Instead I was able to fulfil a dream I never knew I had.”

Ron intertwined his fingers with Pansy’s. “I can tell you the world is a sweeter place with Juliette in it. You are a very talented singer.”

“How about you, how did you end up with the Cannons?”

“My story isn’t that different from yours. After we defeated Voldemort, I just wanted a job that would be fun “ something I would be good at but would be a bit frivolous. I was able to start with the Cannons, and just worked my way up. I know I was hired originally based on my name alone,” Ron laughed. “I’ll bet you never thought you’d hear those words come from a Weasley? But, I didn’t really care. I’ve been a Cannons fan my whole life.”

“Did you ever wish you were playing for them?”

“Pansy, do you not remember ‘Weasley is our King’?” Ron asked, laughing again. “I was probably good enough to play for the Cannons, as badly as they have played in the past, but I’d rather help build them into a respectable team.”

They were walking past a cheese shop when Ron suddenly stopped, forgetting they were still holding hands. His sudden stop caused Pansy to fall backwards. Ron caught her and waited while she regained her footing. As he held her, he noticed how sweet she smelled, of oranges and cloves.

“Sorry, Pansy. I just noticed how hungry I am. Let’s get some bread and cheese for a snack, maybe some wine to go with it?”

As they opened the door, the smell of fresh bread reminded Pansy she was hungry, too. They paid for their purchases and stepped back onto the sidewalk.

“Where shall we go?” Ron asked Pansy.

Pansy took Ron’s hand and laced her fingers with his. “This way.”

Pansy lead Ron to a quiet corner of a public garden and she Transfigured a handkerchief into a blanket and spread it out under a tree. The garden was filled with spring flowers. The floral scents created a heady bouquet. Pansy sat in the middle of the blanket and holding her hand out to Ron, she invited him to join her.

As they ate, they chatted and laughed. Ron could not remember an afternoon he had enjoyed more. He was amazed he could feel this comfortable with Pansy. Hermione and Harry would never believe this. When he was finished eating, he stretched out on the blanket and leaned his head on Pansy’s leg.

Pansy had been telling Ron some story about one of her nights singing when he suddenly stretched out. She was a bit surprised when he began to use her leg as a pillow. For a minute, she wasn’t sure what she should do, but after looking at his face for a minute, she started to run her fingers through his hair. As she did, she felt him relax.

Pansy found she forgot about the story she was in the middle of and just enjoyed the feel of this man close to her.

“Bugger!” Ron exclaimed, sitting up quickly. “Pansy, I just realized I need to get back. I have a dinner meeting tonight.”

“Oh.” Pansy waved her wand to dispose of their snack, feeling strangely disappointed.

As Ron stood up, he held his hand out to help Pansy up. She released the spell on the blanket and put away her handkerchief.

“Well, I’ve just spent most of an afternoon with you and you have me wondering, now that you are not playing hero, how do you impress your dates?” Pansy asked, leaning against the tree.

“With silly poetry,” Ron said with a grin. Then, gesturing much as a bad actor would on stage, he recited a poem for Pansy.

“I love thee in winter, I love thee in fall
I love thee in summer, but spring most of all

I love thee while biking, and hiking too
I love thee when eating, and trips to the zoo”

Pansy couldn’t resist giggling. Ron walked over to her and placed his hands on her hips. She stopped laughing and looked at him. Ron looked in her eyes and leaned towards her and gave her a gentle kiss on her soft lips.

The kiss only lasted a fraction of a second, but Pansy had never experienced such tenderness. She found her knees were suddenly weak.

As they slowly started walking, Ron took Pansy’s hand again. Neither was ready for the afternoon to end when they arrived at her flat.

“Ron, thank you for today. I really had a wonderful time.”

He put his arms around Pansy’s waist and pulled her close. Their kiss started slowly, but quickly developed in intensity. Soon their tongues were dancing.

With regret, Ron broke their kiss, placing a few gentle kisses on her lips before separating.

“Gods, Pansy, I wish I wasn’t leaving.”

“Ron, owl me the next time you are coming to Paris.”

“I think I’ll have to find a reason to come back soon.”

“I’d like that.”

Ron kissed Pansy gently one last time.

“Goodbye.”

With a pop, Ron Apparated back to his hotel.

“Goodbye,” Pansy said softly.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=63003