Seven To Slay by Just Tink
Summary: The Seven Hallows were created for good, and for ages they did the bidding of good- but when they turn to the side of evil they are unstoppable... Written for the New Year's Challenge- Deathly Hallows by Just Tink of Hufflepuff.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1497 Read: 1604 Published: 02/01/07 Updated: 02/07/07

1. Seven To Slay by Just Tink

Seven To Slay by Just Tink
Author's Notes:
thanks to my great beta, Lurid!

And they said we wouldn’t come back!

They scoffed at us, laughed until they could laugh no more, and then they left, leaving us in our prison to await our destiny. They said our destiny was to rot in hell. They said we would never be because we never were. They said that we needed to get used to the darkness of forever, because that was all we would ever see.

We are the Deathly Hallows, and we will destroy those who mocked us.

*

It was a beautifully sunlit day when we were created. You’d expect it to be dark and stormy, but we were created next to a winding river as men in long white robes dipped their offerings into the water. Their cries rang out through the land.

“You will be brave.”

“You will be true.”

“You will be noble.”

“You will be loyal.”

“You will be wise.”

“You will be cunning.”

“You will be pure.”

We are seven together, seven Hallows that were created that day by the river. As the men in long white robes dipped long sticks of wood into the river, we appeared out of the water and hovered above the rest. The men in long white robes had gasped with wonder, for they had never seen anything so beautiful.

They had created us to do their bidding, and we did it happily. Often we were called upon to end wars, for the men were Romans and their empire had many wars. When we ended wars we often worked with hundreds of men in long white robes who directed us at their leisure. We swooped back and forth, leaving our gifts on whoever felt our breath. For a while their empire was peaceful, and they rejoiced in their ingenuity in creating us.

But men are not to be trusted. They are tricky individuals, and these individuals who created us soon turned against us.

“We created you in the image of the gods,” cried the men in long white robes, “and yet you do not smite as the gods do. We instructed you to comply with our bidding, and our bidding is to eliminate our enemies! Go forth, Hallows, and do your work to save the Roman Empire.”

And although we were not happy with it, the men in long white robes were our masters, and we were bound to obey them. So along with their army we rode out and killed all who stood in our way. It was not the work of the gods, but the work of man that forced us to kill. We are not proud of it, but it was what we had to do, because we were helpless in our own fate.

You think you understand, but do you? It is most likely that you are like the other humans, and simply feel that we should have continued to do the work of our masters. We were, after all, mere beings. We were not human, and you have always looked down on those who were not human! But you must try to understand that we were not created for evil. We were created to bring peace and hope to humans, but we see now that being human means not having peace and hope. We see that now.

So we took creation into our own hands. We went to the river where we were created and created new beings. These were not modeled after the gods, but instead modeled after humans and after the humans who created us. The creatures, like humans, were hideous; floating black robes that sucked out a human’s soul. They were to be our army, and we called them Dementors.

It wasn’t until then, we believe, that we were truly created. Until we took our fate into our own hands we had merely been puppets of humans, but when we created our Dementors we changed. No longer were we Hallows. The men in long white robes had created Hallows, and we would no longer be associated with humans. Our creations were evil creatures, full of death and destruction. It was because of them that we recreated ourselves as Deathly Hallows, the name we keep today. That day was the day we were born and, because of it, the day the Hallows died. We had been named Hallows because we were ‘heavenly swallows’, as the men in long white robes called us. We did not know what a swallow was, but we knew heavenly, and the heavenly part of us died when we took on Deathly.

We led our Dementors across the empire, killing everyone in our path. Perhaps you’ve heard stories about the fall of the Roman Empire. They are false. We destroyed the empire as they destroyed others. They deserved to die.

Since then we wandered the earth, killing all we wanted and assisting those who wanted to kill. We never helped humans, but we helped animals, bacteria, anything that would mindlessly destroy like our Dementors did. Our best work was the plague, the act that killed hundreds of thousands of people. How we rejoiced! How glad we were that the earth was rid of so many of these evil, evil people who destroyed it!

But people always come back. So mostly we worked on smaller projects, having our Dementors destroy human life one person at a time, sucking at their souls and using them as food. We Deathly Hallows needed no food. The pain of the humans was nourishment enough for us.

But then they came in, and they were ruled by him. We were subtly assisting the wizard Grindelwald, who killed everything in his path the same way that our Dementors did, when he found us. We remember it perfectly. He was a memorable man, Albus Dumbledore.

He tried to give us a chance. Him! Give us a chance! For millennia we had the power to destroy him, and he attempts to give us a chance! Fool. But somehow- we do not know how, for we Deathly Hallows keep our secrets safe- he discovered our weakness. He lured us into the river where we were first made by the men in long white robes, and his followers taunted us. For they were the ones who laughed at us, who said we were creatures of hell, and so it is them we vowed to destroy.

We stayed in our prison for years, contemplating our revenge while we waited for freedom. But a few years ago a man came and set us free from our prison of water. This man’s name was Lord Voldemort, and he promised us freedom if we assisted him in his fight. He told us that he fought for the same things we fought, and that by assisting him we would be destroying mankind. We did not believe him, but we agreed. He released us, and we gave him an ancient spell to give him a body.

Since joining forces with Voldemort things have been going exceedingly well. We reclaimed our Dementors, and they continue to assist us and Voldemort. After so long we still have power over the earth, and assist Voldemort whenever he needs us. In return, he kills for us, and we remain unknown to the rest of the world. It is a good relationship, and it has undoubtedly been effective.

However, we will never pledge our allegiance to a human. Voldemort has made the mistake of telling us his plans. While his is distracted by a most human need for revenge, we will destroy him. Then we shall continue to use our Dementors to destroy mankind.

But first, we must help Voldemort one last time. The values that the men in long white robes first gave us have been distorted to fit our needs, but we still have them within us-brave, true, noble, loyal, wise, cunning, and pure. We were brave and true when we destroyed the empire. Our loyalty is, wisely, only to ourselves, and our noble cause places us above the humans. Our intentions are pure, and we use our cunning to achieve our ends. Truly we are what humans were meant to be. That is why we help Voldemort. We will help him win his war, because it has become personal to us as well. He is fighting the followers of Dumbledore; the man who imprisoned us. Revenge is a human need, but we will embrace it for now. Every human who supports Dumbledore will be the first to die slowly and painfully. And then we will kill Voldemort. After all, he is a human, though he seems to think otherwise. We will destroy him.

And so of course you understand why we have to kill you! You stand in the way of our plans! You humans are such a sentimental group, but even you can understand this, can’t you? Voldemort needs you dead, and for now, we obey Voldemort.

Goodbye, Miss Weasley.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=63428