Harry Potter and the Last Terrible Vision by DeanaZ
Summary: This is my take on what might happen in book seven. My take comes with a twist. Harry gets help from an unlikely mentor. She is both a Slytherin and a Malfoy! I have extended this chapter in order to develop her character as requested by the Mods. I wanted to share my thoughts on what might have happened to Lily's parents. Why were they dead? I needed to edit the warnings because chapters nine and ten are about the war and a major character dies. I'm sorry if I have caused any confusion.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 71899 Read: 48297 Published: 02/10/07 Updated: 07/02/07

1. Chapter 1Return to Origins by DeanaZ

2. Chapter 2 From Seed to Harvest by DeanaZ

3. Chapter 3 The Importance of Being Whole by DeanaZ

4. Chapter 4 Under Their Noses by DeanaZ

5. Chapter 5 The Nightmare by DeanaZ

6. Chapter 6 The Missing Links by DeanaZ

7. Chapter 7 Harry Scores Again by DeanaZ

8. Chapter 8 Beyond the Veil by DeanaZ

9. Chapter 9 The Weapon by DeanaZ

10. Chapter 10 The Professor's Dearest Secret by DeanaZ

11. Chapter 11Letters and Sermons by DeanaZ

Chapter 1Return to Origins by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
Harry's quest for the Horcruxes and Snape has him meet up with an woman who is both Slytherin and a Malfoy. She holds the secret to destroy the Horcruxes and Voldemort. Will she share her secret with Harry? Why would she? I wanted to share my ideas on what might have happened to Lily's parents. Why were they dead? What is the story behind this old woman that suddenly shows up in Harry's life.
It stood like a small memorial of what was once a white wooden fence. All that remained of the house, where Godric’s Hollow's famous family resided, was a burned-out frame. A large, bare wooden barrier enclosed most of what was left. A crude path from the small gate led to what was once the front door. Stumps of dark brown and charcoal black wood boards stood around the perimeter. Any evidence of the contents of the home had either been burned beyond recognition or removed. Had someone, unaware of the infamous story, gazed upon the wreckage, they would still know the obvious: This home fell victim to a terrible fate.

Standing just beyond the gate was the tall, lean figure of seventeen-year-old Harry Potter. His dark, unkempt hair lay at the nape of his neck and hung limp over his brow. His round-rimmed glasses framed anger-filled green eyes that resembled his mother's. An over-sized, black sweatshirt draped his frame and hung low over his blue jeans. His wand was brandished in his right hand; he stood motionless. The quiet stillness was suddenly broken by the sound of cracking wood.

"Hello! Is anyone there?" Harry called out into the burned wreckage.

Suddenly, a small figure, slightly misshapen, appeared from the morning fog. Her wrinkled face was framed with fluffy white hair. Her long gold and burgundy cloak dragged along the floorboards as she continued to walk toward the front part of the house. Holding tightly to a cane in her left hand, she walked slowly toward Harry.

Harry squinted at her to get a better look at her face. He did not recognize her. Not taking any chances, Harry raised his wand.

"Stop! Don't come any closer," Harry warned the old woman.

The woman stopped only briefly, perhaps to size Harry up, then proceeded forward.

"I ... I mean it!" Harry threatened, brandishing his wand. Why, he wondered, was she still walking toward him? She had no wand of her own that he could see. She seemed rather defenseless.

"Look," Harry began, "whoever you are, I'd appreciate it if you didn't wander here. This was once my home, and I think it's a bit disrespectful of you to be trespassing."

Acting as if she had not heard anything Harry said, the old woman replied, "Someone said I might find you here."

Harry was caught off guard by this remark. He could think of no other reply, but the one he gave. "Are you looking for me?"

"Yes," she replied, now stopping only a couple of meters away.

"Well, do you know who I am?" Harry asked.

"Why, yes, Harry dear. You're Harry James Potter, son of James Potter and Lily Evans."

"Who are you and ... what is your business here?"

"Well, to start, my name is Rose Malfoy Albright, Hogwarts alumna 1922, house of Slytherin. Yes, go on, Harry, take your best shot. I'm a Malfoy and a Slytherin," the old woman replied with a cackle.

"Don't tempt me," Harry warned, holding his wand firmly in front of him. "So, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here, Harry, because Professor McGonagall sent me here to find you."

"Why would she do that? I already told her I wasn't coming back to Hogwarts."

"I am aware of this. Apparently the professor feels you are doing a disservice to yourself, your friends and the wizarding world. I would explain more, but your wand is distracting me," Rose complained.

"Oh, no. The wand stays where it is. How do I know you're not a Death Eater who drank Polyjuice potion and turned yourself into this?" Harry argued.

"Search your soul, Harry. Be logical. What benefit would it serve me to come in the form of an old woman, defenseless and limited in mobility? However, if I did drink Polyjuice, you certainly would be one who would know. After all, it takes one to know one, doesn't it?" Rose teased.

Harry subconsciously began lowering his wand as he continued to listen to the woman. He watched her carefully. It was true what she said. It would be foolish to take the form of a helpless, old woman then try to do any harm to Harry now. Then again, thought Harry, it would be quite an ingenious decoy. She had proven herself to be quite a distraction if anyone else was planning to ambush him. With this thought in mind, Harry's heart began to beat rapidly. He started to frantically look around him, trying to catch sight of anyone else who might be hiding in the midst.

"Hold it. How do I know you're alone?" Harry asked suspiciously.

"Dear child," the old woman sighed, "your imagination is strikingly familiar. You know, your mother had a gift for imagining the worst," chuckled Rose.

“You knew my mother?” Harry asked suspiciously.
“Why, yes, quite well in fact,” Rose replied with a smile.

“Where did you know her from?” Harry continued his interrogation.

“We were both in the Order. Both she and your father were close friends of mine. I mentored both your parents,” Rose explained as if reminiscing about the time.

There was a moment of silence as Harry thought about Rose’s answer. Then Rose’s last sentence triggered his curiosity. “You mentored them?”

“Yes, Harry. As new members of the Order, they needed someone to teach them how things were done,” Rose replied with a smile and raised eyebrows. “Harry, I would explain more, but I find it disturbing that you find me to be such a threat.”

Harry was about to say something to justified his behavior toward Rose when she interrupted him.

"I'll make a deal with you. Let's get out of here. I know you wish to visit your parents' graves,” Rose suggested. She wanted to say more but Harry cut her off.

“NO! No thanks. I don’t need anyone’s company, especially yours,” Harry grunted.

“Still afraid of me, I see.”

"Well, you can't expect me to trust you. I don't know who you are. You appear out of nowhere, rummaging through what's left of my dead parents' house. You say Professor McGonagall sent you here, and your name is..." At that moment, Harry had another thought. The old woman smiled at him and finished his sentence.

"Malfoy and I hail from the house of Slytherin. Yessss, Harry. Now, if I were going to trick someone into believing I was benevolent, when really I was not, wouldn't it benefit me to pick a friendlier surname and more acceptable house? Wouldn't that be more logical?"

"I guess you have a point," admitted Harry.

“Perhaps this plan may interest you. Let’s walk over to the cemetery. On the way there, I'll walk a safe distance in front of you. You can keep an eye on me. In the meantime, perhaps we'll get to know each other a little better. I'm certain you have many more questions to ask me, if I'm not mistaken," Rose suggested.

"Yeah, I have questions," Harry grunted, his hand holding tightly onto his wand down by his side.

“So, then, do we have a deal?” Rose asked, growing impatient with Harry and the whole mission.

“No!” Harry answered firmly. “ Look, maybe you are who you say you are, but I can’t afford to take any more chances. I’ve made too many mistakes already, trusting the wrong people,” Harry explained, feeling as if he had divulged way more than he wanted to.

“Very well, Harry, if that’s the way you feel, then suit yourself. I’m going to the cemetery to pay my respects. I might as well, now that I’m here. I guess I’ll just have to give Professor McGonagall the bad news -- her star pupil is a lonely, self-pitying quitter!” Rose lashed out.

“If Professor McGonagall is so concerned about me, why didn’t she just come here herself? Why would she send you?” Harry asked defensively, obviously hurt by Rose’s claims against him.

“I imagine her new duties as headmistress have made it difficult for her to focus her attention on one student. It’s the headmistress’ job to see to it that work gets properly distributed. She can’t be everywhere, you know,” Rose explained in an effort to defend Professor McGonagall.”

“So Harry, what’s it going to be? I don’t have all day to wait for you. I’m an old woman. I don’t have the luxury of time that you do!” Rose waited a moment for Harry’s decision. Growing immensely impatient with Harry’s reluctance to trust her, she decided to dismiss him and leave. “That’s it! I’ve had quite enough of this nonsense and your rude company. If you don’t mind, I would like to leave without you shooting any curses at me. Please let me pass. You have my word that I won’t try anything. Now, may I pass?” Rose asked in a frustrated tone of voice.

Harry agreed by gesturing with his head. As she passed him, he backed away a step, keeping himself a safe distance from her. Harry continued to watch Rose’s feeble body maneuver around the broken path back to the road. He thought some more for a moment. He looked back at the wreckage, and came to the conclusion that there was nothing left there for him to do, so he followed Rose.

Rose turned her head to get a glimpse of Harry trailing a safe distance behind her. She began to laugh. Harry continued to maintain his distance with his wand ready by his side. Once they reached the road, the old woman began to speak.

"So, Harry, once we get to your parents' graves, what do you expect to accomplish?" Rose asked loudly enough so that Harry could hear her from where he was trailing behind.

"I ... I dunno. I guess I just think I'll be closer to them."

"And you think going to where their bodies are buried will achieve this closeness?"

"Well, yeah. Why not? Isn’t that why you’re going? " Harry asked, trying to put Rose on the spot.

“No. I’m going as an outward gesture of respect to their memory. I’m going to their graves, because their graves act as a symbol for others to acknowledge. I know where there spirits really are,” Rose replied confidently, clearly displaying to Harry that she was unshaken by his efforts.

“Oh yeah. Where are they?” Harry challenged Rose.

Rose stopped and turned around to face Harry, as if showing him that she was accepting his challenge. “They're here in my heart. They’re in your heart as well, Harry. The only difference is I don’t keep them hidden like you do. As confusing as it might be for a moment, you must realize that they are with you. They always have been. They always will be." Rose turned around and proceeded forward. "Come along, Harry."

Harry had no reply to this. He stood and stared at the old woman. He realized she was probably right, but he still wanted to go to the graves.

Harry followed behind for a moment then he quickly sped up to walk beside her. The old woman glanced up at him, chuckled then continued her painfully slow gait. They walked the remaining distance to the graveyard without another word.

Eventually they reached James and Lily Potter's graves. The old woman stopped a couple of meters short of the graves. Harry walked a bit farther so he could read their headstones. He stared at the date that marked their deaths. Harry quickly glanced at the old woman. She appeared to be mournful. She looked hollow and fragile, leaning on her cane. She looked up to meet Harry's eyes. In an instant, Harry realized that she had been telling him the truth. For, as he looked into her eyes, which were now brimming with tears, he saw how sincere they were. Then it struck him. The old woman was grieving. She was grieving over James and Lily.

Harry turned back to face the headstone. Another emotion emerged, and, for the first time, Harry Potter felt a deep pain of grief, unlike the one he felt for Sirius or Professor Dumbledore. This was an unmitigating pain. It reached deeper and seemed as if it would remain with Harry forever. Harry swallowed hard, and his jaw began to hurt. From behind, he could hear the old woman weeping. His tears welled up in his eyes and rolled down his cheeks.

Harry wiped the tears that rested on his chin and nose with the sleeve of his sweatshirt. He reached in the back pocket of his jeans and pulled out the card he planned to leave at the graves. On the envelope it was written, 'To Mum and Dad.' The old woman watched Harry as he gave a second thought to the card.

"Why would I leave this here?" Harry wondered out loud, breaking the silence. "It's not like they're gonna read it." Harry held back the remaining tears, which were threatening to fall from his eyes.

The old woman, noticing that Harry was about to return the card to his back pocket, spoke up.

"Harry, leave the card."

"Why? You're right. They're not here. They're somewhere else. They were with me in the graveyard, three years ago, during the Triwizard Tournament. It's just a stupid card. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it."

"Harry, leave the card here and let's go."

Harry stayed put, staring at the card in his hand.

"Harry, it's nice that we came, but now it's time to go back and join the living. While it's wonderful that we remember those loved ones who have died and gone on to the next world, it is important that we do not forget the ones who still love us in this world," Rose reasoned.

"So I guess I should be getting back," Harry said.

"It would be the sensible thing to do. Besides, Ron and Hermione must be worried about you. Why aren't they with you by the way?" Rose mentioned.

"First of all, how do you know about my friends and secondly, not that it’s any of your business, I told them I wanted to do this part alone," Harry replied, defensively.

"Well to answer your question, Professor McGonagall was instrumental in filling me in on your...hmmm, situation, shall we say," Rose replied, now displaying an affectionate smile to Harry. Harry turned back and gingerly leaned the card against the headstone.

As Harry and Rose walked back toward the cemetery entrance, Harry's mind raced with questions. After sharing a remorseful moment together at his parents’ graves, he felt as though he could lift his shield, albeit only slightly, around her. Rose said nothing more to Harry. Though she understood Harry’s reluctance to trust her, she also felt that his rudeness was uncalled for. Rose decided to give Harry the silent treatment as they made their way back out of the cemetery.

Rose’s strategy worked. The silence was becoming uncomfortable for Harry. He wanted to free himself from the disquieting silence and continue getting to know this stranger. Feeling somewhat regretful about the way he had spoken to her, he decided to behave more respectfully around her. After all, if Professor McGonagall really sent her here, he didn’t want to risk facing the headmistress’ wrath for behaving disrespectfully to her colleague.

"So, what do I call you? Rose? Mrs. Malfoy?"

"Correction! Professor Albright. My maiden name was Malfoy," Rose was quick to correct.

"OK, Professor Albright."

As they continued to walk, Rose reached her hand out to Harry and asked, "You like chicken?"

Harry, thinking this question a bit odd, answered anyway. "Uh, yeah, why?"
"Grab a wing," Rose replied, with a smile. Harry took the elderly professor's arm and gently tucked it under his. They walked slowly out of Godric’s Hollow into the mid-morning sun.


Harry and Professor Albright walked to the town limits of Godric's Hollow. Harry looked around then studied Professor Albright. He noticed how frail and elderly she was. She had no wand or broom. How did she travel? Harry launched more questions at her.

"Professor, how did you get here?"

"By wizard taxi," Professor Albright replied, watching Harry's expression.

"You don't have a broom?" Harry asked, looking concerned.

"No."

"Not even a Portkey," Harry asked suspiciously.

"Harry, I already told you, wizard taxi service," Professor Albright repeated.

"Why did you have to take a taxi?" asked Harry.

"Harry, where are we off to next?" inquired Professor Albright, in an annoyed tone of voice.

"Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m going back home.”

“Where’s that,” Professor Albright asked.
Harry was reluctant to answer her. Then he thought if she really was a member of the Order, there was no point in trying to keep his residence a secret.

“Sirius’ house. It’s mine now. He left it to me in his will,” Harry revealed with a solemn expression. Having to remember that Sirius was dead added more to the sadness of the day.

"Well then, let's take the taxi back there,” Professor Albright offered. “I’ll drop you off at Sirius’ house. On the way you can continue to bombard me with all the questions you want. Besides, I have something important I need to reveal to you."

"Yeah? What?"

"When we get back to Sirius’ house," Professor Albright insisted.

Harry shrugged his shoulders in agreement. He could have just as easily apparated back to Sirius’ house, but the thought of a wizard taxi ride was too irresistible to pass up. He figured he could get some more information out of the professor as well. He sensed that Professor Albright knew many things about him, his family, Dumbledore, the Order, and, more importantly, the impending war.

Harry and Professor Albright reached the edge of Godric's Hollow's border. Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, a bright orange car with white and black checkerboard doors sped up, then stopped to a screeching halt. The driver was a man in his fifties. He wore a cap and spoke with a strong cockney accent.

"Where to?"

"Number twelve, Grimmauld Place," Harry replied, helping Professor Albright into the back seat.

"Twelve Grimmauld it is, then!"

The driver sped off with Harry barely seated. Before Harry could seat himself comfortably, the driver stopped abruptly. Both Harry and Professor Albright were flung against the back of the front seats.

" 'Ere we 're", announced the driver.

It had only seemed like seconds that the taxi had been moving. Harry lifted his throbbing head. He adjusted his glasses and looked around. There it was: Sirius' house.

"That'll be three Galleons," the driver said.

Harry paid the fare without a word. He thought about Professor Albright for a moment. He wondered if he should invite the professor inside. Supposedly she had something important to tell him, and the taxi ride was too fast to give either of them any time to discuss anything. Though he was still concerned about her true identity, he decided to take the risk. Besides, he thought to himself, if her plan was to do him any harm, she knew where to find him.

“Uh, Professor? Would you like to come in for a moment?” Harry offered nervously.

Professor Albright looked at Harry, expressing pleasant surprise.

“Why, yes. I’m rather curious to see how the old place has held up,” Professor Albright replied happily.

Harry helped Professor Albright out of the taxi. Professor Albright had just stepped onto the curb when the taxi sped off. It disappeared in seconds. Harry held onto the professor as he led her up to the house. She walked with the same painfully slow gait. Once inside, Harry led the professor to the kitchen.

"Here, be careful on the stairs," Harry cautioned, leading her down to the kitchen in the basement and over to the table. Professor Albright sat down. "Can I get you anything?" Harry offered.

"A nice cup of tea would be lovely, dear." Harry smiled and volleyed back and forth from the pantry to the stove, setting up for tea.

"So," Harry began as he put a kettle of water on the stove, "what is it you wanted to tell me?"

"Harry, one reason why I came was to tell you something important," Professor Albright said, articulating clearly enough so that Harry would be able to hear her.

"Yeah, I know. What is it?"

"You must return to Hogwarts and finish your studies!" Harry was setting up the teacups on the counter near the stove when he heard these words. He stopped immediately, thought for a moment then stepped away from the counter and walked over to the table. He stared at Professor Albright for a moment. She returned his stare. She attempted to break the silence.

"Did you hear me, Harry?"

"Yeah," a resigned Harry replied, thinking it was strange that she repeated herself. He already knew that was why she was here. "You said Professor McGonagall sent you so that you could talk me into coming back."

"This is true. Professor McGonagall is concerned for you, Harry. She is concerned that you are on some mission of your own. She senses that it is one that holds a great deal of danger in store, and you are not as prepared as you think to handle it."

"Oh really?" Harry replied indignantly.

"Harry, I did not mean to offend you. As much as you have grown, there is still much you need to learn. I would stay here longer to tell you more, but I need to get back and work on the plan," Professor Albright explained.

"Plan? What plan?"

"Harry, I find it odd that you haven't asked me the one question that would force me to tell you many other things about myself," Professor Albright observed.

"And what question might that be?" Harry asked, feeling a bit nervous again.

Professor Albright was about to reply when suddenly, the kettle of water on the stove shrilled its whistle. Harry jumped. He immediately ran over to the stove to stop the high-pitched squeal then returned to the table and sat down across from Professor Albright. He continued to maintain his safe distance from her.

"So, what's this question I should be asking you?"

"The question is, 'where have I been all these years?' After all, I am a Hogwarts professor. "

"Well," Harry asked, "where have you been?"

"I've been in hiding, as Dumbledore sentenced me."

"Sentenced you!" Harry gasped. "Wait, I'm confused. Why would Professor Dumbledore sentence you? What did you do, and how could he sentence you?"

"Harry, are you forgetting? Professor Dumbledore was Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. He was Chief Warlock during my trial," Professor Albright explained.

"Trial! What trial? OK, now I'm really confused."

"The trial that was held when I fought and killed seven Death Eaters." Professor Albright replied in a matter-of-fact tone.

"You killed seven Death Eaters?" Harry asked, with excitement in his voice.

"I guess it is time I told you a little more about myself. As I mentioned before, I am a member of the Order. I knew and was very close to your parents. Your parents were a target for the Dark Lord on more than one occasion -- one in particular stands out in my memory, like a living nightmare with no end," Professor Albright said, beginning her story. "The first two times, were relatively uneventful. It was the third confrontation. It was a couple years after your parents were married. Your mother had just found out she was pregnant with you. She wanted to celebrate the occasion. So some of the Order decided to meet at the Leaky Cauldron for dinner. I was there, along with my husband, David, who was a good friend of Professor Dumbledore, your grandparents, Remus Lupin, and Sirius and his girlfriend, Doris Purkiss. All was well when suddenly, they burst through the doors!"

"Who?" Harry blurted anxiously, listening intently to the professor's tale.

"Him! He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his Death Eaters." Harry listened intently as Professor Albright continued her story. "They burst through the doors of the Leaky Cauldron and began firing their wands, indiscriminately at first. The place was full that night, but it was obvious who they were after. People began to panic and attempted to run. Remus, Sirius and Doris narrowly escaped with their lives, as well as your parents, but your mother's parents, and my husband were not so fortunate. I don't remember much after that. The rest of this story comes from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Supposedly, I lost control of my logic. I let my emotions take over, and before I could collect myself again, seven Death Eaters lay dead. Unfortunately, He was not included. Before I knew it, I was in a holding cell in the Ministry. At the trial, it was declared that I acted in self-defense and, therefore, could not be held accountable for my actions. However, the rules of the Healer's Oath are clear. It was decided that I not be executed for breaking the Oath, but my wand and magic be repossessed, and my title relinquished." Professor Albright took a deep breath after saying all of this.

"Your title," blurted Harry, his eyes wide with curiosity. "What title?"

"The title of Alchemist, Order of Paracelsus, Second Class."

"Order of who?"

"Paracelsus," Professor Albright repeated more clearly, "Master Alchemist of the Healing arts."

"Healing arts? You mean you're a ..."

"Healer, Harry? Well, yes, I was," Professor Albright sighed, looking down at the table pensively. Breaking the tense moment, she asked, "So, where's that tea?"

"Oh," remembered Harry, "sorry 'bout that." He quickly jumped up from the table and ran back to the stove to prepare the tea. He returned to the table carrying two teacups and saucers. He was eager to hear the rest of the professor's story.

"So, you said, at one time you were a Healer," Harry asked, pouring the tea while prodding Professor Albright to divulge the rest of her story.

“Yes.”

"And you were an Alchemist, Second Class?"

"Yes, Harry," Professor Albright replied, sensing Harry's confusion. "Hasn't anyone taught you about the hierarchy of the wizarding world?" asked the professor with a tone of rhetoric in her voice. Harry shook his head without his eyes leaving Professor Albright's.

"Oh, my word, what are they teaching you in that school? Very well, I'll give a crash course in wizarding hierarchy." So began the professor's class lecture.

"Let's start from the beginning. When you leave Hogwarts ... and you will leave Hogwarts as intended, Harry," the professor remarked sternly, looking down at Harry over her bifocals. "You will be a Junior Apprentice in whatever field of work you are suited to do. Depending on how well you do, you will move up to Senior Apprentice, then wizard Third, Second and maybe First class. If you choose a complex and involved field of work, say, medicine, law, accounting, engineering, you can move up the ranks to the level of Alchemist. In medicine, once you acquire the title of Alchemist, Third class, you are required to take the Oral Healer's Oath. It is a binding legal contract that states, 'Under no circumstances can an Alchemist in the Healing arts, knowingly and willfully inflict harm on another living creature. Even in self-defense, he or she must only use enough force, and even then, a mere distraction, to escape danger.' Paracelsus, the name of the order in which all Alchemists in the Healing arts are placed, was a Master Alchemist. He ranked higher than Alchemist, First Class."

"So wait a minute ... Professor Dumbledore was Order of Merlin, Wizard First Class," Harry recalled.

"That's right."

"So," Harry replied excitedly, "you ranked higher than Professor Dumbledore?"

"Oh, yes, Harry. That's not to take away the fact that he was the greatest wizard of his time!"

Harry turned away from Professor Albright for a moment. The look of amazement was still on his face. A moment of silence filled the kitchen. Professor Albright lifted her cup to take another sip. She wanted to give Harry time to digest all that she revealed to him.

Harry was ready to break the silence and continue asking Professor Albright questions. Professor Albright fixed her eyes on Harry. She prepared herself for the next round of questions. She waited patiently as Harry gathered his thoughts.

"As a Healer, did you have a specialty? I mean, did you practice general healing or did you just heal kids, or something?"

"I specialized in genetics and genetic engineering. My sub specialty was Squib genetics. I studied how magical parents could have a Squib."

"Whoa," Harry was amazed at this news. "How are Squibs born, I mean, if they have parents who are wizards?"

"Well, Harry, it's a bit complex. I published several papers on the subject. They are available in the library, but to read them, you must be enrolled in Hogwarts!" insisted Professor Albright. Harry realized where the conversation was leading and surrendered to the professor.

"Alright, Professor. I'll go back, but I'm still going to look..." Harry caught himself. He did not want to reveal his and Dumbledore's secret about the Horcruxes. "... for Snape!"

"You do that, dear," Professor Albright replied sarcastically, feeling victorious.

"So, what's this plan you mentioned before?" Harry continued with his questions.

"Not now, Harry. That's for another time. This has been a trying day for me as well as you. I'm sure all that I've told you has come as a bit of a shock. To be honest, I need to rest awhile." Professor Albright picked up the cup and saucer and continued to drink the rest of her tea, which had now cooled. Harry took the last few sips of his tea then spoke again.

"Professor, there's a bedroom on the first landing. You can rest in there, if you like."

"Why, that's very thoughtful of you, dear, but I really must be going."

Professor Albright placed the empty cup and saucer back on the table then slowly rose from her chair, leaning on her cane for assistance. Harry quickly got up and began helping her. Professor Albright looked up at him with a smile. They proceeded slowly to the foyer and Harry opened the front door for her.

"Will I see you at Hogwarts, Professor?" Harry asked.

"Of course. Who do you think Professor McGonagall tricked into teaching her Transfiguration classes?" Professor Albright replied with cheek.

Professor Albright turned around, carefully walked down the front porch stairs and walked to the curb. Magically, a taxi showed up. Harry watched as the elderly professor got into the taxi. He watched the taxi speed away. Harry knew what he needed to do next. He needed to contact Ron and Hermione, but how? The Weasleys were vacationing in Romania and Hermione was Ginny’s guest, much to Ron’s chagrin.
Chapter 2 From Seed to Harvest by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
Professor Albright has successfully managed to convince Harry to return to Hogwarts and finish his studies. Can she succeed in completing the next task? The wizarding world's fate depends on it. Unfortunately, the one thing standing in her way is a young man, whose greatest fear is a broken heart.

September was just around the corner again. Some leaves had already started changing to the beautiful ambers, burnt oranges and reds. The air offered a fresh breeze, with a slight hint of chill. Harry was lying in his bed. He was almost feeling glad that Professor Albright talked him into returning to Hogwarts for his last year. As he lied in bed, in the second floor bedroom, he looked out the window to watch the daylight grow brighter. Finally, he decided to get up, get washed and dressed. Harry had a train to catch. 

Harry made his way down stairs to get some breakfast. On his way down he could see Professor Albright coming up the walkway. He walked over to the door and opened it to greet the professor.

"Professor, what are you doing here so early in the morning?" Harry smiled.

Professor Albright looked up at Harry and replied, "Checking to see if you are prepared for your trip."

"Well I was just going to make myself some breakfast. Would you like to join me?"

"That would be lovely," Professor Albright replied, looking up at Harry proudly.

Harry led the professor to the kitchen then he began preparing breakfast, which consisted of toast, jam and tea.

"So, are you excited about going back to Hogwarts?" Professor Albright asked.

"Yeah, I guess," Harry replied hesitantly.

"All your friends will be there. Ginny will be there," Professor Albright mentioned, carefully studying Harry's expression.

"Yeah," Harry scoffed, with a mouthful of toast and jam.

"Harry, it was very noble of you, what you did at Professor Dumbledore's funeral. Breaking off your relationship with Ginny was a very thoughtful and responsible thing to do."

" 'cuse me, Professor, but I really don't want to talk about it," Harry grumbled, staring at his tea.

"I understand. Let me just say this. It's not a noble act to live one's life, while denying themselves love. Believe me. I know this first hand. If you are ever going to defeat the Dark Lord, Harry, you have to be willing to accept the support from those who love you. Your mother proved this to be true almost seventeen years ago."

"Professor," Harry began defensively, "do you really think I can defeat Voldemort?" His question was meant to be rhetorical. Professor Albright winced at the Dark Lord's name. She thought for a moment then gave her answer.

"Let's see. You, who haven't even finished your studies, only six years of training, limited knowledge of spells and curses available to you, against the greatest evil wizard of his age, over fifty or more years of magical knowledge and experience to his credit, loyal followers..." Professor Albright had not finished her sentence when Harry interrupted her.

"He's going to kill me. Isn't he?" Harry shuddered, staring straight ahead.

"Well, considering all that has been taken into calculation, that would be the logical conclusion," Professor Albright responded. "But, ...and this is very important, Harry. You have the old magic working in your favor. If you open your heart to Ginny, you will not only have your mother's love you will have the love of a woman, whose love is unconditional. Together, these two loves will not only make your victory over the Dark Lord possible and promising, but ... probable!"

Harry could not speak but only stare at the professor. In his mind he questioned her sanity. He reasoned that she was very old and must not have known what she was saying. Yet, in his heart, he was certain she was right.

It was approaching ten o'clock. The train, as was customary, would be departing for Hogwarts at eleven. Harry returned to his bedroom to finish last minute packing. 

Hedwig was starting to get anxious. She sat on the perch that Harry built for her, which he placed next to his dresser. Harry rose from kneeling next to his trunk. He finished stuffing the last bit of clothing and books. He walked over to Hedwig and petted her side gently with his index finger.

"Are you as anxious as me?" Harry asked her.

Hedwig responded with a coo. Harry took a snack from his pocket and fed it to Hedwig, while the two shared a thoughtful moment. Professor Albright called to Harry from the base of the stairs.

"Harry, we should start our journey now, if we don't want to miss the train."

Harry turned toward the direction of Professor Albright's voice then turned back to Hedwig.

"Com'on," Harry said, encouraging Hedwig to step onto his arm to be led into her cage. "That's it. There you go." Harry closed Hedwig in her cage. He grabbed his trunk and Hedwig's cage and made his way downstairs. As Harry dragged the trunk down the stairs, the trunk made quick, loud thuds as it landed on each step.

"Harry, dear, the taxi is waiting for us outside."

At the train station, Harry grabbed a trolley for his trunk and Hedwig's cage. Suddenly, it dawned on him. How was such a frail, old woman, like the professor, going to get to Hogwarts?

"Professor... uh... are you coming with us to Platform Nine and Three Quarters?"

"Yes, Harry. This is my plan."

"Well, how are you going to get through the gateway? I mean you have to get a running head start." 

"I have it all figured out. Lift Hedwig's cage for a moment."

Harry followed Professor Albright's orders with a puzzled look on his face. Once he lifted the cage, Professor Albright proceeded to sit down on Harry's trunk. 

"Now," said Professor Albright, with her cane on her lap, holding out her bony, thin hands, "give me Hedwig's cage." 

Harry's eyes bulged at the sight of Professor Albright, sitting on the trolley with all his belongings and Hedwig's cage on her lap. Hedwig's cage was so large that all one could see was Professor Albright's little, fragile legs dangling from underneath. 

"Ok, Harry, push the trolley as hard and as fast as you can," Professor Albright commanded. 

Harry pushed the trolley as directed into the brick wall between platforms nine and ten. Instantly, Harry, Professor Albright and Hedwig were taken to Platform Nine and Three Quarters. Harry looked over to see the train. As he helped Professor Albright off the trolley, he could hear familiar voices in the near distance calling his name. It was Ron, Hermione and a voice that pulled most at his heartstrings.

Ron, Hermione and Ginny ran up to Harry, not noticing the old woman standing next to him. They had already loaded their luggage on the train. Harry was happy to see them, especially, Ginny. He had not seen any of them since Bill and Fleur's wedding over the summer. 

A thought in Harry's mind took him back to the wedding. It was a memory he looked back on warmly. Ginny, in all her good humor, asked Harry to dance with her. Harry reluctantly agreed provided that she would be careful of his two left feet. 

The whole time they danced, Harry felt regret in the pit of his stomach. The fact that it was a slow song and required that they danced close to one another did not help things. As Harry glossed over his memory, he could still remember the scent of Ginny's perfume, 'Lilies of the Morning'. He remembered how warm her body felt next to his, the way her one hand rested on his left shoulder, while the other lied softly in his right...

"Harry ... Harry, say something!" Hermione demanded. 

Harry woke out of his daydream. He acknowledged Ron and Hermione, but could not bring himself to look at Ginny. 

"I'm so glad you decided to come back," Hermione declared.

"Yeah mate," Ron added. "It just wouldn't 'ave been the same without you-- our last year an' all."

"Yeah, Professor Albright talked me into it," Harry confessed.

"Yeah, besides who's..." Ron began, but stopped when it registered what Harry had said. "Wait, come again? Did you say Professor Albright, Harry?" 

Hermione had already tuned into what Harry had said, but let Ron do the interrogation.

"Uh... yeah," Harry replied. "Sorry, everyone, this is Professor Rose Malfoy Albright," Harry introduced, stepping aside to let Professor Albright enter the circle. 

Ron, Hermione and Ginny gazed at the old woman; their jaws dropped open and their eyes gaped wide.

"Hello children," Professor Albright greeted with a smile. 

Hermione was the first to break the silence. "Who did you say you were?"

"Rose Malfoy Albright," the professor answered. 

Of course Ron, Hermione and Ginny responded exactly how Rose had predicted, but she was ready for them. 

"MALFOY?" Ron exclaimed screwing up his face, as if saying the name left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"How could you be a Malfoy," Ginny added, finally finding a place in the conversation. 

Harry turned toward Ginny's direction, but avoided making eye contact.

"You'll learn children," Professor Albright began, "not all Malfoys are bad, just as Harry learned from Sirius, that not all Blacks despise half bloods."

"The next thing you know, you'll be telling us that not all Slytherins are bad either," Ron snarled.

"Right you are Mr. Weasley," Professor Albright confirmed.

"And how do you know that? Don't tell us you're a Slytherin too!"

"I was, indeed, a Slytherin when I attended Hogwarts, Miss Granger."

The three stared in disgust at one another, then shot a look back at Harry. Harry could read their faces. 

"Look," Harry began nervously, "I reckon we should be boarding the train. It leaves in five minutes." Harry turned to Professor Albright and asked, "Professor, are you coming on the train with us?"

"No, dear. I must be getting back home."

"Home?" Harry asked with a confused expression on his face.

"Yes."

"Well, where's that?" Harry asked inquisitively, but before Professor Albright could answer, the train conductor yelled out, "All aboard!" 

The train whistle blew just as Professor Albright tried to answer again, but it was no use. Harry waved back at the professor regretfully then leaped onto the train. He watched the professor in the distance as the train pulled away. Ron, Hermione and Ginny had already found a carriage. Harry wondered many things. Where did Professor Albright live and how was she going to get there? There were no wizard taxicabs in London, were there? He decided to join the others.

Harry entered the carriage where the other three were sitting, but before Harry could barely get comfortable in his seat, the three bulldozed him with questions.

"So, who was that little old lady, really, Harry?" Hermione asked accusatively.

"I told you. Professor Albright," Harry answered with an annoyed tone in his voice.

"But, Harry, what do you know about this woman? How do you know she is who she says she is?"

"Look Hermione, I believe her," Harry replied. "I know what you're thinking and you're wrong. I was with her for the past two weeks. She visited me at Sirius' house. She's a member of the Order. If she was going to do anything to me, she would have done it already."

"I suppose, but what made her find you?"

"Professor McGonagall sent her to talk me into coming back to Hogwarts." 

"How do you know her intentions are good? Maybe it's some other plot to get you off track from finding the Horcruxes," Hermione proposed.

"Yeah, Harry," Ron joined in, "who knows who she is? She could be another spy for You-Know-Who."

"Ron, you're wrong. Look, I drilled her as much as I could. She was able to answer my questions without tripping up once. She told me about what happened to my mother's parents. No one told me before, not even my aunt and uncle."

"Well, she could be who she says she is," Ginny re-entered the conversation.

"Well, maybe so, but I think you should discuss this with Professor McGonagall the moment we arrive," Hermione insisted.

"You know, that's not a bad idea," Ron admitted, smiling at Hermione. "No wonder you got Head Girl this year!"

"Head Girl!" Harry exclaimed happily. "Congratulations, Hermione."

"Thanks," Hermione replied shyly.

The tension in the carriage began to subside and the conversation quickly switched to the anticipated events of the upcoming school year. 

The train arrived at Hogwarts, and the evening darkness was closing in quickly. All the students settled into their dormitories. Harry, Ron and Hermione stayed in the Common Room. They wanted to talk about the Horcruxes. They sat around a small table in the corner. 

"So, Harry, tell us about your hunt for the Horcruxes," Ron invited anxiously.

"What's to tell? I still have to get four. The fifth one is still inside Voldemort. I can't touch that one until the remaining ones are found and destroyed," Harry replied disappointedly.

"Well, do you know what the other four are?" Hermione asked.

"Well, I'm certain of three, Helga Hufflepuff's cup, Slytherin's locket and Nagini the snake. Nagini was a consultation prize for Voldemort not getting Gryffindor's sword."

"So, what's the fourth," Ron asked.

"It's something from Ravenclaw," Harry replied. "I'm sure it is. Dumbledore and I figured it out before..." Harry's voice trailed off. The thought of Dumbledore's demise opened an old wound. "We knew it had to be something from Ravenclaw, but what exactly, neither one of us could figure out."

The trio was quiet for a moment. Hermione's brow was furled from being in deep thought. Desperate to change the subject, Ron asked questions about the following day's classes.

"Who do you think will be teaching the Dark Arts class this year?"

"Who knows," Harry replied. "One thing's for sure, Snape won't be teaching either Potions or Dark Arts."

"And on that note, it's getting late. I'm going to bed and you two would be wise to do the same," Hermione insisted. 

The boys agreed and the three retired to their dorm rooms.

Morning started and the students began to gather in the Great Hall. The students were having breakfast. Harry was eager to get to his first class, Defense Against the Dark Arts. He was curious to see who the professor was. Breakfast was over and it was time to go to first period classes.

The Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom was full of all kinds of artifacts, weapons and tools commonly used by Aurors past and present. Many of these items were used to catch Death Eaters and other wizards that, as Hagrid once put it, had gone wrong. The classroom was filled with the chatter of students, but soon was silenced by the loud entrance made by Mad-Eye Moody. Harry's heart leaped with excitement. He knew this was the real Mad-Eye Moody. He was glad he took Professor Albright's advice. He was glad to be back where he felt like he was in his element. 

Before Harry knew it, the day was half over. He, Ron and Hermione were sitting outside during the break session. Hermione knew that Harry had not spoken to Professor McGonagall yet. She decided to restate her suggestion about talking to Professor McGonagall, regarding Professor Albright.

"Harry," Hermione began, knowing full well what Harry's answer would be, "have you spoken to Professor McGonagall about Professor Albright?"

"No, not yet. I've been meaning to, though," Harry replied, a bit agitated that Hermione was pressing the issue.

"Well, how long are you going to wait?"

"Hermione, I said I'd go see her, and I will. I just haven't had a chance!"

"Well, what's keeping you?"

"The Horcruxes. I just can't stop wondering where they are, or what the last one might be."

"Harry, knowing who this old woman really is... well, don't you think if you knew, it might clue you in as to the whereabouts of the Horcruxes?" 

Harry looked at Hermione and thought for a moment. Once again, as much as it annoyed him to admit it, Hermione had a good point.

"Look, at the end of the day, I'll go straight to McGongall's office," Harry promised, surrendering to Hermione's assault. 

Harry stood in front of the doors that once opened to Professor Dumbledore's office. He had to keep reminding himself that the office was home to the new head mistress, Professor McGonagall. As head of Hogwarts, she was left with the responsibility of maintaining a safe place to teach new wizards. Quite a responsibility, Harry thought. 

The doors opened slowly to reveal the office now occupied by the woman sitting behind Dumbledore's desk. She sat straight up as if a pole had been placed down the back of her robes. Her hands were folded and resting on the desk.

"Come in, Potter," Professor McGonagall invited. "Sit down." 

Harry entered the office and sat down on one of the seats on the opposite side of the desk. 

"What's on your mind?" Professor McGonagall inquired.

"Professor, a couple of weeks ago, while I went to visit my parents' graves, I met up with an old woman. She claimed to be a Hogwarts professor."

Professor McGonagall's body language indicated to Harry that she was most interested in Harry's thoughts on this new being in his life. She moved forward into their conversation, straining her body against the desk. She did not look surprised, the way Harry would have expected. She had a slight hint of a smile in the corner of her mouth.

"What did she look like, Harry?"

"Well, she was quite old of course. She wore a large red and gold robe," Harry recalled, struggling with the description. Then he remembered the one important thing he noticed. "She didn't have a wand."

Professor McGonagall's face still held the same unsurprised expression. "And what did she tell you her name was?"

"Rose Malfoy Albright," Harry replied.

"And this concerns you?"

"Well, at first it did. I mean, she could have been a Death Eater, but the longer I spent time with her, the more I realized she was telling me the truth."

"So what's bothering you now, Harry?"

"Well, Hermione said..." Harry began to explain, but Professor McGonagall cut him off. 

"Ah, Hermione! Harry, the old woman you met is, in fact, Professor Albright," Professor McGonagall reassured him. 

"Professor..." Harry tried to ask another question, but again he was cut off.

"Harry, I contacted Professor Albright after I had heard you were not returning to Hogwarts. I just figured you would be more receptive to someone whose mannerisms were more like Professor Dumbledore's than mine."

Harry realized she was right. Professor Albright did remind him a little of the late headmaster. Harry needed to know what else Professor McGonagall knew about Professor Albright.

"Professor, did you know she was tried for killing seven Death Eaters?"

"Yes, Harry. I know a great deal about her, but it's not for me to tell you. If you wish to know more about her, you need to ask her yourself."

"How am I supposed to do that? I don't even know where she..." Again, Harry was interrupted, only this time it was by a knock on the office door.

"Come in," Professor McGonagall called out, leaning to one side to get a better view of the doorway. 

Harry strained his neck as he turned his head to see who it was. Harry's mouth opened and his eyes widened. The last person he expected to see was standing in the open doorway.

"Rose," greeted Professor McGonagall. 

She stood up from her chair, walked around the desk to where Professor Albright was standing in the office and put her arms gently around Professor Albright. Professor McGonagall helped Professor Albright to a seat next to Harry, who was sitting on the edge of his, with his mouth agape in amazement.

Professor Albright sat down next to Harry and looked at him. "Are you a Venus Fly Trap?"

Harry shook his head no while his stare remained fixed on her. 

"Then close your mouth," Professor Albright ordered. Harry closed his mouth instantly. "So, dear, how are classes?"

Harry was taken back by the professor's question. It was as if Harry was expected to think all of this was perfectly normal.

"Uh, ok," Harry replied, still confused with the latest events. 

Professor McGonagall and Professor Albright exchanged small conversation and then Professor McGonagall offered to show Professor Albright to staff quarters, where she would be staying for the term. Harry followed. 

As Harry watched the two professors he noticed that Professor McGonagall slipped something into Professor Albright's hand. Professor Albright quickly slid it into her robe. After Professor McGonagall left Harry and Professor Albright in staff quarters, Harry went right into his interrogation.

"Professor, when did you get here? How did you get here?" Harry was growing more suspicious of the professor. Maybe Ron and Hermione were right. Maybe the professor was a spy.

"Well, to answer your first question, I arrived here about an hour ago. To answer your second question, Hagrid was good enough to bring me here."

"Here from where?"

"Harry, I prefer to discuss my permanent residence with you some other time."

"Why? Why is it such a secret?"

"Harry, it's not important right now. What is important is how you are doing."

"I'm fine, but confused."

"Harry, I feel a need to change the subject," Professor Albright said sternly, looking over her bifocals again. "So, how's Ginny?"

"I don't know," Harry groaned.

"I take it you haven't tried to talk to her." 

"No, and I don't have any intention. Professor, I can't be with Ginny right now. I have to find..." He caught himself again. "Snape, and I can't do that if I have to worry about Ginny getting hurt."

"What makes you think she'll get hurt? You doubt her abilities to handle herself?"

"Yes... I mean no. Look, Volde... He tried to get to me through Ginny one time before. If He or his Death Eaters were to find out that Ginny and I were together, he'd try it again."

"And what makes you think Ginny would let this happen?"

"I dunno, but He's very clever. Besides, I just can't take that chance. If anything happened to Ginny, I couldn't deal with it. My mind wouldn't accept it."

"Well, so you do still have feelings for her, I see."

Harry looked down on the floor, avoiding Professor Albright's gaze. He knew she was looking through him. He could not hide the fact that he still loved Ginny.

"Harry, you know what your problem is? You think this is all about you. This war with Voldemort and his Death Eaters only concerns you. BUT-IT-DOES-NOT. Your parents' deaths, the scar on your forehead--incidentals! Mere incidentals. This war has been going on long before you, your parents or even I ever existed."

"Professor, if I get back together with Ginny, she's going to want to come with me. She's going to want to fight the Dark Lord right along with me. I can't let her do that. I can't allow her to risk her life!"

"Harry, what makes you think she would be helping you fight your fight? Didn't it ever occur to you that Ginny has her own battle to fight?" Professor Albright proposed.

Harry listened intently to the professor now. She was introducing him to a concept he had never considered.

"Ginny has had her family threatened by Him too, or are you forgetting Mr. Weasley's brush with death at the Dark Lord's hands? Ginny, also has been close to death at his hands, more than you have ever been. Harry, whether you accept this fact or not, Ginny has her own battle to fight, and she will need a strong man to be where she needs him most. Not in front of her, standing between her and the Dark Lord. Not behind her, hiding. She will need him by her side, fighting next to her, as her equal, partners in love and in war, on the battlefield and ... in the home." Professor Albright watched for Harry's reaction to this last sentence. By the look on Harry's face, she knew he understood what she meant. She wanted him to accept his destiny. She wanted him to realize that Ginny was meant to be his partner for life. 

"So, with everything that has been said," Professor Albright continued, "my only question to you is, when the time comes, and it's only a question of when, not if, but when the time comes for Ginny to fight her own battle with the Dark Lord, where will you be, Harry? Where-Will-You-Be?"

The weeks at school passed quickly. Harry and Ginny maintained a close friendship, being cautious not to trigger any rumors about their relationship being anything more than just platonic. Quidditch practice and competitions were going well. Gryffindor's team was in first place. Harry, Ron and Ginny were in good spirits about this. Hermione tried hard to understand the game, but struggled. 

Hermione had something more important on her mind. She was trying to deal with her feelings for Ron. For over two years she had been struggling with her emotions over him. How could it be, she would ask herself from time to time. Yet, the answer always seemed clear. Ron was sensitive, kind, funny and even more surprisingly, smart!

Hermione sat in the library staring out into space. Her History of Magic book was opened and papers were strewed in front of her on the desk. Suddenly, she was awakened from her daydream by the voice of an elderly woman.

"Hermione, dear," Professor Albright greeted, as she approached the desk.

"Uh, hi, Professor Albright..." Hermione respectfully returned the greeting. "What are you doing here?" 

"I've been making my rounds," Professor Albright replied, fixing a place at the desk, across from Hermione.

"So, do you live close to the school?" Hermione began her inquiry.

"No, dear. I live in London, not too far from the Ministry."

"Harry said you had been in trouble with the law."

"Yes, but that was years ago."

"He told us you killed seven Death Eaters after they killed your husband."

"What else did Harry tell you?" Professor Albright asked, displaying some annoyance.

"Well, the Ministry punished you by taking away your wand and title. Is it true? Were you an Alchemist in the Healing arts?"

"Yes, dear. Does that interest you?"

"Well, I'm considering going into the Healing arts after I leave Hogwarts."

"Well, then, perhaps I can council you."

Hermione's eyes widened at the idea. She had become familiar with Rose Malfoy Albright, since the moment she was introduced to her. Hermione had been conducting her own secret investigation. By now she knew more about Professor Albright than Harry, but never led on about her knowledge. Hermione found out about the professor's assignment on a secret plan against the Death Eaters. She found out that Dumbledore made arrangements with the Ministry of Magic to allow the professor to work for the Ministry's Defense Department. 

"I'd like that very much," Hermione replied, smiling shyly.

"Now then, that's settled, let's talk about your other situation," Professor Albright suggested, looking over her bifocals.

"What other situation?" Hermione quipped with a guilty look on her face.

"The situation between you and Harry's other good friend."

"What? I don't know what you're talking about," Hermione denied defensively.

"Hermione, there's no need to hide it. It's plainly obvious your attraction for Mr. Weasley. Ronald is quite a strapping young bloke. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do." 

Hermione realized it was no use. Professor Albright saw right through the facade.

"So, what do I do about it...I mean, my situation," Hermione asked in a helpless tone.

"Well, dear, if I were you, I'd make myself a little more open to Ronald."

"How?"

"Well, when he makes a joke, laugh. When he says something that is less than... er... intelligent, just smile. When he starts to talk about Quidditch, listen intently. Go to the games and make it clear you're his biggest fan."

Hermione listened to Professor Albright's advice and realized that these were all good points. If Hermione was ever going to get Ron to ask her out, and not just as friends, she was going to have to make herself approachable. 

Professor Albright decidedly was on a mission to make a pair between Ron and Hermione and Harry and Ginny. 

The professor, being a Slytherin, had her reasons. She had a plan, a strategy and she was determined to make it work. Her next two targets would be Ron and Ginny. She did not have much time before the Halloween Feast that Friday night. She needed to make it back to the Ministry to continue her work on the secret weapon against the Death Eaters. 

Ron was walking down one of the stairways to the Great Hall when Professor Albright saw her chance to pull him aside and work the one magic she possessed. 

"Mr. Weasley," Professor Albright called out. Ron turned toward her. 

"Professor Albright, you're up early," Ron noted, smiling down on her wrinkled, be-speckled face. 

"You certainly are a tall drink of water, Mr. Weasley," Professor Albright commented, looking up at Ron. She went straight to work, however, making sure to use every bit of time she had before the two made it to the entrance of the Great Hall. "So, who are you taking to the Halloween Feast this Friday night?"

Ron was startled by her question. Why would Professor Albright be interested in his affairs? Not to be impolite, Ron humored her with an answer.

"Well, uh, I don't know really. There was someone I was considering, but I been having second thoughts."

"And why is that? Does Hermione intimidate you that much?" Professor Albright asked with the same look, peering over her bifocals, as was her character to do so when catching someone off guard.

Ron was shocked by Professor Albright's blunt question. How did she know about Hermione? Harry must have said something to herThen again, why would Harry say anything to Professor Albright about him and Hermione? Ron knew he was cornered. He had no choice, but to give her an answer.

"Well, I'm not intimidated by her...exactly. I just can't tell if she likes me that way. I mean, I like her that way...I think, but I can't tell how she feels about me. For all I know, she still thinks about Victor Krum."

"Trust me, Mr. Weasley, Mr. Krum is no threat to you anymore. Let me give you some advice on how to tell when a young lady likes you," Professor Albright began her lesson. 

Ron listened eagerly.

"First off, if a young lady likes a bloke, she'll laugh at his jokes, smile when he shares his inner most thoughts, root for him when he plays his favorite sports. These are things that she does to let him know, in her own special way, how she really feels about him."

"Well, Hermione does root for me during our Quidditch matches. Sometimes, she can even be a bit embarrassing," Ron confided, letting out a small chuckle.

"Ah ha! Now you see? There you go. That's a sign, a very good sign."

"Yeah," Ron agreed confidently.

They made it to the entrance of the Great Hall. Professor Albright had to go find Ginny, so she bade Ron good-bye and good luck. Ron thanked the professor then quickly joined Hermione and Harry at the breakfast table. 

Professor Albright spotted Ginny from the landing of the second stair well. She waited at the bottom for Ginny. Ginny happily greeted her.

"Good morning, Professor Albright."

"Why, good morning, dear," Professor Albright replied brightly, eager to work her magic. "I'm so glad I bumped into you. I've been meaning to talk to you for a while now."

"Oh, I'd love to, Professor, but I'm late for breakfast. I have an exam in Potions today."

"Oh, I see. Well, this will just take a moment. I was wondering, how are you and Harry doing? I don't mean to pry, but you know, Harry is quite a sensitive young man and I'm concerned for him. You know, he's really very fond of you."

Ginny did not know what to say to her. As usual, Professor Albright caught Ginny off guard. What could she say to the professor? Ginny knew how she really felt about Harry, but since Professor Dumbledore's funeral, she had been trying to maintain a friendship and nothing more, all at Harry's request.

"Professor, I like Harry very much, but he thinks it's best that we only be friends. He's so afraid of You-Know-Who," Ginny whispered. 

"Yes, I know, but you can't deny yourselves love because of that. You'd just be doing the one thing You-Know-Who wants you to do. You'd both be denying yourselves the one thing the Dark Lord fears. It is the one thing that could defeat him."

Ginny thought about what Professor Albright said. It was true; she and Harry were denying themselves the one thing that could probably defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. 

"You know, the Halloween Feast is this Friday night. I couldn't imagine a better time to discuss getting back together with Harry," Professor Albright suggested. She could tell by the look on Ginny's face that the seed had been successfully planted. It would not be long before the fruits of her labors would yield the greatest harvest yet.

Friday was here. Professor Albright had already departed back to the Ministry. As she planned, the two couples were attending the party that evening, along with Harry and Ron's three other dorm mates, Seamus Finningan, Dean Thomas and Neville Longbottom. 

The five dorm mates were dressed in costume as were Hermione and Ginny. Ginny was dressed as an old Druid witch; Hermione was dressed like a cat. 

The five dorm mates were dressed like knights in shining armor. They wore gray sweat suits with the knightly armor silk screened to their suits, a belt that held a sword and faux armor gloves. Each dorm mate had a sign taped to his chest indicating which knight he was. Harry's sign said 'First', Ron's sign said, 'Last', Seamus' sign said 'To', Dean's sign said 'Tomorrow' and poor Neville's sign said, 'Not To'. 

Hermione looked at Neville then asked, "Neville, why does your sign say 'not to'?"

"Because that's what Lavender tells me every night," replied a disgruntled Neville.

The group left for the party. At the party Hermione and Ron danced a slow dance together. Hermione did as Professor Albright advised. She laughed at Ron's jokes, listened to all his ideas, smiled a lot and even held his hand. 

Ginny asked Harry if they could have a private moment together. Ginny wanted to talk to Harry about their relationship.

"Harry," Ginny began nervously, "something Professor Albright said, when she spoke to me earlier this week, made a lot of sense."

"Yeah," Harry chuckled, "and what was that?"

"I know you're concerned about You-Know-Who doing something to me, if He ever found out we were dating, but I don't think that's a reason why we should remain just friends."

Harry felt that Ginny had a nerve to drag him away from the party to talk to him about something like this.

"I don't want to talk about this right now," Harry grunted. "If this is what you wanted to talk about, I think we should go back to the party." 

Ginny became insulted by Harry's cold reply. "Why, Harry?"

"Ginny, don't spoil it. I was having a great time with you tonight, and now you have to go and spoil it!"

"Harry, I think Professor Albright is right. We shouldn't deny ourselves the love we have for each other. She even suggested we could see each other secretly."

Harry looked at Ginny for a moment. Professor Albright actually suggested they see each other secretly? And what's this about love? Love is something Harry just figured he was not entitled to. Everyone he ever loved was killed, but here she was. Ginny Weasley was standing before him. Could they see each other secretly? Would it be possible that he could be with Ginny, in spite of the impending danger? No! He could not take the chance. If something happened, if somehow their secret got out and something happened to her...his mind would not accept it. 

Harry realized then, he did not just love Ginny as a friend; he was in love with her. She was the one thing that caused him to lose his concentration; distracted him from his hunt for the Horcruxes; repeatedly entered his thoughts uninvited and visited him in his dreams. It would be her death that would put him over the edge and make him do the unspeakable. She had control over him like some strange Imperious curse. She could make him lose control. How could it be? She was the one girl, the only girl that ever loved him unconditionally. He knew in his heart that she was the only girl for him. How could she be such a--threat?

"Harry? Harry!" Ginny repeated. 

"Ginny," Harry began, escaping from his racing thoughts, "I would love to be with you. The idea of having a secret relationship with you sounds too good to be true, but if someone should find out..." Harry's voice trailed off. He turned to look away from Ginny. For a moment he dared to think of the possibility then realized what would be at stake. "Ginny, if we were to start dating again, you'd have to promise me something," Harry remarked sternly.

"Yeah and what's that," Ginny asked eagerly.

"That you would be careful."

"Careful about what?" Ginny asked, knowing very well what Harry was referring to.

"Careful about where you go, not to get caught anywhere, unsafe. Always let me or Ron or Hermione know where you are..." Harry answered, his voice trailed off. He could see by the look on Ginny's smirking face that she was not taking his concerns seriously.

"Harry, what are you so worried about?" Ginny giggled.

"He and his Death Eaters are out there, Ginny! Everyone I've ever cared about has been hurt or killed on their account. My mind wouldn't accept it if something happened to you," Harry confessed, feeling vulnerable as he looked down on the ground, avoiding Ginny's gaze.

"What would you do if something did happen to me," Ginny asked teasingly.

"I dunno know. Probably die of a broken heart," Harry replied with a mournful expression on his face.

Ginny saw that Harry was taking the conversation extremely seriously. It began to dawn on her that Harry's fears were real to him, as if he had dreamt them.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to tease you like that. I just can't believe that the guy that I've had such a crush on, loves me almost as much as I love him," Ginny replied tenderly.

"It really scares me when I think about you," Harry confided. "If something were to happen, I don't know what I'd do." He continued to look down on the ground. "I'd feel so lost. It scares me to think about it."

"Harry, I promise I'll be careful," Ginny replied.

Harry looked into Ginny's eyes. "Think of how much you'd hurt your parents. Think about how much you'd hurt me," Harry murmured.

"I love you. I won't hurt you. I promise I'll be careful," Ginny whispered. 

Harry thought some more, but it was no use. It would be selfish of him to risk the life of someone so dear to him simply because, the very person he was trying to protect had broken his will. "No, Ginny. I can't."

Harry tried to avoid having anymore eye contact with her. He was feeling very vulnerable. A thought was running through his head. This isn't how a guy should act. You need to get the upper hand. Don't show your feelings. The voice in his head had almost won, but Ginny had the advantage.

Ginny realized at this moment that Harry didn't just love her as a friend. Harry loved her as someone with whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life. Harry Potter, the boy she loved for all these years, the boy she tried to forget, but could not, the boy who taught her about unconditional love, was just as much in love with her, as she was with him. Ginny smiled at Harry, then she had an idea.

"Harry, I'll make a deal with you. Let me kiss you, just this once. After that, if you still feel it's not right, then I won't bother you again." 

Harry looked back at Ginny as a doubtful smile formed in the corner of his mouth. He raised his eyebrows and shook his head, as if to ask, 'You just don't know when to give up, do you?' He looked into her chocolate brown eyes. He started to feel himself get lost in them and immediately turned away.

"Harry, it's only one kiss," Ginny tempted convincingly. 

She gently rested her hands on his shoulders. She was close enough for Harry to breathe the scent of her perfume. She tried to catch his eye. Harry did all he could to avoid making eye contact with her, but her eyes eventually caught his. Harry was done. 

"One little kiss, Harry?" Ginny whispered sweetly, feigning a pleading look. 

Harry felt like his insides had turned to pudding. "Just one," he conceded. "After that, if it doesn't feel right..." Harry could not finish his sentence. He was looking into those eyes. If it didn't feel right, he thought to himself. Who was he kidding? He knew it was going to feel right. It was going to feel more right than it had a right to! 

Ginny smiled triumphantly. The little devilish smile on her lips caused a shock wave of electricity to tingle inside Harry's stomach. His heart began to beat very rapidly. Ginny pulled him in closer then gently placed her lips on his. Harry closed his eyes and allowed himself to put his arms around her waist. Ginny held her kiss for what seemed like an eternity, then gently pulled back to review her work. Harry opened his eyes and looked helplessly into Ginny's. She won. She knew it. Harry knew it too.

"So, how good are you at keeping a secret," Ginny asked with the same little devilish smile on her lips. 

Harry took a deep breath and gulped, "I'm brilliant!"

Chapter 3 The Importance of Being Whole by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
Percy has returned home and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley could not be happier. Unfortunately, they are the only ones in the family that are overjoyed. Unfortunately for Percy, his siblings are not quite as receptive, especially Ron. How does one make a child understand a parent’s feelings for a child? Perhaps, Professor Albright has the answer.

I wish to thank Pheonixflame for beta reading this chapter. Her undying support has made it possible for me to get my story up on this site.

Percy Weasley stared at the picture hanging on his wall, in his office at the Ministry of Magic. It was Friday afternoon. He kept playing the same painful scene in his head, over and over again. Penelope Clearwater had given him the boot. She told him how tired she was of having to take a backseat to his ambitions. The truth about Voldemort's return and Dumbledore's consequential death was the straw that broke the camel's back. Discovering the truth about Fudge being under the influence of the Imperious curse added to Percy's woeful feelings of guilt. 

His father was right all this time, he thought to himself. They were just out to get my family. Then another idea abruptly pushed its way to the front of Percy's thoughts. What am I saying? I'm not the failure here. The Ministry failed me! It took Dad over twenty years to get promoted. Big deal! He heads a department that deals with counterfeit spells! Stupidest thing I've ever heard! I got promoted only after two years! So, who cares about that thing with Crouch? I'm Scrimgeour's boy now! Percy stopped for a moment. Scrimgeour, the vampire? Even Percy had to concede, being this Minister's right hand man was nothing to be proud of.

Dolores Umbridge's feigning support and false appreciation for Percy, while she was torturing Harry for standing up to her, did not make things any better. She got Dumbledore ousted from his position, albeit temporarily, at Hogwarts! There's nothing wrong with me, or the Ministry. There's good and bad apples wherever you go. Percy tried to rationalize everything that was going on around him, but it was no use. Percy knew he had been had. Somewhere, somehow, some of the members of the Ministry were supporting Voldemort's cause, and Percy fell right into their trap, which helped them gain advantage. What do I do now? he thought. 

The people he thought he could trust in the Ministry were, for lack of a more sophisticated expression, untrustworthy. Where could he go now? Not back to his family, after everything he had said and done to parents-- especially his father. No. I can't go back home. They'll never let me live it down. How could he expect his father to forgive him? Percy felt the need to go for a walk. It was the middle of the afternoon. On his way down, he met someone from the Treasury Department. 

"Oh, Percy," summoned the little beady-eyed man, "you wouldn't happen to be on your way to Gringotts, would you?"

"Well, no, not really. Why?" Percy inquired.

"These checks need to be deposited before the bank closes and unfortunately, I have an important engagement with Scrimgeour. It's my fault. I had the checks sitting on my desk for over a week and I guess, well, I procrastinated too long."

"I can take them for you," Percy offered.

"Oh, bless you, dear boy, bless you!" replied the little man, as he stuffed the checks in Percy's hand and ran off.

Percy laughed for a moment then Apparated over to Gringotts. He suddenly remembered his brother, Bill, worked there. Even though Bill was disappointed in Percy's behavior, Percy knew that Bill was still a good person to talk to. He figured, perhaps, having to go to the bank was a good omen.

Percy arrived at Gringotts and ventured inside. He walked over to one of the goblins sitting behind the tellers' desk.

"Excuse me, would it be possible to see William Weasley? I'm his brother, Percy." 

The goblin, behaving rather coldly, as goblins were known to do, looked down his nose at Percy, then replied with a raspy, elf-like voice, "Wait here. I will summon him."

"Thank you," Percy replied, forcing himself to be polite.

The goblin rose from his chair and went through the door behind him. A moment later a tall, slender, good-looking man, with some scars on his face, walked out to meet Percy. Bill's bright red hair and good looks were striking. Some would have thought he was the most handsome of all the Weasleys had it not been for the scars on his face, compliments of Fenrir Greyback, the werewolf.

Bill walked up to the gate that separated the staff from the public, unhooked the latch and opened it to allow Percy entrance.

"To what do I owe this pleasure, little brother?" Bill asked.

Percy could sense the sarcasm in his elder brother's voice. It was understandable and Percy had expected some resistance from Bill.

"Bill, I have some checks from the Ministry that need to be deposited," Percy explained. He tried to not let on that he had anything else on his mind. He was glad to see Bill. He sensed a comfort in seeing his older brother that he had not experienced before. 

"Is that it?" Bill asked, rather indignantly. "Is that why you brought me out here?" Bill looked at Percy, shrugged his shoulders, and then said, "Okay, come on in." 

Percy followed Bill into his office.

"Take a seat, Percy," Bill invited, with a smirk on his face. 

Percy sat down across from Bill, who flipped through the checks.

"You know, you could have just let one of the tellers take care of these," informed Bill, sensing that Percy had something else on his mind. 

Percy sat quietly, watching Bill. He wanted to say something. He wanted to tell Bill what was on his mind, but he didn't know how to start.

Bill looked up from the checks on his desk, and bluntly asked Percy, "So what's this really about? I know something's up. You look like rubbish."

Percy's mouth dropped open. This was the break he was looking for. Who would have guessed Bill would break the ice? 

"I've been thinking about things lately," Percy nervously confided.

"Yeah, like what?"

"Everything that's happened. The Ministry. People I should have never trusted. Dumbledore's death..." Percy's voice trailed off.

"Yeah...and?"

Then Percy said it. "Dad was right." 

Bill smiled at Percy. 'Finally,' Bill thought, 'Percy had come to his senses.' He replied, "Dad usually is. Have you spoken to Penelope about that?" 

Percy felt as if Bill was seeing right through him now. "Penelope...left me." Percy looked away from Bill.

"Oh, I see," Bill replied, now understanding the whole story. "So, it took the loss of someone you loved to make you come to your senses," Bill deduced, his face held a stern look. "You know, it's okay to be ambitious and all that, but if it's going to cost you the things that mean the most to you, it's not really worth it now, is it?" Bill preached. 

Percy could say nothing to this. A lump formed in his throat. He slowly shook his head. 

"So, what do you want to do now?" Bill asked. 

Percy thought for a moment. He was hoping Bill would say something like, 'Well let's go home to Mom and Dad and I'll help you clear everything up,' but he did not. Percy knew he had to express this wish to Bill in order to receive an invitation.

"Well, I was hoping I could talk to Dad," Percy confessed, studying Bill's expression.

"I suppose that would be a good start. It's good that you finally came to your senses and realized how much you need your family," Bill said somewhat smugly. 

"Wait. I didn't say anything about needing anyone! I don't need anyone, Bill!" Percy snapped.

"Percy, I didn't mean anything by it. I just meant that it's good that you finally got your priorities straight," Bill clarified. 

Percy glared at Bill. This was not going as well as he had hoped. He was hoping for a simple invitation to ease back into the family. Apparently, Bill was not going to let him get off that easily. 

"Look, Bill, if you think the only reason I'm here, talking to you, is because you think I can't handle it out there, you're wrong. I'm doing just fine! I've been on my own for over two years now, and I've been doing great without Mum and Dad's help, or anyone else's help for that matter!" Percy growled defensively.

"Hey, Percy, take it easy. You know that pride of yours is going to get you in a heap of trouble one of these days. Look, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to offend you. I think it's great that you want to talk to Dad," Bill calmly replied.

Percy relaxed back in his chair. He knew he was not fooling his elder brother. Bill was well aware of how much it would mean to his parents, if Percy were to return to the family. Yet, at the same time, he felt an obligation toward them as well that Percy return to them on proper terms. On the one hand, Bill could be held responsible for a terrible backfire if Percy's and his parents' reunion did not go over well. On the other hand, he didn't want to be the one to blame for Percy's decision to never want to come back.

"Hey, Percy, do you really want to clear things up with Dad?" Bill asked sincerely, looking directly into Percy sulking eyes.

Percy looked back at Bill, a slight smile formed in the corner of his mouth. "Yeah." He answered solemnly.

"Okay. Here's the plan. I'm meeting Dad back at the Ministry at five. Mum invited Fleur and me over for dinner. Meet us outside then," Bill instructed, with a reassuring smile. "I'm sure Mum will be happy to have another guest. You know how she is -- always room for one more. She'll want to fatten you up. Look at you. You're a bloody rail!"

Percy smiled at the thought of coming home to his mother's cooking. Molly Weasley was a wonderful cook. Percy got up from Bill's desk. Bill led Percy back out to the main lobby of the bank.

"So, five o'clock," Bill confirmed. 

"Thanks." Percy smiled and nodded. 

Five o'clock arrived. Bill waited outside the Ministry for his father. Mr. Weasley stepped out the front door of the Ministry five minutes after five. He greeted Bill. 

"So, we ready to go?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"Uh, almost," Bill replied. "Were having another guest for dinner."

Mr. Weasley looked puzzled. Bill gestured toward the door of the Ministry. It did not take long for Percy to walk out through it. Mr. Weasley's jaw dropped. His heart leaped. Bill watched his father's reaction with glee. Percy stared at his father for a moment then greeted him sheepishly. It was not with the same formal, cold greeting he had given his father last Christmas. The casual greeting said everything to Mr. Weasley that he had desperately longed to hear.

"Hi, Dad." Percy smiled at Mr. Weasley nervously.

Mr. Weasley could not speak. He smiled and acknowledged Percy with a nod of approval. Mr. Weasley looked at Bill and shared a thoughtful moment.

"Well, let's go. Your mother will never let us hear the end of it if we're late," Mr. Weasley joked. The three began their journey back to the Burrow.

Molly Weasley was busy at the stove, preparing Friday night dinner. Everyone, except Charlie, Ron and Ginny, would be eating at the Burrow that evening. Fleur was assisting Molly in the kitchen. The aroma floated out of the windows into the chilly November air.

Mr. Weasley, Bill and Percy arrived at the Burrow, taking in the aroma from the kitchen. Mr. Weasley opened the door. Mrs. Weasley turned around and hurried over to greet him. Bill followed behind Mr. Weasley, but Percy hesitated, watching from the threshold. Fleur followed in pursuit with Mrs. Weasley to greet Bill.

"Arthur, dear, Bill, get cleaned up. Dinner is almost ready," Molly announced.

"Er, do we have room for one more?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"Why, who's..." But before Molly could finish, she caught a glimpse of Percy standing in the doorway.

"Percy!" Molly squealed with joy, dashing over to him and throwing her arms around his neck.

"Hi, Mum," Percy murmured, starting to feel the lump form in his throat again.

"Well, of course we have room!" Molly assured, taking Percy by the hand and leading him to the table. "You sit right here," Molly insisted, seating Percy down next to her side of the table.

Soon the rest of the Weasleys arrived. Fred and George walked into the house and stopped briskly in their tracks when they saw Percy sitting at the dinner table.

"Well, boys, don't just stand there. Sit down, dinner is ready," Molly ordered, hurrying Fred and George to their seats. 

Everyone ate their meal quietly. No one was sure what to say. Percy was a disturbing presence to Fred and George. Arthur and Molly would occasionally look up from their meal to observe the others. Molly would periodically ask a question, eager to make small talk, in order to break the unbearable silence. Except for the sound of silverware clanging against a dish, very little sound was heard. The tick tock from the clock on the wall had never sounded louder. 

"So, what else is new?" Molly asked, looking at the faces around the table, searching for someone to respond. 

No one said a word. Percy subconsciously rested his fork on his dish, and stared at a bowl of meatballs. The silence was starting to get to him as well, but he did not dare look up to meet the eyes of any of his siblings. He could feel the stings from Fred and George sitting across from him. He strained to look out of the corner of his eye to see what his father was doing. 

Suddenly, Fleur rose to the occasion and broke what seemed to be an eternity of deafening silence. "I'm pregnant."

Everyone immediately stopped chewing and looked up at Fleur. They looked at one another. Molly looked at Arthur in shock. The shock subsided. She jumped out of her chair and ran over to Fleur.

"A baby! Did you hear that, Arthur?" Molly screamed, grabbing Fleur around the neck and chest. "We're going to be grandparents!" 

Bill sat still, looking at Fleur with just as much of a surprised expression as everyone else.

"Congratulations, Fleur, Bill!" Percy exclaimed, relieved that the silence had been broken. 

Molly moved over to stand between Bill and Fleur. She had her arms stretched around both of them. "Well, this calls for a celebration. We have so much to celebrate. What say we have a big dinner next Saturday night? This way Charlie, Ron, and Ginny can join us too." 

The following Saturday arrived before Percy knew it. He was getting dressed in his London apartment, not far from the Ministry. He was feeling a bit apprehensive. Percy remembered the letter he sent to Ron two years before, in reference to his parents and Harry. He was hoping this night would be his chance to apologize to Harry. He finished getting ready, stepped out into the hallway and locked his apartment door.

The light from the Burrow gave it a warm appearance in contrast to the crisp November air. Bill, Fleur and Charlie had already arrived. Fred, George, Ron and Ginny walked to the Burrow together. Along with them, were Harry and Hermione. The aroma from the kitchen was beckoning. 

"So, I wonder what the celebration is all about,." Ron shared his thoughts.

"Yeah, Mum didn't mention anything in her letter," Ginny added.

"I think it has something to do with Bill and Fleur," Fred replied, not letting on that he knew part of the reason for the celebration was because Percy had returned.

They finally entered the Burrow. Molly greeted Harry and Hermione with her usual bone- crushing hug. Ron and Ginny looked around. They glanced at Bill and Fleur, then at each other. Charlie came over to Harry and Hermione to greet them. 

"Well," Ron declared, " we're all here. What's the news?" 

"Wait," Molly replied mysteriously. "We're still short of one."

Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny exchanged puzzled looks. Not a moment later, Percy walked through the door. Charlie, Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny stared in shock and slight disgust at Percy.

"Now, we're all here," Molly announced gleefully. "Everyone," Molly began, "we're all here to celebrate Bill and Fleur's wonderful news. Bill, go ahead, dear."

Bill walked to the center of the room. His parents, siblings, Harry and Hermione, surrounded him. Fleur looked on, smiling brightly.

"Well, everyone, Fleur and I are having a baby."

Everyone in the room cheered with joy. Charlie, Ron, Harry and Hermione, congratulated Bill. Ginny hugged Bill then, as a gesture of good sportsmanship, half-heartedly hugged Fleur. Percy stood in the background, smiling and trying to fit in.

Molly interrupted the group and walked over to Percy. "Wait, everyone. Can I have your attention please?" 

Mr. Weasley took this as a cue to walk over to Percy's other side. 

"We have another piece of good news," chirped Molly. 

Everyone turned to look in their direction.

"Percy has returned to the family," Molly announced, clutching Percy's hand, straining to smile at the rest of the family. 

Charlie and Ron exchanged screwed up expressions of utter confusion and disbelief.

"Percy, we're glad you finally came to your senses," Bill joked, trying to set an example for his other siblings. 

Everyone else was quiet for a moment before Molly gestured to Charlie to step up and be the next to welcome Percy back. Eventually, everyone came around to welcome Percy back. Then, Molly led everyone to the dinner table. 

Conversation at the table seemed to resume to its normal level of noise. Laughter filled the air, and conversation about what to name the baby was the key topic. Dinner was a success and everyone pitched in to help clear the table. Percy saw his moment to pull Harry over to the side to talk to him. 

"Harry, can I talk to you for a minute?" Percy asked gingerly.

Harry looked at Percy, shrugged his shoulders in a gesture of agreement then put the small pile of dishes he was holding back on the table. He followed Percy into a corner in the sitting room.

"Harry, I know I was wrong to have written that letter. It was thoughtless of me. It was wrong for me to have said those things about Dumbledore, too. I just wanted you to know I made a terrible mistake and I'm sorry for it. I don't blame you for being angry with me. I hope in time we can get past all this."

Harry looked at Percy then looked away for a second. He shrugged his shoulders again, as a sign of indifference then blankly replied, "Alright."

"So...we're ok?" Percy asked, seeking reassurance.

"Yeah...sure. Look, it's all in the past. I'm just glad your back." Harry half-heartily smiled. Harry was still annoyed with Percy, but he didn't want to create a problem and spoil the evening for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. He turned and walked back to the kitchen. 

Percy watched with his hands on his waist. He looked down at the floor, realizing that it was going to be a long time before he would be able to enter the circle of trust. Molly decided to finish clearing up the dinner dishes herself, so she shuffled everyone outside. 

The night air, in spite of the chill, was refreshing. Harry and Ginny were careful not to show any affection to each other in front of the other Weasleys and Hermione. Mr. Weasley peered proudly out the window, watching his newly restored family.

The Weasley clan, Harry and Hermione stood in a circle outside in the yard, exchanging small conversation, joking and laughing. 

"So, Percy," Bill began, "how does it feel to be back in the family?"

"It feels ... wonderful," Percy replied, smiling.

"Well, you're not exactly back in the family yet," Bill informed, gesturing to Charlie to grab Percy from behind. Bill quickly walked up to Percy, grabbed Percy by the shoulder and punched his brother hard in the stomach. Percy crumbled forward with a horrible moan. Hermione let out a squeal and covered her mouth. The look on her face expressed shock.

Fred and George started to laugh, as did Ron and Ginny. Harry winced in sympathy for Percy, recalling one time when a Bludger clipped him in the stomach, during Quidditch practice. Eventually, however, he began to laugh too.

"Now, you're back in the family!" Bill declared. He and Charlie started walking away. 

The others followed, except for Hermione, who offered her assistance to help Percy sit up. Percy was still lying on the cold, hard ground, in a tight fetal position.

"Percy, are you ok?" Hermione asked, concernedly. Percy looked up at her in agony. 

"Bill! Charlie!" Mr. Weasley shouted, running out of the house to Percy's rescue.

"Take it easy, Dad. He'll live," Bill quipped coolly.

Mr. Weasley trotted over to Percy and Hermione. "That's okay, Hermione. I'll take it from here."

Hermione nodded and ran to join the others re-entering the house. Harry walked into the house and looked onward through the window with the others, as Mr. Weasley tended to Percy.

"Percy," Mr. Weasley yelped. He helped Percy sit up from a crouched position. Mr. Weasley cradled Percy in his arms.

"It's okay, Dad," Percy groaned, trying to drive off his father's concern. "As strange as this may sound," Percy struggled to speak, "this was the redemption I think I was looking for." 

Mr. Weasley looked at Percy, strangely, for a moment then hugged Percy and laughed. It was a natural reaction from a father to his son. At one time, Mr. Weasley thought he had lost Percy for good, but now he was back and here to stay. Yes, he thought to himself, this was truly a night to celebrate.

It was Sunday morning. Ron and Harry decided to go for a walk around the grounds of the Burrow. Ron was still stewing over his parents' behavior, ever since Percy's return. 

"Ron," Harry asked, noticing Ron's mood, "what's wrong? You haven't been yourself since you found out about Percy."

"I just can't believe my parents. You'd think Percy had just returned from the trenches and earned a medal of honor," Ron retorted angrily.

"I know. I don't understand it either. Percy even tried apologizing to me for that letter he wrote you back in fifth year," Harry snarled.

"You know, it's not like he went on a long vacation and came back. He walked out on the family! He turned his back on us so he could be some big shot in the Ministry!" growled Ron, growing angrier with every step he took. "I was made a prefect this year! I made Keeper on Gryffindor's Quidditch team! I'm dating the Head Girl! You'd think they'd hold a celebration for that, but no! Percy, the traitor, who turns his back on everyone, decides he screwed up and comes running home. Oh yes, let's celebrate that!" Ron ranted.

"Well, the celebration wasn't all about Percy," Harry reminded, teasing Ron.

"Oh, yeah! How could I possibly forget! Fleur's got Bill's bun in her oven!"

Harry laughed. "I think it's time we just headed back to school. All this excitement's been too much for you."

"Shut up, Harry."

Later that morning, Mr. Weasley drove the trio back to the train station. The trio boarded the train and found a carriage a few doors down. As usual, Hermione immediately buried her head in the Daily Prophet. Ron and Harry purchased some candy off the trolley and snacked endlessly, as they chatted about Quidditch. When they arrived back at Hogwarts, they settled back in their dorms. Hermione took some time to catch up on the studying she had missed, while she was at the Weasleys.

Harry and Ron brought Neville, Seamus and Dean up to date with everything that happened over their weekend. Ron could not wait to complain to his dorm mates about Percy and his parents. Harry was eager to leave the room and go find Ginny, but did not want to appear unsupportive to Ron's plight.

Unfortunately, for Harry, Hermione, Ginny and some other Griffindors, in earshot of Ron's incessant complaining, dinner was far from peaceful. Hermione decided it was time she put an end to Ron's ranting.

"Ron, I thought by now you'd have stopped moping around about Percy and your parents," Hermione groaned, abruptly placing her silverware back on the dinner table.

"Hermione, what if you had a brother and he did what Percy did? How would you feel if your parents made a big deal over your brother coming home, after he walked out on the family?" Ron argued.

"He's got a point," Harry interjected on Ron's behalf.

"If it bothers you so much, why don't you talk to Professor Albright? Maybe she can enlighten you as to why your parents are so happy," Hermione suggested with a hint of sarcasm.

Ron looked at Harry and shrugged his shoulders. 

"Well, I'll go see her tomorrow night. Maybe she can explain why my parents are acting so stupidly," Ron grumbled. 

The trio continued to eat their meal quietly. For the rest of the Griffindor's, the show was over. Except for the usual dinner conversations, the rest of dinner remained uneventful. Ginny and Harry would occasionally share a secret smile between them. Hermione would occasionally look up at Ron sympathetically. 

The following night finally arrived, and the trio went to see Professor Albright in her chambers, as Ron had initially planned. Professor Albright was sitting at her desk, having a cup of tea when Harry knocked on the door. Professor Albright slowly emerged from her seat and approached the door. She was happy to see them standing on the other side when she opened it. 

"Children," Professor Albright exclaimed, "what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in your dorms?"

"Ron's got a problem he wants to talk to you about," Harry explained.

"Oh," Professor Albright said, looking concerned at Ron. "Well, then, come in."

The trio entered the staff lounge and took a seat at the table.

"So, Mr. Weasley, what is on your mind this evening?" Professor Albright inquired.

"Well," Ron began, taking a deep breath then exhaling heavily through his nose, "you probably know by now that my brother, Percy, came home last week and my parents were all happy and stuff."

"And this bothers you?" Professor Albright asked, searching the other faces for additional explanation.

"Well, ... yeah. He turned his back on the family over two years ago, because he got this promotion and thought he was too good for the rest of us," Ron explained.

"Oh, I see," Professor Albright comprehended.

"I mean, why are my parents making such a big deal about it? If I were them, I'd slam the door on his face, like he did to Mum."

"So, instead your parents are celebrating his return to the family," Professor Albright completed Ron's thought.

"Exactly! I mean, why can't they celebrate something about me?"

Professor Albright thought for a moment. She sensed a tone of jealous in Ron's voice. "Ronald," Professor Albright directed, "I want you to put both hands flat on the table."

"Huh?"

"Place your hands on the table, fingers spread." 

Ron looked at Harry. One side of his face was contorted from confusion. Harry responded with a shrug of his shoulders, implying he had no idea where Professor Albright was going with this. Ron went ahead and reluctantly placed his hands on the table, as Professor Albright ordered. 

"Now," Professor Albright continued, pointing to Ron's pinky, "this pinky finger of yours became infected. It healed, but I'm going to cut it off anyway."

"What! No!" Ron cried, pulling his hands back.

"Put your hands back on the table, Ronald. No need to worry. I'm not really going to cut off your finger," Professor Albright reassured. Ron did as he was told. "Now, as I said before, your pinky became infected and now it's healthy again. I'm going to cut it off."

"Wait, why would you cut it off?" Harry interrupted. "It's not infected anymore."

"Well, you don't want to take the chance that it might get infected again, do you?" Professor Albright proposed.

"Well, if it's healthy again, I want to keep it," Ron whined.

"And why is that, Mr. Weasley? After all, it's just a pinky. You have nine other good fingers."

"Yeah, but it would be weird. It would be like I wasn't whole. You know...missing a part and all that..." Ron justified.

"So, because this pinky is a part of you and makes up your whole being, it's important that you should keep it," Professor Albright concluded, helping the other two understand.

"Yeah. Exactly."

"So, even though your pinky, at one time, was infected, you decided you wanted to keep it now that it's healed."

Ron nodded in agreement. "Yeah."

"Ronald, a child to a parent is like a finger on their hand, only much more precious. They have strong feelings of love for it. If something were to happen to that child, they wouldn't feel whole. A part of them would be missing. Has Pigwidgeon ever done something that made you angry?"

"Yeah, all the time."

"Would you be glad if he died?"

"No!"

"Why?"

"I ...still..." Ron began. He started to comprehend the point that Professor Albright was trying to make.

"If Pigwidgeon flew away, would you be unhappy if he returned?"

Ron looked down on his hands then looked back up at the professor. This time he had a slight smile forming in the corner of his mouth. Harry and Hermione began forming similar expressions on their faces.

"Now, children, it's getting late. You three should be in your dorms by now," Professor Albright stated.

"Yeah, we should," Hermione agreed.

"Thanks." Ron grinned.

"My pleasure, Mr. Weasley," Professor Albright reassured. 

Harry, Hermione, and Ron rose from the table and walked toward the staff lounge door. 

While on their way back to Gryffindor, the conversation switched back to the Horcruxes. Hermione opened up the conversation with a question about Helga Hufflepuff's cup. 

"Harry, do you recall what happened to Helga Hufflepuff's cup after Hepzabah Smith was murdered?"

"No. Last we figured, Voldemort took it and hid it somewhere," Harry replied.

"Well, I was looking up the records on Hepzabah Smith. She was from Hufflepuff. Maybe where you need to start looking is where a former Hufflepuff is now. You need to figure out which Hufflepuffs are Voldemort supporters. Think, Harry. Draco Malfoy's father had the diary. Did Dumbledore say where he got the ring?"

"Yes, while he was visiting the Gaunt house," Harry replied.

"And the locket?" Hermione pressed.

"We didn't find the real locket. We recovered the fake one that R.A.B put in its place. It came with a note saying that..." Harry stopped and looked wide-eyed at Hermione.

"Saying what, Harry?" Hermione asked desperately.

"It said that the real locket would be destroyed," Harry answered.

"Well, then maybe four out of the seven are accounted for," Hermione concluded. "So, now we need the other three."

"The cup, Nagini and whatever the sixth one is," Harry recited.

"Yeah... whatever the sixth one is. That's the problem," Ron grumbled.

"Harry, tell me what Dumbledore said about Nagini," Hermione ordered.

"He said it's possible that Voldemort might have put a piece of his soul into Nagini, the night he killed my parents. He had become weakened after he tried to kill me, and realized he didn't have the time or strength to look for more Hogwarts trophies," Harry explained.

"He said might have?" Hermione asked trying to clarify what Harry said.

"Yeah, I know. That means there's a possibility that Nagini might not be a Horcrux," Harry acknowledged Hermione's concern.

"So, that means, we can only be certain about three pieces of You-Know-Who's soul. We're certain of two Horcruxes: the diary, and the ring. The seventh piece of His soul is still inside of him," Ron groaned.

"So, we're back to square one," Hermione added disheartenedly. "We're certain of two Hormcruxes, almost positive about the locket and the cup, which leaves us two that we can't figure out yet. This is awful!" Hermione furled her brows. 

"Harry, remember in our first year, we found out he was sharing Professor Quirrell's body, because he was too weak to have his own," Ron recalled.

"That's right," Hermione exclaimed. "That could be the key clue to figuring this whole thing out! Ron, I'm impressed."

Ron grinned and blushed at her compliment. 

"So, all that time he was sharing Quirrell's body, he was here in the school," Harry surmised. 

"And," Hermione added, "he had Quirrell and Snape helping him find a place to put the last two pieces of his soul."

The trio finally arrived at Gryffindor. Harry made his way into his dormitory while Ron and Hermione stayed in the Common Room to share a brief, private moment together. Harry lied in bed with his eyes closed, trying to relax. His mind kept wandering to Quirrell and Snape. Where would they hide the last piece of Voldemort's soul? This missing piece was the one hole that gave rise to Harry's sleepless night.

Chapter 4 Under Their Noses by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
Harry gets an unusual surprise for Christmas. The only problem is he doesn’t know how to get rid of it. Luckily he has a mentor, who just so happens to have a specialty in destroying these kinds of surprises. I wish to thank HarryKissedGinny for all of the time and talent she put into beta reading my story. Her generosity means the world to me.
Christmas break arrived none too soon. Ron and Hermione already had their plans lined up. Hermione would be staying at the Burrow for the holiday break. Harry would return to number twelve, Grimmauld Place, bringing Dobby and Kreacher along with him. He invited Professor Albright to stay with him, in hopes that she might give him some insights about the secret plan she mentioned before. The professor gladly accepted Harry’s invitation, since Professor McGonagall wished for Professor Albright to keep an eye on Harry during the holiday break.

Harry’s thoughts wandered to Ginny. Maybe they could spend some secret time together. Up to now, they had been secretly meeting each other in the Screaming Shack, or the secret passage to Honeydukes, two of the places that only they knew of.

Harry hoped to have some quality time with Ginny, where there was less concern about school and homework. Harry and Professor Albright returned to Grimmauld Place by wizard taxi. He helped Professor Albright into the house. In two days it would be Christmas. He and the professor were invited to the Weasleys, but two days seemed like an eternity to wait to see Ginny. Besides, they would not be able to do anything at the Burrow. Their affair was a secret from everyone, except Professor Albright.

After Harry helped the professor get settled, he went back out into the drawing room and lit a fire. Harry stared for a moment into the crackling flames then broke from his trance and summoned Hedwig. He had written a note asking Ginny if she could escape for a couple of hours. Harry opened the front door, and with the chill rushing into the house, he sent Hedwig to the Burrow.

The day had grown dark early. Harry and Professor Albright had finished supper then the professor retired to the first floor bedroom. Harry went into the drawing room to sit by the fire. Using a poker, he poked at the log still flaming. Suddenly there was a tapping against the drawing room window. Harry looked up; his heart leaped with hope. Hedwig had returned and she was carrying a letter in her beak. Harry ran to the window and opened it to give Hedwig entrance. A cold chill rushed in the moment Harry opened the window. Once inside, Hedwig perched herself on an armchair. Harry recovered the note from her beak and hastily opened it.

Dear Harry,
Dad has to go back to the Ministry for an important meeting, so I’ll be able to come with him. I told him I wanted to go into Diagon Alley for some last minute Christmas shopping. He bought it. Actually, it’s not a complete lie. I need to buy Phlegm a gift. I’ll see you tomorrow at 1:00. I can only stay for a little while. I promised my dad I would meet him at three back at the Ministry. Even though it’s only an hour or two, any time alone with you is better than none at all.
Love,
Ginny


Harry read the letter two more times before stuffing it into his pocket. He immediately sensed Kreacher was spying on him. His suspicions were confirmed when he turned abruptly around toward the drawing room doorway.

“Kreacher, where’s Dobby?” Harry asked, with a tone of annoyance.

“Kreacher isn’t Dobby’s caretaker. Master needs to look for Dobby himself.”

Harry grunted at the stubborn elf, pushed him out of the way, and ran upstairs. Harry found Dobby in the fourth floor bedroom. Harry remembered Sirius telling him it was Sirius’ mother’s bedroom. Dobby was in the closet, appearing to be rummaging through an old sack.

“Dobby, what are you doing with that sack?”

“Dobby is helping Harry Potter clean the house for the holidays,” replied the little elf, clutching a portion of the sack in his hand.

“Well, that’s very kind of you Dobby, but I doubt we’re going to have any visitors here for Christmas. They wouldn’t be in this room anyway,” Harry replied. “So, what’s in that manky old sack?”

“Trinkets, Master.”

“Trinkets? What sort of trinkets?”

“Here, Master. Harry Potter should look for himself,” Dobby replied, handing Harry the part of the sack clutched in his hands.

Harry pulled the sack closer to him. It was rather deep. Harry had to open it up on the floor to get a better look inside. Inside the sack, Harry found the music box and some old broken silver frames. He remembered that Sirius had thrown these things into a sack over two years ago, when he was cleaning the house. Harry continued to rummage through the old sack, when suddenly he saw something that started to make his heart pound. He slowly reached into the sack as far as his arm would reach. His fingers grasped the long chain.

Both Dobby and Kreacher were standing behind Harry. Their eyes were agape with anticipation. Harry slowly lifted the chain up out of the sack. The gold from the chain picked up the light from the bedroom and twinkled in response. As Harry continued to pull the chain up out from the sack, he felt something weighing it down. Once he had the chain completely out of the sack, the answer was clear as to what it was. It was a large gold locket.

Harry gingerly took the locket in his hand. His mind was racing, “the locket, the cup, the snake, something from Ravenclaw or Gryffindor.” Could it be? No! It couldn’t be this easy. Harry continued to carefully examine the locket. Yes. It had an “S” engraved on it. Maybe the locket wasn’t destroyed after all. R.A.B never had the chance to destroy it. It was here all this time. Harry was excited. He knew he had to tell Ron and Hermione immediately, but how? He peered out the bedroom window and witnessed the snow falling furiously outside. He couldn’t send Hedwig back out there--not in that.

Then, instantly, another thought came to Harry’s mind, only much more terrifying. Harry was holding a piece of Voldemort’s soul in his hand. Without thinking, Harry threw the locket on the floor. It landed in a small heap. Dobby went to pick it up.

“Dobby, no!” Harry yelled.

“But Harry Potter dropped his locket,” Dobby whimpered, close to tears. It was always Dobby’s response whenever Harry would raise his voice.

“Dobby, please don’t cry. I just didn’t want you to get hurt.”

“Dobby is touched. Harry Potter was concerned for Dobby’s life,” Dobby sobbed loudly.

Kreacher looked on. He didn’t dare say a word. Harry’s mind was racing faster than ever. He needed to destroy the locket, but how? The diary was easy. It was ‘stabbable’. Dumbledore destroyed the ring, but never told Harry exactly how. ‘Snape’s quick thinking.’ The thought of Snape left a terrible feeling in Harry’s chest. Harry suddenly got a plan in his head. He needed his wand, which was in his jacket in the kitchen. Harry mustered up the courage to pick up the locket. Dobby and Kreacher looked on wide-eyed.

Harry began his decent down the stairs to the kitchen, with Dobby and Kreacher hurrying along close behind. Harry was careful to hold the locket a safe distance from the rest of his body. Some of the chain was hanging out from his clutched fist.

As Harry, Dobby and Kreacher ran into the kitchen. Professor Albright, standing at the stove startled them. She was heating a kettle of water for tea. Harry’s heart felt like it would leap through his chest. He knew she saw a piece of the chain hanging from his hand. Harry swallowed hard as he looked into the professor’s accusing green eyes.

“Harry, what do you have there?” Professor Albright asked suspiciously.

Harry had to think fast. “Er … it’s … nothing…a present…for Ginny.”

“A present for Ginny?” Professor Albright questioned, looking over her bifocals, as she was known to do, when catching someone off guard. “May I see it?”

“Er… well…it’s just a necklace,” Harry stuttered.

“A necklace! How nice! So, why can’t I just take a look at it?”

Harry realized there was nothing he could do. Then it dawned on him. He need not be afraid to show the professor the locket. There was nothing about it that would indicate what it was carrying. Harry shrugged his shoulders and handed the locket to the professor.

Professor Albright took the locket from Harry and examined it. Immediately, a shock ran through her chest. Fear quickly surfaced on her face. Harry watched her and suddenly felt a surge of fear come over him. At that moment, he realized that she knew more about this locket than he had figured. Professor Albright looked up at Harry in horror.

“Harry, where did you get this locket?” she questioned in a low and foreboding voice.

“I …er…” Harry had no answer.

“Harry, did someone give you this locket?” she continued with urgency in her voice.

“No…I…” Harry kept stumbling on his words. Then he tried to turn the interrogation around on Professor Albright. “Why, is there something wrong with it?” It suddenly dawned on Harry. She knew a great deal about Horcruxes. Had he listened to Hermione, and made more of an effort getting to know the professor, he would have found out sooner that she was key to finding and destroying them.

“Harry,” Professor Albright began, but was accosted by the high-pitched whistle from the teakettle. The sound made everyone in the kitchen jump. Strangely enough, the abrupt whistle broke the ever-growing tension in the kitchen. Professor Albright turned around to the stove and moved the kettle to another burner.

“Harry, sit down. I need to discuss something with you,” said Professor Albright.

Harry took a seat at the table across from the professor. Professor Albright poured two cups of tea and placed them on the table, then sat down. She gingerly laid the locket on table between them. Harry looked at the locket then back up to meet the professor’s green eyes. Dobby and Kreacher continued to watch attentively.

“Harry,” Professor Albright began, “I know you and Professor Dumbledore had been taking trips down his…memory lane.”

Harry giggled nervously at the professor’s light-hearted comment. Professor Albright was going to continue then noticed the elves were in the room. She looked disturbed by their presence. Harry noticed her concern.
“Don’t worry, they’ve been sworn to not say anything about what goes on in the house,” Harry reassured, giving both elves a threatening look.

Professor Albright smiled then continued. “Harry, I know the professor discussed the Horcruxes with you. You do know this locket is one of them?”

“Yeah, well, I do now,” Harry replied.

“Harry, you lied to me about this locket,” Professor Albright accused, her forehead crinkled.

Harry felt extremely uncomfortable. “Well, er…I didn’t know you knew anything about Horcruxes. Dumbledore made me swear not to say anything to anyone, except Ron and Hermione.”

“I understand,” Professor Albright assured, “but Harry, if I am to be your mentor, we need to be able to trust one another--no secrets. Understand?”

“Yes, Professor,” Harry replied, taken back by the professor’s statement.

“You are aware that this Horcrux must be destroyed?”

“Yes,” Harry replied.

“And you know how to destroy it?”

“Yeah…well…no, not really, but I was going to use my wand,” Harry explained. “That’s what I came down here for.”

“And do you know the spell to destroy it?”

“Er…well…not exactly. Why, is there a specific one?” Harry asked.

Professor Albright cringed at Harry’s ignorance. “Yes, there is.”

“Well, I haven’t learned it,” Harry growled, defensively.

“Well of course not, Harry. Just like you haven’t been taught about Horcruxes. Albus Dumbledore was a great man who never expected that you would need to know how to destroy an object of such power. They’re evil devices. Their dark magic is as unspeakable, as the name of the wizard that has managed to abuse them,” Professor Albright explained.

“Do you know the spell?” Harry asked eagerly.

Professor Albright was reluctant to answer. To admit to having knowledge of such a spell would mean having to reveal her true identity and business at the Ministry. In spite of her concern, she decided to tell Harry the truth.
“Yes, I do, but before I reveal the spell to you, I must ask you, do you know about the other Horcruxes?”

“Well, the diary and the ring were destroyed.”

“Yes, Dumbledore told me about them. Nice job on the diary,” Professor Albright added, to break the tension. Harry smiled. “I was referring to the remaining four,” she continued.

“Well, the seventh piece of His soul is still inside Him. He couldn’t exist without it.”

“Very good. You’ve learned well,” Professor Albright complemented.

“I had a great teacher,” Harry murmured, staring down into his tea. When was this feeling of loss going to go away, he thought to himself. It seemed as if memories of Professor Dumbledore kept creeping up into his mind, continuously.

“Yes, you did have a great teacher,” Professor Albright agreed. “You always will…in here.” She gestured to her heart and Harry smiled. “The other three Horcruxes, do you have any idea where to look for them?” she asked, helping Harry stay focused.

“No,” Harry replied, feeling disheartened.

“Harry, recall the remaining Horcruxes,” Professor Albright instructed.

“There’s the cup, Nagini, and something from Ravenclaw and Gryffindor,” Harry repeated the mantra.

Professor Albright smiled and giggled at him. “Nagini, the snake?” she mocked.

“Yeah, Vold, I mean His snake,” Harry clarified showing annoyance at his own slip-up.

Professor Albright giggled again. “Harry, what makes you think Nagini would have a piece of His soul?”

“Well, that’s what Professor Dumbledore said,” Harry replied defensively.

“Hmm. Well, Professor Dumbledore was not quite as well versed on Horcruxes,” Professor Albright revealed. “Horcruxes only work with inanimate objects. In some cases they will work with something that has died, but it is only in extremely rare circumstances.”

Harry felt a pang of anger in his stomach over the professor’s comment. She seemed to be belittling Professor Dumbledore. How dare she betray his memory. She had no right. At least he kept his title. Harry thought, annoyed at Professor Albright.

“How do you know so much about them?” Harry asked, challenging the professor.

Professor Albright picked up on Harry’s sudden annoyance with her. “Harry, I meant no disrespect to Professor Dumbledore. He and I were good friends. As far as your question is concerned, Horcruxes fall under the category of Transfiguration. It’s the dark side of Transfiguration,” she explained. “Harry, are you aware that Hogwarts used to hold academic competitions in the subjects taught?”

“Er, well, Hermione discovered something about Eileen Prince, Snape’s mother,” Harry recalled.

“Yes, and what was that?”

“She was captain of some team.”

“Yes, Harry, the Gobstones team, and a very good team they were, if I may add. Her son, Severus, followed in her footsteps. Do you know what the awards were for winning a competition?”

“No,” Harry admitted, with an eager look on his face. Professor Albright had piqued his curiosity.

“They were valuable antique artifacts with the emblems of the four houses. If you were from Hufflepuff, as was Cedric’s father, who won his award in Care of Magical Creatures, then you would win an artifact with the Hufflepuff crest on it. Sirius’ brother, Regulus, won this locket. There are records in the library about the years the competition was held, who won in which subject and which award was given to them.”

Harry suddenly recalled that Hermione was planning to look up the records on awards. Harry smiled at the old professor. For someone who had all her magic repossessed, she certainly didn’t lack in intellect.

“Finish your tea, Harry. We have work to do,” Professor Albright commanded, indicating her interest in the locket. Harry nodded and gulped down his tea.

Professor Albright and Harry walked back into the drawing room with the locket. The professor carefully handed the locket to Harry and instructed him to place it down on the floor, in the middle of the room. Harry followed her instructions.

“Now, Harry, I’m going to teach you the incantation for removing a piece of someone’s soul from an inanimate object, ergo, destroying a Horcrux,” Professor Albright announced. “The incantation is ‘Expono Animum.’ Can you repeat that?”
“Expono Animum,” Harry repeated, gaging the professor’s expression.

“Very good. You’re a fast learner,” Professor Albright praised. “Now take out your wand and point it directly at the locket, repeating the incantation three times.”

Harry pulled out his wand from his back pocket and readied himself. Harry was about to say the first incantation, when Professor Albright interrupted him.

“Oh, Harry, this spell causes a violent reaction. You may want to step back a bit.”

“Oh,” Harry replied, increasing his distance between himself and the locket, and then readjusting his footing. Harry readied himself again, periodically looking back at the professor for further instruction and approval.

“Go ahead, Harry,” Rose encouraged.

Harry nervously pointed his wand directly at the locket, then spoke the incantation. “Expono Animum.” He had a look of confusion on his face, when he did not see anything happen.

“Remember, Harry, three times,” Rose reminded.

Harry nodded then looked back intently at the locket. “Expono Animum. Expono Animum,” Harry repeated loudly.

Not a second later, a bright flash of deep purple light filled the center of the room. Then instantly the light around the locket changed to a black circle haloed in yellow. A loud explosion, shaking the chandelier in the dinning room, downstairs, followed the yellow light. Professor Albright quickly grasped onto an armchair to steady herself from the violent quake.

Harry, not expecting this reaction, was not as fortunate enough to protect himself in time, and was thrown very hard against the wall. He felt the air briskly leave his lungs, as he slumped down to the floor. With his body still leaning partially against the wall, his glasses hanging half off his face and his wand lying by his side, Harry’s head wobbled to and fro. Dobby peaked around the drawing room entrance, shaking with fear. Kreacher began leaping and laughing at Harry.

Professor Albright regained her balance and moved as quickly as she could to check on Harry’s condition. She lifted her cane in a threatening manner at Kreacher, who immediately ducked into the hallway.

“Harry,” Professor Albright called, gingerly poking Harry with her cane. “You did it,” she proudly proclaimed.

Harry lifted his head to look up at the professor, his eyes suddenly crossed over then he slumped back down and passed out.

“Well, at least the locket’s no threat to us now,” Professor Albright chuckled to the elves. “Dobby, Kreacher, come help me sit Harry up against the wall.”

Dobby and Kreacher came out from the hallway and each grabbed one of Harry’s arms. They pulled Harry back up into a sitting position; His head was slumped forward and his glasses now rested in his lap.

“Kreacher, quickly, go into the bathroom and get me a cold cloth to put on Harry’s face,” Professor Albright commanded.

Kreacher followed her instructions remarkably well. While Kreacher was gone, Professor Albright looked back at Dobby, who was holding Harry’s hand and sniffling.

“Dobby, why are you crying?” Professor Albright inquired.

“Dobby cries for his dead master, Harry Potter,” Dobby whimpered, looking up at the professor with tear-filled eyes.

“Oh, Dobby. Harry’s not dead. He just got the wind knocked out of him,” Professor Albright explained.

Kreacher returned to the drawing room with a cloth, dripping wet with cold water.

“Very good, Kreacher,” Rose approved. “Now place it on Harry’s face.”

Kreacher took the cold, dripping wet cloth and threw it hard at Harry’s face, making a terrible slapping sound as it hit. Water splattered against the wall. Harry immediately jolted awake. The cloth, soaking wet, landed in Harry’s lap. Harry opened his eyes and looked dizzily around for a moment. Dobby smiled at him. Harry looked up at the professor.

Kreacher watched Harry for a moment, then with a sneaky grin on his face proclaimed, “Master’s awake now.”

“Yes,” Professor Albright replied, glaring at Kreacher, “thank you.”

Harry picked up the wet cloth from his lap and handed it to Dobby then returned his glasses to his face. While still leaning against the wall, he eased himself up into a standing position. Professor Albright observed him. Dobby went back into the hallway with the dripping cloth and Kreacher followed him.

“How are you feeling?” Professor Albright asked.

Harry nodded while rubbing the back of his head. He looked around on the floor to find his wand. He found it not too far from where he was standing, picked it up and returned it to his back pocket. He glanced over to where the locket was lying. Nothing about it appeared to be different. Harry had a disappointed look on his face, and the professor immediately picked up on his sense of failure.

“Oh, don’t worry, Harry. The incantation worked. You should be very proud of yourself,” she smiled.

“But nothing happened to it. It looks just like it did before I did the incantation,” replied a frustrated Harry.

“Well, did the ring look any different? Did the diary? Other than some ink on the diary and a crack in the ring’s stone, both objects remained in tact. Take a careful look at the locket,” Professor Albright instructed.

Harry walked over to the center of the room, bent down, and cautiously picked the locket up by its chain with his two fingers. He held it up to the light. Sure enough a small crack had run halfway up through the ‘S’. Harry was pleased and smiled back at the professor.

“Well, we’ve had enough excitement for one evening,” Professor Albright declared, “I’m retiring to bed. Good night, dear.” Professor Albright smiled, reaching out and squeezing Harry’s hand.

Harry looked at her and smiled, “Good night, Professor.”

It was the morning of Christmas Eve. Harry woke up very happy, for today would be the day he and Ginny would finally spend some time together. He quickly leaped out of bed and ran into the bathroom to get cleaned up. Harry then rushed back to his bedroom to get dressed and then returned to the bathroom. He surveyed himself in the mirror and looked at his unkempt hair. A feeble attempt by a comb didn’t satisfy him, so he ran his fingers through his black hair. He breathed a sigh of discontent upon realizing it did no good.

Harry made his way down stairs to find Professor Albright having breakfast.

“Morning, Harry,” greeted Professor Albright.

“Good morning,” Harry replied in an unusually cheerful mood. He took a seat across from the professor and helped himself to some toast.

“You seem especially happy today,” Professor Albright remarked, giving Harry that same look over her bifocals.

“Er…no…just glad we destroyed another Horcrux,” Harry lied.

Harry’s answer did not fool the old professor. “Oh, by the way, I would bring down that small blanket from your bed. Blankets like that one add to the coziness of a romantic afternoon,” she teased, watching Harry’s reaction.

“Huh?” Harry replied, looking up innocently from his toast. He saw the look on Professor Albright’s face and immediately realized she caught him again.

Rose returned the smile. “I was young once too, Harry.”

Harry smiled with a guilty expression on his face. How did she know, he wondered.
Chapter 5 The Nightmare by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
What may appear like innocent fluff on the outside, may be in reality, a symptom of something much more terrifying and evil. Unfortunately for Harry and Ginny, this statement reflects a horrifying truth. Ginny’s behavior is becoming a growing concern for the trio, with Harry on the receiving end of its wrath. Will the trio ever uncover the reason behind Ginny’s irrational and sometimes violent behavior? If they can, they had better do it soon. The war is coming.

Some additional notes I would like to add. First, I wish to apologize for a pronoun mix-up that I made when thanking Harry_Kissed_Ginny. I said she when I should have said he. HE is a wonderful beta and his work on chapter four is the reason why it is up there now. Second, I wish to thank Thegirllikeme, for all of her beta work on this chapter. Please refer to the Recommend a Beta section of the Beta forums for additional comments.
Harry paced back and forth in the drawing room. He carefully lit a fire in the fireplace, straightened the room, and closed the curtains. He wanted the light from the fire to set the mood. Harry turned around, and found his blanket lying opened and over what appeared to be something moving underneath it. Whatever it was, it had obviously dragged the blanket from Harry’s room to the drawing room.

“What the…” Harry gasped.

“Dobby brought down Harry Potter’s blanket,” a muffled Dobby replied, from underneath.

Harry laughed, walked over to the blanket, and lifted it off of Dobby to help the little elf escape. Harry neatly folded the blanket and placed it on the sofa. He looked around then something caught his eye, as he glanced toward the window. Ginny was hastily walking up the pathway. She had gone from the Ministry to Grimmauld Place, using the Portkey her family used two years ago. Harry felt his heart jump. He rushed downstairs and over to the front door to greet her. Harry had the door open before Ginny made it the porch. She looked up at him and smiled. Harry looked into her eyes and felt as if something inside him was melting. He became nervous, but in a way that felt wonderful. Even though the day was cold and dreary, Harry felt warm and happy inside.

“Hey.” Ginny smiled. As she turned sideways to get through the entranceway, she
leaned over and kissed Harry on his cheek.

Harry’s body tingled all over at the feeling of Ginny’s cold lips on his cheek, and her body brushing up against his.

Once inside, Ginny looked around quickly and noticed the improvement of the house’s appearance since her last visit. She turned around to gaze at Harry. She felt a fluttering feeling in her stomach, as she began taking off her coat. Harry walked over to help her.

“Here, let me take that for you,” Harry offered. He helped Ginny remove her coat and hung it in the closet then he turned back to her side. “Are you hungry? Can I get you anything?”

“No, you’ll do just fine for now.” Ginny grinned. Taking Harry’s two hands in hers, she leaned in to give him a quick kiss.

A wonderful buzz of electricity ran through Harry’s body the moment Ginny’s lips touched his. Harry led Ginny upstairs to the drawing room.

“Wow! Look how cozy this is,” Ginny teased, stepping away and walking over to the center of the drawing room.

She turned to look at Harry. Harry stood motionless. Ginny’s red hair glowed beautifully in the light coming from the fireplace. Her deep brown eyes pierced Harry’s heart as she gazed back at him. Harry regained the feeling in his legs and walked over to her. Ginny put her arms around his neck and looked up into his eyes. She flashed her famous smirk. Harry nervously put his hands around her waist. Why am I so nervous? he asked himself. It’s not as if we’ve never been alone before. Ginny did not seem the least bit nervous. She dropped her hands to her side and sat down on the floor in front of the fire. She looked up at Harry, who was completely in her control. She reached up for Harry’s hand and pulled him down next to her.

Ginny laid down on the floor and stared up at the ceiling, waiting for Harry to realize this was his cue to start doing what they were both there to do. Harry lay down next to her on his side. He leaned up on his elbow, propping himself up off the floor. With his other hand, he nervously played with Ginny’s long red hair.

Ginny ran her finger along the side of Harry’s face and down his neck, just below his ear. It tickled him, but he did not want to let on -- not that he had anything to worry about. When it came to tickle fights, the points added up like an unfair Quidditch game, with the score in Harry’s favor.

Harry could not hold back any longer. He reached over and tucked his hand under Ginny’s body. With the hand his face had been resting on, he held Ginny’s head. He gently lowered his head down and touched his lips to hers. The quivering feeling in his stomach became more intense. His heart felt like it could not keep a steady rhythm. With each gentle kiss, Ginny felt the flutter in her stomach as well. She put her arms around Harry’s neck. Together they surrendered to the old magic. They innocently kissed until both could not handle the feelings inside any longer. Harry rolled over on his back. He was breathless. How could it be, he thought. He had more of a workout than during Quidditch practice. Then again, he wasn’t in love with Quidditch practice.

“So, what was this important meeting your dad had to go to on Christmas Eve?” Harry asked, trying to take his mind off the thoughts running through his head.

“He had to meet with Scrimgeour,” Ginny answered.

She was lying on Harry’s arm and running her hand through his tousled hair. Her other hand tenderly rubbed his chest. Harry lay on his back. His other arm was up over his head. His eyes were closed. He felt completely happy and relaxed.

“Oh, no, not him,” Harry joked. “Figures that some bloody vampire would make your dad work on Christmas Eve.”

“Harry, we don’t know if he’s really a vampire,” Ginny teased. Besides, what do you have against vampires?”

“Well, you know, they can be a real pain in the neck,” Harry joked.

“Yeah,” Ginny replied, with a playful look in her eye. “You mean like this?”

Ginny quickly plunged her face into the nape of Harry’s neck.

Harry could feel her warm mouth on his neck, just under his jaw. A chill ran up his back and straight through his stomach. This time Ginny’s mouth and hair caused a tickling sensation that was unbearable. Harry involuntarily kicked his legs up to his stomach. His one arm was still trapped under the weight of Ginny’s body. Ginny was clever enough to grab onto Harry’s thumb while his arm was still up over his head. Harry struggled to get free, but Ginny’s grip on his thumb was surprisingly strong. She applied leverage to keep Harry from moving his hand to defend himself. Ginny lifted her head to look at Harry. She wiggled the fingers of her free hand in front of Harry’s face, teasing him menacingly.

Harry became very nervous. He recalled the object of the game of tickle fighting. It was to see who would surrender first by shouting out ‘I give’. He also remembered that the person who usually did the surrendering was Ginny. He held an undefeated title. Unfortunately for Harry, Ginny had turned the tables around. Harry realized at that very moment that Ginny rendered had him defenseless. His rib cage was vulnerable. Ginny continued to tease Harry, watching him grow ever more nervous. Harry started to laugh. His breathing became rapid. Ginny could feel his chest rise up and down quickly.

“So, Harry, you wouldn’t be ticklish now, would you?” Ginny asked in a diabolical manner.

Harry closed his eyes. He held his lips tightly together and tried to bear down. He tried to tighten his stomach and chest muscles the way he did during previous tickle fights. During previous fights, this technique left Ginny thinking that Harry was not quite so ticklish. Today, however, she would find out otherwise, much to Harry’s dismay. The problem was the fact that Ginny was holding one of Harry’s arms over his head, causing the skin over his ribs to be taught and more sensitive to tickling. Harry kept his eyes shut tightly. He could not bear to watch Ginny’s malevolent fingers wiggle over his ribs.

Ginny finally placed her free hand on Harry’s chest and began to vigorously tickle his ribs. Harry squirmed involuntarily. In order to give the appearance that her efforts were futile, he tried to keep from laughing. Eventually, his strength ran out. He lost control of his stomach and chest muscles and this caused him to feel the full effects of Ginny’s merciless, tickling fingers. Harry surrendered to the feeling by laughing uncontrollably. He quickly felt himself running out of breath. He knew he had to do something, but the tickling sensation on his rib cage made it difficult to think.

“No! G--Ginny…stop,” Harry sputtered.

“Say the two magic words and I’ll stop,” Ginny negotiated in a teasing manner.

“No!” cried Harry, not wanting to give up his undefeated title, but it was no use. Ginny was quite a skilled tickler, when given the chance. Harry could feel the rest of his strength give way. The more his strength left him, the more ticklish he became.

“St-stop! G-Ginny…alright!” Harry gulped, gasping for breath, “I…I give. I give!”

Ginny immediately stopped. She lay over Harry’s chest, feeling it hit hers as it rose and fell quickly underneath her. She looked at Harry’s face. His cheeks were flushed. Harry continued to breathe erratically. All his strength was drained. His legs were stretched out on the floor. Both his arms felt like wet noodles. He slowly opened his eyes, which were filled with tears from the strain of laughing so much.

Ginny gazed into them. A look of triumph was on her face. She gave him a kiss on his nose. She continued to smile at him. She had never seen such a vulnerable side to him. It caused her stomach to flutter again. Just when she thought she could not love him any more than she already did, she realized her love had risen to a higher plane.

“I win,” she whispered, leaning into Harry’s ear and placing her lips up against it.

Harry could feel her warm breath and soft lips caress his earlobe as she spoke. The monster inside his chest struggled to maintain self-control.

Feeling thoroughly defeated Harry replied, “You win.” His breathing slowly returned to normal.

In a gesture of good sportsmanship, Ginny rolled over on her back. Harry followed, lying on top of her. He grabbed both her hands and pulled them slightly over her head. Ginny became nervous, suspicious of Harry’s motives. She looked up into Harry’s emerald green eyes pleadingly.

“Couldn’t I enjoy just one little victory?”

Harry looked down at her and let out a chuckle, “Yeah, just this one little one.” Harry smiled then gently lowered his mouth to her lips.

The afternoon wore on. Harry and Ginny’s snogging session left them completely withered. Harry pulled away from Ginny to look into her eyes. She was looking back at him with the same blazing look she had the first time they’d kissed. Harry’s heart started beating abnormally again. Ginny’s heart began to do the same. A new kind of monster was shuddering inside Harry’s chest. Thankfully no one was around to perform Legilimency. Thoughts of Ginny raced through his mind.

Suddenly, they both jumped when there was a startlingly loud “POP!” Harry leaped off of Ginny and propped himself up on his knees to see where the noise had come from. Dobby and Kreacher were standing in the room. Kreacher had an evil grin on his face, and was holding what was left of a large paper bag. It had been ripped at the bottom, where the air had rushed out of it, after Kreacher popped it.

“Dobby wants Harry Potter to look at the clock.” Dobby smiled.

Harry looked up at the grandfather clock in the corner. It said five minutes to three. Ginny looked up too then jumped to her feet.

“Oh, shoot!” Ginny exclaimed.

They both ran downstairs to the closet in the foyer. Harry quickly pulled out Ginny’s coat and helped her put it on. For a brief moment, they stared at one another sorrowfully.

“Bye, Harry. I love you,” said Ginny, throwing her arms around Harry’s neck. She quickly pulled away and walked out the door.

Harry watched her regretfully, as she disappeared into the growing darkness with the help of the Portkey. Harry closed the door and leaned his back up against it. He was grinning in spite of the fact that she was gone, because he was quickly remembering that Christmas was tomorrow and that he would see her again.

Mr. Weasley was putting the last minute touches on the Christmas tree. He stood back for a moment to admire his work. Mrs. Weasley was in the kitchen with Hermione and Fleur, baking cookies and fighting off Fred and George from eating them before the rest of the guests arrived.

Bill, Charlie and Percy were in the sitting room, giving Mr. Weasley directions on how to decorate the tree, and basically making Mr. Weasley crazy. Ron was upstairs, looking for Ginny. He found her in her bedroom. She had her Potions book open on the bed and was deep in concentration. Ron could not believe Ginny was studying on Christmas Eve.

“Ginny, what are you doing?” Ron asked, with a look of disgust on his face.

“Ron, get out of here! I’m trying to study!” Ginny barked.

“It’s Christmas Eve! Nobody studies on Christmas Eve,” Ron retorted. “What is it you’re studying anyway,” he added, twisting his neck to see the title of the book.

“It’s not your business,” Ginny growled.

Ron was taken back by Ginny’s response. He realized something was bothering her and it was not her studies. He became concerned.

“Ginny, are you okay?” he asked sincerely.

“I’m fine,” Ginny growled again, gritting her teeth and not looking up from the book she was trying to conceal.

“Well, it’s just that everyone’s downstairs…” Ron replied. He tried in vain to finish his explanation, but was rudely interrupted.

“I don’t care who’s here. Can’t you see I’m busy? Go away and shut the door!”

Ron knew something was bothering Ginny. She was acting even more strangely than she usually did. Ron said nothing else. He just turned around and walked out of her room, closing the door behind him. He ran downstairs and quickly called Hermione over, away from Mrs. Weasley and Fleur. Hermione brushed the flour off from her hands and joined Ron in distant corner of the sitting room.

“What’s the matter?” Hermione whispered.

“I’m really worried about Ginny. You know what she’s doing right now?”

Hermione shook her head.

“She’s studying! And even worse, she won’t even tell me what it is she’s studying,” Ron reported, his face contorted with worry.

“That is weird. Even I agreed not to study today, as much as I would have liked to,” Hermione admitted.

“Exactly!”

“Well, maybe I should go upstairs and try to talk to her. What was she studying?”

“I couldn’t tell. I told you; she wouldn’t say. I tried to see, but she had the book well covered,” Ron answered.

“I’ll go up and talk to her,” Hermione decided, then kissed Ron quickly on the lips.

“Thanks,” replied a relieved Ron. He turned to watch Hermione go up the stairs.

Hermione approached Ginny’s bedroom door quietly. She knocked twice and called to Ginny.

“Ginny, it’s me. May I come in?”

“Yeah, but be quick about it. I’m studying,” Ginny replied curtly.

Hermione slowly opened the door and looked at Ginny sitting on her bed. Ginny was propped up on her pillows. Her knees were pulled up, acting as a leaning post for her notebook.

“So what are you studying?” Hermione asked, trying to see the title of the textbook Ginny had opened on the bed.

“Why does everyone want to know what I’m studying? I would think you’d understand, Hermione.”

“I do. It’s just that it’s Christmas Eve. Everyone is downstairs. Your mum and Fleur are baking cookies. I just thought I was going to spend Christmas with my good friend,” Hermione explained, now sitting on the edge of Ginny’s bed. She tried to strategically place herself close enough to the book to see if she could read its contents. Hermione was successful at figuring out which book it was. It was the Potions book. Hermione grew concerned.

“Ginny, why don’t you take a study break and come downstairs with me?” Hermione suggested.

“Fine,” Ginny grunted. She slammed the Potions book and notebook closed, got up from the bed, and quickly stashed the books in her trunk.

Hermione stood up from the bed and observed Ginny’s strange behavior. She tried to keep a smile on her face to keep Ginny’s suspicions at bay. Ginny walked past Hermione without making any eye contact and left the room. Hermione quickly followed.

While downstairs, Ginny made a point of isolating herself from the others. She refused to join in on the cookie baking, and she barked at her brothers whenever they tried to involve her in the tree decorating.

Eventually the evening came to a close and everyone retired to bed. Hermione shared Ginny’s bedroom. Charlie stayed with Ron up in the attic. While Ginny fell into a deep sleep, her dreams began to take on a hideous scene….

The Dark Lord chased Ginny, Harry and Ginny’s brother. They stopped when they realized they could go no further. They were standing at the edge of a tall cliff. The rocks below were jagged and sharp. They were trapped. Ginny, Harry and Ginny’s brother drew their wands. The dark, misshapen wizard did the same. The Dark Lord was quicker, however, and shot a curse at their feet, causing the ground to give way. Both Harry and Ginny’s brother began falling down with the crumbling dirt. Ginny quickly turned around and grabbed both of them. Harry’s hand was in her left and her brother’s was in her right. As she felt her strength give out, she realized the terrible truth. She would only be able to save one of them…

Ginny woke up quickly. Sweat was running off her brow, as she stared into the darkness. As her eyes were adjusting to the lack of light, she could feel her heart beating ferociously. She looked over at Hermione. She wanted to wake Hermione, but was too afraid to move from her bed. She decided to lie back down and try to sleep.

It was Christmas day. The Weasley family was awake and excited. Everyone had gathered around the tree, except for Ginny. At first, no one had noticed, because it was quite chaotic; there were so many people in the house. Then, suddenly, Hermione looked around and noticed Ginny’s absence. She thought Ginny would have been awake and downstairs by now. She caught Ron’s eye, and her concerned look triggered Ron’s curiosity.

“What’s up?” Ron asked.

“Ginny’s not here,” Hermione replied, scanning the room again.

Ron looked around and noticed Hermione’s observation was correct. “Well, where do you think she is? Not studying again, I hope,” Ron snarled.

“I’ll go check in her room,” Hermione decided, making her way across the floor. Torn wrapping paper was scattered everywhere. Hermione quickly ran upstairs to Ginny’s bedroom, where she found Ginny huddled under the covers.

“Ginny, are you okay?”

“Yeah. I …have an upset stomach,” Ginny answered.

“Oh, can I get you anything? Maybe some tea?” Hermione offered, sitting down at the edge of Ginny’s bed.

Ginny pulled the covers back and propped herself up against her pillow. Hermione could see that Ginny had been crying. The streaks from fresh tears were still on her face.

“Ginny!” Hermione’s concern grew more with this new piece of evidence. Ginny was ill, but in what way? Hermione felt helpless.

The day wore on. It was late afternoon and the other guests had arrived, including Neville Longbottom, Angelina Johnson, some of Mr. Weasley’s colleagues from the Ministry, Fleur’s parents and her sister, Harry and Professor Albright. The Burrow seemed like it was ready to burst.

The whole time Harry was there, he tried to find a private moment when he and Ginny could be alone. Ginny kept trying to ignore Harry, painstakingly dodging eye contact with him. Harry grew more and more confused with Ginny’s need to avoid him.

Maybe she did not like the present that he gave her. It was a bubble bath set from the ‘Lilies of the Morning’ collection.

When Mr. Weasley sent Ginny out to the shed to retrieve a Muggle artifact, Harry finally saw his chance. As Ginny headed out to the shed, Harry carefully snuck out and followed her. Once they were just outside the shed, Harry made his move.

“Hey,” Harry said, sweetly.

Ginny quickly turned around and gave Harry a sharp look. “What are you doing here?” Ginny hissed.

Harry grimaced at Ginny’s response. His heart fell in his stomach. He could not understand Ginny’s reaction. “Ginny, are you mad at me?” he asked nervously.

“No. Yes! I mean, I can’t talk about it right now,” Ginny replied, growing ever more aggravated that Harry had trapped her.

“Well, just tell me what I did and I’ll apologize,” Harry shuddered, feeling Ginny’s cold glare.

“Look, Harry, this isn’t going to be easy for me to say this,” Ginny began, stumbling on her words, “but--” And with this ‘but’ Harry felt an awful stab in his chest-- “I don’t think we should see each other anymore.” They both entered the shed.

“What? Why? What did I do? Please, just tell me, and I’ll fix it,” Harry pleaded.

“It’s not anything you can fix. It’s just that… I can’t be with you anymore.” Ginny turned around and started looking for the Muggle item. She found it on the shelf. It was a cigarette lighter.

Harry could not speak. His legs were numb, and the pain in his chest was nothing like he had ever felt. It was as if something inside him had died. He felt a terrible lump swell in his throat. He wanted to cry, but his pride held him back. All he could do was watch her. She took the lighter off the shelf and quickly walked out, leaving a devastated Harry in the dimly lit shed.

Back inside the house, Mrs. Weasley was playing the old Christmas records. Ginny did everything she could to avoid the others. She quietly eased her way back upstairs to her room. Ron and Hermione gave up on trying to figure out what was bothering Ginny. They decided to focus their attention on Harry. Harry was trying hard to mingle with the other guests, but Hermione and Ron could tell that something was wrong.

The evening grew late and everyone decided to go home. Harry and Professor Albright returned to Grimmauld Place by wizard taxi. As they walked up the snow-dusted stairs to the front door, Professor Albright looked at Harry. She felt a terrible wave of sorrow emitting from him. Once inside, Professor Albright made her way to the kitchen to fix Harry and herself some tea.

Harry ran upstairs to his room. He fell back on his bed. Staring up at the ceiling, he replayed the events that happened in the shed. Things were so wonderful last night he thought. What changed? What did I do wrong?

Harry was pulled away from his racing thoughts by the sound of Professor Albright, calling him from the base of the stairs.

“Dobby, go see what Harry’s doing,” Professor Albright commanded.

Dobby quickly ran up the stairs and into Harry’s bedroom. “Harry Potter, Professor Albright is calling,” Dobby announced. A look of concern was on the little elf’s face. He too sensed that something was bothering Harry.

“Dobby, tell Professor Albright I don’t want any tea,” Harry grunted.

“Dobby would sir, but he’s afraid of her,” Dobby whimpered, his voice quivering.

Harry found this to be amusing, which was the comedy relief he needed. He sat up and looked at the quivering, little elf.

“Professor Albright is not the kind to take no for an answer,” Dobby squeaked.

Harry chuckled at Dobby, then got up off the bed. “Alright, I’ll come down,” Harry surrendered. Dobby smiled with relief.

Harry entered the kitchen. At the table Professor Albright was already sitting and having her tea. Across from where she was sitting, another cup of tea had already been poured and was waiting for Harry. Harry quietly sat down. He picked up a small spoon and began stirring the tea while, staring out into space. His face clearly expressed despair.

“So,” Professor Albright began, “what happened between you and Ginny tonight?”

Once again, Harry had been caught off guard. He did not have to look up at the old professor to know how she was looking at him. Harry responded by shrugging his shoulders. He continued to stare at his tea. He was afraid if he tried to talk, he would cry.

“Harry, remember what we talked about? How important it is for you and Ginny to be together? The love you share is your secret weapon.”

Harry managed to force himself to speak. The anger he felt from hearing the Professor tell him this again, was the motivation he needed to get out his question.


“Why?” he asked defiantly. “How could any love that Ginny and I share defeat Him?”

“It’s simple, Harry. Love is magic; all you have to do is believe.”

Harry looked up at the old professor and rolled his eyes at her. How could she be so smart and yet so naive? He shook his head as if waving a white flag. He’d simply given up.
Chapter 6 The Missing Links by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
The hunt for the Horcruxes is in full swing. Professor Albright and the trio know that time is running out. The war will be here in no time and there’s no time to waste. Ginny’s behavior grows more and more erratic, and the professor and the trio can’t figure out why. Ginny is becoming colder and more distant from her friends and family. Professor Albright knows he has a hold on her, but can’t figure out how. Will the professor and the trio find out in time? Will Harry and Ginny ever get back together? They had better! Harry’s very existence depends on it.

I would like to thank one of the greatest beta readers I have ever had. Without Thegirllikeme, this chapter would have been a disaster. She helped me to see the importance of sticking to my guns.

The Christmas break had come to a close. So many days had passed, but Harry felt no better than he did on Christmas night. Harry opened his trunk and began to fill it with his books and clothes. He paused to think for a moment. A weird tightening in his stomach began to take hold of him. This will be the last time I will pack my trunk to go back to Hogwarts. The next time will be in June, just before I walk out the doors of a place I called home for seven years. He continued to pack the rest of what he needed for his last term. He closed his trunk then stood up, turned around and sat down on it. He sat with hands folded and his head bowed down, as if in prayer. He stared down at his trainers.

What happened, Ginny? What did I do? Why did you leave me? My last year… I thought I could at least count on you. These thoughts tore into his heart.

Harry had experienced loss in his life. He was no stranger to heartache. He lost his parents at age one. He’d lost the godfather who he had grown close to in the two years that Harry knew him. He’d lost his greatest mentor, Albus Dumbledore. Why is this pain so different? Why does it hurt so much? Why does it cut so deeply? he wondered. The answer finally came to Harry. He loved her with all his heart. She was his soul mate, and he was certain that she felt the same way about him. At least, he thought she did. Professor Albright’s voice from the base of the stairs suddenly interrupted his thoughts.

“Dobby, Kreacher, go get Harry,” Professor Albright commanded.

Dobby and Kreacher fought each other to reach the top of the stairs. They raced down the hall to Harry’s room and, while trying to enter it, wedged each other between the doorframe. Harry looked up and laughed in spite of himself.

“I couldn’t imagine who it was that sent you two up here,” Harry chuckled.

Dobby escaped first and ran right to Harry. “Harry Potter, Professor Albright…” Dobby began, short of breath, but Harry cut him off.

“I know; she wants me to come down for supper,” Harry interrupted.

Dobby smiled, relieved that Harry was in a more cooperative mood. Kreacher looked on.

Harry came downstairs to the kitchen to find Professor Albright already eating. Strangely enough, Dobby and Kreacher each grabbed a chair and sat at the table to eat as well. Finding this odd, Harry stopped for a moment. Without saying a word, he walked over to the table and sat down across from the professor. Professor Albright put a plate of food in front of him. Harry picked up his fork and poked at the small mound of stuffing.


“Is something wrong with your supper?” Professor Albright asked, giving her usual glance over her bifocals.

“No,” Harry mumbled. His mind was on Ginny.

“Harry, did you get a chance to talk to Hermione and Ron about the Horcruxes?”

“When was I going to?” Harry grunted. “It was Christmas. You know what happened then! I guess my mind was somewhere else.”

“Harry, I know your heart is aching, but you must stay focused,” Professor Albright cautioned.

Harry looked up at her and rolled his eyes defiantly.

“Harry, it is imperative that you tell Ron and Hermione. You must find those Horcruxes and destroy them. And Harry, don’t be hurt by Ginny’s actions. I get a terrible feeling she’s not acting on her own accord.”

“What do you mean?” Harry asked. The professor’s statement piqued his curiosity.

“What I mean is that I think there may be an outside source influencing Ginny. It would not be far-fetched to think that someone or something has managed to find out Ginny’s and your secret. If that is so, it would not surprise me if this being isn’t trying to tear apart the one thing that could destroy You-Know-Who.”

“But who could it be?” Harry asked anxiously.

“I wish I knew. Unfortunately, my Transfiguration classes and duties at the Ministry leave me very little time to help you look. That’s why it’s important that you speak with Hermione and Ron immediately.”

“I will,” Harry agreed. His eyes were more alert. There was a look of determination on his face, and Professor Albright was relieved to see it. Harry’s appetite returned, as he dug into the chicken and stuffing.

A quiet moment was shared among all at the table. Then Harry broke the silence.

“Professor, I was wondering,” Harry began.

“And what would that be, dear?” Professor Albright responded, looking up from her half empty plate.

“If they took your wand away, how are you able to teach? Where did you get that wand that you use in class?”


“Professor McGonagall provided me with a regulation assigned wand. It only works within the confines of Hogwarts, and is limited to only Transfiguration class demonstrations. Its magic is extremely limited,” the professor explained. “She gave it to me the day that the three of us were in her office.”

“Really!” Harry replied.

“Why, yes, dear. What do you think Professor Snape used in his class all these years? Even though he supposedly came back to this side, he still committed a serious crime.”

“Really! Wait. Snape used his wand outside of Hogwarts.” Harry was quick to point out.

“Yes, but he was given a fully functioning wand by the Death Eaters,” Professor Albright clarified.

“So, Snape used a special wand too, eh?” Harry responded, ecstatic to hear this news.

“Certainly. You’ve heard of Igor Karkaroff? He too was assigned one, even though he was the headmaster of Durmstrang,” the professor revealed, watching Harry’s ever-growing expression of delight. “Didn’t you notice that many of the professors at Hogwarts had their turn in Azkaban, or stood in front of the Wizengamot?”

Harry continued to stare in amazement at what Professor Albright was saying.

“Even your beloved Hagrid. The only difference, of course, is that Hagrid was allowed to keep a fully capable wand in his possession, albeit it worked better as an umbrella, than it did as a wand. He needed it, or so Professor Dumbledore argued.” Professor Albright took a sip of water. “So, where do you suppose Severus Snape may be? Professor McGonagall mentioned that he escaped after that night,” Professor Albright recalled, referring to the night Professor Snape murdered Professor Dumbledore.

“We all think he’s hiding out with Draco Malfoy. That’s the one good thing about this year. No Draco! The coward!” Harry mumbled under his breath. “If I could get my hands on both of them…” Harry threatened, gritting his teeth.

“There, there, Harry. No use wasting your energy. As far as I see it, good riddance to bad rubbish.”

“They should be punished for what they did! The bloody murderers!”

“Draco murdered someone?” Professor Albright asked, even though she already knew the answer was no.

“No, but he was there and he didn’t try to stop Snape. He didn’t try to get help like I did. That makes him an accessory, doesn’t it?”

“Eat your supper, Harry, before it gets cold,” Professor Albright advised.

It was getting late. Professor Albright had retired to her room. Both she and Harry were heading back to Hogwarts the following morning. Harry went upstairs to his room and got undressed. He sat cross-legged on the bedspread and stared at its pattern as he thought. Dobby walked into the room and looked up at Harry. He could sense Harry’s sadness.

“Harry Potter is heart broken, because his Ginny is ill?” Dobby asked in a heartfelt voice.

“Yeah, something like that. Whatever you do, Dobby, don’t ever fall in love.”

Harry got up, crawled over to the head of the bed, pulled back the covers, and climbed underneath. Harry lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. He had one arm up and under his pillow. The weight of his head held his arm in place. This caused a strange thought to come to him. How was Ginny able to hold my arm so tightly that Christmas Eve? Maybe Professor Albright was right. Ginny was acting under someone’s or something’s spell, but what and how? Then another thought came to him. This thought made him smile. If she was under some spell that night, I’d give anything for a re-match. Harry removed his glasses, placed them on the nightstand, and drifted off to sleep.

At the train station, Professor Albright and Harry caught up with Ron and Hermione.

“So, are you all ready for your last term at Hogwarts?” Professor Albright asked the trio.

They had all grown so much since their first trip to Hogwarts. Hermione smiled and looked at Ron. Professor Albright smiled at Hermione.

“Where’s your sister, Ronald?” Professor Albright asked. Harry was glad that she asked.

“She’s already in a carriage. She’s sitting with Luna Lovegood, Colin Creevey and a couple of other sixth years,” Ron replied.

Harry’s heart sunk. Ginny did not even bother to wait for him. Maybe it really is over.

“Well, we had better get on the train and find a carriage before they all fill up,” Professor Albright advised, encouraging the trio to move quickly on board. Harry looked back at the professor with concern.

“No need to worry, dear,” Professor Albright assured, as she carefully stepped up into the train.

Harry supported her by putting his arm around her. They joined Hermione and Ron, who had found a carriage, three doors down.

While inside the carriage, Professor Albright got right to work discussing the Horcruxes with Hermione and Ron. She told them how Harry learned to use the Expono Animum spell and that he successfully destroyed the piece of soul in the locket. She went on to inquire about Hermione’s efforts to learn more about the Horcruxes.

“Hermione, Harry here tells me that you were going to do some investigation on school awards,” Professor Albright mentioned. “I believe you are on the right track. How far has your investigation taken you?”

“Er…well,” Hermione began. She did not want to admit that her investigation of the awards had been side tracked by her investigation of the professor. “ I had to put that on the back burner. Studies and all,” Hermione explained.

“Oh, I see,” Professor Albright replied, looking suspiciously over her bifocals at Hermione. She sensed that Hermione was not being completely truthful. Harry looked on, but he too sensed something was wrong.

“Well, I would love to stay and continue our little chat, but I think enough has been said. I need to go join the other staff members. Hermione, I trust you will pick up where you left off on your investigation,” Professor Albright confirmed, still peering over her bifocals.

“Yes, of course, Professor,” Hermione assured nervously.

The professor left the carriage and slowly walked to a carriage where some staff members had been sitting. Hermione did not hesitate. She immediately explained her inability to investigate the awards.

“Look, there was another reason why I didn’t continue my search for the awards,” Hermione whispered.

“Yeah, and what reason was that?” Ron interjected with annoyance in his voice. Hermione flashed him back a dirty look.

“I wanted to learn more about Professor Albright,” Hermione explained, leaning forward to where Harry was sitting.

“And what did you find out?” Harry asked defensively, insulted by Hermione’s intrusiveness.

“Harry, Professor Albright is no ordinary witch. She’s a very rare kind,” Hermione revealed.

Ron looked at Harry with a weird expression on his face.

“Yeah, how rare?” Harry asked skeptically.

“She’s a telekinetic,” Hermione replied.

“A tele-what?” both boys responded in harmony.

“A telekinetic,” Hermione repeated. “She can move and control things with her mind.”

“Yeah, so? We can make things happen,” Harry argued. “Remember when I made my Uncle Vernon’s sister blow up like a balloon, or the time I made the glass on the Burmese Python’s cage disappear? That was a laugh. Dudley fell right in.”

“No, Harry. This is different,” Hermione insisted.

“How’s it different?” Ron challenged.

“When you made those things happen, were you consciously making those things happen?” Hermione questioned.

“Well…er…” Harry stuttered looking at Ron. Hermione cut him off.

“Exactly. Well, she can! She can control things with her mind.”

“Well, how is that possible when the Ministry repossessed all her powers and confiscated her wand?” Harry argued.

“Harry, the powers that the Ministry took away were things that she had learned at Hogwarts. Her telekinetic abilities were something she had from the time she was born, and learned how to control before she entered Hogwarts. I guess you could say those abilities were grandfathered in,” Hermione explained.

“So, she doesn’t need a wand to move things or make things happen?” Harry asked nervously.

“Exactly. Whatever you do, Harry, don’t make her mad. You can keep your mentorship with her for as long as you like, just tread lightly around her,” Hermione warned.

Harry looked at Hermione then at Ron. Ron looked back at Harry. His eyes looked like they were ready to pop out of his head.

The train arrived at the station near Hogwarts. Harry stepped into the corridor and accidentally bumped into Ginny. His heart skipped a beat, and he turned bright red. He was unable to speak and he his legs began to give out from under him. Ginny glared at him for a moment then proceeded down the corridor to exit the train. All this time, Professor Albright had seen what happened. She was concerned for both of them.

It was late that evening, and the meal was served. Harry decided to have his first meal back at Hogwarts with Professor Albright in the staff quarters.

“So Harry, I think it’s time I talk to Ginny. I’ll speak to her after Transfiguration class,” Professor Albright announced.

“Well, I doubt it will do any good. For some reason she’s really mad at me,” replied a disinterested Harry.

“You know, I find it amazing that you can risk your life, fighting some evil wizard in a grave yard, but the moment you catch a glimpse of Ginny, your heart forgets how to beat, your knees grow weak, your legs go numb and your tongue swells up like a balloon. If I hadn’t known how much in love you are with the poor lass, I’d say you were allergic to her,” Professor Albright teased.

Harry realized the professor was playing the old game of ‘look-right-through-me’. It’s probably part of her telekinetic powers, Harry thought. He felt defeated. The professor was right. Lately, fighting Voldemort seemed much easier than dealing with Ginny.

“So, what do I do?” Harry asked. “I’m…in love with her…and if anything were to happen to her, I guess…I’d be…” Harry choked on the last word.

Professor Albright said it for him. “‘Done’, Harry?”

Harry nodded, looking down at his dinner.

“You know, I knew a bloke years ago who had the same exact problem you do now--The same exact one.”

“Yeah? And what did he do about it?” asked a thoroughly defeated Harry.

“Why the only thing he could do. He married me.” Professor Albright grinned triumphantly at Harry.

Harry quickly looked up, his jaw dropping open and his eyes bulging out. The professor let out what seemed to be a rather cliché kind of laugh for an old witch.

“Professor, I think I’m a little too young for that right now. Ginny’s only sixteen,” Harry informed.

“You know, that’s the problem with young people these days. They’re so afraid of getting old, they do everything they can to stay young, even at the cost of sacrificing the things that mean the most in life,” Professor Albright bantered. “You know, growing old isn’t really all that bad. It just takes a little getting used to.”

Harry had a thought go through his mind at this last sentence, and it left him with an additional ache in his heart. One day, probably soon, Professor Albright would die, leaving him feeling more lonely. He had grown attached to the old professor. To him, she was like a grandparent.

“Professor, just how old are you?” asked a worried Harry.

“Now, Harry, you know it’s impolite to ask a lady her age,” Professor Albright teased.

“Come on, Professor, seriously,” Harry persisted anxiously.

“Okay, Harry,” Professor Albright sighed, “out with it. What’s bothering you?” she snapped, with a no non-sense tone of voice.

“Well, it’s just that…I think of you as family. You’re like the grandmother I never had,” Harry replied sheepishly.

“What about your Aunt Petunia and your Cousin Dudley,” Professor Albright reminded.

“What about ‘em,” Harry scoffed.

Professor Albright giggled for a moment then said, “Harry, don’t be so quick to dismiss your Aunt Petunia. She may have her faults and was a bit unkind to you…”

“A BIT UNKIND?” Harry growled, with eyebrows raised.

“But, Harry, she’s family. Don’t you understand why she’s been so bitter to you, all these years?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders defiantly, not interested in hearing the explanation.

“When your grandparents were killed, Petunia took it very hard, especially the loss of her father. She was very close to him. The night they were killed, Petunia decided, that she would wash her hands of everyone and everything associated with the wizarding world. She blamed your mother for her parents’ deaths. It hardened her. After all, she lost both her parents at such a young age. Sound familiar?” Professor Albright explained.

Harry began to understand Aunt Petunia in a way that he had never considered before.

“Don’t be so quick to sell your Aunt Petunia short. She and Dudley are your family. Your Uncle Vernon…well, he’s another story.” The professor giggled.

Harry chuckled. He started to feel a little better about Aunt Petunia, but the question in his mind still kept him wondering. Professor Albright could see by the look on Harry’s face that he was determined to know how old she was.

“Okay, Harry,” Professor Albright replied, succumbing to Harry’s persistence, “in seven years, if I live that long, I will be eligible for membership in the Centigenarian’s Club.”

“The Centi-what?” Harry asked with a puzzled expression on his face.

“The Centigenarian’s Club. It’s for people who reach the age of one hundred,” Professor Albright explained.

“Oh,” Harry uttered, his mind racing to do the math. “So, you’re ninety-three?”

“Yes, Harry. Very good. Arithmancy has taught you well,” Professor Albright replied sarcastically.

“You mean you’re ninety-three-years-young, right?” Harry asked, hungry for reassurance.

“Well, I don’t know. Is there any such thing?” Professor Albright joked. “Finish your supper. It’s getting late.”

Harry did as Professor Albright directed, then he rose from the table, walked over to where she was sitting, bade her good night and proceeded to leave. As he started to walk away, Professor Albright grabbed his hand. They looked at each other without saying a word. Professor Albright smiled and nodded to give Harry the go-ahead to return to his dorm room.

The next morning was a shameful display of confusion and mishap. Students were rushing off to the Great Hall for breakfast. New students were getting stuck on the moving staircases and owls were flying amuck, delivering last minute items which students forgot to pack. They were at the mercy of their parents’ care packages. Harry spotted Hermione and Ron sitting with one another, and having breakfast. He walked over, dropped his books on the bench and plopped down next to Ron.

“Morning, Harry,” Hermione greeted. Not wasting any time, she started right in. “I was just telling Ron. Ginny’s been acting more anti-social than ever before. I’m really concerned for her. Do you think there’s anything Professor Albright could do?”

“I don’t know. She said she would try to talk to her after class.” Harry shrugged, pretending to be disinterested, and put a spoonful of cereal in his mouth.

“What could be causing her to be like this?” Ron asked, worried for his sister.

“I don’t know,” Harry replied, pouring some pumpkin juice into his glass.

“Well, let’s hope Professor Albright can talk to her,” Hermione said optimistically. “In the meantime, I plan on going to the library after classes to look up those awards.”

Transfiguration class was coming to an end and the students were preparing to leave for the midday break. Professor Albright eyed Ginny and watched her gather her books together.

“Miss Weasley, may I have a word with you?” Professor Albright requested from the front of the class.

The other students began to pile out the door. Ginny looked up nervously. She got up from her seat, picked up her books and slowly walked up to the front of the class.

“Yes, Professor Albright,” Ginny replied.

“Ginny, are you feeling well, dear?” Professor Albright asked, studying Ginny’s face carefully.

“Yes, I’m fine. Why?”

“Well, lately you seem to be distant and unfriendly to your fellow classmates,” Professor Albright answered.

“Well, are my grades in Transfiguration slipping?”

“No. On the contrary, you are tied with Luna Lovegood for highest marks in the class.”

“Well then, that’s all that matters,” Ginny replied coldly.

“Is it really, Ginny?” Professor Albright asked. A sad expression had settled on her face.

“Yeah,” Ginny scoffed.

“And what about Harry?”

“What about him?” Ginny retorted defensively. “You didn’t really expect us to be together forever, did you?” Ginny asked. A cold, callus look was in her eyes.

Professor Albright knew for certain. There was no question. Voldemort’s evil was attempting to take a permanent toll on Ginny’s life and Harry’s fate. She knew she had to contact Hermione and get that information about the awards.

“No, you’re right, Ginny. That’s all. You may go,” Professor Albright sighed.

Ginny turned around and walked angrily out of the classroom. Professor Albright went right to work. She grabbed some parchment and wrote a quick note to Hermione. She placed it in the beak of the owl that was used in class and sent it on its way.

Hermione’s Astronomy class was cancelled, so she took advantage of the extra time and went straight to the library. As it turned out, the library had a special section in reference on the different Hogwarts competitions and awards. Hermione already had an idea on how to narrow down her search. She started back as early as 1950. As she flipped through the records, she read from the list:




The information on students and awards are logged in the following order: STUDENT, SUBJECT, AWARD.

Eileen Prince, Potions, Ravenclaw’s Silver and Sapphire Bracelet

Severus Snape, Potions, Slytherin Gold Serpent Time Piece

James Potter, Defense Against The Dark Arts, Gryffindor Small Hourglass.

Amos Diggory, Care of Magical Creatures, Hufflepuff’s Cup with Badger Crest.

Lucinda Ayres McGregor, Transfiguration, Ravenclaw‘s Broche with Blue Diamond




Hermione’s heart leaped with excitement. However, she was feeling confused about what she had found out. Didn’t Harry say that Hepzibah Smith bought the cup? Hermione could not wait to ask Professor Albright about what she found. She quickly gathered her books, and ran back to the reference desk to return the materials she borrowed. She was in such a hurry to leave the library that she caused the owl, carrying the parchment from Professor Albright, to make a quick aerial U-turn.

“Oy, you bloody bird! You scared me half to death!” Hermione shrieked.

The owl dropped the parchment at her feet and, without even bothering to wait for Hermione’s reply, quickly flew back to the Transfiguration class. Hermione picked up the note and read it.

Hermione,
I hope this gets to you soon. Our situation is grave. I hope you’ve already started your search into the awards. I pray that you have already come across some valuable clues. Time is running out. I’m concerned for Ginny. My greatest fears have been confirmed. She is under his spell, but how? I do not know. Please see me as quickly as possible.
Your friend and fellow Healer,
Rose


Hermione quickly ran to the Transfiguration classroom. On her way, she bumped into Harry and Ron.

“Ron, Harry, follow me. We had a new break in the case,” Hermione announced excitedly, grabbing Ron’s hand and jerking him in the direction she was running. Harry quickly followed behind.

“Hermione, slow down!” Ron yelled. “What case?”

“The case of the missing You-Know-What’s silly,” Hermione replied.

“Hermione, are you serious?” Harry asked anxiously.

“Yes! Now come on! We have to see Professor Albright,” Hermione exclaimed.

The trio ran to the Transfiguration classroom and burst through the door. The sound startled Professor Albright, and she looked up from her desk quickly. She had been grading papers.

“Professor,” Hermione called out, as she, Harry and Ron ran up to the front of the class, “I have wonderful news.”

“You found the rest of the Horcruxes,” Professor Albright responded hopefully.

“Yes! Well, not all of them. There is one that I can’t quite figure out,” Hermione admitted, a tone of disappointment in her voice.

“Well, let’s see what you’ve found out and then we can go from there,” Professor Albright suggested.

Hermione opened her book bag and placed her notes that she had copied from the awards records, down on the professor’s desk.

Professor Albright and the boys quickly scanned the notes. Professor Albright ran her finger down the list. Harry’s eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw Amos Diggory’s name and the Hufflepuff cup.

“This is excellent work, Hermione,” Professor Albright exclaimed, praising Hermione for her investigative skills, “You have a true knack for research. A very important quality,” the professor emphasized, looking directly into Hermione’s eyes and smiling. Hermione felt a sense of pride.

“Hermione, I could kiss you!” Harry exclaimed.

“Allow me, Harry,” Ron chimed, as he put his arm around Hermione, and kissed her before she had time to protest. Ron pulled away and gave Hermione a big exaggerated smile.

Harry looked on, amused by the show. Professor Albright caught Hermione’s eye and winked at her. Hermione was too concerned about the awards to humor Ron and his antics. She wanted to know more about what she had found out.

“Professor, Harry said that Hepzibah Smith purchased the cup and had the locket, so how did Regulus and Amos get the locket and cup?” Hermione inquired.

“Well I don’t know if any of you know this, but You-Know-Who, when he was still known as Tom Riddle, worked for Borgin and Burkes, the antique dealers. After Hepzibah’s murder, Tom disappeared, but not before hiding the cup. He took the locket with him. It was Professor Dumbledore that figured out what happened to the locket. Remember your trip, Harry?” Professor Albright smiled.

Ron and Hermione looked accusingly at Harry, but he did not look back. He waited for the twinge of guilt, about not including his best friends on his trip with Professor Dumbledore, to pass.

“But that locket wasn’t there. It was replaced with a fake one and a note inside by the time Professor Dumbledore and I went to the cave,” Harry was quick to point out.

“Apparently, Regulus Black had taken the locket from The Dark Lord’s hiding place, after feeling guilty about trying to help the Dark Lord kill Harry’s parents. The first attempt, needless to say, was a failure, and Regulus knew that the Dark Lord would hold him accountable for the failed attempt. The Dark Lord was eager to get his hands on that hourglass, besides killing James and Lily for more obvious reasons,” Professor Albright added.

He was the one that killed Regulus, right?” Harry inquired, clarifying Professor Albright’s story

“Yes,” the professor confirmed. “Regulus knew that Grimmauld Place was a hidden sanctuary for him. As long as he remained there, he was safe from the Dark Lord. The thing was, he knew he would have to leave there eventually, so he contacted Professor Dumbledore to see if he could strike a similar deal, like the one Professor Snape had made. He and Professor Dumbledore agreed to meet at Hogwarts. Apparently, Regulus never told Professor Dumbledore that he had the locket. Perhaps he was going to use it as a bargaining chip, if Professor Dumbledore decided at the last minute to pull out on the deal,” Professor Albright informed.

“So, when did Voldemort kill Regulus?” Hermione asked growing impatient with all of the details.

“Regulus, was on his way over to Hogwarts a few days after Professor Dumbledore agreed to see him. Regulus never made it.” Professor Albright’s mouth closed tightly, as she watched the trio’s expressions on their faces. “So, good heavens! What was I saying, before we got onto all of this?”

“I think you were telling us about Tom Riddle and Hufflepuff’s cup,” Ron reminded her.

“Oh, yes! The cup! Anyway, Mr. Burke went to clean out Tom’s locker and accidentally found a secret compartment that Tom had made inside of it. It was in this secret compartment that Mr. Burke found the missing cup. I guess he figured there was no point in turning the cup in to the proper authorities, so he kept it,” the professor continued.

“Later on, when Professor McGonagall went over to Borgin and Burkes to purchase the antiques for the competition awards, Burke was eager to sell her the cup,” Professor Albright concluded her tale.

The explanation cleared up some of the mystery, but there was still one mystery left. There was one student that Hermione did not know-- Lucinda Ayres McGregor. She hoped that Professor Albright would be able to shed some light on this student.

“Professor, what do you know about her?” Hermione inquired, placing her finger on Lucinda’s name.

Professor Albright read the name and her face lit up. “Ah, yesss,” Professor Albright replied, with a snake-like hiss, reminding the trio of the house from which she hailed. “What do you know about Luna Lovegood?” she quizzed.

“Well, she’s completely mental,” Ron quickly responded.

“Ron, don’t be so cruel!” Hermione scolded.

Harry thought for a moment then remembered a conversation he had with Luna, after Sirius was killed. “Her mother was killed by accident, while performing an experiment,” he recalled.

“An accident!” Professor Albright replied giggling. “Is that what they call it now!”
Harry stood motionless. A chill ran up his spine. He sensed a very horrible truth was about to be revealed. The other two appeared stupefied.

“Oh, how could I have over-looked this? Of course, that’s it! He even managed to get Rowena’s broche, that son of a gun! So he did murder her!” Professor Albright exclaimed, talking to herself.

“Murder whom? Who received Ravenclaw’s broche?” Harry asked growing ever more frustrated with Professor Albright’s behavior.

Ignoring Harry’s frantic questions, Professor Albright peered at the trio. “You want to know who Lucinda Ayres McGregor was?” she asked.

The trio stared at her eagerly. As the tension grew, all was quiet.

“Lucinda Ayres McGregor was one of Hogwarts finest and most accomplished students in the discipline of Transfiguration that this school has ever known. She was also a descendent of Rowena Ravenclaw. The broche, which was considered absolutely priceless, considering that it belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw, was presented to Lucinda as the highest honor bestowed upon a student. It was considered appropriate at the time, because of Lucinda’s lineage. She worked with me on a project several years ago. The only difference was she was not known as Lucinda McGregor. By the time she was working under my supervision, she had already been married to the owner of the Quibbler, Mr. Lovegood.”

“Lucinda Ayers McGregor is…”Hermione began.

“Luna Lovegood’s mother and may she rest in peace,” Professor Albright added. “Find Luna and have her find the broche, and you will have found your fifth Horcrux, lady and gentlemen.”

“Well, we need to contact Mr.Diggory and see if we can get the Hufflepuff cup,” Hermione reminded.

“Never mind that right now. I’ll take care of Amos and his cup,” Professor Albright assured. “You just find Luna and quickly. We haven’t much time.”

“Oh, great! Ron and I have Quidditch practice after classes,” Harry groaned.

“Don’t worry, Harry. You and Ron go to practice. It’s important that you keep an eye on Ginny,” Hermione advised.

“That’s my girl, Hermione! Now all of you go,” Professor Albright urged.

The trio raced out of the classroom. Professor Albright went to the back office to gather some things before heading back to the Ministry.

Quidditch practice did not go as planned. The more Harry would practice catching the Snitch, the more Ginny would try to knock him off his broom. Ginny even hit the Quaffle so hard, with the back of her broom that it almost knocked Ron off of his when he caught it. Harry flew over to Ron to check on his condition.

“You all right, Ron?” Harry asked concernedly.

“Yeah,” Ron grunted. “ Just wait ‘til Mum hears about this!”

Both boys watched Ginny, as she continued to fly erratically. She recklessly flew around the bleachers of the Quidditch stadium. Her teammates did everything they could to avoid her unpartisan-like conduct. Even Karen Bell, Katie’s sister, flew over to Harry and Ron for additional protection.

“Harry, you have to do something about her. She’s gone completely mental!” cried Karen.

“Yeah,” Ron agreed. “You’re the captain. Do something!”

Harry raced over to where Ginny was continuing her disruptive tirade. He was careful to avoid putting himself in a position where she could ram her broom directly into him.

“Look, Ginny, if you want to be mad at me, fine. Don’t take it out on you teammates!” Harry yelled. It pained him to have to talk to her this way.

“I HAVE A BETTER IDEA. WHY DON’T I JUST BLOW OFF PRACTICE TODAY?” Ginny shouted back.

“Well, fine! If that’s the way you want it,” Harry barked.

“Fine!” Ginny snapped, as she raced off to the locker room. “Besides, I have a Potions test to study for!”

Harry slammed his hand down on his broom out of frustration. He immediately flew back to where Ron and Karen were hovering.

Meanwhile, Hermione searched frantically all over the school, trying to track down Luna. After a long search, Hermione finally found her. It was no wonder how Luna earned her nickname, ‘Looney Lovegood’. Hermione found her reading a book, sitting under a tree better known as the Whomping Willow. Hermione stopped a safe distance away from where Luna was sitting.

“Luna,” Hermione called out nervously.

Luna looked up from her book. “Oh, hi, Hermione. Why are you standing so far away?”

“Luna, you do know that’s the Whomping Willow you’re sitting under, don’t you?” Hermione stuttered, being cautious not to make any sudden loud noises.

“Yes, but don’t worry. It’s perfectly safe. This poor tree is just misunderstood,” Luna explained, looking at Hermione in a manner that seemed to resemble an unyielding dream state.

“Well, do you mind if I had a word with you, preferably someplace a little less conspicuous?” Hermione requested, continuing her cautious stance.

“No, not at all,” Luna replied, as she got up and walked over to Hermione, clutching her book close to her chest.

As the girls walked back toward the school, Hermione tried to explain to Luna the importance of her obtaining the broche while she tried not to give away any knowledge of the Horcruxes.

“Luna, I need to find the broche your mother won in the academic competitions. You see, I’m doing a…report…a class project and I need it for my display,” Hermione lied.

“Oh, well, I can help you. I keep the broche in my treasure box, in my dorm room. It was given to me after mother…had her accident,” Luna explained, a tone of sadness in her voice.

“I’m so sorry to hear about your mother,” Hermione said sincerely.

“Well, it’s okay, really. One day I will see her again,” Luna responded.

“Luna, who gave you the broche?” Hermione asked to change the subject.

“My father did. After mother had her accident, father recovered the broche from her sweater. She never went anywhere without it,” Luna replied.

“Really? Do you remember anything about her accident?” Hermione asked inquisitively.

“Well, not too much. I was very young when it happened. I do remember seeing a strange man at the window where my mother worked in the house. She had a small lab off from the kitchen. I remember running in when I heard the explosion. The man ran off when he saw me,” Luna recalled.

“Didn’t you tell anyone about this before?” Hermione asked, frightened by Luna’s story.
“I told father, but he just thought I was imagining it. He figured I was traumatized by what I had seen. Mother had been blown to bits,” Luna explained.

Hermione had no reply for this. She knew who the man was and realized how lucky Luna was that the man did not try to kill her as well. The girls continued to walk quickly back to the school. When they arrived, they immediately went to Ravenclaw’s dormitory.

“Wait here, Hermione,” Luna instructed.

Hermione did as she was told and waited just outside the entranceway to Ravenclaw’s common room. Minutes later, Luna returned, stepping out of the Ravenclaw common room to join Hermione in the corridor.

“Here you go,” Luna said, carefully placing the broche that was wrapped in a blue cloth, into Hermione’s open hand.

Hermione carefully examined the broche. It was awe inspiring for her because she appreciated its significance. Its antiquity, alone, was overwhelming. Even more so was its beauty. It was in the form of a sterling silver raven. The detail from its beak down to its feathers was extraordinary. The one thing that made it so valuable, however, was not the silver, but the raven’s eyes. They were made of exquisite, rare, blue diamonds. They were almost two carats each. Hermione could feel her hand starting to shake, she was so captivated by the broche’s breathtaking sparkle. She was also well aware of what this broche contained, and it was this knowledge that helped keep Hermione’s wits about her.

“Thank you, Luna.” Hermione smiled joyfully. “I’ll return it to you as soon as I’m done with my project.” With that, Hermione raced off to the Gryffindor common room. On her way she almost ran right into Professor Albright. The professor was carrying a small parcel.

“Oh, Professor, forgive me. I‘m terribly sorry,” Hermione apologized, turning bright red from embarrassment.

“What’s your hurry, dear?” Professor Albright asked.

“Professor, I’m so glad I found you.” Hermione smiled excitedly. “Good news! I got the broche,” she boasted, holding it up in its blue cover.

“Well, I’ve got good news too,” Professor Albright replied. “I’ve got the cup.” She held up the parcel. They both beamed smiles at one another.

“Hurry!” Professor Albright chirped. “We mustn’t waste time. Gather the boys and come back to staff quarters.”

“Right,” Hermione replied.

They hurried off in separate directions. Professor Albright returned to staff quarters with the cup. Hermione made it back to Gryffindor’s dormitories where she met up with Ron and Harry. Both boys looked like they had been through a war.

“Rough practice?” Hermione asked, with a smirk on her face.

“Don’t start, Hermione!” Ron replied, looking worn and sweaty.

“Well, this might cheer you up,” Hermione chirped, holding up her hand with the blue-clothed broche.

“What’s that?” Ron asked, with a puzzled look on his face. Harry held the same expression.

“The broche, silly.” Hermione unrolled the blue cloth to reveal the broche. Ron and Harry stared at the broche for a second.

“Hermione, you got it!” Harry exclaimed; his face lit up with excitement.

“How did you manage that?” Ron asked.

“It was nothing really,” Hermione replied, with a tone of false modesty.

“Hermione, I could…” Harry proclaimed.

“Kiss me?” Hermione remarked finishing the rest of Harry’s sentence.

“Allow me, Harry,” Ron chimed, as he tried to wrap his arms around Hermione to kiss her.

“RONALD WEASLEY!” Hermione yelled, and in the nick of time ducked out of Ron’s grasp. “Don’t you dare touch me until you’ve properly showered!”

Harry laughed while Ron pretended to be insulted.

“Go on, both of you! Get cleaned up! We can’t waste anytime. We have to be back at Professor Albright’s room,” Hermione demanded.

“Yeah? And why’s that?” Harry asked.

“Because, she has the cup!” answered Hermione triumphantly.

Harry looked at Hermione in shock. His heart leaped with a new kind of hope. He looked over at Ron. Ron looked back at Harry then to Hermione. Lastly, both boys looked at each other and grinned devilishly. Not a second later, both boys lunged at Hermione to try to kiss her face. Hermione screamed and ducked out again, just in time for Harry and Ron to kiss each other. Both boys behaved as if disgusted by the experience, wiping at their lips furiously. Hermione laughed.

“Serves the two of you right! Now go to your rooms and clean yourselves up!” Hermione commanded. This time the boys did as they were told.

Back at Professor Albright’s room, the professor removed the Hufflepuff cup out of the colorful paper bag. She was careful to handle it gently. She knew its powers were strong, as long as it held a piece of hissoul inside it. She heard a knock on the staff quarter’s door. Immediately, she hid the cup in her robe pocket. When she answered the door, Harry, Ron and Hermione were standing on the other side.

“Hi, Professor,” Harry greeted.

“Good. You’re all here.” Professor Albright smiled. “Come. Let’s gather in the center of the room.”

“Won’t anyone else see?” Ron asked.

“No, dear, we won’t do anything here. Follow me,” Professor Albright ordered, walking over to the fireplace in the staff common room. She ran her old, bony fingers along the engraved mantle piece, until she came across a carved flower. She pressed on it, and a partition of the wall, next to the fireplace, began to open. She walked through the opening and gestured for the trio to follow.

“What is this place?” Ron asked, wrinkling his nose from the strong, musty, and damp smell. They could hear water dripping somewhere off in the far distance.

“You are in the bowels of the castle,” Professor Albright announced.

“Lovely,” Harry mumbled sarcastically under his breath.

“I trust that you brought the broche with you, Hermione?” Professor Albright inquired.

“Yes, here it is,” Hermione replied, pulling the broche from the front pocket of her jacket.

“Very well. Place it on the floor. I’ll place the cup over here,” Professor Albright said, placing the Hufflepuff cup on the floor, a safe distance from the broche. The trio watched curiously.

“Now, everyone gather round, but don’t stand too close,” Professor Albright instructed. “Harry, starting with the cup first, I want you to demonstrate to Ron and Hermoine how to destroy a Horcrux.”

“Right, Professor,” Harry replied, carefully positioning himself in front of the cup, but taking care to keep a safe distance. He wanted to avoid a performance like the one he had with the locket. “First,” Harry began, demonstrating his posture, as if he were teaching a class to Dumbledore’s Army, “I point my wand directly at the cup. Next, I say the incantation, Expono Animum, three times, careful to keep a good distance between the Horcrux and myself. You need to stand back a bit,” Harry warned, noticing Ron and Hermione’s proximity to the cup.

Ron and Hermione took a few steps back. Professor Albright hid behind a stone pillar. Once Harry saw that everyone in the room appeared to be a safe distance away, he began the incantations. His voice grew louder each time he said it.

Expono Animum! Expono Animum! Expono Animum!” On this last incantation, Harry crouched to the floor, knowing what was coming next.

Ron and Hermione mimicked Harry. Hermione grabbed Ron’s hand. A bright purple light burst free from the cup, followed by the same black spot with yellow ring and finally the extremely loud, violent explosion. The sound caused stone and dust to rattle free from the walls.

After the shaking stopped, Ron sat up. “Whoa! Wicked!” he exclaimed. Hermione’s hair was all disheveled. Harry sat up too. He withstood this Horcrux-destroying procedure much better than on his first time.

“Well done, Harry,” Professor Albright praised. “Hermione, would you like to examine the cup?”

Hermione nodded, walked over to the cup and carefully picked it up. At first, it did not appear to be damaged. On careful examination, Hermione noticed a crack running through the badger. Hermione looked up and around at everyone. She said nothing, but merely smiled.

“Now who wants to try to extract a piece of soul from the broche?” Professor Albright queried, looking around.

“I’ll take a crack at it. Er…no pun intended, of course,” Ron joked, blushing from his own remark. Harry and Hermione laughed.

“Okay, Harry, review the steps with Mr. Weasley,” Professor Albright ordered.

“Right,” Harry replied. “Okay, Ron, point your wand directly at Ravenclaw’s broche.”

“Like this?” Ron asked, carefully lining up his wand directly with the broche. Ravenclaw’s broche was a small target and would prove to be more challenging.

“That’s good. Now say, ‘Expono Animum’ three times. Oh, step back a bit, too,” Harry reminded.

“Huh? Oh, yeah, right,” Ron responded, readjusting his footing.

“There, that looks good. Now go for it,” Harry commanded, taking shelter behind another pillar.

Hermione crouched back down on the ground. “You can do it, Ron,” Hermione cheered encouragingly.

Ron glanced at Hermione and nodded, then quickly looked back at the broche. He tried to concentrate, but the hard, quick beating of his heart created a distraction. Ron took a deep breath, swallowed hard, and began the incantation.

Expono Animum,” Ron blurted, looking nervously at Harry. Harry nodded back.

Expono Animum,” Ron repeated, now looking at Professor Albright.

Expono Animum,” he repeated for the last time. Only this time he closed one eye, turned his head slightly and winced, expecting the burst of purple light and loud explosion. At first, nothing happened.

Both Professor Albright and Harry peaked out a little further from the pillars they were standing behind. Hermione, supporting herself up on her knees, stretched her neck to get a better look. Ron looked around at everyone disappointedly.

“What went wrong? Nothing happened,” Ron complained. He began walking up closer to the broche.

“Well, it was a very small target,” Hermione piped up, trying to console Ron.

As Ron continued to approach the broche, a sudden burst of purple erupted from it. It was not followed by the black spot and yellow ring. It went straight to the explosion. This explosion seemed to be more violent than either the cup or the locket. It caused the room to quake and larger pieces of ceiling and wall to come down. Both Harry and Professor Albright were knocked to the ground. Hermione screamed, fell back onto the floor, and covered her face with her arms.

Ron received the brunt of the explosion and was thrown back several feet. He was lying flat on his back with his arms and legs spread out. His wand had flown to a distant corner of the room. He was about ready to get up when he lifted his head and saw Hermione running over to him. He decided he’d feign injury in hopes that he would receive additional coddling from her.

“Ron!” Hermione screamed, running over to Ron’s aid. She bent down and cradled Ron’s head in her arms.

Harry rushed over. Professor Albright walked over to where the trio was.

“Ron, look at me! Open your eyes, Ron!” Hermione yelled desperately. She bent down even lower, and kissed him. She looked up at Harry, with tears welling up in her eyes.

Harry returned her look with his own look of despair. Then he felt the urge to laugh, but he held back. Ron had turned his head slightly and winked at Harry. Professor Albright noticed it, too, rolled her eyes, and shook her head. Professor Albright decided to give away Ron’s cruel trick by giggling. Hermione looked up at Professor Albright. Harry started to gaffaw as well. The laughter was so contagious that Ron started in too. Hermione heard Ron, looked down at him, and hit him on the top of his head.

“RONALD WEASLEY!” Hermione yelled, abruptly getting to her feet and causing Ron’s head to slap down on the cold, hard floor.

“Ouch!” Ron yelped, still laughing.

Hermione walked back over to where the broche was still lying on the floor. She picked it up and examined it. “Oh, no,” she moaned.

“What’s wrong, dear?” Professor Albright asked.

“The broche. One of the diamonds came loose,” Hermione exclaimed, holding the broche up for Professor Albright to examine.

“No need to worry, dear. We can have it repaired,” Professor Albright assured.

“Well, one good thing came out of all of this,” Harry noted. “ We’ve now found and destroyed five of the six Horcruxes. We already know where the seventh piece of His soul is,” Harry reported, referring to Voldemort. “We just need to find the sixth one.”

“The only problem is, none of us know where to look,” Ron replied, picking up his wand from across the room and slipping it into his back pocket.

“Well, we’ve accomplished quite a bit tonight,” Professor Albright declared. “I think you three should be running off to your dorms.” Ron and Hermione said good night to the professor and got a head start to Gryffindor. Harry hung back for a while to spend a moment with the professor.

“Thanks, Professor,” Harry uttered.

“A.W.M.L.,” Professor Albright replied.

“What?” Harry asked, confused.

“A.W.M.L. It’s an acronym, Harry. It means, ‘Always Welcome, My Love’,” Professor Albright explained.

“Oh, where did you get that from?” Harry asked smiling.

“David, my husband, and I had such little things that we shared,” Professor Albright explained, reflecting fondly on a memory with a twinkle in her eye.

“You miss him, don’t you?” Harry asked.

“Very much,” Professor Albright admitted, choking back a tear.

“What other things did you and Mr. Albright share?”

“Well, we both loved music. He and I would put some music on the old turntable, and we would dance around the drawing room. When Daisy, my daughter, was a little older, the three of us would make a circle and dance,” Professor Albright recalled.

“How long did you do that?” Harry chuckled.

“Until that night…”

Harry knew what the professor was referring to. His smile left his face, and the conversation turned serious.

“You never listened to music after that night?” Harry asked, finding it so hard to believe that someone could deny herself such a pleasure in life.

“Well, I just figured, what was the point? I had lost them. They were my whole world. What was the point of listening to music that reminded me of what I had lost? David and Daisy made the music for me. After that night, it was no more David, no more Daisy…no more music.”

Harry found this to be absolutely heartbreaking. Professor Albright could see the sadness in his face. She did not want him to leave her on such a sad note. She tried to lift his spirits by acting as if the situation could be easily dismissed.

“Ah, Harry, water under the bridge.”

Harry found it remarkable how Professor Albright could recover so quickly. He, too, was desperate to change the mood. Then something the professor said caught his attention.

“Professor, did you say after that night, there was no more David and Daisy?”

“Yes, why?”

“You mean your daughter was killed by You-Know-Who, too?”

“Yes. Didn’t I mention that?” Professor Albright responded.

“No.”

“Oh, well. It was a very painful memory. I must have blocked it out,” Professor Albright replied nervously. “Now, enough questions. Off to bed!”

“Good night, Professor. I hope one day you and I can listen to some music together.” Harry grinned, as he left the staff quarters to return to his dorm.

“I hope one day you and Ginny dance together.”
Chapter 7 Harry Scores Again by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
The trio has successfully destroyed two more Horcruxes, thanks to Professor Albright’s assistance. Everything should be wonderful, but, as usual, it’s not. Professor Albright knows that something needs to be done to help Ginny with her “problem”. She calls upon the trio for a little brainstorming session. When they figure out what is causing Ginny to behave so terribly, it is Harry who winds up sitting in the hot seat. So the debate continues. Is it Harry that looks for trouble, or does trouble manage to always find Harry?

Once again, I must thank my beta reader Thegirllikeme for all of her hard work and dedication to “the cause”. I highly recommend her services, but only after she’s finished beta reading my story.

March was halfway through. Signs of spring were popping up everywhere. The snow was melting and streams were rising with the drips of the melting ice that came from the rocks and trees near them. All the signs suggested that Professor Albright’s plan, to defeat Voldemort and his Death Eaters, would be a success, except for one thing. Ginny was still behaving unsociably, especially to Harry. It was the most important thing, besides destroying the Horcruxes, that Ginny and Harry be together. Ginny’s love for Harry, in addition to the love from his mother that ran through Harry’s body, would be key to overtaking Voldemort. Without Ginny’s love, Harry would not have the ability to destroy the dangerously powerful wizard.

Professor Albright knew that she had to do something quickly. It would be April soon. The secret weapon was very close to being complete. Professor Albright decided it was time to do some brainstorming with the trio. She made arrangements to meet them in staff quarters that evening.

The day wore on quickly and it was time for the trio to meet with Professor Albright. Harry and Ron were in especially good moods. The Gryffindor Quidditch team had won the Quidditch Cup from Slytherin, ending the season on a prophetic note. Harry and Ron could not stop talking about it. It was driving Hermione crazy.

“Would the two of you stay focused? I hope you don’t think this meeting is going to be about Quidditch!” Hermione barked.

“Oh, give it a rest, Hermione! We know what the meeting’s about. Don’t you think I’m concerned? She’s my sister for God’s sake!” Ron yelled back.

“Well, good! I’m glad to see you understand the gravity of the situation,” Hermione answered, with a tone of self-righteousness in her voice.

Ron rolled his eyes at Harry. Harry grinned back. They made it to the entrance of the staff quarters. Harry knocked on the door.

“The door is unlocked,” Professor Albright announced, sitting at the table in staff quarters. Harry tried the knob, and it turned. He slowly opened the door and walked in, followed by Hermione and Ron.

“Glad to see you could join me,” Professor Albright said. “Take a seat. I trust you all know why you’re here.”

“To talk about why my sister is behaving like a prat,” Ron replied, with a snide expression on his face.

Hermione was about to scold him for his rude comment, but Professor Albright spoke up too quickly.

“Right you are, Mr. Weasley,” Professor Albright confirmed.

Hermione gave Professor Albright a look of surprise. Harry sat quietly.

“Hermione, tell me what you have observed about Ginny,” Professor Albright prodded, looking directly into Hermione’s eyes.

Hermione began to feel nervous. “Well, the one thing that stands out is her obsession with her Potions class. I’ve never known anyone to study as much as she does. Slughorn was never that demanding,” Hermione divulged.

Harry and Ron remained uncharacteristically silent. They watched Hermione and Professor Albright exchange thoughts about Ginny, as if they were watching a tennis match.

“By any chance, do you know if there is anyone in the class that may be bothering Ginny? Has she mentioned anything to you?” Professor Albright asked, concern growing in her voice.

“No. Nothing. How could anyone bother her? She doesn’t allow anyone near her. She alienates herself,” Hermione replied.

“Sounds to me like some thing has a hold of her,” Professor Albright hinted, peering at Hermione over her bifocals. “Are you aware that the piece of soul in a Horcrux has the capability of acting independently from the rest of the soul? It will do the bidding of the main piece, but it will act, as needed, to get the job done,” Professor Albright informed, addressing the trio with this information.

“Wait a minute!” Harry jumped in. “Are you saying you think Ginny’s behavior is due to a piece of Voldemort’s soul?”

“Yes, Harry,” Professor Albright answered, with a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

Ron’s face screwed up with fear. There was a moment of silence, then Hermione spoke.

“Professor, are you saying you think that Ginny has the last Horcrux, and the piece of soul inside it might have control over Ginny?” Hermione asked in an effort to clarify the professor’s statement.

“Precisely,” Professor Albright confirmed. “But in order for it to have such control over her, she must carry it with her. Do you notice anything on Ginny? Does she wear a necklace or a ring?”

“No. There’s nothing that has any significant markings. I mean, I think she wears a ring and maybe stud earrings,” Hermione replied looking at Harry and Ron for assistance in recalling the jewelry that Ginny might wear.

Professor Albright thought some more then, with a gleam in her eye, spoke. “Let’s recall what Professor Dumbledore said about the night the Dark Lord came to Harry’s house.”

“He said, after You-Know-Who tried to kill me, he became very weak,” Harry recalled.

“Good,” Professor Albright said, supportively. “What else do we know about the Dark Lord after that? Where did he go? What happened to him?” she probed, motivating the trio to recall as much as they could.

“Back in first year, Professor Quirrell kept the Dark Lord hidden under his turban,” Harry remembered.

“Yes, go on,” Professor Albright encouraged, smiling as she continued to motivate them.

“That’s right!” Hermione exclaimed. “He was too weak to have his own body. He was too weak to finish hiding his soul.”

“Yes, good, Hermione!” Professor Albright exclaimed, her enthusiasm heightened. “And knowing he would have been too weak to look for anymore trophies, where do you think he decided to settle putting the sixth piece of his soul?” Professor Albright asked, hoping this last question would at least put Hermione on the right track.

“He would put it somewhere … that held some significance, even if it wasn’t from the four houses. Although, if he had his choice, he would probably want to hide it in something that was related to Slytherin,” Hermione replied; her thoughts were racing.

Harry and Ron watched in awe, as Professor Albright carefully guided Hermione’s thought process. Professor Albright was encouraging Hermione to use her mental capacity to its fullest. Hermione looked exhausted. Then her face suddenly appeared revitalized.

“You know. I just remember something about Professor Quirrell, back in first year,” Hermione announced wide-eyed.

“Yeah? And what was that?” Ron asked.

“One time, I went over to the Potions classroom to speak with Professor Snape, but when I arrived, I caught Professor Quirrell rummaging through Professor Snape’s cupboard. He had a Potions book in his hand. At the time I couldn’t figure out why. Now, that I think about it, maybe he was trying to find Snape’s mother’s Potions book,” Hermione deduced.

“No. Considering that You-Know-Who liked shiny things, he probably instructed Quirrell to find Ravenclaw’s bracelet,” Professor Albright was quick to correct.

“You’re probably right about that, but if that’s true, what was Quirrell doing with the Potions book?” Hermione inquired.

“Perhaps, You-Know-Who realized, when Professor Quirrell was not able to find the bracelet that Professor Snape’s mother had won, he was going to have to settle for something else. He instructed Professor Quirrell to take Eileen’s book. She was just as gifted a student, in Potions, as Lucinda was in Transfiguration. The Potions book, now belonging to another gifted student from the house of Slytherin, would make for a reasonably decent Horcrux,” Professor Albright summized.

“Hey, that Potions book wouldn’t happen to be the one Slughorn found in the bottom of that old cupboard?” Ron asked.

“Yeah! The one marked, ‘Half Blood Prince’,” Hermione replied, glaring at Harry. “Harry, as I recall, you were quite smitten with that book last year.”

“Oh, Hermione, you still haven’t gotten over Harry getting better grades, than you, on his experiments,” Ron teased.

“Ron, are you forgetting that Harry made you lie for him? That book turned Harry into a desperate maniac, especially when Snape demanded that Harry give him the book. Remember that incident between Harry and Draco?” Hermione replied, in her defense.

“She does have a point, you know,” Ron asserted, looking at Harry, who was growing ever more nervous.

“Harry, are you okay?” Professor Albright asked, now noticing Harry’s recent condition.

“You know, Snape never did give that book to Dumbledore,” Hermione recalled.

“That’s true. If he had turned in the book that Harry gave him, Snape would have been turning in my book!” Ron exclaimed.

“So, where is Elizabeth’s book, Harry?” Hermione asked, addressing Harry directly.

“You know, that’s a very good question,” Professor Albright interjected. “Where is Snape’s Potions book, Harry?”

Harry looked at both Hermione and Professor Albright nervously. Ron immediately came to Harry’s aid.

“Wait a minute. Why are you picking on Harry? I thought you said, whatever was making Ginny act so weird, would have to be something that Ginny was wearing, or at least, carrying around with her,” Ron protested, looking almost accusingly at Professor Albright.

“Harry, where is Snape’s Potions book?” Hermione growled, gritting her teeth.

“Well,” Harry began, feeling extremely nervous, “when I knew Snape was going to ask me to turn my books over to him, I hid it in the Room of Requirement. Some how I managed to get in.”

“So, it’s in there now?” Professor Albright asked.

“Well, not anymore,” Harry replied nervously. “After Dumbledore’s funeral, I sensed that the book would somehow come in handy, so I went back and got it.”

“So, it’s back at Grimmauld Place?” Professor Albright asked, feeling more frustrated that Harry was not giving her a simple answer.

“Well, not now. I figured since a new book was expensive to buy, I…I…lent it to Ginny,” Harry gulped, waiting for the inevitable repercussions.

“Harry!” Ron shouted, his eyes popping out of his head.

“I’m sorry! God knows, I’m so sorry,” Harry moaned, throwing his head down on the table and putting his arms over it in shame.

“Well, a lot of good that’s going to do her now,” Hermione yelled, in reference to Ginny. “I told you that book would lead to no good!”

“Harry, you do beat all! I love you dearly. You are many things besides my prize pupil, but, when it comes to trouble, you are exasperatingly repetitious!” Professor Albright exclaimed.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. How many times do I have to say it?” Harry cried, his voice muffled from the weight of his head squishing his mouth on the table. His arms still covered himself.

“Well, don’t just sit there! Go get that book and do as you have been taught,” Professor Albright yelled.

“Harry, Ron, come on,” Hermione shouted, quickly jumping up from her seat.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron urged, pulling Harry’s arms off of Harry’s head.

“Be careful,” Professor Albright warned, “ I doubt Ginny will be in a cooperative mood. I’m sure that by now, his soul has quite a hold on her.”

The trio was just on their way out the staff door when Professor Albright called Harry back.

“Harry, come here,” Professor Albright called out.

Harry returned to Professor Albright’s side.

“Listen, Harry, I must warn you. When you try to take the Potions book, Ginny, or the spirit inside of Ginny, will try to resist you. It will resort to saying some horrible things to you, but you must overlook this. Understand where it’s really coming from. Keep talking to Ginny. Keep re-enforcing what you feel. No matter what ‘it’ says, keep talking to Ginny’s heart. Keep saying that you love her. Do you understand what I’m telling you?” Professor Albright asked intensively.

Harry stared into the professor’s eyes and nodded almost hypnotically.

“Good. Now go quickly!” she commanded.

Harry ran as fast as he could to catch up to the other two. The trio finally made it to the Gryffindor Common Room. They entered the Common Room to find Ginny at the table, standing in a combative stance and brandishing her wand.

“I know why you three are here,” Ginny accused, in an uncharacteristically deep voice. Her eyes glowed a strange, red hue. She was holding the Potions book in her other hand.

Harry was the first to approach her. The other two watched nervously.

“Ginny, please, give me the book,” Harry calmly demanded.

“No! I’ll never give this book to you,” protested the voice inside Ginny’s body.

“Please, Ginny. I’ll give the book back,” Harry promised, continuing to walk closer to her.

“One more step, and I’ll kill you,” threatened the voice.

“No, you won’t, Ginny. Please, just give me the book,” Harry repeated.

Hermione slowly reached for her wand, as she continued to watch Harry masterfully control the situation. Ron glanced quickly over to Hermione. He could see what she was trying to do. In the meantime, Harry continued to talk to Ginny.

“Please, Ginny, I want to help you,” Harry continued.

“HELP ME? You can’t help me! You can’t even help yourself! Pity I was only able to kill your parents. I should have killed you straight up!”

Harry had to keep cool. He remembered what Professor Albright had warned him about. Even though hearing these words coming from Ginny’s mouth, was almost more than he could take, he tried to remain strong. His voice began to quiver.

“Ginny, I know you’re in there. Please, I love you. Please, give me the book,” Harry pleaded. He began feeling a pang of fear in his stomach, as he watched Ginny raise her wand.

“Harry Potter, your existence has made it very difficult for me to achieve my ultimate goals. It’s time I put a rest to your intrusion,” declared the voice coming from Ginny.

Harry did not take his eyes off of her or the wand.

“You have taken your last breath,” the voice announced, as Ginny slowly aimed her wand at Harry.

“Uh, guys, a little help here,” Harry squeaked.

Ginny was about to fire the Avada Kedavra curse, when Hermione quickly responded.

Expelliarmus!” Hermione yelled.

Ginny’s wand quickly flew out of her hands, almost hitting Ron. Ron’s much improved Keeper skills helped him duck out of the way.

“Hey, watch it!” Ron quipped.

“Sorry,” Hermione replied.

Harry, feeling relieved, regained his courage and walked a few steps toward Ginny. “Ginny,” Harry called, looking as if to say, ‘You’re surrounded, give yourself up’.

“NO!” the voice bellowed, as Ginny clutched the Potions book tightly against her chest and crouched down on the floor.

Harry had all that could take. “Dammit! Give me that book,” he demanded, lunging at Ginny. Harry tried prying the book from her, but her strength was extraordinary. Harry looked up at Hermione and Ron who were watching fearfully.

“Ron, help me,” Harry ordered with a voice of desperation.

A frightened Ron looked at Harry confused. He knew that Ginny was not herself. Something evil was controlling her. Ron quickly looked back at Hermione for her response. Ron had a ‘what-should-I-do-look’ on his face. Hermione responded non-verbally by shaking her head. She too was frightened. She had never read about anything like this before. All she could do was watch her friend, Ginny, struggling from something eating away at her. Hermione felt helpless. A wave of panic spread through her whole body.

“Ron, help him!” Hermione finally cried.

Ron, still confused, ran over to Harry and Ginny who were wrestling each other for the book. Ron surveyed the situation then saw where he could break in. Ginny was kicking Harry furiously.

“Arg! OUCH! Ron, help!” Harry yelled pleadingly.

Ron dropped down to the floor and grabbed Ginny’s legs in a bear hug. Ginny was so strong that Ron could still feel her kicking him.

“Harry, hurry! I don’t think I can hold on for much longer!” Ron yelled.

Harry found his break when Ginny tried to re-establish her grip on the book. Harry cleverly slipped his arm under hers. This was the leverage he needed. He was able to successfully grab the book out from Ginny’s hands.

“Hermione, think fast!” Harry yelled, as he threw the book in Hermione’s direction.

Hermione screamed, as she saw the book being hurled toward her way. She was careful to avoid making any contact with it. She let it fall to the floor. It made a muffled thud sound when it hit the carpeting. Hermione prepared herself for the next step. She raised her wand again and pointed it directly at the book.

“Everyone, take cover,” she announced, as she proceeded to perform the Expono Animum incantation.

Harry immediately threw his upper body over Ginny’s to protect her from the impending blast. Ron, while still grasping tightly to Ginny’s legs, turned his head so that the side of his face was now pressed up against Ginny’s backside. His face winced involuntarily, a natural response to bracing himself for what was to come.

Expono Animum!” Hermione yelled out.

Both Ron and Harry gripped tightly to Ginny, who was now struggling to free herself from their grasp.

Expono Animum,” Hermione called out for a second time. Ginny was biting Harry’s arm.

“Ouch, dammit!” Harry yelled in response to feeling Ginny’s teeth sink into his arm, “Hurry up, Hermione!”

Expono Animum,” Hermione called out for a third time. She immediately dropped to the floor, covering her face. The all-too-infamous glare of purple light burst from the book, followed by the loud explosion. The explosion had a back draft effect on the flames in the fireplace. It caused them to shoot out from the mantle. Hermione screamed as she felt the intense wave of heat tumble over her.

“HERMIONE!” Harry yelled.

Hermione did not respond. Ron panicked not hearing Hermione’s voice.

“HERMIONE!” Ron cried.

Still, there was no answer. Ron sat up, looking over at Harry. Harry lifted his head up to look back at Ron. They both feared the worst. Ron’s expression had a look of terror and grief. They both looked down at Ginny, whose body was limp. Ginny was unconscious.

“Ron, check on Hermione. I’ll take care of Ginny,” Harry directed.

Ron quickly jumped up and ran over to the other side of the sofa where Hermione and the book were lying on the floor.

“Hermione,” Ron screeched. Ron knelt down next to her. He lightly stroked her hair. A look of worry swept across his face. It was this moment that he acknowledged the strong feelings of love he had for her. He turned her gently on her back. He lifted her head slightly with one hand, while gently caressing her cheek with the other.

“Hermione, please, wake up,” Ron whimpered. For the first time in his life, he felt as if he might lose someone very dear to him. It was a new emotion for him and he felt helpless. “Open your eyes, Hermione, please,” Ron pleaded, his voice trailed off, as a lump formed in his throat.

“Ron, is Hermione okay?” Harry yelled, as he cradled Ginny in his arms.

Ron tried to answer, but he choked on the words.

“RON!” Harry shouted. Harry’s voice jolted both Hermione and Ginny back to a conscious state.

“Ron,” Hermione whispered, looking up into Ron’s eyes.

Ron looked down into Hermione’s eyes. A quick wave of relief overcame him. He buried his face into her hair in an effort to hide the fact that he was close to tears.

Meanwhile, Ginny looked up at Harry. She smiled as a warm tear ran down the side of her face. Harry caught it with his thumb.

“Harry,” Ginny whispered weakly. “I love you. Forgive me.” Ginny fell back into a state of unconsciousness.

Harry hugged her tightly, cradling her body and supporting her head in the palm of his hand. He felt a twinge in his heart from hearing Ginny speak these words to him. He melted as he felt the warm tear on his thumb.

He turned away from her, thinking only one thing. Thank God. He turned back to Ginny, lying helplessly in his arms. He leaned over and gently kissed her forehead. He lifted her head a little higher and pressed his cheek against hers. He could feel his heart beating very hard and very fast. It would be a night the boys would never forget.

Ron desperately needed to break the tension he was feeling. He picked his head up from Hermione’s hair. In an act of bravery, he tried to overcome his embarrassment, caused by the fear that he almost lost the one girl he ever truly loved. He looked back into Hermione’s eyes, knowing that he could no longer hide what he was feeling. His face unabashedly displayed his emotions. Hermione smiled at him and touched his cheek. Ron felt a strong tug at his heartstrings. He looked over at the book. All the pages, though in tact and held together, had been cleanly separated from the hard cover binding. Ron did not miss the opportunity to comically express his relief.

“Wow, Hermione! I thought you’d be the last person to vandalize school property,” Ron joked. Hermione looked up into his eyes and smiled.

“WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE?” Seamus shouted, as a crowd of Gryffindors began to congregate into the Common Room.

Obviously Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were not the only ones that heard the blast. Harry had one thing run through his mind now. How do I explain this?

“What happened?” Lavender Brown inquired, anxiously.

“Uh,” Ron began, looking at Hermione. Then he looked back up at the rest of his fellow Gryffindors. “ It’s a long story.”

Some of the Gryffindors began to walk back to their dorm rooms, but Lavender, Seamus, Dean and Neville stayed behind.

“What’s with that book on the floor?” Neville asked.

Ron was surprisingly quick with an answer, “It had a boggart.” His voice carried an intonation that resembled a question more than an answer.

Seamus shot Ron a suspicious look. Neville just looked confused. Dean Thomas walked over behind the sofa and glared at Harry, who was still cradling an unconscious Ginny. Harry looked up at Dean.

“Some boggart, huh?” Harry uttered, with a guilty expression on his face.

Dean shook his head, as he shot a look of disdain back at Harry. Harry looked back down at Ginny, hoping that Dean would turn around and leave with the others. Eventually they did leave.

As Ron continued to hold Hermione, a thought came to his mind. “Hey, Harry,” he called out.

“Yeah?” Harry replied.

“What was all that stuff about? You know, telling Ginny you love her?”

“Huh? Oh, that. Uh…well…Ron… there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you,” Harry stuttered.

Both Ron and Hermione laughed. “Forget it, Harry. I already know,” Ron chuckled.

In the days that followed, Harry sensed that something still wasn’t right with Ginny. She kept trying to avoid him. Harry knew he had to talk to her. He decided to wait for her one day outside of her Transfiguration class. As Ginny stepped out of the classroom, Harry grabbed her arm. Ginny was startled, not expecting to be grabbed.

“Ginny, do you have a minute?” Harry whispered.

“Well, I really have to go. Luna and Hannah are waiting for me,” Ginny replied, nervously avoiding eye contact.

“Well, I’ll make it fast then,” Harry assured, feeling a bit put out. “Are we alright now? You know, now that we took care of the book?”

“Alright? Yeah, I guess. Wait. What do you mean?” Ginny asked nervously.

“I mean, we’re still together, right?” Harry asked, fearing Ginny’s reply.

“Harry,” Ginny began, tears filling her eyes, “I’m still afraid. You don’t understand.”

“Well, I’ll try if you give me a chance. Won’t you at least give me that?” Harry pleaded, growing impatient.

“Harry, you don’t understand. I’m scared.”

“Ginny, you said you loved me, remember? Remember that night, after Hermione did…what she did to the Potions book? You told me you loved me. You looked into my eyes and said you loved me. So, I just want to know. Do you still feel that way? Because I still feel that way about you,” confessed a dejected Harry, his heart sinking into his stomach from the pain of looking into Ginny’s confused eyes.

Ginny began to cry, and she covered her mouth. She closed her eyes, as she tried to turn away from Harry. She looked down at the floor, and two large teardrops fell from each eye.

“Ginny, I can’t take this,” Harry’s voice cracked. Frustrated, he stormed away, leaving Ginny crying.

Professor Albright was on her way to staff quarters, when she saw Ginny crying outside the classroom door. “Ginny dear, what happened?” she inquired sympathetically.

Ginny could not speak. She started to sob openly. Her books dropped to the floor and she put her arms around Professor Albright’s neck. She wept heavily on Professor Albright’s shoulder.

“Ginny, it’s okay. Whatever it is, it’ll be okay. Come. Let’s go back into the classroom,” Professor Albright suggested, leading Ginny into the room.

Ginny picked up her books and followed Professor Albright back.

“Now, Ginny,” Professor Albright began, sitting down at one of the student’s desks, “sit down and tell me what’s troubling you.”

Ginny took a seat at one of the desks across from Professor Albright and attempted to reply to Professor Albright’s question. “It’s …I …Harry…” But that was all Ginny could get out before crying again.

“Oh, I see,” Professor Albright replied, taking some tissues out of the pocket of her robe and handing them to Ginny.

Ginny took the tissues, blew her nose, and then clutched them in her fist.

“Did Harry say something to hurt you? Because if he did, you just tell me.” Professor Albright insisted.

“No, no, nothing like that. It was me. I just can’t be with him anymore. I can’t be with anyone,” Ginny wailed.

“Why is that?” Professor Albright asked, now growing suspicious that Ginny was still under some sort of spell. “Did someone say anything to you?”

“No.”

“Then what makes you think you can’t be with anyone?”

“It was this dream--more like a nightmare,” Ginny replied.

“Go on,” Professor Albright encouraged, certain of her suspicions.

“In the nightmare, Harry, I and one of my brothers -- I couldn’t see his face -- were being chased by You-Know-Who. He trapped us at the edge of a cliff. He made the ground give way, and I was holding onto Harry’s hand in my left and my brother’s hand in my right. I could feel my strength giving out. I knew I had to make a choice. The most horrible question ran through my mind.” Ginny could not finish. Professor Albright filled in the rest.

“Whom do you hold onto? Whom do you let go?” Professor Albright completed, smiling at Ginny.

Ginny could not speak. She was overcome by grief again. Professor Albright got up and walked over to her desk to get the box of tissues. She walked back to where Ginny was sitting and placed the box down on the desk. Ginny reached for a tissue.

“Thank you,” Ginny whimpered.

“Now, listen, Ginny,” Professor Albright ordered. “What you experienced wasn’t a dream. It was a vision implanted into your mind by You-Know-Who, designed to confuse you. Its main objective was to force you to feel uncomfortable about your feelings for Harry, thereby causing you to feel the need to end your relationship. Don’t you see the beauty in the simplicity of such an evil plot? As long as you and Harry are split up, Harry no longer benefits from the additional protection your love offers. Don’t let it work, Ginny.”

“Well, even though that may be true, it still doesn’t answer my question,” Ginny sniffed, collecting herself.

“And what question is that?” Professor Albright inquired, knowing very well what the question was.

“Which would have been the right choice? Whom should I have saved?”

“Well, let me ask you this,” Professor Albright replied. “Do you know why people and animals make babies?”

Ginny gave Professor Albright an odd look, but she went ahead and entertained her question. “Yeah. To keep the people and animals going.”

“And what would happen if they did not make babies?”

“They would die out.”

“Precisely. Do you think it is important that your family keeps going?”

“Yes, of course,” Ginny replied.

“Do you wish to help your family by having a family of your own?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Then who do you think would be better to help you make your new family, Harry or one of your brothers?” Professor Albright smiled, as she observed Ginny’s face.

Ginny’s face lit up. She even started to giggle. Then another thought started to nudge her conscience. “Wouldn’t I be acting disloyal to my family? After all, my brothers are my blood,” she was quick to point out.

“Ginny, don’t you realize you would be doing a greater disservice to your family if you remained loyal to your brothers and failed to move on with a family of your own?” Professor Albright questioned.

“But that would still be wrong. Maybe my brother had someone that he wanted to marry and have a family,” Ginny argued.

“Ginny, when making a decision, sometimes it isn’t always whether or not the final decision is right or wrong. Ginny, as a scientist, I have learned that Mother Nature makes decisions about who lives and dies every day. Sometimes Her decisions seem wrong, even cruel, but the species must go on. If one member of the herd needs to be sacrificed, then it is sacrificed. Do you know why?”

Ginny shook her head.

“Because the survival of the herd is more important than the survival of the individual. I know it sounds pragmatic, even selfish. Believe me, if the Sorting Hat was placed on Mother Nature’s head, she would be placed in Slytherin.”

“I know what you’re trying to say, but I still don’t know if I could live with myself, knowing that I let go of my brother, who is definitely a part of my life. To do that, with the hope that Harry and I would be together forever, seems like a terrible gamble,” Ginny stressed.

“Ginny, no one is saying it would be an easy decision to make, but sometimes in order to do what is right, you have to do what is hard-- what is logical. Never make decisions based solely on your emotional needs. That’s why Mother Nature has managed to maintain a balance in the world,” Professor Albright explained.

Ginny was still not completely convinced. It was time for the professor to ask the most poignant of questions.

“Ginny, I sense you are still struggling with this dilemma,” the professor observed.

“Well, yeah. Like I said, maybe my brother has someone he loves. Maybe Harry and I wouldn’t wind up together in the end after all,” Ginny speculated.

“Ginny, you can’t go wasting away in might be’s and uncertainty. Let me ask you one question.” Professor Albright gazed into Ginny’s eyes. “Are you in love with Harry?”

“Yes. Of course I am, but I love my brothers too,” Ginny replied nervously.

“I didn’t ask you if you loved Harry. I asked you if you are in love with him. Could you see yourself spending the rest of your life with him? Would you risk everything you had just for the chance to spend every moment of your life with him?”

Ginny’s mouth dropped open as she returned the professor’s gaze. She furled her brow then looked away. There was a moment of silence then Ginny gave her answer. “Yes. I would die for him.”

“Then what you’re telling me is all the fear and all the trials would be worth it to be with him. You are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in the name of love, even if it means always being uncertain and afraid.”

Ginny began to cry again. “Yes. I would sacrifice everything for the chance to spend the rest of my life with him.”

“Well, then Ginny. The answer, however hard, should be clear, yes?”

Ginny nodded. Then Professor Albright delivered the question that helped Ginny make her final decision. “You haven’t forgotten that Harry’s and your love is the secret weapon against him, have you?”

Ginny’s eyes opened wide. She shook her head vigorously.

“Well, then, I guess, you could say your decision to protect the herd outweighs the decision to protect the individual. While your brother would die, Harry’s and your love would save the wizarding world.”

“So, I guess, I should go find Harry,” Ginny concluded.

“Yes, that would be a logical step in the right direction,” Professor Albright encouraged.

“What am I going to say to him? He must be furious at me. I’ve hurt him so. I know I have,” Ginny wept.

“Ginny, you need to find him. Talk to him. He’ll be hurt at first. After all, you did break his heart terribly, but he loves you,” Professor Albright assured.

Ginny smiled in spite of her nervousness about having to face Harry. She got up from her chair, leaned over to Professor Albright and hugged her. Ginny left the classroom.

It was late afternoon. Classes adjourned for the day. The sun was still high in the sky, as spring moved into April. Harry had gone to the Owlery to visit Hedwig. Ginny spotted him. Feeling very nervous, she quietly walked inside. She watched him for several minutes before making a sound. She cleared her throat to announce her presence.

Harry quickly turned around and glared at her for a moment. He greeted her quickly then turned his attention back to Hedwig. Ginny felt her stomach caving in. Her heart sank, but she knew she could not back down now.

“Harry,” Ginny gulped, his name almost got lodged in her throat. “Can we talk?”

Harry did not turn around. He shrugged his shoulders as he continued to tend to Hedwig.

“Harry, I just wanted to say I’m sorry for everything I put you through. I know I hurt you and I’m so sorry. There was a reason for what I did, but I talked to Professor Albright and she helped me straighten things out,” Ginny stammered. She could see that Harry was trying to resist her. This behavior did not help relieve her nervousness. She felt like she wanted to cry.

“Harry, won’t you even turn around and look at me?” Ginny pleaded.

Harry stopped petting Hedwig. He stared ahead, took a deep breath, and turned to face Ginny. Ginny’s heart began to skip beats, as she looked into Harry’s glaring eyes. His expression was undeniably angry.

“Harry, say something,” Ginny begged.

“What would you like me to say? You said you’re sorry. Fine! You want me to say I accept your apology? Fine! I accept your apology,” Harry snarled, gritting his teeth. He turned back to Hedwig and continued to stroke her feathers.

“Harry, is that it?” Ginny whimpered feeling like someone dug her heart out of her chest.

Harry turned around swiftly. His anger began to increase.

“What else would you like me to say? Ginny, you broke my heart! You dumped me! You didn’t give me a chance! You never even gave me the courtesy of telling me what I did wrong!” Harry shouted, his voice growing louder with rage. By this time, Ginny’s eyes were pooling with tears.

“Harry, I had something bad happen, and it frightened me,” Ginny sobbed.

“What? What, besides that thing with the Potions book? What else could have possibly happened, for you to treat me like that?” Harry’s face grew red with more rage.

“Well, I had this dream, and it made me think I had to choose you over my brother,” Ginny started to panic, stumbling on her explanation. None of the words were coming out right.

“What?” Harry blurted, cutting her off. On top of his rage, he was now growing extremely frustrated with her.

“I’m trying to explain it to you, but I can’t with you looking at me like that. Please give me this chance. I’ll tell you everything.”

“Fine. You were saying something about a dream?” Harry scoffed, walking over to sit on a bench next to where Ginny was standing, “I’m listening.” Harry’s arms were folded; his demeanor was defiant.

“I had this dream over Christmas break. We were being chased by You-Know “Who -- you and I, and one of my brothers. Anyway, he trapped us. He chased us to the edge of a very high cliff, then shot a spell to cause the ground to break away from under our feet. I grabbed you and my brother just before the two of you fell. I was holding each of you by your hands. I felt my strength giving out, and I knew I was going to have to make a decision. I woke up before I knew what that decision was. It left me feeling very guilty,” Ginny revealed. She was relieved that she was able to finish her story, but was still feeling nervous.

“Why did you feel guilty?” Harry asked, now calming down and beginning to understand.

“Because I was hoping that I had saved you,” Ginny confessed.

“You felt guilty, because you hoped that you chose me over your brother?” Harry asked, feeling as if the whole thing was absurd.

“Yeah,” Ginny replied.

“Well, Ginny, it’s good that you wanted to save me,” Harry assured.

“It is?”

“Well, you can’t spend the rest of your life with your brother. That would be weird,” Harry chuckled.

“That’s what Professor Albright said. She even said it wasn’t a dream. It was probably a thought, planted in my head by You-Know-Who to get me to break up with you. You know, make you less powerful, because you wouldn’t have my love,” Ginny stuttered.

“She’s probably right. Professor Albright is pretty smart,” Harry agreed, smiling up at Ginny.

“Yeah, well, I realize that now, but I’m afraid it’s too late. I’m afraid the damage is already done. Even though I know it’s all that I deserve, I’m afraid you’re going to force me to live the rest of my life regretting what I’ve done to you,” Ginny sobbed. “Please don’t. Please give me another chance.”

Harry became nervous. Ginny was having a nervous breakdown in front of him and he didn’t know what to do. He knew, deep down inside, he was extremely grateful that Ginny wanted him back. He reached up, took her hand and guided her down next to him. He put his arm around her. Ginny wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in the nape of his neck.

“Hey, Ginny, you know that’s not gonna happen. I’m not going to force you to regret what happened. I know, now, that it wasn’t your fault,” Harry replied, trying to console her. “Hey, do you love me?”

Ginny lifted her head, looked into his eyes, and nodded. She put her head back down on Harry’s shoulder, nuzzling her face under his chin. Her hair tickled his neck and caused him to jerk away then chuckle a little.

“I love you too. Hey, can I ask you a question?” Harry asked. His one arm was wrapped around Ginny’s waist, while her left hand rested in his other hand. He was gently caressing the soft skin of her hand with his thumb.

Ginny acknowledged Harry’s question with a smile and a nod.

“What exactly do you love about me?”

Ginny quickly lifted her head and looked into Harry’s emerald eyes. “Huh?”

“What do you love about me?”

“You want me to list all the things I love about you?” Ginny asked, astonished.

“You mean there’s more than one?” Harry teased.

“Well, yeah. You really want me to tell you? Take you on an ego trip?” Ginny knew she was beaten.

Harry was good at putting people in their place without really trying. “Well, yeah. It’s the least you could do, after breaking my heart,” Harry joked.

Ginny put her head back down on his shoulder. “Harry, I said I was sorry,” she whimpered.

“Ha, gotcha!” Harry blurted, poking Ginny playfully in her side and making Ginny recoil. “So, are you going to give me that list?” Harry teased. His pirate smile was irresistible.

Ginny looked up at him helplessly. She took a deep breath, then she studied him for a moment to help her get started. She finally thought of something.

“Well, I love… your hair.”

“You love my hair!” Harry responded, in a tone of disbelief. “Good. You can have it. I was planning on shaving it off!”

Both Ginny and Harry laughed at Harry’s joke. There was silence for moment, then Harry coaxed her to continue.

“Okay, go ahead. Besides my hair, what else do you love?” he chuckled.

Ginny thought some more. Then she blushed. She was looking into his eyes. “I love your eyes. I look into them, and I get lost in them. And, yet, at the same time I feel so found.”

Harry was listening intently. Ginny continued to think. She knew he wanted to hear more.

“Go on,” he gently encouraged, still smiling his irresistible pirate’s grin.

Ginny continued with her list. “I love how you look when you’ve got the Snitch in your grasp. You have this triumphant look on your face.”

Ginny turned away for a moment to think of something else. It did not take her long to add something else to the list. “I love how loyal you are to your friends. I think if everyone was as loyal to their friends as you, this world would be a lot better.”

She paused for a moment then carried on. “I love how I feel when I’m in your arms. I feel so safe. The whole world could be falling around me, and I’d know that, as long as I was in your arms, I would be in the safest place I could be.”

Harry continued to listen. He instinctively put his other arm around Ginny and hugged her gently.

“I love the way you kiss,” she went on to say. “You have the softest lips and you’re a good kisser.” Ginny blushed.

Harry blushed too. He said nothing for a moment. He just smiled at her with the same lady-killer’s grin. “So, are we okay?” he asked.

Ginny looked into his eyes and smiled.

“So, if I were to kiss you right now, you wouldn’t yell at me or --?” Harry wasn’t able to finish his question. Ginny had pulled him into a kiss. When they broke away, Harry looked lovingly into Ginny eyes and, in jest, asked, “So, I guess it’s okay to kiss you?”

Ginny laughed and looked down blushing. Harry touched her cheek. He lifted her chin and gently placed his lips on hers.

Only seconds later, Ron, Hermione, and Neville burst into the Owlery. Hermione and Ron were calling out to Harry.

“Harry, look! Our acceptance letters have arrived!” Hermione announced excitedly.

Both Harry and Ginny looked up at Hermione, Ron and Neville. Hermione handed Harry his letter. Harry accepted it nervously from Hermione’s hand and looked at it. He looked up at Ginny, whose eyes were filled with anticipation.

“Well, open it, Harry!” Ron demanded anxiously.

Harry knew there was no getting around the truth. Either the Department of Magical Law Enforcement considered him to be of Auror material or they did not.

“Well, this is it,” Harry gulped nervously, looking into Ginny’s excited eyes. He quickly peeled away at the envelope, pulled out the letter, and began reading it to himself.

“Well, come on, Harry! What does it say?” Ron asked anxiously.

Harry beamed a smile then proceeded to read the letter aloud.

“‘Dear Mr. Potter, congratulations…’” Harry began, but the moment he read the word, ‘congratulations’ Hermione, Ron and Neville screamed and cheered. Ginny threw her arms around Harry’s neck and kissed him enthusiastically on the cheek.

Harry looked back at Ginny. His heart was pounding with overwhelming joy. “This is it, Ginny. I’m going to be an Auror!”

“It couldn’t have happened to a better person. Your parents would be so proud of you, Harry!” Hermione praised.

“So what’s with the rest of you lot?” Harry joked.

“I’ve been accepted to St. Mungo’s Medical Apprenticeship,” Hermione announced proudly.

“I’ll be joining my dad at the Ministry. We’ll be a father and son team.” Ron answered proudly.

“I’ll be doing my apprenticeship at Herbaceuticals Incorporated.” Neville joined in.

“Well, it looks like we all have something to celebrate. We have to tell Professor Albright. I’m sure she’ll want to hear all about this!” Hermione beamed a broad smile.
Chapter 8 Beyond the Veil by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
Hermione gives everyone a math lesson with a calendar, fandom cliché plays on a statement that JK Rowling had said, about a character maybe getting a reprieve, and Professor Albright finally reveals to Harry where she’s been keeping herself all these years. Take a step beyond the veil and find out why Harry is confused, frightened, and happier than he could have ever imagined.

Once again, I would like to take this opportunity to thank my faithful beta reader, Thegirllikeme.
The showers of April left the landscape looking very green and lush, but it was not a time to relax and enjoy the spring days ahead. Professor McGonagall knew very well that this spring could be the last that Hogwarts might ever see. The war was coming. All around, witches and wizards were gearing up to fight what they hoped would be the final battle.

Professor McGonagall gave strict instructions to the other professors to allow early dismissal for all studentss over the age of seventeen willing to join up and fight. Students willing to join up would be exempt from their N.E.W.T’s. Harry and Ron were a few of the first. At the tender age of seventeen and eighteen, their ideas of glory and honor seemed a bit misplaced, but necessary.

Ginny and Hermione were most concerned about Harry and Ron’s involvement. While Harry had no choice-- he was the ‘Chosen One’ and considered the only one capable of successfully defeating Voldemort-- Ron could have found another way to assist in the cause. As Hermione suggested, he could join up with his brother Charlie and breed dragons.

Hermione joined up with the other students who were accepted into the Healers apprenticeship program. These students would be needed to help take care of the wounded soldiers. However, Hermione still chose to take her N.E.W.T’s. She looked forward to taking them all year.

Harry and Ginny tried to make the most of their time together. After all, it was spring. Harry wanted to put the thought of the war out of his mind. Part of him felt that, if he was going to meet his demise at the hands of Voldemort, he might as well stock up on as many good memories as he possibly could. Harry and Ginny decided to pay a visit to Hagrid. Hagrid had been away for a few months. No one knew his whereabouts. He refused to discuss it with the trio. Harry and Ginny decided they would stop by for small talk. While walking down to Hagrid’s revamped cottage--the fire from last year had taken it’s toll on the old cottage-- they spotted him playing catch with Buckbeak, better known as Witherwings.

“’ey, ‘arry, Ginny, what ‘re ya all up ta?” Hagrid greeted, throwing a large dead rat over Buckbeak’s head and far into the yard. Buckbeak quickly ran in its direction.

“Just came by to see you,” Harry replied.

“Where’s Ron an’ ‘ermione?” Hagrid asked, stepping out of the way, as Buckbeak came running back for a second treat.

“Hermione and Ron are over at Honeydukes,” Harry replied.

Buckbeak spotted Harry and walked over to him. Harry carefully reached his hand out to pet him. They were past the formalities of bowing to one another.

“Witherwings looks ‘appy to see ya,” Hagrid observed.

Harry smiled and kept petting Buckbeak. Ginny made a point of staying on the other side of Harry. Buckbeak’s size and potential for severe harm made her a bit cautious.

“Hey, Hagrid, can Ginny and I go for a ride on Witherwings?” Harry asked.

“Harry, I’m not going on him,” Ginny protested.

“‘Ey now, watch it. You’ll insult ‘im,” Hagrid retorted.

“I thought you didn’t like riding him, Harry,” Ginny recalled.

“Well, that was when I first flew on him. Witherwings and I have come to know each other a little better, right boy?” Harry smiled and gave Buckbeak an affectionate pat on his head. “ So, do you want to go for a ride?” Harry smiled at Ginny.

Ginny gave Buckbeak a doubting look then shook her head. “Uh-Uh, no,” she replied, smiling at Harry.

“It’s okay, Ginny. Witherwing’s really quite tame, once he learns he can trust you,” Harry explained, but Ginny was still reluctant. “Come on, Ginny. Don’t be scared. I’ll be with you. Please?” Harry faked a plea.

“Uh, I don’t know,” Ginny replied, feeling a bit more tempted to give it a try. Buckbeak slowly walked over to Ginny and bowed his head. Ginny froze in fear.

“What are you so afraid of? Buckbeak stayed with us at my house, when the Order was there, remember?” Harry asked, helping Ginny recall a couple of years back. Harry took Ginny’s hand and guided it to Buckbeak’s head. “Look. He just wants you to pet him,” Harry encouraged.

After awhile, Ginny was petting Buckbeak fearlessly. Harry watched them both.

“So, ready to go for a ride?” Harry asked eagerly.

“Well, don’ push ‘er, Harry,” Hagrid cautioned, in Ginny’s defense.

“It’s okay, Hagrid,” Ginny replied. “Yeah, I’ll go with you for a ride.”

Harry did not hesitate. He guided Buckbeak over to the open field. Ginny followed. Hagrid looked on. Harry had Buckbeak lower his body closer to the ground, so that he could climb up onto Buckbeak’s back.

“Come on, Ginny,” Harry urged, reaching his hand down and encouraging Ginny to climb up.

“Hagrid, come here a minute,” Harry called out.

Hagrid walked over to Buckbeak, Harry and Ginny. Hagrid already knew what Harry wanted him to do.

“Ok, Ginny. Hold on,” Hagrid cautioned, as he lifted Ginny up onto Buckbeak’s back. He had her sitting in front of Harry. Harry patted Buckbeak’s side.

“Let’s go, Witherwings,” Harry commanded.

Hagrid stepped back, as Buckbeak began to trot quickly, flapping his large wings. Harry held onto Ginny around her waist. Ginny closed her eyes tightly and held onto Harry’s forearms. She felt a sudden drop in her stomach, as Buckbeak pushed off from the ground and soared up into the air. Buckbeak, dipped suddenly to level off, flying several feet above the ground. Ginny’s stomach continued to flip-flop.

Harry strained his neck to watch Ginny’ s expression. She screamed as if she was on a roller coaster ride. Still holding tightly to Harry’s arms, Ginny felt the thrill of being on such a scary ride while being held by the one she loved. Harry laughed as he watched her reaction. Harry straightened himself up. He loosened his grip around Ginny. Ginny grabbed onto the feathers on Buckbeak’s neck to steady herself.

“You like it?” Harry asked.

“Yeah! Oh my God!” Ginny screamed, with delight. “Go higher, Witherwings!”

Harry laughed. He decided to show off for her. He released his hold around Ginny’s waist and spread his arms out wide, as if he were flying.

“Ginny, look!” Harry yelled.

Ginny strained to turn her head. She could not see Harry’s face, but she could see he had stretched his arm’s out.

“Oh my God! Harry, you’re crazy!” Ginny screamed, laughing.

“No, I’m not. It’s fun. Try it.”

“Uh. Ok. But don’t do anything weird, Harry!” Ginny warned. “If I fall, I’m going to put a hex on you!”

Harry chuckled. “I won’t let you fall. Trust me. Do you trust me?” Harry asked, his face close to hers, talking into her ear.

“Harry, I’m warning you!” Ginny laughed.

“I won’t let you fall,” Harry replied reassuringly. “Close your eyes and let go.” Harry managed to pry Ginny’s hands free from Buckbeak’s neck. He held her hands in his.

Ginny felt the wonderful butterflies in her stomach. Harry slowly stretched Ginny’s arms out, as he continued to hold her hands. Ginny’s heart pounded rapidly. Once Harry felt that Ginny was steady, he loosened his grip on her hands and kept his arms spread out.

“Ginny, open your eyes,” Harry commanded.

Ginny did as Harry told her. It was the most amazing feeling. She was flying and she was free.

“Oh my God,” Ginny muttered softly. “I love it!”

Harry slowly put his hands on Ginny’s wrists. Ginny slowly pulled her arms back in, causing Harry’s arms to wrap around her. Ginny turned her head to face Harry and Harry stretched around to meet Ginny with a kiss. Buckbeak swooped up higher over the castle then turned around to head back to Hagrid’s. Harry and Ginny were still embraced in a kiss.

As Hagrid looked up, he chuckled to himself, “That’s my boy, Harry!”

It was later in the evening. Professor Albright was having her tea with Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione in staff quarters. They were asking the professor about what it was like at the school when she was a student. Ron and Hermione were especially curious about Professor Albright being a Slytherin. Harry pointed out that Slytherins had a reputation for being pragmatic, cunning and willing to do whatever it took to achieve their means.

“The Sorting Hat wanted to put me into Slytherin. I always wondered about that. I couldn’t figure out what would make it decide that until now,” Harry revealed, inferring to Professor Albright being a Slytherin.

“Harry, it doesn’t matter what gifts you have inherited. What does matter is how you choose to use those gifts,” Professor Albright explained.

“But Slytherins are conniving prats. Everyone knows that,” Ron interjected. The other three laughed at Ron’s statement.

“It doesn’t seem fair that the Sorting Hat put you in Slytherin. You didn’t deserve that. You don’t act anything like a Slytherin,” Ginny added.

Professor Albright thought for a moment. She realized she needed to undo the train of thought that the other four suffered from.

“Children, it would be so easy if we could tell whether or not a person was good or evil, just by knowing their surname or the house they have been placed in, but life is not so simple. Therefore, at our own risk, we must be willing to give an individual the benefit of the doubt. We must give an individual a chance to prove themselves. Don’t judge them based on what talents they possess, but how they choose to use them.”

“That’s true. After all, look at Slughorn,” Hermione noted. The other three looked at one another and nodded.

“Okay, children, it’s getting late. I’m tired, and you four need to get some sleep,” Professor Albright announced.

“Yeah, we better go. Mum’s coming to school tomorrow,” Ron announced. “Mum and Dad are going to Romania to visit Charlie, and they want to stop by to see us before they leave,” Ron explained.

“Professor, one question,” said Harry. “How are you related to the Malfoys?”

“Abraxas Malfoy is Draco’s grandfather. He was also my brother’s son,”
Professor Albright explained. “Needless to say, my brother and I did not see things eye to eye, nor did my parents. As soon as I turned seventeen, I left home. And on that note, good night children,” Professor Albright repeated, firmly.

“Good night, Professor,” Harry grinned.

“Good night, Professor Albright,” Ginny bade.

Ron and Hermione followed suit. The four left the staff quarters and headed back to Gryffindor.

It was Friday afternoon. Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione were in the Gryffindor common room keeping company with Mrs. Weasley. Professor McGonagall came in to see Mrs. Weasley. She wanted to tell Mrs. Weasley about how proud she was that Ron was a prefect and doing so well in his studies and Quidditch. Mr. Weasley had stepped out of his most prized possession. It was the car that Ron and Harry drove to school, back in their second year. He insisted on taking it, rather than Apparating to Hogwarts. Mrs. Weasley teased him, making references to ‘boys and their toys.’
Mr. Weasley went to the trunk of the car to fetch the care packages that Mrs. Weasley made for the trio and Ginny. While he was gone, Professor Albright came to visit the Weasleys in the Gryffindor common room.

“Rose,” Mrs. Weasley greeted happily.

“Molly, dear, good to see you,” Professor Albright replied.

Professor McGonagall was glad to have Mrs. Weasley and Professor Albright together. She needed to share with them some information about the war. Professor McGonagall took the two ladies to the side. The remaining four looked on. Ron was sitting with Hermione, who was studying History of Magic, at the corner table. Harry and Ginny were spending most of their time trying to catch an ear of what the three women were discussing.

“The Ministry has set a date for the war. Scrimgeour received a message from Severus Snape. The war date is as we had expected -- the Five Nines,” Professor McGonagall reported, directing her information to Mrs. Weasley and Professor Albright. Harry and Ginny overheard the conversation.

“What are the Five Nines?” Harry asked Ginny. Ginny shrugged her shoulders. She too was confused.

“Let’s ask Hermione,” Ginny suggested.

Harry and Ginny walked over to Ron and Hermione. “Hermione, what are the Five Nines?” asked Ginny.

Hermione had a worried look on her face. She was well aware of the term. It was a term used in both Arithmancy and History. For historic purposes, it represented a date when witches and wizards would begin a war. The date, when adding the numbers just so, would result in four nines. These nines, when added together, would equal thirty-six. Adding the three and the six from thirty-six would result in the fifth nine.

“This is bad,” Hermione uttered. “The Five Nines is a day that witches and wizards agree to have a war, if one is pending.”

“Well, how does it work?” Ron asked.

“Honestly, don’t any of you pay attention in Arithmancy or History?” Hermione scolded. The other three just rolled their eyes. “The Five Nines work like this,” Hermione began, taking out a sheet of paper to demonstrate. “Take a date and see if you can combine the numbers in such a way that they add up to four nines. For double digit numbers, you add the individual digits together to get a single number. Once you have that, then you add the four nines together. It gives you thirty-six. Three plus six is the fifth nine.”

The other three looked at each other in amazement. Harry began to catch on.

“Hold on. It’s 1998. So, if I understand you correctly, I already have three nines.”

“That’s correct,” Hermione confirmed.

“So, now all we have to do is come up with the rest of the date that would give us the fourth nine,” Harry concluded.

“Well that could be anything,” said Ron. “April Fifth, or April Fourteenth.”

“How about April Twenty Third?” Harry interjected. “Or even May Fourth?”

“How about May Thirteenth, or May Twenty Second?” Ginny proposed.

“Yes, all of them are legitimate guesses, but you’re forgetting one thing. We’ve already passed most of the dates in April,” Hermione reminded.

“So that just leaves us with the May dates,” Ron concluded.

“Or June,” Hermione added. “Not to scare any of you even more, but did you notice the progression of available dates has a space of nine days between them?”

“Why nine, Hermione?” Ron asked.

“Nine is a powerful number. It balances out the celestial numbers or odd numbers with the terrestrial numbers or even one’s-- kind of like good versus evil. The celestial world is always having some sort of symbolic battle with the terrestrial world -- spiritual versus material, get it?”

“What about the five in ‘Five Nines’?” Harry asked. “Where does the five fit in?”

“Honestly! If you all would do your homework, you’d know the answer to these questions. Five represents the pentacle! Also, multiply nine by five. What do you get?”

“Forty-five,” Ron answered.

“Right. Now add four plus five,” Hermione directed.

The other three said nothing. They just exchanged looks of astonishment. The four paused for a moment. They could over hear the conversation that Professor McGonagall, Mrs. Weasley, and Professor Albright were engaged in. Professor Albright was speaking.

“We, as the older, wiser generation, create conflict and cause confrontation amongst ourselves. It is our fault if a war breaks out, but when it comes time to fight that war, we do not send ourselves. Oh, no! Instead we send the one thing, the only thing that could offer us even the slightest morsel of immortality. We send our children!”

The ladies suddenly became quiet. They realized that the children were listening to their conversation. Professor Albright looked up at them.

“What are you studying over there?” Professor Albright asked.

“History,” Hermione replied.

“History! Ah, yesssss, History. So strange it is that we waste our time worrying about the past. It’s not as if we are going to do anything about it in the future. I must concede, however, while learning about the past is a boring task, learning from the past is imperative, if we want to avoid repeating it in the future,” Professor Albright proclaimed, now aware she had a captive audience.

“It’s still painfully boring,” Ron replied.

Professor Albright ignored Ron’s comment. She continued, where she left off.

“Unfortunately, the one thing that seems to be clear about the future is that when the future becomes the present, it seems to bear a striking resemblance to its predecessor. Therefore, I decree, no more history classes. They’re a waste of time. No one learns the lessons they teach. Besides, we can use the books for more useful matters. We can burn them and make more heat. It would certainly warm up this drafty old place.”

Professor Albright stopped talking to catch her breath. Everyone stared in silence at her. She seemed to have gone off the edge. Suddenly, the professor’s expression had become very callous and forlorn. She stared at the floor for a moment, then looked up and turned slowly toward Mrs. Weasley. She began to speak, almost in the manner that Professor Trelawney would when telling a prophecy. She was referencing how the war might affect the Weasley clan.

“Look sharp, Molly Weasley. Take a picture of that brood of yours. Study it carefully. Then decide, which of them you would miss the least, should the unthinkable occur. That way, when the unthinkable does occur, you will have already prepared yourself for the blow.”

No one said a word. The shock of hearing this from Professor Albright left everyone else in the room dumbstruck. Mrs. Weasley looked at Professor McGonagall. Professor McGonagall reached out to Mrs. Weasley and placed a supporting hand on her shoulder. Mrs. Weasley glanced over to where the trio and Ginny were sitting. She looked at Ron then at Ginny, then she turned around and rushed out of the Common Room.

Mrs Weasley hastily walked over to the car when Mr. Weasley had just pulled out the care packages.

“Molly, are you okay?” Mr. Weasley asked, sensing something terrible had just happened.

“Yes, I’m fine, but if we want to make it to Romania by this evening, we have to get to the train station now,” Mrs. Weasley replied, not looking directly at Mr. Weasley, but pretending to fiddle around in her purse.

“Well, okay. I’ll just run in and give these care packages to the children.”

Mr. Weasley rushed inside the school and over to Gryffindor. He kissed Ginny, hugged Ron and patted Harry and Hermione on their shoulders to bid them goodbye. Then he rushed back to the car and quickly drove off to the train station, with Mrs. Weasley.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley arrived in Romania later that evening. They met up with Charlie at the inn where they were staying, and had dinner with him. Later that night, Molly woke up. She got out of bed and went over to her suitcases. She took out a small picture album that she always took with her on long trips.

She opened it up and stared at the picture on the first page. It was a picture of all seven of the Weasley children. Knowing that Ginny was only sixteen and too young to fight, she focused her attention on her six sons. She thought about what Professor Albright had said. She tried to think of how she would feel if she lost one of them. She carefully studied each of their faces.

As she thought and stared at each face, an insurmountable feeling of terror and heartache overwhelmed her. She collapsed in a chair near the dresser. The picture album lay in her lap. She covered her mouth in an attempt to muffle the sound of her weeping.

Mr. Weasley woke up in spite of Mrs.Weasley’s efforts. He looked over at her sitting in the corner.

“ Molly,” Mr. Weasley called to her, getting out of bed and quickly walking over to where she was sitting, “what’s wrong?”

“I can’t! I can’t,” Mrs. Weasley howled, weeping and shaking her head.

“You can’t what?” Mr.Weasley asked.

“I can’t just accept losing one of them. I can’t prepare myself,” Mrs. Weasley replied.

Mr. Weasley understood what Mrs. Weasley was referring to. After almost thirty years of marriage, it was hard for them not to understand one another. Mr. Weasley put his arms around Mrs. Weasley to console her.

“Molly, you’re getting yourself worked up about nothing.”

“ABOUT NOTHING? Arthur, there’s six of them. What are the chances that they’ll all survive this war?”

Mr. Weasley began to fear the worst as well. He realized the odds were against them that all six of their sons would survive.

“I can’t take this! I’ll fall apart if I have to face losing even one.”

It was the first Tuesday in May. The Ministry was given the day that the war would begin -- May 31, 1998. Hermione was correct about the date -- a date with four nines. It would be held on a Sunday evening, an additional rule that Hermione had forgotten. Everyone’s nerves were on edge. The Quidditch pitch was being used for wand-to- wand combat training. Most of the male students, over the age of seventeen, opted to join the fight in lieu of taking their N.E.W.T’s.

It was approaching late afternoon. Professor Albright had finished with her last class of the day. She needed to go to the Ministry. The weapon, though disassembled, was complete. It was time, she felt, that Harry knew the truth of her precise whereabouts for the past seventeen years. She asked one of the students to summon Harry from the Quidditch pitch.

Harry met up with Professor Albright in the staff quarters. “Professor, you wanted to see me?” he inquired curiously.

“Yes, Harry. Go get cleaned up. I’m taking you on a little trip,” Professor Albright replied rather mysteriously.

Harry shrugged his shoulders and quickly ran off to do as he was instructed. Harry showered and changed in the Gryffindor dorms then quickly ran back to staff quarters.

“So where are we going?” Harry asked eagerly.

“I’m taking you on a trip to the Ministry,” Professor Albright announced.

“Uh, Professor, what’s so great about that? I have terrible memories of that place,” Harry replied, looking a bit disappointed.

“Harry, I think you’ll find this trip both educational and enlightening,” Professor Albright informed, smirking at Harry.

Harry begrudgingly agreed to go with her. They both walked out of staff quarters.

“How are we getting there?” Harry asked, as they proceeded to the school’s front entrance.

“Hagrid will take us,” Professor Albright replied.

They stood outside the front entrance of the school. Hagrid pulled up in what appeared to be a mystical kind of golf cart. Professor Albright and Harry climbed in the back. Hagrid pushed a sequence of buttons on the front panel. The buttons varied in color and had names for specific wizarding places. Hagrid pushed three buttons, ‘The Ministry’, ‘From’, and ‘Hogwarts’ in exactly that order. Before Harry knew it, the golf cart was off and flying. It landed near the telephone booth that Harry and Mr.Weasley used during their trip to the Ministry, over two years ago.

“Thank you, Hagrid,” Professor Albright smiled, stepping out of the cart.

“Thanks, Hagrid,” Harry followed.

“Anytime,” Hagrid replied.

Harry and Professor Albright stepped into the phone booth. Professor Albright picked up the phone and dialed several numbers. The next thing Harry knew, he was in the room that he recognized as the room where he had battled Bellatrix LaStrange and the other Death Eaters.

Harry suddenly got a sinking feeling in his stomach. “Professor, do we have to be here? This is where…where…” Harry’s voice faded. The memory of losing Sirius replayed unmercifully in his mind. He felt the pain of his loss all over again.

“You saw Sirius pass through that veil,” Professor Albright interjected, helping Harry finish his sentence.

Harry looked down. His face seemed forlorn. Professor Albright walked through another door into the room with the veil.

“Harry, follow me,” Professor Albright instructed. She was already standing inside the second room.

Harry slowly approached the doorway. He entered the room. Professor Albright was standing in front of the veil. Harry’s face turned a paler shade of white.

“Professor, what are you doing? That’s the veil that…get away from there!” Harry yelled, panicking and pushing the professor away from the veil.

“Harry, relax.” Professor Albright smiled. She walked back in front of the veil. “Stand next to me, Harry,” Professor Albright instructed.

Harry shook his head. “No!” Harry started to grow nervous of Professor Albright’s intentions. “Please, don’t do this,” Harry begged, feeling as if Professor Albright was up to something evil. His stomach began to tighten.

“Harry, I’m not going to be able to show you my project unless you go through the veil with me,” Professor Albright explained.

“But this is the veil that Sirius fell through before he died,” Harry replied.

“Harry, I’m growing impatient with you,” Professor Albright snarled, as she put her cane behind one of Harry’s legs, then pushed him hard, causing him to fall backward into the veil.

Harry felt as if he was falling through a giant, bright white tunnel, made from inflatable cushions. He came to an opening where he felt as if he was being squeezed out of a tube. He came out through a wall, making a sound like a vacuum seal being broken. He landed hard on a stiff mattress in what appeared to be some sort of laboratory. He sat up and slowly looked around. He had not been off the mattress for more than a few seconds when Professor Albright came flying out of the wall. She made the same vacuum-seal-break sound when she landed on the mattress. She sat up, steadying herself with her cane.

“Boy, they really need to do something about this entrance. The ride isn’t so bad, but the landing is murder,” Professor Albright exclaimed.

Harry helped her get off the mattress and onto her feet. “Professor, what is this place?” he asked.

“This place is where I have spent my seventeen years. I have been the lead scientist in conducting research and design testing for a secret weapon. This weapon, in addition to you, Harry, will be key to destroying the Death Eaters and Voldemort,” Professor Albright explained.

“So, where is this weapon?” Harry asked skeptically, a feeling of nervousness growing inside him.

“Come. Follow me,” Professor Albright commanded, walking toward an entrance with white, double doors. She took a key from around her neck, unlocked the doors, opened them, and stepped into the large room.

The room was all white with an entrance that appeared to be a hallway, located on the opposite side of the room. In the middle of the room stood a large platform and another table next to it. Large, canvas drop clothes covered both. Attached to the canvas clothes were ropes that led up to pulleys on the ceiling. The ropes continued across the ceiling and down the wall to a wheel with an arm that wound the ropes. Professor Albright walked over to the wheel and turned the arm. The ropes began to slowly lift the canvas and reveal the object lying on the platform underneath. Professor Albright watched Harry’s expression. His eyes widened, his jaw dropped. He had not seen anything like it before.

It was a large, long, metallic object in the shape of a giant wand. At the narrow end it had an opening. The wand was hollow. At the base, there was a larger opening and some sort of device that appeared to be capable of holding something in place. As Harry stared in awe of its size and dimension, Professor Albright walked over to the smaller table.

“Harry, I need your help with this,” said Professor Albright, pulling at the canvas on the table.

Harry quickly walked over to the table and hastily grappled with the canvas. Underneath the canvas, sitting on the table, was what appeared to be a large, crystal punch bowl. Harry was confused. Professor Albright read the expression on Harry’s face and began to giggle.

“What is it that confuses you, Harry?”

“What does a punch bowl have to do with your weapon?” Harry asked.

“A very good question,” Professor Albright replied. “This is no ordinary bowl, Harry. Look carefully,” she directed, inviting Harry to come closer to the table.

“You see this? This punch bowl is nothing more than many small prisms, glass blown together,” Professor Albright explained.

Harry took a careful look at the bowl. Sure enough, it was how Professor Albright described.

“Do you know what Chlorophyll is?” Professor Albright asked.

“Plants use it,” Harry replied with an inflection of a question in his voice.

“Very good, but do you know why it’s green?” Professor Albright asked. Harry had no answer.

“Chlorophyll is green, because it reflects the wavelength that represents the color green, while absorbing all the other wavelengths of the rainbow. It’s like a filter,” Professor Albright explained.

Harry just looked dumbfounded. The professor was starting to talk over his head. Suddenly, he understood the strong connection she had with Hermione.

“The point is, Harry, these prisms are coated with a chemical that behaves much like a filter. This coating only allows wavelengths of two hundred and thirty nanometers or shorter. Do you know what that is, Harry?” Professor Albright quizzed.

“Not a clue,” Harry admitted, completely amazed by the old professor’s capacity for scientific knowledge.

“Two hundred and thirty nanometers is Ultra violet light energy. It is a very high, intense wavelength of energy. Once this light energy hits the secret formula inside the bowl, it excites the atoms of the formula. These excited atoms are at a much higher energy level. When the wand shoots this liquid bullet, the bullet will, at the much higher, excited energy state, hit the target, releasing this energy abruptly, and causing the atoms to revert back to their original resting state. The energy released from this change of state will be so enormous, it will level everything within a radius of five hundred meters,” Professor Albright explained. It was clear by her tone that she was proud of her invention.

Harry stared at it, taking in the awesome size of its structure. A sudden sense of fear came over him. What was Professor Albright trying to describe to him? Was it what he thought she was trying to describe?

“Wait a minute, Professor. You mean to say this thing is…this thing is…” Harry stumbled on the word.

“Nuclear, Harry?” Professor Albright quipped, “Yesssss,” she answered, her eyes squinting like a snake and her mouth grinning devilishly.

“Professor, this … this thing you built…it’s a weapon of total destruction!” Harry cried, as the hair on the back of his neck stood up. He felt his skin grow cold. His heart started to beat very hard. He started to breathe quick, short breaths, as he became increasingly more nervous.

“Correct, Harry. In the wrong hands, in the hands of Voldemort and his Death Eaters, this would be a weapon of total destruction. But it is not in their hands. It is in ours. Therefore, it is not a weapon of total destruction, but a machine of righteousness!” Professor Albright declared.

Harry stared wide-eyed at the old professor. He was finding it difficult to believe what was coming out of her mouth.

“You’re mad! You’re completely mad!” Harry exclaimed. “I can’t let you do this.” Harry turned around and headed back toward the double doors.

Professor Albright, using her telekinetic powers, caused the doors to slam shut. Harry stopped abruptly. He felt a shudder up his spine. He began to breathe quickly again. He felt a sudden need to defend himself. While still facing the doors, he reached for his wand in his back pocket, but before he could get his hand on it, Professor Albright used her telekinetic power to retrieve it. Harry froze instantly. His body was trembling with fear. Finally, he managed to turn around and face Professor Albright. He knew his life was in peril. As Harry looked at her, he realized he was looking at someone who was prepared to do whatever was necessary to carry out the plan. Harry knew it was time to start begging for his life.

“Prof…Professor,” Harry struggled to call Professor Albright by the title he used out of respect, but the word kept getting stuck in his throat. His body began to tremble even more. His face held a pleading expression.

“Please,” Harry begged. It was the only word he could get out.

“Harry, turn around,” Professor Albright ordered calmly. Her face held no emotion. “I need to do what I need to do. I cannot let my emotional attachments get in the way of what is necessary. Now please, turn around. It is bad enough that I have to do this. I’d prefer not to look at you when I do it.”

“Please, don’t do this,” Harry begged. “I’m not going to turn around. If you want to kill me, you’ll have to look me in the eye to do it.”

“Harry, you understand that I have no choice. I will never forget the last time I let emotions get in the way of my judgment. It is neither wise nor fair for me to sacrifice the masses to spare the one. So it’s only logical that I do the opposite,” Professor Albright explained.

“You don’t have to go to this extreme to kill Voldemort. He’s not even whole. He’s one-seventh of what he used to be. He’s just a man -- a weak man. You need me to kill him. Remember Ginny’s and my love is the secret weapon, not this!” Harry debated, gesturing toward the giant wand.

“Harry, I don’t need you. We just need Ginny’s love for you. As long as she thinks you’re still alive, and she still love’s you, we can use that love against him,” Professor Albright explained. “Oh, and another thing. He is NOT a man. He is evil incarnate! He is the plague, pestilence, hunger, anger, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, pride, sloth,” Professor Albright ranted on. With each word, her breathing became more labored. Her voice became filled with rage. She began to tremble almost as much as Harry.

“He is the reason why little children disappear in the night and their mothers and fathers lay their heads down on their pillows, but never sleep,” she continued, her voice trembling along with the rest of her body. Then she made the most pivotal statement. It was this statement that caused Harry to have a change of heart.

“He can take your soul-mate, your soul, your livelihood, and your dreams and turn them to ashes in seconds,” Professor Albright wept. She turned around and walked toward the weapon. She tried to steady herself with the use of her cane while holding onto the platform.

The sound of her crying brought back a melancholy memory in Harry’s mind. For a few seconds, he was back with her at his parents’ graves. There was a moment of silence. Then Harry heard the doors behind him open.

“Go!” Professor Albright demanded, with her back still toward Harry.

Harry did not move other than to turn his head quickly toward the door, then back to Professor Albright.

“I said ‘go’!”

Harry slowly walked over to where his wand had landed on the floor. He bent down, picked it up, and slipped it into his back pocket. He slowly turned around and began walking toward the open doors. He pushed the doors open wide enough to walk through. He turned around and stuck his head back through the opening to get a glimpse of the professor still holding onto the platform.

He thought for a moment. Then he quietly walked back into the room, just enough so that his hand was still on the doorknob. He slowly pulled the door closed behind him. His back was leaning up against the door, and his hand was still on the doorknob. He watched Professor Albright as she quietly turned around. She had expected him to be gone, but was pleasantly surprised to see him standing there.

Harry let go of the knob. He walked over to where Professor Albright was standing. He leaned over, put his arms around her, and hugged her. When he pulled away, he looked into her eyes. She looked up at him and smiled. Her eyes were twinkling with joy. Harry’s mouth took the shape of a pirate’s smile again, then looked over at the weapon.

“So, what does it take to learn how to work one of these things?” Harry asked.

“Well, why don’t we ask the three gentlemen that helped me put it together?” Professor Albright proposed.

Harry looked at her with the same puzzled expression he had on his face when Professor Albright tried to explain to him how the weapon worked. Professor Albright began to call out the names of the three men, one at a time.

“Amos? Remus?” On the third name she strategically hesitated, while glancing over to Harry. She wanted to savor the expression on his face, when she called the name of the third man. “Sirius?”

Harry’s jaw dropped open, and his eyes opened wide instantly. He quickly glanced back at Professor Albright then back to the hallway on the opposite side of the room. It was from there that the three men appeared.

Harry focused his attention on Sirius. He did not say a word. He could only stare in amazement and disbelief. How could it be? Sirius was dead, but he looked very much alive from where he was standing. Sirius walked over to Harry and extended his right hand. Harry did not return the gesture. He remained still, his mouth agape and his eyes wide. He refused to allow himself any feelings of joy for fear that this was all a dream, and he would have to relive the pain all over again, once he woke up.

Sirius responded to Harry’s lack of reciprocation with disappointment. “Not even so much as a handshake for your dear, old godfather?” Sirius understood the reason for Harry’s response. He walked up closer to Harry, and put his arms around him. “I’m sorry I put you through this, but I needed to get out of that place.”

Everyone else in the room remained silent as they watched Harry and Sirius’ reunion. Eventually, Sirius broke his hug and backed away from Harry.

“Well, for God’s sake, Harry, say something. You act as if you’ve seen a ghost,” he joked and began to laugh. His joke broke the tension in the room and caused the others to laugh as well. Sirius looked at Harry and then hugged him again. This time Harry reciprocated.

Professor Albright directed everyone to go back down the hallway. The hallway led to a small kitchen. Professor Albright, Sirius, Amos, Remus, and Harry sat down at the table. Harry enjoyed asking the three men questions about what was happening. Harry helped Sirius catch up on what was going on with his life in and out of school. Harry was savoring every moment. He felt as if he was sitting at a table with his own family. His godfather was back in his life. To him, these people were the most important to him. Had it not been for the fact that Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were not there, this would have been a perfect evening.

Unfortunately, the evening ended much too soon, or so it seemed for Harry. He bade Remus and Amos good night, hugged Sirius one more time then left with Professor Albright to return to Hogwarts. The rest of the week went quickly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was Sunday evening. Harry had finished his homework and decided to take a walk by the lake. He would sit on a bench from time to time when he needed time alone to think. As he sat and looked out over the water, thoughts popped into his mind. Many of them made him sad. The fact that the war was exactly three weeks away began to sink in. He felt his stomach twist inside. He realized that these might be the last three weeks of his life. He also realized that there were so many things that he wanted to do, but never had the chance to do them. His thoughts ran to Ginny.

What would she do if I didn’t defeat Voldemort? What would she do if I died? Would she think of me? When the war is finally here, will she be strong enough and faithful enough to wait for me? If I could only be sure she would wait for me. It would be just the incentive he needed to be victorious. How could he be sure she’d wait? Then an idea came to mind. Maybe the professor was right. Maybe young people do wait too long. The thought scared him senseless, but he knew if he did not ask Ginny, he might wind up regretting it later. Harry stood up and ran back to the school to find her.

Ginny was in the Gryffindor common room, sitting with Hermione when Harry found her. Harry greeted them, then leaned over to Ginny and whispered to her to come with him. Ginny smiled, shrugged her shoulders, as if to say to Hermione that she did not know what was going on, then rose from the table. Ginny and Harry walked hand in hand out of the common room.

Harry led Ginny to the Astronomy tower. They both sat down on one of the benches. Harry put his arm around her. Ginny did the same to Harry. He smiled at her then kissed her. Ginny noticed he was nervous.

“Harry, are you okay?” Ginny asked.

“Um, yeah,” Harry replied, growing ever more nervous.

“So, do you want to talk to me about something?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah,” Harry replied, pulling his arm away and leaning over. His hands were folded in front of him as if he was in prayer. His head hung down in order to avoid looking into Ginny’s eyes.

“Harry, something is wrong,” Ginny remarked, growing nervous herself.

Harry realized it was no use. He could not back out now. He had to find out just how far Ginny was willing to go with him.

“Ginny, how much do you love me?” Harry questioned.

Ginny thought this was an odd question. She thought she had made it undoubtedly clear how much she loved him. “Why do you ask?”

“Will you…wait for me?”

“Wait for you to do what?” she replied, not following what was concerning him.

“Wait for my return from the war?” Harry answered, with frustration in his voice.

“Oh, that! Of course, I will! Wait. Is that what this is all about?” Ginny grinned.

“Ginny, do you see us being together forever?” Harry asked, tilting his head up to watch her expression. His hair hung in the way of his vision.

“Absolutely. Why?”

Then Harry asked the one question that made Ginny understand what Harry was really trying to ask. “Ginny, will you… wear my ring?” He was still peaking up at her to see her reaction.

Ginny did not want to make it too easy for Harry. She wanted to play with him a little bit. “Well, sure, but don’t you think it would be a little big on me? Your fingers are a little larger than mine, you know.”

“Well, I’d get you one that fits,” Harry stammered. He was looking into her eyes.

“Harry, what are you really trying to ask me?” Ginny prodded, pretending to be confused.

Harry’s heart felt like it was going to beat clear through his chest. He knew this was it. He could not back down. He thought, Okay, here it goes. He slowly slipped off the bench and onto his knees. He turned toward Ginny, but did not look up. He put both hands on the bench, one on either side of her. Still looking down, his long messy hair blocked Ginny’s view of his face.

Oh, God, Harry mumbled under his breath. Here goes nothing. He tried to catch his breath and swallow, but failed.

Ginny reached out to his face and lifted his chin. He tried to avoid looking into her chocolate brown eyes, but it was no use. He felt his knees starting to give way. He knew there was no turning back.

Harry’s voice quivered. “Ginny, uh…do you think…I mean, maybe…we could…you could…spend the rest of your life with me?”

“Harry, I get this feeling you’re trying to ask me to marry you.”

“Yeah?” Harry chuckled nervously. “Me too,” he croaked then grimaced thinking of how stupid he must have just sounded to her.

Ginny laughed at Harry’s reply. She decided she’d tortured him enough. She lifted his chin again and looked into his eyes. At this point, all the strength to fight her left him. He helplessly looked into hers.

“Yes, Harry. I’ll marry you.”

“You will?” Harry beamed, barely any sound coming from his voice. Ginny nodded then leaned in and gently kissed him.

“That was the most awful proposal of marriage I have ever witnessed!” howled a completely recognizable voice. How did Professor Albright know where to find them? “It was a complete mess!” she continued to rant.

Harry pulled away from Ginny’s lips. Ginny giggled.

Rolling his eyes and throwing his hands in the air, Harry exclaimed, “I don’t believe this! Professor, what are you doing here?”

“I’m here to make sure you do it right, which, needless to say, you didn’t!” Professor Albright snipped.

“I think he did fine,” Ginny defended.

“First of all, you’ll need this,” Professor Albright exclaimed, pulling a small box out of the pocket of her robe. “Now, come here,” she commanded Harry.

Harry was still on his knees. He did not move.

“I said, come here!” Professor Albright demanded, growing impatient.

“But, Professor,” Harry replied.

Professor Albright did not let Harry finish his protesting. She took her cane and guided the handle to wrap it around Harry’s neck. She tugged on it firmly, pulling Harry off his knees and causing him to fall flat on his face. Harry threw his arms out in front of him. Ginny gasped.

“Harry, get up and take this box,” Professor Albright demanded.

Harry picked himself up. While still on his knees, he took the box from Professor Albright’s hand and opened it. “Professor, there’s nothing in it,” Harry grumbled.

“That’s ok. Just put it in your pocket,” Professor Albright instructed.

“But, Professor…” Harry protested.

“I said, put it in your pocket!” Professor Albright yelled, stamping her cane on the ground.

“Ok, ok,” Harry agreed nervously. He’d learned his lesson, after the incident at the Ministry. Hermione’s warning was merited. Harry did as he was told. “Now what?” Harry snipped.

“Now go back over to Ginny,” Professor Albright instructed.

Harry slinked over to Ginny while still on his knees. Harry gave the professor a sarcastic look as he gestured that he was waiting for the next instruction.

“Now, take Ginny’s hands in yours.”

Again, Harry followed Professor Albright’s instructions.

“Now, look into Ginny’s eyes. Ginny, you look into Harry’s eyes.”

Ginny and Harry did as Professor Albright told them too, and a strange, warm feeling came over them.

“Now, listen carefully,” Professor Albright began. “Ginny, recall the first time you saw Harry. Remember how you felt. Remember how, even though you didn’t know who he was, you knew, at that moment you met the person you would spend the rest of your life with.” The professor watched as Ginny continued to stare into Harry’s eyes. Her body slumped, and her mouth opened slightly.

“Harry, remember telling me how you felt when you saw Ginny running down the stairs in her parents’ house. Remember the look on her face when she saw you sitting at the breakfast table. Remember how you felt when you first saw what you thought was her lifeless body lying on the Chamber floor.” Professor Albright paused strategically to allow Harry’s images resurface in his mind.

“Ginny, remember the feeling of excitement when Harry arrived at the inn. Remember how you felt when he came out of the maze during the Triwizard Tournament.” Professor Albright let Ginny replay the moment and feelings of that frightening day.

“Harry, remember how you and Ginny battled the Death Eaters together at the Ministry, like heroes from a great, literary epic.” Then Professor Albright clinched the moment making them recall the first of many wonderful moments together. “ Both of you, recall when you first kissed each other. Now look into each others eyes and recall all that you have been through together.”

Harry and Ginny gazed into each other’s eyes. Their faces held the same soft heartfelt expression.

“Now, Harry, ask Ginny to marry you.”

Harry remained still for a moment. He swallowed hard. Then, while still looking into Ginny’s eyes, he began to speak. “ Ginny, I love you … and I couldn’t imagine anyone else being by my side for the rest of my life. Would you be my wife?”

Ginny smiled. She too began to choke up, but managed to give Harry an answer, “Yes, I’ll be your wife.”

“Yeah?” Harry whispered.

Ginny nodded and smiled. They stared at each other for a moment.

Professor Albright broke the silence. “Now, Harry put the ring on Ginny’s finger.”

Harry looked back at Professor Albright sadly, “What ring? The box is empty,” Harry replied.

“Harry, take the box out of your pocket and open it.”

“Professor,” Harry whined, rebelling against Professor Albright’s instructions.

“Harry, you act as if you’ve never pulled a stone out of your pocket before,” Professor Albright teased, smiling at Harry.

Harry’s mouth dropped open at the professor’s comment. He slowly slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled out the box. With his eyes tightly shut, he opened the box. Once he felt the box was fully opened, he peaked with one eye. To his surprise, there was a beautiful diamond ring. The stone was in the shape of a teardrop. Harry’s heart leaped into his throat. He looked up at Professor Albright in amazement.

Professor Albright smiled back. “See, Harry? Love is magic; all you have to do is believe.”

Harry looked back down at the ring then he looked at Ginny. She was looking at him eagerly. Harry slowly took the ring out of the box. His hands began to shake as he took Ginny’s left hand in his and with his other hand holding the ring, gingerly slipped it onto Ginny’s left ring finger. The ring fit perfectly. Harry and Ginny continued to look into each other’s eyes.

“It looks as beautiful as it did when Harry’s father slipped it onto his mother’s finger, over twenty years ago,” Professor Albright recalled.

Both Harry and Ginny looked up at Professor Albright in shock. Ginny suddenly felt an urge to cry.

“I …I can’t…I can’t accept this,” Ginny stuttered, shaking her head.

“Now you listen to me, Ginny girl. You’ve made Harry a part of your family for many years. I think it’s about time he made you a part of his. You are worthy to wear this ring. No other is fit to wear it. It stays right where it is!” Professor Albright declared. Then, looking back at Harry, she said, “Well, what are you waiting for? Aren’t you going to kiss your bride-to-be?”

Harry smiled and started to lean into Ginny to kiss her, but then pulled back. He quickly glanced up at Professor Albright with an embarrassed look on his face.

“Ok, ok, I get the hint. I know when I’m not wanted,” Professor Albright joked, as she proceeded to leave the tower.

Harry turned back to Ginny. “Uh …wait here,” he told her then ran after the professor. “Professor,” Harry began, but the rest of the words would not come out.

Professor Albright knew what Harry wanted to say. She knew how thankful he was. “AWML,” Professor Albright replied, then turned and continued to walk away.
Chapter 9 The Weapon by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
There are many ways to fight evil. The greatest and most clever way to fight it may not necessarily require a fancy weapon or newfound spell. Perhaps, the only way to fight evil is to rely on the one proven method known by witches and wizards for millenniums. It is simply the old magic. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy as you get a close up view of Professor Albright’s pride and joy, better known as --The Weapon.

Thank you to Thegirllikeme and her beta mentor Lindsay for helping get this chapter right.


It was Sunday, May 31, 1998. Preparations were being made as a location was chosen for the war to begin. A large field far off from Hogwarts, where the grass grew very tall, was the selected site. Professor Albright’s army strategically placed their barracks on top of a large mountain. This mountain led to yet another rocky mountain that appeared to be cave-like in shape. The peak would overlook the path where Voldemort and his Death Eaters would march to meet their opponents. As the late afternoon settled into evening, more soldiers from Professor Albright’s army gathered. Family and friends of the soldiers gathered as well, to offer their moral support and assist behind allied lines.

The Weasleys and Harry arrived and set up camp e on the open field of the crag. Others arrived as well. Seamus Finnigan and his family set up camp just a few meters. Neville Longbottom came with his grandmother and Lavender Browne. Dean Thomas’ family made camp further out toward the edge of the mountain. Kingsley Shacklebolt and a group of Aurors set up camp close to the edge, where the first part of the mountain dropped off and lead down to a second smaller mountain.

In the distance, Harry could hear a hum coming toward the base of the smaller mountain. Evening was growing ever closer as the orange sun settled down into the valley. The sky looked painted with pinks, oranges, yellows, and pastel purples. The air had a strange calm to it. Every so often, a slight breeze would rustle the tall grass.

As Harry looked over past the smaller mountain, he could see what appeared to be a black, shiny, and progressive swarm. Voldemort and his Death Eaters were approaching the battlegrounds. The way they marched forward in the black, hooded uniforms gave them an appearance of a great, shiny carpet being rolled out into a large, grassy field. They flowed like a great vat of black, watery evil, being poured out onto the grass.

Harry’s heart began to beat erratically. This is it. I’m going to die this night. He had always wondered what his death would be like. He wondered about the day and the circumstances. Now all the answers were being revealed. He looked at the other Weasleys. He looked at Ron. Ron returned a look just as fearful as Harry’s. Ron looked over to Hermione. Hermione walked over to him and put her arms around his neck. She buried her head under his chin. Ron wrapped his arms around her and held her as tight as he could, hoping to resist the desire to collapse that was caused by the overwhelming sense of fear. Harry experienced a flood of thoughts tormenting his mind.

It was only a year or so ago that I was ready. I was certain that I was going to win. I wasn’t scared then. Why now? What’s happening to me? Harry knew he had to put these defeatist’s thoughts out of his mind if he was going to have any chance. I’m not scared to die. I will not die “ not this night. One voice in his head was tormenting him with thoughts of loss and weakness. Why am I feeling like this? The other voice was waging war against the first. I’m not afraid. I’m not afraid. Let him try to kill me. Just let him try. I’ll kill him! If tonight is the night I die, please don’t let me suffer. Make it quick. Don’t let me see it coming. People I know are going to die tonight. Why have this war? Why couldn’t it have just been him and me? Please don’t let anything happen to Ron and Hermione. Please don’t let anything happen to Ginny. I’ll die if anything happens to her. I’ll … I’ll… It was this moment that Harry understood that old expression, reserved for the bravest of soldiers; ‘There are no atheists in foxholes.’

Harry saw Bill and Fleur. Fleur was eight months pregnant. Their faces looked worn. He could see Bill was trying to console Fleur. He could not hear the exact words he was saying, but the body language was clear. He was wiping tears off of his wife’s cheeks.

Harry looked back over to the mountain. The swarm of evil was continuing to move steadily forward. Suddenly, it dawned on him. The size of Voldemort’s army was enormous. Harry quickly ran a count through his mind of all the people fighting on the allies’ side. There could not have been more than seventy or eighty men. Most of them were boys either Harry’s age or a few years older. By estimation, Voldemort’s army looked to be about three to five hundred soldiers in number. Some were Death Eaters, while the rest were Dementors, mountain trolls, and Inferi.

Inferi! Harry thought. How can you win a war, when the enemy you’re trying to kill is already dead? This thought alone shed no doubt that this night would be his last.

Harry suddenly felt the need to find Ginny. It did not take him long to find her. She, along with Hermione, was helping Mrs. Weasley cope with everything that was going on. Harry jogged over to where Ginny, Mrs. Weasley and Hermione were standing. Ginny let go of Mrs. Weasley and threw her arms around Harry. Harry wrapped his arms around Ginny’s body and nuzzled his face under her chin and red hair. The scent of Ginny’s hair reminded him of vanilla ice cream. It offered a moment of comfort.

As all of this was going on, Professor Albright and Professor McGonagall were walking through the crowds of families and soldiers. Harry looked up and noticed Professor Albright. Professor Albright started to walk over to Harry and Ginny. Ginny did not notice Professor Albright approaching. Her back was turned in the other direction.

“Harry,” Ginny whispered, looking into his eyes. “I need to tell you something.”

Harry felt sick to his stomach. The last time Ginny had said these words to him, she had broken up with him on Christmas Day.

“I don’t think I can wait a whole year to be with you,” Ginny confessed. She did not have to explain what she meant by that. Harry knew what she meant when she said, ‘be with you.’ “I’ll make a deal with you. I’ll be with you sooner than that on one condition,” Ginny continued. Needless to say, she had Harry’s undivided attention.

“And what might that be?” Harry asked, managing to grin a pirate’s smile despite his unyielding sensation of terror.

“Kill Voldemort,” Ginny replied.

“Okay,” Harry replied. He leaned into her lips and kissed her.

Professor Albright, now standing very closely behind Ginny, heard the conversation and thought one thing, Mission accomplished! Professor Albright walked over to them and casually interrupted their moment.

“Excuse me, children,” Professor Albright said. “There is something very important I need to discuss with you.”

Harry and Ginny broke from their embrace and listened to the professor.

“Remember when I told you that the love you share is the weapon that will defeat him?”

Harry and Ginny both nodded as they continued to concentrate on the professor.

“Well, the time has come for you to see what I meant when I said that.” The professor smiled.

“So, how’s our love going to work?” Harry asked nervously.

“Love is a very strange power. There are many different kinds of love, but the love that you two share is very rare, indeed,” the professor explained. “Unconditional love; the kind of love where two people are willing to risk everything for one another. It is the most profound, most precious, and most powerful love ever to exist. It is this love that can take down the most evil of witches and wizards,” the professor informed.

“So, how exactly does this love work? I mean, how can Ginny and I use it to our advantage against him?” Harry inquired anxiously.

“In order for a person to defeat an evil enemy with love, three things must be true. First, the love you have for another must be unconditional. Second, the person you love must have the same feelings of unconditional love as you. And third, the time when you call upon the incantation must be a time when your life is in great peril. Instead of taking action to defend yourself, you lay down your weapon and say the incantation. By doing this, you prove that your love is based on trust. For love is trust. One cannot exist without the other.”

“Okay. What you’re telling me is, I have to lay down my wand and say the incantation with the chance that I might die?” Harry shuttered.

“Yes, Harry. Love is trust. If you do not have complete faith in the love that you two share, then there is no point in the two of you being together,” Professor Albright replied.

“Wait a minute. I don’t think it’s necessary for me risk my life just to find out that Ginny’s and my love isn’t real,” Harry argued.

“Harry, it’s not you that needs to see that Ginny’s and your love is real. He needs to see it. And when he does, he will lash out in vain.” The professor smiled.

“Yes, and that’s when he’ll kill me!” Harry exclaimed.

“No, Harry. The funny thing about someone losing his temper is that his actions always seem to bounce back and bite him.” Professor Albright chuckled.

“Professor, I’m sorry, but you’ve lost me,” Harry said nervously.

“Don’t worry, Harry. All you need to know is the incantation and when to say it,” Professor Albright reassured.

“Alright, then. What is this incantation?” Harry’s voice began to quiver.

“The incantation is, ‘Semper Fi, Mi Amor’. Can you repeat that?” the professor asked.

Semper Fi, Mi Amor,” Harry repeated.

“Very good! Now, just remember. You can only call upon this charm when you are in great peril. You must lay down your wand and say the incantation with all of your heart,” Professor Albright instructed.

“Right. Sure. Anything you say.” Harry snickered in disbelief.

“Well, children, I must be on my way,” Professor Albright announced. With that, she continued to walk to the cave-like, rocky mountain.

The mountain was a rich, red-clay color. It stood four stories high. Harry watched Professor Albright. Once Harry was certain that the professor was far enough away from them, he turned toward Ginny.

“Do you believe this? I mean, I knew she was a bit eccentric, but this is too much!”

“Harry, I’m afraid she may be right. The Dark Lord is very powerful. Even with so little of his soul left, he can still kill you,” Ginny replied.

Harry turned away for a moment. He noticed that suddenly the other soldiers began to walk toward the first drop on the mountain. Mr. Weasley stood at the center of the Weasley camp. With the sound of his voice, he rallied the other Weasleys, Hermione, Fleur, Luna and Angelina into a huddle.

“Ginny,” Harry began with an inflection of sadness, “we have to go.” He looked into her eyes sorrowfully.

“Harry, do as Professor Albright told you. This may be our only hope. Please, Harry. I love you. I would risk everything just to spend every moment with you,” Ginny pleaded.

“Ginny, I…” Harry tried to speak, but Ginny stopped him.

“Harry, please. Don’t you feel the same way about me?”

Harry paused for a moment. He looked into her eyes and suddenly felt a magical feeling of confidence. He could not explain it, but he knew, at that moment, that he and Ginny shared a rare and beautiful love.

“Yes, I feel the same way about you.” He smiled.

“Then that’s all that matters. Believe in me, Harry. Believe in us. Have faith in us.”

Harry pulled Ginny closer to him. He smiled at her then gently touched his lips to hers. “I do believe in us, Ginny.”

Ginny looked into his eyes. “Maybe Professor Albright was right about love. It is magic.”

“All you have to do is believe,” Harry finished the sentence. He looked over to where the Weasleys were huddled. “Come on. We better go over there.”

Harry and Ginny walked hand-in-hand back to the huddled Weasley clan. Mr. Weasley waited for them to join the rest of the group, then he began his speech.

“Tonight is the night that we, as family and members of a great and unique community, come together to stand up for what we believe in -- fairness, equality, and tolerance of differences. How you conduct yourself on the battlefield will determine the outcome of this war between good and evil,” Mr. Weasley declared.

“Now, Molly, Ginny, and the rest of the ladies, I would like to talk to the boys alone,” Mr. Weasley announced, in a solemn tone.

Mrs. Weasley began to whimper, as she kissed and hugged each of her sons for what she feared would be the last time. She kissed and hugged Harry. Harry’s stomach turned inside out as Mrs. Weasley’s tears dropped on the back of Harry’s neck. He wished he could just faint in her grasp, but he knew he’d never live down such a cowardly act. She released her hold and joined Fleur, Ginny, Hermione and the other girls.

Now, it was just Mr. Weasley, his six sons and Harry. Mr. Weasley could no longer look them in the eye. He was trying hard to emotionally detach himself from the fact that these were his son’s he was sending into battle, and he might not see some of them return.

“Bill, let me see your wand,” Mr. Weasley uttered, holding out his hand.

Bill handed him his wand. Mr. Weasley presented Bill with a long, thin, leather case from his jacket. Bill took the box as his brothers and Harry looked on. Bill opened the case and inside was a beautiful, cherry-wood wand.

“This was my fathers,” Mr. Weasley revealed. “He passed it down to me, and now I’m passing it down to you.”

At that moment, everyone turned toward the large cave of the mountain. It was making a sound as if the front of it was being split down the middle. The center of it was beginning to separate, as if the front was turning into two doors that slid open from both sides. As the center continued to separate, large flames as high as the opening to the mountain, protruded out. Harry searched for Professor Albright. He found her standing in close proximity to the cave. He jogged over to her.

“Professor, what is that?” Harry asked, as terror flowed through his veins.

“You will see soon,” Professor Albright replied.

As the cave continued to tear open from its center, more flames flew out. By the time the cave was completely opened, it was obvious as to what was shooting the flames. They were six, large, identical dragons, almost two stories high each. Each one was close to twenty meters in length. Their particular breed was unidentifiable, but it was obvious they were dragons. They were bright green in color with cream-colored, scales underneath. Their eyes looked like large, oval buttons with no pupil or appearance of real dragon eyes. This gave them the appearance that they were robotic. All six were harnessed. They were pulling the platform that carried the giant wand, which now had the giant punch bowl attached to its base. Inside the bowl was a fluorescent, green, viscous liquid.

As Harry continued to watch in awe, he could see who was controlling the reigns. It was Hagrid. The reigns of each dragon were attached to a large gear with a lever for turning. In addition to the individual connections, was a devise that allowed the driver to control the dragons simultaneously. As Harry observed Hagrid behind this devise, he could appreciate the strength and power of the six dragons. Hagrid’s face was red and sweaty. He appeared as though he was having difficulty maintaining control over such power.

Harry had a thought pop into his head. How was Hagrid even able to get the reigns on these dragons? Dragons were neither tame nor trainable.

“Professor, how were you able to get the dragons to pull the platform?” Harry asked.

“A very good question,” Professor Albright replied, as she prepared her explanation. “Dragons hatched from eggs are wild and incapable of being trained.”

“Yeah, I know that. So what’s up with these?” Harry asked.

“These were hatched from Petri dishes. Well, they started in the dishes and moved up from there,” Professor Albright replied, enjoying the reaction she was getting from Harry.

“Petri dishes!” Harry exclaimed. “You mean …those things…” Harry could not think of the right words; Professor Albright was eager to oblige him.

“Genetically engineered? Yessss,” Professor Albright replied with glee.

“Well, how can that be? I thought there was a ban on experimental breeding.” Harry was quick to point that out.

“Yes, that’s true. That’s why it’s always nice to have friends in high places. Remember the trio that helped me with the weapon? Remember Amos Diggory, Head of the Ministry for Care of Magical Creatures?”

“Oh, my God!” Harry whispered under his breath in horror. Then another thought came to mind. “Well, that still doesn’t explain how you were able to train them to pull a platform in unison. How did you train them to work as a team?” Harry asked.

“Well, as I said before, Harry, these were hatched from a Petri dish, after we altered their DNA a little,” Professor Albright answered.

“I’m probably going to regret asking this, but how did you manage that?” Harry asked nervously.

“We altered the DNA that controls the brains ability to be receptive to commands,” Professor Albright answered, as if she was discussing the ingredients used to bake a cake.

“How did you alter it?” Harry asked.

“We took DNA from an animal commonly known to be obedient,” Professor Albright informed.

“Yes, and what animal was that?” Harry questioned, his nerves tingling with fear.

“A dog known as the Border Collie. It is hard working, smart, and, most importantly, extremely receptive to commands. It also instinctively knows how to work in a team,” Professor Albright described.

Harry did not know what else to ask. He just turned back toward the weapon. As it continued to roll out of the cave, Harry noticed the size of the wheels of the platform. Their diameter was the height of a doorway, and their width made it clear that they were prepared to roll on any terrain. The width of the wheels guaranteed that, no matter how soft the ground was underneath them, the platform would not sink.

The size of the wheels, combined with the pulling capability of the six, genetically engineered dragons, made it also clear that this weapon was designed to be unstoppable.

Hagrid halted the dragons and commanded them to stay. He proceeded to climb off the platform. All this time, the women of the Weasley camp had watched on as well. Fleur walked over to Bill.

“Wow, Beel! You taut your wand wass beeg!” Fleur giggled.

Bill shot her a dirty look. The rest of the members of the group enjoyed the comedy relief. They did not think it was possible to top what Fleur had said, but somehow Luna managed.

“Fleur, that’s not a wand.” Luna attempted to correct Fleur’s observation. “That’s one of those sky rocket launchers that the palace uses to announce the Queen’s birthday every year.” Everyone in earshot of Luna’s explanation was trying hard to muffle their laughter.

Nighttime arrived. The darkness covered the landscape. Kingsley Shacklebolt and his crew knew this was their cue to turn on the floodlights, so the soldiers could see the enemy approaching.

Mr. Weasley turned back to his six sons. “Where’s Harry?” Mr. Weasley asked.

“He’s over there,” Ron replied, pointing to where Harry and Professor Albright were standing.

“Harry, come here,” Mr. Weasley called out.

Harry turned toward the sound of Mr. Weasley’s voice. He felt another pang of anxiety in his chest.

“ Professor, I have to go.” Harry gulped. He wanted to hug her, but was afraid he’d never let go.

“Yes, Harry. You have a job to do and so do I,” Professor Albright replied then she walked away toward the weapon.

Harry walked toward Mr.Weasley and his sons. As the Weasley boys were waiting for Harry to join them, Percy turned to Ron and said, in reference to Luna, “You know, she’s not half bad, once you get past the gullibility.”

Ron just looked back at Percy with a screwed up expression on his face. Harry finally rejoined the others.

“Now, boys,” Mr. Weasley began, “I’m already proud of all of you. There’s no need for you to die as heroes on my account.” How else was he going to tell his sons and Harry to run for their lives, if they were in danger?

Kingsley Shacklebolt walked to the center of the top of the mountain. Using his wand to project his voice, he announced to the soldiers and families that the time had arrived for all soldiers to report to the trenches on the lower level.

Mr. Weasley hugged each of his sons and Harry then watched them turn and walk away. They walked together, side by side, into the bright, white floodlights. Mr. Weasley turned around and walked to where Mrs. Weasley and the girls were standing. Mrs. Weasley’s cheeks were streaked with tears, as she watched her sons walk away. She was sandwiched between Fleur on her left and Ginny on her right. Hermione stood on the other side of Fleur. Trying to practice her skills as a Healer, Hermione felt obligated to stand by Fleur, in order to support her in her delicate condition.

Luna stood on the other side of Ginny. Standing straight, with her hands folded in front of her, Luna looked out into the distance. Her face held an expression of hopeful repose.

Mr. Weasley approached Mrs. Weasley. She looked into his eyes.

“Arthur,” she sobbed.

“Now, Molly, there’s nothing more we can do. We just have to wait and try to be strong.” This was the only advice Mr. Weasley could offer. He barely believed his own words.

In the distance, one could hear the horrific cries from mothers and fathers as they helplessly watched their sons march off into a place from where they might never return. As Ginny watched her brothers and Harry continue to walk into the bright, white lights, she fixed her sights on Harry. Then, as the heads of the boys started to drop from sight, making their way down to the lower level, Ginny broke free from her mother’s hold.

“HARRY!” Ginny yelled, as she ran toward the edge of the mountain.

“GINNY!” Mrs. Weasley cried.

“GINNY!” Mr. Weasley and Hermione cried in unison.

“HARRY!” Ginny cried out again.

Harry heard Ginny’s voice and turned to see.

“Don’t look back,” Fred advised. “It will only make things worse.”

Kingsley saw Ginny running and tried to intercept her before she could reach the edge of the mountain.

“NO! Let me go!” Ginny cried.

Kingsley held onto her tightly, but Ginny broke free from his grip. Mr. Weasley tried to run and catch Ginny to bring her back, but it was too late.

“That’s okay, Kingsley. Unfortunately, my daughter has inherited her father’s stubbornness,” said Mr. Weasley, patting Kingsley on the back as he watched his only daughter run after the boy she loved.

Hermione could wait and watch no longer. She, too, had someone special down on the lower mountain, and she was not about to let him face this danger alone. She glanced over to Fleur. Fleur looked at Hermione as if both of them could read each other’s’ thoughts. Fleur smiled at Hermione and nodded with acknowledgement. Hermione slowly loosened her grip around Fleur’s waist.

“Good luck,” Fleur whispered to Hermione.

Hermione smiled back then dashed off from the group.

“HERMIONE!” Mrs. Weasley yelled, but it was too late.

Hermione was well beyond the point of no return. Kingsley saw Hermione running, but decided not to try to stop her. Hermione’s reputation for not letting anyone or anything stand in her way preceded her. Eventually, both girls made it to the trench where Harry, Ron, and the rest of the Weasley brothers were waiting.

“Ginny,” Harry whispered angrily, “what are you doing here?”

“I couldn’t stay up there. This is our battle, not just yours,” Ginny replied with strength and confidence that Harry had never witnessed before.

Harry knew, as he gazed into Ginny’s eyes, that there was no point in trying to change her mind. Maybe Professor Albright was right. Ginny has her own battle to fight. Harry knew then where his place was. Ron looked at Hermione and smiled. He knew better than to even ask a single question.

Kingsley took the center one more time. He held his wand to his throat again. “Everyone, take cover in your camps! Soldiers, prepare for battle!”

With that, Professor Albright mounted the back of the giant wand. Hagrid took his place behind the reigns. Sirius and Remus stood on either side of the platform and next to what appeared to be triangles made of six wands. They were in the shape of pyramids. As Sirius and Remus touched their wands to the tops of the pyramids, they caused an extremely intense light to be generated. This light passed through convex lenses, and the beams were sent into the punch bowl. Inside the bowl, the mysterious green, viscous liquid began to churn.

“Saddle up! Lock and load Mr. Black, Mr. Lupin!” Professor Albright yelled.

“Yes, ma’am!” Sirius and Remus yelled back.

“On my command, gentlemen,” Professor Albright directed.

Professor Albright gave Sirius and Remus a count of three. On three, Sirius and Remus increased the intensity of the light beam. The liquid continued to churn violently. Pressure began to build up in the bowl. The entire platform began to shake and shudder. The dragons started throwing flames from their mouths at will.

“Steady the team, Mr. Hagrid!” Professor Albright yelled.

“Right,” Hagrid strained, sweat dripping profusely from his brow.

The pressure reached its peak in the bowl. Professor Albright instinctively knew this was it.

“FIRE IN THE HOLE!” Professor Albright bellowed.

With this, the thick liquid was forced out from the bowl, into the giant wand, and exited the baton like it was being shot from a cannon. It streaked across the sky like an enormous, sparkling, green comet. Harry and the other Weasleys watched from their trench.

The green comet landed on the evil swarm, now dangerously close to the base of the lower level. When it hit, it made such an extraordinary explosion that it felt as if it were an earthquake. Its energy released and caused the soldiers in the swarm to fall like shiny dominoes. The Doppler Effect caused an invisible wave of hot air to roll up the side of the lower level. Harry was barely able to see what was going on below. All that was visible was a gigantic, green mushroom, towering into the sky. The bright, glow of green light remained as the backdrop for the remaining battle.

Now Harry understood the purpose of the weapon. It was not to kill Voldemort. It was to even up the sides. A damage report for the enemy’s side indicated an eighty- percent loss of enemy soldiers. Now the battle was more evenly matched. Harry acquired a new found respect for the weapon and for Professor Albright.

The boys stayed inside the trench for a few minutes longer, then they heard the sounds of people scurrying up the side of the mountain.

“This is it!” Bill blurted and he quickly jumped up, brandishing his wand.

Harry’s heart felt as if it would give out. The other Weasleys followed suit, jumping out from the trench and spreading out to battle the remaining Death Eaters, mountain trolls, Dementors, and Inferi. As Hermione ran with the others, she sensed a moment of isolation from the rest of the group. The trees of the dark forest seemed to make everyone appear more separated and dangerously vulnerable. Harry, on the other hand, could only think of one thing. He knew where his place was now. He ran off to find Voldemort and Ginny.

From atop the mountain, one saw a backdrop of fluorescent green from the mushroom and white fog from the floodlights. In the distance, forest green figures battled each other, shooting off flashes of white, red, and green curses.

As Bill jogged through the tall grass stumbling on broken twigs, he could hear what he thought was a faint howl in the near distance. He stopped momentarily to look around and catch his breath, which was being systematically attacked by the cool, damp night air. There was no sign of anyone: human, animal, or otherwise.

STUPEFY,” Fenrir Greyback growled from a camouflage of bushes. The curse whizzed past Bill’s head.

Now the enemy was in sight. Bill quickly dodged behind some trees. Fenrir lunged forward through the tall foliage. He stood for a moment in what seemed to be an open space surrounded by bushes and trees. Bill acted quickly, not wanting to lose what might be his only opportunity for a clear shot at the werewolf.

OFFENDO!” Bill yelled, and the curse launched from his wand. His arm suffered scratches due to the razor sharp branches of the bushes. He let out a yelp as he pulled his arm back and saw the spotted blood where the branches had sliced through his sleeve and cut open his skin.

Fenrir lay on the ground, as the curse struck him multiple times all over his body. He jumped back up onto his feet seconds after the curse’s punches subsided.

“Come on, Weasley, you can do better than that. Show yourself if you’re not yellow!” Fenrir taunted.

Bill remained still, as he peaked through the bushes that were acting as a buffer between him and the angry werewolf. Bill decided he needed a different angle, so he began to step around some other foliage. Fenrir could hear Bill’s movement. He could hear the crackling of dry branches under Bill’s feet. His acute sense of smell, due to his affliction, allowed him to pick up Bill’s scent.

“Show yourself, you blood-traitor coward! Look me in the eye. See what you will soon become. My fate is your destiny!” Fenrir boasted as he slowly turned round and round, trying to figure out where Bill’s scent seemed the strongest.

Bill finally found a spot that offered him a clear shot of Fenrir, but Fenrir’s animal instincts and quick reflexes enabled him to shoot a curse first. It brazed Bill’s right arm, causing him to drop his wand in the tall, thick grass. Bill scurried around with his left hand to try to find the wand. The darkness of the forest intensified the challenge of his search. Miraculously, his hand stumbled across it just as Fenrir was closing in on his location.

Bill grasped his wand and, in one smooth motion, shot a curse known for its destructive effects on a werewolf.

Tu Caedo Cum Argentumum!” Bill bellowed.

The curse struck Fenrir directly in the chest, just as the werewolf was about to pounce on Bill. The curse’s effects were immediate. It caused Fenrir’s skin to boil. Fenrir’s howls and cries echoed through the dark forest. The remains of what was left of Fenrir Greyback lay in a puddle of liquefied flesh.

The battle raged on with both sides suffering casualties. In another part of the forest, Seamus Finnigan was trying to feel his way through the tall, dark brush. He heard a sound as if someone was following him. His heart began to pound hard in his chest. His breathing became rapid, but before he could turn around to defend himself from the thing trailing him, Amycus shot the Avada Kedavra Curse.

Fred and George were quick on Amycus’ tail and attacked him with Exploding Weasies, an invention they made solely for this occasion. Amycus fled deep into the dark forest with severe injuries over his entire body. Fred and George went over to Seamus’ body. They knew he had been hit with the Killing Curse, but they felt obligated to bring his body back to his parents. Fred took hold of Seamus’ arms while George got hold of Seamus’ legs.

Harry and Ron found themselves down below in another part of the lower level of the forest. Harry looked around, but Ginny was nowhere in sight. However, he could sense that Voldemort was near. His scar began to hurt unmercifully. As the two continued to walk, they saw a chubby man leaning up against a tree. As they continued their guarded approach, they realized the man was none other than Peter Pettigrew.

Peter saw Harry and Ron and immediately struggled to get to his feet. The Dark Lord had mortally wounded him when he refused to act as a decoy to lure Harry into a trap. He owed Harry a favor after Harry had spared his life. He had tried to turn back into a rat just before the Dark Lord shot a curse, but he did not move quickly enough to get out of the way.

“Harry, my dear, dear boy. Oh, I’m so happy to see you,” Peter gushed.

“What happened to you?” Harry asked suspiciously. Ron looked around nervously in case they were being set up for an ambush.

“My dear boy, look what the Dark Lord has done to me,” Peter whined, showing Harry and Ron the mortal wound he received in his stomach. “I did this for you, Harry. I did not forget how merciful you were to me so many years ago,” Peter grieved. “Harry, be careful. The Dark Lord is near.”

Peter’s words proved true as the Dark Lord came into view.

“Run, Harry!” Peter whispered urgently.

“SILENCE, TRAITOR!” The Dark Lord roared. “AVADA KEDAVRA!” he yelled as he shot the deadly curse at Peter. Peter lay dead, slumped over against the tree.

“So, Potter, at last we meet for the final duel. And who do you think will win?” the Dark Lord mocked.

“Surely, you don’t think it will be you!” Harry growled.

“Of course I do, boy. Do you really believe you and your pathetic excuse for a friend can defeat me?”

“No, I don’t think it! I know it! You’re forgetting, Riddle, my soul is still in tact!” Harry boasted bravely, using the name that Voldemort despised.

“HOW DARE YOU!” Voldemort hissed, as he lifted his wand and shouted, “AVADA KEDAVRA!”

Harry dodged the curse in time. Ron jumped behind some rocks and bushes. Harry threw a Petrificus Totalus curse at Voldemort, but he jumped out of the way. Unbeknownst to Ron, Alecto was also lurking in the bushes. She threw the Killing Curse at Ron, but Percy, coming out of nowhere, pushed Ron out of the way, and absorbed the curse with his own body.

“Percy! Ron!” Charlie yelled, appearing from another part of the ever growing darkness. Charlie lashed out with his wand and yelled out toward the Death Eater, “FERIO! ”

Alecto was instantly hurled against a large tree. The force of the blow, from hitting the tree resulted in crushing her upper body. She died on impact. Voldemort became distracted by all of this. Harry knew this would be his only chance to kill Voldemort. He raised his wand, but before he could shoot a curse, Voldemort shot a curse of red light in Harry’s direction. The curse brushed Harry’s side and caused him to be hurled up into the air. Harry landed hard on the ground. His side was burning relentlessly. The back of his head was aching. He rolled out of the way in time to miss another one of Voldemort’s curses.

“Boy, be smart. Give up, and I will show you some mercy before this Dementor sucks the life out of you.” Voldemort laughed, standing only a few feet away. On his left a Dementor was hovering next to him, waiting for Voldemort to give the command to suck Harry’s soul out. Severus Snape stood by Voldemort’s right, as if symbolically showing the Wizarding World where he stood in Voldemort’s eyes compared to the rest of the Death Eaters.

“ NEVER!” Harry yelled.

“Kill him!” Voldemort growled to the Dementor.

Immediately, the Dementor flew in Harry’s direction. Harry jumped to his feet, his side still burning.

EXPECTO PATRONUM!” He yelled with all his might. Immediately, the great, protective stag burst from his wand, kicking furiously at the Dementor. The evil, foul--smelling being froze.

“Well, well, impressive!” Voldemort mocked nervously. Voldemort was truly surprised by Harry’s abilities. It is true, Voldemort thought to himself. I am weak, but I will never give Potter the satisfaction.

Ron tried to assist Harry. He came out from the bushes and tried to rush the evil wizard. Charlie attempted to reach Percy’s lifeless body.

“RON! NO!” Harry yelled.

Voldemort saw Ron lunging for him from his periphery vision. He immediately shot the Avada Kedavra curse at Ron. Ron’s Keeper skills proved handy again. He was able to dodge the curse as it came within inches of his body. He rolled into another group of bushes. He rolled back out, brushed himself off and ran over to Harry’s side.

“So, Potter. What do you say we end this like two gentlemen? Just you and me,” the Dark Lord proffered.

“That sounds fine with me,” Harry snarled.

“Very well, then. Take your position,” Voldemort directed.

“Harry, are you mad? He’s going to kill you!” Ron exclaimed.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ron,” Harry whispered sarcastically.

“Well, what are you waiting for? You’re only prolonging your execution, talking to that blood-traitor!” Voldemort grumbled impatiently.

Harry glared at the Dark Lord for a moment, then turned back to Ron. “Look. If this plan I have doesn’t work…will you tell Ginny that I loved her up to the very end?”

“Yeah, sure, Harry,” Ron gulped. He turned around and walked to the side where Charlie was standing.

Both the Dark Lord and Harry raised their wands to one another and bowed, as was custom prior to a wizards’ duel. The Dark Lord immediately snapped around and took his position. Harry nervously did the same. This is it, he thought to himself. Either our love is unconditional, or it’s not.

The Dark Lord was the first to fire his deadly curse.

AVADA KEDAVRA!” the Dark Lord shouted.

At that very moment, Harry made the most critical decision of his life. Instead of firing a counter curse, he dropped his wand to the ground and quickly yelled with all his might, “SEMPER FI, MI AMOR

Immediately following the incantation, a great dome of warm, yellow light covered Harry like a giant umbrella. Its force field was impossible to penetrate. Voldemort knew right away what formed it, but it was already too late. The green light shot out of his wand toward the dome, and it was abruptly deflected by the dome’s protective shield. The curse bounced off the dome and hit Voldemort in the chest. The effect was instant. Voldemort lay dead. Ron looked over at his dead body then glanced back at Harry who was still covered by the protective, loving dome.

In a moment of panic, Severus Snape ran off into the darkness of the forest. From a distance Harry and Ron could hear Ginny and Hermione running to help them. They had been separated from Ron and Harry during the initial charge into the woods.

“Harry, you did it!” Ron declared, jubilantly.

Harry smiled back at Ron. Charlie and Ron ran over to Harry. Hermione and Ginny ran over to them as well. They celebrated momentarily before looking back at Percy.

Charlie walked over to Percy’s body and knelt down next to it. He picked up Percy’s hand and placed it gently on his stomach. He crawled further up to where he could reach Percy’s head. He put his hand under it and lifted it to look at Percy’s face. Charlie looked at his brother for a moment then looked over to Ron. Ron could read his expression. He felt a twinge of guilt for being jealous of Percy. Charlie continued to hold his stare at Ron. Ron looked away. The moment Ginny saw Percy lying on the ground she felt a terrible twinge in her stomach. All Hermione could do was stare in disbelief. She put her arm around Ginny, but she pushed it away defiantly.

“Is he…he’s not…he can’t be!” The sight was too much for Ginny to bear.

Harry watched Ginny. He thought of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and what their reaction was going to be, once they found out about the tragic loss of one of their sons. He felt sadness come over him. It overshadowed the need to celebrate his victory over Voldemort.

“Come on, Ron, Harry. Help me carry him back to camp,” Charlie ordered.

Harry walked over and picked up Voldemort’s wand as evidence of Voldemort’s demise. Harry felt triumphant in doing so, but the feeling was short-lived. It only lasted until the moment he turned around to join Charlie and Ron.

“What happened?” Hermione finally spoke.

“A Death Eater got Percy. That one over there, by the tree,” Charlie replied, pointing his finger in the direction of the tree where Alecto’s body lay. “You two get his arms. Ron, grab his leg,” Charlie directed, barking orders at the others.

Hermione and Harry each grabbed one of Percy’s arms and began to lift his body off the ground. Charlie and Ron carried him by his legs. Ginny followed slowly behind. Her stomach felt as if it was turning inside out. As Harry helped carry Percy’s body, he could not help but feel the cold dread in the pit of his gut. He did not want to face Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. He thought of what Professor Albright had warned her. He wondered if Mrs. Weasley ever took the old professor’s advice. The four continued to carry Percy’s body back up the mountain. Ginny walked a little ahead as tears began to fall from her eyes.
Chapter 10 The Professor's Dearest Secret by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
The war is over. Harry is victorious, but his celebration has been drastically cut short due to the Percy’s demise-- until Professor Albright returns to the Weasley camp. It is at this moment that we learn about a mother’s love”and her sacrifice. Telekinetics have a very dear gift. Unfortunately, they are given only one chance to share it. We also find out that the biggest secret that the professor has been keeping from Harry wasn’t The Weapon after all. It was something far more precious. There is some toying around with canon that might seem questionable, but it helps with the twist.

It is here where I have incorporated the laws of Mendelian genetics, information from the Harry Potter Lexicon on Squibs, and an article on wizarding genetics by Shinelikestars, from Sugarquill.net. More on this twist will be explained in detail in the next and final chapter. Be patient. There is a plausible explanation. Thank you to my beta readers, Thegirllikeme, and RonxHermione, for all of their hard work and dedication to this project.


The battle finally ended. Both sides were busy gathering and tending to their casualties. Many of those who had fought on the allied side were beginning to ascend back up the mountain. Family and friends of the courageous warriors started running to the edge of the upper mountain to meet the heroes. Some of the brave fighters were left with the terrible job of delivering those comrades that died in battle to their families. They had to endure the reactions of the family members.

The sound of cries of joy and pain equally filled the air. Harry looked around and witnessed the sights of grief and relief from the various families. Some groups of people were recognizable. Harry’s heart sank when he saw some soldiers carrying the lifeless body of Mad-Eye Moody. Harry looked over to his right and, again, the shock of what he saw made his own body shudder. Fred and George Weasley had the grizzly job of carrying back the dead body of Seamus Finnigan to his mother. Seamus’ mother grieved over his body. Her cries chilled Harry’s blood.

How? How and why? he thought.

This was nothing like his daydreams. In his daydreams, Harry pictured himself easily defeating Voldemort then being lifted by his dorm mates onto their shoulders and paraded around a cheering crowd of Hogwarts students, faculty, and parents. But reality dictated that this would not be the case. All around him Harry saw death, bloodshed, grief, and senseless destruction. The cries and sights of lost loved ones, friends, and mentors flooded Harry’s ears and eyes. All of these experiences over-circuited his senses. He could think of only one word to describe all of this:HORRIBLE!

Harry looked ahead and saw Mr. and Mrs.Weasley and the others running toward him. Angelina was leading the group.

Suddenly, Harry heard Mrs. Weasley scream. Her screams triggered the sensation of cold daggers piercing Harry’s body. Mrs. Weasley saw Ginny, Charlie, and Ron emerge from the white light and fog. She could see that Charlie and Ron were carrying a body, but could not tell which of the other Weasley children they were carrying. As they continued to march forward, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley could see Harry and Hermione carrying the other end of the boy. Then Mrs. Weasley looked to her left and saw Bill, Fred, and George running toward the group. Now she knew which one of her children she had lost. The four continued to carry Percy to the camp. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley followed along with Bill, Fred, George, Ginny, Luna, Angelina and Fleur.

They finally arrived at the camp and carefully laid Percy’s body down on the ground. Mrs. Weasley immediately dropped to the ground where Percy’s head was. She placed his head in her lap and began to caress his forehead. She sobbed. She kept repeating the same words over again: “My baby. My baby.”

Mr. Weasley dropped to one knee where Percy’s legs were. He rested his head on his arm, leaning on the knee that was upright. He gently ran his other hand back and forth along Percy’s leg, as if trying to comfort his spirit, keeping it free from fear.


Charlie watched his parents as they grieved over their son. He wanted to comfort them. He could think of only one thing to say. “Dad, he died honorably.”

“I know you mean well, Charlie, but that’s not much comfort to me right now,” replied an embittered Mr. Weasley, his spirit undoubtedly broken.

Luna walked over to Percy’s body, knelt down next to Mrs. Weasley and placed her hand on Mrs. Weasley’s shoulder. Ron held Hermione. He tried as hard as he could, but he could not hold back what he was feeling, and he began to cry. Hermione held him tightly. Harry and Ginny held onto one another. Ginny wept on Harry’s shoulder. Harry felt the urge to cry too, and, before he could hold back, tears welled up from his eyes and fell on Ginny’s shoulder.

Fleur held Bill around his waist. Bill had his arm around her. He kissed the top of her head lovingly. Angelina had her arms around both Fred and George. They, too, looked on, as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley continued to mourn their dead son. Charlie stood next to Mr. Weasley.

In the distance, Professor Albright, Sirius, Remus and Hagrid were walking over to the Weasley camp. When they arrived they saw the Weasleys’ horror. Mrs. Weasley looked up at Professor Albright. Her eyes were glistening with tears. Hagrid looked down to hide the fact that he was becoming emotional over the sight. Sirius walked over to Harry and Ginny and held them both. Remus hung his head, as if in shame.

“How long has he been like this?” Professor Albright asked Molly.

Molly shook her head to communicate that she did not know.

“About a half hour or so,” Charlie answered.

“Very well,” Professor Albright muttered, walking over to the other side of Percy. She used her cane to guide herself down to the ground. Once she was sitting next to his body, she took his right hand in hers.

Hermione watched what the old professor was doing. She knew what Professor Albright was preparing to do. Hermione pulled away from a tear-streaked Ron.

“Ron, look,” said Hermione.

Ron turned to where everyone was standing. He tried to avoid looking at Percy.

“What’s happening?” Ron whimpered.

“Professor Albright is going to perform the Re-Vitalinque Charm,” Hermione replied.

“What’s that?” Ron asked.

“It’s a charm that only telekinetics can perform. They transfer some of their energy into a dead person’s body. If they perform it within one hour from when the victim died, the charm jolts the person back to life.”

“She’s going to bring Percy back to life?” Ron cracked, excitedly.

“Yeah, I guess she’s going to try, but I don’t know how she’s going to manage it without risking her own life. Re-Vitalinque is a very exhausting charm to perform, even for the healthiest telekinetic. The after effects can be quite debilitating. Most of the time it’s the telekinetic that dies,” Hermione explained.

“Wait. I thought all her powers were taken away,” Ron was quick to point out.

“Not this charm. It’s part of being a telekinetic. She was born with it, like her other powers.”

“But once you’ve been hit with the Avada Kedavra Curse, you’re dead. No one ever survives that curse…well…except for Harry,” Ron debated. “Even Professor Dumbledore said no spell can reawaken the dead.”

“It’s not just a spell, Ron. What a telekinetic does is transfer an enormous amount of their life force into the victim. It’s not just magic. It’s real physics. Doctors in the Muggle world do it all the time with special medical devices,” Hermione explained.

“So, if that’s true, then why did Professor Dumbledore tell us that, once a person gets hit with the Killing Curse, they die and there is no chance for them?” Ron asked in an argumentative tone.

“Because he didn’t want us to take life for granted. He didn’t want to give us the idea that either of us could afford to be the least bit careless. The reason why most people die from the Killing Curse is, because usually there is never a telekinetic around. Like I said before, they are extremely rare, and once they perform the Re-Vitalinque charm, they wind up sacrificing their own life. Once the Killing Curse is inflicted, it’s rare that it doesn’t kill someone,” Hermione explained.

Harry saw Professor Albright. He walked over to her and knelt down between her and Percy. “Professor, what are you going to do?” Harry asked.

Ginny walked over to the other side of Percy and knelt near him and her father. She took Percy’s left hand in her right.

“Harry, I’m going to perform a spell that will bring Percy back,” Professor Albright explained.

“Bring him back… but how? Professor, are you sure you’re strong enough for this?” Harry asked, concern in his voice.

“Harry, it makes no difference if I’m strong enough to handle it. It’s more important that we save Percy. Besides, my work here is done. I’m ready to go on and see my family,” said Professor Albright.

Harry’s eyes widened. He knew what she was preparing to do. “No, Professor, I can’t let you do this,” Harry protested.

“Harry, whether you think I should do this or not is immaterial. It must be done. I’ve lived my life, Harry. I’ve done what was expected of me. Now I’m ready to go,” Professor Albright declared in her defense.

Harry realized it was no use. He looked over at Percy. Professor Albright began the Re-Vitalinque Incantation. She mumbled the words to herself. Harry watched her as she started to jerk. Her body convulsed as the energy transferred from her body to Percy’s. Harry’s heart skipped a beat with every jolt. The convulsing stopped. Professor Albright closed her eyes and collapsed on the ground. Hermione ran over to her.

“PROFESSOR!” Harry yelled, taking her right hand in his left.

Hermione lifted Professor Albright’s upper body and checked her neck for a pulse. “She’s alive, but she’s very weak.”

Professor Albright opened her eyes and looked at Harry.

“Harry, don’t be sad. You knew I wouldn’t be around forever. Besides, I won’t really be gone. If you ever need me, you need not look far to find me,” she said, trying to console a grieving Harry.

The excitement of defeating Voldemort and then the torture of dealing with Percy’s death was more than Harry could take. Watching Professor Albright sacrifice her life, put him over the edge. He tried with all his might to hold back his grief. Watching another mentor die caused unyielding pain to swell up in his chest.

“Harry, I know about your victory. I know, right now, your father and grandfather and great-grandfather are looking down on you with proud eyes. Your mother’s and grandmother’s cheeks are streaked with tears of joy. I, too, will soon look down on you. I will be with them. I’m so proud of you, Harry. You were the one reason I had left to keep going, when everything else was gone. Now find the strength to smile that beautiful smile for me, one last time. Let me look into your eyes -- the eyes your mother gave you--the eyes my gentle daughter gave your mother.”

Harry looked confused for a moment. The eyes my gentle daughter gave your mother? he thought to himself. How could that be?

He looked around at everyone. They, too, held expressions of confusion on their faces, all except, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius and Remus. Harry looked back at Professor Albright who was rapidly fading. Her eyes closed, and her body fell limp.

“Professor? PROFESSOR!” Harry yelled.

“It’s no use, Harry,” Ginny whispered, reaching her left hand out to Harry.

Harry looked up and took her hand. The moment was silent. Just the sound of Harry’s faint whimpering could be heard. Suddenly, Ginny felt Percy squeeze her right hand. She responded with a gasp.

“Mum!” Ginny yelped, her eyes beaming with hope.

Mrs. Weasley looked up at Ginny.

“Look, Mum!” Ginny squealed, gesturing to hers and Percy’s hands.

Molly’s mouth dropped open. She looked down at Percy. She continued to caress his head. “Percy? Percy, open your eyes,” Mrs. Weasley whimpered, with desperation in her voice.

The rest of the Weasleys looked on hopefully. Sirius, Remus, Luna, Angelina, and Fleur shared the feelings of hope and anticipation with the rest of the Weasley family. Percy’s hand squeezed Ginny’s hand again. Hermione gasped with joy then became overwhelmed with emotion. She covered her mouth with her hand and closed her eyes. A teardrop fell and landed on Professor Albright’s shoulder.

Then all heard the most wonderful sound.

“Mum,” Percy whispered, opening his eyes and looking up at Molly.

Molly looked down into Percy’s eyes and then leaned over to kiss his cheek. She could not speak. She, too, was overcome with joy.

Mr. Weasley was overwhelmed with emotion as well. He put his head back down on his arm and wept quietly. He squeezed Percy’s leg with his other hand.

Mrs. Weasley looked up at Harry. “Bless her soul,” she whispered.

“Harry, come here,” said Ginny.

“I can’t,” Harry’s voice cracked.

“Harry, close your eyes and let go,” Ginny commanded, referring to him still clutching onto Professor Albright’s hand.

Harry looked up at Ginny then he looked at hers and Percy’s hands. Ginny looked at both her hands too. She held Harry’s in her left and Percy’s in her right, just like it was in her dream. She looked back up at Harry.

“Harry, let go,” Ginny repeated.

“I will, if you will.” Harry sniffed.

Ginny released Percy’s hand. Harry slowly pulled his hand away from Professor Albright. They both stood up while still holding the other’s hand. Releasing their hold only momentarily, they turned and walked away from Percy and the others. While standing a few feet away from everyone else, Ginny put her arms around Harry’s neck. He wrapped his arms around her body.

Harry looked up and caught a glimpse of Sirius and Remus. The professor’s last words came back into Harry’s head. Harry broke away from Ginny and ran over to Sirius and Remus. They knew immediately what he was going to ask them, but were unprepared to deal with his fury.

“What did the professor mean when she said, ‘the eyes my gentle daughter gave your mother’?” Harry asked them accusingly.

Ginny could do nothing but watch from the side. It frightened her to see this side of Harry.

“Harry,” Sirius began, “Remus and I wanted to tell you, but Rose begged us not to.”

“Begged you not to! So, what I heard was what I thought she implied! She’s my great-grandmother! How could you keep something like that from me!” Harry raged.

“Harry, please, this is not the time. I will explain everything to you, but not now. Look around you!” Sirius replied urgently, trying to remind Harry where he was.

“I don’t care! I was with my great-grandmother all this time and I didn’t know! No one told me who she really was! I never got a chance to tell her I loved her! I never told her I loved her!” Harry’s throat began to close tightly. His soul seethed with unyielding fury. He started to run back toward the edge of the mountain.

“Harry, where are you going?” Ginny yelled out, running after him.

“I’m gonna kill them! As many Death Eaters I can find!” Harry yelled back.

Hermione and Ron began to chase after Harry and Ginny. Fred and George joined them.

“NO! Come back!” Mrs. Weasley cried.

“Don’t worry. We’ll go after them and bring them back,” Sirius said reassuringly.

Bill and Charlie stayed behind to help their parents tend to Percy, as Sirius and Remus ran up to Kingsley, Proudfoot, Savage, and Tonks.

“What’s the matter?” Kingsley asked.

“Harry, Hermione, and some of the Weasley children ran off to fight whatever Death Eaters they can find,” Sirius replied.

All six of them ran off into the forest to try to bring Harry, Hermione and the Weasley children back to camp. The pitch black of the night made it impossible to see much beyond a foot ahead.

Harry and the others stopped for a moment to gather together and catch their breath. Harry realized that the darkness would not only be a challenge to their mission, but a serious threat to their safety. Nonetheless, he was determined to avenge the deaths of Seamus Finnigan, Mad-Eye Moody and his great-grandmother. A new kind of anger rumbled in his chest and he felt invincible.

“Everyone, we’re going to have to split up if we want to find them faster. I know Snape and Malfoy must be around here somewhere,” Harry told the others.

It was agreed that they would split up into pairs to look for whatever Death Eaters remained. Harry and Ginny took the path to the right. Hermione and Ron took the one to the left, and Fred and George continued straight ahead.

As Harry and Ginny cautiously made their way through the cold, dark forest, they stumbled across what sounded like voices arguing. They carefully continued to move forward, ducking into the thick of the bushes and trees around them, in an effort to avoid being seen. As they approached closer to where the voices were coming from, they could see the unmistakable silhouettes of Severus Snape and Bellatrix Lestrange. Standing next to them was the shadowy, tall physique of Kurt Geistmacher. He was the enormous, blond Death Eater that was present on the night of Professor Dumbledore’s murder. To Harry’s and Ginny’s surprise, they witnessed Bellatrix pull out her wand and attempt to kill Snape, but the brutal-faced, blond Death Eater deflected the attack and Snape killed Bellatrix. Ginny gasped involuntarily and her sound caught the attention of both Geistmacher and Snape.

“Well, well, well, look who we have here, Potter and his blood traitor girlfriend,” Draco Malfoy snarled, as he came up from behind Harry and Ginny, with Goyle by his side.

Harry tried to reach for his wand, but Draco gave him a quick push forward. Harry stumbled on some twigs and Ginny let out a fearful gasp. Goyle grabbed her by the arms and escorted her to where Professor Snape and Geistmacher were standing.

“Let’s go, Potter, and no funny stuff, unless you want your sweetheart here to be tortured to death,” Draco warned. “Now, hands where I can see them!”

Not wanting to give Draco any reason to hurt Ginny, Harry put his hands up over his head.

Once Draco and Goyle brought Harry and Ginny back to Professor Snape and Geistmacher, they confiscated their wands. Draco pushed Harry forward, causing Harry to lose his footing on the twigs and tree roots, protruding from the floor of the forest. Harry fell face forward at the feet of Professor Snape.

Harry got up on all fours and looked up into the beady eyes of his old Potions Professor. Professor Snape looked down at Harry with a pleasing smirk on his face.

“So, Potter, once again, playing hero, I see. Look, everyone, Potter still hasn’t learned how to curb that nasty temper of his! How many weeks of detention should I give him for his lack of self-control?” Professor Snape mocked. Draco, Goyle and Geistmacher laughed at Snape’s joke.

Draco was taking great pleasure in seeing his nemesis on his knees. “What do you think we should do with this one, Professor?” Draco menacingly teased, referring to Ginny, whose arms were being held tightly behind her back by Goyle’s painful grasp.

“Leave her alone!” Harry ordered, in a ferocious tone of voice.

“Potter, I don’t believe you are in any position to be giving orders,” Professor Snape reprimanded.

Harry’s heart was beating furiously. He feared the worst for Ginny, and he was finding it difficult to think clearly. He sat up on his knees, still looking defenselessly into the faces of Professor Snape and Geistmacher. He could think of only one thing to do.

“Look. Do whatever you want to me, but let her go,” Harry appealed. He tried to hold back any fear in his voice.

“How noble of you, Potter. Sacrificing yourself to save your beloved Ginny. How touching,” Professor Snape mocked. “So, what do you think everyone? Should we let Miss Weasley go?” he jokingly polled the group.

While all of this was going on, Ron and Hermione heard the voices and started to carefully work their way toward the sound. As they walked, Hermione tripped over what seemed to be a log. Upon closer investigation, they found, to their horror, that it was the body of Victor Crabbe. Hermione gasped and place her hand over her mouth, closing her eyes tightly as if to shut out the horrific sight. Ron went over to her and helped her on her feet. He held her in his arms lovingly as she cried.

“Hermione, it’s okay. We need to find Harry and Ginny. I wish I knew where Fred and George ran off to.” Ron continued to hug Hermione until he sensed that she had regained her composure. “Are you okay now?” Ron asked, pulling away to look into Hermione’s eyes.

“Yes, I’m fine. Let’s go.”

Ron and Hermione continued along the path toward the voices. They ducked down into some bushes the moment they were close enough to see the faces of Draco, Professor Snape, Goyle, Ginny, Harry, and Geistmacher dimly lit by a half- crescent moon.

“So, Harry, are you really prepared to die for a blood traitor?” Professor Snape questioned.

“Don’t call her that!” Harry yelled. His agitation was growing exponentially.

Geistmacher kicked Harry in the stomach, and Harry keeled over in agony.

“There, Potter! That will teach you some manners. You should know better not to raise your voice to a professor, or didn’t Professor Bumble bee teach you that?” Professor Snape mocked.

Harry continued to roll on the ground from the intense pain that Geistmacher’s foot left in his stomach. Harry gasped for air, but the pain would not allow him to take the deep breath he desperately needed.

“Leave him alone!” Ginny cried angrily.

Draco grabbed Ginny by the hair and pulled at it to force her head back against Goyle’s chest.

“Who said you could talk, Weasley?” Draco growled, looking down into Ginny’s face.

Harry finally found his breath and yelled back to Draco, “Leave her alone! On’t touch her! This is between you and me. She has nothing to do with this. I killed Lord Voldemort. Remember? Kill me if that’s how you want it, but let her go,” Harry demanded.

“Well, if that’s your wish,” Professor Snape resigned. “Goyle, let the blood traitor go.”

Goyle released his grip on Ginny and she instantly ran to Harry, who was still kneeling on the ground and holding his stomach.

“Harry, are you okay?” Ginny sobbed.

“Ginny, go! Get out of here as fast as you can!” Harry replied with urgency in his voice. “Please, go get help. I’ll be fine,” Harry whispered reassuringly.

Ginny quickly got up and began to run.

“NOW!” Professor Snape yelled to Geistmacher.

On Snape’s command, Geistmacher raised his wand and sent the Cruciatus Curse flying in Ginny’s direction. It hit the thin girl, leaving her to lash around on the ground and to cry from the intense pain.

“No! Don’t! Leave her alone!” Harry cried, struggling to get to his feet.

Professor Snape stomped his foot on Harry’s back and Harry fell face down on the ground. Geistmacher continued to shoot Cruciatus Curses at Ginny, while walking toward her. Ginny continued her uncontrollable thrashing as she cried and begged for Geistmacher to stop.

Ron and Hermione could no longer remain silent and revealed themselves by hurling curses at Geistmacher. Geistmacher managed to dodge the curses and, out of anger, sent a Throwing Curse at Ginny. Ginny’s body lifted high into the air before crashing down on some jagged rocks. The force of the blow caused Ginny to suffer serious internal injuries. She lay on the ground barely conscious. Harry had all that he could take; his anger caused him to release a burst of telekinetic energy that lifted Goyle off the ground and sent him flying through the air. He landed on his head, breaking his neck. He died instantly. Professor Snape and Draco grabbed Harry by his arms to restrain him.

Seeing Ginny lying on the ground, Ron felt a terrible pain in his chest and shot a Blasting Curse at Geistmacher. The enormous Death Eater’s body was lifted into the air. When he came back down, his head hit hard on the same jagged rocks where Ginny lay. Death soon came to the brutal-faced Death Eater. Professor Snape and Draco looked on in horror. At that moment, Fred and George crept up on the distracted Professor Snape and Draco, causing them to release the grip they had on Harry. Harry managed to find the strength to run over to Ginny. He picked her up and cradled her limp, beaten body in his arms. He wiped the blood that had spilled onto her lips and chin off of her mouth.

Not a moment later, Sirius, Remus, Kingsley, Tonks, Proudfoot and Savage, surrounded Professor Snape and Draco. The evil duo knew they were clearly outnumbered, but before they could put up a fight, Kingsley and Tonks used the Incarcerous Spell to bind both of them. Kingsley, Tonks, Proudfoot and Savage placed the two in handcuffs. They escorted them back to camp. Meanwhile, Fred, George, Ron and Hermione ran over to where Harry and Ginny were. Ginny was barely moving and blood continued to seep out of her nose and mouth, faster than Harry could wipe it away. Sirius and Remus ran over to where the Trio, Fred, and George were surrounding Ginny.

Harry began to panic. Ron could do nothing but stare. A sense of cruel surrealism disallowed him from accepting the horrific truth. Hermione tried to think of a charm that would stop the bleeding, but she failed to remember one. She remembered Professor Flitwick’s lectures about charms that could stop death in its tracks, but for some reason she could not remember a specific one. This was not another case of her being caught in a Devil’s Snare. The sight of her friend lying helpless on the ground and dying made it difficult for her to think. Harry spoke to Ginny, hoping that the sound of his voice would help her regain consciousness.

“Ginny! Ginny, please, look at me. It’s me, Harry. Please, open your eyes. Look at me,” he repeated as his emotions began to tailspin out of control. His voice began fading in and out. He felt as if something was closing off his air as he caressed Ginny’s head.

Sirius and Remus froze, caught up in the horror of looking down into the eyes of an innocent child. They watched helplessly, as Harry continued to beg Ginny to respond to his pleas.

“Ginny, please don’t leave me. I love you so much. Don’t do this. Please don’t leave me.” His strength wavered, causing him to lean over her and put his forehead up against hers. Harry surrendered to the immense pain in his heart by allowing his tears to fall freely from his eyes.

Harry reached for Ginny’s cool, clammy hand. He lifted it to his lips, kissed it, then lovingly caressed it.

“Ginny, squeeze my hand. Please, Ginny, if you can hear me, squeeze my hand,” pleaded a grieving Harry. He kissed her hand again. “Don’t leave me. Hang on for me, Ginny, please…” His strength gave out.

Ginny took her last breath in Harry’s withered arms. Harry succumbed to the heartache caused by the fact that his worst fear came to be. Harry’s last hope for happiness was dead. Hugging Ginny’s lifeless body tightly, Harry wept.

Hermione reached over to Harry and hugged him. Ron collapsed from grief as he grabbed hold of Hermione for support. Sirius and Remus did all they could to comfort the grieving trio. In an instant, the haunting words of Professor Albright ran through Harry’s mind: He can take your soul mate and your soul, your livelihood and your dreams. It would not be long before Harry realized the gravity of his great- grandmother’s words. Ginny would not be the only thing Harry would lose…



Chapter 11Letters and Sermons by DeanaZ
Author's Notes:
Get ready for a lesson in genetics. Harry learns how it was possible for his Muggleborn mother to be a witch, he receives some disappointing news, and he learns the most valuable lesson of all. In spite of what tragedy life brings you, life still goes on. Family is most important when pain and sorrow haunt your very existence. For family is love, and we all know by now what love is. It is magic. All we have to do is believe…

I took some information from articles I found on the Harry Potter Lexicon and an article written for Sugarquill.net. This is the information I used to support my theory on how a Squib and telekinetic is born, and how a witch or wizard could have Muggle parents. I want to thank again, my beta readers: Pheonixflame, Harry_Kissed_Ginny, Thegirllikeme and RonxHermione for all of their outstanding love, support and diligent work on this project. They are the reason all of you had the opportunity to read my story.


In the days that followed, Hogwarts prepared to hold a mass funeral for those that had lost their lives in the Great War. Professor McGonagall granted permission to end the school term a week early. The funeral was set for Wednesday morning.

Harry woke up early Wednesday morning. He chose to spend the night at Hogwarts, in spite of Mrs. Weasley’s invitation to join the rest of the Weasley clan at the Burrow. He feared that he would feel out of place. The other Weasleys must harbor some resentment against me, after everything that has happened, he thought. He crept down to the common room. It seemed that it was only yesterday when he and Ginny shared many wonderful times together. He sat on the couch and stared into the fire that was crackling in the fireplace.

Sirius woke up early as well. He had spent the night in Gryffindor staff quarters. He entered the common room to find a tearful Harry sitting on the couch, hugging a small pillow.

“Harry,” Sirius whispered calmly.

Harry looked up from the pillow and moved his eyes to Sirius. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.” He coughed, his eyes filled with tears.

“You didn’t wake me. I’m just a light sleeper,” Sirius reassured.

“I couldn’t sleep. I can’t believe she’s gone,” Harry murmured, his voice quivering.

Sirius sat down on the couch next to Harry, and gently rubbed Harry’s back. He waited to see if Harry was going to say anything else.

“I miss her, Sirius,” Harry whispered, struggling to hold back his tears. “I miss her so much.”

Sirius did not say anything; he continued to sit quietly, returning a sympathetic look.

“Dumbledore said something once, while we were traveling through his Pensieve. He said something about how Voldemort didn’t understand that there were much more terrible things than physical injury. I didn’t say anything, because, at the time, I didn’t understand what Dumbledore meant either.”

“And now you do?” Sirius asked, encouraging Harry to keep talking.

Harry shut his eyes tightly and nodded. He punched the pillow out of frustration. He was ashamed to show his feelings so openly. He felt vulnerable, lonely and lost.

“What do you want to do now?” Sirius asked, encouraging Harry to express himself.

Harry did not answer right away, so Sirius repeated the question. “Harry, what do you want to do now?”

“I want to die. It hurts so much. I just want to die. It’s my fault. I should have never let her come with me. Everything happened just like I feared it would. She’s gone, and it’s all my fault,” Harry replied, as he continued to sob.

“Harry, listen to me. This was not your fault. Ginny is dead because evil people murdered her. You did everything you could to protect her. You have no reason to feel guilty,” Sirius assured, trying to keep the dialogue going.

“What does it matter now? She’s gone and she’s never coming back. I love her so much. I miss her so much. I’ve never felt pain like this in my entire life, even when I thought I had lost you or when Professor Dumbledore was murdered. I have never felt like this before. It’s never gonna go away.”

“Yes, it will, Harry. It’ll take time, but the pain will go away. You’ll be left with wonderful memories of her. It’ll be those memories that will give you the strength you need to go on,” Sirius assured, trying to offer Harry some hope.

“I don’t want to go on. I’m done with this. I’m done with all of this!” Harry replied angrily. His jaw began to hurt.

Realizing what Harry was implying, Sirius tilted his head to look into Harry’s eyes. With a wrinkled brow and calm but firm tone of voice, Sirius responded, “Do you have any idea how many people you’d hurt if you do what I think you’re talking about?” Sirius questioned. “Is that what you want, Harry? You want to hurt your friends and family? You want to hurt me, Harry? Is that what you want?” Sirius waited for Harry to respond, but all Harry could do was hide his face in his hands.

“I think of you as a son. Doesn’t that matter to you? Considering everything that’s happened, especially my being in Azkaban for so long, I know I will never be able to have a child of my own. You’re it, Harry. You’re the son I’ll never have. You want to hurt me?”

Harry looked up and shook his head.

Sirius continued, “How about Remus? You want to hurt him? What about Mr. and Mrs. Weasley? They think of you as their own. They’ve already lost one child. Are you going to put them through it again?” Sirius paused momentarily. He knew he was getting through to Harry, but he did not want to rest just yet. “How about the two people closest to you -- Ron and Hermione? Do you want the two people that have stood by you through thick and thin to think that your enemies beat you? Because that’s what you’d be doing. If you let yourself get this way, your enemies will have you beat!” Sirius preached.

Harry stared ahead. He looked into the fireplace momentarily then turned back to Sirius.

“What am I going to do? I can’t escape this. How can I face Mr. and Mrs. Weasley? They probably blame me for what happened to Ginny, ” Harry murmured, still feeling the lump in his throat.

“No, Harry. The Weasleys don’t hold you accountable for this,” Sirius assured. Realizing that this was the reason Harry turned down Mrs. Weasley’s invitation, he asked, “So, that’s why you chose to stay here, instead of going with the others to the Burrow?”

Harry nodded.

“I can’t take this. This is a pain like nothing I’ve ever felt. I’m not gonna make it, Sirius,” Harry murmured.

“Harry, you’re not alone. Take the strength and comfort that your friends and family want so much to give you,” Sirius replied softly. He placed his hand gently on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry thought for a moment. He swallowed, and the pain from swallowing caused a tear to fall from his eye. He quickly tried to recover it before Sirius noticed, but his efforts were in vain. His thoughts moved to Professor Albright.

Sirius pulled his hand back and folded his hands, allowing them to rest in front of him. He continued to watch Harry, knowing that Harry had more on his mind than the loss of Ginny.

“Sirius, how long did you know that Professor Albright was my great-grandmother?” Harry asked, glaring somewhat accusingly at Sirius.

“Since I knew your mother,” Sirius replied with a tone of guilt in his voice.

“And all this time you never once thought of telling me?” Harry asked, his eyes narrowing as he looked into Sirius’ face.

“Harry, your great-grandmother asked all of us to keep it a secret from you because she felt, if you knew, you would not regard her as a mentor. You would love her only out of desperation, because of your need for a blood relative other than your aunt and cousin.”

“That’s …that’s rubbish!” Harry grumbled, gritting his teeth.

“Is it? Would you have regarded her with the same respect and awe? Would you have been as receptive to her mentoring?”

“Of course,” Harry stammered, knowing that his answer did not reflect the complete truth.

“Harry, she kept it a secret from you, because she felt that if you had known, she would have developed a relationship with you that would have been emotionally charged. She feared that she would not be able to keep her wits about her enough to properly prepare you for what you had to do.”

“So, she did this so that I could do what I was destined, according to the prophecy?” Harry inquired angrily. “Do you know if it was her plan to ever tell me, and not just before she was going to die? Do you think that maybe it occurred to her that I might want to know her as my great-grandmother, who cared about me, who loved me? I mean, she did love me, didn’t she?” Harry asked, looking directly into Sirius’ eyes and hoping to find the answer he so desperately needed.

“Yes, Harry.” Sirius smiled. “She loved you more than you could imagine. She always said you were her one last hope for happiness. To see you grow up strong and proud and defeat the Dark Lord was her greatest wish. She used to say to Remus and me that it pained her to see you come and go and know that all she could do was watch you the way a professor watched her pupil. She wanted so much to just hug you the way a grandparent would hug their grandchild. She did love you, Harry. Knowing that should give you some comfort.”

Harry turned away from Sirius. “It would have been nice to have heard her say it…just once.” Harry remained silent momentarily then asked, “How is it that my Mum was Muggleborn, if my great-grandmother was a witch?”

“Well, it’s rather complicated to explain,” Sirius began. “Rose tried to explain it to Remus and me like this.” He thought for a moment then resumed his lesson. “Your maternal great-grandmother was what Alchemists, who study genetics, call a heterozygous witch. In other words, she carried both the dominant, strong form of the magical gene, and the recessive, weak form of it. That’s what makes the magical gene so special. It exists in two forms,” Sirius explained.

Harry diligently concentrated on what Sirius was trying to explain. The lesson was alleviating some of the hurt he was feeling before. “Wait. I thought the magical gene is resilient,” he pointed out.

“Oh, it is, indeed, but there are other things that can make it appear like it is not. I’ll get to that in a moment. Let’s finish with your family first. Now, as I was saying, Rose was heterozygous. She had both forms of the magical gene. Your great-grandfather, on the other hand, was a homozygous Muggle. He had both forms of the Muggle gene. When they had your grandmother, Daisy, she was born with the weak form of the magical gene and a Muggle gene. In addition to that, she inherited the chemical that suppresses the weak form of the gene from her father. Rose found out all of this during her research. Your grandfather, Johnny Evans also had the same weak form of the gene and suppressing chemical. The suppressing chemical, or enzyme, I think was what Rose called it, is somewhat common amongst Muggle genes,” Sirius was quick to add.

Harry stared at his godfather in awe. He was amazed that Sirius was able to explain all of this. He continued to stare then a thought popped into his head. “Okay, I understand now how a witch can be Muggleborn, but what about Squibs?”

“Oh, that’s easy to explain actually, although it took your great-grandmother years to prove it. Squibs could have either the weak form of the gene and a Muggle gene or the strong form of the magical gene and a Muggle gene. What happens is, through some unexplained phenomenon, the magical gene experiences an unexpected change or mutation, causing the magical gene to become dysfunctional. The person is born a Squib. He or she can see and touch magical people and things, but they can’t perform any magic of their own. Did you know that your great-grandmother was a telekinetic?”

“Yes, Hermione found out and told Ron and me,” Harry replied.

“Well, Rose found out that telekinetics are a lot like Squibs except that, instead of losing their magical abilities, they gain additional abilities. The mutation works in their favor, not against it. She also found out that this mutation also gives one the appearance that they have emerald, green eyes,” Sirius concluded with a smile.

“Wow! That’s amazing,” Harry responded. “And my great-grandmother discovered all of this?”

“Yes, she did. Your great-grandmother was extraordinarily brilliant.” Sirius smiled.

“Wait,” Harry retorted, registering what Sirius had just said. “Emerald, green eyes and telekinetic powers are inherited together?”

“Yes,” Sirius replied, knowing what Harry was about to say next.

“Then, I’m a telekinetic, too?”

“Yes, Harry.”

“Well, that explains why I was able to do to Goyle what I did to him,” Harry responded bitterly. There was another moment of silence, then Harry had a nagging thought come into his head that left him feeling more pain in his heart. “If I’m a telekinetic, then that means I could have saved Ginny.”

“No, Harry,” Sirius replied firmly.

“Why not?” Harry asked anxiously.

“Because you’re not a Healer,” Sirius replied.

“But, I’m a telekinetic!”

“Harry, in order to perform the Re-Vitalinque Charm, one must be a Healer. The charm is a carefully guarded secret. Only Healers, who are telekinetics, are trained to use it,” Sirius explained.

Harry turned away from Sirius to reflect on what he had just been told. “I guess, you’re right. My great-grandmother was very special.”

“She was, indeed. I admired her greatly.”

Harry became quiet again. He thought about what Sirius had just told him. How he admired his great-grandmother. Harry had a hard time with this, because he was experiencing some resentment toward her. He felt, by her keeping it a secret that she was his great-grandmother, she cheated him out of some pleasure in his life. He chuckled insincerely to himself.

Recalling the time he found the locket, Harry spoke as he gazed directly into Sirius’ eyes, “You know what she said to me when I first found the locket, and tried to hide it from her?”

Sirius shook his head; a smile formed in the corner of his mouth.

“She said, ‘if I’m going to be your mentor, we have to trust one another. We can’t have any secrets’,” Harry replied, with a voice that mocked the old professor’s. “That was some secret she was keeping from me.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Over at the Burrow, Ginny’s death had taken its toll on two other men in her life.
Mr. Weasley woke up early to a barely lit sky. Ever since that fateful Sunday evening, he had not come to terms with Ginny’s death. He walked upstairs to her bedroom. He had not entered her room since the day she had left for Hogwarts that last term. It was difficult sending Ginny to Hogwarts every year. He missed her smiling face every morning, like the ones she’d greet him with during the summer breaks. He missed her running down stairs in her bathrobe and fluffy, bunny rabbit bed slippers. He missed seeing her face at the breakfast table.

He knew, though, that while she was at Hogwarts, he could still visit her. This situation, however, was different. Ginny did not just go back to school. She was murdered. She was dead and he would never see her in this world again. Mr. Weasley suffered the worst kind of broken heart. He suffered the loss of a child.

Slowly, he approached the door to her bedroom. He opened the door and for the first time in over six months, he walked into Ginny’s room. It was exactly how she had left it. Her bed still had the hand-made quilt that Mrs. Weasley had worked on so diligently. Her dresser draws were empty. Her closet was half full. Only a few trinkets, toys, and stuffed animals remained on top of her dresser, dressing table, and bed. On the walls were some posters of her favorite Quidditch team, musical band, and some other people Mr. Weasley did not recognize.

A closer look at her dressing table’s mirror revealed some pictures she had wedged between the frame and the mirror. One picture was of Harry, Hermione, and Ron. Another picture was of Ginny and Harry sitting atop a hill, overlooking the body of water at Hogwarts. Harry looked so happy, he thought. They were so happy, so young and so in love. How could this have been allowed to happen?

Everything Mr. Weasley ever believed in was no longer worth believing in. He sat down on Ginny’s bed. With every creek or crack he heard coming from the house, he could not help but think Ginny was going to walk into her room any moment. Then he quickly reminded himself that she was gone. Sixteen years had come and gone so quickly. He knew that he should be glad that he had those sixteen years. Ginny had been the first female child born in quite a few generations of Weasleys. Mr. Weasley was lucky enough to have had all those years with her. Still, he could not help feeling the painful void in his heart. He looked over at the pillows on her bed. Finding her favorite teddy bear, he picked it up and looked at it for a moment. Then the tears began to flow.

Mrs. Weasley heard the sounds coming from Ginny’s bedroom. She quietly walked in to see Mr. Weasley weeping. Mrs. Weasley felt a sudden lump develop in her throat. She quickly walked over to the bed, sat down next to Mr. Weasley, put her arms around him, and let him cry on her shoulder.

“Hold me,” he wept. “Don’t let go. I feel like I’m losing my mind. I feel like I’m going to lose my mind.” His shoulders shook as he grieved into Mrs. Weasley’s shoulder. Still, clinging to the teddy bear, Mr. Weasley allowed the rest of his body to go limp in his wife’s arms. Mrs. Weasley began to cry too.

Ron and Hermione were awake now. They were sitting at the top of the stairs, one floor up from Ginny’s bedroom.

“I keep thinking about what Professor Albright said -- I mean, Harry’s great-grandma said. You know, how children are like parts of their parents,” Ron whimpered.

Hermione said nothing. She put her arm around Ron to offer her support.

“I can’t help but think, now that Ginny’s gone, Mum and Dad will feel like a part of them is missing. This family will never be whole again.” Ron’s head dropped down on his arms, which were resting on his knees and sobbed.

“I can’t remember the last nice thing I said to her. All I can remember is yelling at her during Quidditch practice, and the time we all went to Professor Albright’s to talk about her problem, and I called her a prat,” Ron sniffed, choking on tears and gurgling his words.

Hermione’s eyes started to form tears, but she remained strong for Ron. She kept one arm around him, while using the other to hold his head. She kissed him lovingly on the forehead.

Later that morning, Mrs. Weasley did her best to prepare a breakfast for the Weasley clan. Bill, Fleur, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron and Hermione sat quietly together. They would leave later that morning for the funeral at Hogwarts.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back at Hogwarts, Harry returned to his dorm room. He knew the end of the term would be filled with bittersweet memories, but nothing had prepared him for this. To end one’s schooling with a funeral was the last thing anyone wanted. Harry began to pack. He figured it would help take his mind off of things while waiting to attend the mass funeral in the Great Hall.

As Harry attempted to use his magic to open his trunk, he noticed that he was struggling. Every spell that he tried to cast needed to be cast more than once to get the right result. It was as if he had been drained of all his powers. Harry began to panic. Oh great! What’s happening to me? I start my Auror apprenticeship next month! What do I do now? No, I’m just upset. I’m not concentrating. Just as Harry completed this last thought, Neville and Dean walked into the dorm room. They, too, needed to pack. Neville’s arm was still in a sling, from an injury he received battling one of the mountain trolls.

“Neville, we’ll help you pack in a moment,” Harry assured.

“Yeah, thanks,” Neville replied. “It’s going to feel awkward seeing Ron and his family. What do you say to him?”

Harry and Dean just looked at one another. Dean felt a twinge of guilt, remembering how jealous he had been that Harry had been dating Ginny. The room suddenly grew uncomfortably quiet as the boys continued to pack.

“It sure is going to be weird not coming back here next September,” Neville admitted, breaking the tension in the room.

Harry and Dean looked at Neville then at each other. All three glanced over at Seamus’ bed. It became quiet again.

The boys finished packing and helped Neville get ready to go. Dean and Neville exited the room, dragging their trunks behind them. Harry stayed behind for a few minutes. He turned to give the room one last look. He remembered all the wonderful times he, Ron, Neville, Seamus, and Dean had shared. He knew the time had come for him to leave. Just before he turned around, he noticed something strange sticking out from underneath one of the pillows, on his bed. It was an envelope. He wondered why he had not noticed it before.

Harry walked over to the bed and picked up the envelope. On it was written, ‘To My Dearest Harry’. He opened the envelope, pulled out the note and read it. It was from Professor Albright. His heart began to beat quickly. He could not believe that this letter was lying underneath the pillows all this time.

Dear Harry,

If you are reading this letter, it could only mean one thing. I did not survive the Great War. I hope this letter tells you all the things that I never got a chance to tell you while I was alive. Before I even get started, let me get the record straight. It was you that kept me alive and going through all those years after I lost everything. It was your beautiful smile, your undying spirit, and ability to love in spite of everything you had to endure in your youth that gave me the strength to keep going.

I fear my time is limited so I will tell you all that I have been keeping from you. I am your great-grandmother on your mother’s side of the family. Daisy, my daughter and Johnny Evans were your mother’s parents. They were Muggles who carried the magical gene. I wanted so much to tell you all of this, but I feared that if you had known, we would have developed a closeness that would not have allowed me to remain objective while mentoring you. Please know that I love you and, at times, it was challenging for me to keep my emotional distance from you. I would have loved nothing more than to have been able to hug you and kiss you lovingly on the cheek just before I sent you off to bed or when I greeted you every morning.

Next thing I would like to share with you is some of the wisest advice that I believe exists. I know your heart holds anger and a strong desire to get vengence on your enemies. Please, Harry, I beg you not to fall into the trap that so many others fall into. Revenge will only lead to violence. This could lead to others taking pity on your enemies and making them into martyrs. Your mentor and my dear friend, Albus Dumbledore once said, ‘There are much more terrible things than physical injury.’ He was correct in saying so. The loss of a loved one is one example of this, but the other is to live one’s life in complete humiliation. If you want to get even with your enemies, all you have to do is live well. This serves a dual purpose. First, it pleases the ones who love you and second, it angers the ones who do not. Health is a man’s greatest riches. I wish you an abundance of it.

Finally, I feel the need to share with you this most important concept. While I was studying to become a Healer, I thought that cancer was the worst sickness in the world. As I continued to learn more about the world, I realized it was not cancer, but ignorance that ailed it, and its only cure was a library. It was at the library where I received my daily vaccine of knowledge. I tell you this with the hope that you make regular visits there as well. Between the unconditional love that your mother and Ginny have given you and the daily doses of knowledge offered to you, you will have an impenetrable shield that will protect you against all evil.

Harry, I’m sorry our time together was so brief, but it was at this time that I was the happiest since that terrible night so many years ago. Remember, Harry, if you need me, you will not have to look farther than your own heart to find me. I love you so much, dear great-grandchild of mine.

With all my love, (W.A.M.L.)
Rose


Harry quickly folded up the letter, returned it to its envelope, and stuffed it in his back pocket, then he sat down on the bed. His head hung. As he thought, he stared at his shoes. The sinking feeling returned. He thought of how much he missed his great-grandmother. Then his thoughts turned to Ginny. He needed her now more than ever. He wished Ginny could be here to comfort him over the loss of his great-grandmother. He wondered if losing all the important women in his life was a mere coincidence or was it meant to be that he never knew the love of a woman for any length of time.

Eventually Harry stood up from the bed. He dragged his trunk out of the room and joined the others.

Everyone gathered in the Gryffindor common room. Mr. Filch and some elves began bringing the trunks down to where they would be picked up for delivery to the train station. Harry felt a terrible ache in his stomach as he looked around the common room. He realized that he might never see many of these people again. It did not help to know that the time for the funeral was drawing near. This year was going to end with a haunting familiarity to last year. The only difference that Harry could see was, this time, he was not going to pay his respects to a beloved professor and mentor, but to a great-grandmother and to a girl that would have literally laid her life down for him, if she had had to.

The time had come for everyone to gather in the Great Hall. Harry, Sirius, Remus and Tonks met up with the Weasleys. The Great Hall was filled with fold-up chairs for all the students, parents, and friends of those who had lost their lives during the Great War. Mourners also attended from the Ministry of Magic. Many members of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement attended as well, including Kingsley Shacklebolt, Savage, Dawlish, and Proudfoot.

Not all of the members of the Ministry were able to attend. Some were at the Wizengamot, attending the trial of Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy for Ginny’s murder. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley chose to attend their daughter’s funeral. Just knowing that justice was somewhere being served was enough for them. They did not feel it necessary to attend the trial of the two Death Eaters. Both Professor Snape and Draco were found guilty of murder later that afternoon and sentenced to life imprisonment.

The Weasleys and Harry sat close to the front, where those who had lost loved ones were directed to sit. Harry sat between Mrs. Weasley and Hermione. Ron sat on the other side of Hermione. Sirius, Remus, and Tonks sat with the Aurors in the next row.
Harry stared at the numerous caskets lined up in front where the professors normally sat. Pictures of the victims were placed on their designated caskets, which were draped by the flag of the house from which they hailed. Harry looked at the pictures of his great-grandmother and Ginny. He suddenly felt a wave of intense grief come over him. He felt as if he was going to burst into uncontrollable tears. Hermione sensed his anxiety and squeezed his hand reassuringly.

Just beyond the caskets was a podium from which Professor McGonagall stood. Her face held the expression of one drained by recent events. She was dressed in black. Her face looked drawn and withered. She cleared her voice in a gesture to get everyone’s attention as she prepared to read her sermon. Knowing that Draco and Severus’ trial would re-open many wounds of those present, Professor McGonagall geared her sermon to address the impending implications of Ginny’s death during the Great War. She feared that, with everything that had happened, it would not be a mountain troll, basilisk, Dementor, escaped murderer, or evil wizard that would close the doors of Hogwarts forever, but the unceasing feuds that might erupt amongst the four houses over the students that lost their lives. Professor McGonagall rose from her seat, approached the podium, and began her speech.

“Family and friends, we are gathered here today to pay our respects to these brave students and staff members of Hogwarts, who unselfishly gave their lives so that we, the living, may live in peace, free of the reign of intolerance that threatened our very existence. To talk so generally about each of the students and professors, who lie before us, would take hours, maybe even days, to justly express their contributions and attributes that made them so special.

“Some of you who sit here may find it objectionable that I pay proper homage to the likes of Victor Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, but as a headmistress of a school, it is not only my desire, it is my obligation to treat each and every student equally. Professor Albus Dumbledore would have done the same, if he were here today.

“In order to illustrate to all of you here, my concerns for the future of Hogwarts, while preserving time, I will focus on one student. I wish to address all of you at this time, because I fear that the war we fought three days ago, and the death of this student, in particular, might hinder any chances of healing for this staff and student body.

“Ginny Weasley’s death was terrible, not because she was young and had her whole life ahead of her, or because she was engaged to be married. Her death was terrible, because Ginny was beautiful. She was beautiful in spirit. She was vivacious and humorous. She understood what unconditional love was at a very young age. She had moxie, perseverance and determination. She was a loyal friend and a loving daughter and sister.

“The senseless death of such a beautiful, young person makes you ask why. Why Ginny? Why any of these students? Why take away someone who represents so much life and hope? I asked myself this question, but could not find an answer. I searched deep into my soul, but the only conclusion I could come to, offered no closure.

“She died along with the others because of what all of us failed to do. We failed to accept one another. We failed to learn how to tolerate each other’s differences, our creeds, our races and our blood status. Her death, as well as all the others, was senseless, because it could have easily been prevented if all of us had just pledged to learn to co-exist in peace.

“Unfortunately, as humans, it is our tendency to cut down those who stand out among the crowd, who seem to shine just a little brighter, or catch onto things just a little more quickly. We want so much to cut them down, because we feel that, some how, they may be a threat to us. But to cut them down makes as much sense as cutting down a field of wild flowers, simply because some fear that their petals may cast shadows on the blades of grass.

“Rose Malfoy Albright, one of my dear friends, fought in the Great War. She insisted on taking charge of the battle over the Death Eaters, because she did not want the houses of Hogwarts to be split forever. She felt that, because she was a Slytherin fighting another Slytherin, she would be setting an example of how there is good and evil in everything -- in every group, every house and every family name. And she did just that! She showed the Wizarding world how it was not your gifts or talents that determined your character, but how you chose to use them. It was not the events in your life that determined your destiny, but how you chose to deal with the events in your life that determined it.

“My friend, Rose, went on to say how studying history made no sense, because we seemed to manage to repeat it. We wage battles for reasons fueled by bigotry, hatred, jealousy, and intolerance, but we do not fight the battles ourselves. Instead, we send the one thing that would offer us eternal hope and maybe a little immortality. We send our children. And when I consider the loss that this student body has suffered, I see she was right.

“We don’t seem to do enough to protect our children from the mistakes of the past. And because of our failure to do so, beautiful young souls like Ginny Weasley, Seamus Finnigan, and even Cedric Diggory die senselessly.

“It is my greatest hope that this year marks the year at Hogwarts when the students of each of the four houses learn to embrace tolerance. It is my greatest hope that this dream shall never die. For if it does then I know my heart has died too…But I continue to believe because of what my friend, Rose, once said. She said, “Love is magic. All you have to do is believe.”

After Professor McGonagall’s speech, other students and faculty were invited to say a few words about the departed. Then came the moment Harry was dreading the most. It was time to bury the dead. The thought of burying Ginny was a thought that Harry could not bring himself to terms with.

The mourners were led out of the Great Hall by the precession of caskets. Each group of mourners was directed to walk behind the casket of the one they lost. To make things less confusing, Ginny and Professor Albright’s caskets were placed side by side. The Weasley and Potter party walked solemnly behind the two caskets.

The dead were prepared for burial, in a field on Hogwarts grounds, reserved for distinguished, departed members of the school. It was only fitting that these students and staff be given the same honors for their sacrifices. The precession of the caskets stopped at their designated final resting places. The mourners gathered in their groups, as Professor McGonagall presided over the service.

In the Weasley and Potter group, Hagrid stood behind Harry. In front, by Ginny and Professor Albright’s coffins, were Sirius, Harry, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Ron, and Hermione. The remaining Weasleys, Remus, Tonks, Neville Longbottom, Lavender Browne, Luna Lovegood, Fleur, and Angelina stood behind the front row. Ginny and Professor Albright would be buried next to one another at Harry’s and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s request.

On Ginny’s coffin was the flag with Gryffindor’s crest, and on Professor Albright’s coffin was draped the flag of Slytherin. The juxtaposition was striking.

Several Aurors attended the burial as well, including Kingsley, Proudfoot, Savage, and two other unknown Aurors. The two unfamiliar Aurors walked to either end of Ginny’s coffin and proceeded to fold the Gryffindor flag. They continued to fold it until it formed a tight triangle. One of the Aurors presented it to Mrs. Weasley. Then the two Aurors went over to Professor Albright’s coffin and did the same, presenting Harry with the folded flag of Slytherin.

Then came the most harrowing moment when Ginny’s and Professor Albright’s coffins were to be lowered into their respective graves. Just before this final step Mr. Weasley spoke up and asked that Ginny’s coffin be opened once more. Everyone watched in awe as one of the Aurors granted Mr. Weasley’s request. Mr. Weasley carefully placed Ginny’s favorite teddy bear that he brought with him to the funeral in one of Ginny’s folded arms, then the Auror closed the lid of the coffin for the last time.

Both Ginny’s and Professor Albright’s coffins were slowly lowered into the deeply dug ground.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As their coffins descended, the timing of the harrowing event seemed to parallel to the moment that Draco and Professor Snape began their journey into the walls of Azkaban.

Only Draco’s mother and Pansy were there to say their goodbyes, as they watched Draco helplessly walk into the entrance. Guards, dressed in dark brown robes and wearing hoods over their heads, stood on either side of the long, dark path into the part of the prison that led to the holding cells.

For the first time, Draco realized the immense doom he was about to face. He began to feel his heart beat irregularly, as he continued to approach closer to the bottomless darkness of Azkaban.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

By this time, both Ginny and Professor Albright rested on the bottom of the cold ground. The gravediggers began to shovel small piles of dirt on top of their coffins. Harry and the others had already begun the sad return back to the castle. Mrs. Weasley and Harry walked arm-in-arm with one another. Mr. Weasley walked a little ahead, appearing as if he no longer knew where he was or comprehended the pain in his own heart.

Draco and Professor Snape walked the last few steps into the cold, heartless, darkness of the prison. Behind them the guards fell behind, one-by-one, closing off any view of Draco that his mother or Pansy had. As the last guard followed behind the prison procession, an enormous, metal, lattice gate was lowered down by large, heavy, metal chains and closed off the entrance. Narcissa and Pansy clung tightly to one another for support as they grieved over Draco’s fate.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Once Harry, Mrs. Weasley and the others arrived at the castle, Harry’s thoughts turned to his memories. He remembered what Sirius had told him. He remembered that it would be these memories that would provide him the strength and courage to go on. For now, though, this thought offered little comfort. Harry’s heart was so thoroughly broken; he found it hard to believe that any length of time could perform such magic to heal it.

Harry dreaded the thought of returning to Grimmauld Place. The light that Ginny brought to it was snuffed out forever. Though Sirius and Remus would be there to help him the next few days, he knew, eventually, they would leave. He and Dobby would be left in the healing hands of time. Kreacher would not be affected one way or the other.

Harry thought of all the things he would no longer share or experience with Ginny. He thought about how much he’d miss getting lost in her brown eyes or stroking her beautiful, red hair that matched the colors of the sunset. He missed the soft, warm touch of her hand on his cheek just before her lips would meet his. He would miss her smile, her giggles, her stubbornness, and her affection. He would miss how she would throw her arms lovingly around his neck just before tickling him with kisses under his chin.

He would miss the chance to be intimate with her. In the simplest terms, he would miss the unconditional love she had for him. He was certain Ginny was his last hope of ever having anyone special to love him so much. His heart began to harden, but only for a moment.

Dumbledore was right, he thought. There are much more terrible things than physical injury. No greater pain, than the pain caused by the loss of a loved one, could possibly exist. His heart softened again, simply because, deep inside, Harry knew that the last thing he wanted to do was become as hateful as his enemies. Somehow he knew he needed to rise above and allow himself to feel pain, so that he could eventually feel love again.

As Professor Dumbledore and his great-grandmother pointed out, it was his ability to love and choose the good way to use his gifts, in spite of his loveless childhood that separated him from Voldemort, and discredited any similarities between the two of them. This fact alone made all the difference.

After the graveside ceremony came to an end, Professor McGonagall requested that Harry meet her in her chambers. She invited Sirius to come along. By the look on Professor McGonagall’s face, Harry sensed that something was terribly wrong. All three entered the headmistress’ chambers. Harry and Sirius sat down next to each other by Professor McGonagall’s desk.

Professor McGonagall settled into her seat and took a deep breath. What she needed to tell Harry would not be easy.

“Harry, this letter came for you from the Ministry,” Professor McGonagall said nervously as she handed the letter to Harry.

Harry opened the envelope and read the letter.

Dear Mr.Potter,

We regret to inform you that, due to your recent loss of magical powers, your invitation to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement’s Auror Apprenticeship has been revoked. This condition is not uncommon and with proper treatment can be corrected over time. Once you have regained your magical powers you can resubmit your application to the program. We look forward to your resubmission. Until such time, we wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you choose to do.

Sincerely,
Gawain Robards
Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.


Harry hung his head. He handed the letter to Sirius. Sirius read the letter.

“Oh, Harry, I’m so sorry,” Sirius calmly consoled.

“Yeah, me too. Perfect end to a perfect day.” Harry choked back the urge to cry.

“Harry, I believe the letter mentions that your condition is only temporary. Probably related to You-Know-Who’s destruction. You can always apply next year,” Professor McGonagall was quick to point out.

“Yes, but until then what do I do?” Harry asked with a defeated tone.

Professor McGonagall took this question as an opportunity to offer up the proposal she’d prepared to give Harry after he read the letter. She hoped this offer would raise Harry’s spirits.

“Harry, you were quite a skilled teacher, when you were conducting your D.A. meetings. Ron and Hermione used to tell me on numerous occasions what a wonderful teacher you were.”

“So, what’s your point?” quipped a disheartened Harry.

“Harry, as you are well aware, Hogwarts has had quite a time keeping a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. We believed it had something to do with a curse You-Know-Who placed on the position. However, now that he is no longer a concern, we believe we may be able to keep one around for awhile,” she explained. “That’s if you’re willing to accept the position.”

Harry’s mouth dropped open. He remembered his adventure in Professor Dumbledore’s Pensieve, when Voldemort tried to attain the same position. He was disappointed about losing his dream of becoming an Auror, but, in some ways, he felt like he was getting even on Voldemort twice. Harry smiled at Professor McGonagall.

“Okay, I accept,” Harry replied, surrendering to his destiny.

Professor McGonagall smiled and opened a manila folder conveniently lying on her desk. She presented some papers and a quill to Harry. Harry signed his name to accept the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Professor McGonagall extended her hand to Harry. He shook it. “Welcome back, Potter,” Professor McGonagall smirked, handing him a regulation-assigned wand, like the one she gave to Professor Albright, almost a year ago.

Harry accepted it. Sirius smiled and patted Harry on the back for encouragement. Harry smiled half-heartedly. All three rose from where they were sitting. Sirius shook Professor McGonagall’s hand.

“Minerva, thank you again,” Sirius said with deep sincerity in his voice. He was grateful for her assistance with his godson’s situation.

Both Sirius and Harry left Professor McGonagall’s office. They prepared to return to Grimmauld Place. Remus and Tonks would be joining them. It was a comfort to Harry to know that he would not spend all of the summer by himself. Though he had Dobby and Kreacher to entertain him, the human companionship was greatly welcomed. He felt a sense of being left out. Ron and Hermione would have each other. They would be starting their apprenticeships this summer. They would be starting their lives.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The summer passed quickly, however, and before Harry knew it, he was journeying back to Platform Nine and Three Quarters. Harry brought Dobby and Kreacher with him. They would be doing their usual kitchen duty for the school year.

Sirius and Remus accompanied Harry, Dobby, and Kreacher to the train station. Along with them, Ron, Hermione, Neville Longbottom, Lavender, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Fred, George, Percy, Luna, Bill, Fleur and their newborn son, Arthur Phillipe, came to the station to see Harry off to Hogwarts.

Nervously, Mrs. Weasley tried in vain to straighten Harry’s hair. Mr. Weasley put his hand on Harry’s shoulder. He offered Harry words of comfort that only a father could provide.

“You know, wherever you are, whatever you do, you have a home at the Burrow.”

“Thank you, Mr. Weasley,” Harry replied.

The time was drawing nearer for Harry to board the train. He hugged everyone goodbye, exept for Ron and Hermione. He walked over to share a special moment with them. Tears began to fill his eyes and a lump filled his throat. Ron looked away for a moment. He, too, began to get emotional. Hermione did not care and allowed her tears to roll freely down her cheeks.

“You’re the two best friends a guy could ever have,” Harry murmured.

Hermione threw her arms around Harry’s neck. Ron gave Harry a friendly punch in the arm. For a moment the two young men looked at one another. Ron could not remain cool any longer. He embraced Harry as well. Ron and Hermione released their embrace, then Harry turned around, grabbed Dobby and Kreacher by their hands, and boarded the train.

Harry, Dobby, and Kreacher found a carriage two doors down. All three settled down in a seat. Harry sat by the window with his head leaning against it. He stared out and watched the Weasleys, Hermione, Neville, Lavender, Luna, Fleur, Sirius and Remus “ his entire family -- as they waved goodbye.

While the train began to pull away, Harry saw the form of a beautiful, young redheaded woman, running along side it. Harry sat up straight, his face pressed firmly against the train window. As he continued to watch the woman, her facial features became recognizable. It was Ginny! She was waving and blowing kisses to Harry. As the train picked up speed, the distance between Harry and Ginny’s ghostly figure grew greater, until Ginny’s form faded away.

Harry realized then, that his terrible and wonderful past was behind him. He was beginning a new life, a different one than the one he had originally planned. It would not be his first choice, as he soon learned was not uncommon for many in both the Muggle as well as Wizarding world. Perhaps this life would finally offer him peace.

With Ginny, his great-grandmother, and his dream of becoming an Auror gone, and Ron and Hermione starting their own lives together, the only thing that remained of his past rested on his forehead in the form of a lightning bolt-shaped scar.


The End
























This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=63789