The Muggle and the Horcrux by Buckbeak22
Summary: Lauren has always been Hermione's best girlfriend, but she is a Muggle. She plays the cello. How can that help Harry, Ron and Hermione in their quest to find the Horcruxes? O/C plus R/Hr and H/G
Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 32069 Read: 22797 Published: 03/04/07 Updated: 11/29/07

1. Chapter 1: A Date with Ben by Buckbeak22

2. Chapter 2: Coincidences by Buckbeak22

3. Chapter 3: An Argument and a Second Date by Buckbeak22

4. Chapter 4: Tattoos by Buckbeak22

5. Chapter 5: An Interesting Conversation by Buckbeak22

6. Chapter 6: A Day at College by Buckbeak22

7. Chapter 7: Moving House by Buckbeak22

8. Chapter 8: Visiting The Strangers by Buckbeak22

Chapter 1: A Date with Ben by Buckbeak22
I put my cello down with a sigh, as the conductor folded up his music. It had been a very long session, and it was rather draughty in the church. I hadn’t brought my cardigan with me, having foolishly left it draped over my cello case. I had been warm after the walk from the tube, and late, so I hadn’t had a chance to cool off before rehearsal started. Now my arms, which were bare, were covered in an enormous amount of unattractive gooseflesh, in spite of the frenzied playing required for the program. My stand partner put his bow down and stood up and stretched, showing a rather white skinny belly under the ratty jumper and making the appropriate groaning noises.

”That was a killer session. You coming to get something to eat?”

I wrinkled my nose. “No thanks, Alex. I brought some sandwiches, and I have some reading to do. Tell Katy I’ll see her later.” I waved at Katy, who was putting her oboe on a stand, and fiddling with her reeds. I stood myself, and made my way through the chairs and music stands to where my cardigan and bag stood against the wall. I would need to carry them into the vestry, where all the other instrument cases had to go. I gratefully put on my black cardigan, and stood a moment as I saw Ben go out of the door with a group of friends. Ben was devastatingly gorgeous, and I had had a crush on him ever since I had started at the Junior Academy. He had started full time a year before me. For an instant I was tempted to follow him, but then I remembered what I needed to do in the next couple of hours.

I hurried to the icy bathrooms, and tried to warm my hands up in the hot water, but it was impossible. My long black skirt swished against my legs, creating a draught. I had already dressed for the concert tonight, so that my clothes wouldn’t get crushed on the trip into London. Now I was glad I had brought my tights. I changed from my sandals into my tights and concert shoes. That was a bit warmer.

Then I put my cello case in the vestry, and grabbed my bag. I would eat outside on the bench in the small garden attached to the church. I never felt too comfortable leaving my cello out by the stands, but the sound recording men were still rigging up wires (one of which wasn’t taped down and I nearly tripped on), and I had done it before many times. It would be safe.

It was much warmer outside the church, although it was still quite brisk. I sat down cross-legged on the bench, unwrapped my sandwiches and thermos of tea, and then got out the book I had come prepared to read. I had actually found it in the Victoria Music Library, while looking for cello music. The title read “The Horcrux in Music”. It had not been taken out in decades. The cover was shriveled looking, and worn.

I had taken it to my friend Hermione Granger, who was, these days, surrounded in tottering piles of like-looking books. She had given it the once over, and told me that it appeared to be safe, and so it was number one on my reading list for today, together with the Dictionary of Magical Terms and Meanings that she had given me.

Touching the library book made me shiver, but I opened it anyway, and then experienced a swinging feeling of nausea. It was horrible. I had known it would be. Ever since Hermione had told me about her school, and asked for help in her quest to find the seven Horcruxes Voldemort had created, I had been reading books like this. I had become as familiar with the names Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff and Godric Gryffindor as I had with the Shostakovich Cello Concerto that I was practicing.

Hermione had been particularly interested in this book, because I had found it in a Muggle library, but her interest had faded somewhat when she realized that it had not been checked out since before Voldemort had actually been born. However, we needed to know all we could about the Horcruxes, and so I was given the task of reading the book.

I knew why it hadn’t been checked out. It was repulsive. Any other Muggle would have shivered and wiped their hands on their clothes before moving on. If I had not noticed the word “Horcrux” on it, there is no way I would have touched it. The book felt slimy, and I had to fight the constant urge to shut it as I read. I kept shuddering and waves of nausea overcame me from time to time, which was a pity, because my sandwich was very good, (strong cheddar and raw onion, just the way I like it) but I knew that was the effect of the magic, so I kept reading.

It was actually a rather lovely spring day, and the walls of the church garden muted the sound of traffic. The pale sunshine, dappled from the one gnarled apple tree in the gardens, danced across the pages as I read, and the church wall both sheltered me from the wind and seemed to vibrate heat from the dirty yellow stone. Another couple of people had wandered into the garden, but did not come near my bench. I put my knees up and kept the cover of the book hidden as I read.

Most of it was very hard to understand, and I used the dictionary a lot, occasionally making notes for Hermione in a small notebook. It was one of the magical items she had given me, and I wasn’t sure I liked it very much. The words disappeared as I wrote in it, and so I couldn’t go back and check anything. Hermione would be able to, but I didn’t have even the slightest vestige of magic. So I hoped my notes made sense, because I couldn’t edit them for her. She said it was safer this way in case anybody found the notebook. Apparently it was a very complicated charm you had to perform to make the words reveal themselves. I hardly thought any fellow members from The Royal Academy were going to be interested in my notebook, and I did think that Hermione was overdoing the security thing, but that was her all over.

Sometimes not having any magic made me feel a little inferior, but Hermione, Harry, and Ron had assured me that I was definitely contributing my fair share towards the team effort just in brainpower!

I think Harry and Ron hoped that if Hermione and I did the legwork, they could go and find the Horcruxes and do whatever had to be done to disable them. They were reckoning without Hermione though, because wherever they went, she was going too. I wished I could go with them, and sometimes I felt a bit left out, because I knew that when we discovered what and where the Horcruxes were, the other three would leave without me, but what use would a Muggle be on a magical quest?

I bit into my cheese sandwich, and looked up another word. It was old-fashioned English, so even some of the English words were obscure until translated. I blessed the fact that Hermione and I had learned Latin one summer, and that I had never really given it up. Languages are something else I am good at, apart from music. I think they really go hand in hand. Katy swears I am wrong, because she is half French and she still speaks with an English accent, but I like learning languages, and find them easy.

After an hour and a half’s worth of reading, however, I was frowning. As far as I could understand, you could put a Horcrux into music. It would only be released if the same piece of music were played on the same instrument, while certain magical words were used. If the instrument were destroyed, a piece of that instrument would have to be used to fashion another to release the music. If the instrument were burned, the ash would have to be added to the varnish. I sat for a while, lost in study. Of course there was no knowing if Voldemort had used an instrument at all. If he had, which instrument would he choose, and which piece of music? And why? Would the instrument have to be played by a wizard, or could anyone do it? And did the person playing have to say the words, or could it be someone else? The book was not clear on that point.

Suddenly I was burning to go back to the Victoria library. Typically Voldemort had been turning pieces with history into Horcruxes. Could there be a tune that was a favourite of Rowena Ravenclaw’s? (Somehow I always felt that she would be the one to play an instrument if any of them did; I identified with her far more than the others.) And had any of them owned an instrument? If they had, it wouldn’t be a typical modern instrument, but a flute or something. I needed to find out more about the dates and times that the Founders had been alive.

Of course, it could just be a red herring, because quite frankly Voldemort could have used umpteen different things as a Horcrux, and I had never heard anything about him being musical, but we were following up any lead, however slight. And if one magical book had found its way into a Muggle music library, wasn’t it a possibility that others might have?

And to me, music made sense. Music evokes passion in many people, and nearly everyone can relate to some piece of music. If I were to split myself into parts, I would definitely pick a piece of music for one part. Probably the Dvorak Cello Concerto.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Katy and Alex returning with a group of my other friends, and I slipped the notebook and horrible slimy Horcrux book quickly back into my bag and went over to meet them.

Katy hailed me. “We brought you some hot chocolate. Alex said you looked pretty chilly earlier, and we found this little place near Covent Garden that does it with real chocolate and chocolate curls on top.”

I took the cup gratefully. I had left the lid off my thermos while I was reading, and the tea I had brought with me was stone cold.

“Thank you. Did you see Ben?”

Katy rolled her eyes. “No. I think you would be better off making sheep’s eyes at that gorgeous bloke who came to the last concert. Harry Potter. He was certainly interested in you!”

“Well, I thought he was pretty amazing too, but he already has a girlfriend. I keep telling you the only reason he came to the concert was because Hermione came, and she made him.” I took a sip of chocolate and closed my eyes. It was heavenly.

“Get away! She can probably make her boyfriend do anything, but she can’t possibly make her other friends come to concerts if they don’t want to.” Neither Katy nor Alex believed me.

I smiled faintly. I couldn’t tell her that the only reason they had all come to the concert was to take me back to somewhere called Grimmauld Place afterwards so that Hermione and I could brainstorm some of our theories on where Helga Hufflepuff’s silver cup could be. I had met Harry’s girlfriend Ginny there. Actually they weren’t going out any more, something about Harry not wanting her to get hurt, but you could see Harry still liked her a lot. And although I thought Harry was rather gorgeous, I was still so much in the habit of being in love with Ben from a distance I would have been quite at a loss if he had been available and interested!

Since I drivel on about Ben a lot, I had better tell you a bit about him. He is tall, and extraordinarily good looking, with eyes that are blue green “ a sort of light aqua colour in a tanned face. He has thick brown hair and a very mobile mouth. Last year he wore short sleeves a lot, and you can see he has very fit arms, but lately he has been covered up. Partly because of the cold, and it is also rumored that he got an embarrassing tattoo.

There was great discussion at first as to whether or not he was gay, but then his girlfriend came to a concert with his parents so that settled that question, and broke my heart at the same time. However, she had not been seen for a while, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps it hadn’t worked out. Not that I could hope Ben would notice me. All the girls like him, and he is kind of a loner. Nor am I experienced at relationships, or flirting. I am what people refer to as a “Boffin” with a capital B. I have no idea how to flirt. I had hardly ever exchanged two words with Ben, even though he played in violas, almost next to me. But it is nice to dream.

I had drifted off into a Ben daydream while Katy and Alex bickered about something in the way that they always bickered. I zone out when they do that. The rest of the group, which I joined occasionally were standing outside too, reluctant to go in and start changing in the freezing cold church. I was just drinking the last of my chocolate, when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Hi Lauren.”

I spilled the rest of the chocolate down my front, and choked on what I had in my mouth. It was Ben. Ben, who had never before singled me out or looked over in my direction. Katy and Alex stood open mouthed, forgetting to argue.

“I’m sorry,” Ben said apologetically as I wiped chocolate off my chin with the back of my hand, absolutely mortified. “I didn’t mean to startle you.” I fished a crumpled tissue (the only one I had) out of my bag and scrubbed at my front. At least my cardigan was black and it wouldn’t show, but it had probably stained my shirt underneath.

“I’m sorry,” Ben said again, and I looked up at him. It really was him, those sea blue eyes looking concerned.

“Don’t worry. I’m clumsy, that’s all. And it is black. See? No damage done.” I straightened as I spoke, wishing my voice didn’t sound so reedy and breathless. I looked a little damp, but it wouldn’t show from a distance. I wiped the tissue over my hands, and looked around for a dustbin. Ben took the cup from me.

“Here, I’ll get rid of that. I suppose you will want to wash your hands. I just wanted to talk to you.”

Ben wanted to talk to me? I could feel myself flushing. “Yes, that’s alright, I’ll only be a moment. I mean, washing my hands.”

I didn’t know if I was making sense or not. Ben wanted to talk to me! The boy I had admired for years wanted to talk to me! I bumped into Katy as I backed away, looking even more foolish, before I hightailed it to the bathrooms, closely followed by Katy and Alex. Alex should theoretically have stopped outside; but he didn’t. He never really minded the conventions too much. Katy was bouncing. “Lauren! What did Ben want?”

I ran water and patted it over my chin, which had a brown chocolate stain, and winced at my reflection. “I don’t know. He just wanted to talk. Probably won’t now that I have made such a fool of myself. On the other hand,” I went on a bit damped, “he might just want to borrow a book or something unexciting.”

Alex rolled his eyes, and ran some paper towels under water for me, ignoring (or perhaps not even noticing) the glares of the girls who were using the facilities and didn’t think a man should be in the ladies toilets. I looked at my straight black hair, as I mopped my sweater with the towels, and not for the first time, wished I had Hermione’s extravagant bushy curls, or even Katy’s looser curls. Something memorable rather than something that made me look like a stereotypical vicar’s daughter. I’m not, but I look like one, unlike Katy who is one, and doesn’t look it. I never wear makeup either, as I simply cannot put it on without looking like a complete clown, but at least I looked neat.

After discussing the matter at a greater length than it probably needed, and giving me a lot of advice that I resolved never to take, Katy and Alex wished me luck and went to get dressed.

I dried my hands, face and front with the hard paper towels and went outside. Of course Ben wasn’t there. He had gone to get changed so I went into the Vestry. There were many people there in various states of undress. Alex was pulling his trousers on, and Katy was trying to zip up her black frock, which had got caught. I went to help her, looking around the room. Ben was on the other side, tying black concert shoes. He already had his shirt and trousers on, but needed to put on his tux and bowtie.

Katie got out her make up, and snapped at Alex, who elbowed her at the wrong moment because he was hopping around pulling on his black socks up his skinny legs. I saw another argument starting, so I wandered as if by accident over to where Ben was now tying his bow tie by feel: there being no mirrors in the vestry. It was crowded with the all orchestra trying to get dressed at once, and John the horn player was wandering around in his underpants scratching his belly, and getting in everyone’s way, moaning that he had forgotten to bring his black socks, and did anyone have some to spare?

As I reached him, Ben turned to me, as if we had been close friends for ages. “Lauren, could you straighten my tie? I can never get it to look good without a mirror.”

I didn’t want to tell him that I would probably make things worse, but he had already tied it, so how bad could it be? Just being that close to him would be wonderful.

I stepped up and fiddled with his tie, and he looked over my head into the distance, the way men do so that they don’t get choked while you arrange their ties. (I don’t have any first hand experience, but I know the routine from old black and white films). Remembering the raw onion, I tried not to breathe too hard, and began to feel a bit light headed. Ben broke the silence. “You are doing really well for your first year. Haven’t I seen you before?”

We had only been playing in the same orchestra for about four years in Junior Academy before he left for the main college orchestra a year before me! I told him so, a little coolly. I know I am not that attractive, being one of your serious, sharp-elbowed gawky girls, but still. He had the grace to look abashed.

“I was wondering if you were doing anything after the performance, or if you wanted to grab a coffee or something.”

My insides gave a pleasant swoop, and then I remembered Hermione was coming by to pick me up for another brainstorming session at Grimmauld Place.

“Oh, I would really have loved to, but I have something else planned.”

I couldn’t believe my bad luck. I had looked forward to this moment for years now, and I couldn’t accept. “Can we make it another day?” I might have been bad at flirting, but I wasn’t going to let this opportunity slip.

I stepped away from him, sincerely glad that he wasn’t going to be able to see the mess I had made of his bow tie.

“I would like that.” His eyes for a moment stared into mine before I got so flustered I had to look down. “Maybe tomorrow afternoon?” We could meet after our last lecture. Mine ends at six. And you?”

I had to try to think, which was difficult with him so near. “Um, I finish at four tomorrow, but I could use the extra cello practice. I’ll be in one of the rooms downstairs.”

As I finished speaking, Ellie came over. She was a violinist, and when Ben did hang with a crowd, it was usually hers. She gave a gasp and handed me her violin, which I automatically took from her without thinking.

“Ben Stranger, what did you do to your bow tie? Here, let me do it, I have had a lot of practice.”
Chapter 2: Coincidences by Buckbeak22
Author's Notes:

I blushed scarlet and determinedly avoided Ben’s eyes, as Ellie efficiently undid my handiwork, and started the whole bow tie again with a practiced air.





I felt a bit used as she collected her violin and Ben with a careless “Thank you sweetie”, and made off with them both towards a group of people which included her own boyfriend, pianist and would-be composer Aaron Sutcliffe, who was doing the Beethoven with us today as the first half of the program. He was standing in an admiring circle, flicking his longish dirty blond hair back and posing as he usually did.





Ben did look over his shoulder and call “See you tomorrow then,” but I was still kicking myself as I made my way over to Katy and Alex. It seemed that every time I came into contact with Ben I would come over as an idiot. However, it was a balm to wounded pride when Katy and Alex pounced on me and asked for the news, and I was able to tell them that Ben and I were going on a date.





Later, Hermione congratulated me when she, Ron and Harry swung by after the concert, and met me outside the building. Hermione had suffered my long letters about Ben for years, and had agreed that he was very handsome when I pointed him out to her at the last concert. (From her unconvincing performance I suspected that she thought Ben as handsome as I thought Ron, but really and truly, Ben is far better looking.)





We were standing at the side of the church chatting when Ben came out with his viola case and some people in tow, who looked like they might be relations. He saw me and stopped short, looking over at Harry, his brows drawn together. It suddenly occurred to me that he probably thought Harry was my date! Ron and Hermione were holding hands, and Harry was standing near me.





I waved at him and called “See you tomorrow!” and had the satisfaction of seeing his face lighten.





We were getting to Grimmauld Place by broom. Harry thought he could manage me, and Ron was going to take my precious cello, having promised not to drop it.





When the crowd had thinned and we weren’t likely to be noticed, we went around to the back of the church, and Hermione Disillusioned me. That is, she tapped me on my head and I felt icy trickles down my back, (it feels a bit like that kid game when you say “break an egg down your back”) and then I wasn’t there any more “ at least I was, but it was like I had taken on the attributes of my surroundings.







It was a little spooky to tell the truth, and made me feel very sick. I think Muggles must have a different reaction to magic than wizards, because none of the others seemed to feel at all upset about it.





Harry was to take me on his broom because he was the best flier, and I am terrible about stuff like that. I get vertigo on a bicycle. Hermione didn’t particularly like flying either, and the two of us had lobbied to take a taxi to Grimmauld Place, but Ron and Harry had said that brooms would be easier. They don't like taxis.





It was the most miserable ride of my life. By some great good fortune I managed not to throw up down Harry’s back, but the ride was simply awful, and I staggered into Grimmauld Place looking like something the cat had dragged in, and set off the Screaming Lady by tripping over a malevolent hat stand, that Hermione needed to rescue me from. Harry came in rubbing his shoulders where I had been clutching him. (He swears to this day that he has deep ingrained marks.)





As I had thought, the others were sceptical about one of the Horcruxes being a piece of music, but I was stubborn, and so I stuck to my point. I think I was partly so keen for it to be music because that is what I was good at.







I arranged for myself to go to the Victoria library and look again to see if I could find anything else magical, and then we discussed the Horcrux attached to Helga’s cup. I found that while I had been practicing, the others had located it, but they needed to work on some spells to retrieve it safely. I marked three that I thought would be useful and Hermione agreed, and added three more.





The next part of the evening was very interesting to me. I never tire of watching magic being practiced “ so long as they don’t practice on me. (Ron once levitated me to the top of a tall cupboard, and refused to let me down, when I sided with Hermione in one of their constant spats.)







Hermione, Ron and Harry practiced the spells, and I was the prompter, as it were, with the books. My knowledge of Latin came in very useful here, as I was even better at pronunciation than Hermione now. She had stopped Latin at Hogwarts, but I had continued to take it until I got into the Academy full time.





I got to watch the various coloured lights that shot from their wands, and from the illustrations in the book (which moved) was able to correct their wand movements. Hermione was very good of course, she got everything the first or second time, but Harry and Ron both needed a lot of guiding. Ron thought that he was the worst, but to be fair he was every bit as good as Harry; what he needed was the confidence. It can’t be easy being the boyfriend of the cleverest witch of the age.





Watching magic is a little like watching Star Wars. Especially with the other magical creatures that come and go. There is one called Kreacher who is just completely vile and looks unwashed. He gives me the creeps, and he doesn’t like me any either. He likes me even less than Hermione, and that is saying something, because he is always mean to her, rolling his eyes and frothing at the mouth if she so much as speaks to him.





I love the paintings here too: they move all the time, and each painting is like watching television, only you can have conversations with them! The only really irritating one is of the Screaming Lady, which is a portrait of Sirius Black's mother. We call her the Screaming Lady because she never shuts up. Harry and Hermione won’t let me talk to many of the paintings, because they are mostly Dark pictures and aren’t safe for a Muggle. Most of them insult me anyway, but it is still fun. Like when you go to Wonkee’s Chinese Restaurant, and the waiters insult you as part of the experience. The Screaming Lady insults everybody.





Anyway, we practiced until late in the night, and then Hermione took me back through the Floo, which they had connected to the apartment that she and I now shared in Ealing Broadway. I can’t do things like that myself, but I can with someone like Hermione to help. The Floo is much better than flying, although it looks scarier as you have to step into green flames. They aren’t hot - just pleasantly warm.





The next day, I actually cut two classes to go down to the Victoria Music Library, because I hadn’t done much cello practice recently, and I didn’t want to give up the two hours I could do before I met Ben. I knew Katy and Alex would let me have their notes, and seeing the magic world and the horrific things that Voldemort could do was enough to convince me that cutting a few classes was worth it. Hey, if Hermione was taking a year off school, that meant that the world was definitely in need of saving and if I could do anything to help, I would.





I gave my cello to the librarian to keep behind the desk for me, and after an hour of looking around and finding zilch, decided to ask for help. It wouldn’t matter if I asked about Rowena Ravenclaw here (I was still convinced somehow that it was Rowena Ravenclaw who would have been the musical one; something I had heard about her recently was niggling at the back of my mind). The librarian here would just think she was an ordinary composer; the Victoria Music Library was, after all, a Muggle facility. The wizarding world probably had its own musical collections.





The librarian went to their antiquated filing system and spent some time rifling through dog eared cards, before returning with two entries and giving me some numbers. To be honest, I hadn’t really expected anything, so I was pleasantly excited. The first book I pulled out was a bit of a disappointment, as it was a string quartet composed by a Siegfried Ravenclaw, but I tucked it under my arm anyway. After all, he could be a relative of hers. With the second book, I knew I had struck gold.





It was a piece for solo bass instrument. It had been transposed, of course, as goodness knows what the original piece would have been written for. It was marked “Traditional melody, att. Rowena Ravenclaw.” Of course, that didn’t mean that the Rowena Ravenclaw, founding member of Hogwarts, had composed it but it was worth checking out. The book was not obviously magical, as the Horcrux book had been, and so I checked it out normally. (I am ashamed to say that I had “shoplifted” the Horcrux book from the shelves, as I didn’t want the librarian to not let me have it, if you see what I mean.)





I should have gone into college then, for my next class, but I slipped into a nearby café and studied the music over a late breakfast of a lightly toasted teacake and pot of Assam, which I couldn’t really afford.





The Ravenclaw was playable, and wouldn’t take me long to learn. For such early music, it was very Romantic in style “ it should have had a Renaissance tone to it at least, but it was chromatic and complicated. Obviously the magical world had different and more sophisticated music at that point in time. I would be interested to see what it was like now. I checked my watch and got up in a panic. It was later than I’d thought, and I needed to be at quartet practice.





I got in a few minutes late, owing to the fact that there was a tube delay (isn’t there always?) and the others were all set up. Jenna laughed at me. “I didn’t see you in History, but I knew you’d be here for quartet practice even if you were dying!” she joked.





I pulled out the Siegfried Ravenclaw book, and handed out parts. “I’m sorry I’m late. I know we’re studying the Mendelssohn right now, but I thought we could give this the once over and see what it sounds like. It looks interesting.”





I got out my cello in a hurry, and set up, while the others practiced bits and pieces.





After we had given the Mendelssohn a good solid hour, Jenna, who was having trouble with the timing in one section, and was fed up, suggested we try the Ravenclaw.





It was actually quite good. Different, but not too difficult to play. We all enjoyed it tremendously, and I was convinced that the music had been written enough in the same style to place it from the magical world too, although probably quite a bit later than the first piece. Afterwards the others decided that we would play that piece in concert as a foil for the Mendlessohn. “It’ll be different,” Jenna said cheerfully. “Make everyone sit up a bit. Never heard anything quite like it. Where did you dig it up?”





“I was just browsing,” I said vaguely. Suddenly I was wondering if I had made the right decision bringing the music here. It certainly was different music, and I didn’t want unwelcome attention. “But the library will want it back in a week or so, so we can’t use it.”





“Oh, don’t be so wishy washy,” said James. “You can renew it, can’t you? Anyway, let’s take the parts home and practice, and then we can decide when we meet on Thursday. We should know by then if it is feasible. My part could definitely do with some work if we expect to perform it. There is just something about the mood that I can’t get hold of, and I have never changed clefs so much in one piece before. I might take it in to my lesson tomorrow and let Starr look it over and see what he thinks.”





Samuel was already tucking his part into his violin case.





It was spiraling out of control. Oh well. The book had been in the Victoria Library for anyone to find. If we played it, it shouldn’t attract that much attention, if any. Muggles must have checked it out before. All the same, as I packed up I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.





I was lucky in finding an empty practice room, and after my scale routine immediately got out the Ravenclaw. Theoretically I should have been working on my Shostakovich, but I was burning to find out what Rowena Ravenclaw had written.





It was gorgeous. Hellishly difficult, but gorgeous. It was going to take a lot of work, and I knew I wanted to work on this piece. It was like thunder and lightening and water all at once. It had the sound of Scotland in it too.





I nearly died when the door suddenly opened, and I think I squeaked. It was Ben.





He looked taken aback. “Sorry. Weren’t you expecting me?”





I realized I was staring at him owlishly. “Oh, of course, I mean, not yet - I thought we were meeting at six?”





Ben looked at me a little oddly. “It is twenty past. I got held up outside class. What was that you were playing? I have never heard it before.”





For some reason I hedged. “Oh, some traditional music that was arranged for cello. I quite like it. I didn’t realize I had been working so long.”





I picked up the music as he walked around to look at it, blushing. I didn’t want him to see the name “Rowena Ravenclaw”. Hermione had impressed on me the need for utter secrecy. We didn’t want anyone else to become a target for Voldemort’s henchmen who operated under the name “Death Eaters”. Harry, Ron and Hermione were very security conscious where I was concerned too. I would make an easy target, especially as I was now sharing with a flat with Hermione. She was very secretive about Apparating to and fro. (That’s what she calls it when she appears with a bang in the kitchen out of nowhere and scares me half to death.)





Ben helped me to put my cello away, and then in true gentlemanly style insisted on carrying it for me as well as his viola. It was quite odd to be without that pressure on my shoulder, but I thought Ben might be upset if I insisted on carrying it myself. He seemed a little old fashioned.





We got on like a house on fire. It was wonderful. We ended up spending hours talking about any and everything over an Italian dinner at a little café that Ben insisted on paying for. And Ben asked me about Harry too “ he had noticed him!





“Who was that bloke you were with the other night? One with the messy hair and the scar?”





I hadn’t expected to be asked about Harry, and I am not a good liar. I can’t make up things on the spur of the moment, so what I ended up saying is “Er…Harris. Ron Harris. He is just a friend. I wasn’t with him. We were going on to a party with a group of friends. That is why I had to give you a rain check.”





“Oh.” Ben didn’t sound convinced. “It looked like a double date to me. Where do you know him from?”





By this time my brain was working better, and I took a drink of my coffee, which gave me an extra second to think. “Ron? Oh, we went to primary school together.”





“And you have never dated him at any time?”





I laughed. “No. Never. I have actually never dated anyone. I have never had time, what with my cello and everything.”





I mentally kicked myself. Why had I told him that? Goodness knows what he thought of me now.





But Ben didn’t seem put off. He was interested in me. He got me to tell him all about my school and what I got up to with my brothers in the summer and about how I found it hard to make real friends because of my constant practice. He told me about himself. He had just broken up with his girlfriend a few months ago, and had wanted to talk to me, but was just shy. (Imagine, Ben being shy of me!) He had first noticed my cello playing, and then noticed my eyes.





“They are incredible eyes,” he told me. “They reminded me of an old painting on a snuffbox that I found in a junk shop once while I was poking around. I brought it with me today, so that you could see it.”





He pulled out a box and slid it over the table to me. It gave me a shock. I could feel my hands growing icy. It was Rowena Ravenclaw. I didn’t pick the box up because I knew my hands would shake. I kept my hands down, studying the box on the table. It was a double shock, because I had never expected Ben to own a painting of Rowena, and secondly, because now the resemblance had been pointed out to me, I could see that I did indeed look like her. I needed to pull my hair back, and up out of the way, and I would look just like her.





What would Ben have to do with Rowena Ravenclaw? Was it a coincidence?





“What’s the matter?” Ben sounded worried. “Are you offended? I think she is beautiful. I thought you would be pleased.”





I controlled my voice with an effort. “No… It is just surprising to see somebody painted me on a snuffbox!” I was trying for a flirty tone, but my voice sounded strained, even to me.





Ben reached out and took the box back. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think it might upset you.” He sounded a little hurt. I took a deep breath, and managed to look up. His eyes were full of worry, but I couldn’t look into them for any length of time without feeling bashful, so I dropped my eyes again. What I really wanted was to go home now, but that would look odd, so I traced around the rim of my cup with my finger.





“I’m not upset. Just surprised. Maybe I should put my hair up like that sometime if I have a few hours to spare.”





Ben laughed with relief. “It does look elaborate, doesn’t it? All those pearls plaited into it?”





Things were back to normal. After a while Ben got up and helped me into my coat (he had obviously been very well brought up) and then escorted me back to the tube, where he hesitated a second or two, and then gave me my first kiss. It was absolutely incredible, and I don’t know how I managed to stand upright. It wasn’t until I had been on the tube for half an hour that I remembered the snuffbox.





It was the jarring note in an otherwise idyllic evening. It was a coincidence, and I didn’t like it. There had been far too many of them today. Finding the music, seeing the snuffbox. On the other hand life was composed of coincidences. I wasn’t looking forward to telling Hermione about the fact that my quartet wanted to play some Siegfried Ravenclaw or that Ben had a snuffbox with a painting of Rowena. Perhaps the snuffbox was just a lady that looked like Rowena. After all, it had been a Muggle painting. I had almost convinced myself not to tell Hermione about the snuffbox when I noticed that we were at Ealing Broadway, last stop and I had to get off in a hurry with my cello, before the conductor came to throw me off.



Chapter 3: An Argument and a Second Date by Buckbeak22
Author's Notes:
I am trying to stay canon here, and there has been no mention of any musical training at Hogwarts, or any other musical wizarding colleges, yet Dumbledore loves string quartets. Where would young wizards learn these?

Hermione was furious with me.

“Honestly Lauren! I would have thought you’d have more sense. Here we all are trying to be as security conscious as possible and you start strewing out magical music.”

I tried to defend myself, uneasily conscious of having had the same thoughts myself. “It was in a Muggle library. It is Muggle music. Nothing moves for gosh’s sake!”

Hermione gave me a withering glance. “You know very well that “Ravenclaw” isn’t a name that most people recognize in musical circles.” She held her fingers up and put in the quote marks for “Ravenclaw”. She knows I hate it when she does that.

I scowled. “But it is a Muggle book in the library, and I am sure other people have played it. After all, you said it was highly unlikely to have any real magical music in the library at Victoria. And once I had found it, it would be silly if we didn’t actually try to play it to see what it sounded like. I can’t sneak everything I find at the library out under my coat. I only did that with the Horcrux book, because I didn’t think the librarian would let me have it.”

I got out my cello, “Anyway, I will play you the music, and you can tell me what you think.”

I played her the Rowena Ravenclaw piece that had made such an impression on me, but Hermione seemed to have relaxed. “I don’t see that it is so different to anything else you play,” she said, surprising me.

Of course, Hermione hasn’t studied music like me. I tried to point that out to her, but she was too relieved to listen.

“I don’t think it is obviously magical at all,” she said firmly, “and the books definitely aren’t. They are just old. Who are the publishers? Quavers & Cleff? I’ll look them up on the web. And the snuffbox was probably just your imagination. After all, Rowena Ravenclaw wouldn’t have had a painting done by a Muggle. Lots of people look alike.”

“But,”- I began. She cut me off.

“I’m a bit worried about the way you are identifying yourself with Rowena Ravenclaw,” she said in her bossy way. “It seems to be becoming a bit of an obsession.”

I had wondered about that myself, but hearing Hermione say it out loud made me angry.

“Well, how do you know I am not descended from her? I certainly look like her.” I had a moment of inspiration. “I think she fell in love with a Muggle and of course not all the children would have been pure blood magicians. That is why she wrote music that crossed magical and Muggle lines and why she had her painting done by a Muggle. And this music is different. Different in a way that my friends at the Academy saw immediately.”

Trying to undermine Hermione’s confidence in her own judgment is completely futile, but she did look worried to my momentary satisfaction - before I found she was barking up a different tree to the one I hoped I had run her up.

“Lauren, you are completely going off the deep end. Rowena Ravenclaw never married. She had no descendants”

“How do you know she didn’t have a Muggle marriage?” I asked annoyed at what I saw as an anti-Muggle implication.

Hermione’s eyes opened wide. “Lauren “ this is Rowena Ravenclaw we are talking about. Just one of the most famous witches in our world…”

By now I was furious. “So that is it? One of your famous witches would never have married one of my kind? What, are we beneath you?”

I knew it was my insecurities talking, and the fact that I was guilty about giving out Ravenclaw quartet parts, but I couldn’t seem to stop myself. “So now I know what you think of me! Well, I can tell you till I am blue in the face, but you are so much more clever and talented than I am that you can discount the fact that I know this is obviously not Muggle music! Hey, but what do I know? I am just a dumb musician, and a Muggle one at that.”

Hermione’s face was white now, and I knew I should stop myself, because I knew deep down that she really didn’t see me as inferior, and it was my own confidence problem, but by now I had started to cry, and the words just seemed to pour out anyway.

“I know I am not good enough for you any more. Why do you bother with me? All I do is endanger your quest and pull stupid pranks like looking for Ravenclaw music. Why don’t you just Obliviate me, or whatever it is you do, and I will go back and play music at the Academy and forget everything I ever knew about you? Then you can mix with your real friends without embarrassment again.”

Hermione looked stricken, her mouth practically hanging open at such an unfair attack, and I couldn’t stand it any more. I turned and dashed upstairs to my room. Probably by tomorrow I would have a modified memory, and that would be that.

I was wrong too. About the Horcrux being in Rowena’s music. And probably wrong about the fact that I looked like her. I don’t know why I wanted to be related to her so much. I think I wanted to be connected to what Hermione, Ron and Harry were connected to just a little bit.

No. To be strictly truthful I knew I wanted to be connected to the magical world “ to have just a little of what the others all had. It seemed so unfair! I was horribly jealous. I struggled to overcome it.

I had just managed to hiccough my way to silence when I heard the distinctive whoosh of the Floo, and then male voices. Harry and Ron. Then Hermione. Poor Hermione. She sounded as if she had been crying too.

I sat up and blew my nose. I really owed her an apology. I had been a complete bitch. It wasn’t Hermione’s fault that I wasn’t a witch, and would never be able to do any magic, and I had no right to take it out on her. However, it was hard to go downstairs again, knowing that I looked as red eyed as I felt, and that she had probably told Harry and Ron everything. I felt like a complete worm.

Harry and Ron and Hermione sat around the kitchen table all looking serious. Hermione did look a little damp, and held a handkerchief. It made me want to sniffle again, but I said right out, “I’m sorry, Hermione. I shouldn’t have said all that. I feel terrible, because you didn’t deserve any of it.”

Both boys looked so relieved it would have been amusing if I hadn't felt so wormish. Hermione sniffed herself, but smiled at me in a watery way.

“I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have been so sure you were wrong. You may have a point. If Rowena had married a Muggle man, there wouldn’t necessarily have been any mention of it in the wizarding world. But her name wouldn’t have been Ravenclaw if she had married, would it? Especially in those times.”

I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. I was suddenly feeling a little stupid.

Hermione carried on however, “but I was looking at pictures just now, and you do look uncannily like her. Maybe she had a brother. And we are going to check out your Horcrux theory as well. After all, we are checking everything else, and it makes as much sense as anything else does. And I can’t find Quavers & Clef on the Internet as a publisher, even in old book stores.”

I sniffed, feeling tears well up again this time in relief. “Does this mean you aren’t going to Obliviate me after all?”

“No way!” said Ron immediately with feeling. “If you don’t read all those books and make notes, Hermione will expect Harry and me to do it.”

Hermione made a face and elbowed him, and Ron pretended she had mortally wounded him, and fell off his chair.

I started to feel better. Harry was still looking at me speculatively. “I wouldn’t worry that you are a Muggle,” he said gently as Hermione pulled Ron up off the floor. “Wizards and Muggles get married all the time, and they wouldn’t if they thought Muggles were inferior, would they?”

That made me feel even better. “Really?”

Harry nodded. “One of our friends has a witch for a mother and a Muggle for a father. Seamus.” he added at an enquiring look from Ron.

I sat down next opposite Hermione, and reached over the table to her. She took my hand and squeezed it. I gave a sigh of relief. Friends again.

We had another late night, but didn’t get too much done. I played the cello piece to Ron and Harry at Hermione’s request, but neither of them was musical either, so they didn’t notice any difference. Ron wouldn’t have anyway. He had only ever heard the kind of music I played! However, they were now willing to take my word for it that it was from their world. After all, as Harry put it, I was the resident expert, and Hermione was still trying to be conciliatory, which made me feel a bit bad, because the whole argument had been totally my fault.

Being Hermione however, she probably knew how I felt about the whole magic thing and was trying to make me feel that I fit in.

Harry was very interested in Ben, but after rigorous questioning, we eventually agreed to regard the snuffbox as a coincidence. It was only my extremely guilty conscience that had me mentioning something else that was bothering me that I would far rather have left unsaid.

“Ben is rumored to have a tattoo on his arm. That is why he keeps his sleeves down now.” I bit my lip. “I haven’t seen anything, and I don’t know anyone else who has, but I can’t help wondering...”

The interest quickened somewhat.

“He couldn’t be a wizard could he?” I asked hesitantly.

Ron answered slowly. “I wouldn’t have thought so. If he were a Death Eater, which is what I think you are referring to, he surely wouldn’t have asked you out?” He looked at me apologetically. “You already know they are weirdos who think that Muggles are inferior. All the same, I wish we could be sure about the tattoo.” He and Harry looked at Hermione, as everyone did in moments of uncertainty.

“Wouldn’t he have gone to Hogwarts if he were a wizard?”

Hermione looked unsure. “We haven’t any music at Hogwarts. Perhaps he needed to accept Muggle training if he is. I will have to ask McGonagall what happens if a wizard studies music. I never read about any music schools for wizards, but then it isn’t a subject that I have researched at all.” She shook herself and turned to me briskly.

“Looks as if you are on your own for this one, Lauren. I don’t think he can be a wizard, but you have to be careful. Find out as much as you can, without seeming to. I could wish he hadn’t seen Harry, but he has. And I’ll see if I can find anything about Ravenclaw music in our library at Hogwarts. The chances are that Ben has nothing to do with anything in the wizarding world, but do look out for yourself! I know you really like him, and I do appreciate your having told us this, it must be hard for you.”

She didn’t know how hard.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

During the night, as you do, I remembered why the name Ravenclaw sounded so familiar. I rang my Dad the next morning at work, before I left for college. “Dad, you know the genealogy you were putting together? Have we any relatives called “Ravenclaw”?”

My Dad’s voice boomed back down the line, reassuring and strong and unmagical. “Hello Lauren, and nice to hear from you too. I was telling you about the Ravenclaw branch only a few months ago. Remember? Seems to have been a musical family. I was telling you that you might have inherited your musical abilities from them. They were a Scottish family that are first documented in a parish church in Kilbride.”

Relief washed over me. I had been attracted to the name Ravenclaw because I had heard it before, not because I had suddenly become obsessed with the name. I was related to Rowena Ravenclaw. At least, in all probability I was. I asked him without much hope, “Are there any Rowena Ravenclaws?”

Surprisingly he answered, “Funny you should say that. The name does run in the family. The Ravenclaws died out, but the last Rowena married a Bartram, and they continued the name for a few generations after that. Then we have all the Emilys and Elizabeths. Why did you want to know? I thought you weren’t interested in my research?”

“I’m sorry Dad, I get lost when you start quoting numbers or parish records.” I crossed my fingers behind my back out of habit. “I just found a Siegfried Ravenclaw, and wondered if he could be related.”

I could practically hear my father thinking down the phone line. “It does ring a bell, but I’m afraid I can’t remember. I’ll have to look it up tonight when I get home. I’ll give you a ring. Everything going all right your end Lauren? You sound a bit out of sorts.”

“No, everything is fine,” I reassured him. “In fact I finally got a date with Ben Stranger.”

“Oh crikey, here we go,” my father groaned. “Not the Ben you have been blathering on about non-stop for the last umpteen years?”

I smiled smugly. “The very same! He thinks I have beautiful eyes.”

There was a pause, and then my father said, “I don’t think I want to hear this Lauren. I was hoping you would have an unavailable crush on him until you were sixty and then marry a hard working decent guy and have lots of kids.”

“I love you too Dad. Tell Mum will you? She’ll find it exciting. I won’t be able to call tonight, because I’m going to a concert, but I will call again when I can.”

“Haven’t you run out of money yet?”

I laughed. “Close, but not quite. Hopefully not for a while. I am usually too busy working to spend any, and there are loads of ways of getting concert tickets free if you know the right people.”

“That’s my girl, that’s what I like to hear. Listen darling, I have to go now. Say “hi” to Hermione for us will you, and don’t let Ben do anything I would have done at his age will you?” That made me giggle.

“Love you Dad. Speak to you soon.”

I was enormously cheered by this conversation, enough to eat breakfast, which I normally don’t. Hermione is always on at me about that, saying that it isn’t healthy, but I am really not a morning person. However, today I was feeling heaps better, and ready to believe that all my fears were groundless, so I got out a packet of chocolate digestives and munched on them while I drank coffee. The snuffbox incident was certainly odd, but stranger things happen. And Ben had not pumped me about Harry really. It was just that he was worried about Harry being a rival. After all, he had been perfectly upfront about asking. And I would just simply ask about the tattoo. After all, I supposed I was his girlfriend now, and it would be natural for me to ask about a college rumor.

After that I would have practiced at home until my first class, which wasn’t until midday, but out of consideration for our downstairs neighbor who was a nurse on night duty who slept during the day, I caught the tube in to college.

I got out the Ravenclaw again, and spent some time on it. I found it even more exciting now that I knew she really might be a distant relative. In fact, I was still practicing when Katy burst in on me.

“I could tell it was you by the tone of that cello. We’re going to be late for orchestration. Why don’t you ever look at your watch?”

Well, I like that! I was hardly my fault she was going to be late, but I didn’t say anything. Katy was like that. I packed up my cello in double quick time, and we hared off to our class. I actually like orchestration, and so it was an agreeable hour, followed by a harmony class, and then my piano lesson, which I don’t like so much. I love my cello, but am required to take a second instrument. As far as I can see it, any time I spend practicing the piano takes away from my cello time, and so I am the despair of my piano teacher.

After that, I went down to see if I could get a practice room, but even though we have hundreds, they were all occupied. You have to get here early to get a practice room. Ben was playing away, and I thought of interrupting him, but I know what I am like when I am interrupted in the middle of practice, so I didn’t. On my way back down the corridor however, he caught sight of me through the glass, and called me in.

I opened the door, and immediately knocked a music stand flying with my cello case, but he didn’t seem to mind. He picked up the music stand saying amiably; “I see I will have to protect my viola while you are around,” and then he kissed me good morning. Now, without my worries of last night, I was able to respond more enthusiastically, and he opened his eyes. “Wow. You pack a punch today Lauren.” He stepped back again to look at me. “You even look different. Are you having a good day?”

I sat down in a chair happily. “I am. I hope you are.”

“Well, I am now!” Ben rearranged the music stands. “You know the rule; no fraternizing in practice rooms, and Weatherby has been prowling by to check. Have you got anything for viola and cello? Because I have.” He looked a bit smug. He had obviously been doing some research in his spare time, and it made me feel all gooey on the inside. He whipped out some Hindemith, and I tuned up and sat down.

“I have just realized why you wear long skirts all the time!” Ben exclaimed as I positioned my cello. “Because you need them to play the cello.” I looked at him, puzzled, and he reddened.

“I was wondering if you ever showcased your legs,” he explained. “You have really long legs, but nobody ever gets to see them because of the skirts.”

I blushed vividly. Actually, because I am so clumsy, my legs are usually bruised and I have scars on my knees, but maybe one day I would put on tights to disguise that and wear a short skirt when we went out. My legs were nicely shaped after all. I kind of liked the fact that he wanted to see them too.

I left him guessing, and we started work on the Hindemith. Playing with Ben was exhilarating. It was so much fun, it was with reluctance that I looked at my watch. I didn’t want to stop, but Jian Wang was playing the Brahms Double with Gil Shaham, and I had a ticket and didn’t want to miss it.

“I have to go to a concert.”

Ben looked up. “Don’t say you are going to the Brahms at the South Bank?”

I nodded, and he leapt up enthusiastically. “So’m I. We can go together. How about stopping at a café for something to eat? I’m starving. Where are you going to leave your cello? In the cloakroom?”

I stopped him, a little red in the face. “I don’t know about the café, Ben. It is my turn to pay, and I would really like to, but I don’t have much money right now.”

He stopped in his tracks for a moment as if I had hit him, and turned amazed eyes onto me. “I wouldn’t let you pay Lauren! I worked all summer as a life guard, and I am rolling in it “ at least until the end of term, whereupon I’ll have to live upon my wits, but I certainly don’t take a girl out and expect her to pay.”

It was the most positively bird-witted point of view if I had ever come across one. I pointed that out to him, and he grinned, but insisted he was going to pay. I agreed in the end, as he was starting to be annoyed, but rather uneasily. I am used to paying my own way. He insisted on carrying my cello again, and again it felt odd. This time he agreed to let me carry his viola though, so I felt a bit better about it. We held hands all the way there.

The café was fun, and Ben and I got on so well I completely forgot all my fears of the night before.

He kissed me again as he dropped me off at the tube after the concert, and I realized on the way home that I hadn’t even thought about my quest all day. I felt a little guilty as I remembered how I was going to ask Ben about the tattoo. Oh well. I would see him tomorrow, and today had been too good to spoil, Voldemort or no Voldemort.

Hermione wasn’t around when I got home, so I made some Earl Grey tea, found a banana and some stuffed grape leaves and took them up to bed with a book on Music Theory and read for a bit before falling into a deep untroubled sleep.
Chapter 4: Tattoos by Buckbeak22
The next morning found me in a good mood again. It is amazing what love can do. I hoped I would see Ben again, but I had a very full day. I bolted off for college, noting that Hermione had come back last night after I had gone to bed; her coat was over mine on the rack. So I didn't even have to worry about Hermione.

After practice and two lectures in the morning, I had quartet practice. Janna had really worked on the Mendelssohn, and everyone had worked hard on the Ravenclaw. We polished that a lot, as there were some passages that were very tricky to keep together, but it was very rewarding, and even energizing. He hadn't really marked dynamics much, so everyone had an invigorating argument about how the music was to be played. It was getting on for mid afternoon when we realized that Samuel and Jenna were late for their violin sectional, and they had to pack in a tearing hurry and sprint away.

I kept the practice room, because James was going to the library, and I did a lot of work on both the Shostakovich and Ravenclaw before my lesson.

My teacher was quite pleased, although a little put out that I had done more work on the Ravenclaw than my Shostakovich. He liked it very much though, and suggested several alterations in fingering which really helped. He said it would make a good solo piece, standing alone as it did without orchestral accompaniment. I asked him when he thought it would have been written, but he laughed at my idea that it could have been a melody composed in medieval times. Even the basic melody, without further arrangement would have been too complicated for that era. I was silent, but the idea that the work was actually Rowena�s and unedited was gripping me more and more.

I met Ben as I left my lesson. He had been waiting outside. He kissed me and asked, �What was that you were playing in there?�

I answered, because I had thought of a perfectly innocent, non Death Eater reason to be interested in Ravenclaws. �Rowena Ravenclaw. Well, it is an anonymous arrangement of a melody she was thought to have composed.� I stopped for a moment as Ben seemed to have paled a little under his tan, and then carried on, �I was interested when I saw the name, as my father has been doing some research and we have Ravenclaws in the family tree. When I saw the book in the library, it seemed like fate. Why? Is something wrong?�

He took the snuffbox out of his pocket. �I�ve been carrying this around with me. Sort of reminds me of you. Here, look inside the lid.�

Inside the lid was engraved �Rowena Ravenclaw, 1786.� So. I had been wrong. Not the Rowena Ravenclaw, but one of her descendants � she must have had a brother or two for the name to come down. The girl in this picture could be one of my great, great, great etc. grandmothers. I grinned. �There you are. She is probably a very many great grandmother of mine. Hence the resemblance. Ben � do you really feel all right?�

�Actually no,� he admitted. �I haven�t eaten today. Do you want to hit the cafeteria?� He tried to take my cello, but I was resolute in carrying it. He looked as if he were about to pass out. We went to the cafeteria, and I sat him down at a table with the instruments and went to forage. I got him a ham salad sandwich, a cup of soup, a banana and a piece of carrot cake, and I got myself a banana to keep him company. I could probably have done with something myself, but I was on a pretty strict budget. However the prices here weren�t that bad, so I picked up two coffees as well.

Ben still looked pale when I got back to the table, but he started to look better after the coffee and a sandwich. He was starting to remind me of Hermione�s Ron with his fixation on food, but his table manners were a whole lot better. He let me share the carrot cake.

I knew he was feeling better when he said, �I shouldn�t have let you pay for all of this.�

�Don�t be silly,� I argued. �You want me to go through all your money before I go through mine? You can treat me next time.�

I gave him back his snuffbox, which I had slipped into my pocket. He passed it back. �You should keep it. Family heirloom.� I hesitated, but I really wanted the box.

�Are you sure?�

He grinned. �I have the original. You can give me a photo. It�ll be easier to put in my wallet.�

�Thank you very much.� I was touched, and absurdly pleased that he wanted a photo of me to carry around. �You should have waited until Christmas.�

�Nah. Get you something else.� We smiled at each other, and then he sprang up. �Got any time to work on the Hindemith? Or I could accompany you on the piano. Unlike you I can actually play the piano quite well.� I smiled a little guiltily. My teacher had obviously been talking to her other students.

We went downstairs and I gathered the courage to ask about the tattoo. To my surprise Ben went a deep scarlet. �Yes, I do have a tattoo, and no, you aren�t seeing it.�

�Oh go on! How bad can it be?�

He grimaced. �Pretty bad. My cousin took me out and got me smashed and I woke up the next morning with a naked bird on my arm. My mother just about went crazy. Even worse is what is written underneath her, and no, I am not showing you, even if you pay me. I am going to have it taken off just as soon as I can. My cousin thought it was hilarious until my mum told him he was going to have to pay to have it taken off.� He grinned at the thought. �So he is saving for the operation.�

I had to laugh, but no amount of coaxing would get him to tell me what was written underneath his naked lady.

So that was another problem solved. Now I only had to find out that there was nothing else that could link Voldemort to a piece of music, and then we could write the potential music Horcrux off our list.

Ben and I played until quite late, and then he asked if I wanted to go back to his place, (which I did, of course), but I had so much undone reading that I reluctantly said I should go home. This time we caught the tube together until we reached Notting Hill, and then he carried on while I rushed off to the Central line.

I didn�t have any classes the next morning, and for some reason I woke up dreadfully early again so I got up, made some coffee, found the rest of the chocolate digestives and caught up on some reading. We hadn�t found anything of Rowena Ravenclaw�s that Voldemort might have used as a Horcrux, except for the music. The others were all certain that there was something from at least three of the Founders of Hogwarts. I had been working at the kitchen table for a bit when Hermione came in, bleary eyed and wrapped in her old pink dressing gown and helped herself to coffee.

She yawned. �You are obscenely cheerful for this time in the morning.�

I looked up. �I haven�t caught you for a while. Did you get Helga�s cup?�

Hermione sat down. �Last night. I think I am going to die young.� She laid her head down on the table. I moved the butter, got up and popped some bread in the toaster.

�Tell me about it. I�ll make you toast.�

�I don�t want toast. I want to be put in refrigeration until everything is over�

I opened the fridge and took out the jam. �No, sorry. The fridge won�t hold you. You�ll have to settle for toast and some good news.�

She picked her head up off the table in time to see me inhaling the last of the digestives. �Good news sounds better than toast.� She looked disapproving. �You should eat something healthy for breakfast, not just biscuits.�

�Biscuits are easier, and I like them.� To divert her, I carried some pictures I had blown up over to her and laid them down on the table in front of her.

�You know those portraits of the Four Founders that you found in that old book?�

She nodded, propping her head up on her hand to study the pictures. As she did, her eyes opened wide.

�Well, I waited until each person walked out of their picture, and then scanned them into the machine. Look what was behind their portraits.�

Behind Hufflepuff there was a mantel, upon which the little silver cup could be seen. What looked like the locket was in a jewel case behind Salazar, and on the wall behind Godric Gryffindor hung a hunting horn and jeweled sword. Then my favourite: behind Rowena, usually hidden by her skirts, a viola de gamba leaning against a chair which had some sheet music and a quill on it. At least, in those times it should have been a viola de gamba, but it looked like a modern cello to me.

Hermione�s eyes widened, and she picked up the printouts.

�You waited until they had left the portraits and then found these in the background?� She grinned. �I always knew I picked the right study partner. Even I never thought of that.�

I smiled smugly. �Could be a breakthrough. Then you would have Marvelo�s ring, the diary, the silver cup, the locket, the horn and the viola de gamba. Perhaps Nagini is not a Horcrux as we thought after all. After all, Voldemort was able to control a basilisk, so why not a snake? Or maybe the instrument or the horn was not used. Of course, it could be just coincidence, but it is worth looking into, don�t you think?�

I buttered her toast, and slathered on strawberry jam. �Here.� I pushed the plate in front of her, and she started to eat mechanically, still thinking, but she looked awake, and happy, which she hadn�t earlier. I topped up her mug with coffee.

She leaned back and stretched happily. �Lauren, I love you! This has made my day. It does seem very likely. I can hardly wait to show the boys.�

�It might not be the answer,� I warned her. �And even if it is, we only know bits and pieces. I have the Ravenclaw music, but the instrument might be key. I am puzzled about the instrument anyway � viola de gambas weren�t really around in the medieval era, let alone cellos. They must have been very advanced in the magical world.�

Hermione shrugged. �The Wizarding world doesn�t really seem to run consecutively with the Muggle world all the time,� she pointed out �After all, in the medieval era there weren�t that many schools either. Even Eton wasn�t founded until King Henry the VIII, so Hogwarts was a very advanced school at that time.�

I took her word for it. She was probably right; it was the sort of thing she always knew.

I checked my watch. �I have to leave soon, but I suppose I am looking for an old viola de gamba? I will check our library to see if I can find anything.�

Hermione yawned. �Well, I�ll update you on the cup when you get back tonight. I don�t feel like rehashing it right now. How come you are going in so early? You don�t have orchestra until this afternoon.�

�Well, I haven�t done any real practice for ages.�

�Do it here,� Hermione suggested. Esm� is on days now, and I quite like hearing your practice in the background. Then you are around if I need to ask you something.�

That decided me. If my practice session was going to be interrupted if I stayed, I needed to be at college. �No, I have some stuff to do as well. Besides, I need to pop into the library. Give my best to Harry and Ron.�

Hermione frowned. �Well, I would if I were speaking to Ron.�

I definitely had to go. If there was another ongoing Hermione/Ron argument, I was going to be out of the house. I grabbed my cello and my bag with the disgusting Horcrux book that I had decided to pursue further, and fled. I pitied Harry having to take the flack, but he was probably inured to it by now, and I wasn�t. Evasive action always works.

It was only nine o�clock when I arrived at college, so there were tons of rooms open, and I fitted myself into one of them quite happily, and worked on both my pieces and some exercises I had been neglecting for the Ravenclaw. Halfway through the morning, Ben knocked on the window, but seeing my automatic glare, he backed off and I heard him tuning up down the hallway.

When I broke for lunch, I went to find him. I wasn�t sure how he would react after my giving him the evil eye, but I wasn�t about to feel guilty about it. My cello had really been suffering with all the Horcrux work and eating out with Ben that I had been doing, and I needed the practice.

Ben was playing with his back to the window, and I stood outside and watched him dreamily, admiring his thick brown hair and golden viola sound, until he turned around with the unerring instinct of someone who feels himself being watched. He opened the door, and I was going to start apologizing for glaring at him, but he started apologizing for interrupting me earlier first. Anyway, we ended up going to lunch together, and then on to orchestra, where I saw Alex for the first time in ages. He was moodily picking at a hangnail and it transpired he wasn�t speaking to Katy, so I guess it wasn�t the best day for romance.

During the ten-minute interval we had, Alex wanted to tell me all his grievances, and took my trying to maintain some sort of neutral ground as a personal insult so he ignored me pointedly for the rest of practice. After practice, I saw Katy looking over at me, obviously intending to come and give me her side of the story and enlist my sympathy. I packed my cello with the speed of long practice, and hared out of the hall, practically bowling John the sockless horn player over in the process. Since he called after me with a lewd comment (brass players always feel they have to act like beer-drinking Neanderthals) I felt perfectly justified in not stopping to apologize, which meant I cleared the hall before Katy had finished packing her reeds.

***********************

Over the next few weeks, Alex and Katy made up, and resumed their natural state of revoltingness. After a quarrel they go through a couple of weeks where it gets very wearing, before they are normal enough to suffer willingly. I didn�t mind quite so much as I usually did, because now I had Ben, and felt quite smugly revolting myself. Both Ben and I are more introverted than Alex and Katie though, so I don�t think we were quite as bad.

I had a lot to do, with the Horcrux searches and college and dating Ben. My cello comes first with me, and so poor Ben complained that he was suffering, but I know it was good for his viola practice, as he sometimes practiced in the room next to mine if I was adamant that I couldn�t go out. I also searched quite unsuccessfully for ancient viola de gambas, taking quite a few Saturdays to haul Ben around various music museums, a fate that (since he hadn�t a clue what I was looking for) he endured in a resigned sort of way. To be honest, I was beginning to lose interest a bit, although I still practiced the Ravenclaw piece diligently. After all, it was unlikely that I would find anything, seeing as I was a Muggle, and I began helping Hermione to look for references to Godric Gryffindor�s hunting horn in various old manuscripts instead when I could spare time from my practice.

It wasn�t until another orchestral rehearsal that my thoughts unwillingly resumed another direction. For once the cellos had very little to do, and Alex and I were mostly counting rests. At least, I was; Alex was unraveling the cuff of a new cream sweater to get it shabby - the way he liked it - and yawning occasionally. Katy had finally agreed to move in with him, and he wasn�t getting much sleep. Our conductor wasn�t particularly good or attentive, and so Alex, who was bored, when he caught Ben looking at me, slipped me a note.

�What is Ben�s tattoo?�

I lost count of my bars, and just then the cellos came in, and our mostly inattentive conductor suddenly got a burst of conscience, noticed us and glared. I was huffy with Alex when we got our usual ten-minute rest, but he thought it was funny.

�Give it a break Lauren! It won�t kill you to have made a mistake � it isn�t as if you are leading the cellos after all. What is Ben�s tattoo? It must be bad, it has been short sleeve weather for ages now, and he is still covered up.�

�So are you!� I snapped grumpily. It was true, but then even during the heat of summer Alex wore sweaters. He even wore sweaters the one time he and Katy had been to the beach. They had photographs of her wearing a teeny tiny bikini, and Alex with his arm around her wearing a ratty dark green sweater and long swimming trunks. He never went into the water, so he never took his sweater off, but I think he would have swum in it if he had to.

Alex saw I was in one of my moods, so he teased me deliberately about Ben�s tattoo until I got up to go and talk to Katy, which was exactly when our conductor came back to resume the second half of rehearsal, at which he sniggered. Honestly I don�t see how Katy puts up with him.

However he had brought up the matter of the tattoo again, which I had forgotten. It was funny that Ben hadn�t shown it to any of the other �lads� in the orchestra. There were quite a few who would have appreciated it. And some of the rumors going around had to be worse than the real thing. Alex had reminded me that nobody had seen it; which did seem a bit odd.

After orchestra, I met Ben, as I usually did. I had been going to suggest to Alex and Katy that we went out together to the nearby pub. Ben didn�t exactly interact with Alex and Katy, and was rather distant when we went out together. I wished he would get to know them properly, as I was sure if he made a bit of an effort that they would get on very well. However since I wasn�t speaking to Alex, there wasn�t much point. Ben and I went for a stroll in Regents Park instead.

Ben looked over. �Cold?�

�No. It isn�t cold. I just wish��

�What?�

I wished he would show me his tattoo. Just to remove any lingering doubts. But I couldn�t ask him. I knew he would just be annoyed and say no anyway. It was enough to make one pout.

�Can we just sit on the grass for a while and watch the water?�

Ben laughed. �If you want. It isn�t very clean though. I would offer you my coat to sit on, but I am not wearing one.�

�It�s quite warm. Why don�t you offer me your sweater?�

Ben gave me a funny look. �It isn�t that hot. Come, we�ll find a place without any rubbish. Here � this isn�t bad.�

He noticed my pout and pulled me to him, whispering in my ear, �Now, you don�t think I�d like my naked lady out in public would you?�

I suppose I hadn�t been that subtle.

We sat very close together by the lake. Ben smelled fantastic, and I could tell from the way he nuzzled into my hair that he felt the same way about me. How could I think such awful horrible thoughts about my terrific boyfriend? I leaned my head back against his, and we murmured the kind of nonsense to each other that is interspersed with kisses.

It was getting dark, and I hadn�t done anything on my viola de gamba search, and I wasn�t going to be able to do anything much now today. I felt a pricking of guilt. Finding the Horcruxes was more important than sitting on the grass making out with Ben. Reluctantly I said I should go home. �My flat mate is waiting for me this evening. We were going to do some work together.�

�You never mention her.� Ben�s voice sounded suspicious. I shrugged. So far I had managed to keep any references to a flat mate to, �the girl who shares with me� and I had never invited him back. I had never been invited back to his place either although I knew he shared with his cousin. We always went out.

�It isn�t a man, if that is what you are thinking. You know, I told you. Her name is Herm�.�

Ben leant forward. �I�m sorry, I didn�t catch that?�

I told you my brain doesn�t work very fast. I was still running on Shakespeare. �Hermia. Sorry � I swallowed at the wrong time.�

Ben pulled me to my feet. �And what does Hermia do?� At my puzzled expression, he reminded me, �You said you were working together.�

�Oh�we�re doing a jigsaw puzzle.� A jigsaw puzzle??? Where had that come from? It obviously startled Ben, who all but stood there with his mouth open. I gathered my wits and my dignity. �I know it sounds odd, but we do that most Fridays. Have a girls� night in with a bottle of wine and a pizza and put in a bit of work on a puzzle. I have been neglecting her for you.�

Ben�s expression said that I really needed to get out more. �I see,� he said politely. I could see that putting a jigsaw puzzle over his company was a bit hard for him to swallow. I tried to back track a little.

�I would have told her I couldn�t make it tonight, but you didn�t say anything about going out, so�� I trailed away.

�Well, can�t I come back with you and help? I am quite good at jigsaw puzzles. At least, I used to be, back in kindergarten.�

�No! No, definitely not.� I realized I had sounded a bit sharp. �It is supposed to be a girls night only. I would have to ask Her..mia,� I coughed, �Before I brought you back with me. How about next Friday instead? Unless you want to do something else?� Which I devoutly hoped he would. I couldn�t see Hermione being crazy about being called Hermia and doing jigsaws all evening instead of working on the Horcrux search. Also it would be a bit difficult to get the flat tidied of everything that shouldn�t be seen.

�Well, we�ll see.� I couldn�t see his expression in the dusk, but Ben sounded disappointed. �I suppose I had better see you back to the tube.�

�I�m sorry.� And I meant it. �What about tomorrow? Do you want to do something?�

Ben looked a bit more cheerful. �Well, they are doing Wozzeck at the English National Opera, and I have standing passes. Do you want to go to that? They have some good viola bits. We could wander around the old bookshops around Trafalgar Square first or perhaps grab something to eat at Covent Garden. I have a weakness for the baked potatoes there, and then we could wander on down to the theater.�

Him and his stomach. I arranged to meet him at the market in the later afternoon, and went home, my heart singing. I was only half way back home when the doubts began to creep in. Hermione hadn�t told me not to use her name, but it was unusual. For some reason, I didn�t trust Ben enough to given him Hermione�s name. And it was the wretched tattoo business. If only I could get a look at that tattoo! And what a mess I had managed to get myself into. Now he would be expecting to do jigsaws of all things next Friday, unless I told him �Hermia� wanted to keep it girls only. I sighed heavily. I would ask Hermione the best thing to do.

Ben couldn�t be a Death Eater. Death Eaters were purebloods and there was no way one would contemplate going out with a Muggle. When I looked into his eyes, I saw genuine affection. He really liked me. I thrust the doubts to the back of my mind, and recalled his last kiss, which kept me pleasantly occupied until I got home, and found the others waiting for me. I was late.

Harry and Ron were waving their wands on the sofa, working through a pile of what I had come to recognize as Defensive Curses books, and Hermione was barely visible between towers of fusty smelling tomes.

�Hey, nice one!� Ron greeted me, waving his hand toward the pictures I had printed off a few weeks earlier. They had been Spellotaped to the wall for a while now. Harry grinned, and nodded.

�Looks like you may have been right. Hermione found a reference to �the Ancient and Aweful Objects� that the founders possessed. It is hinted that they may all come from Atlantis or something. The horn and cup are mentioned, and also the �Instrumente of Rowene� which is a �Special Magic� and �Of Great Unusuallness for the Age�. The locket is not specifically referred to as a locket, but as a �Chain of Great and Unusual Value.� The painting of it is really detailed though � you could almost pick it up.�

�Well, I drew another blank at finding the viola de gamba today,� I said. I wasn�t really telling that much of a lie, but I felt my face redden anyway. It went over Ron�s head, but Harry and Hermione both shot me second glances. �Well, I didn�t really have time to look,� I confessed, as Hermione looked at me suspiciously.

She nodded, but looked faintly disappointed, which made me feel even guiltier. I took out the Horcrux book from my bag (I hadn�t so much as glanced at it today) and took it over to the table by Hermione. I couldn�t repress a shudder at the disgusting feel of it, and the familiar feel of nausea overcame me, before I sternly took myself in hand.

Hermione looked over at me sharply. �What is the matter?�

I grimaced. �Just this book. It makes me feel very sick.�

I was unprepared for their reaction. Harry was at my side in a couple of seconds, only beating Ron because Ron tripped over the coffee table. Hermione had promptly knocked over a tower, and was extinguished beneath a shower of books.

�I thought you looked at this,� Harry said accusingly to Hermione, picking up the book.

�I did!�

�Hang on mate, no use blaming anybody. Lets have a decko then.� Ron took the book from Harry. �Looks OK to me.� He ran his wand over it.

�Well, it feels all slimy and rotten,� I protested. Both Ron and Harry looked at me, and then at the book again.

�Maybe it has a Muggle repelling charm?� suggested Hermione. �I didn�t think of that. I was just looking for curses.�

Harry whipped open a slim volume that lay half buried underneath Hermione�s fallen tower, and flipped through it. �Here we go.� He read some words out, and waved his wand over the book. Immediately it shone orange. All three of them looked at me.

�What?�

�Are you sure you can�t do magic?� asked Hermione. �It has a Muggle repelling charm on it.�

I knew I couldn�t. I knew quite a lot of magic now, from watching the three work, and I must admit that once when Hermione had dashed out of the room, leaving her wand on the table, I had tried a couple of things with no success.

�Well, it disgusts me,� I pointed out. �I only made myself pick it up because I saw the word �Horcrux� on it. Otherwise I wouldn�t have touched it if you had paid me.�

Harry whistled. �Well, we�d be in trouble if all Muggles were as strong-willed as you. Theoretically you shouldn�t have been able to touch this. Here, I�ll take over this book, and you can try these. Ginny found them misfiled at Hogwarts and owled them to us.�

I felt quite smug at being called strong willed, but I was relieved not to have to deal with that slimy book any more. I took the books that Harry held out. They all dealt with musical instruments, and one ancient crumbling manuscript had �Rowena Ravenclaw� on the flyleaf.

�Fair trade?� asked Harry. �There aren�t any pictures of the instruments, but you�ll recognize any description better than I would.�

I hardly heard him, because I had already plunged into the book, which was fascinating. I only just heard Ron mutter something about bloody women and their books before I couldn�t have heard anything more if I had tried.

That was a late night. Since I was the only person with a credit card, I phoned out for Chinese. Harry found the Horcrux book as fascinating as I had, and Ron managed to transform the side table into a boat and back. Hermione sniffed and pointed out that he wasn�t able to tell if it was waterproof or not in the middle of someone�s living room, so I knew they weren�t speaking again.

Just after midnight, I found the description of Rowena�s viola de gamba. It was a four stringed instrument, and from the description it sounded remarkably like a modern cello. It also had the music that I had found in the library in a very old fashioned form on the page. I couldn�t make much sense of the old music notation, but this was a magical book, so I assumed one would be able to listen to it. I called Ron over as Harry and Hermione were both reading. He obligingly got out his wand and started the music for me. The sound of the viola de gamba flowed out into the room. Only it didn�t sound like a medieval instrument. It was rich and full-blooded.

Hermione peered around her columns, which by this time looked like they were ceiling props.

�What is that? I thought you were playing.�

Harry�s glasses fell off and he shot upright. So he hadn�t been reading after all! He had the grace to look shamefaced as he yawned and groped for his glasses again.

I listened and was thrilled. The piece was note for note exactly the way I had learned it, with some variations in tempo and dynamics. So it was a very good candidate for a Horcrux. But would Voldemort have just used the tune, or would he have found the original instrument? And if it had just been the tune, what instrument would he have used? Would it be the viola de gamba in the picture?

Hermione and I had an animated discussion, and then I noticed Harry was asleep again, so we broke up the conference, as it were. We went upstairs and threw down some blankets and the boys stayed over. I rather wondered where Ron was going to sleep, since Harry was still sprawled on the sofa, but I didn�t let it bother me. He was Hermione�s problem and I was tired.
Chapter 5: An Interesting Conversation by Buckbeak22
Chapter 5

I slept in the next morning, and then, when I heard the boys actually pouring out tea downstairs, I got up and joined them in my pajamas. Ron was grumbling about Harry snoring. I had wondered who had been snoring.

Hermione came down dressed looking efficient and wide awake, and told Ron off for tilting his chair backwards. He took no notice of her, and I met Harry’s eyes and he rolled his. Still not talking apparently.

Hermione rather sniffily got out some eggs, at the sight of which Ron decided to mend his fences, and put all his chair legs on the ground, so by the time breakfast was over, everyone was talking, and Ron and Hermione were holding hands under the table.

I disappeared upstairs to do my cello practice, and then I met the others at a late lunch, still in my pajamas. I worked a lot on the Ravenclaw, as I had noticed some articulation in her performance that I wanted to be able to reproduce.

That afternoon I worked very hard on both my cello and the internet and books that by now carpeted, wall-papered and served as tables in our living room, to try to trace the viola de gamba that had once belonged to Rowena. By the time I needed to get ready to meet Ben, there had been so many owl deliveries, I am sure the neighbors thought we were illegally importing foreign birds, and there was really nowhere to walk properly.

I remembered that I was going to impress Ben with my legs, so I pulled out my box of concert tights and yelled down to Hermione that I was going to borrow her black skirt, since I didn’t actually own any short ones myself. I am a lot taller than Hermione, but I am also fairly skinny, so we wear the same size. Usually I mind being so skinny, as Hermione is a really lovely shape, with hips and breasts and a waist whereas I look like a Daddy Long Legs and move like one too. However, a rather loose aqua silk jumper concealed the lack of breasts (I hoped) and I did have good legs when the bruises were covered. I had a rose and aqua scarf that I tied around my neck (for some reason I feel naked if my neck isn’t covered).

I tried on my concert heels, and then remembered that we were going to be walking a fair distance, so I got out my flats. Besides, heels make me feel obscenely tall.

Then, since there was still time, I did up my hair. Only in a ponytail, but since I never do anything with it, I thought I looked quite different. I didn’t feel up to experimenting with makeup, and didn’t own any anyhow, but just the short skirt and ponytail made me feel daring. I know; I am so square.

I got halfway down the stairs, met Hermione coming up and she collared me and took me back up to her room, where she got out her makeup. The funny thing about Hermione is that she is such a studious sort of girl, you wouldn’t think she would know about makeup and things like that, but believe me there is not much she doesn’t know about. I looked like a model when she had finished with me. I couldn’t quite believe it was me. And my hair was twisted into a sort of complicated bun thing. She did that with her wand though, not her hairbrush. She assured me it wouldn’t fall out.

The reaction I got from Ron and Harry was very gratifying, and I posed for them and walked down a pretend catwalk until I tripped over a book and laddered my tights. However, if you are clumsy, having a witch as a friend is a huge asset. Hermione not only mended the ladder, she Vanished the blood that would have formed into yet another war wound, and made my tights ladder resistant. This is probably the most useful Magical trick that I had found so far. Any of us Muggles who could patent that would be a billionaire.

By this time, of course, I was late, so I had to rush. I was nearly twenty minutes late meeting poor Ben, and he was standing patiently by one of the chocolate machines munching some Bournville. The good thing about meeting people in inner London, is that there are so often tube delays, people don’t mind waiting that much, and there are always chocolate machines.

I got pretty much the same reaction from Ben as I had from Ron and Harry, as I always wore my long gipsy skirts when I went out with him. The going-out ones are nicer than the ones I wear every day, but they do look sort of the same. I started off our date feeling like Cinderella.

Then things got complicated again. We had found the hot chocolate shop that Alex and Katy had told me about, and were talking over large white mugs of really good chocolate about our families. Ben leaned back.

“I think my cousin knows your flat mate.”

“Really?” I was intrigued.

“Yes. They went to the same school. Didn’t you say her name was Hermione Granger?”

My mouth opened. I hadn’t said anything of the sort. But anyone who went to school with Hermione was bound to be a witch or wizard, surely? I floundered for a few seconds and then went for complete ignorance.

“No, sorry, you must be mistaken. My flat mate is Hermia. It is probably the Shakespearian reference that confused you. But where did you come up with Granger? Her surname is Stephens.” I widened my eyes at him in an expression that I hoped looked innocent.

Ben shrugged. “Oh well, Hermia, Hermione. I couldn’t remember which one it was.”

I looked at him uncertainly. Did he know something? Was he a wizard? Was he playing a cat and mouse game with me? Nonchalantly I asked, “Was this the same cousin who got you tattooed?”

There was definitely a flicker in his eye. “The same.”

I licked cream off my spoon, thinking furiously. “Where does he go to school anyway? Or is he another musician?”

Ben snorted. “Not a musician. He went to school up north.”

I’d hoped for a clue, but hadn’t really got one. Hogwarts was ‘up north’ but then half the country was, from London. “So if he isn’t a musician, what does he do?” I asked still trying for an innocent tone. “Art?”

Ben shrugged. “Oh, just the usual. He hasn’t started his apprenticeship yet. He is taking a year off.” I wondered what ‘the usual’ was, but the word “apprenticeship” was ringing alarm bells. How many Muggles were apprenticed nowadays? I searched around for questions that wouldn’t sound nosy.

“So are any of your family musicians?” I asked.

“My father. He studied Medieval music at the Royal College “ what - ?”

I had just spilled my hot chocolate over Hermione’s black skirt. Also, I now had a nice dark chocolate stain down my favourite sweater. Blast. I made matters worse with a napkin. Now I had a huge chocolate stain over nearly all my sweater.

We had to finish up quickly and I dashed over to the nearest little shop that sold clothes and bought an enormous men’s silk shirt in green, as that was the cheapest they had in the store. We went to the nearest pub for me to put it on.

I looked at myself in the small mirror in the pub loos. I looked better than usual I supposed but still, what an idiot!

I tried to shove my sweater into my bag, but of course I was only carrying a little one. With deep regret I binned it instead, and went back out to meet Ben.

We trotted down to Trafalgar Square, and got into the Opera with loads of time. With standing passes, you wait at the back, and then if there are any seats, you can go and grab them. So Ben and I agreed on which seats we were going to beat the other standing students for, and waited until the lights went out. There were actually quite a few seats left: Wozzeck is not everybody’s cup of tea. “The moon is bloo-dy” sort of sums the whole thing up really. I do like opera, but I prefer it to be upbeat. However, it was interesting to see the stage setting and hear the orchestra and pick it to pieces during the interval and afterwards. I teased Ben by telling him I couldn’t hear violas and that it was obviously the cellos that had the themes he was talking about. He believed that I meant it for a while too, and was getting quite wound up until I started to giggle too hard.

We were walking back to the tube when I asked him about his father, in what I hoped was a casual manner. “So. Just before I dumped my hot chocolate down my front, you were telling me about your father. I didn’t realize he was a musician, I thought you said he was an executive. What instrument does he play?”

He looked down at me, and smiled a little. “Oh, he is an executive now, but he pretty much plays every medieval instrument to a fair standard. He has a viola de gamba that you would like.”

He was tall enough to be walking with his arm around my shoulders and I had mine around his waist. I know he felt me stiffen to attention.

“I would like to see it,” I answered honestly. “Do you think he would show it to me one day?”

“He would like nothing better.” Was there a double meaning in Ben’s words? I looked up at him, a little troubled. He looked rather somber, but when he saw me looking, the lines of his face softened.

“I’ll see if they will offer a meal to two starving students and you can meet my parents. You should like it, seeing as you have a fanatical interest in old instruments,” (I thought guiltily of all those musical museum trips). “The house looks like a museum, and my father acts like the curator.”

We had reached Oxford Circus and we both caught the tube together, and put the people across from us off their meals for the next week, before Ben had to get off at Notting Hill. I suppose, seeing as I suspected him of being a Death Eater I should have been able to resist him, but it wasn’t happening. He had a very addictive mouth.

When I arrived back home, the house was free of books, and Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting around the table eating left-over Chinese food (it was lasting a long time, and I can tell you spells work better than a refrigerator) with a super sized bottle of Coca Cola, which Hermione must have found under my bed, where I had hidden it from her. She tends to look at it sideways because she thinks I would be better off with spring water, but I notice she is far more indulgent with Ron and Harry!

I joined them, and reported on my latest conversation with Ben.

All three were adamant. I was not going to go and look at the viola de gamba on my own with Ben. The fact that he obviously knew Hermione’s name was very suspect. I had never mentioned her to Katy or Alex, and they were the people I talked to mostly at college, so he had not got the name from them.

Ron summed it up brilliantly. “Either he is a wizard, or his cousin is. He either suspects you might be a wizard, or knows you are a Muggle. A tough one. His name is Ben “ Ben what?”

“Stranger,” I supplied.

Ron carried on, “We don’t know anyone at college of that name. Hang on “‘m thinking.” He grinned and said “Funny “ isn’t Stranger a bit like Lestranger?”

Hermione sat up suddenly. “Rabastan. Didn’t Rodolphus Lestrange have a brother named Rabastan? Was he married? You’re right, Ron. Do you think he could be a Lestrange? After all, I have been looking up wizarding colleges of music, and there aren’t any. Most wizard musicians are apprenticed, but perhaps to get a more comprehensive education they have to attend Muggle colleges.”

I had heard of the Lestranges. They were the ones who tortured somebody’s parents into insanity. Suddenly I didn’t feel like eating any more, and I put down my prawn crackers.

“Not Ben’s father. He may be a wizard, but I am sure Ben is not a Death Eater, and I don’t think his family can be either. He knows far too much about Muggles, and he is really nice!” I thought of the way we had snuggled on the way back on the tube. “He can’t be a Death Eater. He really likes me.”

“Maybe he is acting,” suggested Ron, and looked aggrieved when Hermione elbowed him. “What? What did I say? She has to have thought of that.”

I shrugged. Of course I had. But I didn’t believe it. Or was it that I didn’t want to believe it?

“Would a Death Eater snog a Muggle?” I asked.

All three of them looked at me. “You’ve been snogging?” Ron asked. Hermione rolled her eyes.

“It was a reasonable question,” Ron said, the aggrieved note back in his voice. “After all, she was wondering if he was a Death Eater. I might think twice about snogging you if I thought you were a Death Eater.” He thought a minute and said reluctantly, “Actually, no, I probably wouldn’t.”

“Yes you would,” said Hermione immediately, obvioulsy miffed. “It took you long enough to make up your mind to kiss me in the first place. If I had been a Death Eater as well, you probably would still be making up your mind.”

Ron sat up. “I did not! You just made it plain that you preferred older Quidditch players. So I cut my losses.”

Hermione reddened, and said primly, “If you are talking about why you started dating Lavender, I hadn’t seen Victor for ages, and I hadn’t even been out to visit him! And even after you broke up with Lavender and I had made it perfectly plain that I wasn’t even writing to Victor any more, it took you almost a year to notice me.”

“I noticed you much sooner, only you developed that habit of running out of the room and galloping after Harry if you were so much as left alone with me for a second. I wasn’t about to grab you out from behind Harry’s back…”

”I was shy!”

Ron gaped at her. “That’s about the silliest thing I have ever heard Hermione Granger say. How could you be shy? I’d only known you for…”

I threw a pillow at him, which stopped him talking mid sentence.

“Can you and Hermione stop arguing? It might be quite scintillating foreplay for you, but Harry and I are bored to tears.”

Harry gave a shout of laughter at the look on Ron’s face, and my best friend was blushing so hard it was amazing she didn’t set fire to her hair. But at least they were reined in. If they had an unlimited amount of time, I am sure Hermione and Ron would be able to argue for that long. I think it is their way of trying to keep love at a manageable level, so that they don’t rush off and get married and start having babies straight away. When they argue, Harry usually morphs into a sort of trancelike state where he goes cross-eyed, gazes vaguely at the ceiling and thinks his own thoughts. Sometimes he blows up at them, but he knows I get annoyed more quickly, so when I’m there he just waits for me to stop them. It makes his life easier.

“I was asking if Ben would go so far as to kiss a Muggle in the course of Death Eater duty?” I reiterated.

“Does he know you are a Muggle for certain though?” asked Hermione. “If he is a wizard, and if he is a Death Eater. We aren’t sure, you know - at this point it is pure speculation. All we know for certain is that he has a connection to the wizarding world. Which might just be his cousin. Lots of wizards have Muggle relations.”

“He’s a man,” Ron added fairly. “And you aren’t that bad looking, I suppose.”

I didn’t know whether to be annoyed (since I thought I looked pretty darn good right now) or laugh, and Hermione pretended to bash her head on the table.

“What?” Ron asked again and looked over to Harry for some male support. Harry hid determinedly behind a book, and refused to look up.

Hermione looked at me. “I apologize for Ron,” she said. “You look stunning; don’t listen to him.”

Ron opened his mouth, but I think Harry kicked him under the table, because he shut it again and looked a bit sulky. A far wiser course of action in my opinion. Whatever he said he would probably get him into trouble with either Hermione or me.

Harry leapt into the breach before Ron and Hermione could start up again.

“The bottom line is we suspect that Ben might be a Lestrange. We need to do some research. Ron, you owl Ginny, and see if she can talk to McGonagall tomorrow morning. She’ll probably know. If she doesn’t, we have to proceed on the assumption that he is a Death Eater, whatever anybody’s private opinion. It simply wouldn’t be safe for you to go there on your own, Lauren. Even if you were a witch it could be desperately dangerous.

“On the other hand, I think you will have to go. I doubt I would be able to identify one particular old instrument from another if there are loads lying around. Ben said the place was like a museum, right?

“So. We need to get into the house and get the whatzit thingy by ourselves, and we need to do it before you are invited around. We need his parent’s address, but you mustn’t ask for it. I think you have given enough away already…”

He saw my face, and hastened to add, “Not that it is your fault. I think he may have seen us when we came to that last concert of yours. Not that I want to appear big headed or anything, but my scar is quite well known in the Wizarding world.”

“That’s right!” Ron broke in. “He didn’t ask you out until the concert afterwards, did he?”

I tried not to let my feelings show on my face, but wasn’t successful. Ron said, “I’m sorry,” before Hermione had even opened her mouth.

Harry closed the book he was still holding sympathetically. “I’m sorry too Lauren, but you are important, and we have to think of everything.”

Why was I important? I wondered. Probably because I had read that stupid book, and everyone was convinced I was right, and I was going to have to steal that priceless viola de gamba from Ben’s father and play the stupid piece, because none of the others would be able to. And I would have been wrong. It would have been the wrong viola de gamba, and the wrong piece, and why I hadn’t left well alone, I would never know. I had never stolen anything before in my whole life. Except the library book, and I fully intended to return that one day. It wasn't breaking into someone's house and stealing a precious instrument.

I stared down at my hands. I didn’t really believe that I was wrong. However much I wanted not to believe it, I couldn’t help myself. I knew I was right. We had to get that viola de gamba and play the piece so that the Horcrux inside it could be destroyed. It seemed strange that Voldemort would have entrusted his secret to even one of his most ardent admirers, but then I knew all about Obliviation and things like that. Magicians can erase memories, which must be useful. I was willing to bet that Ben’s father had played the Ravenclaw on the instrument and that Voldemort had used that for the Horcrux.

Which worked in our favour. The Lestrange family (if that is who they were) wouldn't know about the Horcrux.

I found my voice. “Well, they should have address records in the Registrar’s office at college.” I said flatly. “One of you will need to deal with that, as the door is always kept locked. It had better be you Hermione. At least you know how to act around Muggles. But we’ll straighten your hair and I’ll plait it in two braids, and you can wear glasses and carry an instrument of some kind. Nobody should recognize you.” I stood up.

“I’m going to bed now. See you all tomorrow.”

I walked upstairs drearily, trailing my fingers along the wall.

My first boyfriend. The most wonderful man I had ever met, or wanted to meet. The boy I had developed a crush on years ago, and still dreamed about every night.

Mechanically I showered and washed the gunk off my face. Brushed my teeth and got into bed. I turned to face the wall.

It wasn’t just that either, although that would have been enough. Here I was, eighteen. The only boy that had ever shown an interest had done so because he wanted something from me. Was I so hideous?

When I got up the next morning, I looked as unlike the fantastic model of last night as it was possible to look. My eyes were swollen, my nose red and my hair was flat again. I could see the beginnings of a spot coming up just underneath my lip. Damn Hermione and her predictions about people who ate chocolate biscuits for breakfast, I thought sourly. I did my best with bathing and cold water, but in the end I gave up and walked downstairs.

Ron and Harry were asleep, and I gave out my breath in a little huff. I had been worried about them the other night: I had forgotten they were wizards. Both of them lay in comfortable looking beds in our living room. From the chinzy look of the thick quilts I could tell the beds had been transformed from our living room sofa and chair.

I stomped into the kitchen, and banged about putting the kettle on. I didn’t feel like being quiet and considerate. I got out a packet of fig rolls, and remembered Hermione’s advice and my spot, and flung them back into the cupboard. Thinking about yogurt only made my mood worse. I wondered if vanilla ice cream would do. After all, ice cream and yogurt were both just solid milk.

Ron entered the kitchen a moment later, stretching and yawning, clad in boxers and T-shirt, followed by Harry. Ron shambled over to the kitchen table and sat down, but Harry, ever the cautious one, looked over at me a little like I was a bomb he thought might go off any minute, and edged nervously back into the living room. “I’ll, er… Just put everything back to normal in here…”

Hermione came into the kitchen, dressed and lovely as always, with her clouds of curls bouncing around her shoulders, and Ron looked up appreciatively.

“Hello darling, I thought I heard you in the shower. Lauren just made coffee, and I was thinking of cooking today. Harry and I shopped yesterday, so I can do bacon and eggs. Tomatoes, mushrooms “ black pudding if you want it.” He patted his knee, and Hermione sat down on it, looking over at me in a worried kind of way. She probably thought I was going to pour coffee over his head. Unless I was cheerful myself, I resented cheerful people in the morning. Especially cheerful people in love.

With great restraint I poured the coffee into four mugs instead. After all, I might be heartbroken, but I was still hungry, and according to Harry and Hermione, Ron cooked like his mother, who was legendary. And then I wouldn’t have to forage for the yogurt I had supposed I would have to eat.

Besides, I had quickly developed a soft spot for Ron. He might be dense about peoples’ feelings, but at least you didn’t have to tread on eggshells around him. And I liked the way he treated Hermione. They were friends first and foremost, but you could see he loved her by the way his eyes rested on her, and the way he teased and argued with her.

However, it did not mean that I was happy about him rubbing his nose along her arm and making kissing noises first thing in the morning.

I sat down at the table, thumping my coffee so much it splashed over the side. “If you are making breakfast, Hermione should probably get off your lap,” I pointed out snippily.

Ron tipped Hermione off his lap and got up gracefully. He was pretty ordinary looking, but he did move with an athletic grace, and had a very good body. Sometimes I could see what Hermione was so keen on, although I was still surprised she didn’t fancy Harry. He was far better looking, and far more sensitive. But I am not a big red hair fan, and she has always had a thing about red hair.

The breakfast was superb, and I gradually started to feel human again, despite the broken heart and early morning. Ron was definitely a good choice on Hermione’s part, and very passably good looking. And there was a chance I was completely wrong, that Ben had a naked lady on his arm, and that we would be in love forever.

After breakfast, I did Hermione’s hair, pulling it straight and parting it down the middle. With two plaits and an old pair of Harry’s glasses, she did indeed look very different. She transfigured a book into something that looked like a clarinet case, and we were ready to set out for the Academy together.

Ron thought Hermione looked hysterical with the straight plaits and glasses, and she got a bit huffy with him. I thought she looked a bit odd myself, but I wasn’t stupid enough to laugh about it. Harry felt the same way as I did. Whenever Hermione faced him, he looked as sober as a judge.

At the last minute Harry dashed upstairs for his invisibility cloak, just in case Hermione got disturbed during her burglary, and we stuffed it into the phony clarinet case, which I was interested to see had words all over the inside.
Chapter 6: A Day at College by Buckbeak22
It was Saturday, and so I wasn’t expecting too many people in college, and especially not Ben, but he was the first person we ran into.



“Lauren! You didn’t tell me you were going to be in today!” His voice was full of pleased surprise. Hermione elbowed me. My look of shocked horror must have been obvious. Ben himself looked taken aback and rather hurt.



“You don’t look pleased to see me,”



Belatedly I plastered a smile onto my face. “Just startled. I was thinking about you, and there you are suddenly!” I sounded stagy; an amateur actress caught unawares, and not sure of her lines.



Ben leant in to kiss me, as kiss as easy and natural as sunshine on water, and as usual, all my coherent thoughts left me apart from the growing conviction that this was certainly not the kiss of a Death Eater. I must be wrong.



We broke apart and he looked over at Hermione. “Hermione! How nice to meet you at last!”



Hermione’s expression didn’t change. She held out her hand. “Hello. You must be Ben. I have heard all about you. I’m Hermia. I share a flat with Lauren.”



Ben raised an eyebrow, and for a fraction of a second, I thought that he looked over her head at somebody. They shook hands a bit formally, and Ben nodded at her case.



“Do you come here too?”



Hermione hesitated. She was not much better than I was at dissembling, and she couldn’t remember what I had told him. I laughed, sounding a little forced.



“Hermia is just here with me today. I was going to show her around.”



“Well, why don’t I come with you?” he asked, smiling at Hermione in a very fake manner and grabbing my hand. “We can do the guided tour, and then I can stand you both a coffee in the canteen.”



I looked at Hermione with consternation. She smiled at me, with a warning look in her eyes. I had known Hermione for years, so I waited.



“No, you two go on,” she gushed in a very un-Hermione like manner. “Three’s a crowd. I’ll just go and find - John “ and give him his clarinet.” She waved the case brightly, with a fake dazzling smile.



Her look to me said plainly that I was to keep Ben well occupied while she looked around. Well, she could hardly go wrong: the registrar’s door was marked in big bold letters. All I had to do was to get Ben to come and practice with me.



I sighed heavily. “Oh well. Have fun. Ben, shall we find a practice room?”



If Ben was amazed at the speed and ease at which I ditched my friend, he didn’t show it. He allowed himself to be swept downstairs, where, for the first time ever, I could not concentrate on my practice. I was wondering what Hermione was doing upstairs, and making some very odd mistakes. My mind jumped like a frightened rabbit.



The kiss had been wonderful. Then he had not believed Hermione when she told him she was Hermia. But if he suspected her, how come he had allowed himself to be taken downstairs? Was there someone else upstairs watching Hermione? Now we were playing, and usually I would have enjoyed myself, but I was actually feeling shaky and rather sick. My bow arm wobbled and Ben stopped playing.



“Is something the matter Lauren? You are not focusing today.”



“I -,” I looked up at him, wishing for the moment that I didn’t have to fence with somebody who was obviously better at it than I was. I probably shouldn’t ask him, but I really wanted to know.



“Why did you ask me out? I mean the real reason.” There. I had said it, and my voice hadn’t trembled “ much. I surreptitiously wiped my damp palms on my skirt.



Ben looked taken aback. “Well, it was your cello playing at first,” he said hesitantly.



I shook my head. “Leave it, if you can’t answer. I am not sure I want to know. Perhaps I should ask instead why you want to keep on seeing me?”



I looked up at him, trying to read the truth in his face, but his eyes had fallen. “Is it because I am useful?” I asked him bluntly.



He looked up at that, with a laugh caught in his throat. “I wouldn’t say you were useful, Lauren! In fact, you have been everything but. We have been out for weeks now, and, since we seem to be talking face to face at last, I still don’t know what you are after. Is it something to do with the Ravenclaw music?”



I felt a little as if he had poured a bucket of cold water over me. I know it had been me who asked first, but still I had not expected him to be quite so direct, or to figure out so much.



“Actually the Ravenclaw was coincidence,” I said cautiously, only giving him part of the truth. “Since I am related to her in a way. I still don’t quite know how, but I know I am somehow. That makes it interesting to me. My father does genealogy.”



“And why is Hermione Granger here at college with you?” asked Ben. His eyes seemed to pierce mine, and I dropped them. I sighed as if weary. “I keep telling you. My friend is not Hermione Granger. She is Hermia. There might be a superficial resemblance, but it ends there.”



There was a silence. I had realized it was probably impossible to deny actually knowing Hermione. He had obviously recognized the three of them somehow when they came to that fateful concert, but with the glasses and plaits I didn’t see how he could be sure that it was Hermione with me today.



I raised my eyes to his, as if in indignation. “Do you really think I would bring Hermione Granger here when I know there is a possibility you or your cousin may be around? Why would she want to visit the Academy anyway?”



Ben shrugged. “You obviously weren’t expecting me to be here today. And Hermione is important. We know she is still in contact with Harry Potter, and I need to know why they are interested in the Academy.” He added with a slight sneer, “That is; Harris. Ron Harris, if you need to carry on your charade? I know you left with him after the last concert.”



He saw me rub my suddenly cold arms, and his mouth twisted in a wry smile. “You don’t need to worry Lauren. You know I would never torture the information out of you.”



My mouth was dry. “Why?”



I met his eyes. He was still wearing that twisted smile as he put down his viola and got up. He came over to me, bent down and kissed me. It was a tender, almost coaxing kiss, very loving, and full of sunshine and warmth.



“You know very well I couldn’t hurt a hair of your head.” He ran a thumb down the side of my face.



I was very confused. Surely Ben could not be a Death Eater? Yet why would he want to keep tabs on Harry Potter? Was he in the Order? Reluctantly I opened my eyes.



“Can you show me your tattoo now?”



Ben shrugged again. “You know what it looks like. Why do you want to see it?”



My mouth was still dry, and my words came out in a whisper. “I need to be quite certain.”



There, in the quiet practice room at the Academy, in the Muggle world, Ben rolled up his sleeve. On his lightly tanned and fairly muscular arm, the Dark Mark burned, the snake swaying from the skull’s mouth.



I felt faint, and a familiar sour taste filled my mouth.



“I’m going to be sick.”



Ben leapt forward, with a plastic bag that he had probably magicked up from somewhere.



I was sick. I had expected that he would leave, but he stayed, muttering a cleaning spell, and then stroking my bent head, probably with a view to restoring my well-being. It just made me feel horribly insecure and terrified. I found it difficult not to shake. After a while, he moved my cello, and knelt down in front of me, so that he could look up at me.



“Lauren. I give you my word you have nothing to be frightened of. You have been told some terrible things about my Lord. None of them are true. All that he wishes is to make the world a better place for magical people to live. To accomplish that, we need to know how Harry Potter is working against us. If you could help us at all, you would have the Dark Lord’s gratitude and a place at his side for as long as you wanted it.” His face glowed with the fervour of his belief.



I felt sicker and sicker as I looked at the boy I had loved for so many years. I know the sweat on my back felt as cold as ice, while my face was flaming. How could he think well of a man who chose for his emblem a skull vomiting up a snake?



“What about Muggles?” I asked, my voice coming out in no more than a whisper. “Where do they figure in his plans?”



Ben took my hands and gently massaged them between his. I know my hands were freezing cold and shaking, because his felt burning hot.



“Lauren, sweetheart, what do you think he is going to do to the Muggles? What have your friends led you to expect?” He rose and sat on the chair next to me, keeping my hands in his. “The Dark Lord is not unkind. They will still have a place in the world. We will allow them to marry and bring up their children. We will keep schools open so that they can be educated. There is much that needs doing for which they will be useful. But we will be able to practice our calling in public. Don’t you wish for that?” He laughed lightly and indulgently.



“I know you have a soft heart. I love you for it. I have seen you with Katy and Alexander. We would not hurt the Muggles you are fond of. After all, of all living things they are the closest to us. They need looking after wisely “ you have seen what they are doing to the world on their own. We need to control them, to set up breeding programs to -”



I was trying not to breathe in gasps. Ben thought I was a witch. He was talking of Katy and Alexander as if they were pets that I had taken a fancy to. I swallowed. There was no way I could tell him that I was a Muggle. It would be desperately dangerous. Yet I could not see how I would be able to keep up the fiction that I was a witch now that we were at last out in the open. There was no way I could ever do magic, and he would find out sooner or later. I made up my mind and raised my head.



“I’m sorry. I don’t know where Harry Potter is. He approached me a few weeks ago for some information, and that is the first time I ever met him or Hermione Granger. And even if I did know where he was, I wouldn’t tell you. You want to kill him, don’t you?”



His bent head said it all. He looked up at me. “Believe me Lauren, if there were any other way…” his words trailed off into silence.



I stood up. Hermione had had long enough now to find the address we needed. My legs felt strange, a bit like overcooked spaghetti. I smiled in a rather strained way. “I suppose you have had my friend followed?”



Ben’s smile was also strained. “And I am supposed to follow you.”



I rolled my eyes. “Suppose I Apparate?”



He shrugged. “Then I suppose I will lose you. It won’t be that difficult to find you again, Lauren. The Dark Lord is not concerned with you at all.”



I started to pack up my cello. “I am not in the mood to practice. I’m “ too cold. How about that coffee you were going to stand me? Does that still “ I mean “ “



“Of course!” Ben stood up and picked up his viola. “Let’s just pack up, and then we’ll go up. I want to introduce you to my cousin anyway, and fill you in on a few things.”



My heart sank. I was in way over my head. I can’t remember ever having felt so helpless in my entire life. “Draco Malfoy?”



Ben smiled. “You are quick Lauren! You will like Draco. He has always been a favourite cousin. Well, he isn’t actually a cousin, but our families are so close we might as well be!”



Seeing that my cello was in its case, he held out his hand to me.



I didn’t take it immediately.



“Lauren?”



His face showed how much he was hurt by my rejection, and part of my heart melted in spite of myself, at his entreating sea blue eyes. I put my hand into his. It did not send tingles down my arm in the way it usually did when I held Ben’s hand. My hands were still freezing, and his hand was strangely comforting, but only because of the warmth, and the assurance that I wasn’t in immediate danger yet.



We left the practice room for the canteen, with my mind teeming with all sorts of implausible ways of getting home alone. The only thing that helped me remain sane was the knowledge that Hermione was used to shimmying out of tight situations. She also had Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak. She was probably going to be all right, so I only had myself to worry about. On no account must I mention the word “Horcrux”, and I must not let Draco Malfoy look into my eyes, as he had been trained in the art of reading thoughts - Legilimency.



I knew that Ben would be mostly in the dark, as Draco would be himself. Lord Voldemort did not trust his nearest and dearest with his plans and ideas. They would certainly not know about the Horcruxes.



We were halfway through a coffee in the canteen, and I was trying to muddle Ben about what Harry and Hermione wanted quite successfully when Draco Malfoy entered. I had never met him, but I knew who he was. His eyes were as gray and cold as pebbles, and his hair platinum silvery gold. He looked as if he had a bad smell under his nose. If he hadn’t looked so psychopathic, he would have been handsome. As it was, I felt gooseflesh cover my arms. He nodded to Ben, who pulled over a chair so that he could sit with us.



Draco nodded at me and slid into his seat, looking around at the people at neighboring tables with a sneer. “You must be Lauren.” His voice was curiously light in timbre, with a sneering sound that reflected the look on his face. “Ben has told us all about you.” His voice sounded as if I definitely did not live up to expectations, and in spite of knowing he was a despicable, cowardly Death Eater, my feminine side was wounded, and I sat up straighter. Ben’s hand tightened on mine, almost as if unconsciously. Draco turned to Ben.



“Didn’t see anybody I knew. That wasn’t Granger with her. She was quite good looking. The Mudblood is frizzy and has buck teeth.”



(Buck teeth? Hermione had won her battle and her parents had straightened her teeth out years ago! I sat up indignantly.)



Draco went on, “She went off and found some boy who called her his “angel”, and I followed them to a practice room where they ended up snogging. Obviously some kind of Muggle slag. Is she going to help us?” He inclined his head toward me.



I tried to make sense of what he was saying, but I couldn’t imagine what boy had miraculously come to our rescue, unless Draco hadn’t recognized Harry or Ron, which seemed a bit incredible. On the other hand, my mind boggled at the thought of Hermione going off and snogging some random boy in a practice room. Of course, Draco Malfoy wouldn’t expect that either. My respect for Hermione grew.



Ben’s hand was clenching mine so hard now, my hand hurt.



“Lauren doesn’t know Potter very well,” he answered for me. “She will try to arrange it. She is seeing him in two weeks to give him a progress report.”



Draco Malfoy shot me an unloving look. “Come on, Ben, you’ve been going out for months “ what is taking so long? People are starting to get impatient.”



Ben gave me an embarrassed look. “Only you and your father. My orders were specifically not to push.”



Draco looked around the hall, his lip curling. “I could almost believe you had become a Muggle lover. How could you stand it, you two? Having to mix with them daily? The stench is just foul.” He leaned his chair back, and put his feet on the table.



Ben looked even more embarrassed. “Actually, Lauren quite likes Muggles,” he admitted, sounding as if he were excusing the foibles of a spoiled child. “There are a couple of them she is quite fond of.”



Draco shot him a disbelieving look, and then looked at me with profound aversion. “I think they should all be put down. Disgusting. They overrun everything.”



He pointed his wand under the table and laughed as a girl slipped and fell, overturning her tray. I knew her slightly and had a great admiration for her, as she was one of the most beautiful people I had ever met, and she was actually nice with it. She was Sally, a flautist. As she lurched to her feet it was obvious her arm was broken, and she had tears in her eyes. Draco smiled, a thin cruel smile, as people rose in consternation and began to crowd around her.



I rose with indignation so furious I could hardly speak. “I think you should take your cousin out of here.” I told Ben. I am going to the Ladies, and when I get back, he had better be gone, or I will tell you sod all about anybody and especially not Potter. Lord Voldemort won’t be pleased with him blowing his cover to get a cheap thrill. Muggles aren’t blind after all, and he is being very stupid. Even a wand puller can get shot through the back of the head if the police are called in. And get him to put that poor girl right!”



I stormed off, expecting a curse from behind any second, but I reached the Ladies unharmed.



As I swung the door open, I got the shock of my life. Something unseen grabbed me around the waist and hurried in after me. Of course it was just Hermione under the Invisibility Cloak, but I had to stifle a scream anyway. You have no idea how unnerving it is to have something that isn’t there touching you.



She took the cloak off once we were in the bathroom. “Thank goodness you thought to go to the Ladies. I wasn’t sure what to do. I didn’t want anyone to see the door opening on its own. We have to Apparate out of here. It was lucky Harry had me bring his cloak; Draco Malfoy has been wandering around all morning like he was on sentry duty or something.”



I was shaking now. I nodded, not feeling very brave at all. Hermione didn’t seem at all put out that my college was infested with Dark Wizards planning to keep us Muggles as pets. She seemed as cool as a cucumber and completely in control of the situation.



I turned to the door. “I need to get my cello.”



Hermione managed to grab my arm before I swung the door open again.



”Lauren, wait! We have to go without your cello.”



I looked at her, my mouth open, finally grasping the whole horror of the situation.



“What do you mean? Of course I have to go back for my cello “ I can’t go without my cello -” I could hear my voice rising hysterically.





Chapter 7: Moving House by Buckbeak22
Hermione was nervous now; I could see it in her eyes. “Lauren. You can’t go back for it. Just think how it would look if you get your cello and try to come back here with it. You can hardly pretend you needed your cello to go to the toilet. It is lucky you brought your bag.”

“You go, I’ll stay. I’ll think of some way to get back home without being followed.”

Hermione shook her head. “I can’t let you Lauren. Draco Malfoy is really dangerous. He isn’t really a killer, but he likes torture. He could make sure you were never able to play the cello again. And he would, once he found you were a Muggle, and you wouldn’t be able to hide it for long. Believe me, Ben might not be so smart as he has lived his life with Muggles, but Draco has never mixed with them. There are all sorts of things that would trip you. You have to come with me.”

I knew she was right, but something inside me that hadn’t broken when Ben showed me his tattoo, went numb. I wouldn’t even be able to look through the door and see my gorgeous cello in its wonderful black case one last time. After a few awful seconds I gulped, and not able to speak, nodded dumbly and Hermione grasped me around the waist.

Then followed the most awful, horrible, terrible experience. I imagine it must be a bit like being born. No wonder babies come out screaming. I was squashed, turned upside down, thrown around and my head felt like it was going to implode. All the while things looked as if they were whirling around everywhere until I was so dizzy that I couldn’t think any more. Just as I was sure I was dead, we landed in our kitchen.

In spite of Hermione’s supporting arm, I fell heavily to the floor and was violently sick. I couldn’t even raise my head off the floor. I heard panicked voices, and a cleaning spell washed over me. I was being rolled over, and someone held my head, which wouldn’t operate on its own. Then someone was pouring a dreadfully bitter draught into my mouth.

Everything snapped into focus. I was lying on the floor, with my head in Harry’s lap, and Hermione was kneeling beside me with a medicine bottle and spoon in her hands. Ron was also kneeling, holding one of my hands and looking down at me. Everyone looked worried, and I tried to speak to reassure them; but slid into blissful darkness instead.

When I next awoke, I was in my own bed, the shadows telling me it was probably late afternoon. I felt fine, apart from emptiness inside. I remembered my cello, turned onto my face and wept.

A few seconds later, Hermione appeared and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Lauren, are you alright? Do you need anything?” She sounded frightened.

“Just my cello.”

I could hear her sigh of relief. Hermione put her hand on my back and rubbed it up and down. It was wonderfully comforting.

“Lauren, I’m sorry about your cello. We talked about Accioing it, but there are too many ways they could jinx the cello. They could track us if we called it here. We will get you a new cello somehow, I promise”.

I didn’t say anything as she was obviously feeling bad enough, but the cello had belonged to my great grandfather, and was irreplaceable. I told myself it was just wood, but the peculiar empty feeling persisted. I nodded instead and sniffled, trying to stop crying enough to be able to speak.

Hermione carried on. “I’m sorry about the Apparition as well. I had never done Side-Along Apparition before, and there are all sorts of different charms you have to perform if you do Apparition with a Muggle too, that I didn’t know about.” She gave a little frustrated sigh. “Ron told me. Sometimes it isn’t easy being Muggleborn. There are so many things that you are assumed to know, which you don’t. We never even learned it in either our Muggle classes at Hogwarts, or our Apparition studies.”

She rubbed my back some more, and her voice got a little gluey, so I could tell she was a bit emotional, if not crying. “I’m so sorry Lauren. I had not idea it would be so bad for you. We have all been worried sick. Please say you’re alright.” Her voice wobbled.

I had stopped crying enough to speak. “Perhaps you could do the charms tonight and attach them to me with a Permanent sticking charm?” I suggested stuffily through my sniffles. “I never want to have to do that again.”

Hermione laughed shakily, and I got up off my face and turned around. She threw her arms around me and hugged hard. “You can’t imagine how horrible it was to see you react so badly Lauren,” she mumbled into my shoulder. “I thought I was responsible for killing my best friend.”

I hugged back. “It was quite horrible enough doing the reacting,” I told her. “I’m not sure I want to imagine it from your side as well. Now, could you do something about my face, please, so I can go down and show the boys that I am still in one piece and in full possession of all my faculties? Well, as much as I ever was, anyway?”

Hermione waved her wand, and I felt my nose shrink back to its normal size and breathing became easy once more. You know how it is when you have been crying.

I still felt shaky when I got up and then, more because it felt psychologically better rather than because I needed to after her wandwork, I went into the bathroom and bathed my face in cold water. I was impressed to see that I looked quite interestingly pale, and had dark circles around my eyes. I practiced a few die away expressions, but reluctantly decided that I had better not use them, or the others would stop me doing any more work on the Horcruxes. I was still dressed in my long blue gipsy skirt and blue cardigan, and I changed them, as in spite of the cleaning spell, they had a faintly sour smell to them.

I smoothed down my long black hair and went to meet the boys. Hermione had told them I was coming down, and they were all sitting around the table with the huge brown teapot (magically enlarged from a small one I owned) steaming in the middle. Both boys jumped to their feet, and Ron held out a big bar of Cadburys. “This works for witches when they have been through the wringer, and we thought it might work for you too.”

“I’m fine.” Actually it was rather nice to have them all so concerned about me. I was still feeling very peculiar about my cello, and everything seemed just a bit unreal. It was a bit like something in me had died. I sat down and unwrapped the chocolate as Hermione poured out tea, and Ron moved over to the oven where delicious things were happening on the stovetop.

“So, what happened?” Harry asked, as soon as I had taken a bit of chocolate. I couldn’t sense any medicinal value from the bar other than the effect chocolate usually had on me, but that was good enough. In my opinion, chocolate is a medical necessity, comfort food and general all around anti depressant, and should never be taken sparingly.

“Ben told me he was a Death Eater,” I said baldly. “He wanted to know where you were, so that they can kill you. He told me Voldemort wasn’t that bad, only he called him the "Dark Lord" in this reverent sort of voice. Oh, and he sort of said I would be allowed to keep Katy and Alex if I let them know where you were. Then he took me up to see Draco, and Draco broke some girls arm, just for fun, and so I bolted for the bathroom, and found Hermione.”

I looked at her. “Come to think of it, he said it wasn’t you. How did you fool him?”

Hermione smiled. “I saw his reflection watching us in the glass door behind you,” she said. “When you left with Ben, I strolled around the corner, and luckily there was a boy coming along, and so I rushed up to him, hissed, “My name is Hermia,” and threw myself into his arms, and kissed him.” She blushed. “I just hoped he would enjoy it and he did - so much so that he dragged me into the nearest practice room and I had great difficulty getting away at all. He was like an octopus. Ugh! Some person named John.”

Ron’s expression was priceless. He obviously didn’t know whether or not to be jealous of John, or proud of Hermione’s quick thinking. He reached out and pulled Hermione to him possessively and she smirked, but stood on tiptoe in spite of the caveman like tactics to give him a lingering kiss that started to linger a bit too long. Harry and I turned our eyes away politely.

From the description, she had to have met John the horn player. He was the only person at college I knew that was gullible enough to believe something like that, and once Hermione had kissed him, he would have been extremely hard to get rid of. No doubt he would be telling everyone tomorrow of the sexy spy he had to cover for and who had been so grateful she had given him her all. It would have been half true, and nobody would believe a word of it.

I had to smile, at the thought of Hermione kissing John (I hoped she had washed her mouth out) but I felt like crying inside. Not only was Ben definitely a Death Eater, I had sacrificed my cello.

Luckily, before I had time to start, Harry dished up some kind of wonderful stew with meltingly fluffy dumplings, and elbowed Hermione and Ron apart. I wondered why we seemed to spend so much money on Chinese, when we had people who could cook like this around the house.

I was starving, seeing as how I had spent a lot of the day throwing up, and so I ate two huge bowlfuls and felt a lot better. I still felt strange though, as if part of me was missing. I told myself that Ben would look after my cello. His Dad might have it at his house, and then we could steal it back when we got Rowena’s viola de gamba. I could take it to college and lock it up there so we couldn’t be traced, and then afterwards, when it was safe again, we could de-curse it (or at least, the others could) and then I would have it back again.

“He must know where I live,” I said suddenly. “He wasn’t worried about being able to find me again. We should move.”

Hermione looked at me, unsure.

I sighed, resigned. “Spit it out. I can see something coming that you think I am not going to like.”

Harry, who had been relegated to the washing up part of the meal, laughed at that. “I wish we could read you that easily Hermione! We’re moving tonight, Lauren.”

Hermione blushed. “And I am afraid it will involve Side Along Apparition again,” she confessed. “But this time I will put the charms on you.”

“Great. You should have warned me. I wouldn’t have had two helpings of stew. And someone,” I added energetically, trying to ignore the persistent throbbing that resounded in my heartstrings like a cello’s lament, “Will need to find me a cello. I have to keep practicing the Ravenclaw.”

Harry looked as pleased as a dog with two tails. “We found one. We are going to stay with Neville Longbottom. His grandmother has an old cello that they have been keeping in the attic.”

Wonderful. Some old decrepit mouldy instrument that some forgotten witch or wizard had played a long time ago, and nobody had touched since. It would have no tone and probably really crappy strings, if it was even still intact and could be tuned. I forced a smile onto my face.

“That’s fantastic!” At least I had two new sets of strings, and pegs and things. All was not lost. I tried to keep my chin up.

After that, Hermione and Ron got out some books and did some wand waving over me. Not all of it inspired me with confidence though, as they did argue a bit while doing it, and I had to break up a snogging session that started over my shoulder of all places. Like I want to be in a Hermione/Ron snog sandwich? No thank you!

I worried about packing, but I had forgotten the wands. When the time came to go, Hermione walked through from room to room, and waved her wand. Things all packed themselves, reminding me irresistibly of Mary Poppins. When we left, the flat was empty, and only the furniture remained. I guessed I would have to write to the landlord and end our lease, which was luckily open ended.

Neville’s “house” was more like a mansion. Apparently it had some of the same kind of wards around it that Hogwarts had, which was one reason we were going there. We had to arrive outside the gates, and then ring to be let in.

The trip wasn’t as bad as the first Side Along I had done, but it wasn’t fun. I was green in the face and feeling sick when a tall, rather anxious looking boy with floppy brown hair, a slight stoop and a nervous air opened the gate. He took one of the boxes from Hermione, dropping it, and apologizing profusely. We trooped inside the gate after him.

Once inside I was formally introduced to Neville Longbottom, whom I knew from many Hogwarts stories. His dropping the box immediately made me think that the stories had probably not been exaggerated. I looked at him very curiously; Ron had once said he would make me look graceful, a rather tactless comment that had put my nose out of joint for about a week, and still rankled from time to time.

Neville could have been extremely handsome if he had stood upright and not looked so worried, but as it was, his manner made one want to be brisk with him to shake him up a little. He practically had a sign up saying "bully me."

Once Neville had led us into the house, he showed us to our rooms, and then downstairs again, where we met his grandmother. She didn’t use the whole house any more, just two rooms, so she said we wouldn’t disturb her at all. She was very nice, especially to me, telling me I was the first Muggle to visit, and that I was very welcome, and to ask if I needed any help at all, as most things worked via magic. She had a fierce look in her eyes for all her kindness, and I could tell she was a formidable old lady. No wonder Neville was worried looking.

It took longer to unpack than pack, and Hermione and I had just sorted out our bathroom things (we were sharing a room and bathroom, thank goodness, because I'd never have been able to turn on a light or switch on the shower left to myself) when Neville knocked on the door.

“I say Lauren. This is the cello. It hasn’t been played for ages, but I guess it is pretty old, so it should be a good one.” (Why do people always think that an instrument must be good if it is old? I have seen the crappiest old instruments.)

He stood kind of hopping from one foot to another, so I asked him if there was anything else he wanted, while I started to open the case. I didn’t hear his answer.

It was a lovely cello. I had forgotten about it being a wizard’s cello. It was still in tune, and the strings were perfect. The bow didn’t even need to be rosined.

After a while, someone touched me on the shoulder, nearly scaring me out of my wits. It was Hermione. She looked amused.

“I don’t think you heard either of us. Neville was wondering if you would play to his plants in the greenhouse sometimes. He has nocturnal and daytime ones. Greenhouses, I mean.”

I looked over at Neville and saw to my pleasure that there was an entirely new look in his brown eyes; one of astonished and pleased respect. He had obviously enjoyed my playing, and Hermione had that kind of proud look on her face that comes when you show off your pet dog’s new tricks.

“I would love to play to your plants,” I told Neville honestly. It would be a far nicer setting playing to plants. I saw myself as a sort of nymph in a forest glade, a fantasy that was a bit dashed when I saw some of the plants, but nice while it lasted. Of course it could just be that they wouldn’t be able to stand me practicing in the house where they could hear me, but I decided to take it as a compliment.

Don’t get me wrong “ I still really missed my cello, but at least I didn’t feel like an amputee any more. I got up and grabbed my music stand. “Well. Where is this greenhouse?”

Both of them looked a bit taken aback, but I hadn’t played all day, so I was firm. Any arrangements would have to be made without me, because I needed to practice. I got my own way, as I usually do about my practice.

Hermione huffed off down to the library to join the boys, and Neville led me outside to what he called the “Nocturnal House” where he made a safe area for me to play, making sure all the carnivorous plants were secured. He put a charm on my stand for me, so that I could see the music while the rest of the greenhouse was left in darkness. He left me a hand bell to ring, which he said would be heard in the house if any of the plants “got me” as he put it. Not very reassuring.

At first it was a bit weird, as when I started playing, there was a sort of whispering rustling sound, which I knew was the plants, but then I lost myself in my playing.

I played for hours, getting used to the cello. It was a very nice overall sound, and I had to admit it was probably on par with my cello, but the sound was more mellow, more suited to ensemble than solo work. I didn’t like it quite as much as mine, but it was not as bad as it could have been.

When I finished and actually looked around, I panicked. While I had been playing, the plants had moved. They were all around me, and there was no path to the door any more. I looked around for the hand bell and found it had been covered in moss, while some sort of ivy was growing up my chair legs and music stand. I stood up in a hurry, and was just about to yell for help, when I saw Neville sitting on a stone table at the side, stroking a funny gray green looking plant “ perhaps the famous Mimbulus Mimbletonia that spouted stink sap. I had heard that story a couple of times, and wondered if I should run now.

Neville put the plant next to him, jumped down from his seat and came over, careful not to tread on any of the plants that were making their way back to their places quite quietly in a well-behaved sort of manner. The hand bell and chair legs were now free. Neville noticed my expression.

“Oh, don’t worry. They were just enjoying it. I think it was a treat for them. I generally leave on the radio for them in the evening, but they liked having their own concert. I came down because I forgot to give you a lantern. Thank you very much for playing here. They thrive on music you know.”

Neville is a very courteous old-fashioned sweetie. Probably trained that way by his grandmother! He lit his wand so that we could see, and carried the cello and my music. He told me that Ron, Hermione and Harry were in bed, but that they had a plan of action for the next day, which they would need to fill me in on, as it involved me. He was very nice about my playing, saying he had been there for over an hour and had just been enjoying it.

“I don’t play anything myself, but I know quite a lot of music, as Gran is always listening to something or other. We go to concerts quite a lot. She has a box at the Royal Opera, and one at the Albert Hall that we can Apparate into. This was her grandfather’s cello. When she heard about your cello, she said at once that you were to have hers to play.”

I didn’t say anything. Words seemed inadequate for the favour she had bestowed upon me. I would need to think of something to show her how grateful I was. I felt a bit guilty for the earlier thoughts I had had regarding the same cello!

Neville handed me the music outside my bedroom door and hesitated.

“You will play some more to the plants won’t you?” he asked earnestly. “They really did enjoy it. I haven’t seen them so lively for a while. The ones who came close are all harmless too; they were just listening. They would be terribly upset to know you had been frightened.” He was leaning forward slightly, almost invading my personal space.

For a second I was taken aback, and almost forgot to breathe. The expression in his eyes was very intense. Then I realized he was attracted to me! I was absurdly flattered, but also confused. I don’t have that many men interested in me, and now was not a good time, as I was pretty sure my heart was irrevocably broken.

I smiled brightly and assured him I would love to play to his plants provided he made sure none of them actually started to grow up my legs. Neville smiled lightly in return, and said goodnight, but I knew that he had seen and recognized the rejection. He squared his shoulders as he walked down the corridor “ which gave him almost two inches added onto his height.

I crawled into bed broken hearted. Even though I wasn’t interested in Neville, I had hurt his feelings. After all, he didn’t know about Ben. I had kept thoughts of Ben at bay all day, but now there were no distractions. I tried desperately not to cry, but sending Neville away seemed to have put the lid on a perfectly disastrous day. No cello (well, alright, I did have a cello, but not MY cello), no wonderful Ben, and being forced to wound Neville all in one day was too much. I curled up into a fetal position, and bit my sheet so that I wouldn’t wake Hermione.
Chapter 8: Visiting The Strangers by Buckbeak22
CHAPTER EIGHT

The next morning, Hermione shook me awake rather crossly.

“Lauren, for goodness sake, this is the third time I’ve tried to get you up. Here.” She pushed a cup of life giving brew into my groggy hand, and stepped back to look at me.

I tried to focus, but it was too early for me.

“Well, you’ve looked better,” she decided crisply. “Are you alright? Not sickening for anything?”

I sipped my tea blearily, a little narked at her tone, considering my whole life had fallen apart yesterday.

“So far, but if you don’t go away and give me at least half an hour to get up in my own way, you won’t be,” I answered nastily.

“Are you going to lie down and shut your eyes again the minute I leave?” Hermione sounded suspicious, and not at all put out by the nasty tone.

I moaned. “Just go away.”

She went, flicking the shower on for me as she went out, and I finished my tea, and got out of bed and padded into the bathroom.

Well, she was right. I was a mess. Tangled black hair and puffy eyes. I looked like a right train wreck, as the mirror kindly informed me. 'Seven years bad luck' I reminded myself as I scowled.

Sighing, I turned the shower knob onto hot, relieved that I could at least adjust the temperature without a wand. Hermione says if you shower too hot, you can get varicose veins when you are older, so she always has the shower lukewarm, but I like it boiling. She calls my showers the lobster pot.

The shower helped a lot. I counted my pros, which was something I had forgotten in my misery last night. There were a couple.

I didn’t have my cello, but I had a good one to practice on.

Neville could hardly have been that interested “ we had only met that afternoon. Perhaps I had even misread his look. Besides, I knew for a fact that he had invited both Hermione and Ginny out, and was close to a girl called Luna. So I didn’t need to be embarrassed meeting him again.

On the other hand, there was no way I could go to quartet practice on Monday.

I tried to make myself believe that Ben would change his Death Eater views once he knew I was a Muggle, but even I wasn’t that optimistic. I had heard the tone in his voice when speaking of how we should be “allowed” an education.

How can one fall in love with something one regards as no higher than an insect? Even a dearly loved dog doesn’t inspire one with passionate adoration and desire to do the tongue tango with said dog. At least in normal people (I put in the caveat myself, remembering that there are some weird people out there.)

Once Ben found out I was a Muggle, he was probably going to feel very sick and revolted.

I was going to cry again, so with a great effort, I pushed Ben out of my mind, and turned my face to the hot spray and my pros list again, which seemed meagre, but I was tired of being miserable, and anyway, I didn't think I had any tears left to cry.

Half an hour later, I trotted downstairs waving a greeting to Harry and Neville who were standing in the hall with another boy who had his back turned to me. My hair was still soaking as I hadn’t found an electrical outlet for my hairdryer, (there was a convenient wand lying on the sink, but of course, it was no use to me) and I was still worried about my cello and upset about Ben, but my mood was determinedly better.

Halfway down the stairs, I noticed that the other boy (who had dark brown hair, I might add) was Ron.

I stumbled, and bumped down the rest of the stairs on my backside, landing at the bottom in an undignified heap with my skirt hiked up around my thighs, at the feet of Ron, Neville and Harry. It bruised my back, hurt my pride worse and embarrassed me to no end. I yelped because of my back, but luckily Hermione came in just then.

The boys had got no further than to stand in stunned amazement goggling down at me and my exposed knickers (luckily nothing too risqué) when she cut efficiently through the group and helped me up, fixing my back, my hair and my torn skirt in what seemed like one wand movement. It is very useful having a witch as a friend, especially one like Hermione. The boys put their eyes back in and shut their mouths.

“We are having an early lunch,” Hermione told me crisply. “We’ll clue you in on what we are going to do while we are eating. Hurry up.”

Well. The sympathy had been very short lived, but from the faces of the other three, I know that they regarded my sleeping in as slacking, even though I had been up until the wee hours practicing. However, since I had not just been practicing the Ravenclaw, perhaps they regarded that as slacking too. I know Hermione has a sneaking suspicion that I use cello practice as a convenient way to avoid doing things that I should be doing, but that really isn’t true. If you want to be a cellist, you need to put in the practice, and practicing is more important than anything else that needs to be done, like paying bills and turning off the potatoes.

I caught sight of the clock. It was past twelve. Perhaps I had overslept just a little. I could feel guilt replace the injured expression on my face. It is very annoying having an expressive face.

The table was set for five. Obviously Neville was joining us. A tiny little house elf trotted in with plates covered in sandwiches and bowls of crisps and a few apple tarts on an enormous tray and proceeded to unload it onto the table. It (I have difficulty in determining the sexes) then trotted down the hall with another full tray, obviously for Mrs. Longbottom. I know my eyes lit up and I sat down feeling hungry.

Harry sat opposite me. “We’ve been up for hours,” he said reproachfully.

I made a face at him. “Well, bully for you. I was practicing last night. I got to bed late.” I undid my serviette and slid it onto my lap. The Longbottoms dined in style even when it was only sandwiches.

Hermione leant forward. “Stop bickering you two.”

Well, I liked that! We weren’t bickering so as you’d notice anyway, and the way she and Ron carried on you’d think Harry and I were entitled to a bit of a spat now and again. She went on.

“We haven’t much time. Listen Lauren. We need you to go to the Strangers’ with Ron this afternoon.”

For a second my mouth hung open. I hadn’t expected anything to happen this soon.

Then, in spite of myself, my nerves exploded out of me in a high-pitched laugh a little like a whinny. I don’t do well under stress. I shut my mouth hurriedly, blushing like a tomato as the boys looked at me in surprise. Hermione was used to me, and didn’t turn a hair.

“We found out from a contact that both Mr. and Mrs. Stranger will be at a meeting this afternoon. Are you going to be up to it Lauren? We need to do this as soon as possible, before they figure out what it is that we need, if they haven't already.”

I nodded dumbly. If I opened my mouth now, nothing would escape but hysterical laughter. It made sense, but it was still a shock to have this pressed upon me before I had even downed one cup of coffee. I looked around. In fact there was no coffee available. Since we were eating lunch, there was only orange juice on the table. I saw Neville nod at the hovering house elf and jerk his head in my direction.

Hermione reached out and took my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “You have to be sure you can do this Lauren, because we can’t go in unless you really are ready.”

Her eyes were anxious, and I knew she was worried because of all I had been through the day before. I do tend to get very emotional, and it does affect my behavior sometimes. Hermione calls it “living in alt” and tells me it is because I am an artist. People expect me to be temperamental, and most of the time I enjoy the license to have tantrums whenever I like, but because I have lived up to my reputation a little, people don’t realize that I can actually be calm and restrained when I need to be.

I squeezed her hand back, and took mine away to pick up my coffee, which had magically appeared at my elbow. “What exactly am I agreeing to?” My voice was almost normal. Only a little wobble of laughter. I didn’t dare smile at Neville or the house elf to thank them for the coffee. The most I could do, without making myself laugh was to sort of twitch my features at them. Neville looked most surprised.

“You and Ron have to go in to the house and get the viola de gamba. Harry is going with you, in his invisibility cloak, and Neville has promised to stay here as a contact all day in case we need him.”

I glanced over at Neville again and saw he looked a little doleful. Obviously he knew that the others were being kind in including him at all, and were giving him the job in which he was least likely to do any damage. Then it struck me.

“Ron’s dyed his hair so that he won’t be recognized! Brilliant. He looks totally different. That is why I fell downstairs.”

“Well, I hope I don’t have that effect on everyone,” Ron grinned. “I’m not used to people flinging themselves downstairs to prostrate themselves at my feet.”

That finished me and made me giggle outright. Hermione frowned Ron down.

“Lauren, you have to be careful. If we thought for one minute we would recognize the thing when we saw it, - Listen to me Lauren! - you wouldn’t be going. I don’t think they are expecting us however, and with them out and Harry and Ron - Lauren! - Harry and Ron with you, you should be safe enough. If anything happens, you are to turn and run. I’m serious!”

Unfortunately once I had started giggling, I found her stern tone hilarious. By now my eyes were streaming with the effort of trying to stop.

Giggles are something I have trouble with just before a solo performance too. It is a manifestation of stage fright that is very irritating to everyone else, but makes me feel twice as alive. Hermione knows that it can take a while to stop me once I get started, and occasionally I have even managed to start her off, although she is not much of a giggler. Now she looked at me in alarm.

I managed with difficulty to rein myself in, although my voice shook a bit. Harry was looking at me in a mystified way, although both Neville and Ron had sympathetic grins.

“Alright, I understand. I am such a law-abiding person I am having great difficulty in believing that we are going to do a spot of h-house breaking this afternoon. What if we are all wrong, and they haven’t got the r-right instrument? Or if it isn’t there?”

Neville (who had been on the receiving end of Hermione’s frown), Harry and Hermione all pretended to ignore the huge snort I gave here as a huge gust of laughter threatened to escape me, but Ron grinned more widely. I hurriedly turned my eyes away from him, and tried to think of sad things.

“We’ll go from there,” Harry said cautiously, obviously hoping I wasn’t going to break out laughing. I managed not to, although it was difficult because Harry looked so intense. I managed to get my voice under control again, although I knew my lips were still twitching.

“How do I g-get in touch if we d-do get sep-arated?”

Hermione answered in a dampening tone, calculated to squash me. “I just charged our cell phones. I am going to give mine to Neville, and I have shown him how to operate it. You shouldn’t need it though. If anything happens, we are going to get you out first. I am going to check that all your charms are still working before you go, so that we can do Side Along Apparition at any time, and if anything happens, and you can’t do that, Ron will be able to get you out and you just run to the nearest tube. I did you a map, but you won’t need it. It is just two streets away. Once you are in there, any wizard is going to have trouble finding you.”

I was dubious about this. I know the Wizarding and Muggle communities don’t usually mix, but I knew that Ben used the tube. However, I didn’t mention it. At the most, it sounded extremely unlikely that I would have to use that as an escape route anyway. I was also a little uneasy about it being Neville on the other end of the cell phone, and not Hermione. He didn’t really inspire the same sort of confidence especially after all the stories I had heard! However, the upside was that this made me stop wanting to laugh.

But I couldn’t ask Hermione to man the phone. Hermione would need to set up the place to unlock the Horcrux. The spellwork needed to extract the Horcrux from the music was very complicated. I know that was why it was Hermione doing it and not one of the boys! I would have to play the Ravenclaw as soon as I got back, before anyone figured out how to stop us.

After lunch, and a little bit of practice for me, Hermione gave us last minute instructions.

Ron and I were to go down there on the bus in a very normal way, acting like a courting couple. Ron was wearing jeans and a sweater, with no robe, and Hermione had done my hair in a French Plait, and I wore makeup and large hoop earrings. I was also wearing jeans and a long coat, so I didn’t look anything like myself. If I saw anyone I recognized I was supposed to pretend to snog Ron to keep my face hidden. If Ron hadn’t been attached to Hermione I might not have minded, but snogging your best friend’s boyfriend? Ugh! However, it was her idea.

I looked over at Ron, and saw he had the same sort of look on his face that I did, which made us both laugh. Hermione sighed in exasperation. “Oh come on you two! It is called acting, and actors do it all the time. You don’t have to stick your tongue down her throat Ron. Just keep your faces hidden. Your hair and clothes make you look very different.” I wasn’t entirely sure if I was complimented by the fact that she obviously trusted me and Ron, or insulted!

She hugged me. “Be very careful, and watch out!” Then she hugged Ron, and they sort of fused passionately together in a way that almost looked like it should be censored, before she tore herself away, and mouthed, “Good luck!”

Harry joined us, wearing his invisibility cloak, which wasn’t a good thing.

The bus was crowded at first, and Harry, to keep the cloak on, had to sit on my lap, or he would have been found. It was very uncomfortable, because Harry has a very bony bottom, and it was a good thing Ron and I didn’t see anyone we knew, because it would have been very difficult to kiss Ron as per instructions around an invisible Harry. Why he chose my lap to sit on, I will never know. Ron has a far bigger lap. By the time there was a spare seat I had terrible pins and needles.

The bus dropped us nearly outside the door, and Harry ran on ahead to the house to get rid of the wards, while Ron and I dawdled along, holding hands, and trying to look like a Muggle couple out for a walk. I think we did quite well, although holding hands felt very weird. We loitered along until we saw the door of the house we needed drift open, as if by itself, and then we picked up the pace a little, and trying to look as if we belonged, we walked up the short path, and into the house.

Harry was to stand by the door to guard us, and stop people getting in.

It was definitely a wizard’s house. From the outside, it looked like an ordinary house. There was a confusing moment or two, when you seemed to walk into a small living room with a stuffed sofa and some carpeted stairs, and then it all changed into marble tiles, widened, and there was an enormous foyer, almost like a hotel’s, except that there was no reception desk. There was a lovely fountain in the middle, with cascading water.

Here Ron became very irritating and bossy. He wouldn’t let me look at the fountain, and he wouldn’t let me out of his sight, and so we couldn’t divide up to search. And we had to search the house, believe you me. In an ordinary semi detached, you would have found the thing within minutes, be it ever so cleverly hidden.

Here there was a huge music room, with rows of lovely antique instruments, and then several chambers branching off it, with different collections. I could see why Hermione, Ron and Harry needed me. There were so many instruments even I wondered if I could find Rowena’s instrument among them. Most of the viola de gambas (and there were more than any museum even has a right to) were lined in a glass case that stretched along one wall. None were tagged; Ben’s father must have a wonderful memory to be able to remember all the instruments. There would probably be a filing cabinet, or magical filing system of some sort. I set Ron to look for it, as he would be more likely to recognize such a thing, while I prowled along the instruments looking at them.

Rowena’s wasn’t among them, and we went into several chambers, before I knew I had spotted the right one.

It was in a little round two-door chamber, in a lighted niche that held an old framed script with a few glass shelves below. These contained some fine shells, a jar of different coloured sands and an old flute and some wooden pieces that looked as if they had been washed up on a beach somewhere. The viola de gamba (which looked far more like a modern cello, so from now on I am calling it a cello) was supported at an angle in a cello rest just in front of the shelves. An old script, framed above the shelves proclaimed the items belonged to an Admiral Bertram (from my father’s genealogy lessons I remembered that the Ravenclaws married the Bertrams), but I knew that he had inherited the cello from Rowena. Everything matched the descriptions given, and it had those same curious F holes that hers had in the picture.

I called Ron, who was looking over some old bagpipes with interest (very helpful to our mission, not), and showed him. “This is the one. You had better check for wards, or whatever. And we had better find something to carry it in.”

Ron started his wand waving, while I went back into the main room to fetch a case that I thought would fit. When I came back, Ron was grinning from ear to ear, and had the cello and bow in his hands.

”Don’t touch the bow hair!” I squeaked automatically, and he jumped, alarmed.

“Here. I don’t know what I’m doing. You put it away.” He handed it to me, and I slid it into the case, which Ron promptly shrank, so that I could put it into my pocket. I must say magic is so useful it makes me envious sometimes.

With the light hearts of successful conspirators, we turned to go out, only to find that the doorways were occupied.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=64712