Janey Weasley-Springs; My Mother by Pussycat123
Summary: Fifth in the Janey Weasley series – and this time we hear from Janey’s middle child, Tillie.
She is eleven years old. Her sister, Day, is fifteen, and she also has a seven-year-old brother called Nicky. Due to leave for Hogwarts at the end of the summer, Tillie is utterly perplexed. She can’t imagine life without her sweet, innocent (it seems) little brother to look after, or her carefree, happy mother to look up to. But as the inevitable grows closer, Tillie will soon have to accept that time will wait for no one ... Note: Don’t worry, I haven’t cheated you out of Janey’s wedding – all will be revealed!

Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6199 Read: 2000 Published: 03/28/07 Updated: 04/06/07

1. Janey Weasley-Springs; My Mother by Pussycat123

Janey Weasley-Springs; My Mother by Pussycat123
AN: Welcome to the fifth instalment of the Janey Weasley series. Kindly remember that the world of Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling, although all the OCs in the Janey series belong to me (although the Weasley family does not).

Mrs Janey Weasley-Springs; My Mother



I wake up to the sound of screaming. What on Earth could be happening now? I sit up quickly, and try to determine whose voice it is. Not Nicky’s, his is much more whiny. I feel a wave of relief “ at least my baby brother is okay (all right, he’s seven, not a baby, but that doesn’t stop him acting like one). Could it be my big sister, Day’s? No, that’s not right, she’s too regal and sophisticated to be screaming “ and, as I glance at my alarm clock, it’s too early for her to be awake. It’s not Dad, he’ll be at work by now, and it’s far too girly for that.

Which leaves my mother. The screaming stops.

“Oh my gosh, Annie, are you serious?” I hear her screech. But it sounds a happy screech. That’s okay then. I consider staying in bed some more, but I’m too awake for that now.

“I’m serious,” Annie says from downstairs. I wonder if Day has any plans today? She promised she’d take me and Nicky into the village today ... we’ve been wanting to go all week and look around some of the little shops and things. The thing is, Mum says, Day (short for Daisy, by the way, but she can’t stand that name) is fifteen now, and she has other plans a lot of the time, with her friends rather than her brother and sister.

“When did you find out?” Mum asks Annie. The thing is, although Day is glamorously fifteen, I’m only eleven, and I don’t have any friends who I can do stuff like that with. I prefer to stay in with Nicky and have fun with him. That’s why I want to go into the village so badly “ it will be a change of scenery for him.

“Just yesterday,” Annie replies to Mum. I wonder if Nicky is awake yet? I should go check he’s okay ... normally he comes and finds me in the morning, not the other way around. Just where is he, anyway? Day says I worry unnecessarily, but I don’t. Although ... well, what if something has happened to him? What if he was kidnapped in the middle of the night, and nobody knows yet ...?

“I’m so happy for you guys ... so what will you do now?” Mum asks Annie. I leave my bedroom and pad across the hall to Nicky’s room, imagining all sorts of horrible situations involving, robbers, murderers, and horrific diseases. Gently, I push open the door to his room.

“Well ... we’ll be getting married!” I hear Annie say, and Mum gives another little scream of delight. Married? She must mean her and Uncle David. They’re practically married anyway, they just apparently “never got round to it”. Dad says this is typical of both of them. Well, I’ll find out why in a minute. That’s if Nicky isn’t dead or worse ...

“That’s so great! Wait ‘til everybody hears this ...” Mum is saying to Annie. My eyes are squeezed shut, in fear of what I’m about to see in this room ...

“I know! I can’t wait!” Annie squeals. My eyes snap open. Nicky is sitting in the middle of his floor, constructing a house out of these tiny lego bricks that Dad says he used to play with when he was young. They’re a Muggle thing, you see.

“Nicky!” I cry, falling on my knees and hugging him. “Are you okay? Where were you?”

“Here,” he replies innocently. “I was making a house.”

“Why didn’t you come and find me?”

He shrugs. “Distracted. You wanna help?”

I smile and shake my head. “Nah ... let’s go get some breakfast ... Annie’s here! And she has news!”

“News?” asks Nicky as we stand up and head downstairs and into the kitchen.

I conceal an excited smile. “News,” I reply, firmly.

It is an organised mess, as always. There is a strong smell of fried breakfasts, coffee, and flowers, which is a strange mix, but perfectly normal for this time of day. Mum is in casual jeans and a t-shirt, with her mass of hair scraped back in a messy bun. She is leaning against the work surface cradling a mug of coffee in her hands. Annie is sitting at the table with a similar mug, but her long blonde hair is loose, and casually perfect, as always. Her robes are much smarter, and she is evidently just popping in on her way to work (she’s a secretary at the jokeshop business Mum is a senior partner of).

“Hi kids!” Annie says brightly.

“Do you want me to rustle up some breakfast?” Mum asks, picking Nicky up and giving him a squeeze, before settling him back down on the floor.

“Please, please, please, please, please!” Nicky chants.

“So you two ... guess what my big news is!” Annie says, picking Nicky up and sitting him on her lap. He’s treated like such a baby, because he’s small and cute, and people love him.

I pretend not to know. “Um ...” I say, “Are you going on holiday?” I blink, dumbly. I catch Mum’s eye and she winks, obviously seeing straight through me. But Nicky and Annie are oblivious.

“Oooh, yeah, to the seaside!” Nicky claps his hands excitedly.

“Nope,” Annie says, shaking her head. “Even better!”

Nicky looks appalled at the idea that there could be something better. “An ice cream factory?” he asks, and looks mortally wounded when we laugh.

“Even better than that,” Mum says, and hands him a plate of boiled egg and soldiers.

“I’m stumped,” Nicky says, with an element of pride in his voice at knowing such a grown up phrase.

“I’m having a baby!” Annie squeals.

Wait ... I don’t remember hearing that! Although, now that I think about it, Mum was screaming in delight before she found out that Annie and Uncle David were getting married ...

“And before that, me and your Uncle David are getting married!” Annie says, delightedly.

“Congratulations,” I tell her.

“Yeah, congratu-wotsit,” Nicky says, a little down trodden.

“What’s wrong?” Mum asks him, and hands me my own plate of boiled egg and soldiers. I deftly cut the top off my egg, and pick up the first soldier.

“Well ... I’d rather go to an ice cream factory,” Nicky says, glumly.

“I suppose weddings and babies aren’t quite as exciting for little boys, are they?” asks Annie, not to anyone in particular. Nicky shakes his head. “But ... there might be ice cream at the wedding,” she tells him. He looks satisfied with this.

“Hey, Mum ...” he says thoughtfully. “How are babies actually made? Because Dad said that Uncle David and Annie were unlikely ever to have kids, because they’re too irresponsible and any children would end up “”

“Yes, well, your father isn’t always right,” Mum says, interrupting him loudly.

“End up, what, Nicky?” Annie asks, glancing up at Mum, with her head in her hands.

“I don’t remember,” Nicky says. I notice that he is far too convincing for it to be normal for a seven year old. If it wasn’t obvious by his previous comment that he remembered, we probably would have believed him. Maybe he isn’t quite as innocent as he appears ...? “But how are babies made?” he asks again.

Annie immediately starts coughing, and Mum appears to be thinking very fast. “Ask your Dad, later,” she says, and then chuckles to herself at the thought.

“Hey, Mum,” I say, a thought occurring. “What was your wedding like?”

Mum smiles happily. “Oh, it was wonderful. A Spring wedding, Grandma Molly made it clear that that would be her dream come true.”

Grandma Molly is actually my Great-Grandma, but we call her Grandma Molly anyway.

“You know what?” Mum says, a little excitedly. “How would you like to attend it? I could get the Pensieve, you could get your sister, we could all go!”

“Not me, I’m off to work,” Annie says, downing the last of her coffee. “See you later, kids, and Janey, I’ll see you at one!” Because it is the summer holidays, Mum stays at home in the mornings, before going into work after lunchtime. We usually have a couple of hours on our own, before Dad comes back at around three (he’s a cook, but it’s only part time in the summer, like Mum).

I don’t stay to see Annie go, but instead I gabble my goodbyes and rush upstairs to Day’s bedroom. She is asleep when I tiptoe in, her dark ginger hair spread elegantly across the pillow. My own hair, which is shorter, straighter (for hers is loosely yet still stylishly curled) and dark brown, is always a horrible mess of tangles in the morning. Nicky’s, by the way, is long for a boy, and a pale blonde. You’d never guess that any of us were siblings, but I’m quite sure we are.

“Hey, Day,” I hiss. “Day!” I poke her a little, impatiently.

“Shurrup and go ‘way, Till,” she mumbles, rolling over. My name is not Till, it is Tillie, short for Matilda, though in Merlin’s name I can’t think what possessed my parents to do such a thing. Just as Day can’t stand Daisy, I can’t abide Matilda. If you ask me, young Nicolas got off lightly.

“But Day,” I protest. “We’re going in the Pensieve!”

There is silence. All three of us adore a trip in the Pensieve, even though one of us acts too mature for such riff-raff. It was a wedding present, apparently, from Uncle’s Fred and George. Mum says they told her to use it to develop her “commercial enterprising ideas”, but, although she does occasionally run ideas past it, mostly she puts memories of good times in there. But it’s not often we are invited along.

“What to see?” Day asks, cracking one eye open.

I grin, saving the best until last. “Mum and Dad’s wedding!”

She rolls over onto one side so that she is facing me properly. “What’s brought this on?” she asks, hiding the excitement in her voice.

I beam, puffing out my chest with pride at being the bearer of such news. “Annie’s pregnant!”

Day rolls over onto her back, and lets out a low whistle. “Well you could knock me down with a feather,” she says, but I doubt it. She may look all light and innocent, but if you tried to knock her down with anything, she’d probably break your fingers.

And I’m not even kidding.

“So are you coming?”

She sits up, grabs a pillow and throws it at me. Then, as she lets out a dramatic, long suffering sigh, she says, “I suppose I’ll have to. But only if you sod off, all right, midget?”

I do as I’m told, not really wanting her to be in a grouchy mood. Maybe she comes off as a bit of a brat, but she has her good moments, too. Like the time she beat up those kids in the park who were laughing at me and Nicky. They ran a mile.

When I get downstairs, Mum and Nicky are waiting with the Pensieve in the kitchen.

“Where’s Her Royal Highness?” asks Mum, smiling.

“Getting dressed,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“In that case, Tillie, we’ve time for you to tell me all about your plans for the rest of the week. Didn’t you want to go into the village?” she asks.

I grin widely, and by the time Day finally comes downstairs, we have discussed my plans for the rest of the entire holiday, and scrubbed Nicky’s nails clean for the occasion.

“Come on, we’ll be late!” my poor brother says, agitatedly. He’s never quite understood Pensieves.

“You can’t be late to your own wedding,” Mum tells us, laughing, and poking the large basin with her wand. Before we all dive in, I consider what good fun it must be to have a wand, but before I can develop this thought further, we are being sucked downwards.

*~*~*


I look up from the ground, blearily, then scramble up onto my knees, and look about me. Day is already standing up, brushing herself off gracefully, and Mum is helping up Nicky. Knowing that my family are safe, I take in the surroundings. We are in a living room, one I recognise to belong to The Burrow, only it has been decorated since this time. Mum is standing in her traditional Muggle wedding dress, with Grandmas Molly and Hermione bustling around, also dressed in the sort of thing you would expect at a wedding. I cringe at the fashion of the day, although, of course, this is what anybody does when looking at people around twenty years ago. I know from what I’ve been told, that Mum is twenty-one (and Day will come four years later).

“Are you nervous, Janey, lovey?” asks Grandma Molly. I watch Young Mum shake her head, and laugh as she has so many times before.

“Of what? Something’s bound to go wrong, but we’ll be married by the end, so I look forward to it!”

“You’re not nervous that ... well, that Frankie won’t turn up or something? It’s perfectly normal to think that way ...”

“Are you kidding? I’m not nervous at all! Honestly, anyone would think you didn’t want to see me married!”

“Oh, don’t say that, Janey!” Grandma Hermione cries. “We just don’t want you bottling up your feelings, that’s all!”

I look around me. Mum is smiling to herself as the scene unfolds, and despite herself, so is Day. I look around for Nicky, and laugh when I see him sitting on the sofa, next to a grumpy Grandad Ron.

“He’d better turn up,” my grandfather says, and all the women in the room scoff at this blatant distrust. Not only are there my three direct maternal relations, but Auntie Ginny (my Great Aunt, really, but we always leave out the “great”s in this family), several other aunts (although they are all by marriage), and, of course, a more youthful looking Annie.

Grandad Arthur enters the room, grinning all over his face. “The carriage has arrived.”

“Carriage?” asks Young Mum, confused, and Now Mum laughs, as Grandad Arthur beams even more, and several Grandmas, aunts and friends exchange knowing smiles.

“You’re not apparating to your wedding, my dear!” Grandma Hermione exclaims. “You, your Grandma Molly, Annie and I are going to the church in a horse drawn carriage!”

I smile to see Young Mum’s eyes swell up, but before she says anything, the scene around us four watchers changes, so that we are now sitting in a small church.

“We wanted an entirely Muggle wedding,” Mum whispers, although there is no need to keep our voices low, for no one can even see us. “Because both of us have some or a lot of Muggle blood in us, and we thought it would be nice for Frankie’s family.”

I look around the church, seeing many family members I know from the Weasley side, a lot of relatives I know from the Springs side, loads of friends of my parents I recognise, and yet still a handful of people I don’t.

“Who’s that?” I ask Mum, pointing to a stern looking woman in the middle of the throng.

“Our old headmistress,” Mum replies, giggling a little.

“McGonagall?” I ask, proud to remember this fact. But we are often told stories of Mum’s school life, and this woman is usually said to be the one giving out detentions, and trying to punish misdoings “ and yet, we’ve been told, finds them as funny as everyone else deep down.

We watch for a little longer, and then, behind us, hear soft whispers. I see Mum turn around, so join her, and come face to face with younger Uncles Fred and George, both with Cheshire cat grins fixed on their faces, and leaning towards each other slightly.

“Did you get them?” asks Uncle Fred (I know this because he has a small embroidered ‘F’ on thee point of his collar, whereas his twin has a ‘G’).

“What do you take me for?” asks Uncle George, quietly.

“An idiot,” Uncle Fred replies, and they both snicker slightly. I notice that, although we can hear them speaking, their fixed grins don’t actually move. It’s very creepy to observe.

“What did you do?” asks Mum under her breath, narrowing her eyes.

“At least these Granite Grins are working ... no one suspects a thing. We could sell these easily, it works perfectly for plotting in secret.”

Mum gasps loudly. “You liars! You told me you tested the Granite Grins at your home in private! You utter hound dogs, this is my freaking wedding!” Of course, she can’t be heard.

Suddenly, the congregation starts to bristle.

“What’s happening?” asks Day.

Mum forgets her horror to laugh a little. “The best man found that the ring box was empty. Eventually we found them in the font of all places, and “” she gasps again, hands flying to the sides of her face, and swivels round to look at Uncles Fred and George again. “Tell me you didn’t!” she screeches, but once again, it has no effect.

“Heh heh, I wonder how Frankie-Laddie will react to this?” asks Uncle George, not bothering to keep his voice down as the church starts to panic.

“You gotta feel sorry for him, really. How many times have we tried to embarrass him in public, now?” asks Uncle George.

“Too many, my friend. Maybe we should lay off.”

They look at each other, maniacal grins still not having moved throughout the whole conversation. “Nah!” they both say at the same time.

Mum has gone from shocked, to furious. “When we leave this Pensieve, you are getting the loudest Howler of your entire careers!” she yells at them. I exchange mystified glances with Day, and then feel a tugging on my sleeve.

“Hey, Tillie?” begins Nicky. “What’s a font?”

I consider the question, not entirely sure myself. I know you find them in churches ...

“It’s where they baptise babies,” Day says casually, watching the panic in the church with amusement. “See that stone basin thing?”

I begin to giggle, before I am given the Evil Eye by Mum. But it is funny. Dad is running around the church, flailing his arms; all the important guests are tearing the building apart in their search; the best man won’t stop insisting that he had them “just a minute ago”, much to my twin uncles’ amusement; Grandmas Molly and Hermione are yelling at anyone and everyone; most of the guests are sitting around, bemused, and Young Mum is watching the whole thing, an amused smile on her face, despite the situation.

“Where can they be?” Uncle George asks, loudly, using an obvious acting voice.

“He had them just a minute ago!” Uncle Fred declares, looking shocked.

“Who would do such a thing?”

“It’s despicable, I say!”

“Indeed! Whoever did it should be punished beyond imagination!”

“The scoundrels ought to be hanged, ought they not?”

“They ought!”

Grandma Molly gives her sons a suspicious look, but everyone is soon distracted by something at the front of the church, near the doors.

“I found them!” Annie’s voice cries, proudly. “They’re in the pont!”

“The what?” yells Dad, almost hysterically, which Uncles Fred and George find highly amusing, much to Now Mum’s disgust.

“That’s a font, not a pont!” Auntie Ginny says laughing.

“Well I knew it rhymed with pont,” Annie insists, as though this is the most reasonable explanation in the world. The ceremony is soon back on track, and Uncles Fred and George begin whispering again.

“The font?” Uncle Fred asks his brother, who nods.

“It did have to actually be findable,” he points out.

“Not necessarily. It would have been funny to watch poor old Frankie-Laddie squirm.”

“Yeah, but Janey would have our heads if she found out.”

“Good point.”

Mum scowls. “It may have taken a long time, but you’ve not got away with it, I can tell you!” she barks at them, although there is still no real point.

“Ahhh ...” the whole church breathes out, as one. I turn around to see Young Mum and Dad pull apart, as man and wife.

“Do you want to stay for the reception, or not?” asks Now Mum. “It’s mostly just speeches, so it would probably be better to go home now.”

I look to Nicky, who nods, and then to Day, who nods also. Mum holds one of mine and Nicky’s hands, and Day takes the other, before we go shooting back to present day.

*~*~*


Later in the morning, I walk into the kitchen to find Mum screeching at a red piece of parchment, which is noting down the words as she says them.

“And it’s not that you did the prank itself, I’ve turned your hair blue enough times, but it was my wedding day! And what did Frankie ever do to you anyway? He was nothing but a gentleman to me, he did his best to fit in with the family, and he never complained about you two making his life as uncomfortable as possible! I could have chosen a half drunk waste of space who hated my family and had no respect for me either, but Frankie is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met! And you two “ you don’t even come close! Now, you will apologise to the both of us in private, or so help me, I will tell Grandma Molly of your plan to sabotage my wedding, and make you give a formal apology in public! Oh yes! I do not jest, uncles of mine! You’ve seen what I do to people who try and cheat the company, imagine what I’m like about my personal life! I will eat you both alive, and you know it! Good day, and I shall see you in two hours at the office ... where you had both better have a good explanation!”

Calmly and silently, she picks up the parchment, and puts it into a scarlet envelope, before attaching it to the leg of our family owl, Barrabus, who flies out of the window in the direction of London.

“Howler?” I ask.

“You bet.”

I spend the next two hours in the garden with Nicky, continuing to build our tree house. I want to get it finished by the end of the summer, so that when I leave for Hogwarts, Nicky will have somewhere new to play. Mum comes out into the garden, her smart navy robes swishing about her, and her hair in a much more official style.

“Off for work?” I ask.

“That’s right. I spoke to Day, by the way, and reminded her that a promise is a promise. There’s some Muggle money on the kitchen table, you can all three go into the village before your dad gets home.

“Bye, Mum!” Nicky shouts, standing up ard throwing his arms around her legs (the highest he can reach).

She kisses the top of his head, ruffles my hair infuriatingly, and walks away, muttering something that sounds suspiciously like, “Mummy’s gun’ kick some identical twin ass ...”

Day reluctantly agrees to take us into the village, where we buy some ice creams, and then go window shopping. Although my sister has seen it all before, my eyes are round with wonder at all the little shops, bursting with character. And that’s not to mention all the Muggle Magic on show. Grandad Arthur has told me enough times how clever they are, but I don’t always believe him until it’s right before my eyes. Nicky, however, is probably more interested in his ice cream. But he is seven.

But when we stop outside a pet shop, he begs and pleads until Day (who has final say on where we go and what we do) relents. “It’s probably a load of smelly old rats and flea bitten rabbits anyway,” she grumbles, but Nicky’s eyes are so round, his elation so sweet, that she can’t help but find it adorable.

“I want that one!” he decides, pointing at a fluffy white guinea pig. “No, that one,” he declares, now pointing at a tarantula in a glass box. “No, no, this one!” he then tells us, pressing his nose against a tank containing brightly coloured fish.

“Nicky, mate, you can’t have any of them. Mum and Dad would not be happy if I just went out and bought half a petting zoo.” Day points out. By this time, however, Nicky is beyond reason, having named every creature in the shop. And even I find myself quite taken with a small, pale brown rabbit, that he has christened Gordon, although the sign clearly states that she is female.

We tell Dad of our excursion later, when we have arrived safely home. Or rather, Nicky does.

“... And then there was this little rabbit called Gordon, who was all twitchy, and had these floppy ears, and little black eyes!”

“Gordon, eh?” asks Dad, an amused smile on his face.

“Gordon was a girl,” I tell him, feeling it a necessity that he should know this. Nicky prattles on regardless.

“... And we all had ice creams, too, did I tell you? And the lady in the shop said ...” Nicky puffs out his chest, proudly, “... She said I was a darling.”

“Munchkin possessed by the devil, is what she meant,” Day says, proving that, in fact, she has been listening all along, despite her apparent interest in the gossip column of the Daily Prophet.

“So, to go back to my original question,” Dad says loudly, “did your Mum mention what we had planned for dinner tonight?”

“No,” Day says. “But I think there may be a celebratory family meal. You know how it is when someone gets engaged.”

“Wait ... who got engaged?” Dad asks, confused.

“Annie and Uncle David,” I tell him, surprised that he didn’t know this already.

He scratches his head, bemused. “Nice to know I’m in the Weasley loop.”

“Oh, Mum probably forgot to tell you, what with finding out that Fred and George tried to sabotage your wedding, like, a hundred years ago,” Day tells him, nonchalantly.

“Hang on,” Dad says, more confused than ever. “They tried to what our what? How many years ago?”

Day checks off on her fingers, “Sabotage, wedding, a hundred. They hid the rings in the font.”

“That was them? How do you know?”

I decide to inform him. “Because we went to see it, because Annie is pregnant and getting married, and I asked about your wedding, and so Mum took us there in the Pensieve, and we were sat in front of Uncles Fred and George, who were wearing Granite Grins to cover up the fact that they were plotting to steal and hide your rings, and then Mum heard all this, and realised that “”

“Hang on,” Dad says, interrupting me mid-tale. “Run this by me again. Who’s pregnant?”

*~*~*


It is decided that the wedding will be the last Saturday of August, so that they are married when Day and I leave for Hogwarts (although the thought of that day baffles me completely, because I can’t remember ever being away from here for more than a couple of weeks at a time). All the family members under 21 are enlisted to be either bridesmaids or pageboys. In our family, that means there will probably be more of those than actual guests “ me included.

Day is appalled that she will have to wear dress robes, as it is entirely the fashion to wear Muggle clothes if you have the choice, and normal robes (let alone dress robes) only come out as more formal attire. She spends many a happy hour trying to convince Annie, Uncle David, and anyone else who will listen, that the wedding should be Muggle dress. “Like Mum and Dad’s was,” she explains, desperately.

“But my family is Muggle,” Dad tells her, just as desperate sounding. “David and Annie are both from mainly wizarding families. They may be open minded, but when it comes with things like their own wedding, they’ve decided to stick with tradition.”

“That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard,” Day declares. I will mention that this whole debate is happening at the dinner table, three days after everything has been fitted and ordered anyway.

“Clearly, you have never heard Grandad Ron’s philosophy on love and marriage,” Mum says.

“What’s that?” I ask, and am glared at by my sister for falling into the diversion tactic trap.

“No one should date or fall in love until they are already married to the person they know is right for them. Unless their name happens to be Ronald Weasley.”

“That really is stupid,” I agree, and Day falls forward to bang her head on the table in despair.

Despite my sister’s many debates, seminars, petitions, bribes, pleas and threats, on the day of the wedding we find ourselves in traditional dress robes, flying the flag for unfashionable sticklers of tradition everywhere. To twist the knife even more, it seems that for this ceremony, a colour is prohibited unless it is of the pastel variety. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Day roll her eyes and sigh dramatically so many times in a single day. It’s quite funny to watch.

Apart from all the moody teenage vibes knocking about, the wedding itself goes quite well, with no major hiccups. I notice that Uncle’s Fred and George are a lot quieter than usual, and keep glancing over at Mum every now and then.

“What did you do to them?” I hear Grandma Hermione ask Mum, in a shocked voice.

“I let them know that I don’t take kindly to people ridiculing my husband behind my back,” Mum replies.

“How?”

“Well, it involved a screwdriver, some string, a bit of magic, the odd diamond, and a hell of a lot of chimpanzees,” Mum tells her, off hand.

“So, in other words, I’ll ask no questions, and you’ll tell no lies.”

“Good plan.”

Eventually, Annie and Uncle David do their honeymoon thing, and we go home to put Nicky to bed, as he had fallen asleep on Uncle Percy’s lap.

The rest of the summer seems to speed up considerably. Mum takes us to Diagon Alley the day before we are due to go to Hogwarts, because up until then we had been distracted by the wedding and stuff. It all flashes by so quickly, that the thought of leaving barely even registers. The final shop we go into is the menagerie, which is rather low on stock, now that the school shopping season is pretty much over. Just like in the Muggle version of a pet shop, Nicky goes mad with wonder, and everybody finds him sweet.

After looking at all manner of rats, owls, and cats, I eventually see a large toad in it’s cage, looking at me with big, desperate eyes. I fall in love.

“What’s this one like?” I ask, pointing to it.

“Um,” says the shop assistant, a little flustered. “That’s a toad.”

I roll my eyes inwardly, and then remind myself not to do so again “ the teenage attitude is Day’s area of expertise, not mine. “I mean, is it for sale? How long has it been here?”

“A year or so ... it’s for sale, but you don’t have to have it because you feel sorry for it. Why, there is a beautiful selection of owls that were very popular this summer...”

“I don’t feel sorry for it,” I insist, and Day looks exasperated behind me. “I like it!”

“Tillie,” Day says, slowly, “It’s a toad. Nobody likes toads, you will be laughed at.”

“I’ll laugh at them back,” I say, determinedly.

“You could call it Lionel!” Nicky says, excitedly.

“Good idea,” I tell him, impressed.

“It’s a girl,” the assistant says, a little wearily.

“And? Lionel’s a perfectly good name for a female toad. It suits her.”

“Lionel’s a stupid name for a female toad,” Day points out, more and more on edge as it gets more and more likely that I’ll be sticking with Lionel. Mum is watching the whole drama play out with an amused smile on her face.

“I have decided,” I say, dramatically. Honestly, all this fuss over a toad. I like her, she’s really cool. Just maybe not in anybody else’s eyes.

“I can’t believe you!” Day complains, as we leave. “I’m going to be known as the sister of the freaky toad loving girl forevermore.”

“Just say you tried to stop me, but I kept biting your ankles, because I am deranged and inhuman, if it bothers you that much,” I say to her. She lets out a frustrated scream, and Mum laughs. I keep Lionel with me for the rest of the day, while I pack and get things ready. The fact that I am leaving still hasn’t sunk in. It’s like I’m not me anymore, I’m watching myself as I pack my trunk, and feed Lionel, and play with Nicky. The thought of actually leaving my home just doesn’t seem real.

But before I go to sleep, I realise that I must say goodbye to my brother. Otherwise, he won’t understand when I get on the train without him “ we’ve always been together, ever since he was born, and I was three years old. I get out of bed, and creep into his room to speak to him.

“Nicky?” I whisper. There is no answer. “Are you awake? I need to speak to you. See, tomorrow when I go to Hogwarts, you’ll be on your own until Christmas. But you’ll go to school every day like normal, I just won’t be there to stop the big kids if they try and make fun of you. You have to be strong, and remember “ I’ll be back really soon, okay?” There is still no reaction. “Nicky?” I get closer to his bed.

He is asleep.

“Goodnight, Nicky.”

*~*~*


The next morning, I barely have time to think. But as the train pulls from the station, time suddenly slows right down. A tear slides down my cheek, as Mum, Dad and Nicky get smaller and smaller.

“Hey ...” Day soothes, throwing her arm around me. “It’s not that bad, really. You’ll love it here. You’ve got your wand, you’ll be learning magic, you’ll make new friends, and you’ve even got your stupid female man-toad.”

Lionel croaks loudly, and I smile. Day is right. It’ll be okay here. I do have my own wand, and I will get to make real friends, for what might be the first time. And, I have Lionel, my completely unfashionable pet. In fact ... well, after all that denial about what was going to happen, I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Lionel croaks again.

“I agree,” I tell my toad.

“Good, because I’m right,” Day says, obviously thinking I was talking to her. If only she knew. “Do you want me to find you a carriage?” she asks me, but I notice her glancing wistfully at the door her friends have gone through.

“No,” I say. “No, I’ll be fine.”

*~*~*


AN: Whew! That was longer than I expected. Still, at least you got to get to know Janey and Frankie’s kids, right? So leave a review! What did you think of it all?
AN2: So for a long time (over a year, probably) I said this was over, and I honestly thought it was. But then I accidentally wrote a sixth story about Day. I’m not sure how it happened, but hopefully it’s coming soon, so look out for that!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=65512