Never Again by HandPFeather
Summary: Canon Compliant to Chapter 33 of DH.
Severus Snape: Dumbledore’s man or Dumbledore’s murderer? This OFC fic explores what happened all those years ago to make Snape turn spy and how it shaped the Potions Master into the man we love to hate.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 22091 Read: 24459 Published: 03/30/07 Updated: 07/18/08

1. Feast and Famine by HandPFeather

2. Master of Disguise by HandPFeather

3. Caught by HandPFeather

4. Unbreakable by HandPFeather

5. Connections by HandPFeather

6. Faith and Reason by HandPFeather

7. Tarnished by HandPFeather

8. Trapped by HandPFeather

Feast and Famine by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
Nothing here is owned by Me. All kudos go to JK and I thank her for letting us play in her world!


Special thanks to the Beta Gang: Sandy, Allie and Frank. Love you guys! ~~~~~~~
A door on one side of the desolate banquet hall opened loudly. A man stepped into the room as the door swung shut behind him. His cold, dark eyes took in the damage. Shards of china and crystal were strewn all over the floor. He rested his eyes on the shadow of a man bent double on the other side of the room. His footfalls echoed in the silent room as he crossed quickly to where the other man leaned down over a crumpled body.


“You are needed.”


The words, spoken softly, seemed to ring out in the silent space.


Both men stood to their full height; one man dark and gaunt, the other fair and self-assured.


A girl crouching beneath the folds of a crisp, starched linen table cloth lowered herself to her stomach and peered out from the tiny crack between the table linen and the tile. The tile was icy against her cheek, causing her to suck in her breath. She squeezed her eyes shut, praying that no one had seen her.


“Such a pity,” drawled the fair-haired man, tossing his head in a gesture of impatience.


“She was a mere child,” replied the other.


“You have much to learn,” stated Lucius Malfoy sharply, frowning down at the body and sliding his wand back inside his cloak.


Lucius took a few steps away, but then turned quickly.


“Leave her,” he commanded, “let them find her here.”


Lucius turned and strode from the room when the man assented with a nod of his head. The door snapping shut behind him sounded like a gunshot. The man looked up sharply. He had heard not only the door, but another, softer noise.


Remaining frozen in her spot beneath the table, the girl watched the man scan the room slowly. She gasped inaudibly when his gaze stopped upon the table under which she was hiding. She shook her head frantically “ she didn’t understand. She was positive she knew who he was “ she had seen him frequently enough to know. In fact, she knew both of these men. Her mind raced, trying to put all the pieces together.


Gazing upon the banquet table that had somehow escaped damage, the man weighed his options. Someone was hiding underneath the table. He was sure. He could feel the fear pulsating out from beneath it. He did not think he was in danger, but he did not want to be too confident either. He needed to know what kind of mess Lucius left behind that he was going to end up cleaning up.


The sound of glass crunching under his feet made the girl blanch as she realized he was quickly moving toward her. In one swift motion, the man had flipped up the cloth and was crouched low with his wand pointing directly at her.


“Please, no!” she gasped, hiding her face in her hands and curling into a ball as quickly as a cat.


The sound of shattering glass punctuated the moment as two crystal goblets fell from the table, one by her head and the other by her feet. The silence that followed seemed to stretch out endlessly.


“Violet?” the man asked sharply. “Violet Evans?”


The girl peered out from between her fingers as she nodded, exhaling slowly.


When the man lowered his wand and rested back on his heels, Violet scrambled out and threw herself into his arms sobbing. To balance, he put his hand back quickly and cut his palm on a shard from a china dinner plate. He sucked in his breath.


“Severus! Severus, I don’t understand!” she pleaded.


Severus Snape regained his balance as the girl clung to him shaking. He shook his injured hand as the blood began to flow down to his fingers. He remained crouched awkwardly for a moment before putting his other arm around her and standing them both up.


“Violet,” he said trying to push her away from him. She resisted, burying her face deeper into his chest and shuddering.


“Violet,” he said again, a note of desperation creeping into his voice.


This girl, clinging to him so tightly, was causing his heart to beat much more rapidly than he was accustomed to. He was starting to feel very unsettled.


“Violet, enough!” he barked, wrenching away and turning his back to her. She quieted immediately.


Snape examined his hand carefully. The gash was deep. It would probably leave a scar. He forced himself to focus on that thought only as he took a couple of deep breaths.


“Severus, what’s going on? Why was Lucius Malfoy here?” she asked beginning to cry again. “Tomorrow is Lily’s wedding.”


Snape turned around slowly, his face now a mask showed no feeling.


“My hand is cut,” he told her, pulling a long, white handkerchief from the pocket of his black vest.


He wrapped the handkerchief around his hand tightly as Violet gasped. She could already see the crimson beginning to stain through.


“Your hand,” she stammered as she cried, reaching up to take it in hers. “I am so sorry!”


Snape snatched his hand out of her grasp and took a step back. She winced at the sound of glass crushing under his feet.


“I…I don’t understand,” she said again.


“Does Lily know you are here?” he asked evenly.


Violet shook her head.


“Severus, please,” she began imploringly. “Lucius Malfoy…I don’t understand…why are you here? That girl…that girl is my friend!”


Snape could hear the hysteria creeping into her voice again. His countenance softened then, almost imperceptibly.


“Lily would be devastated to know that you had just witnessed this,” he said softly, eyes taking in the desolate scene.


Snape thought of the last time he had seen Lily Evans.


“Why are you here?” Violet asked again. “Why did you come for Lucius? Who sent you? How did you know where…”


Violet’s voice trailed off as her eyes grew wide with comprehension. She shook her head slowly.


“Severus?” she questioned.


Severus Snape squared his shoulders then and glared coldly into the eyes of Violet Evans.


“Please no, Severus,” she whispered. “Please tell me that this is not true.”


Snape remained silent, staring into her eyes as she stepped back slowly.


“Severus, you are Lily’s friend. You are my friend! I know you from…”


“You don’t know me at all,” Snape spat, closing the distance between them and grabbing Violet’s wrist hard with his wounded hand. He winced.


Violet yelped and squeezed her eyes shut as Snape wrapped his left arm around her back. He let go of Violet’s wrist and used his hurt hand to turn up the cuff of his white linen shirt.


“Look,” he commanded.


She shook her head, keeping her eyes tightly shut.


Snape leaned in very close to her ear.


“Look,” he hissed again.


Violet opened her eyes, damp with new tears.


“You are our friend,” she whispered softly looking not at his arm but at his face. “You studied Potions with my sister at our house all the time. I sat with you at the kitchen table when you and Lily were studying.”


Snape lifted his forearm slowly and Violet, crying freely now, turned to see the Dark Mark emblazoned on his sallow skin. She spit at his Mark viciously. The touch of her spittle on his skin was like a hot iron. Snape pushed her roughly away from him and she spun crashing into the table sending china and crystal flying once more.


“Do not push me, little girl,” he snarled angrily.


Violet would not look at him.


“You…” Violet’s voice caught. She took a deep breath. “You are not that man,” she whispered again. “You are Lily’s friend. I know you. I liked you and I looked up to you…Please, Severus…”


Something about the way Violet had just spoken to him sent Snape reeling. He backed away from her, stumbling.


Violet looked up to face him.


“I will not believe it,” she told him simply.


Snape glared at her, but kept his distance. His heart began to pound again. He could hear it in his ears.


“I will not believe it,” she said again. “You were always nice to me Severus…even at school, where you hated everyone. The year I came you always shared a kind word. You may have only done that because I was Lily’s little sister, but I liked you for it. You made me feel more comfortable there. I liked being around you. You are not that man.”


“Stop!” Snape yelled savagely, holding up his wand and pointing it directly at her heart.


Violet held her breath. The tears still clung to her lashes. She forced herself to look straight into his eyes.


Snape took a deep breath and one step closer to Violet. When he spoke his words were without emotion.


“Get. Out. Now. Before. Lucius. Returns.”


You are not that man…


Snape’s eyes snapped open and his hand reflexively reached for the wand resting on his bedside table. The palm of his hand still twinged from the cut. For some reason he could not quite explain, Snape had not magically healed his palm. He opened and shut the hand slowly, looking down at it. Looking at it reminded him of her.


It had been a month already since their run-in. Snape had heard the rumblings that despite the initial incident of a dead Muggle, the Evans/Potter wedding went off without a hitch.


Snape took a deep breath, replacing the wand on the table and sliding up to a sitting position on the bed in the cold, dank room at Spinner’s End. With his mind’s eye he saw the face of Violet Evans, eyes locked on his own, a look of total determination on her face. She was haunting his dreams and he didn’t like it. He shook his head slowly to clear it. He could have just cast a quick Memory modification charm and that would have been the end of it. He could have but he did not.


The owl rapped on the glass of the kitchen window loudly. After a few moments, Snape crossed the kitchen and threw the window open, letting in the owl along with the crisp early morning air.


Snape took the letter from the owl and rummaged in a cupboard, looking for a treat. The owl took it gratefully but did not move to leave so Snape leaned over to pull the window shut. His reply must be expected. He opened the letter, quickly scanning down the lines:


Breakfast at Malfoy Manor “ what a pleasant way to begin the day!


Snape smirked and penned a response on the backside of the parchment. He returned the letter to the owl that now looked eager to leave. Snape reopened the window and watched the bird gracefully take to the air.


After quickly conjuring a cup of tea, Snape grabbed a handful of walnuts to munch on and took the steps two at a time. It would not do to keep Lucius Malfoy waiting long.


As he dressed methodically, Snape concentrated very intensely on the image of Violet seen in his mind’s eye. After a few moments, the image began to blur around the edges, closing in on itself until finally there was nothing left. It was as if a door had been opened and shut. What was previously there had disappeared completely.


Breakfast at Malfoy Manor was a quiet, working affair.


“You must wonder, Severus, why I have invited you here,” Malfoy suggested when they were seated at a small table in Malfoy’s private study.


Snape nodded his head, appraising Lucius Malfoy with a questioning expression and spreading a napkin onto his lap smoothly. He waited in silence until Malfoy had begun to eat.


“The Dark Lord has asked me to convey to you that he was very interested to learn you had a good working relationship with Lily Evans,” Malfoy explained.


“She is Lily Potter now,” Snape interjected with disgust.


“Yes, yes,” Lucius agreed, “I had quite forgotten she married that twit, Potter.”


The two ate in silence for a few moments until Malfoy continued.


“The Dark Lord wants to know if your ‘friend’ is aware of your new allegiance.”


“Not that I know of,” Snape responded.


“I would suggest you find out for sure,” Malfoy told him.


“Why does it matter?” Snape asked.


“My dear boy,” Malfoy chided, “for someone so well versed in Potions and the Dark Arts, it does take you some time to put things together.”


Snape scowled. Only Lucius Malfoy could insult someone with such decorum.


“He would like me to encourage you to continue your relationship with Lily Potter.”


“I have not seen her for some time,” Snape told him.


“Perhaps now would be a good time to offer your belated congratulations on her wedding,” Malfoy suggested smiling.


Snape scowled darkly.


“You are a great asset to the cause, Severus,” Malfoy reminded him, feeding his ego just a bit, “This is why the Dark Lord has seen to influence your alliances.”


“Well,” Snape remarked as his eyes flashed brightly, “Lily always did visit the Apothecary on the same day every week.”


Malfoy nodded and placed his napkin gently upon his cleaned plate. He pushed back the chair and regarded Snape with interest.


“The Dark Lord is also requesting you pursue some higher education,” he stated.


Snape almost choked on his tea. “What does that mean?”


Malfoy raised his eyebrows in amusement. “Is this a problem?”


“What does my Lord want me to do?” Snape asked, taking a deep breath.


Lucius smiled and answered, “He wants you to devote a good portion of your time to studying Potions.”


Snape thought this over for a few minutes, continuing to eat silently. “And my mentor?” he asked finally.


“The Dark Lord has arranged a meeting for you tomorrow with Professor Slughorn at Hogwarts for one o’clock.”


“At Hogwarts?” Snape asked darkly.


“One o’clock,” Malfoy reminded him, rising to stand. “I will wait to hear the outcome of your meeting, but remember, Severus, the Dark Lord does not like to wait long.”


Snape pushed back his chair, aware that although he had not finished eating, his presence at Malfoy Manor was no longer desired.




Snape pulled up the neck on his travel cloak and entered the small, wooden building. His keen sense of smell was overwhelmed by the intense aroma of many clashing scents in the dimly lit Apothecary.


The woman directly in front of him started at his sudden presence. She turned to look at him and a slow smile spread across her face.


“Hello, Severus,” she said.


“Lily,” he responded coolly, inclining his head fractionally.


“It has been so long,” she said touching his elbow gently, her eyes smiling. “How are you?”


“Forgive me, but my congratulations seems to have been delayed,” he told her unsmiling.


Lily raised her eyebrows.


“The owl must have been blown off course,” he finished, sneering.


“As abrasive as ever,” Lily remarked with a wide smile. “I am glad that you are well then.”


Snape watched Lily silently as she turned back to her shopping, breaking eye contact with him. As an accomplished Legilimens however, even eye contact that brief allowed Snape to confirm that Lily Potter was completely unaware of his recent decision to serve the Dark Lord. It appeared that Violet had chosen to stay quiet about their friendly little chat as well.


Lily turned back to Snape, a look of concern etched in her features.


“Violet mentioned she saw you just before the wedding…strange thing, that death of her Muggle friend. Would you know anything about that?”


The words hung in the air between them.


Snape let the words wash over him a moment before he replied, giving himself time to clear his mind.


“Is Violet still distressed?” he inquired with just the merest hint of concern.


Lily nodded.


“Yes, but she refuses to speak of the events of that day. What do you know of what went on?”


“Mere blood-sport,” he replied tersely, not attempting to hide the disgust in his voice.


Just then the breeze from the opening door rustled Snape’s hair as Lily broke into a wide smile looking at someone just over his shoulder.


“Violet!” she exclaimed, pushing past to hug her sister.


Snape kept his back to the two women as they exchanged pleasantries.


“Severus,” Lily began, “Violet and I were planning to head to the Leaky Cauldron for a bite. Would you like to join us?”


Snape turned around slowly. His gaze met Violet’s, who was looking at him expectantly. He silently dared her to speak; to blow his cover but her eyes betrayed nothing of their previous meeting.


“I really must restock my supplies,” he responded dismissively.


Lily opened her mouth to speak, but Violet cut her off.


“That‘s fine. We will wait,” Violet told them both.


Snape arched an eyebrow in surprise. Her response caught him completely off guard.


“I have no other plans,” she explained quickly. “Lily, is that all right with you?”


Lily nodded. “It would be nice to catch up some,” she agreed.


Snape looked from one woman to the other, silently comparing the pros and cons of this sudden dinner invitation. He had gotten his answer for the Dark Lord, but was sure anything more would be welcome. Violet’s presence however, certainly complicated things.


He looked at Violet again coolly and responded, “I will be just a moment then.”


Violet smiled and Snape turned away from her feeling unsettled. He strode over to the counter to order his items, hearing the women’s voices murmuring softly in the background. He took a deep breath to tame his sudden surge of temper thinking “


Who does this girl think she is? What game is she playing at?


He glanced quickly over his shoulder scowling. Best to have this dinner engagement and set Violet straight once more if the opportunity presented itself.


Settling themselves at a small corner table in the crowded Leaky Cauldron, Snape caught the eye of Tom, the bartender.


Tom approached the table quickly giving his full attention to Severus Snape. Snape opened his mouth to speak and cringed as Violet gushed, “Oh hi, Tom! How are you? I think tonight I would like ““


“Violet,” Lily said gently, laying her hand on Violet’s.


Violet turned to her.


“Dinner with Severus is always a most delightful experience. Why don’t you just sit quietly and watch how a proper young man treats women,” she suggested.


Snape looked to Lily and nodded gratefully. He turned back to Tom and ordered, including appetizers and a fine bottle of elf-made wine for the three of them.


“Severus is a gentleman who appreciates how things were done in the old days,“ Lily explained to Violet as Tom went to fetch their wine. “There are not many proper gentlemen left these days.”


Snape grimaced inwardly. This was not going along as well as he had hoped.


Violet bestowed another wide smile and replied softly, “I always thought that about you.”


“The real problem is cheeky, young women who don’t know their place,” Snape replied quickly, hiding the blush creeping into his cheeks by coughing heavily into his napkin.


Tom brought the wine and shortly after, the food. The three sat eating. Violet remained fairly silent as Snape and Lily discussed many things potion related. Violet’s strong point was Transfiguration and as such, she was amazed to watch the transformation of the man she knew now to be a Death Eater. She studied him closely as he spoke guardedly with Lily. This was the man she knew “ the one who had been in their kitchen so often. It was the man that she had come to care a great deal for, but that secret was sealed in her soul. She had never breathed a word of it to anyone. How long had it been really, now that she thought of it, since she had seen him? He had not been on the guest list for the wedding, but then again, she knew that was because of James and not Lily.


After a few moments she realized she had been staring. She dropped her gaze to her plate, remembering the shred of concern in his voice when Snape commanded her to leave the reception hall.


“What is going on here?”


A man’s voice sliced through the conversation.


Three sets of eyes turned to find James Potter glaring down at them. Remus Lupin held up a warning hand and shrugged.


Lily stood up with ease and walked to her husband, kissing his cheek.


“James, I know you remember Severus. We ran into him at the Apothecary and invited him to join us,” Lily explained putting her hand on his chest warningly.


“How nice,” James responded, his voice dripping with sarcasm.


Snape bristled. He hated James Potter with every fiber of his being, but Lily had just categorized him as the perfect gentleman to Violet. He sighed resignedly and pushed back his chair to stand politely, but did not address James directly. He cast a look of great disdain however, in the direction of Remus Lupin.


“James knew you would be here with Violet,” Remus said by way of apology. “He thought we might join you.”


No one spoke for a moment until Violet remarked quietly, “You know, I really need to be getting home. If it isn’t too much trouble, perhaps you could escort me, Severus, and then Lily can stay here with James and Remus.”


“Remus will take you home!” James commanded.


Lily rolled her eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous, James, you both just got here. I’m sure Remus wants dinner. Violet will be in good hands with Severus.”


“Severus?” Violet asked again quickly before James could respond.


Snape was already leaning down to gather their things. He offered her his hand.


“Lily,” Snape said, helping Violet into her cloak.


“Severus, thank you. It was so nice to catch up,” Lily replied.


“Potter, Lupin…” Snape hissed barely audibly before turning on his heel and offering Violet his arm.


Violet thought Snape was going to bang the door off its hinges as they left the Leaky Cauldron. They walked a few blocks in stalking silence, Violet snatching glimpses of the hatred etched in Snape’s face.


“Thank you for dinner,” Violet said softly when Snape slowed his pace slightly.


A hiss whistled low through his teeth before he rounded on her, grasping her arm tightly and unleashing some of his fury on her.


“What game are you playing at?” Snape demanded, looking down his nose at her.


She met his gaze fully and let the question hang in the air for a moment before replying.


“That man at the table dining with Lily and I…that is the man that you are. That is the man I remember.”


Snape shook his head slowly and defiantly, letting go of her arm.


“I am a Death Eater,” he said proudly. “I serve the greatest wizard the world has ever known.”


Violet listened to these words roll reverently off his tongue and felt a sudden chill grip her heart. She thought Snape might just bow down to the very thought of him. She shivered and took a deep breath.


“Why have you done this?” she asked him regretfully.


Snape looked at her with scorn.


“Put away your romantic notions of saving my soul,” he told her with disgust. “I know who I am.”


“I will not believe it,” she told him again.


He lifted his hand as if to strike her, but did not. He waited instead until the sleeve of his cloak had slid back along his arm to reveal the Dark Mark. She flinched as if he had struck her anyway and turned away.


“My patience toward you is waning,” Snape said in a low tone. “Only because you are Lily’s little sister will I say this to you: do not play this game, Violet. This game is for keeps and you will not win. You are young “ do not be foolish. Listen to what I am telling you.”


Violet walked away from him silently. Snape came up alongside her. Her face was set in a rigid expression. They walked together in silence until they reached her home.


“Lily expected I escort you,” Snape said simply. “Do not let it go to your head.”


Violet laughed bitterly. “Lily knows you, and I know you. Believe what you want, Severus, but you are not that man.”


She turned then and let herself into her sister’s house without another word.


Snape watched the door snap shut behind her. There were not many things in the world that gave Severus Snape pause, but Violet Evans was definitely one of them.




Master of Disguise by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
Special Thank you to White Raven, your Severus Snape is an inspiration to my own!



Thank you also to Allie and Frank - keep up the good work!


~~~~~~~
Horace Slughorn struggled to his feet as Severus Snape strode across the room purposefully.


“Thank you for this opportunity, Professor,” Snape said, shaking the older man’s hand.


“You have natural talent, Severus,” Slughorn remarked. “I am always happy to have an excuse to work with someone with such promise.”


Slughorn motioned to a seat and both men sat.


“Though most of your time will be spent with research, Severus, there will be times you will assist me with the students,” Slughorn explained.


“Students?” Snape asked, puzzled.


“Yes, you know, those little people running all over the place here. You used to be one,” Slughorn responded good-naturedly.


Snape scowled.


“I know you don’t like it, Severus,” Slughorn commented, “but it will do you good.”


Snape remained silent as his scowl deepened.


Horace Slughorn pushed back his chair and struggled to stand.


“I expect you would like to begin immediately?” Slughorn asked.


Snape nodded once, standing swiftly.


“I’ve cleared off three shelves for your supplies in my private lab,” Slughorn explained, holding out a piece of parchment. “This is your Restricted library pass. It is valid for as long as your remain under my tutelage.”


“Thank you,” Snape breathed, taking the parchment gingerly as if it would disintegrate with his touch.


“At the lab under your empty shelves is a list of the first ten potions I would like. You may start at your leisure,” Slughorn remarked.


Snape nodded once more and turned quickly, clutching the parchment to his chest tenderly. He walked the short distance to the lab to survey his new workspace. Snape nodded appreciatively to see that he would be located in the farthest corner away from the door. He knew Slughorn liked to feel well-connected, and so anticipated there would be many comings and goings in the private lab. He crossed the room and took a few vials out of his cloak pocket. He placed them carefully on his lowest shelf and smirked. He had not thought his return to Hogwarts would be so comfortable, as he almost thrived in these dark dungeons.


Snape found Slughorn’s list and scanned down it quickly noticing


-Wound Cleaning Potion

-Forgetfulness Potion

-Strengthening Solution


He could brew these in his sleep.


Snape returned the list to the counter below the shelves and shrugged in disappointment. He had not expected to be brewing never-before-seen recipes, but the banal list made him fear he would be wasting his time here. His hand almost tingled with anticipation however, clutching the piece of parchment. Snape sneered down at the potions list. He had almost forgotten about the library. What he would not learn from Horace Slughorn he would find in the dusty volumes of the Restricted Section.




The rain was falling steadily as Severus Snape climbed the tall marble steps of Hogwarts. He pushed open a heavy door and slinked in around the edge. Today was his first meeting with the Headmaster as Slughorn’s apprentice rather than as a Hogwarts student. Snape was uncharacteristically nervous as he made his way to the stone gargoyle at the entrance of the Headmaster’s office.


“Bertie Botts,” Snape said in disgust. The circular stair allowed him admittance and he was slowly ushered up to the Headmaster’s door. He knocked briskly.


The door opened of its own accord and Snape saw the gentile Headmaster sitting behind his desk, his eyes alight. Albus Dumbledore stood quickly and strode around the desk.


“Ah, Severus,” Dumbledore said smiling. “Professor Slughorn sings your praises daily.”


Snape remained silent, wondering how it was that this old man always left him feeling speechless.


Dumbledore clasped Snape’s shoulder and looked deeply into his eyes. Snape tensed briefly, waiting for the mental tug that would indicate Dumbledore was trying Legilimency on him, but it never came. What was it that Snape heard when he was a student here? Dumbledore read hearts, not minds.


“Are you satisfied with your apprenticeship, Severus?” Dumbledore asked motioning for Snape to sit.


“Of course, sir,” Snape replied, settling into a wingback chair.


Snape was surprised when Dumbledore settled himself into the chair next to him rather than in the one across the expanse of oak desk.


“Is Horace keeping you busy?” Dumbledore asked.


“Fairly,” Snape replied guardedly.


“Are you making some headway in the Restricted Section?” Dumbledore’s face broke into a smile.


“Yes, sir” Snape breathed excitedly, nodding.


“Good…good,” Dumbledore murmured. “Severus, would you have the time and inclination to experiment with a potion for me?”


Snape sat up a little straighter regarding Dumbledore curiously. Was the old wizard challenging him?


“Of course, sir.”


“Good…good,” Dumbledore murmured again, looking thoughtful. “I’m sure you know of a few different sleep potions?”


Snape nodded.


“I am in need of a potion that will allow me to have some control over dreams,” he continued.


“In what way?” Snape asked.


“I need to be able to sleep at times without dreaming,” Dumbledore replied.


“Have you tried Occlumency, sir?” Snape asked.


“What if someone has not yet learned Occlumency, Severus?” Dumbledore asked.


Snape nodded thoughtfully.


“Can you work on that?” Dumbledore asked.


“Yes, sir,” Snape replied, a note of genuine interest in his voice.


“I was happy to hear of your interest in studying with Horace,” Dumbledore told him, pushing up to stand. Snape remained silent, not sure what to say about this.


Dumbledore’s face broke into a wide smile. “It is good to have you back here, Severus.”


Snape stood as well. “Thank you, Headmaster.”


“Thank you, Severus. I had hoped this project would pique your interest. You are one of the best potions students I have ever encountered.”


Snape smirked, thinking of the few people he wished had heard these accolades.


“Good day, Severus. Let me know once you have something.”


Dumbledore walked with Snape back over to the door.


“Good day, Headmaster,” Snape replied.


Back in the private potions laboratory, Snape quickly wrote a short note to Lucius Malfoy. He paced back and forth a few times trying to catch up with the events of the past few hours. Snape felt the situation here at Hogwarts was a maze of confusion. Malfoy said that the Dark Lord had encouraged this new position, yet Dumbledore had already given him a secret assignment. Snape realized very quickly the precarious position he found himself in. His heart beat a little faster, picking up on the tension surrounding him. He would have to be very careful. He would have to remain practically silent and observe how the events that were being orchestrated around him would begin to unfold. He stopped pacing suddenly. What he really needed was a drink. He grabbed his travel cloak and headed to the owlery to post his note to Malfoy before heading toward the main entrance, his head swimming with a million different scenarios.


Severus Snape entered the dimly lit Hog’s Head tavern and walked quickly up to the bar. He ordered a glass of red wine and found himself a table in the corner farthest away from the door. He sipped his wine, staring into the fire and thinking about Dumbledore’s proposal. Snape shook his head and concentrated hard on his last exchange with Dumbledore. Once the memory of Dumbledore instructing him about the potion was shut away in his mind, Snape looked around at the people milling about the tavern. He returned his attention to the fire and swirled the cranberry-colored liquid in his glass.


Snape started as Lucius Malfoy placed a hand firmly on his shoulder.


“Always alert, Severus,” Malfoy reminded him with a frown.


Snape scowled. Being corrected by Lucius Malfoy always made him feel more self-conscious than he already was.


“A report already?” Malfoy asked, sliding down the bench seat across from Snape. Malfoy rested the head of his cane so it hung from the edge of the table, immediately next to his right hand and squinted at Snape.


“I hope you are not wasting my time.”


“Wine?” Snape asked, ignoring Malfoy’s last remark.



“I have already ordered cognac,” Malfoy replied. “What do you have to tell me?”


Snape remained silent as the bartender arrived with Malfoy’s drink. Once they were alone, Snape leaned forward and told Malfoy about his meeting with Lily, being sure to keep the subject of Violet to himself. He then recounted his interview with Professor Slughorn. He did not mention his meeting with the Headmaster.


Malfoy tipped back the last of his cognac and nodded his head.


“Now that we have that taken care of,” Malfoy began raising his hand.


At once, a woman approached and slid into the seat next to Malfoy.


“Severus, do you know my sister-in-law, Bellatrix Lestrange?” Malfoy asked.


The woman lowered her hood and Snape stood up halfway, leaning across the table and extending his hand. She placed hers gingerly in his own and watched intently as he brought her hand to his lips, a deep frown creasing her features.


“At least he has the manners of a pure-blood,” Bellatrix purred darkly.


Snape let go of her hand quickly and his eyes flashed. He stood to his full height.


“Bella, please. You know the Dark Lord’s orders,” Malfoy hissed.


Snape sat down heavily. He looked hard at Lucius Malfoy and then shifting his gaze to Bellatrix, he set his jaw, waiting for the verbal onslaught. It did not come.


“Now that you will be a regular inhabitant at Hogwarts,” Malfoy began, “the Dark Lord has sent Bellatrix to improve your Occlumency skills.”


Snape bristled, as did Bellatrix.


“Are you absolutely sure…” Bellatrix began.


“Silence!” Malfoy snapped.


Snape shifted uncomfortably as Malfoy leaned toward Bellatrix and murmured something he could not hear. Bellatrix pouted, but Snape noticed her hands relax on the surface of the table.


“I have assured the Dark Lord and Bella that you have already had a great deal of experience with Occlumency,” Malfoy stated.


Snape nodded.


“I do not anticipate this will take long,” he finished.


“When do we begin?” Snape asked, addressing his question to Malfoy.


“This evening,” Bellatrix responded in a clipped tone, pulling her hood up once again.


“Return to Malfoy Manor,” Lucius instructed as he and Bellatrix slid off the bench seat.


Snape finished off his wine immediately and gathering his things, hurried to catch up.




It was almost dawn when Snape returned to the silent room on Spinner’s End. Walking as softly as he could, Snape knelt before his old school trunk at the end of his bed. His hand clawed through fabric, bumped up against hard corners and finally curled carefully around a small, stoppered potions vial. His head was splitting so violently from mentally sparring with Malfoy and Bellatrix for most of the night. Even the mere thought of drinking the potion made him retch. He took shallow breaths of air through his mouth as he unstoppered the small vial with shaking hands. The liquid fought its way down Snape’s throat and he dropped the empty vial into the trunk. He remained rooted to the spot until the potion began to make its slow journey through his system.


When he could breathe normally again, Snape sat back on his heels and let his roiling stomach quiet. He pushed the lank hair out of his eyes and closed them wearily. The pain in his head had tapered off to a dull thud. Looking at the clock on his bedside table, Snape began rummaging in the trunk again for new robes. He felt considerably better after a shower and some clean clothes. He would even manage to make it to Hogwarts on time.


“I have to see Professor Dumbledore,” Professor Slughorn began, “I need for you to monitor my first potions class today.”


Snape rolled his eyes “ could this day get any worse?


Once Slughorn finished explaining his duties, Snape stalked into the empty potions classroom. Nothing had changed in this room since he had been a student here. Snape heard the sound of approaching students and steeled himself for the task at hand. He stood watching the students as they murmured and took their seats.


“Professor Slughorn has left the following instructions,” said Snape, without bothering to introduce himself.


He waved his wand lazily and the directions appeared clearly on the board.


“You are to work quickly and quietly,” instructed Snape with a sneer “ there would be no chattering while he was in charge.


The door to the dungeon opened and Snape looked up expectantly. Professor Slughorn tottered in carefully. Right behind him was a sight that almost made Snape gasp aloud.


Violet Evans shuffled over to the only empty table left, dumping her cauldron and books onto the surface. She sat quickly, never taking her bright eyes off Snape’s dark ones.


Violet distractedly pulled the cauldron toward her. Slughorn stopped next to Snape and turned slowly. Violet pulled her eyes away from Snape with difficulty and looked quickly at her instructions. She heard Slughorn telling him to leave as her hands reached automatically for the supplies at the end of the table. She misjudged the distance and the crash of the mortar and pestle seemed to reverberate around the silent room forever.


“Severus, please retrieve another from the supply room, would you? I will repair that one later,” Slughorn called after Snape, motioning toward Violet.


Snape left the classroom and walked to the supply room cursing under his breath. He had hoped to successfully evade Violet for as long as possible. He was sure that she had no idea until that moment that he was apprenticing at Hogwarts. Now he had to be concerned with whether or not she would betray his secret. He scowled darkly as he grabbed the new mortar and pestle. So many thoughts swam in his head as he strode back into the potions classroom.


Slughorn motioned in Violet’s direction when Snape appeared in the doorway. Snape walked over to Violet’s table and placed the mortar and pestle down gently.


“You will want to be more careful in the future,” he snapped.


“Yes,” Violet whispered, eyes averted. “I shall.”


Snape noticed her hand shook slightly as she clasped the mortar with her fingers and pulled it across the table.


“Thank you.”


The soft words floated through the loud footfalls as Snape strode from the room.
Caught by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
Special thanks to Allie who has kept me thinking and developing Violet more! Congrats to Frank ~ You made it, baby!


Reminder: I own nothing except Violet. Thank you Jo for letting me play in your world. I'm not making any money here either


~~~~~~~
Snape stood in Slughorn’s private laboratory, stirring methodically as his thoughts drifted back to Violet. The lines around his mouth deepened. The last thing he needed was this little girl nosing around. How he could have thought he would be able to avoid her was pure stupidity on his part. And the arrogance he had possessed in showing off his Dark Mark to her was unforgivable. He had currently placed himself in the precarious position of having to trust her to keep quiet. What a fool he had been! He snorted indignantly and pulled his thoughts back to the moment at hand.


The cauldron simmering slowly in front of him held his third attempt at a Dreamless Sleep potion. The first had caused nightmares, the second “ insomnia. Snape thought that this time he might have it. He filled a few vials and placed them on a rack to cool before stoppering them. The door to the lab opened and Snape glanced up to see Professor Slughorn tottering in.


“Severus,” Slughorn remarked, “how is it coming?”


“I have completed the list, Professor,” Snape replied. “This one is of my own design.”


“Splendid,” Slughorn remarked, reaching Snape’s table and peering into the simmering cauldron. “A sleep potion of some kind?”


Snape nodded once and Slughorn slapped him jovially on the back.


“The nose always knows,” Slughorn said, chuckling as he drifted away.


Snape grimaced and rolled his eyes.


“Oh and, Severus,” Slughorn began, half-turning back to Snape, who looked back up from the table. “Dumbledore has requested that you help tutor a student struggling with Potions.”


Snape looked at him in disbelief. “Who?” he spat.


“Violet Evans,” Slughorn explained.


Snape almost dropped the spoon he had unconsciously picked up out of the potion.


“I do not think--” Snape began.


“-- that it would be a good idea,” Slughorn finished, turning to face Snape fully. “Yes, Albus said you would say that. However, the Headmaster believes this would be most beneficial for Violet.”


Snape’s eyes flashed as Slughorn finished. “And it doesn’t appear that you have a voice in this decision anyway, Severus.”


Snape pressed his lips into a thin line and returned his concentration to the potion.


“You will begin with her tomorrow,” Slughorn told him.


Snape slept a whole night, for which he was thankful. He had no dreams that he knew of and woke with no symptoms customary of an ill-conceived potion. A few more nights of testing and he would share his new concoction with Dumbledore. A self-satisfied smile settled on his lips as he considered how to drum-up a run-in with Lily Potter.


The thought occurred to him in the shower. He would owl Lily to discuss Violet’s progress now that he would be working with her directly. How uncanny that everything fell so neatly into place.


Snape wrote the letter in slow, deliberate strokes and sent the owl before leaving Spinner’s End for the Apparition point.


When he arrived at the lab, Snape found a new potions list with a bit more advanced potions needed in the Hospital Wing. He also found another note from Professor Slughorn instructing him to meet Violet in the Potions classroom right after lunch. They would be meeting daily, the note explained, during the hour-long study break until Dumbledore told them otherwise.


Snape glowered and balled the parchment in his fist. He threw it in the air and flicked his wand at it. It exploded in a burst of purple sparks. He paced the length of the table and turned around. He found the idea of meeting with Violet daily bothersome. Everything about her unsettled him. The very thought of it made him remember how she clung to him in the banquet hall as she cried. His pulse picked up steadily and he frowned. He paced the length of the table again and then stopped suddenly. He now, however, had an iron-clad excuse to see Lily regularly; he hoped the Dark Lord would be pleased. He pushed his feelings of disquiet away. The most important job he had was to serve the Dark Lord and it appeared the Dark Lord was interested in keeping tabs on Lily Potter. Severus Snape was now in the perfect position to do just that.


Snape took lunch in the laboratory, where he reviewed the assignment he was to present to Violet Evans. At ten minutes to one, he cleared away his things and went into the Potions classroom to wait.


Violet entered the room quietly at exactly one o’clock. Snape stood automatically as she crossed the room towards him. They stood awkwardly for a moment until Snape motioned for her to sit at the nearest table.


“Dumbledore has asked that I review some lessons with you,” Snape explained succinctly.


Violet visibly wilted under his harsh glare.


“We will meet daily until your marks improve,” he continued.


Violet looked at Snape, her eyes a whirlwind of emotion.


Snape opened his mouth to speak, but the look in her eyes silenced him and he snapped his mouth shut.


“Why are you here?” she asked quietly.


“What concern is it of yours?” Snape bit back.


Violet was silent for a long moment. When she spoke her voice was barely audible.


“Because of what you are.”


Snape jeered at her.


“That would be funny if not coming directly from a Muggle-born.” He drew the last word out slowly and Violet flinched.


“I didn’t mean your heritage,” she spat, “I meant your Mark!”


Snape’s eyes flashed darkly but he remained silent.


Violet raised her eyes and met his gaze, holding it steadily.


“Who have you told?” he asked evenly.


She did not reply.


“Who?” he asked again.


When she still did not reply he leaned over the table, still holding her gaze; perhaps he should practice for his lessons with Bellatrix.


“What are you afraid of?” he sneered instead.


“You,” she replied simply, looking down. “You are the enemy.”


Snape recoiled as if slapped. He stood straight and rubbed his left forearm absentmindedly, his gaze drifting around the room.


“You would already be hurt, Violet, if I thought you were a danger to me,” he said darkly.


“I can’t work with you,” Violet said quietly.


“Fine,” he replied, his voice without emotion, his face a mask. “You tell that to Dumbledore.”


He turned on his heel, his robes billowing behind as he stalked back to Professor Slughorn’s private laboratory.


The owl from Lily arrived just as Snape was packing up his things for the day. He smirked. Lily would be happy to meet him to discuss Violet’s schoolwork perhaps as soon as tomorrow evening. She would await his return post. He decided not to respond until he determined what Violet would choose to do next.


Snape headed for the Restricted Section of Hogwarts’ vast library to continue his search for Legilimency and Occlumency. If he were to remain on the good side of the Dark Lord, he needed to keep his somewhat questionable activities for Dumbledore still secret. He read for another hour and then decided to make his way home.




Professor McGonagall looked up to see the petite, seventh-year Ravenclaw girl studying her intently. Violet was twirling a strand of her long, wavy auburn hair unconsciously with her finger.


“Can I help you, Miss Evans?” McGonagall inquired.


Violet, who looked to be making her mind up about something, nodded her head and approached the desk purposefully.


“Well, Professor, there is something I would like your opinion on,” Violet explained.


“Of course,” McGonagall replied, putting down her quill and giving Violet her full attention.


Violet seemed to be weighing her words for a moment.


“The Headmaster has assigned me to do some remedial Potions work with Severus Snape,” she explained.


McGonagall nodded her head expectantly.


“I realize, Professor, that Severus is one of the most qualified students in that field and I should be happy to have this opportunity,” Violet went on, her voice trailing off in thought.


“But you are now James Potter’s sister-in-law, are you not?” McGonagall asked.


“I don’t mean to imply,” Violet protested at once.


“I understand, Miss Evans,” McGonagall assured her. “I can appreciate your concern; however, I also do believe that Severus has always kept his feelings focused directly on James.”


Violet nodded.


“Do you know Severus at all, Miss Evans?” McGonagall asked.


“Yes, Professor, he would sometimes work with Lily on Potions assignments. I used to try to hang around the kitchen when they were there,” Violet replied.


Professor McGonagall raised an inquisitive eyebrow and Violet blushed deeply realizing how her response must have sounded.


“He was always very nice,” she finished lamely, looking to the floor.


Professor McGonagall smiled at the corner of her mouth. “And how would you characterize Severus when he was working with your sister?”


Violet looked up.


“He was always very diligent, focused on what he was doing. He seemed very serious all the time,” she remembered.


“Did his difficulties in school seem to interfere with his work with Lily?” McGonagall asked.


“No, never,” Violet replied.


“Have you any indication that he has changed?” McGonagall asked.


Violet shifted her schoolbooks from one arm to the other as the memories of the Dark Mark and the banquet hall went fleeting through her mind.


Her conviction overrode these facts and she answered earnestly, “No
Professor, I don’t believe he has changed much at all.”


“Well, Miss Evans, I do believe you have already made up your mind about this,” McGonagall observed.


“I guess I was just looking for some objective input as well,” Violet told her with a small smile.


“Trust your judgment, Miss Evans,” Professor McGonagall advised. “You are an intelligent young lady.”


Violet left the Transfiguration classroom and walked slowly in the direction of the library. She waved and greeted the classmates and professors she passed on the way. She was neither popular nor not, the kind of girl that everyone in school knew and liked.


Rounding the corner to the library corridor, she noticed Snape just leaving the library. She stopped quickly, blending into a group of talking students to watch him make his way quickly down the stairs without noticing her. He seemed to be a million miles away. At that moment, she decided without hesitation to continue the arrangement in Potions.



Snape had another night of dreamless sleep and left for Hogwarts wondering what would become of the Violet situation. Snape found himself spending an exorbitant amount of time thinking about this girl. He sneered at his reflection in a puddle as he climbed the steps at Hogwarts.


Snape was walking down the long hall toward the dungeons when Professor McGonagall suddenly appeared before him.


“A word, Severus?” she asked in a clipped tone.


“Professor?” he replied.


McGonagall led him to a small classroom adjacent to the hallway.


“One of my students came to see me last night, Severus,” she began.


Snape tensed.


“You are supposed to tutor Violet Evans in Potions?” she asked.


“Dumbledore’s orders,” he replied.


“Violet tells me she knows you from her sister, Lily.”


“Correct,” Snape replied.


“She is concerned about this, ah, arrangement, Severus,” she told him.


He remained silent.


“Even as adults, you and James can’t seem to get along.”


Snape bristled at the mention of Potter.


Professor McGonagall held up a warning hand. “I want your word, Severus. You will not take your anger out on Lily’s sister.”


Snape smirked.


Nice try, he thought.


“Of course, Professor,” he replied.


“I assured Miss Evans that you have matured, Severus. Don’t make a liar of me,” she snapped.

Unbreakable by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
Thank you to Allie for reading and then rereading! Hope you enjoyed your birthday surprise :)


Welcome Frank to the real world! - a place where you can read & write fanfiction for as long as you have time when not at work!!! LOL Hope you like it here!


~~~~~~~~
Snape stood, waiting in the Potions classroom, as Violet hesitantly stepped inside. Their eyes met and she held her gaze as she walked across the room.


“Changed your mind?” Snape inquired coldly, his lips curling into a self-satisfied smile.


Violet remained silent as she unpacked her bag.


“Professor McGonagall came to see me,” he told her in an even tone.


Snape noticed the slight pause in her movements, but she still did not speak.


“I expected you to blab like a baby,” he goaded.


Violet took a deep breath and then looked square into Snape’s face. Her expression was stony as she replied, “There is nothing to tell.”


Snape narrowed his eyes at her but did not rise to the bait.


“Look, Severus,” Violet said with an exasperated sigh, “I don’t know what is going on with you. I don’t know why you are here at Hogwarts. I do know that I liked you when you were Lily’s friend. I still like you now. Lily trusts you so I trust you, Severus. Whatever happens from here, I will never be one to betray you.”


Snape leaned silently against the table across from where Violet stood regarding him. He watched her turn her attention to her lesson. He had no idea what to make of this girl. He continued to appraise her for some time in silence.


“Add more frog spawn,” he directed.


Violet did as he commanded and smiled as the potion changed color.


“Did that correct the mistake?” Snape asked.


“Yes, thank you,” she responded.


“Leave a sample for Professor Slughorn,” he told her.


Violet began ladling the potion into two small vials. She looked up at Snape who continued to lean against a nearby table, legs crossed at the ankles.


“What is he like?” she asked quietly.


Snape shifted forward quickly so he was now standing over a head taller than her petite frame. Violet did not back away.


“Why do you ask?” he demanded.


“I am curious,” she replied.


Snape scoffed at her.


“I could never hope to explain the essence of the Dark Lord,” he whispered reverently.


“Have you seen him personally?” she questioned, pinning him with her even gaze.


Snape scowled and turning quickly, stalked down the row between the work tables.


“What is he like?” she persisted, waving her wand and cleaning up her work station.


Snape turned and stalked back up the aisle until he stood facing her.


“His presence is commanding,” he explained in a low tone. “He is the most powerful wizard alive.”


“The most powerful dark wizard,” she replied emphasizing the word.


“Knowledge is power, Violet,” Snape told her. “He uses magic in ways most people only dream about.”


“Wisdom means knowing when not to use magic at all,” she retorted.


“Don’t be foolish!” Snape exclaimed.


“Knowledge is not the same thing as power, Severus,” she told him, crossing her arms in front of her and casting him a measured glance. “Power demands oppressing another; knowledge is merely the sharing of information between two parties.”


He scowled at her again.


“You are oversimplifying this,” he said.


“It is more than semantics,” she agreed. “This is about good versus evil.”


“It is about power,” Snape replied, “and nothing more. If you concede quietly, then no one need get hurt.”


Violet walked quickly around the table to stand directly in front of Snape. He resisted the urge to step back from her as the scent of vanilla played about her presence.


“Do you really believe that?” she demanded harshly. “If we give over quietly no one will get hurt? I am a Muggle-born, Severus. Your Dark Lord wants to write me out of existence. It amazes me that he allows you to live and breathe knowing that you are teaching me!”


“Don’t be ridiculous!” Snape responded. “The Dark Lord has more pressing things to concern himself with than the likes of you and me.”


Violet shook her head slowly and turned to gather her things.


“If you were seeking knowledge Severus, you should have been talking to Professor Dumbledore! He is the only living wizard to maintain control and restore everything to balance. That is knowledge that is worth something.”


Snape unconsciously took a step back as she shifted her gaze to him again, a sudden dawning of comprehension in her eyes.


“All of this, Severus, just because of James and his friends?” she asked in a strangled whisper. The agony of this one thought was written all over her face.


He strode past her roughly.


“I have work. Leave those for Slughorn.”


Snape reluctantly sent Lily an owl after Violet’s lesson setting his appointment for three days hence. He spent the remainder of his day checking his potions and researching alternatives for the Calming Draught. He struggled to get the pained look on Violet’s face out of his mind. His Dark Mark started to tingle as he stacked the tomes in a pile. He had never been personally summoned before. He rubbed his forearm unconsciously and stalked from the library, brooding. He was halfway to the front door, his arm now searing with pain, when Dumbledore called his name.


Snape turned on the spot, using every ounce of self-restraint he possessed to not appear alarmed.


“Severus, do you have time for tea and a quick update?” the older wizard asked. “Are you alright? You look preoccupied.”


“Actually, sir, I am on my way out,” Snape replied, shifting uncomfortably, his hands clenching and unclenching at his side. “Something to attend to.”


“Very well, very well,” Dumbledore remarked thoughtfully. “Tomorrow perhaps?”


Snape nodded once and thought he saw a flicker of something in the older wizard’s face.


Dumbledore patted his shoulder kindly and turned, gliding in the direction of the Great Hall.


Snape walked quickly out of Hogwarts to the Apparition point, where he was summoned directly to his meeting with the Dark Lord.


When he arrived, Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange were already in the anteroom conversing quietly.


Never before had Snape had such a private audience with the Dark Lord. He stood in the doorway awkwardly, looking from Malfoy to Bellatrix.


“Come,” said a high, cold voice from the dark shadows on the other side of the room.


A door swung silently shut behind them as they crossed the large space, plunging them into semi-darkness. Snape knelt almost prostrate before the figure seated in a large, wing-back chair, his breath coming in shallow gasps. In a moment he was flanked by Malfoy on one side and Bellatrix on the other.


“Severus, my servant, welcome,” the figure rasped, causing the hair on the back of Snape’s neck to prickle.


“My Lord,” Snape breathed, so low he could scarcely be heard.


“Lucius speaks very highly of you.”


Snape flicked his eyes toward Malfoy, who smiled at the corner of his mouth.


“Even Bella, it seems, is quite taken with your abilities at Occlumency.”


Snape glanced and saw Bellatrix scowl darkly.


“Now that is praise of the highest caliber,” the Dark Lord informed him.


Bellatrix softened her scowl and glanced at the Dark Lord, a small smile on her lips, before fixing her eyes back on the floor.


“It is good that you have come to me, Severus. The cause will advance because of such as you.”


“Thank you, my Lord,” Snape whispered reverently, his heart beating fast in his chest.


“A reward, then,” the Dark Lord suggested, motioning for his servants to stand, “to welcome another devoted follower and friend of Lucius to the fold. Lucius, are you prepared?”


“Yes, my Lord, I will see to it,” Malfoy assured them as he fixed his gaze on Snape, eyes alight with pleasure.


Severus Snape killed his first Muggle that night, but it did not give him the rush he anticipated. Perhaps it was because he never did appreciate a fight where one side had a distinct advantage, or perhaps it was because he could not get the face of Violet Evans, tears glistening on her lashes, out of his mind.


Snape arrived at Hogwarts the next day, completely distracted, which was totally unlike him.


“Severus, are you alright?” Violet asked him as he stood silently, looking down into her cauldron.


It was the feather-light touch on his palm that finally pulled him back to the present moment.


“You have a scar,” Violet murmured, looking into his face questioningly.


He slowly curled his hand into a fist.


“Why didn’t you heal it?” she asked.


“I wanted to remember,” he told her in a low voice with uncharacteristic candor.


“You seem different somehow…distant…” she told him. “Are you alright?”


He leaned toward her suddenly, a slow smile creeping across his lips, but not reaching his eyes.


“I killed someone last night,” he whispered silkily.


Violet gasped, clasping a hand to her mouth.


“I am bound to him forever now,” he continued in the same silky tone.


She shuddered and turned her back on him. She rubbed her fingers viperously on the fabric of her school cloak.


“It is not contagious,” he sneered.


Violet sat frozen in her seat. Her first reaction was to run screaming out of the Potions classroom and never see Severus Snape again. A small part of her wanted to kick and punch him until she could knock some sense into him. The middle ground allowed for a strangled sob to escape her mouth as she turned back to look him in the eye.


“How could you?” she breathed, looking sick.


“I wanted to see…to know,” he replied thoughtfully.


“Know what?” she asked, her voice shrilly rising up an octave.


“How it felt,” he replied.


“What?” she spat. “You killed a person to see how it felt? You are sick!”


“No, actually, he was sick,” Snape replied simply.


“What?” she asked again.


“He was very sick, I knew. I found a very sick man,” Snape told her.


Violet shook her head in disbelief.


“I find no fun in killing,” he said dismissively.


“Well that is a relief,” Violet replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm. She took a deep breath.


“Why would you serve him, Severus? That man is pure evil,” she said vehemently. “He is turning you into a killer. Wait, you are a killer!”
“I did that poor man a favor,” Snape protested, “even if he didn’t know it.”


Violet stood quickly. “That doesn’t make it okay! People do not kill people for sport. How could you?” she asked again, beginning to throw her books back into her bag.


“You aren’t finished here,” Snape told her coldly.


“I am now!” she spat, turning and rushing from the room.


Snape watched the retreating figure with a shrug. He flicked his wand lazily and everything on the work table vanished. He turned and walked back to the private laboratory, where he retrieved a few small vials of the new Dreamless Sleep potion to bring to the Headmaster’s office.




Violet left the Potions classroom in a daze. She went immediately to her dormitory, deciding that a quick change of clothes would help her state of mind. She passed a few classmates in the corridors but did not even register their presence. She could not get the look on Snape’s face or the timbre of his silky voice out of her mind.


It was as if he had no remorse for the events of the night before. He had told her almost proudly of what he had done. She shivered thinking that there was one less person in the world today because of what Snape had done.


Arriving in her dormitory, Violet quickly changed her robes and her clothes, leaving the old ones in a heap on the floor. She knew the house elves would take care of them before she returned from her afternoon classes, though she felt guilty at not tossing them down the laundry shoot. Pulling a brush through her hair and splashing some cold water on her face, she stood for a few minutes, leaning over the sink. She watched the water swirling down the drain and with a pang of melancholy she thought about the man who had died.


Who had he been? Did he have family? Was someone missing him right now? She bit her lip to keep from crying. And then she thought of Snape.


How does a person just decide one day that it is okay to kill someone? Violet thought there was more to it than that, but it seemed pretty simple in the analysis.


Shaking her head as if to clear it, she gathered up her book bag and left quickly. It occurred to her that she would probably be late for her next class. But she did not feel like even going to class. It seemed like such a trivial thing to do after hearing about someone committing a murder.


Violet continued to shake her head slowly as she walked through the empty corridors - the only substance greater than hate was love. Violet stopped for a moment to look out one of the tall, mullioned windows overlooking the lake. At what point did someone just lose all connection to the conscious? She didn’t know the answer to that question, but she was not quite ready to give up on Snape just yet. She turned from the window and firmly planted one foot in front of the other.




Snape dismissed his encounter with Violet and concentrated on banishing his thoughts about the night before so as to have a clear mind when facing Dumbledore.


Snape strode out of the corridor and made his way purposefully to the Headmaster’s office. Professor Flitwick was just stepping down from the last stair when Snape rounded the corner.


“Severus,” Flitwick said by way of a greeting.


“Professor,” Snape replied, “is the Headmaster available?”


“Professor Dumbledore said you would be arriving. He is expecting you,” Flitwick told him.


Snape stepped onto the lowest step.


“Pecan Sandies,” Flitwick said over his shoulder.


Snape creased his brow. “What?”


“The new password,” Flitwick called, retreating rapidly down the corridor.


“Pecan Sandies?” Snape questioned in a low voice, as the staircase spun slowly upward.


The door to the Headmaster’s office opened before him, and Snape saw Dumbledore sitting glumly behind his oak desk. Snape crossed the expanse with long strides, and placed the potion vials carefully on the desk in front of Dumbledore. Dumbledore looked at them sadly. The room remained silent.


Snape shifted from one foot to the other and back again. Still Dumbledore did not speak.


“Headmaster, are you ill?” Snape finally asked when it was quite clear that Dumbledore had no intention of speaking.


“Sick to death, Severus,” Dumbledore replied quietly, after a few more moments of drawn out silence.


Snape did not know how to respond.


“Have you made this yourself?” the Headmaster asked, waving a hand toward the vials.


“Of course!” Snape snapped, reacting to the ambivalent atmosphere hanging over the room.


Dumbledore picked up his wand slowly and touched the side of the vial closest to him. The potion glowed with the look of fresh snowfall.


Snape’s mouth gaped open.


“Surely, Headmaster, you don’t think that I --” Severus began.


Dumbledore held up a hand to silence him.


“Surely you have not forgotten, Severus, that we are at war?” the Headmaster retorted, shortly.


Snape clenched his teeth. They had obviously treaded onto dangerous ground. Snape would need to remain focused and alert.


“What I fail to understand, Severus, is why Lord Voldemort is compelled to drag poor, innocent Muggles into the equation,” Dumbledore said, sighing. “Perhaps you can explain it to me.”


Snape could hear his heart beating so loudly in his ears that he was quite sure Dumbledore could hear it also.


Dumbledore looked at Snape kindly. “Forgive this old man’s melancholy,” he said quietly. “Thank you for your hard work, Severus.”


Snape nodded but remained silent, not trusting himself to speak.


Dumbledore waved a dismissive hand and Snape turned to leave. The Headmaster’s voice reached him as the door opened itself.


“A new potion after only a week…you have earned my sincerest respect.”


Snape almost blanched as he rushed through the door.


After a few minutes, Snape was striding across the sloping lawn of Hogwarts. The late afternoon was cool as he pulled the collar up on his frock coat. He felt altogether miserable. He could not seem to catch his breath, his heart was still pounding and he continually brushed the hair out of his eyes with one hand. He found himself pacing the distance between the lake shore and the fateful tree from fifth year. His eyes flashed daggers at the memories skulking around the edges of his mind.


He had earned Dumbledore’s respect. He stopped pacing then, turning to stare over the wide expanse of lake. It was almost more than his heart could bear.
Connections by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
Thanks go to Allie for helping Violet develop into such a cool character!


Matthew McMillian is my own invention as well!


Enjoy!


~~~~~
A full week passed, during which Snape became more and more distant. Violet had not returned to her lessons, the Headmaster had requested a whole cauldron of Dreamless Sleep, and there was no news from Lucius Malfoy.


Snape had called off his meeting with Lily Potter; he needed to focus on what was truly important. He spent many hours in the library researching for Professor Slughorn and devouring everything he set eyes on regarding Legilimency and Occlumency.


Violet struggled to decide what to do about her appointments with Snape. Dumbledore would not let this go on for too long, and she was unwilling to disclose to him everything she knew. The idea of working regularly with Severus Snape, since his alarming confession, made her skin crawl. Unlike him, she just could not turn off her feelings. She considered the matter for some time, thinking back on her conversation with Professor McGonagall. The thing with Snape however, was that he could place his feelings into little compartments.


“What has gotten you all in a state?” asked Matthew McMillian, as they were sitting at the Ravenclaw table eating dinner. “You seem very preoccupied.”


“I am. I’m supposed to meet with Severus Snape to work on my abysmal Potions lessons,” Violet told him, frowning.


“So?” Matthew prodded.


“I don’t know,” Violet hedged. “I don’t really trust him.”


“What does trust have to do with it?” Matthew asked, perplexed.


Violet shrugged.


“Shouldn’t you just be concerned with whether or not he could teach you the information?” Matthew suggested. “Unless, of course, you are concerned for his sense of propriety “”


“No,” Violet replied, “that isn’t it. I’m not concerned to be alone with him or anything like that.”


“Are you sure?” Matthew questioned.


“Absolutely, but thanks for your concern,” Violet told him, smiling.


Matthew nodded his head. “I would be more concerned with my Potions grade than his trustworthiness, but that’s just me.”


Violet smiled broadly, considering that Matthew was probably right about this one.


It was Wednesday afternoon at one o’clock when the door to the Potions classroom opened and Violet stepped in, cautiously looking around. The room was empty, so she walked over to the table she normally sat at and unloaded her things.


When the bottom of her cauldron touched the surface of the table, a stack of parchment appeared in the corner. There were seven -- one for every lesson she had missed with Severus Snape.


Violet had just finished dumping in the last bit of dried ingredients from parchment number one, when a door across from her table opened silently. Violet glanced up as Snape walked slowly over to where she worked. For a long time, neither of them spoke.


Then finally “ “We will skip none of them,” Snape said, coolly.


Violet nodded her head to show she had heard.


Snape leaned his back against the table directly opposite Violet and folded his arms securely over his chest, frowning slightly.


Violet’s hand trembled as she stirred the liquid that was simmering in her cauldron.


“Now, four stirs counter-clockwise,” Snape instructed, quietly.


Violet’s hand stilled and she began slowly turning the potion in the opposite direction.


“It smells correct,” Snape told her, relaxing his stance slightly. He stepped lightly over to her table as she removed the spoon and stopped the heat.


Snape peered down into the cauldron.


“Correct color,” he announced, placing his palms down on either side of the cauldron. “Two vials.”


Violet pulled two small vials from her cloak pocket and filled them with the potion. She placed the first in the cooling rack, and the second she handed to Snape. Their fingers touched and Snape felt her shudder.


Violet lifted her head and fixed him with a piercing gaze.


“It is difficult,” she breathed, “to justify who I know with what you are.”


Snape’s lip curled but he did not respond.


“You just don’t fit,” she told him, matter-of-factly.


Snape shook his head.


“I have warned you,” he began, coolly.


Impulsively, Violet reached across the table then and placed her palm on Snape’s cheek. It was soft and warm against his cool, taut skin. The scent of vanilla filled his nose. He almost closed his eyes from the pleasure of it.


Snape jerked away from her hand, snapping his eyes onto her face and forcing her features into focus. She stood simply and beautifully before him. He scowled at her.


“That is completely inappropriate,” he barked.


“Why?” she challenged.


“I am your tutor,” he replied, stepping back.


“Say what you mean, Severus,” she told him.


“Don’t play games,” he warned, clenching his fists.


“And you mean to say that someone of the likes of me could never be interested in the likes of you,” she stated flatly.


Snape glared at her.


“You are partly right,” she told him in a placating tone. “If you were the man I remembered, then I would be attracted to you, but who you have chosen to be breaks my heart.”


“Thank you for letting me know,” he sneered. “I am sure now I will be able to sleep soundly at night.”


Violet sighed. “What did I ever do to deserve this?”


“Don’t worry,” he told her, clearing away the rest of her work with his wand, “I share your sentiment.”


He turned and left her standing there wondering what exactly he had meant.


Violet packed up her things silently and went back to her common room. It was nearly empty so she sat heavily in one of the blue-upholstered, throne-back chairs. She leaned back her head and closed her eyes. Normally so rational, she was surprised at her impulsive action. It seemed that when it came to Snape, she was having more and more difficulty thinking clearly. His response to her touch on his cheek belied his consternation at what had happened.


Violet knew now that he found her attractive, no matter what words he had used. She tried to focus on how that could help her to persuade him to the truth. She considered going to speak to Dumbledore, but she did not want to break Snape’s confidence. She feared that once she had, she would lose him altogether.


Things were so complicated right now. She sighed heavily and stood quickly. She left the common room and strode through the corridors. Her intuition told her that she should really just leave well enough alone. Perhaps what she really needed to do was to apologize.




Snape had difficulty concentrating as he tried to focus on the Occlumency book he was perusing through in the library. It would do him well to keep as far ahead of Bellatrix as he could. His mind however, kept returning to his last meeting in Dumbledore’s office. Since then, things were just not right to him.


He had found a way to earn the respect of a wizard of Dumbledore’s stature, yet he also had a mostly private audience with the Dark Lord. He felt very torn by the entire situation. What’s more, he completely believed his words to Violet. Violence was only necessary because of resistance.


At the end of afternoon classes, Snape snapped the book shut and placed it carefully on Irma Pince’s desk. He walked for a long time, just strolling around the castle, trying to figure everything out. It seemed that quite recently, everything was beginning to get very slowly out of hand.


Snape had held it against Dumbledore for all these years that the Marauders had never been justly punished for the little trick that had almost cost him his life. Now, just this week in fact, Dumbledore had stated his respect for Snape’s potion making ability. Where was the truth in all this?


“Severus?” a woman’s voice called.


Snape stopped walking and turned on his heel to face Violet. He lifted his eyebrows in exasperation but remained silent.


“May I walk with you?”


He nodded his assent but did not offer her his arm. He wondered why she would seek him out now.


“I owe you an apology,” she explained as they began to walk in step along the corridor.


“For?” he asked.


“For everything,” she replied.


He looked at her sardonically. “Accepted,” he said shortly; perhaps now she would leave him alone.


“No, Severus, really!” she exclaimed, stopping and turning to face him.


He looked at her coolly and was surprised to see her eyes glistening with unshed tears.


She took a deep breath. “Look, can I be honest here?”


Snape felt his stomach lurch and the same feeling of discomfort creep up his back. He tried to push away the disquiet, but he could not focus. His heartbeat had sped up and his breathing was shallow.


“Severus, you are breaking my heart,” Violet told him as one tear made its way down her cheek.


He looked at her with disdain and opened his mouth to speak.


“Let me finish!” she insisted.


He closed his mouth so quickly that she heard the click of his teeth.


“I doubt that you have any idea how difficult this is for me,” she said, “being with you so often. Watching who you are and then who you tell me you will be. Severus, you have a brilliant mind. There are so many things you could do, so many good things. Why would you throw it all away? For what? To get back at a bunch of bullies?”


Snape did not notice that her hand was resting gently on his cloak.


“What did you say?” Snape asked her, sharply. “What did you just say?”


“I’m not stupid, Severus. I saw how they treated you. James and Sirius… they were merciless. Remus, not as much… but still, they were horrible and mean.”


Snape looked through her, memories from years before playing out in his head. He blinked slowly. Violet’s face swam up to him, a look of deepest compassion. He tensed, searching her eyes for any sign of pity.


“You have no need to apologize,” he stated quietly.


She remained silent, holding his gaze with her own.


“What would you have me do?” he asked finally, dropping his gaze to the floor.


She ran her hand up the front of his cloak, slowly coming to rest along the side of his neck. She had the softest touch he had ever known. He swallowed and closed his eyes.


“You are not a killer, Severus,” she whispered, reassuringly.


She stepped closer to him and, very slowly, she circled him with her arms. He did not move to return her embrace but he did not break free either, for which she was grateful.


They stood that way for a few moments in silence. Snape tried to memorize the feel of her against his chest. Slowly, he put his arms around her, pulling her more tightly against him. His eyes snapped open.


“Violet!” he exclaimed, despairingly.


“We can fix this,” she assured him.


He wrenched away from her, his breath coming in short gasps.


“Do not say I am not a killer! I have killed a man, Violet. You know this to be true,” he reminded her soberly with his back to her. “I am bound to him for life now. There is nothing to fix.”


“Dumbledore,” she begged.


“No!” he exclaimed.


Violet took a deep breath and walked around to face him.


“What will you do then?” she asked, calmly.


“I will do my duty as I have pledged,” he told her simply.


“Good Lord, Severus!” she exclaimed. “This is not a time to stand on principle.”


“What would you have me do?” he asked again.


“You made a mistake,” she began.


“I made a choice,” he corrected, tensing. “I made a choice for myself.”


Violet shuddered.


“When the Dark Lord receives the respect of the rest of the wizarding world, none of this will matter,” he told her.


“You fail to see, Severus,” she told him, “that this is nothing short of war.”


Snape scowled. “I need to leave,” he said, looking at his pocketwatch.


“No, please!”


“I think we can agree, Violet,” Snape stated, “that this is becoming very serious business.”


Violet sighed resignedly. “Are you seeing the Death Eaters?”


Snape’s eyes flashed. “Do not worry about things that do not concern you.”


She grabbed his hand by the wrist. “Everything about you concerns me,” she told him firmly, lifting his hand and laying it on her cheek, “don’t you understand?” She closed her eyes.


Snape looked down on her, completely at a loss for what to say to this beautiful girl.


“Violet,” he murmured.


She opened her eyes. “Trust me,” she begged.


“I will not endanger you,” he replied, looking deeply into her eyes, willing her to understand the gravity of the situation.


“We are safe here,” she encouraged stepping toward him. “This is Hogwarts.”


“If this is war,” he reminded, “as you are so fond of saying, then there is safety nowhere. I must go.”


“Be careful,” she begged, letting go of his hand.


Snape stalked away quickly, taking deep breaths and trying to calm his beating heart. He rounded another corner and leaned his hand against the cool, rock wall for support. He bowed his head and closed his eyes continuing to take slow deep breaths. He stood silently in the dimly lit hallway, trying to sort through his feelings toward Violet. He was due to meet Bellatrix in twenty minutes and he had no idea how to shut out so many memories, especially memories he was so emotionally invested in.


He cursed suddenly and slammed his palm against the wall.


“Are you alright, Severus?” Dumbledore appeared silently at his side.


He looked to Dumbledore coolly, hoping desperately that his eyes did not betray him.


Dumbledore met his gaze.


“I have to… In a few minutes I will… I can’t,” Snape stammered.


“Do you trust me, Severus?” Dumbledore asked quietly.


Snape did not reply immediately. He ran his fingers through his lank hair and sighed heavily.


“Sir, I…” he began.


“Severus, do you trust me?” Dumbledore demanded.


When Snape still did not reply, Dumbledore frowned.


“Sometimes in life, Severus, people make choices in haste, before they have all the information or before their life changes in some way,” he stated. “When this happens, situations need to be reassessed and plans need to be made.”


“When did Violet talk to you?” Snape demanded angrily.


“Violet did not speak to me,” Dumbledore replied, calmly.


“Who did she talk to, then?” Snape demanded.


“Severus,” Dumbledore said, sounding weary suddenly, “Violet has not broken your confidence. I do not have time to get into this now. Actually, it is you that does not have the time.”


Dumbledore tapped his watch with the wand that Snape just noticed he was holding. Reflexively, Snape stepped back.


“I ask again, Severus, do you trust me?”


Dumbledore pulled a small empty bottle out of his cloak.


Snape nodded once.


Dumbledore stepped close to Snape and raised his wand to Snape’s temple.


“This will not hurt,” he stated, “but I need to see to be sure.”


Snape felt the tug of Legilimency. Reflexively, he closed his mind in on itself.


“I need to see,” Dumbledore reminded him quietly.


Snape crossed his arms tightly over his chest to shut out his embarrassment at being attracted to Violet. He cheeks flushed as he thought of her and he could feel his memories snaking away from him. He opened his eyes, momentarily alarmed, and saw the memories floating like a gossamer strand from his mind to Dumbledore’s wand. When the strand broke free from his mind, he felt oddly empty. He watched Dumbledore carefully capture the strand in the glass bottle. Once it was safely inside, Dumbledore sealed the top and placed an Unbreakable charm upon it.


“It will be safe here, I promise,” Dumbledore told him. “I will return it to you when you come back. Ask me your questions then.”


Again he patted Snape kindly on the back.


“Go now,” Dumbledore commanded. “Tardiness will result in suspicion.”


It seemed as if Dumbledore vanished from the corridor; Snape had not even offered his thanks.




Snape’s meeting with Bellatrix was fairly routine. He was particularly bothered however, by the fact that Bellatrix had been able to break into some of his older memories of Violet Evans; things he remembered about her from when he and Lily would study together at her home.


“Now that’s a darling girl,” Bellatrix had cooed when she first caught sight of her.


Snape flexed his hands by his side, determined to shut down his blossoming feelings toward Violet that these thoughts of her seemed to cause in him. It was imperative that Bellatrix not know anything more.


As if she could sense his struggle, Bellatrix asked, “Come now, Severus, isn’t there a certain special someone just for you?”


At that moment, Snape was able to drive Bellatrix completely from his mind, the effort of which brought him to his knees.


“Good,” she cooed softly, “you are learning to focus your emotional energy.”


Snape breathed heavily and pushed himself back up to his feet.


“Isn’t that girl Lily Evans’s sister?” Bellatrix asked.


“So?” Snape asked indifferently.


The door across the room opened loudly and Lucius Malfoy stalked in.


“Bella, we must go,” he stated.


“Our friend here seems to be in thick with some Muggles,” she told Malfoy unable to hide her glee as she motioned toward Snape.


Malfoy nodded in Snape’s direction.


“Severus,” he said in greeting.


Returning his attention to Bellatrix, Malfoy scowled.


“You tell me these things as if you do not think the Dark Lord knows who his associates are,” he said. “I assure you once again, Bella; the Dark Lord has some very definite plans for our young friend here. But as I said, we must go.”


Bellatrix eyed Snape once again. He stood a short distance away, rubbing a hand over his eyes.


“He is very good,” she conceded finally, looking at Lucius.


“Severus, you may take dinner in my study,” Malfoy remarked. “I will contact you when your presence is needed here. Good night.”


Snape opened his eyes slowly, a small smile playing on his lips as he looked from Malfoy to Bellatrix.


“Thank you for dinner,” he said to their backs as they hurried from the room.


Snape made his way cautiously to Malfoy’s study. As soon as he stepped inside, Dobby the house elf appeared with a steaming tray of food. He ate quickly, wanting to be out of Malfoy Manor as soon as he could.


Snape climbed the steps slowly in the dark house at Spinner’s End. The throbbing in his head had quickly subsided this time. Practicing with Bellatrix did have some advantages.


He walked through his room, waving his wand to light a couple of candles. He sat down heavily in the wooden desk chair and sighed. He conjured a cup of tea and sipped it slowly, thinking about the events of the day.


Tomorrow he would be faced with handling the Dumbledore situation. It was obvious that Dumbledore knew something of what was going on with him outside Hogwarts. He wondered also what Dumbledore knew of Violet. Dumbledore told him to bring his questions when he went back to collect his memory and he intended to do just that.


Dumbledore had left enough of the encounter with Violet for Snape to be very uncomfortable with the way things were heading between them. Snape stared into the flame of the candle absently. He still could not understand what Violet Evans saw in him. It had been a long time since he had seen her before the incident at the banquet hall, but since that time, she had not made much of an effort to keep her thoughts and feelings to herself. True, over the years, he had developed a fondness for her sister Lily, but that had been strained since the incident by the lake in fifth year. During that time, he had never even paid much attention to Violet, let alone entertained any thoughts of having feelings for her.


He frowned. Currently, Snape was not in any position to even think about a relationship with Violet. He had a duty to fulfill, one that was incompatible with any sort of personal life. He felt disappointment weigh heavily on his heart. After all this time, Snape finally met someone that he could see himself with, and now it was too late.
Faith and Reason by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
So sorry for the very lengthy delay in updating! Been off having some HP fun - saw the Muggleboys...Real life has just gotten away from me. Thanks for your patience
There was a note from Professor Slughorn asking that Snape immediately meet with the Headmaster when Snape arrived the next morning. Snape had a fleeting thought about collecting his things from the lab as he stood, still looking down on the parchment. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and then walked soberly out of the Potions laboratory. As he made his way through the maze of corridors, Snape’s thoughts drifted. He had finally come to realize how important Hogwarts was to him. He had been able to gain the respect of a wizard like Dumbledore. He enjoyed his Potions apprenticeship. He could not even think about how Violet fit in.


The gargoyle looked at him menacingly, or so he thought. He eyed it cautiously, realizing he did not have the password. The words “ ‘sugar quill’ “ sprang to his mind so he stepped up and tried them out.


The door to the Headmaster’s office opened softly as the stairs stopped turning. Snape peered into the open doorway. Dumbledore stood with his back to Snape, looking out the window.


Snape took a few steps cautiously into the room.


Dumbledore turned slowly, giving Snape a sad smile. He reached into his robe and pulled out a small glass bottle.


“I have something that is yours,” Dumbledore said, holding out the bottle.


Snape walked to where Dumbledore was standing and took the small bottle out of his hand. For a few moments neither of them spoke.


“Can you teach me…” Snape began, his voice cracking. He cleared his throat.


“Can you teach me that incantation?” Snape asked.


Dumbledore shook his head and Snape’s face fell. He felt a burst of anger wash over him all at once. He clenched his fists.


“Show me,” Dumbledore commanded calmly.


Snape met Dumbledore’s eyes but did not move. Dumbledore registered the flash of anger in Snape’s face and took a step closer rather than backing down.


“Show me,” Dumbledore said again, quieter.


Snape looked down and hunched his shoulders.


“I can help you, Severus,” Dumbledore suggested.


Snape turned on his heel and stalked a few steps away.


“Help me with what?” he spat, his back to the Headmaster.


“Tolerate your new situation.”


Snape turned around, glowering at Dumbledore.


“There is no fixing this,” Snape told him.


“I know,” Dumbledore responded calmly.


“I will do my duty,” Snape said.


“As I expected,” Dumbledore replied.


“Why don’t you kick me out?” Snape asked bitterly.


“Wouldn’t that be a bit extreme?” Dumbledore asked. “Toffee?”


Snape shook his head, answering both questions at once.


“I was expecting you would return to Hogwarts,” Dumbledore told him, drifting over to a seat in front of the large oak desk. “Seat?”


Snape remained standing.


“How do you know all this?” Snape asked.


“Come have a seat,” Dumbledore ordered quietly.


Reluctantly, Snape obeyed.


“Show me,” Dumbledore said again.


Snape scowled, but this time he carefully turned up his cuff.


Dumbledore looked at the Mark on his arm for a long time, his brows furrowed together.


“Did it hurt?” he asked curiously, lifting his finger to trace the outline of it in the air above Snape’s forearm. “I imagine Dark Magic of that magnitude to be horribly painful.”


Snape did not respond, remembering with a shudder, pain so intense that he had blacked out.


“How did you know?” Snape asked finally.


“I didn’t for sure,” Dumbledore responded. “I hoped I still had a chance.”


“A chance?” Snape asked.


“To win your trust; win your allegiance,” Dumbledore explained, looking at Snape sadly. “What’s done is done.”


Snape rolled down his cuff and shifted in his seat uncomfortably.


“You realize, Severus, your life is now in danger?” Dumbledore asked.


Snape looked at him quizzically.


“With a Dark Mark, any Order member can kill you on sight.”


Snape shuddered involuntarily.


“Order member?” he asked.


“Order of the Phoenix, Severus. It’s a little name we are calling the good guys… well I guess that isn’t accurate exactly “ they aren’t all what you would consider to be ‘good.’ It is the name for those actively fighting to oppose Lord Voldemort.”


Snape looked down at his hands.


“I would like to offer you some protection,” Dumbledore told him.


“Protection?”


“I can keep you safe from the Order,” Dumbledore explained.


“Why?”


“I need you,” he replied. “I need your skills and your intelligence in potions making.”


Snape did not respond at first.


“What do you want from me?” Snape asked wearily.


“Your word,” Dumbledore explained, shifting toward him. “You will not share anything with them before first talking to me. Let me continue to protect your memories.”


“Why?”


“Because they will use them against you, Severus, and they will use them against people I care about; people I have sworn to protect.”


Snape thought about this for a few moments.


“What about Violet?” Snape asked quickly.


‘What about her?” Dumbledore responded.


“Has she talked to you?” Snape asked.


“She has not,” Dumbledore replied.


“I am concerned for her,” Snape admitted, leaning forward in his chair.


“She is an excellent judge of character,” he assured Snape. “She seems to be right about you.”


Snape did not respond.


“She could be in danger,” Snape stated finally.


“Indeed,” Dumbledore agreed.


“What should I do?” Snape asked.


“Be sure to see me before you see them,” Dumbledore replied. “I will do what I can to keep her well-protected. And under no circumstances are you to be seen with her outside of Hogwarts.”


Snape nodded in his assent.


“Severus, will this help make your situation more tolerable?” he asked.


Snape nodded.


Dumbledore leaned back and regarded Snape silently over his steepled fingers.


“People make mistakes,” Dumbledore began.


Snape bristled. “I made a choice!”


“Regrettably a poor one, however,” Dumbledore remarked. “Your choice, Severus, has put a great many people “ including yourself “ in unparalleled danger.”


Snape did not respond.


“Regardless,” Dumbledore continued. “I will do what I can to ensure your safety here. I trust that you will not do anything considerably foolish without consulting me first.”


“Agreed,” Snape responded.


“Any questions?” Dumbledore asked.


“What do you use the Dreamless Sleep potion for?”


Dumbledore smiled as he stood slowly.


“I have sent it out to Muggle hospitals. It is given as medicine to any Muggle that ends up on the wrong side of Lord Voldemort or one of his Death Eaters. Sleeping without nightmares helps speed up recovery.”


Snape left his meeting with Dumbledore, feeling a mixture of emotions: elation at not having to leave Hogwarts, relief at not needing to lie to Dumbledore, and fear at how it would all work out in the end with the Dark Lord.


He returned to the Potions laboratory, determined to distract himself with work. He worked through lunch and was just getting ready to begin another potion when the door to the lab creaked open. Snape looked up to see Violet looking intently at him. His heartbeat rose to his throat.


“Um, Severus,” Violet began, “I have been waiting ten minutes. I have no new review sheet.”


Snape stood for a moment just looking at her. Quickly he replaced the bottle he was holding and turned to walk toward her. Violet held the door for him to pass through. He walked toward her work table.


“I have been distracted,” he told her curtly. “I regret that I did not make any new review sheets.”


“That is fine,” she replied easily, rounding to the other side of the table and beginning to collect her things. “I can wait until tomorrow.”


He felt sad suddenly. He did not want to miss out on this time he had in her presence. He glanced around the room for something he could use to keep her there. Suddenly an idea occurred to him.


“I was just beginning to brew some Veritaserum,” he told her as she put the final item in her bag. “Would you like to observe?”


Violet looked at him intently.


“Are you sure that would be alright?” she asked cautiously.


He nodded once and turned back to the professor’s private lab. She followed him back to his work area, putting her bag on the floor under the table. He conjured a stool for her and placed it at the head. She settled herself atop it.


Snape spoke in low tones explaining to Violet all of the steps he was taking in putting the potion together. He was pleased when she started asking questions about the different properties of some of the ingredients.


Once the potion was assembled, they talked easily of other things. Mainly, Snape asked about her work in Transfiguration because he knew it was her strong suit. Violet was very passionate about it, especially regarding some ethical questions they had just covered in class.


Snape enjoyed talking to her; she was very knowledgeable about a great many things. Violet sighed aloud when the bell clock rang the hour.


“Thank you, Severus,” she said, hopping off the stool. “I enjoyed this lesson more than all the rest.”


They looked at one another awkwardly for a moment and then both bent together to retrieve Violet’s bag off the floor.


“Let me,” Snape said, softly.


Violet stood, allowing Snape to retrieve the bag and place it gently over her shoulder.


“I should thank you,” Snape began awkwardly.


Violet regarded him with a puzzled expression.


“For keeping my confidences,” he finished.


Violet smiled shyly. “You’re welcome, Severus.”


He walked with her over to the door.


“You should know it is only because I like you,” she told him simply, looking over her shoulder and giving him a small wave.




Violet left Snape at the door of the Potions classroom. She headed to her afternoon classes, lost in thought. It seemed that Snape was beginning to recognize his ability to trust her. She considered that a small breakthrough. How much more clearly did he need for her to be? It should be obvious by now that she cared for him a great deal and would never do anything to harm him.


“How are things going with Snape?” Matthew McMillian asked, catching up with her in the corridor.


Violet felt her face flush a deep red.


Matthew laughed incredulously. “Don’t you see him for help with Potions?”


Violet nodded.


“Potions is going well,” she choked out.


Matthew regarded her suspiciously. “What else is going well?”


She eyed him carefully.


“Oh, don’t tell me,” he began.


“It’s nothing,” Violet protested, still blushing.


“Have you seen the man, Violet?” Matthew demanded. “You can surely do much better than that!”


Violet sighed. “He is brilliant,” she tried to explain.


“Oh please,” Matthew replied.


“I have known him for a long time, Matthew. He is a friend of my sister.”


“Exactly! He isn’t even your age!”


“What, are you jealous or something?” Violet asked, laughing.


Matthew looked away.


Violet stopped walking. “Matthew,” she began, “You are my best friend.”


He scowled, walking a few steps farther than her.


“My unfortunate existence,” he stated, turning back to her.


Violet did not immediately reply.


“Look,” Matthew said suddenly, “I just worry about you, that’s all.”


“I can take care of myself,” Violet told him.


“He seems like a mean and nasty character,” Matthew remarked. “Have you seen him when he helps out Slughorn with the students?”


“You just don’t know him like I do!” Violet defended.


Matthew regarded her sadly.


“I don’t want to fight with you about it,” he said, softly.


Violet took a deep breath.


“So maybe I do like him,” she confessed.


Matthew rolled his eyes.


“You are my best friend, Matthew and it’s not because you aren’t attractive or anything… It’s just that I have liked Severus for a long time.”


Matthew nodded his head.


“Is that why you have never even given me a backwards glance?” he asked.


Violet nodded and reached out to squeeze his hand.


“I hope he treats you right,” he told her.


Violet laughed.


“Yeah, well “ it’s not like he even knows I exist,” she told him.


Matthew laughed good-naturedly.


“I know what you mean,” he agreed.




The following day, Snape met with Lily Potter at a small table in the Three Broomsticks. He had finally set up a meeting with her to go over his progress with Violet’s schoolwork.


“Severus,” Lily said settling into the seat across from him smiling. “Thank you so much for working so closely with Violet on this. I have been concerned about her schoolwork. It has been a difficult time for her since our parents died and then I got married. She puts on a brave face, but I know it is hard for her.”


Snape motioned for the bartender who brought two glasses of wine.


“Dumbledore’s orders,” he replied awkwardly, not wanting to take any credit where none was due.


Lily nodded pleasantly. Snape noticed that she was looking peaked.


“Are you alright?” he asked, pushing the glass of wine closer to her.


She shook her head. “No wine for me, thank you. It has been a series of late nights.”


He raised his eyebrows and she laughed.


“Working,” she stated.


“What are you doing now?” he asked with interest.


“Oh, a little of this and a little of that,” she replied vaguely.


Snape remembered hearing about a standoff between Death Eaters and some other magic folk who it seemed had begun to come to the rescue of the general Muggle community. He appraised Lily for a few moments, wondering whether or not she was involved in something like that.


“There have been some crazy things happening to Muggles,” she said, finally.


Snape was surprised that Lily would be caught up in such things, but remained silent.


“You know, Severus, I think that Violet may have a crush on you,” Lily said suddenly, smiling brightly.


He coughed into his wine and she laughed.


“Just be careful with her, would you? She is my little sister and I would hate to see her heart broken. I imagine that she is no one that you would be interested in “ a Ravenclaw, besides. She is young, yet, and has big dreams. Keep an eye on her for me, would you? Knowing you are around has allayed some of my concern for her.”


Snape thought back to his past few encounters with Violet and the sunny laughter she brought into the Potions laboratory.


“I will keep her close,” Snape replied thoughtfully.


Lily looked at him quizzically but did not respond as he still seemed to be lost in thought.


“Her schoolwork is much improved. In fact, Dumbledore does not expect that I will continue to tutor her much longer,” he explained, finally.


“And keep an eye out for anything suspicious, would you?” Lily suggested. “There have been some crazy things happening lately.”


Snape nodded, feeling an inner anguish at this.


“I am sorry, but I need to leave,” Lily said.


They both stood up together.


“Thank you for being so good to Violet,” Lily told him, leaning to brush his cheek with her lips. “You are a good friend.”


Snape remained silent as she squeezed his hand with hers.


“Be careful, Lily,” he said as she was turning. “Be sure to watch your back.”


She smiled at him and walked quickly out of the tavern.
Tarnished by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
Well, it's canon almost to the end...as of Chapter 33 of DH this is now AU. Special thanks to my beta who fit this in between movie/book mania. Special thank you especially to JK Rowling whose magical world has filled my own with much happiness.
The next few months passed quickly for Severus Snape. He had been spending more and more of his time at Hogwarts. Professor Slughorn had insisted on his help reviewing the students’ writing assignments. It was often very late at night when he returned to Spinner’s End.


At the Headmaster’s suggestion, Professor Slughorn had seen the need to give Snape his own office and work area, completely separate from the Potions wing. Snape and Violet ate lunch together there almost every day and then she would observe his work in the laboratory. She had improved her Potions marks well enough that Dumbledore called off her private lessons, although Snape did not doubt that Dumbledore was completely aware of their new arrangement.


Bellatrix had ended Snape’s Occlumency training after he became able to shut her out of his mind without breaking a sweat. Snape did not have any other audiences with the Dark Lord, but he did report in to Lucius Malfoy regularly. Before each of these meetings, however, Snape would meet with Dumbledore, who would capture most of his memories having to do with Violet. Snape also brewed a few other potions at Dumbledore’s request and those thoughts, too, were safely protected.


Snape was pleased that most of his visits with the Malfoys tended toward social calls and were a follow-up on his apprenticeship - very infrequently would they be discussing strategy of some kind. Occasionally Malfoy would mention some well placed person at the Ministry, but this information would always be shut away in Snape’s mind, not to be shared with anyone. Dumbledore had never once tried to use Legilimency against him. During the times when Dumbledore sifted Snape’s memories for safe-keeping, he always kept strictly on target. Snape was beginning to trust him explicitly.


During these months, Snape also continued to meet occasionally with Lily Potter. Although his lessons with Violet had officially ended, it had been Lily who encouraged the meetings to continue. She had said that she liked the insight that Snape was able to give her into her sister. Lily also sensed that Violet was becoming more serious about Snape so she felt it her duty to stay open to communications. Lily had neglected to mention this last part to her husband whom she felt sure would explode with rage. She decided not to cross that bridge with him until they all got that far. As well, Lily remained alert to any mentions that Snape might make of his work for Dumbledore or his interactions with Lucius Malfoy. Information was slight, as Snape was very tight-lipped about every aspect of his life.


Snape and Violet sat eating lunch together about a week before the Christmas holiday. Snape was just getting ready to launch into an explanation of the best herb-drying methods when Violet cut him off.


“Severus, can we spend Christmas together?” she asked him eagerly.


He closed his open mouth without responding.


“Let’s go to Spinner’s End,” she suggested, smiling.


“That would not be proper, there is no chaperone there,” he told her soberly.


Snape looked away from her then, knowing too well where she was going with this. He remembered Dumbledore’s command not to leave Hogwarts and he frowned. He returned his gaze to her; how to make her understand?


“It is not possible for us to spend Christmas together,” he replied slowly.


She frowned. “Why not?”


“It just isn’t.”


“Okay, we don’t have to go to Spinner’s End then. You can just come over to James and Lily’s,” she told him.


“It is not possible,” he stated again as the frown deepened.


She scowled at him and threw her napkin on the table.


Snape did not like where this was heading.


“Do I embarrass you?” she asked, cautiously.


Snape rolled his eyes, causing Violet to snap to her feet.


“I am tired of living this way!” she complained.


That is easily remedied,” he told her shortly, with a definite glare.


Violet stomped to the door.


“I can leave and not come back,” she threatened, pouting.


Now Snape was standing as well.


“Then I suggest you do just that,” he replied scathingly.


Snape watched angrily as Violet dropped her shoulders in defeat and turned around slowly, letting herself out of his office.


He turned back to their half-eaten lunch and with a flick cleared her place away. He finished the remainder of his meal in stony silence, remembering how uncomplicated his life was before Violet came into it.


True to her word, Snape did not see Violet again before the break for the Christmas holiday. He skulked around in a nasty mood. He was angry at her for behaving like a child “ she knew what she was getting into. But more than that, he was angry at himself for allowing any of this to happen in the first place.


Violet was close to capturing his heart, he admitted to himself on Christmas Day as he sat silently drinking his tea, alone at the kitchen table at Spinner’s End. He brooded over this thought, more surprised than anything else. He had not anticipated that this would happen - Violet was a nice diversion for him. She allowed him to keep his mind on other things. She was intelligent and forthright in conversation. She kept strongly to her convictions when they were discussing things like proper Transfiguration procedures. He enjoyed her company, though she tended toward impulsiveness; he remembered the feel of her hand on his cheek.


He scowled as he studied the pattern of the wood grain on the table top. It was foolhardy to think they could have a future of any kind; moreover, it was down right dangerous. Snape slammed his hand down onto the table, causing the mug to jump and his palm to sting, reminding him once more of Violet at the banquet hall “ the first time he had seen her in such a long while. He shook his head slowly. How had it come to this? He needed to get this girl out of his head; more importantly, out of his life. Her safety depended on it. He had deluded himself long enough. He had allowed Dumbledore to provide him with an illusion of protection. He scowled darkly, thinking about his weaknesses “ he wanted to pretend that they could exist in this oasis of Hogwarts. He wanted to pretend to have a normal life.


He shook his head slowly. This was serious. He would not allow the Dark Lord or any of them to harm her because of his feelings for her. He could not bear the thought. As difficult as it was to think about, Snape knew that he could not go back to the way things were before they left on break. If he did that, there would be no letting go of her again.




Each day leading up to the Christmas holiday was a small torture for Violet. She kept her word and did not attempt to see or contact Snape in any way. She lived through each day with a hollow, empty feeling in the pit of her stomach.


Returning to James and Lily’s did nothing to improve Violet’s mood. She remained distant during the holiday celebrations and kept to her room until Lily demanded that she come out and join the festivities. Lily watched her brood, knowing only too well what could bring on this type of behavior.


Two days after Christmas, Lily let herself into Violet’s bedroom and sat gently on the edge of the bed as Violet slept.


“Vi,” Lily said softly.


Violet stirred, but did not open her eyes.


“Violet,” Lily said, reaching out a hand to rub her sister’s arm gently, “you have got to talk to me.”


Violet opened her eyes. Brown eyes stared mournfully into her sister’s green ones.


“I don’t want to discuss it,” Violet told her for the hundredth time.


“Look at you,” Lily said, alarmed. “You seem to be falling to pieces. I don’t care what you want. You need to talk to me about this!”


Violet sat up in bed and pulled the covers tightly around her. Her eyes brimmed with tears.


“What is it?” Lily implored.


“Severus… Severus is embarrassed by me,” Violet explained.


Lily took her hand. “Whatever do you mean?”


“He would not spend Christmas with me!”


Lily sighed.


“Why not?”


“Well, he said we couldn’t go to Spinner’s End because there was no chaperone there,” Violet began.


“I daresay not!” Lily exclaimed. Trust Severus to think about propriety.


“But then he refused to come here either.”


“You invited him here?” Lily asked, surprised. “But you never mentioned it.”


Violet looked at Lily intently. “I thought this was my home too.”


Lily sighed in exasperation.


“I would have told you first, if he had agreed to come.”


“Did you really expect Severus to come here?” Lily prodded.


Violet shrugged her shoulders.


“I don’t really think, Violet, that this is about you,” Lily suggested, squeezing her sister’s hand lightly. “This is about James and Severus.”


“If he cared about me, then it shouldn’t matter,” Violet said hotly.


“Think about whom you are talking about,” Lily suggested, smiling. “I think you are being a bit harsh on Severus. First of all, I commend him for not going to Spinner’s End. It means he cares, above all, about your reputation. Secondly, I don’t really think a major holiday is a good place to start with him and James.”


Lily regarded Violet for a few moments.


“How serious is this situation, Violet?”


Violet shrugged again.


“Well, seeing as he hasn’t so much as contacted me since before the holiday I would guess not that serious.”


“Why don’t you let things blow over?” Lily suggested.


Violet sighed dejectedly.


Lily let go of Violet’s hand and stood up slowly. “Come to breakfast.”


“Do I have to?”


“Yes,” Lily replied sternly. “You go back to Hogwarts in one week’s time. You aren’t going to languish around here and feel sorry for yourself any longer. It isn’t good for you. Why don’t you give Severus the lead in this? It seems that he has been looking out for your welfare so far.”


Violet got up out of bed and regarded Lily sadly.


“What if he has decided that he isn’t interested in this relationship anymore?” she asked fearfully.


“I would be surprised,” Lily answered cautiously, “but I would encourage you to abide by his wishes. Maybe he just needs some time to sort out how he feels.”


Violet remained silent, wishing she could tell Lily the truth about Snape.


“Maybe he needs for you to trust him to do the right thing,” Lily went on. “And maybe there is more to the situation than you realize.”


Violet snapped her head up and looked at Lily searchingly, as the last statement hung in the air between them. The two women gazed at each other for a long moment, but no one spoke.


Lily smiled a small smile.


“Come quickly before breakfast gets cold,” she told Violet, as she let herself out of the bedroom and shut the door gently behind her.




Snape changed his routine once he arrived back at Hogwarts. He began eating lunch in the staff room. He even began setting the wards to his office when he was inside so no one could just walk in on him. Snape guessed that Violet had tried to come to see him twice. This he could tell by the scent of vanilla that hung about his doorway. It stabbed at his empty insides. He missed her terribly. He steeled his resolve; there was nothing for it. He cared for her too greatly to continue to play under this illusion and place her life in danger.


Snape continued with his work, pleased when Professor Slughorn announced his confidence that Snape would be ready to be named in a few months time. Snape sent an owl to Lucius Malfoy to report on this new development. He was surprised at how quickly Malfoy responded when he heard an owl tapping on the window of the staffroom during lunch.


Professor Sprout, closest to the window, unlatched it quickly allowing the owl entrance. It glided to where Snape sat and landed expertly on the table releasing the letter into his lap. Snape cut off a small piece of his roast pork and gave it to the bird that hooted thanks and departed. Snape did not even have to look at the letter to know it came from Violet. The scent alone made his heart stop. He glanced furtively around the room, certain no one was paying attention, and then he opened it slowly.



Dearest Severus,
It seems like ages since we have talked personally. I have tried
to see you twice now, but it appears that my visits are in vain. My
days go by very slowly now, the one bright spot of which is watching
each morning for your arrival. Just knowing we are in the same place
cheers my heart.
I must apologize for my childish behavior from before the
holiday. I was petulant, choosing to completely ignore the risks we
are facing “ the risks that you are facing in continuing to be my
friend. I was selfish and I am sorry.
Over the past few weeks you have made your intentions
very clear, so although I miss you so much it makes my heart ache,
I promise not to bother you any more. I do not --actually, I can not--
believe that my feelings for you were misplaced or one-sided so I
can only guess your recent behavior is not without reason.
I will be thankful always for the friendship and caring you
have shown me. I wait with longing for the day we might meet
again. No one will replace you in my heart.
Always yours,
Violet


Snape refolded the letter carefully and stowed it away inside his robe. He ate mechanically, the words of her letter running through his head. His thoughts kept returning to the same thing “ Violet watched for his arrival daily.


Later that afternoon, Snape received another owl, but this one came from Lucius Malfoy. His presence was required at a Death Eater meeting that evening. Wrapping up his daily study, Snape hurried from his office. He bounded up the stairs from the dungeons two at a time still thinking about his letter from Violet. He was hurtling himself toward the large oak doors when he suddenly collided with someone. The present moment came back into sharp focus. Books and papers went flying. Snape swore under his breath. He stumbled but did not fall. He regained his balance and turned quickly, intending to lash out at the fallen victim, but the words died on his lips.


Violet was struggling to regain her composure. Whoever had collided with her was moving so quickly that she had not even seen it coming. Her breath was knocked clear out of her. She looked up as she struggled to sit and her eyes met Snape’s. Neither of them moved for a moment.


Suddenly, Snape dropped to his knees, enveloping Violet in his arms. It was as if the past few weeks melted away as he held her close to him.


“Did I hurt you?” he breathed, glancing quickly around to see how much of an audience they had. The Main Hall was empty. Everyone must be in their common rooms getting ready for dinner.


Violet shook her head and took a couple of deep breaths. She started to cry.


Snape stiffened and pulled back, looking at her with confusion.


“What’s wrong then?” he demanded.


“I’m sorry,” Violet hiccupped, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.


Snape stood up and held out his hand to help her. She took it and stood up gingerly.


“Are you sure you’re alright?” he asked again, pulling his wand from his cloak and casting a charm to retrieve all her books and papers into his hands. He stacked the pile on the floor as Violet brushed herself off.


“I have missed you so much,” Violet said in a soft whisper, standing upright slowly.


Snape stood to his full height.


“I received your letter,” he responded, a cool detachment taking over his demeanor.


“Severus, please.”


She did not wait for his reply, but stepped toward him, drawing him into a tender hug. She buried her head into his chest. He stood stiffly for a minute then without meaning to, his arms closed around her. He relaxed in her embrace, breathing in deeply the scent of vanilla.


“Violet, I can’t,” he told her bitterly, shaking his head viciously.


“I know,” she said into his chest.


Neither of them moved.


Violet loosened her hold on Snape and stepped back, breaking his grip on her.


“I know,” she said again. “Go. Be careful.”


Snape held her gaze for one moment longer and then, scowling darkly, he turned and strode away from her, cursing under his breath.
Trapped by HandPFeather
Author's Notes:
It's been a long time; I hope to get the whole thing up one of these days!
Chapter Eight: Trapped

The Death Eater meeting at Malfoy Manor turned out to be an induction ceremony. Six more wizards had made the choice to join the Dark Lord. One of the inductees, Igor Karkaroff, was someone that Snape knew from his childhood.


At the close of the ceremony, Snape approached Karkaroff to offer his congratulations.


“Ah, the new Potions Master,” Karkaroff said jovially.


Snape shook his head. “Not yet.”


“Your name has been getting around,” Karkaroff told him. “Must be all that research. How is life with the enemy?”


Snape sneered. “I keep to myself.”


“What?!” Karkaroff exclaimed. “With all those lovely young girls?”


The image of Violet clinging tightly to him rose in his mind before he could stop it. Snape scowled and stalked away from Karkaroff. He scooped a drink off a tray carried by a house elf and downed it in one gulp. He had not been able to see Dumbledore before coming. Agitation blossomed in his chest as he looked around the room. Violet’s safety depended on a large part on him and he needed to keep his cool.


The door to the ballroom opened slowly. Lucius returned with a smiling Narcissa on his arm.


“Everyone, please,” Lucius said loudly, commanding attention from everyone in the room. He reached for a drink, motioning for the others to do so as well.


Snape exchanged his empty glass for a full one and held it in front of him, waiting for Lucius to continue.


“An announcement,” Lucius said, looking to Narcissa smiling.


“I am going to have a baby,” she told the waiting crowd, beaming.


A smattering of applause broke out around the room amid calls of “Bravo!” and “Well done!”


Snape drained his glass after joining in the customary toast. He retired to the balcony then, looking out over the silent landscape. His hands clenched the top of the stone wall as envy coursed through his veins. He listened to the sounds of the party continuing in the room behind him. How did this all happen, he wondered. He shook himself.


Here he stood pining away like a foolish school boy. He had always planned things out so methodically that this situation with Violet was completely foreign to him. He had no real concept of love existing in his life before the sudden advent of Violet and her professed feelings for him. He was overwhelmed and was trying to maintain his balance. Everything about this situation however was completely wrong.


Snape slammed his hand down on the stone. The situation was wrong because Snape, out of his hatred for the Marauders, had allied himself with everything they had despised. In his search for knowledge, he accepted the only thing that would set him apart from them forever.


His thoughts were such a jumble inside his head that he had not even realized he was no longer alone until Bellatrix spoke.


“Having second thoughts?”


Snape jumped at the sound of her silky voice as the doors snapped shut in his mind, but not before he knew Bellatrix had a sense of Violet’s presence in his life.


“Shouldn’t you be in at the party?” Snape asked dismissively.


“I could ask you the same thing,” Bellatrix purred. “Having girlfriend troubles?”


Snape looked at her coldly. “As if my personal life is your concern.”


Bellatrix stepped closer to him, wrinkling her nose before replying, “Anything you do is my concern, Half-Blood.”


They pulled their wands at the same time, Bellatrix easily deflecting the hex Snape sent her way. They volleyed curses and hexes at one another for a few moments until Malfoy’s shout of “Enough!” caused them both to stop.


“This is my party,” Malfoy announced, striding over to stand between them. He looked from Bellatrix to Snape and back again. Both of them stood, breathing rapidly.


“As much as I appreciate that you chose to take your little argument outdoors, I will not tolerate this between you any longer,” Malfoy told them.


“He’s a half-blood spy!” Bellatrix spat.


Snape advanced on her, seemingly oblivious to Malfoy’s presence between them.


“Severus,” Malfoy said, sharply. “Stand down.”


Snape stopped his advance but did not lower his wand.


“I said stand down,” Malfoy ordered.


Snape lowered his wand slowly so Malfoy turned his attention back to Bellatrix.


“Go back to the party, Bella,” he told her. “We have had this discussion.”


She scowled at Malfoy and slowly turned to leave. She looked back and her eyes met Snape’s. He read very clearly from her look that she was not finished with this yet.


Malfoy looked Snape over appraisingly.


“Do we have anything to discuss?” Malfoy asked as Snape spun back around to look at the empty landscape and put his wand into his robe.


Snape remained silent a moment, closing his eyes and trying to get control of his emotions.


“A woman,” Snape replied thorough gritted teeth. “Bellatrix has entirely the wrong idea.”


Malfoy laughed aloud. “I didn’t imagine you to be involved in melodrama of that sort.”


Snape remained silent, clenching and unclenching his fists on the cold, stone wall.


“And what fair beauty has caught your tongue, Severus?” Malfoy asked in a mock whisper.


Snape closed his eyes and opened them slowly. He saw only one way out from here.


“Violet Evans,” he replied. “But it is not what you think!”


Malfoy laughed again, coming to stand directly next to Snape. Malfoy leaned over the wall peering directly into Snape’s face.


“Surely you jest,” Malfoy drawled.


Snape spun around quickly and replied hastily, “What better way to get close to Lily? I have been helping Violet with her Potions.”


Slowly Malfoy nodded his head. “I see… using Violet as bait… interesting idea.”


He remained silent for a few moments.


“It just might work.”


Malfoy turned around. Now both men were leaning back against the wall, watching the party through the windows into the ballroom. Snape frowned deeply when Bellatrix walked into view.


Malfoy clapped him on the shoulder.


“Let’s get back,” he said heartily. “Don’t worry about Bella. I will handle her. You have my complete confidence, Severus.”


Still frowning, Snape followed Malfoy back into the party. After finding Narcissa to offer his personal congratulations, Snape begged off.


Rather than returning to Spinner’s End, Snape apparated back to the edge of the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts.


He hastily strode across the lawn and made his way into the castle. The sounds of his footfalls echoed loudly down the empty corridor. Standing in front of the stone gargoyle, Snape was getting more and more agitated. None of the passwords he had tried would admit him to the Headmaster’s quarters.


Snape looked up at the sound of soft footsteps approaching from the hallway.


“Severus?” Professor McGonagall asked. “It is late.”


“I must see the Headmaster,” he replied desperately.


“Yes, I realize. Fawkes is dispatched after the third wrong password,” she explained.


“I must see the Headmaster,” he repeated.


“He is in a meeting,” Professor McGonagall replied.


“At this hour?” Snape barked.


“It is obviously important,” she responded coolly.


Snape eyed her furiously. “What I have to say can’t wait!”


“There is no choice for it,” she replied, folding her arms over her chest.


“Who is he with?” Snape demanded, beginning to pace back and forth before the stone gargoyle, willing it to let him in.


“That is not your concern,” McGonagall snapped harshly.


Snape stopped in mid-stride and turned to face her full-on. He opened his mouth to speak, desperation and concern for Violet’s safety almost getting the best of him, but then he snapped his mouth shut. He wheeled around and marched back down the corridor, leaving a stunned Professor McGonagall behind him.




“It seems that Violet is making some headway with Severus,” Dumbledore said happily, leaning back in his chair.


James and Sirius gasped. Remus threw them a half-smile.


“Did you just say Violet?” James asked through clenched teeth.


Dumbledore nodded.


“Surely, James, it is not lost on you, how much she cares for him,” Dumbledore replied meeting James’ eyes.


James did not respond.


“She is still young yet,” Sirius announced, as though this cleared things up.


Dumbledore turned wise eyes to Sirius.


“She is an excellent judge of character, however,” Dumbledore remarked. “I assure you both, her trust is not misplaced.”


James and Sirius scoffed. Remus remained silent.


“You will hold your tongue about this, do you understand?” Dumbledore demanded. “The Order needs Severus and Violet will bring him to see the truth.”


“And what truth is that?” James asked.


“Everyone is worthy of love, James,” Dumbledore told him quietly.


James scowled.


“Tell me, sir, that you are not actively encouraging this arrangement,” James implored.


Dumbledore did not respond immediately and Sirius whistled softly between his teeth.


“If we turn Severus,” Remus began nodding, “we will have an inside track…”


“Use Violet, you mean?!” James demanded, wheeling on his friend.


Dumbledore stood up abruptly. “You will keep silent about this, James, do you understand? There is more going on here than you realize.”


James watched with wide eyes as the Headmaster strode across the room. He exchanged looks with Sirius and Remus.


“Does Lily know about this?” James asked quietly.


Dumbledore turned to face the three young men. His features softened noticeably.


“I imagine she suspects all this and more,” Dumbledore replied softly. “You could never pull much over on Lily.”


The three nodded appreciatively.


“Does Violet know what you expect of her?” James asked.


Dumbledore smiled. “Violet has spoken to Professor McGonagall, James. Minerva has encouraged her to trust her own judgment. There is nothing that we ‘expect’ from her other than leading Severus to believe in the power of love. Life is short, gentlemen, in any event. Now especially, with Lord Voldemort gaining power daily, life is too unpredictable to not squeeze out every ounce of happiness there is. Do you believe you have the right to determine what is appropriate for another person’s happiness?”


James, Sirius and Remus were visibly cowed by these words.


“You do realize,” Dumbledore reminded them evenly, “the reason we lost Severus in the first place?”


None of the three spoke.
“You have my word, Headmaster,” James said in a low tone.


Sirius and Remus nodded in agreement.




Snape stood in the shadows at the entrance to Hogwarts for almost another hour before Dumbledore appeared, walking his visitors to the apparation point.


Snape spat on the hard ground, hatred causing his breath to come in short gasps. His ability to meet with Dumbledore had been hindered because Dumbledore had been visiting with old friends. Violet’s life hung in the balance and he could not meet with Dumbledore because of James Potter and his cronies. Snape hissed angrily and strode around to the opposite side of the castle. He looked up into the inky blackness at the small points of light to where he knew was Ravenclaw tower.


“You will be safe,” he pledged solemnly. “I will find a way to keep you safe.”


By the time Snape returned to the entrance door, Potter and his entourage had left and Dumbledore was nowhere to be found. He cursed again in a low voice and strode across the lawn. With a soft pop, he disappeared as well.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=65598