Lovers in the Moonlight by beauty and brains
Summary: Irene Mahavior had always taken a fancy to the quiet Remus Lupin. She liked the soft spoken boy, as she had grown up with her rather raucous Irish family. Irene couldn’t though, for the life of her, figure out where Remus disappeared to once a month. Not thinking anything of it, Irene decided to take a moonlit stroll out on the grounds one night. This one mere urge would seal her fate forever.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Self Injury, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 17904 Read: 8224 Published: 04/04/07 Updated: 01/13/08

1. Shadows in the Moonlight by beauty and brains

2. Fear in the Moonlight by beauty and brains

3. Unmasked in the Moonlight by beauty and brains

Shadows in the Moonlight by beauty and brains
Author's Notes:
The only reason this fan-fic is in existance is because of my wonderful beta, Ron x Hermione. *Many bear hugs for her!*

The fire crackled merrily in the grate, warming all of Gryffindor tower. It’s probably reflecting my good mood, Irene Mahavior thought as she watched the fire tongues lick the thick logs. She pushed her legs out of their cramped position on the couch and curled her stocking-clad toes against the warmth. Irene lifted her fourth pumpkin pasty to her mouth and prepared to take a bite out of the delicious cake when she heard another’s voice.



“Oi! Mahavior! Mind sharing some with the rest of us?” questioned a tall, handsome youth with chin-length ebony hair; so black it bordered on blue. He was sitting in the armchair closest to the fire, which was also the one with stuffing leaking out of it. He had a scribbled over essay in his lap, but he wasn’t working on it. He was staring longingly at Irene’s food.



“Not on your life, Black,” Irene replied, cramming the entire pasty into her mouth before the boy could have a chance to use a Summoning Charm on it. Quickly, she pulled her square-rimmed reading glasses off her face, noting the fact that Sirius Black was very prone to pouncing people like a five year old when he didn’t get his way in life. She glanced over and saw Sirius’s face contort in pain. She let out a hearty chuckle, which ended up in her spewing crumbs all over her couch partner.



“Irene! Merlin, chew with your mouth closed,” Remus Lupin reprimanded before turning back to his Transfiguration paper as Sirius went back to mutilating his own. Irene rolled her dark brown eyes before stretching her legs out and placing them on top of Remus’s paper. He tried to shove them off, but to no avail. “Come on, Irene, I need to have this completed before Monday,” Remus sighed exasperatedly.



“Oh, live a little Remus. It’s only Friday night! You still have two nights to finish your bloody essay,” Irene retorted, refusing to move her legs off of his paper. Slapping her glasses back onto her nose, she hunkered down into the cushions, gazing at him steadily. Remus grunted in defeat before dropping his essay and quill into his book bag at his feet. He leaned back and sank into the cushions before turning to glare playfully at Irene.



“There’s just no getting past your Irish temper, is there?” His golden eyes twinkled, but Irene noticed the large bags that lay beneath. He looked utterly exhausted, and she was probably doing him a favour by forcing him to put the quill down.



Wait, Irene thought. Golden? She did a quick double take and looked back into his eyes, but they were their usual shade of grey. Must have been a trick of the light, she reasoned.



“None at all. I get it from Da, old fiery bloke. Me mam must have something to do with it too, but she’s a bit of a Scot,” Irene answered, twirling her short red curls around a finger.



“Mmm,” was the only sound she got in return as Remus closed his eyes and let his hands settle on her legs. Chills erupted up and down her short legs, and she was very grateful she had worn the thicker socks. She let her eyes drift to Remus’s face, and she studied his tired figure.



His hair was shaggy and in need of a trim. The light brown bangs were millimetres from touching his eyebrows. Her hands itched to run them through his mop. She noticed that his lashes were the exact same colour as his hair, and they looked so pretty sitting on his high cheekbones. Her eyes sank lower, and settled on his lips. They were thin, but nice. His mouth also had a nice shape. Nice for kissing, Irene thought. She caught herself and stared in amazement at the boy sitting in front of her, now fully asleep.



This is Remus Lupin, the boy you’ve known since you were eleven years old, Irene lectured herself. You can’t like him, it would be too awkward. Her mind told her this, but she knew that soon enough her heart would take over, and most likely make a fool of her. She let out an echoing gust of air and Sirius looked up.



“Does old Professor Moony have you trapped?” The corners of his eyes crinkled in a smile, and Irene grinned lazily back before pulling herself into a sitting position. Or, at least, she tried to sit up. The minute she moved her legs, Remus’s strong grip closed around them, rendering her any movement.



“Err, Black?” Sirius chuckled and stood up, walking around Peter’s sleeping form on the hearth. He gripped Irene’s arm and pulled her off of the sofa. She smoothed her ruffled skirt before turning around and staring at Remus.



Sirius saw her gaze settle on Remus for a moment too long and tried to hide a smile of delight. “Don’t worry, it’s even harder to get his teddy away from him when he’s asleep,” Sirius assured her, and Irene giggled at the thought of Remus snuggled up with a large teddy bear.



“James still in the Hospital Wing then?” Irene asked, noticing for the first time his absence in the Common Room. The poor bloke had been beat to a bloody pulp by the entire Slytherin Quidditch Team. Sirius had sworn a painful death to each of the hulking boys.



“Yup, but he should be out by Monday. And don’t tell anyone this-” he whispered leaning closer to Irene, “-but I saw Evans visiting him twice, two days in a row.” Irene started. Lily Evans, the hotheaded wench that James Potter was obsessed with had actually visited him? I’m impressed, Irene thought.



“Probably made Potter’s day.” Irene grinned.



“More like his whole life,” Sirius countered. “The only thing better to James would be the day they get married and have tons of bespeckled babies that we’ll have to baby-sit.” He shuddered at the very thought.



Irene laughed out loud. “Please, as if that will ever happen. You should hear Evans rage in the dormitories. Every time James even opens his mouth she goes on the warpath.” Irene let her voice take on an angry tone. “James Potter is a sick prat who can’t get it through his fat head that I hate his guts, blah, blah, blah. It’s a daily ritual,” Irene finished, allowing her voice to go back to its usual sound.



Sirius started to laugh, but Remus gave a snort and he tapered off. “Poor mate; his mum’s getting sicker and sicker. He’s going home to visit her tomorrow.”



Irene looked over at Remus and hurt for him. The boy was always so exhausted; never taking a break from his homework, Prefect duties, and on top of that, his mum seemed to always be coming down will some form of illness. She would have to find a way to cheer him up when he got back to Hogwarts after his visit.



Irene yawned loudly, bid Sirius a goodnight, and trotted up the winding staircase to her dormitory. The other girls were already asleep, snuggled under their quilts and sheets. While discarding her robes for pajamas, she heard a loud snort and glanced over to see her best friend, Kahlynn Roster with her tongue hanging out, every now and then letting off a loud grunt. Irene shook her head. Kahlynn always denied any accusations that she was a snorer.



She took her glasses off and sat them beside her wand on the nightstand. Climbing into her warm sheets, Irene felt herself slowly begin to drift off to the peaceful realms of unconsciousness. The last thought that floated through her head was of Remus, their foreheads pressed together, looking deeply into each other’s eyes.



[*][*][*]




“And…HEAVE!” a voice groaned, and Irene’s eyes flashed open in surprise as she felt a falling sensation. When she realised what was happening, she let out a shriek before flopping onto the floor in a pile of pillows and sheets. A loud “Oof!” echoed around the circular room before many giggles began bubbling up from Irene’s roommates.



She climbed unsteadily to her feet, still wrapped in her covers. She sent death glares to each girl in the room, settling her fierce look on Kahlynn, who was grinning innocently on top of her bed. She was obviously the one who came up with the bright idea to throw Irene unceremoniously from her tranquil slumber. Well, Irene thought, now the girl will find out what an Irish temper really looks like.



She placed a grin on her freckled face, as if actually joining in on their little prank. Kahlynn climbed off the bed and did a small bow to the applause of her roommates. Irene pulled a fake laugh, but when Kahlynn walked toward her for a handshake, Irene whipped up her wand from beside the water basin and took aim. Her best friend’s light green eyes went wide with surprised fear before she let out a scream and charged for the door. She was obviously hoping that since Irene was still in her pajamas, which consisted of only cotton pants and a tank, she would discontinue her chase. She was very much mistaken.



Irene let out a whooping yell as she slammed the door open behind Kahlynn and ran at full speed down the spiralling staircase. Everyone in the Gryffindor Common Room was staring open mouthed in shock at the two sixteen year old girls, who were currently acting worse than the greenest bunch of first years.



Kahlynn leaped over an empty couch with Irene right on her heels. Just as Kahlynn landed her jump, Irene tumbled down on top of her. There were many outraged shrieks as the two girls began rolling around on the floor, pulling hair and scratching arms, laughing all the while.



“Oi! Mahavior! Leave my bird alone! You mad cow!” Sirius Black thrusted an arm into the tangle of arms and legs and pulled Kahlynn out of Irene’s dangerous clutches. Irene stopped thrashing and climbed calmly to her feet, not caring that all the girls were staring at her as though she was a wild banshee, and the boys were goggling at her attire.



Irene pointed at her best friend and said, “You’re lucky that your boy toy was here to save you, or else there would have been hell to pay!” A few people chuckled, and Sirius rolled his eyes as he ensnared Kahlynn’s waist with his arms. A wolf whistle here, an ugly glare there. All part of the Sirius-Kahlynn-Every girl in Hogwarts Triangle, Irene thought. She started to climb the stairs back up to the Girl’s Dormitories before remembering to ask Sirius if Remus had already left. Her response was an “Uh-huh” and many slurpy sounds. They’re bonkers, she giggled to herself as she opened the door to her dormitory.



Sifting through her trunk, she pulled out a rumpled pair of sweats and a pink hoodie. She threw her hair into the sloppiest bun she had ever done and perched her glasses on her nose. No need to look nice when there’s no one here I want to impress, she reasoned.



Irene’s day dragged slowly by. In the morning, she was either walking the halls with Sirius, Peter, and Kahlynn, cursing every Slytherin that their eyes landed on, or visiting James and endearing his moans and groans of how incredibly starved he was, and how he couldn’t wait to taste some of “Lily’s cooking.”



As the afternoon passed, Irene found herself holed up in the Common Room, leafing through a romance novel. Ma has no clue of how addicting these are, Irene thought as she started in on a new chapter. Her mum had sent her the book, saying in her letter that the young woman in the story had no clue of what type of man she needed, and that a hard Irish man would fix all of her problems. Typical Ma, Irene chanted. She’s always said a farmer who could hold his liquor was the right kind of man.



After over an hour of reading, truly a first for Irene, she yawned and put the book down on the small table in front of her, too lazy to walk upstairs and put it in her dormitory. It was getting darker in the Common Room, and the fire had already been lit. And by the sounds coming from Irene’s stomach, dinner was starting. Irene climbed off of the couch and walked down to the Great Hall, which was already packed full of dining students.



As Irene made her way toward Kahlynn, Sirius, and Peter, she noticed that their section of the table definitely looked lonely with the missing presence of Remus and James. She sighed and plopped down next to her friends. Looking straight ahead, she imagined Remus sitting in his place, smiling warmly at her. She felt her cheeks get a tad hot, so she tuned into the conversation Sirius and Peter were holding. As soon as she heard the word Quidditch, though, she went back to daydreaming. Remus was the only one out of the four boys who could carry on a conversation without mentioning a broomstick for over ten minutes.



Dinner was much quieter than it routinely was. Usually, there was much laughter, air-born food, and snorted pumpkin juice. Tonight though, there was just light small talk and the clink of goblets and forks.



[*][*][*]




Irene leaned against her headboard and came to the conclusion that today had been a total waste. She had dressed like a grumpy old bat, and had barely spoken two words all day. She huffed out a breath and rolled over onto her pillow. She closed her big brown eyes and stayed like that for over twenty minutes before sitting up abruptly. Sleep would not come to her. She let her mind drift, and it quickly settled once again on a certain boy. Suddenly, though, she felt very claustrophobic in her dormitory. Thoughts of Remus made her cheeks and the back of her neck glow red and burn to the touch.



The girl slowly climbed out of bed, being as careful as possible not to wake her roommates. She pulled her nightdress over her head and replaced it with a pair of old Muggle jeans. She had always been accustomed to wearing Muggle clothes, as her Da was a Muggle, being simply an Irish farmer. Slipping on a plain red t-shirt, she jerked her trainers on before grabbing her wand and exiting her dormitory. Her glasses remained on the nightstand.



The Common Room was dark, with only a very faint light from the dying embers in the grate. She gripped her wand tighter and glanced around the empty room. Shadows drifted around the circular room as the drapes swayed and the fire fizzled out. She had the most curious feeling that someone was watching her, and yet she discarded the idea, knowing no one other than herself would be up at such an ungodly hour. Taking a breath, she ducked out the Portrait Hole, ignoring the Fat Lady’s nosy questions. She needed to clear her head.



The halls were silent as a tomb. Every once in a while, Irene could have sworn she heard the scuff of a trainer behind her, but each time when she looked over her shoulder, all that met her eyes was air.



When Irene eased open the front doors, a blast of cool wind blew her hair back away from her face. A full moon glowed down over her, bathing the grounds in a heavenly light. She could see across the entire lake by the light of the moon, and she slowly began to make her way down to the shore.



The water was lapping gently and a soft breeze tugged Irene along. She could feel herself cooling down and relaxing in the warm spring air. When Irene reached the water, she flopped down onto the long damp grass and let her thoughts run.



Remus. Remus Lupin, Gryffindor Prefect, one of the top students in their class, favourite of all the Professors. He was handsome and quiet, one of the few boys of his age that didn’t act immature or goggle at every girl that passed. Remus was a boy who spoke softly and always thought before he opened his mouth. He had large hands that were usually occupied by a book or quill. He moved with grace, never hurrying or in a rush. The boy was tired all the time, but this didn’t seem to affect him in any way or form. Many girls referred to him as refined and handsome when he walked past, and were appalled when Irene corrected them to say that Remus was an oblivious git. She always got a good chuckle out of that.



“He would never notice that I’m attracted to him, either,” Irene mused out loud. The musical chirping of crickets was the only reply she received. She sighed and put her head down on her knees.



Suddenly, Irene snapped her head up. There was a noise behind her. It sounded like small animal, but she wasn’t sure. Slowly, Irene turned her head over her shoulder and watched as a large brown rat gave a squeak of fright and whipped its bald tail around. Her body shuddered involuntarily at the long tail as it disappeared. She could hear him slithering as quickly as he could in the opposite direction.



Irene released a breath she didn’t know she had been holding. She could feel her muscles loosening from their tightened grips. She was so intent on getting her breathing and heart rate down that she didn’t even notice the panting coming from fifty feet behind her.



The redhead was just beginning to breathe easier again when a shiver ran up and down her spine, and she again received the feeling that someone was watching her. Her chest started to pound, and her entire body was pulled tight like a rubber band. Her nails bit into her palm, and she made sure her wand was securely in her right hand before slowly turning around.



The first thing her eyes found in the darkness was a dog. A great, huge dog, with a thick matted coat. His eyes were piercing and gleaming in the night air. The long, red tongue was dripping with saliva, and his teeth were pointed and bared. The dog’s hackles were raised, and he was growling ferociously.



Irene had only one thought on her mind, and that was The Grim. This dog looked so much like the wizard superstition. She had read that, once seen by human eyes, the dog would bring despair and eventually death to his onlooker. She now understood the meaning of being scared to death. She could feel her heart raging a mile a minute in her chest, and her lungs felt obstructed. She couldn’t intake air. She would surely suffocate under the dog’s killing stare.



Then, just as Irene slowly began creeping her way into a standing position, she heard something coming from her right. She saw, from the corner of her eye, a large shadow moving. The dog, she noticed, had its attention directed at whatever the other noise was. She followed his example. And what met her eyes would be a horror she would never forget for as long as she lived.



Standing nearly seven feet away, a monstrosity of a wolf rocked onto his hind legs. He had a brown coat that was streaked throughout with dark grey. His head was flung back to the full moon, and his throat was extended to it. Irene’s heart froze as he let out a wailing note, which sang across the grounds. He continued his sorrowful tune for what felt like ages before coming back down onto all four paws, his glowing eyes fixated on Irene. If it wasn’t for the eyes, Irene was certain he would be no more than a shadow in the moonlight.



She couldn’t move a muscle. Try as she might, her legs were stuck into the ground, and no matter how much her brain screamed at her to move, her body would not compensate. She began to shake uncontrollably as she stared into the yellow depths of the wolf’s eyes. They pulled her in; made her feel trapped in their evil shine. They were hungry.



Just then, a realization hit Irene. This wasn’t an ordinary wolf. Wolves did not grow to become this large, nor did they ever get so close to humans. There was only one other option, and that was what spurred Irene to turn her back and begin running as she had never in her life ever run before. That creature was a werewolf.



Behind her, Irene could hear heavy paws thundering over the damp ground. She could see a black ball of fur streak past her, and she remembered the dog that looked so much like The Grim. She didn’t think that it was a coincidence that the werewolf appeared the moment after she had laid eyes on the black demon-dog.



A yelp echoed around Irene as she sprinted past the Whomping Willow. Looking back over her shoulder, she could see two canine forms entangled in each other, snarling fiercely and snapping jaws. She found it odd that the Grim-dog was fighting with the werewolf, but she thought nothing of it as she charged on. She was having a hard time drawing breath and her legs felt like molten lead. She knew she wasn’t getting far away fast enough.



The ground seemed to shake as one of the mammals slammed into the ground with much force. Irene stopped for the smallest of seconds to see who had won the match between the two horrors. Her eyes met yellow.



The redhead whipped around and began hurtling to the castle. She had to reach the front doors in time, and she hoped to God that one of the teachers hadn’t locked them. She could hear heavy panting and footfalls thundering behind her. She was gasping on the air around her as her muscles screamed in protest. She was just passing the greenhouses, a blur of red hair and wild eyes. Yet, she wasn’t running fast enough, for the werewolf was steadily gaining on her. She could feel him getting closer and closer, and sense his putrid, snarling breath. She felt his eyes piercing through her very soul, as if they could suck the life right out of her.



Irene began screaming at the top of her lungs as she neared the courtyard, praying that someone would hear her and alert a teacher. She knew that the werewolf was bound to catch her before she reached the castle, for she could sense how far his lunges were, and they were overtaking her small steps by leaps and bounds. Irene’s feet pounded over the cobbled courtyard, tears streaming down her face as she exerted her lungs to their fullest strength. Just as she passed the bubbling fountain, the werewolf caught up with her.



The werewolf pushed off with his giant haunches and flew through the air, landing against Irene’s back. She yelled and fell beneath his huge paws, each of which had five toes instead of four. Her fragile body crushed against the stones under her. His breath was ragged against her neck, saliva dripping across her skin. She hurtled her small frame sideways, and the werewolf fell to the ground beside her. Irene aimed her wand at him for the first time and yelled, “Stupefy!



She longed to see the red beam of light hitting the werewolf square in the chest, to see his body fly ten feet away from her and sprawl out, unconscious. All that met her eyes, though, was a nimble werewolf dodging the light that swiftly came at him. He bared his yellow teeth at her, which were marked with red stains from the Grim-dog that was left behind them.



Irene hurtled to her feet and backed away as the brown werewolf stealthily approached her, kneeling his head down in a hunting position. She thrusted out her wand again, prepared to try to stun him, when he leaped from his crouched pose. Before Irene even had a chance for the incantation to pass her lips, the werewolf’s jaw had clamped down upon her right arm.



Irene screamed louder than she had ever screamed before, for this was a type of pain she had never felt. Large jaws sawed at her arm, burying two-inch long teeth deep into her skin. He crunched down on the bone, and she could feel it splinter and break beneath his vice-like grip.



Irene could feel herself slowly losing consciousness. Blood was flowing everywhere from the werewolf’s mouth. He smelled of rot. There was crimson liquid everywhere. On his snout, on her body, and across the stones. She gazed into his eyes in a transfixed horror as he mauled her arm. She could feel every bone groaning and snapping against his teeth. The pain was unbelievable. Yet, there was nothing she could do besides scream. Her wand had fallen when the werewolf had enclosed his monstrous jaw onto her arm. She knew it was mutilated.



Suddenly, a black dog reared onto the werewolf’s back, dragging him to the floor. This resulted in Irene being flung onto the ground as well, for the werewolf wasn’t letting go of his prey. She felt as if she was going to die, right there, lying against the stones.



The Grim-dog then took a hold of the werewolf’s neck and yanked back with all the strength he possessed. The werewolf dropped Irene’s arm and turned to face his new opponent. Irene couldn’t even bring herself to look at her arm, for she knew it was probably damaged beyond repair. As blackness began to settle along the corners of her vision, she prayed someone would soon find her before the werewolf came back.



The last thing that drifted across her maddened mind before the blackness fully claimed her for its own was ‘Remus.’

Fear in the Moonlight by beauty and brains
Author's Notes:
[A/N] Once again, thank Ron x Hermione, the best beta I could ask for. =]


Remus knocked softly on Headmaster Dumbledore’s great oak door. His face was ashen white, and he could feel the sweat practically pouring out of him. His hands shook more than his old grandfather’s, and he had died at the age of one-hundred and two. Remus could feel his breath coming in ragged gasps. He tried to steady himself, but that only resulted in making him more nervous than he already was.

He wasn’t even quite sure of why he was being pulled from class to meet with the Headmaster. All he knew was that Professor Dumbledore had sent an urgent message to his Transfiguration class, demanding his presence at once. His heart had sped up when he thought of the many horrible reasons he would be called to Dumbledore’s office. Had he woken one of the students with all his howls? Had Dumbledore discovered that his three best friends were Animagi?

The door pushed open abruptly, and Professor Dumbledore stood tall in robes of deep navy with silver lining. He gazed down his abnormally crooked nose and smiled grimly at Remus. He held the door back and allowed Remus to pass him, not saying a word. His usually sparkling blue eyes did not twinkle, but were clouded over and dull.

When Remus seated himself in one of the two chairs in front of the large oak desk, Dumbledore sat down in front of him, letting out a sigh of deep regret and laying his chin on his long fingers.

“Remus, I have very unpleasant news to place upon you,” he began, his bright blue eyes filled with sadness. Remus’s heart thudded painfully in his chest.

“Yes, Professor?” he questioned, fearing the answer and wishing it would never come, yet hoping to get it over with as quickly as possible. His fingers clenched tightly on the arms of the comfortable chair he was seated in.

Dumbledore gave him a look of deep sympathy before continuing. “Last night, there was a complication after your lycanthropy took charge.”

Remus’s breath stopped. He knew it must have been something along these lines, but he had dared to hope that it wasn’t. What had he done? He couldn’t remember much of the previous night, as his brain only registers flashes of when he transformed. His werewolf side has complete control, but every once in a while, his human mind would struggle against the monster and he will be able to see quick images of things that had taken place in the moonlight.

Dumbledore was watching him intently. “Can you remember anything from last night, Mr. Lupin, anything at all?”

Remus brought his hands to his eyes and blocked out the office, forcing his mind to remember things that probably weren’t even there. His head hurt dreadfully, and his entire body was aching all over. His very bones seemed to be screaming in protest as he strained himself to think clearly. All his mind could see, though, was a werewolf attacking a stag, or a black dog, maybe even ripping apart a small rat. He couldn’t concentrate! Slowly, he shook his head, and Dumbledore blew out a gust of air.

“Remus, last night, a student was out on the grounds.”

The teenager froze in his seat, a look of undaunted fear marring his young features. Dumbledore hadn’t said an animal, or an Animagus was on the grounds. He had said a student. That must have meant an innocent person, who didn’t know what the grounds held in the black of night, had been hurt. His entire body sat paralyzed as he realized what he must have done. What the monster inside him must have done, he thought bitterly. The taste of copper filled his mouth, and he felt like retching. How could he have allowed this to happen? Why did he choose to wander the grounds instead of staying in the Shrieking Shack, when he knew James wouldn’t have been around to help as usual?

Then another thought filled his head. He had just ruined one of his fellow students’ lives. They would never be able to live out their dreams, get their first job, or anything else they had planned to do. Their evenings would no longer be spent laughing, but worrying about what the night would bring. Their days wouldn’t be filled with bubbly life, but with pain and excruciating exhaustion.

Remus’s eyes began to prickle, and he could feel his blood begin to boil. How much of a prat was he? By adventuring across the Hogwarts grounds, he knew he would be possibly putting others at risk. Yet he had done it anyway, sweeping up in the raucous romance of fun. Now, he would forever hate himself for what he had done. No doubt the person whom he had caused this fate would harbor feelings of hatred for him, as well.

Dumbledore sat behind his desk, watching as Remus came to the conclusion. The Headmaster remained quiet, waiting for a question he was sure to come.

“Who was it?” Remus choked out, his voice barely more than a whisper but shaking just as much as his hands. Then, just as Dumbledore opened his mouth to explain, an image sped across Remus’s open eyes. A flash of something that had happened the night before; a flash of red, curly hair and terrified brown eyes.

The young boy’s eyes widened in shock, and his skin paled visibly. He sat there, gaping at what the hidden memory had shown him. No, he thought. No, not Irene, please, if it has to be someone, please, do not let it be Irene!

A memory crept across his scared eyes, and he could see a girl with flaming red curls fall to the ground, he could feel his past self sink his teeth into her arm, feel her warm blood flowing down his throat as he ravaged her. And all the while, her shrieks echoed in his ears, haunting him.

Leaning over in his chair, Remus pressed the heels of his palms into his eyes as hot tears began pooling around the surface of his dark orbs. A gasp escaped his lips as his thin frame heaved up and down from silent sobs. A few tears scorched a bleeding path down his face. They raced each other down his cheek, each filled with an aguish and sorrow not many came to know. He could feel his own heart beating irregularly. They seemed to be in partnership with his gasping lungs. His stomach was twisted into a gigantic knot.

“I’m sorry, Remus, I truly am. There is not much we can do for her. Irene Mahavior is currently residing in St. Mungo’s. At the moment, she is unconscious, but I am receiving hourly reports on her condition. The Healers are doing everything they can to stabilize her.” His voice seemed to have a small soothing effect on Remus, and the boy came out of his hunched position to stare his headmaster in the eye, tears steadily dripping off his chin and nose. His eyes burned red from tears, and his pale skin held angry red blotches.

His mind was working furiously, telling Remus that he had just ruined the life of one of his best friends. Irene had been his companion throughout the years, always a bundle of fun, but also knowing when it was time to be serious, unlike his fellow Marauders. She had a way of brightening the days before a transformation, and keeping his spirits up afterwards when he felt dead on his feet.

Irene had been a picture of life to him, and he might have just ended it in his recklessness. There were so many things about Irene that he always had taken for granted. Her presence had been there every day, and when he thought about the possibility of her leaving this world behind because of him, he felt like wanting to drown himself.

“Is she going to be okay, Professor?” Remus asked quietly. He knew there was the possibility that he might have killed Irene and that if she lived, she would be like him. She would become a raging, terrible werewolf; a killer. Although, in the back of his mind, or it might even have been his heart, he desperately wanted to believe that everything would turn out just fine in the end. And if Dumbledore told him everything would be alright, then it would be.

Dumbledore gazed at him for a moment before turning to look out the window, the sun a faraway symbol of light. “Remus, I really don’t know. Maybe it is old age, or maybe something deeper, but I am going to tell you the truth, for I know you would not want me to lie to you in a time such as this.” Remus nodded, understanding Professor Dumbledore’s trust in him to be able to take such a blow as truth. Dumbledore watched the young boy, admiring his bravery, before continuing. “Irene Mahavior was given less than a fifty-fifty chance to live. Once the werewolf had bitten her, she had fainted on the grounds, and by the time Sirius Black had brought her to me, saying he had been taking a moonlit stroll, she had slipped into a coma.”

Remus’s gut wrenched and heaved like the waves in a horrible storm. He couldn’t take it anymore, and leaned over the side of his chair and wretched. He brought the back of his hand to his mouth, wiping away the disgusting liquid, and Dumbledore waved his wand, vanishing the sickness.

His eyes held such sadness for Remus. He knew the pains of young love, but he was sure he had never experienced what Remus was going through. The knowledge that you might have ended the one thing you cared for above all was undoubtedly so hard on one’s heart; Dumbledore couldn’t believe someone as young as Remus Lupin could bear it.

As Remus sat before his headmaster, he allowed his thoughts to drift. There were things he might never be able to share with Irene, like he had planned. His first serious relationship, for one. He had tried to never allow his feelings for her to grow, but found that sometimes he would mess up, and place a hand on hers, or smile at her differently than usual. He pictured running his fingers through her head full of red curls. Then he thought of how she always complained about her glasses, when he thought they made her look like an intelligent woman. Now there was the chance that he would never be able to tell her any of this, or experience it.

And just like that, he came to a conclusion. No matter what the outcome was Remus would leave Hogwarts. He could no longer endanger his fellow students, nor bring anymore harm to the people he held dearest in his life.

“Professor,” he began, “I think I need to leave Hogwarts.” Even the words brought him a pain. Hogwarts was the only place where he had true friends, friends who loved him even though there was a monster residing beneath his skin. It was the one place where he had found someone he had only been able to dream about spending the rest of his life with, since he never had the courage to tell her about his feelings. But he thought it would be best to leave. There was no need to put others in the same amount of harm he had caused Irene, the one girl he harbored feelings for above all others.

“I thought you might feel that way, Remus, but let us wait until Irene might be able to come back to Hogwarts before you decide.” Dumbledore smiled kindly at Remus, and the boy took this as his cue to leave. He stiffly got to his feet and nodded at his headmaster before passing the ancient phoenix on his way out. Just as the door was closing behind him, he heard Dumbledore say, “Remus, do as your heart tells you to do.”

Well my heart is telling me that I demolished one of my best friends’ lives, Remus thought bitterly, his chest aching. The flash from the night before kept replaying in his mind as he began climbing the stairs back toward Gryffindor Common Room. He would not, could not return to his lessons. He felt as though he were being torn apart at the seams. All he could think about were the pair of horrified brown eyes.

[*][*][*]


Blinding white light and loud voices surrounded Irene Mahavior as she slowly came to her senses. She could sense a heated argument taking place around her, and she struggled to lift her heavy eyelids. They seemed to be sealed shut, screaming in defiance when she tried to raise them. Irene could hear voices drifting all around her, but she couldn’t focus on the individual words. Was she going deaf?

A loud shout jarred her from her musings, and she jerked slightly, but no one noticed. Trapping her inner scream, Irene lifted her eyelids to reveal dull brown eyes. She couldn’t see very far above her, as she was lying on her back without her glasses. Someone must have removed them. But why wasn’t she in her dormitory? And why was her arm feeling as though it had been to Hell and back again?

She could hear a very angry voice coming from her left. It sounded so familiar. Slowly, she turned her face and locked her eyes on the ruddy face of her Da. His eyes were bulging, and there were drops of spittle in his scruffy red beard. Standing next to him was her Mum, who didn’t look at all like her fiery self. On the contrary, she looked quite frail.

Turning her head the other way, Irene saw the person to whom her Da’s shouting was directed. A young blonde woman, who didn’t seem over the age of twenty-one, was clutching her clipboard to her chest and had a very offended look about her. She was glaring at Irene’s Da, and she removed a hand from her clipboard to place on her hip. Irene noticed that she was dressed in St. Mungo’s Healing robes.

Why am I at St. Mungo’s? Irene thought. I’m just fine, I wasn’t sick or anything. She turned slightly and looked beyond her parents to the open window. The white curtains were parted slightly, and she could see that it was nighttime. The millions of stars sparkled in the ebony black sky, and she began counting them to try and drown out the adults’ voices. She recognized other members of her family there as well, including her many cousins who attended Hogwarts, as well as the few Muggle ones.

She noticed that there was no moon in the sky. Funny, she thought, I thought it was full tonight.

And just like a train off its tracks, the memories hurtled at her faster than lightning. In front of her eyes stood a lone wolf, howling at the moon. Glowing, yellow eyes penetrated her very soul. Teeth as long as her fingers barred and snarled at her. She could feel his paws on her back; hear the panting of his putrid breath.

Her own eyes closed as she sank into a horrified trance of memories. She tried to shove the beast off of her, but he was too heavy. A monstrous dog bowled him over, but much too soon he was upon her again, sinking his blood-thirsty teeth into her arm. She could feel the flow of blood; feel the cracking of her bones.

“NO!” Irene screamed out, and her own shout brought her back to the present. Her breath was coming in short, irregular gasps, and she could feel the sweat slicked over her body. She felt bile rising in her throat. Her wild brown eyes darted all over the room, like a terrified deer.

“Irene,” her mum sobbed and threw herself down onto her daughter. Her arm gave an aching throb, but she ignored it. Irene could feel her mum’s warm embrace, could smell her rosewood scent, and she began to cry. Tears poured silently down her pale face, and she gulped air. Her Da had his large palm on her forehead, and his eyes had a pinched look about them.

Irene could hear above her mum’s cries the rest of her large family surrounding her small hospital bed. All she could see were masses of red hair and a mixture of blue and brown eyes. Each face was stricken with grief, and the women all looked as though they had been crying as well. Instinctively, Irene wrapped her left arm around her mum as the horrific truth beat down upon her. She couldn’t hide from it; it consumed her mind.

After many tears and hugs from various family members, the petite blonde woman slid through the group of Irish and Scots to speak to Irene. The traumatized girl awkwardly sat up in the little bed and pulled her legs to her. Her lifeless brown eyes settled on the blonde Healer, and she sighed heavily. The woman was going to tell her something she already knew.

“Hi, Irene Mahavior, my name is Lisa Stroh. I’m the assistant Healer in this ward, and I’ve been watching your progress over the past couple of weeks.” She held out her hand, and Irene lifted her own to give the soft spoken woman a soft handshake. She couldn’t have given the other her usual firm handshake even if she tried; she felt so frail and weak. Irene had never felt like this a day in her life. She had always been a fierce and fiery bird. She felt as if someone had blown her light out.

Not someone, she thought darkly, still surveying the young Healer. Something…a monster. She felt tears begin to prick behind her eyes, but she ignored them and gave the Healer full attention as she began to speak.

“Irene, a trained group of Healers performed many advanced spells on the arm that was bitten by the werewolf. It has healed, but I’m sure you are still in a lot of pain, and will be for a long time.” She looked highly upset at having to be the person to place the news upon Irene and her family. Taking a shaky breath, she continued, “Every person who was ever bitten by a werewolf obtains a scar that never heals for the rest of that wizard or witch’s life. Each scar is different, which is a pro in itself. Never does a werewolf want to be identified as such, so having different scars is a way they can keep their disease hidden. Many times though, the scar can depict a crescent moon shape. Do you see where yours is?”

Irene grabbed the sleeve on her right arm and pushed it up. Small lines of black, blue, and purple criss-crossed their way from her elbow up. Just above her elbow and ending beneath her shoulder, where the werewolf had first sunk his teeth in, there indeed was a hideous scar, darker than the tiny ones surrounding it. It was curved, looking almost like a crescent moon. The scar marred her pale skin and gazed up at her mockingly. All Irene did was stare at it. No one spoke for a long time as Irene looked at her blemish in a daze. A hard twinge of pain brought her back to reality, and she looked around her. Sitting on the bedside table were her square-rimmed glasses. Using her left arm, she picked them up and placed them on her nose.

“I’ve been unconscious for fourteen days?” Irene asked incredulously. When the Healer nodded, Irene sighed. Everything was happening so fast. She didn’t feel as if she was fully accepting the reality of the situation.

Healer Stroh gazed at Irene in sympathy before saying, “You will also experience a transformation, or a Turning, in about fifteen days. I won’t hide the truth from you,” she said, “because telling you the truth is safer than hiding the harder facts. Turnings are not a simple matter, not by far. You can expect them to be very painful, and you will have to be isolated from everyone when it’s time to endure one.”

She continued talking, but Irene only had one thought on her mind, and she interpreted the young blonde. “So, does that mean that I’m going to turn into a werewolf in two weeks?” When the Healer Stroh nodded again, Irene let the tears fall. Her entire life was being yanked from beneath her feet, and there was nothing she could do about it. All her choices were gone, all her plans surely tossed down the drain for her life. Who would hire a werewolf for anything? That’s when another thought hit her.

“Oh no! What am I going to do about school?” Irene fairly shrieked. Her mum placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, and Irene turned to face her. She noticed her mum’s face was lined with worry wrinkles, and she looked utterly exhausted. Her features were pale as a ghost, and she had blue bags underneath her eyes.

“Don’t worry, Irene. We have already met with Professor Dumbledore, and he told us that there will always be a place in Hogwarts for you, no matter what happens.” She smiled slightly, and Irene knew she was thinking of what a great man Dumbledore was. She agreed whole-heartedly. Not many Headmasters would allow a werewolf to attend their school. “But,” her mum continued, “He asked that you do not reveal your condition to anyone outside of family. He told us it would not be wise, or safe to do so.” Irene nodded. She understood exactly what he meant. If she were to let slip that she now suffered from Lycanthropy, she would surely have not a single companion left in the world.

Kahlynn would leave her for someone like Lily Evans, who was a likeable enough girl.

The Marauders would distance themselves from her, maybe not completely, but she was sure they would be very reluctant to hang around her very often.

Remus would never like her, scared of what she had become.

Oh Merlin…Remus! A fresh bout of tears flooded Irene’s eyes and wet her glasses. There would be no chance she would ever be able to be with him now. He would hate her if he ever knew how she really acclaimed her scar, or she told him that she was a werewolf, a killer of the night. He would despise her, hate her. He might be more deep and understanding than the other Marauders, but there was no doubt that he would leave her in an instant if he knew what lay beneath her skin.

Healer Lisa Stroh was speaking again, and Irene pulled herself away from her depressing thoughts.

“There are many different changes a person affected by Lycanthropy can go through. For some, their eye colour starts to take on a golden hue closer to the full moon, while others’ personalities become more vicious near a Turning. Each person is different, and not everyone goes through the same changes as others,” Healer Stroh said. “Also, have you heard that silver can burn a werewolf’s skin?”

Irene nodded.

The Healer smiled. “This is not the case. It is just an old Muggle legend, and a werewolf can touch silver whenever he or she so chooses. And another thing…a werewolf, when coming upon the full moon, has changes in physic. Your body becomes much more agile, and your mind very cunning. After the Turning is over, though, you are probably going to feel very weak, more so, I’m afraid, than you do even now.”

Irene sighed heavily. Her body was aching, not to mention her right arm, which the pain had caused to go numb.

“Irene, we’re going to place you into a dreamless sleep. You need as much rest as possible before you are sent back to school. Your parents have agreed that you will be returned, so therefore, you will need to have as much strength as possible for your first Turning. It isn’t a pleasant process to have to go through, so you will need to be well rested.”

The young redhead nodded and the Healer handed her a vial of purple potion. Before Irene drank it, she gave her mum and Da a hug and said goodnight to the rest of her family, who were traipsing out of the hospital. Sinking back into the pillows, her Da removed her glasses and she brought the vile to her lips. Instantly after draining the drink, she could feel her body succumbing to a dreamless slumber, and she willingly let herself go.

[*][*][*]


Irene stood outside of Professor Dumbledore’s office, scared stiff. She had just returned to school and was told to meet with the Headmaster upon her immediate arrival. Her trunk had been taken to her dormitory by Professor McGonagall, who had met her at the entrance. Now, she would meet with Professor Dumbledore, who was going to explain her future at Hogwarts.

She slowly raised her left hand and knocked, the soft sound echoing dimly around her. She hated the softness. She wasn’t used to being soft. She wanted her strength, her fire, her life back.

The elderly man opened the door, smiling genuinely at Irene and ushering her inside his office. It was exactly the same as the last time she had visited when she had been caught levitating a Slytherin second year onto a chandelier. That seemed like a lifetime ago.

“Miss Mahavior, I must say that I am completely delighted to have you back at Hogwarts. The school sure has been quiet without your influence on our young and sprightly Slytherins.” Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled jokingly, and Irene mustered a small smile. That was just like Dumbledore to remind her of how grateful all the little nasty Slytherins were in her absence.

“I’m surprised Sirius or James haven’t stolen my occupation, then,” Irene replied, laughing as she did. It was the first laugh from her in the near three weeks she had been conscious. “Sir,” Irene leaned forward, suddenly very serious, “When will I find out the werewolf that bit me?” She had received a letter from Dumbledore while she was still in St. Mungo’s, informing her that if she so wished, she would be able to meet the werewolf that had bitten her. He had noted that the werewolf was extremely upset, and it had not been at all intentional. She didn’t care. She still hated the monster that had ruined her life.

“If you wish, Miss Mahavior, you may in a few moments, but first, we need to go over a few things with your condition.” Irene nodded slightly and Dumbledore continued. “How much do you know about werewolves, Irene?”

“Err…not much,” she admitted. “Only the bit the Healers told me in St. Mungo’s.” She shifted in her chair.

Dumbledore looked at her knowingly before continuing, “Well, there is a lot more to a werewolf than just his bite, or what happens to them on the full moon. I think it would be best to tell you first about the history and legends that surround werewolves.

“A werewolf is considered a Dark Creature, and a Dark Creature is an animal that has been considered to offend Nature. They are the opposite of Nature’s true creatures, for example merpeople and centaurs. For them to be named as Dark, they must be wrong; possibly not having a soul, or being alive when they shouldn’t be. Or, like some things, having the attributes of life without actually having life. Forgive me if I am not making myself clear to you,” Dumbledore smiled as Irene looked overwhelmed. Shaking her head, Irene nodded for the headmaster to continue.

“Werewolves, in particular, are considered Dark because the act of forcing your body’s shape into that of another would be enough to kill you. However, a werewolf cannot die from this act of transformation, because they are something of a supernatural being. A werewolf is basically stuck in a stage between being fully alive and completely dead. The magic that runs through your veins, Irene, keeps the Turnings from killing you. Do you understand?”

Irene gazed at him solemnly, her mind burning with unasked questions. How could she be dead, and at the same time be alive and breathing? Nothing was making sense.

“Also, another reason the werewolf is considered such a Dark Creature, is because the human brain must undergo such changes during a Turning that one can not usually remember anything once they have transformed back. The mind must shrink and bend to fit inside a werewolf’s skull, which I believe is pain beyond anything I myself have ever felt.” Dumbledore stood up and began pacing behind his desk. “As the brain has been formed to block out extreme amounts of pain, it does not have memory of the night of the full moon.”

Irene nodded, for she understood what Dumbledore had told her. She could see exactly why there would be no memory of that night. “But sir,” Irene asked, “what of the person’s heart during the transformation? Will I still be the same afterwards?”

Dumbledore gazed at her appraisingly before continuing on his walk. “The heart, Irene, is just an organ. Where your true feelings lie is inside your soul. Some people say that a werewolf has no soul, but I beg to differ. I think that it is just lying dormant until the Turning is over. You will still be pure and mostly the same when you awaken the next morning.”

“Mostly?” Irene whispered. Her eyes looked dull and sad. She didn’t want to change!

“Yes, I’m afraid there will be minor changes,” Dumbledore answered, his voice soft. “Nothing astoundingly different, I assure you. You may have a liking for a rarer delicacy of meats, and often times there are mood swings. When in a situation, Irene, just control your anger, for a wolf is swift to attack, and sometimes she will show herself, even when you are in human form.” Dumbledore finally stopped pacing and settled himself behind his desk once again.

Irene slumped back into her chair, trying to digest as much of the information as she could. There was so much she didn’t know, and so much she was soon to experience during the coming full moon, only about a week away.

“Also, I think, according to records, that you are only the third lupins, or female werewolf. There are many different theories on how the lupins differ from the vârcolac, their male brother. Many say that the female is often times more placid and gentle. Some even go as far as to suggest that the lupins have a greater control over their mind than the males. So this is definitely in favour of you, Miss Mahavior,” Dumbledore said optimistically.

Irene looked up and saw Dumbledore’s eyes sparkle with kindness and understanding. How could he ever understand? Irene though viciously. When was the last time his arm was almost ripped off by a werewolf? How often has his life changed so drastically all because of a hunger driven monster? Irene could feel her anger building up inside of her, bubbling up beneath her skin. She was angry. At herself, for being out on the grounds that night, at the werewolf who had caused her such pain, at Dumbledore for trying to understand. Why everyone couldn’t just let her be, and then maybe this terrible thing inside of her would just go away. Maybe it wasn’t even real…she could be dreaming right now, about to be tossed from her bed by Kahlynn.

But all her anger quickly evaporated when Dumbledore asked, “Are you ready to meet the person who bit you, Miss Mahavior?”

Irene could feel her heart begin to pound, her breathing speed up, and her adrenaline pumping quickly through her veins.

Dumbledore waited on her nod before he stood to allow the werewolf in, and Irene braced herself as a wave of hatred washed over her, and she hoped it would scorch the animal that had broken her. It was now or never.

When Dumbledore opened the door, however, Irene felt herself turn to stone. Her entire throat seized up, and she couldn’t breathe. Her face registered complete and total shock. She was staring into the eyes of Remus Lupin.

[*][*][*]


Remus stepped into the room, his eyes never leaving Irene’s face. It cut him open like a fresh wound as he saw shock and anger cloud her features, and then, after a moment, there were no emotions; nothing but blank and numb indifference. She seemed frozen in her seat, a huge block of ice. He also noticed that her hair didn’t look to have been combed lately. And her eyes….those beautiful brown sparkling eyes he had come to love…they looked dead.

“Irene,” Remus whispered, still standing in the doorway. He could feel his eyes prickling and he took a large gulp of air so he would be sure to not let one tear fall. His palms sweated as he stared into her eyes, which looked back at him blankly. There was no emotion. Where was his energetic, hyperactive friend?

You killed her, a nasty voice cackled in his ear.

“Irene, please,” Remus pleaded. His hands were wringing together and he felt as though there wasn’t enough oxygen in the room. Slowly, Irene turned and faced the wooden desk in front of her, putting her back to Remus. He stared at the back of her head, numbly. Remus felt Dumbledore place a hand on his shoulder, and when he looked into the wizened face of his headmaster, Dumbledore gave him an understanding nod before ushering him into the chair beside Irene. When Remus took the seat, he noted Irene inched as far away as her own chair would permit.

“Now, listen, both of you,” Dumbledore said, folding himself into his own chair. “I want the two of you not speak to anyone about what has happened. None of the other students must know. The professors must be informed, naturally, but no one else.”

Remus nodded, but saw that Irene only stared blankly ahead.

“Another thing, Irene,” Dumbledore said, forcing her attention to him, “I want you to realize that what happened to you wasn’t Mr. Lupin’s fault. When a werewolf Turns, he loses his human mind, like I explained to you. The werewolf takes over, and the human cannot be accounted for his other side’s actions. I do not want you to go on thinking that this was Remus’s fault.”

When Irene made no move to reply, Dumbledore sighed and placed his fingertips together. The room was silent for a moment, and Remus could hear his own heart pounding in his chest. He hadn’t known Irene was going to react the way she was. He had expected screaming and objects being hurtled at him…but not this. He would rather have something thrown at him and declarations of hatred than have her silent and unmoving.

“Well, Remus, I would like you to show Miss Mahavior where the Turnings take place. Irene, you will be able to use Remus’s old spot, seeing as he is contemplating leaving Hogwarts. You may both go.” As the two rose at the same time, Remus went ahead and opened the door, and just as Irene reached him, Dumbledore spoke again. “And Irene…you may never leave the Turning spot. We cannot afford for another accident to befall on one of our students.” Remus looked down at this, knowing the comment was mostly directed at him.

When Remus shut the door behind him, he heard running feet and turned to find Irene already near the bottom of the winding staircase. He hurried after her, and when reaching the bottom shouted at her disappearing back. Growling, Remus began sprinting after her.

As Remus reached the bottom floor, he saw the front doors open to a fine drizzle. Through the rain, he could just spot a small figure heading toward the lake. Taking a deep breath, Remus tore after Irene, not caring in the slightest when he was immediately drenched.

“Irene!” he screamed after her, but she just kept running. Remus didn’t slow, and just as she reached the lake, Irene slid to a stop. Mud covered her robes from the mushy ground. Remus sighed in relief as she came to a halt, and moments later he joined her.

“Look, Irene, we have to talk,” Remus said gently, placing his hand on her arm. Her right arm.

The red head gasped loudly before wrenching her arm away from him. She glared out at the lake and whispered maliciously, “Do. Not. Touch. Me.” Her tone sounded powerful, but to Remus’s trained ears, he heard the quiver behind it. She was trying not to loose control in front of him, and he knew it was taking all of her strength. Still, her words cut through him like a knife, and he took a step back while raising both hands skyward. What had he done to her?

For the first time, Remus took a look at the arm he had bit. Light scars zigzagged across each other, covering her entire arm, but lying against them all was a horrible cut, dark as night. He knew that was where the animal inside of him had claimed his mark.

The rain was falling harder all around them, and Remus saw that she was shivering. He was as well.

“Come on, Irene! Just talk to me,” Remus shouted above the rain. Irene just shook her head before turning to face him. A relived look crossed his face before Irene ran headfirst into him. “Oomph!” he grunted, toppling over. The two of them landed in a heap, mud splattering their robes from the wet ground. Remus tried to sit up, but Irene began feebly punching him and he tried to block her frail attempts. As he looked at her face, he saw that it wasn’t just the rain that was wetting it. Tears were falling thick and fast beneath her glasses, and every few seconds a sob would wrack her body. Remus took a hold of her hands as she tried to hit his gut and he hauled the two of them to their feet.

Both of them were panting and before he could give Irene another chance to try and hurt him, he wrapped his long arms around her tightly, pulling her as close to him as she could get. And she gripped him fiercely back. The two Gryffindors stood in the pouring rain, silent except for the occasional gasp from Irene’s tears.

After a few moments, Remus broke the embrace and looked into her face. It was stained red and blotchy, but he also noticed that her lips were turning a slight shade of blue.

“Let’s go back inside,” Remus whispered, but Irene shook her head. Instead of walking back to the castle, she plopped down in the mud and stared out over the lake. Remus hesitated before joining her. The two of them watched as curtains of water fell across the Black Lake, turning the normally peaceful water choppy.

As they sat in silence, Remus wondered if he truly would leave Hogwarts. Irene hadn’t said anything when Professor Dumbledore had mentioned it, so maybe she wanted him to leave. He had wished to leave as well, but now he wasn’t sure. Hogwarts was such a part of his life, the one place where he had felt safe, where he had had friends. He didn’t know if he could give all of that up. But maybe he was being selfish. He knew in his heart that if Irene wanted him to leave, he would. Now, it was up to her.

And as if she had read his mind, Irene opened her mouth to speak. “Why did Dumbledore say you were going to leave Hogwarts?” He noticed she didn’t look at him when she asked, but continued to look out over the water.

Remus sighed. “I don’t want to hurt you anymore, Irene. Merlin knows I have already caused you enough pain. Your life is changed forever. I don’t want to hinder you anymore than I’ve already done.” He began ripping handfuls of grass out of the ground. When Irene didn’t speak, he looked up and saw her hunched over, thinking.

“Remus,” she said, sitting up and catching his gaze, “you have hurt me. And at first, when I woke up in that hospital bed and remembered what had happened to me, I hated the monster that bit me. I hated that he had taken my life right out from under my feet, hated that I might not ever get to see my friends ever again, and I was terrified of what would begin to happen to me every month.”

Her words clenched around Remus, making it hard for him to breathe. He continued to pull up grass, not looking into Irene’s eyes.

She continued, “But there was also something else that I was deathly afraid of. Do you know what it was?”

Remus finally looked into her eyes, or what he could see of them behind her wet glasses. What he saw made his heart flip over. There were no more blank looks, or pain and hatred etched inside her brown orbs. He slowly shook his head.

“I was scared about what would happen if you found out that I was a werewolf. I was frightened that if I ever told you, that you would stop being my friend.” She paused and took a deep gulp of air. “And I was also scared that you wouldn’t ever like me more than a friend.”

Remus could feel her eyes boring into his, and he stared right back. His breath was coming in quicker intervals as he digested what Irene had just told him. She liked him more than just a friend. Even though he was a werewolf, and through all that had unexpectedly happened between them. His heart was speeding up and his eyes flickered to her blue lips. He now had an inkling of why James obsessed over redheads, one in particular.

Gathering his courage, Remus leaned forward slightly and said, “Irene, would you mind terribly if I kissed you?” He waited, watching the rain droplets slide over her pale skin. When she shook her head, Remus leaned forward even farther, closing the distance between them. He could feel his breath coming even quicker, as was Irene’s. Just before their lips touched, Irene giggled softly. Pulling back, Remus felt the blood rush to his neck and cheeks before asking, “What?”

“Nothing,” Irene laughed again. Her own cheeks were a bit pink. “It’s just…your breath tickled me,” she smiled lightly, and Remus felt his own smile form.

Leaning closer, Remus whispered, “Let’s hold our breath,” before pushing his lips against Irene’s. When Irene pushed her lips harder against his, Remus felt his head spinning. He had kissed a few girls over the years, but none had felt as good as this. Maybe the other kisses just didn’t have the history behind them, Remus reasoned as he lifted a hand to caress Irene’s cheek. He could taste the rain on her lips, and also something salty, probably from her tears. He could feel her hands sweeping through his wet hair, and he shivered at her touch. Just as he thought he might suffocate from lack of air, Irene broke the kiss. When he opened his eyes, he saw Irene trying to catch her breath with a small smile dancing across her lips. They were no longer blue, but a dark red hue.

“Was that okay?” Remus questioned. When Irene nodded he felt his heart jump a bit, but tossed it off as adrenaline.

“Maybe we should do it again sometime,” Irene laughed, pushing her matted hair away from her face. She pulled her glasses off and used her wand to repel the rainwater. Placing them back on, Remus smiled when she said, “Don’t know how I aimed right with these things on.”

Just as the rain began easing up, Irene spoke again. “You haven’t told me where our Turnings are going to take place yet.” She smiled, knowing Remus would catch her use of the word our.

Pointing out to their right he explained to her the tunnel that ran under the Whomping Willow, which connected to the Shrieking Shack. She nodded in understanding. “I never knew why Dumbledore would want such a dangerous tree planted on the grounds. Now I do.”

Taking her hand, Remus pulled her to her feet. As the two of them began making their way through the rain, Remus wondered how he had ever even considered leaving Hogwarts. He now had an even better reason to stay.
Unmasked in the Moonlight by beauty and brains
Irene’s hand tightened on Remus’s as they stood outside the Fat Lady’s portrait. She could feel her breath quickening but knew she shouldn’t panic. Everything is going to be okay, she told herself. Her eyes met the boy’s at her side and she could feel herself shake. Remus looked so calm standing there, framed against the torchlight. Irene now knew exactly why Remus had been made a Gryffindor instead of a Ravenclaw. She and the other Marauders had always teased him, but now she knew that his bravery wasn’t shown in the reckless way Sirius’s was, or in his determination like James. Hell, not even like Peter, who was brave in the way he was showed complete loyalty to his mates. No, Remus showed his Gryffindor colours in taking the trials and tribulations life so mercilessly threw at him with dignity. Irene could feel a kind of respect for him that she had never felt towards anyone else, not even Dumbledore.


Feeling her hands become clammy, Irene whispered, “Remus, I’m scared.” She could feel her heart rate speeding up and tried to calm herself.


He turned to face her, his expression full of understanding. Taking Irene’s other hand, he looked her in the eye, and assured her that everything was going to be okay. “Just remember, if anyone asks where you’ve been for the past few weeks, you were attending your mum’s sick bed.”


Irene gulped down the bile that threatened to rise up her throat before allowing Remus to answer the Fat Lady’s question for the password. As the portrait door swung open, the small redhead heard running feet coming in her direction. Turning her back on the large hole in the wall, she was greeted by a sound tackle from Kahlynn.


“Irene Mahavior! Where the hell have you been?” Kahlynn’s shouts echoed down the empty hall as she tried to hug and punch Irene at the same time. Irene, however, could only smile and hold in the tears that tried to push past her lashes. Her best friend was by her side, the boy she had hopes for the future was grinning knowingly at her, and to top it all off, the rest of The Marauders were just coming around the corner in hot pursuit of Kahlynn.


As Kahlynn released her, Irene inconspicuously reached for Remus’s hand and squeezed it gently. The Marauders were around them now. Sirius, who had obviously noticed their clasped hands, was clapping Remus on the shoulder and saying something along the lines of taming the little Irish squirt. In the liveliness of the moment, Irene was able to dodge her friend’s question for the time being. The group piled into the Common Room. It was quite empty since everyone was still down eating in the Great Hall. Kahlynn told her the only reason she knew Irene had arrived back was because a first year had seen her walking to Professor Dumbledore’s study earlier in the day.


“Speaking of first years,” said James, “I remember little Rosely hitting you with the pea at lunch, Sirius.” He was rubbing his hands together with a delighted gleam behind his glasses. “Think we’ll have time to catch him on his way back to Ravenclaw Tower?”


“Absolutely!” Sirius smirked. “Care to join us, Mahavior? Your absence has been a real downer on our group activities. We need our lovely little lioness to distract the Slytherins.” Sirius adopted his winning grin while Peter snorted.


Irene cocked an eyebrow at the speaker. “I thought I was the little Irish squirt?” She crossed her arms and stuck out her hip. “And no, Black, I refuse to come along to flirt with a first year just so you can charm his shoelaces together. Ask Kahlynn.” With that she walked over to the plumpest armchair in front of the fire.


Rubbing her chilled hands against the fire, Irene rolled her eyes when she heard Sirius tell Kahlynn that her dashing good looks would be an excellent distraction. Hearing Kahlynn’s giggle, Irene toyed with the thought of just how gullible her best friend truly was before sinking back into her chair. She noted the portrait door closing behind her friends. When she opened her eyes though, Remus’s handsome face filled her vision. He was sitting on the edge of a couch, his elbows propped up against his knees.


“Why aren’t you off pranking?” she asked him, shifting her weight. To her, he looked about as bad as she felt, which was pretty horrible. She could feel so many unanswered questions sitting between them, a lifetime of troubles and hardships. There were so many barriers telling her that this thing between them, this relationship, would never work. But no matter how much they taunted, she intended to break down as many of the walls that she could. She only hoped Remus felt the same.


“Remus?” Irene questioned, for he still had not looked up from the carpet. When his eyes locked on hers, Irene saw him quickly blink back unshed tears. Rising swiftly, she walked around a small coffee table before crouching down next to him. “What is it, Remus?”


She had to place her hand under his chin and force his grey orbs to look into hers before he replied, “How can you be so forgiving?”


Reaching for his hand, Irene could feel him trembling beside her. “I know now that when we go through a Turning, we are not ourselves. At first, I admit it; I blamed the alleged monster who did this to me. But now, Remus, I know the truth. You couldn’t control you actions, you weren’t in your right mind.” Irene watched as a lone tear trickled down his cheek. She had never seen him cry before and found her heart breaking. Neither of us should have to deal with such things, she thought viciously.


Remus straightened from his hunched position and clenched her hand tightly. “Even if you don’t blame me…I blame myself.”


“Don’t, Remus””


“It was my fault!” he roared. Irene jumped, shocked at his sudden mood change. His face had turned an angry red and his hands were balled in fists. “I was out on the grounds with Sirius when I should have been in the Shrieking Shack!” He stood up abruptly and walked over to stand in front of the fireplace.


“With Sirius?” asked Irene, bewildered. She remembered Dumbledore telling her that Sirius had found her when he was walking out on the grounds for his own moonlit stroll. But how was he with Remus? Wouldn’t the werewolf have attacked the other boy as well?


“Yes, with Sirius,” Remus sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose and Irene saw in the glow of the firelight an old man, wearied by years of pain and frustration. He swept his hand through his hair before sitting back down on the couch next to Irene. She looked at him quizzically, and he continued with his explanation.


“James, Sirius, and Peter are all Animagi. Sirius was the black dog you saw that night.”


Irene’s face was blank as she absorbed this new information. Why had they never told her? Hadn’t she proven herself a worthy friend and mate? How could she not have known? She stared at the boy beside her with a hurt look in her eyes.


“None of you ever told me about that. I’ve been best mates with the lot of you since we were eleven!”


Hurriedly, Remus countered, “We wish we could have told you, Irene, but no one besides us knew about what I was, so we couldn’t tell anyone. It…it wasn’t anything personal.”


The redhead nodded slowly, coming to terms with the news. “So, do they all go to the Shrieking Shack with you on full moons?” Then something hit her like a ton of bricks. “What’s going to happen now that I’m going to be there too? They’re going to know what I am!” Her hands began wringing in her lap, her eyes tearing up behind her glasses. It was her one wish to keep this disease to herself, her family, the teachers, and Remus. No one else was supposed to know about it.


Moving closer across the plump cushion, Remus captured her gaze. “Sirius, Peter, and James would never betray you, Irene. You know that. You can trust them with this. They’ve known about me ever since we were second years. Nothing would change between you if they knew.” His eyes were so understanding and sweet, Irene found it hard not to curl up with him and weep. “Although,” he continued in a whisper, “I’m surprised your opinion of me hasn’t changed.”


“Oh, don’t start that again, Remus. I don’t blame you for this! It’s not your fault!” Irene practically shrieked. How on earth could he think he had control over what happened?


“But it is my fault! How could you not see that?” His voice was raised again, but Irene didn’t flinch this time. “I was supposed to be in the Shrieking Shack, but instead of thinking it through, Sirius, Peter, and I decided we would be fine even if James wasn’t with us. We…we didn’t think…” Remus was spluttering, trying to organize his thoughts. He needed Irene to blame him, he wanted her to. He felt so guilty in his heart.


But Irene was having none of it. She launched herself off of the couch, glaring at him while placing her hands on her hips. If there was one thing she was good at, it was winning fights. And this was one she was going to win even if it killed them!


“Listen, you arse! You’re acting completely bolloxed, and I shan’t be having any more of this gob-shite thrown at me! I don’t blame ye worth a damn, so why don’t you stop being such a babby about it and dry up!” Irene’s face felt burning hot as she yelled at the top of her lungs. She knew was talking like a complete Irish ganky, but by the by, she couldn’t have cared less.


Remus stared at her, his eyes becoming steadily darker. Rising to his feet, he towered over Irene in height. “Why won’t you try to understand my point, where I’m coming from?” he countered back.


Irene laughed mockingly, tilting her chin forward in defiance. “You have no point, Remus. You’re being nothing but a sod, for reasons I have nary a clue about. What, exactly, is so horrible about me not wanting to blame my best mate over something he had no control over?”


“I HAD CONTROL OVER IT!” Remus bellowed. His teeth were bared, his face contorted. He quickly captured his anger, knowing how close he was to the full moon. He couldn’t allow the wolf to overcome him. Not yet.


“You had control over biting me?” Irene asked skeptically.


“No…I had control over where I was at the time. If I would have been where I was supposed to be, you wouldn’t be in this predicament. I would never have bitten you, and none of this would have ever happened.” Remus rubbed his temples, sitting back on the couch.


Irene crossed her arms tightly but plopped down next to him. She knew Remus was being completely illogical, which was quite strange and out of the ordinary for him. Thinking about how to best argue her point, she began, “Remus you have to understand that it was just an accident. Accidents happen, and most of the time there is little control over the situation or setting in which they do happen. And as much as you want me to, I will not push this off onto your shoulders when you know just as well, and more so, than I do, that there is very little we can do once the full moon has occurred.” Reaching under his chin to look into his eyes, Irene said, “I never have, and never will, blame you for this.”


Remus shivered at her deep and understanding tone. He looked past her glasses, straight into her dark brown eyes. He didn’t think he would ever understand how she could not hate him for this, but was eternally grateful that she didn’t. Remus knew it would break his heart if he were to lose her again like he almost did that night.


The girl felt her heart begin to beat wildly as Remus put his hand on her cheek, drawing her in. Irene grinned slightly before brushing her lips softly against his; loving the shivers she was receiving from his other hand tangled in her hair. She shifted her weight, leaning her body against him. She could feel his arm wrap around her waist and he slowly pulled her down with him, sinking into the plump cushions.


“Looks like he’s done a whole lot more than tame her,” Sirius commented loftily from behind the couch.


“Yeah, seems to me like he’s already bred with her and everything,” James said conversationally.


“If so, you’re babysitting, mate,” Peter said to Sirius while Kahlynn giggled loudly beside them.


Remus had sat up so fast, Irene had fallen off the couch. He pulled her up before the pair of them peered over the couch to find their best friends crouching low to the ground.


“How long have you been hiding behind there?” Irene demanded. She felt a nasty prickle creeping up her spine. If they had heard her argument with Remus, then Kahlynn would know she was a werewolf!


“We just walked, or should I say crawled in. The boys here thought it would be pretty funny to listen to two teenagers filled with raging hormones,” Kahlynn said airily. Irene and Remus exchanged relieved glances.


Now all I have to do is lay low and not give myself away as a werewolf, one of the most feared creatures in the Wizarding World, thought Irene as she waved to Remus and followed her best friend up the stairs to her dormitory.


[*][*][*]



The week passed too quickly for Irene, who was terrified of what the full moon would bring. She had already sat down in the Room of Requirement with the four Marauders and explained what had truly happened to her. Everyone else had been given the story that her mum had come down with an unknown disease but was making a full recovery.


Irene had also been able to see the Marauders in Animagi form, all except Remus, of course. She had always wondered why their nicknames were so unusual, but now understood completely. When she had voiced this aloud, Sirius had quickly decided that, as she would now be apart of their monthly rendezvous, she would be in need of her own name as well. So she had been officially dubbed ‘Red’. The boys had said that this wouldn’t be suspicious at all, unlike Remus’s cleverly disguised nickname.


“Tonight’s the night!” Sirius exclaimed on their way to Charms class. James, Peter, and Sirius all grinned excitedly, but Irene could only manage a weak grimace. She had barely slept a wink last night. Irene was scared to death of what awaited her in only a few short hours. Her body hurt all over and she could feel the pull of the moon.


She wasn’t the only one either. Irene looked to her right and saw Remus stumbling along, looking half asleep. It wasn’t that the full moon made them tired, Irene thought. No, that was after the transformation. It was the fear of what was to come that had kept the pair up all night. Irene could feel her senses heighten the longer the day wore on. Her eyesight intensified, as did her sense of smell and hearing. That morning, Irene had also noticed her brown eyes had taken on a golden tinge.


Irene felt someone staring at her. Whipping her eyes around, she saw the familiar form of Severus Snape, more commonly known to her as Snivellus. He was but three feet away, hidden in the shadow of a small alcove. Irene had a funny feeling he had been trying to eavesdrop.


“Alright, Snivellus?” she asked, her voice raised so the others would hear. Snape stepped out of the shadows as all the Marauders, with the exception of Remus, turned to face the Slytherin, all with identical and malicious grins. Remus just paused, a soft sigh barely escaping his lips. Irene knew he hated it when she would instigate a fight between their friends and Snape, but this time there was an actual reason. Far too many times had Snape tried to stir up trouble about the group, asking where Remus was off to on the full moons. Irene knew she could possibly become his next target. And she would rather take him down than let herself fall.


James subtly drew his wand, holding it at his side, but Irene saw Snape’s eyes flicker to it before pulling his own out of his pocket. She, along with Sirius, Peter, and after a second’s hesitation, Remus, followed suit.


“Why are you hiding, Snivellus?” James taunted.


“Afraid someone’s going to attack you with a bar of soap?” Sirius asked, laughing as he did so.


Snape, however, did not reply. Instead he placed his piercing gaze on Irene, who felt a small shiver run up her spine. Hardening her eyes, she stared into his black depths, refusing to blink or look away. Images began darting past her eyes, as if someone were reading her life like a book. She saw herself riding her cousin’s grey pony over green hills, receiving her letter from Hogwarts, meeting the Sirius on the train. The flashes kept speeding up, going so fast Irene couldn’t think clearly. What was going on?


A small Irene being bullied by older Slytherins, the Gryffindor Common Room Talent Show hosted by Sirius and James, cursing Yaxley for picking on Peter, a bear-like dog bowling over a howling werewolf…


Irene heard someone roar in anger just as a spell hit her, pushing her backwards into a body. Brilliant lights flew before her eyes as spells rocketed around the corridor. She was being pulled into the tiny alcove Snape had resided in only moments before. Sirius voice echoed in her ears, calling her Red and telling her to hang on. Her vision began growing hazy, like it did when she wasn’t wearing her glasses. The last thing she saw before her eyesight completely clouded over were the Marauders, all with their backs to her, firing curse after curse at the pack of Slytherins who had come to Snape’s aid.


[*][*][*]



For the second time in nearly two weeks, bright lights and loud voices awoke Irene Mahavior. She kept her eyes closed, wondering what the shouting was all about.


“”did something to her! She went all stiff, her eyes rolled back in her head!”


McGonagall’s crisp voice spoke over Sirius, and said, “Severus Snape did not use any type of spell on Miss Mahavior, as you very well know. It was Mr. Dolohov who used the Rictasempra curse, and he is being rightly punished, as all of you will be.”


“But Professor, she went limp before the curse hit her!” Remus’s voice rang out.


“No, I’m sure you just didn’t see it correctly,” Irene’s head-of-house said tartly. “You boys really need to return to my office, so we can discuss””


“I’m sorry Professor McGonagall, but I wish to speak to them first.” Dumbledore’s voice cut in calmly from the door of the infirmary. Irene’s eyes flashed open, but she couldn’t see very well due to the absence of her square-rimmed glasses.


Professor McGonagall’s exit was masked by Sirius’ shout that Irene was awake. The boys crowded around her hospital bed, Dumbledore standing behind them with a slight grin at their obvious enthusiasm. Irene’s eyes, however, were only for Remus. He appeared shaken as he grabbed her hand with a hard strength, gripping it tightly within his own. She gave him a slight smile before turning her attention to the headmaster.


“Miss Mahavior, I am glad to see that you are awake and physically unhurt. I will assure you that I know exactly what Severus Snape performed in that hallway, and he is being rightfully punished for it. You and your friends here should put it out of your minds.” He smiled at the group before continuing. “Mr. Potter, Mr. Black, and Mr. Pettigrew, I request that you return to Professor McGonagall’s office as she requested. Mr. Lupin, please remain here.”


Irene watched as her friends filed out of the hospital wing, each waving dejectedly. She shook her head in amusement at the look of dread of Peter’s face compared to the way James was grinning victoriously, claiming they was still even in his and Sirius’s race for who could acquire the most detentions.


“Now, Miss Mahavior,” Professor Dumbledore began as the door closed with a snap. “I realize you might be a little shaken from today’s events, but I trust you are still ready to face what must take place tonight?” When she nodded slowly, Dumbledore clapped his hand onto Remus’s shoulder and instructed them to meet Professor McGonagall in the Entrance Hall right after dinner. And with that, he wished the pair of them luck and swept out of the room is a haze of purple robes.


Remus sank down onto the bed next to Irene. He looked at her hard, and she stared back with a questioning gaze.


“You scared me today,” he said softly. “If Filch hadn’t of come when he did…I don’t know what I would have done to Snape.”


Irene watched him in silence, studying the lines that wove throughout his brow. “I’m fine,” she said simply. “Actually, I would be really grateful if Madame Pomfrey released me from this prison cell.”


At that moment, Madame Pomfrey came bustling out of her office. “I heard that remark, Miss Mahavior, and you had better be glad I allow you in at all, as often as I have to patch you up. You may go now.” Irene laughed, but she saw that the older woman’s smile didn’t reach her eyes, and her expression darkened as she watched the pair exit the hospital wing.


[*][*][*]



The clinking of silverware and goblets was deafening to Irene. Her hearing had intensified so much throughout the day that her ears positively ached with noise. She quickly devoured a few chicken legs before forcefully shoving back from the table and telling Remus she couldn’t take the overwhelming sounds anymore. Irene walked as fast as she could to the peace and quiet of the Entrance Hall.


She stood against the wall beside a painting of Archie the Activist, who had tried to ban the killings of fire-crabs. The large windows were allowing orange light to pour through, and as Irene watched it recede to pink, her insides heaved with fear. She could feel the chicken trying to come back up her esophagus. Sliding down the wall, she buried her face in her arms, breathing heavily.


“On your feet, Miss Mahavior,” came a clipped tone from over her head. Irene pushed her red curls away from her eyes and met the burning gaze of Professor McGonagall. She staggered upright just as Remus walked out of the Great Hall. “Let’s go, it’s getting late already,” their professor said.


When the three of them arrived at the Whomping Willow, Irene watched as Professor McGonagall took a long stick and poked sharply at a knot on the tree’s trunk, which immobilized it immediately. She stared in amazement as Remus scrunched down and crawled through a small hole. She took a step to follow him when the woman at her side placed a hand on her shoulder.


“Miss Mahavior,” she began when Irene turned to face her. “I would just like you to know…that, well…just take care of yourself, and I hope to see you safe and sound in my class in a few days,” Professor McGonagall said. Irene felt both amazed and thankful as her professor wiped her eye and set back off to the castle, leaving her to follow Remus and find out exactly how her fate would play.


Bending down, Irene managed to climb inside the tree right before it started moving again. Remus was waiting for her inside. Neither of them said a word as Remus led Irene deeper and deeper down into the ground. She could feel thin roots scratching her arms as the two of them shuffled through the tunnel. The lower they walked, the damper the air became.


The tunnel suddenly began to slope upwards again. Irene could feel the sweat trickling down the back of her shirt as the steep climb pulled at her muscles, making them scream in defiance. Her breath became heavy and she was soon panting.


“Not long now,” Remus said, taking her hand and pulling her along as she stumbled out of weariness. She noticed he wasn’t even slightly winded.


After what seemed like hours, the dark tunnel began leveling off. Irene swept her plastered hair out of her eyes and stopped. The tunnel had opened to a room. She gazed around her, astounded, for she knew exactly where she was, for she had been here before. Sirius had dared her to go inside with Peter when she was in her second year of school. The torn furniture was still the same, the gouges on the walls, the same grey boarded up windows. They were inside the Shrieking Shack.


She followed Remus into the center of the room and faced him for instructions. “What do I do now?”


Taking a deep breath, Remus began. “Well, before every transformation, you have to…ah, um…well unless you want your clothes completely shredded, you can’t be wearing anything.” His entire face had turned a clammy shade of red and Irene could feel a sickly blush begin to claim her own cheeks and neck.


“Where do I need to…” her voice drifted off as Remus pointed to a door next to the staircase. She nodded and felt her knees almost give out as she took a shaky step. Her entire body quivered, and Irene could safely say she had only been this frightened once before in her entire life.


She pushed the door open, closed it behind her, and rested her weight against it, listening to it groan. She could hear Remus on the other side. With trembling fingers, Irene unlaced her trainers. Setting them aside, she yanked her socks off, stuffing them inside the shoes. Next came the robe, which she lifted over her head and folded into a neat square. A shirt, jeans, and undergarments quickly followed, until Irene stood entirely naked, a cool evening breeze stinging her skin when the boards allowed it in.


Looking down by her feet, Irene studied the folded clothes. Without so much as a thought, she let out a strangled cry and kicked it with as much force as she could muster. Her trainers hit an old painting which dropped to the floor with a crash. The crumbling house moaned in protest.


“Irene, are you okay?” came Remus’s concerned voice from the other side of the door.


Irene began to sob. “Remus, I don’t think I can do this. I “ I’m so scared.” She couldn’t swallow, and her tears were pouring down in small rivers, leaving clear tracks across her sweaty face.


“Put something on, I’m coming in.” Irene scrambled to throw her robe around her body before he opened the door. He had donned only his robe, and he closed the door behind him, sliding down on the floor next to her.


“What’s going to happen to me?” Irene asked, her voice sounding strange as she continued to leak tears.


The boy next to her sighed, hating to see her so confused and helpless, a total difference from what she usually was. “I’m not going to say that it won’t hurt, because it does. It hurts more than anything you can imagine. You won’t be able to think, and you will lose your human mind. When you wake up, you won’t be able to remember much, only small flashes. However, the other Marauders and I will be here for you in the morning.”


Irene lifted her head and locked eyes with Remus. He reached over and used his thumb to wipe away the last of her tears. Then, he leaned close to her, touching her bare shoulder. Irene’s breath rushed in and out, and for a moment, she had a strong instinct to bury her nose in his neck and smell his scent. She resisted it, however, enough to instead push her lips against his and simply kiss him for a long moment.


When Remus pulled back, he put his cheek next to hers and she could smell him, practically taste him. His scent was rough and yet intoxicating, like wood smoke. She inhaled deeply, and then pulled back out of embarrassment.


“It’s not unnatural. Don’t worry,” he said. Rising to his feet, Remus continued, “The others will be here in a few moments. And Irene?” He opened the door. “When the moon calls to you, don’t resist it.”


Pushing her robe off again, Irene waited. She heard the Marauders arrive, although they did not try to speak to her. She sat in silence. She could hear her blood singing throughout her veins; feel the chill rushing closer as the full moon approached. She moved to the middle of the room so as to look out of a crack in the boards where she could see the sky.


A cloud shifted. A silver moonbeam touched her face.


Irene let out a scream as she felt her blood begin to boil inside her. She crumpled into a pile, her limbs twitching spastically. Fighting against it, she tried to clamber to her feet but shortly lost balance as her feet became paws too small to sustain her human form. She watched as hair erupted out of her skin, enshrouding her in a red and brown pellet. Remembering what Remus said, Irene went limp. Her nails sharpened into claws, pushing their way out of her nail beds. Her bones broke in some areas and mended together in others, crunching, scraping. Muscles tore into pieces and knitted themselves elsewhere. A snout protruded out of her face and fangs sprouted past her gums. Her eyes glowed yellow. When her transformation had been completed, her screams and yells of pain still echoed around the room and throughout the house.


[*][*][*]



The next morning, it was rumored down in the local pub that a woman had been murdered inside the Shrieking Shack.


“Did you hear those screams, Dot? Lord Almighty, I nearly went inside to save the girl myself, but then I thought of my wife and kids and just couldn’t.”


Dot shook her head as the other patrons discussed last night’s events. “Something bad got that girl, and hopefully none of us will ever find out what it was.”


[*][*][*]



“Irene. Irene, get up. We’ve got to get back to the castle before anyone wakes up.” A hand was shaking her softly, and the red head rolled over onto her back, groaning. Her body was in complete agony. She had trouble simply opening her eyes. Someone had handed her her glasses. Pushing them onto her nose, she saw Remus’s form. He had a hand over his face for some odd reason. Looking around, Irene caught a glimpse of her own bare skin. Gasping, she rocked to her feet and grabbed her clothes, not caring how much her limbs protested.


“I thought it would be better to awaken you myself than, say, Sirius,” he said sheepishly, trying to find the door handle without the use of his eyes. “Oh, and any cuts and scrapes on you Madame Pomfrey will fix up in a jiff.”


Examining herself, Irene saw that she had many bloodied areas all over her body. There was a shallow gash in her hip, and along her right shoulder she saw claw marks. There were also many small nicks covering her arms and legs. She decided that instead of pulling her jeans and shirt over her many wounds, she would simply opt for her robe and undergarments.


When she opened the door, James and Sirius whistled. “You’re quite the sight for sore eyes,” James said.


“Shove off, Prongs,” she answered him. “Someone simply get me to the hospital wing before I drop dead right here.”


Later that morning, after she had been properly bandaged and relieved of her cuts, Irene climbed into her four poster bed, sighing into the down-filled pillows. She didn’t awake that Saturday until well into the evening hours.


“So, sleepyhead,” Kahlynn said from her own bed when she noticed Irene’s open eyes. “How does it feel to sleep the night and the day away? You do absolutely nothing stressful or exhausting, and yet you can still sleep that much. How is that possible?”


“Oh,” Irene grinned, “you have no idea.” She could hear the four boys downstairs, shouting about something, and her smile widened. Everything wouldn’t change after all. Life would go on as normal, or as normal as possible. She would still have her friends, her life at Hogwarts, and there was also Remus. And when she thought about the previous night, Irene knew that she and Remus would be able to conquer their lives together, as lovers in the moonlight.




A/N “ I decided to put the author note at the bottom this time, as there is more to write. Well, this is the end of Irene Mahavior. I do hope you enjoyed your short journey with her. If anyone requests, I do think I could write a few one-shots about her and Remus. Does anyone have any ideas? Or would you just like to plug her up by now? I enjoyed writing this three-shot, and I had lots of fun toying with Remus. I would also like to put in a word for Poppet for all her tireless help while this story was only in the makings. Then there is also Lindsey, or Ron x Hermione, for all her awesome betaing, and her endless encouragement. Thanks so much! And Tash, thanks a million for the help with this last installment. And last but not least, thank you Kelsey, one of my best friends for pushing me and complimenting me, boosting my confidence in my writing. And I have to thank everyone who reviewed. You guys are great!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=65824