Just Breathe by hiversgrrl
Summary: Draco is on the run from both the Order and the Death Eaters. He's hiding with someone who has her own reasons for disliking the Malfoys. But now that he is on his own and can make his own decisions, will he finally learn how to form his own opinions about life? Will he learn how to just be and breathe?
Categories: Draco/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5999 Read: 7178 Published: 04/16/07 Updated: 06/16/07

1. Chapter 1 - The Escape by hiversgrrl

2. Chapter 2 - Once Bitten, Twice Shy by hiversgrrl

3. Chapter 3 - Not So Nice To Meet You by hiversgrrl

Chapter 1 - The Escape by hiversgrrl
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta Bewitcher_SR for her input!



Chapter 1 – The Escape

The heavy silence of the night was ripped in two by a loud CRACK! Two men suddenly appeared on the dusty country lane. The younger blonde with the pale, pointed face fell forward onto his knees. Coughing violently, he fought the urge to retch into the dirt. He felt his throat on fire and his stomach was revolting against him.

“Come along, Draco,” the older figure said as he bent over and tried to help the younger man up.

Draco looked up at his teacher. Snape had done what Draco could not, or in reality realized he didn’t want to do. He had killed Dumbledore. Draco’s only chance for salvation was gone in the instant Snape had raised his wand. “Don’t touch me!” Draco fell back and crawled away from Snape much as a crab would.

“You did it! You killed him!” Draco screamed.

Severus Snape clutched his wounded arm. That raging beast of a hippogriff had attacked him as he had tried to flee. “I did what I had to.” Snape looked around the deserted countryside. “We need to get out of the open. I know of a… friend whose house is Unplottable. It isn’t far from here. You aren’t safe.” He reached down once again to help Draco up.

Draco pushed Snape’s hand away and stood up rather unsteadily. “I’m not safe? What about you? You killed Dumbledore!” Draco couldn’t help it and he let out a loud, frustrated laugh. “And I’m not safe? Safe from whom? You?”

Snape grabbed Draco’s arm and pulled him close, snarling into his face. “From The Dark Lord, that’s who. By now he knows you failed at your task and that I had to finish it for you. He won’t be very pleased with you. I need to get you settled, then I will go back for Narcissa. She’s not safe either.”

At these words Draco paled once more. His skin, which had taken on a rather increasingly grey tinge through the course of the year, turned white. “My mother?” He knew Snape was right. His mother was in danger and it was all Draco’s fault. Knowing Draco had failed would only serve to infuriate Lord Voldemort. There was no way that Narcissa would not be the recipient of the Dark Lord’s fury. But in the end, he could not do it. He had not been able to murder someone, even if the result of failure would be his own death. Draco looked around wildly, as if Death Eaters were hiding behind the trees. “I need to get to my mother.”

“I will help your mother, once we get you inside.” Snape started to drag Draco along the lane.

“She needs to be warned! I can’t let anything happen to my mother.” Draco dug his heels in and refused to walk any further.

Snape sighed, very frustrated. Closing his eyes he raised his wand as a silver snake flew out of the tip and slithered away on wings into the night sky. “There, she will be warned.” Snape once again set off, bringing Draco along. To the astonished look on Draco’s face, he replied, “My Patronus, an Amphiptere. A snake with wings. It will take the warning to your mother as well as give her instructions on where she can hide until I can get to her. We needed a way to communicate should anything… unforeseen happen. I suggested using a Patronus to let her know of any emergencies.” Snape had of course neglected to inform Narcissa and now Draco that Patronuses were the method of communication used by the Order of the Phoenix.

“Until we can get to her,” Draco replied.

“No, you cannot see your mother. It is too dangerous at the moment. The Dark Lord and his followers will be watching.” Snape turned onto a smaller path.

Draco followed reluctantly. He still felt ill. The vision of Dumbledore floating up then falling over the tower returned. It was too much to bear. The path was uneven and Draco stumbled again, going down on his hands and knees.

Snape stopped and moved to help Draco stand again.

“I told you not to touch me!” Draco screamed at him. He pushed hard at the professor.

Snape grunted painfully as Draco made contact with the wounds Buckbeak had inflicted on him while he was dueling with Potter. Pulling his hand away, he could see blood flowing anew. “Fine! Have it your way. Just hurry, we have to get to where we are going.” He did not know how much longer he would be able to sustain the effort it took to walk. The state of his injuries were beginning to impair him.

Draco stood up. Get a grip, he thought to himself, breathe. He took a deep breath. He needed to assess what had happened back at the Astronomy Tower. He had lowered his wand. He was a coward. Shame filled him and his cheeks flushed with heat. But is it really cowardice to not want to murder? Draco thought as looked up at his teacher a few steps ahead of him. He did not know what exactly to think about him. Snape murdered Dumbledore tonight. But did he do it out of hatred or because of the Unbreakable Vow? Had he chosen to kill Dumbledore or had he been forced to? His mind raced with questions as he walked.

A sudden rustling of the previously still leaves on the trees caused Draco to look up.

Snape paused and held his arm out against Draco’s chest. “Wand out.” Snape, who had not put his wand away, pointed it out into the darkness. As soon as Draco had his wand in hand Snape took a tentative step forward.

A small black shape flitted down from one of the tree branches. It hovered a few seconds in front of the pair before transforming into a very tall, colorless man. His eyes, clear and dead looking, never wavered from the two people in front of him as he bowed slightly. “Severus.”

Snape, still holding Draco behind him, nodded his head at the stranger.

“Darrien.” He Held his wand up higher. “What brings you here?”

Darrien smiled. His gleaming skin reflected the moonlight and Draco could see small fangs on his canine teeth. “I’m on a mission.” His eyes flicked over Draco quickly, then back to Snape. “The Dark Lord, though delighted the task was completed, was displeased that it was not done as he ordered.”

Snape moved to completely obscure Draco from the vampire’s view. “The mission is complete. The soft-hearted Muggle-lover is dead.”

Darrien snickered softly. “You of all people know how the Dark Lord wants his orders carried out.”

Snape had to think quickly. The problem was that he was bleeding and in pain. He also had to move as quickly as he needed to think. “I do. And the Dark Lord knows of the, ahem… special circumstances regarding this particular assignment.”

“Ah, yes, the Unbreakable Vow you made.” Darrien grinned at the surprised look in Snape’s eyes. He chuckled, “There are some of us the Dark Lord trusts above others.” The amusement on Darrien’s face vanished and a hard, malicious look replaced it. “I am here for the boy.”

“I am sorry but I cannot let you—Aaaaah!” Snape crumpled to the ground in agony. Darrien pointed his wand at the fallen professor. The Cruciatus Curse was excruciating and he gleefully looked on at Severus’ pain. When he felt like Severus would no longer be a hindrance he broke the spell. Then he set his eyes on the Malfoy boy.

Draco couldn’t believe his eyes. He held his wand out and took two cautious steps back. “Stay away from me.”

Darrien just grinned. “Do you know what I am? Pure blood wizard and vampire… a lethal combination no mere wand can stop.” He bared his teeth with an evil grin again and advanced toward Draco.

Thinking quickly, Draco remembered the spell Potter had used on him months ago. The scars were barely there anymore but he could still trace the lines when he saw himself in the mirror. “Sectumsempra!”

The vampire stopped and bent low. After an all too brief pause, he stood up and glared daggers at Draco as the blood ran from the gashes in his face and torso. Before Draco’s very eyes, Darrien’s wounds sealed themselves and the blood stopped flowing. Wiping his cheek with his hand, Darrien took a look at the drops of blood on his fingers. Licking them clean, he moved toward Draco again. “Tsk, tsk, little boy. That was a huge mistake.”

In a flash Darrien stood before Draco. “Yes, my powers are plentiful. Not only can I heal myself, I can move faster than you can think. Although the Dark Lord wants you alive, I don’t think he would mind if I replaced the blood you spilt.” Grabbing Draco by the neck and twisting his head to expose his jugular vein, Darrien used his other hand to hold Malfoy’s wrists in one firm grip to keep him from pushing away. As he leaned forward, his fangs broke through the tender flesh at Draco’s throat.

The taste of blood laced with fear and adrenaline was intoxicating. He knew the Dark Lord wanted this child alive but Darrien didn’t know if he could stop. His eyes rolled back in his head as he drank the warm delicious fluid.

Draco felt the initial pain as the teeth punctured his skin. Now he could feel himself floating away. Soon there would be no pain, no worries… nothing.

Snape took a deep breath. Each movement sent fresh waves of pain to his nerve endings. It felt as if fire were racing through his veins. Looking up he saw Darrien at Draco’s throat. Dragging himself the few inches he needed to reach his wand was agonizing but he took hold of his wand and yelled, “Lumos!”

The light was bright enough to distract Darrien as his eyes, unaccustomed to any light source brighter than the weakest candle, became blinded. He thrust Draco away from him as he attempted to shield his face. Draco fell to the ground, unconscious.

Seizing the moment, Snape staggered into a standing position. Having picked up a fallen branch he muttered a quick spell and transfigured the wood into a sharp stake. Taking advantage of Darrien’s temporary blindness he plunged the stake into the vampire’s heart.

The vampire screamed and threw his head back as he stumbled backwards, suddenly falling to the ground as he became a pile of dust. A slow breeze blew away the grotesque remains.

Sagging to his knees, Snape was out of breath. Spotting his student, Snape crawled over to him. Draco was still breathing and his pulse was faint. Using every last drop of strength he had, Snape picked Draco up and put an arm around his waist while taking Draco’s arm and slinging it around his own shoulder. Thankfully the house wasn’t far and he half dragged Draco to the door.
Chapter 2 - Once Bitten, Twice Shy by hiversgrrl
Author's Notes:
Thanks again to my beta Bewitcher_SR :)

Chapter 2 – Once Bitten, Twice Shy
What had previously been a quiet evening was interrupted by someone pounding at the door. Taking her wand, Aisling Weston held it in front of her and peered through the small window to see who her visitor was. To her surprise, it was Severus Snape.
“Open the door! I need help!” Snape raised his voice, he sounded weary and afraid.
Aisling unsealed the magical locks she had placed on the door and opened it, stepping back. She was surprised to see Snape half carrying someone as he passed the threshold.
“Quickly, he’s been bitten,” Snape said to the girl as he helped the still unconscious Draco onto the sofa. “Where’s your sister?”
“Shauna is at the coast. She’s been visiting a Muggle relative. She’s due to arrive tonight or tomorrow, depending on traveling conditions.” Aisling looked at the boy lying on the couch. He couldn’t be much older than she was. “Bitten by what?”
Snape swore softly. Shauna was the healer. Aisling, although a capable witch for her age, was only in training. “I need to be healed also. You will have to help me.”
Aisling glared at Snape. Her older sister, Shauna trusted him. And Dumbledore trusted him. That didn’t do much to sway Aisling, she still didn’t trust him. Once a Death Eater always a Death Eater. Weren’t Slytherins known for their cunning? Well, she’d heard anyway. She had never attended Hogwarts, having been privately tutored by her mother then sister. Sighing resolutely she asked again, “Bitten by what?” She couldn’t help if she didn’t know. Snape was here and he wasn’t leaving until he got assistance. She might as well get it over and done with.
“A vampire,” Snape said as he sank into an arm chair. The events of the last few hours would tax any man, and right now he just needed to catch his breath.
Aisling, who had been looking over the boy on the sofa stopped and took a huge step back. “A vampire? Did he- did he drink?” She lowered her voice at the last word. She looked at the boy again. He looked familiar. His white blonde hair hung down into his eyes and she restrained herself from gently sweeping it off his forehead. Where had she seen him before?
“No, he didn’t. And the vampire was destroyed.” Snape watched the girl. Not as efficient as her sister and not as pretty but she was attractive in her own way. Long brown wavy hair and hazel colored eyes. What would Lucius say if he knew that this half-blood was treating his son? Especially this particular one.
Aisling felt the boy’s forehead. His cheeks were flushed and his skin scorching to the touch. Turning his head gently, she looked at the bite. The two puncture wounds gaped at her and the flesh around them was an angry red. “Infection is setting in.” She had to work quickly. Even if she could help him, his pulse was very weak. He would be unconscious for days. “I know who he is,” she said as recognition slammed into her. “He’s the Malfoy boy.” She had seen him and his parents in Diagon Alley quite a few times. “My sister said he’s been trying to harm Dumbledore all year!”
Snape arched his brows at her. “How does she know what is going on at Hogwarts?” And why would she tell her younger sister? Snape thought.
Aisling sniffed haughtily, “My sister still speaks to Dumbledore. She is still his confidante.” Aisling’s mother, Miranda Weston, had been in the original Order of the Phoenix. She had been a very powerful witch until her death four years ago. As per Miranda’s request, Dumbledore looked over Shauna and Aisling, acting as a pseudo-godfather.
Silently, Aisling continued to tend to her patient. She unbuttoned his robes and tried to remove his arm from the sleeve. That was when she saw it. “The Dark Mark,” she said in a dry whisper. She dropped his arm as if it had scalded her. She whirled on Snape, turning her fury at him. “He’s a Death Eater and you brought him here!”
“He needed help,” Snape began to tell her.
“No! I will not have a Death Eater in my home! It’s bad enough you are here!” Aisling glared at Snape. She hated having to deal with this particular Death Eater. Now she was supposed to run a healing ward for them? “I’m contacting Dumbledore, this is too much! I don’t want any Death Eater, especially him,” she glared at Malfoy, “in my home!”
“You can’t,” Snape said softly.
“You bet I can! Even Dumbledore will understand why I don’t want a Malfoy in my house.” Aisling glared daggers at Snape.
Snape stood up. “You can’t contact Dumbledore because he…” Snape cleared his throat. “because Dumbledore is dead.”
That caused Aisling to pause. “He’s what? No, that can’t be. Dumbledore is the greatest wizard ever born. He can’t… you’re lying!” Aisling looked over at Draco. “It was him wasn’t it? But how? His pathetic attempts couldn’t have worked. Not against Dumbledore!”
“No, it wasn’t really him.” After all, Snape thought, Draco did allow the Death Eaters into the castle. He had some blame in this. “He didn’t do it.”
“Then who?” Aisling looked over at Snape, daring him to lie.
“Me,” Snape said simply.
Aisling stood up and took a step backward, bumping into a table and knocking over some knickknacks. “You?” Her voice was barely a whisper. Then it dawned on her. “The Unbreakable Vow.”
Snape was again surprised to learn just how much someone else knew about his affairs. “Yes, I had to. Dumbledore knew the time might come.” Snape collapsed back into the chair he had been sitting in. “I didn’t want to, but I had to.”
Aisling stood there, staring at him. Dumbledore was dead. She couldn’t believe it.
Then Snape said something he rarely did, “Please.” His voice was weak and low. “I still have much to do and I can’t explain everything right now.” He saw the hesitation in her eyes. “And if you expect me to keep your sister safe, you will help me.”
“My sister?” Aisling asked, skeptical.
Snape nodded. “Your sister. As you said, she’s not here now is she? Therefore, she does not have the protection, the securities that this house can offer.”
“But—”
“The Dark Lord and his followers know Draco and I were in the area. The Mark serves not only as a means to distinguish other followers, but also as a sort of homing beacon. Death Eaters will be here in full force soon, searching for us,” Snape said loudly, cutting in to her objections. ”The house may be Unplottable, but that will not stop them searching the vicinity. I don’t think you want Death Eaters to come across your sister as she is on her way home.”
Aisling paled. “No, I don’t!” she replied vehemently. She looked at Draco on the sofa. “Why did you have to bring him here?” She sounded plaintive and just a tad whiney.
Snape stayed silent for a moment, thinking about his next words. “Dumbledore knew the moment might come that I would have to act against him. We discussed this many times. Believe me or not, I did not want to hurt him.” Snape saw the look of blatant disbelief on Aisling’s face. “Dumbledore held out hope that when the time came he could convince Draco to join our side. If Draco could have been persuaded, Dumbledore wanted to bring him here.”
“Why here? My mother was in the Order years ago, but she’s dead. My sister and I have nothing to do with this,” Aisling told him.
“That is precisely the reason,” Snape informed her. “No Death Eater would look for Draco here; they wouldn’t think about the Weston sisters. The house is Unplottable so they wouldn’t even know it exists.”
“If Shauna were here she wouldn’t agree to letting him stay,” Aisling contended, “no matter what Dumbledore would have wanted.” Surely Shauna would see the folly in allowing this boy, this wanted Death Eater, to stay here, Aisling thought to herself.
“She already did.” Snape pulled a letter out of a pocket in his cloak. “This is a letter from your sister to Dumbledore, and in it she has agreed to hide Draco here when the time came.” He handed Aisling the parchment. “Surely you recognize your sister’s hand?” Dumbledore had given Snape the letter for just this purpose.
Aisling read the letter. According to this, her sister had indeed agreed to house Draco Malfoy. Why, Shauna, why? At that moment Draco moaned softly from the couch. Aisling looked at him, sighing resolutely. “Then I suppose I have no choice.” She turned to her herbs and potions. “Where would you take her,” Aisling spoke, ignoring Snape. She busied herself measuring ingredients to tend to her two new patients. She knew the Death Eaters wouldn’t find her home, after all her mother herself had been the one to place the Unplottable spell on the house. But Snape was right, her sister didn’t have the current protection being in the house would offer.
“Somewhere safe.” Severus spared her a glance. “I will make sure she gets home safely, when the time is right.”
Aisling bit her lip. “And him?” She jerked her head toward the prone Draco.
“He will have to stay here with you.” Snape was too tired for all of this right now. He had things to do if this girl would only help him. “Give me that,” he said as he stood and managed to walk over to her. “You tend to Draco, I’ll make my potions.” Aisling glared at him and he replied, “I still am a Potions Master.”
“You cannot think to leave me here with him, alone.” Aisling reluctantly walked over to Draco and began ministering to him. “He’s not only a Death Eater, but a Malfoy!” Even Snape knew what that signified.
“He won’t harm you.” Snape ignored the last part of her comment.
Aisling bit her lip. She had been raised to detest the Malfoys. She could laugh at the situation. Her, tending to the son of the man who possibly may have murdered her Muggle father. She could laugh, if it wasn’t so distressing. That was why she couldn’t understand her sister’s readiness to allow him into their home.
Roughly an hour later, Snape had finished his potion and Aisling had just finished tending to Draco by applying the plaster to his neck to cover his wounds. He had opened his eyes several times, their molten silver pools not really seeing anything, but sparkling with intense fever. The potion Aisling had made and given to him had lowered his fever and he was now sleeping soundly.
Aisling looked at Snape apprehensively, hoping he would take the deeply sleeping boy with him. “Severus—”
Snape laughed harshly. “You must really want me to take him if you’re calling me by my first name.” He shook his head. “Even you can see that I cannot take an unconscious person with me. I have much to do. I’ll come back for him as soon as I can.” Snape took a deep breath. “In the meantime, be careful.”
Aisling watched him walk over to the door. “Tell my sister to be careful.” She eyed Snape. He knew she didn’t trust him, not that Aisling cared.
Snape arched a brow and didn’t say a word. Aisling shut the door behind him and watched through the window while he walked into the middle of the lane, turned toward her, and Disapparated.
Turning back to her unconscious charge, Aisling gritted her teeth. Whatever amount of time he stays there will be too long, she thought. Merlin, what am I going to do? What can I do, other than help him? Waving her wand she levitated his body up the stairs and into a spare bedroom. After making sure Draco was resting comfortably, she took his wand with her. Only then did she feel safe for the first time since Snape had walked into the house.
Chapter 3 - Not So Nice To Meet You by hiversgrrl
Author's Notes:
Thanks to bewitcher_SR & greeneyes for their help!!!

Chapter 3 – Not So Nice to Meet You

Draco slowly opened his eyes and waited for them to adjust as the world around him came into focus. Once it did he looked around. He had no idea where he was. The last thing he remembered was a bright light, a scream, and then… blackness. Taking a deep breath, Draco tried to sit up but found he didn’t have much energy. Struggling, he managed to scoot himself up to a half-sitting position.

Looking around the room, he found some interesting things. Along with a Wizard’s Wireless, he also saw a black box made of some strange material with a glass pane in front of it. It had buttons on the side. There were two nightstands, and on the one to his right there was a copy of Magical Herbs and Fungi, an outdated edition of Witch Weekly, and a copy of a book that was titled The Queen of the Damned.

Closing his eyes, Draco tried to remember something, anything. How long had he been asleep? The sun was up, so he figured it was after noon sometime. Glancing at the nightstand to his left he saw another box, made of that same strange material, with big red glowing numbers on it. They read two-thirteen PM. A few seconds later it changed to two-fourteen PM. His eyes blinked. He’d never seen magic like this before. Draco picked up the box and found it was connected to a wall by a cord. He set it back down.

Visions of what had occurred while he was unconscious swam into his mind. Soft, hazel, almond shaped eyes, delicate and gentle touches, a kind voice whispering in his ear… and a few completely vile potions that had been shoved down his throat. Perhaps I should be happy about the potions, he thought, or else I might not have survived.

He wasn’t able to ponder much longer as the door, which had been open just a crack, was pushed wide open. Not seeing anyone there, Draco was about to call out when something small white and brown jumped on his chest.

“Woof!” A brown and white dog bounced on his chest.

“Oh, Merlin, get off me!” Draco tried to push the happy dog off his chest as it tried equally as hard to lick his face.

“Woof!” The dog barked happily.

“Move, you beast!” Draco said as he managed to knock the dog off the bed. “Ugh, damn it. I hate animals.” The dog ignored him as it began to happily chase his tail next to the bed.

“Winston!” A girl said as she walked in, holding a tray. “Bad dog! Come here!” She pointed to the ground near her feet and the dog made his way slowly, his tail tucked between his legs. Smiling down at her pet she shifted the tray she held in her hands to pet the dog with her free hand. “I know, you’re just excited.” She rubbed Winston under his chin and baby-talked to him. “Go on, go downstairs. That’s a good boy!” She smiled at the dog as he waddled off.

Draco watched the exchange between owner and dog. He’d never had a real pet and didn’t understand the ridiculous need to speak to them as if they were children. Those were two things he didn’t care much for: pets and children.

Aisling then turned her attention to Draco. She paused and looked at him. Anger, revulsion and frustration briefly swirled in her eyes before she managed to hide her emotions. “So you’re finally awake, eh?” She tried to convey nonchalance as she walked over toward the bed.

Draco watched as she set the tea tray on the nightstand next to him, the one opposite the books. “I am. Where am I?” he asked in a haughty tone, brows arched in demand of an answer. While he waited he looked her over. She had long brown curly hair and curves in other places as well. Not at all hard on the eyes.

“My home. No one will be able to find you here.” She didn’t look at him but spoke in brisk tones as she poured him some tea. He could see that she had brought toast and marmalade and also had a small goblet that seemed to be smoking. “Here,” she said as she handed him the goblet. “Drink this before you eat. It’s an Invigorating Solution. You’ll need it after your… ordeal.”

Draco looked at the cup she handed him. He peered inside at the steaming potion. How far could he trust this girl that obviously didn’t care for him very much? He surveyed her, his eyes arrogantly asking the questions in his mind.

Aisling let out a huffy breath. “Don’t worry, I haven’t been caring for you all this time just to poison you the second you wake. Believe me it would have been easier to dispose of you while you lay there helpless.” She eyed him with an arched brow, daring him to argue.

Returning her haughty look Draco drank the potion. It was sweet with just a hint of spice added in. He finished the last drop and smacked his lips loudly. As he handed the cup to her he suddenly felt strong. Draco sat up, ravenously hungry.

“You’re welcome, you know,” Aisling replied in a condescending manner.

Taking the tray she handed him he shrugged. Did he really care what she thought? “How long have I been asleep?” He took a sip of his tea then bit into his toast.

Aisling tried to ignore the few rippling chest muscles beneath his half unbuttoned nightshirt. Thankfully only the first few buttons had come undone. “What?”

“How long have I been asleep?” he repeated after he swallowed his tea.

“Three days,” Aisling replied

“My mother—”

“Is safe. I received notice from Snape hours after he left you here.” Aisling bit her lower lip. He hadn’t told her where he had taken Narcissa, just that she was somewhere no one could find her and he was safe in another place with her sister. “She also sent a trunk with some of your clothing. It arrived here with Snape’s notice.”

Draco visibly relaxed. He paused, thinking. “You said this was your home? Why did Snape bring me here?”

“Yes,” Aisling nodded as she answered his first question. “As for why he brought you here, I have no idea.” Unless it was to punish me for some wrong I did in a past life, she thought.

“Did he say where he was taking my mother?” Draco asked, wondering if she really was out of harm's way. He was worried about his mother. She always seemed so delicate. If it was his father he wouldn’t have given a damn. Draco was well rid of him and found he did not care about Lucius enough to be happy he was sitting in Azkaban.

Aisling shook her head. “No, he didn’t.”

Draco sighed impatiently. “Well, did he say when he would return for me? Or where he was going?” Is this girl being obtuse on purpose or does she have some mental problems I am not aware of?

He’s not returning soon enough, Aisling thought. “No, he didn’t. And I don’t know where he is. Even if I did know, do you think I would tell you?” She gave him a disdaining look. He was a Slytherin, a Malfoy, and a Death Eater. He was not to be trusted.

Draco squinted his eyes at her. Fevered visions of her returned. Well, not of her exactly, but her eyes. Those beautiful hazel eyes. “What did you say your name was again?”

“I didn’t,” she replied flippantly.

“Well then, what is your name?” Having finished eating he pushed his tray away and she placed it on the bed table.

“Aisling Weston.”

Draco looked surprised. Weston? Surely not, she’s too young, he thought. “Miranda Weston’s daughter?” He looked her over once more as she nodded. “I thought you would be older.”

“I have an older sister, Shauna.” She really didn’t want to talk about her family to him. She was proud of her parentage, but he was a Pureblood fanatic.

“Your mother was a very powerful witch.”

“Her powers rivaled Morgana herself,” Aisling said proudly.

“Too bad she married a Muggle,” Draco replied with a sneer.

Faster than he could say ‘Quidditch,’ Aisling had her wand pointed at his throat. “I don’t want you,” she emphasized the word by pressing her wand tip into his throat, “speaking about my father. You know nothing about him.”

Quickly hiding the surprise that had turned his grey eyes the color of hardened steel, Draco let out a slow breath. “I know he was the only Muggle to ever work at the Ministry of Magic. He worked in the Muggle Relations Department and he was a Pro-Muggle Activist.” Now it was her turn to hide the astonishment in her eyes. “And he died before you were born.” Draco’s hand itched for his wand, but he refused to take his eyes off hers and he had no idea if it was even in the room with him.

“Well, well, well, aren’t we full of surprises?” Aisling replied coldly, not moving her wand an inch.

“It was a huge bone of contention for my father, I’ve heard about it at the dinner table for years,” Draco said nonchalantly. ‘A Muggle who worked at the Ministry of Magic? Preposterous! A stain in the Ministry’s proud history,’ Lucius had declared whenever the subject came up.

“But not over the past year, surely, with your father safely tucked away in Azkaban?” She grinned slyly at him.

Draco may hate his father, but Lucius was still a Malfoy, and no one spoke ill of the Malfoys. “Don’t speak of my father like that, you filthy Half-Bl—”

“Ah, ah, ah,” Aisling said, tapping him beneath the chin with her wand after each syllable. “Normally I don’t mind the insults, only the truly ignorant use them, but since you’re in my home and dependent on my goodwill, I would watch what I say, if I were you.”

“Dependent on your goodwill for what?” Draco snarled at her.

Aisling flicked her wand at the sleeve on his left arm and had it back at his throat before he could blink. “You see that? Of course you do.” She had managed to slash open his sleeve, revealing the Dark Mark. “I’ll bet it burns,” she added as Draco covered it up with his right hand. “Your pals are looking for you, or had you forgotten? They won’t be able to find you here. And you stay here, as long as I let you.” She smirked at the look in his eyes, defiant and defeated at the same time. Truly a Malfoy, wasn’t he?

He decided to change the subject. “Where is my wand?” His tone, though, still conveyed a sense of pride and entitlement.

Lowering her wand, she replied, “Safely tucked away. Even I am not so stupid as to allow a Death Eater in my home brandishing his wand.” Waving her wand at the used tray, it hovered before her and she turned toward the door to leave. “I won’t give it to you, so don’t bother asking.” She opened the door and looked back at him. “You’re free to get out of bed any time now. You will be expected to help around here as needed. I am not your maid, so take care to clean up after yourself.” Then, taking the tray in her hand, she stared at him and waved her wand quickly at him before disappearing behind the closed door.

Draco hastily tried to shield himself from her spell by covering his head with his arms. When she had closed the door he wondered what the hell she had waved her wand in his direction for. Looking down, he noticed his sleeve. She had repaired the tear.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=66318