Changing the Past by PEMDAS
Summary: Harry would give anything to have his parents back...what if he got the chance to? Harry, Ron and Hermione get mysteriously sent back in time to when the Marauders were in school, and Harry attempts to alter history. Can he get his parents back? Or will he only end up messing up the future forever? (Note: Rating and Warnings will change in later chapters, while the first few chapters are very mild.)
Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Sexual Situations, Substance Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 50437 Read: 112024 Published: 04/24/07 Updated: 11/13/07

1. Memories of Old by PEMDAS

2. 1976 by PEMDAS

3. Potter meets Potter by PEMDAS

4. Recounting the Future by PEMDAS

5. In Transfiguration by PEMDAS

6. Formulating a Plan by PEMDAS

7. Detention and Deciphering by PEMDAS

8. Slip-Ups and Confusions by PEMDAS

9. Confrontations by PEMDAS

10. Holding Back by PEMDAS

11. Morning of Mourning by PEMDAS

12. Ratted Out by PEMDAS

13. Requests by PEMDAS

14. Zero to Hero by PEMDAS

15. The New/Old Hogsmeade by PEMDAS

16. Millicent Bagnold by PEMDAS

17. The New Guard by PEMDAS

18. Long-Range Combat by PEMDAS

19. Reconciliation by PEMDAS

20. A New Life by PEMDAS

21. Intoxication by PEMDAS

22. The Next Morning by PEMDAS

23. Back to the Future by PEMDAS

Memories of Old by PEMDAS
”Step aside, foolish girl...”



“No! Please, don’t take Harry! Don’t hurt him!”



“I said, step aside...do not force me to kill you...”



“Kill me! Just don’t hurt Harry!”



“AVADA KEDAVRA!”




“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”



Harry awoke in a sweat from the nightmare, breathing heavily. It was the same nightmare that had been haunting him for almost sixteen years, since his parents’ death. He looked around wildly, taking in his surroundings. He sighed in relief, remembering...he was at the Burrow, sleeping in Fred and George’s room. He vaguely remembered Apparating there with a few Order members late last night, but he had been too tired to think straight.



Harry sat up, reaching for his glasses on his bedside table. Once on, he got up and rummaged through his trunk, looking for the tattered old scrapbook he kept with him everywhere he went. He found it and took it out, opening it to the first page. He took comfort in seeing his mother and father’s smiling faces, free of the pain and sadness he knew would overcome them later. As he stared sadly at them, the door slammed open and Hermione barged in, wand drawn. Harry watched, half-surprised, half-amused.



“Harry! Are you okay? I heard screaming...” Hermione said, slowly realizing there was no danger and sheepishly putting her wand away.



“Hello to you too,” Harry said, grinning and hugging his best friend. Hermione drew away, still concerned.



“I heard you screaming,” she said quietly. “What happened?”



“Just a bad dream,” Harry said, shrugging it off. “Nothing to worry about.”



“Oh, Harry,” she said, “every time you have a nightmare, it seems to foreshadow something later on. What did you see?”



Harry sighed. “It was a memory of my parents’ dying,” he said wearily. “So unless they come back to life and reenact that night, I doubt it foreshadowed anything. I’ve been having the same dream for years. They seem to be more frequent now.”



Just then, Ron walked in sleepily.



“Whuzgoinon?” he said, stretching and yawning. I heard a scream, then someone talking...” His eyes widened when he saw Harry standing there. “HARRY!” he yelled, running up and hugging him, also. “When did you get here?”



“Last night,” Harry said. “I was so tired last night, I couldn’t have woken you guys up even if I’d wanted to...what time is it, anyway?”



“Well, the sun’s just coming out,” Hermione commented as she looked out the window. “We might as well go downstairs for breakfast. Ron, your mom’s bound to be up by now.”



Sure enough, Molly was downstairs, cooking eggs magically in a pan. “Harry, dear!” she exclaimed. “We weren’t expecting you ‘till morning...when did you arrive?”



“Last night,” Harry said. “A couple people picked me up right at midnight, when the charm wore off.”



“Oh, I forgot!” Ron exclaimed. “It’s your birthday, Harry! You’re of age today!”



“Yeah,” Harry said. “I don’t feel any different. And if my birthday goes any differently than your 17th, Ron, I’ll feel just fine.”



Ron grimaced when he remembered his own coming-of-age, which involved a bezoar and an extended visit to the Hospital Wing.



“No matter,” Molly said. “We’ll be sure to celebrate your birthday today, Harry. But not too late. You all need to rest up for the wedding tomorrow.”



“Oh!” Hermione exclaimed quietly. Harry, too, had forgotten about Bill and Fleur’s wedding.



“So, who’s hungry?” Molly said, serving the eggs onto 3 plates.



After a wonderful breakfast of the eggs, bacon and buttered toast, the trio ran upstairs to talk in Fred and George’s room. After Ron had been filled in as to what Harry’s nightmare had been about earlier, they began talking about Harry’s parents.



“I’m sure they must have been wonderful people,” Hermione said sympathetically. “I’ll bet they’d have been a pleasure to meet.”



“At least after they left school,” Harry muttered under his breath. Unfortunately, Ron heard him.



“What do you mean?” Ron said quizzically. “Slughorn said your mum was best in her class, and...”



“My dad was a jerk,” Harry said bitterly.



“How can you say that, Harry?” Hermione said, appalled. “Lupin told us a while ago that your dad saved Snape from being killed on full moon, even though they were enemies. That takes bravery!”



“Yeah, one good deed among tons of bad ones,” Harry said. He then proceeded to tell Ron and Hermione about his father’s childhood antics, and how he had treated Snape and showed off constantly for Lily.



“Sometimes I feel ashamed to be related to him,” Harry concluded. “When people tell me I look like James, it makes me feel all queasy to think I’m similar to him.”



“Come off it, Harry,” Ron said. “So he was a bit of a showoff as a kid. Who hasn’t been a little mean, or showed off a little in their life? He grew out of it eventually.”



“And you’re not exactly the perfect angel either, Harry,” Hermione said, smirking. I remember a certain Ms. Chang that could relate to that.”



“And you’re not exactly bosom buddies with Malfoy, either,” Ron added.



“The point is, Harry,” Hermione said, “your father was a good person overall. No one’s perfect.”



“I know,” Harry said. “It’s just that...sometimes I wish I could go back in time. I would tell my dad to just shut up and let Lily start liking him on her own. And then...I would try to stop Sirius and my parents from dying later on. If only I could change that. Everything would be perfect.”



As if on cue, the walls of the Burrow began to shake. “What’s happening?” Ron said loudly. Hermione whimpered and held onto Ron, which quieted him for the time being. Harry instinctively grabbed for his wand, also keeping his hands on the scrapbook of his parents. Ron and Hermione also grabbed for their wands. Suddenly, a bright flash of light blinded them all, and Harry, finding himself falling, aimed for the general direction of the bed to cushion his fall. To his surprise, he kept falling past where the bed would be and landed on concrete.



Then everything went still.



Harry sat up slowly, adjusting to the light again. It was evening, and the Burrow was nowhere in sight. “What happened?” Harry said, rubbing his sore head. They were in the middle of a paved road, with no one in sight. Harry turned and saw Ron and Hermione also sit up, looking around confusedly.



“Where are we?” Ron said.



“Beats me,” Harry said.



Suddenly, Hermione gasped. The boys looked at her. She was pointing a trembling finger towards something in the distance. Harry and Ron followed her finger and saw the great Hogwarts castle before them.



"Bloody h..." Ron breathed, unable to finish.



"D'you think we Apparated by accident?" Harry thought aloud.



"No. Look," Hermione said suddenly. She was pointing at a poster in a nearby window. They realized they were in Hogsmeade. But that wasn't what she was pointing at. It was an ad that read: "Merchandise available until November 5, 1976".
1976 by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
What will Harry, Ron and Hermione do when they discover they're traveled back in time? Find out...
***



Harry, Ron and Hermione stared, unbelieving, at the poster in the window. “1976?” Ron stammered. “But isn’t it supposed to be 1997?”



Hermione was quivering. “I don’t know how,” she said, “but Harry’s words must have taken us back in time.”



“What? That’s impossible,” Harry said. He tried to sound brave, but he was quaking with fear in reality. They had no belongings on them except for their clothes, and their wands, which would have been suicide without. They had no idea what might happen to them.



“Wha-what should we do now?” Ron questioned aloud, hoping Harry or Hermione knew more than he did.



“The only thing I can think to do is go up to Hogwarts,” Hermione said uncertainly. We can’t be sure that school is in session; we don’t know what time of the year it is...”



“Well, it was morning at the Burrow when we left,” Harry said, “but now it’s evening. The time change could’ve altered the day, as well. We can’t be sure.”



“Let’s go up to the castle anyway, then,” Hermione said. “Even if it is still summer, there’s bound to be at least one staff member up there.”



So with that, they all got up and began walking up to the castle. Harry noted that the leaves on the trees were fading to yellow and red, and he told Hermione this. “Good, then it’s not summer,” Hermione said, not stopping. “By the looks of things, it’s probably late September or early October here.”



“Wicked!” Ron suddenly exclaimed, pointing. Harry followed his finger and his eyebrows raised. The Weeping Willow was no longer the towering mass of wood it had been before they left; it was currently barely as tall as Harry was. “Well, we don’t have to worry about that yet,” Harry said. “I wonder if Lupin...”



Suddenly, realization dawned on Harry. “Lupin!” he said again. “The Marauders! They’re all at the school still!”



“You’re right,” Hermione said.



“That means...” Harry stopped to think for a moment. “Maybe we got sent back in time because of what I said earlier. About wanting to change the past. Maybe we got sent here so I could save my parents’ lives...and Sirius’ and Dumbledore’s, too!”



Hermione wheeled around to face him. She was not as thrilled as he was about the prospect. “Harry, listen to me,” she said sternly. “Time travel is a very dangerous business. A small mistake could drastically change the future. Harry, please don’t try to mess things up.”



“No, Hermione, you listen to me,” Harry said. “Think about this for a sec. If I could change the future, things would be a lot better. I wouldn’t have to live with my aunt and uncle anymore. My parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore would still be alive. And...”



“Sure, there are positive things about that, Harry,” Hermione said. “But what about us? If you grew up with your parents, you wouldn’t have that scar. Voldemort would be after someone else...like Neville. I don’t think I could imagine you would be that selfish.”



Harry hadn’t thought of that. Voldemort wouldn’t be after him, but he’d be dumping the responsibility on someone else.



“I’ll think about it, Hermione. But the opportunity is too great to resist,” Harry said. They continued walking, Hermione eyeing Harry carefully. Ron, on the other hand, was wrapped up in looking around the grounds.



“Hey, look,” he said. “That old oak over there was cut down during our time...and that mark on the side of the North Tower from Buckbeak is gone...and, oh, the doors are painted differently.”



“Good observation, Ron,” Hermione said sarcastically as they reached the front doors. Luckily they weren’t locked, and they walked right into the entrance hall. Things looked identical to when they were in school in the future, minus a few paintings and a suit of armor.



“I think they’re eating dinner right now,” Hermione commented, hearing loud chatter from the Great Hall.”



“Let’s go, then,” Harry said, walking straight up to the door to the Great Hall.



“Harry, are you nuts?!” Hermione said.



“If someone sees us before we talk to Dumbledore...” Ron started, but Harry had already walked right into the hall.



No one noticed him at first in the crowded hall, but as he walked up to the head table, several people began to point and whisper. Harry realized he had an uncanny resemblance to James, so he steered clear of the Gryffindor table for now. “Nice glasses, Potter,” a Slytherin sneered. Harry realized, as he turned to retaliate, that it was none other than Severus Snape. Not wanting to give away that he wasn’t James immediately, Harry replied, “Nice hair, Snivellus.” It sickened him to say it, but Harry wasn’t ready to give himself away until someone realized he wasn’t James...like James himself.



Harry reached the head table, but first looked at the Gryffindor table to search for his parents and the Marauders. His stomach lurched when he saw Lily Evans...now he realized why everyone was falling all over her. She was one of the most beautiful witches he’d ever seen. No, Harry forced himself to think, that’s your mum. Don’t get any ideas.



He then searched the table for the Marauders. He didn’t see them, and a disappointment washed over him...did something happen to them? But then he figured they were probably either exploring the castle or in detention. So he turned to face Dumbledore. The elder wizard, although 20 years younger, looked almost exactly the same as when Harry had last seen him before his death, but slightly less elderly features, such as wrinkles.



“Professor Dumbledore, sir,” Harry said, “may I speak with you for a moment?”



“Is something the matter, Mr. Potter?” Dumbledore said, glancing down at him for a closer look. “Oh, wait...you’re not Mr. Potter, are you? Pardon me, young sir, but you seem to look a lot like another student here.”



“I’ll bet,” Harry said. “But, yes, I am Mr. Potter, but not James.”



Dumbledore looked confused. “Perhaps we should talk, Mr. ...Potter...” he said, still a bit confused. Harry and Dumbledore walked through a side door to talk in the hall.



“Professor,” Harry said, “my name is Harry Potter.”



“Hello, Harry Potter,” Dumbledore said. “I have a feeling you’re not from this time period, are you?”



Harry’s stomach lurched. “How do you know that?”



“Well, you’re appearance is almost exactly like another student here, like I mentioned earlier,” Dumbledore said, “and you also share the same last name. I assume you’re either his father from the past, or his son from the future.”



“Uh...yeah, I’m James’ son,” Harry said. He explained that Ron and Hermione were also here, and Dumbledore immediately stopped him.



“Harry, you must get them out of the hall immediately,” Dumbledore said. “We mustn’t let them talk to anyone.”



Harry rushed back into the hall and, to his relief, Ron and Hermione were standing in front of the Head Table, as everyone stared at them. Harry fervently motioned for them to follow him back into the hallway. They obliged, and both gasped when they saw Dumbledore.



“Professor Dumbledore?” Ron said, and Dumbledore nodded. “Wicked! You look exactly the same!”



“Thank you, young sir,” Dumbledore said.



“Oh,” Ron said, extending his hand. “Ron Weasley.”



“Weasley, you say?” Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eye. “I seem to recall a Mr. Arthur Weasley that passed through this school, not five years ago,” Dumbledore said. Ron looked disappointed at the news, as he wouldn’t be meeting his mother or father. “I remember he had a passion for Muggle Studies, that one,” Dumbledore continued, which drew giggles from Hermione.



“I’m sorry, miss,” Dumbledore said, “but I didn’t catch your name."



“Oh, Hermione, sir. Hermione Granger,” Hermione said.



“Granger...” Dumbledore said, racking his brain. “I don’t recall any ‘Granger’ passing through Hogwarts.”



“That’s because I’m Muggle-Born, sir,” Hermione said.



“Ah, that would explain it, then,” Dumbledore said. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”



Dumbledore turned to Harry. “Now, Harry Potter,” Dumbledore said, “I would love to keep talking to you now, but I must return to the meal now and dismiss the students. However, I must advise you not to talk to anyone you know, so as not to change the future drastically,” Dumbledore said.



“But sir,” Harry said before Hermione could comment, “I came here with the intention of changing the past.”



Dumbledore stared at him blankly. “I won’t deny you that chance immediately, Harry,” Dumbledore said carefully, and Harry’s heart leapt. “But changing the future is a tricky, tricky business, and I wish to hear the whole story of your past...ahem, your past in the future...before deciding. My instincts tell me you shouldn’t discuss with anyone, except amongst yourselves, the events of the future.”



“Agreed,” they all said.



“Now,” Dumbledore said, “what House were all three of you Sorted into in your time?”



“Gryffindor,” they all replied.



Dumbledore smiled. “I thought you might, Mr. Weasley,” he said, “as there hasn’t been a Weasley at Hogwarts that wasn’t a Gryffindor...and Mr. Potter, as your father is there now. You’re all sixth-years, correct?”



“Yes.”



“Then you know where you’re going,” Dumbledore said. “Harry, Ron, you’ll be sharing a dormitory with-”



“James, Peter, Sirius, and Remus,” Harry said automatically. “I know.”



Dumbledore looked at him in surprise. “Correct,” he said. “Miss Granger, you will be with the sixth year girls, who are Lily Evans” (Harry coughed) “...Veronica Miles, Haley Smith, and Jordan Cameron.”



“Thank you, Professor,” Hermione said.



“As for your schedules...” Dumbledore said. “Mr. Potter, I believe you and Mr. Weasley can stay with Mr. Potter...James, that is...and Miss Granger can stay with...”



“Lily Evans,” Hermione said instinctively.



“You know her, then?” Dumbledore inquired.



“I do, Professor, actually,” Harry said. “She’s my...”



Ron elbowed him hard.



“Perhaps you had better not share any further information with me at this time,” Dumbledore said. “That will come in due time. As for now, you may all join the Gryffindor table.” All four of them walked back into the Great Hall.



By now, word had spread that three sixth-years that no one had seen before had managed to keep Dumbledore’s attention for ten minutes. They naturally all began staring and whispering as they all reemerged from the hallway. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked over to the Gryffindor table. Harry instinctively began walking towards his mother, but Hermione grabbed his sleeve and steered him to an abandoned end of the table, where they all grabbed a few morsels to chew on. After about five minutes of ignoring stares and whispers, Dumbledore finally dismissed the students to their common rooms. Harry, Ron and Hermione immediately got up and joined the crowd that was pushing their way out of the Great Hall.



When they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, they realized they didn’t know the password. “What’s the password?” Ron hissed at Hermione.



“How should I know?” Hermione said.



“You’re the smart one!”



“Um, excuse me?” The voice caused all three of them to jump. They turned around and who should be behind them but Lily Evans. “Are you new here?” Lily asked.



“Yes,” Hermione said. “We don’t know the password.”



“Oh, it’s gratis specialis,” Lily said, and the Fat Lady opened immediately. Before they all walked into the common room, Lily caught sight of Harry. Her eyes widened in surprise.



“Oh my...sorry, it’s just that you look so much like someone I know,” Lily said to Harry.



“James?” Harry said. Hermione secretly kicked him. Lily didn’t notice.



“How’d you know?” she asked.



“Oh, uh...” Harry racked his brain for an excuse. “I, uh, heard people talking about how much we looked alike.” That was actually true for the most part.



“I see...” Lily said, a bit skeptical. Harry found himself staring into her mesmerizing green eyes. Stop it, he reprimanded himself. She’s your mother. Don’t look at her like she’s an alien. “Is everything all right?” she asked, seeing him shake his head.



“Oh...yeah...” Harry said. “I’m just tired. You know, long day of traveling from our other school.”



Ron opened his mouth to question this, but Hermione kicked him, also. “Yeah,” Hermione said. “We transferred over from the American wizarding school, Adstruffy Academy.”



“Why do you have British accents if you’re from America?” Lily asked. She was beginning to get confused.



“We were born and raised in England,” Ron blurted out, thinking fast. “We moved to America before we started school.”



“’We’?” Lily asked. “All at the same time?”



Before any of them could think of more excuses, a voice from behind all of them said, “Hey Evans, what’s happening?”



Harry turned around sharply and found himself face-to-face with his father, James Potter.
Potter meets Potter by PEMDAS
“Oy!” James exclaimed when he saw Harry’s face. “Did someone slip you a Polyjuice Potion during the meal? You look just like me!”



“Oh...yeah,” Harry said. He would’ve come up with an excuse at that moment, but he was too busy staring at a near mirror image of himself. James was almost exactly his height, looked of about the same body build, and the only real two differences between them were that Harry wore glasses, and his eyes were green.



“What’s your name?” James inquired, still examining Harry’s face intently.



“Yeah, what is your name?” Lily spoke up. “What are all of your names, actually?”



“I-I’m Ron,” Ron said, still in awe of Harry’s teenaged parents. “Ron Weas...”



As he started to say his last name, Hermione quickly hit him with a Silencing spell. Ron, soon discovering he couldn’t talk, simply shrugged.



“Well, hello, Ron Wheeze,” Lily said slowly, shaking his hand. “Very interesting last name."



“I’m Hermione Granger,” Hermione said, turning to Harry and giving him a meaningful look. “Why don’t you introduce yourself now?”



“I’m Harry,” Harry told James and Lily, then turned to look at Hermione as he said his last name. “Harry Potter.”



Everyone stared at Harry in shock. James looked very amused, Lily looked confused, and Ron and Hermione gave Harry anguished looks.



“Potter?” James said. “Harry Potter? How odd. You look just like me, and we share last names. Plus, Harry’s my middle name...what’s yours?”



Before Harry could reply, Hermione pinched him rather hard, and Harry winced. James and Lily took this to be a reaction to the mention of his middle name. “Oh, I get it,” Lily said. “You’re probably embarrassed about your middle name. Let’s not press the matter, James.”



For a second, Harry thought she’d known his middle name, but realized she’d been talking to his father. “Actually,” Harry said, “my middle name isn’t that embarrassing. It’s...”



“Harry,” Hermione said through gritted teeth, “can we talk? Alone?”



“Certainly, Hermione,” Harry said nonchalantly. With that, Hermione grabbed Harry by the sleeve into the common room. Ron, still under Hermione’s Silencing charm, waved fervently goodbye to James and Lily before rushing after them.



Harry, are you mental?!” Hermione said furiously. “If they find out you’re their son, it could change history!”



“That’s the point, Hermione,” Harry said exasperatedly to Hermione. “That’s what I’m trying to do. What have I got left back home...er, forward home?” His voice began dripping with sarcasm. “Oh, wait...you’re right, Hermione...I have a Dark wizard after me, my parents, mentor and godfather are all dead, and my aunt and uncle loathe me with a passion! I wouldn’t want to change a thing about the future!”



Hermione watched him carefully for a second, then slapped him hard across the cheek. Harry’s eyes watered with the blow, mostly from surprise.



“Don’t you dare talk to me like that!” Hermione said. “I’m your friend, Harry. You remember that. I’m looking out for your best interests right now.” With that, Hermione stalked away for the girls’ dormitories.



Harry turned to Ron, whose eyes were wide with surprise. “What have I done wrong?” he asked. Ron started to reply, but realized he still couldn’t talk. With a sigh, Harry muttered the counter-curse, and Ron could speak again.



“Well, you’re sorta being selfish right now, Harry,” Ron said sadly. “Don’t you see that all those changes are looking out for yourself? If your parents were still alive, do you think we would’ve still met? Or that all the problems in the world would be solved?”



Harry only looked at him, confused.



“Harry, as your friend, I won’t force you to not do something. But I still think you should talk to Dumbledore before trying to change anything more.”



Harry lowered his eyes. “All right. And thanks, Ron. You sure have matured faster than me.”



Ron had to laugh. “Are we talking about the same Ron Weasley? I would dream to be like you, remember?”



Harry half-smiled. “Well, I suppose we should go upstairs and change for bed...” Suddenly, he remembered something. “We don’t have any of our stuff!” he exclaimed.



Ron also realized this. “What do we do now?” he moaned.



“I dunno,” Harry said. For some odd reason, although they had been awake for a total of four hours, he was feeling very tired. It must’ve been something to do with the sudden time change. “This isn't good; it’s Monday tomorrow, so we’ll have to figure something out in the morning.” With that, they both trudged up to their dorms. They only stopped to kick their shoes off at the foot of their new four-posters before falling asleep soundly. And for the first time in weeks, Harry slept without a single nightmare.



***



When Harry awoke, Ron was shaking him fervently. “Harry!” Ron exclaimed. “Harry, wake up!”



“What?” Harry moaned groggily. “What time is it?”



“Why don’t you check your watch and find out?” Ron said, grinning madly.



Harry’s eyes opened wide at this. His watch had been with the rest of his stuff when they disappeared the day before. When he sat up, his feet bumped against his trunk, causing him to wince in pain and smile at the same time. “Where’d this come from?” Harry said, half to himself and half to Ron. He rummaged quickly through his trunk and found that everything looked to be still there “ including his scrapbook.



“Beats me,” Ron said. “It just appeared their overnight, I guess. Lucky us.



“Wait,” Harry said suddenly. “My Invisibility Cloak is gone.”



“Hmm...” Ron said. “That’s odd. Is anything else missing?”



“Nope,” Harry said. “It looks like everyth-”



Suddenly, Hermione barged into the room, carrying an armful of her belongings. “You got your stuff back, too?” she exclaimed. “This is incredible!”



“Not as incredible as going back in time without a time-turner,” Ron said, half to himself.



“Well, most of my stuff is here, anyway,” Harry said. “My Invisibility Cloak is gone.”



Hermione pondered this information for a moment, then grinned. She walked over to James’ four-poster (who, along with the other three Marauders, had gone to breakfast) and rummaged through his trunk. “’Mione, what do you think you’re doing?!” Ron exclaimed. “What are you thinking?”



But he gaped as Hermione pulled out the cloak from the locker. “You seem to forget that this originally belonged to James, Harry,” Hermione said. “You can’t both have it at the same time.”



“That’s weird,” Harry said, taking the cloak for her. “Look...it even has the little stain in the corner, like mine...”



“It is yours, Harry,” Hermione, “only 20 years earlier than yours. Oh, and by the way, do you have your scrapbook?”



“Yeah, it’s right here,” Harry said. He picked it up and opened it, and immediately gasped: all the pictures were gone.



“I thought so,” Hermione said when she saw this. “Harry, don’t worry. The pictures disappeared because they haven’t taken place yet. As they all occur, they’ll reappear in your scrapbook.”



“You seem to know a lot about this, Hermione,” Ron quipped.



Hermione glanced at him. “If you’ll remember, Ron, I spent a whole school term using a time-turner. I’m quite aware of the laws of time travel.”



“Forget it,” mumbled Ron.



“Oh, and Harry,” Hermione said, with a meaningful look in her eye, “those pictures will only reappear if they happen exactly the way they did in the first place.”



Harry snorted. “Hermione, how many times do I have to tell you?” Harry said. “I want to change the past. I want everything to be different. If everything changes, I’ll have a whole mansion full of pictures of my mum and dad! I don’t need a stupid scrapbook compared to having my parents in the flesh.”



Hermione closed her eyes in frustration. “Believe me, Harry, you have no idea what you’re getting yourself into,” she said through gritted teeth.



“Neither do you,” Harry retorted. “The only way to find out is by doing it.”



“Touché,” Ron remarked. Hermione glared at him.



“Look, Harry, just promise me you won’t do anything stupid before you talk to Dumbledore today,” Hermione sighed.



“Hermione, look, I don’t need you...”



Promise me!”



“All right, fine,” Harry said irritably. “I promise.”



Hermione studied his face for a few seconds, and then, satisfied, walked out of the boys’ dormitory.



“Well,” Ron said, “I guess we should go down for breakfast.”



“Yeah,” Harry said absentmindedly.



“Hey, Harry,” Ron said, walking in front of him so he looked at him, “Hermione only said not to try and change things, right? Why not try to get to know your parents more? I mean, that wouldn’t hurt, right?”



Harry thought about that. “No, I suppose not,” he said. With that, he and Ron walked out of the dormitory and down to the Great Hall.



When they walked into the hall, everyone was already eating and talking animatedly. Normally, back in his time, Harry’s entrance into the hall meant slightly more hushed tones, as most people talked about him those days. Now, however, people only ignored him. He had apparently gone from “the Chosen One” to “that nerdy transfer student from America”. And frankly, Harry preferred it that way. He was getting sick of the attention.



“Oy! Harry!” came a voice from the Gryffindor table. “Over here!” Harry looked toward the voice, and found it to be James.



“Coming, Dad,” Harry said without thinking. Ron kicked him in the shins, and Harry almost tripped. He walked over to greet James, and Ron walked over to join Hermione, who had sat down next to Lily.



“Did you just call me ‘Dad’?” James said, smirking, as Harry approached.



“Uh...yeah,” Harry said, thinking fast. “Uh...there was a kid at my old school that everyone called Dad for some reason, and...I just forgot I wasn’t there anymore.”



It was a lame excuse, but James appeared to buy it. A voice piped up from James’ left side. “So, Prongs, this is the long-lost twin you were telling us about. Harry turned to see a sixteen-year-old Sirius Black looking at him curiously. Harry’s stomach lurched. Although Sirius had been a raggedy man in Harry’s time, he now found himself looking at a handsome teen. His long hair looked naturally built for his face, which was clean-shaven except for a few hairs on his chin.



Harry also saw Remus, sitting quietly across from James and Sirius. He had a textbook propped open, but he was now also examining Harry. Harry, who had just recently seen Remus before traveling through time, also saw the differences in appearance, as this Remus was a very clean cut person. He combed his hair to one side so no one hair was out of place, and his robe was iron-pressed and clean of any marks or stains, despite the food he was now around.



Then Harry saw Peter. His stomach lurched with anger as he stared into the innocent eyes of the man “ or, teenager “ that betrayed his parents. Peter was a short, mousy boy that reminded Harry a lot of Colin Creevey. He also seemed very childish to Harry, although working for Voldemort had obviously hardened him into a man later on. Harry had the sudden urge to lurch across the table and strangle Peter, but he held back, knowing that wouldn’t be smart in front of everyone.



“Hey, you gonna say something?” James said when he saw Harry examining everyone. “Oh, sorry, I forgot to introduce you. Harry, this is Sirius, Remus, and Peter.”



Harry almost said, “Yeah, I know,” but he bit his tongue. He had promised Hermione not to give anything away yet. “Nice to meet you,” he said instead.



Just then, Sirius spotted Harry’s scar. “Whoa, check it out, Prongs!” he said. “Look at that scar!”



James spotted the scar, also. “That’s wicked!” James said, grinning. “Where’d you get it?”



Harry tried to think fast. “Car accident,” he said, thinking of the story the Dursleys had made up for him years ago. “It killed my parents,” he said, thinking, what the heck?



“Sorry then, mate,” James said, putting a hand on his shoulder.



“I lost my parents too,” Sirius commented. His face suddenly grew grave and dark. “I’m almost not sorry about it, too,” he growled.



“Don’t scare him, Padfoot,” Remus said from across the table. “He might get ideas that you’re a mass murderer or something.”



Harry remembered the events of his third year and had to stifle a laugh at that remark.



Just before Harry could sit down to talk further with the Marauders, Dumbledore strode briskly up the aisle towards them. “Harry? Would you join me, please, in my office?”



“Sure,” Professor, Harry said. “I know where it is.” Dumbledore nodded and walked away.



“How do you know where the headmaster’s office is?” James asked. “You’ve hardly been here for twelve hours!”



“Oh,” Harry said. “I visited the school once before I transferred,” he thought up. He was getting better at making up lies.



“Right,” Sirius said, smirking. “He probably got in trouble or something last night.”



“Oh, leave him alone, Paddie,” James said. “Harry hasn’t gotten accustomed to our making fun yet, have you?”



“Uh...” Harry said, not sure how to respond. “Well, I’d better go with Dumbledore,” he said. “Catch you later.”



“Will I see you in Transfiguration later?” James called after Harry as he began walking away. “There’s someone I want you to meet.”



“Sure,” Harry said. With that, he turned after Dumbledore, sighing with relief. So far, so good.
Recounting the Future by PEMDAS
Harry walked briskly down the corridors towards Dumbledore’s office. He passed it three times before realizing this; the gargoyle that guarded the entrance was no longer there. Instead, a large bust of Merlin stood in its place. Harry could see why Dumbledore had replaced it later; it was very worn and chipped everywhere. Harry suddenly realized that he didn’t know the password.

“Er...” he said, thinking. What would Dumbledore set as the password that only I would know? He realized: his name. “Harry Potter?” he said tentatively. The bust of Merlin came to life, moving aside for Harry to ascend the staircase to Dumbledore’s office.

When Harry reached the door, he reached out to knock, but it swung open before he could do so. “Come in, Harry,” Dumbledore said cheerfully. When Harry obliged, Dumbledore motioned for a chair in front of his desk. Harry sat down, and Dumbledore examined him from behind his half-moon spectacles. Harry found himself looking deep into the headmaster’s deep blue eyes.

“Well, Mr. Potter,” Dumbledore said, “it seems that you have made quite an impression upon the students of Hogwarts already, which is rare for someone who has been here a mere half day.”

“It helps to know everyone already, though,” Harry said. “Half of them are still alive in my time.”

“Half of...” Dumbledore said, contemplating this statement. “You’d better not tell me whom you have spoken to thus far, Harry,” he said. “At least not until I hear your story. But before I do, I want to ask you something. Is there any way you can prove to me that all you say is true? It is, as I assume you would know, not customary to be talking to someone from the future you don’t know.”

Harry racked his brain. “Well...there was one thing you told me a long time ago. You have rejected Tom Riddle as the DADA teacher for ages, and ever since he applied for the job, the job has been cursed, and the last professor to hold the job for more than a year was Professor Merrythought.”

“Thank you, Harry,” Dumbledore said. “That will suffice. Now, you may tell me your story.”

“All right, then,” Harry said, taking a deep breath. Where would he begin? “Well, it all began when I was about one year old. Actually, it all began years before I was born, but at least my part of it started when I was a year old.” He expected Dumbledore to explain himself there, but he didn’t. So he continued.

“My parents were part of the Order of the Phoenix,” Harry said, seeing Dumbledore’s eyebrows raise slightly. “They were all fighting Voldemort in the First War...”

“So Tom did rise to power,” Dumbledore muttered, half to himself and half to Harry. “And you say, the ‘First’ War? There are multiple wars?”

“Yes,” Harry said. “See, my parents were hiding at a place called Godric’s Hollow, and they made Sirius their Secret-Keeper.”

“I presume your mother knew Sirius enough to trust him as well as James,” Dumbledore interjected.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “I’ve already met my mom. It’s Lily.”

Dumbledore reacted very strangely at this information. First, he looked very surprised that Lily had accepted James; then he looked very pleased. “Go on,” Dumbledore insisted.

“Okay,” Harry said, taking a deep breath. It got complicated from there, as his emotions took over. “Well, I don’t really know how or why, but my parents suddenly changed Secret-Keepers, and Peter became the new one. Well, years ago, Peter had pledged his loyalty to Voldemort-” Dumbledore closed his eyes in sadness at this news... “-and he betrayed my parents to Voldemort. Well, Voldemort came to the house on Halloween in 1981, and my dad tried to fend him off, but Voldemort killed him. Then my mum...she tried to convince Voldemort to kill her instead of me. He obliged.”

He glanced up at Dumbledore, who looked devastated. “Why,” Dumbledore asked, “was Voldemort after your parents?”

“He wasn’t,” Harry explained. “He was after me. But that’s much later in the story. Do you...do you want me to keep going?”

Dumbledore looked very sad, but he replied, “Please do.”

“Well,” Harry continued, “Voldemort tried to kill me, too...but my mother’s love caused the spell to backfire and kill him instead. Only he didn’t die. That’s later in the story, too. Afterwards, Hagrid picked me up and brought me to you and McGonagall...” Here Harry found himself growing angry at Dumbledore. “...and you left me with my aunt and uncle for ten years. I hate them, by the way.”

“I am sorry for that, Harry...or, I will be sorry, I suppose,” Dumbledore said. “But I see why I would’ve done that. “Go on.”

“Afterwards,” Harry said, “Peter confronted Sirius in a crowded street and...pretended that Sirius had betrayed my parents, not him. He cast a curse behind his back, and killed a dozen Muggles and himself...or so everyone thought. He had actually transformed into a rat and...”

“Are you telling me that Mr. Pettigrew is an Animagus?” Dumbledore inquired. “And, I assume, Mr. Potter and Mr. Black?” Harry winced; he shouldn’t have said that. “Not to worry, Harry,” Dumbledore said quickly. “Don’t think I haven’t realized that the sixth-year Gryffindor boys dormitory is empty every full moon.”

Harry smiled weakly, then continued. “Well, everyone thought Sirius had cast the spell, and he was put into Azkaban for twelve years, convicted without a trial.” Harry said this angrily.

“You seem very bitter about the conviction of someone your father only knew,” Dumbledore commented.

“Oh, it’s not like that at all,” Harry said. “Sirius was my godfather. I met him in my time when I was about fourteen.”

“I see,” Dumbledore said. “And mistake me if you’re wrong, but did you say, he ‘was’ your godfather?”

Harry remembered this. “Oh, yeah...” he said, avoiding the subject. “That comes later, too. Anyway, Pettigrew was brought in by the Weasleys “ you met my friend Ron “ and they kept him for about twelve years.”

From that point, Harry began telling of his life with the Dursleys. He talked about the letters he received constantly, and how Hagrid had eventually rescued him on his eleventh birthday. He told of meeting Ron and Hermione on the train, as well as Malfoy. Dumbledore stopped him there. “Malfoy, you say?” he asked. “Lucius Malfoy?”

“Draco,” Harry corrected. “Lucius’ son.” He continued, telling of the Sorcerer’s Stone, and how he, Ron and Hermione had rescued it from Quirrel.

He then told of his second year. He mentioned that Dobby had warned him not to go to Hogwarts that year, and had nearly been prevented from doing so, but had flown to Hogwarts with Ron in the flying Ford Anglia. He told of the attacks all throughout the year, and how Hermione had realized it was a basilisk right before she was Petrified. He told of how he, Ron and Lockhart had entered the Chamber of Secrets, and his battle with Tom Riddle’s memory. He then told of the victory, and the eventual freeing of Dobby.

He then told of his third year. He mentioned that Sirius had escaped from prison, and everyone thought he was after Harry, but was really after Peter, aka “Scabbers”. He then told of how Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks, had somehow known that something wasn’t right with Scabbers. He told of how he’d overheard that Sirius had been James’ friend, and later how he had caused James’ death, which wasn’t true after all. However, Harry had tried to go after Sirius and kill him for it. Harry told of how he confronted Sirius in the Shrieking Shack, and he had later been caught by Snape. “Snape?” Dumbledore interrupted. “Severus Snape?”

“He became the Potions teacher at Hogwarts,” Harry said absentmindedly. Dumbledore smiled knowingly. Harry then told of his travel through time with Hermione to free Sirius. He told of how he had acquired the Firebolt, which Dumbledore hadn’t heard of, but he later smiled when heard that Harry was a Seeker, just like his father.

Harry then told of his fourth year. He first told of the Quidditch Cup, and how it had been attacked by Death Eaters. “Voldemort’s followers,” Harry explained quickly. He told of how the Triwizard Tournament was being held at Hogwarts, and how Beauxbatons and Durmstrang had joined them to compete. He told of how his name had been selected as the fourth competitor, yet he hadn’t put his name in the Goblet of Fire. He told vaguely what had happened throughout the tasks, and then elaborated on it after the Third Task. He told of Cedric Diggory’s murder, and how Voldemort had used Harry’s blood to come back to life. He told of the Priori Incantatem, and how he had managed to escape. He finished by saying that the Ministry refused to believe that Voldemort had returned.

Harry moved onto his fifth year. He recounted the Dementor attack in June, and his relocation to 12 Grimmauld Place. He explained that Harry wasn’t allowed into the Order, and was somewhat depressed by this. After Harry had been cleared of all charges at the hearing for the Dementor attack, Harry had gone to Hogwarts. He told of how Umbridge had taken over as High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, and eventually took over the position as headmaster. He told of the D.A., and how they had been caught. Later, Harry had a dream of Sirius being caught at the Ministry of Magic, and had gone after Sirius after Umbridge had been taken care of by the centaurs. He explained how, after arriving at the Ministry, several Aurors, and Sirius, had showed up to help fight, and Sirius had fallen through the stone archway. Dumbledore again looked devastated at the news. Harry then told of the prophecy, and how he was supposedly destined to defeat Voldemort. With a sigh, he recounted the prophecy for Dumbledore.

Finally, he had reached his sixth year. He told of his rescue from Privet Drive by Dumbledore himself, and the persuasion to get Slughorn to return to Hogwarts. Dumbledore chuckled at the mention of Slughorn. Harry continued, saying that the Ministry had finally accept he was the ‘Chosen One’, and many people were on his side. Harry told of the attacks on various people, such as the poison and the cursed jewelry. Harry mentioned that Dumbledore had told him about the Horcruxes, and why Voldemort didn’t die when he was a child. Then, Harry told of their visit to the “Inferi Cave”, as he called it, and hold Dumbledore had been force-fed the potion. Dumbledore slowly began turning white with dread at his future.

Harry told of the return to Hogwarts, and how the Dark Mark was over the school. After Dumbledore and Harry landed atop Hogwarts on broomsticks, Malfoy cornered them. Harry was hidden, yet Dumbledore, whom Malfoy was apparently assigned to kill, was in trouble. “Then,” Harry said, “Snape and a few other Death Eaters came in and...” Harry found himself choked up, looking up at the headmaster. “Go on,” Dumbledore said shakily.

“Well...” Harry said. “Snape...he...killed you, Professor. He got you with ‘Avada Kedavra’.”

Dumbledore looked at Harry sadly. “Thank you, Harry, for telling me this. I know it is hard for you to recount all this for me. However, I am not too saddened by this, as it is yet to happen.”

“Are you saying I can change things here?” Harry said eagerly.

Dumbledore pondered this for several moments before replying. “No, Harry,” he said, and Harry’s stomach dropped. “I would prefer that you didn’t share any of this information with anyone else.”

“But “ but why?” Harry protested.

Dumbledore sighed. “Harry, you must understand that all people die at some point in their life...I am glad to hear that, from what you have told me, I lived a good, long life, and I at least died of a noble cause in saving you.”

“What about Snape?” Harry asked. “What will you do about him?”

“Oh, Harry,” Dumbledore said, smiling weakly, “how would it look if I were to just kill a student of mine for no apparent reason? Some things are out of our control. Now, I want to thank you for sharing all this with me in a short period of time. I know it’s hard for you to relive some of this, and I can understand why you may want it to change. Now, for the time being, I am going to keep the memory of this conversation in my Pensieve, just in case this information comes back to get me.” With that, Dumbledore extracted the memory from his mind and put it into his Pensieve.

Harry stared at the floor. He was simultaneously feeling frustrated for not being allowed to change the past (or, in this case, the future), and tired for spilling his entire life story to Dumbledore in an hour and a half. Just then, the bell rang for class. “Well, Harry,” Dumbledore said cheerfully, “it seems as though you’ve missed Potions with Slughorn.”

“I don’t mind,” Harry said carelessly. “I’ve already taken sixth-year Potions with Slughorn. I know all the material.”

“In that case,” Dumbledore said, “you should make sure not to be late for Transfiguration. As long as you’re here, I expect you to behave as though you are a regular student here. And remember, not a word to anybody.”

“Thank you for your time, Professor,” Harry said, standing up to leave. As he exited the office, he had a single thought going through his mind...

Why should I have to listen to him to decide my future?

***

Author’s Note: Ooh, what will Harry do? Will he give away his identity? Or will Dumbledore’s words have an effect on him? Find out soon!

P.S.-I have up to Ch. 8 done, so I'll be posting as frequently as the mods can update the chapters. So look out for Ch. 5 soon!
In Transfiguration by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Bit of an unoriginal chapter title, I know, but it's not that important, is it? Enjoy!


Harry strode into the Transfiguration, head still spinning from his meeting with Dumbledore. Ron and Hermione spotted him come in, and motioned for him to sit with them. Harry started to walk towards their table, but saw that James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were also motioning for him. Harry gave a meaningful look at Ron and Hermione before sitting with the Marauders.

“Hey, Harry!” Sirius greeted him. “Glad you could join us.”

“Where were you in Potions?” James asked. “McGonagall told us this morning you’d been given the same schedule as us.”

“Oh, Dumbledore kept me for a while,” Harry replied. “I’ll have to explain later; it’s a long story.”

“Fair enough,” James said, dropping the subject for now. Just then, McGonagall walked into the room, cutting their conversation short. Harry realized soon, and he knew Ron and Hermione did as well, that this lesson was one they’d perfected in their sixth year back home: transfiguring a tea kettle into a bottle of ink. When McGonagall asked the class what the incantation was, Hermione’s hand rose instantly to give the correct answer, and McGonagall awarded ten points to Gryffindor, to everyone’s delight.

“Your friend’s pretty smart,” Remus said to Harry. “She’s most likely smarter than I am.”

“Come off it, Moony,” Sirius said. “You’re smarter than you think.”

“Aw, I’m not that smart,” Remus replied modestly. “I just pay attention in class, that’s all.”

“You guys, we shouldn’t be calling each other by our nicknames in front of Harry,” James said to Sirius, Remus and Peter. “He doesn’t know us yet.”

“I actually know more about you four than you think,” Harry whispered. That drew horrified looks from the Marauders, but before they could ask him to elaborate, McGonagall deducted five points from Gryffindor for their talking.

Later in the lesson, Ron Banished a note to Harry under the desks, asking where he’d been at Potions. Harry wrote that he’d been explaining his story to Dumbledore, and Banished it back to Ron. Ron and Hermione read over it, and satisfied, went back to work.

“So, Harry,” James whispered a few minutes later when McGonagall was out of earshot, “I noticed you met Lily Evans already. What do you think of her?”

“Erm...” Harry thought about this. “She seems nice,” he offered. “And she’s not ugly or anything,” he added, avoiding using affectionate terms that might set James off.

James nodded. “You’re right there,” he said. “I personally think she’s amazing.” He took to staring wistfully at the back of Lily’s head, which was bent over the desk as she worked hard to transfigure her kettle. Harry, who had yet to start on his kettle, wasn’t worried about getting caught not working, as only Ron and Hermione had yet to accomplish the task.

“Come on, Pr...erm, James,” Sirius said, avoiding the nickname. “I’m sure Harry doesn’t want to hear about your personal life.”

“Oh, I don’t mind,” Harry said quickly, wanting to hear more. “Actually, you might say that Lily is sort of...related to me.”

“Really?” James said, surprised.

“Well, not exactly,” Harry said. It was true; she wasn’t his mother yet. “But I sort of know her.”

James nodded absentmindedly. “Well, it’s not exactly a big secret around the school, but I fancy Lily,” he said. “I’ve been trying to get her to go out with me for a few years, but she hasn’t really paid attention to me yet. She keeps saying I’m a big showoff and stuff.”

“Well, maybe if you didn’t go around hexing people and playing with that Snitch all the time, she might think differently of you,” Harry said without thinking. Sirius, Remus and Peter’s eyes grew wide.

“He’s right, James,” Sirius said. “He does know a lot about us.”

“How did you know that?” Peter piped up. Harry started; it was the first thing he’d heard the smaller boy say since he’d gotten there.

“Erm...” Harry thought. “Well, like you said, it’s not a big secret around the school, right?”

“Oh...I guess so,” James said. He still looked very suspicious. “I’m getting the feeling there’s something you’re not telling us, Harry.”

Harry sighed. “You’re right,” he admitted. “James, is there somewhere we can talk tonight? Alone?”

Sirius, Remus and Peter looked at each other.

“Uh, yeah,” James said. “I guess we can go to one of the alcoves on the seventh floor I “ we “ found a couple years ago.”

“Good,” Harry said. “And guys...” He was referring to the other three. “...I’ll tell you guys later. You’ll want to know, too.”

James and the others nodded, and just then, the bell rang. “I’ll take you up on that, Harry,” James said. “I’ll meet you in the common room by the fire at eight.”

“You got it,” Harry replied, and the Marauders walked out of the room for lunch.

Harry was about to follow after them (and Ron and Hermione) when he heard a short “Oh!” from behind him. He turned to see Lily, who had tripped over her bench and spilled all her books and papers everywhere. He walked up the aisle to her and started picking up her stuff. “Back off, James!” Lily growled suddenly, then looked up to see Harry, who was startled. “Oh, sorry about that, Harry,” she sighed. “I thought you were...well, anyway...”

“That’s okay,” Harry said. He started picking up one of her books, but his hand accidentally met hers. They held hands for a brief second before Harry drew away, heart thumping. “Sorry,” he said hastily.

“No problem,” Lily said, smiling. She and Harry looked up to meet eyes truly for the first time, and Harry was staring deeply into her green eyes. They were rather beautiful...HARRY POTTER! his mind screamed at her. Don’t you dare think of your mother like that.

But she’s not my mother yet, Harry argued with himself. Lily finally broke the silence. “You have green eyes just like me,” she commented softly. “I thought I was the only one with green eyes in the school.”

“Not anymore,” Harry said, smiling weakly. Lily grinned and squeezed his hand slightly before standing up again. Harry’s heart leapt for some reason, and he mentally kicked himself. What’s your problem? he said. He was actually flirting with his mum!

Harry stood up, as well. “So...” Lily said. “I guess I’ll see you at Defense Against the Dark Arts after lunch,” she said.

“Yeah,” Harry managed to croak out. Lily began walking out of the room, and Harry thought he heard a slight chuckle. After watching her walk away for a few seconds, he also left the room. When he did, Ron and Hermione walked up to him. “About time,” Ron said. “I was about to walk in and interrupt your little talk with your mum, but Hermione stopped me.

Harry mentally thanked Hermione for doing so. “So, I suppose you want to know what Dumbledore said,” he sighed to them. They both nodded eagerly. “Well, he told me that I should keep everything to myself and not share any information with anyone else until we can figure out how to get home again.”

“Ha!” Hermione said victoriously. “See, I told you he’d never approve of changing things here.”

“Who says I’m going to listen to him?” Harry then said, causing Hermione to stop and gawk at him. “Sorry, Hermione, but I can’t do it. I have to tell them. How can I just go back home knowing I had the chance to save their lives, but just passed up the opportunity?”

“Harry, no!” Hermione cried. “You’re making a big mistake! You don’t know what the consequences of that could be!”

“No, I don’t,” Harry admitted. “But I want to face them knowing I at least made an effort to save their lives.” Harry looked to his left and saw Ron, expressionless, standing off to the side. He had yet to say anything on the matter. “What do you think, Ron?”

“Well, mate,” Ron said, “I do think Hermione’s right in saying it’s dangerous to change things here.” Hermione beamed. “However,” he continued, and Hermione’s smile faded, “I trust your judgment, because I’ve known you for so long. Just be careful with what you change, mate.” Hermione glared at him as he said this.

“Hermione,” Harry said, turning to face his friend, who was near tears, “I know that you are trying to help. But this is my decision to make, not yours. Just trust me.”

Hermione nodded sullenly. “Like Ron said,” she told him, “just be careful.”

Harry nodded. “Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. I promise.”

He hoped.

***

Harry could hardly wait until eight ‘o clock. He got thirty points taken away from Gryffindor total in his last three classes of the day for not paying attention, which was obviously a new record, because the Marauders were in awe of him by the time they were dismissed for the day. Finally, after a few hours of pacing and mulling over what to say, 8:00 rolled around, and James came down to join Harry by the fire, Invisibility Cloak in hand. “Betcha didn’t know I had one of these?” James said, smirking.

“Actually, I did,” Harry replied, wiping the smirk from James’ face. “C’mon, I’ll explain everything once we’re there,” Harry said, throwing the cloak over he and James and walking out of the common room. When James had shown him the way to the alcove, they pushed the tapestry covering it aside and got comfortable against the walls, across from each other.

“Now,” Harry said, “you’re probably wondering how I know so much about you and your friends. A few facts: you’re illegal Animagi, except Remus, who’s a werewolf. You have dubbed yourself the Marauders, and you have a map called the Marauder’s Map, which is activated by saying ‘I solemnly swear I am up to no good’, and deactivated by saying ‘Mischief managed’.” James, wide-eyed, was unable to speak.

“I know, it’s a bit shocking,” Harry said. “And you may have also wondered why we look so much alike...in fact, how we’re practically twins, except for eye color and my glasses.” James nodded dumbly, and Harry sighed. He decided to come straight out and tell James. “James...I’m not from this time. I’m your son,” he blurted out.

James stared blankly at Harry for a moment. Harry continued. “It may be hard to understand, but it’s true,” he said. “Now, I should tell you about what happens in your future...”

“Harry,” James said weakly. “I need to tell you something.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“You’re not my son,” James replied.

“No, seriously, James,” Harry said. “It’s hard to believe, I know, but...”

“No, no, you don’t understand,” James insisted. “Harry...I’m not from this time, either.”

***

Author’s Note: Betcha didn’t see that coming, did you? All will be revealed in Chapter 6. Hope this makes you want to read more!
Formulating a Plan by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Thank you, everyone, for your patience with this chapter. As soon as it is validated, you can read it at last!!


“What?!” Harry exclaimed. How is this possible? Harry thought. He’s my father; how could he not be from this time?

James nodded sullenly, then cracked up unexpectedly. Harry was totally confused.

“Come off it, Harry,” James said, wiping a tear from his eye. “’Not from this time’, please...”

“James, look at me,” Harry said seriously, grabbing James by the shoulders and forcing him to look into his eyes. “Haven’t you ever noticed the similarities between us? Everything’s the same, except for my glasses and eye color. I got that from my mum.”

“Your mum...” James pondered that, deep in thought. Suddenly, a wicked smile crossed his face. “Evans!”

Harry nodded, and James gave a whoop of delight. “I KNEW she’d come around eventually!” James said excitedly. “I think I’m starting to believe you.”

“Dad...er, James...listen to me,” Harry said. “Just because I say she’d gonna marry you doesn’t mean it’ll happen. If you’re still a big-headed jerk around her, she’ll never love you.” It was a sharp remark, and Harry knew it; James immediately winced. “I’m sorry,” Harry said. It’s just that...I went into Professor Dumbledore’s Pensieve in my time and...I saw the incident with you and Snape at the lake in your fifth year.”

“Ah, right,” James said. “I remember that. But he deserved it! He called her a Mudblood! Of course, that’s to be expected when he just got off with her...”

“Yeah, but that’s no excuse to...what?!” Harry exclaimed. “What do you mean, he got off with her?”

“Oh, didn’t you know?” James said. “Lily dated Snivellus for a few months, in our fourth year. That’s why I’ve always hated him, you know. That slimy git, with my Lily!”

Harry took a deep breath as he processed this information. It definitely explained a lot: why Snape had always hated him...because he was the son of a woman whom he had once loved. Seriously, though, Harry said to himself, Why would a Slytherin go out with a Gryffindor?

“I guess there’s a lot both of us don’t know,” James said, chuckling nervously. “But, I mean, wow...me and Lily really do hit it off! I think I’m ready to believe you now. Wait ‘til I tell the guys...”

Suddenly, something dawned on James. “Wait...” he said slowly. “You told us at breakfast that your parents died in a car crash,” he said. “That means...me?”

Harry swallowed, tears beginning to form in his eyes. “James, I think this is why I wanted to come back in time to meet you...I wanted to protect you and Lily from harm. Look, it wasn’t a car crash that killed you, James. It was Lord Voldemort.”

James stared at him, wide-eyed. “Wha-why?” he asked. “What would You-Know-Who want to do with me and Lily?”

“He wasn’t after you,” Harry explained tiredly. “He was after me. There was a prophecy that said I would be the only one that could defeat him, so he tried to kill me. You died fighting Voldemort, and Lily...she shielded me from him and died, and Voldemort then tried to kill me, but Lily’s love saved me, and I was left with this.” He pulled back his black hair to reveal his scar. James looked at it curiously.

“Well, if everyone knew You-Know-Who was after you, wouldn’t someone have put a Fidelius Charm on our location or something?” he asked. “Who was the Secret-Keeper?”

Harry closed his eyes sadly. “This is the hardest thing to tell you, James,” he said, sighing. “You and Lily chose Sirius to be your Secret-Keeper...”

“Of course,” James muttered, nodding.

“...but somehow, Peter convinced Sirius to make him Secret-Keeper, but Peter...Peter was working for Voldemort.”

James gasped. “No...not Wormtail...”

“I know,” Harry said sadly. “He betrayed you to Voldemort, James. The boy you hang out with every day is the reason you died.”

James ran a frustrated hand through his thick hair. “I can’t believe this,” he muttered. “What about Sirius?”

“Sirius confronted Peter on a Muggle road a few days after your murder,” Harry said, “and Peter blew up half the people there, and went into hiding. People thought he had died, and they blamed it all on Sirius, and Sirius got sent to Azkaban for life.”

“No...not Paddie, too!” James moaned. “Why me? And...poor Remus...what became of him?”

“Well, he taught DADA in my third year,” Harry replied, to which James smiled weakly, “and he was probably the best teacher we’d ever had, but once everyone found out he was a werewolf, he resigned. Then he joined the Order of the Phoenix “ an organization against Voldemort led by Dumbledore,” Harry added before James could open his mouth. “And Sirius...he escaped from Azkaban when I was thirteen, but...he died three years later.”

James buried his face in his arms. “I can tell why you would want to change everything,” he remarked. “What do you think you’ll do?”

“I don’t know yet,” Harry said. “There’s a couple things I could do, but some of them would really screw up the future for good. I need to figure out how to stop Peter and Snape without killing them...oh, and Bellatrix.”

“Lestrange?” James asked. “What’s she got to do with anything? Or Snape?”

“They’re both Death Eaters...at least, they will be,” Harry said. “Death Eaters are Voldemort’s supporters, by the way. Bella killed Sirius, and Snape...he killed Dumbledore, just a few weeks before I got transported here.”

James’ jaw clenched. “Don’t worry, Harry,” he said. “I’ll get Snivellus for Dumbledore’s sake...you can take Lestrange.”

“No!” Harry said. “What good will killing anyone do? Would you rather be thrown in Azkaban for life? I’d rather die, personally!” James looked at him angrily, then sighed and nodded.

“The things I need to change are you and Lily’s death, Sirius’ death, and Dumbledore’s death. That means we need to somehow get rid of Peter, Bella and Snape. The first thing we should decide whether or not to tell Sirius and Remus...because we obviously can’t tell Peter that we’re plotting against him.”

“Well, we can’t tell Padfoot or Moony anything without Wormtail butting in,” James sighed. “I guess we shouldn’t tell them anything. I’ll just tell them you were spying on us or something to get them off your back for your knowing a lot about us...”

“Fair enough,” Harry said. “So...we should figure out how to do this without hurting anyone, or changing anything else drastically.”

“What do you figure?” James said.

“I do know one way we could eliminate Snape,” Harry said thoughtfully. “Dumbledore told me that you saved Snape’s life this year from Moony during a transformation.”

James snickered. “Me, save Snape?” he said, stifling a laugh. “I think not!”

“I know; I didn’t believe it, either,” Harry said, nodding. “It would be a little unfair, but we could recreate the incident and not have you save him this time. That way, technically, it wasn’t our fault. It was his fault, after all.”

“Why? What did he do?” James asked.

“Well, Sirius told him that Remus was a werewolf, and Snape went after him when he went under the Whomping Willow, but you pulled him away before Remus could do him any harm.”

James nodded slowly. “That’s not a bad idea,” he said. “It wouldn’t be my fault, because I could be somewhere far away where it isn’t my responsibility, and Remus couldn’t get blamed, because he was in werewolf form. It would be like suicide!”

Harry nodded, and then stretched and yawned. It was nearing one in the morning. “We should figure the rest out another time,” he said. “Remember, don’t tell anyone about this. Not even Ron and Hermione.”

“Oh, did they come back in time with you, too?” he said.

“Yeah,” Harry said, “but they didn’t want me telling anyone about the future. Neither did Dumbledore.”

James’ eyes widened. “You disobeyed Dumbledore?” he exclaimed. At first, Harry thought James would be mad, but then, he smiled and clapped him on the shoulder. “I guess you really ARE my son!”

Harry laughed. “After you, ‘Dad’,” he said, opening the tapestry for James to climb out. James obliged, smirking, and Harry followed soon after. “Well,” Harry said, “we’d better get back to bed before anyone notices we’re...” He stopped short, noticing James had stopped in his tracks. He followed his gaze down the corridor, then gasped.

Sirius, Remus, and Peter were walking towards them.

***

Author’s Note: Okay, okay, don't get mad at me for the cliffhanger being nothing of importance, but hey, it got you to read the next chapter, didn't it? I hope you guys read more! Please review!
Detention and Deciphering by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Do you think Harry can get out of this one? Find out...




Harry’s stomach lurched when he saw the Marauders walking towards him and James. He was not afraid of slipping up again; rather, he was worried that James would disregard Harry’s warning and tell them everything.





“So, Prongs,” Sirius said, smirking, “going out for a chat with your twin?”





“Ha, ha,” James said, smirking back. “We were just...talking...”





“About what?” Remus said. “Ever find out how he’s been finding out so much about us?”





Harry looked to James nervously. James glanced at him before saying, “That’s something you won’t be getting out of me, guys.”





“Are you mad, Prongs?” Sirius said, incredulous. “You’ve never kept a secret from us!”





“Well, this is sorta personal,” James said, biting his lip convincingly. Harry had to admit that his father was a very good liar. “You can ask him, but I don’t think I should tell you.”





“Fair enough,” Remus said. Harry looked at James, expecting to share a small smile, but instead found that James was watching Peter intently.





“What?” Peter asked. “Do I have something on my face?”





“Yeah,” Remus quipped. “It’s called your nose.”





Everyone laughed at this. “Well,” Sirius remarked, “it’s one in the morning. We’d better get back before we get caught.” So, with that, the five boys walked back to the common room.





“Let’s just hope no one’s in the common roo-” James started, but unfortunately, as they approached the Fat Lady, it swung open and Lily walked out.





“And what do you think you’re doing, out at this time?” Lily asked, raising her eyebrows.





“What’s up, Evans?” James replied, ignoring the question. “We were just out for a little stroll.”





“At one in the morning?!” Lily exclaimed. “James, sometimes I wonder if you know what the rules of this school are!”





“Oh, I know all the rules,” James replied coolly. “I’ve just chosen not to follow them.”





“Well, you’re all in trouble now,” Lily reminded him. “Oh, hello, Mr. Filch...”





The five boys wheeled around as they saw Filch walk briskly down the corridor towards them. “What’s going on here?” Filch demanded, looking from the boys to Lily and to the boys again.





“These five were out on a ‘stroll’, sir,” Lily told the caretaker. “They should clearly know that it is against the rules to be out past ten. I believe that deserves detention, don’t you?”





Harry was surprised at his mother-to-be’s attitude towards the Marauders. Obviously, she wanted them punished, and badly. “I believe you’re correct, Miss Evans,” Filch replied, and Lily smirked. “I’ll see the six of you in my office tomorrow...rather, today...at 7:00 PM sharp.”





“Six?” Lily asked politely. “Sir, I think you mean five.”





“No, I said six,” Filch said. “You were out after hours as well, Miss Evans. That also deserves detention, don’t you think?”





“But-but...” Lily stuttered. “I was reprimanding these five! I was doing my duties!”





“Yes, but why didn’t you wait until these five were in their common room to do so?” Filch inquired, smirking. Lily tried to think of an excuse, but he was right. “Right, then,” Filch said. “Off to bed. See you at seven, you six.” With that, Filch turned around and walked back down the corridor.





Lily rounded on James. “Potter!” she snarled. “You landed me in detention! I’ve never gotten detention in my life!”





“I didn’t do anything, Evans,” James reminded her. “It was your decision to come out of the common room to stop us. You did that, not me.”





Lily glared at him for a few seconds, then huffed and stomped back into the common room and up to her dormitory.





“Well, we’d better go to bed now,” Sirius said, entering the portrait hole after Lily. “Goodnight, all.” So all the Marauders went up to the boys dormitory and crawled into bed. Harry remained awake as several new sets of snores began around him. Just when he thought he was the last one left awake, he looked to his left and saw James sitting on his bed staring out the window. Harry assumed he was thinking about what he had told James earlier. I’d probably be restless if I knew I would die early, too, Harry thought, taking pity on James. Finally, Harry rolled over and fell into a deep sleep.





***





The next day was Tuesday, and Harry went back to talking to Ron and Hermione. Thankfully, Ron and Hermione had dropped the topic of Harry changing the past, so they began talking of how they’d get back. “What exactly were you doing when we got sent back, Harry?” Hermione asked in Herbology as they tended to their Venomous Tentacula.





Harry thought for a moment. “Well, I was talking about changing things here...how I wanted to bring Sirius, Dumbledore, and my parents back.”





“Well, that’s not really unusual,” Hermione said. “What exactly did you say?”





“Just something about, ‘I wish I could bring them back’,” Harry replied. “I don’t really remember.”





Hermione was thoughtful for a moment. “Well, maybe someone “ or something “ sent us back to prove that changing things here would NOT make things perfect back home. Or maybe it was something else...what were you doing physically when it happened?”





Harry racked his brain. “I was sitting on George’s bed,” he said. “And I was holding my photo album.”





“That’s got to be it, then,” Hermione said. “That album must’ve done something to send us back. But...could it be...no, surely not...”





“What?” Harry and Ron asked simultaneously.





“It’s just that...” Hermione said. “In 1995, a wizarding scientist created a type of leather that reacted to voice command. For instance, a belt made of the leather could loop itself around someone’s waist independently by hearing a single programmed word.”





“Wicked!” Ron exclaimed.





“Anyway,” Hermione said, “one type of leather was supposed to be able to transport people to different places, sort of like a Portkey but something went wrong. The Ministry covered the whole thing up and closed production of the leather, and no one really knows what went wrong. You don’t think it was able to send people back in time?”





“Well, Hermione,” Harry said, “that doesn’t mean anything, does it? I mean, Hagrid wasn’t working there or anything, and how could he have used any of that leather for the album?”





“There’s more,” Hermione told him. “A few weeks after the factory was closed, a group of wizards broke in and stole all the unused leather in the warehouses. A couple days later, they turned up in Hogsmeade...they were trying to sell the leather to Hogwarts staff. You don’t think...”





“Hagrid bought some?” Harry said, thinking. “That would make sense...and he probably thought it was just regular leather or something.”





“Well, we need to figure out what the key word is for your album, if that’s the case,” Hermione said. “And if we do figure it out, we have to figure out how to get it to send us to the right place in time. I’ll do some research on it.” Just then, the bell rang, and Hermione made a beeline for the library.





“We’re stuck in the past, and Hermione still finds time to study in the library,” Ron commented, shaking his head sadly. Harry grinned, but then remembered his detention with Filch, the Marauders and Lily later, and frowned again. It would be an interesting night.





***





At seven, Harry and the Marauders walked down to Filch’s office on the fourth floor. When they knocked, the door opened immediately, and Filch beckoned them inside. Lily was already there, sitting sadly in a wooden chair off to the side. She obviously was not happy about this whole thing.





“Now that you’re all here,” Filch said, closing the door behind the boys, “I can tell you what you’re doing tonight. You will be in the Great Hall, which Professor Dumbledore graciously offered to me free of distraction for tonight, and you will be scrubbing the entire floor without magic.” Everyone gawked at him, unbelieving. “And just to make sure, I’ll be taking your wands.” He held out his hand, and everyone grudgingly handed over their wands.





“Very good,” Filch said, locking the wands in a cabinet. “Let’s go.” He then led the six down to the Great Hall, where he let them go in and then shut and locked the doors behind them.





Lily immediately strode away from them, grabbing a bucket of water and a sponge and walking to the far side of the Hall, alone. “Well, let’s spread out,” Sirius said grudgingly, and the four Marauders and Harry went to different locations throughout the vast hall, carrying their own bucket and sponge. Harry found the task to be as hard as he’d expected; he spent nearly a minute on each square foot of ground, getting all the old food and dirt off the floor.





An hour later, after scrubbing in a straight line without looking up, Harry found that he was a few feet away from Lily. “Sorry,” he said, starting to get up and move to a new location.





“No, stay,” Lily said. Harry could tell she was anxious for some company, but not the Marauders. “This is pretty boring, huh?”





“Yeah,” Harry agreed, nodding.





“I’ve never had detention before in my life,” Lily told him, laughing quietly.





“I have,” Harry said, anxious for an opportunity to talk to Lily. “Once, in my second year, I missed the train, and Ron and I had to fly an enchanted car to school. I got detention for a week...I was lucky I wasn’t expelled!”





“Wait...I thought you never went to Hogwarts before this,” Lily said, curious. “What train?”





For a moment, Harry wanted to tell her the truth, but for some odd reason, something held him back. “I meant the train back in America,” he lied. “The Adstruffy Express.”





“I see,” Lily said, nodding slowly.





“But yeah, this is my first detention here,” Harry told her.





“So...why do you hang out with those four, anyway?” Lily asked, motioning to the Marauders, who were at the other end of the hall, unaware of the two.





“Ah...it’s a long story,” Harry said, avoiding the subject.





“Well, we have a long time in here,” Lily reminded him. “We’ll be in here all night, you know.”





“I know,” Harry said. “But...it’s sort of private.”





“Okay, no problem,” Lily said, not pressing the matter. Suddenly, she laughed quietly.





“What?” Harry asked.





“It’s just that...you look so much like James,” she said, “and I vowed to myself I’d never open up to him. And here I am, talking to you like you’re my best friend, and it feels like I’m talking to him!”





“I get that a lot,” Harry said, and Lily looked at him curiously. “I mean, not the best friend part, but the looking like James part,” Harry explained, and Lily nodded knowingly.





“Hey! You two!” Harry and Lily turned abruptly. Sirius was looking at them. “If you don’t help, we’ll never finish this job!” Sirius yelled. Harry and Lily nodded, shared a smile, and went back to work.





The voice in Harry’s head was screaming at him again. Don’t talk to her like she’s your girlfriend! the voice yelled. She’s supposed to marry James, so back off!





But she’s so much fun to be around, Harry retaliated.





You could mess up history!





That’s the point!





Don’t do anything bad!






“Shut up!” Harry said, then realized he had said it aloud. Everyone turned to look at him. “Sorry,” he said, and everyone laughed and went back to work.





Everyone worked tirelessly for four more hours, and at about midnight, James collapsed in a heap, exhausted. Everyone agreed it was time for a break, and lay down to rest. Harry lay down on his back, groaning from the cramps growing in his hands and back from hunching over and cleaning for so long, and he eventually fell into an exhausted sleep.





***





When Harry awoke the next morning, he felt a strange sensation on his upper body. He slowly opened his eyes, and found that Lily’s head was resting on his stomach. He instantly felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness, and he contemplated getting up, but he decided to savor the moment for the time being.





A few minutes later, there was a loud noise as Filch unlocked the door and walked into the room. Harry felt Lily stir as she awoke, and realized where she was, and she sat up, looking at Harry, who pretended to be asleep, and pushed herself away from him, a surprised look on her face. Harry stole a glance to his left and met James’ gaze for a split second before his father-to-be closed his eyes sharply again, pretending to be asleep also.





“Wake up!” Filch yelled. The other three Marauders woke up sharply and looked around, and James and Harry made a show of jumping to their feet in mock surprise.





“Good work so far,” Filch said, examining the Hall. “You will continue your work tomorrow night. Come straight here at seven tonight. Now go change into your robes. Breakfast begins in an hour.” With that, he shooed the six of them out of the hall.





As Harry walked out of the hall, watching Lily run up the stairs to the seventh floor ahead of him, he couldn’t help but think, I can’t wait until seven ‘o clock!





***





Author’s Note: Uh-oh! What’s going on between Harry and Lily? Is it more than a mother-son love happening here? Only I know for sure...you’ll have to wait until later to find out! Thanks for reading; please leave a review!
Slip-Ups and Confusions by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
I was surprised that Chapter 7 went up so quickly...but I'm not complaining. Thanks to my mod for this story, Bethany! Anyway, here's chapter eight (when it's validated)...



“Enjoyed that back there, did you, Harry?” James said, coming up to Harry as he walked up the stairs to the Gryffindor common room to change.



“What do you mean?” Harry asked innocently.



“Come off it, Harry,” James said sternly. “You and I both know what I mean. Your little episode with Lily back there!”



“Oh, that?” Harry said. “Hey, James, relax; she’s my mom...I just want to spend a little time with her, that’s all.”



“So she sleeps on your chest?” James inquired, raising his eyebrows.



“I didn’t ask her to,” Harry retorted. “I just woke up and she was there...come on, James, it’s not like I’m going to be stealing her from you...I’m not staying here forever! There’s nothing going on between us besides a little mother-son connection!”



“Or is there?” James asked, speeding up and leaving Harry to walk alone. Harry sighed; James was right. You just need to back off from Lily, the voice inside Harry said.



Harry half-agreed with it this time. Yeah, he thought, but she’s just so much fun to be around...and she’s easy to talk to...and besides, she’s not my mother yet!



He pushed the matter aside for the time being and finally arrived at the common room. He went up to the dormitory and changed, then went down to the common room and sat at a seat in front of the fire. He stared into the empty grate, lost in thoughts. When will Sirius trick Snape into following Lupin into the Whomping Willow? How should we get rid of Bellatrix and Peter...and maybe Rodolphus, too? And of course, How can I talk to Lily without falling for her? Eventually, people began piling out of their dormitories for breakfast, and Harry got up to join them.



At breakfast, Harry sat with Ron and Hermione. “How was detention?” Ron asked, smirking. “I’m assuming you guys were cleaning in here, because it smells like soap.”



“Yup,” Harry replied. “We had to scrub the entire floor last night.” Ron and Hermione’s eyes grew wide. “And we’re not done yet. We have to finish tonight.”



“Well, did you talk to Lily or James yet?” Hermione asked.



“I’ve already told James everything,” Harry said, and Ron and Hermione nearly choked on their food. “Don’t worry,” Harry reassured them. “I’m going to wipe his memory before we leave this time.” This seemed to ease Ron’s concern, but Hermione wasn’t moved.



“Memory charms are trickier than they seem, Harry,” she informed him. “If you only want to wipe away his memory of the future, you’ll have to learn how. I happen to know it takes a great deal of time and effort to master the spell.”



“That’s what you’re here for, Hermione,” Ron said. “You need to help Harry with learning the charm."



“’That’s what I’m here for’?” Hermione exclaimed. “Ron, how can you think that of me?” She got up from the table and strode out of the hall. Ron gave a confused look at Harry.



“What?” he asked. “What did I do?”



“You made it sound like she’s only good for studying,” Harry told him. “Smooth move.”



“Oops,” Ron said, and got up and ran after Hermione to apologize. Harry ate in silence for a moment, and then someone sat down across from him. Harry looked up to see Lily, smiling at him.



“Morning,” she said. “Uh, I don’t know if you knew, but this morning I sort of woke up with my head on your chest, so...”



“That’s okay,” Harry said a little too quickly. Lily stopped, looked at him, and laughed.



“Well, if you’re that eager to say it’s fine, you obviously wouldn’t mind it again,” Lily said, and Harry stared at her. She laughed again. “I’m just kidding!” she said, and Harry also laughed, half from realizing he’d been tricked, and half to hide his partial disappointment.



“So, what classes do you have this morning?” Lily asked curiously.



Harry pulled his schedule from his pocket. “I have Defense Against the Dark Arts and then double Astronomy,” he said.



“I’ll have DADA with you, then,” Lily said, grabbing a plate of scrambled eggs. Harry watched her eat slowly for a few seconds, thinking how good she looked doing just about anything...the voice inside Harry’s head started to protest again, but Harry pushed the voice from his mind, finishing his sausage and French toast.



“See you there,” he said hastily, walking out of the hall. Defense Against the Dark Arts didn’t start for another half hour, but Harry had to leave Lily’s presence for a while to soothe the butterflies in his stomach. What was wrong with him? He wasn’t falling for Lily, was he? It couldn’t hurt to just spend a little time with her before I leave and wipe her memory, Harry thought, still pressing the nagging voice from his mind. He went back up to his dormitory to get his things, then sat in front of the fire again for a while before leaving for DADA.



The DADA teacher this year was Professor Smythe, and Harry wondered what would keep this teacher from staying at Hogwarts another year. He knew almost instantly when he entered the room: Professor Smythe was very old, maybe older than Dumbledore, and had to use a cane to get around and stand up.



Harry realized they had this class with the Slytherins as he looked around for a seat, and he saw several people waving at him: Ron and Hermione, the Marauders, and...Lily.



Harry contemplated the decision for a moment, then finally chose Lily. Everyone looked at them both in surprise.



“Hey, Harry,” Lily said, smiling. “You sure left breakfast quickly this morning.”



“Oh, yeah,” Harry said, thinking of an excuse. “I had to...uh...”



“Don’t,” Lily said, stopping him. Harry stopped, wondering if she knew why he had really left. Lily shook her head slightly at him, and Harry felt his face slowly start to turn red. Thankfully, Professor Smythe called for everyone’s attention, and Lily turned her attention from Harry to the professor, as did everyone else.



“Welcome to Defense Against the Dark Arts,” the professor said. “I say this because we have three new students in our class. I hope you enjoy your Hogwarts year. Now, today we will be practicing a spell we began last week: Protego.” Harry, Ron and Hermione looked at each other in surprise; they had learned the spell in fifth year, during Dumbledore’s Army. “I should probably overview the spell for our new students...”



“We don’t need it, sir,” Hermione said. “We’ve already learned the spell at our other school.”



“I see,” the professor said. “In that case, we can begin. Everyone may practice the spell by blocking the spells of their partner. Nothing too extreme, please!” Professor Smythe looked at the Marauders as he said this. The Marauders just smirked at him.



Lily and Harry walked to the center of the room, where an area was cleared for everyone to practice the spell. First, Lily practiced her shield charm. Harry shot a Stunning spell at Lily, who attempted to conjure a shield. However, her weak charm only caused the spell to slow down slightly, hitting Lily in the stomach. Harry muttered the counter-curse, and Lily was unfrozen.



“You should try waving your wand in a clockwise circle,” Harry commented. “It usually enhances the spell.”



Lily nodded thoughtfully, and when Harry shot another Stunning spell at her, Lily was able to deflect the spell perfectly. “How did you know to do that?” she asked curiously.



“I’ve just practiced it a lot,” Harry said, shrugging.



“All right, Mr. Practice,” Lily said playfully, “you try.” So they switched places; Harry was practicing his shield charm against Lily’s spells. Lily’s first spell, Impedimenta, was so strong, it caught Harry off-guard. It was twice as bright as any spell Harry had ever cast, and Harry was unable to conjure a shield in time. “I thought you were a master at this,” she said, laughing as she unfroze him.



“That spell just caught me off-guard,” Harry admitted. “How did you get to be so good at Charms?”



“I’ve just practiced a lot,” Lily said, smirking. Harry laughed at this, and after that, Harry was able to deflect all her spells, although he couldn’t help but marvel at her incredible charms skills.



“I SAID NOTHING TOO SERIOUS!” Professor Smythe yelled out suddenly, as the Marauders burst out laughing. James had cast a spell at Sirius that caused vines to sprout from his ears. Even Sirius was laughing as he felt the green growth pouring from his ears.



Everyone began crowding around the four boys to see what was happening, and Lily and Harry were bumped around. Suddenly, a boy crashed into Lily, causing her to fall backwards, her head falling towards a desk.



Harry pointed his wand at her. Accio! he thought, subconsciously deciding to use a nonverbal spell. Inches away from the desk, Lily was suddenly pulled forward towards Harry, who caught her in his arms, her momentum causing him to step backwards a bit. He set her down, grinning, and realized everyone was looking at him.



“Hospital wing, Mr. Black,” Professor Smythe said quickly, and no one turned to look as Sirius left the room. “Now, Mr. Potter...how on earth did you manage to cast that spell nonverbally?”

.

Harry realized too late that most nonverbal spells were very advanced, and the only reason they’d been taught to do so in the future was because of the circumstances...here, in the past, they wouldn’t learn nonverbal spells until seventh year. Harry saw Snape among the crowd, watching him suspiciously. Harry knew that he and Snape, and probably the professor, were the only ones that could cast nonverbal spells. “Oh,” he said. “Uh...I just found a book on nonverbal spells one day and decided to practice...” This was partially true, as Snape’s Potions textbook did have a lot of nonverbal spells in it.



Suddenly, the bell rang, and Harry, still under the curious eye of the whole class, grabbed his things and fast-walked out of the room. He walked up to the common room immediately, not feeling well enough to go to Astronomy. He almost gave away his secret to an entire class! He sat staring at the ashes in the grate for a while when he heard the portrait open, and he turned his head to see none other than Lily walk through the portrait hole. “What are you doing here?” he asked. “Don’t you have a class to go to?”



“It can wait,” she said carelessly. “But...how did you do that, really? You saved me from a couple days in the Hospital Wing, for sure...”



Once again, Harry was faced with an opportunity to tell Lily about the future, but once again, something kept him from telling her. Was it possibly because he didn’t want to end their relationship by revealing he was her son? “It’s...complicated,” he mustered. Lily walked over to the chair opposite Harry, staring into his eyes.



“Harry, there’s something you want to tell me, isn’t there?” she asked softly. Harry nodded.



“I just...can’t,” Harry said. “I don’t think you can handle the truth.”



Before Lily could press the matter any more, the portrait burst open again, and James, Peter and Remus walked into the common room.



“Harry, that was amazing!” James said. “How did you...” He saw Lily sitting across from Harry, and his smile fell. “Oh, I get it,” he said sullenly, and turned to walk back out of the portrait hole. Remus and Peter looked at Harry and Lily for a moment, curious, before following James back out of the common room.



“Sorry,” Harry said, getting up to leave. “I shouldn’t be talking to you.”



“It’s okay,” Lily said, motioning for him to sit down. “James may like me, but that doesn’t mean I like him back. But you...” She broke off, turning her gaze to the floor. Harry also felt his face getting warm.



“Lily,” Harry said, “do you want to...” Harry couldn’t believe himself. Was he actually asking his mother out on a date? He sighed, unable to finish his question.



There was an awkward silence for a few seconds, then Lily finally stood up. “Well, I’d better go,” she said, her voice slightly higher than usual. “Better not be too late for Potions.” With that, she walked out of the common room, leaving Harry feeling very hurt and confused.



***



Author’s Note: So Harry has developed feelings for Lily! Will the feeling last? Who knows (but me)? Well, leave a review please, and thanks for reading!
Confrontations by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Here's a nice treat for you...just before the queue closed today, this was validated! Enjoy, and I hope you'll be reading DH in about 30 hours' time... oooh, I can hardly stand it!!!


During his second detention, Harry kept his distance from Lily, not wanting to push things too far. Who knew what would happen if he didn’t get out of the way and let James marry Lily? Not only that, James wasn’t speaking to him, and he needed to make sure he wasn’t on his father-to-be’s bad side. Instead of working towards Lily, Harry slowly scrubbed in a line towards James.

“James?” Harry said tentatively, watching his teenaged father scrub the floor wordlessly. He waited for an answer, and not getting one, he decided to continue. “I know you’re probably mad that I’m getting in the way between you and Lily...”

James finally looked up to meet his future son’s gaze. “I’m not mad,” he said, sighing. “I’m just curious as to why you want to be with your mother if you don’t want to change that part of history?”

It was a valid question, and Harry sighed. “Well...” he said, thinking quickly. “I just want to get to know my mum more. You know, before she’s actually my mum, and she doesn’t want to open up to me as much.”

“No,” James said firmly. “Don’t lie to me, Harry. You and I both know there’s something more there. And I’ll let you decide what you want for your future, and if that means getting together with Lily, that’s your loss.” With that said, James picked up his things and moved to a different spot of the hall.

Harry contemplated that thought, a new idea suddenly formulating in his mind. If that means getting together with Lily... What if he did? It was crazy, but it became clearer as Harry thought it over more. What if he stayed in the past forever? He wouldn’t have to worry about Voldemort anymore...he could be with his loved ones...Lily would no longer be his mother, but his wife...This is crazy! Harry thought, shaking the thought out of his head. You hardly know her, and you’re thinking of marriage? She belongs to James!

Harry battled with his mind for much more of the night, and finally, at three in the morning, they were finished. Everyone had formed blisters on their palms from scrubbing for so long, and they slumped against the wall, exhausted. As if on cue, Filch unlocked the doors and walked into the hall, examining their work. “Good work,” he said curtly. “You may all go now.” Relieved, everyone trudged out of the hall to the dormitories to sleep.

As everyone was walking sleepily towards their beds, Harry contemplated his next move. Should he tell Ron and Hermione of his new plan to stay behind? Or would he even do so at all? He made the decision to not tell Ron and Hermione until he was sure what he would do, but he knew he needed to first learn how to perform adequate Memory Charms before he did anything rash to give himself away. He decided that, at breakfast, he would confront Hermione and ask her for help.

***

“Actually, Harry, I’ve already looked into the matter myself,” Hermione replied after Harry had asked for her help in learning Memory Charms. They were in the Great Hall, and Harry had just joined Ron and Hermione for breakfast.

“Really?” Harry asked, surprised. “I thought that you wouldn’t want to help, after...well, you know...” At this, Ron turned a delicate shade of pink, hiding his face by leaning over the table.

“Well, I figure that if you’re going to change the past, and I can’t stop you, I should at least make sure you don’t screw everything up,” Hermione said, somewhat cheerfully. She pulled a large book out of her bag and dropped it on the table, making everyone around them jump. Hermione turned pages in it until she found the marked page, then showed it to Harry.

“It’s fairly complicated,” Hermione said, pointing out the various instructions to Harry, “but nothing you couldn’t handle. You already know the incantation, of course “ as Lockhart tried to use it on you before “ but in order to only eliminate parts of one’s memory, you have to take certain precautions first.”

“Such as...?” Harry asked.

“Well, like making sure you don’t erase the important parts of a memory,” Hermione told him. “Imagine if you wiped out James’ entire memory of academics in his sixth year. He would have to retake his sixth year, which certainly wouldn’t appeal to Lily. Speaking of which, have you told Lily anything?”

“No,” Harry murmured. He was trying to get around to it, but he just couldn’t muster up the willpower to break their relationship thus far.

“Well, then you should concentrate on only James for now,” Hermione said. “As long as no one else finds out your secret, you should be fine with just James. Now...”

And Hermione proceeded to give Harry an overview of the complications surrounding the spell. Harry tried to pay attention, but he found himself looking around restlessly, looking for an excuse to leave the table. “...so as you can probably imagine, you must be very careful,” Hermione finished breathlessly. “Does that make any sense?”

“Yeah,” Harry said quickly, not looking at Hermione. “Listen, could we practice this later, like in an empty classroom or something? I should be able to practice while I’m learning.”

“Of course!” Hermione said brightly, earnest to teach Harry something. “I have a lot of homework today, but maybe another night, after I’ve read up on it a bit more, we could...?”

“That’d be great,” Harry said. He got up from the table and walked out of the Hall for Charms.

As the day went by, Harry felt very lonely. Ron and Hermione were content with being alone, the Marauders weren’t speaking to Harry, and he didn’t want to spend any more time with Lily for the time being. Harry went through the day, very bored, and unable to concentrate. It wasn’t until Potions, when Professor Slughorn told everyone to get a partner, that Harry interacted with anyone.

Ron and Hermione paired up, of course, as did all four Marauders with each other. Lily joined with one of her friends, which left Harry alone. For the first time, Harry had no partner. “Mr. Potter...no partner, then?” Slughorn boomed. “You will work with...Severus.”

Harry started when he heard this. Me and Snape, work together? he thought with disgust, then an evil thought came to his mind. Why not give Snape a little trouble for the six years of misery he’d caused Harry at Hogwarts? He nodded and walked over to Snape’s area, the latter looking utterly revolted to be working with a Gryffindor.

“Hi,” Harry said. “I’m Harry Potter.”

“So I’ve heard,” the young Snape muttered, burying his nose in his textbook. Harry knew he was writing something, and he was interested to see the “Half-Blood Prince” at work.

“So...” Harry said slowly. “I’ve heard you’re good at Potions.” Snape said nothing. “Pretty good with spells too, I understand,” Harry added. “Levicorpus, Sectumsempra...”

This caused Snape to slam his book closed and glare at Harry, who looked unfazed. “How did you know about that?” Snape growled menacingly.

“A certain Prince told me,” Harry said casually, making Snape sniff his nose suspiciously.

“If you’re reading over my shoulder,” Snape muttered, “you should know that those spells are only for my eyes, not yours.”

“Will your Master punish you for using them?” Harry asked. Snape stared at him, horrified, then slowly returned to his book, nervously closing it tightly so only he could (barely) see. Harry smirked.

The potion they were supposed to be making was fairly complicated, so Harry just sat back and let Snape do most of the work, which was fine with both of them. As Harry watched Snape carefully but quickly stir and mix ingredients in the cauldron, another sinister idea forming in his mind. He grabbed a pile of the nearest ingredient to him, which happened to be dittany, and dropped it into the cauldron when no one was looking.

The result was instantaneous. The potion turned brown and bubbly, and it started pouring over the side of the cauldron. “What?!” Snape said, not knowing what had gone wrong. They both pushed their seats back as the potion began spilling all over the floor. Slughorn strolled over as quickly as he could and Vanished the potion.

“What happened here?” he asked. “I’m afraid that there is no more time to finish this, boys. You will have to fail this potion.”

Harry was quite pleased by what he’d done, but Snape looked livid. He had apparently never failed anything at Potions before. When the bell rang, Harry instantly jumped up, put his stuff in his bag, and headed up to the common room for break, where Snape could not confront him.

“Harry, what was that all about with you and Snape back there?” Ron asked, as he and Hermione got to the common room behind him.

Harry smirked. “I decided to have a little fun with the Half-Blood Prince,” he replied coolly. Ron laughed, but Hermione looked concerned.

“You should be careful with what you do, Harry,” she warned. “You don’t want to cause too much trouble.” Harry laughed; she had no idea what he was planning for Snape, and hopefully she never would.

“Lay off of him, ‘Mione,” Ron chastised, clapping Harry on the back. “Wouldn’t you want to get a little revenge on someone who made your life horrible?”

“No!” Hermione replied indignantly, and it was Harry’s turn to laugh.

“Your loss, then,” Ron said simply. Hermione huffed and walked out of the common room, mumbling something about the library.

“At least she’s useful there,” Harry commented, watching her go.

Ron cleared his throat. “So...Harry...” he asked nervously. “Have you talked to James about changing anything yet?”

“Yeah, I have,” Harry told him, making Ron’s eyebrows raise in surprise. “In fact, we already have a plan for getting rid of Snape.”

“Excellent!” Ron said, smirking. “What’re you gonna do, blow up a potion in his face?”

“Nope,” Harry said. He then proceeded to tell Ron about their plan to let Snape die “accidentally” by werewolf. Ron nodded slowly.

“You know, if it was anyone else, I might actually worry about that,” he said. “But it is a bit...well...immoral, you know?”

“Yeah, I know,” Harry said glumly. “But it’s a small loss compared to four loved ones dead and a Dark wizard after me.”

“True, that,” Ron commented, nodding again. “Well, do you have any idea when Sirius is gonna talk Snape into following Lupin into the Whomping Willow?” he asked.

“A couple of days; a week at most,” Harry said casually.

“How do you reckon?” Ron inquired, confused.

“Simple,” Harry said, leaning back in his chair. “I’m gonna tell him to.”
Holding Back by PEMDAS
Harry knew James needed to be informed of his plan, so he would have to break the silence between them at last. He needed to talk to James without Sirius, Remus or Peter butting in. His chance came during Charms on the Tuesday of the following week...Sirius was back in the Hospital Wing after he and James got into a duel during break and ended up with wings growing out of his stomach. Thus, Remus and Peter paired up to practice a charm, Ron and Hermione paired up, Lily and a friend paired up, and Harry and James were partner-less. Harry walked over and sat next to James, who said nothing.

They were supposed to be Vanishing a rat and making it reappear in a cage Flitwick had set out in the center of the room, yet Harry and James made no effort to do so. “James?” Harry said tentatively, but got no response. “James, listen,” Harry said forcibly, “I’m not seeing Lily anymore.”

James turned to look at him at last. “So you admit you were with her?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No!” Harry said immediately. “Well, I mean...I started to ask her out, but then I realized it was a mistake and...we sort of separated.”

“Fair enough,” James said gruffly. He managed to Vanish his rat, but he accidentally (or maybe not, Harry realized) made it reappear on Flitwick’s head, causing the short professor to topple over with surprise.

“James,” Harry said in an undertone, “It’s full moon. I think we’re going to carry out our plan tonight.”

That got James’ full attention. “Really?” he said. “But...did Sirius tell Snivellus to go after Remus already?”

“No,” Harry said, “but I think we can persuade him to. Here’s what we’ll do...”

***

“Padfoot!” James greeted his friend as he and Harry entered the Hospital Wing that afternoon. Sirius had bandages all across his stomach, but otherwise, he looked perfectly fine.

“Well, if it isn’t Prongs,” Sirius said, grinning. “What’s up?”

“D’you know when you’re getting out of here?” James asked, looking around.

“Madam Pomphrey told me I should be able to go in about two hours, when the feathers disintegrate in my stomach,” Sirius said, wincing slightly. “Why; what’s up?”

James leaned in close so Madam Pomphrey and the other patients couldn’t hear him. “Harry came up with the perfect prank to play on Snivellus tonight,” he whispered. Sirius’ eyebrows raised and he glanced at Harry before returning his gaze to James.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Let Harry tell you,” James said, looking to Harry expectantly, and Sirius did the same. Harry cleared his throat.

“Well,” he said, “I thought that, since it’s full moon tonight, we could tell Sniv...er, Snape, that Remus is a werewolf, and tell him how to stop the Whomping Willow from moving, and see what happens.”

“Brilliant!” Sirius breathed, and Harry felt a twang of guilt. He knew that what they were doing was wrong, yet he had to go along with it in order to save Dumbledore’s future life. “So who’s gonna tell him?” Sirius asked, looking from James back to Harry.

“Well,” James said slowly, “we figured...since you’re the master of secrecy around here...”

“You want me to do it?” Sirius asked, smirking. “I’m in?”

“Good,” James said, nodding. “You’ll probably find Snivelly under the old oak by the lake, reading or doing homework or something.”

Sirius laughed, and Harry forced himself to do the same, although he had a very bad feeling about all of this....

***

“Hey, Severus!” Sirius called out, as he walked towards the boy sitting cross-legged under the oak. James and Harry, who were watching from a safe distance, were surprised: it was apparently the first time any of the Marauders had called Snape by his real name. Snape looked up from his book and frowned, looking up at Sirius.

“What do you want, Black?” he snarled.

“Whoa, easy,” Sirius said, holding out his hands to show he was wandless. “I want to tell you something...”

Snape considered him for a moment. “What?” he finally snapped.

“I just wanted to tell you that Remus Lupin is a werewolf,” Sirius blurted out, and both Harry and James slapped their foreheads. So much for subtlety...

“What?” Snape said, confused. “Lupin, a werewolf?”

“You’ve never noticed him leaving the grounds every full moon, then?” Sirius asked, smirking. “Or did you believe the story that he was taking Remedial Herbology with Sprout?”

“I’ve always thought that was suspicious,” Snape muttered to himself, then looked back up at Sirius. “Where does he go?”

“The Shrieking Shack,” Sirius replied. “There’s a secret entrance into it from under the Whomping Willow.

Snape thought about this. “And why are you telling me this?” he asked suspiciously.

“I...uh...” Sirius was obviously thinking fast. “I was dared to,” he said quickly. “By James.”

Snape didn’t appear to buy it. “What, you want me to get killed by the Whomping Willow then, is that it? Well, it’s not happening.” With that, he went back to his book.”

Sirius leaned in closer to Snape. “I know how to make the tree stop in its tracks,” he said. “So you can slip through.”

“What, I suppose a Freezing charm will just stop it cold, then?” Snape said, laughing humorlessly.

“Nope,” Sirius replied matter-of-factly. “There’s a knot at the base of the tree, and if you poke it with a long stick, it’ll freeze the whole tree.”

Snape looked at him, his face unreadable. Sirius apparently saw that his job was done. “Well, you can use the information any way you’d like, but that was all James made me do...” And he walked away briskly, leaving Snape to his thoughts.

“Brilliant work, Padfoot,” James said, giving his friend a high-five as he joined up with them. Harry grinned, as well...Sirius had recovered nicely from his mistake back with Snape.

“Now all we do is wait,” Harry said, and James and Sirius nodded. They all walked back up to the common room, anticipating the night ahead.

***

Just after sunset, Madam Pomphrey arrived for Remus. After she and Remus had left the common room, James, Sirius and Harry came down from the dormitories, James holding the Invisibility Cloak under his arm. “Now all we have to do is...” Harry started, but stopped cold; Peter was standing in front of them.

“We going to join Remus or what?” he asked quizzically.

“Not tonight, Wormtail,” Sirius said. “We have to go...uh...”

“To the library,” Harry interjected quickly. “We need to ‘borrow’ a book from the Restricted Section to study.”

“I wanna go!” Peter said excitedly.

“Sorry, Wormtail,” James said, with fake empathy. “The Cloak can’t hold us all, and we can’t transform because Harry can’t...”

Sirius and Peter looked at Harry in shock. Harry and James had forgotten; Sirius, Peter and Remus had no idea what Harry knew about them.

“Long story,” Harry said, and he led the way out of the common room, leaving a very confused Peter behind them.

“How DO you know that, Harry?” Sirius asked.

Harry was thinking fast once again. “James told me,” he finally said. “I kept bugging him about it, and he finally broke down and told me you were Animagi.”

“Prongs!” Sirius exclaimed, horrified. “I thought we all agreed to keep that a secret!”

“We can trust Harry, Padfoot,” James said.

“Why?” Sirius asked, exasperated. “You never told me why you treat Harry like he’s been with us for years...”

“It’s a long story,” Harry cut in. “I’ll have to tell you later. We sort of...know each other.”

Sirius was still confused, and was silent until they reached the old oak on the ground, about fifty meters from the Whomping Willow. Madam Pomphrey and Remus were walking towards it, Madam Pomphrey conjuring a long stick out of midair. As she was prodding the knot with it, Sirius nudged Harry and James. They saw Snape silently slip out of the castle doors, walking silently to the Whomping Willow.

It wasn’t curfew yet, so there were still some students walking around grounds. No one took any notice of Madam Pomphrey and Remus, because if they were close enough to recognize them, they would’ve been pummeled by the tree. They saw Remus start to shake and transform, and Madam Pomphrey ushered him into the hole under the tree, returning quickly to the castle. As she did so, Snape ran past her once her back was to him, and rushed up to the tree. Right before the branches began swaying again, he slipped into the hole after Remus.

For a few seconds, Harry, Sirius and James waited, watching the hole intently. Suddenly, a large roar from Remus filled the grounds, followed by a blood-curdling scream. Everyone on the grounds looked around for the source, and once they realized it, they gathered around the Whomping Willow, staring at it, wondering what was happened. Madam Pomphrey noticed the commotion and rushed back to the tree. Harry, James and Sirius did the same, running up to join the crowd.

“Out of the way!” Madam Pomphrey ordered, brandishing her wand and conjuring another long stick. She quickly prodded the knot in the tree and rushed to the hole, peering into it and withdrawing quickly. “Someone, quickly, go and get Dumbledore!” she ordered. Harry and Sirius were feeling a bit sick at this point, and Harry noticed Sirius had turned pale. Sirius raised his hand quickly to volunteer and ran up to the castle in a full sprint, headed for Dumbledore’s office.

The screaming had stopped. Madam Pomphrey took a deep breath and dropped into the hole. They heard another roar from Remus, and Madam Pomphrey shouted a spell, and the roaring stopped. After a few seconds of frightful silence from the crowd that had gathered, Madam Pomphrey emerged, dragging Snape behind her. She quickly conjured a large blanket to shield the body from the crowd, and everyone was extremely scared.

“What is that thing?” a female voice asked, and Harry and James turned to see Lily, who was also pale and shaking.

“It is something not to be discussed among you students,” Madam Pomphrey said shortly, her voice shaking. Just then, Sirius sprinted back, out of breath, with Professor Dumbledore right behind him.

“What has happened here?” Dumbledore asked, very concerned.

“A student has been attacked,” Madam Pomphrey, “by...” She whispered something to Dumbledore, which James and Harry took to be telling Dumbledore about the werewolf.

Dumbledore quickly approached the blanket, carefully opening the blanket so only he could see under it. He pulled out his wand and muttered a spell, and a bright light momentarily blinded everyone, and then stood back up again. “Dead,” he announced gravely, and several students screamed and began crying.

Dumbledore held up a hand for silence. “Everyone return to your common rooms immediately,” Dumbledore ordered, and everyone turned to go. “Except for you.” He pointed to Harry. Harry nodded and bade farewell to James, who was still slightly shaken, and as everyone else walked up to the castle, Harry joined Dumbledore and Madam Pomphrey near Snape’s body.

“You may go, Poppy,” Dumbledore said. “I will take care of the body.” Madam Pomphrey nodded sullenly, and followed the students up to the castle.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said once she was out of earshot, “I seem to remember you telling me something that happens in my future concerning Mr. Snape here,” he said, gesturing to the covered body. “Something tells me this was not a natural occurrence.”

“What do you mean?” Harry said, trying to feign innocence.

“I think you know what I mean, Harry,” Dumbledore said sternly, his blue eyes boring into Harry’s green ones. “You had a hand in Mr. Snape’s death tonight, didn’t you?”

Harry thought about lying, but realized it was no use. “Yeah,” he said finally. “But technically, we didn’t kill him...”

“Harry, Harry,” Dumbledore said quietly, “you have no idea what you are doing by killing my students. You know perfectly well Mr. Snape’s death would not have occurred had you not done something. I am immensely disappointed in you.”

“Am I going to be expelled?” Harry asked quietly.

Dumbledore took a deep breath. “No,” he said finally. “The Ministry of Magic actually has no idea you, Mr. Weasley, and Ms. Granger are here, Harry. I never officially enrolled you in Hogwarts. I cannot expel you, or there will be an inquiry as to what you were doing at Hogwarts, and I wish to avoid that.” Harry was immensely relieved.

“However...” Dumbledore wasn’t finished. “I must say I am very, very disappointed, Harry, and I wish that you will make wiser decisions in the future, or else I may be forced to intervene.” Without warning, Dumbledore walked back to the castle, levitating Snape’s body in front of him, leaving Harry alone with his thoughts.
Morning of Mourning by PEMDAS
The next morning, everyone but the students that were on the grounds during Snape’s death were surprised to find that, upon entering the Great Hall for breakfast, black banners had been draped from the walls, and there was an air of quietness throughout the Hall. Everyone at the Head table had very grim expressions on their face, and everyone could tell something bad had happened.

Harry was one of the few that knew what had actually happened. He noticed, however, that none of the four Marauders were present. Harry figured Remus was sleeping after another night of wreaking havoc in the Shrieking Shack, Peter was still in the Hospital Wing with a mild fever, but he didn’t know where Sirius and James were. Before he could think about this any more, Dumbledore stood up, and everyone’s hushed whispers ceased.

“As some of you may know,” Dumbledore said, “last night a terrible thing has happened on our school’s grounds. A student wandered too close to the Whomping Willow last night, and was most unfortunately killed in doing so.” At first, Harry wondered why Dumbledore had said it was the tree that had killed Snape, then realized that he, Ron, Hermione and the Marauders were the only students that knew Remus was a werewolf. Dumbledore was probably drawing attention away from the fact that a werewolf was at Hogwarts.

“This student was Severus Snape,” Dumbledore said gravely. This drew mixed reactions from the crowd; some of the Slytherins that had known him looked horrified; students from the other Houses looked slightly relieved that it wasn’t someone they knew that had died. Dumbledore continued: “I know most of you didn’t know him, or possibly disliked him, but I must ask that you take some time this morning and acknowledge the passing of a great Hogwarts student.” He raised his glass, and everyone else grudgingly raised theirs, as well.

“To Severus Snape,” Dumbledore said, and everyone murmured the same, drinking in memory to him. “At this time, Professor Slughorn would like to say a few words.” Dumbledore gestured to his fellow professor, who stood up as Dumbledore sat.

“I probably knew Severus better than anyone else here, including students,” Slughorn said in a strained voice, obviously saddened by Snape’s death. “He was probably my hardest worker, and also one of my top students. He was a brilliant potion-maker, and never hesitated to ask questions...” As Slughorn went on about Snape, Harry looked around, and saw that almost no one was paying attention, except for some of the few at the Slytherin table that had somewhat befriended Snape.

Finally, after another minute of giving praise to Snape, Slughorn sat down, wiping his eyes, and Dumbledore stood up again. “I have one more request,” Dumbledore said, and everyone looked up at him again. “I wish that you do not tell this to anyone,” said Dumbledore. “No letters home to parents, no talking to workers in Hogsmeade, and especially no drawing media attention. We wish to keep this horrible event quiet for the time being.”

Everyone murmured their consent, and Dumbledore nodded. “Now, in light of this event, all classes are hereby cancelled for today.” That finally got everyone’s attention, excited chatter sprung up again as Dumbledore sat down, and the food appeared on everyone’s plate.

Ron and Hermione, as it turned out, had figured out what had happened. When Harry turned to talk to them, Hermione looked near tears and Ron looked perplexed. “I know you had something to do with his death, Harry,” she said angrily. “I checked; it was full moon last night.”

“So? It could’ve been a coincidence,” Harry said, shrugging.

“We’re not as thick as you think, Harry,” Ron told him firmly. “Snape wouldn’t have died if you hadn’t done anything, remember?”

Ouch. Harry had forgotten that. “Okay, fine,” he said irritably. “So maybe I twisted things a little. I thought you said I could do what I wanted!”

“Yes, but killing students...” Hermione was obviously appalled at Harry’s actions. “You don’t know what you’re doing!”

“Snape killed Dumbledore!” Harry said through gritted teeth. “What could possibly go wrong in the future by killing the murderer of the greatest wizard of all time?”

“Harry, Ron and I have been thinking about this,” Hermione said quietly. “Have you ever considered the possibility that Snape killed Dumbledore for a reason?”

“Because he was a Death Eater,” Harry said simply. “What other explanation is there?”

“You told us halfway through sixth year that Snape told Malfoy that he’d made an Unbreakable Vow to Malfoy’s mum,” Ron said. Maybe...since Draco was ordered to kill Dumbledore, and Snape made the Vow to protect him...perhaps he made the Vow to kill Dumbledore if Draco couldn’t...?”

“That’s completely...” Harry started, intending to finish with “stupid”, but then realized this could be true. “...possible,” he finished, stunned momentarily.

“And when we took the Felix Felicis,” Hermione pressed on, “don’t you think Luna and I could’ve stopped Snape from getting up to the Astronomy Tower? If we were truly lucky, we would’ve been able to stop him! If he was evil...he couldn’t have made it to the Tower past me and Luna.”

Harry was incredibly confused now. He stared at Hermione and Ron, dumbstruck.

“Mate,” Ron said, “you just killed the only link between the Death Eaters and the Order of the Phoenix.”

Harry felt very queasy now; he realized how stupid he had been to kill Snape. Even if Snape was evil, he had no right to kill him before he even got into the Dark Arts! He got up from the table and ran from the hall, feeling sick.

He ran up to Gryffindor Tower, gasped the password to the Fat Lady, then ran up to the dormitories. He needed to lie down. But as he entered the dormitory, he realized he wasn’t alone...James and Sirius were both lying on their beds, looking forlornly at the ceiling. “What’s up?” Harry said weakly, flopping onto his own bed, sighing. “Post-death blues?”

“You mean post-murder?” Sirius said in a strained voice. A lump formed in Harry’s throat as he remembered: Sirius thinks he’s responsible for getting Snape killed, even though it was James’ and mine idea!

“You didn’t murder him, Sirius,” James said, which was apparently something he’d said several times in the past few minutes. “It was me and Harry’s idea.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t have to listen to you guys,” Sirius said sadly. “I didn’t have to actually tell him about Remus.”

“But...” James started, but Harry sat up and cut him off.

“Sirius, I think there’s something we should tell you,” he said, sighing. “I’m not from this time, Sirius. I’m from the future.”

Sirius looked at Harry oddly, looking like he wanted to laugh, but he frowned when he saw James’ face, which hadn’t shown visible surprise. “What do you mean?” Sirius asked, sitting up as well to face Harry. “You’re from the future?”

“Yeah,” Harry said, nodding sadly. “When I left the future, it was summer of 1997...then that night that Ron, Hermione and I walked into the Hall, we’d just been transported to this time.”

Sirius looked surprised, yet curious. “How did you get here?” he asked. Harry then proceeded to explain to Sirius (and James as well, who hadn’t heard this part of the story) about Hermione’s theory that the leather binding the photo album of his parents was a time-traveling device, and something he’d said got them stuck here. James and Sirius nodded slowly. “Who were your parents?” Sirius asked, then gasped in realization and turned his head to look at James, then back to Harry.

“Yeah, James is my dad,” Harry said. “Or, was. He was murdered by Lord Voldemort when I was a year old. So was my mum.”

Sirius looked at James in dismay. “James dies?” he asked, incredulously. He began counting on his fingers. “So if you’re from 1997...and you’re our age...you were one year old in 1981...so James only has five years to live?”

Harry nodded, and Sirius turned white. “There’s more,” Harry said. He went on to describe the events surrounding his birth, including the prophecy made about him and Voldemort and the Potters going into hiding, and Sirius being their Secret-Keeper, and also Harry’s godfather. Sirius stopped him for a moment. “If I was Secret-Keeper and your godfather, your mum must’ve trusted me, too,” he said. “Who was it?”

“Lily Evans,” Harry said softly, and Sirius shot a look at James, who hadn’t reacted. After a few seconds of looking gleeful, Sirius resumed his solemn state and listened to the rest of Harry’s story. Harry told of how Peter had convinced the three of them to make him Secret-Keeper, then betrayed them to Voldemort. Sirius flinched slightly, as though wanting to go search out Peter right that moment, but stayed seated.

Harry sighed. He told Sirius of how, after the murder, he’d confronted Peter in a crowded street, and Peter made a show of accusing Sirius of murder of the Potters, and then blew up half the street, leaving as a rat to let Sirius take the blame. “...and you were...you were chucked into Azkaban for twelve years,” Harry finished. Sirius’ eyes went wide.

“Azkaban?” he said weakly. “For twelve years? Most people don’t survive for a few weeks...”

“Your future self told me that the only thing keeping you alive was the thought that you were innocent,” Harry explained, and Sirius nodded slowly in understanding. Harry then told of how Sirius had seen Peter’s picture as a rat in the Daily Prophet with the Weasleys, and escaped. Everyone thought he was after Harry, to finish what he started twelve years ago, but was actually after Peter. He told of the end of his third year, when Sirius and Remus caught Peter in the Shrieking Shack and almost killed him, before Harry stopped them and inadvertently let him escape back to Voldemort, who rose back to power the next year.

This was when it got tough. Harry sighed. “Well, the Order of the Phoenix used your old parents’ house as headquarters,” he told Sirius, “and Dumbledore ordered you to stay there, since you were still a convicted murderer.” Harry then explained that, when he was lured into the Department of Mysteries by Voldemort, Sirius couldn’t resist not coming to fight the Death Eaters. “Then,” Harry said, “you were dueling with Bellatrix Lestrange...and she cast a spell that made you fall through a stone archway.” Sirius didn’t comprehend that, so Harry elaborated: “You died, Sirius.”

Sirius sat digesting that information, then stood up suddenly. “What are you doing?” James asked, standing up also.

“Going to kill Bellatrix Lestrange,” Sirius said quietly, then crossed the room to the door. He found, however, that it wouldn’t budge: Harry had locked it with Colloportus.

“Sirius, listen,” Harry said, “we killed Snape for a reason. And there will be something coming to Lestrange, too.” He explained that Snape had been a Death Eater, and killed Dumbledore. “We thought it would be a good idea to kill Snape, since we were saving Dumbledore’s life,” Harry explained.

“Well, wasn’t it?” James asked, suddenly confused.

“I just realized something, back at breakfast,” Harry said, sighing. “Snape killed Dumbledore because he was under an Unbreakable Vow. He was actually working for the Order, and was only being a spy for the Order and saving his own life, not killing for the sake of Voldemort.” James and Sirius looked at him, appalled.

“So what are you going to do?” Sirius asked.

“I just have to keep going with my plan, and hope I haven’t destroyed things in the future. I still need to find a way to eliminate Peter, for killing James and Lily, and Bellatrix, for killing you. And I guess it would also be a good idea to expose the rest of the future Death Eaters currently at the school, too.”

Sirius nodded. “So I guess I should tell Remus, too,” he said. “He’s in the library right now, doing homework, and I happen to know that Peter hates staying in the library for more than ten minutes, so Remus should be alone.” Sirius pulled out his wand, unlocked the dormitory door, and walked out of it, off to the library to find James.

As the door closed behind Sirius, a feeling of horror filled Harry’s body. As the door closed, Harry caught a glimpse of something small slipping through the crack just before it closed.

Something that looked very much like a rat.


Author's Note: I bet you all hate me after that cliffhanger! You'll have to wait until Ch. 12 is validated to find out what is going on...thanks for reading; please review!
Ratted Out by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Can't stand the suspense of the last cliffhanger? Find out what happens in chapter 12...-


Harry stood up and ran over to the door, heart thumping. “What?” James asked, suddenly alarmed. “Did you forget to tell Sirius something?”

“No,” Harry said breathlessly, throwing open the door again and whipping out his wand. “I think I saw a rat slip out the door, just now.” He sprinted down the spiral staircase, in search of the culprit. Finding none, he spun around in circles a few times in the common room, looking, drawing stares from others. James also came down from the dormitories, breathlessly looking around, as well.

“I’ll go search the Hospital Wing,” James muttered, and ran out of the common room, in search of Peter. Harry ran out as well, down to the library, to inform Sirius of what he’d seen.

When he wheeled around the corner to the library at last, after being reprimanded by Madam Pince for running, he spotted Remus, sitting quietly and doing homework. “Hey, Harry,” Remus said, acknowledging Harry and returning to his work. “Need something?”

“Where’s Sirius?” Harry demanded, breathing hard.

Remus looked up again. “Haven’t seen him at all today,” he replied. “What’s up? You look like you’ve just sprinted through half of the castle.”

“I have...” Harry began, but just then, he saw Sirius walk casually into the library. He ran over to him, panicking slightly. “Sirius!” he exclaimed.

“What?” Sirius asked. “I thought I was going to tell Remus about the...”

“Forget that for now,” Harry said quickly. “We have an emergency...after you left, I saw a rat slip out of the door. A rat.

Sirius’ eyes grew wide. “You don’t mean...”

“Is someone going to explain, or do I have to wait until you finish your little conversation?” Remus said loudly. Harry and Sirius ignored him, and sprinted out of the library, amid more shouting of protest from Madam Pince.

They didn’t stop until they reached the floor on which the Hospital Wing was. As they ran for the entrance, James walked out casually, and upon seeing them, walked over to them. “Relax,” James said, putting up both hands to signal them to stop. Harry and Sirius skidded to a stop, breathing very hard.

“Where “ Peter “ not in “ library “” Harry wheezed.

“Guys, I just saw Peter in his bed in there,” James explained calmly. “Madam Pomphrey said he’s been sleeping for nearly two hours now.”

“He must’ve “ been “ faking,” Sirius breathed, gasping.

“Couldn’t have,” James said, sighing. “She’d just given him Sleeping Potion. Said that he’d been up all night coughing and needed sleep. No one can withstand a Sleeping Potion. He hasn’t left the Hospital Wing.”

Harry didn’t understand. “Rats don’t just happen into boys’ dormitories!” he exclaimed, getting his breath back. “Especially at Hogwarts!”

“Well, I don’t know how, but it must’ve just been coincidence,” James said, shrugging. “I even asked Travis Holliday, the second-year in the bed next to Peter’s, and he said he’s been sleeping the whole time, too. There’s no way he could be in two places at once.”

That seemed to be enough for Sirius, but Harry couldn’t quite get over it. However, he had no reason to suspect Peter now, so he let it go for the time being. Meanwhile, he decided to take Hermione up on her offer to teach him Memory Charms. He caught up with her in the library, and, incidentally, she was reading a book called Memory Modification for the Magically Impaired. “Hey, Hermione,” Harry said quietly, and Hermione jumped; she’d obviously been reading without interruption for some time.

“Oh, hello Harry,” she sighed, rubbing her eyes.

“Why the sudden interest in learning so fast?” Harry asked. “We don’t have to do the lessons right away...”

“Well,” Hermione said, sighing and looking suddenly serious, “after the incident with Snape, I figured it was best for you to learn as quickly as possible, just in case you do something that forces you to get back into the future as fast as possible.”

“Fair enough,” Harry said, shrugging. “How soon can we start?”

“Whenever you’d like!” Hermione exclaimed excitedly.

“Good,” Harry said quickly. “How about tonight?”

***

At seven ’o clock, Harry walked into the Room of Requirement, where he found Hermione reading her textbook again. In fact, the walls were lined with bookshelves full of books about memory modification, and “ to Harry’s surprise “ a house-elf.

“Hermione?” Harry asked, and she looked up and smiled.

“What is it, Harry?” she asked brightly.

“Why is there a house-elf here?” Harry asked her. “Am I going to be practicing on him? I thought you were against house-elf mistreatment!”

“First of all, it’s a she,” Hermione said, and the house-elf glared at Harry. “Second of all, I do believe in promoting the welfare of house-elves. And third, you’ll be practicing on me...Tipsy here is just going to be here to make sure you don’t accidentally wipe my whole memory. House-elves can restore memory, you know.”

“O-kay,” Harry said slowly. “So, what should we do first?”

“Well, first of all,” Hermione said, launching straight into her “lesson”, “you need to learn the basics. For instance, in order to modify certain parts of a memory, you need to know exactly what you want to change.”

“Easy,” Harry said simply. “My meeting him.”

“It’s not that simple, Harry,” Hermione told him. “If you got rid of all the parts of his memory, he’ll forget other parts, too. For instance, the lesson where we had to Vanish the rats and make them reappear in the cage...you and James were talking the whole time. If he forgets his conversation with you, he’ll only remember little snippets of the lesson, which won’t be good in the long run.”

“So, how are we going to avoid that happening?” Harry asked.

“Well,” Hermione said, “when you told me about Slughorn giving Dumbledore the fake Horcrux in sixth year “ OUR sixth year “ it made me wonder if you could put a fake memory in its place inconspicuously. I tested it on Ron yesterday “ I talked to him during Defense Against the Dark Arts, then modified his memory, so he remembered it so it was you talking to him, and not me.”

“No way,” Harry breathed. “You’re saying...it’s possible to change his memory completely so he remembers something else? Like talking to Sirius instead of me, or something?”

“Exactly,” Hermione said, nodding.

Harry grinned in spite of himself. “You really are the smartest witch I’ve ever met,” he said. “Of any age.”

“Oh, you don’t mean that,” Hermione said modestly, but her face had flushed with silent pride.

For the remainder of the lesson, Hermione had Harry practice the spell on her. The first few times, nothing happened. Then, on the seventh try, a golden beam of light hit Hermione, causing her to stagger back a few steps. She looked at Harry, confused.

“Harry? Where are we?” she said, looking around. “Are we still in Charms?”

With a sigh, Tipsy snapped her fingers. Hermione’s eyes slid out of focus. A few seconds later, she shook her head and smiled at Harry.

“That was very good for a first lesson,” she said brightly. “I couldn’t remember anything that had happened this afternoon. Now, try to modify my memory so I think it was Ron in here practicing with me, not you.”

Harry tried for a good half-hour to do this, but the only other thing he managed to do was wipe Hermione’s memory of the past three days completely clean, to be restored by another snap of Tipsy’s fingers. “I think we should stop here, Harry,” Hermione said, putting a few textbooks back on the bookshelves around the room. “We can practice another night. Just practice concentrating on what memories you want James to forget.”

This made Harry realize: he’d also told Sirius his secret. That meant he’d have to modify his memory as well. Exhausted, Harry walked back to the common room with Hermione, walking straight up to the dormitories to sleep.

***

The next day, in the afternoon, Harry decided to confront Peter. The smaller boy had been released from the Hospital Wing an hour earlier. He caught up with Peter in the hallway, walking towards the common room.

“Hey, Peter,” he called out, making Peter jump with fright. He turned around and saw Harry.

“Oh, hi, Harry,” he said. Harry could see that the boy was nervous about something.

“So...have a nice rest in the Hospital Wing?” he asked innocently.

“Oh, yeah,” Peter said. “I feel much better now.”

“Glad to hear it,” Harry said. “Didn’t you accidentally get an overdose of fumes from the Blast-Ended Skrewts in Hagrid’s garden when you snuck out a few days ago?”

“Yeah,” Peter said slowly. “Only I left that part out when I told Madam Pomphrey.”

“I see,” Harry said, nodding slowly. “Hopefully no one ratted on you.”

Peter turned his head sharply to eye Harry. “Hopefully,” he repeated, clearly suspicious of something.

“Yeah,” Harry said, sighing. “Well, see you, Peter...” With that, he walked away, leaving Peter looking slightly confused and suspicious.

However, as soon as he rounded the corner, Harry turned around and peeked around it, watching Peter intently. His suspicion of something going on as soon as he left proved correct...Peter glanced behind him, then transformed into a rat. Instead of scurrying away to another part of the school, as Harry feared, the Animagus just sat there, waiting.

After a good five minutes of waiting, Harry saw another rat come running up to Peter, squeaking. They squeaked a few times back and forth “ talking “ and Harry understood: he hadn’t seen Peter when he’d told Sirius everything...Peter had told another rat to spy on them! Harry was filled with horror as he realized the rat was telling Peter of his plan to get rid of him.

Suddenly, Peter was standing there again, and the second rat scurried away. Peter then pulled two things out of his pocket “ his wand, and the Marauder’s Map. Harry had forgotten about the map completely; it still belonged to the four friends. Peter muttered, “I solemnly swear that I’m up to no good,” and scanned the map. He suddenly stopped and stared at something, then looked up...straight up at Harry.

“You!” Peter hissed, pointing his wand at Harry. Harry stepped away from the corner nonchalantly, not worried.

“Me,” Harry said coolly. “Going to hex me, Wormtail? Are you afraid your master will be angry if I turn you in and you go to Azkaban for life?”

“I don’t care what time you’re from,” Peter snarled, “but you’re not going to turn me in. Not a chance. Expelliarmus!

“Protego!” Harry yelled, pulled his wand from his pocket. He’d had his hand on his wand the whole time, waiting. The spell was knocked harmlessly to the side, evaporating against a wall.

“You want to play that way, Potter?” Peter said, sneering. “Impediment-”

“Tarantallegra!” Harry shouted, waving his wand before Peter could finish the charm. Peter’s legs began dancing wildly about; Harry figured he would have some fun with the boy foolish enough to try to hex the Boy Who Lived. Peter groaned as he attempted to perform the countercharm, but was unable to steady his wand as he flopped about. Harry performed the countercharm for him, laughing as Peter fell over.

“That’s IT!” Peter screamed with anger, getting to his feet. “Crucio!

Harry was so convinced that Peter was incapable of performing an Unforgiveable Curse, so he just laughed. He’d underestimated the smaller boy, forgetting that he was working for Voldemort. He began screaming with pain as Peter hit him with the curse.

“That’s right, Potter, scream,” Peter sneered. “Let’s see how long it takes before you snap...”

Harry was in such pain, he began not caring about anything else. He just wanted the pain to stop. Please, let it stop, he thought, not able to speak in his pain. STOP! As though his thoughts had been answered, the pain was gone...well, not quite. As he fell to the ground, shaking, he still ached all over. He cracked open an eye to see what the source of the disruption of the curse was. Lily was standing over Peter’s unconscious body, wand in hand, looking at Harry with concern.

“Harry, are you all right?” she asked, voice wavering in shock.

“Yeah...I’ve had worse,” Harry said, grimacing as he stood up again. He shook his head vigorously to shake off the fragile feeling all over his body.

“I can’t believe Pettigrew would use an Unforgivable Curse!” Lily said, shaking. “If I hadn’t been here to stop him...I need to go tell someone about this.”

“I’ll come with you,” Harry said. He walked over to Peter’s unconscious form, slinging the smaller boy over his shoulder. He walked behind Lily as she went to find a teacher. The nearest classroom was McGonagall’s, so they walked right into her office, where she was grading papers.

“Hello, Potter, Evans,” McGonagall said, nodding at them. Then she noticed Peter, and stood up. “Oh, my...is he all right?”

“Yeah, I’m sure he’s fine, unfortunately,” Harry said bitterly, dropping Peter unceremoniously into a chair. “He use an Unforgivable Curse on me.”

“He what?” McGonagall said abruptly, walking over to examine Harry. “Are you all right, Potter?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Harry said irritably. If only they knew what sort of stuff I’ve been through, they wouldn’t care about a little Cruciatus Curse, he thought.

“I saw the whole thing, Professor,” Lily said. “From what I saw, Pettigrew was intent on torturing Harry to the point of brain damage.”

“Oh, my,” McGonagall said, voice shaking. “Did you do anything to prompt Pettigrew to do this to you, Potter?”

“Well, ma’am,” Harry said, “I found out he was working for Vold “ uh, the Dark Lord “ and I told him I was going to turn him in.”

Both McGonagall and Lily looked incredulous. “Pettigrew...he is working for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?” McGonagall said.

“Yes, ma’am,” Harry said, nodding.

McGonagall walked straight to her fireplace, throwing a bit of Floo Powder into the grate. “Dumbledore’s office,” she said, and stuck her head into the fire. After a few seconds, she withdrew her head from the fire, and Dumbledore stepped into the office.

“What is happening here?” he asked calmly, looking from McGonagall, to Lily, to Harry, to Peter, back to Harry.

“Pettigrew here attempted used an Unforgivable Curse on Potter here,” McGonagall said, “and Potter claims that Pettigrew is working for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Now, of course, I don’t know if this is true or not, but...”

“I believe him, Minerva,” Dumbledore said immediately, and Harry felt a wave of relief wash over him. “I am going to take Pettigrew with me to the Ministry by Floo Powder, and I’ll ask you, Minerva, to keep this quiet with the other students. Although, you may want to inform Mr. James Potter, Mr. Black, and Mr. Lupin only. Mr. Potter, Miss Evans, I’ll ask you not to tell anyone else.”

“I can tell the other three boys,” Harry offered, and Dumbledore nodded to him.

“Very well,” the elderly wizard said. He hoisted Peter onto his own shoulder, yelled “Ministry of Magic!” and stepped into the fireplace, disappearing in a flurry of green flames.

“You may go, you two,” McGonagall said, signaling to Harry and Lily. “And remember, tell no one but those three.”

“Agreed,” Harry and Lily said together, and walked out of the office. After the door closed, they stood outside the doorway, intent on going separate ways.

“Lily, listen...uh...thanks,” Harry said weakly. “If it hadn’t been for you, I might’ve been tortured to insanity.”

“Don’t mention it,” Lily said. Suddenly, Lily leaned in and gave Harry a quick peck on the cheek. Blushing furiously, Lily then fast-walked away, disappearing out of sight.

Harry, who had been about to gone to find Sirius, James and Remus, now felt a very odd sensation in his stomach. His mother had just kissed him on the cheek! But, somehow, it didn’t seem to bother him. In a trance, Harry walked up to the Gryffindor common room, sitting in front of the fire and staring into the flames.

Once again, he didn’t know what to think.
Requests by PEMDAS
The next morning, the students of Hogwarts students, still fresh off of Snape’s death, were surprised to find news of the imprisonment of a Hogwarts students as they went to breakfast the next morning. Harry walked over to Ron and Hermione, whom he had yet to tell about the capture the previous day, and sat beside them. “Morning,” he said quietly, but they just stared at him.

“Harry...what did you do?” Hermione breathed. “You’re just picking them off like flies now, aren’t you?”

“No,” Harry said truthfully. “I just happened to catch Peter in a hallway, talking to a rat he’d hired to spy on me, and we dueled. He cast the Cruciatus Curse on me, and Li...someone came by and stopped him.”

Hermione gasped, and Ron looked shocked. “He did WHAT?!” she exclaimed. “How can this happen? He’s not even seventeen yet!”

“He worked for Voldemort, Hermione,” Harry snapped. “It’s not like an incredible thing, you know...Malfoy tried to cast it on me in our sixth year once, when we dueled in Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom. He was the same age.”

“Are you okay, mate?” Ron asked quietly, examining Harry’s body. “Did it hurt much?”

“Of course it did,” Harry said, shrugging. “It’s the torture curse, after all. But hey, it’s over, so forget it.”

“I don’t think Dumbledore will forget it, Harry,” Hermione whispered, glancing up at the High Table, where Dumbledore was reading the Daily Prophet.

“We’ll see what everyone’s talking about in a second,” Ron commented, as owls began pouring into the Great Hall. The barn owl that was delivering Harry’s mail arrived, dropping a copy of the Prophet into his lap. Peter’s capture was different from Snape’s death, as Harry knew, because they couldn’t keep it quiet from the Ministry this time, having handed Peter directly over to them. The Prophet had to have been the first in line to get the inside scoop, Harry realized, as he read the front page:

HOGWARTS STUDENT ARRESTED

Peter Pettigrew, a student of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, has been arrested by Ministry officials after performing an Unforgivable Curse on another student at the school.

Pettigrew, 16, apparently got into a duel with said student, becoming frustrated and casting the Cruciatus Curse on him. Another student witnessed the attack, and the two students managed to subdue Pettigrew until staff arrived to take over.

“This is a horrible stain upon the records of our great school,” Professor Minerva McGonagall said to reporters yesterday. “I was the head of Pettigrew’s House, and I never suspected that such a quiet, seemingly harmless boy could be capable of this.”

Upon further investigation, Pettigrew was discovered to be in league with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Although Pettigrew never joined ranks with the Death Eaters, he was charged with exchanging information with other Death Eaters and You-Know-Who himself. Pettigrew will spend up to fifty years of service in Azkaban, assuming he will survive.

Pettigrew’s parents, Travis and Josephine, refused to talk with reporters on the matter, but Pettigrew’s uncle, Robert Pettigrew, got a word in. “Peter was such a great kid,” he said. “He was my nephew, but because I have no children of my own, he was like a son to me. I am just as saddened by this as anyone else is.”

Close to all of the current Death Eaters now at-large have passed through Hogwarts School, including You-Know-Who himself, formerly known as Tom Riddle. However, this is the first time a student has been charged with being in league with You-Know-Who while still in school, and also the first to be in a House other than Slytherin, which was founded by the infamous Salazar Slytherin, another Dark wizard of his time.

Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts, refused to comment as well on the matter of Pettigrew, but did say that (ctd. page 5)


“Congratulations, Harry,” Hermione said dryly, “you made the front page of the Prophet even when no one thinks you exist.”

“Ha, ha,” Harry said. Just then, Professor Dumbledore strolled down the aisle to them.

“Harry,” he said, “may I have a word with you, please, after you finish eating? In my office?”

“Yes, sir,” replied Harry, exchanging nervous glances with Ron and Hermione. It was his own fault, of course, but it still scared him to think of what Dumbledore might do to him for getting two of the students in Hogwarts killed/arrested. Dumbledore, face unreadable, nodded and walked out of the Hall.

Harry spotted Lily reading the paper at the end of the table as his eyes returned from the door, and saw that she was crying. Surprised, he excused himself from the table, and walked over to her, sitting next to her. “Hey,” he said, and Lily looked up at him. Her eyes were watering, but she still grinned at him.

“Hey,” she replied. “You read this yet?” She motioned to the Prophet.

“Yeah,” Harry sighed. “I read it. I noticed they didn’t mention either of us personally, so that’s good...so, what’s up? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I guess,” Lily sighed. “My mom wants me to come home from Hogwarts.”

“Why?” Harry asked, alarmed.

“I dunno,” she said. “She must think someone’s trying to get after me...first my ex-boyfriend dies, and then a boy in my House is arrested...she thought it was James for a while until Peter was convicted.” She laughed humorlessly.

“Well, it is sorta good this all happened, though, right?” Harry offered. “I mean, they both worked for Voldemort...”

Lily gasped, and Harry thought it was because he’d said Voldemort, but she said, “Severus worked for You-Know-Who?”

“Oh...yeah,” Harry said. He’d forgotten that no one knew this yet. “I forgot to tell you, I guess.”

“What is it with you and getting caught up with Dark wizards?” Lily said. “First you find out Severus is a Death Eater and he gets killed, then you find out Peter is, too, and he gets arrested...wait...”

With a jolt, Harry realized Lily was starting to put two and two together. “Well...” he said, clearing his throat. “I need to go see Professor Dumbledore. He wanted to see me, about...yesterday, probably.”

“Right,” Lily said, nodding. When Harry got up from the table and walked away, he thought he heard a faint sob behind him.

***

“Sit down, please, Harry,” Dumbledore said when Harry entered his office. Obliging, Harry sat in the wooden chair across from Dumbledore’s desk, waiting for the inevitable lecture. Instead, Dumbledore looked at him kindly.

“Harry, as you know, I disapprove of your interfering here in the past...but I wish you would have told me that Mr. Snape and Mr. Pettigrew were already in-league with Lord Voldemort. I would have legally been obliged to take action if that was the case.”

“I didn’t know,” Harry replied honestly. “Actually, I don’t know if any of the future Death Eaters at Hogwarts are in-league with him yet...”

“There are more?” Dumbledore replied quickly, leaning forward. “Harry, how many of my students here are already in-league with Voldemort?”

“Well, I don’t know,” Harry said, “but I know which ones will become Death Eaters later...” He rattled off some names, including Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange, Regulus Black, and a few other “minor” Death Eaters. “But what are you going to do with them, sir?” Harry asked. “You can’t just suddenly arrest them out of the blue, can you?”

“No, I can’t,” Dumbledore agreed. “But you can leave this up to me, Harry, trust me.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, nodding.

“That is all,” Dumbledore said, acknowledging for Harry to leave. Harry, surprised that he wasn’t getting in trouble, got up and headed for the door. “Oh, and Harry...” Dumbledore said, and Harry turned around. “Please don’t do anything on your own,” Dumbledore said to him. “I can take care of this.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, but when he closed the door behind him, he felt a fit of rage coming on. Of course...like always...“Be a good boy and don’t do anything rash, Harry”...“Let the adults handle this; you’re just a kid...” “What does HE know?” he yelled at no one in particular as he left the office.

“What does who know?” a voice next to him said. Harry jumped; Remus was standing next to him.

“Oh, hey, Remus,” Harry said. “Where are Sirius and James?”

“Class,” Remus said indifferently. “I heard from Ron and Hermione you would be here, and I had to ask you something...”

“Sure, what is it?” Harry asked.

Remus, hesitated, and then finally asked: “What happens to me in the future?”

Whoa. That was not what Harry was expecting. “What...what do you mean?” Harry asked, not knowing what Remus knew.

“I’m not stupid, Harry,” Remus said, grinning. “I knew from the first day you came here there was something different about you. The Gryffindor logo on your robes is different than mine...you look so much like James...and then, of course, the little incidents happening lately that somehow seem to tie back to you...”

“Oh,” Harry said quietly. “But how did you know?”

“Sirius told me eventually,” Remus said, grinning. “So apparently, in the future, I’m the only Marauder left, except for Peter...who now has landed himself into Azkaban, which is suspicious in itself...”

“Well, you should all survive now,” Harry said. “I’m basically stopping all the people who caused me hell in the future from doing just that, and saving Sirius, James, Lily and Dumbledore from death.”

“I want to help,” Remus said eagerly.

“No need,” Harry said. “Dumbledore said that he would do it himself, and catch all the remaining Death Eaters in the school.”

“So that’s that?” Remus said, cocking his head. “If it was me or James or Sirius, we’d take things into our own hands.”

“Look where it got you,” Harry muttered incoherently under his breath. Remus didn’t notice.

“Anyway, we’d better get to Potions,” Remus said, as the bell rang. “We don’t want to be late...I hear Slughorn is in a pretty bad mood today, because two of his star students are gone.”

“Peter was good at Potions?” Harry asked, confused, as they walked down to the dungeons.

“Well, no,” Remus admitted. “I basically told him what to do, and he got credit for it...while I didn’t have enough time to tell him what to do AND finish mine.” He laughed dryly.

They talked the rest of the way to the dungeons, sitting at a cauldron together. Sirius and James were already there, talking quietly, as were Ron and Hermione, who waved at Harry when they saw him, grinning. Lily walked in right before the bell, her eyes slightly red from crying. For the whole class period, a short-tempered Slughorn had them brew an antidote to Amortenia, a love potion, and yelled at two Slytherins for causing their cauldron to spew sparks.

After class, almost everyone left quickly, not wanting to set Slughorn off again. While Harry was packing his things up, he noticed James walking towards Lily, who was also packing up. Pretending to be diving down to retrieve something, Harry crawled under the desk and inched closer, trying to listen in. It proved to be unnecessary... “NEVER!” Lily burst out at James, making Harry jump and hit his head on the desk.

“What?” James said. “Why? C’mon, Evans, you can’t avoid me forever!”

“You pick the wrong times to ask me, Potter,” Lily snapped. “I will never go out with you.” With that, Lily collected her things and stalked out of the room. Seeing Harry, a dejected James walked over to him and sighed.

“It would be nice to have a little advice on this,” James snapped. “You’re the one that says I’m going to marry her; it doesn’t look like it’ll happen now.”

“Well, you must have done something really good to get her attention,” Harry said. “I mean, something not rigged, and something that doesn’t involve hurting anyone or humiliating them...like saving someone from a broken leg or something...” Suddenly, it all crashed down on Harry in one big realization: the reason Lily had gone out with James is because she’d seen him save Snape from the Whomping Willow!

Harry simultaneously felt fear, because his mother and father might never meet, but also elation. Could it be possible that his previous plan could work? Could he end up staying here, in the past, and getting with Lily...? When that thought crossed his mind, he ran from the dungeons, leaving a confused James behind him.

But Harry didn’t care. There was something he had to do. “Lily!” he called out to the redhead walking towards the Charms classroom, and she turned to look at him.

“Hey, Harry,” she said, smiling weakly.

“Lily,” Harry blurted out, “will you go with me to Hogsmeade in two weeks?”

“Oh,” Lily said, and Harry couldn’t tell what she meant by it. Is she unsure of how to break the news to me, or just surprised? Harry thought desperately, psycho-analyzing everything, as Ron would put it. “Yeah, well, I just told James no...”

“Oh, yeah...I heard that,” Harry said. “So, uh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to...”

“Yes,” Lily said quickly, making Harry stop talking suddenly. “I mean, yes, sure, I’ll go with you,” she said, giggling.

“Well,” Harry said, clapping his hands together, “that’s that. Uh...thanks...” With that, his head spinning wildly, he ran away, leaving a giggling Lily to tell all of her friends what had just happened.



Author’s Note: Okay, it’s happened! Lily and Harry, on a date! Any thoughts? Leave a review! (And please avoid the words “ewww” and “gross” in your review, please... ;) ) Thanks for reading!
Zero to Hero by PEMDAS
By lunch, most of the school had heard: this strange boy that had just enrolled into Hogwarts a few weeks ago had gotten the most popular girl in school to go out with him. As Harry sat alone at Gryffindor Table, munching on a chicken wing, Ron and Hermione stormed in, sitting across from them. “Hey,” Harry said indifferently, acknowledging them. They weren’t amused.

“Harry, what is your problem?” Hermione said, glaring at him. “Going out with your mother?”

“She’s not my mother yet,” Harry rebutted, not looking up at her or Ron.

“That is beyond bizarre, mate,” Ron said, shaking his head. “What’s gotten into you?”

“Look, guys,” Harry said quietly, leaning in to whisper to them, “I don’t appreciate this attention, believe it or not. I have enough of it already back home, so I’d like it if you got off my case. It just so happens that Lily is a great girl, and isn’t my mother yet, and you can’t tell me what to do.” Harry’s quiet anger made Ron withdraw, frowning, but Hermione glared even more, standing up straight.

“What is it with your family and redheads?” she asked, shaking her head. With that, she walked out of the Great Hall.

“And what’s wrong with redheads?” Ron retorted, yelling after Hermione and running to catch up with her.

Harry only shook his head and returned to his food. Somehow, it didn’t concern him anymore to be ignoring Ron and Hermione a lot lately. In fact, he had been separating himself slowly with them throughout their entire time in the past. He was so caught up with the events surrounding their arrival, he didn’t seem to be as close to them as he had once been, which gave him a pang of guilt whenever he blew them off. But pushing the thought from his mind, he finished his lunch and left to go to Herbology.

However, as he was walking across the grounds, lost in his thoughts, he suddenly was pushed to the ground. Wheeling around, and pulling out his wand, he saw James standing over him, glaring down on his future son.

“Enough is enough, Harry,” James growled. He pulled out his wand. “You just think you can waltz right into Hogwarts and steal my girlfriend?” He tried to curse Harry, but the latter instinctively produced a Shield charm and deflected it, getting to his feet.

“She’s not your girlfriend yet!” Harry said back. His temper was getting short... “Maybe I’ve decided not to let you marry her anymore! What’s wrong with you?”

“What?” James exclaimed, attempting to cast Levicorpus on Harry, but it was deflected once again. “You won’t exist in your time if you interfere...you know that, right?”

“Who says I’m going back to my time?” Harry retorted. By this time, a considerable crowd had gathered, watching the two, luckily not having heard what they were saying thus far.

“You’re crazy,” James said. “How do you know that I won’t tell everyone here your secret?”

“Leave him alone!” a female voice shouted, and Harry wasn’t surprised to see Lily walk in between the two, rounding on James. “If you’re mad at him for dating me, know that I would NEVER date you, James...not in a million years!”

“Is that so?” James said, smirking. “In that case, I’m assuming Harry has something he needs to tell you.” Harry motioned for James to cut it out, but Lily turned to face Harry.

“Is that true?” Lily asked Harry quietly. “You need to tell me something?”

“N-no!” Harry sputtered. “James is trying to cause an argument!”

“Fine,” James said. “If you won’t tell her, Harry, then I will. Evans, Harry is...”

Harry had no choice. “Fernunculus!” he yelled. The spell shot over Lily’s shoulder and hit James in the mouth. Instantly, James’ front teeth began growing at a rapid rate, and he could no longer talk coherently. As a rebuttal, James, now furious, pointed his wand and Harry and shot yet another spell at Harry, which was deflected. Lily ducked out of the way as James sent a flurry of spells at Harry, each more feeble than the last, each deflected by Harry’s Shield charm.

“What is going on here?” a voice said. Professor McGonagall was walking down the stone steps to see what the large crowd was all about. “Potter...what has happened to you?” she said, examining James’ mouth, who drew away angrily. He stormed up to the castle, apparently headed for the Hospital Wing.

“Who did this to him?” McGonagall demanded, looking around at the entire crowd.

“I did, Professor,” Harry said, stepping forward. The professor looked dismayed.

“Potter, why can’t you seem to stay out of trouble?” she asked, shaking her head.

“It wasn’t his fault, Professor,” Lily said quietly, stepping to stand next to Harry. She linked her hand with his, making Harry’s heart jump. “James tried to curse Harry, then he threatened to tell everyone something private about Harry, and Harry was just trying to keep his personal things to himself...” Lily was getting a bit worked up, but Harry wasn’t complaining.

“Very well,” McGonagall said. “I will be speaking to Mr. Potter “ James “ and Harry, I advise that you watch your step from now on.” With that, McGonagall turned around and walked back up to the castle, and the bell rang, making all the students jump and sprint for their classes.

***

The fact that Harry had gotten the most popular girl in school to go out with him and beat the best dueler in the school in a fight in the same day spread quickly throughout Hogwarts, and by dinner, he was as well-known at Hogwarts as he was in the future. Once again, Ron and Hermione were left just behind the spotlight, watching as Harry got all the attention.

Not that Harry wanted it...he wished that everyone would leave him alone. Somehow, somewhere along the line, the story of Harry making James’ front teeth enlarge transformed into eyewitnesses swearing they saw Harry cause a dragon to encircle James in flames and burn him, but once Harry tiredly explained what really happened, the listeners were a bit put-out, but still excited to be around him. Harry had become the most popular kid in school within six hours.

Harry decided to not leave Ron and Hermione completely in the dark. “Hermione,” he said, approaching them at the far end of the table at dinner, after escaping a mob of people wanting to hear the story of the duel again, “you do know that I didn’t start that duel, right?”

“No, I didn’t,” Hermione said indignantly. “Perhaps you could have come straight to us and told us the whole story, like you usually do, so we wouldn’t have to hear it secondhand from some excitable first-year that swears you cast an Unforgivable!”

“They said that?” Harry asked, bemused.

“That’s beside the point, mate,” Ron said. He looked rather upset. “You haven’t really been talking to us lately, you know.”

“I know,” Harry said, putting his hands in his pockets. “I didn’t ask for any of this, you know. I just think that, while I’m here, I should do the wizarding world a favor! And what have you been doing...pretending like this is just another part of life, and we should go through it until we figure out how to get back! I just can’t do that!”

“Speaking of which,” Hermione said, “since you’ve already eliminating students, we should think about that...getting back. Tonight we should have a look at your photo album and try to figure it out.”

Harry had no wish to do so, but he was suddenly forced to run from another group of students following him, asking for him to recount the incident one more time so they could write it down.

***

That night, Harry went up to the dorms early to escape the mob of people in the common room. He opened his trunk and pulled his photo album out. He opened it up, expecting to see the blank white sheets once again, but his heart skipped a beat: several pictures had appeared in it. But they were unrecognizable. One showed James and Lily at their wedding...and another, with Lily pregnant and smiling with James at her side...and then he saw it. Harry realized it wasn’t James in the pictures...It was him.

“I am going to marry her?” Harry muttered to no one in particular. He was intrigued; several more pictures of Lily pregnant followed, then a picture of Harry holding a baby girl in his arms. Tears filled his eyes as Harry looked at a black-and-white photograph of what would one day possibly be his child. She’s beautiful, he couldn’t help but think. He flipped another photo, and found that the rest of the album was blank. Shrugging, he put the album down, and just then, Ron and Hermione came in.

“Oh, good, you have it,” Hermione said, walking over to Harry’s bed and sitting on it uninvited. She picked up the album, and for a moment, Harry was afraid she’d open it, but she only examined the cover. “Yeah, this matches with the description I read about the magical leather,” she muttered, running her hands across the rough surface. “Now we just need to figure out the key word.”

“What did you say, mate, right before we disappeared?” Ron asked. “Exactly?”

Harry racked his brain. “It was so long ago,” he said. “But I think it was like, ‘I wish I could go back in time...and tell James to shut up...and let Lily like him’...”

“It can’t be that specific,” Hermione said, examining the leather again, which hadn’t changed in the slightest. “I doubt someone would make the key word something that only one or two people would know...it has to be an ordinary, everyday word.”

“Well,” Harry said, “I think I said something at the end...like...oh! I said, ‘Everything would be perfect’.”

“That has to be it,” Hermione said. “The key word must be ‘perfect’. But we have to test it...”

“I’ll do it,” Ron offered.

“No, I’d better do it,” Hermione said. “No offense, but I think I stand a better chance of not screwing up than you.”

Ron scowled, but he nodded in agreement. Hermione held the leather in front of her, took a deep breath, and said, “If I could go five minutes into the future, it would be perfect.” Expecting a big earthquake or loud noise like before, Ron and Harry carefully backed away from Hermione, but to their surprise, with no noise or movement whatsoever, Hermione disappeared.

“Wicked!” Ron exclaimed, feeling the air in which Hermione’s body had once been. “Even Apparition makes more of a noise than that did!”

“Keep to the corners,” Harry warned. “She may reappear anywhere...”

So they backed into the corner. Five minutes later, however, Hermione reappeared in the same spot she’d disappeared in.

“Wow,” Hermione said, putting a hand to her head. “What a rush...did it work? I heard a lot of noise, and everything went black, and the bed disappeared...”

“We saw you just vanish, Hermione,” Harry said. “No noise, no movement...nothing.”

“Interesting,” Hermione said. “Well, that’s that...now we know how to get back. Now you just need to modify James’ memory, and do whatever else you need to do, and we’ll be home free.”

“Yeah...” Harry said absentmindedly, still in doubt on whether to do just that. Satisfied, Hermione walked out, and Ron walked over to his bunk to change. Harry did the same, ready for a good night’s sleep to take his mind off of all that had happened that day. Even after cursing James, and figuring out how to work the album, and talking to Dumbledore about the future Death Eaters, only one thing was on his mind:

I can’t wait until the next Hogsmeade weekend!


Author’s Note: By the way, that line of Hermione’s was the humorous line I’ve been trying to insert for a while...“What is it with your family and redheads?”...anyway, hope you enjoyed it! Please review!
The New/Old Hogsmeade by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
I had to re-submit this chapter, but I've fixed some things, and I think it should be approved this time...sorry to make you wait!


The next Hogsmeade weekend took place December 14, the Saturday before the last week of school before the Christmas holiday. Harry awoke on that Saturday feeling very apprehensive. He dressed into his clothes, then put on two layers of clothing, finally throwing his cloak on. He grabbed his wand from the bedside table and walked out of Gryffindor Tower, headed for the Great Hall for a quick breakfast.

When he arrived, he saw Ron and Hermione talking at the far end of the table. When he approached them, he noticed they were dressed very lightly, only wearing sweatshirts and no robes. “Why aren’t you guys dressed warmly for Hogsmeade?” Harry asked.

“Hogsmeade?” Hermione asked curiously.

“We can’t go to Hogsmeade, mate,” Ron told him.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked, confused.

“You don’t have a permission slip, Harry,” Hermione said. “Remember? You need a signed slip of paper from a parent or guardian to get in.”

“Oh!” Harry exclaimed. He had forgotten.

“That puts a damper on your big date, then, doesn’t it, mate?” Ron said, smirking.

Harry slapped a hand to his forehead. “What am I going to do?” he moaned. Just then, Lily walked into the hall, wearing her robes, a wool hat and mittens. Spotting Harry, she walked over to him.

“Hi, Harry!” she said breathlessly. “Hi, Ron and Hermione,” she said, a little less enthusiastically, but smiling to the two nevertheless. “So...you ready for Hogsmeade?”

“Yeah, almost,” Harry replied. An idea had just popped into his head. “I just need to get something, first.” He grabbed a piece of toast from the table, munching on it as he ran back up to the dormitories.

In the dormitories, Harry carefully walked over to James’ bed, whose occupant was still snoring. He quietly opened his future father’s trunk and rummaged through it, finally finding it: James’ permission slip, signed by his father (Harry’s grandfather). Taking it, Harry laid it out carefully, pulling out his wand. “Clonora,” he muttered, and the piece of parchment glowed for a moment, and then, suddenly, two identical slips laid on the trunk in front of him. Harry took the newly-created one, and put it in his pocket. He then put the original back where he’d found it, then slipped back out of the dormitory.

He met Lily in the Entrance Hall, admittedly looking very cute standing there, rubbing her hands together to keep her fingers warm from the chill emanating from the open front doors. “Okay, I’m ready,” Harry said, and Lily turned to smile at him.

“Let’s go,” she said, and they slipped their arms through each other’s and walked out the front doors. Filch was waiting for them, collecting permission slips from students. Lily handed her slip over to the caretaker, who examined it, then gave Lily permission to go ahead. Lily waited as Harry stepped up to Filch.

Harry removed his glasses, pretending to clean them, as he handed over his slip. As long as Filch didn’t notice his glasses or green eyes, he would be fine. Filch examined the parchment, then after waiting with baited breath, Harry saw Filch look up and say, “Go on then, Potter, and try not to cause too much trouble with your friends today, eh?”

“No, sir,” Harry said, then quickly walked over to Lily, putting his glasses back on. The worst was over...now for the date. “Shall we find a carriage?” he said, taking Lily’s arm again.

“Okay,” Lily giggled, and then stepped into the nearest carriage. It took Harry a full two minutes to realize that the carriages appeared to be pulling themselves again. He could no longer see the thestrals. As Lily chatted away to Harry about something-or-other, Harry couldn’t help but wonder, can I not see them because I’ve saved their lives? Or is it because I haven’t seen them die yet?

No matter the reason, the thought was pushed from Harry’s mind as they entered Hogsmeade. Harry realized that the small town had been slightly dilapidated in his time, but here, in 1976, it was like new. The windows on all the shops were dirt-free, the cobblestone roads were clean, and the paint on the buildings all shone brilliantly, having not yet faded. It would be like visiting a brand-new Hogsmeade.

Of course, with all the positive parts of the “new” town, there were also setbacks. Harry noticed that several shops were not yet in operation. For instance, Zonko’s Joke Shop was still “Madame Yvette’s Fortune-Telling Shop” and “Madam Puddifoot’s” was still just an empty lot, which, for some reason, made Harry’s stomach lurch.

“Where should we go first?” Lily said, shivering in the cold breeze.

“Dunno,” Harry muttered. He didn’t want to sound stupid by naming a shop that may not exist yet.

“How about The Three Broomsticks?” Lily offered.

“That sounds great,” Harry said, thankful that the shop was still there. They walked down High Street and entered the small shop, which was, thankfully, not yet packed with people. Harry and Lily had been among the first students to arrive in Hogsmeade, after all. They found a table, sitting across from each other.

“I’ll get us some drinks,” Harry said, and he got up and walked up to the bar. “Excuse me,” he said, then stopped short: the bartender, an older woman, turned to look at him. “Where’s Madam Rosmerta?” he asked without thinking.

“Rosmerta?” the woman asked, confused. “You mean one of my waitresses?” She gestured to the younger woman, who was walking amongst the tables, taking orders. Obviously, she had not yet taking over the business of the shop.

“Never mind,” Harry said quickly. “Two butterbeers, please.” When he had received his drinks, he sat down across from Lily again, handing her the second drink.

“Thanks,” Lily said, and took a long sip of hers. Harry did likewise, looking around at the shop as he did. It was very different from what it would become in twenty years; the decorations he was so used to had disappeared, and the walls were still a plain white, lacking the moving wallpaper that Harry had watched countless times during his Hogsmeade visit.

When he looked back at Lily, he noticed she was staring at his scar. His face grew red as he realized the question that would be surely popping up soon. “That’s an interesting scar, Harry,” she muttered to herself. “How did you get it?”

Harry sighed. Once again, he was faced with the opportunity to tell her the truth. But, once again, he held back. If she finds out she’s my mother in the future, she would never want to date me... But Harry decided to at least give her half of the truth. “You know my parents were killed, right?” he asked her, and she nodding slowly. “Well, actually, it wasn’t an accident. They were murdered.”

Lily gasped. “That’s horrible!” she whispered. “You must’ve been horrified!”

“I was only one year old,” Harry said, “so I didn’t know them very well, you know? But I never really got to know them.”

“Who murdered them?” Lily asked, leaning in closer to Harry.

Harry started to reply with “Voldemort”, but realized it would be unwise to draw attention to himself by saying his name, since he wasn’t the Boy Who Lived in 1976. “You-Know-Who,” he said grimly.

Lily was wide-eyed. “Why was Voldemort after them?”

Harry sighed. “He wasn’t after my parents. He was after me.”

“Why?” Lily asked. She was silently shaking from the already-terrible tale.

“Dunno,” Harry lied. “I think he thought I would grow to become a really powerful wizard or something, because of “ because of my scar.”

“So you already had the scar?” Lily asked, now slightly confused.

Harry was thinking fast. “Yeah, I was born with it,” he lied. “I guess it was a sign of power and destiny or something, and it scared Voldemort, so he went after me. He came to my house and “ murdered my dad first.” Lily watched him with a frightened expression. Harry continued: “Then “ my mum stood in front of me, and Vol...You-Know-Who...told her to get out of the way, and she refused. So he killed her.”

“Then what happened?” Lily asked.

Harry was now thinking fast again. He couldn’t tell her the truth, because if she knew he had survived a Killing Curse, she would be suspicious that he wasn’t famous, and why Voldemort was still at large if he’d been hit with a Killing Curse. “Erm...I don’t really know all the details,” Harry said, “but I heard that Ministry officials arrived, and Voldemort ran away.”

“I’m so sorry,” Lily breathed, and Harry was relieved that she had bought it. She reached forward and took Harry’s hand, stroking his palm with her thumb. Harry nodded sullenly.

“We don’t have to talk about it, though,” Harry said. “We should have a good time, and forget about this.”

“You’re right,” Lily agreed. They finished their butterbeers, chatting about different things, from Quidditch teams (Harry was interested in the standings of different teams before they became bad or good, based on the team) to classes (Lily blushed when Harry complimented her on her superb Charms skills, and Lily then told Harry how wonderful he was at Defense Against the Dark Arts). After they had finished their butterbeers, they walked outside, ready to browse different shops and determined to have a good time.

And a good time they had. Harry wondered when he’d ever had so much fun. They walked down High Street, laughing and talking as though they’d known each other from birth, and they browsed different shops, buying sweets and laughing at different items on sale. They ate lunch at a small café, buying a large sandwich and eating half of it, throwing away the rest just because they could. Finally, after several hours of fun, it had grown dark, and students were beginning to load into the carriages to head back up to the castle.

“We should probably head back soon,” Harry commented, not altogether happy that their date was drawing to a close.

“Yeah,” Lily said. “Why don’t we look through one more shop before we go?”

So they walked into a small shop called Magical Monster Menagerie, which sold various things relating to magical beasts. There was no one else in the shop, and Harry wondered whether Lily actually wanted to shop in there. After all, neither of them were taking Care of Magical Creatures...

“Lily?” Harry asked weakly, and she turned to face him. Harry couldn’t believe just how great she looked, with her cheeks and nose tinged red from the cold, and her hat tilted slightly to the side now.

“Listen, Harry...” Lily was fighting for the right words, Harry noticed, and was glad to see she was nervous, too. “Thanks for all this. I had a great time.”

“Me, too,” Harry said, throat dry, and he felt himself moving forward towards her, feet moving of their own accord.

“I’m sorry about your parents, though,” Lily said, and she was walking towards him, too.

“Don’t worry about it.” Harry was now a foot or two from Lily.

“We should do this again sometime,” Lily said. Their noses were inches apart, and they both knew what would happen next.

“Sure...” Harry closed his eyes, his heart pumping a thousand miles an hour. Then their lips met, and Harry was thrown into a whirlwind of different thoughts, and yet, all of them were pushed to the back of his mind. Suddenly, though, it all ended: Harry opened his eyes slowly to see that Lily had taken a few steps back, and was frowning at him.

“Who’s Ginny?” she demanded, narrowing her eyes.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked, confused.

“Just then, when we were kissing,” Lily huffed, putting her hands on her lips. “You said ‘Ginny’. Who is she?”

Harry was confused. Why had he said ‘Ginny’?”

“I might have said it subconsciously,” he offered, which obviously wasn’t the right thing to say.

“So you were thinking of another girl while you kissed me?” she shrieked. “Or did you just mutter the name of some random girl that doesn’t exist?”

“She exists!” Harry said, and regretted it immediately.

“Harry Potter, how can you do this to me?” Lily yelled. “You’re seeing another girl behind my back?”

“No!” Harry exclaimed, stomach dropping with dread. “I just...she’s just my friend...”

Lily shook her head and sighed heavily. “I’ll see you later, Harry,” she muttered, sprinting from the store. Harry saw little water droplets fall from her face as she ran, landing on the hardwood floor as she ran for a carriage. Harry ran out after her, just in time to see her get in a carriage by herself, and being carted back up to the castle.

Harry angrily kicked the side of the shop, then hopping up and down on one foot, holding his toe. Why does this always seem to happen? he wondered, watching Lily go. Dejected, he trudged up to another carriage to go back up to the carriage, all the fun he’d had in the past few hours wiped out by one simple, yet complex, kiss.



Author’s Note: Well, I hope you liked this chapter, even if you strongly dislike Harry/Lily shipping...personally, I think it is a good ship, and my reason for this is hidden in this chapter...shouldn’t be too hard to find. Either way, it is explained further in Chapter 16...thanks for reading, and please review!
Millicent Bagnold by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Any HP fanatics out there that can decipher this name? If you follow everything HP, you have probably come across it, but not in the books...bonus prize if you can review and accurately say who she is!


When Harry arrived at the castle, he went straight up to the dormitories to change out of his sopping-wet clothes. As he changed into a fresh T-shirt and jeans, he heard a rustle behind him, and saw James lying on his four-poster, staring at the ceiling. “James...” Harry called out, but James ignored him, rolling over to face away from Harry.

Harry sighed, drying his clothes by making steam emit from his wand. He laid them on his bed, walking down to the common room. He found Ron and Hermione, doing homework at a table in the corner. He walked over to them, and they turned to look at him. “How was your date?” Ron asked, smirking.

“Terrible,” Harry said, frowning.

“Thought so,” Hermione remarked, and Harry and Ron looked at her, confused. Hermione continued, “Lily came through here about fifteen minutes ago, fast-walking up to the girls’ dormitories. It looked like she’d been crying.”

“Blimey, mate, what did you do to her?” Ron asked, looking concerned.

“Nothing,” Harry said. “We “ er “ we kissed, and...”

Hermione coughed loudly, as though choking on something, and Ron promptly fell out of his seat. He returned to his seat, all eyes in the common room now upon him, and he leaned forward and whispered, “You’re kidding, right? You kissed your mum?”

“Well, yeah,” Harry said glumly. “Anyway, she accused me of dating another girl...”

“Why?” Hermione asked. “You aren’t dating anyone else...are you?”

“No!” Harry said indignantly. “Apparently, I said ‘Ginny’ subconsciously while we were kissing.”

Hermione giggled, and Ron and Harry both looked at her again. “Sorry,” Hermione giggled. “I mean, it’s a bit funny, isn’t it? You’re dating someone from the past, and you ruin it by saying the name of someone from the future...”

“That’s not funny at all!” Harry said angrily. “It ruined my date with Lily!”

“Well, I won’t say I approved of it in the first place,” Hermione said.

“And since when have you been the one to tell me who I can and can’t date?” Harry said heatedly.

“We aren’t,” Ron put in. “We’re just saying as your friends...it’s not a good idea to be dating your own mum.”

“Or anyone from the future, really,” Hermione added.

Harry shook his head. “Sorry, guys, but I don’t think you should be interfering with this at all,” he said. “No matter the time period, I can date whoever I want.”

“You don’t get it, Harry,” Hermione said. “You think you can just stay here in the past and, what, marry Lily or something?” Harry didn’t reply to this, so Hermione continued: “It’s never been done before, I’ll say that much, but believe me, the odds are that you won’t survive for very long if James and Lily don’t get married. You may disappear or something if you are never born!”

Harry considered this. It was a possibility...“Okay, thanks, guys,” he said, although he wasn’t really sure if he meant it or not. “I’m heading for bed...it’s been a long day.” With that, he walked back up to the dormitories, even though he wasn’t particularly tired. He laid on his four-poster for an hour or so, thinking about his predicament, the other future Death Eaters at the school, Dumbledore’s promise to take care of the matter, and, most of all, Lily. Has she rejected me for good? he wondered. Will she accept me back? Should I apologize? Will she... Before he could think more on the matter, he closed his eyes and fell into a sudden, but peaceful, sleep.

***

The last week of school before the holidays was much less than peaceful. In this time period, Harry, Ron and Hermione learned, students in fifth-year and above were required to take a mock O.W.L. or N.E.W.T. test created by their teachers, and their performance on the test would go on record in the class grades. Most everyone studied on Sunday afternoon for the Potions exam the following morning. Harry, who had learned most of the material in his sixth year back in the future, reviewed the potions and antidotes the sixth-years had learned before Educational Decree 14 was passed in 1986 calling for a total rewrite of Hogwarts school material.

Monday morning dawned bright and sunny, but the sixth-years were forced to go down to the dungeons for the exam. First, they sat the written exam, which was tedious but fairly easy. Harry felt as though he passed with at least an “Exceeds Expectations”, for he seemed to perform better without the presence of Snape “ both in this time and in his time in the future. Second, they took the practical exam. Harry felt that it went almost as well as the written portion, although he messed up on his antidote to the Draught of the Living Death while he watched Lily working over her own cauldron, red hair falling into her face as she worked furiously...

That afternoon, they took Defense Against the Dark Arts. Harry hadn’t studied at all, but he felt that he aced both portions of the exam. He flew through the written portion, the first one to finish (including Hermione, who came a close second a minute later), and he was able to perform every spell, charm and hex that Professor Smythe had him do. “Excellent work, Mr. Potter!” Professor Smythe exclaimed joyfully, clapping his wrinkled hands. “Top marks, I believe!”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said, nodding and walking out of the classroom.

The rest of the week flew by, as Harry took exams for all of his classes except for Herbology. He would sit the exam Friday afternoon in Greenhouse Two. At lunch, however, he was interrupted from his studying by the doors of the Great Hall bursting open, and a group of witches and wizards stormed into the Hall, talking amongst themselves and causing a general racket.

“Who is that?” Harry wondered aloud, as a woman who appeared to be head of the group spotted Dumbledore and walked straight towards him.

“Don’t you know who that is?” a third-year said incredulously to Harry. “That’s the Minister of Magic, Millicent Bagnold!”

“Oh!” Harry said in comprehension. He had never heard of Bagnold, but he knew nothing, really, of the history of past Ministers of Magic. He realized that the other people must be Ministry officials escorting Bagnold to Hogwarts. Everyone watched as Bagnold reached the Head Table and struck up a heated but quiet conversation with Dumbledore, finally resulting in Dumbledore standing up and addressing the students.

“Attention, please,” Dumbledore said, and the students grew quiet. “As you may have noticed, the Minister of Magic, Millicent Bagnold, has come to the school.” Everyone turned to Bagnold, who gave a silent wave to the students, expression remaining tight-lipped and grim. “She has requested something of me, and I will be happy to comply. Will the two students that were involved with the capture of Peter Pettigrew please come to my office in twenty minutes? Thank you.”

Everyone began muttering again instantly as Dumbledore sat back down to talk with Bagnold again, frowning slightly. Looking down the table, Harry caught Lily’s eye for a brief moment before they both returned to their studying.

Harry left the Great Hall with the rest of the students, but as his classmates went up to the common room to study further before the exam, he walked to Dumbledore’s office. Lily was already there, waiting. Apparently, neither knew the password. “You don’t know the password?” Harry said, trying to sound nonchalant at meeting Lily again.

“No,” Lily said, and they stood there, waiting. Finally, the door opened, and Dumbledore walked down the staircase to meet them.

“Good afternoon, Miss Evans, Mr. Potter,” he greeted them, nodding to each, which they did in turn. “As you know, Miss Bagnold is waiting for you upstairs,” Dumbledore continued. “She is going to interrogate you one at a time...”

“Interrogate us?” Lily said instantly, frightened. “Do they think we’ve done something illegal?”

“No, no, of course not,” Dumbledore said, and Lily sighed. “I should not have used that term. She just has a few questions for you concerning Mr. Pettigrew’s capture and Mr. Snape’s death. The Ministry seems to think that the two incidents are related.”

Lily nodded. “I’ll go first, she offered. When Dumbledore nodded his approval, she ascended the staircase for the office, where Bagnold was waiting, leaving Harry alone with the headmaster.

“Harry, before you are questioned,” Dumbledore said, facing Harry, “I must ask you to do a few things for me.”

“Such as what, Professor?” Harry asked.

“For one, I must ask you not to reveal the identities of the future Death Eaters in my school,” he said. “Not to worry...I will still keep my word in taking action on the matter.”

“But why, sir?” Harry asked.

“The Ministry does not take these things lightly, Harry,” he said. “They may suspect you of being in league with Lord Voldemort. As I was saying, secondly, do not mention your relationship with Miss Evans, or they may suspect a conspiracy. Third, do not mention any link between the death of Mr. Snape and the capture of Mr. Pettigrew. Finally, as you may not have needed reminding, do not give away that you are not, in fact, from this time period, or you may be accused of stealing a Time-Turner and convicted of altering time, which is a serious offense.”

“But how can they think I used a Time-Turner?” Harry asked. “I mean, Time-Turners can’t take you any farther in time than a few hours, right?”

“True,” Dumbledore said. “However, how else do you think the Ministry is to explain how you traveled back in time, when no other methods are known to do so?”

“All right, sir...I promise,” Harry said, nodding. Dumbledore smiled and ascended the staircase after Lily. A few minutes later, Lily came back down the staircase. She didn’t speak to Harry, but headed straight for the common room to study. Harry immediately walked up the staircase to Dumbledore’s office, knocked, and entered.

Bagnold was sitting in Dumbledore’s chair behind the ornate wooden desk. Dumbledore was sitting quietly in a corner, watching intently, as Harry sat in the wooden chair across from Bagnold. The witch smiled at Harry, but he could tell that she was faking. “Good afternoon, Minister.”

“Good afternoon,” Bagnold said. “What did you say your name was?”

“Potter,” Harry said. He looked at Dumbledore, who didn’t seem to have any concerns with Harry’s response, so he continued, “Harry Potter.”

“Harry Potter, you say?” Bagnold said, flipping through some papers in a folder. “Your name doesn’t appear to be on the Ministry’s list of students here...I do have a James Potter, but no Harry...”

“That would be my fault, Miss Bagnold,” Dumbledore said politely from the corner. “Mr. Potter just recently enrolled into Hogwarts coming from Adstruffy Academy, and I have yet to deliver the paperwork.”

“Please do so promptly then, Professor Dumbledore,” Bagnold said quickly, then set her papers aside, looking at Harry intently. “Mr. Potter, am I correct in saying that Mr. Pettigrew cursed you with the Cruciatus Curse a few weeks ago?”

“Yes,” Harry said quietly.

“And,” Bagnold continued, “is it also true that you witnessed the death of Severus Snape?”

Harry wondered how the Ministry had found out about Snape’s death, but he replied anyway. “Sort of,” he said. Then, feeling he needed to elaborate, he added, “Well, I didn’t see it happen exactly, but I saw him right before it happened.”

“Can you elaborate any further?” the Minister asked. “Was he attacked by someone? Or something?”

Harry glanced to Dumbledore again, but once more, the headmaster seemed unconcerned, looking at the ceiling and twiddling his thumbs. “He was killed by a werewolf,” he said finally.

“A werewolf, you say?” Bagnold said, raising her eyebrows. “Dumbledore, do you believe this story?”

“Yes, Minister,” Dumbledore said. “As you are aware, and as you kindly kept quiet from the press, one of our students is, indeed, a werewolf. You remember Remus Lupin?”

“Ah, yes, Lupin...” Bagnold said, examining another file, presumably Remus’ records. “Ah, yes, I see. All right, Mr. Potter, thank you. We’ve done some research, and we’ve discovered that Mr. Snape was also in league with You-Know-Who, as well as Mr. Pettigrew. Do you believe there is a connection between the incidents?”

“No, ma’am,” Harry replied. “At least, not that I’m aware of?”

“I see,” Bagnold muttered to herself, scribbling something onto a slip of paper. “I heard just recently that you had discovered that Mr. Pettigrew was in league with You-Know-Who, and were about to turn him in, which prompted him to curse you. How did you discover this?”

“Oh...erm...” Harry said, thinking fast. “I found a letter in the common room,” he said finally. “Addressed to Vol- I mean, You-Know-Who.”

“Why would he leave a letter to You-Know-Who lying out in the open?” Bagnold questioned. “It seems suspicious...”

“It wasn’t in an envelope yet,” Harry said. “He hadn’t finished writing it yet. I was sitting at the same table as Peter, and happened to see You-Know-Who’s name on it when someone walked by and bumped the table. The letter turned to face me, and I saw it.”

Bagnold studied him for a moment, then said, “All right, Mr. Potter, I’ll trust you for now, but the circumstances are suspicious...I have one last question for you.”

“All right,” Harry said, waiting for it. Bagnold was pondering him again, and asked her final question.

“Would you agree with the idea that you are involved in some kind of conspiracy to eliminate certain students from you school?” Bagnold asked. “Or in other words, do you have any kind of vendetta against Mr. Snape and/or Mr. Pettigrew that would prompt you to take actions against them?”

“No, Minister,” Harry said, keeping his face straight and looking back into her blue eyes.

Bagnold gave a small “hmph”, then stood up. “Thank you, Mr. Potter, for your time. That will be all. Thank you, Professor Dumbledore, for your time, as well, and allowing my use of your office.”

“Of course, Minister,” Dumbledore said. “I now ask that you leave the grounds quietly, as we have students taking exams.”

“Of course,” Bagnold said. She walked over to the fireplace, grabbed a handful of Floo Powder, and stepped into the grate. “Ministry of Magic!” she said clearly, dropping the powder, and she disappeared in a large bout of green flames.

Dumbledore turned to Harry. “Thank you, Harry, for doing what I asked,” he said. “You may go now. I believe you have a Herbology exam in an hour’s time, correct?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry replied.

“You’d better get studying, then,” Dumbledore said, smiling. “Off you get.”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said, nodding. With that, he left Dumbledore’s office, headed up for the common room to cram in some last-minute studying before the exam.



Author’s Note: I hoped you liked this chapter! Ch. 17 coming soon...please review!
The New Guard by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
This chapter was so fun to write, because it just seems to highlight how mysterious Dumbledore is...you people might wonder why Dumbledore would do something like what he does in this chapter and the next one (Ch. 17-18 are basically 2 halves of 1 long chapter), but that's just who he is. Hope you like it!


On Saturday morning, Harry and Ron woke up groggily at the same time to the sound of a large CRASH. James, Remus and Sirius were all packing to go home for the holidays, and Sirius had accidentally knocked James’ suitcase on the ground, starting a small feud that was soon quelled when Remus scolded both of them.

“Good morning to you, too,” Ron mumbled, rolling over in his four-poster.

“Sorry about that, Ron,” James said, and Harry realized that James was in no hurry to apologize to him. On the contrary, James seemed to make the most noise when walking past Harry’s bunk. After James “tripped” and crashed into the foot of Harry’s bed, shaking the whole structure, Harry had had enough.

“Do you mind?” he growled. He grabbed his wand and glasses from the bedside table and pointed the former at James, who scowled.

“Don’t have a fit,” James said coldly. “I’m finished now.” Harry, who had had no intention of cursing James, lowered his wand as James closed his trunk, dragging it from the room down to the common room. Sirius, who had no vendetta against Harry but was vastly more loyal to James, followed him without a word to anyone, trunk bumping along behind him.

Remus, however, hung back to talk to Harry. “Harry, I just want you to know that I don’t have any kind of problem with you,” he said, getting right to the point, which Harry appreciated about the werewolf. “I “ erm “ actually think it was good for you to show James that he’s not invincible.”

“Erm...thanks,” Harry said, nodding, not quite sure how to respond. Ron, however, found no problem in speaking his mind.

“Can’t a bloke sleep in on a Saturday without people holding conversations five feet away?” he muttered, rolling over once again. Remus laughed, and he finished packing as well, closing his trunk and walking towards the door.

“Have a good holiday, Harry,” Remus said to Harry, walking from the room promptly to meet with his friends again. Harry, who was already sitting up with his glasses on, determined quickly that he wouldn’t be able to sleep any further, and got up to change. He went down to the common room, where it was completely deserted except for Hermione, who was working on something at a table.

“Hermione, we don’t have any homework over the break!” Harry exclaimed. “You can’t be serious!”

“It’s not homework, Harry,” she said without looking up. “I’m writing a list of students that you seem to want to eliminate.”

“Is now the time to worry about that?” Harry asked, exasperated. “It’s nearly Christmas.”

Hermione rounded on him angrily, surprising Harry. “I don’t know about you, Harry, but I want to go back to our time,” she said. “I’m homesick! All these people leaving for the holidays reminds me of my own parents, and I just want to see them again, and...” Her anger soon abated and became hysteria, and she choked back tears.

“Okay, okay!” Harry said, surprised at her outburst. “Forget it, then. What were you saying?”

“Well,” Hermione said in a shaky voice, “I have eleven names down-”

“Eleven?!” Harry exclaimed. “I only wanted Snape, Peter and Bellatrix gone!”

“I included all the future Death Eaters,” Hermione said matter-of-factly. “I’m assuming that you’ll want to get rid of as many as possible.”

“Oh,” Harry said quietly. “But I thought you didn’t want me to be changing anything here!”

“I don’t,” Hermione replied. “But I know that I can’t stop you from doing anything, so I may as well make sure you do it without getting arrested, which you were lucky to avoid with Snape and Peter.”

“Dumbledore already said he’d take care of the future Death Eaters,” Harry explained quickly. Of course, he had no intention of giving the power to Dumbledore, but he was trying to get Hermione off his back.

“In that case, I’ll just give the list to him,” Hermione said, putting her quill and ink back into her bag, which, despite the holiday, was stuffed full of various things. She then took the list, stood up, and walked from the room. “Might as well go now,” she added right before she disappeared through the portrait hole.

About half an hour later, while Harry sat sleepily in front of the fire, Hermione returned. “Dumbledore has a message for you,” she said, smirking. “He said to tell you, ‘Soon’.”

Harry groaned. He had hoped that Dumbledore would take a long time to come up with a plan, and even if he had wanted to go back so soon, he would’ve thought that figuring out how to convict thus-far-innocent students and get them sent to Azkaban would take a while, but then again, this was Dumbledore they were talking about. “Okay,” he said, sighing, and Hermione, satisfied, went back up to the girls’ dormitory, leaving Harry by the fire, cursing Dumbledore for his intelligence.

***

On the whole, the Christmas holidays were very uneventful. James, Sirius, Remus and Lily had all go home to their families (or, in Sirius’ case, James’ family), so Harry, Ron and Hermione passed the time by exploring the large castle. Fortunately, James had left the Marauder’s Map in the dorm, which Harry found beneath a loose floorboard under James’ four-poster, and they took time to examine the various passageways that had been destroyed, covered or caved-in by their time. Harry followed one that had yet to be mapped, but quickly turned around when he found himself in a crowded cellar in a back room at the Three Broomsticks.

However, the message from Dumbledore left Harry pondering what he could possibly mean. All of the future Death Eaters still at Hogwarts had stayed at school for the holidays (“Their dads are probably all too busy,” Ron quipped), and Harry wondered whether he had a plan or not.

He had to force the thought aside, however, as Christmas day finally arrived, and he, Ron and Hermione awoke to find a small stack of presents for each of them. “But who would still be here to send us things?” Hermione wondered aloud as they sorted through the piles. Between them, they had about ten gifts.

“We each got one from Dumbledore,” Ron commented. “I wonder what they are...?”

They decided these gifts first. Each had received a “Dark Arts Defense Packet”, which contained several items, such as a spellbook on defensive spells, as well as several lethal-looking items that they did not recognize. Hermione went straight for the manual, and Ron and Harry read the note that came with it: Keep this nearby. You will need it in the near future.

“Blimey...does he expect us to get attacked or something?” Ron said, rereading the note and examining the items.

“These packets were banned from sale in 1983,” Hermione said aloud. “I remember reading about them in our time. These items are used for combat with Dark witches or wizards, and they ended up killing a lot of people that other wizards or witches had grudges against.”

“I can see why,” Ron said, eyeing a large grenade-looking ball that, according to the manual, cast over a hundred curses on the person it was thrown at.

Harry was deep in thought. “You don’t think...is Dumbledore planning an attack on the Death Eaters or something?”

“That would be suicidal,” Hermione pointed out. “Not to mention pointless. It obviously has something to do with the future Death Eaters here, or else he would have done it without our interference anyway.”

“We’d better keep these nearby,” Hermione said. “If he has something up his sleeve, we need to be ready, and I don’t think it will be pretty.”

They opened their other gifts, which were from the Ministry (a packet about self-defense against Dark wizards similar to the ones published back in 1996) and one each from all the teachers welcoming them to the school with a packet of sweets. They put these away, storing the Dark Arts Defense packets safely under their beds.

When they walked into the Hall, they were surprised to see the headlines of the morning’s Daily Prophet:

DECK THE HALLS WITH NEW PROTECTION

Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft of Wizardry, yesterday announced his Christmas present to the students of his school: a new level of security about the castle.

“There have been several incidences involving Dark magic concerning our fair school in recent weeks,” the 136-year-old wizard told the
Prophet. “On Christmas night, the magical protections surrounding the school will be temporarily taken down in order to install new levels of heightened security about the castle.

“The protections will be down for less than an hour as the new-and-improved protections are put in place. Manual protection “ otherwise known as Aurors “ will be in effect during this period of time, in order to prevent an attack. “The protections will be in place by midnight tonight.” (ctd. page 8)


“You don’t suppose this has anything to do with the gifts he gave us?” Harry said to Ron and Hermione, confused. “Why would he change the protections? They’re perfectly all right!”

“I don’t know,” Hermione said. “Unless...but no, that can’t be...I’ll be right back.” She unexpectedly got up and left the table without eating, and Harry and Ron watched her run out of the Great Hall.

“Beats me,” Ron said before Harry could say anything. Harry frowned, but decided to eat and deal with it later.

They didn’t see Hermione for most of the day after that. Dumbledore announced the change in protection that would happen “sometime after dinner” to everyone a few minutes after she left, and Ron and Harry looked for her for most of the day, not succeeding.

After dinner, as Ron and Harry watched curiously from a window on the second floor, Dumbledore walked out onto the grounds. He pointed his wand at the sky and made complicated wand movements, causing a golden web to form over the entire school. It promptly faded away, and they assumed the protections had just been dropped. Then, to Ron and Harry’s great surprise, he Disapparated.

“How did he do that?” Ron said, alarmed. “Hermione’s been bugging us for years saying that we can’t Apparate at Hogwarts!”

“That protection must have been lifted, as well,” Harry said, shrugging. They walked back into the Great Hall, where the students had been ordered to stay during the hours of the swap of protection. The students had their faces pressed against the glass, also looking where Dumbledore had been moments ago. Suddenly, everyone screamed: a hooded figure appeared in the center of the hall, and drawing his wand, magnified his voice for all to hear.

“The battle is nigh,” he said loudly. “All those faithful to the Dark Lord must join him or die.” With that, he Disapparated, leaving the room to total chaos.

“What does that mean?” Ron asked Harry nervously. “‘The battle is nigh’?”

“It means,” said Hermione, who had just walked in, “the Death Eaters are coming to Hogwarts.”


Author’s Note: Oh, boy! Battle scene coming up! What do you think will happen? I know (obviously)...can’t wait for you to read it! Please review!
Long-Range Combat by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Please see my bio in the "Story Updates" section for more info. on this chapter.



“What?!” Ron and Harry exclaimed at the same time.



“I know,” Hermione said. “I’ve known for most of the day that this would happen.”



“How?” Harry asked weakly, as students around them scrambled around frantically, screaming.



“Dumbledore told me,” she said. “I worked out what he was going to do, and confronted him about it. He told me his plan, and I’ve spent the day figuring out how to use everything in our D.A.D. packets.”



“Dumbledore was planning this?” Ron asked. “Blimey, I didn’t think he was that thick!”



“Hush, Ronald,” Hermione said crossly. “Everyone knows Dumbledore’s the most brilliant man to walk this planet since the Founders themselves. His plan actually makes sense.”



“What’s he going to do?” Ron asked, his voice getting progressively higher with fear. “He’s not going to let them attack the castle, is he?”



“Oh, but he is!” Hermione replied. “This is all a trap to capture all of the future Death Eaters! See, he didn’t bring down the defenses to install new ones...he did it to allow the Death Eaters into the school.”



“He’s mental!” Ron said weakly. “Why would he offer up his own students up as bait?”



“He’s not,” Hermione said. “We’ve been volunteered to be offered up as bait.”



Ron moaned, and Harry stared blankly at Hermione. “Hermione, do you even know what the word ‘volunteer’ means?” he said weakly. “It means we choose to do something. Who says we’re going to agree to this?”



“Dumbledore does,” Hermione said. “Otherwise, he’s going to turn you over to the Ministry for second-degree murder and time-alteration, which could earn you a lifetime in Azkaban.”



“That blackmailer!” Ron said angrily, then frowned. “Well...you did sorta get two of his students killed and sent to Azkaban...”



“The point is,” Hermione said quickly, “the teachers are going to bring the students up to the Room of Requirement to hide out while we fight them. Dumbledore’s hope is that the future Death Eaters will join ranks with the actual Death Eaters, and we can capture them.”



“And what makes him think we’ll be able to do that?” Ron asked.



“We have these,” Hermione said, holding up three leather belts. “I took the liberty of creating these belts for all of us with all of our items from the packets he sent us on it. I read up on them, and I think I know how to work them all...”



Just then, McGonagall ran into the Great Hall. “All students, follow me,” she said loudly. “We are going to find a place to hide.” The terrified students, minus the trio and future Death Eaters, ran to form a line behind McGonagall as she walked out of the Hall again, headed for the Room of Requirement on the seventh floor. Harry, Ron and Hermione took up the rear, but stopped short when everyone else rounded a corner to the Grand Staircase, making the future Death Eaters last in line.



“They’ll probably slip away, too,” Hermione said. “According to Dumbledore, the Death Eaters will choose to Apparate into the school, and as soon as that happens, he’s going to put the protections up again, so they can’t Disapparate again.”



“Great,” Ron moaned. “Lock them in with us!”



“Relax,” Hermione said, handing the two boys their belts. “Dumbledore wouldn’t make us do this if he didn’t think we’d survive. Now, Dumbledore told us to go up to the fifth floor landing...” As it turned out, the fifth floor landing was directly over the doorway from the Entrance Hall to the Grand Staircase. It was completely deserted thus far.



“I think I know what we need to do first,” Hermione said, reaching for the grenade-type thing Ron had examined earlier, in the dormitory. “When I was in Muggle boarding school, I and the other girls in my dorm would drop water balloons from the upper-story windows onto the people passing below. Now wouldn’t be a bad time to try it again.”



“Excellent,” Ron and Harry said, grabbing for their “grenades”, as well. “This is like something Fred and George would do...you know, but with hexes or something, not curses.”



Suddenly, there were several muted CRACKS as the Death Eaters Apparated into the Great Hall. “Dumbledore should be re-installing the protections right now,” Hermione commented.



“Wait a minute,” Harry said suddenly, realizing something horrible. “You don’t think...Voldemort...?”



“No,” Hermione said immediately. “He wouldn’t be bothered with something like this...not when he doesn’t yet know that you’re the one that’s out to destroy his Horcruxes. He probably ordered the Death Eaters to kill Dumbledore, not take over the school, like back in our time, in the sixth year.”



“Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat,” Harry said quickly, and the other two nodded. They hushed up as the door to the Entrance Hall opened slowly, and several dozen Death Eaters slipped into the Grand Staircase. Suddenly, another door on the third floor opened, and the future Death Eaters slipped out of it, running down to the ground level to meet the elder Death Eaters.



“You have made the right choice,” one of the older hooded figures said to the teens, who were wearing long, flowing capes and self-made Death Eater masks. “Today will mark a great victory for the Dark Lord.”



“Not if we can help it,” Ron muttered, and he, Harry and Hermione dropped their grenades. They hit the ground between the Death Eaters on the landing, and a huge, multicolored plume of smoke enveloped everyone, and much shouting and swearing followed. Without hesitation, Hermione grabbed the boys’ arms and dragged them back through the doorway onto the fifth floor.



“Don’t you think they’ll follow us, Hermione?” Ron asked nervously.



“I don’t doubt it,” Hermione said, pulling a piece of parchment out from her robes. It was the Marauder’s Map. “Yeah...half of them are still down by the Entrance Hall, probably still recovering from those curses, but the rest of them are searching the castle...uh-oh, here come two of them now...” Hermione grabbed the boys again and pulled them behind a tapestry with a hidden passage behind it as two Death Eaters burst into the corridor, wands drawn, searching for them. To the trio’s pleasure, they were arguing furiously.



“...and I’m telling you, they must have gone this way!” one of them said to the other.



“And I’m telling you,” the other exclaimed, “there’s no way they would still be here, even if they DID go this way!”



As they fought, Hermione took a long object with sharp points on both ends from her belt, motioning for Harry to do the same. Harry did so, and counting to three quietly, flung open the tapestry as the Death Eaters were just passing it and flung them at the men. The objects suddenly began spinning rapidly, like helicopter blades without a helicopter, and cut into the men’s sides. The Death Eaters howled with pain and ran from the area as the blades chased them the whole way.



“Wicked!” Ron exclaimed. “I’m going to use that one next!”



“Let’s go,” Hermione said. “Dumbledore told me that we should head up to the Astronomy Tower next.”



“Why?” Ron asked, but Hermione was already running off. Harry and Ron looked at each other quizzically, but followed her anyway.



They ran along the corridor for about a minute until Hermione pulled them into a doorway to the side...but too late, as the Death Eater running towards them had seen them. Smirking, Ron took the same double-sided blade that Harry and Hermione had used, flinging it at the approaching Death Eater, who ran away howling as well.



“Dumbledore must know what he’s doing,” Harry remarked. “We haven’t even had to use our wands!”



“You don’t have your wands, do you?” Hermione asked worriedly. “Dumbledore asked me to leave mine in the dorm, in case we do get overcome and captured.”



“Brilliant,” Ron said, shaking his head. “Because the first thing we’re going to worry about if we get caught is our wands, not our lives.”



“Would you like to spend a lifetime in Azkaban if they scan your wand and find out you don’t even exist for another four years?” Hermione asked quietly, which shut Ron up for the time being.



They made it to a staircase through a side hall, where they ascended two floors to the seventh, where the entrance to the Astronomy Tower awaited them at the end of a long passageway. As they made a run for it, however, the trio looked back to find about half a dozen Death Eaters running behind them, firing spells. Without speaking, Hermione drew a flat, disc-like object from her belt and dropped it on the ground behind her. It expanded into a large, flexible wall that filled the whole corridor behind them, deflecting the spells back towards the Death Eaters, hitting some of them and causing others to dive out of the way. Harry and Ron dropped theirs, as well, for extra safety, and they ascended the stairway to the Astronomy Tower.



To their surprise, when they arrived at the top of the stairway, Dumbledore was waiting for them. “I’ve just finished putting the protections back in place,” he said to them, smiling. “The Death Eaters are trapped in the school.”



“Are you mental?!” Ron burst out, surprising the headmaster mildly. “Don’t you think someone could be killed?”



“As you may have noticed, no close-range combat has occurred tonight,” Dumbledore said calmly. “Nor will it. I have contacted the Ministry already, and they should be arriving shortly. Ah, there they are now.” As he spoke, he pointed out onto the grounds: several Ministry officials ran up to the school, wands drawn.



“I think some close-range combat is about to occur, sir,” Harry couldn’t help but say.



“No students will be harmed, however,” Dumbledore said. “It is the Ministry’s prerogative if they choose to fight; I will lose no sleep over it.” They watched the Ministry officials run into the school, where the sound of yelling and fighting met their ears as the front doors closed behind them.



“I believe now is the time to use the remainder of your devices,” Dumbledore said. He handed them each a broom, which had been sitting in a corner, waiting for use. “Fly into the Entrance Hall, throw your belts to the ground, and fly away as quickly as possible. I do not doubt that you can be in and out before they realize you are there.”



“Yes, sir,” Hermione said before the boys could protest again. She took off her belt, and mounted her broom, which the boys also did. They flew over the battlements and down to the front doors, where Hermione quickly unlocked with her wand. They then flattened themselves against their brooms and flew straight through the battle raging inside the Entrance Hall, dropping their belts as they did, not stopping to see the damage they’d done. They flew into the Grand Staircase, where they flew straight through the center upwards to the seventh floor, where they landed on the landing and dismounted.



They ran to the Room of Requirement, where they found the door waiting for them. They went through and found the students and teachers huddled together, cheering when they saw the three teens run in.



“The battle is over,” Hermione announced. “We’ve won.”



Everyone cheered louder still as they all piled out of the Room of Requirement. “Everyone stay away from the Entrance Hall!” Hermione yelled over the turmoil, but everyone ignored her. They ran straight towards the Entrance Hall to see what had happened. Fearing the worst, the trio mounted the brooms again and flew back to the Entrance Hall ahead of everyone else, and what they saw relieved them.



The Death Eaters had gone, but the future Death Eaters were chained to the wall. Dumbledore was speaking with Ministry officials as the kids watched from the wall in stony silence. “Professor, the other students are coming,” Hermione said breathlessly to him as they ran in.



“Very well,” Dumbledore said. “Gentlemen, if you will kindly dispose us of these treasonous children, you can be on our way.” The Ministry officials nodded, lifting the future Death Eaters from the wall with magic and walking out of the school, off to Azkaban.



The other students ran in just a few seconds later, asking what had happened. “Everyone, please go back into the Great Hall for explanations,” Dumbledore said to the crowd. Then quietly, to the trio, he said, “I think you three have earned some rest.” As he led the other students into the Great Hall, the trio ran up to Gryffindor Tower.



“We did it, Harry!” Hermione said happily.



“Yeah...we showed those Death Eaters!” Ron cut in.



“Not that, Ron,” Hermione said. “We got rid of everyone you wanted to, Harry! Now, all we need to do is modify the memories of everyone you told, and we can leave!”



As this fact registered with Harry, a sickening feeling swept over him as he thought of James, Lily and Sirius, and how much fun he’d had here. Although he rather thought Ron and Hermione deserved to get back as soon as possible, he only had one thought in his mind.



I don’t want to go back.




Author’s Note: Okay, guys, I need to say a few things regarding the next chapter, which may take a while, so please take a moment to go to my author's page and read the "Story Updates" section. Thanks, and please review below!
Reconciliation by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Hopefully this chapter title holds true, also, between me and my moderator, over our latest argument over Chapter 18...as a peace treaty, I made major modifications to this chapter, and hopefully it will be validated now. Hopefully.


As expected, the media had a field day following the defeat of the Death Eaters and capture of students attempting to fight alongside them. When asked by the Prophet to recount the events of the battle, Dumbledore declined to give details of the battle, but only mentioned that no close-range combat was used up until the Ministry’s arrival, and the use of several D.A.D. packets was a key factor.

Many students swarmed Harry, Ron and Hermione throughout the holiday, asking them to recount the events, as well, but they also declined, saying only what Dumbledore had. It became worse once students returned home to start the second half of the term, and they finally had to ask Dumbledore to make a public announcement during dinner the first night everyone returned to leave them alone about it, which ended the chaos wherever they went.

It was not without a price, however. Many students came up individually to argue with them, saying that their parents were threatening to come and take them home. Among these students was Lily, who approached Harry angrily after Transfiguration the first day back from break. “I can’t believe you, Harry,” she said coldly.

“What did I do this time?” Harry asked exasperatedly, turning to her.

“Everything!” she yelled angrily. “I know you were involved with Snape’s death somehow...and Peter’s capture wasn’t an accident...and then you admit you’re dating someone else while we were kissing? You WANT me taken home from the school, don’t you?”

“No!” Harry said. “No...it’s not like that! Can...can you just let me explain? Please?”

“What’s there to say, Harry?” Lily asked quietly. “Are you finally going to admit that you were dating someone named Ginny? Or that you killed Snape? Or...”

“Please!” Harry repeated firmly. “I need to tell you what James tried to tell everyone the day we dueled with each other.”

Lily considered him for a moment, eyes narrowed. “Fine,” she said. “Meet me in the common room after dinner, and you’ll tell me everything.”

“Agreed,” Harry said, sighing with relief. “You won’t be upset after I explain, I promise.”

Lily then left the corridor to go to lunch. Harry was about to go find Ron and Hermione when a first-year walked up to him. “You’re Harry Potter, right?” the first-year asked.

“Yes,” Harry said, bemused. This was the first time someone had not known who he was upon seeing him. But then he became annoyed. “And I’m not going to tell you what happened over the break, so you can just...”

“That’s okay,” the boy said quickly. “Professor Dumbledore just sent me to tell you that he wants to see you in his office.” He then scurried off, looking over his shoulder as he did. Harry frowned after him, but instead of walking down to the Great Hall for lunch, he headed for the third floor, to Dumbledore’s office.

Dumbledore was waiting for him there. “Thank you for coming, Harry,” he said when Harry stepped into the office. He sat in the wooden chair across from Dumbledore, who was examining Harry in the piercing way that made Harry uncomfortable.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” Harry asked tentatively.

“Indeed,” Dumbledore replied. “I want to apologize, Harry, for what I put you through...”

“It’s okay; you got most of the students to back off in the corridors,” Harry said quickly.

“I was referring to the events that occurred over this Christmas break,” Dumbledore said quietly, which shut Harry up. “I know that what I did was putting you in danger, and I’m sorry for blackmailing you like I did, Harry. You shouldn’t have been put through that, as safe as I may have thought it was.”

“It’s okay, sir,” Harry replied. “I’m used to doing that sort of thing, anyway.”

“That’s what worries me,” Dumbledore replied. “Many of my students have been taken home from Hogwarts in the past few days, and I’m afraid I might have “ ah “ been mistaken in thinking I should do such a thing, and just to get a few people arrested. I know for a fact at least two Ministry officials were killed in battle, and although they weren’t directly linked to my actions, I feel a deep sense of remorse in thinking of their families, as it was Christmas at the time of their deaths.”

Harry nodded sadly. “It was a little chancy,” he agreed. “I mean...blackmailing me and then forcing me to fight...”

“I will always regret it,” Dumbledore said. “Will you forgive an old man’s mistake, in the hopes that it will not happen again in the future?”

Harry had a brief flashback to the previous times he’d felt let down by Dumbledore, and vowed to change things so they would not happen again. “Apology accepted, sir,” he said.

“Thank you,” Dumbledore said. “You may go.”

Harry nodded and left the office. Although he knew that his job in the future was now done, he felt a stronger pull than ever to his new life here in the past.




At seven, right after arriving back at the common room from the Great Hall after dinner, Harry met Lily, who was sitting in an armchair in front of the fire. “You ready?” Harry asked tentatively.

“Okay, let’s go,” Lily said coldly, standing up and turning to ascend the stairs to the girls’ dorm. Harry followed, knowing that any second the stairs would turn into a smooth surface and throw him back down, but it didn’t. Apparently, in the presence of a girl, you could be allowed up the stairs. Harry walked to the top quickly nevertheless, following Lily into the dorm.

Luckily, it was empty. Harry didn’t see what the big deal was about not allowing boys into the girls’ dormitory, since it was exactly the same, but included a few more girlish decorations around the four-posters. Lily sat on her bed, and Harry sat opposite her, Silencing the door and locking it. “What was that for?” Lily demanded, eyeing him nervously, now suspicious he might try something.

“I don’t want to be overheard,” Harry said. “Lily, listen...I’m not from where you think I am.”

“You told me you were from America,” she said. “What...are you just from another part of the U.K. or something?”

“No, you don’t get it,” Harry said, sighing. “I’m not from this time, Lily. I’m from the future.”

Lily looked at him for a few seconds, and then smirked. “Nice try, Potter,” she said. “For a moment, I thought you were serious about something!”

“I am serious, Lily!” Harry said. “I’m from 1997, and Ron and Hermione and me got sent back in time to the day we came into the Great Hall in October. And I...I’m your son from the future.”

“Impossible,” Lily breathed.

“No, it’s not,” Harry insisted. “I have an old photo album back in my dorm, and it’s made of magical leather that can transport you through time.”

“But then why did you kill Severus?” Lily asked. “And arrest Peter?”

“Because they were Death Eaters,” Harry replied, to which Lily gasped. “Not only that, back in my time, Snape killed Dumbledore, and Peter...Peter turned you and James over to Voldemort.”

Lily squeaked with fright at the name, but paused when she realized what he’d said. “Me and James?” she repeated. “You can’t mean...”

“It’s true,” Harry said. “Have you ever wondered why James and I look so much alike? I’m his son...and you’re my mum. I got your eyes.”

Lily looked at his similarly-green eyes, then frowned. “Me and James?” she asked, grimacing. “What love potion did he give me?”

“You chose to marry him,” Harry explained. “He’s not a complete git, you know...you just don’t give him the chance to redeem himself.”

“He’s had plenty of chances to redeem himself!” Lily said indignantly. “Sure, if he’d done something admirable, like...save someone’s life...”

An icy chill swept over Harry as she said that. James had saved Snape’s life from Lupin originally. Is that why she changed her mind? he thought. Will she never consider it again if he never did save him? “I have to go,” Harry said quickly, and got up. Right before he left the room, he turned back to Lily. “By the way, ‘Ginny’ was my girlfriend in the future. We broke up.” With that, he turned, leaving a confused Lily behind him.




“All right, Harry,” Hermione said when Harry came back down to the common room. She had been waiting for him. “Let’s go to the Room of Requirement.”

“Why?” Harry asked, alarmed.

“Memory Charm lessons, remember?” she said. “We’ve already gotten rid of everyone you want to; now we just need to modify everyone’s memory that knows about our secret.”

“Oh...right,” Harry said absentmindedly. “Sure.” So he followed Hermione out of the common room and into the Room of Requirement, where Tipsy was waiting for them.

“Now, Harry, today I talked to Ron in Herbology about you,” Hermione said. “I want you to try and fix my memory, so I think it was me talking to you about you.”

“Okay,” Harry said. He made the image in his head of talking to Hermione about various things concerning himself, then muttered, “Obliviate.” Hermione’s eyes slid out of focus, and she snapped to, looking at him curiously. “Okay, Hermione,” Harry said, “Erm...what did you and Ron talk about during Herbology today?”

“Ron?” Hermione said, confused. “Wasn’t I talking to you?” Tipsy then snapped her fingers, and Hermione returned to normal again. “Brilliant, Harry!” she exclaimed excitedly. “Now, try it again, but this time...”

They practiced for at least an hour, working on various memories of Hermione’s, and each time, Harry was successful. After a particularly-difficult memory that involved a conversation Hermione had had with one of Lily’s friends a few days after their arrival in October, Hermione called an end to it. “I think you’re ready now, Harry,” she said. “Tomorrow, you can modify everyone’s memories after classes are over, and we can go home!”

Harry dreaded the moment all night long and the next day, as well. During his classes the next day, he watched James, Remus, Sirius, and Lily do various things, trying to convince himself that it was for the best, but he couldn’t bring himself to accept that they would forget he existed by dinner...by which time he may be gone. After the last class of the day, Charms, Ron and Hermione caught up with him.

“All right, Harry,” Hermione said, “we’ll be waiting up in the common room for you with the album. You just modify everyone’s memory that you need to, and we’ll be gone within the hour.”

“Fine,” Harry sighed, and he followed James, Sirius and Remus from the classroom. When James noticed him, he turned to face Harry, glaring at him.

“What do you want?” he demanded.

Harry sighed. “Listen, James...” he said. “And Remus and Sirius, too...it’s been great meeting you all and everything, but...it’s time I went home to my time.”

James nodded. “I’m going to have to modify your memories, though,” Harry continued, sighing, and the three blanched. “Don’t worry, though; I’ve learned how to do it properly, so you won’t forget everything.”

The three boys exchanged nervous glances. “I’ll go first,” James said finally, stepping forward. “The faster I can forget I ever met you, the better.” Harry nodded and pulled out his wand as James closed his eyes, trying to relax. Harry pointed his wand at the other boy for several seconds, examining his future father, trying to summon the strength to finally wipe out the memories of meeting his father for the first, and probably the last, time.

He finally took a deep breath and said, “Obliviate!”

***

Half an hour later, Harry walked up to the boys’ dormitories, where Ron and Hermione were waiting for him, album in hand. “Did you do it?” Hermione asked excitedly. “Did you wipe everyone’s memories?”

“Yeah...sort of,” Harry said, frowning.

“What do you mean?” Hermione asked.

“I...oh, Hermione, I can’t do it!” he said, hitting himself in the forehead. “I couldn’t bring myself to wipe their memories of me completely! The only thing I did was wipe James’ and Lily’s memories of the bad things that happened between us! I couldn’t...I can’t...”

Hermione examined him closely. “Fine; I’ll finish the job for you, then,” she said gruffly, walking towards the door.

“No!” Harry said. “You...Hermione, please, listen to me...I don’t want to go back.”

“You’ve told me before,” Hermione replied. “You wanted to spend more time with...”

“No, you don’t get it!” Harry yelled at her, exploding with emotion. “I don’t ever want to go back! Do you know how nice it is to get to meet your dead parents for the first time...make friends with them? Not to mention I don’t have a Dark wizard after me, and I can go anywhere I want without being stared at or talked about behind me back! I’d much rather be here than back home!”

“You have people that love you back home, Harry!” Ron protested. “My mum...everyone in the Order...we need you.”

“Not anymore,” Harry said gruffly. “Get lost. Get out of here. Go home, you two. I’m staying here.”

Hermione stared at him for a few seconds, shocked, then glared at him when she saw that he wasn’t joking. “Fine!” she yelled. She walked over to the album, drew her wand, and said, “Diffindo!” A corner of the leather on the cover ripped itself from the rest of the album, and Hermione grabbed it and handed it to Harry. “Take this, in case you change your mind,” she muttered without looking at him.

Before anyone could protest, she grabbed the album in one hand, Ron’s arm in the other, and yelled, “If we could go back to July 31, 1997, it would be perfect!” With that, Harry’s two best friends disappeared.

In a fury, Harry ran down to the common room, walked over to the fire, and threw the piece of leather into the fire. I will never go back, he thought to himself, taking great satisfaction in watching the red leather shrivel up, turn black, and finally turn to ash in the grate...his last tie to his old life.



Author’s Note: I’ve been planning this chapter for a long time...and I’m still not done with the fic! Tell me what you think of this turn of events in a review, please! Thanks for reading!

Also, this chapter was extra-long because I basically used most of my original Chapter 19 and added lots onto it, such as Dumbledore's reconciliation with Harry and Harry's reconciliation with Lily. Oddly enough, this was titled "Reconciliation" long before I added that in, but now it just better fits the title. Thanks for reading; please review!
A New Life by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Here's Ch. 20!


Once Harry had gotten over his initial anger at Ron and Hermione, he was terrified of what he’d done. What if something horrible happened, and he had to go back? What if he got homesick, and he had no way of seeing his friends again? He started to doubt himself over his decision, and he worried about it for days.

However, he had accomplished what he’d always wanted to do. He’d avenged James, Lily, Sirius and Dumbledore by eliminating their murderers (or in his parents’ case, the reason they’d died), and now he got to spend time with them indefinitely, and as kids, no less. James and Lily got along better with him now that he’d wiped their memories of the bad things that happened between them, and he basically filled in for Peter as the fourth Marauder.

An added bonus was his relationship with Lily. As expected, she wanted nothing to do with him romantically now that she knew the truth, but they might as well have been dating, for all the time they spent together. Lily listened eagerly to Harry’s descriptions of the future, from the new types of brooms that had been released to the new shops in Hogsmeade. He was now doing what he’d told James he had been doing while dating her...spending some mother-son time with Lily.

Harry had a wonderful thought one day as he, James, Remus and Sirius talked about Quidditch. Ron had once shown him a list of the past winners of the Quidditch World Cup (taking place every fourth year), and since he knew them by memory, he could make a fortune betting on the team that wins. He could even bet before the season ever started, and almost anyone would take it, thinking him crazy...especially in 1978, in another year and a half, when lowly Israel scraped the win from Austria.

All these new opportunities that had opened up for him were changing his mind about his decision to burn the piece of leather. No Voldemort...no people staring at him unabashedly in the hallways...and, of course, James, Lily, Remus, and Sirius. He even planned to go with James, Sirius and Remus to explore the castle, and he planned on showing them the undiscovered passageway to the Three Broomsticks that hadn’t been mapped yet on the Marauder’s Map.

Speaking of the Marauder’s Map...Sirius made the other three boys laugh when he transfigured the Map so, instead of reading Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, it read, Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, and Prongs Jr.. Harry had never had this much fun with Ron and Hermione, because Hermione preferred to study all the time and Ron was too conservative to break rules constantly.

The only problem was Dumbledore’s reaction. When Harry told him that he planned to stay in the past forever, Dumbledore was “immensely disappointed” in him to put it in his terms, especially when he learned that Harry had no way of returning to the future anyway. Thus, he was forced to enroll Harry officially into Hogwarts, and Harry threatened to tell the whole wizarding world his secret if he refused.

Meanwhile, Harry created a completely new alias for himself. He became Harry Orpheus Potter, orphaned to Gregory and Fiona Potter, Muggles. Thus, he was able to become an actual person in the past, and not just a “ghost” with no identity as before. After talking with James on the matter, and writing a letter to Mr. and Mrs. Potter (Harry’s grandparents), Harry managed to convince them to let him stay at their mansion over the summer.

“It’s no trouble, really,” James explained once they’d received the news. “I knew they’d let you. I mean, it’s an eight-bedroom house, and there’s only three people living there now. Besides, Dad makes a hundred thousand Galleons a year working as an Unspeakable, in the Department of Mysteries, so for just one summer, they won’t mind feeding you.”

“Your dad’s an Unspeakable?” Harry asked, surprised. “I never knew that!”

“Ever wonder where your great fortune from your parents came from?” James said, smirking. “From my dad. They have to pay him a lot so he won’t talk about what goes on in there. He won’t even talk about it with me or Mum...man, would I like to know what goes on in there!”

“I know!” Harry said excitedly. “I went there, in my fifth year, back in 1996.” He then proceeded to tell James of all the things he’d seen or heard about in the Department of Mysteries, such as the brains in the tank, the Time-Turners, the planets, the circular room, the Hall of Prophecies, and of course, the veil.

“What do you suppose the veil does?” James asked excitedly.

“Apparently it kills you,” Harry said glumly. “It’s what killed Sirius.” That shut James up about the Department of Mysteries for a while.

It was a bit odd for Harry, not having his great fortune from the future anymore, but it was almost refreshing at the same time. He was excited to be getting out of Hogwarts in another year and a half, and he would be able to make his own way in the world. He could pursue his dream of becoming an Auror “ and at the perfect time, too, as the Ministry was hiring more trainees than ever in light of the recent events at Hogwarts “ and make his own money. He’d never liked the idea of having so much money without working for it, anyway.

As those happy days went by, and the days rolled into weeks, and the weeks into two months, and Harry found himself at the beginning of spring, over a month since he last saw Ron and Hermione, he wondered if his two former best friends would have a change of heart. "Surely," he told himself, "if I’d caused any trouble in the future, they’d come and force me to come back, so I can’t have done anything wrong yet! Maybe they realized this is all for the better!" But even still, that fact nagged at the back of his mind for quite some time.

Without all the trouble with Voldemort on his mind, Harry was able to appreciate the little things he hadn’t had time for before. He noted just how beautiful the grounds looked, with the flowers starting to poke up from under the nearly-melted snow, and leaves beginning to grow on the trees (even the Whomping Willow, much to its displeasure). He also noticed all the work the staff did to make the castle itself presentable...spring decorations and such. Although he didn’t share these newfound discoveries with anyone, he enjoyed them nevertheless.

Then, one sleepy Saturday morning, Harry awoke to find students crowding around the notice board. “What’s going on?” Harry asked Lily, walking up behind her as they both tried to read the new bulletin that had been posted.

Lily squinted her eyes. “Looks like it’s a Hogsmeade weekend announcement,” she said. “It’s on the last weekend of the month.”

“Want to go?” Harry asked. “You know...just to hang out?”

“Sure!” Lily said, smiling.

“Cool,” Harry said, walking out of the common room, headed for the Great Hall to eat breakfast. It was a rare thing, really, to be able to have a second chance at a date that went awry, although it wouldn’t really be a date this time. I love my life, Harry thought happily. The feeling wouldn’t last.

He entered the Great Hall and spotted James, Sirius and Remus sitting at a far end of the table, talking. He walked over to them and sat beside them.

“Hey, guys,” Harry said, smiling at them. “You see the message about the Hogsmeade weekend?”

“Yeah,” James said, smiling back at him. “And get this “ that Saturday is my birthday “ the 27th. We’re going to stay late at the Hog’s Head “ that new pub south of the Three Broomsticks “ and celebrate with some firewhiskey. Wanna come?”

Harry almost replied “Yes” without thinking, but held his tongue. He remembered his prior commitment with Lily, and wondered if he could do both. He figured, however, that he could spend the majority of the day with Lily, as long as he could get away at the end of the day to meet James, Sirius and Remus. “Sounds great!” he said. “I’ll be there.”

“Cool,” James said, nodding. “Wait...you’re seventeen, right?”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Well, technically, I’m -4 years old, since I’m not born for another four years, but yeah, my seventeenth birthday was just before I was sent back in time.”

“Good, then,” James said. “You’re legal. It should be fun.”

“Yeah,” Harry said indifferently, grabbing a plate and piling it with food.

***

There was still a long while before the Hogsmeade weekend rolled around, however. The real O.W.L. and N.E.W.T exams were in May, and it was well-known in Hogwarts that around mid-March, the homework load started getting much heavier as the teachers started their six-week test prep period. Harry hardly had any time to himself as he studied hard, doing his homework for all his classes nearly four hours a day.

However, Harry started making a point of doing all of his weekend homework on Saturday, so he had all of Sunday off, and he started getting James, Sirius and Remus into the same habit, as well. Together, they played Quidditch with each other (James was the captain of the Gryffindor team as Seeker, so Harry and Remus played against him and Sirius), explored the grounds as before, and just plain hung out with each other.

The Sunday before the Hogsmeade weekend, James had the urge to hit on Lily. “I think it’s time to pay Evans a visit,” he said, smirking.

“You know it won’t work, James,” Sirius warned. “It’s never worked before. Besides, she’s probably studying right now.”

“All the better,” James said, and they headed up to the common room to find her. Harry had mixed emotions on the matter of James and Lily now...he still rather liked Lily, as she reminded him so much of Ginny, but then again, James deserved her much more than he did. He decided to appear nonchalant about the whole thing as they walked up to the redheaded girl, who was, as predicted, reading a Charms textbook over furiously.

“Wait...James?” Harry asked right before they headed over to her. He pulled the boy aside to talk to him quietly. “Have you ever considered, you know...trying to be a bit more intimate and caring when you ask her out?”

“Why?” James asked dumbly.

Harry smacked his forehead. “Maybe it never occurred to you that Lily prefers it to troublemakers?” Harry asked sarcastically.

“Hey, it’s not my fault that I’m not her type,” he said, shrugging. “It’s just who I am.”

“Well, then you’re a lost cause,” Harry replied, shaking his head. James considered the suggestion for a moment, then nodded and walked over to Lily, who looked up at him suspiciously.

“You know, you don’t really need to study Charms, Evans,” James said, shrugging. “You’re so good at them already.” Harry grinned; James was finally starting to come around.

Unfortunately, Lily either didn’t see it, or didn’t want to. “What do you want, Potter?” she asked coldly, putting the book on her lap and glaring at him.

“Nothing,” James said, holding up his hands to signal a truce. “I just wanted to talk.”

“About what?”

“Oh, you know,” James said, shrugging. “Catch up on things...after all, according to Harry, we’re supposed to end up married.”

Lily scoffed. “Just because Harry says it happens doesn’t mean it will,” she replied. “It’s not impossible to change time, you know.”

“So you’re just going to deny Harry his parents?” James asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Don’t hide behind Harry anymore, James!” Lily said, frowning. “This is about you and me, and I’m not about to date you anytime soon, much less marry you!”

James sighed. “Then what do you want from me?” he asked.

“Just go away,” Lily said, opening her book again. She didn’t talk to him again, and finally accepting defeat, James sighed and walked away from her. “Thanks for the advice,” James muttered to Harry as he walked by.

“Hey, you weren’t mad at me before!” Harry protested. “Just because I want to save you and Lily from death-”

“I wasn’t being sarcastic,” James said, turning to face Harry. “Thanks, really. I guess it just isn’t meant to be.” With that, he trudged out of the common room, obviously dejected. Sirius and Remus, torn between staying with Harry or following James, decided to console their old friend, rushing out of the portrait hole after James. Harry took a deep breath and sat next to Lily.

“So you won’t even consider dating James?” Harry asked quietly. Lily look up at him and sighed, frustrated.

“No,” she said. “Even though you say that’s what is supposed to happen in the future, I don’t have any problem with altering history to that extent, if it means never having anything to do with that scumbag.”

Harry groaned. “James is a good guy!” he persisted. “You just don’t want to see it in him, but he can actually be sensitive and ‘nice’ sometimes! You didn’t notice that he gave you a compliment earlier, did you?”

Lily stood up. “I don’t need your advice, Harry,” she said sternly. “I can take care of myself.” With that, she walked up to the girls’ dorm to read in peace. Harry sighed; this wasn’t working too well. He didn’t particularly care what happened now, but James was his friend, and he didn’t like seeing him upset. Maybe he could work things out at the Hogsmeade weekend...

And then a brilliant plan popped into his head.


Author’s Note: How do you like Harry’s new life so far? And what do you think this ‘big plan’ of his is? You can take a wild guess, or just wait until Ch. 21 to find out...thanks for reading! Please review!
Intoxication by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
WARNING: Some adult material is contained in this chapter, including alcohol abuse and some innuendo. Read at your own discretion.



On the morning of Saturday the 27th, Harry got up as he’d done in December and dressed warmly for Hogsmeade. He decided not to wear the heavy overcoat, since it was spring and the snow had long melted away, but Hogsmeade was notorious for being chilly, so he put on three layers anyway. He walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast, where he met James, Sirius and Remus. “Ready for the big party?” Harry said, grinning as he sat beside James.



“Prongs doesn’t seem to be too happy about his birthday,” Sirius remarked. Indeed, James was staring at his plate, expressionless. “Apparently, not having Lily is hard on him.”



“Still?” Harry asked, sighing. James nodded his head slowly.



“Hey, James, lighten up a little,” Remus said, hitting his friend playfully on the shoulder, which received no response. “It’s your seventeenth birthday! You come of-age today!”



“It’s just another birthday,” James muttered. “So I’m allowed to legally do magic now. Big whoop. I already do, anyway.”



“You’ll feel better at the party,” Sirius said, then whispered just to Harry, “Yeah, once he’s had a few firewhiskies to loosen him up.”



Harry laughed nervously. He’d never had alcohol before, but figured that if he could overcome the Imperius Curse, he could overcome a little intoxication, as well. Besides, the next day was Sunday; nothing bad could come of a hangover, anyway. Assuming his plan worked, however.



As he’d done last time, and this time with James’ permission, he copied James’ permission slip and got past Filch at the school entrance. He met up with Lily at the carriages, where they rode into Hogsmeade together, chatting about anything that came to mind...Quidditch, teachers, etc. “Where should we go?” Lily asked when they arrived in the town.



“Why don’t you choose?” Harry said wisely, now knowing that it was smart to let the girls choose.



As on their last date, they went to The Three Broomsticks, where they had butterbeers. Harry decided to pose the question there. “So...how late are you planning to stay?” he asked innocently.



“Oh, I don’t know,” Lily said, sighing. “Whenever we get bored, I guess.”



“Well, listen...” Harry cleared his throat. “I know you don’t like James and all, but I still think you should give him a chance.”



Lily groaned. “Can’t you just drop it? Just because we get married in your future doesn’t mean it will happen again.”



“I told you, I don’t care about the future anymore,” Harry said exasperatedly. “But James is my friend, and I want to make sure he’s happy, and I’m just going to find someone else to marry anyway, so I just think...”



“No!” Lily exclaimed, putting her hands on her hips.



“Let me finish.” Harry held up a hand to silence her. “Today is James’ birthday, and me, Sirius, Remus and James are gonna have a few drinks at the Hog’s Head. I won’t ask you to...you know...do anything with him, but it would mean a lot to him if you were there.”



Lily pondered this for a few seconds, then sighed. “All right, I’ll do it,” she said, and Harry grinned. “But not for James,” she said sternly. “I’m doing this because I trust you.”



“Thanks,” Harry said, nodding, relieved that Phase One of his plan was complete.



Now that that was out of the way, Harry could relax and actually enjoy the time with Lily. He felt much more comfortable now that they weren’t dating, so he wasn’t pressured to do something he thought Lily would want him to do, like...kiss her, for instance. Instead, they chatted about each others’ lives, classes, or anything that struck their fancy.



They didn’t see James, Remus or Sirius until about three in the afternoon, where they bumped into each other in Honeydukes, where Harry found them browsing the various candies and sweets along with the fifty-odd students crammed into the small shop. “Hey, Harry!” Sirius exclaimed. “Ready for the big party?”



“Yeah!” Harry exclaimed, then lowered his voice. “And so is someone else...” Conveniently, Lily had shied away from the boys, and was browsing the back of the store. He motioned to her, and Sirius followed his eyes and saw Lily. His jaw dropped.



“Evans?” he asked, incredulous. “But she hates James!”



“I know,” Harry sighed. “But I convinced her to go, just because I told her it would make me happy if she went.”



“James will be happy,” Sirius said, smirking. “Although I’d better not mention the last part.”



“Good idea,” Harry said, winking. Sirius moved off to tell James, while Harry rejoined Lily at the back of the store. “Well, it’s all set,” he told her. “The party’s in a few hours.”



“Great,” Lily said, not hiding her sarcasm. Harry shook his head, but held his tongue.



Meanwhile, James, upon hearing that Lily would be an added guest at his party, had cheered up considerably. Lily agreed to go with some of her friends she’d spotted down the street while Harry, Sirius, Remus and James went up to the Shrieking Shack to talk privately.



“Listen, James,” Harry said. “About Lily...”



“Brilliant!” James said, patting Harry on the back. “Say no more. Thanks a million. How’d you get her to go?”



“Just your charm, I guess,” Harry said, shrugging and grinning. James’ smile fell.



“Okay, what’s really up?” he asked somberly. Harry shook his head.



“All right, all right, she’s not going because of you,” he admitted. “She’s going because I said it would make me happy if it made you happy.”



Harry thought James would explode at him for this new revelation, but James nodded slowly and then shrugged. “Better than nothing, I guess,” he said. “Besides...a few Firewhiskies might loosen her up.”



“Come off it, James,” Remus piped in. “You don’t really expect her to drink while we’re there, do you?”



“Why not?” James asked, grinning. “What else is she gonna do in a bar for a few hours? I’m sure Harry could get her to...”



“You shouldn’t make Harry do your dirty work!” Sirius said to James angrily. “Besides, trying to get Lily to like you by getting her drunk is wrong!”



“Since when have you been my father?” James replied hotly to his friend. “I don’t answer to you. It’s my birthday, and I’ll do what I want.” With that, he stormed away from the three boys angrily. They all looked at each other and shrugged.



“He’ll calm down,” Remus said cheerfully. “Besides, it’s not like he hasn’t had Firewhiskey before illegally...I’ve seen him after a few drinks. He just lets loose.”



“Good,” Harry said. “Because I have a plan...”



***



At seven, after an early dinner, Harry and Lily walked down to the Hog’s Head for the party. It was completely empty except for Sirius, James, and Remus, plus the disgruntled-looking bar owner, who was cleaning glasses, obviously knowing what was soon to happen at a seventeenth birthday party.



Sure enough, the first thing James did was put a large handful of Galleons on the bar and say, “How many Firewhiskies can I get with this?”



The bartender considered his money, then filled most of the glasses he had with Firewhiskey. James and Sirius instantly began downing glasses left and right, while Remus and Harry sat calmly and sipped at their glasses slowly. Lily sat in the back of the bar, not daring to touch a glass. Harry felt a tingling, burning sensation in his throat as he drank the liquid, and even though he’d barely had any, he could already feel the effects of the alcohol on his body.



He walked over to Lily, grateful that he could, thus far, walk straight, and he sat beside her. “C’mon, Lily,” he said exasperatedly. “This is supposed to be a party! Won’t you have anything?”



“I told you, I won’t entertain James,” she said, glaring at him. “He’ll be drunk anyway; why should I be at the same time?”



“This isn’t about James,” Harry replied. “This isn’t even about me! This is about you. If you’re just going to sit here all night, there’s no reason for you to be here at all! At least do something worthwhile while you’re here!”



“What, like drink alcohol and do something I’ll regret in the morning?” Lily scoffed.



“Come on,” Harry coaxed her. “Look at James...” He motioned to the other boy, who was chugging Firewhiskies left and right, alongside a very red-faced Sirius. “He’ll be out in a few minutes. No one can withstand alcohol for that long, much less James.”



Lily glared at him. “Fine,” she muttered, and grabbed a mug of Firewhiskey. Although she hardly went as fast as any of the boys, she still drank a considerable amount of the drink.



By seven-thirty, Harry had had too much. He could barely think straight, and he had trouble sitting up straight, much less walking. James and Sirius were passed out in a corner, and Remus was attending to them, while Lily sat sullenly in another corner, sipping yet another drink, starting to turn a little pink in the face. Harry thought it would be a good time to continue with his plan, while he was still mostly awake. He stumbled over to the boys in the corner, doing his best to look sober.



“Hey, Remus,” he said, “I’ll take care of James and Sirius. Go ahead and head up to the castle. I’ll set them up in a room upstairs for the night.”



“Thanks, Harry,” Remus said, yawning. “I always knew the party would end up like this, but blimey, I’m tired.” He walked out of the pub, stretching his arms. Harry smirked, and walked up to the bartender.



“Excuse me,” Harry said to him, “I’d like to let these two stay upstairs for the night. Is there any way to make sure they won’t die from the alcohol?”



“Yeah,” the bartender said gruffly. He pulled out his wand, walked over to the boys, and muttered an incantation, and nothing of consequence happened, although Harry could now be assured they would survive the night.



“Thanks,” Harry said. Then he lowered his voice so Lily couldn’t hear him. “Could you “ er “ put them in separate rooms?”



The bartender looked at him curiously, but nodded. Harry extracted some gold from James’ pocket and gave it to him, and the bartender levitated the boys into the air, bringing them up the stairs up to their rooms. Then, Harry approached Lily, who already looked pretty overwhelmed by the drink. She, like Harry, had never had Firewhiskey before.



“Well?” Harry said to her, raising his eyebrows. “Glad you tried it? And see? No harm done.”



Lily chuckled nervously. “I feel so...exposed,” she laughed. “I’ve never felt like this before. It’s sort of...fun.”



“Then you shouldn’t be going anywhere tonight,” Harry coaxed. “Spend the night here. I can find you a room.”



Lily looked up at Harry curiously. “Are you saying you want to spend the night with me, Harry Potter?” she asked coyly.



Harry’s stomach lurched at the thought. “No!” he said, much too quickly. He hadn’t expected her to be as sober as she was at this point.



Lily laughed. “You know, Harry,” she said, “you’re a great guy. I think...well, since you’re not going back to the future, anyway...”



Harry’s stomach dropped out. His plan was not going well, and the alcohol wasn’t helping. He could still remember, possibly enhanced because of the Firewhiskey, all the great times with her that he’d had, and she looked...beautiful, despite her askew hair and slightly out-of-focus eyes. Lily took his hand and stood up, smiling at him.



“All right,” she said softly. She led him towards the stairs before he could protest, but then, Harry wondered if he even wanted to. His head was spinning at a rapid rate...he couldn’t think straight...and then everything was a blur as Lily led him into a vacant room, closing and locking the door.




Author’s Note: This chapter was very different for me to write, because it has a much more adult theme to it, with some alcohol references and mild innuendo, and being only 15, I’ve never experienced any of this...but this is pretty much the only chapter I’ll ever write that does. Thanks for reading; leave your thoughts (harsh reviews discouraged, but it you must...) in a review, please!

The Next Morning by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Pretty self-explanatory...this chapter details what happens the next morning (duh), and also a bit further into the future...but I'll say no more; you'll have to wait and find out!
Harry awoke groggily the next morning, feeling like he’d been hit by a train. He sat up slowly, looking around and taking in his surroundings. He was in the Hog’s Head, in one of the rooms upstairs. Then, as his mind slowly began churning again, he remembered the events of the night before, and jerked his head to the left.

Lily was sleeping beside him.

He was so surprised, he promptly fell out of bed...luckily, he was still clothed. He got up, grabbed his cloak and shoes (which lay in a heap beside Lily’s off to the side) and ran from the room before she had a chance to wake up. He put on the remainder of his clothing as he ran downstairs (not an easy feat) and burst into the pub area, racing through it and to the outdoors before the bartender could react.

There were no carriages to take him back to the castle, so he had to walk the two-mile distance between the castle and Hogsmeade. It was a perfect morning...the air was slightly chilly, but it wasn’t windy, and birds chirped all around him...but he didn’t care. All he could think about was what might have happened the previous night.

What did we do? Harry thought frantically. Did we just fall right asleep? Or did we... His mind had been too absorbed with Firewhiskey, he couldn’t remember a thing that happened after Lily led him upstairs. He was terrified of what might happened if anything had happened to her, and was worried sick the whole walk.

Half an hour later, Harry arrived at the castle, out of breath. He was starving, but he passed right by the Great Hall, not daring to live it up with the others. Instead, he walked up to Gryffindor Tower, where he passed through the nearly-empty common room and up to the dorms. He had prayed it would be empty, but to his dismay, James and Sirius were in there, with what looked to be hangovers.

“Hey, guys,” Harry said wearily to them, grateful he hadn’t had too much to drink to put him in the same boat as his overdosed friends. James and Sirius grunted in response, not moving from their four-posters.

“When did you get back to the castle?” Sirius muttered to Harry.

“Just now,” Harry said. “You?”

“Little after eight,” James muttered in a weak voice. “Paddie got here about half an hour later.”

“What time is it?” Harry asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Nearly eleven,” Sirius replied, glancing at his watch on the bedside table. “Where did Evans go? She wasn’t anywhere to be seen when we got back...”

“She, erm...stayed at the bar for the night, same as us,” Harry offered. “Remus was the only one that came back before bed.”

“Where did she stay?” James asked, sitting up suddenly and grimacing from doing so. “I heard the bartender telling some old witch as I left the bar this morning that the last three empty rooms in the bar were taken last night. If Sirius and I each took a room, that leaves one room, and if you and Evans both stayed there...”

“You didn’t,” Sirius whispered to Harry, wide-eyed.

Harry groaned. “Look, it was late, and we’d both had a little too much to drink,” he sighed. “My plan was to get her to drink enough to go in to sleep with you, James, but I miscalculated how much I could have without overdoing it...”

James looked shocked. “You...slept...with my future wife?” he said incredulously.

“Listen, James, I can explain...”

“I’ll kill you!”

James stood up suddenly and stumbled towards Harry, promptly falling to the floor. He scrambled to get up, reaching for his wand, but Harry flicked his own, which he’d been fingering in his pocket since arrival in case of such an occurrence, and James was thrown backwards onto his bed.

“Look, you’re not my boss, James,” Harry said calmly, trying to keep his temper from rising (one bad trait he’d inherited from his equally-temperamental father). “You and I both know I could beat you in a duel. You remember what happened last time we dueled...”

“We never dueled!” James said, suddenly confused. “Why would we do that?”

Oops. Harry had forgotten he’d wiped that particular memory of James’ nearly three months ago. “I, erm...” he struggled for an excuse, but he’d had enough of lying. He sighed. “Look, we fought about a week before Christmas break because I was dating Lily, and you were angry. I had to wipe your memory, so you wouldn’t remember...I didn’t want to be on your bad side forever.”

“You wiped his memory?” Sirius said, surprised. “Blimey, that’s pretty good, Harry!”

James wasn’t so impressed. “I’ll tell you what, Harry,” he said, pointing an accusing finger at Harry. “I’ll let you off for now. But one day, maybe not today, maybe not this week, or maybe not even this year, I’ll get you for this. You’ll regret the day you ever messed with James Harry Potter!”

Harry scoffed. “Don’t hurt yourself,” he quipped, and walked from the dorm, leaving Sirius and an enraged but subdued James behind him.

He decided then to walk down to the Great Hall for breakfast, or rather, brunch. He figured the only person that knew about last night’s events that would be down there was Remus, who wouldn’t really care, or at least, not tell everyone about it publicly. However, as he made his way downstairs, he came across Lily, who was running in the opposite direction. When she saw Harry, she froze in her tracks, then whimpered and turned around, taking a detour, obviously headed for Gryffindor Tower to hide in the dorm, as Harry had tried to do.

And suddenly, a brilliant idea formed in Harry’s head. His own words to Hermione, during his first Memory Charms lesson, when talking about modifying James memory, rang throughout his mind: “You’re saying...it’s possible to change his memory completely so he remembers something else?”

“Exactly,” Hermione had responded. Now was the time to exercise this theory again. He drew his wand and sprinted after Lily, who was a bit ahead of him, but he caught up to her on the fifth floor.

“Lily, wait!” he called out, and Lily turned around, terrified.

“What?” she asked timidly.

Harry, without caring to explain, pointed his wand at her forehead. “Obliviate!”

***

Down in the Great Hall, Harry spotted Remus, and walked over to greet him. “Hey, Remus,” he sighed, plopping down beside the boy. Remus smirked at him.

“What happened last night?” he asked slyly. “I neglected to notice that you wanted to be alone with Lily...”

Harry shook his head sadly. “My plan was to get Lily drunk enough to sleep with James,” he explained in an undertone. “It almost worked, except I also had too much to drink, and she ended up sleeping with me. But don’t worry!” he added feverishly, as Remus’ jaw dropped open, “I’ve taken care of everything already.”

“What, like a contraceptive charm or something?” Remus asked, a little too loudly. The people surrounding the two boys promptly got up, disgusted, and moved somewhere else.

No, not like a contraceptive charm!” Harry said. “And thanks for sharing that with the whole world.”

“What did you do then?” Remus asked.

“Simple,” Harry replied. “I replaced her memory of sleeping with me to sleeping with James.”

“Nice one!” Remus said, grinning at the idea. “James’ll love that, if you’ll just do the same for him. Some birthday present! Doubt Lily’ll be thrilled, though.”

“Ah, well,” Harry said, shrugging. “That was what James was going to do anyway, if I didn’t step in. I won’t lose any sleep over it.”

“Yeah, but James OR Lily won’t be happy if something did happen,” Remus rebutted. “It’s more than probable that the Evans and Potter family will have a new family member around Christmastime.”

“Don’t say that!” Harry warned. “It won’t happen. I refuse to believe it.”

“Okay, I won’t,” Remus said, putting up his hands to signal a truce. “But don’t you think, after they do some sort of DNA test, they’ll find out that James isn’t the father of...well, you know...?”

“I thought about that, too,” Harry said. “But I figure, it’ll be about Christmastime, like you said, in nine months. The Healers will be off with their families, so she probably wouldn’t give birth at St. Mungo’s...but don’t get me wrong, she will not give birth.”

“If you say so,” Remus said, returning to his food. “Are you gonna eat with me, or what?”

“No,” Harry replied. “I’ve got too much on my mind.”

He grabbed a plateful of food and left the Hall promptly, not stopping to say hello to Professor Dumbledore when he walked into the hall. He walked out onto the grounds and down to the lake, where he sat under a bench someone had wisely conjured underneath an old oak tree. He munched his eggs, toast and sausage, deep in thought.

I wonder what Ron and Hermione are doing right now? he thought to himself. He hated to admit it, but he was starting to wish he hadn’t thrown that bit of leather into the fire three months ago. If something bad did happen with Lily, and something did get him arrested for altering time, he would have no way of getting back.

But no matter. He wouldn’t think about that right now. For the time being, he would live his new life as it played out. He finished his meal, Vanished his plate and silverware, and stood up. It was about time for James and Sirius to say good-bye to their old memories.

***

Several weeks later, Harry and James were back on good terms, but James was worried sick. When he finally confided in Harry that he had slept with Lily (which he didn’t really), Harry feigned surprise and sympathy, which made James feel a little better. However, on that fateful Tuesday evening, James came to Harry looking terrified.

“Lily told me she’s been having odd stomach cramps lately,” he told Harry worriedly. “She said she’s going to Madam Pomphrey for a pregnancy test, and she’s forcing me to go.”

“You nervous?” Harry asked.

“Terrified!” James moaned. “I can’t believe I got myself into this mess. You gotta help me!”

“No can do,” Harry said, frowning sympathetically. “Like you said, you got yourself into this, and you’ll have to deal with the consequences.” After he said that, Harry went on a personal guilt trip. Aren’t you the one to talk...killing people, and staying in the past and avoiding consequences! Nevertheless, he went with James to the Hospital Wing later that night.

Lily was already in the room with Madam Pomphrey, who had her wand pointed at the teenaged girl’s stomach and was muttering something, so James entered quietly while Harry remained outside, half not wanting to know the results, half wanting to know. Five minutes later, Lily fast-walked from the Hospital Wing, face unreadable as she sped away, presumably up to Gryffindor Tower for bed. James, however, remained inside for several long minutes, while Madam Pomphrey talked to him in an undertone.

Harry didn’t know what to think of this. Is she giving him a lecture on how he got lucky this time, or a lecture on how to be a good father? he wondered. Finally, James emerged, looking quite depressed. “Well?” Harry asked, a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

James looked up at Harry, face set but lips quivering slightly. “I’m going to the Owlery,” he said in a strained voice. “I need to explain to my parents why I’m going to have a son in eight months.” He walked away sadly, leaving Harry to think alone.

Harry’s head, spinning at a million miles an hour, told him to walk after James and tell him the truth, but he couldn’t. Instead, he kicked a wall with anger and slid to the marble floor, sobbing silently. What have I done? he thought miserably. Now James has to take the fall for it, and it’s all my fault...and I can’t go back. Oh, Ron and Hermione, why can’t we start over again? I should’ve never come!

Harry jumped. Two people were standing in front of him, obviously bemused by his appearance. Harry, embarrassed that someone had found him in this stance, stood up and wiped his eyes. “I, erm...” he began, then froze when he saw their faces.

It was Ron and Hermione.



Author’s Note: Ron and Hermione to the rescue! Has Harry had enough abuse for one story? I’m almost done with him, don’t worry; he’ll have to pay for all of this soon, but I won’t tell you how or when. Thanks for reading; please review!
Back to the Future by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
In this chapter, Harry gets his comeuppance at long last...but that's as far as I'm going to describe my longest chapter yet. Enjoy!


“Ron! Hermione!” Harry exclaimed, rushing forward to hug them both. “I’m so glad you...what’s the matter?” Neither friend had returned his hug; they just stared stonily at him.

“We missed you too, Harry,” Hermione said when he pulled away. “It’s just...”

“You screwed things up bad, mate,” Ron said, frowning slightly.

“Screwed things up...? What do you mean?” Harry asked, looking from Ron to Hermione. Everything about their appearances indicated that something bad had happened. “What? Did a few bad things happen in the future I should know about?”

“A few things?” Hermione said quietly, then exploding at him. “A few things?!”

“What she means is,” Ron cut in, “is that you pretty much killed yourself in the future, and doomed the wizarding world to fall into Voldemort’s hands.”

“Killed myself?” Harry said curiously.

“Not literally,” Hermione said, still angry, but trying to calm down. “You, erm...well, we need to show you.”

“I told you; I’m not going back,” Harry said, crossing his arms. “Besides, Lily’s pregnant, I need to live up to my mistake...”

Hermione then exploded at him again. “IF YOU WANT TO LIVE UP TO YOUR MISTAKES, THEN COME SEE WHAT MISTAKES YOU MADE!” she screamed. Madam Pomphrey then cut off their conversation by coming out to the corridor and telling them to shoo, so they talked while walking. Harry had trouble keeping up with Hermione’s furious stride.

“There’s too many things to explain,” Ron said. “We need to show you. If you want, you can come back later, but at least come see what you’ve done.”

“Fine!” Harry spat. “But I’m coming back...maybe to fix things, maybe not. Should I, you know, wipe some memories before we go...?”

Hermione ignored him, but instead pulled Harry’s album from her pocket. Harry reached out to take it, but she slapped his hand away. “You may not want to look at this just yet,” she warned. She then instructed him and Ron to place a hand on the album, to which they obliged. “If we could go back to August 3, 1997, to show Harry what he’s done, it’d be perfect,” she muttered, and the earthquake started, carrying Harry away to the future at last.




A few seconds later, they landed in front of an apartment complex in downtown London, which Harry didn’t recognize. “Where are we?” he asked, looking around. It looked to be about eight or nine at night.

“James and Sirius’ apartment,” Hermione replied quietly, walking towards the building.

“Ha! I knew they’d survive!” Harry said, smiling. But then he realized she’d said “James and Sirius”...not “James and Lily” or just “Sirius”. “What happened?” he asked nervously.

“After the little incident with you and Lily way back when, and when you made her think it was James...and yes, we know about that...James tried to get together with Lily again,” Hermione replied. “Apparently, she didn’t agree, because you wound up married with her.”

“Oh,” Harry said quietly. “But how did you know about...erm...me and Lily?”

“All we’ve been doing these past few days is figure out what stuff changed...research, visiting people’s homes, the works,” Ron replied. “We found tons of stuff, too.”

When they reached the front door, Hermione pressed the buzzer, and said into the speaker, “I’d like to visit James Potter and Sirius Black. Tell them it’s Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger,” she said. The operator of the building unlocked the door after a few seconds, and they entered the lobby.

As they rode the elevator, Ron and Hermione explained some more. “James and Sirius moved in here together after they left Hogwarts,” Hermione said. “Oh, don’t worry...just as roommates,” she added quickly when she saw his horrified face. “They’ve lived here ever since, doing different jobs at the Ministry and basically just sleeping here, doing everything else away from home. They should be here, though; work is long over.”

“How do you know they’ll let three strangers into their apartment?” Harry asked.

“We’ve visited before,” Ron said. “You hadn’t wiped their memories clean of everything that involved us in 1976, so they remembered us.”

Sure enough, when they knocked on the front door, Sirius answered. “Oh...hello, Hermione,” he said tiredly when he saw her. “Hello, Ron. And...who’s this?”

“This is Harry from the past,” Hermione said, and Sirius’ eyes grew wide.

“James, get out here,” he called back into the room. “There’s someone here you should see.”

James then came out of one of the two bedrooms, yawning. “Hey, Ron and Hermione,” he said, and then he saw Harry. He, unlike Sirius, knew Harry’s face well...the face of the man that had robbed him of his future wife. “You!” he snarled, then charged straight for Harry maniacally. Harry instinctively drew his wand and cast a Shield Charm about himself, which knocked James back. Sirius jumped forward and grabbed James’ arms, holding him back.

“If I had my wand, Harry...” James growled menacingly.

“But you don’t,” Sirius warned. “I’m sure Harry’s here for a reason, and we should at least let him talk.”

James glared at Harry for a few seconds, then yanked his arms from Sirius’ grasp. He furiously walked into the kitchen, pouring himself a drink, and then walking back into the entryway. “Talk,” he said angrily to Harry, taking a swig of his drink.

Harry cleared his throat. “Well, I’m sorry about what happened,” he said. “Ron and Hermione came and got me right after Lily’s pregnancy test in 1977, so I haven’t married her yet. I don’t know all the details, and I don’t think Ron and Hermione do, either...so can you tell me?”

James nodded. “Worse year of my life, seventh year,” he sighed, taking another swig. “Lily pregnant with my kid, and everyone knew it was me, too...I don’t know who snitched. Maybe you, or maybe even Lily...Remus and Sirius wouldn’t. Anyway, after the baby was born right around Christmas, I tried to talk Lily into marrying me, saying it was the right thing to do, but she wouldn’t listen. She hung around you all the time, once saying you were her “best friend”, and then you two went off and eloped after graduation. I haven’t seen Lily since. Not that I want to.”

“Where is she now?” he asked.

“We’ll show you later,” Hermione cut in. “I think that’s all we needed to know. Thanks James.”

“Just know that I’m going to try to fix things, so you and Lily wind up married again,” Harry told James. “Oh, and just so you know, that kid wasn’t yours. It was mine. I had to wipe your memory, so you thought it was you that slept with Lily that night.”

James stared blankly at him for a minute. “That does it,” he said furiously. “OUT!”

Harry, Ron and Hermione were then shooed out of the apartment by an irritated James, while Sirius looked on. When they had reached the street again, Harry rounded on his friends.

“What was the point of that?” he asked angrily. “He kicked us out! Are you mental?”

“We needed to show you,” Hermione explained. “Grab my arm; we’re going to Apparate to Lily’s house.”

Normally, Harry would protest, since he was of-age and knew how to Apparate, but he grabbed Hermione’s arm, not wanting to argue with her. She spun around, taking herself and Harry away, while Ron followed on his own.

They reappeared outside of a small cottage on the outskirts of a small town Harry didn’t know. “This is Lily’s house,” Hermione explained, then put emphasis on the last part. “Lily Lupin.”

Harry blanched. “She married Remus?” he asked incredulously. “Why? I thought she married me!”

“Erm, she did,” Ron said, “but it’s really, really complicated. We’ll explain inside.”

Hermione nodded agreement, and rang the doorbell. The door was answered by a girl that looked to be about their age. “Who are you?” she asked curiously.

“We’re friends of your mum’s,” Hermione answered. “May we talk to her?”

“Yeah, just a sec,” the girl said. “MOM! SOME PEOPLE ARE HERE TO SEE YOU!” she yelled into the house. A minute later, an adult Lily walked into the entryway.

“Oh, Ron, Hermione, how are you?” she asked, smiling. Apparently, Ron and Hermione had spoken to her, as well. Then she saw Harry. She, like James, seemed to recognize him, for she started sobbing and ran forward to hug him.

“I haven’t seen you in years!” she sobbed. “At any age! What is going on?”

“We went back to the past to get him,” Ron explained. “We brought him here to show him all he’s done.”

“Well, I can’t believe this at all,” Lily said, wiping her eyes. “Last I saw you, you had just fallen asleep...”

“What happened?” Harry demanded. “Where was I? Did I die, or what?”

“You disappeared,” Lily said. “On Halloween, almost eighteen years ago. I have no idea why, and no one knew where you were, and...oh, I was so afraid!”

“I think I know why,” Hermione cut in. “It’s complicated, though. See, you were born on July 31, 1980...”

“No, really?” Harry said sarcastically. Hermione glared at him, and he fell silent again.

“As I was saying,” she went on, “that means you were conceived on about Halloween in 1979.”

“Which makes sense, actually,” Ron cut in, amused. “Halloween, just back from a party, one too many drinks...”

“Ron, now’s not the time!” Hermione said, blushing. Lily was still pondering Hermione’s statement.

“Halloween 1979...that’s the day he disappeared!” Lily cut in, surprised. “So you’re saying...?”

“Yes,” Hermione said, nodding. “Exactly. Harry disappeared because, if he wasn’t conceived by you and James, he wouldn’t exist anymore, and he’d just...disappear. Just like that.”

“So you’re saying,” Harry said slowly, “if I don’t fix the past...I’ll disappear forever?”

“Yeah,” Ron said, nodding. “That’s why we went back...to warn you...just as soon as we’d figured it out.”

“Where’s Remus?” Hermione asked just then, looking around the house for him.

“It’s full moon,” Lily said shortly, and no one pressed the matter any further.

“So, that’s all,” Hermione said, nodding to Lily. “Thanks for letting us into the house, Lily.”

“Not at all,” Lily said. “Just to see you again, Harry, has been...” But she became to choked up to continue, so they just bade her farewell and left the house.

“Was that girl my kid?” Harry asked as soon as the door shut behind them.

“Yeah,” Hermione replied, “but not your first-born. She was actually conceived, as I understand it, right before you disappeared...your second-born. Your first-born is off living by himself now. He’ll be twenty in December.”

“Oh,” Harry said. “Where to next?” He almost didn’t want to know what he’d find at their next location, but he felt he needed to know. Without bothering to respond, Hermione grabbed his arm without warning and turned on the spot, Apparating away.

They reappeared in a place that Harry at least recognized: Hogsmeade. “Oh, Hogsmeade!” he exclaimed, looking around. Wait...something wasn’t quite right. “What happened to it?”

The place was a mess. The shops were all empty, and a thick layer of dust covered the entire place. It looked as though no one had been there for years. “It’ll be obvious once we show you the castle,” Ron said, frowning at the sight of the dilapidated road. They walked down the street a ways, then turned the corner, and Hogwarts castle opened up before him, far up on a hilltop. Harry gasped.

The castle had undergone massive renovations. The most obvious was a huge Dark Mark branded into the side, permanently ablaze for all to see for miles around (except Muggles, of course). In the very center of the castle, a massive column shot upwards, leading to a tower with a single room atop it. A light was on in the window...the only one in the castle. Harry was at a loss for words, so Hermione began explaining.

“This took the longest to figure out,” she said. “It took Ron and me a full day to get the full history. First of all, when you killed Snape, there was no one on Voldemort’s side to hear the prophecy and tell him about it. So Voldemort never tried to go after you...or rather, Neville, since you didn’t exist anymore...and he didn’t lose his power. He...well, he killed Dumbledore, Harry.”

“What?!” Harry exclaimed. “Why? How?”

“Dumbledore still got the prophecy from Trelawney, and since you weren’t around anymore, Neville was the only boy that fit the prophecy. He died protecting Neville when he tried to stop Voldemort from getting the Sorcerer’s Stone in his first year.”

“Whoa, whoa, back up there,” Harry said, now really confused. “First of all, why did he go after the Stone if he had Horcruxes? And since when was Neville brave enough to do something like that?”

“You put Bellatrix in jail,” Ron reminded Harry. “His parents never got tortured, so he grew up with them, not his Gran. He picked up some things from them, I suppose; they were Aurors, you know.”

“As for the Stone,” Hermione said, “Voldemort hadn’t created all of his Horcruxes yet. He was only at two, as far as we can tell, because you saved some of the people he’d killed to make his later ones. I think those were the diary and the ring. Anyway, when he heard that the Sorcerer’s Stone was at Hogwarts, he raided the school, and Neville nearly died protecting it. Dumbledore showed up and sacrificed himself to save Neville. Thank goodness Voldemort didn’t know about the prophecy, because if he did, he would’ve killed Neville right after Dumbledore fell.”

“You mean he didn’t?” Harry asked, incredulous. “That’s not like Voldemort, showing mercy.”

“Sure it was!” Hermione said. “He gave your mum the chance to live, didn’t he, that night she died? He also gave Neville the choice to step aside and give him the Stone, and when he refused, he was almost killed, until Dumbledore showed up.”

“He probably let him live to get a little revenge, I think,” Ron cut in. “You know, like, ‘I’ll let you stick around and show you how much you ruined the wizarding world by refusing me’...that sort of thing.”

“After he got the Stone, Voldemort took over the school and the Ministry,” Hermione went on. “He made it law that any wizard or witch born in Great Britain must go to Hogwarts...that way, no parents could transfer their kid to another school if they didn’t want Voldemort teaching them.”

“But can you imagine going to school there?” Ron said, giving a long exhale as he looked up to the school. “Voldemort as Headmaster, and learning the Dark Arts?”

“Voldemort’s here?” Harry asked, then understood; this new massive tower was Voldemort’s “office”; his headquarters. “But why isn’t my scar hurting?” Harry asked. His forehead hadn’t prickled in the presence of Voldemort.

Hermione and Ron exchanged looks. “We noticed a long time ago, Harry,” Hermione said, drawing her wand. She conjured a handheld mirror. “We didn’t want to tell you, because...well, you were too wrapped up in the past to pay attention to us much.” She handed the mirror to Harry, who took it and stared into it. His eyes widened when he saw his reflection.

His scar was gone.




Author’s Note: The end! Yes, that’s it, the end of the story...you can review now. I’m serious. Okay, don’t scream at me just yet...there’s more. I am now officially announcing my biggest secret about this fic: it will have a sequel. It will be called Changing the Future, and as you read this, it may already be in the queue.

So thank you so much for reading, and please review below! I hope to see you at the sequel!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=66610