The Mirror and the Party by MissLupinMarauder
Summary: Ron finds and unusual way to tell Hermione that he loves her. But then they don’t end up as partners for the party on St. Valentine’s Day. Death Eaters are coming – could they find their love in the shadow of the mortal danger?

I choose to ignore HBP, but there are some ideas from it.

No reviews?! Come on, guys!



Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4594 Read: 7283 Published: 05/01/07 Updated: 08/24/07

1. Declaration of love by MissLupinMarauder

2. Poor Harry by MissLupinMarauder

3. The party by MissLupinMarauder

Declaration of love by MissLupinMarauder
Author's Notes:
Hi, everybody. This is my first story here and I really hope you'll like it! Please, please review even if you don't like it. This is only the first chapter, two more to go, so don't worry! The Alternate Universe is because of ignoring the 6th book.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were in their sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Voldemort was becoming stronger, since that night at the Ministry. Everyday they heard about someone’s death or some new attack. In times like this everybody needs love…

Ron was feeling very confused these days. He loved Hermione; he had finally realised it. But he wasn’t sure if she loved him - after all, there was Viktor Krum and what was Ron compared to him. But most of all “ he didn’t know how to tell her. He was thinking about talking about this with Harry…but what if he laughed at him? Uh, if love is so complicated, he was already sick of it.

One morning in the middle of November they were going to breakfast. Last night a plan had grown in Ron’s mind. It wasn’t something very smart at all, but at least it was something. Once they reached the Great Hall, Ron said:

“Harry, you just look so tiny!”

Harry looked at him in disbelief. That was more something that Ron’s mum would say.

“What?” he asked shocked.

“Go immediately in the Great Hall, you should eat some breakfast!” yelled Ron nervously and pushed him to the door.

“Well…okay.” Harry walked through the door and Hermione was going to follow him but then suddenly Ron grabbed her arm.

“No, no, Hermione, I need you to come with me to the library to help me with that stupid essay for McGonagall. Come on, you ate so much yesterday!”

Hermione stared at him, but still followed him.

Ron was already shaking…he hadn’t said a word and he was really, really nervous. What if Hermione didn’t like it? She was probably going to say that she loved Krum and Ron was just her best friend…Oh, gosh.

They got in the library and were going to start working on the essay when Ron said:

“Look, Hermione, actually it’s not only the essay that I asked you here for….well, it’s not quite related to the essay…okay, it’s nothing to do with the bloody essay at all,” he said nervously.

“Okay, what then?” she asked curiously. Ron was acting really strange that morning.

“Well…I actually need your advice for a certain girl…” he started but was interrupted by Hermione’s disbelieving voice.

“It’s about a girl?” she asked, starting to feel jealous. “Do you like her?”

“Yeah…yeah…I’ve actually liked her for a long time, but I don’t know how to say it to her.”

“Well, I guess she is one of those beautiful, arrogant and very stupid girls that you like!” Hermione said in anger.

“No, well yes, she IS beautiful, but she is very, very smart and she has a very strong character and I think that…that I really like her,” Ron mumbled the last words.

“Oh, then who is she?” asked Hermione. Hope was filling her eyes.

“You know what - I can show you a picture of her,” said Ron and started looking in his schoolbag.

“Oh…okay, if you have one,” said Hermione quietly.

“Here.” He gave her something and walked out of the library as fast as he could.

Hermione looked at the picture to see that it wasn’t any picture after all…it was a mirror. She stared at it for few seconds and then suddenly realised - it was her - it was her who Ron liked. She suddenly felt so many things…anger, for leaving her here, proud when she remembered his words ‘she IS beautiful, but she is very, very smart and she has a very strong character and I think that…that I really like her.’ But most of all love. She loved him too and she should tell him that. She walked quickly out of the library.

Hidden behind the near shelf, Harry smiled under his Invisibility Cloak.

* * *

Hermione ran into the Gryffindor Common Room and found Ron there staring out of the window with blank look. She thought that he had never looked cuter…

“Ron…” she said quietly.

No answer.

“Ron…” she repeated louder.

Still no answer.

“RON!” she yelled.

He was still looking out of the window and pretending that she was not there. She tried to figure out his look, but there was nothing in it “ it was so blank, that she scared.

“RON…Ron, please look at me!” she almost cried.

He moved his eyes from the widow and stared at her.

“Ron…I…” Hermione started.

But she was interrupted all of the sudden. He leaned back and kissed her gently on the lips. She could feel her whole body shake while his tongue stroked hers and his strong arms wrapped around her waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck and ran her hands through his hair. She suddenly felt so safe; nobody was going to harm her anymore. But then he kissed her more deeply and she got scared.

She broke up the kiss. Then she looked at Ron, horrified. Shaking her head, she ran towards the Hole.

Ron stared at the Hole. She either didn’t love him or was scared. Maybe she didn’t love him after all.

“Of course,” he mumbled angrily to the empty common room. “Since she has Krum, why would she need me?” He started shaking with anger. Okay, then, if this was what she wanted, he could forget her.

But then again he looked out the window and he shook his head. He couldn’t. One tear was falling gently down his face.

* * *

One week after that Ron and Hermione weren’t talking to each other at all and Harry was starting to get annoyed with it.

Meanwhile Professor McGonagall told them that that there are going to be a party in Hogsmeade on St. Valentine’s Day and that each of them should invite someone to it. Harry had already invite Ginny, so the two of them were going together, but the case with Ron and Hermione was much more complicated.

One morning Ron came and sat down next to Harry in Transfiguration class (and Harry was sitting next to Hermione). He pretended not to notice that Hermione was there and said:

“Harry, guess what!”

“What?” asked his friend curiously.

“I already have a girl for the party,” said Ron proudly.

Harry looked at him with wide eyes. His friend had finally the courage to ask Hermione out? Impossible. Ron had told him everything and he said that Hermione had run away because she didn’t love him. Harry, of course, knew that this was not true, because she was just scared of being in a relationship. So he was so happy now that Ron had finally the courage to invite her. But then…something was still wrong. Why he was pretending then not to notice that Hermione was in the room?

“Who is it?” he asked anxiously.

“Lavender Brown!”

“Oh really?” Hermione suddenly asked. Harry couldn’t help noticing the anger in Hermione’s voice.

“Yeah…really,” answered Ron, a little bit confused.

“That’s great,” said Hermione with a fake smile. “Just don’t forget to show her that mirror. Maybe she’ll believe that you’re in love with her and then you’ll probably be happy that you have someone to kiss.”

“Hermione!” Ron said horrified.

“I don’t care about your stupid explanation, please leave me alone!” yelled Hermione. “Oh and have fun with Lavender!” With that, she ran out of the room, leaving the horrified Ron and Harry there.

“What the hell is going on with her?” Ron turned to face Harry. “First she’s rejecting me and now this. Why she’d even care about me going with Lavender! Girls!”

Harry knew exactly why Hermione was angry, but he didn’t say anything. He decided to keep both Ron and Hermione’s friendship. Why did they have to be so stubborn?

After the lesson Harry was walking down the corridor alone when suddenly somebody grabbed his arm from behind. He turned and saw it was Hermione. She looked really bad, her eyes were red from crying and her voice was shaking when she said:

“Harry…I need your help!”
Poor Harry by MissLupinMarauder
Author's Notes:
Sorry everyone for taking so long, I was really busy at school! I hope you'll like it, please review!
“Please Harry, you’ve got to help me!” said Hermione, almost crying.

“Okay, okay…but how?” asked Harry. He would do anything for Hermione now; she just looked so crushed. Well, almost anything.

“I’m going to make Ron jealous! How could he…with Lavender…anyway, Harry if you come with me to the party, he’ll be really jealous I’m sure! Please, Harry!”

“You want me to come with you?” Harry asked in disbelief.

“Yeah…”

“I can’t do that, Hermione! He’s my best mate! I can’t go to the party with the girl he loves!”

They both fell silent.

“You think he loves me?” asked Hermione in a very different tone.

“Well…yeah, I’m sure,” Harry said, a bit confused. It didn’t seem right to him to tell Hermione that. It should be Ron, but he couldn’t lie to her.

“Then why did he ask Lavender instead of me!” she almost yelled.

“Maybe for the very same reason that you asked me! Anyway, Hermione, you rejected him, what do you expect? And why do you even care about him going with Lavender?” Harry was getting annoyed. Ron and Hermione were both so stupid. But he thought about it: Ron was hurt and thought that Hermione didn’t love him, so he asked Lavender. But then again, Hermione obviously loved him, she was just scared. Maybe Harry’s interference could help… “Okay, I’ll go with you! Maybe then both you and Ron will understand how stupid you are!”

“Thanks, Harry, I knew you’d help me!” she said, pretending that she didn’t hear the last sentence. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have Ancient Runes.”

And with that she turned around and made her way to her class. Harry was staring after her. He couldn’t help thinking that he didn’t do the right thing after all - now Ron would be really mad at him. Maybe he’d take him as a traitor. And Harry couldn’t blame him. After all, he was going to the party with his best mate’s love. “Oh, gosh…” he murmured to the empty hallway. I guess we should just see what is going to happen, he thought.

That evening, after dinner, Harry was going to the common room alone. Once he reached the portrait hole, somebody pulled him inside. It was Ginny, looking very excited about something.

“Harry, guess what!” she almost yelled.

“What?” he just asked tiredly.

“Well, Hermione gave me one really nice magazine today and I found in it the perfect dress!”

“Dress? And why’d you need a dress?” Harry asked surprised. Ginny was not some kind of foppish girl who’d love every dress she had found in a magazine.

“Oh, you dolt! For the party of course! Our date, remember?” She punched him playfully on the arm.

Harry froze. He had completely forgotten that he already had a date with Ginny. And he promised Hermione to go with her, to make Ron jealous. What should I do? Think, Harry, think…

“Er…you see Ginny…I can’t go with you actually…I’m so sorry,” he said after awhile.

“What?” she asked shocked. “But why? No wait, I don’t care… just keep in mind that is not quite correct to ask a girl to go with you and then turn her down. Good night, Harry!” He could feel the hurt in her voice.

“No, wait, Ginny, it’s not what you’re thinking!” he yelled after her, very desperate. “Let me explain!”

She turned away, but still asked: “Oh and would you mind telling me who you are going with?” She asked this as if she didn’t care.

Harry was feeling really desperate now. “Hermione…but it’s not what you’re thinking!” he said.

Ginny’s face filled with shock. “Really? Have a nice time, then.” And she turned to walk into her dormitory, leaving Harry feeling completely hopeless.

He sat down and buried his face in his hands. “I’ve ruined it all,” he murmured to himself.

“What have you ruined, mate?” asked a familiar voice behind him. Harry looked to find it was Ron. Great, he thought Just who I needed.

“Uh, my date with Ginny for the party, I guess,” he murmured.

“What? But why?” asked Ron, shocked and a bit of angry. Ginny was his sister after all.

“I…I am going with another girl and she got mad at me. But it’s not what she’s thinking, I swear!” he answered.

“WHAT? You’ve dumped my sister for another girl?” Ron yelled. “And who are you going with, if I may ask?”

Harry didn’t want to tell him…he would ruin not only his possible relationship with Ginny, but also his friendship with Ron. But then he remembered it was part of Hermione’s plan to make Ron jealous. He sighed.

“Hermione…she asked me actually. And I agreed,” he said calmly, but he inside he felt sick.

Ron froze. He was just standing there and watching Harry. His face was of someone who had just betrayed by his best friend. Harry felt very uncomfortable “ he wanted to tell Ron the truth.

Finally, Ron’s voice was heard. “From now on, never talk to me again.” Then he turned and walked into the boys’ dormitory just as Ginny had before.

Harry sat there and watched his best friend. He couldn’t believe it. He had lost both his girl and his best mate in one evening just because of Hermione’s stupid game. He buried his face in his hands and remained that way all night. “I would like to fight with two or three dementors rather than that,” he murmured. Talking to himself was becoming a habit to him.

* * *

The next morning it was getting worse. Harry needed to go everywhere with Hermione alone, which was actually very boring. She only talked to him about books now. Every time that Harry saw Ginny, he tried to catch her eye, but she always looked stubbornly in the opposite direction. The case with Hermione and Ron was even worse. They looked at each other, but with so much hatred that it seemed to Harry that they were going to kill each other by staring. Now Ron was going everywhere with Lavender and was snogging her every time that he saw that Hermione was looking in their direction. Hermione, fortunately, didn’t do this with Harry, but she grabbed his hand every time that Ron was looking at them. Harry could hardly stand all this, but there were only two weeks left until the party. Then it became only one week…Thank God! On the Monday before Saturday’s party, Ginny came to talk to him.

“I just wanted to tell you something, Mr. Cheater,” she said angrily.

“Ginny…” he started, trying to explain to her.

“I found myself a boy for the party,” she interrupted. “It’s Dean Thomas. Yeah.” She smiled at Harry’s expression. “You know, I’m sure he would never cheat on me, so I choose him. Well, goodnight, Harry.” Ginny went back to her friends and left Harry completely wordless.

Only five days left, he thought. Uh, that Hermione! Well, anyway, everything that was going to happen would happen at that party.

* * *

It was Saturday. Finally. Hermione was sitting in her dormitory, wondering about what’d happen that night. She wasn’t afraid anymore, because she wanted to be with Ron, she knew it now. But too late, she thought with a sigh. Why don’t I just tell him? ...No, he’s going with Lavender, although he loves me. I’m going to make him feel sorry for it first. So, she stood up and started to prepare.

In the same time, but in the boys’ dormitory, Harry was thinking the exact same thing. Why doesn’t she just tell him…ugh, girls. Yeah, of course, why shouldn’t we make fun of Ron and leave the poor Harry without best friend and girlfriend, he thought with sarcasm. He wondered what would happen that night.

But meanwhile, not very far from them, somebody not only wondered, but was planning what’d happen that night. One dark shadow of a boy came out from the Slytherin Common Room. He was going to the seventh floor, to the Room of Requirement. Once he reached it, the boy looked around carefully and opened the door.

“Came out!” he whispered. Two men and one woman came out from the room. “Now go on, quickly and without talking,” the boy said.

“It feels nice to be here again,” said one of the men bloodthirstily.

“I said, quiet, Greyback, didn’t you hear me?” the blond boy whispered again. “Now go on quickly, they’ll be in the Great Hall. You need to get the boy once he walks out of the Hall, did you get it?”

“I got it, I got it…I’m not that stupid, Malfoy,” the man answered impatiently.

“Really? That’s news to me.” The boy smiled and walked into the darkness with the men and the woman.
The party by MissLupinMarauder
Author's Notes:
Soo here's the last chapter, sorry for taking forever! I really hope you'll like the end and no matter what, pleeeease review!!!

Harry stood in the Common Room, waiting for Hermione to get ready. He looked around and sighed. How much easier it would be, if he was waiting for Ginny and next to him was Ron waiting for Hermione. But instead, Ron was in the other corner of the room, never looking at his direction and waiting for Lavender to come “ one girl that both Harry and Ron knew that Ron wouldn’t even like. But then somebody came down from the girls’ dormitory and broke Harry’s thoughts. It was the girl of his dreams. Ginny. She looked so beautiful in her dark green robe, so delicate and tender. But she didn’t walk to him “ she walked to Dean Thomas. She actually didn’t even look at his direction, just like Ron. Harry sighed again. He prayed that Hermione’s plan would work; otherwise he would be left without any chances to get that so pretty girl. He was still looking at Ginny when somebody gasped next to him “ “She’s so beautiful!”

“Yeah, she is...” murmured Harry, but then he turned around to see who they were talking about.

Hermione was standing in front of him, smiling. She was dressed in a silky violet robe and she really looked very beautiful, though not as beautiful as Ginny, in his opinion. Harry forced himself to smile at her, because Ron was watching them. The look on his face showed both deep hurt and disgust. Harry grabbed Hermione’s hand and walked out with her as quickly as he could.

“See? See what you are doing?” he told her once they were out of the Common Room. “Do you even see how hurt Ron is?”

“Harry, you promised! You will help me!” she said angrily. “I’m going to make him sorry that he is going with Lavender!”

“Oh, that again…anyway, Hermione, do you even have a plan?” Harry asked.

She smiled. “Oh, yeah, I have! Trust me, you just stay near me.”

Just as she said that, Ginny and Dean were passing them. As soon as she saw Harry, Ginny grabbed Dean’s hand. Harry sighed. How long was this going to continue?

They reached the Great Hall. Many of the girls gasped, it was really beautifully decorated. There were the usual twelve trees, but also many angels flying in the air. They took their places and Professor Dumbledore stood to talk.

“My dear students! Welcome everyone and have fun. I have to tell you something before the party starts. At the middle of the party, they’re going to be chosen Miss and Mister of the evening, so please everyone “ you can vote for anybody from the opposite sex! The couple should also dance at the end. So have fun!” He sat down and Harry looked at Hermione.

“So what now? What’s the plan?” he asked, concerned.

“Come, let’s vote!” she said and started to pull him to the ballot-box.

Harry heard a very loud laugh from behind and turned. It was Lavender. It seemed that Ron had told her something very funny.

“And who are you going to vote for, if I may ask?” Ron asked Hermione sarcastically. “That midget here?” he pointed Harry.

“Yeah, that’s right! I’m going to vote for my precious boyfriend, because he is handsome, nice and…” She stopped as she was wondering what to say.

“Yeah, what else?” Ron asked with a sneer.

Hermione smiled, walked to Ron and whispered in his ear, “And an amazing kisser.”

Ron froze and his sneering smile disappeared at once. He was just standing there and staring at the girl. Hermione smiled satisfied and turned to Harry.

“I think I’m going to get some fresh air, sweetie. We can vote later,” she said and walked out of the Hall.

Harry saw Ron’s expression and walked out quickly too. But he didn’t follow Hermione “ he was not in the mood to talk with her right now. He turned to the opposite direction and heard a familiar voice from somewhere. He walked slowly to the place that the voices were coming from and hid behind one statue. He saw then very long and pretty red hair. It was Ginny and she was talking to Dean. Harry knew that he shouldn’t listen, but he couldn’t resist it.

“…how many times I’ve got to tell you this, Dean?” she said angrily.

“How many times? What do you mean, Ginny, that you used me like a toy?”

“No, no, Dean, I didn’t! I was just angry at Harry - that’s why I asked you to come with me,” she said, desperate. “But I realized that I love him and no one else…I’m so sorry, Dean, but it won’t work between us.”

“Really? Okay, then, but don’t come to me when he dumps you!” And with that he ran away.

Harry saw how Ginny sat down on the floor and started crying. He came to her, took her in his arms and stoked her hair gently.

“Oh, Harry! I’m so sorry! I know that you’re with Hermione just because she wanted to make Ron jealous; I heard her asking you that! But I got angry and…oh, I’m so sorry!” she cried.

“It’s okay, dear, don’t cry.” He kissed her, but they broke apart, because they heard Hermione’s sudden scream.

“RON!”

They looked at each other, horrified, and started running at the direction that the scream had come from. Once they reached the place, Harry and Ginny saw the most horrible thing that they could imagine. Ron was lying on the floor; Greyback leaned over him, ready to bite him.

“NO!” screamed Hermione again. “Please don’t hurt him!”

Greyback stood up and looked at her.

“And why am I not supposed to, girl?” he asked with sarcasm.

“Because…” she started, but then bit her lip.

“Because she loves him!” said Ginny, her eyes flicking with anger.

“Oh, really?” The werewolf laughed. “And why exactly should I care?”

They all fell into silence for a few moments, but then suddenly Harry spoke.

“Because,” he said with a deep decisiveness, “love is the most powerful strength. And we can defeat you. Together.”

“Oh, so touching!” Greyback laughed again. “But I’m afraid that’s not actually true. There are other Death Eaters here. And we have an order to get that Weasley boy “ no matter whether you like it or not.”

“But why?” asked Hermione, crying. “Why him?”

“Oh, the Dark Lord thinks that it’ll be good to have him on our side.” He smiled.

“That…that’ll never happen,” Ron said as he was trying to stand. “I’ll never join the Dark Side.”

“Oh?” Greyback grinned. “We are going to see about that, boy.”

Then suddenly they heard a loud crash from downstairs. All of the kids turned, alarmed. Very soon a blond boy came in the corridor. Harry looked at him with hatred.

“Malfoy,” he said.

“Long time, no see, Potter,” smirked Malfoy. Then he turned to Greyback.

“The others are downstairs; they are fighting with that stupid Order.”

Greyback grinned and said, “What do you think, Malfoy? If I catch that Mudblood girl, will the Weasley boy join us?”

Harry shuddered. The blond boy, however, smirked again and said, “I would give it a try.”

“Don’t you dare!” yelled Ron. “I won’t let you harm her.”

“Ooh, so you love her too!” The werewolf clapped his hands together. “How touching, really.”

Before any of them could say a word, there was another crash and five people came in the corridor. Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Alastor Moody and Albus Dumbledore himself raised their wands at the Death Eaters. As the others were fighting, Remus came to them.

“Are you all right?” he asked in concern. Harry nodded.

“Then go on, quickly, run and meet us at the Great Hall,” he ordered. “We’ll manage it.”

They didn’t need to be told twice. The four of them were running, and no one said a word until they reached the Great Hall. Harry and Ginny went in, but Ron grabbed Hermione’s wrist and she turned to face him.

“Is it true?” he asked. “What Ginny said back there…that you love me?”

She looked for a very long moment in his eyes then smiled and whispered, “Ginny’s always right, isn’t she?”

He leaned back to kiss her, but just then, Harry came from the Great Hall. “Come now, you two. The couple of the evening is going to be chosen.”

Ron grabbed Hermione’s hand and they walked in, just when Dumbledore stood up.

“So now, ladies and gentlemen, I will announce who are the Miss and the Mister of the party,” he said, smiling. “I’m sure that all of you are expecting this moment with excitement.” He paused for a moment and looked at everyone in the Great Hall. “I am afraid that I’m going to disappoint the ladies and gentlemen from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, but this year both of our winners are from Gryffindor. Miss Granger and Mister Weasley please come here to dance!”

Ron and Hermione looked at each other with both surprise and excitement. Ron took Hermione’s hand again and they walked in front of all, and started dancing slowly. Harry smiled and looked at Dumbledore. He could swear that the Headmaster winked at him.

“Who did you vote for, after all?” Ron whispered in Hermione’s ear.

“You,” she whispered back and smiled.

“Me too.” She looked at him with question in her eyes. “I voted for you.” He took her in his arms and kissed her gently on the lips.

But this time she didn’t break away and returned his kiss. Because she knew that here is where she belonged. In Ron Weasley’s arms, dancing under the moonlight.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=66845