Seasonal Suffering by DoraeAzure
Summary: When Hermione falls in love with her red-haired best friend, she comes to realize that holidays are no help at all. Features secret agent Hermione (theme song included!), semi-psychotic Ginny, smugly smirking Harry, Quidditch kit Ron, snowball fights, breaking and entering, presents, stolen clothes, owl poop, broken platters and a truly spectacular hexing of Malfoy.
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 26228 Read: 22377 Published: 05/16/07 Updated: 04/24/12

1. Decorating Dilemma by DoraeAzure

2. Girls' Day Gainsay by DoraeAzure

3. Present Prank (Part 1) by DoraeAzure

4. Present Prank (Part 2) by DoraeAzure

5. Quidditch Quest by DoraeAzure

6. Nap Necessity by DoraeAzure

Decorating Dilemma by DoraeAzure
Author's Notes:
Much thanks to my wonderful beta: loonyloopylupin
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This story is based on the Harry Potter books (and the people and situations found therein) created and owned by JK Rowling and various publishers, merchandisers, and movie makers.  I own nothing but a copy of the books and the plot of this story; no money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Should the sparkling red satin ribbons or the green pine garlands go over the portrait hole? Should she use a bubble or a fairy lights charm to decorate the Christmas tree? And should it be never-melting icicles or frost flowers for the windowpanes?

So many choices and so little time.

Why, oh why, had she ever agreed to the suggestion that Gryffindor should decorate their common room? Whose brilliant idea was that anyway? Oh yeah--Ron's. Because a couple of homesick first years had to stay at school for Christmas, and he had thought it might help cheer them up for the duration. And then Harry had said that it might be more fun to try to do as much as possible without magic, and- and - everything was just a big mess! It was a nice idea, and it seemed to be working as said first years were happily decorating the girls' staircase and had yet to shed a tear over the fact that they were not to be going home with the others in two days, but that didn't mean she was enjoying the experience. It was going to give her a headache, never mind the fact that she loved organizing groups to handle different parts of the room, or that she enjoyed designing pretty decorations for the walls, or...whatever. She wasn't having fun. No. Because she was stuck helping the genius who had thought this all up.

Hermione sighed, looked up from the numerous boxes of ornaments and decorations surrounding her, and glanced around the common room. It wasn't a pretty sight. Most of the boxes she had been digging through were more than half empty, their contents littering the floor in haphazard heaps and piles or spread out across the tables, couches and chairs which had been pushed back against the walls. Or caught in Ron Weasley's tousled hair, she noticed with a smile, her gaze frozen on the tinsel hanging from his ears and tangled very noticeably on the top of his head. Very little of it, anyway, was hanging where it was supposed to be. She cocked her head to one side with a smile, still looking at him. The silver of the tinsel compliments the red of his hair nicely, she thought, watching him fondly, unable to help noticing how well it brought out the gold highlights within all the red. And though he might look a little foolish, it was just so cute, she added with a little mental laugh. Then she frowned when she realized what she was doing. Her gaze was instantly diverted back to the safety of the ornaments and her wandering thoughts quickly contained. She'd been having far too many like that lately...

"Is this centered?" A deep voice smoothly directed her attention back to the redhead on the ladder, and she obliged somewhat reluctantly. But only somewhat.

"A little to the left," she told him after a few seconds' careful examination. He moved the red and silver bow a few inches in the direction she'd indicated and paused, thumb pressing the center of the bow to the wall.

"No, a little more," she said. "A little more...perfect." Ron carefully fixed the bow to the wall where she'd indicated and leaned back to examine it.

"How's that look?" he asked.

"Just the way it should," she replied, keeping her eyes focused solely on the decoration rather than the boy who'd put it there. Even so, she could see him grin in satisfaction out of the corner of her eye when he started back down the ladder and reached to move it. Muscles built in daily Quidditch practices rippled under the fitted blue jumper she had bought him for his birthday as he lifted the ladder and swung it to the left, and she congratulated herself again on her excellent taste. Very nice, she thought. The jumper, that is, she clarified quickly, then sighed. Maybe I shouldn't have bought him that jumper. Maybe I should have gone with the orange Chudley Cannons sweatshirt. Ron turned around, grinning brightly at her, and the brilliant blue of his eyes, complimented by the sweater, made her breath catch in her throat despite the good ten yards separating them. And they made her want to stare.

And kick herself. Definitely should have gone with the sweatshirt.

"What?" he asked her, grin still in place, but with one eyebrow raised in teasing question. She realized then that she had been staring.

"Nothing," she answered quickly, feeling heat rising in her cheeks. His grin widened and he held out his hand.

"Next!" he ordered; she just rolled her eyes and handed him the next branch of holly tied with red ribbon. He took it from her, and she tried not to notice when his fingers brushed hers. It didn't work. Thankfully, he was up the ladder with his back to her before her blush fully manifested itself and he didn't notice. This is ridiculous.

Hermione looked around the room again, searching for a distraction, and found it in the form of two third year girls trying unsuccessfully to hang mistletoe above the center of the portrait hole. A couple of boys in their year were preventing them from accomplishing their task by attempting to steal the mistletoe before it could be hung. She chuckled to herself when, in the midst of their full-scale battle, they finally collapsed in a laughing heap on the floor, with the mistletoe landing ten feet away.

"What's so funny?" asked a voice by her ear. She turned and smiled at Harry, who was just settling himself beside her after a run to the kitchens, and she indicated the four teens untangling themselves several yards away.

"Remind you of anyone?"

"Not that I can think of," he told her in response. "We were certainly never that rambunctious." He grinned mischievously, despite his words, and handed her a mug of hot chocolate. She gratefully accepted, wrapping her chilled fingers around the warmth of the mug and sipping delicately.

"Where's mine?" Ron had finished moving the ladder for the umpteenth time and plopped down on Hermione's other side, looking expectantly at their black-haired best friend. Harry took one look at him and burst into loud laughter, passing Ron's mug quickly to Hermione before he spilt it.

"What? What's so funny?" Wordlessly Harry pointed and laughed some more. Ron glared at him, then at Hermione when he saw that she was grinning too. "What is so funny?" he demanded hotly, and Harry finally calmed down enough to speak.

"You've got tinsel all tangled in your hair, Ron," he gasped out.

"Not to mention hanging from your ears, and falling down your back," added Hermione helpfully.

"You knew about this and didn't say anything?" Ron glared at her irritably.

"Oh, don't be such a baby," she told him teasingly. "I didn't say anything because it was cute, but if it really bothers you so much, I'll get it out. Come here." He continued to glare, but he leaned his head forward for her. Working quickly, so as not to get flustered by the fact that Ron was so close she could smell his shampoo beneath the warm scent of the cologne he always wore, Hermione removed all traces of silver from his back and neck and moved on to picking it out of the silky red of his hair. She was always surprised, whenever she came in contact with Ron's hair (which wasn't often, unfortunately), at just how soft it was. And it was getting long, she noticed thoughtfully. When he bothered to mess with his hair at all, Ron had a tendency to cut it short so that it would be a long while before he had to mess with it again. But Hermione preferred it a bit on the longer side, just enough so that it curled over his ears and the nape of his neck, just enough so that you wanted to run your hands through it. Ron thought it looked messy, but really, he had no idea how much female attention he attracted when he wore his hair that way. In truth, he attracted a lot of attention anyway, with his big blue eyes, handsome features, and lazy grin, but it was worse than ever this year, as Quidditch workouts had provided the opportunity to fill out his lanky 6'3" frame. All in all, he really was good-looking, and this, added to his proficiency on the pitch and his incredible sense of humor, had made the sixth year a great favorite with all the girls. And of course, he had no clue.

Next year, she thought, give him until next year. That should be enough time for him to realize his popularity... His ego will probably rival Malfoy's when it happens, too.

Sifting out the last of the tinsel with great care and some reluctance, Hermione sighed, irritated with herself. Perhaps it would be better, after all, if he were to cut the stuff.

"Your hair wants cutting," she told him softly, lifting a few thick strands between her fingers. He sighed.

"I know. It's getting shaggy."

"It only needs a bit of a trim though," she assured him, giving in to the voice in her head that cried for the loss of his hair. "You don't need to cut it all off." Weak! Shaking her head, she ran her fingers through the loose ends at the nape of his neck one last time and reluctantly pulled away.

"I'm done," she told him. He sat back, taking both his warmth and the wonderful boy smell of his cologne with him. She had trouble containing a sigh of disappointment. Snap out of it, Hermione!

He ran his hand through his hair once, and she noticed he was looking a little red in the ears. She frowned; what we he blushing for? Taking a look around the room, she caught sight a couple of fifth year girls smiling and throwing flirtatious looks his way, and figured that must be it. Then her eyes caught Harry's. Her other best friend was grinning at her in that knowing way he sometimes got that she never understood. Her frown deepened as she looked at him questioningly, but his only response was the lift of one suggestive eyebrow and a glance at Ron. She shook her head; she didn't understand. He rolled his eyes but his grin only widened, and she was suddenly struck by how good-looking he was, too. The last few years had been good to him as he grew up, she realized, and with a grin of her own, she thought about how ironic it was that her two best friends, who had both been very clumsy, somewhat goofy-looking eleven-year-olds, had grown up to nearly completely monopolize the attention of Hogwarts's female population --"nearly completely" only because Malfoy hadn't done too badly in the looks department either and had his fair share of admirers. But Harry and Ron, together, far outstripped him. She really did have two very beautiful friends. Feeling somewhat inadequate all of a sudden, as she sometimes did when she remembered that they were very attractive males as well as her best friends, Hermione stood up.

"Leaving?" Ron asked. She looked down at him.

"Momentarily," she replied, wondering how they never seemed to notice that every female eye was on them. Not for the first time, she thought, They're probably all wondering why Harry and Ron hang out with someone who looks like me when they look like they do. Ginny makes sense -- she's beautiful -- but me?

Speaking of Ginny...

Hermione pointedly turned her gaze to Harry. "I'm going to go find Ginny," she told him imperiously. "She's supposed to help me decorate the fireplace. I tell you this so that you are aware that you may not come over and interrupt us. We have agreed that this is to be our no-Harry-no-Ron time for the month, as it's been at least that long since we've had a chance to say two words without one of you interrupting us. So stay here," she pointed to the floor where they sat, "and finish putting up the holly, okay?"

Harry, whose face had lit up at the mention of his girlfriend's name, now scowled playfully up at her. "Oh sure," he said, "monopolize my girlfriend's time. Never mind the fact that I'm in love with her and that it's almost Christmas and there's a convenient number of mistletoe sprigs lying about. See if I care. I'll just sit here with Ron." And he made a face as he flopped back on the floor, right on top of her pile of holly. She blinked at him, trying to decide how to respond to that, but Ron beat her to it. He was staring at Harry with a look of mixed disgust and amusement.

"Who says I'd be letting you anywhere near mistletoe with Ginny anyway? I don't mind you dating her, mate, but that doesn't mean I want to see you kissing her. You may be my best friend, but she's still my sister, and that's just gross." A pause. "And what are you trying to say, exactly? My company not good enough for you anymore?"

"Don't get me wrong, Ron, I still love you and all, but it's just not the same when I'm with you as when I'm with your sister. I think it's because I'm really just not attracted to you."

"Oh, I see how it is. It's the freckles, isn't it? You're repulsed because I don't have delicate little freckles like she does, aren't you? Well, that's fine. That's okay. I don't think you're pretty enough for me anyway." Hermione winced as this hit a little too close to home.

"Are you calling me ugly?"

"As a toad, Harry."

"So now I'm a toad."

"You heard me."

Pause.

"That's it." And with that, Harry launched himself at his best friend. Hermione, chuckling softly, was quick to make her escape.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You fancy him."

Hermione looked up from the garland she was magically sticking to the mantle and gave Ginny a questioning look. "What?"

"My brother." Ginny huffed, exasperated. "You fancy him. Why won't you just admit it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Hermione sniffed, returning her attention to charming the garland in place.

"Uh-huh. You've been sneaking glances at him when you think no one's looking for the past half hour."

"I haven't. And I don't see how you would know, anyway. Your eyes have been glued to Harry since the moment we walked in the door."

"Except for the times when I was watching you watch my brother," Ginny agreed.

Hermione glared at her. "I wasn't watching Ron."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Right. And I'm not in love with Harry."

"You're not?" came a hurt voice from behind them. Hermione's eyes narrowed at the sound.

"I told you," she said, words forced through her tightened jaw, "that you were not allowed over here." She turned around slowly, her face deceptively sweet as she looked up at her black-haired friend. "So what do you think you're doing?" The question was as innocent as the look on her face, but Harry wasn't fooled. Actually, she noted gleefully, he was suddenly rather nervous.

"Uh...saying hello?"

"No! You're leaving!" she exploded, and stood up, heedless of the decorations in her lap. Grabbing him by the shoulders, she turned him around (allowing herself to pretend that she hadn't only managed the feat because he'd let her), and pushed him away. "Both of you!" She added, noticing and glaring at a cowering Ron.

"But Hermione, he's a terrible partner!" Ron exclaimed defensively, pointing an accusatory finger at Harry. "He sits there and purposely messes things up and makes them off center--"

"I already told you-- I don't do it on purpose!" Harry protested. Ron ignored him.

"I can't work with him! I need you!" he pleaded.

Ignoring the increase in her heart rate, she glared even more. "Go!" she told them, pointing at the ladder on the other side of the room. "I'll come straighten up your mess when I'm done here."

"But why won't you--"

"No! I am with the two of you all day long, every day. Every day! But I am not a boy; I am a girl. I know you often forget this, Ron, but it's true nevertheless, and sometimes I just need a break-- just a little time away from boys. Like now! Go!"

"Okay, okay," he told her hastily, and then he muttered, so softly under his breath that she wasn't sure she really heard him, "and I most definitely know you're a girl."

Had she heard that right?

She gave a little mental shrug and turned back to Ginny who was grinning ear to ear.

"You fancy him!"

Hermione's fists clenched. "Ahhh!" and with that, she half-jokingly tackled her friend and playfully began a fight much like the one she had witnessed between Harry and Ron not twenty minutes earlier. A fight that only ended when Ginny laughingly called out:

"Are you sure you're not a boy after all? I mean, only my brothers try to beat me up like this..." At which point Hermione back-pedaled about three feet and sat glaring at her.

"I hate you."

Ginny just laughed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why? Why oh why do I allow myself to give in to these things? If I had just followed my instincts I would have stayed up in my room and studied today, and then not only would I be that much closer to feeling ready for our NEWTS next year, but I would not be stuck cleaning all of this up..."

Hermione paused and looked around the common room. It was covered in everything from red and silver bows and multicolored Christmas ornaments to tangled piles of ribbons and garlands and discarded magical decorations. Multitudes of pine needles and torn holly leaves had been ground into the carpet, tinsel literally covered the floor, and there were five or six escaped fairies wreaking havoc with the glittery stuff up near the ceiling. And aside from herself, the room was entirely empty.

"I hate you, Ron Weasley..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Girls' Day Gainsay by DoraeAzure
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta, loonyloopylupin. Also, sorry to those of you who were wondering about the trailing sentence earlier. I didn't realize there was a length issue. But I fixed it!
Chapter Two: Girls’ Day Gainsay

Chapter Two: Girls’ Day Gainsay

Hermione was rudely awakened by the disconcerting feeling of her bed bouncing beneath her and a warm weight suddenly falling down beside her.  She frowned, groggily trying to figure out what was going on, when her bed bounced again and another weight dropped down on her other side.  She buried her face in her pillow.

“Go away…” she moaned, still frowning.

“Wake up, Hermione!” 

Hermione’s frown deepened.  “No,” she replied, voice muffled by the pillow.  “I don’t want to.”

“You may not want to, but you’re going to.  You promised to see us off this morning.”

“I lied.”

“You?  You wouldn’t dare.  Get up, Hermione, before we take drastic measures.”

”Drastic measures,” another voice agreed, and sounded delighted at the possibility.  “Like tickling you, or jumping on your bed…”

“Stealing all your covers and dragging you, pajama clad and sleep rumpled, down the stairs to the common room…”

“Ooo! I bet Ron would love to see that!”

“Yeah.  And I happen to know for a fact that he’s down there right now, playing Wizard’s Chess with Harry.”

“All right! All right!  I’m up!” she groaned, flinging one arm out of the covers but making no other move to get up aside from opening her eyes. “Though I don’t see why I should care whether or not Ron and Harry see me like this.”  She glared in mock anger at Lavender Brown, who lay on one side in front of her, and then twisted her head to do the same to Parvati Patil, who had flopped down behind her.  Though neither girl was very much like Hermione in any way, shape or form, the three of them had been roommates so long, and had been through so much together (what with Hermione being so closely involved in, and affected by, Harry and Ron’s rather dangerous adventures and all), that they had become close friends despite their differences.   Even if the other two did often irritate her with their silly, irrational, girly behavior.  So it was really no surprise to Hermione that they’d taken the liberty to wake her up so rudely.

“We didn’t say Ron and Harry,” said Parvati, rolling her eyes.  “We said Ron.  It’s only for Ron that you bother with how you look, not that I think it matters at all.  You could wear bright red clown pants, a neon pink shirt, and spike your hair, and he’d still not be able to take his eyes off you.” 

“Of course not, because I’d look like a freak.  The whole school would be staring at me.”  Hermione could practically feel Lavender roll her eyes behind her. 

“That wasn’t what she meant.  She meant that he likes you.” 

“I know that.  He is my best friend after all.” 

Parvati stared at her, then violently sat up.  “I give up,” she cried, throwing her hands into the air and leaping away from the bed. She whirled to face Hermione, pointing one finger at her angrily.  “You are so dense!  When are you going to realize that not only are you not the same girl you were in first year, not only are you not a buck-toothed, bushy-haired know-it-all freak, but you are now a beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted girl, and that there are several guys, Ron included, who would love to date you!  What do we have to do to get that through to you, tattoo it on your forehead?!”  She glared at the girl in the bed.  “You have fifteen minutes to get up, shower, and get dressed, and then we’re going down stairs, all of us, whether you’re ready or not.  So get up!”

Hermione looked, wide eyed, over at Lavender, who sighed and shook her head. 

“She’s right you know.  You’re not a goofy looking eleven year- old anymore.  You’ve noticed that Harry has grown up, and you’ve most definitely noticed the changes in Ron,” she paused long enough to grin at the blush on her friend’s face, but began again before Hermione could protest, “but you haven’t seemed to grasp the changes in yourself.”  She gave Hermione a moment to let that sink in before smiling gently at her.  “For someone who’s so smart, you’re awfully dumb sometimes.” 

Hermione stared at her, then smiled.

“Thank you, Lavender.” 

Lavender slung an arm around her friend in a gentle hug.  “No problem.  That’s what friends are for.  Now, you’d better get up.  Parvati wasn’t kidding when she gave you fifteen minutes.  We can’t afford to leave any later than that if we want breakfast first.”

“Okay.”

Exactly thirteen minutes later, Hermione, dripping hair pulled back in a messy bun on the back of her head and a loose sweatshirt hanging comfortably over worn jeans under her open school robes, was walking out the door with her two friends and heading down to breakfast. 

“Dressed to impress today, are we?” a familiar voice called out from behind them as they reached the stairs down to the common room.  The three girls turned to see Ginny, beautiful as always, coming down the stairs to meet them.  She was looking at Hermione and fingering her own old and faded sweatshirt.  “Me too!” she exclaimed with a grin, her eyes gazing pointedly at a hole in the knees of her jeans.  Hermione grinned back up at her.  The two had made plans when they decorated the common room two days before to spend the first day of the hols together, so they could actually have some (hopefully) uninterrupted girl time.  Hermione, having realized that they would probably see very little of the male population of Hogwarts today, and hopefully Ron and Harry not at all, had decided that she wanted to be at her most comfortable.  Clearly, Ginny had come to the same decision.  Hermione eyed her critically.

“Is that Ron’s old sweatshirt?” she asked curiously, noting the way the faded black sweatshirt hung half way down the other girl’s thighs, and was gathered in a thick roll at each wrist to free her hands.  Ginny grinned broadly and nodded, and Hermione shook her head. 

“You don’t have enough clothes of your own that you have to go stealing Ron’s?”  Lavender questioned, amused.  Ginny’s grin widened, if that were possible.

“I just love to see his reaction when he realizes that I’ve been through his wardrobe again.  Besides,” she added, hugging herself, “his clothes are so big and warm.  They’re the most comfortable things I own.”  This drew laughter from the whole group, and Ginny waved one hand in the air as she took a step down.  “So,” she chirped, a little too brightly for Hermione’s comfort, “let’s go down to breakfast.”  The four started down the stairs, and Hermione eyed the back of Ginny’s head suspiciously.

“You just want to see if Harry’s in the Great Hall so you can spend some time with him before we go away for Girls’ Day,” she accused. 

Ginny looked with wide-eyed innocence up at her friend.  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah.  Uh-huh.  Traitor.”  Another grin, and they were out the portrait hole.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione groaned softly for the third time and dropped her fork to her plate, cradling her head in her hands.  Lavender, sitting to her right, snickered quietly, and Hermione shot her a nasty glare. 

“Don’t you have a train to catch?”

“Not at the moment, no.” 

Hermione growled at her, and went back to pushing her food around on her plate.  Not two minutes later, Ron reached for his pumpkin juice and his elbow brushed her arm.  Again.  She wanted to scream.

Instead, she gritted her teeth and bore it.

How irritating.  Not only did we end up seeing Ron and Harry, we end up sitting right next to them.  Grrr… this is all Ginny and Parvati’s fault.  

“Hermione? Are you okay?”  Ron’s low voice cut through her thoughts, making her jump, startled.

“Whoa,” he said with a laugh. “Not a little tense, are we?”

“Shut up, Ron,” she ground out, glaring at him.  He arched an eyebrow.

“What’d I do?”

You only had to go and sit next to me, looking amazing, and smelling wonderful, and being all around distracting, that’s what!

“Nothing,” she managed to say.  He stared at her a moment longer, and she kept her head down until he finally looked away again. 

Why, oh why didn’t I wear my normal clothing today?  I should have known I couldn’t go a day without seeing him!  Oh well, at least I’m comfortable and embarrassed, instead of just embarrassed.

She sat very still, afraid to move for fear of touching him at all, because all she really wanted to do was throw her arms around him and tell him how absolutely idiotic she thought him for not noticing that she was right here and that she loved him.

 I’ve lost my mind!

Ginny caught her eye from across the table and smirked.  Hermione, glowering down at her hands to avoid the look, happened, at this point, to realize what time it was, and her eyes flew wide.

“Girls, sorry to rush you, but we’ve got approximately five minutes to get your stuff out to the carriages,” she told her two roommates.

“What?!” Parvati leapt up, Lavender on her heels, and went flying out the door.  Hermione, concentrating as she was on hurrying them along, threw her mumbled goodbye swiftly over one shoulder, giving her no opportunity to see the way Ron’s eyes never left her figure as she raced out the door, nor the knowing looks exchanged between Ginny and Harry. 

Moments later, Ron, still blinking at Hermione’s hurried exit, voiced the question that had been on his mind since the day they decorated the common room.

“Does anyone else get the feeling that she’s avoiding me?”

Harry and Ginny laughed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Murmuring a spell under her breath, a soaking wet Hermione quietly charmed all the snowballs in her pile to ambush Ginny, whom she knew was hunting her down with a pile of her own in her arms.  A moment’s wait and a surprised shout was all it took for Hermione to know her trick had been successful.  She shifted her weight and rose from her hiding place at the base of a tree (where she had spent the last ten minutes avoiding Ginny and tweaking several of the spells they’d learned in charms until she found one that would work on the snowballs) and peered around the trunk to see whether it was safe to come out or not. 

It was.

She stood ten feet away from her fallen friend and chuckled wickedly as she observed Ginny flailing about, struggling to rise from the snowdrift in which she was trapped and failing several times.  The redhead spotted the older girl and waved her over.

“Help!” she cried pathetically, which only made Hermione laugh harder.

“No way.  If I tried to help you out of there, you’d only pull me in after you.  I’ve played this game with Ron before; how stupid do you Weasleys think I am?”

“With Ron, huh?” Ginny repeated slyly, ceasing her struggling long enough to lift her eyebrows meaningfully.  “You fancy him!” she sang.  Hermione rolled her eyes and sent a few more snowballs at her helpless friend.

“No fair, Hermione,” she pouted. “We agreed not to use spells, and now you’ve done it twice!”

“Oh, so I suppose you thought I would just let that whole snow falling from the tree thing go then?  I know you used a spell for that, Gin; I heard you say it.”

“Forgive and forget, I always say,” the girl said with an impish grin.

“I was buried for two full minutes!” 

The grin widened.  “What’s a couple of minutes between friends?”

“I’m soaked, and I still have ice melting down my back.” 

Ginny’s grin broke out into loud self-satisfied laughter.  “Oops!” she laughed around her insincere apology, “S-sorry H-Hermione!”  And she collapsed back into the snowdrift she had almost worked her way out of, clutching her stomach.  Hermione’s eyes narrowed, and she thoughtfully twirled her wand between long slender fingers.

“Oh, that’s all right, Ginny,” she said sweetly, “I expect we’re nearly even,” she muttered something under her breath, and let herself smile, “now.”  Ginny’s laughter stopped abruptly as she found herself sitting in a snowdrift that was quickly growing warmer.  A snowdrift that was quickly growing warmer and melting.  Melting right through her clothes, that’s what it was doing.  She struggled to her feet and glared at the evil, snickering Hermione, flapping her arms slightly to shake the freezing water from the sleeves of her sweatshirt and the edges of her sopping cloak.  This only turned Hermione’s evil snicker into maniacal laughter.  Ginny unclasped her now useless cloak and draped it calmly over one arm, glaring menacingly at her friend. 

“Laugh while you can, wicked fiend.  You forget I’ve grown up playing this game with six ruthless boys.” She waved her wand with a flourish and a murmur, and several snowballs were suddenly hovering over her left shoulder.  Hermione frowned at them.  They were awfully big, and had a rather funny blue tinge…

Ginny smiled.  “You’re in trouble.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry and Ron looked up from their game of Wizard’s chess as the portrait hole slammed open suddenly, and shot to their feet as one excessively wet and clearly distraught Hermione came flying through, pulling the portrait roughly shut behind her.

“Hermione!” exclaimed Ron, staring at her.  “What happened?”  She was literally soaked; everything from her hair”falling as it was from the tie that supposedly held it”to her boots, which literally splashed when she walked, was positively dripping. 

“Little cheater,” she muttered, shivering and glancing desperately around the room without seeming to see them at all, “”snowballs with water-melting”got what she deserved.”

“Hermione?” Harry looked genuinely concerned.

“Can’t be mad over -tle revenge.  -’s not fair at all.”  Hermione was examining the space behind every piece of furniture that was not visible from the doorway with a critical eye, muttering to herself all the while.  Ron and Harry shared a worried glance and made as if to approach their friend when…

The portrait slammed open yet again.

Hermione dove to the floor in front of the couch.

And…

Ginny flew through the portrait hole with a glare of anger and determination.

Ron and Harry stared back and forth between them.

Hermione, their best friend and comrade in adventure, miss studiousness, miss perfect prefect, miss decorum herself, was dripping wet, sloshing even, and cowering on the floor before the couch.

Ginny, beloved sister and girlfriend, adventurous, fun, and easygoing, was glaring around the room, eyes nearly red with rage, and dripping clothes making a good-sized puddle on the floor. 

The only difference between their appearances, really, the boys noticed, aside from the fact that Ginny’s puddle before the portrait hole could not even begin to compare to Hermione’s puddle before the couch, and that one looked furious and one looked as though she feared for her life, and that one was short and standing and the other taller and laying down, or that one was a redhead and the other a brunette-

Okay so the dripping was really their only similarity.

The most noticeable difference between the two, then, the boys noticed, was the fact that all the water in Ginny’s hair seemed to have frozen in long reddish-pink frosted icicles sticking straight out from the back of her head, as if she were running.  And at the end of each of these long icicle streamers, a bit of thawed red hair protruded where the warmth of the castle had begun to melt the ice, and water dripped down from these to add to Ginny’s ever growing puddle, which still couldn’t compare to Hermione’s puddle, which was nearly bigger than the couch now and didn’t seem to need the aid of melting hair, which was good because Hermione’s hair wasn’t frozen at all, hence the difference in appearance. 

Both boys would have laughed if they weren’t so confused.

“All right, Hermione,” Ginny hissed, narrowed eyes glaring around.  “I know you’re in here; I can hear your teeth chattering.”  This was a miracle, as her own teeth were chattering so hard it could be heard across the room.

Ginny’s eyes settled on the couch.  Actually, they settled on the puddle pooling out from under and around the couch. 

“Hiding behind the couch are we?” And she launched herself around one side of said piece of furniture.  To Harry and Ron’s growing confusion and amusement, Hermione shot out the other side. 

“Absolutely not,” the older girl replied, “I was just taking a bit of a nap.”  Ginny chased her around the couch, almost slipping in Hermione’s puddle (and vice versa, as there was now a veritable lake surrounding that unhappy item from all their dripping), but Hermione managed to always keep Ginny on the opposite side of the one she occupied.

“Stop running and face me like a man!”

“But I’m not a man.  I’m very much a girl, remember?  We established this a few days ago.”

“Coward!”

“I act purely in self-preservation!”

“And you need it too!”

“Forgive and forget, I always say!”

“You froze my hair!”

 “You enchanted seven snowballs the size of my head and filled with freezing cold water to attack me.  And then they melted!”

“You ambushed me into a snowdrift and melted it!”

“You dumped a tree’s worth of snow on my head and left me to dig myself out!” 

Ginny leapt over the back of the couch.  “You are dead!” She leapt at Hermione, who had skidded and slipped to a precarious halt when the other girl jumped in front of her, and found herself nearly falling when Hermione was no longer where she had been a moment before. 

For she was a smart girl. 

Self-defense came first and foremost in situations like this, yep.

So she did the one thing she could think of that might possibly save her from Ginny’s wrath.

She hid behind Ron.

Who better to defend her after all?  Of her two best friends, he was the least likely to be crushed after standing against Ginny.  There was Harry’s heart to consider after all.  Besides, Harry might side with Ginny, the traitor.  Ron wouldn’t dare.

Then again, Ginny did look pretty scary.  Still…

“Did you see that?” she hissed, grabbing hold of Ron’s shirt in one half-frozen hand and pointing shakily under his arm with the other.  Her shivering made both her hands and words unsteady.  “She jumped the couch.  She cheated again!”

“You cheated too!” Ginny had steadied herself on the arm of the couch and was now glaring at Hermione, whose slender form was all but invisible behind Ron’s.  “Come out from behind there, coward!”

“No! And you cheated first!”

Ginny’s mouth opened, then closed, then opened again.  “Well that’s true, but the fact remains that you froze my hair and now must pay!  Come here!”   Poor Ron wasn’t wearing anything heavier than slacks and a thin jumper when Hermione wrapped her arms around him from behind and turned to keep him in front of her as she hid from his sister, so he was instantly soaked and freezing when her sopping clothing made contact with his. 

“H-Harry,” he shivered helplessly, “you wanna lend a hand here?”  Harry just laughed and fell back into an armchair.  He stopped laughing when a sudden movement from Hermione sent Ron stumbling into Ginny, who fell into her boyfriend’s lap and soaked him as well.  Ron smirked.

“Sh-shut up,” chattered Harry. 

Meanwhile, Ginny had finally tackled Hermione to the floor, and pinned her down. 

“Ah!  Help!” screeched Hermione flailing about in an attempt to get free.  She was making strange spluttering choking noises, interspersed with the sound of chattering teeth and more cries for help.  Both boys leapt to their feet and moved to separate the two when they suddenly realized the sound they were hearing was comfortingly familiar.  The choking sound of lost breath was a bit unusual, and the shivering and chattering entirely unprecedented, but otherwise it was a sound they knew well.

Hermione was laughing. 

“Say it,” Ginny demanded.

“Never!” Hermione declared between laughs.

“Say it!” Ginny tickled harder.

“It would be a lie!”

“Say it!”

“Death first!” 

Merciless tickling ensued.

“All right, all right, I’m sorry!”  Ginny let her up immediately.  Hermione glared.  “I still say you’re evil.”

“I wasn’t the one doing the diabolical laughter thing outside twenty minutes ago.”

“No, you were the one running down the hall, screaming like a banshee about murder and tearing of limbs from bodies.”

“Not ‘bodies,’ Hermione, ‘body,’ singular.  As in yours.”

“See, evil.”

“Does someone want to explain to me what is going on here?”  The two girls looked up at Ron. 

“What?” asked Ginny.

“You know, with the hiding and the chasing, and the dripping and the screaming?”  Ron replied.

“We’re having Girls’ Day,” said Ginny.

“Yeah,” echoed Hermione. “Girls’ Day.” She paused, examined both Harry and Ron very carefully, and came to a conclusion.  “You’re not girls.”

“Now she notices,” said Harry, rolling his eyes.

“They’re not girls,” Ginny whispered, scandalized and staring wide-eyed at Hermione.

“Which is good, considering you’re dating him,” Ron told her, jerking his thumb in Harry’s direction.

“Silence, male!” Ginny ordered, pointing imperiously and glaring up at her brother.  “It’s Girls’ Day, you may not speak to me.”  Ron and Harry exchanged rather exasperated looks.

“Can I talk to you?” Harry questioned.

“Well-” Ginny considered.

“No!” cried Hermione. “It’s Girl’s Day!  No boys!  Come on, Ginny, let’s go defrost your hair before you go ruining Girls’ Day with stupid boyfriends.”  That said, she grabbed her friend’s arm and dragged her up the girls’ dormitory stairs, but not without giving her two best friends a parting glare on her way.  She completely missed the half amused, half apologetic smile Ginny directed at her boyfriend just before they were swallowed by the staircase. 

Ron and Harry stared after them, then surveyed the mess that was the common room.  Most of the furniture was wet and/or disarrayed, there was water puddled on the floor and dripping down the walls, and the fat lady could be heard violently complaining to her friend Violet about the abuse she was forced to endure even through the closed doorway. 

“Girl’s Day?” Ron asked, staring straight ahead.

“No idea.” 

“This never happened?”

“Nope.” 

Ron nodded once.  “I’ll take the common room, you handle the fat lady.” 

The two boys went their separate ways.  It was several minutes before Ron looked up from his chore, frowning thoughtfully, and, to no one in particular, said-

“That was my sweatshirt.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione sat in a plush armchair before the fire, book in her lap and blanket wrapped warmly about slim shoulders, a slight smile playing across her delicate features as she read.  With the firelight flickering over her face and her hair falling gently over one shoulder, she looked altogether peaceful.

Looks can be deceiving. 

“Ha!” she exclaimed, and violently shoved her book under the nose of the redheaded girl sitting across from her.  “I told you you had it wrong!  Erised is spelled E-R-I-S-E-D not E-R-I-S-A-I-D!”

“Let me see that!”  Ginny snatched the book (Gornelby’s New Wizard Dictionary, ninth edition: The greatest dictionary of the wizarding world) from her friend’s hand and stared at the entry for the mirror in question.  “Oh, all right!” she huffed irritably, “you were right; no need to rub it in.”

Hermione waved her hand over the board sitting on a table between them.  “Take them away so I can have my turn.”

“Yeah, yeah,” muttered Ginny rebelliously, removing six tiny square tiles from the board and putting them back on her rack.  “Just go already.”

Ron, watching them from across the exceptionally clean common room, arched an eyebrow and shot a look at his best friend.  His best friend who happened to have spent ten years of his life with Muggles.  His best friend who happened to have spent ten years of his life with Muggles, and so would understand Muggle games.

“Okay, so what are they playing again?” he asked in utter confusion.  Harry sighed.

“Scrabble.  It’s a Muggle word game in which-"

“Right, right, I know.  I was just making sure they hadn’t suddenly changed games while my back was turned.  Maybe they’d started playing some odd Muggle form of poker over there.”  Harry rolled his eyes.

“Muggles play poker with cards same as we do, Ron.”

“Well, you never can tell, really, can you?  I mean, Muggles do some pretty strange things sometimes, and they’re getting awfully violent and competitive over there.  I expect we’ll see blood any moment now.  As poker’s the only game I can think of, aside from Quidditch, of course, over which players get so worked up they try to kill one another; what else was I supposed to think?”

“It’s Scrabble, Ron,” Harry said decisively.

“But a word game?  Really, I can understand Hermione, she loves words, there’d be no books without them after all, but what is my sister doing?”

“Trying to beat Hermione, I expect.”

“I love my sister, you know I do, but what was she thinking?”

“How do you mean?” 

Ron shot him an incredulous look.  “This is Hermione we’re talking about.  Poor Ginny doesn’t stand a chance.  Now if it were poker, at least she’d be winning, the little sneak.” 

Harry just shook his head.  “You ought to watch when and where you say these things, mate.  One day they’re going to overhear you.”

“I can’t believe it!” a voice cried out.  Then another: “I won!  I won!” followed by a menacing growl and Hermione’s evil snicker.

“Why, Ginny,” she said sweetly, “I never imagined you would be such a poor loser.  Hmmm,” she paused thoughtfully. “A cheater and a poor loser, all in one day.  I think I bring out the worst in you, Weasley.” 

Ginny grinned mischievously.  “I’ll show you poor loser.  Get this wimpy Muggle game board off of my table and hand me that deck of cards.  We’re playing poker.” 

From across the room, Ron Weasley grinned.  “That’s my girl.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Royal flush.”

“That’s it.” Cards hit the table.  “We’re finding something else to do with the rest of Girls’ Day, something that doesn’t involve playing these stupid games.” 

“What’s this I hear, Hermione?  Is it?  Could it possibly be…the sound of a poor loser?”

“I swear you were cheating again, Weasley.”

“Cheating?  Now see that’s the thing about this game, Hermione.  When it comes to poker, I don’t have to.”

“… I’m going to go filch some food from the kitchen…Wanna come?”

“…Will hot chocolate be involved?”

“Is this Girls’ Day or is this Girls’ Day?”

“I’m there.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was getting rather late when Hermione climbed sleepily through the portrait hole later that day.  She and Ginny had been off celebrating Girl’s Day all afternoon and evening, and had quite literally refused to speak to Ron or Harry even during dinner, though Ginny didn’t seem opposed to sneaking glances at her boyfriend when Hermione wasn’t looking.  Somewhat amused, if a little miffed, by their behavior, the two boys had retreated to the safety of their homework, which they had worked on for several hours, right up until twenty minutes ago when Harry had put down his quill and walked decisively out the door.  Since then Ron had worked studiously on his potions essay and was about halfway through when Hermione dropped down on the couch beside him.   

“Hey,” she said softly.  He finished his sentence and looked up at her, rather surprised that she was speaking to him. 

“Hey.”  He glanced around.  “Where’s your red-headed counterpart?” 

Hermione yawned.  “Right here,” she replied sleepily, patting his arm and seemingly unaware of what she was saying.  He looked at her sharply as she tucked her feet up on the couch beside her and leaned against him.

Mmmm…warm.  Of course, Ron and warm had always been synonymous in her mind.  His eyes, his smile, his voice, his hugs…not that’d she’d had many of those, mind you.  Unfortunately.  So it didn’t surprise her at all that he was really actually warm in temperature as well as in character. 

“I meant Ginny,” he told her pointedly, interrupting her rather pleasant train of thought.  Her forehead creased drowsily as she struggled to pay attention to the conversation and not fall asleep against him.

“Hm?  Oh, she’s off kissing Harry somewhere.”

“I see.”  He frowned down at her.  Her eyelids were drooping and she was very nearly nodding.  He suppressed a smile. “Does this mean Girls’ Day is over?”

“Something to that effect, yes.”

“Oh.  Because I was beginning to think this was going to go on right through Christmas.”  Hermione snorted and yawned again. 

“Shut up, Ron,” she told him and tiredly dropped her head to his shoulder.  He started, and his whole body tensed, but after a moment’s pause and reflection, he relaxed back into the couch.

“Hermione,” he told her very softly, “you can’t sleep here for very long.”  She smiled at the sound of his voice and nodded knowingly.

“I know,” she replied, eyes closed and words slurred slightly in near unconsciousness. “But it’s lonely up in my room without Ginny.”  She yawned again, and repositioned her head.  “I’ll stay until you finish your essay.  Wake me then?”

“Uh-huh.” He paused, then, “just let me grab my stuff off the table first.”  He lifted his shoulder gently, and she grumblingly moved her head long enough for him to lean forward and gather his book, parchment, quill and ink. When he was relatively settled with his homework in his lap, she replaced her head and wondered briefly what on earth had possessed her this evening. 

Sleepiness, she reasoned.  Sleepiness and loneliness, and this stupid desire to be as close to him as possible all the time.  She smiled slightly and shifted her weight away from his arm, as she suspected he was having trouble writing with her leaning against it that way.  I’ll hate myself in the morning for embarrassing myself this way, she continued, rather unreasonably, but he’s not outwardly protesting, and I’m not going to complain if he isn’t.  Maybe this will help the aching go away for a little while, and I can stop thinking about him so much.  She sighed softly, listening to him mumble information from the book as he wrote it down, enjoying the sound and appreciating the rarity of it all that day.

I missed him.

And she fell asleep, lulled by the gentle rise and fall of Ron’s deep voice and the warmth of the room, a peaceful smile quirking the corners of her mouth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Present Prank (Part 1) by DoraeAzure
Author's Notes:
Much thanks (as always) to my wonderful beta: loonyloopylupin
Chapter Three: Present Prank

Chapter Three: Present Prank (Part 1)

It was dark and still at this early hour.  The curtains were still pulled across the windows, the lights were still unlit, the bathroom was still empty and devoid of the sound of screaming girls and running water, and all the bed hangings were still pulled closed around all the beds in the room.  All but one. 

It was quiet. 

Someone planned to change all that…

A dark figure dressed in dark clothes crept silently across the dark room to the dark hangings of a dark bed.  Bright blue numerals floating deep within the swirling gray mists of a time telling device (Morna Marlowe’s Magnificent Mean Solar Time Teller) sitting on a nightstand disappeared and reappeared one by one, 5-:-2-7, as the figure passed.  Bed hangings were gathered in a tight fist and slowly pulled open to reveal a sleeping female figure.  Soft brown hair fell gently in curls and waves about the girl’s face and across her pillow.  One slim hand was tucked sweetly under her fair cheek, the other rested lightly on the edge of her blankets, and a smile graced her delicate features.  She looked like a beautiful princess, all warm and cozy in her big soft bed; it was absolutely heart-warming.

The figure’s heart remained un-warmed.

The figure had a mission.

The figure would not fail.

The figure was ruthless, merciless, pitiless!

“Bwahahaha!”

The sleeping girl awoke with a loud scream as an evil, cackling maniac dressed in black and wearing a ski mask leapt on to her bed and attacked her in the middle of her peaceful dreams.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In the boys’ dorm across the way, one raven-haired hero heard screaming in his sleep.

He snorted and rolled over, blissfully undisturbed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione, now sitting up in bed, stared at her laughing attacker in shock. 

“Ginny!  What in the name of all that’s good do you think you’re doing?!”  The other girl, still laughing hysterically, merely keeled over and rolled off the bed, clutching her stomach with both hands as she curled up in a ball on the floor.

“Are you possessed?!

More laughing.  Harder laughing.

“Why are you wearing a ski mask?”

The laughing stopped.

Warm brown eyes blinked twice through wide slits cut in knitted black fabric.

“I have an extra…Wanna try it on?”

“…All right.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

How does she do it?  How?  Ron and Harry could never get me into this thing.  Heh, I’d probably excommunicate them both just for suggesting I wear it.  I, Hermione Granger, prefect, straight “A” student and candidate for the next Head Girl position, do not run around wearing ski masks…or black espionage outfits.  She paused as her feet brought her to a stairway.  Yet all Ginny does is ask…  I think she’s a bad influence on me.  She glanced to the left, around a corner, then to the right, and followed Ginny quickly up the stairs and past the first year dormitories where several students were still asleep.  She grimaced beneath her mask as she thought of what, exactly, they were doing, then pushed the nagging doubts out of her mind.  She had to be the voice of reason when she was with Harry and Ron.  Someone had to keep them from getting themselves killed every year.  But she wasn’t with Harry and Ron at the moment, she reasoned, so why couldn’t she have a little fun?

Most definitely a bad influence…

Besides, she thought to herself as the two girls continued cautiously up the stairs, she was awake now (no thanks to Ginny), and wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep at all, considering what day it was.  Not only that, but she hadn’t any new books to read.  She’d read all the ones she had at least four times, and Madam Pince was off on holiday this season (since when did Madam Pince take holidays?), so she couldn’t even get one from the library.  Clearly reading wasn’t going to keep her entertained this morning.  And neither would homework, as she’d finished all her holiday assignments four days ago, had even completed everything that had been pre-assigned for after the holidays, so she couldn’t even work on that.   She’d been so bored lately that she was going insane.  Really, what else was she supposed to do with her time, if not give in to Ginny’s evil plots?  If she was driven to such drastic measures as this, the teachers could blame no one but themselves for not assigning more work, as was good and proper, so that she wouldn’t have to find obscure and unorthodox ways of entertaining herself at five in the morning.

Yes, that was a good excuse.

But it didn’t really explain why she’d embellished the plot at all.

She shifted the weight of the bag in her hand and thought about the conversation she’d had ten minutes earlier, in the kitchen.

“Hello, Dobby”

“Good day, Miss!  Dobby is happy to see you, he is!  Dobby is always glad to see friends of Harry Potter!”

“Thank you, Dobby.  Here, I brought you something for Christmas.”

“Socks?  You is getting Dobby socks, Miss?  Socks are Dobby’s favorite clothes, Miss! You is very kind!” 

“Well, you’re welcome Dobby.  Listen, could you get something for me?  Two somethings, actually.”

“Oh of course, Miss, of course.  Dobby is getting you anything you is wanting.”

“And these…things…that I need, could they be wrapped?  Like a Christmas present?”

“Yes! Dobby can do that for you, Miss!  What is it Miss is wanting Dobby to get?” 

She told him.

His eyes got wide.

“What is you needing that for?”

“Well, it’s something of a joke you see.”

“A joke?  Harry Potter and his friends is playing a joke?”

“Well, no.  Harry doesn’t really know about it, you see.”

“Miss is doing something without Harry Potter and his Wheezy?  But Miss never does something without Harry Potter and his Wheezy!  They is her best friends!”  She laughed.

“Don’t worry, Dobby.  I’m not exactly doing this without involving Harry and Ron.  They just don’t know about it yet.”

“Oh.  Then if Miss will wait right here, Dobby will go and get what she is requiring.”

“Thank you, Dobby.”

Yes, definitely a bad influence.

Hermione came to the sudden realization that her feet had stopped moving.  Curious as to why, she glanced at her surroundings and found that she and her companion were standing outside a thick wooden door.  She caught Ginny’s eye as the other girl put one hand on the heavy barrier, and knew by the glint of humor she found there that her friend was grinning.  Somehow, despite herself and the nagging guilt she felt, she found her mouth quirking up in response.

After all, this super-secret-agent stuff was fun.

Especially when your mind provided you with your very own theme song.

“You take Ron, I’ll handle Harry.”

The theme song came to a grinding halt.

“What!” she hissed, but Ginny pushed the door open and crept inside before Hermione could say any more.  Hermione heaved a heavy sigh and crept in after the smaller girl, who was glancing around the room in a curious manner.  Hermione reached into the bag she carried and handed part of the contents to Ginny, then silently pointed to one of the beds, which she knew from her second and third years was Harry’s.  Ginny nodded her understanding and moved in that direction, leaving Hermione to stare at the closed hangings pulled around Ron’s bed.  Quietly, she tiptoed toward it and cautiously parted the curtains.  Once ascertaining that he was indeed fully clothed in, at least, a thin long-sleeved shirt, with the covers pulled up to his waist, she parted the curtains the rest of the way and reached for the presents already resting at the foot of the bed.  Scooping them all into her bag, she set a small, neatly wrapped package in their place (she’d had to wrap it herself after all; apparently wrapping Christmas presents wasn’t a house elf’s greatest strength) and stepped back.  She looked down at the sleeping boy before her, his hair all tousled and his limbs thrown recklessly across the bed, and smiled.

“Happy Christmas, Ron,” she snickered softly, feeling suddenly mischievous with the knowledge that she, Hermione Granger, was actually playing a prank on her two best friends.  They would be proud of her.  When they got over being angry. 

She pulled the hangings shut again and tiptoed silently out of the room; grinning all the way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione settled down in a chair by the brightly lit fireplace, content to be out of all that black clothing and back into her normal jeans and customary Weasley sweater (a dark gray this year, which she was surprised to find made her feel somehow warm and cozy; odd how a color could do something like that), with her new presents spread all over the table in front of her.  She smiled brightly as she examined them all, her finger trailing over each one as she decided which she would make use of first.  Finally, she just closed her eyes and picked one up.  So, Ron’s first then.  It was thick, and rectangular, and rather heavy. But then, they were nearly all like that to some extent.

Ah books.  How she had missed them.

She leaned back in her chair and began to read.

Ten pages and two pieces of Mrs. Weasley’s homemade fudge later, she heard a noise upstairs that sounded an awful lot like hyper sixteen-year-old boys waking up at six-thirty on Christmas morning, followed, oddly enough, by a long empty silence. 

Her smile turned smug and she went back to reading.

Ginny, sitting on a nearby couch, snickered quietly and continued messing with the life-like models of Ginny’s favorite Quidditch team, Puddlemere United (“each team comes with its own to scale Quidditch pitch!  Practice and play against your friends!  Available at a Quality Quidditch Supplies near you!”), which Hermione and Harry had bought her for Christmas (they’d bought a matching set of the Chudley Cannons for Ron); even as Hermione watched out of the corner of her eye, she prodded one of the Chasers just a little too hard with her wand and he over shot his goal, much to the mixed anger and amusement of his teammates.  Ginny pouted.  Hermione couldn’t help but laugh.  Ginny stuck out her tongue.  Hermione rolled her eyes.  Ginny-

Was interrupted by the sound of four heavy feet pounding their way to the common room in the boys’ stairwell.  Ginny and Hermione hid matching grins and went back to their individual pastimes.

“Ginny!”  Ron’s accusatory bellow rang loudly in the relative quiet of the common room.  Ginny looked up, a well-feigned look of joy and excitement covering the amusement on her face.

“Happy Christmas, Harry!  Happy Christmas, Ron!” she exclaimed, jumping up first to greet Harry, and then to give Ron her customary hug and a sisterly kiss on the cheek.  He seemed flustered for a moment as he returned her affection in kind, swallowing his small sister in his long arms and warm smile. 

“How was your morning?” she asked sweetly as she pulled away, bright, wide eyes looking back and forth between them. “Get anything good?”  Hermione sighed.  That was the wrong thing to say if she wanted to throw the boys off their trail.  She turned her eyes from Ginny to Harry, and then to Ron, whom she had been avoiding looking at, for the obvious reason that she could never seem to stop once she had begun.  Sure enough, both boys had narrowed their eyes at her in uneasy suspicion, and Ron was frowning down at Ginny in outright anger. 

He knows her, she thought, entirely too well for our own good.  And she, she continued, her own eyes narrowing at the youngest Weasley, should not be so ready to be caught.  She shook her head.  And she’s supposed to be so good at this sort of thing.  The innocent act never works!  Not that Hermione had ever tried it, mind, but she’d seen others try, and fail, once too often.  Innocence only made victims, er… people, more suspicious.

“This was all your idea, wasn’t it?” Ron asked her, holding up the package Hermione had left on his bed earlier that morning.  Ginny looked up at the half-opened package of coal hanging from her brother’s fist and cocked her head.  Hermione sighed and fought the urge to shake her head in disappointment.  Gin was going to up and confess already

“Actually, I only suggested we steal your presents.  Giving you coal in their place was all Hermione.”  Hermione sighed mentally.  Well there it was.  At least their reaction was rather amusing.  Two pairs of eyes, one deep blue, the other startling green, swung around to look at Hermione sitting oh-so-calmly in her chair by the fire; two expressions portrayed shock and dismay mixed with disbelief as aforementioned eyes widened considerably on her figure.  Hermione kept her expression carefully, almost believably, blank as she marked her page with a ribbon and placed her book in her lap. 

“You, Hermione?”  Ron’s voice was soft and wounded, as if he’d suffered a mortal blow, but still tinged with strong disbelief.  She looked up at him, with his flannel pajama pants and thick sweatshirt, his wildly uncombed hair and his injured expression, and she laughed softly.  Harry narrowed his eyes at her.

“Why would you steal our presents, Hermione?” he asked softly, sounding a bit hurt himself.

“Technically I didn’t, Harry.”

“You didn’t?” Now he sounded relieved.  She shook her head.

“No.  Technically, I only stole Ron’s presents.  Ginny stole yours.”  Harry looked aggrieved and she smiled sweetly up at him.  Ron just shook his head.

“It can’t have been her, Harry.  This is Hermione we’re talking about.  She doesn’t pull pranks; she studies!” 

Hermione stared at him.

“Ron, I finished all my schoolwork last week.  I’ve studied everything we’re supposed to learn this term twice already.  And I’m not exactly slow, you know; just how much studying do you think I need?  Speaking of, have you begun yet?  You really should you know, that section entitled From Footstool to Fetch in our Transfiguration text was exceptional.  Turning footstools into fox terriers, absolutely brilliant, really.”

“Hermione, you must be joking.”

“What?”

“It’s Christmas.”

“So?  Christmas doesn’t keep homework from being due at the end of the holidays, after all, and I very much doubt that the two of you have finished.”  She paused and glanced back and forth between them anxiously.  “You have at least begun haven’t you? … Haven’t you?”  The two exchanged slightly guilty, but mostly disbelieving, looks.

Of course not.  She found herself sinking back into her chair in defeat.

“All right, fine.  Just don’t expect to copy my answers at the last minute.”

“All right, we’ll copy Dean’s.”

“Harry!”

“What if Dean is planning to copy yours?” asked Ginny curiously. “That would put a nasty dent in your plans.”

“Nah,” said Ron, “The three of us will just copy Seamus’s.”  Hermione stared wide-eyed at her best friends.

“At this rate, the two of you won’t know a thing by the time you graduate,” she sniffed.

“That may be true,” muttered Ron, “but we’ll have loads of fun between now and then.”

“I know how to have fun every once in a while,” Hermione replied softly, shooting Ginny a sly glance and a secretive grin.  She snickered in response and Harry narrowed his eyes at her. 

“Presents,” he demanded. “Now.”

“Awfully demanding, isn’t he?” Ginny asked, referring to Harry but looking at Hermione and cocking her head inquisitively. 

“He usually is.  No patience, that one.  As bad as Ron, really.”

“And just what is that supposed to mean?” growled Ron, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Yeah, just what is that supposed to mean?” echoed Harry, copying his friend’s stance.  They were pouting and bore a remarkable resemblance to a pair of two year olds.  Ginny and Hermione looked at each other and burst into uncontrollable laughter. 

Ron blinked.  “I don’t get it.”

“Me neither,” Harry agreed.

“Where do you reckon she’s put our presents?”

“Who, Ginny?  Dunno.  Maybe we should look around a little, see if we can’t find them.” 

Ron nodded his consent and began checking under the Christmas tree and all the tables in the room, while Harry started tossing all the cushions off the couches and onto the floor.  By this time, the two girls had calmed down a little and, wiping tears from her eyes, Ginny asked:

“Harry, darling, what are you doing?”  He froze, one cushion held high over his head, both hands occupied in the process of throwing it over his shoulder, and wide green eyes focused on his girlfriend. 

“Looking for our presents?” 

Hermione stared at him.  “Under the couch cushions?” she cried, and the two girls started up again.

“Well where else are we supposed to look?” asked Harry, scowling.  “It’s not like there’s a whole lot of places you could have hidden them in here.” 

“But under the couch cushions?” Hermione laughed, and Ginny laughed harder, bending over and clutching her stomach in an effort to ease her poor abused abdominal muscles.  Of course, the look on her face, and the fact that she was about to fall over, only made Hermione laugh harder, so then Ginny really did fall, and Hermione had to bury her face in her knees to keep from rolling out of her chair.

“Okay, that’s ENOUGH!” shouted Ron, and all laughter came to an abrupt stop.  Both girls blinked at him with wide, half-frightened, half-amused eyes.  Ron really was kind of scary when he got angry like this.  Ever since he’d had that last growth spurt and started towering over everyone like he did…

Ron took a deep breath.

“Now. Ginny. It’s Christmas.  Where are my presents?”

“Really, Ron, Hermione-”

“Stop blaming her for this, Ginny.  I’ve known you all your life; I know your work when I see it.”

“Oh, Ron,” Hermione said softly, with a little smile. “You really are thick sometimes.” 

Ron frowned at her.  “What?”

“You open Christmas presents from me every year, and birthday presents too; you’d think you’d be able to tell just by looking whether or not I’ve wrapped a gift.” 

Ron looked a little confused, but Harry lifted his lump of coal and examined the undamaged portion of wrapping paper surrounding the bottom half.  “It does look an awful lot like her work, Ron.  If I had to guess, I’d say she was guilty.”

“But Hermione?  This is so unlike her,” Ron protested.

Hermione pretended they weren’t talking about her as if she weren’t there, and watched Ron gently prod the remaining paper on his own coal.  He sighed.

“Still, it does look like Hermione’s wrapping, doesn’t it?”  He turned accusatory blue eyes to her.  “Well?  What have you got to say for yourself?”  Hermione smiled serenely up at him. 

“Happy Christmas, Ron, Harry,” and she went back to reading her book.  There was silence for about five seconds, and then Ron came storming over to her.  He snatched the book right out of her hands and knelt down to look her straight in the eye.

“You will not read the book I got you for Christmas while holding my presents hostage and pretending that you’re not.  I want my presents.  It’s Christmas!” She looked at him, this adorable, whiny little boy disguised as a young man and felt her heart melt down to her toes.  She sighed.

Darn those big blue eyes. 

“Gin,” she called over her shoulder, “give the boy what he wants.”

“Yes,” agreed Harry, “before we start to cry.”

“Oh-ho,” laughed Ginny, running a pacifying hand through Harry’s wild hair and pulling a mockingly tragic face, “so sad!” She grinned up at him.  “Come little boys, let’s go get your presents now!”  Hermione grabbed Ron’s sleeve before he could get too far. 

“Ron, my book, if you please.”

“No, Hermione, I do not please.  You have several others on the table there; you can read one of those for now.  You won’t miss this one if I keep it as collateral until my own gifts are returned.” 

Hermione smiled up at him winningly.  “Take one of the others as collateral.  I’ve already started reading this one, and I’d like to finish it, if you don’t mind.”  He looked at her for a long moment, then sighed in frustration and handed her book back, exchanging it for one on the table.  Shaking his head, he stalked after Ginny and Harry, and Hermione grinned.  All in all, she was fairly happy with herself.  She snickered quietly and started counting. 

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

“We have to what?!”  Ginny and Hermione both laughed, and Hermione set her book down on her chair as she got up, hiding it under her blanket so that Ron couldn’t steal it again.   

“It’s not so bad,” she heard Ginny say as she crossed the room to where the three of them stood.  “I promise it’ll be worth your while.”

“I don’t care if it’s worth my while, Ginny,” Ron told her angrily, “I just want to open my presents.”  Hermione, forgetting just how much physical contact with him affected her, put a restraining hand on his arm.  He turned to look down at her and she quickly realized her mistake.  Standing this way put her waaaaaay too close to him.  Way too close.  She was suddenly aware of the heat she felt emanating from his body, the distinct rustling sound of his clothes as he shifted, even the flecks of sky blue amongst the sapphire in his eyes, which were suddenly very apparent to her, and her breath caught as she wondered why she’d never noticed them there before.  She felt the tension in the muscles under her hand suddenly increase, and noticed the slight frown on his face when those wonderful eyes glared down at her.  Softly, she reached up with her free hand and ran her thumb over the space between his eyebrows. 

“Don’t frown,” she murmured, “it’ll give you wrinkles.”  He made a strangled sound deep in his throat, and his eyes widened considerably.  Suddenly a thick white card was thrust between them.

“Here’s yours, Ron!” Ginny chirped happily.  “Now remember you two, all you have to do is follow those instructions and you’ll find your presents just fine.  Bye!”  And she dragged Hermione out the door by her wrist. 

Ron shook himself and looked down at the two lines written on his card.

Small as a chocolate frog, tall as a tree; Look where you’ll see a star, there you’ll find me.

He groaned.

Ginny…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

Present Prank (Part 2) by DoraeAzure
Chapter Three: Present Prank (Part 2)

Chapter Three: Present Prank (Part 2)

�I saw that.�

�What?�

�That look.� Between you and my brother.� I saw it.�

�Oh.�

Pause.

�You fancy him! You fancy him!� Hmm-hmm, you fancy him!� Ginny sang, skipping down the hall ahead of her friend.� Hermione rolled her eyes.

�What are you, two?�� They were walking down to the kitchens, having decided that it was mean to steal a person (or two)�s presents on Christmas morning if you didn�t plan to at least try to make up for it by delivering a specially made breakfast-in-the-common-room (seeing as how the boys were already up and all, so breakfast-in-bed wasn�t possible.� Besides, the girls weren�t allowed in the boy�s dorm anyway�heh heh heh).� The scavenger hunt Ron and Harry were on at the moment was merely to buy Ginny and Hermione some time while they got everything ready.�

�Fifteen, actually,� Ginny replied tartly, then grinned. �You do fancy him.�� Hermione just gave her a look and continued on down the hall.

�Why won�t you just say it?�

�What, that I fancy Ron?�

�Yes!�

�It would give you too much pleasure.��

Ginny was speechless for a whole of two seconds.� �Then you admit that you do?�

�Did I say that?�

�You implied it!��

�Funny, I hadn�t realized that implying something and saying it was the same thing.�

�You are the most frustrating person I�ve ever met.�

�What about Moaning Myrtle?�

�Does she count as a person?� I mean, I know she�s pretty much just the same now as she was before she died, but technically she�s a ghost.� Do ghosts count as people?�� They came to a stop in front of the painting of a bowl of fruit, and Hermione absently tickled the pear.

�I�m not sure actually,� she told Ginny thoughtfully.� �I don�t think so.��

�Welcome, Misses!� exclaimed a familiar voice as they stepped through the door.�

�Hello, Dobby,� Ginny said with a smile.

�Dobby has everything ready, just as Miss is asking,� he told them, motioning them to follow as he walked across the room, chattering away almost as if he were talking to himself.� �In the kitchen, nobody minds if Dobby makes something different at breakfast time.� They is too busy with Christmas dinner, they is, to mind what Dobby does.� So Dobby is making what the Misses ask.� He is a good house elf.� He stopped before a tall counter and motioned towards it with one hand.� �They is sitting on those trays, they is.� Dobby put them there himself.��

�Thank you, Dobby,� Hermione smiled down at the bowing house elf as she reached for the tray with Ron�s name written across the front of a little white card resting against the mug in one corner.� She stopped herself just short of picking it up, and knelt down in front of Dobby instead.�

�I�m sorry about this, Dobby,� she told him, �but can I ask one more favor?��

�Of course, Miss!� What can Dobby do?�

�Can I get a candy cane, please?� Do you have one around here somewhere?�� He retrieved one for her, and after several more bows from Dobby, and another thank you or two from Ginny and Hermione, the girls set off back to the common room, trays in hand.

�A candy cane?� For breakfast?��

Hermione just smiled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The common room was a mess of, well, many things by the time they got back.� After much careful maneuvering and three near-accidents, the two girls managed to get both the trays and themselves through the portrait hole with relatively little damage to any of the aforementioned objects/people.� They got no further into the room however, as they were frozen in place by the horror of the sight that met their eyes.�

Wrapping paper and ribbon were everywhere, several of the pine garlands seemed to have �fallen� off the walls, tinsel and broken ornaments littered the floor around the tree, and all of the furniture was disarrayed, some of it even pushed over backwards or resting on its side, and all of the couch cushions were still on the floor.

�You know, we�re the ones who�ll have to clean all this up,� Ginny sighed.

�D�j� vu,� muttered Hermione.� �At least I�ll have company this time.�

�What?�

�Never mind.�� She shook her head and turned to watch Ron set up the Quidditch pitch for his Chudley Cannons team.� He was grinning from ear to ear and humming to himself as he set each goal carefully in place.� She smiled at his childlike enjoyment of his new toys and tossed a look at Harry, who seemed equally happy digging through his box of Famous Quidditch Seekers of the Century, which Ginny had bought for him.� He pulled one wriggling figure out with a shout of surprise.

�Hey! Even Krum is in here!�� Ron looked up with a feigned air of surprise.

�Really?� Let me see that.�

�Oh, no you don�t.� You�re not going to take your irritation with the real thing out on my action figure.�

�But Harry-� Ron protested.� Hermione gave Ginny a look.

Should we break this up?

�No Ron,� Harry replied.�

Ginny returned Hermione�s glance.� More than likely, yes.

�Harry-�

�We�re back!� Ginny called out brightly.� Both boys looked up with a disagreeable frown, but froze when they saw the trays of food.

�Breakfast!� cried Ron, jumping up to relieve Hermione of her burden.� She surrendered it to him and moved to clear one of the tables for him to set it on, then retrieved a chair from the floor for him as well.

�This isn�t the sort of thing they normally serve for breakfast on Christmas,� Ron said frowning down at his butter, syrup and strawberry covered waffles, accompanied by eggs and sausage.� �Normally they just give us toast because they�re too focused on Christmas dinner to make anything else.�

�We told you it would be worth your while, didn�t we?�

�You made this?� Ron squinted up at his sister, looking suddenly suspicious.� Hermione sighed.

�No.� We had Dobby do it.� She sounded regretful and disgusted all at once, and Ron rolled his eyes.� Though she never mentioned it, he knew she hadn�t given up on the whole SPEW idea.� She was just biding her time, waiting for the opportune moment to bring it up again�� In the meantime, she was always exceptionally polite to the house elves, so much so it was almost sickening.

�You brought us breakfast to make up for stealing our presents and you didn�t even make it yourselves?�� Harry was amused.

�We tried to do it ourselves,� Ginny said sorrowfully as the boys began to eat, �but the house elves got so upset about it, we had to give it up.� So we asked Dobby instead.�

�Was that before or after you asked him for the coal?� Harry asked wryly.

�Hey!� How�d you figure that out?� Ginny cried.

�After,� Hermione answered.

�Hey, a candy cane!� exclaimed Ron.� �My favorite!�� He happily plucked it off the tray and began to unwrap it.

�Oh yeah, I�d forgotten about that,� Hermione mused, then lunged forward to snatch the candy out of Ron�s hand just inches before it reached his mouth.� �No!� she told him. �You can�t eat that yet.�

�Why not?� That�s what it�s for isn�t it?�

�Not quite.� Here.� Eat your waffles and I�ll show you what it�s for.�� He obligingly took a bite, still pouting, while Hermione poured a cup of hot chocolate from the little pot on his tray.� Pulling the wrapper completely off the peppermint candy, she put the straight end in the mug and let the crook hang over the edge.

�What are you doing?!� Ron cried, reaching to rescue his beloved candy from certain doom at the hands of the heated chocolate drink.� Hermione calmly slapped his hand away.

�Ow!� He glared up at her, rubbing his injured hand with his uninjured one. �What was that for?�

�Leave the candy cane alone, Ron.�

�But it�ll melt in there!�

�That�s the point.�

�What?��

Hermione sighed.� �Trust me, Ron.� Just leave it alone.� Now eat your breakfast.�� She pretended not to see the faces he pulled as she stood up and began to straighten the room.� Ginny quickly rose to help her, and soon the furniture, at least, was back in place, and all the wrapping paper and ribbons had been disposed of.

�The two of you sure made a big enough mess,� muttered Ginny.� Harry grinned maliciously.

�We did it just to spite you,� he told her happily, taking a bite of egg.

�I know,� she replied with a sigh, �and I suppose we deserved it.�

�Speak for yourself,� said Hermione sourly. �I would never have gotten involved if you hadn�t attacked me this morning.�

�Attacking you had nothing to do with any of this,� she waved her hand around to indicate the still messy common room.

�It did.� Hermione picked up some tinsel. �If you hadn�t attacked me, I wouldn�t have woken up, and if I hadn�t woken up, I would never have been tempted to help you.�� She threw the tinsel in a trash bin they had found somewhere.

�You know, it wasn�t like you protested when I offered to let you in on it,� Ginny replied hotly.

�Well,� Hermione told her thoughtfully, �it was a good idea.� But it was so unpolished.� I felt I couldn�t allow you�Ron, leave that candy cane alone�to take credit for such rough work when I could have prevented it.�

�It was a good idea, wasn�t it?�

�It was.� I especially liked the theme song.�

�Theme song?�� Ginny gave her a funny look.� Hermione just smiled innocently back, and magicked the closest pine garland back onto the wall.� Ginny shook her head and turned to clean up the mess under the tree.� Then she really stopped to look at it for a second, and groaned.

�Was it really necessary for the two of you to knock half the ornaments off?� she grumbled and bent to examine the glass shards on the rug.

�The ornaments are Ron�s fault,� Harry replied absently, cutting his waffles into bite-sized pieces.

�Ron��

�You shouldn�t have put my second clue at the top of that stupid eight foot tree,� he interrupted her, scowling down at the Chaser he was trying to animate in between bites.� �Hermione, if I can�t have the candy cane, can you at least move it someplace where I can�t see it, please?� It�s calling to me.�

�Oh Ron, it is not.�� She moved to his side and gently stirred his chocolate with the candy cane, then tapped what was left of the candy thrice against the rim of the mug and set it down.� �You can drink it now,� she told him, �but don�t eat the candy cane until after you�ve finished your chocolate.�� He scowled up at her and lifted the mug, clearly intending to drink it all in two gulps just so he could eat his favorite holiday treat.� He got as far as half of the first gulp before his eyes widened and he slowed down to savor his drink.�

�Mmmm,� he sighed happily, taking little sips and wiggling his big feet under the table in pleasure.� �Tastes like hot chocolate and candy canes.� My two favorites!�

�I tried to tell you,� Hermione told him, �but no; you can�t just trust me.��

Ron looked up at her with serious eyes.� �I trust you, �Mione,� he told her softly, �I�m just impatient.�� He flashed her a grin, and went back to focusing all his attention on his new love: candy cane flavored hot chocolate.� Hermione, meanwhile, tried to pretend that the rare nickname and the complete seriousness of his words didn�t affect her, and failed miserably.� She nearly ran to help Ginny finish cleaning before anyone could notice her blushing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~� �

Dinner was spectacular.� The Great Hall looked amazing, with the usual twelve Christmas trees, fully covered in all sorts of magical decorations, ringing the perimeter and red and green table cloths and napkins on the one long table.� Ham was served, with mashed potatoes and thick gravy and all kinds of greens and four different kinds of juice and so many sweets the teenagers lost count.� They came back from dinner full and happy, though there was so much extra food that they all filled their pockets with some of the leftovers, and Ginny even filched a pitcher of pumpkin juice and some goblets before they left the Hall.� Unfortunately, she dropped it almost as soon they reached the common room.� She had turned around to say something or other to Hermione, who was just climbing through the portrait hole after Ron, and it had slipped out of her hands, spilling juice and glass shards across a wide section of stone floor and trapping Ron and Hermione just inside the entrance.� When nobody moved to clean the mess, Hermione sighed and pulled her wand from her pocket.� Two waves, a scourgify and a reparo later, the juice was gone and Hermione was bending down to retrieve the flawless pitcher.

�There,� she said, offering the pitcher back to Ginny, �no harm done.�� But Ginny didn�t seem to hear her.� In fact, she wasn�t even looking at her, rather, she was staring at a something behind and slightly above her, with the barest hint of a sly smile on her lips.� Hermione frowned and followed her gaze up and over to a bundle of green tied with red ribbon dangling from the ceiling above Ron�s head.� Her eyes widened.� Ginny grinned.

�What?� Ron asked, confused by the sly look Harry was giving him.

�Mistletoe,� Hermione told him softly.

�What?� he glanced up and froze.� �Oh.�� A couple of the first years who had been the only other occupants of Gryffindor tower over the break looked up from their game of exploding snap and grinned.

�Hey! You two are standing under the mistletoe!� cried one girl.

�I told you that was the perfect place for that sprig, William!� cried the other excitedly to another of their companions.� �And you wanted to move it over by the stairs after your sister put it up.�� There was unmistakable disgust in her voice.

Hermione glanced over at Ginny, who was looking at her expectantly, then back at Ron, who was still mesmerized by the plant hanging above him.� Ginny had planned this; she just knew it.

I can�t kiss him! She panicked, her thoughts flashing through her head in microseconds, and her wildly beating heart dropped heavily into her stomach.� He doesn�t fancy me at all; surely he doesn�t want his best friend kissing him.� Then again, maybe he wouldn�t mind; it is tradition... Her heart turned over in her stomach again, and she quit rationalizing.� But even if he doesn�t, I still can�t kiss him!� I can�t!� He�s Ron!� He�s my best friend!� My best friend whom I think I�m in love with; I can�t kiss him!� There�s no way I can kiss him!� I can�t even touch him without melting into a puddle on the floor!�

Still�

I can�t leave him standing there�

He�d been there all of two seconds.

She took a hesitant step towards him, and those gorgeous blue eyes jerked down to focus on her, wide in anxious anticipation, shock, and�something else?� At least she knew he was just as uncomfortable as she was.� Somehow that made things easier.�

She closed the small gap between them, placed one hand on his broad shoulder for balance, and then she was rising, up, and up, and up on her toes and she wondered briefly why he seemed so much taller than he ever had before, and then he was bending forward to meet her and her free hand was on his face, softly turning it just so, and her lips were on his cheek, and then it was over, and they were both turning a little red.�

That wasn�t so bad�

�I�m not sure that was good enough.�

Scratch that.

�What?�� Ron sounded outraged, and Harry tried to hold back a laugh.� Ginny wasn�t so polite.

Hermione, for her part, wasn�t sure whether to feel relieved by Ron�s reaction because she wouldn�t have to embarrass herself in front of her friends by sharing her first real kiss with him so publicly, or hurt because he didn�t want to kiss her.� She snuck a glance at him.� He was glaring at his very smug sister, but she caught him sneaking a glance at her too, out of the corner of his eye, and his face grew steadily brighter after that.� She grinned.

Relieved then.�

Now that Ron�s reaction was taken care of, Hermione felt at ease to deal with the situation. So she rolled her eyes.

�Come on Ron,� she told him, grabbing his wrist, �let�s go play with your Chudley Cannons Quidditch set.��

When in doubt, run.�

Ron lifted a skeptical eyebrow in response as she dragged him across the room.� �You want to play Quidditch?�

��Only because I want you to get good enough at the spells that you can beat Ginny�s Puddlemere team.� I want her to suffer.�

�Laughter filled the common room.

�This was an excellent Christmas.

�~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

�Psst, Hermione.��

Hermione rolled her eyes.� �No Ginny,� she said absently, snuggling further down in her blanket on the couch and turning a page in the book she was reading.

�Oh, come on Hermione��

�Absolutely not.� You�re a bad influence on me, even Ron says so.�� Said red-head flashed her a grin from the chair kitty corner to her sofa, where he was currently demolishing Harry in yet another game of Wizard�s Chess (their third or fourth of the day; Harry kept insisting Ron�s winning streak of six years had to be a fluke).

�But Hermione!� What about girl time?� You�ve been hanging out with Ron and Harry all day!� said the voice at her elbow.

�So have you,� Hermione told her. �It�s Christmas, we always spend the day together.� Besides,� she added, finally looking up from her book, �I�ve spent enough time with you recently to realize I�m much better off without girl time after all.� I�m going back to hanging out with boys.� They�re much easier to deal with, and don�t get me into nearly so much trouble.�� Snickering was heard from the general vicinity of the chessboard.

�Trouble?�

�Yes trouble.� First there was the fight by the fireplace, then there was the snowball fight on Girls� Day, followed by the charms fight in the corridors, and then the tickling fight all over the common room.� And now you�ve got me pulling pranks on my best friends.� At this rate we�ll be moving on to teachers by next week, and I�m not so sure I�m ready to face the kind of consequences that would bring.� I think we need to go back to the way things were before.�

�Before?�� Ginny�s voice was small and forlorn.

�Yes before,� Hermione replied, turning back to her book.�

There was silence.

�So�I�ll see you next month.�

��Yes.��

Ginny grinned sneakily and crept back around the back of the couch the way she had come.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quidditch Quest by DoraeAzure
Author's Notes:
Super Important Note!!!: The theme song in this fic is vaguely related to (meaning entirely based upon) the tune of that age-old classic, the Darkwing Duck theme song (which I also do not own), so yeah. You’ll want to know that later.
Chapter Four: Quidditch Quest

Hermione slid cautiously between two narrow rows of wooden benches, eyes glued to her feet in an effort not to trip. She came to a spot that seemed satisfactory, sent a glance up at the sky to make sure she’d have an unimpeded view, and gingerly settled herself on the hard, cold bench. She shifted uncomfortably for several minutes until her seat warmed up beneath her, then, pulling her thick winter cloak close about her shoulders, she turned her attention to her surroundings.

The air about the Quidditch pitch, as yet, was empty except for the flapping Gryffindor and Slytherin banners above the goal posts at either end. The stands, however, were growing steadily noisier as students filtered in from breakfast, most of them in groups of threes and fours. Frowning lightly, Hermione turned her attention back to the sky. It was a beautiful January day, if a bit too cold for her liking, and she didn’t really want to think about the fact that she was here by herself. She deserved nothing less, she supposed, for making the three most Quidditch-obsessed people in her house her closest friends. But really, how was she supposed to have known when she met those two scrawny little boys that she was really looking at two of the greatest Quidditch players Hogwarts would see for the next seven years, and that if she didn’t want to live a life of loneliness she should avoid them at all costs?

And then there was Ginny. She’d thought she was safe with Ginny. Let the boys run off and play on broomsticks if they wanted; she still had a friend to sit with. But no, she went and tried out for Seeker last year, after Hermione had already had to give up Ron as her bench partner, and then again for Chaser this year, so that all three of her best friends were now in the air instead of in the stands with her.

Normally, she would have sat with Colin in their stead, as they had become good friends last year when Ginny (their mutual friend) decided to join the team, but his Quidditch photos had become so popular as game mementos that he’d gotten special permission from Dumbledore to sit in the commentator’s box from now on in the hopes that he could get better shots for those of the student body willing to pay. It was well-known, after all, that Dumbledore himself was one of Colin’s best customers. Hermione had been known to help him develop the pictures, as there were so many of them, on more than one occasion, and she usually got copies of the shots she liked for her efforts, so she was glad her friend had been promoted to a better photography position, but that didn’t help her at the moment. She sighed. She hated sitting alone; it made her feel foolish.

Footsteps coming down her row drew her attention from her thoughts and her eyes from the sky.

–Hey Hermione, I was hoping I’d find you before the stands filled up.” Parvati sat down beside her and gave her a cheerful smile. –How long have you been out here?”

–About ten minutes. I wanted to make sure I got a good seat.”

–Good seat?” Parvati examined their position and grinned. –Close proximity to the Gryffindor goal posts, and thus its Keeper, and an unimpeded view of the rest of the field so you can pretend to watch the entire game instead of just the parts involving a certain male Weasley. I see how you consider this a good seat.” Hermione shot her a half-playful glare. There really was no point in denying it anymore, but that didn’t mean she had to take this kind of abuse either.

–What are you doing here anyway?” Hermione asked. –Shouldn’t you be sitting with Lavender and Seamus?” That was normally where Parvati sat, usually surrounded by a large group of giggly girl Quidditch fans (after a moment’s brief consideration, she supposed she really ought to qualify that statement. It should have been: a large group of giggly girl Quidditch fans absolutely fawning over all the male players and squealing at every turn of a broomstick for the entirety of a game. It was sickening really, especially as the two players who got the most attention were her two best friends. Her two best friends, one of whom had a girlfriend, and one of whom…well). It was odd that Parvati should leave said fan club to join Hermione, the Quidditch-watching hermit, who hated fawning. In public, anyway.

–Under normal circumstances, yes, but I knew you’d be sitting alone now that Colin’s moved up in the world,” she replied, tossing her head in the direction of the raised commentator’s box. –Besides, I really would like to watch one game, just one game, without fifty girls telling me how lucky I am to be dating one of ‘those totally hot Beaters’. Really, I don’t mind if they want to admire Jack, I rather think he’s handsome myself, but in the middle of a game, all I really want to concentrate on is the game itself. Despite what some may think, I really am a huge sports fan, and it doesn’t hurt my concentration that one of the Beaters is my boyfriend. Being told how amazing he is while I’m trying to watch him play does.”

Hermione chuckled lightly and turned her eyes to the Gryffindor stadium entrance, hoping for an early glimpse of Ron. Or Harry and Ginny; that’d be alright too. But she knew what Parvati meant. She too had come to love Quidditch, though she would never admit it to Ron, and she would insist to anyone who noticed her devotion during games and happened to ask about it that it was ‘entirely against her will and completely in self-defense.’ What else could she do, surrounded by Quidditch maniacs twenty-four seven? She’d never have a decent conversation with any of them if she didn’t know the game and like it, at least a little.

–How odd,” Parvati murmured beside her. –You and I are rarely in similar situations where our love lives are concerned, but we are very much in the same boat today, aren’t we?” Hermione shot her a questioning glance. Parvati’s eyes too, she saw, were glued to the Gryffindor entrance, and she continued without returning her friend’s gaze. –We’ve been left alone to fend for ourselves while our men run off to play with the boys.”

Hermione smiled and returned her gaze to its previous focus. –I doubt Ginny and Katie would appreciate that very much.”

Parvati just laughed. –Well I won’t repeat it for them, will I?”

There was a prolonged silence, and Hermione sank back into her thoughts. It was three weeks since the start of second term, and the first Gryffindor Quidditch match of the New Year. Unfortunately it was the Slytherins’ first match of the New Year as well, and the tension between the two houses had been brutal these last few weeks. Hermione was a little nervous. Matches against Slytherin were never clean, but this one was bound to be far nastier than most, as Gryffindor and Slytherin were tied behind Ravenclaw for the chance to compete in the finals for the cup. She really hoped all her friends made it through this match alive.

Just then a voice exploded to life with the sound of a cleared throat that echoed and re-echoed across the pitch.

–Ahem. Hmm.” There was a tapping sound then, –Sorry-Whoah! I guess this is working then. Bit loud, isn’t it? All right then, welcome to the first Quidditch match of the New Year! Today’s match, as I’m sure you’re all aware, is Gryffindor vs. Slytherin.” Here the voice paused to let the roaring crowd settle down, and Hermione smiled. When Lee Jordan graduated the year before, Dean Thomas had overtaken his position as commentator for all the Quidditch matches, but he was still adjusting to the equipment and the protocol. At the last game, he’d talked right through this customary excitement, and the whole school had missed the beginning introductions. –And here are our teams! First are the Gryffindors! That’s Potter, Bell, Weasley, Creevey, Sloper, Kirke, and Weasley. With their six year running record of undeniable—”

Hermione tuned out the rest of Dean’s speech and leaned over to Parvati. She gasped sharply, and Parvati jerked around to look at her with wide, startled eyes. But Hermione wasn’t looking at her, instead she was focusing solely on the players walking towards the center of the pitch, broomsticks slung confidently over their left shoulders and scarlet robes billowing behind them. She pointed shakily to one of the boys carrying Beater bats, specifically the tall, blue-eyed brunette.

–Take a look at that guy!” she whispered in assumed awe. –What’s his name, Jack? Jack Sloper? He’s amazing! Hey! Isn’t he your boyfriend? You are so lucky to be dating one of those totally hot Beaters!” She fluttered her eyelashes and pretended to swoon, clinging tightly to Parvati’s arm to keep from falling over backwards with her exaggerated movements. Parvati glared and turned back to the pitch.

–I hate you,” she stated stoically, shoulders slumping. Hermione laughed.

–-erins! Malfoy, Warrington, Montague, Pucey, Crabbe, Goyle, and Bletchley. As always, Captain Draco Malfoy seems to be holding to the Slytherin tradition of size over skill in today’s line-up,” he ignored the boos and angry calls that erupted from the two hundred or so students in Slytherin green across the field as he continued rather reluctantly, –though admittedly the abilities of his players have drastically improved since the start of first term. And there’s Madam Hooch.” Sure enough, the hawk-eyed woman was making her way across the field to stand between and slightly behind the two captains. Her voice could just barely be made out across the pitch, despite the suspenseful silence that had swept through the stands.

–Captains shake hands!” Harry and Malfoy shook, and appeared to be trying to strangle one another’s fingers as the more-than-firm handshake went on far longer than necessary. Finally they broke apart, both refusing to flex the offended appendages, though Hermione was sure neither was immune to the pain of their contest.

–Mount your brooms!” Hooch called out sharply, and fourteen legs swung out over fourteen brooms as she began the countdown –Three…Two…One…” Her whistle, as always, was lost to the roar of the crowd as all seven players on either team pushed firmly off the ground and rose into the air, Harry and Malfoy rising faster and higher than all the others. Hermione’s eyes quickly found Ron as he left the half circle of his teammates and flew once, twice around the goal posts before settling into his customary place directly in front of them and began the usual mid-air warm up –pacing.”

Madam Hooch, meanwhile, had carried a large wooden crate to the center of the pitch, and was now setting it down. Tapping the lock twice with her wand, she took a step back and kicked it open with one pointed boot. Two Bludgers and the Golden Snitch came shooting out and made a swift loop around the pitch. Madam Hooch grabbed the Quaffle under one arm, mounted, and took flight, throwing the red ball up dead center between all six Chasers to start the game, just as the two Bludgers circled back to make a mess of things. Katie grabbed the Quaffle from mid-air as Dean yelled to the audience–

–They’re off!” And so began a dizzying half hour of confused action in which the Seekers were practically useless and the Chasers fought an all-out war. It was a dizzying battle, and Hermione couldn’t help but think how much the Gryffindor team had improved. The first half of the year had been rough on them, as Harry had pretty much had to rebuild the entire team himself. Katie was the only Chaser still remaining from the previous year, so even after she’d finished training Ginny and Dennis in all the plays and tactics that Gryffindor Chasers were famous for, the three of them had still had to learn to work together and instinctively predict one another’s moves. The two Beaters were so green the year before that it was only this year that they’d finally settled into their position, and even then, Harry had needed to work with them one-on-two just to get them up to par. And even the Captain himself, despite his natural talent, had needed more than the usual amount of exercise to catch up with the other house Seekers after his unwanted vacation during fifth year. Poor Harry had been forced to call practice left, right and center, regardless of time or condition, and many was the day she’d come into breakfast at seven sharp, as was her custom, only to find the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team wilted and muddy in front of their plates after a two-hour practice. But the extra work really showed; the Gryffindor team had finally pulled together, and they were as good as they ever were when Wood was Captain.

Hermione smiled and sent a fond look towards the raven-haired Seeker, who was currently circling the pitch. Ever since Dumbledore had re-placed him on the team, he’d gone after the Snitch with a vengeance, almost as if he thought he needed to make up for the year he’d been denied the feel of it in his hand. In a way, she knew that was part of it; Harry almost felt he needed to prove himself all over again. But it was also partially the fierce joy he found in flying, the feel of the wind in his hair, the adrenaline pounding through his veins, the speed of the chase; he needed it and he loved it, and last year had only proven to him just how much.

Her smile faded. She also had a sneaking suspicion that he took out all his frustration on the game. He’d been doing pretty well this year, despite Sirius’ death, but Voldemort continued to terrorize humanity, and obviously wanted Harry dead, and Harry was still trying to deal with the fact that if he didn’t want to die, he was going to have to kill.

Not an easy nor a light burden to settle on the shoulders of a sixteen-year-old boy.

So he went to class and did his homework and kissed his girlfriend, but always in the back of his mind was this nagging weight; and he played Quidditch. He’d never told her any of this, he’d never even hinted at it, but she’d watched him play, in matches and at practice, and it was always on his quietest, most melancholy of days that he played the fiercest. Quidditch was his release, his method of handling the stress and the pain, and she was proud he’d chosen something so productive as an outlet for his aggravation rather than bottling it up as he had the year before. Her smile returned. She was willing to bet that Ron, fresh from one of their four or five AM practices, may not so readily agree with her (especially not if it was one of the practices where Harry made them run the grounds). But it was good for him—good for them both.

There was a sudden collective gasp from the stands that effectively pulled Hermione from her thoughts as the object of her most recent attention had just dropped into a steep dive at a furious speed, Malfoy right beside him. The crowd was on its collective feet as the two boys plunged downward, downward…

–And it’s Potter, Malfoy, Potter, Malfoy- duck, Harry, that’s a Bludger!—The Bludger, sent by Slytherin Beater Vincent Crabbe, misses Potter but nails Slytherin Seeker Malfoy—Ah! No! Crabbe slams into the Gryffindor Seeker and the snitch is lost. Times like these I wish this were football. He’d be out of the game for a stunt like that, the foul, cheating little—”

–Thomas!” McGonagall’s voice cut him off.

–Well, it’s only true! All right, so after a horrendous foul on the part of that filthy cheating Bea—”

–Thomas, do you want to commentate this game?”

A sigh, then Dean’s sulky voice was heard once more. –So the Slytherins narrowly miss killing the Gryffindor Seeker for something like the thirtieth time in his Quidditch career, and the ref awards a penalty to Gryffindor for that bit of inconsequential skinning, taken and put away by Weasley, and we continue. It’s Slytherin in possession. That’s Adrian Pucey with the Quaffle, nice pass to Montague, back to Pucey. He’s moving along pretty quickly up there, last minute pass to Warrington who—Hey! That was intentional!”

Hermione found herself rising unconsciously from her seat as Pucey and Montague slammed into Ron on either side, sandwiching him between them and forcefully knocking him out of the way while Warrington scored. There was a cry of protest from the crowd, and a shout of admiration from the Slytherins, and Hermione felt herself being pulled back into her seat by Parvati.

–It’s all right,” her friend told her, though the anger in her eyes was apparent. –He’s just fine, look.” And she pointed past Hermione’s nose in the direction of the Gryffindor goal posts. Hermione followed her finger with her gaze and found Ron, who had nearly fallen off his broom when his overenthusiastic support had suddenly dropped away from him, now shaking off his daze and scowling darkly at the Slytherin Chasers. His mouth was going at a furious pace, and Hermione grimaced at the thought of the words that must be streaming out of it. Dean’s voice boomed over the roar of the crowd as Ron resumed his position, still scowling fiercely.

–That’s a penalty to Gryffindor after another attempt on a Gryffindor life by the Slytherins’ stooging. Can’t say I blame them entirely, no one’s been able to score on Weasley since the start of the match against Ravenclaw last November. Penalty taken by Bell—”

Hermione smiled in the direction of her redheaded friend as Dean’s voice continued. It was true, she thought, that no one had been able to score on Ron since that match. Even the Gryffindor chasers had been having a hard time of it. –The man,” to quote an exasperated Katie Bell after a particularly difficult practice, –is a nightmare on that broomstick. Nothing gets past him.” Which was a good thing in the long run, but the Gryffindor Chasers seemed to think, whenever Harry pitted them against their Keeper in practice, that perhaps he was being a bit extreme.

–I understand his being so good during a match,” Ginny had complained bitterly, –but can’t he go a little easy on us in practice? Harry’s devoted to our being able to score on him regularly, says the challenge’ll be good for us. I say six hours of Chaser exercises on a Saturday is just ridiculous.”

Hermione had just laughed. But Ginny had a point. Ron had gone from one extreme to the other; from letting every Quaffle in, to no Quaffle at all, and she and Harry were so proud of him. All of Gryffindor was. But Hermione knew that, like Harry, there was more to Ron’s game than skill. Like Harry, he loved to fly; he may not be as good at it as their best friend, but he loved it just as much. And, like Harry, it was his release; but unlike Harry, Quidditch was the place where Ron lost his temper.

There was no doubt in the mind of anyone who knew him that Ron was easily angered. It really didn’t take much, just one little phrase, worded just so, and he blazed to life like wildfire, just as dangerous and just as unpredictable. She ought to know, she thought ruefully; she was the one who most often made him angry (not that it was intentional, mind you. Well, okay, maybe sometimes…). But ever since he’d discovered he really was very good as a Keeper, he’d started taking all his aggression out on Quidditch. It had made him much easier to get along with off the pitch, and everyone’s worst nightmare on it, and she was relieved to note that his volatile temper had not exploded in quite some time.

The crowd around her erupted to life, people jumping to their feet and screaming wildly. Hermione looked around bewildered, standing just to see what was going on, and frowned in disappointment when she saw Ron smirking at Montague. She’d missed something!

–After that spectacular save by Gryffindor Keeper Ron Weasley, Chaser Dennis Creevey takes possession of the Quaffle and flies towards the other end of the pitch. Slytherin Chasers Warrington and Pucey in hot pursuit, Montague still too stunned to do anything but sit dumbly on his broomstick—”

–Thomas!”

–Sorry, professor. That’s Gryffindor Chaser Weasley now in possession, Creevey, Weasley—nice use of the Porskoff Ploy by Ginny Weasley there. With Warrington out of the way Creevey takes the Quaffle and—YES! HE SCORES. ANOTHER TEN POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR!” Hermione screamed wildly like all the rest then settled back down in her seat, her eyes automatically swinging back to Ron. She loved to watch him fly. Who was she kidding? She loved to watch him, period.

Forty minutes and three saves by Ron later, Parvati grabbed her arm and started bouncing in her seat, cheering loudly, –Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!” Hermione’s voice rose with Parvati’s as she spotted Harry falling into another dive, chasing after Malfoy, the little Golden Snitch just feet in front of them as they fell ever faster—

–Come on, Harry!”

He was pulling even now, his long fingers stretching out, edging forward on his broom, the distance closing- six inches, four, three, two… Harry knocked Malfoy’s arm out of the way at the last second and then—

–YES! HARRY POTTER’S GOT THE SNITCH, GRYFFINDOR WINS 180 POINTS TO 10!”

The crowd erupted as Harry did a quick victory lap around the pitch, and Hermione couldn’t help but grin as he flashed by, snitch clenched tightly in one leather-clad fist. Her smile stayed firmly in place when she turned to watch Ron land beside the rest of the Gryffindor team, and it was only when she lost sight of him in the mass of congratulatory spectators that swarmed around him that her smile faded and she allowed Parvati to pull her from the stands.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

–Dean!” Hermione exclaimed later, stopping in the middle of the corridor to huff at him in exasperation, –Why are you following me?”

–Well…” Dean, who had indeed been trailing after her from the moment she left Gryffindor Tower, cocked his head at the prefect curiously. –It’s just that, every time we win a match, you sneak off and come back with food,” he told her. –That used to be the Weasley twins’ tradition; it must be against the rules.” He paused and eyed her thoughtfully. –I’ve never seen you break the rules before, and I thought it might be rather entertaining. Besides, I want to know where you people go to get all this food.”

–The kitchens. Where else would one go in a large castle to find food?”

–Are you allowed to be in the kitchens?”

Hermione sighed in irritation. –Dean, what do you think?”

–Ha!” he replied happily. –I knew it. Okay let’s go.”

Hermione rolled her eyes, not looking forward to this little outing with Dean, when a thought suddenly occurred to her. She stopped and looked at Dean slyly. –Where are you going?” she asked him.

He looked over at her as though he thought she were mad. –To the kitchens,” he answered slowly.

–I’m sorry, Dean, but students aren’t allowed in the kitchens. As a prefect, I’m afraid I have to ask you to go back to your common room.”

–What!? But you’re a student, and you’re going!”

–Going where?”

–To the kitchens!”

–Did I ever say I was going to the kitchens?”

–Well no, not exactly.”

–Well then. Back to your common room, Dean, before I’m forced to take away house points.”

He gaped at her. –But-but it’s your house too!”

–I know,” she said, nodding apologetically, then, raising her arms in a helpless shrug, –But my hands are tied. It’s my duty as a prefect to make sure you follow the rules. So go.”

Eyes wide in shock, Dean slowly started off down the hall, mumbling to himself in near admiration about sneaky, over-zealous prefects. Hermione grinned after him, then turned and continued making her way down to the kitchens. It was late evening and already dark outside, as it always was by the time the Gryffindor parties really got going, but there were still several hours before curfew. Still, Hermione found herself sneaking rather cautiously along one stone wall as she walked in response to the quiet, subdued air of the castle. Soon she was peering around corners and literally pressing her back against the walls to keep from being seen as she crept through the darkened corridors. Then she was grinning crazily and softly humming her personalized theme song from her present-stealing mission as she slithered down a set of stairs with a slightly louder step for every down beat of her song. By the time she reached the hallway with the painting of the bowl of fruit, she was singing rather loudly:

–Creeping through the corridors
Master of the night!
Tiptoeing on cold stone floors
Rule-breakers take flight!
Somewhere some students sneak
But too late, they’re caught!”

That’s right: the theme song now had words.

–Hermione!” she continued.
–(She’s a wicked prefect!)” she added in an aside.
Hermione!” She tickled the pear.
–(Let’s get serious!)” Hermione grabbed the handle and flung the door open.
–Hermione!” She stepped into the kitchens, now singing at the top of her voice.
–(Hermi-Hermione!)”

The song came to a sudden halt as she realized that every house-elf in the room was staring at her in wide-eyed fear. She heard a few of the closest murmur something about the –Miss who hides clothing” and words such as –terrifying” and –horrible,” and suddenly the room was devoid of all life saving herself. And Dobby.

–Hello, Dobby!” she sang out cheerfully, no longer disturbed by the behavior of the other elves. She could sit at a table, perfectly innocently, reading and eating a sandwich and they would still all run in fear.

–Good evening, Miss!” Dobby replied. Ten minutes later, she left the kitchens with several shrunken bags of carefully packed treats and drinks in her pockets and began the dark, secret journey back to the Gryffindor tower. Not long after that, the theme song made a reappearance; this time, caution remembered, performed almost entirely in her head, except for the soft tune which she hummed under her breath.

At curfew rounds she will appear
Intelligent and fair
Who’s that cunning mind behind
That really bushy hair?
Everybody knows her name
She always does her work!

By this time she had nearly reached the entrance hall, and because the chorus was fun, and her mission completed to the point where she wouldn’t be found out, she made the switch to audible song.

Yeah, here comes,

–Hermione!
(She’s a wicked prefect!)
Hermione!
(Let’s get seri—”

–Hermione, what are you doing?”

Hermione froze. She considered her position: pressed against the wall of the entrance hall, the cold of the stone behind her seeping through the clothes at her back, and half-hidden by a suit of armor she had been using for cover until she could make sure of the security of the hall before she dashed across it to the stairs opposite. It wouldn’t do to be seen after all.

Only she had been seen. By the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team, the members of which were looking at her rather oddly. Hermione blushed momentarily at having been caught behaving in such a manner, then shrugged and came out from behind the armor.

–Just nicking a bit of food from the kitchens,” she replied to Ron’s question, smiling in greeting to the others as they shook their heads and started up the stairs.

–By hiding behind a suit of armor?” Harry questioned, one eyebrow raised doubtfully and an amused smile tugging at his lips.

Hermione waved her hand dismissively at his comment, refusing to embarrass herself further by trying to explain it, and changed the subject instead. –Nice catch, as always, Harry,” she told him, reaching up to ruffle his wild-as-ever hair as she passed in the direction of their best friend. Harry shook his head in response and took hold of Ginny’s hand.

–Come on,” he told her quietly, –let’s leave them to it.” Ginny allowed herself to be led, reaching up with her free hand to smooth down his hair a little, wilder now after Hermione’s tousling, and he smiled.

Hermione, meanwhile, was wiping her hand off on her pants, having discovered after she put her fingers through it that Harry’s hair was still rather damp from his after-game shower. That done, she smiled up at Ron, who, having been leaning against the doorjamb up to this point, now unhitched himself from his position and looked down at her rather lazily, crossed arms falling to his sides. Without really thinking about what she was doing, she closed the space between them and slung her arms over his shoulders in a loose hug.

–You were amazing today,” she told him sincerely, voice muffled. His ears and that strip of extra sensitive skin across the tops of his cheeks and nose turned bright red in that way she thought was so cute, but she missed it because her face was still partially hidden in his shoulder.

–Er…thanks,” he replied, shifting uncomfortably but firmly returning the rare and much-treasured hug. He gently gathered her close and rested his chin on the top of her head, and she smiled at the pleasant weight, loving how well she fit in his arms and how warm and comfortable she felt there.

If only things could always be like this. She took one last deep breath, savoring the smell of the cold outside mixed in with fresh soap and that unidentifiable Ron smell clinging to his clothes, and sighed before pulling back a little. Instantly his eyes caught hers and she realized with a start just how close they were. Heart pounding, she really couldn’t help herself as she turned one hand over behind his head and slid her fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck. Ron tensed almost immediately, and she sighed; she loved his hair. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, she wasn’t sure, it was still wet from his shower too, and she wrinkled her nose, hoping to break the tension she wasn’t sure she wanted broken.

–Your hair is wet,” she told him quietly.

–I know,” he answered in kind, and she smiled brilliantly up at him.

–We should get back.” Her arms slid away until only her hands rested on his shoulders.

–Yes,” he agreed, was that reluctance? and let her go.

–Come on,” she ordered playfully, taking his hand and pulling him up the stairs after her. –We can’t eat all this food by ourselves you know, not even with your appetite.”

–Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” he asked indignantly. His warm fingers wrapped themselves more comfortably around her own and she couldn’t help but laugh, giddy from the contact and amused by his tone. Joking and laughing, they held hands all the way back to the Gryffindor Tower.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The party had undeniably been a huge success. The Gryffindor victory over Slytherin had been celebrated, food had been eaten, pumpkin juice had been drunk, and everyone had had a wonderful time. In short, it had been…normal. Gryffindor parties were always like that.

But that doesn’t make them any less enjoyable. Hermione sat on the couch, slowly sipping the last of her pumpkin juice and staring contentedly into the fire as she absorbed the events of the day and listened to the sound of Harry and Ron talking several feet away, their voices rising and falling in the growing quiet of the room. Soon the sound disappeared entirely, and she realized the room seemed empty without it, absently thought that most rooms sounded empty without the voices of her two best friends, and had the sudden urge to get up and hug them both and never let them go. She then realized that she was more tired than she had previously thought, and considered going to bed.

–Goodnight, Hermione,” said Harry’s voice in her ear then, and his arms wrapped loosely around her shoulders in a gently loving hug. Smiling, oddly enough with tears in her eyes, she leaned her head back against his shoulder and blinked sleepily at him, trying to remember the appropriate response.

–Hey,” Ron murmured softly, frowning as he caught her expression over their friend’s shoulder, –what’s the matter?” He dropped to his knees behind the couch next to Harry, his chin resting on her upper arm, and reached over the back of the couch to take her hand in his, his head turned to consider her face. She lifted a hand to Harry’s cheek on the one side of her face, raised the hand lost firmly in Ron’s to her own on the other, and sighed.

–It’s just, I love you guys so much.”

Harry laughed softly. –And that’s a cause for tears?”

Hermione grinned helplessly, a tear trembling briefly on her lashes before dropping despite her onto the smooth plane of her cheek. Ron lifted one finger from her hand to wipe it away with his knuckle and she turned her smile on him, then faced forward again.

–No,” she replied softly, –it’s just—I don’t know. We’re sixth years. Next year we’ll be graduating, and after that we won’t be able to do this anymore. I mean, it’ll still be the three of us, but it won’t be, you know? Already things are changing…”

Ron sighed. –Yes, they are. But no matter what, no matter who joins our circle, or how big our families get, it will always be the three of us, just like this. Maybe not here, maybe not as often, but always just as close.”

Harry nodded his agreement. –Right. Because we’re a package deal,” he paused momentarily, then looked at her firmly, moving her hand from his face and taking it in one of his. –But that’s all a long ways off still, ‘Mione. We don’t have to think of that just now. Now we get to enjoy what we have, okay?” She sniffed quietly and nodded. Harry smiled and gently brushed his hand over the back of her hair. –Go to bed, Hermione,” he told her gently, squeezing her hand, then headed up the stairs to the boys dorm. She was still smiling after him when a strong arm wrapped loosely about her shoulders, and something soft and warm pressed against her cheek.

–Goodnight, Hermione,” Ron’s deep voice murmured in her ear, and then he too was gone, disappearing up the stairs after their friend. Hermione sat there in shock.

He didn’t.

He hadn’t.

…Had he?

Hermione put a hand to her cheek.

But he had.

A goofy smile spread across her face. Ron Weasley had just kissed her! Albeit, on the cheek, but still, he had done it, and completely voluntarily too. She felt like squealing, jumping up and down, anything! Grinning, she glanced around the room, looking for someone, anyone! to whom she could relate her joy, and froze.

The common room was once again littered with party mess.

–Why is it always me?” she groaned. But somehow she couldn’t muster the irritation to really make it convincing. That stupid goofy grin, she knew, really ruined the effect entirely.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Nap Necessity by DoraeAzure
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: once again, I don’t own Harry Potter, or anything that involves Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling, and the fun movie-maker people at WB do). I’m not making any money from writing about Harry Potter, nor am I getting any other reward of material value from the creation of this fic containing Harry Potter. I am, as always, entirely broke due to paying for school; my only reward is the joy of my reviewers.

NOTES: Hello dearest ones! Here’s the next, long-awaited chapter. Wow, it’s been a long time, no? I felt so bad, because you all kept giving me these amazing reviews, and then I didn’t have time to write anything. But you all have been wonderful! I am so lucky to have such great readers! Now, I know several of you had concerns that maybe I’d given up on this fic and wasn’t going to write anymore. Let me assure you that I will not stop writing until it’s finished. This thing is my baby. I will not give up on it! (He he. So dramatic!) Anyway, I just wanted to address that issue real quick, so that all of you are aware that, even if takes me awhile to update, an update will come. Speaking of updates! Check my bio page for updates on updates! That’s right, if you want to know how a chapter’s coming along before I upload it, check my bio page, I’ll let you know what’s going on there. Also, my best friend has just started writing for Fanfiction.net (what? Me get her hooked into it? I don’t know what you’re talking about. I would never do such a thing), and you should check her stuff out. Her pen name is Gratia. She hasn’t written much yet, but she will, so keep an eye out for it. Sirius is her specialty. Anyway, that’s all I have to say for now, so read away and enjoy!
Chapter Six: Nap Necessity

It was seven o’clock in the morning, and Hermione was eating breakfast in the Great Hall. This was not at all strange, as she usually ate breakfast at seven in the morning, but one thing made this particular instance rather peculiar: she was alone. Completely and utterly alone. Aside from herself, her toast, and a mug of coffee, she was entirely without companionship. Despite the fact that there had never before been a morning when Hermione had come down to eat at seven and found the Great Hall empty, Hermione did not seem particularly perturbed. Perhaps this was because she was reading.

Or perhaps it was because she knew that no one who wasn’t completely mad ate breakfast at seven on a Saturday.

Unconcerned as to the fact that her breakfast habits were more than a little uncouth, Hermione (who had actually been in the Great Hall since six) happily turned a page in the book she was reading, and took another bite of toast.

Not that this was a usual thing for Hermione at all. Oh no. Truthfully, Hermione didn’t usually eat breakfast on Saturdays until seven-thirty (all right, ten, if that--the boys weren’t always up by then), but today she had a purpose. A good purpose, a worthy purpose, a purpose whose name was--

–Ron! Can’t you, just for once, just for five minutes, just a little, take it easy on us? Please! Harry won’t let us off till we’ve scored on you, and ever since that last game, you’ve been worse than ever!”

–Yeah, Ron! Give us a break! Besides, we three Chasers are getting rather discouraged; it’s not good for team morale, you know.”

Hermione looked up from her book with an air of glad expectancy as the loud voices rang through the entrance hall. Her eyes swung around just in time to catch sight of Harry slinging his arms around the shoulders of his two female Chasers in a consoling manner as the Gryffindor Quidditch team made their way into the Great Hall.

–It’s no good girls; haven’t you heard? Ron’s adopted Moody’s motto.” He dropped a kiss on the top of Ginny’s head and let them both go, his eyes focused on Hermione’s smiling face, a smirk already hovering on his own.

–That’s right,” agreed his redheaded friend, thrusting his index finger into the air above his head with gusto, –CONSTANT VIGILANCE!”

–So funny, Ron,” muttered Ginny, smacking her brother’s hand away when he reached to tousle her hair. He managed it anyway, laughing.

–Hello, Hermione!” said Harry slyly, sitting himself down across from her. –And what are you doing up so early on this bright and shining Saturday morning--”

–--when all who are sane are still in bed,” finished Dennis Creevey, dropping into the seat on Hermione’s right. Hermione shook her head and frowned briefly at Harry, who was once again grinning at her like he knew something she didn’t (she was beginning to hate that grin…), then smiled suddenly and leaned forward.

–Is it really sunny out today?” she asked eagerly. It had rained every day for the past week; not a day since the Gryffindor-Slytherin Quidditch match had they caught sight of the sun. Hermione was definitely a sun person.

–It is, actually,” said Ron, sitting on Hermione’s other side and teasingly preventing his sister from sitting next to Harry by putting his feet up in her seat. He received a sharp smack in the shin for his trouble, and dropped his feet to the floor. Ignoring his sister’s muttered ‘serves you right’ in response to his half-hearted glare, Ron turned his full attention to his strangely wakeful friend. –Or it will be, when the sun finishes rising properly,” here a pointed look at Harry, who purposefully ignored it. Hermione laughed, which brought Ron’s attention back to her for the third time in as many minutes. Affectionately exasperated thoughts about his attention span and toddlers flickered across her mind then dissipated when those bright blue eyes narrowed suddenly.

–Hermione. What are you doing up?” His tone was accusatory, and she bristled.

–Ron, since when is it a crime for someone to get up early?” She rolled her eyes.

–It’s not,” he told her, buttering his waffles and then slathering them in warm maple syrup, –but even you never get up this early on Saturday, and it just seems a little strange.”

–How would you know how early I get up on Saturday?” she demanded indignantly. He stared at her for several seconds before shaking his head and taking a bite of his breakfast.

–Because,” he replied, when his mouth was sufficiently empty to permit speech, –you eat breakfast with us every Saturday.”

–Except for this morning,” interrupted Harry, shooting Ron a meaningful look that he didn’t seem to get, –when we had Quidditch practice and wouldn’t have been--wait, no. Here you are, eating breakfast with us. Never mind.” Ron stared at him, then blinked and turned back to Hermione.

–Except for this morning, you eat breakfast with us every Saturday, so I would know when you eat breakfast.”

–For all you know, I come down early and eat before I eat with the two of you.”

–No, because you always take a shower before breakfast; your hair is always wet. And I’ve heard Lavender and Parvati complain about your long showers, so I know you wouldn’t have time to eat, take a shower, and still be done in time to eat again with us. Besides, your stomach isn’t big enough for two breakfasts.” He took another bite of food, then looked at her sharply. Reaching out, he buried a hand in her hair. –It’s barely damp. Just how long have you been up, anyway?” Embarrassed, even though she did have a perfectly legitimate reason for being up so early, and flustered by Ron’s actions, Hermione tried to ignore his hand on her head and searched desperately for a way to change the subject.

–Why was practice this morning so early anyway?” she asked, a little too quickly. Ron frowned, but Ginny, grinning sarcastically, answered before he could say anything.

–We all wanted to go to Hogsmeade today, but Harry wasn’t willing to give up practice, so we compromised--”

–--if by compromise you mean getting up at four-thirty, in the cold and the dark, just to practice against a ridiculously vigilant Keeper in front of an obsessively zealous captain, anyway,” Katie added, leaning around Ginny to look pointedly at her captain.

–All right! All right!” Harry laughed. –I get the idea! But I do seem to recall that it was you two who wanted enough time to shower and ‘get ready’ before we left for Hogsmeade, so technically, it’s your own faults practice was scheduled as early as it was.” Ginny and Katie’s protests rose immediately, and Jack Sloper and Andrew Kirke were soon forced to jump to Harry’s rescue amid much laughter and argument.

Meanwhile, ignoring the debate brewing across the table, Ron moved his hand from Hermione’s hair (much to her relief) and placed it instead under her chin (which caused her greater panic than before). Cupping her face gently in his palm, he curled his long fingers around her jaw and turned her face towards his, his expression concerned.

–Why are you up so early, ‘Mione?” he asked her softly. –Why are you eating breakfast before ten?” She hesitated, searching for an excuse, but when she finally met his gaze with her own, the care and concern she saw there captured her, and she couldn’t bring herself to lie to him.

–I never went to bed, Ron.” She saw him flinch, but plunged ahead before he could interrupt. He would know just by looking at her anyway, and she had to get it out. –I couldn’t sleep, not after last night, and so I just stayed up and read. But then I was still feeling so lonely and scared this morning, and I didn’t know what to do because you two were already at practice, and I didn’t feel comfortable waking my roommates, so I just took a shower and came down to breakfast to wait for you.” The night before, right around ten, the three of them (she, Ron and Harry), had somehow ended up being the only ones in the common room (odd because the common room was always full on Fridays), and Harry had been asleep on one of the couches. Hermione had just finished her Potions essay and was beginning one for Transfiguration when Harry had started dreaming. It hadn’t been anything big at first, just a little restlessness, but then he’d started to toss and turn, sweating profusely and muttering long, incoherent sentences punctuated by screaming or shouts of ‘no!’ It had been terrible; she’d almost started to cry just watching him. Then Ron had calmly set aside his homework, stood up from his chair, and shook Harry violently, calling his name. He’d come awake with a start, clutching his head and panting. Grabbing hold of Ron’s sleeve with one trembling hand, he looked up at him with wide eyes.

–Not-a nightmare-Ron,” he’d gasped, his knuckles going white. –Another one-not a nightmare.” He shook his head and moaned, leaning forward against his friend. –Don’t-read the paper-tomorrow. Just-don’t-read it.”

–All right, Harry. No papers.” He put an arm about Harry’s waist and pulled him to his feet, supporting most of his weight himself since Harry couldn’t seem to stand up straight yet, and looked down at Hermione. –I’m taking him up to bed. You should get some sleep.” Then he smiled a strained smile that was supposed to be comforting but wasn’t, and helped Harry up the stairs. She had gone up to bed afterwards, but had spent the night huddled in her covers reading, too worried to go to sleep, too afraid to.

Now Ron looked at her searchingly. –You knew he was having those dreams, Hermione. Why is it bothering you so much more now than before?”

–Before, he wasn’t having them right in front of me,” she whispered back. –I didn’t realize how bad they were.”

–They’re not that bad. I mean, yes they are, but it’s much better now than it used to be. The Occlumency lessons with Dumbledore have helped a lot, and on the rare occasion that he does have one, they’re usually mild. Yesterday was the exception, not the rule.”

–I’m still scared,” she admitted quietly.

–What can I do to make it better for you, ‘Mione?”

–I don’t know.” She felt lost. He looked at her for a moment, then reached out his arm and pulled her in for a tight one-armed hug.

–Hey, hey, hey,” said Ginny immediately from across the table. –What are you doing, Ron? Get your arm off of Hermione. Unless there’s something you’d like to tell us?” she added suggestively. Hermione blushed as Ron jerked his arm away, but rolled her eyes at her friend.

–Friends are allowed to hug, Ginny,” she told her, and took a sip of her coffee. Ginny merely grinned at her and turned back to her boyfriend, leaving Hermione to think in peace.

Ginny’s matchmaking efforts were definitely getting a little out of hand, Hermione decided. As if the mistletoe thing at Christmas hadn’t been bad enough, she had been dropping embarrassingly obvious hints for almost a month now. It was ridiculous, really. Not that it mattered. It was obvious by the way Ron always jerked as far away from her as he could at any such comment from anybody that he wasn’t interested. She sighed. So here they were, full circle. She helplessly head over heels, stuck sitting irritatingly close to the object of her affections, while he went on as though…well she didn’t really know. He couldn’t not know she was interested; she didn’t see how he could be so ignorant after all his sister had said and done, but he didn’t behave as if anything had changed between them either. Well, except for the fact that he had been more affectionate lately. Maybe he did fancy her…she shook her head and yawned. She really was tired and this train of thought was getting her nowhere. Not to mention if Ron’s elbow touched her one more time… Retrieving her book from the table beneath a plate of waffles, Hermione stood and made as if to leave.

–Hermione, where are you going?” Harry had reached across the table, half standing out of his seat to reach her, and grabbed hold of her wrist. –We haven’t finished breakfast yet.” She smiled at him.

–I need to go to bed, Harry,” she told him softly. –I’ll see you all when you get back from Hogsmeade.”

–Bed? Wait, you’re not coming with us? What-–

–Just let it go, Harry,” Ron interrupted, prying their friend’s hand loose. But Harry looked distinctly upset all of the sudden.

–Is this because of yesterday? Because I’m really sorry about that, Hermione,” he told her earnestly, voice soft. –I really am.” Her eyes widened.

–No, Harry,” she told him, –it wasn’t your fault. It’s okay, really.” She held his hand between her own and squeezed it gently, then let go and left the room.

Bed. It really did sound nice.

* * *


Hermione was awoken suddenly by a loud bang followed by noisy swearing. Sitting up, she looked around the common room, where she had decided to take her nap when she couldn’t fall asleep in her dorm, and flung her blanket over the back of the couch. Taking note of the light outside the window, she realized she had been sleeping several hours and had probably missed lunch. A scuffing sound interrupted her train of thought then, and she turned to the portrait hole, curious.

–Ron?” she yawned, catching sight of him standing just inside the door, holding a hand to his head. Then she got a good look at him. –Ron!” she cried, jumping out of her seat and racing to his side. –What happened?”

Ron was covered in mud, blood, and bruises, not the least of which was a great black eye, already dark and quickly swelling. He had obtained several cuts on his face and arms, a skinned knee through the hole in his jeans, and the hand which was covering a large bump on his head was bruised rather badly across the knuckles. She frowned as she led him back to her couch. It looked like he had been in a fight. –Ron?”

All he said was, –Malfoy.” She sighed and dug her wand out of the bag by her feet. She performed a quick scouring charm to get rid of all the mud, then summoned warm water (mixed with antiseptic) in a bowl, and a rag. Carefully cleaning his cuts and studiously ignoring his hissing and cries of –it stings!” she listened as he explained that he had run into Malfoy on his way to meeting Harry and Ginny at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. They had exchanged words, then blows, had been pulled apart by a group of passing Ravenclaws, Ron had received detention from one irritated Snape as he passed by, and here he was.

–You really have to stop this, Ron,” she told him with a sigh, carefully wrapping his bruised hand in white bandages. –If you didn’t get into so many fights with Malfoy, Madam Pomfrey wouldn’t have refused to heal any more of your ‘battle wounds’ and you wouldn’t have to suffer through my clumsy Muggle treatments instead.”

–Well, if you would just study healing spells, we wouldn’t have this problem. I can’t believe there’s something you don’t know how to do…”

–I know the theory, Ron, but you’re not supposed to try these things unsupervised. It’s like Apparating; it’s far too easy to make mistakes with spells like that. I could very well open a cut wider rather than closing it up and have to watch as you bled to death at my feet. If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather not risk it. We’ll just have to wait until Harry gets back with Ginny. She’s been training under Madam Pomfrey, she’ll know how to heal them properly. Besides, if you hadn’t been fighting, you wouldn’t have cuts and bruises to be healing. What did he do this time, look at you?”

–Hermione, you know I never beat him up just for--Ow Hermione! That hurts!--just for looking at me; I wait until he provokes me.”

–Oh don’t be such a baby, Ron. So what did he say, then, that was so terrible you had to attack him in the middle of Hogsmeade?”

–He asked where you were,” he replied, looking away from her. She glanced up at him sharply.

–He called me a Mudblood then.”

–Don’t say that word. It’s a dirty word, it shouldn’t be coming out of your mouth.” She was still staring at him; he still wouldn’t look at her.

–But that’s what he said,” she stated, eyes searching his face.

–Yeah, that’s what he said,” Ron affirmed, eyes dropping to his bandaged hand, which he flexed experimentally, and winced when it hurt to do so.

–Stop that,” she ordered absently, putting her hand over his to stop him moving it. –Ron, it’s just a word. It’s cruel and derogatory, but it can’t really hurt me, especially if I’m not there to hear it.” His reaction came so fast it startled her. Jerking his hand out from under her own, he leapt to his feet and stood towering over her, positively glaring.

–It does hurt!” he shouted. –I’ve seen the look on your face when he says it. It hurts you to be called that, and it hurts me to hear him talk about you that way. I will not let him get away with it, not so long as I’m there to stop him!”

–Ron…” He glared down at her for several seconds then dropped suddenly onto the couch. He stared out the nearby window.

–I’m sorry,” he said quietly. –I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

–No, Ron. I shouldn’t have scolded you.” He was still staring out the window. She put her hand on his arm, and his eyes met hers. –Thank you for defending me,” she told him sincerely. He nodded and looked away again.

Silence.

–Let me see your other hand.” For the next ten minutes, she tended to his remaining cuts and bruises, then shook her head when she finished. –I hope Malfoy looks at least half this bad,” she muttered to herself. –He really beat you up.” Ron grinned and stretched gingerly, yawning.

–Nnn, worse. Much worse.” He dropped his arms, then winced.

–Do be careful, please.” She said dryly, picking up her book from a side table and flipping it open. He made a dismissive sound in the back of his throat and yawned again.

–I’m really tired,” he muttered.

–Then go take a nap.”

He looked at the stairs to the boys’ dorm, then considered the couch on which they sat, then back to the stairs…and decisively stretched out across the couch.

Hermione, who had not gotten up, started in surprise as Ron’s head landed in her lap. Several seconds were required for her to recover from the shock, then she scowled.

–No, Ron! Not here!” She pushed at his shoulder in an attempt to roll him off the couch, but he was too heavy and only laughed at her. –For one, you’re laying on me and you’re heavy” not that I really mind, –and secondly, you’re in my napping spot!”

–You’ve already had a nap today, it’s my turn. Besides, you’re reading anyway, and I’m comfortable. Now quit moving around and let me go to sleep.”

–Ron!” she exclaimed, outraged.

–Hermione!” he mocked in a high pitched voice, copying her tone, then pointedly closed his eyes and shifted so that he was more comfortable. She looked down at him, taking up the entire couch with his legs hanging off over the arm, and shook her head.

–You’re impossible, you know that?”

–Mmm, yeah,” he muttered sleepily. –But you love me anyway.” She snorted, but allowed herself to smile fondly down at him, since he couldn’t see it anyway. Shaking her head again, she gave up. Grumbling quietly, just for show, she found her page from earlier that morning and began to read.

Ten minutes later found Ron, covered in Hermione’s blanket, deeply asleep on her lap, and Hermione smiling gently as she attempted for the fifth time to finish her page, one hand holding the book, and the other playing with Ron’s thick red hair.

* * *


She ignored him as he sat down in a nearby chair and pulled it around to face her, grinning madly.

–Are you sure there’s nothing you’d like to share, Hermione?” he asked her quietly.

–There’s nothing to share,” she whispered back.

–Really? That’s not what I think. I think you-”

–You think? Wow, I’d no idea. I certainly couldn’t tell from the homework you’ve done this week. Tell me, does it hurt? Thinking, I mean.” He glared at her, and she ignored that too, keeping her eyes firmly glued to her book.

–I’ll have you know it takes a great deal of thought and imagination to do my Divination homework, and I finished that last night.”

She turned the page. –Ooo, sorry. I had no idea it took so much effort for you to come up with lines like ‘fall into lake next Thursday--get eaten by giant squid.’ My mistake.”

–Eaten by the giant squid? How come I didn’t think of tha--Hey!” He cried softly, and glared again. –Sarcasm does not become you.”

–I do apologize.”

–You’re not sorry at all.”

–Really?” His eyes narrowed.

–I know what you’re doing,” he whispered. –You think I don’t notice, but I have. You’re trying to distract me, but it won’t work. I will have my say. Do you know why?”

–You’re annoying? No, no idea.”

–Hermione, you’re really not cooperating here. What kind of friend are you anyway?”

–One who likes to avoid embarrassing situations?”

He snorted softly. –Little late for that, now, isn’t it? Which brings us back to the topic at hand. I was trying to say that I think you--” Now she looked up. He was grinning again as he spoke, and she glared.

–Harry.” She interrupted. –You’re irritating me.”

–Am I? I hadn’t noticed.” He was grinning more broadly than ever. She scowled.

–Go. Away.”

–But Hermione, we haven’t hardly seen each other all day; I’ve missed you!” He whispered sorrowfully, and batted his eyelashes at her in innocence. –Besides, I’m having too much fun to leave now.”

–I’ll bet.”

–You fancy him, you know you do. Why don’t you just admit it?”

–Why are we having this conversation here? Why are we having this conversation at all?”

–Because we’re best friends. Aren’t we supposed to tell each other everything, or something like that?”

She stared at him. –Funny. You look like Harry. You sit like Harry, you certainly smell like Harry (–Hey, just what are you implying?”), but you sound like Lavender. Why is that?”

–Ha. Ha. Cute. But seriously, you’re a girl, Hermione--”

–Am I really?” He ignored her.

–--but we’re always doing boy best friend things. I’m just trying to relate to you like a girl, you know, on your own level.”

Her eyes widened and she went rigid. He was teasing, she knew, but still…

–Harry Potter,” she hissed, glaring at him, her face radiating fury, –if I were able to get up--”

–Lucky me you’re not able to then.” He sat back in his chair, utterly relaxed. –Remind me to thank Ron later, would you?”

–You’re going to die.”

–Eventually, yes. You know, I’m beginning to see why Ron enjoys arguing with you,” he mocked gently. –You’re so cute when you’re angry. Of course I don’t have the same motive he has…”

–Harry, run get Ginny for me would you?” she asked him sweetly. He eyed her suspiciously.

–Why?”

–Because I want to apologize for her loss.”

He frowned. –For her what?”

–Her loss. Seeing as how she’s going to be short a boyfriend as soon as Ron wakes up.”

–Who’s going to be short a boyfriend?” asked a voice from behind.

Hermione looked over her shoulder at Ginny, who’d just come through the portrait hole. –You are,” she answered.

–Really?” Ginny frowned. –Why?”

–Because he can’t keep quiet, so I’m going to kill him as soon as Ron wakes up.”

–Oh.” She considered her boyfriend with suspicion. –Does he really deserve it?”

–Ginny!” Harry protested. Both girl’s ignored him.

–He said he was trying to relate to me as a girl. On my own level,” Hermione told her.

–As if the boy level were higher than the girl level?”

–That’s the impression I got.”

–Oh,” she said again. –Here, let me help you.” And with that, she grabbed hold of Ron’s feet, braced herself, and jerked sharply to the left. He tumbled knee first off the couch and hit the floor with a thud.

–Ouch! What the--” He sat up, rubbing his shoulder. No one was paying attention to him.

–Harry.” Hermione glowered at him –Run.” He needed no further prompting. The raven-haired Quidditch captain was on his feet and out the door in a flash, Hermione right on his heels. Ron stared after them.

–What was that all about?”

–Revenge, I think. Well deserved revenge.”

–Harry made Hermione mad?” He was incredulous.

–Seems that way.”

–Weird.”

–Yeah.” She looked down at him, frowned. –What’d you do to yourself?” He blinked, face blank, trying to remember. Screaming was heard from the corridor outside. Ginny sighed and brandished her wand.

–Let’s see if we can’t heal those.”




End Notes:
Well, that’s it for chapter six: ten and a half pages of Ron and Hermione goodness. It’s a little weird, I think, but I felt so bad about having taken so long to update that I sat down and pounded a chapter out in two days. It doesn’t even contain the events that I had planned to include in chapter six; I guess those will have to wait until chapter seven. Anyway, I’m not sure how I like this chapter yet, nor how long it will take me to update the next one. Next week is the last week of school but I’ll have to unpack when I get home, and look for a job, so there’s no telling. But I’ll do the very best I can, I promise. At the very least, I’ll try not to take as long as I did to upload this one. If you ever get curious, however (for those of you who didn’t read the note at the top, shame on you! That’s right, I know some of you skip that part), as to how I’m doing on uploading a chapter, I try to keep my bio page, in the Seasonal Suffering or Daily Update sections, updated so that you can all know how the current chapter is progressing and how soon I think it will come out. Or you could e-mail me. I love e-mails. Anyway, that’s all for now. I’ll see you in chapter seven!

Review, review, review!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67371