Ancient Magic: The Final Confrontation by Starmom
Summary: It's time. Voldemort's plan to capture and conquer Hogwarts has been uncovered. The horcruxes have been found and Harry has found a way to "vanquish" the Dark Lord. The forces of good have gathered and the Final Battle is about to begin. A six-part version of the final chapter of Book 7.




Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 15455 Read: 16178 Published: 05/21/07 Updated: 06/30/07

1. Part One - The Arrival by Starmom

2. Part 2 - Drawn Out by Starmom

3. Part 3 - When It's Over by Starmom

4. Part 4 - Circular Magic by Starmom

5. Part 5 - Simple Gifts by Starmom

6. Part 6 - Phoenix Song by Starmom

Part One - The Arrival by Starmom
Author's Notes:
This was my first-ever fanfic, written more than a year ago, before Deathly Hallows was announced. I'm posting here, now, pre-book release, in response to a reader request (thank you for asking!). The story is complete and each of the six parts will be posted as soon as they are validated by the mods.
Part One
“ The Arrival -


Harry arrived at the top of the hill first, wand drawn and ready. He froze in a crouch, just behind the crest, looking intently at the ancient site in the valley below for anything suspicious. It was dark but the sky was clear and the field was lit by moonlight and stars. He knew the others had arrived by hearing the sound of successive small ‘pops’ pierce the silence of the hill. He glanced behind him to see…nothing. Only a strange assortment of wand tips that hovered oddly in mid-air.

“All clear,” said Harry to the air behind him. One by one, his classmates revealed themselves as they tossed back their invisible hoods and robes.

They don’t look like students anymore, Harry thought with both pride and sadness. Dressed in their dragon-made tunics and leggings, they indeed looked like the warriors they had worked so hard to become. He took a deep breath and swallowed hard.

This will work.

“My brothers are wicked brilliant!” Ron commented with a bit of reverence in his voice as he looked about the group emerging out of thin air. “These robes will definitely be on Filch’s banned objects list once this is all over!”

“My father will find loads of uses for them on his expeditions,” Luna remarked as she made her arm appear and disappear by pulling the sleeve of her robe up and down.

Harry walked among the group, counting heads: Ron and Hermione, Neville, Luna, Susan and Ginny. He walked over to Ginny who was holding onto Neville so tightly he was grimacing in pain.

“You all right?” Harry asked, prying her fingers off Neville’s arm.

“Thanks, Harry,” Neville said in relief and walked over to help Ron.

“You were right, Harry.” Ginny looked a bit green. “Nasty feeling “ Apparating.”

“It does get a bit better when you can do it by yourself.” He smiled in sympathy, remembering his first side-along Apparition with Dumbledore.

Recovering quickly, Ginny let out an impatient sigh and started to pace a bit. “I can’t wait to get on with it! Harry,” Ginny said, stopping to look at him directly, “do I have to join mum after we’re done? I’m no good with patching people up like she is.”

Harry checked his watch. It would begin very soon. He returned her gaze. “Ginny, you know the only way your mum allowed you to do this much is if I promised I’d get you to her immediately after to help in the infirmary.” He gestured off in the distance where the wounded would be taken. “Think about how this is for her “ especially after Percy. She has so much to lose tonight”” He stopped himself, not meaning to have put it quite that bluntly. Though it did have the desired affect. Ginny shook off her impatience and gathered Harry in an embrace. Harry hesitated for just a moment before returning her hug.

“Of course, you’re right, Harry. I’m sorry. This is your plan. I trust you.” She let him go with a light kiss on his cheek and went over to join Luna and Susan.

Harry felt fear and doubt attack from the bottom of his stomach. His plan. As confident as he was, Ginny’s part in it was the one place he still felt uncertain. In the end, despite his still surprising love for this amazing girl, she had persuaded him that no one’s life “ even hers “ was more important than any of the others he was putting at risk. Hadn’t she suffered as well? Shouldn’t it be her choice? In the end, she was right. Molly, to his amazement, agreed. So that was that. He pushed his uncertainty aside forcefully and re-focused on the task at hand.

He looked around at his friends, who, preparing themselves for this night all year, had turned themselves into the real Dumbledore’s Army. They were going about their business with precision, their well-practiced activity appearing calm and assured. Hermione was making some last minute checks in the book of runes she had insisted on bringing along. Ron and Neville were checking the packs they had brought. The other girls were walking through some of the trickier spells. He felt a rush of love and respect for them all. Harry was humbled and grateful for their resolve and unwavering trust in him, agreeing to follow his instructions completely, even though they only knew their part of the whole plan.

“It’s just amazing!” Susan remarked in awe, looking down from the peak of the hill. “It’s exactly as it looked in practice!” Their eyes followed her wand pointing to the valley below where they stood. The small group joined her at the grassy crest, all feeling the old magic that had been created there so long ago. The moon was high and casting shadows on the outer, larger circle of standing stones, which rose from the ground like sentinels. Susan was right. It was laid out exactly as Moody had conjured it for their practices in the Room of Requirement.

Even after thousands of years, the stones still stood at heights between four to six meters high on a grass covered, chalkstone bank, surrounded by a deep, wide ditch that appeared to have once held water. The field itself was enormous “ certainly larger than six Quidditch fields put together. There was the meandering stone pathway that entered the first, largest circle from the west, moved up to cross through the second, smaller circle at the northern end and retreated out of the circle to the east, looking like a giant serpent. Remnants of the original entrance gates to the circle were still visible, marking their planned destination points: east, south and west.

Harry took out his Omnioculars to get a better look at the smaller circle, farthest away from where they all stood. Still quite large, this inner circle was shaped by twelve tall stones. A fallen remnant of a thirteenth stone lay inside, on the ground. Also inside the circle was a small group of Death Eaters standing around a fire in the center: Bellatrix Lestrange, Goyle, two others Harry didn’t recognize, and, thanks to the last successful breakout of Azkaban, McNair and Avery.
Harry was glad the Ministry had new, more trustworthy guardians of the wizard prison. They were going to be busy there later this morning.

CRACK! At the sound, they pivoted as one, pointing their wands collectively at Malfoy who had Apparated behind them.

“It’s okay!” Harry gestured for them to lower their wands. “Excellent reflexes, though. Moody will be proud!”

Malfoy looked at the group with apprehension and wariness. Harry went to him quickly and took his hand in greeting, which Malfoy held for only a moment before stepping back.

“Is everything on plan?” Harry asked with concern.

Malfoy nodded. “Yeah. I told them I needed to step out for a bit. They hardly noticed,” he said, tossing his head in the direction of the Death Eaters gathering. “I’m only good for fetching things for them anyway. They wouldn’t even have had me here tonight if I hadn’t convinced You-Know-Who to let me come. ” Malfoy grimaced. “They’re going over their plan to attack Hogwarts tomorrow, as expected. I think you lot will be a bit of a surprise,” Malfoy added.

Harry noticed his group shifting about awkwardly as they stared at Malfoy. While they all knew that Malfoy had come to their side after his parents’ death, it had taken them a long time to believe it. Harry also realized that they hadn’t seen him since that awful night at Hogwarts, and it was likely that many would still find it hard to trust him. He turned back to Malfoy, but made sure the group could hear him clearly.
“Malfoy, without your help, none of this would have been possible. We wouldn’t have found out about Voldemort’s plan to take over Hogwarts, and about this place,” Harry gestured to the plain below.

Malfoy scowled, clearly uncomfortable receiving praise from Harry.

“Just kill him, Potter, then it will have been worth risking my life being under that foul creature’s beck and call,” Malfoy muttered.

“Are you sure he hasn’t been able to read your mind?”
“Of course not,” said Malfoy, affronted at the suggestion. “I’ve been taught by the best, remember? Snape“”

Professor Snape!” Harry interrupted with a smirk.

Harry’s attempt at irony seemed to work. Malfoy grinned.

“Right. Professor Snape worked me hard until my Occlumency skills were perfect. Of course, he did say that I had learned it faster than anyone he had ever taught,” Malfoy said, in his habitual smug manner.

“You’d be the only one he ever taught, since he bungled it with me,” Harry remarked.

“Hmph. I heard that it was you doing the bungling, Potter.”

“Harry, Malfoy!” Hermione interrupted as she called the group together. As they circled around her, she reached into a small black pouch attached to her waist and pulled out a several small, round objects attached to black silk strings and began to hand them out.

“I’m giving one of these to each of you but, remember, use them only when Harry calls you. If you are in real trouble, call for me. Do you understand?” They all nodded in assent. “One for you too, Draco,” Hermione added as she put a mirror around his neck as well. She met his eyes, taking in his surprise. “We’re all glad you’re here, with us,” she added softly.

“It’s a mirror,” said Malfoy changing the subject, quickly shifting his eyes away from Hermione’s. He looked at the object in his hand with confusion. “What’s it do?”

“It’s from a special mirror my Godfather gave me a few years ago,” replied Harry. “I... well - it sort of “ broke.

“Hermione made them,” Ron explained. “She took all the broken bits and Transfigured them into individual little two-way mirrors. It’s a two-way mirror. You speak someone’s name and, if they’ve got one too, they pop up for a chat. Sort of like a… what do you call those Muggle things, Hermione? Walking... something?”

“Walkie-Talkies,” Hermione corrected.

“That’s it! She also fixed it so that they won’t work for no one but us.” Ron smiled at her with evident pride and Hermione blushed, pleased with Ron’s compliments.

“Pretty clever for a “” Hermione shot Malfoy a look and he reconsidered. “For a Gryffindor,” he finished.

Harry stepped away from the group, so they were out of earshot. He focused on his mirror. “Kingsley Shacklebolt,” he called. Immediately, the image of Kingsley appeared. Harry sighed with relief to see him.

“Everything all right?” Kingsley asked.

“Yes, sir. All go on your end? Dobby there?”

Harry saw Kingsley’s right eyebrow rise a bit. “The Order is ready and waiting for your signal, Harry. And, yes, Dobby is here with his….colleagues.” Hermione had stepped over to watch with Harry and she piped in.

“Tell Dobby we’re proud of him and all the house-elves. They are making history tonight!”

Kingsley looked off to his right for a moment and then turned back to look at them both. “Yes, he’s heard and wants to report that ‘Hermione’s Army’ is ready!” Harry saw him try to suppress a grin. Hermione looked ridiculously proud, and Harry released Kingsley’s image by dropping the mirror to his side. Immediately he picked it up again and, looking into it called, “Rufus Scrimgeour.”

Ron had joined them and they watched together as Scrimgeour appeared in Harry’s mirror.

“We’re ready, Harry,” Scrimgeour responded without prompting. “I have over one hundred Aurors and an expanded Magical Law Enforcement Squad at the ready. But Harry,” Scrimgeour paused as worry and frustration passed over his face, “please reconsider and tell me how you plan to confront V - Voldemort,” he said, spitting out the name with difficulty. Harry started to protest, but Scrimgeour pushed on. “Look, Harry, I know you have to be the one to face Voldemort in the end and, despite my better judgment, I’ve agreed to do this your way.” Scrimgeour’s sour expression conveyed that this agreement had not come easily. “But I think you should reconsider; you don’t have to be there alone. We have dozens of highly trained professionals who can support you!”

“Sir, with all respect, you need to trust me on this. You are supporting me by agreeing to follow my plan which, after all we’ve been through, I know must be difficult for you.”

Scrimgeour grunted in reply, acknowledging that it had taken him a long time to understand that garnering Harry’s support for the Ministry required offering his own.

“If it helps, think about it this way: I’m following Dumbledore plan. He’s been guiding me all along and I’m sure I’ve got this right. I won’t be alone,” Harry said, looking over at Ron and Hermione. “And, sir, you’ve already promised,” said Harry with a wan smile, knowing how this argument would end.

Scrimgeour sighed and shook his head. “All right, Harry. I don’t like it, but - we’re with you.”

“Thank you, sir. That means everything. We won’t fail.” Scrimgeour’s image faded. “We can’t fail.”

Turning to Ron and Hermione, he said simply, “It’s time.”
Part 2 - Drawn Out by Starmom
Author's Notes:
The first part of the battle begins - deception and a surprise attack.
Part Two “ Drawn Out


The group gathered around Harry looking at him expectantly, which caught him a bit off guard. Although they had all asked to be a part of this and had agreed to follow his lead without question, he suddenly felt the weight of an enormous responsibility for them all. He took a deep breath, hoping to find the words they needed.

“Dumbledore always told us that it was important for all the Houses of Hogwarts to work together and we have managed to do that. We’re all here; finally, to do what needs to be done.” Harry paused, feeling the energy they created as they stood side by side. They looked at each other, and he knew they could feel it as well.

“I know,” Harry continued, “that you each have personal reasons for wanting to ” to see this done. All of our families have suffered at the hands of Voldemort, and this morning it will finally come to an end.” Harry saw them stand up just a bit straighter with determination, not one of them shrinking at hearing the Name-That-Must-Be-Spoken. “But this isn’t just about Susan’s family or Malfoy’s or... or mine. It’s about the future. It’s about making sure that it is safe for them - our children - to make sure that they never have to live under this evil.” He willed himself not to look at Ginny as he said this.

Harry turned to Malfoy. “Ready?”

Malfoy nodded, and without another word, Disapparated from the hill. Harry looked through his Omnioculars and watched as Malfoy Apparated just a bit away from the smaller, northern circle to rejoin the gathering of Death Eaters around the fire.

“Harry,” Susan said, taking his hand, her eyes glistening, “we’re all ready. Thank you for giving us the chance to set things right. I know my mother would be proud. So would yours.” She gave him a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek.

A huge lump seemed to have appeared in Harry’s throat. “Right,” he went on, swallowing hard to regaining his composure. “Wait for my signals. And remember: distract, draw away, and detain. Keep yourselves hidden under your robes and do NOT engage in any direct fighting. Wait until one of the Order and the house-elves appear, and then find a safe space to hide until you’re called. Neville, as soon as you’re done, you’ll take Ginny to her mum in the infirmary. Susan, you gather up Luna. Clear?” Harry looked from one to the other as they all nodded their understanding. If they were scared, they didn’t show it. That they were determined was clear.

Without another word, they picked up their packs and put on their robes, rendering themselves instantly invisible. Ron and Hermione were last, nodded at Harry and disappeared like the others. In another second, several more ‘pops’ told Harry they were all gone. Harry put on his robe as well and, taking out his mirror, stood at the top of the hill.

“Kingsley,” Harry called into his mirror, “send the elves.” After just a moment, Harry watched as hundreds of small figures appeared in the great ditch that surrounded the field of stones. In unison, they held up their small arms until their fingertips touched. A thin white mist appeared, creating an airborne cord that seemed to knit the elves together in the charm that that would ensure that the Death Eaters would be unable to Disapparate out of the field until released. Harry, suddenly realizing he’d been holding his breath, exhaled.

Keeping his eye on the western gate to the field, Harry spoke into the mirror. “Hermione “ good luck and... GO!”

Immediately, Harry saw the silvery glow of Hermione’s Patronus, an otter that ran back and forth, drawing attention to itself. Harry focused his Omnioculars on the six Death Eaters and Malfoy in the smaller circle. He saw them all turn, startled by the source of the noise and the light of the glowing animal across the field. To Harry’s relief, they Apparated in a group to that spot. Once they were there, however, he could see that they were uncertain how to respond to the crazed otter running and prancing around them. From where Harry stood, the small group of masked wizards appeared confused, as they fired random spells. He knew Hermione would be able to dodge them easily.

“Ron... GO!” Harry ordered. He heard the firing of Fred and Georges’ Decoy Detonators. Several small explosions erupted near the eastern gate, causing three Death Eaters to peal off from the main group to investigate, Disapparating all the way across the field.

“YES!” Harry exclaimed, pumping his invisible fist into the air.

“Susan and Luna... GO!”

At the southern edge of the circle, Harry saw Susan Conjure a brilliant waterfall of light and the ghostly image of what Harry assumed to be Luna’s beloved Crumple-Horned Snorkack. Each of these illusions succeeded in separating more Death Eaters apart from each other.

****

Hermione was indeed dodging spells, as Harry had accurately assessed, and under her invisibility robe, she set off a series of Stinging Hexes, hitting her mark relentlessly . The infuriated Death Eater ripped off his mask to try to see his attacker more clearly. Fortunately, he hadn’t noticed that his comrades had been drawn off to investigate other distractions. As soon as he was alone, Hermione shouted “Langlock!” to prevent him from yelling out a warning and, in the next moment, with a loud CRACK! Hagrid and Dobby appeared. Before the Death Eater could turn to investigate this new noise, Hagrid had him bound in ropes.

“We’s got him, Miss Hermione! We’s got him!” sang Dobby with glee. He added more magical ropes of his own until the Death Eater toppled over.

Hagrid’s large foot kicked the bound form over until it faced him. “McNair!” he growled with a satisfied grin. “I never thought I’d be happy ter see you again!”

Keeping his eye, wand, and foot on McNair, Hagrid smiled at the invisible Hermione. “Good job! Dobby’ll take him now.” To McNair, Hagrid remarked genially, “I’m sure you’ll receive a warm welcome back in Azkaban. Oh... and Buckbeak sends his regards!”

McNair gave Hagrid a look mixed with loathing and fear.

Dobby bowed low to Hermione, apparently able to see her quite clearly. Without another word, Dobby grabbed hold of a length of the rope binding McNair, and with another CRACK!, they both Disapparated.

****

In spite of the many times he’d watched them in practice, Harry was filled with pride and delight at the sight of the DA distracting, separating and entrapping each of the Death Eaters, pulling them farther and farther away from the smaller circle of standing stones.

Ron succeeded in casting an Insect Jinx, which felled Goyle Senior. As the older Death Eater tried to scurry away on his little insect legs, Bill had appeared to bind him up, and his elf transported Goyle to the wizard prison.

Luna was in control of one of the unknown Death Eaters, whom she had hovering above the ground while his legs twitched uncontrollably in response to her Tarantallegra spell. Tonks and her elf appeared and, a moment later, another Death Eater was quickly immobilized and dispatched.

Avery was startled as Susan cast a spell that caused the earth to sink beneath his feet, until he was trapped in a ten-foot hole in the ground. She extricated his wand and skilfully kept him in the hole until Mad-Eye Moody appeared with an elf at his side to escort him to Azkaban.

Harry saw two of the infamous Weasley’s Wildfire Whiz Bangs erupt from Ginny’s wand. Fiery unicorns circled around, causing small explosions to erupt from their feet. Sparks flew and attacked a surprised Death Eater so violently that he could do nothing but drop to the ground and cover his head. Harry breathed a sigh of relief when Arthur appeared to finish him off.

****

“Neville... GO!

Neville raised his wand over his head. “Incendio!” he shouted. A huge flame erupted into the air, and, in the bright light, he caught a glimpse of a Death Eater standing alone some distance away. It illuminated a woman with long, dark hair who was screaming into the night air, not realising she was alone.

“It’s a trap, you idiots! Where are you?” When she tried to Disapparate, she screamed even louder as the spell failed. Then, she stopped and focused her gaze exactly at the place where Neville stood, still invisible. Neville watched in horror as the enraged woman ran directly towards him.

Neville felt his heart thumping wildly in his chest, but he also felt the heat of anger, pain and loss rising up within him. Trying to steady himself, waiting until she got close enough, Neville pointed his wand directly at her and yelled, “STUPEFY!” Bellatrix Lestrange was tossed into the air and fell with a satisfying thud on the ground.

It only took a moment, however, before she was back on her feet, and continued to draw closer to Neville, her wand out, pointing it in various directions.

“Show yourself, you coward!” At that moment, Neville impulsively threw back his hood, revealing himself, recklessly ignoring Harry’s instructions.

“Neville, NO!” Neville heard Harry screaming from his mirror.

Neville was resolute as he fixed his eyes on the woman who had tortured his parents into madness. “Sorry, Harry. She’s mine. I’ve got her... I want her to see me do it.” He said this in a voice Harry had never heard him use before.

“Longbottom?” Bellatrix shrieked with laughter as she recognized him. “You are out past your bedtime, aren’t you? This is too precious! You’ve accomplished nothing” she spat. “The Dark Lord will not be stopped by a bunch of silly little schoolchildren!”

Ignoring her taunting words, Neville pulled a small willowy plant from a bag at his waist and Levitated it towards Bellatrix. It hovered for just a moment before the startled witch, and then it landed, directly at her feet. She looked at it and then at him.

“A plant, Longbottom? You’re attacking me with a ””

But Bellatrix never finished her question, for Neville’s little plant had suddenly sprouted hundreds of shoots that tenaciously fastened around her so tightly she was completely immobilized and barely able to breathe.

“Yes, a plant,” Neville replied calmly, never taking his eyes off her.

In that moment, Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared and ran to Neville’s side. He was still staring at Bellatrix and breathing hard.

“Are you all right?” Kingsley asked, both astonished and delighted at the sight before him.

Neville’s eyes glittered and he smiled. “I am now.”

****

The Death Eaters had all been captured, exactly as they had planned. But it wasn’t over. In the pause, all was quiet but for the sounds of voices rising up from the field below. Harry paused to gather his thoughts; waiting for what he knew was coming next. Then, a sharp, bitter-cold wind blew across the field and Harry felt a familiar icy chill go through him. He looked into his mirror again and called for Scrimgeour. The Minister of Magic appeared.

“The reinforcements... they’re coming,” Scrimgeour reported.

Sure enough, Harry could see, outlined in the moonlight, the shrouded forms of Dementors filling the night sky. In the next moment, hundreds of new Death Eaters Apparated to the field, as did the Ministry of Magic’s forces; mortal enemies poised to strike. Then, on an invisible downbeat, cries and screams and flashes of light filled the air. The Final Battle had begun.
Part 3 - When It's Over by Starmom
Author's Notes:
Harry takes an unplanned detour to find Ginny.
Part 3 - When It's Over


In another field, somewhat east of where the battle raged within the old standing stones, several open tents had been set up side by side, lit by torches atop staves set into the ground. Inside each tent were rows of stretchers, and anxious but determined Healers were already attending to injured wizards and witches.

Harry Apparated into the middle of these temporary shelters and ran from tent to tent looking for Ginny. He hadn't meant to come here; he didn't have much time, but it was Dumbledore, in his final gift, who had said, "Harry, in the last, the answer will be known when you listen to your heart. Your instincts will not fail you." Well, Harry trusted his instincts when they told him that he had to find Ginny. Now.

Harry walked into one of the tents and, as he looked around, felt the touch of someone's hand. Startled, Harry instinctively spun around, his wand out in an instant. He regretted it immediately when he saw that the owner of the hand was a young wizard - not much older than he was - lying on a cot beside him. The boy's face and torso had been slashed, and while the bleeding had been staunched, he was still covered in blood and breathing unevenly, in obvious pain.

"Sorry, mate," Harry mumbled, tucking his wand away, embarrassed.

"It's OK... I shouldn't have snuck up on ye like that. Stupid of me. Good way to get yer hand blasted off!" the wizard replied with a weak smile. "Never thought I'd actually get to meet ye, Mr. Potter! Me mum will be so excited to hear it! She's always bin a big fan a yours." The young man winced and sighed. "It's a bloody bother me endin' up here so soon! There's such an awful lot of them out there... I should be out helping!"

Harry felt his throat tighten as he knelt down by the cot. "What's your name, sir?"

"Walfrec Jones," the young man replied. "Just finished me training with the Magical Law Enforcement Squad. This is -- was -- me first assignment." He caught his breath and grimaced for a moment before being able to breathe again.

Once again, Harry felt awkward, like he needed to say something useful. "Mr. Jones ”"

"Oh, you can call me Wally. The other name's the one me granddad uses," Wally said with a crooked smile.

"Wally. Right. Well, the Healers here are St. Mungo's best, and I know they'll fix you up right quick. You'll probably be back out there in no time, tossing dozens of Death Eaters into Azkaban tonight!"

Watching Wally struggling to breathe, Harry doubted the boy would be going anywhere. If he were one of the lucky ones, perhaps Wally would be able to go home, see his mum and tell her the story of meeting the 'famous Harry Potter’. Harry hoped so.

When this was over. Harry suddenly remembered the reason he had come and stood up. "You take care of yourself, Wally."

"You too, Harry. Give You-Know-Who hell from all of us!"

"Harry!"

A blur of dragon hide and red hair attacked Harry from the side, nearly knocking him off his feet.

"Ginny?" Harry turned and his heart leapt at the sight of her. Without a second thought he took her up in his arms and kissed her with relief.

"Blimey, Harry!" Wally laughed at the sight of the two of them caught up in each other’s embrace. "And I thought I might have a shot with this lovely red-haired angel! I guess I'm out of luck!"

"Goodbye, Wally!" Harry waved as he pulled Ginny out of the tent and drew her away from the infirmary.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked, once they were truly alone.

"I'm fine, Harry! Did you see it?" Ginny laughed and grabbed his hands; the energy of her excitement nearly lifting him off the ground. "It was amazing! I almost felt sorry for the poor bloke. He never knew what hit him!"

"I did see, Ginny," Harry said, touching her face gently. "You ” all of you ” were perfect! I wish…."

"Wish what?"

"That Dumbledore were here to see this." Harry shook his head as if to clear away the ache that he felt every time he recalled the absence of the headmaster.

"Harry," Ginny said gently, pulling him down to sit on the wet grass beside her, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, "he IS here. You know? I feel it, don't you?"

They sat in silence for a moment. Harry sighed. "Yeah, I guess I do, Ginny." He turned and looked at her with a gaze so intense that Ginny drew in a sharp breath. Harry took her hands in his. His heart was so full at that moment; he felt he'd burst.

"There is so much that I feel, Ginny. That's why I had to see you before ” before joining the others."

Ginny waited patiently, her eyes so bright that he felt emboldened to continue.

"I love you, Ginevra Weasley. I'm grateful for every moment we've ever had together." His feelings and his words seemed to flow from him like a dam burst open. "From the first time I met you and you ran out of the kitchen, flustered and embarrassed. Watching you playing Quidditch with your brothers at the Burrow. Seeing the love in your eyes ” the way you see me ” after I've kissed you. Your fierce determination when you defend the ones you love. Every moment with you has made me so happy. So, whatever happens tonight, I want you to know that. I want you to always believe in yourself ” that you are the most amazing person. You bring light and hope into the world, Ginny. I want you to always be the vibrant woman that you are right now."

Harry stopped as he watched Ginny's smile fade and her eyes fill with fear. She stood up and Harry scrambled to his feet after her.

"Ginny, I.... What's wrong?" Harry, who had never opened himself up before in this way, was stricken and confused by her reaction. Then, instantly replaying his words, he heard them as she must have heard them. He cursed himself for being such a fool.

"What are you planning, Harry Potter?" Ginny spat, her fury clearly growing. "Why are you saying all this to me? Now? Tonight? With all this," Ginny pointed towards the fighting, "going on?"

"Ginny, I'm sorry... I only meant...." Harry sputtered, wishing he could take it all back.

"You only meant, what? To tell me that you love me and, oh, by the way, have a happy life after you're DEAD?" Ginny screamed and threw herself at him, tears flowing down her face as she pummelled him with her fists. "TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE PLANNING TO DO!"

"Ginny, stop!" Harry tried to restrain her, with some difficulty. "Ginny, please! Okay, I'll tell you. Please stop!"

Like a sail with the wind gone out, Ginny collapsed against him. He put his arms around her, and tried to restrain the stinging he felt in his own eyes. She stepped away, breathing hard, struggling to regain some composure.

"All right, spill it," she challenged him, locking her eyes directly onto his, practically daring him to lie to her. It looked to Harry as if she might be trying out some newfound skill in Legilimency.

Harry's heart was beating so hard, the pounding in his ears so loud, he felt sure she could hear it. He took a deep breath, tried to clear his mind (just in case) and looked at her with all the seriousness he could muster, hoping fervently she would believe him.

"You know how we pulled the Death Eaters away from the smaller stone circle, the place where we first saw them around the fire? I promised Scrimgeour and Kingsley that, from this point forward, we’ll stay hidden in our robes and position ourselves in that circle. See, as the Death Eaters are captured, they'll be brought over to us and we’ll be able to help pack them off to Azkaban. The Minister doesn't want a bunch of kids ” especially those who aren't even of age ” to get hurt. So, this way we can still be useful but not be in the line of fire. We've already completed our main assignment, just as planned... to take out Voldemort’s senior soldiers."

Ginny didn't respond. Harry waited. They looked at each other, both uncertain, both feeling a bit awkward.

"Well, then," Ginny said finally, breaking her gaze. "I guess you'd better get on with it, then. The moon is setting soon and you're needed."

"Everything is going to be fine, Ginny. It will!" She didn't respond, and Harry felt his heart fall. "It will," he repeated. Finally, in the face of her disappointment, he turned and began to walk away.

"Harry!"

He turned and Ginny ran and threw her arms around his neck, holding him tightly. "I will always love you, Harry Potter," she whispered in his ear. She pulled back to draw him into a kiss so deep he thought he might drown in it. He drank in the taste and feel of her, to imprint her essence into his very being. After a long moment, they parted.

The knot that had lodged itself in the pit of his stomach had dissolved and Harry smiled, feeling enormously relieved.

"You know what, Weasley? You're quite a knockout in those dragon skins!" Even in the moonlight he could see her face begin to resemble the color of her hair, and, as she laughed, he turned and was gone in an instant.
Part 4 - Circular Magic by Starmom
Author's Notes:
The circle is prepared for the final confrontation.
Part 4 “ Circular Magic


Harry approached the northern stone circle, careful to remain invisible. It took every bit of willpower not to turn and join in the battle he saw, heard and smelled stampeding furiously on the field beyond where he stood. Unbidden, the faces of the remaining members of the Order of the Phoenix, now fighting for their lives, appeared in his mind’s eye.

Stop it! he admonished himself. Taking several deep breaths, he forcibly pushed those images aside to focus on what had to be done next.

He looked up at the ancient, battered stones that loomed overhead, and briefly thought about the magic that had set them there. He hoped that same magic would serve them well tonight. Moonlight cast a glow on the inside of the stone circle, its peaceful ambiance a sharp contrast with the chaos raging behind him. As Harry gazed into the circle, he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his robes, and reflexively reached for the picture of his mother that he carried there. He wasn’t sure why he’d put it into his pocket tonight. It just seemed right that she should be with him. He took it out, and there was his mum smiling, her loving gaze meeting his eyes, as if she had meant the picture to be seen by him alone. He turned it over to read the message she had written.

‘Remember, dear Harry, I’ll always be there for you “ just look deep within. With love.’

He turned it over again to look at the mother he'd only seen in photographs, in a reflection of his heart's desire, and in a ghostly image, and returned her smile. He felt grateful for the simple gift she had left him, as if she had known what would happen. Harry was still astonished that his Aunt Petunia had saved it all these years, and even more amazed that she had thought to give it to him before he left Privet Drive.

***

As he stepped into the stone circle itself, Harry was taken aback. Although it was part of the plan, it was still a bit of a shock to move from what appeared on the outside to be a quiet empty space into the middle of a bustling hive of energy and activity.

“Harry!” Ron shouted as he bounded over, flushed with the energy of winning the first battle, not unlike the look Harry had just seen on Ginny’s face. “Where have you been? Hermione was getting a bit worried about you!”

“I was not, Ron,” Hermione retorted defensively, not taking her eyes off the enchantments she was weaving in the large circle around the fallen stone. “You were the one who was worried. Harry probably just went to look in on Ginny.”

Harry shook his head in wonder. How does she do that?

A dark look crossed Ron’s face. “Ginny? How is she? Is she all right?”

“She’s fine, Ron, don’t worry,” Harry reassured him. “I just wanted to... talk to her for a moment.”

“Talk, eh?” Ron remarked, with a snigger and a sideways glance.

Hermione had finished her spell and rescued Harry from further interrogation by Ron, taking him by the arm and crossed to the middle of the circle. “What do you think?” she asked, with a sweeping gesture.

Harry stood quietly for a moment, taking it all in. “Hermione, it’s amazing!” Just behind the standing stones, he could see a light grey cloud that rose up from the ground, reaching up to the tops of the stones, encircling and obscuring all sights and sounds from the battlefield beyond. Just in front of the stones, torches had been lit and were hovering several feet above the ground. Looking up, stars flickered overhead. Harry’s eyes were immediately drawn to the constellation of Canis Major, and he smiled as it winked at him. The warmth of the torchlight, the protective enclosure, and the glinting stars above, was exactly right. He took Hermione’s hand in his with admiration. “Brilliant. Really, truly brilliant!”

“Susan helped me on the charm for the circle barrier,” Hermione explained as Susan walked towards them.

“Anyone looking in from the outside,” Susan added, brushing some dirt off her hands, “will only see the stones and nothing inside the circle itself. I added a modified Confundus Charm so that if anyone, other than one of us, comes near it, they’ll suddenly remember that they’ve got to be somewhere else. No one will be coming in here ” not unless we want them to.” Susan paused as a look of foreboding stole across her face.

Harry put his arm round her shoulders and exchanged a glance with Hermione. “Excellent work, Susan. Really top notch! Show me more, okay?”

Hermione left Harry with Susan, and returned to her work charming more circles on the ground. Susan walked Harry over to Luna, who was using her wand to carve some intricate runes on the stones just below the torches.

“Hi, Harry. Nice, isn’t it?” she said as she looked around and nodded in appreciation, as if they were preparing for an evening garden party. “I think it’s quite lovely!”

“Looks like you’ve got those runes just right, Luna,” Harry said encouragingly.

“Yes,” said Luna. “I think they’ll do the job!” Without another word, she turned back to her runes.

Susan left Harry and to help Hermione complete the spells. Harry, glanced at his school mates, and then suddenly realised that someone was missing.

“Neville!” Harry looked around the circle in a panic. “Where’s Neville?” Everyone stopped for a moment and realised, for the first time, that he wasn’t there. Harry thought of Neville’s recklessness in facing Bellatrix Lestrange and started to worry in earnest.

Ron walked over to Harry, looking both concerned and confused. “He must be okay, Harry. We know that he brought Ginny to mum like we planned.”

As if on cue, there was a swirl and a pop! and Neville appeared in the middle of the circle, startling everyone. He had clearly lost his robes, and his hair, face, hands and tunic were filthy with dirt and blood. He was breathing rapidly, adrenaline pumping through his body and his eyes looked bright and, Harry noted, a bit wild. As he stepped forward, he lost his balance and fell on his knee. Luna got to him first and pulled him up as everyone gathered around.

“Neville!”

“Are you all right?”

“Where were you?”

“Are you hurt?”

“You’re a right mess!”

Harry took Neville’s other arm, Conjured up a camp chair and helped him to sit down on it. “You were a real prat to pull that trick with Lestrange,” Harry chided. The others looked confused and Neville looked at Harry a bit sheepishly, his breath slowly coming back to normal. “But,” Harry added, “you were bloody brilliant and I’m glad you gave her what was coming to her!”

“It was, wasn’t it!” Neville smiled proudly, relieved that Harry wasn’t mad. “I did it for both of us, Harry.”

“But, what happened after you brought Ginny to the infirmary, Neville?” Ron asked.

Neville looked around and blinked a bit nervously at all the eyes on him. His expression wavered, as if he wasn’t used to being the centre of attention for a positive reason, but then decided he rather liked it.

“Well,” he began slowly, “I brought Ginny to her mum and was on my way here, when I saw a pack of three Death Eaters fighting one of ours. The Auror needed a hand, so... I gave him one!” Neville was picking up steam now. “It was great! Every spell I used hit them dead on target. We had them on the run and we gave chase... except then we ran straight into a knot of Dementors and, for a moment, I thought I was done for. But I remembered the expression on Lestranges’ face when she realized she was trapped, and I summoned up the most amazing Patronus! The Dementors just blew away and, well, I got caught up in the fighting until just a bit ago when I remembered....” Neville took a breath. “And, now I’m here,” he finished awkwardly.

There was no immediate response as they considered the astonishing image of Neville Longbottom as a Death Eater/Dementor fighting warrior. Then, in unison, they erupted in cheers, fists in the air. The boys grabbed Neville round the shoulder and the girls bestowed him with congratulatory kisses.

“Neville”” Harry started.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Neville interrupted, “I know I should have been here sooner. I was just being selfish, I reckon. I kept thinking of my gran and how she’d be proud of me for standing up to them. And when I was fighting them, it... felt right.”

“She’ll be enormously proud, Neville,” Harry said, smiling. “We're all proud of you, aren't we? The House of Gryffindor has a new hero!” They all cheered again and Neville felt his entire body blush.

“We’re still on schedule,” Harry reassured Neville. “You can help Ron with the pedestals. Can you stand?”

”I think so. Ron, can you give me a hand though?” Neville asked as he stood and wobbled a bit. Ron came forward to help him and, together, they began to Transfigure five bricks into tall, white marble pedestals in a semi-circle formation opposite to where the fallen stone lay.

Suddenly, there was another pop! and Draco Malfoy appeared near the stone slab, carrying a very large and awkwardly shaped pack on his back. Harry went over to help him.

“Were you seen?” Harry asked as he helped Malfoy place the pack on the ground.

“No. Everyone had been called here to fight, so Spinner’s End was left unguarded. I followed Snape’s instructions exactly and everything was where he said they’d be.” Malfoy pulled something from a pocket in his robes. “He asked me to give you this.”

He handed Harry a scroll of parchment. As he broke the seal and unrolled it, Harry immediately recognised the cramped, miniscule writing of his former Professor.

If you are reading this, it means that the Dark Lord has discovered the truth of my duplicity and I am dead. Anticipating this, I am providing you with what I hope will be some useful tools. The first is the fouled creature. Wake her carefully with the draught I’ve given Malfoy. I suggest that he administer the antidote since I doubt you’ll manage it properly on your own. Second, I return to you an old, lost ‘friend’. You’ll find him rather unhappy about his current accommodations, but he’ll do as he’s told, seeing as he has no choice. Finally, and for the very last time, I admonish you to control your emotions, Potter. While I predict abject failure on this last point, it still begs repeating. Master, control, and channel them and you may find a slim chance of coming out of this with your life intact.

Severus Snape


Harry looked up to see Malfoy smirking with his arms crossed. “Did the Professor offer up some words of wisdom?”

“Completely Snape, right up to the very end,” Harry sighed. “I still hate him, even after ”
in spite of knowing that Dumbledore was right about him all along.” He noticed that Malfoy was fidgeting. “Were you surprised?”

Malfoy nodded, staring at the ground. “I was furious,” he responded after a moment. “I wanted to expose him immediately, but he wouldn’t let me out of his sight for weeks. Then, he saved my life after... V”Voldemort killed my parents.” Malfoy sighed deeply. “I was a fool to believe....” He pushed aside the long, blonde hair that covered his face and raised his head to meet Harry’s eyes. “I’ve wished ” over and over” that I had listened to Dumbledore up on that tower. They would still be alive if I had. I can’t tell you how much I regret....”

Harry shrugged. “We all do the best we can, Malfoy, and there isn’t time to dwell on regrets, is there? We can only hope that we make better choices the next chance we get. You’ve already done that.”

Malfoy squirmed at Harry’s approbation and scowled. “Don’t go all Dumbledore on me now, Potter!”

Harry laughed at this improbable image and, turning to one of the bundles that Malfoy brought said, “Shall we let the rat out of the bag?”

Malfoy reached into one of the packs and pulled out a small cage containing a very scrawny, nervous rat, and handed it to Harry.

“Hello, Pettigrew!” Harry said, looking into the cage. “I rather like seeing you all boxed up like this. But, don’t worry ” you’ll be out in just a bit. I’ve got an important job for you!” The rat seemed to shiver violently as Harry set the cage down on the stone slab. Harry noticed he was shaking a bit himself, and recognised it as the old anger he felt whenever he thought of Pettigrew betraying his parents. Then, glancing back at the pathetic rodent cowering in the cage, the anger dissipated as quickly as it had come. In a blink, he saw Pettigrew for what he was: a truly sad and desperate creature.

***

It had gone quiet. Each of them took their places between the standing stones as they watched Hermione, their hearts beating rapidly in hopeful anticipation. The brown-haired witch, the one who had conceived the plan they all prayed would work, stood in the middle of the great circle. Positioned between the remnants of the fire pit and the fallen stone, Hermione Granger reached within to summon her magic to seal the overlapping circle enchantments.

Hermione pointed her wand a few feet away from where she stood and spoke out in a clear and ringing voice.

“The first circle to restrain at will ” Prohibeo!

A small glow ignited in the grass where she pointed and their eyes followed the light of a small fire as it spread and moved rapidly to surround both the fire pit and the fallen standing stone, until its end met its beginning and a bright glow illuminated Hermione’s face.

“The second circle to protect and defend ” Munimentum!

She pointed her wand to a spot, several feet behind the fallen stone and the light sparked, its flame meandering until the slab was completely encircled.

She turned in the opposite direction. “The third circle to offer release ” Solutum!

A third, somewhat larger circle of light took flight, this time encompassing the marble pedestals behind the fire pit, around to the fallen slab on the opposite side until it completed its journey to the place where it began.

With the circle enchantments complete, Hermione concentrated her gaze next on the runes that Luna had etched into the ancient stones. Holding out her wand and, with a sound that hardly seemed like it could come from a human being, Hermione uttered an incantation in a language they did not know. They watched with amazement as she slowly turned from stone to stone to stone.

Harry marvelled at the awesome energy emanating from Hermione. She seemed almost larger than life, transforming before their eyes from a schoolgirl, to the powerful witch who stood before them invoking the ancient Magic of the stone circle.

As she finished, she stood silently, her arms raised and eyes closed. Slowly, the etched runes slowly emerged from the stones to take on a solid, fully dimensional form. With a final flick of her wand, a vibrating beam of light emanated from each rune, and shot out across the circle to seek its opposite. One by one, beams of light crossed through the circle and, all meeting at the centre, passed right through Hermione’s body.

They held their collective breath. Hermione seemed suspended in the cross beams for what seemed like forever. Finally, slowly, Hermione opened her eyes and lowered her arms. She stepped away from the light, which faded slightly, but did not disappear. She walked a bit shakily towards Ron, who caught her just as her knees buckled. He gathered her up gently and held her close. Harry could only see, but not hear, the words Ron was whispering in her ear and Hermione nodding in return. But his heart was full and glad, seeing them together and knowing that their love would always sustain them.

***

They gathered around the marble pedestals, and carefully unwrapped the packages they had brought, safely hidden in their tunics.

Opening up his package, Neville pulled out a blackened wand. He looked at it wistfully, turning it over in his hand. “Sad,” he sighed. “It was a really good wand, too. Best I ever had. I wonder how it ever came to choose me, though?” he wondered. Suddenly deciding something, Neville turned to Luna and held out the wand to her. “Here, Luna. You’re a Ravenclaw. By rights, you should do it.”

For some reason, Luna blushed as though he were handing her flowers instead of an object that had once held part of Voldemort’s soul. Taking it from him, she gazed at him with large and happy eyes. “Thank you Neville! That’s so thoughtful!” Then she threw her arms around him, engulfing him in a bear hug. When she let go, Neville stammered something unintelligible and, taking a step backwards, stumbled on his robes.

Harry called them to begin and, one by one, they each stepped forward to place their object on a separate pedestal.

Malfoy placed a ravaged, black book;

Ron, a large ring with a cracked black stone;

Hermione, a necklace with a broken, gold locket;

Luna, the blackened wand; and

Susan, two broken pieces of a single cup.

When the objects were placed, Harry stepped forward and waved his wand in a broad arc that encompassed all the objects. “Die anima in umbra!” he cried.

At first, nothing happened and Harry worried he’d done the spell wrong. He was about to ask Hermione for help when he heard a high-pitched sound, rather like someone screaming far, far away. They all stepped back nervously as the objects began to vibrate and slowly rise into the air, hovering just above their respective pedestals. As the sound and vibration increased, and when it reached a certain peak, a fine, gold dust emerged from each object. Only when the shimmering dust had completely enveloped the destroyed Horcruxes did the sound and vibration desist.

Harry’s breathing picked up speed as he watched the objects glowing above him. “Right. Well. Getting close, now.” He licked his lips which had gone dry, and turned to Ron. “All together now?” Ron nodded and motioned to the group to gather.

While Ron set everyone to stand in their place behind the fallen stone, taking care to keep within Hermione’s enchanted circle, Harry picked up the terrified rat in his cage and opened it. Keeping his wand trained on the rodent, it emerged tentatively from the cage. Stepping onto the grass, it transformed itself back into its human form as Peter Pettigrew. Pettigrew’s watery eyes took in the scene around him, and he fell to his knees before Harry, whimpering softly.

“Stand up, Pettigrew. I can’t bear you grovelling like that,” Harry prodded him with his foot in disgust. “Get up now!” He had to physically pull Pettigrew to his feet, even though the touch of him was revolting.

“Thank you, Harry. Thank you! I’m so grateful for all your kindnesses and willingness to help me after all I’ve ” what’s happened! You’re a great wizard ””

“Shut it, Pettigrew. Just listen!”

Pettigrew returned to whimpering and waited for instructions, something at which he’d become fairly adept at.

“When I signal, you’re to return directly to Voldemort and tell him the truth. Tell him it was me who foiled his plan to take over Hogwarts and tossed his Death Eaters back into Azkaban. And, remember this part especially, ask him if he’s noticed that one of his pets is missing. Understand?”

Although it didn’t seem possible that Pettigrew could turn any paler, his face became positively white with terror.

“You want me to go back... to him?! Oh, no, Harry... I can’t! He’ll kill me on the spot! No, please, anything else!” Pettigrew pleaded as he shook from head to toe.

“Sorry,” said Harry calmly, feeling only mild pity. “That’s the only way I will accept your debt to me as paid. It’s true, he may kill you, but that’s the chance you’ll have to take, isn’t it? If it’s any comfort,” Harry offered consolingly, “I have a feeling he’ll be too angry with me to pay you any mind and, if you’re lucky, you’ll have a chance to run away to live the rest of your life in peace as the rodent that you are.”

Pettigrew was trapped and he knew it. “No Hogwarts... Azkaban... missing pet....” Still shivering, he nodded to Harry in assent.

“Good! That’s settled then. Stand there, Pettigrew, next to Susan.” Harry turned to Susan who was positioned at the end of their semi-circle. “Keep a wand on him.” She did.

Malfoy was dragging out the largest of the bags and Harry helped him place it onto the fallen stone. Sensing an increasing anxiety emanating from his friends, Harry paused and faced them.

“Listen,” he began, “while it’s best if we do this together, I won’t force any of you to go on. I can’t ask it of you ” you have to decide for yourselves. If you feel you can’t stay, it’s all right. No one will think any the worse of you for going.” Harry looked at each one of them. No one spoke, but, instead, they took out their wands and drew closer together so that their shoulders touched.

“Thanks,” said Harry, with a sigh of relief and gratitude. He paused for a moment before continuing. “There’s one last thing that I need you to do. If the time comes, and I give you the signal, I want ALL of you to Apparate outside the circle immediately. Stay invisible and don't do anything until you hear from me.” He saw them start to protest, as he expected they would, but he held firm. “No questions. No dissent. ALL of you.” He looked particularly hard at Ron and Hermione, both of whom were squirming. “I need you to give me your promise. Will you?”

Hermione was in a panic. "You can’t make me promise that! You can't do it alone! Please Harry, let us help!"

"You know I have to, Hermione," Harry said gently, knowing how hard this was for her. But he wasn’t giving in. He held her eyes until she relented.

"I ” I promise, Harry," Hermione sputtered, looking away.

Only when the last of them had promised did Harry visibly relax. He turned back to Malfoy and together, holding the end of the bag, tipped it up. Slowly, the inert figure of the serpent Nagini fell out onto the length of the fallen stone. The others, who had never seen a beast the size of the one they were about to face, gasped.

“Is it dead?” asked Luna curiously, the only one of them who didn’t appear at all concerned.

Malfoy pulled out a phial from his robes. “No. She’s just having a nice, long sleep.”

Hermione’s eyes widened. “The Draught of Living Death?”

“Ten points for Gryffindor,” remarked Malfoy slyly, tipping the contents of the phial into the massive jaws of the snake.

Harry walked over to the end of the stone, standing over the snake’s head.

“I’m ready.”

Hermione opened the drawstring at the top of a deep maroon velvet bag. Ron reached inside of it and pulled out a long, silver sword, encrusted with enormous rubies in its handle. He held the weapon before the group, and each one of them touched the sharp edge, drawing a small drop of blood to stain the blade. When they had finished, Ron handed the sword to Harry who added his blood as well. Ron stepped back into place.

Holding Gryffindor’s sword over Nagini’s head, Harry looked swiftly at Peter Pettigrew and said, “Go now!” The man who had once been his father’s friend and betrayer, blinked once, turned and was gone.

Malfoy touched his wand to the snake’s body and cast the counter charm. “Reficio!” Then he stepped back to join the others in their protected circle.

They all raised their wands, pointing at Nagini, steadied their breath and waited.

Slowly, the snake’s body began to rouse. Its giant head which, still groggy, slowly rose and swayed above the stone, and stopped moving as it made eye contact with Harry. Harry spoke to it, although no one but Nagini could understand the words.

“I ask for your forgiveness, Nagini. I want to take the soul that is not yours. Will you give it?”

“Take it from me. Free me.”
The giant serpent gently lowered her head but continued to hold Harry's eyes. Waiting.

Harry steadied himself, looking deeply into the dark pools of Nagini's black eyes. Quickly, then, with both hands, he brought the sword down across the length of the snake, cleaving it in two.

In that instant, Harry’s scar seared in excruciating pain, his head nearly bursting. He screamed and fell back, the sword falling to the ground. His friends fought the urge to help Harry, and maintained their position, wands to the snake. After a moment, the pain began to ebb and Harry clutched his forehead, panting in the aftermath of the attack.

“All right, mate?” Ron whispered to Harry.

Harry got to his feet. “I’m fine... stay ready.” He then joined his friends, standing directly in the middle, their combined magic giving him strength on both sides. Making sure they were touching, shoulder to shoulder, they all looked straight ahead and waited.

They didn’t have to wait long. The embers of the Death Eater’s fire began to stir, and a shape like an Ashwinder, with glowing red eyes, began to emerge from the pit, circling itself. The dark figure began to expand and grow, swirling faster and faster like a black storm erupting until it stopped, fully formed. Lord Voldemort turned out of the pit and stepped into the middle of the standing stones, a look of fury in his horrible red eyes.
Part 5 - Simple Gifts by Starmom
Author's Notes:
The final confrontation.
Part 5 “ Simple Gifts


Veterrimus animi, imploratio
Ancient spirits, we call upon you


“Potter!” Voldemort hissed, ignoring the spell being cast by the students of Hogwarts standing before him. Voldemort raised his wand and, keeping his eyes on Harry, started to move towards him, but found himself suddenly blocked by Hermione’s enchanted circle.

Emitte lucen et veritatem
Send out light and truth


In the next moment, the criss-crossed beams of light emanating from the runes flared to full force, trapping Voldemort in the middle of the circle.

The young wizards’ chant grew stronger as they kept their focus and their wands on Nagini’s dead body.

Hoc serpens dimidus, fecit invidum
This serpent, created in hate


Voldemort pointed his wand and cast a Blasting Curse at the barrier, which had no effect.

Anima liberatio et rederre ab amor.
Its soul release and return with love.


He watched as the slain body of Nagini transform into two snakes. They each slithered off the fallen stone and moved rapidly towards Voldemort’s feet.

Fortier in re, lux lucis
Resolutely in action, choose light


Voldemort’s eyes widened, as he began to understand the power of the magic being invoked.

Amor lucis, amor est vitae essentia
Choose love, for love is the essence of life.


On either side of Voldemort, the two snakes encircled his body, rising up. He was unable to stop their progress as they twisted around him, binding and holding him fast, until their heads faced each other above his own.

Pulvis et umbra
We are but dust and shadow


Harry waved his wand in a broad circle over the snakes’ heads and completed the spell with a great snap of his wrist.

Die anima in umbra “ rederre!
From spirit to dust “ return!


A golden dust exploded from each snake’s mouth and swirled upwards in a spiral arc, getting wider and wider until it touched the same gold dust that still encircled the destroyed Horcruxes and caught it up in the winding vortex. The combined swirls of glittering dust flew up in a single, sudden stream of light, high into the air like a comet’s tail. Suddenly, the dust cloud turned direction and, aiming straight for Voldemort, shot itself down with a tremendous force, completely encasing him in its light.

For a moment, Harry couldn’t see Voldemort at all. Then, in a flash, the dust, the Horcruxes containers, and the snakes were gone.

The students gasped at the sight of the most evil wizard of their time. His hood blown back, he seemed smaller and, for a moment, frail. As Voldemort raised his head, his face seemed withered... old. And his eyes ” were blue.

Then Voldemort laughed. That horrible, high-pitched cruel laugh. “THIS was your plan, Potter? To return to me the remnants of my soul?” Harry wasn’t sure how to read the expression in Voldemort’s eyes, which still bore into him like a knife.

“Very clever to render me back my mortality. So, I suppose you now think you can kill me? A few eager schoolchildren took a few lessons in ancient magic and you believe I am ” what did the prophecy say? -- ‘vanquished’?” He raised his wand into the air and shouted, “Morsmordre!” A weakened Dark Mark shot into the air, but quickly lost its form and evaporated.

Seeing the look of surprise in Voldemort’s face, Harry stepped forward. “They’re not coming,” he remarked calmly. “Not tonight. Not ever. You’re alone.”

“Expelliarmus!” Voldemort’s wand flew out of his hand and Draco Malfoy caught it deftly, and tossed it to Harry.

Voldemort looked sharply at his former young servant as if seeing him for the first time. “Malfoy. A traitor as well, are you? You’ll be happy to join your worthless parents ””

“Enough,” Harry interrupted. The other students struggled to contain their astonishment that they had actually done this thing. And that they were still alive and facing the Dark Lord.

“No, I don’t believe I could kill you,” Harry admitted. “But, I don’t actually need to, do I? Your followers are gone and, with the Horcruxes destroyed, you’re just as mortal as the rest of us. No, I think your fate is worse than death. To live alone, powerless, watching the rest of your life slip away. In just a moment, the Aurors will be here to take you to Azkaban and bring you the justice you deserve. It’s all over, Tom.”

Harry pulled out his mirror and looking into it called, “Kingsley!” He could hear but not see Kingsley reply for, in that same moment, Voldemort spied Gryffindor’s sword on the ground and raised his hand towards it. Harry, his heart turning to ice, was unable to stop the sword from flying into Voldemort’s grip and, in one movement, swing it in a circle with a spell that shattered the beams of light that entrapped him. Voldemort stepped out of the circle of restraint and eyed his wand in Harry’s hand.

“GO! NOW!” Harry screamed to his friends. They seemed uncertain for a moment, then turned and vanished.

“I’ll take my wand back now, Potter!” Voldemort spat and, raising his hand slightly, caught his wand easily as it flew from Harry’s hand to his. “I think that makes it more ‘fair’,” he said with emphasis on the last word. “I believe ‘fairness’ is something important to you, isn’t it?”

Harry and Voldemort circled each other, wands out. Harry was thinking fast, his heart pounding. All this planning was going to be thwarted by this one, stupid mistake! While uncertain what to do next, he knew he wasn’t going to leave without a fight. He would not let Voldemort get away, not after all this! Maybe the others would alert Kingsley and the Aurors could still get here quickly ” except hadn’t he told them to stay invisible and ‘do nothing’? Harry sighed. Of course, they would listen to what he'd said.

“It is not over yet ” not for me, at least,” Voldemort remarked as he and Harry kept their wands trained on the other. “I disagree, Potter, There is nothing worse than death.” Voldemort stopped and a horrid smile crossed his now-weathered face. “I actually need to thank you, Potter! You’ve given me a very useful gift. Probably just enough of my soul back to create one more Horcrux.”

Voldemort moved his gaze down to Harry’s hand. “Yes, your wand. It has given me a great deal of trouble, so I think it will do quite nicely for my purposes.” He pointed his wand towards Harry. “Accio””

Two blasting spells caught Voldemort from behind and tossed him into the air. He landed with a crash, skidding across the grass.

Harry was stunned to see Ron and Hermione emerging from their invisibility robes, standing on the opposite side of the circle, their wands trained steadily on Voldemort, who was quickly back on his feet.

“Sorry, Harry,” said Ron matter-of-factly. “We had to break that promise.”

“There was no way we were going to let you face this monster on your own, Harry,” Hermione added, more determined than Harry had ever seen her.

“Split up!” Harry yelled.

Ron disappeared. Then, just as he reappeared some distance from them both, Voldemort shot a spell at Hermione. It must have meant to slash her, but it was repelled by her dragon skin tunic.

Ron gasped. “I owe you one, Charlie!”

Voldemort, although surrounded, appeared unruffled as he took in the three of them calmly. “My reflexes may have slowed a bit, but even three of you are no match!”

Curses and counter-curses erupted amid the standing stones, but none of them seemed to find their targets. Harry wondered how long they could withstand even a weakened Voldemort until help arrived.

Help!

“Hermione!” Harry called as he deflected another one of Voldemort’s spells. “Call Kingsley!”

Nodding, Hermione took out her mirror, but Voldemort saw it. In a flash, Hermione’s mirror was flying out of her hand, and Harry’s and Ron’s mirrors were pulled off their necks so violently that the silk strings cut into their skin. They looked up to see Voldemort destroy the mirrors with a simple flick of his wand.

With a look from Harry, the three of them shouted, “Incarcerous!” Strands of ropes flew from their wands, wrapping Voldemort tightly from head to toe.

Voldemort laughed as if crazed, and Harry was stunned to see the ropes melt away, like ice turning into flowing water.

Harry tried to control his panic and only just missed Voldemort’s killing curse, feeling the sting in the air by his face as he rolled out of its way. He looked up to see Voldemort turning to avoid an attack of ravens that were suddenly pelting down upon him. Hermione was holding her wand to direct the birds in their attack on Voldemort, sharp beaks slicing at him, one after the other. This stopped only when Voldemort’s wand cut through the air and the birds all dropped to the ground, their heads severed from their bodies. Voldemort put his hand to his face and looked momentarily shocked to see the sight of his own blood.

In that moment, Ron trained his wand upon the now-empty marble pedestals, and with a spoken spell, they leapt off the ground and landed solidly in a tight circle around Voldemort, rendering him immobile. Hermione followed with a spell that sealed the spaces between the pedestals so that they formed a solid wall. Harry let out a breath of relief for the first time. They were safe.

He stepped forward to cast a final spell. “It’s over now, Tom.” Harry raised his wand. “Petrificus””

“Harry, where are you?”

Harry, Ron and Hermione spun around and gasped to see Ginny running through the grey mist barrier, stopping suddenly in shock as she took in the scene before her. Then, Draco Malfoy stumbled into the circle as well, clearly in pursuit of the youngest Weasley.

Harry's heart sank to his knees to see her there. "No, Ginny!"

"What ” what is this...?" Ginny could barely speak, her eyes widening in horror.

“I’m sorry, Potter!” Malfoy stammered, out of breath. “I tried to stop her, but she hexed me.”

In that moment, an explosion of stone and debris rained down on them all. A large, sharp-edged stone hit Ron, who fell to the ground with a cry, holding his side. Hermione ran to him and tried to help staunch the blood that began to seep out. Voldemort had blasted his prison into dust.

Malfoy reached Ginny and tried to pull her out of the circle, but a Stunning curse threw him backwards into the air. There was a terrible crunching noise as his head hit one of the standing stones, and Malfoy fell unconscious to the ground.

Harry ran to Ginny, picking her up from the ground where she’d fallen. As he turned to Disapparate with her out of the circle, Voldemort sent another Stunning spell that blasted them apart. Harry hit his head on one of the broken marble stones and nearly blacked out. Trying to ignore the sharp pain from the blow to the back of his head, Harry slowly got to his knees, feeling around for his wand. He shook his head, trying to clear his vision and, when it did, he saw ” and felt ” several terrible things all at once.

First, he found himself go rigid, completely immobilized on his knees. In front of him, on the fallen stone, still covered with Nagini’s blood, was Ginny, bound in chains and weeping silently. Hovering in the air to his left, still within his sight, were Ron and Hermione ” trapped inside what looked like a giant, clear bubble. He saw Hermione holding Ron, still in obvious pain from his wound, both of them clearly terrified. He could see Hermione trying to talk to him, but no sound came from their transparent prison.

And to his right, looking amused as he surveyed the scene was Voldemort, holding two wands, flicking them casually. One of them was Harry’s.

“Well! This has been so enjoyable, Potter! It’s so nice to have all your friends and loved ones,” he said eyeing Ginny, “gathered together to say goodbye. So touching!”

Harry, unable to speak, looked imploringly at Ginny.

“I’m so s-sorry, Harry. If you had only told me!” Ginny cried.

Voldemort stood directly in front of Harry, blocking Ginny from his view. “I don’t usually indulge in play, Potter. It’s a waste of my time. But since you’ve gone to so much trouble on my behalf tonight, why don’t I return the favor?”

Voldemort walked over to the enclosure that held Hermione and Ron and touched it gently with his wand. Harry heard a slow and high-pitched hiss and saw Hermione turn suddenly and feel around the surface of the bubble. He saw panic fill her eyes and understood that the sound was of air escaping.

“I thought you might enjoy a little entertainment before you go!” Voldemort turned to Ginny and with a swish of his wand, the chains binding her disappeared. She didn’t move, keeping her eyes on Voldemort, uncertain how to react. She was stunned when Voldemort reached into his robe and pulled out a wand and looked at it.

“I believe this one is yours, is it not?” He tossed it to Ginny, who stood to catch it. Harry saw her shaking and he tried, in vain, to will himself free of the binding spell. Ginny, sensing an opportunity, turned her wand on Harry.

“Finite Incantatem!”

But nothing happened. Harry remained immobilized and Voldemort laughed.

“Don’t be foolish, silly girl. I may be mortal, but I’m not stupid! We need our audience’s undivided attention. Come now,” he said sharply, “you have the unparallel opportunity to duel with the Dark Lord. Let us see if Hogwarts has taught you anything useful.”

Harry was horrified. Voldemort was going to play with her as a cat does a mouse before eating it. Even worse, he saw that familiar look on Ginny’s face that meant she was absolutely furious.

Ginny took a dueling stance, wand out and ready. Harry was astonished to see her make a small, graceful bow.

Voldemort laughed at this. “Excellent manners, my dear. Well done!”

Ginny immediately fired her spell at Voldemort. “STUPEFY!” Without moving at all, Voldemort easily deflected the spell and sighed.

“Come now, you can do better than that. How about something a bit stronger?” said Voldemort encouragingly as if he was trying to teach her some useful technique in class.

Ginny’s boldness seemed to fade a bit, but she looked to see Ron and Hermione, beginning to gasp for air, Malfoy on the ground, unconscious, blood dripping down his forehead and at Harry, whose eyes betrayed his anguish. Pulling herself together, she concentrated, staring at Voldemort with hate and fury in her eyes.

“CRUCIO!” she cried. A jet of light flew from her wand. It hit Voldemort, who merely brushed off his robe where the spell had made contact, as if some annoying insect had landed there.

“A very brave, but futile attempt. But I doubt whether you have the capacity to hate that that is required for the spell to work. Let me demonstrate....” Voldemort took aim at Ginny. “Crucio!” he uttered, almost casually.

Harry felt tears sting his eyes, watching helplessly as Ginny fell and screamed in the excruciating pain he knew she was enduring. After what seemed like ages, Voldemort released the spell and Ginny was left curled in a shaking ball, eyes tightly closed, trying to regain her breath.

He was going to take his time, Harry noted, bitterly. Fury filled ever fiber of his being as he watched his friends being hurt ” again ” all because of him. Again, he’d led them to their probable deaths. And this time, he thought with a terrible ache in his heart, Dumbledore wasn’t coming to rescue them. He could barely look at Hermione who, with her bare hands, was trying to rip apart the terrible trap she and Ron were in, her eyes wide and pleading, her breathing more labored.

Ginny had recovered and forced herself back onto her unsteady feet. Suddenly, with a mad dash, she sprinted to escape the stone circle. Harry winced as he saw Voldemort watch Ginny go, amused, letting her get close to escaping before he flicked his wand and sent her flying back to the fallen stone with a crash. And as she fell, there was a crack. Harry saw the stone split into two and swallow Ginny up to her waist. She struggled to get out and gasped as if she was being crushed. Voldemort laughed his horrible laugh again. Harry felt himself screaming in his head, but was no more able to give voice to his anguish than either Ron or Hermione.

Harry thought he was going to lose his mind as he listened to her screams and cries. He watched in total despair as Voldemort played with Ginny, casting innumerable hexes at her and repeatedly invoking the Cruciatus Curse. His mind and his frozen body struggled to make it stop, to have it cease, to break free. To do something! He heart veered erratically between fear, fury, terror and love. Harry screamed in his mind, Please! Help!

I admonish you to control your emotions, Potter. . . . Master, control, and channel them and you may find a slim chance of coming out of this with your life intact.


To the extent that he could even hear these words in his head, amidst Ginny’s heart-wrenching screams, took Harry by surprise. Slowly, with almost impossible effort he tried to control his breathing and to focus his mind. He imagined his feelings as strands of a rope, and, using every ounce of energy he could muster, he grabbed his fear, added his terror, and funneled his fury, gathering each of them together. Amazingly, Harry was able to experience each horrible emotion separately, yet hold onto them as one. As he did this, he felt the energy of them fill his body, which began to vibrate.

Remember, dear Harry, I’ll always be there for you ” just look deep within. With love.


Ginny was nearly unconscious, but she looked at Harry, sorrow writ onto her ravaged face. His added his overwhelming love for her to all the other feelings he was containing and it became the strongest of them all, fusing them together with a power Harry had never felt before. He glanced at Hermione and Ron, who were no longer struggling, looking at him intently. He saw Hermione nodding to him, eyes wide, as if she was reading his mind, encouraging him to do... what?

Harry looked back at Ginny and concentrated even harder, digging as deeply as he could to feel every bit of love he felt for them all. And in the moment he thought he had gone as deeply as he could, he felt a lightness rise up from within him. A shape emerged from his own body and, for some reason, Harry was not surprised to see that the shape was that of his mother. He watched Lily go to Ginny and hold her. Ginny seemed to relax in his mother’s arms, even in her pain. Harry didn’t think that Ginny could see her. But he could. Her green eyes and Ginny’s brown eyes both reached his own and the essence of the love they both had for him flowed back into him like a shot of pure energy. It filled him so completely that, this time, he found himself bursting free of the immobilizing spell with such a force that Voldemort was thrown back off his feet, taken completely by surprise.

Without a thought, Harry ran to Ginny and gently pulled her out of the stone entrapment. He heard Lily whisper in his ear, “Well done, my brave son. Don’t be afraid, now. We’ll all be there.” When he looked up, she was gone.

“I was tired of playing with your lady love anyway.” Voldemort was right behind Harry, cold anger in his voice. “It’s your turn, Potter. I am so weary of you.”

Harry, in the last, the answer will be known when you listen to your heart. Trust your instincts.


Harry leapt in front of Ginny to protect her and turned to face Voldemort.

“HARRY, NO!”

“Avada Kedavra!”

A blast of green light hit Harry with full force. He stumbled for a moment, but, astonishingly, did not fall. Then Voldemort watched with horror as the lightening-bolt scar on Harry’s forehead glowed bright red. Voldemort backed away realizing, too late, the enormity of his mistake as a powerful bolt of blinding golden light shot out from Harry’s scar. It hit Voldemort so strongly that he was thrown high into the air and fell into the fire pit in the middle of the stone circle. Some of the embers still burned and caught the edges of his robes with their fiery fingers and then, with a terrible explosion of flames, what remained of the Dark Lord was gone.
Part 6 - Phoenix Song by Starmom
Author's Notes:
The aftermath and the Very End.
Part 6 “ Phoenix Song


Silence suddenly descended upon the battle-strewn plain. The moment before the air had been filled with shrieks, screams and terror, and now ” sudden quiet. Without a word, they knew it was over. The warriors lifted their eyes to find the dawn rising over the tallest of the ancient standing stones. On the edges of the field, the remnants of their enemy were fleeing and then, a clarion call slowly filled the silence, and their hearts leapt. It was the cry of the phoenix. Its plaintive song filled their hearts with a confusing mix of hope, happiness, and sorrow.

They saw the bird at the same time, blazing like the fire it came from, as bright as the rising sun. It was Fawkes. His beckoning call rang out as he flew in graceful circles above a green and black plume of smoke that wafted towards the lightening clouds at the farthest edge of the battlefield.

Slowly, but with a single purpose, the battle-worn began to move, heeding Fawkes’ call. Those who were injured were assisted by their comrades, but all who were still alive moved inexorably towards the site they instinctively knew was the place of the final and fatal confrontation.

***


Ron and Hermione had pulled both Ginny and Harry out of the smoke-filled circle and now Ginny sat, in the dew-filled grass, holding Harry gently in her arms, her body shaking as silent tears streamed down her blood-stained face.

“He died to save me,” she whispered to no one, although Hermione and Ron heard. “It’s my fault. He’d still be alive if….”

“Ginny.” Hermione bent down and held Ginny’s hand gently, struggling through her own terrible feelings of shock and grief. “I think Harry knew, somehow, that it had to end this way. Everything ” every moment led towards it. He always said he’d have to do it alone. It was”,” Hermione’s voice shook, then broke. “It was ” I truly believe this Ginny ” the only way.”

Hermione collapsed in a heap of tears and exhaustion. Ron reached out and enfolded her in his arms.

“Ginny,” Ron started hesitantly as he stroked Hermione’s hair, “please don’t blame yourself for this… Harry would never want you to live the rest of your life hating yourself.” His own tears flowed without restraint as he held onto Hermione tightly. “It was his love for you that saved you ” saved all of us ” and killed....” He paused and both Ron and Hermione glanced to the fire still burning, where the smouldering remains of their enemy rose in the dark, foul smoke into the sky.

“It ended as it began.” This voice belonged to Luna, who moved towards them with Neville limping alongside her, his arm using her shoulder for support. Neville wept openly as he saw Ginny rocking Harry’s body. Luna held on to him tightly, clearly much stronger than her light frame would indicate. “Voldemort wasn’t really that bright was he?” Luna remarked in her usual calm and understated manner. “You think he’d have learned his lesson the first time, wouldn’t you?”

Then, appearing from out of the ash-filled circle of stones was Malfoy. They all watched as he approached, his blond hair darkened by the smoke, and covered in blood and dirt. He stopped short of reaching them, looking uncertain and alone. Hermione looked at Ron for a moment and he gave her a slight nod of approval. She stood and steadied herself, and then all eyes followed her as she walked over to Malfoy and took his hands in hers.

“Draco,” Hermione said, reaching out to touch his battered forehead, “are you all right?”

Malfoy flinched at her touch. His eyes, shielded with caution and uncertainty, darted over towards Harry and Ginny. “Is he dead?” he asked huskily, ignoring her question.

Hermione couldn’t say it, but she nodded.

Malfoy coughed hard and wiped his blackened face with the back of his hand. His voice was raspy and laboured. “This is my fault. I should have stopped her.”

“You were the one who ran in after her! You didn’t have to do that, but you did!”

“But I failed, didn’t I?” Malfoy said with bitter sarcasm. “I’ve failed all of you, just as I failed my family... just as I always have.”

Hermione wasn’t having any of this. She grabbed him by the shoulders and forced him to look at her. “Listen to me Draco Malfoy,” she said forcefully through choking sob. “Voldemort is dead. Harry killed him, but he was only able to do it because of everything you did to make it possible. You helped to set us all free. Do you understand me?!”

“B-but Harry....” stuttered Malfoy, taken aback by the sudden outburst of Hermione’s anger. He found it hard to look at her, to witness her grief, but Hermione refused to let him go.

“Harry was proud of you, Draco,” she said, more gently this time, wiping the tears from her face with the back of her hand. “You made all the difference. And, most importantly, it was YOU that broke Slytherin’s curse by helping us to unite, at last.” Hermione embraced Malfoy and held him tightly. Slowly, his arms went around her as well, and then, adding his sobs to hers, released the fears and doubts that had held him fast for so long.

After several moments, they parted, Malfoy smiling a bit sheepishly through his tears. Holding his hand, Hermione led them over to the others. Susan was the first to embrace him and then, each of them in turn, acknowledged and welcomed Draco Malfoy.

Wearily, almost trancelike, Hermione returned to Ron who was sitting by Ginny’s side. He looked like a small boy, not unlike the one she had once met long ago on a train. Seeing her, Ron rose and held out his hands. She flung her arms around his neck and they held each other tightly. They stood that way for several minutes, weeping silently, until Hermione spoke.

“What will we do, Ron? How will we bear it?”

Ron caressed her hair and kissed her gently on the forehead.

“We’ll live,” he replied softly. “We’ll live and love each other.”

***

The small group of students heard Fawkes’ song before they saw him, circling overhead. His song echoed their grief, just as it had done once before. It soothed them as they surrounded Ginny and Harry, leaning into each other, needing to touch and be touched.

It was Neville who first saw the battle-weary army approach. Molly reached them first, pushing the others aside and, reaching Ginny, wrapped her daughter in a tight embrace. Slowly, other circles formed around Harry and Ginny and their friends. First were the gathered remnants of the Order of the Phoenix ” Arthur, Charlie, Fred, and George. Then McGonagall, Tonks, Moody, Aberforth, Hagrid, and Kingsley. Behind them were their classmates, teachers, and house-elves. In the outer circle were the Aurors, Scrimgeour, and others from the Ministry’s army.

They stood as one, circle behind circle, silent, watching Harry being rocked by Ginny and listening to the sound of the Phoenix song. The song was a prayer for them all. It spoke of peace and renewal. It touched them all and gave them hope. Then, finally, the song ended. They all looked up to watch Fawkes vanish, for the last time, into flames.

From the midst of the circles came the large figure of Hagrid, who bent over Ginny, his own giant tears creating puddles in the grass. “Let me take him up for yer,” he said gently, his deep voice wavering. “I’ll take him back to Hogwarts. It was the only real home he knew.” He reached out to lift Harry, but Ginny stopped him.

“No, not yet! It’s ” it’s not done,” Ginny stammered. Hagrid stepped back, respectful but clearly concerned.

Ron and Hermione could hardly bear to watch Ginny struggle to let Harry go, but Hermione finally asked, “What do you mean it’s not ‘done,’ Ginny?”

Without answering, Ginny bent over and kissed Harry’s forehead. They all watched, hardly able to breathe. Then, gently cupping his face with both hands, she brushed his lips with her own. Finally, she lifted her head and took in the many people she loved who surrounded her. Something vibrant seemed to radiate from within her and, remarkably, Ginny smiled.

“It’s gone,” she said.

Hermione and Ron knelt down beside her and each took one of Harry’s hands. “What’s gone?” asked Ron in a whisper.

Ginny gently brushed aside the hair from Harry’s forehead. His face looked peaceful and whole.

“It's gone," she repeated softly. “His scar.”


*** Finite Incantatem ***



For my readers who are bereft at my vision of Harry's fate, I can only say this is what I envisioned at the time I wrote this a year ago. I have to say that I do not NOW think JKR will let this be Harry's end. In any case, thanks for reading and I am especially grateful for all of you who took the time to leave a comment!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67580